Speaker 1: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: He's Talking Cowboys live from the Dallas Cowboys World at.
Speaker 2: The Stars.
Speaker 1: And now your host Isaiah Stan, Patrick Wi Harris, and Kyle Yemans. It's another off season edition of Talking Cowboys. Here from the s w e C Studios at the Star in Frisco, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. Welcome into another episode. It's a different episode.
Speaker 2: We have Nick Harris's name in the intro for the first time. Sounded good. It's official now, Yeah, we couldn't give it away last week. Yeah, yeah, we had to.
Speaker 1: We had to wait a week kind of let the surprise happen. Now now, now it's in there. Now it's official.
Speaker 2: We're good to go. Patrick Nosey Walker out on vacation doing his thing.
Speaker 3: I scared him away, That's what really happened. All right, he'll be back next week.
Speaker 2: Oh good, nice, I will not be here. So you scared me away the second time around.
Speaker 1: But then we've got Isaiah stand back in the building. Hi, Kyle, how's your cracking?
Speaker 2: What's cracking? Yeah, what's cracking seven to two on Sunday? Oh my, you have to remind everybody about that. Yeah, it's okay. You know you need sometimes you need a wake up call.
Speaker 4: Sometimes a series and it's just gonna it's gonna flip where sometimes teams just wake up.
Speaker 1: It's gonna flip. That team's gonna wake up tonight. Oh you guys sleeping? Oh they were through games. Oh yeah, no doubt. All right, no doubt.
Speaker 2: So go stars, go go get the win the night.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and forces at least to six and then I'll go watch it clitching on the road and that'd be great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, watch the watch the stars are six. I might have to come up there and meet you.
Speaker 2: Come on with it. Oh, that would be fun. That would be fun. Knuckles man, Why what's going on? I don't know whatever reason I've been giving. I've been getting called like knuckles today, and it.
Speaker 1: Just hurts a little bit at a little bit more hardware on the little bit of a little bit of shine there.
Speaker 2: Look at that. Yeah, nice Sunday baby.
Speaker 1: She is now officially Lorena Yeoman's your sun boomed?
Speaker 5: How about that long term contract?
Speaker 2: Lifetime kind bro The Night of our freaking lines. It was incredible. So many freaking fantasy land right there. It was.
Speaker 1: It was it was a fairy tale and she's a Disney princess, So there you go.
Speaker 2: I mean that's just kind of the.
Speaker 1: Whole whole thought process behind it. Everybody that's in here was there. I mean it was you guys saw the emotion that was there.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I mean you didn't hold it together at all, due not at all.
Speaker 1: Once the once the videos come out, and I'm so excited for the videos and the photos are going to be incredible. We had a dream team, vendor team, like, I mean, they were all incredible, and uh the video because I mean I was so in the moment and you could see I was just trying to keep it together as much as I possibly could.
Speaker 2: That didn't last very long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, Kyle, But man, it was it was awesome.
Speaker 2: You know, you have, you and Steph Curry have some things in common.
Speaker 4: Interested you and Steph Curry and you guys don't look like brothers or nothing like that.
Speaker 2: But one comming olity is you guys both shoot your shots. Yeah, and I don't know if.
Speaker 4: You know this, but take a look at your screen right now, this was this was Kyle. This was the napkin okay, at his at his reception, and this was the first shot that he shot at his young wife, Lorena.
Speaker 2: Now let me just look at it.
Speaker 5: Then that's a wordsmith if I've ever seen one.
Speaker 2: Litten, let's god of read that out. Okay. So there was a picture of his now wife, Okay.
Speaker 4: And it said this was what Kyle said in the DM, looking like a dime among the pines.
Speaker 2: Fire fire. That was your first shot at her? Yeah, if she responded, she did.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: We had known each other for years up to that point because we had met in college and so we just kind of kept up with each other. She was actually an intern with the Cowboys for a little bit, Okay, so we kind of kept in touch. And then COVID happened and she went on this trip in the middle of twenty twenty and I sent her that DM.
Speaker 2: She kind of out of the blue.
Speaker 1: We had not talked, we had not texted, we had not been romantically involved at all, like, but she was.
Speaker 2: She was looking like a dime amongst the pines, a dime amongst the pipes. That was what works? Would that have been your word choicing it.
Speaker 5: If it's that easy, then I don't know what.
Speaker 4: A dime among the pines. When mister Beemer in the back saw that and I saw that, we we lost it good.
Speaker 2: We lost it.
Speaker 4: But you know what, but we gained a lot of You gained a lot of respect that day because I don't think I would have shot that shot with those words, and it worked.
Speaker 3: The confidence, that's it's all. It's it's all about the confidence. As long as you have the confidence.
Speaker 6: Isaiah say to me, is like, hey, man, can you get that on the screen?
Speaker 1: And so it was Isaiah's I did I never do that.
Speaker 4: I mean I would have never thought that pine, trees and fire go together, but he found a way to make it go together.
Speaker 1: I don't know I should have put the tree emojis, honestly, but it worked out.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to change it.
Speaker 4: Normally you put three emojis back to back. You don't even put two. So you were in a rush to get that text out. You wanted to hurry.
Speaker 2: I want to get that thing out of there.
Speaker 1: How did I How long did I look at that long two emojis? I think I was confident. I went I shoved that shot up there man like it was. It was like a half court heave, Like that's what I needed. And you talk about out kicking your coverage and shooting your shot like, I mean I got both of.
Speaker 2: Those things down.
Speaker 1: All all of the sports analogies all kind of they all were there.
Speaker 2: I mean she was. She was the most beautiful bride, she really was.
Speaker 1: And uh, I can't wait for for Cowboys Nation to see the pictures because they're gonna see him garantee.
Speaker 4: She is an awesome individual. Yeah you really, you got you him? And she is an awesome human.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: If you guys have never had the opportunity to meet her, she is just just genuine as they come.
Speaker 2: Like literally, like there's no there's no anger.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if she even gets mad, or she does get mad, I wouldn't want to be around her.
Speaker 2: She gets mad, Yeah, she's She's from New York, so she's fine. Probably smiles when she's mad. That's probably a little bit. Yeah that's scary. Yeah, no, I'm gonna pray for you. It hasn't.
Speaker 1: Luckily, it hasn't been towards me a lot because I'm trying to avoid that. But every once in a while every once in a while, but she's the best and and I can't wait. But man, yeah, so much fun. I'm so glad you guys were there, and and I can't.
Speaker 2: Wait for sure, right man?
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, what did you think about the dance? By the way, what do you think about the first dance?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was your goal to move man. I was worried about your hamstring, but you did good.
Speaker 7: Bro.
Speaker 2: I worked out with you in the morning. You tried, you tried to kill me. He y, he didn't sing in that be real. I wish I could have put that up here. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I did not send that to you. But but Khy and his crew they came through in the morning. That was Kyle's request, can we work out the morning of my wedding? And I was like, are you serious right now? He was like yeah, I'm like all right, I'm not going to kill you.
Speaker 2: It was great. Actually, I love it. I'm glad you guys had a good time. Somehow, some way.
Speaker 4: He has two guys and his as his groomsmen that were both like mcglevin's. They one looks just like mcglevin, but he has two that act like mcglevin. I don't know how that worked. But your guys are awesome too.
Speaker 1: They were great, And I mean there was one Giants fan that was in there and he was geeking out and he told me last night we were having dinner and he was he was on the bench working out, and he was like, man, he.
Speaker 2: Won a Super Bowl for me.
Speaker 1: He was trying to finish his rap and he was trying to push it through and and he was like, he did it for me, This is for him, Like it was.
Speaker 2: It was fun, man. Everybody else was Cowboys fans.
Speaker 4: That makes it makes sense, I mean, because based upon what these guys are doing with their roster, they look like they're trying to get another thing on their form too.
Speaker 1: So let's let's talk about that. Enough about the wedding and we'll talk plenty about it. I'm sure at some point we'll get the b roll up there. But let's talk about the yopsis for the Cowboys because we have some some big dates coming up. Thursday schedule release, so you get you're going to get to know the schedule, you know the home, you know the away opponents.
Speaker 2: We can kind of go through that if we really want to, but Thursday, anyways.
Speaker 1: Is going to be where it's all organized and you kind of know what's going on for this Cowboys schedule.
Speaker 2: But this offseason has been a good one, right for the most part. You kind of feel like it's been a good off season.
Speaker 1: What has been the most improved part of this roster from the beginning of the off season, through the draft, through undrafted free agency, and now on to the point where we're getting close to rookie mini camp, we're getting close to OTA's nick.
Speaker 2: Where do you feel like they've taken the biggest step.
Speaker 5: I think it's just filling holes and parts of need.
Speaker 3: You know, there's going to be a lot of inexperienced guys that are going to get an opportunity in training camp to step up. You know, I'm doing a breakdown the linebacker position right now, especially with the possibility that Micah Parsons could be spinning down to defensive end. Maybe that's something we get into later, but who kind of fills that role? And you know, there's a lot of open bodies that you know are ready to take on that challenge. And then if you at the offensive line, you know, if injuries are to happen, we kind of talked about it last week. You know, you have guys that are ready to step in and potentially contribute, and then you know, taking out Ezekiel Elliott, but inserting Deuce Vaughan that's explosion.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Then there was explosion that was needed at times last year, especially whenever the offense got stagnant, you know, adding weapons in the receiving corps with Brandon Cooks, more explosions. So I think there was just a lot of points of need, especially on the offensive side of the ball. And we saw how the season ended against San Francisco and needing that extra explosion. I think that was the most important part of need. So that maybe that was the biggest addressing of need that happened, was adding that explosion, but just overall on both sides of the ball, adding points of need.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to lean it towards defense.
Speaker 4: I totally agree with what you said, But if I had to pick a side, I'm gonna say that they made a decision at the in this offseason, if we had to make a choice between offense or defense being more dominant, I think they chose defense. I think they chose to be more dominant on defense. I mean that probably goes towards the fact that they felt like they're closer to being in that in that category of dominance, Right, It's like, we're probably closer.
Speaker 2: To being dominant on defense more so than offense.
Speaker 4: So let's just go ahead and just throw the extra chips in it that we need to be unstoppable in that regard, and I think that that's what they attained to try to that's what they sought after the do this offseason, obviously by adding to the secondary. Right, we did that by going out there in slidi fying at the quarterback position, and we went out there and added in a draft as well at the d line position, addressing that hole. Okay, you added an overshown at the linebacker position in terms of adding another speed guy at that second level, because you knew that you were going to lose lose quote unquote a linebacker, right, so you needed somebody else in that regard. And I still think they need to address that and within free agency, I think that needs to be addressed because I think we need probably two more guys at linebacker. But in terms of speed at the second level and being able to run and rush from that position, I think that they addressed that as well.
Speaker 2: So the addition to Gilmore, the edition of Smith, the addition of Overshow, I think.
Speaker 4: That they did a great job adding at every single level of that, and I think they are now in that category of dominant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it goes back to I mean we've talked about it before on this show. I know we talked about it on the Draft show. But if you have enough of one thing at another, if you are good at one spot, go ahead and keep addict, right, I mean, never relax in that regard. And you brought back Dan quint because of what he did in his first season, how he improved upon that in his second season. And of course he is well qualified to be a head coach in the NFL. Everybody that's listening to this podcast probably knows that he's here for a reason, and he's here to be elite. He's here to build something special, and in order to do that, he needed a couple of pieces. Went out and got a veteran corner that can play with Trayvon Diggs, that can play with Doron Bland, that can play with these guys that you're gonna sprinkle in like a nay Sean, Right, and then even in Eric Scott if he ends up making a bit of a push as a draft picker.
Speaker 2: But you have a veteran quarter in Stefan Gilmourre that you can rely on.
Speaker 1: Now you have a big, big dude in the middle, not only to stop the run, but to try and present a little pass.
Speaker 2: Rush too, And that's Manzi Smith.
Speaker 4: And if there was no day in Quinn, you wouldn't have resigned Vanderish, you wouldn't have resigned Donal. Like those were the huge additions as well that people don't really look at. Obviously that kind of get overlooked, but those were key acquisitions as well, because those guys could have went wherever they wanted at that point. Right, So retaining Vanderish, retaining Donal, now all of a sudden, you're bringing guys back that Okay, these are sure things in our defense. Now to your point, Kyle, let's add to it right now, let's add what do we need to push us over the edge. It kind of gives me the vision of the game at the arcade, you know, the little quarters, and it has a little thing that keeps a little sweeper that keeps coming forward like they you just feel like Okay, if I.
Speaker 2: Just put a quarter right here, they're all going to fall forward.
Speaker 4: Like that's what they needed. They needed just those guys in places. Okay, now they're there. Now let's go ahead and drop a couple more in there, and they just this just might push us over the edge. You got the big tower leaning on the edge, right, because that's what you were last year.
Speaker 2: You were there.
Speaker 1: You were there to be elite, you were there to be dominant. So that coin tower standing right there on the edge, and.
Speaker 2: It just needs to get pushed over.
Speaker 4: If your offense you now fear this defense. I mean you already respected it. You had a high regard for this defense. But now it's like where is the weak spot? Based on paper?
Speaker 2: Right, bas not only just paper, but what they have shown in the past.
Speaker 4: So you retain pretty much everybody that you needed to retain, and then you add it onto it.
Speaker 2: So where they were weak, there's no longer a weakness there. There's not a soft spot. Right.
Speaker 4: It's like you were able to poke somebody in the stomach like Pillsbury. Okay, now that's a dog on rock hard stomach, right, Like this is no longer soft. The middle of the defense is no longer soft. Right, the linebacker of the corps is gonna get figured out. The cornerback position. Okay, we had some guys go down last year. We had some young, inexperienced guys. Okay, but now guess what. I'll look over there and I and I and I see dog On Gilmour. I look over on the other side and I see Digs. It's like, crap, there's no week spots. Let's go to the slot. Oh dog goner goes that dog On, second year player that was out there intercepting everything that came his way. Right, yeah, d dB so mean. So now you have no weak spots there. Okay, let's go to the secondary. Crap, they got all three safeties back.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool, let's go to the d line. Oh, we don't want to pass against these guys. Get in the backfield. Okay, let's run the ball. Shoot, you got a dog On, you got the big boys in the middle. Now can't a twin tower. So now you have addressed all the weak spots, and there's no good place to attack this defense. Just like there's these bowling ball fullbacks. There's no good place to hit them. There's no big good place to attack this defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you got six hundred and fifty pounds and then interior defensive behind.
Speaker 5: Now, no, it's just.
Speaker 3: That's that's not easy to run the ball off. But the defense is it is creating a fail safe of itself in some ways. You know, offense is like, Okay, we're gonna go out in that explosion, and defense is like, okay, like we see that, but we're gonna be ready in case that doesn't work out. And you know those times last year where you know the defense and again I mentioned this last week where the defense was on the field so much. But if you have guys that can rotate in and you don't have to have Mazie and Hankins on the field at the same time they can rotate in.
Speaker 5: Then you're creating a fail safe for yourself.
Speaker 3: And they can't run the ball against those guys, and you know that makes it a lot easier on your defense.
Speaker 1: Man, when's the last time that you have looked at this defense and said, exactly what I said and what Nick just said, you.
Speaker 2: Fear this defense?
Speaker 1: Because yeah, they were feared last year to a certain extent, but there wasn't a culture around it of like, oh man, those Cowboys are coming.
Speaker 2: Yet there was a couple holes. There were a couple of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean we were through the middle of October last year before they gave up two touchdowns in a game. They were the only team that did not give up multiple touchdowns.
Speaker 2: In a game until the later part of October. That's nuts, That is nuts. Two touchdowns, that's all it took.
Speaker 1: No, they only gave up one. Of course, there were some up and downs toward the back half of the season. But if they've improved the way that they think they have, or at least on paper it looks like they've improved, I think there is there's a culture that's being built, and it's being built yes with Mike McCarthy, but Dan Quinn is the one that's leading that charge on the defensive side.
Speaker 2: Now you've got the offensive side that needs to catch up.
Speaker 1: And then that's kind of where I'm going with it, because Nick, you said fail safe, you kind of need a fail safe because the offense right now, at least coming off of the season that they did, looks like they could use that fire power. Have they added enough with Brandon Cooks with the draft picks to build some confidence in terms of the firepower.
Speaker 2: That they have.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 3: So you know, you have a veteran in the room that knows how to play in a fiery offense and an explosive offense. He's played with Drew Brees, he's played with Tom Brady talking about Brandon Cooks, you know, can he bring that same element to the offense and also stay healthy And if he can, then yeah, absolutely, then we're talking about something. And especially if duce Vaughan can come in and contribute immediately, whether it be from out of the backfield or in the slot. I'm honestly kind of tempering my expectations on Ducevon going into the year just because he's still young.
Speaker 5: He's still small at the end of the day, and he is.
Speaker 1: A six round pick, and six round pick for sure, that's one of those developmental picks. And even I mean I had a fifth round great on him, that's a developmental round too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And let's say it works out and you know by the mid by mid season or late in the season, you know he's becoming an actual offensive weapon, then yeah, I think you have added enough of explosive fire and this to your offense. But looking at CD and Brandon Cooks alone in the receiving cores and then you have some athletic, versatile guys that are playing tight end. Now, I think the potential is there. It's always the potential has always been there, though it's about meeting it. And you know, I think with a different philosophy in the offensive game plan, we'll see early on if it's gonna work or not. I can tell you by game three, we're gonna look up and be like, Okay, I think this is the right mover. We're gonna be like, oh, this defense is gonna have to help us this year. So I think we'll know early on.
Speaker 1: We're gonna we're gonna have people thinking they've solved it through game one. Right, It'll be halftime and I'll send out my halftime thoughts, question mark, question mark, and everybody's gonna be like, we need to get out of here.
Speaker 2: Like we need like like sell the team, like it's gonna be a terrible things.
Speaker 4: What do you guys believe that Brandon Cooks saw in Dack for him to come out and make the statement he made last week that.
Speaker 2: I kind of want to get to that.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about that a little bit, so I want to talk about that and then some of these young wide receivers that could maybe step up.
Speaker 2: Let's take our first break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we'll set that up and talk about it a little bit more with more talking cowboys.
Speaker 8: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheat of Savanna. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 9: FIVEG requires compatable planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 7: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles Expert Roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, so it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team.
Speaker 2: Go online at.
Speaker 7: Black Riflecoffee dot com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. That's Black Riflecoffee dot Com to fuel up today.
Speaker 10: Hey honey, can we talk?
Speaker 2: Of course? What's up? Well?
Speaker 10: I just thought you should know. I've been curious the new Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream.
Speaker 2: Have you vote this way a long time?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 10: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 5: If you feel that way, I think you should try it, Babe.
Speaker 10: It's amazing. I mean you're amazing too.
Speaker 11: Nude Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream the new flavor you deserve once he uses.
Speaker 1: The cowboys locker rooms favorite products. Check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now, you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys and use the code word cowboys.
Speaker 2: The Jack Black playmaker Tim Bucks free shipping to the Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Ope back here on Talking Cowboys. We're grabbing the reeds so that way we can pay the bills the right way. Here on Talking Cowboys, presented by a Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Okay, guys, Head to Miller Lighthouse at and.
Speaker 1: T Stadium for the Dallas Cowboys Tacos and Tuons Festival, presented by Miller Light this Saturday, May thirteenth, from two to seven pm. Enjoy a variety of tacos and food truck options while you sip on cold drinks and listen to live music. Admission and parking for the Dallas Cowboys Tacos and Tunes Festival is free. Visit att Stadium dot com slash Tacos and Tunes for more info.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite type of taco?
Speaker 3: Just just regular beef fijido with some you know, cilantro cut onions in there.
Speaker 5: You know, a little sausa.
Speaker 2: Okay, favorite taco? Give me bean and cheese. Man, I'm good. I love me a being a cheese taco. I'm right there with you, dude. I don't know if that's my favorite. I like like chicken vehidas are great, but I don't know if that. Would you consider a fajida a taco? That's a good question. Is a fia to a taco? I don't know. I mean it's it's very similar. Passed on to the social media team for CA, but it's different.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it's we've come up with great ideas social media team on the show before, so they can take it.
Speaker 2: Kyle your favorite tacos please? Yeah?
Speaker 1: DM me my yeah, favorite tacos that Kyle underscore yeomen's on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Just throw it. It would just make me hungry. Honestly, we need it.
Speaker 3: Out of context Talking Cowboys page is at a taco and.
Speaker 2: Just having a good question.
Speaker 1: Do we need to just tweet it on the Talk of Cowboys page. I feel like everything is out of context. Anyways, we could just put looking like a dime amongst the pines and then put and then put it a taco.
Speaker 2: Put that on the team page. We need that. We need that a pair of t shirt dime p I would I would pay you guys to show up with T shirts like I will got a page.
Speaker 12: I would rock that T shirt and wear hard. I'm waiting to camp, though, bro, I would totally need that camp. I'm wearing a white T shirt with it on. Absolutely have some Kaki shorts on. I already got the outfit picked out and I'll just.
Speaker 2: Have a fire. Don't make a white that's on TV.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I came straight from the wedding hotel. I didn't even get a polo on the day. So yeah, maybe the hotel kicking it.
Speaker 2: Today's last day. They're checking out in an hour, so you know, once we get off, I can go back over there.
Speaker 1: But uh, all right, so you you mentioned the statement that Brandon Cooks made last week about Dak Prescott. So while they were at the Ralliant home run derby and they were having having fun, raising money for great causes and doing some some really cool events out there at the Rough Riders.
Speaker 2: Field, before you go to that, do we have any representatives? We did? We did have a rep. Who's Patrick.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: C Walker was our Rep. Patrick.
Speaker 4: No, he's not here to defend himself today, but he's not, but beemer, do we know how he did in the home run Derby who Patrick Patrick?
Speaker 12: No, s.
Speaker 2: I mean I can get someone on the phone. There's a there there's a rumor saying with your own eyes.
Speaker 3: There was a rumor that Kyle's bat came into play as far as there wasn't quote enough pop on the bat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did say that. So there wasn't enough pop on the bat. Ye, not the user, but the bat didn't have it. Okay.
Speaker 4: So being that the user didn't have any issues, what did his user? How many times did he hit it over the fence?
Speaker 5: I don't have the numbers on that one?
Speaker 2: Did zero? Oh? Nikes? Yeah, I don't think he hit one. I don't. I don't think he hit one. Uh the baseball player. Now, he raised one thousand dollars for charity. So he killed it. Yeah, so he put it in play, he hit it well, okay, he just didn't hit it over the fine. He didn't drop the album. I want to. I want to bring this up.
Speaker 1: So he was talking about the bat right and he and you were saying that I told him not to bring his bat, which I did.
Speaker 2: I did. I told him. I was like, you don't need it bad, you really don't. You can use your own bat.
Speaker 1: It's going to be fine, but then the bat has no pop on it. Argument, let's take this, let's take my camera right here. Last year, this is me last year. But if you can put it on camera here, let me you see it out, Kyle, I sent out thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah with that that bat. So you see the red stripes, the red and white stripes. It's an Eastern bat with like a little bit.
Speaker 1: Of pine tar on it or something intensity in a fake yellow and black no mouthpiece.
Speaker 2: That's Patrick m It looks like he's gonna bat. It's the same bat. Guys. Oh my, it's the same bats. Wow. Look at those manicured nails. Wow. Stop it the red, the red and white, red and white.
Speaker 5: I didn't notice the.
Speaker 2: Wow. So red and white, red and white. And then it's the same bat, baby, the same bat.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So same bat, different user, different results, different results.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can't wait till he's back. He's gonna hate the fact that we had this conversation and then I'm not gonna be here.
Speaker 4: I too have made those statements about a bat not having enough pop, but you usually like okay, instead of it going four hundred and you know, it went like three fifty.
Speaker 2: Stop how are you putting hundred out? How far is that fence that you guys were hitting on? Oh it's short, smash, smash, so mash. He smashed some baseballs though he hit it hard. You know what video, He hit it hard.
Speaker 1: He was hitting line drives though he's getting base You gotta get under it.
Speaker 2: That's the big thing. You gotta get under it. And it's trying to drop that into that back. Hell dude, Yeah, that's that was.
Speaker 4: But you know he raised money, so good job, no thousand, good job raised some money forever for for the needy.
Speaker 2: But but we gotta work at your hitting.
Speaker 1: Okay, go ahead, we'll get him out there next year. We're gonna make it work, all right. So Brandon Cooks On Wednesday, during that that event during the reliant home run, Derby said, I've been around some great ones speaking on Dak Prescott and quarterbacks in general, and we've been throwing and I've got to tell you that guy can sling the ball.
Speaker 2: He is special. Thoughts on how he I mean, because he's played with some good quarterbacks. What quarterbacks does he played with? Uh, let's let's list them.
Speaker 5: Drew Brees and Tom Brady. I know oh those two guys, Davis Mills, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh good. Drew Brees has a cannon. Tom Brady has a cannon. Yeah. Yeah, So for him to come out.
Speaker 4: And say that that dude can sling it, yeah, he's throwing them in the category of at least arm strength. He's at least addressing the arms strength aspect of things. Okay, then he he is special. That's what caught my attention.
Speaker 1: It's different, right, it's a different saying it's different. Yeah, you don't have to say that.
Speaker 3: And I think the word choice of sling it really emphasizes power. Yeah, yeah, it's not man, he puts it on a dime. He's he's putting it right in my bread baskets.
Speaker 5: He can sling it.
Speaker 4: He's not talking about the acuracy aspect. He's talking about straight, pure, pure velocity.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But then he did the special comic really grabbed my attention because of the quarterbacks that he's played with. So he made it very clear that hey, I've played with some great ones, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, some of thea this one is special. So he's making a distinct difference between this one and the ones he's already played with.
Speaker 2: What did he see so far?
Speaker 4: What has he seen so far in Dak that he may not have seen or is complementary to what he's seen in the past.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's an interesting question.
Speaker 3: Just I mean, if we're looking at where Dak is in his career right now, are we talking peak potential?
Speaker 5: Just let's take the turnovers out of the equation.
Speaker 3: What he's been able to do with play action, what he's been able to do with you know, taking on different challenges with many different offensive philosophies, being able to adjust to that in a quick way, being able to score in bursts at times.
Speaker 5: Do we think he's kind of in his peak right now?
Speaker 3: And if we say yes, then I see where Brandon Cooks is coming from, because a peak Dak does look pretty good.
Speaker 5: Is it a top five to eight quarterback in the league. I think that's something for debate.
Speaker 3: But if he thinks it is, then you know, I think there is something to see there, and it's Dak at his bet and I think that is special.
Speaker 1: When you look at the list of quarterbacks that are in the NFC compared to the list of quarterbacks that are in the AFC, it's argued that dak is a top two or three quarterback in the NFC, right, Yeah, I mean that's just just based on not saying in the NFL, but in the NFC he is. I mean it's him, Jalen Hurts, Kirk Cousins and those are kind of the three guys. Daniel Jones is even up there. Am I missing anybody in terms of the NFC because it's really kind of a mess quarterback wise. So to be in the position that the Cowboys are in, to have a quarterback that you can rely on, find him that firepower, find him the weapons on the outside that where he can have some success. Block up front for him, go and get him some offensive line help. And I think if you would ask Cowboys fans and pull Cowboys fans right now, where are they the weakest offensively, it'd probably be the interior of the offensive line. Find a way to protect that guy. Because now he has some weapons like a Brandon Cooks to throw the football too. He has a new tight end to throw the football to Luke skun Maker, So you have some options there. But can he put it together from an offensive line standpoint and a pressure standpoint to really sit back and deliver and sling it like Brandon Cooks is talking about. That's the biggest thing for me right now now with Brandon specifically, what should the expectations be for Brandon Cooks? Because six one thousand yard receives or one thousand yard receiving seasons, two of those in New Orleans, one with Tom Brady in New England, one with the Rams and Jared goff in twenty eighteen, and then two with Houston twenty twenty and twenty twenty one. Last year, Brandon Cooks had fifty seven receptions for six hundred and ninety nine yards in thirteen games. So based on his last couple of seasons, he's had one thousand yards and two of three. What should the expectations be for Brandon Cooks going into his first Cowboys heear.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure, Cayle.
Speaker 4: I'm really intrigued and interested to see how they're going to utilize him in CD together.
Speaker 2: I don't get into that number one, number two one A one be. I don't get into that mess. Right Well, it's one too. I mean it's pretty I see, then Cooks, when you're.
Speaker 4: Running complementary offense, like I don't, I don't, you know, personally, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 4: Like, if you're gonna pick one guy, the only time you're gonna really need to have a number one is if you're getting down on goal line and you're going freaking, you know, freaking thirteen personnelity, you know, like that's that's the only time. Like they're really mad as But these guys are gonna play and they're gonna boast well for each other. I'm interested interested to see what type of route concepts in route trees they are going to be asked to run. They can run it all, no doubt about that, but most guys gravitate towards a handful of routes that they run really well, and their coaches rely on them. When they have these concepts they call these concepts, they're gonna say, hey, you know, Cooks, he's he's our he's our dig runner.
Speaker 2: You know, see these are post runner like.
Speaker 4: Whatever those guys do really well, they're gonna kind of lean on them to be experts in those particular routes. I'm interested interested to see which of those routes they lean on each of those guys, and if they differ, are they gonna be kind of do they run the same routes the same way?
Speaker 2: Do they you know, does one guy run a double move better than the other guy.
Speaker 4: I want to see that competition, and I'm hoping that it's an interpersonal competition between those two that helps elevate both of their games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it starts obviously with where they line up. You know, they've talked about wanting to hone in CD in the slot and have him, you know, have the whole field to be able to use those route concepts. So do they keep him at the slot and put Cooks out at the Z and let him work right off the line, or do they move them both between both sides and you know, just kind of make it fluid throughout the entire game because that eventually makes it tougher to cover. So I think that'll be really interesting to see. I think we could see that as early as preseason.
Speaker 1: And you also want some supplemental weaponry too, right, you want to find some of those guys, those younger guys, Jalen Tolbert and even Simmi Fojoko.
Speaker 2: It's weird calling him a younger guy.
Speaker 1: Now, like the time is up for Simmy Fojoko he's got to get some sort of product taken care of. So with those two guys in the fold, the wide receiving core could look complete from top to bottom if you have some production underneath, with the addition of cooks and then with a step up from those guys. So when we come back, I want to talk about the possibilities for this young wide receiver corps and getting some reps. Really interesting mail bag question. Nick and Patrick did it. Both both did a great job of answering that mail bag question. I kind of want to go through it and get your thoughts Isaiah, and Nick, I want you to kind of explain your answer there too when we come back.
Speaker 8: Right here on Talking Cowboys, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and t five g it is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G fast, reliable, secure, it's not complicated.
Speaker 9: Five dw Requires's compatable Planning Device by G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash by G for you for details.
Speaker 7: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves.
Speaker 9: Football, so it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team.
Speaker 7: Go online at Black Riflecoffee dot com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: That's Black Riflecoffee dot Com. To fuel up today.
Speaker 10: Hey honey, can we talk?
Speaker 2: Of course? What's up? Well?
Speaker 10: I just thought you should know. I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper strawberries and cream.
Speaker 2: Have you felt this way a long time?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 10: I just think I'd really like the taste of Doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 5: If you feel that way, I think you should try it, babe.
Speaker 10: It's amazing. I mean, you're amazing too.
Speaker 11: Nude Doctor pepper, strawberries and cream, the new flavor you deserve once you use.
Speaker 2: The Cowboys locker rooms favorite products.
Speaker 1: Check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black.
Speaker 2: Right now you can get the Jack Black.
Speaker 1: Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lipbomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com, slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker tim bucks free shipping.
Speaker 2: Back to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Register now for twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys youth camps presented by Invisiline. Athletes ages six to sixteen invited to learn from the best this summer at at and T Stadium or at Fort Center at the Star and Frisco. Football camps are led by former NFL players. Dance camps are top by current Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. Save twenty five dollars when you sign up for camp by May twelve. Is at Dallas Cowboys dot com. Slash Cams. Final segment here of Talking Cowboys, Nick Harris, we've got Isaiah stanback, Chris Beam in the back, I'm Kyle Yeoman's I'm Lorena's husband.
Speaker 2: That's just I'm gonna get. I need to get. We filmed the.
Speaker 1: Blitz on Friday. I need to get Jodie Rymers, who's one of our graphic designers. I needed him to just put Lorena's husband on.
Speaker 2: The war with her. She was so excited to put that ring on your finger. Dude. Yeah, she was like, finally I get to mark my claim. She really was. She was actually like jumping up and down getting on the stage. Yeah. It was fun man.
Speaker 1: All right, So before we wrap things up, we want to talk about these young players that can get some reps. There's a mail bag on Dallas Cowboys dot com and apologies. It was Patrick Walker who did a great job of answering. I really loved his answer, and then Nick Eatman who actually answered this. But we'll get Nick Harris to give his insight on it too. The question was talking about rookie Minnie Camp coming up this weekend, and of course we're gonna get see all all of the rookies, all the undrafted free agents, and their first action with the Cowboys this week. It seems like there's a focus given to the season's vets or seasoned vets. Excuse me, case in point the wide receiver position. What about Jalen Tolbert and Semi Fojoco. If the first teamers are running the majority of the reps, how can a young receiver build timing and trust with the starting quarterback? Same question on the defensive side of the ball, because you're getting the reps from the rookies, yes, but whenever you kind of get pushed down the depth chart the way that Jalen Tolbert Simmi Fojoco, just as an example, have been the last couple of years, how do you get those reps and.
Speaker 2: You build that sort of mentality.
Speaker 4: I'll start with you, Isaiah, great question, and I definitely can address that because that was me for a good.
Speaker 2: Portion of my career. You show out with the other guys. That's what you do. You prove that you are trustworthy, You prove that you are consistent. You prove that you know where to.
Speaker 4: Line up, that you can pick up the audibles, that you can read the defenses correctly, and that you are a guy that can be relied upon. That's how you get an opportunity to start getting reps with the ones. And when you get those opportunities with the ones, don't get deer in the headlights. Go out there and do the same thing you were doing with the other guys and that and when you become that trustworthy guy, that's when you start doing well. There's no different than the last last year. I'm blinking out on the young man's name.
Speaker 2: He wore three oh Brown, No, not Brown, I said three oh. Dennis Houston.
Speaker 4: Dennis Houston. Dennis Houston did it training camp. Dennis Houston did the last last training camp. He became a consistent guy for DAK and so much so that he threatened the position. Only the problem was when Dennis Houston had to play with the backups, he didn't do well right, So it was kind of flipped right. You usually don't see it that way. Usually you see the backups link up together and then when they get with the big you know, the number ones, they kind of fall off or they don't put out the same performance. Dennis Houston did it the opposite way in training camp. So what you have to do is you have to not only show out with the number two's and the threes, quarterbacks four is even okay, and then the number one quarterback is gonna.
Speaker 2: Sit back and be like, yo, okay, I see you, I see you.
Speaker 4: And then every so often you'll see them step up in one on ones and be like, okay, let me let me go out there and check it to them real quick and see if they have any chemistry. And if you take care of business there, then all of a sudden you might hop in and get some team reps because now your coach trust that you're going to be in the right spot, that you're not going to mess up and make him look bad.
Speaker 2: Right, that's the big part of it. People don't talk about that aspect.
Speaker 4: Coaches aren't even gonna put you in a position to mess up in practice because that and then in turn looks bad on them. It says that they're not doing what they need to do behind closed doors. So you have to be that trustworthy guy in there, and then the coach puts you in position to be successful, and then once he puts you actually on the field, now you have to gain the trust worthiness of the quarterback.
Speaker 3: And there's going to be an opportunity in training camp for one of these guys if we look at the receiving core right now, there's a very clear top three. You got Cede Lamb, you got Brandon Cooks, and you got Michael Gallup. That fourth spot you got see me, Fo Hooko, Jalenbert, maybe even Cavante Turpin. Yeah, there's a variety of guys that you could throw in right there that would have an opportunity. Dennis Houston maybe again, Dennis Houston absolutely, and then there's a couple of undrafted free agents and obviously Jalen Brooks as well. But I think there will be at least one of these guys that will have to One of these guys will have to step up, and if they don't.
Speaker 5: Will McLay talked about it a couple weeks ago.
Speaker 3: He's like, the free agent market is still very much on the table, So it's performed now, or you know, you get moved up and potentially cut off the roster off one of these guys.
Speaker 1: And since they were talking about the defensive side too and kind of asking the same question, there are names on the defensive side that have the same sort of problem.
Speaker 2: Neville Gallimore is.
Speaker 4: One of those.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's entering year four, this is a contract year for him, he hasn't shown up the way that you would anticipate a third round defensive tackle.
Speaker 2: To show up. Oh Sadiggi's who has done so.
Speaker 1: Chauncey Goldston has even flashed at times, but Nevill Gallimore just hasn't been there before, hasn't been what you expected. Same thing from Jabrill Cox. Gabrill Cox was a Day three pick, but still they thought the value was there from that selection, and the injury has played a massive part in that unfortunately. But which one of those guys is under the most pressure kind of like what we just talked about with Tolbert or Fojoco Nick, because both Galamore and Cox need to have a they need to have a big season.
Speaker 3: I think it would be Gallamore. Yeah, I think that's the easy answer. Just because there's they drafted over in the interior defensive line. There's less opportunities for him this year. You know, he's gonna have more limited opportunities than he had last season, so you know when he steps in, he's going to have to perform at a higher clip than he did last year.
Speaker 2: Totally agree with you.
Speaker 4: You got to remember last season they drafted an interior defensive lignment by the name of John Ridgeway, and they chose Gallimore over Ridgeway.
Speaker 2: That's how type the D line room was.
Speaker 4: Then. Now all of a sudden, you take a D lineman at first, Well, guess what, he's not going to get cut in camp, so he's going to be there. So in terms of somebody being in a hot seat, it absolutely has to be Galimore, especially when they were a veteran and a first round rookie that played the same exacquisition as you do.
Speaker 2: What impact are you going to make? You know, both of those guys aren't going anywhere.
Speaker 4: You're gonna have to absolutely ball out to keep the rest of these guys off your back.
Speaker 5: It like he hasn't been healthy either, That's that's another instance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got to get on the field too.
Speaker 6: And remember Gallimore was playing in that last preseason game. If you guys remember, I mean that he was out there well into the third and fourth core and everybody was like, borderline, Gallimore is still out there and they're like, well, he's competing for a spot at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, you're exactly right, because I remember you and I were talking about it and the fact that he was. He was even in the game late in that that third and final preseason game at AT and C Stadium, and we were looking at each other like, is this telling us something or is this just a guy trying to get reps? Because of course the year before that he got hurt in Arizona in the preseason, so it it is. Yeah, he hasn't been healthy, which he's been on and off the field, but for the most part, you got to be on the field and got to be productive. I think Quentin Bohanna is very similar in that same realm because you got drafted over. I mean, Mazzie Smith and Jonathan Hankins are back. Quentin Bhana is he on alert in terms of being a nose tackle and being somebody on this roster. Isaac Callercrohn, he made the switch from offensive line to defensive line. That's gonna be an uphill battle for him to make the roster because he's out of those exemptionures. So there were so many questions on the defensive line going back to linebacker.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: You add to Marvin Overshown, then you add that to the to the combination of jabro Cox, Devin Harper, Malik Jefferson, out of those three guys, who do you think has the best shot at sticking around come training camp in past training camp.
Speaker 3: This was something I was breaking down yesterday and I was going through the wonders of PFF, trying to break down where the guy has the most experienced that in different linebacking slots. I'm gonna say to Marvion Overshown, but I'm not confident in that answer. Well, I just think it's because of his athleticism, his ability to play in all three levels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think he'll I mean, he's a third round draft pick, He's going to be on the roster for a couple of years. But then you also got Devin Harper, h six round pick, speedster special teams. Where does he fit in is even in the rotation because in front of Demarvin Overshown you have Damone Clark and late Vander esh So I agree with you completely. I think Demarvin Overshown is going to rotate through. But then there's how do you fit in a Malik Jefferson and a Devin Harper and a Jabril Cox. If you have the confidence in these three guys, it's tough. I don't think you're going to be able to bring all three guys. That's just the way I see it.
Speaker 6: And if you really want to know, and that second preseason game, all you have to do is look out who runs out there on punt coverage for the linebackers, I mean, the first team punt coverage. That's probably gonna be the guys that they're working out to be on the roster.
Speaker 4: You like that punk coverage, don't you, Isaia. I mean, there's so much value on special teams. I'm glad Beamber brought that up to his point. It's very telling. It's very telling when you start looking. As we get closer to camp and started seeing preseason games, all that stuff's gonna matter. So we started looking at this battle at that second level between Jefferson and Harper, which one is gonna stand out more in special teams that's where you're gonna be playing. You're not gonna be rotating in on defense most likely. So how can you suit up every week? And if you're not suiting up every week, then you're not on his roster. Gosh, yeah, you gotta be. You gotta be available, best available. Best ability is availability. I mean, that's been a buzzword.
Speaker 2: And a common term around these walls the impact. What impact can you make? You know what what is going to be your impact?
Speaker 4: Are you just another guy that I'm throwing on every for depth or you actually gonna make an impact in one third of the game.
Speaker 3: And we've seen guys over extend their stays on a roster by having that specialty stability and then eventually finding that role on a defense.
Speaker 5: You know, a yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: That's a great yeah, great example.
Speaker 1: All right, rookie Minnie Camp coming up this weekend, Nick, Who's the guy you want to watch the most that you're gonna see through the weekend.
Speaker 3: I think Mazi is the easy answer. I also look outside of Mazi, obviously to marve On as well. But this is gonna be I'm gonna go on to the field. I'm gonna look around. I'm gonna be where is Hunter Lipke. I want to see that guy in action. I want to see him go.
Speaker 2: I like that full back pha tight end. I don't even care. He's gonna be fun to watch.
Speaker 4: Who do you think I'm gonna look at the tight ends. I want to see what Luke Schoonmaker is gonna do. I want to see how does his feet look? You know, what, how was he putting himself in position? You know a lot of times last year's draft, we sat there and watching Ricky mean Cavin. We're trying to keep an eye out and see how these guys are gonna be moving around.
Speaker 2: Are they big enough? Right?
Speaker 4: Do they have enough weight in there? But like, those are things I want to see. He got drafted for a particular reason, for for a specific purpose. What is going to be impact that he makes on as an extension of that offensive line and the house off to his hands.
Speaker 1: I want to see whose ankles do's vun it's gonna break first. I want to see I want to see who he oh yeah, oh yeah. I want to see who he gets through first.
Speaker 2: That's one of my things.
Speaker 1: I also want to see Philoco. I want to see Junior Fojoco kid after it and see what he can do. I think he's gonna be really fun to watch when we actually get to training camp, I think we're gonna look up.
Speaker 2: He's wearing ninety three at the at the moment.
Speaker 1: I mean, of course, all of those are subject to change, but I think we're gonna look up at training camp. We're gonna say, Man ninety three is balling, got something going on out there, and I think that'll be what we see from from Junior Fooco. All right, that does it for us. On Talking Cowboys next week, Patrick will be back.
Speaker 4: I will not be.
Speaker 2: We will have Hailey Sutton hosting the next two shows.
Speaker 1: She's gonna come in do a great job Talking Cowboys with Haley Sutton hosting some things. But everybody should be back and ready to go in a couple of weeks. So I'm gonna go watch the Stars clinch Game six, go ahead and move on to the Western Conference Finals in person with Isaiah On on Saturday.
Speaker 2: All Stars fans, good luck, Thanks buddy, honestly might need it. Yeah. After After Sunday is kind of a virtual handshaker. I got off the I got off.
Speaker 1: The dance floor and one of my friends came up to me. He's like, you want to know the star scorer? And I was like, was it good? And he was like no, and I was like, just just let me know, and he's like seven to two and I was like, oh man, it was like the one bad thing of the whole wedding night.
Speaker 4: Hey, you know what the good news is for the stars, you know, the best player for the crack and actually comes back and starts playing today.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's fine.
Speaker 1: It was the Patrick Ewing effect. Now they're gonna play worse, So that's fine. The works, they'll make a work out.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: For Isaiah stand back for Nick Harris, for Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeoman saying.
Speaker 2: So long from Talking Cowboys. We will see you next Tuesday.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.