Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it's Lyle. Get this.
Speaker 2: I'm coming to over forty cities across the United States, the UK, Europe, and Australia to do this here Therapy Gecko Podcast Live. These shows will involve bringing folks from the audience up on stage to talk to a gecko about whatever they want, just like we do on the podcast. The shows are completely unplanned, completely unpredictable, and they will be a lot of fun. So if you're a fan of the podcast, you should definitely come out. Tickets are available right now at therapy geckotour dot com and you should get them before they are sold out. That's therapy geckotour dot com. We'll put the link in the episode description as well. The live shows are are very fun, they're very geko wee, and I hope to see you there.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into the episode.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: Hi, Oh is this the gek?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing all right? I'm doing all right. My name is Nick. Should just go into what I'm calling about?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: So last year I moved in with some good friends of mine from work and we've become pretty close, like we kind of do everything together because we live together. So they're married. It's a man and a woman. They're married. They've had this relationship where like he's okay with her seeing other women because she kind of explorts that, and he's just committed to her. And that's I've always found that interesting. It's never been my thing or anything, but so we we did. We do this thing where we have movie nights and we watch movies for hours and then you know, kind of hang out quotes. So a month ago, we're like watching movies and then he needs for work because we usually say it pretty late, and she's kind of acting weird, and I kinda I'm like, hey, what's up? And she goes, So I've didn't mean to tell you this, but I'm like madly in love with you, and I I'm in love with him too, so I'm kind of exploring in my head like possibly pursuing polyamory. And he didn't know about this. I definitely didn't.
Speaker 4: Know about this.
Speaker 3: So and I have this like I has this problem where like when something sprung on me, I kind of immediately react like, oh, it's fine, it's fine, but like obviously I had to process this and I'm really not sure how to go about it because we're all still like friends and live together. But like it's just it's it's put it put me in a weird pas because I'm not interested at all. I never was, and I'm just not sure how to move forward.
Speaker 1: I guess, okay, do so all right, let me let me get this straight here. So this guy, no, no, no, no, this guy, I think I get it. So this guy, he is dedicated only to this girl, but they have an arrangement where the girl is free to you know, have sex with whoever she wants, or be in a relationship with whoever she wants or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Women is what they discussed.
Speaker 1: Oh, strictly women, correct.
Speaker 3: And so he didn't know about this, and she told me first because she said if she wouldn't if she didn't tell me first, she wouldn't be able to tell me at all. So I was like, okay. So I was worried after the fact, like if she tells him because he's one of my best friends, Like I love this dude to death. And I was like, well, is he gonna like change his opinion of me? Or is he gonna, you know, get mad at me? It's not his character. I didn't expect it, but it was still a thing that I was fearing. And so she told him and he was not hostile towards me at all, thankfully, but like he definitely didn't like hearing that, and it definitely affected his mental health. Like he came to me, and this guy never cries, but he was crying to me. And I'm just in a situation that technically partially not involved in because I'm not interested, but it also is surrounding me, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, So in as far as what should you do, I mean, I agree with your sective, but this really kind of has nothing to do with you, right is Uh, you're not going to pursue a relationship with your friend's wife, correct, Your your friend's wife has feelings for you, which is not within your control. It's good that your friend knows about them, and it's good that your friend knows that. It's good that everyone knows that there's not like weird hidden resentments and things right boiling up. But I mean, fuck man, as far as what you do and I don't know, go outside, well it got even weirder.
Speaker 3: Well because I've been you know, I've been single for a little over a year now, I moved out here single because I was living with my ex, so I needed to get out of that. But I've been like, you know, scrolling through the apps and stuff, and I finally got a match with somebody recently and was supposed to go on a date. And she actually got hurt by that news, so hurt that she had to leave the house and leave her husband alone because it was her or her feelings. And that killed him because like, you're my wife, you know. It's like it's just such a weird thing, and I it's like, that's my business. Though, why are you so affected by it?
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know, it hurts weird your friend's wife's feelings that you were going on in dates?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, because she couldn't have me, you know, so it sounds ridiculous and that's that's kind of how But but she still wants to be friends, and like I, I kind of put a pause on that because I needed to process my feelings. But lo and behold, two weeks ago, I got laid off from my job, and they it's almost like, I don't want to say she used that scenario to kind of brush it under the rug, but like she just started talking to me again to console me and stuff, and like I kind of reciprocated it because I am an off to have spot right now, but like I also still need to process very.
Speaker 1: Feeling. Let me ask you some questions, Uh, do you do you have genuine interest in continuing to have a platonic friendship with this woman?
Speaker 3: I do, But at the same time, people like she keeps saying how she wants them to go back to normal, and it's like that's not really a possibility because what is normal anyway? But the dynamic is completely changed. Like I can't I can't do or say anything without realizing that it has some heavier weight in her mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, that's all legit, that's all legitimate. That's all very legitimate to feel whenever you hang out with do you have like your own kind of independent relationship with her and as well as an independent relationship with the guy?
Speaker 3: Uh, I'd say that's a fair statement. Yeah, I do. Like we we kind of have our own dynamic when we're all three together, and then when we're individually together, it's like our own other thing. So yeah, there there's there's pieces of every like individual relationship that are unique yet.
Speaker 1: Dude, when's the last time you all three of you hung out?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean technically we lived together, so anytime we're out in the living room, it's like for my uh actually, the last time we actually went out and did something was for my birthday, like the week before all that shit went down. We went out for dinner and stuff. But even then, like, when I think about going out, it's like, when I think about it now, it's like my perspective is just completely rattled and changed, you know, obviously, mm hm.
Speaker 5: M hm, m hm.
Speaker 1: Uh is any part of you considering taking a break from hanging out with these people for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh yeah, it's just it's kind of hard to uh navigate since I lived with them, and it's like, I mean, I'm I'm in my room a lot anyway, I'll say that for sure.
Speaker 1: So Okay, Well, here's another thing. You're this couple sounds like they got a lot of ship to work out together that ain't got nothing to do with you. So I maybe it could be a good idea to let them work that out, you know, not not not drag you into it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like they have a tendency to do that to include me.
Speaker 1: Do you feel that way, do you feel like they have some boundaries?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's a malicious thing.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a malicious doesn't sound like a malicious thing. It sounds like everyone in this situation is confused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't think. I don't think I've never I've never dealt with polyamory like this, and I've never even been in a situation like this in my life.
Speaker 1: So I don't think that dragging you into it is a action of malice as much as it is an action of aimlessness and comfort.
Speaker 3: I think I'm I'm a very good friend of them. I know, I know that at least.
Speaker 1: So Okay, Well, is is is your continued interaction with them and uh involvement in their conflict bringing you unpleasantness?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Because I have a lot of my own shit going on. Like I said, I just got laid off and I'm trying to, you know, work on myself, and it's kind of hard when I have to worry about two other people as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I don't think it would be such a bad idea then, to uh, well let them figure their own stuff out. Yeah. Yeah, who did you go on the dates.
Speaker 3: Uh no, it is no, I got you.
Speaker 1: Didn't even go You didn't even go on the date you made everyone made a whole big fucking deal about it and you didn't even know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that was my thing. I stopped at that too. I was like, yeah, well.
Speaker 1: What's your deal? Are you trying to date more or yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm open to it. Yeah, but I'm also trying to, you know, get my own ship in order as well. But yeah, yeah, I just I think I just need some space really mentally and physically.
Speaker 1: Well, you sound like a nice, handsome guy. I think it'll all work.
Speaker 3: Out well, ship. Thank you, you're handsome to get go.
Speaker 1: Hey, Nick, is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you guys are awesome. I might check out your tour or two, so we'll see what's up.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, I hope to see if the baby all right.
Speaker 3: Have a good night, Nick Forever.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 5: Hello?
Speaker 3: Is this the jet?
Speaker 1: Yes? Who is this?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this is Daniel.
Speaker 1: Daniel. What's going on?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: You know, just enjoying an extra day off for the holidays.
Speaker 1: How are you, m Daniel? It says here that you bought a one way ticket to somewhere many many miles away and that worked out for.
Speaker 3: You, Yeah, punky ear ago, I just kind of well, I quit my job. I sold everything I owned, passed everything I could into a backpack, and moved two thousand miles away to start over. I was definitely very mannic in the middle of that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and how long ago did you say?
Speaker 3: This was about a year ago.
Speaker 1: And what was it that compelled you to catapult yourself so far away?
Speaker 3: I fucked, I mean ever since the pandemic. It's like a license on this ship I was going through. Were divorced and my job industry kind of went. Was one of the first to go in COVID. You know, I was a restaurant manager. So jobst shitty, life got shitty. Uh, decided why not and take a chance, leave the South, go somewhere better.
Speaker 1: Mhm. And can I ask where you went?
Speaker 3: Seattle?
Speaker 1: You went to Seattle? And uh, why did you pick Seattle?
Speaker 3: It was sound of like I was just a dart on the map. Honestly, it didn't really matter.
Speaker 1: And do you know anybody in Seattle at the time?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, not at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you have any money.
Speaker 3: I had a lot of thousand dollars from selling my shitty car, and yeah, that was about it.
Speaker 1: Okay. So apparently it says here that this all kind of worked out for you. So let's talk about, Well, let's talk about when you first got there. I mean, what did you do if you only had a thousand dollars? How did you, you know, rent an apartment or eat food or do anything. I assume you went there without.
Speaker 3: A job, all right, So I had a job offer, kind of. I planned a whole move in less than two weeks, and I was just applying to jobs on indeed, like it was just slightly on a datemap of the mess got like this really sketchy job offer at a restaurant for ghost kitchens don't recommend here out of ten tried working that, got an apartment with some roommates that I didn't know. It was really sketch for a minute, like in terms of getting of my life sorted out, especially because I was very managed when I got here. I ended up in a psych hospital like two months two three months after I got here. It was a whole thing.
Speaker 1: How did you wind up in a in a psych hospital? If you don't mind sharing. I mean any aspect of this you don't want to but.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, no for sure. So I don't know if you're familiar with media. Was bipolar disorder, but if you if you get too far up, you go into psychosis. And I kind of lost my marbles very very legitimately. I was like hearing shit scene ship I was. I was not sleeping, and then I got like taken to the er and got admitted to a place and help me get back on medication, which is probably the only reason why I'm still able to be functional up here. It's then, it's been interesting, mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Was there a certain event or catalyst, you know during that two months that kind of sent you over the edge?
Speaker 3: That was during the holidays. You know, I don't have any contact with my family two thousand miles away. Wondering if I made the right decision. Just catapulting my life away that stressful. I mean, most people don't do that, you know, without support.
Speaker 1: What was the job that you came there to do.
Speaker 3: I was cooking at the time. I'm not doing that job anymore, but I was just cooking for a restaurant at the time.
Speaker 1: Okay, And how is that treating.
Speaker 3: You that was all right? I mean I didn't like it. I mean that's why I quit. Now I have a much better job. But it did what it needed to do to help me sustain myself for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when you're in the psych hospital, how long does it take and what are the prerequisites for getting out of there?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: How do how do you? How do how do they know when you're like chilled to leave?
Speaker 3: I mean you meet with a doctor every day and like a therapist. And I say this all so loosely because you're really not supervised that much, but you just have to meet like a certain criteria which is like not a danger to yourself for others not in psychosis, like stable on medsleeping, eating, you know, a relatively functional human being.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: I was only there for like a week.
Speaker 1: And what did you do when you got out?
Speaker 3: I went immediately back to work. Actually well, I mean I quit a couple of months later, but I started realizing I visit sober, so I got sober in that meantime as well, went into real therapy, started taking care of myself, left the toxic ask service industry.
Speaker 1: So you said that this move ultimately worked out for you. Tell me a little bit about what your life is like now and how it's better than it was a year ago.
Speaker 3: I would say I'm a lot more stable in terms of, like I'm not freaking out all the time, not chasing the super highs and lows of life. Stable housing. I've never lived in a place longer than six months, and I've been here a year, in the same apartment, starting to have a support group of friends. It's weird, you know, Like I had so many people where I was before I lost my shit in the old place I was, and I didn't really I took it all for granted. And now I'm like actually making an effort to be a better person and like be there for people around me and not be a drunk piece of shit all the time, on top of not taking my medication. Stably employed, which is weird and different. Work a weird job by comparison to what I've ever done, But it's fun.
Speaker 1: What do you do now?
Speaker 3: I make candles?
Speaker 1: You make candle maker? That very very relaxing, very relaxing. How did you get into candles?
Speaker 3: Yeah? One of my roommates at the time was working for the candle place and they realized do you want to you want to make candles? And I was like, yeah, that sounds great and it's super super fun. It's interesting, it's relaxing when it, you know, I can be even there's a lot to do, and there's a lot to do in the making candles. Are you don't really think about it? M hm?
Speaker 1: And do you have friends in Seattle? Now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I have mostly the people that I've met through recovery groups since I got sober, and I put a lot of effort into doing all that stuff to help other people in recovery.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. So these friends that you've met through the recovery groups, so I'm curious and I guess, like what, what do their stories usually sound like? Do they sound similar to yours? Did they move to a place far away? And did they have like similar home lives to you?
Speaker 3: I mean yes? And now, you know, it's interesting when you hear people's stories because you know, a lot of it's different, a lot of it's the same. It all kind of has the same general timeline. I don't know. You know, if you hang around enough people that are at it, some alcoholics, you're going to hear your story like everyone thinks they're so different when they come in, you know, and we're all the same, you know, there's a little differences here and there, but everyone's it's all similar as plenty of people that have you know, fucked off across the country of the world, or than just as chaotic as I have in different ways.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm hmm. Yeah. I feel like that's good though, right. I mean, you I'm in thinking that your situation is unique, and the once you learn it's not, I feel like that makes you feel a little bit better, does it not?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 3: Can it? Can it?
Speaker 4: Also?
Speaker 3: You know, I feel like a lot of people at least I wouldn't seek for me at least. I I'm so like, I'm so special and unique, and this is why I'm messed up, and that's why I can't be fished. And then you meet like ten plus people with the same situation. You're like, well, now I have no excuse? What the hell? Which is good and bad? You have the accountability, right.
Speaker 1: I guess I guess I feel like there is Yeah, sure, I see what you're saying by being like, oh, you know, I have no excuse, But that also can be kind of a good thing. You know, you see somebody who adult is something that you dealt with and now you feel as though, Okay, well, I guess if this person was able to overcome the obstacles, then so can I. And it's good that it's been a friend group for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've met a lot of people that I did along with very well and I can just be myself and it's something that I'm not used to.
Speaker 1: You know, so you said you're not used to it is this? Is this one of the first times in your life where you have had a solid group of friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. I mean I was married for a while and pretty isolated from everyone, and my marriage wasn't great. My family life was not great either, and I didn't really made a lot of effort to meet people, and the friends that I did have it was pretty toxic between both my end and their end. Yeah, this is I would say, like the first time that I've ever felt quite comfortably okay with the people in my life and happy with that.
Speaker 1: That's great. Have you spoken to your family at all or are they completely out of the picture.
Speaker 3: You know, my dad has called a handful of times in the last few months, but other than that, no, I don't always speak to anyone in my family and that's all right with me.
Speaker 1: Mmm, you say that's all right with you? Is that something is becoming alright with that something that was kind of like a process for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, and no. I mean my relationship with my family has never been amazing. It's kind of hard to be no or a little contact with your family, even if you had a bad family life, I guess from what I've noticed with other people too, because I mean, you have that idea of what you wish your family was, and like, that's what I feel like I clean onto the most when I'm upset. It's like not that, it's the idea of what I wish it was, And just making that distinction.
Speaker 1: Helps, right, And you can get lost in that with anything with the idea of how life was, with the idea of how you wish you know your job was, or the idea of how you wish your friends were. It's like you can you can really spend a lot of time stacking trying to stack reality against expectations, and uh, reality will almost always lose. Yeah, yeah, h But the one thing that reality does have over expectations is that it is real. Yeah, In the name. What's next for you? Do you have a strong desires for your life outside of building candles or do you live day by day hanging out.
Speaker 3: I'd say it's a little bit of both. I mean, I'm just trying to get through the day, obviously, but I have plans to hopefully go to college at some point. But I did it and with them in a health field. Short term, buy a fucking car. I haven't had a car since i've here and.
Speaker 1: That sucks, But.
Speaker 3: A little bit both take it day by day, try to make things better. It's kind of hard to find a direction in your mid twenties, you know, when you haven't had one, and then you like, you like gaining sentience and you're like, oh shit, have to actually make a life h whole thing.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, well you don't have to. You you do not have to do you totally well, you totally could have. You know, you don't have to do anything. You totally could have just continued to drink every day and sit around and not do anything.
Speaker 3: That's fair, but you didn't.
Speaker 1: But you decided you wanted to build a life. This is pretty cool. You have to do that. I totally could have just drunkenly wandered the streets forever, and I would I and I wouldn't have blamed you for that. I wouldn't have blamed you for that. That sounds fun. It's kind of.
Speaker 3: No, I did you walk around downtown seattles when you were here at all? Like it's not like it's not it?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I mean no, it's fun until some bad happens. But until I mean the just the experience, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's uh. I mean, I'm definitely like a wander West person. They urged to like just like live nomadically and ship and do that. It's great, but the world isn't built for that unfortunately, for long term sustainably.
Speaker 1: Daniel, is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we.
Speaker 3: Go have a have a good night. Hope everyone got through the holidays all right, and it can be a tough time for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, uh, take care man, appreciate your sharing. By Daniel. I like Daniel. Oh fuck, I forgot. I wanted to ask a more candle related questions, such as what his favorite candle is or what candle takes the most time to make I feel like certain candles probably take longer to make than others, like uh, like chat names some candles? What are different kinds of candles? Like lavender? Like, lavender probably takes a lot longer to make than tea because tea is everywhere. But how do you get lavender? If somebody put a gun into my head and was like, you have twenty four hours to secure some lavender, they'd have to shoot me in the face. So I don't know where. I don't know where I would get it. But yet these candle companies produce hundreds of thousands of lavender candles every year. Where are they getting all this lavender from?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know what I'm doing. Okay, Hello, Hello, Hi? Who is this?
Speaker 5: This is Grace?
Speaker 1: Hi, Grace. How can I What's what's going on?
Speaker 5: Nothing too specific? I must stay at home mom, So I guess if he has like any interesting topics for there?
Speaker 1: Okay, what are you at home with your kids right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, he's he's uh, he just turned one a few days ago.
Speaker 1: Oh really, how has it been being a mother? Well?
Speaker 5: This is my second time around, and the first time I was fifteen and the second time. I'm twenty two, so it's really different.
Speaker 1: You were fifteen when you had your first kid. Yeah, what was that experience? Like that must have been extremely difficult.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: Home life was a lot harder than school.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, kids are like, look at that pregnant chick here in high school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but ultimately.
Speaker 5: It was like what was going down like at home that made it I think, you know all the more uh uh complicated?
Speaker 1: Are you okay? I was talking about what was going on at home?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah?
Speaker 1: What was going on?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Well, during uh the time that I got pregnant, my mom and my stepdad at the same time, uh broke up, and my mom, me and my brothers moved in with my boyfriend's mom, who I mean, my mom only knew her for during you know, the little times that teenagers bring their boyfriends over or whatever.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: And during that time, my mom was also struggling with pill addictions, so she was in and out, and my dad was going through it and kind of went I don't know, like he just like disappeared and lived in the woods for a while.
Speaker 1: So when you had this kid at fifteen, who was helping you?
Speaker 5: It was I mean, I had my boyfriend at the time, and I was living with his mom, and while my parents were going through the waves of going through a breakup of I don't know, like fucking ten years, my boyfriend's mom was taking care of me and the boys.
Speaker 1: Okay, so your boyfriend's mom was helping you take care of and your boyfriend, I assume was the was the father of the kid.
Speaker 5: Of the first one. We ended up having a falling out and and I went into the dating world after being in a ten year relationship with a guy that I dated in high school and uh, surprise, surprise, I got knocked up again.
Speaker 1: So and now is your current boyfriend helping you with this kid?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, he's very different from my first relationship. He uh, and it's it's definitely like because I was fifteen, it's a lot of me and him doing things, me and my current partner. And when I was younger, like I just I guess I just didn't realize how much like his mom really did to help with my first kid.
Speaker 1: Right, And so your you're the father of the first kid. Is he still around helping out with the first kid? He's still in the first kid's life.
Speaker 5: He's still in the first kid's life, but we had quite the dramatic fallout. He was undiagnosed by polar when we were together, and so we had not the healthiest of relationships because of his uh how angry he'd get. And then you know, when someone's yelling at you, you might say something mean back or whatever. You know. So once we broke up, I think I was a trigger for him, and he had tried to commit suicide after after I officially like said that we were done, he commit tried to commit suicide and whenever I'd come around once he got back from the hospital, I was like a trigger for him. So he just doesn't really talk to me. But he's still a part of my first kids relation, like law life, Like she's week one week off, but like he doesn't want to be friends with me, mm hmm, but.
Speaker 1: He's still in the kid's life. Yeah, okay, And how old is your first kid? Now?
Speaker 4: I don't want to do she's nine years old?
Speaker 1: Nine years old? Okay, Now, how does how what's her relationship like with the baby? How does she feel about having a baby, a baby sibling?
Speaker 5: She was excited, but she he also going through like the emotions of not being the only kid in the house anymore. And her dad actually had a kid with another woman before I had a kid, so she kind of like already had that.
Speaker 1: Kind of So so you're okay, So when you were fifteen, you had a kid with this guy? Was the guy also fifteen?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we actually coincidentally had the same exact birthday, did so he was.
Speaker 1: Like and and when he was by the time he was fifteen, he had already had a kid with somebody else.
Speaker 5: No, no, he he we had our first kid together. And then when we broke up shortly after or he started dating some his current woman and then they had a kid, okay, and then a.
Speaker 4: Little bit after that I ended up.
Speaker 5: Having a kid.
Speaker 1: All right, So she has two half siblings. Yes, okay, by the way, how's your baby doing. They've been present on this call, and I don't know if you're changing a diaper with one hand and talking on the phone with the other.
Speaker 5: No, he's in my arms. I'm just walking around in a circle and he's waving his hand and he just likes to be a.
Speaker 4: Part of the scene.
Speaker 5: He's a pretty happy kid, just a little needy, you know, classic baby.
Speaker 1: I assume that I mean it's you're twenty two.
Speaker 5: Now I'm actually twenty five and now, so he's actually he just turned one, So I got I got pregnant at twenty four and then had him, or maybe I had I actually had him at twenty foo and got pregnant at twenty three.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think you said you got pregnant at twenty two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, twenty three is when, because he's a year now, so and I turned twenty five, not long ago like last so I think I think it was like twenty three is when I got pregnant with him.
Speaker 1: So how is being a mother at twenty five different than it was ten years ago? At fifteen?
Speaker 5: It's a lot more like like independent, like you when you're like stay at home mom. I mean, it's a lot of just like this person depending on you, this little being. And when I was fifteen, I mean, Luna was like a classic baby, but she was a big grandma's.
Speaker 4: Girl like she it's like his mom would take dinner for.
Speaker 5: Us, you know, or like play on the meals and do the shopping. And if Luna was having a rough time sleeping, like she'd just she'd just come into the room and take her and try to put her to sleep while me and her son tried to catch some more disease. You know, like it was like this selfless like a woman that really, I guess just really helps try to make it not terribly overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Tell me real quick about, like, you know, outside of being a mom, what is your life like, Like, do you work, do you have dreams? Do you what do you what is your life like outside of being a mom?
Speaker 4: Or I got pregnant with my newest kid.
Speaker 5: I was in college, and I want to I want to be a teacher for little ones, mainly just as I guess of me feeling like kids, you know, need that person that listens or whatever. But I like, currently I just stay at home and I'm doing whatever, uh my newest son needs, And I mean trying to find fun things to do. Like a lot of the time I passed time by just showing up at a state sales and garage sales and talking to a bunch of people.
Speaker 1: You passed the time by going to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean I'll always end up finding something too, But I mean it's a lot of fun just going to estate sales and asking the people that are running it, like who lived here? Or just hearing like stories about the person who lives there and or just talking to some random person there. Like it's it's like one of the little creative ways that I've found connection without.
Speaker 4: Having to like.
Speaker 5: Go out to like big events or something.
Speaker 1: So you go to these estates try to make friends, you know, with no intention of buying anything, but just to talk to people and learn about the estate and make connections.
Speaker 5: I know they're definitely to buy stuff too, but I'm I am eager to hear about like I guess just talking to other people.
Speaker 1: Okay, Like on top of.
Speaker 5: Looking around and finding stuff, there's a lot of fun conversations that just happen because people like they love talking to babies, so they just come up and they'll just start talking to my son and they'll be like you know when someone's talking to a baby or kind of talking to you too, So then you just start a conversation from there. And then I'm like standing there for thirty minutes or an hour just like talking to this person.
Speaker 1: And this has been a way for you to connect with other people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like a little less pressure, you know.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, can I answer your question?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Are you? Are you lonely at all, Like do you do you have like friends that you have to talk to and stuff.
Speaker 5: I'm definitely, I'm definitely like there is is that loneliness, you know, Like it's different when you have that buddy that you can call and just come hang out with you for three hours just sitting and watching your son play with the same toy, you know, and you guys just like sitting and talking and like there's definitely like that connection. There's there's a lot of it's hard to have friends with people that don't have kids are kind of like are I almost want to say, kids prove like they're prepared to just kind of a molestly do something for the same like over and over again, or like go to a park and be hell aboard with your buddy and have fun and chill out, you know.
Speaker 4: But I just go to.
Speaker 5: Places and then have conversations. It's just I don't have to continue to have conversations with them afterwards. I get my bucket filled of socializing.
Speaker 1: How's your relationship with the father, Like what does is he kind of at work all day? What's your relationship like with him?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's the bread winner, so he goes to work and he'll come back. And when he's home, I mean immediately I'm like.
Speaker 4: Really excited to have another grown up with me.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I mean our relationships it's pretty good. It's you know, every relationship is discovering the quirks and things with another person. And I guess just getting through it or learning to be not frustrated by the factor. You know, But.
Speaker 1: What are your like looking to the future, what what do you hope?
Speaker 5: I I want to obviously finish college because I've been pursuing it since I was in school, like since I graduated high school. And I mean whether that's just because I actually want to be a teacher or not, because like you know, as you go through life, you're like, well maybe I want to be this, or maybe I want to be that. I just feel like I spent so much time in that I I want my prize, I want my I want my associates. So there's that, and then I guess just I don't know, classic living life in the way that I can whatever makes me happy in the moment.
Speaker 1: Okay, I wanted to ask you this, in in this moment of your life, do you feel happy?
Speaker 5: I I mean that's a that's a that's a tough question. Sometimes I feel great and sometimes you know, depression and postpartum they're they're both really right in it, and it's just like it's.
Speaker 4: Hard to see all those good things and feel all those good things.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, I think as a parent, like a parent life, I'm happy, but individually, I I've I'm depressed. I'm I could I could use some friendship probably m hm hm hm, you know a partners with friends, but like.
Speaker 4: You're what the motherfucker all the time?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I guess I can see why. It's you know, an attractive thing to like, you know, go to these like estate sales or garage sales and just like you can bring the kid, and the kid gets to talk to people, and you get to talk to people and it kind of gets you out of the house and works for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's almost always like a good conversation because I mean, you have a baby, you have this person that kind of brings up those positive feelings and all that, you know, so it's it's it's almost guaranteed of a good conversation, whether or not I can feel the flow.
Speaker 4: Of it and have a good conversation is different.
Speaker 5: But like baby people with babies usually like people coming in to have a conversation, they're they're positive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this like you know, depression and loneliness. That sounds like it kind of ebbs and flows as do you know it does with a lot of you know, I mean, all all people experience the stuff and in an ebb and flow way. Looking to the future. Yeah, you know, you're you're still very young. Are you hopeful for the future.
Speaker 5: I am. I'm pretty hopeful. Like there's things that stress me out, like along with being a parent, I kind of like breaking I don't know if it's the right word, like breaking the fourth wall. Like I just kind of like the world is a lot bigger than just my house, just my living room, just what I'm teaching my kids in my home, Like, and I.
Speaker 4: Get stressed out about the big world.
Speaker 5: There's so many opinions, there's so many there's so much hate, you know, But like I think it gives me hope hearing my daughter say something that is like loving and non judgmental, and it's like I think I'm doing my part in what makes me feel like I'm making a change. The people that are leaving my house are going to be loving and accepting, and I'm I'm gonna chase my dreams of whatever being a teacher. Maybe I want I want to release a book someday, you know, I'm so maybe release in a book at some point.
Speaker 1: But you know, you're you're you're talking about this big world that's scary with all the people who are you know, kind of negative or have these opinions and whatnot. That's something I've been thinking about a lot. And it's like, I think the best thing you can do and at least this is what works for me to kind of combat the anxiety of of of trying to take in the entire world is doing the best you can to create your own world and to make it in your own design. And you can do that, you know, And and that's kind of what you do when you have a kid, is you have this opportunity to, you know, take kind of the things that in the philosophies that you don't feel good about in the worlds and combat them with you know, philosophies that you do feel good about. You know how you were saying that it makes you feel really good when your daughter is saying positive things. So, like, you know, you have the opportunity and however small a scale, your universe is like literally, if your universe just consists of you and your kids, and that's it, and that's your garden to water, you know, that's that's your little part of the world that you can influence and uh make however you you desire. I mean, you can't you know, control your kids' lives and shing like that, but you can positively influence them in the way that you feel as though you should be. And I feel like just focusing on doing that the best that you can, uh fades away way all of the things about the outside world that can be stressful, and you're just focusing on your own. Yeah, and that's the best you can do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's true. That's true. I guess, I guess I don't really think. I mean it's true. Like I have my two kids and that is like my little world and whatever I put into it is it's kind of like what is a reality in it? Yeah, or a motivator?
Speaker 1: What is your name again, Gracie, Gracie, Gracie, thanks for sharing all this stuff. This is this is interesting and I I wish you good luck in cultivating a good environment for you, yourself and your kids. It seems like you're really out there doing the best you can for yourself and them.
Speaker 5: You know, I do what I can. You know, nobody's perfect, but you know, we're all just we're all just pushing towards something. You know, I don't know what it is, but we all just want to be happy.
Speaker 1: Gracie, is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 5: Just uh, you know, just just.
Speaker 4: Take it day by day.
Speaker 5: People, just take it day by day. We got this.
Speaker 1: Thanks for calling, Gracie.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You know. I hate babies a lot. I really don't like them, but I liked her, and by extension, I guess that means I like her baby. It's hard. You can't really like a baby because they are. They possess no traits really, you know, like when you decide whether or not you do or don't like a person, it's usually based off of traits that they possess that can be positive or negative. But babies they just are, I mean, they suck. Also, by the way, if you were judging a baby on the same standard that you were judging a person, and a person was crying and screaming all the time. You might not like that person, but we give babies the benefit of the doubt because they're babies, which is a good thing we should give. We should give babies the benefit of the doubt. I liked the thing that Gracie said where She's like, I get anxious about all the everything in the world and the people and their opinions I think about a lot of time, especially because like I'm on the fucking Internet and I'm always looking at people's opinions and things, and I think at a certain point, when it gets so overwhelming and you try to fucking take in everyone's everything all the time, you have to just go, Okay, fuck all of this, fuck everyone else. I'm gonna sit in quiet and decide what I is important to me, and then in my own garden, whatever that looks like, whether it's your job, or your family, or your friends, or your fucking conversations you have with the people just in your life at the Best Buy or whatever, how could you best do yourself in your own life and not worry about any other noise outside of that. It's something I'm trying to get better at. I hope all babies are fine. I'm not gonna wish them prosperity, but I hope they're okay.
Speaker 5: Goes on the line, I'm taking your phone calls every night. Never be kept goosting his ride who was teaching you a cloud of your life, but he's not ready.
Speaker 1: An expert