Speaker 1: This episode at the Patriots Postgame Show is presenting by.
Speaker 2: Draftkas This is the Patriots Postgame Show presented by Draft Kings.
Speaker 3: First phot shot done after the episode touchdown.
Speaker 2: Patriot joined the conversation by calling the eighth Ticket hotline at eight to five to five pat five hundred or email the show at web radio at Patriots dot com.
Speaker 4: And off to Stevenson.
Speaker 1: On's a left big hole across the forty cuts lefhole.
Speaker 4: The forty five had steam rolls the defender.
Speaker 2: There live from our studios inside Jillette Stadium.
Speaker 1: Here's Matt Smith.
Speaker 3: Well, welcome into a Jellette Stadium where our postgame show is Here the Patriots Postgame Show. Matt Smith alongside Paul Perillo. Mike Jasoul join us shortly, and Paul, We're here to talk about a Week one victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. The Patriots get it done with a sixteen to ten win. A head wied a Wire. We'll get to the good and the bad and the injured first, but initial thoughts about a game that I don't think many people were predicting. We're to be in the Patriots w Collum, congratulations to the team. Congratulations to Gerrod Mayo, those a hell of win today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Girod Mayo absolutely is the first thing I think of, you know, first first game out there today, and I thought they had a really solid game plan on both sides of the ball. They executed very well, and I thought that they did more of what they wanted to do. I thought they dictated the way. Now, I'm not going to tell you like they dominated the game or this that I thought they dictated the way the game was going to be played from the opening kick and they I thought carried that through for all four quarters. So really, really nice job and hats off. I'm not going to try to tell you that I saw this coming. I'm not going to try to, you know, sugarcoat and pretends that I made this pick. I didn't. I thought Cincinnati would pull away in the second half. They never did.
Speaker 3: Mike, give me your initial thoughts, sir.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm excited for the team.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just there's there's so much up against these guys, and you know, as much as there's been you know, difficult times in the last couple of years, I felt like those difficult times didn't stop when we hired a new coach and everybody's you know, wants this team to be good and have been all over these guys, and every decision gets put under the microscope. And this is the only way you can shut everybody up is go win games. And you know, look, it wasn't perfect, and there's certainly a long way to go.
Speaker 1: It's pretty close or as far as this team goes.
Speaker 5: But I mean, you talk about complimentary football, I mean, I thought special teams was outstanding defense force and turnovers. I mean it felt like kind of an old school Patriots victory, and they overcame their shortcomings with strong run game and you know, when they needed to have it, they got it. So hats off to those guys, and i've i've I'm just happy to be to be looking at a Patriots win and just to have some positivity around this team, which feels like first time in a while.
Speaker 3: Eight five to five, Pats five hundred the phone. We'd like to hear from you. Also, you could email us at web radio at Patriots dot com. Paul, this is gonna be a tough week for your shows. There's been a lot of negatives.
Speaker 1: For my showl. Felger is gonna be insufferable.
Speaker 3: A lot of negativity around this team, and I think we talked to it, Mike. I'll start with you at the beginning during our pregame show, what was the how are the Patriots going to try to win this game? And I think the formula wasn't fancy. I think everybody knew was going to need to happen. Cincinnati was going to have to be a co conspirator. They obliged, and the Patriot took advantage of it, and they leaned heavily on the run game in Romondre Stevens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean take your hat off to ramondra Stevenson. I mean those you know runs at the end where he's dragging guys. I mean, you know, have that little fumble there, which was just like a brief moment, a glimpse.
Speaker 1: Of this that's old Patriot stuff.
Speaker 5: Where you know we're in this game, and then you know, a mistake starts the whole thing unraveling. So, you know, a great performance by Romandra. I mean there's so many questions of how is he going to fit into this run game? And you know, for all those questions, I thought Romandre Stevenson just I mean, he he pretty much was. I would say eighty percent of the offense maybe today, I don't know exactly what the number was, but he was excellent, and you know, that's that's that's a great sign for them if they're going to be able to, you know, do this to a team like Cincinnati who had some struggles against the run last year but.
Speaker 1: Been all on his own. Like I mean, I just will get to it. But I just thought he was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Me thinks Scott Peters is going to spend some quality time in the locker room after today's game now where he's going, uh, locker to locker to his guys. They weren't perfect. Paul Jacoby Prisett's probably got the bruises and the cold tub that he's gonna need to show for it. But hats off to the offensive line because they know that they needed to provide a push. They the game plan was to run the ball to lean on them. They used an extra offensive lineman in quite a number of different snaps today, but it paid off for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I said, I thought Stevenson was unbelievable. I thought he just kept breaking tackles in the backfield, the side step on the third down, whether it might have been a second down that actually allowed them to kneel on the ball at the end, just dragging Cam Tailler. There's two There's two guys. I don't even know if they touched him. There's two guys that had him dead to rights in the backfield, completely unblocked, and just a little side step goes out the back door. This was, as I would say this, like I've seen ramondre Stevenson move the pile. This was as shifty as I've seen him for a consistent amount of time. I thought, you know, so was some some talk to summer Mike about him shedding some weight a little bit. I hadn't really seen any evidence of any added agility today. I did. He was I just can't say enough about him. One hundred and twenty one yards and no, one hundred and twenty yards and he was the entirety of the offense. I mean, let's fay he won the game by himself offensively. Do you give the line any credit on that? I know that was difficult on the runs. Yeah, sure, it wasn't a train wreck. Do we get credit for that? I get what? Do we lower the bar that low? I think the bar was pretty low going into the game, so they raised the bar from that. It wasn't a train wreck. A lot of people thought it would be.
Speaker 6: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I don't think offensive lines are that bad. Like I said this a million times. I've seen Kansas City and Cincinnati go with to the Super Bowl with worse offensive lines than what the Patriots are going to have. I think if you have good players like Ramondre Stevenson was today, it doesn't matter. He was great today.
Speaker 3: The decision to go with the extra offensive lineman, how much do you think that that helped? They were telling Cincinnati what they were doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I just just think without a real blocking tight end, they had to do something.
Speaker 1: And you know, as I said.
Speaker 5: In the pregame show, wanted to see Kadon Wallace get involved. I didn't really foresee it being as the you know, kind of third tackle, but just to get him some experience today, I thought that was a positive. And I think they're showing a little bit of you know, how they're going to try to get things done with this offensive line.
Speaker 3: Quarterback. Would you call that a successful managing of the game by Jacoby Brissett today, Yeah, I mean, made plays when he needed to make a couple of plays.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he'll probably end up on the on the uplist for me here in a minute. But yeah, just you know, gutty performance, got hit a bunch, stayed in there. You know, it wasn't overwhelming production or anything like that, but made some plays when he had to make the plays, and you just you.
Speaker 1: Know, that's that's Jacoby Brissett.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: I don't think anyone expected him to come in here and be Peyton Manning. But manage the game, don't lose us the game. One mistake that he avoided with that, you know, near interception, But otherwise I thought he was he was pretty good, all right.
Speaker 1: I would totally agree with that. I think that is a good I thought he made enough plays and really gutty performance.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right, you mentioned it, Mike. Why don't we kick things off, Matt with a little bit of the good, the bad, and the injured.
Speaker 7: Now it's time for the good, pretty good, pretty good, the bad.
Speaker 8: And the injured.
Speaker 1: Ah ah, you are right guy, alrighty, the good, the bad, and the injured.
Speaker 3: I don't know, is there another order thing here that I need to memorize?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 1: We just we just move around. We just move around on that we have.
Speaker 3: We made it obvious. Who was really good today and that was number thirty eight Ramondre Stevens.
Speaker 5: But I'm up there for the first one for sure. I mean, just a beast. And you know, it was funny thinking too back in I think it was two seasons ago when Patriots offense had a lot of struggles, and I just remember him being a lone bright spot a lot during that season because of you know what Paul said, his ability to make things happen when there's nothing there, and so I thought a little bit of that was definitely on display. You know, I did think there a couple runs where they were well blocked, but for the most part, it was kind of, you know, him trying to make a guy miss, kind of had that Jimmy White little you know, that little fake to the side and then cut up. Saw a little bit of that from Rmandi, But really good game from him, and yeah, he's got the game ball for sure.
Speaker 3: Who's your number two star, Paul Perlo?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't necessarily put him in order, but I would say I didn't see anything I didn't like defensively today. And I've been a little skeptical of the defense. Not you know, this is I just want to cut this off in the past because I've seen this a little on the Twitter machine. Suddenly now people who wondered if the defense would be the same without Bill Belichick are now now heaven being credited with saying the defense wouldn't be good. I never thought that would would be the case, but they were outstanding today. We're gonna get back to that in a second.
Speaker 3: All right, Patriots sixteen to ten winners in Cincinnati, and joining us now on the phone is safety Kyle Doug or Kyle. Congratulations on a great week one win. Kyle? Are you there?
Speaker 1: Sure he's there? I just am not not sure if you could hear us.
Speaker 3: Hey, Kyle, don't know if you can hear his congratulations on the win.
Speaker 4: Today, sir, Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 3: What defensively, Kyle, you hold this Bengals team down with all the explosion even though Chas and Higgins went around. What was the key do you think to you guys, defensively and keeping that Bengals team down?
Speaker 6: Kyle? Uh?
Speaker 10: This do you know?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 10: No, sorry, early, and we had consistent I'm doing our job.
Speaker 5: Kyle, big play on the on the takeaway there, you punched the ball out.
Speaker 1: Just what did you see there?
Speaker 5: How were you able to get in and and get that thing out for Marcus to pick it up and run with it?
Speaker 10: Uh, just one of one more opportunities to get the ball out before they got a man's off, and I was able to do better. But you know, just put that out.
Speaker 3: I having a high time, little little connection problem. I'll try one more time. I think one of the first series, Kyle, there was a tone setting play where you came up and hit Zach Moss and put him right in his place. Do you feel like that was short of sending Cincinnati message it it's not going to be easy today.
Speaker 10: I'm not really sure, you know, but I hope it did. But every player so I don't know if the way it did or not, but I hope.
Speaker 1: I can't hear it.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Okay, Kyle, congratulations, congratulations to the team, Coach Mayo, great job of getting the first one of the year. And we apologize everybody. We had a little bit of a technical issue there, baby Dad cell service in Cincinnati and the jungle.
Speaker 1: Let's blame it on that. Let's blame it on that. No, a great, great win though, and great like I started to say, but before Kyle called in, and I didn't. I didn't want to have him repeat the same stuff because I can't. I don't know if you guys were hearing any more than I did break it up. But obviously his play on the goal line was play. The game was a was a huge, huge time arning point. There's a ten point swing because it's you know, seven years, you know Cincinnati is going to get and uh, you know, Patriots ended up getting three off of that turnover. But I just thought overall during the course of the day, I didn't really notice and this is part of my good you know, back to the you know, our goods, just how sounds the Patriots were. There were no real breakdowns, there were no things that looked like they were way out of position. I just thought that it was a really sound first day. First uh, first impression for DeMarcus Covington.
Speaker 3: A big thank you to our partner Microsoft Surface, the official sideline technology provider and laptop of the NFL and the New England Patriots. It provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the new Surface Pro, designed to keep up with you as the most flexible, most powerful two and one laptop and tablet out there at surface dot com. We continue with the good, the bad, and the injured, and Charles Davis was talking about it maybe a bit of hyper hyperbole, Mike. There was a lot of pregame discussion about Keon White. He delivered today. He's maybe not as much as Charles Davis had to say, but he was impactful on the field today and his presence was felt. The Bengals surely knew that he was.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you walked me out on this plank mat because I'm happy to be out on it.
Speaker 1: I was happy to, you.
Speaker 5: Know, be pumping the brakes a little bit on key On White. I mean, I do think everything we said was valid. I think he was you know where he got his His production was, you know, kind of doing what we said, rushing from the inside, but he was a force inside. I love it, I love to see it. I'm happy to be wrong on him at least as far as week one goes. So more consistency there, but I think he was part of just overall. I liked the defensive plan, you know, and it seemed kind of to Paul's point, they were aggressive, they were dropping guys. I mean even I think the first third down where they're showing pressure and Bentley drops out, he's able to break.
Speaker 1: Up the pass.
Speaker 5: The only drive was that one drive, that one scoring drive they had where they just see they didn't even face a third down. They went right down the field. They were running the ball with success and then you know, but to the defense's credit, turned it around the next time.
Speaker 1: Held him to a field goal.
Speaker 5: You know, I mean, I think we all kind of thought that was going down to be a touchdown in a one point game at that point.
Speaker 1: So credit to them though.
Speaker 5: And key On White, great start for him, two and a half sacks, not a bad first week for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought he was. He was active and the one sack that he had that he just completely carved in the left side of the actually the right side of the Bengals line. He was on the defensive left side. The other two were just typical Keyon White plays like hustle, you know, hustle, physical play, like you know, fighting through the wash, and you know, Borrow tries to scramble when he's not able to get back to the line of scrimmage. So I thought he was really good. I've sort of been a little kind of in between our colleagues, Mike and you with Keon White, I'm not necessarily seeing this, you know, sixteen seventeen sack guys Aaron Donald in the making that our colleagues are making it out to be. And yet I'm not seeing what you're seeing either. Like he's pretty active and he's pretty physical, sort of looking to see if he can add some tools to the bell, as Evan would like to say, and he throws his cliche book at you. But yeah, I thought he was really good today. I think he was the one guy that stood out on defense. If you if you were looking for one guy, think Mike has it like you were.
Speaker 3: You mentioned the plan, dere I say. Their defensive game plan was almost Belichickian in nature. Everything was kept in front of them, nothing got behind them. And here's the one thing that to me was refreshing to see, especially for a week one game. I thought the tackling, by by and large, they tackled pretty well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's get up.
Speaker 3: There wasn't a lot of yards after the catch, there was there was yards to be had in front. They kept everything in front of him. But I thought they did a really good job of tackling buying large for the most part.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it was some of what they did last time, tried to do against Burrow last game they played him where they played a lot of cover two, tried to you know, stay deep, and he just picked him apart down below and still you know, three for three hundred and seventy five yards. Like you said, though without Chase and Higgins really being able to threaten that deep part of the field. It was interesting to me that they still seemed to approach the game that way against Burrow. I thought maybe they would be a little bit more willing to take some chances. But I thought they just spun the dial well, you know, And I think that's kind of the ultimate Belicheckian thing, is keeping the offense on their toes, not quite knowing if we're bringing you know, four four guys, five guys, six guys, three guys. I thought de Marcus Comington did a good job, especially at the end, you know, when it's like all right here, it is like you got to get a stop.
Speaker 1: So they got to stop, like because because you know, I've seen the Patriots have a good game plan before they're you know, they have some initial success. I think they had three three and outs the first three drives. After that, I thought Cincinnati did whatever it wanted until the drive with the game on the line. Then Covington got it right back in gear three and out. Really, you know, it wasn't like a hold onto your hat three and out. It was you know, two plays that you know could have worked for Cincinnati, but they were gonna They were you know, sort of high level play, level of difficulty. And then the third down play, I think Burrow this is probably Burrow's only mistaken then. I don't understand how you can check down on third and ten cost this team about thirty seconds, you know, of game time, throw the ball away in punt. You're gonna punt if you don't have the first down unless you're like leaning inches. So I thought that drive to me was more impressive than anything I saw. Defensively, you've sort of thrown everything at Joe Burrow, and you've kept everything under control, and now they've sort of figured you out. They know what you're doing now, Like they took the last the last two drives of the first half the Patriots, I mean, the Bengals moved the ball. One was the you know, the back to back touchdowns that weren't for the Bengals. And then the next drive they went right down the field and got I think they got stopped on a fourth down maybe, but they drove into scoring territory. Then they scored a touchdown, then they had another field goal, and You're like, you know, of course we're watching it. We had a new experience, Mike. We had an experience of watching a game live with Matt Smith, who evidently thinks it's it's still nineteen ninety one, Mike, Matt was waiting for something bad to happen at all times. And I gotta be honest with you, I thought, experience, for sure, Cincinnati would move into scoring position. Now, whether or not they got in the end zone, you don't know, but I thought for sure they would go fifty sixty yards and see what happens. I thought that stands by. The defense was really impressive, probably the most impressive possession I saw of the game.
Speaker 3: Yep, Okay, who else And I'll nominate one that's not sexy or anything like that. As we look at who was good on this game. Can we not overlook the performance by the field goal kicker because I think we sew my list? Yeah, because I think, as we said, as we're watching the game, I'm not sure Ryland makes those kicks. None of them were forty nine yarders into a wind, with precipitation and anything like that. All he did is just knock him down the middle. Huge plays. They got him into position to make the kicks. He made the kick. That's what your kicker is supposed to do, is any ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, I do think that those are the kinds of kicks that the kickers make. But he was perfect. You can't be better than perfect correct forty seven, thirty five, thirty two. You can't miss any of those, but he didn't. And by the way, they were all right down the middle. There wasn't any jet Chad Ryland like, is that going to be in or outside the right? Up right now? He nailed them all. I agree with Matt. He deserves to be on the On the goods, I mean I would put just the special teams in general, because I saw special teams very good.
Speaker 5: I mean a number of really good punts that helped field position. You know, Joe Cardona, the new captain, getting down forcing a fumble. Uh you know, I mean, I guess the only thing you can get is the rookie, you know, underraft, the rookie Del Pattis, you know, jumping off sides on the opening kickoff of the first game of his career.
Speaker 1: I tell you now, we have a lot more good to get to. That's the only thing I wrote down from my bad list.
Speaker 3: Penalties.
Speaker 1: No, just the opening kick. Penalties are going to You're gonna get some penalties. You can't get a penalty on the opening kick for that. Yeah, that was it. That's the only thing I wrote down. Look one thing, but just over by one, you know, as Fred would say, Whi's my.
Speaker 5: One nice job by Jeremy Springers is. I just thought that whole unit and everybody was ready to go and and they just everybody did their job today. And it's just that feels refreshing in a way. That's kind of surprising because you didn't have to set the world on fire on offense today, like you didn't. And I think, you know, probably Bill Belichi's gonna look at this game and it's like, well, the quarterback doesn't make any mistakes like, this is how we win games. You know, that's this was the formula. This has been the formula. I hope they can build off of this and not have to rely on the formula as much.
Speaker 1: It's gon say I'm gonna say that for the second hour. So I don't think you can win a lot of games too.
Speaker 5: It's hard to win in week one and a banged up Sincy team, and you just need something positive to put all the talk of the summer in the spring behind you and say, all right, you know criticisms are valid, but still this is a team that can can win a game.
Speaker 3: See Mike, Now you're onto something. And we talked about that in the pregame show. I think when Paul was doing one of his shows. It's when the when the coach, Elliott, whoever you want to put involved in this wants to try to establish the culture. It's all great to talk about we're going to do this, we're going to be transparent, we're going to do things a little bit differently. It's all great to try to do that, but the players need to see that you can win. Besides just talking about it. They need know that there's a plan in place that lets win games. Winning today, not maybe playing their best, but doing things being somewhat disciplined and winning the way they won. I think it just gives them a huge shot in the arm that, you know what, maybe we can do this. Maybe let's let us run through the wall for Gerard, like some of the players are saying, that's what that demonstrated.
Speaker 5: Well, let's you know, I'm gonna put your Romeo on the uplist. So you had a team that was ready to go out. I wanted to play a clean game. I would call that a clean game. I mean they had far as it goes, you know, but none but none that I think really kills you.
Speaker 1: I mean, I maybe got to.
Speaker 9: Go look back.
Speaker 5: I try to forget about the penalties as quickly as possible at this Mayo getting getting the splash down. But as I said in the pregame, wins at this point are worth their weighting goal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and who knows five penalties five?
Speaker 5: Who knows how many wins you're gonna have at the end of the season. But each one you get inspires a little more confidence, inspires a little bit more belief, inspires a little bit more buy in from not only the players and the people inside the building, but the fans outside the building, who say, you know, is this a team that is going I mean, you saw how some of these other teams today performed, and some of these other you know, teams that were underdogs by less than the Patriots were underdogs. I would add too, So i'd put your Rob may on there. Really nice win for his team, and I think they looked like a well coached team out there.
Speaker 3: Correct, Paul, you said you had a long list of goods.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I disagree with you, guys. I think the Patriots played an almost perfect game today. I don't think they can play any better than that. I have so many different things that I was impressed with. We talked about Douger, we talked about some individual stuff. I just thought when it was a play to be made Jonathan Jones, like fourth and two, terrific tackle, Like that's a great play, that's a game changing play. Like I know that they don't all come down like Dougger strips a guy of the ball inside the one yard line. That's Anybody who's ever watched a football game knows how important that is. But the change of momentum cannot be overstated with the play that Jonathan Jones makes if that's a first down, since he's gonna come away with that the minimum points, but probably seven. They were moving the ball and that's not an easy tackle to make in space. You made that comment, Matt, that the tackling was really good today for a Week one I would actually say for the entirety of the game, both teams. For a Week one game, there weren't a lot of mistackles. Now, Cincinnati missed a couple in late in the game when I think the ball, I think they're trying to strip the ball, and they quit. I think they quit. They said the only way we can win here is if we force a fumble. But for the most part, the tackling in that game was really good. That Jonathan Jones fourth and two play was outstanding. Outstanding play by by him. I literally could put every member of the defense on this. I thought the coverage was tight. You know a couple of plays there on the run that you know, they hit some seams there. But for the most part, I thought they were stout up front. Just what a really good performance.
Speaker 3: At web web radio at Patriots dot Com. Here's are we moving too fast? Into this category right now, you guys, let.
Speaker 1: Me know a little bit. Was still doing the good the bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah we are, But so I just want to let you know that this guy Nate wants to know the defense was great. He didn't see Gonzo much on his screen, which must mean he did a good job. And I don't know if you would agree with that, Paul Parlo.
Speaker 1: I think he was fine, but he was on the screen six times when the six catches that Jamar Chase made now weren't game breaking plays, but I don't think they sent him down the field the whole game. I don't think he was probably physically able to go down the field Chase, I mean, not Gonzales, right, I think that Gonzales was fine in this game. I didn't think there was anything wrong with him, But I didn't think it was an overly strong performance either. I thought a couple of those catches were short of the first down, and Chase was able to score through the tackle, pick up the necessary yardage for the first down. But it's also Jamar Chase. I'm not looking for, you know, three for fourteen, right, You know that was a really good performance by the defense. The only Marco Wilson gets a pass interference because he was out of position on one done. The one deep ball that Cincinnati threw in the entire game resulted in a penalty and he knew it. But other than that, like, I been hard pressed to find anything even remotely negative about anything on defense. Yeah, they were just really good. How many yards? I lost it?
Speaker 6: Mike?
Speaker 3: How about you?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: I agree very much with the you know, with what Paul said, and I mean, I think you know kind of what we're getting at here in this.
Speaker 1: Second and twenty four yards total team.
Speaker 5: Win, you know, just it felt like a team win where it was you know, a couple of plays I would say, you know, to the Gonzales point, he didn't really have one of those plays like you mentioned Jones had where he came out and made a tackle, stopped the guy short. Felt to me like they were in a little bit of zone too. So I don't know, but hey, it's just a team effort, and I think at this point that's what that's what you're looking for from these guys. Are they all on the same page, Are they well coached? Are they not beating themselves? In Week one on the road? They did they checked those boxes, so it's something to build off of. But you know, it's it's it's cool, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I would also say, like, just you know, we're back to Gerard Mayo. I think you might wanted to put him specifically, so you come out of the gate right your first quarter of the Gerard Mayo regime, they out outgained one oh seven to seventeen. That was the first quarter total. Now it's one of those things we all said Cincinnati generally isn't ready to play at the start of the season under Zach Taylor, and I think we all said it, but I'm not sure how many of us believed it. No, they weren't ready. They weren't ready, and the Patriots were and they exposed them.
Speaker 3: Check Mayo. Check Mayo right in the checkbox.
Speaker 1: So again, I have I have a lot of stuff like it's just.
Speaker 5: What's funny, say Paul I did have, well, I had, I guess I did have one X on josh Ucha. I think he got an off side penalty. But otherwise that and the Marco Wilson with only two x's I wrote down on defense besides specific players of who that guy just screwed up.
Speaker 1: So like a game.
Speaker 5: I mean, Jawan Bentley I thought was active. You know, he continues to kind of be the heart beat in the middle of this of this defense. And yeah they were good.
Speaker 3: Uh, you're watching and listening to the Patriots postgame show where the Patriots were a surprising sixteen to ten winner in Cincinnati. The Bengals today, Paul, do we pivot to bad? And I don't know how much bad there was. I'm out it wasn't perfect. Yeah, it wasn't perfect. I thought there was some Listen.
Speaker 1: I might go down in an area for you, but I'd like you so I'll just say in general, like I understand like people are gonna look at the you know what a homer Paul is turned into because they win one game. And I have nothing bad to say because I treat this kind of stuff with different you know, on a curve, like Jacoby Brissett was nowhere near good enough by NFL standards, but I thought he managed the game tremendously well. He missed a couple of throws, he also made a couple of big throws on third downs, and.
Speaker 3: He also did a couple of things with that.
Speaker 1: That's what happens when you play with a backup quarterback. He's gonna make some plays, he's gonna miss some plays. You're gonna end up with two hundred and sixty or two hundred and eighty yards of offense and sixteen points. Oh by the way, before I get bloed for that, I said they would score sixteen points. I just thought the other team would have twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Right, So the one and this is picnicking a little bit. And when while I'm gonna criticize, I think there was a reason for them doing it up thirteen to nothing, they really went into a shell offensively. You know, it was almost like they we can't put the ball on Harm's way. The Bengals had taken over the line of scrimmage at that point in time when he was going back to pass, Brissette was getting popped. You know, it was a free for all back there. Did they need to continue to do that in order to manage the game and continue to win the game and play conservative?
Speaker 5: I think that's going to be learning who you are and what you can do. And I mean I think they probably were airing a little bit on the side of caution. I mean, why wouldn't you You're off to a good start. You're playing pretty clean, So I didn't necessarily hate it, but I think it's a sign of this is where this offense needs to go. You know, this needs to be an offense that in those moments can now we're going to hit a twenty five yard pass, you know, those kind of things, which they're not there yet, but I think that they can say, look, our running game is pretty solid, and you know, Ramandre obviously is you know, looking good.
Speaker 1: Let's try to build off of.
Speaker 5: This and see ways that we can start to be a little bit more aggressive and grow as an offense.
Speaker 1: Part if you had, like if you had a really productive offer, or even like a middling offense, you probably win that game today, something closer to, I don't know, thirty to twenty instead of sixteen to ten. You know, because they're so limited offensively, I think they had to do what they did. And I hate conservative and I hate running the ball, but I absolutely would have run the ball. I said to you when it was thirteen nothing, I wouldn't throw another pass until the Cincinnati scores. Cincinnati scored. They threw a couple more passes, a couple of third downs on that field goal, drive, which I thought was a huge drive to rescore the two score lead right away. Again, I thought Prissette was good enough. He made one mistake, got away with it and you know, really kept the ball out of harm's way otherwise. And I thought did a really good job of finding a way to get first downs with runs that you know, improbable runs where he was taking a lot of hits, especially at the end there, I mean, not that last.
Speaker 5: You know, a couple carries pretty pressive.
Speaker 3: He did a couple things with his legs too, you know, I thought that that was a nice little touch that for set he could get out of harm's way sometimes. He showed some real stones on a couple of those runs too.
Speaker 1: Yep, he did.
Speaker 5: And I mean I think, like if it all went perfectly, like I was thinking though, it's like, wow, it's kind of nice to enjoy Patriots win without a bunch of calls.
Speaker 1: Like now our draft pick's gonna be worse. You know you haven't well, you haven't taken the calls yet those you would go, well, now I'm expecting instead of out, you're gonna hear now. It means it's gonna be longer until Drake.
Speaker 5: Meg gets it, you know, but I think in a perfect world you're saying, look, this is a pretty solid offense. And I'm not saying that's what we're here now. I'm saying, in a perfect world, if this were to continue to evolve, that, hey, we got a pretty solid offense that's just lacking playmaking at the quarterback position. Now you're probably gonna put a rookie in there at some point and you're gonna you're gonna get some more mistakes. You're also hopefully they're going to get some bigger plays, and that's, you know, if they can set the table for Drake may. I think that's what we're all hoping for instead of all right, we got to put them in there, but we know it's you know, it's gonna be really hard. At least now you feel like Mark, well, maybe they do have a little bit of something that they can lean into.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, you mentioned the phones. Let's go to the phones. Sean and vanc whover your next year on Patriot's post game show. Good afternoon, Sean.
Speaker 11: Hey, Matt, I think you're doing an amazing job. You know, it's kind of funny. I don't care about the Lions. I don't like them. I don't dislike them, but the previous post of the show was a huge fan and you hate them, so I think that's kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: And fath.
Speaker 3: Entirely wrong.
Speaker 11: But right, that's fine. But this gave us a huge surprise. This is the Patriots way, you know, do your job.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 11: They live in mistakes and they had a smart plan and I think Brissett looked like it helped him to be in that system in the past, being Cleveland system, he knew what he was doing. Another player I think also benefited from that was Hooper, the tight End. And one thing I wanted to ask Mike about. Yeah, I don't know if you've seen the New Giants' uniforms, but they kind of reminded me of the Have Total.
Speaker 1: You know, those are not the New Giants uniforms A throw.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Yeah, and they're bad.
Speaker 1: They are bad, I think, and every time I see it.
Speaker 3: Thanks thanks for the call, Sean, and I half assumed to see ivon Corn, you know, lining up when.
Speaker 1: You called them like Benetton's Jesus so terrible, terrible.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know, I want to say one thing though, that Sean said that I don't know. I hope we're making enough of a big deal. Like, nobody expected this team to go into Cincinnati and win. Again, it wasn't perfect, but that was real.
Speaker 1: That was Curris picked it did he gotta give I gotta give props where there. That's that's not even sarcastic. I gotta give props with there too. And a lot of people thought that this game was winnable. I was not one of them. I'm not going to pretend that I am one of those people that thought this was going to happen.
Speaker 3: I wasn't because of the roster, Paul, right, I mean, everybody knew that Chase was going to be somewhat limited. You knew, Lally.
Speaker 1: We thought the game was going to get played the way it got played, and I still thought the Bengals would win it. I thought the Bengals would be sloppy as hell because Chase wasn't there the whole summer, right, you know, they were sloppy as hell and they didn't overcome it. I thought they would overcome it. And like I said, that Covington response on that final drive is what really impressed me.
Speaker 3: Web Radio at Patriots dot Com is our email address here. This one coming to us from Michael in Yarmouth, who wants to know would it be fair to say that the Patriots defense could end up being in the top five defenses in the league. That seems to me to be a bit of an overreaction to Week one. Maybe that's just me, Mike.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, I'm not gonna get into I still don't right of ways to go. I mean, you know, you just face Cincinnati without one of their top weapons and a limited other top weapon and two new running backs, and you know, a brand new tight end. I mean, there were a bunch of new pieces for Joe Burrow today. So look, I don't want to take take away any credit, but going forward, you're gonna have to prove that you can play a team that has their full contingent and be able to do this.
Speaker 1: And I will even say, like today, like I'll be a little even a little more I get what you're saying, Mike, and I largely agree. I'll be a little more positive if like today, Yes, like I'm not gonna put all the asters like Joe Burrow is their starting quarterback. This isn't a typical Patriots beat up on a bad offense with a backup. This was Joe Burrow, who's one of the best quarterbacks in football. Yes, he was missing some of his weapons, but they had guys out there, and Chase played well, you know, for what he was asked to do, six for sixty two. But can this is what kind of bugs me? And I know this is everywhere. This is not a Boston thing, it's not a Patriots fan thing, But why do we take snapshots off the very best that we ever seen and say is that it? So we saw the Patriots defense virtually make like three mistakes today in sixty minutes ball out, and now we say, is this a tough Is this the best defense in the league? Rush top five defense?
Speaker 3: Last to judgment?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Can I maybe watch two months before I decide if I think it's one of the best in the in the league. Can I see them when they're maybe not playing at their best and see how bad it looks? Or maybe can I see them when the game plan doesn't work out of the shoot. Today's game plan on both sides of the ball I thought was excellent. Yes, Patriots moved the ball early and they stopped Cincinnati from moving it early. Their game plan was outstanding.
Speaker 3: Well coached, out coached.
Speaker 1: Can I see what it looks like when maybe they don't get it right heading into the week or taps off to Mayo and Covington today, right and Van Peltz, Or.
Speaker 3: When teams get a chance to see, Oh, let's see what this Keon White's doing. Where's he lining up? Let's see what he put some tape out there? What they're doing? Back to the phones, Christian in La. You are next on the Patriots postgame show. Good afternoon, Christian.
Speaker 12: Hey you guys, great Patriots win. I will take it no matter how you know. On exciting it was. But I'll say this, what I saw today was a couple of questions that I think we all had. Ken Girod Mayo coach. He showed competency. Ken the offensive line protect it all. They showed competency in the defense going to be good. They showed competency. So it seems like we we did the things we need to do, and that you guys said, I think it was last week. We're gonna have to beat some teams that come in unprepared and maybe hurt and banged up, and we did that. My question to you guys is and I have two of them. One do you guys feel as sort of uh blank stared as I was with the the wide receivers. Seemed like they didn't play at all. And it seems to me, once we do get a play a team that could stop the run, I don't know how this team is going to score. That's the first question. The second question is.
Speaker 8: Show competency.
Speaker 12: Because the offensive line did show competence, do you think that shortens the waiting time for Drake may I know we were just waiting to see, you know, the numbers he was.
Speaker 3: Don't get killed, right, Christian, thank you for the phone call. I think Paul is going to object to you.
Speaker 9: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Certainly past protection was was a problem throughout the day. I think that's why they were so conservative.
Speaker 3: Matt to you a point, Yes, I agree with you, and which is why you didn't see much out of the wide receivers. To Christian's point, I didn't see anything from the wide receivers because they really weren't involved much in the game.
Speaker 1: Plan and they really don't have any correct I mean, I'm not trying to be mean here, but they have a bunch of you know, complimentary pieces Jalen Polk, kJ Osborne, Jamario Douglas. They're like, they're all capable of Taekwon Thornton showed up today with a couple of catches. But they're not gonna make their living on the outside with big players from their wide receivers. That's not how they're built.
Speaker 3: Correct Emailer Cynthia saying this was so needed. Yes, the Bengals are not at their best, but we have to admit our defense brought it and we were better than expected. In all caps, this is hope, and I agree with her on that we're Cynthia. We're tooting Ramandre and he needs to not overdo it, and their defense saw how much we needed. It was an awesome start.
Speaker 1: That's one hundred percent. Can we just do like I like Cynthia's approach there today. If we want to talk about today, there aren't enough superlatives. I think today they were outstanding and really all aspects, all three phases. I think that they played very well and even offensively, even though they didn't have any production. They did what they were asked to do offensively. I just don't want to, like try to make these sweeping judgments over well, maybe that, well, maybe that you know, we can we get something. No, today everything was great, like I'm not you know, you know what you know the word, what's what's the word I'm coming out with? My is this sustainable? No, you can't win like that seventeen times. You can't. But but they showed hope, hope in caps. I like Cynthia's hope in caps. I like that.
Speaker 3: And so here's the deal. You know as well as anybody, Paul that everybody tomorrow is going to be over reaction Monday, and you know, all the expectations of everything like that. Let's take this win for what it was and try to build on it. And that's what the challenge is going to be for mal I couldn't agree.
Speaker 4: Staff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, he knows better than anybody. You're not gonna win many sixteen to ten games.
Speaker 1: But even then, like it's just you're not gonna win many games. Like the style that they tried to play, you know, throwing for one hundred and twenty yards, that's not going to do it. Like you're not going to You're not going to score enough points to win most times doing that. Now you held the other teams only one hundred and sixty five yards throwing, so like it was enough today. You played really, really, really well, complimentary on all three phases.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's go back to the phone lines. Let's go to Neil in Cork, Ireland. To hold on a second, let me get the button over there, Bingo, Neil, you're next on the Patriots postgame show. Good night or good good evening.
Speaker 13: I guess for you there, Yes, thirty first time corner, a longtime listener, and I just wanted to say I didn't expect too much after the preseason, but the defense was awesome. Romandre was was played excellent and a few notem trying to read him, and yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Can for your show later.
Speaker 14: I last, I'm a.
Speaker 13: Couple of glasses of wine deep that.
Speaker 11: I can.
Speaker 13: I can actually understand the boy. They played for sett and some of the hits he took were pretty hard, so like I can see why they didn't want to risk Drake may I thought Jacoby played really well, and you know, he wasn't amazing, but he did his job. They did very well. I felt the whole performance kind of felt well check in in a way, and I was very happy for Mayo and this last one is I once sent a bottle of whiskey via Kevin Connolly to good Paul there.
Speaker 14: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I oh, Neil, thank you very much. I know exactly what you're talking about, and I do appreciate it. Thank you very much. Kevin does have it?
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 13: Did you ever get to drink it?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: No, you know that Conley guy, he hogged it all for himself. No, but that was a very nice gesture on your part. Kevin did tell me about that.
Speaker 3: Thank you, And Neil, thanks for the phone call. You know, he said something in that call, Mike, we said, you know, he didn't have a lot of great feeling. After the preseason. We talked a bunch of the pregame show about like the preseason's over. We now see how this team, at least they put out on tape, how they want to play. I think they'd certainly like a little bit more production the passing game, let's all agree on that. But this is how they want to play, and they want to run the ball, and they want to try to create turnovers, take it away from you and keep you out of the end zone. And so far after one week as planned.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you know, that the caller we mentioned the thing about the wide receivers, like, I think that was very true when the Patriots are able to get another drive together, Grant, I think Romandre had a big catch, but then you had big catch from Hooper, big catch from Hunter Henry.
Speaker 1: You know, it's the tight ends.
Speaker 5: I always thought it's the tight ends and the running backs that are really going to make, you know, be the engine of this of this offense. But I just think it's a sign of they're gonna be a little bit limited while they have Jacoby Brissette at quarterback, and this is you know, somewhat with the game style they have to play. You know, just looking at the game book, you know, one for four in the red zone, I think, to me, that's like, okay, this is where you know, that's a signal of where we are.
Speaker 1: That should have been on the bad list. Yeah, so that that's good.
Speaker 5: That needs to be better and that you know, but it's a perfect example of things get tighter down there. There's no room for mistakes. You really got to be on it. You gotta have athletes to win in the red zone and to score touchdowns. If you don't get explosive plays they didn't really get explosive plays, so they were able to get Remandre for the one touchdown. So I think that's, you know, the signal of where it needs to go. And can Jacoby figure out a way to connect with those tight ends down in the red zone.
Speaker 1: I think that's the next step.
Speaker 3: Our European connection continues at web radio at Patriots dot Com. Out from Italy says super Bowl we are cut just kidding, but maybe we should hose him down a little bit. I think that's a little.
Speaker 1: He was Josh, he's the one in memory used to be less Andy Moore, Paul, So we like Alfa Italy. Yeah, you know what with all the stuff, you know that the the hits, I have to be honest, some of the hits that Brissette took today, Like I've been really adamant about, like when it's about it's about May, it's about May, It's about May, when May is ready, when May is ready, some of the hits that Prissette took today. I was thinking to myself, Okay, maybe we can be a little more patient because.
Speaker 3: Right which I don't understand email or Nick who's asking he loves the show, guys and love the win with the line play today and Prissettes just okay play. Do you feel like this puts even more pressure on Mayor to explain why no.
Speaker 1: May Some people saw something in the offensive line today that I didn't see quite frankly, I have to be honest. I thought the running game was solid okay, But it was okay all because of ramondre Stevenson. There was a couple of big runs earlier that I thought they creased. They did a good job the touchdown run. They did a good job opening some holes. The vast majority of what he got in the last three quarters was on his own like it was on his own like I in the past, protection was a going concern every dropback, Like I just I don't think. I don't think I saw it the same way Mike had these numbers. There was something like that, but it was seven I think seven QB hits and he on like eighteen dropbacks and three three scrambles and seven hits. So ten out of eighteen times he dropped back, he got hit right. So I know I ended up being a little bit more than that by the time the game was over. But that was like a snapshot in the fourth.
Speaker 3: Quarter right, I would say, oh, Contrier, Nick, today's game showed me that's why you're playing Jacoby pers.
Speaker 1: And I've been correct. I've been on the other side. So again this is me saying I was rue like some of the hits that Persette took today would make me hesitant to to just throw May out there.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately, if those hits continue, you maybe.
Speaker 1: He's going to get Yeah, you're gonna get it rather than later.
Speaker 3: You know, you be careful what you wish for.
Speaker 5: On that one, I was trying to figure out what this is like when the last feel good Patriots win was Oh, that's a good one. I don't know about you guys, but I think I'm going all the way back to the twenty nine to zero shutout of the Lions in twenty twenty two. That might be the last time it felt like it wasn't you know, a B team quarterback or a team you know they all got COVID or you know, all the kind of qualifiers that used to get with some of these wins, Like there wasn't really a feel good win last year, and a lot of those wins down the stretch, Kyler Murray gets hurt. You know what like the third play of the game, you beat Miami's backup, you beat the Jets ten to three, you know, maybe twenty six to three against the Colts, But I mean, I really that's as far as you have to go back to feel like.
Speaker 3: Did go starts in that game?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, So I think that's an excellent job by you on research to go into the last time you felt like that was a good win.
Speaker 1: I would say Buffalo last year. Buffalo. Yeah, that's all like that was the one time that Mac Jones, you know, was able to come from behind. He led a late drive and they were able to win a game that I don't think a lot of people did. But to Mike's point, the twenty nine nothing game against Detroit, the season was still a season, and that Buffalo will win. This season was already over, already won and five. You know, everywhere it was everywhere except for Patriots unfiltered. The season was already over. Win Buffalo one. I remember, you know, being told that the window was open at the time, and I said, no, it's not. But anyway, I thought that was a good win. Last year, the Buffalo win. You know, it was early enough in the season. It wasn't like that, like the Denver and Pittsburgh games, I would wouldn't count because they get the season was really over at that point. But the Buffalo game was early enough in the season would have made him two and four to five. I mean him two and five, two and five. There was still time theoretically.
Speaker 5: But still there was a cloud over it of like and you just knew like this, Like I think the thing with this team though, is that you always had preconceived notions with a Belichick team or at a certain point of Mac Jones team. And you know, I think at that point last year when Buffalo, when they beat Buffalo, was kind of like, well that was great. But I've been watching this team for two months at this point and they this isn't changing my opinion of them. This where everything was so unknown, just to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't sleep on that Christmas Eve Denver game. Don't forget what the narrative was at that point in time. The scribe, the scribe that Bill still had the team, They're still playing hard for Bill. That was the narrative after that game. You know, that was a decent win in Denver.
Speaker 1: It was a terrible win though we didn't want to win.
Speaker 5: You know, it's not decent of these new Denver uniforms.
Speaker 1: We're looking out on the red zone chain. Yeah, I don't love them. I love them. What are we doing?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 15: I do?
Speaker 5: Like the throwback getting is getting me all. I had a Steve Large and jersey of this this nature. So credit to the Seahawks wearing them this next week though, that's that's unfortunate.
Speaker 1: That'd be pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Okay, Web Radio with Patriots dot Com continuing with our European pipeline. This is Wayne from the UK. Good complimentary football, tight game throughout. I stood up on my living room the whole game. It was nice to have someone like Prisette manage a game and not give the ball away. He'll be going to the game on ten twenty, so good for Wayne.
Speaker 1: Difference difference in this game between this game today and mac Jones in a typical performance, not like one of them is terrible, like not like Dallas last year. Okay, a regular run of the mill mac Jones game last year. In this game, what was the difference turnovers? The guy dropped the interception in the end zone last year that passed that Mac Mac threw, the guy caught it. You know that was a difference down.
Speaker 3: So Paul, let's go back to that play for a second, because I think when we saw that play out in real time, we were wondering what's going through the coach's mind on the sideline, And it seemed from that point on there was a dread in calling the players like we can't do this.
Speaker 1: We're going to lose this game is if they turn the ball over.
Speaker 3: So we're not going to do that anymore.
Speaker 1: Especially especially in a position to take points off the board, which that would have done. They would have left the game at have it nothing.
Speaker 3: So, by the way, I say, Chris Judge, great job. By the way, on Tate love.
Speaker 1: It always anytime you talk about a play, he's going to have an So I will say the other the other, and this was not necessarily minor. But the other difference I think between Brissette today and mac Jones on a positive side, was the handful of I'm just looking seven seven carries for thirty two yards. I would say four or five of those were were valuable runs that you would not have gotten out, no question about it, no question. But also seems like the team likes Jacoby Brissette see Now I don't know why you got to take it. Then, you know, the sixteen that's very much on brands. That's that's that's very much on brand to what they would have scored. I think they averaged fifteen last year or something like that, or fourteen.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Uh. David writes in and says, good to win Cleveland Brown's vibe. For sure, run the football, play good. You hope that your opponent doesn't capitalize on the mistakes you make or the footballs you in harms way. Still, I'll take it. We just really talked about the only time that they put the football on Harm's way, wasn't it? And and from that point on they did.
Speaker 1: They did fumble, they were fortunate to get it back. Remindri Stevenson had a fumble and they had a near pick. But for the most part, when you're playing better than the other team, those are the breaks that you earn, right, And they played better than Cincinnati for sixty minutes, Like this wasn't a Fluke win. No, it wasn't a Fluke win. Now you want to tell me, I'm not sure the Patriots can do much more than that, And I'm not sure the Bengals can play much worse than that. I probably would would listen to that argument, but it was not a fluke win. The Patriots played better for sixty minutes, no question, they were the better team for sixty full minutes.
Speaker 5: You know, Like after the last couple of years, to a refrain that I thought a lot is like, it's just it's always a narrow path to victory with this team, and there isn't really if you deviate on that line with turnovers or too many negative plays that they're just kno going to be.
Speaker 1: Like a back alley. It's so narrow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it's and I think that that still exists. You know, it's gonna depend overall on the season with how many takeaways they got. A couple of years ago, they got a bunch. Last year they didn't get a lot, and that was reflected in the record. But of all the good things we saw today, it still feels like it's a it's a narrow road to victory. If they were able to play that way again and put some teams that they'll give themselves a chance, but it's gonna be hard.
Speaker 1: I agree, any games they play like today, they will have a chance to win eight.
Speaker 3: Five to five Pats five hundred is our number here. Let's go to Johnny in South Beach before we take a break. Good afternoon, Johnny. You're on the Patriot's postgame show.
Speaker 13: Audi.
Speaker 14: Thanks for taking my call before a break. First of all, I was just going to bring up that near interception in the end zone. I wanted to shout out my boy Hunter, Henry. I feel like he turned into a cornerback mid air and kind of caused that, or maybe the corner dropped it. I'm not totally sure.
Speaker 1: I think the guy dropped it, but Henry was part of the reason why he dropped it right, absolutely yeah.
Speaker 14: And he had that nice little catch across the middle kind of when they needed it. And I called earlier about the pass rush. Do you guys think my fears were allied by the pass rush? I know, I know, like I heard some good pressure today, but I couldn't necessarily stay on the place.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the call, Johnny, Mike, what do you think about pressure today? And I know there's a big topic of conversation in the pregame show.
Speaker 1: Mostly not great.
Speaker 5: There were there were some pockets of good, but I thought, you know, mostly it was tough. The pocket was not always there for Jacobe, you know, stepping up a little bit and had to score it out a couple of times. But yeah, I mean something at least to build off of.
Speaker 1: I think was he talking about the pressure they allowed or the pressure. I thought he was talking about the pressure. I thought early in the game, I thought the Patriots did a good job of getting after Burrow. I thought that a couple I thought the last three quarters for the most part, you know, it kind of went away. But I do think they were around Burrow a little bit and made them move. I think Burrow is a very underrated mobility guy. I think he runs well and I think he of voids pressure pretty well. But I thought early in the game they ended up with three sacks. But I thought early in the game they got the ball out pretty quickly.
Speaker 5: I thought, yeah, I mean, so sorry for answering that question the wrong way, but yeah, I would agree with Paul's assessment.
Speaker 1: Early on, it felt it felt good.
Speaker 5: Some of them felt a little late in the down, almost felt like they took the first couple reads away from Burrow, and you know, then the pressure kind of played out as the down got later.
Speaker 1: But you know it's it's more to be.
Speaker 5: Done, and I was big concern of that, and again I'm happy to see them just causing disruption.
Speaker 3: Week one is in the books for the New England Patriots, sixteen to ten winners over the Cincinnati Bengals in Cincinnati, first career win for head coach to Rod Mayo, we're going to take a time out. We'll be back with more of the Patriots postgame show after this. But don't forget easy to drink, Easier to enjoy bud Light, the official beer sponsor of the New England Patriots.
Speaker 15: Without good blocking, your team's not going anywhere. Cisco blocks cyber attacks for customers around the world, including the entire Fortune one hundred and the NFL because when the game is on the line, and it's all always on the line, the NFL relies on Cisco.
Speaker 7: It ain't my dad's razor dot hey watch, it's from Gelett Lapse. This green bar releases trapped hairs from my face. Game change well afflex this contours to it so the five blades can get virtually every hair in one stroke for the ultimate Gellett shaving experience.
Speaker 4: The best to make can get his Gelett lapse.
Speaker 16: By the time this Patriots fan is finished drinking his pepsi, you'll be fifteen seconds closer to game time. Patriots watching better with Pepsi.
Speaker 15: Without good blocking, your team's not going anywhere. Cisco blocks cyber attacks for customers around the world, including the entire Fortune one hundred and the NFL, because when the game is on the line, and it's always on the line, the NFL relies on Cisco.
Speaker 7: It ain't my dad's razor dot, hey watch, it's from Jelett Lapse. This green bar releases trapped hairs from my face. Game change well to flex. This contours to it so the five blades can get virtually every hair in one stroke for the ultimate to let shaving experience.
Speaker 4: The best to me I can get is to let lapse.
Speaker 16: By the time this Patriots fan is finished drinking his pepsi, you'll be fifteen seconds closer to game time. Patriots watching better with pepsi.
Speaker 17: You've got to watch your NFL team every Sunday, and Verizon's got you covered for all your team's out of market games every Sunday afternoon. Come on from kickoff to sign off, from first downs and touchdowns to turnovers, no and overturn plays.
Speaker 8: After review, the past was incomplete.
Speaker 1: Nice do this season?
Speaker 17: Win every Sunday with Verizon, Get a great deal on NFL Sunday ticket from YouTube and YouTube TV, and a new phone excludes digital only games. Terms nembargo's apply.
Speaker 18: When someone accidentally threw away the school play costumes, oh No, replacements were shipped with FedEx and with picture proof of delivery, everyone could focus on the perfect opening night FedEx. Where now meet's next for residential delivery only.
Speaker 17: You've got to watch your NFL team every Sunday, and Verizon's got you covered for all your team's out of market games every Sunday afternoon. Come on from kickoff to sign off, from first downs and touchdowns, oh to turnovers, no and overturn plays.
Speaker 8: After review, the past was incomplete. Nice's do this season?
Speaker 17: Win every Sunday with Verizon, Get a great deal on NFL Sunday ticket from YouTube and YouTube TV, and a new phone excludes digital only games. Turns in Marco's apply.
Speaker 2: Join the conversation by calling the eighth Ticket hot line at eight five patch five hundred, or emailed the show at web radio at Patriots dot com Live from our studios inside the name, and then here's Matt Smith.
Speaker 3: All right, welcome back to the Patriots Post Game Show. Patriots sixteen to ten winners over the Cincinnati Bengals, Week one action in the NFL, Ask and You show received Matt. Let's go to speed in Fresno. Matt, you're next on the Patriots Postgame Show or specheck.
Speaker 19: Brisette with shades of Tom Barns are there in Major League when he was stumbling around at for some of those hits. I'm glad he made it out. That's interesting games like like we've been saying, it's kind of bell and chicky in like with the defense, run the ball, low scoring, even had a Perillo pick three off the must punt.
Speaker 20: Hey, it looks of looked like it looked a lot like the hard to watch Patriots for recent years, but it felt more enjoyable to watch, even before they won the game, like to Part of that probably has to do with being maybe more.
Speaker 19: Buttoned up, not not as many unforced arrors, not a quarterback peeing himself, But then a lot of it has I think put a lot of it on the Bengals too. They they didn't look ready for a week one.
Speaker 3: They were co conspirators. I think they were cod think.
Speaker 19: They tackled very well in the first half. I mean, I disagree with Paul. I think in the first half they did not tackle very well. It's because Sicky, like you guys have been saying, because Sticky catches that that touchdown pass. Then we're talking about how how Gonzales didn't cover Chase tight enough on the previous sort of first down conversion. There's a lot of things.
Speaker 1: Oh, but you didn't think the Patriots tackled well in that game?
Speaker 19: Oh, I did the No, the Patriots definitely tackled well.
Speaker 1: I was saying that the Bengals and why are we talking about it not Gerar Chase?
Speaker 19: No no, I was saying different from when when? When when Gonzalez kind of played him a little bit stowting that third and long on the play right before Gasicki's almost touchdowns, Like that was almost a whiff by Gonzalez. I thought he could have played him tighter.
Speaker 3: That's all all right, Thanks for the callsb We spent a decent amount of time in the pregame show talking about the ghost of Mike Kiseki and was he going to come back and haunt the Patriots, and I thought he looked really good. That was a play where I didn't argument with some people on the phone texting that they thought there was good coverage by Duggar on that play. I don't think it was very coverage rich right.
Speaker 9: I thought.
Speaker 3: I thought Gasecki posted him up, should have caught it, should have had a touchdown, But they avoided it there, you know, because he couldn't contain the catch the whole way through. And Kasecki really didn't do much other than a couple catches the rest of the games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I mean I didn't think that he would have much more than that, But you got to make the touchdown catch. Totally agree with you. And if he makes the touchdown catch, that that's the difference between, no question, doing nothing and having a good game like Mike Kasicki's not going to go out and do a like Isaiah likely did on the opener Thursday night. He's not that kind of player.
Speaker 7: Nope.
Speaker 1: But he's gonna get you four or five catches and come down with the m And he should have had that. But that wasn't even a that was a drop like he hit he he caught the ball in the air, took it all the way to the body, came down and the ball moved like there was a technicality incomplete. I mean, like you gotta have that. That's not a hard play craft.
Speaker 3: Saam from Halifax emails at web radio at Patriots dot com. Hey guys, I thought kJ showed up a couple of times today and seems to be a go to for Jacoby. What did you think of his game? Could I answer first and say not much?
Speaker 1: I thought he was fine.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought all those receivers, I thought when they were asked to make a play, they generally did it. Nothing special.
Speaker 5: I mean Osborne and both had three catches. That was the leading three for twenty one. I guess you call that the leading. But Hooper two for thirty one, Thornton two for twenty seven, Henry two for eighteen, Douglas.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just this is not much. I was going to pick one of those guys today, you know, in terms of impact plays, I would say Thornton, Yes, I thought the two catches that he made were plays, and yeah, you know, and like I thought, uh Osborne. I know, one of Osborne's catches came on a third down that he was well short of the sticks and got tackled. Like I thought, see this is again it sounds like I'm being critical. It's Bresette like. Sometimes he's gonna throw one and the guy's gonna be able to catch it. Sometimes he's gonna throw it so high that if to Mario, Douglas has to jump out of the roof to catch it, and by the time he gets down he doesn't have the ability to pick up the first down. Like these things happen, right.
Speaker 3: Uh eighty five Pats five hundred, Pat from Agawam, Pat from Agawam, You are next on the Patrio's postgame show. Good afternoon.
Speaker 14: What's going on, guys?
Speaker 3: How are you doing?
Speaker 1: To Patty?
Speaker 21: Hey, I'll tell you well, who called I called it? I called it on Why I called it? Like way back when the schedule first came out, I went on having an analysis show, and I said, you know, Week one is sneaky winnable because of the history. I know, probably you don't really buy into a lot of that, but yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it's like the history is the history. But both teams had terrible Week one history, so I didn't know which one to go on, and.
Speaker 3: Boy, did Cincinnati play to their level of Week one?
Speaker 1: Patriot's just won their first opener since twenty twenty.
Speaker 21: Yep, that's true. And I'll tell you what man I was. I was very surprised and like them not shooting themselves in the foot, because that was the one thing that kind of worried me about coming in here. Was like what we saw throughout the entire preseason and throughout training camp was like, you know, the pre snat penalties. You know, it didn't show up today, which was really good. And I'll say this, if they can play kind of like they played today, they could be two and zero. Because Seattle, I mean, they're not that great of a team. But going forward after that, you know, it's a rough stretch and it's a good win. I'm not going to take anything away. I'm happy, and you know, I can't wait for next week.
Speaker 6: Let's go baby, all right, pat.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much for the phone call. Cam in North Carolina. You're next on Patriot's postgame show. Hi Cam cam A you there? You got a sound effect for me? Matt can't a court? I did hit it? Cam you there? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, is that that's the Matts? That's Matt Morrell's Yeah he was. I mean I hit it right.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll let you know when I make it.
Speaker 1: Sorr, it's hard Hardy used to dramma. Oh I think it was flat red. It's supposed to be a blinking Okay.
Speaker 3: Let's see web radio at Patriots dot com is the address. This is from Cynthia. This is a feel good win because nobody thought we could do it. We have room for improvement and we can get better by next week to take on the Seahawks one game at a time. We're starting to get into the one game at a time mentality. What do you think about that?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: That's right? Okay, Like don't let's not you know, make any sweeping general like you know, like the last like Patty like to what O like? Okay, I like this mentality better. Let's you know, feel good win today. They should have a very enjoyable flight home. Let's get ready for next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that, agreed.
Speaker 5: It's probably like in the past, my when we said after watching Kansas City, uh, you know, playing the opener, like looking at these two teams.
Speaker 1: Like, right, that changed based on what you saw today? No, it was Now it's more about just like all right, check one win off for this season.
Speaker 5: It's a really solid start, and it's it's just it's just a jolt of positivity and reinforcement that any young team with a new coach needs and can build off of, because if you have all those new things and you lose a couple games and it's oh and two and oh and three, and you know, it's like, well, what are we doing?
Speaker 1: Is there a culture here?
Speaker 15: Not?
Speaker 5: This Like this win is not going to define this season by any means, but it is what it is. It's a good start, and I think, you know, we should be okay being positive about that without saying we're back in the hunt for the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: If you if you need any more reason to be positive, positive, right, they take a cute I'm positive today.
Speaker 3: H Okay, sixteen to ten, the Patriots winners in Cincinnati, one to zero on the season. After Week one, Matt, let's go inside the locker room and let's listen to the coach, head coach girod Mayo after his first win as an NFL head coach.
Speaker 22: Well, I thought the guys went out there and competed hard. We talked about establishing the run game and being able to stop their run again, making one dimensional.
Speaker 9: H did a good job with that.
Speaker 22: I'll say we still left a lot of plays out there, but we're gonna enjoy this one on the flight home and you know, get ready for next week.
Speaker 9: But very proud. What you know, my message to the players.
Speaker 22: You know, they gave me the gatorade shower and things like that, but you know, without them, I'm nothing, so and I made sure they knew that, like they crossed the white lines. I always talk about empowering the players to go out there and play. I always talk about awareness really being the number one thing, and those guys taking ownership. So you know, all the praise goes to those guys, and they did a great job.
Speaker 6: Waiting for the state.
Speaker 1: What was it like to walk off that field and.
Speaker 22: Locker room within Yeah, the day started off solid, you know, just like any other day. Walking off the field though, really getting in that victory formation, you know, just kind of feel a rush over yourself. And I'm gonna enjoy this one here for the next couple of hours. But you know, truth be told, you know, it's it's, uh, what have you done for me lately? Type of business? So time to turn the page, you know, not trying to run on anyone's parade, but turn the page and get ready for the next game.
Speaker 6: Making those decisions, you know, facing fourth down, maybe thinking you might be down territory, Like how did you just find the stuff flying through your mind?
Speaker 4: Being able to make the decisions?
Speaker 22: It was just part of you know, I've been playing football my entire life, and I was a great Madden player back end of the day. But I, uh, I understand situational football. I would also say our staff understands situational football. And you know, we talked through those things and like I said all week, I have to make the ultimate decision and felt good about the way it operated today.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they came out on fire.
Speaker 22: We challenged those guys everyone's talking about, you know, since he's offense and you know how explosive they are, and they answered the call. Uh up front, started up front, all those defensive linemen. You know, those guys did a good job controlling the line of scrimmage. The second you know, second level players, the LB's they did a good job coming downhill a couple of plays in the past game. And then really our safeties and corners, those guys did a good job covering, so it was a total unit.
Speaker 9: Victorias, You I challenged Rimandre in the spring.
Speaker 22: I said, look, you don't get a lot of love, a lot of hype, but I've always believed that he's one of the best running backs in the league. And you know, when we signed him to the extension, there was no more more happy than me because I know what he's capable of, and he showed that today. He can catch the ball at the backfield, he can run, break tackles and do all those things.
Speaker 9: So, uh, he's he's a great player since.
Speaker 7: January to talk to you about defensive run getting of those two things.
Speaker 6: To know you guys kind of hit that formula.
Speaker 15: What was it like?
Speaker 9: Oh, it was great, It was great. You always come in with the plan.
Speaker 22: You know, they say god last at plans and what Mike Tyson says, y, you know, everyone has a play until you get hit in the mouth. But you know, in the first half we're averaging six point one yards of carry and able to control once again the front and you know, defensively, you know, we did a good job against their run game until the second half. There are a few runs, but you know started up there next next one, he has the next one. It's almost like double dutch, double dutch, like hesitating to get in next one.
Speaker 6: You said, sorry, you said, and we got this.
Speaker 22: You know, I would say the way we were running the ball, I felt pretty confident about that. That was you know, from the from the beginning to the end. Really our offensive line. They did a great job led by David Andrews and you know, Big Mic. Those guys did a great job having Low here as well. Uh, it was good to you know, get him in the game. And they were moving bodies and that's what it's about. And so when I talk about fundamentals, that's part of it. You know, defensively block destruction, offensively opening up gaps, opening it up poles.
Speaker 9: And those guys do that today. Nope, Nope, nope, nope.
Speaker 10: I guess.
Speaker 17: That Robert kraft first win as an owner came here against the Bengals.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna assume he didn't know that unless.
Speaker 6: It was mentioned football.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it it was special.
Speaker 22: It was special, and you know, I just wanna thank you know, the Craft family, Robert, Jonathan, all of them, Danny, all those guys, Josh, just for the opportunity and really for not really, you know, getting in the middle of anything that we do. Football wise, they've pretty much turned the keys over to Elliott and myself and the rest of the staff, and I'm just appreciative of the the opportunity and I'm glad that, you know, we came in here today and represented, uh the crafts in a in a good light.
Speaker 9: What do you think about sorry, say a.
Speaker 8: Quarterback, what did you think of vision?
Speaker 9: It was great, It was great.
Speaker 22: He made plays with his legs, he made plays with his arm, and you know, he just played a He's a tough guy. I'm telling he took some hits in the game. I'm just like, man, get up. But he did everything that we asked him to do in the week and we came out of here with.
Speaker 1: The victory from the game.
Speaker 22: Uh yeah, mister Krafft gave me a ball, so absolutely absolutely keeping that one. And uh and then I also gave Elliot the ball. So I think it's a special special moment.
Speaker 20: Who think of, you know, when it comes to this, first in your family or just people that have helped you.
Speaker 22: Yeah, you know a lot of people talk about how they're self made and things like that, but we've all had people that have helped us along the way.
Speaker 9: And you know, I think I definitely think about my family.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 9: I think about my grandparents. I think about my Pop, Warner.
Speaker 22: Coaches and all the people who instilled not only the ex's and o's on football, but also just how to operate in life. And one thing, you know, you guys would notice about me. I mean, you can write whatever you want to write. I'm pretty much like stoked.
Speaker 9: I'm stoke.
Speaker 22: I try not to get too high. I try not to get too low. And that's always been my mentality, uh, from a from a little kid up until now. That was my first gatorade bath. Yeah, it was cold.
Speaker 9: It was cold.
Speaker 6: It was cold.
Speaker 9: I feel I felt worse for my shoes. I was like, ah, these are done, ladies. First, no bruh.
Speaker 18: Underdogs and all seventeen games.
Speaker 3: I think you're a very popular survivor.
Speaker 9: Uh, Like the bans are a very popular motivation.
Speaker 22: Not at all, not at all. And we you know, we try not to hear anything on the outside. And I told those guys all week, it's all about us in this building. There's no one gonna come in here on a white shining horse and and save the day and I said, look, you guys are here for a reason and it's all we got and this is all we need.
Speaker 6: Do you was the earlier you wanted to ask you? How does it feel winning is a head coach versus winning as a player. How does it feel? Yeah?
Speaker 22: I've talked about my calling a lot, and you know, winning as a winning as a coach is is huge and once again and not for what it does for me, but what it does for those players out there.
Speaker 9: You know, I just can't say enough about about the players.
Speaker 7: In fact, you talked all week about complimentary football and you seem to get it that it's special.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 22: Uh, you know those guys just playing hand in hand and we had a plan. Uh, they knew the plan. It was, you know, articulated well throughout the week and they executed. You know, you could have all the mantras and things that you want, but on game day it all comes down to execution. You can have all the rare eye speeches, it's all about discipline and so those are the things that hopefully that we can continue to build on going forward.
Speaker 6: Condition. How did the condition get.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it showed up and the run game was just like hey, keep going.
Speaker 22: You know, I did talk about this on uh was it Friday, when you know you looked at those other games and conditioning definitely showed up. And I would say, our guys are in good condition coming.
Speaker 6: Up next Sunday.
Speaker 1: Anything to the fans, they should say.
Speaker 19: It back to them.
Speaker 22: Uh, you know for the fans, you know, hopefully they uh they see what we're trying to build and and I talk about it takes time and we're still not where we wanna be, but we're heading in the right direction.
Speaker 6: As in the preseason.
Speaker 9: When you think that, I I'm not sure, you know.
Speaker 22: I ask some friends like how the Ravens and how the Chiefs practice, and uh, how their camp went, and it was like totally you know, total ends of the spectrum. And I would say those were two teams where I was like, man, I'm getting tired here, and that's why I was so heavy on that with our team.
Speaker 9: I I'm I'm not sure that to answer.
Speaker 6: That question, Rob that you were where they kick the ball back.
Speaker 22: To Yeah, I mean there comes a point in time where they know we're gonna run it. We know we're gonna run it, and all the fans know that we're gonna run it and we're gonna have to pick up four yards and that's the challenge that I always uh offer those guys. And look, it's really man on man in those instances. It has nothing to do really with x's and o's. It's about you know, dominating the player across from me, and and those guys did that.
Speaker 9: Defensively. Y, you keep doing that.
Speaker 6: But what other emotions.
Speaker 22: Oh, I'm absolutely happy. I don't want I don't want you to take you know, this whole stoeism. That's being unhappy. That's not what I'm saying. I I'm definitely happy to get out of here with the win and happy for the players in the organization.
Speaker 11: Passing game for the BENGALSSSES.
Speaker 6: But he's under six yards per ten. I don't think he.
Speaker 9: Really hit Downie until late Yeah.
Speaker 22: Uh, you know, we just kept it moving. We ran a bunch of different coverages, a bunch of different fronts. Uh, and then there in the second half there were a lot more you know, quick passes. They were trying to get him in a rhythm. That's how that's how I felt, that's how I was seeing the game. And you know, he had a couple of big plays. But we said, look, if we win the turnover battle, we don't give up big plays. I will be okay, make these guys drive it, and that's what that's what we did. Thanks, guys, How do you not feel good for Gerard Mayo?
Speaker 4: Huh?
Speaker 3: Congratulations man, that was great.
Speaker 1: You got your first win. That's huge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, game baal, he said. He said he gave a game ball to Elliott Wolfe.
Speaker 1: I like to hear that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was refreshing to see and refreshing to hear.
Speaker 1: It's fun to see a guy who's new to it.
Speaker 5: I mean we saw last aw coach who's been there, done it all in the league, and now you've seen it all, you know, seeing a new guy and what it's like to you know, finally get that first one, which is a nice thing to check off. But as I'm sure Jerrod will tell you, like, this should just be the start, and it's good to get this one out of the way, but now it really begins, you know, right.
Speaker 3: Coach who uses the word stoicism in his postgame press conference, didn't usually hear that too much. I thought it was interesting to hear him talk about also challenging Ramondre Stevenson, and I think that that was all part of the when they re signed Remandre. Okay, we're gonna give you the money here, but it's not without you know, some expectations. We we need to have met here. And certainly after one week he answered the challenge, would you say.
Speaker 1: Mike, I would definitely say so.
Speaker 5: You know, I just you hope that they can continue to round out though, because as we've kind of hinted at, this is, you know, this isn't gonna fly for Ramandrey. They you know, kind of random into the ground the last couple of years, and last year he got hurt, and you know, so I just would like to see Antonio Gibson continue to ascend and you know, take a little bit of that load off of his plate so that Stevens is able to just be effective each time he carries the ball, rather than you know, we get to the end of the game, this is when we want to run to win. Let's make sure we have Remandre fresh and ready.
Speaker 1: And I would say, also, you know, we talk a lot about well, no one really saw this coming. You know, the Bengals are Super Bowl contender, and people didn't. So the one thing that a lot of people talked about this week was the Bengals thirty first rated run defense coming into the you know, coming off of last season, they really didn't do a whole lot personnel wise to address it. We had Jeff Hopson on in the pregame show and that's the first thing out of his back was can the Bengals stop the run? They know the Patriots want to run the ball, and the answer was no, they couldn't stop the run. That's why the Patriots won the game.
Speaker 3: Girod said it towards the end, they knew we were going to run. We knew we were going to run. Having said that, we were surprised, Mike, and maybe you were just intimating a little bit towards that that Ramandre received as many carries in as many touches as he did, that there wasn't maybe more of an effort to try to keep him fresh.
Speaker 6: Not really.
Speaker 1: I mean, I based on how Antonio jas ran.
Speaker 5: I think based on what I saw from Antonio Gibson, which was a clear difference in you know, what they were able to accomplish.
Speaker 1: That's another reason why I give the credit to Stevenson more than the line.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think that's to me is uh, you got to lean on what you got, and at this point in the game, at the end of the game, I you know that that was what they had, so to go with him, And I'm just glad he was able to come through. We've seen a couple times in his career having mistakes in situations like that. I mean, I don't want to bring up the Raiders game a couple years ago, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And you know with this the Stevenson you know the Stevenson game. You know, twenty five is a big number for carries, but how many carries did he have in the last three minutes? Seven? You know, he probably carried the ball in the last game six seven, eight plays of the game. Whatever it was. So Mike says it all the time. You know, you throw to to get the lead, you run to win, throw, throw to score, run to win. Now they did not in the pregame show. I'm sorry, sorry, a little quick in mind. Yeah, and I would say that that's kind of you know, that's the only way they can play. Like I said to you, they're throwing too much, like they every time they dropped back. I thought it was on the verge of disaster. Jacoby Brissett amazing but he amazingly avoided I don't know, four sacks today just by like squirting around the pocket, moving up, moving around, getting out of the pocket, throwing it away. I think they were skirting, skirting with danger all all second half, and as long as they had the lead, there was no need to do that. Just keep running. To rmandre Stevens, speaking.
Speaker 3: Of hyperbole web radio at Patriots dot Com, Javier asks, do we have an O line for real?
Speaker 23: Uh?
Speaker 1: Check back in a few weeks.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just don't like.
Speaker 6: I don't. I just can't.
Speaker 1: I guess I can't be happy. No, I have a problem.
Speaker 3: Uh continue with the emails. Tony from Canada. I'm happy with the win, especially when it comes to the play the offensive and defensive line. But let's face it, the biggest reason we won was the turnovers. I don't think enough as being said about the fact that we won because we didn't turn over the ball whereas the Bengals did. I don't know, isn't that kind of enough?
Speaker 1: People have talked about that the Bengals handed your game.
Speaker 3: Wasn't that the recipe for the victory? If you had none, they had some.
Speaker 1: And the reason why you had none is you played better than the Bengals and you forced turn well, you forced both turnovers, right one of the collegs. I would say, yeah, he said, like I would say the first turnover is one thousand percent on the Bengals. Like I know that Dougger makes a nice play to swat the ball out, But why is the guy reaching the ball out up, you know, up in the air, Like what was he what was.
Speaker 6: He trying to do?
Speaker 1: Weaving through traffic? Like you have the first, you have the first down. The worst that's going to happen here is first and goal from like the two. Now, I think there was virtually no chance he's not getting in the end zone. He's got a full head of steam going straight to the goal line. Even if someone meets him, he's going to go in the end zone. Just tuck the ball away and don't fumble. And the guy puts it out up above his head I think at one point or at least even with his his head. And then you know, hey, once in a while you get a break. The ball bounces right up. Look at this, the ball is at his face. When when Duggert kicks it out and it goes right to Marcus Jones, like this could be a this could be a touchdown for the bet. He did not once. He did it twice by the way, spike it right, you know. And there's a couple of Bengals there too, could have gone to them and went right to Marcus Jones.
Speaker 3: Eight five.
Speaker 1: This is what happens when you play better than the other team for sixty minutes, you get that break.
Speaker 3: Eighty five to five. Pats five hundred is a number. Camp from North Carolina is next cam here on the Patriots postgame show.
Speaker 19: Hello, Hey guys, it's that ex quick question.
Speaker 24: I'm kind of missed your first forty minutes of the show, so I'm sorry. I know, I know, I was driving home from from the bar watching it, just getting back, but I was just wanted to see if you could kind of talk about Christian Gonzalez a little bit, and uh, I saw that, at least from what I saw, he kind of put the clams down on h on Jamar Chase And was he one on one with him all day? Is that something where he had help? I noticed, like that twenty eight yard reception. I believe was not on Christian Gonzales. So I just kind of wanted to see if you guys could kind of talk a little bit about the coverage that Christian Gonzalez had on Jamar Chase.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the call, Kim Mike to me, and I'm not Evan Lazar or play one on TV. But it certainly looked on the long pass to Chase that was against June, didn't it in the area.
Speaker 1: Need to check the film on that, Matt, go back to the film that's for Cam.
Speaker 3: Was that cover zero or was it cover three?
Speaker 5: Well, probably probably more cover three if it's don but but you know, cover I think that's I mean, you got to go back and look at.
Speaker 6: Some of it.
Speaker 5: But I don't think that there were a lot of cases where it was manned man coverage and he gets dusted, you know.
Speaker 1: I think it was more.
Speaker 5: But the game plan was, which was having multiple guys deep and you know, playing cover four sometimes, which is the cornerback dropping out into a quarterzone and you know, playing with things in front of you, so that I don't think that they really truly tested him. But I think this is all going to change, you know, pretty quickly week with other you know Week two, Week three, other matchups coming out.
Speaker 1: And I would just add I agree with what Mike and Matchiff said about the situation, but at the same time, I can't then give one guy credit for putting the shackles on something. First of all, Jamar Chase was not ready to play an NFL game today. Not only he did nothing all summer, he had food poisoning chot. He had six catches on six targets for sixty two yards. You did not put the shackles on him in any way, shape or form. And we just we just got finished talking. That might broke down a lot of the quarter coverage that they used. So when he does catch a pass, you don't give credit to the guy, but when he does give a pass, you say, well, they're in zone. Doesn't work that way. They he did not like lock up with him. I thought he was fine. I thought there was nothing I saw from Gonzalez today that that worried me. But there was some third down throws to Chase that he was able to get first downs on.
Speaker 3: And here's the one that I saw that I didn't love. Now, maybe Burrow on the on the third down play where Burr looks right at him. It's one on one and there's a soft cushion that Gonzales was giving up. I don't know if he comes up and tries to press that a little bit, does that go against the game plan? Meaning we'll give up the first down here? We just don't want to give up a big play that was really the only one. And I haven't had a chance to watch the tape yet.
Speaker 1: And I would just say that watching just watching the big play, the twenty eight yarder, it looked to me like the two safeties were responsible for that. Peppers and Duggar were the ones that were closest to the ball, and they probably should have been a little bit closer. Here Gonzalez is way down here, trailing. He's probably in quarters. Just like Mike said, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, am I you know, just looking at the TV copy here, I mean, it just it looks like a really good play. It looks like they're in cover two. They got two deep safeties and he hits them right in between the two of the s.
Speaker 1: And by the way, you know a lot of quarterbacks, a lot of quarterbacks don't do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I mean that's you know, maybe it's a play where where you give Joe Burrow a little credit. I thought on that play, Matt, you were mentioning with Gonzals, I just that was a blitz by the Patriots, and Burrow made the right read and got it out Quack. And you know that's that's the thing with Look, if we're gonna blitz Christ, you just can't miss the tackle.
Speaker 1: That's the only thing. Now, he got the first down on that anyway, But there were a couple of those catches that were a little short of the sticks that I thought he was able to score through the Gonzales tackle. Maybe that's what Speed was talking about when he disagreed with me, saying that there was a lot of good tackling in the game. I thought, for a week one game, usually you see a mess of mistackles. I didn't see a lot of egregious mistackles today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't web Brady with Patriots dot Com Steve from Orlando going at me, so good hustle there, Happy with the game. But are we gonna have to see Matt's beer feet all season? I guess on camera you can see the flip flops. We're gonna try to work on that. We're gonna work on that ste you appreciate the heads up on that frozen after the effort putting some socks on it.
Speaker 5: I feel like I needed like Mittens there in our studio where he watched the game where it was subarctic.
Speaker 3: He's just he's like at the beach, like no shoes on, you know, short Grammy Paul had his his shawl on today. Yeah, Tamara's wrapped up in like a winner blanket. Hey, guys, Dan from Boston here. Some people saying today's performance shows why it's good that Drake is sitting due to Jacoby getting hit, while others are saying if Drake was in there, the offense would have been a lot better. Where do you guys stand on that. I'll guess I'll go first and say today was exhibit A why Jacoby Brissett was the starting quarterback.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's the right way to put it.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, you saw some of the plays where it seemed like Jacoby saw Blitz coming and you know was able to I think want at least to unload it off to Hooper, but I don't know what it would have looked like. And I'm not going to play that game like I think this is the right decision. It was the right decision to start Jacoby Brissett this season, and you know, we'll see how it goes over the next few weeks. But like you said, Matt, I think this is the kind of game where he didn't kill us. He didn't lose the game. He kept it manageable and made enough throws that the Patriots got to win.
Speaker 3: It is what you're hoping for from him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as long as we're going fantasy land, I'm going to say they would have scored forty points today had Drift shoot if only I know that, Like seriously, like, how can I don't know how you can really strongly one way or another answer that question without knowing what would have happened. It's an impossible variable.
Speaker 3: And so with that, now, Matt, let's go inside the locker room and let's listen into Jacobi Prissette's press conference after the Patriots sixteen to ten winning Cincinnati today.
Speaker 25: Work that we put in, obviously, the plan on both sides of the ball and then special teams was was executed to what we what we thought it was going to be sixty minute football game. You know, they obviously had a good plan on their side of the ball. But you know today we executed it a little bit better.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 25: Yeah, you know, like I said earlier in the week, everybody's talking about out the line, and you know, I mean we know in this room how confident we are in that group.
Speaker 6: Uh you know, I don't know. I don't have the statue, but I don't know how many yards you rush for? Uh zero sacks?
Speaker 25: I think versus versus you know, two Pro Bowl d n s and uh good interior pass rush, you know, and and Lou who does so much on on defense, and you know, I might have so off to that old line and and and what Scott did with those guys, and you know, I know they're hungry to get back out there and do it again next week.
Speaker 6: But uh, you know, I'm I'm super proud of those guys. Oh there we go.
Speaker 1: Especially Motion recognized the band.
Speaker 25: Because yeah, for sure, Uh you know, Uh, And I think AVP did a good job of of playing against Lou so much, you know when he was in Cleveland, you know, understanding his tendencies and things like that. You line up in certain formation, it's like, you know, it simplifies the game. And and say thres things like that, and obviously giving me the opportunity to pick up uh you know, plays with my legs and you know, the old line doing a good job of get creating rush lanes for me.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 25: So Uh, I thought we had a good plan with those things. And you know, obviously wanna complete uh complete a couple more passes, but I thought we had we did a good job with that.
Speaker 6: The game is what do you say?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 25: Excited man? It's it's hard to win in this league. You know, he played in this league. He understands how hard it is to win on his league on the road versus a good opponent.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 25: He was you know, what's the word, uh, static and elated, Uh any any word you can think of that means overjoyed. You know when he should be. You know it's his first one, uh, you know, and he got us ready to go. Uh you know, not only this week, but you know, dating back to OTAs. You know, it all built up for this moment right here. Uh, you know, to to put all our work on display, you know, and we did a good job of doing that this week.
Speaker 1: How validated today?
Speaker 25: Yeah, you know, and I think we got to a certain point in the game, and you know, we said it before the game, it's like it's gonna be a certain point in the.
Speaker 6: Game where we're just gonna overpower them.
Speaker 25: You know, we're gonna just out condition them and and and do all the little things right more than them because of our all the work that we put in. And I think that was on display, you know, everybody in the stands and we were running the ball at the end of the game, and we still get first down after first down. Uh, you know that we're there in past the situation in our defense, it's it's hunting down a quarterback and and taking away their best players and.
Speaker 6: And limiting a really good quarterback.
Speaker 25: You know, once you do that, you know that that's the identity we want to create, you know, and I think we did that. We did that a good job of establishing that on one. One game this week.
Speaker 3: Was gonna come to a point what's your points?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 6: For sure?
Speaker 25: You know we pick up a big third down, Uh, you know when and we get back into our big, big, big personnel and they see big Lady and coming on the field and they know we're about to run away throwing the ball out of that and you know, the the runs didn't change, you know, and and you know, we went downhill and Madre was like, man, just give me the ball, let me run downhill. And and AVP did a good job and I think he does a really good job of trusting us out there, you know. And uh, we talked about communication and one of the main things was, you know, being honest out there. And you know when Madre is like, I don't want to run outside zone them, I want to run downhill, and that's what we did, you know. And you know, obviously some of the earlier in the game, the outside zone stuff was working. Then we would hit them downhill and you know, they haven't seen those looks and and they're in they're gashing them.
Speaker 6: Defense, the offense, the defense there.
Speaker 25: Yeah, yeah, I mean it was just what our game plan was was, you know, establish the line of scrimmage, run the ball, stop the run, take away their big players, you know when and you know, keep convert converting third down still on the field, and score points when we get down there in the red zone. And I think, what uh we did that, you know when uh, you know, obviously gotta get a little better at the the sudden change part of the game. You know we after the half and and starting a little faster after the half. But you know, I think our defense did a great job. You know, I think it got to to the second quarter before they got a first down. I think, and uh, you know we do that. Man, We're gonna be all right, you know, And and hass all to our defense. They did a did a hell of the job. And uh, I know those guys are I know the work that they put in this all season as well. So you know, I'm just super proud for the guy. I'm super having for him.
Speaker 15: Jon said, I think he told.
Speaker 19: You don't get a lot of attention one of the better backs, and you've been around a lovely Bunny backs.
Speaker 6: We really want analys. Yeah, how good do you think?
Speaker 25: Uh yeah, I I don't wanna say the sky's the roof, cause that'll put a limit on it.
Speaker 6: Uh, but you know, I it was.
Speaker 25: It was definitely fun turning around and hand him to the ball and like seeing the patients that he runs with, the aggression he runs with, you know how fast he was he was pulling away from DB's that had angles on him, and you know, it's just such a smart back, you know, I'm excited to see, you know, how this progresses.
Speaker 6: Uh, you know in this offense. Uh man, it was just a lot of fun to watch him play. You know, what you did against.
Speaker 1: Washington for Washington against the Jets and the Rams.
Speaker 6: Last year kind of continued that year for you though.
Speaker 1: You know, when you're a you're all about the team.
Speaker 6: Was a circle of light bulb for you to to make the start at Patriot.
Speaker 1: Quarterback first since two thousand.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 25: Man, I think I cried three times before the game. Uh A cry when I got to the stadium, cry when I uh Mayo came up to me and uh before the game and he like started laughing, and he's like, man, you're about to You're about to win us this game.
Speaker 6: You're about to ball out.
Speaker 25: And you know, I had never heard that from a coach, you know what I mean, And that meant a lot to me. And then I cried when I got out there and they we're going out there on offense. But you know, my emotions were definitely high, you know what I mean. It's definitely a moment that you know, I just can't take it for granted. You know, you know, these things don't come by often.
Speaker 6: Uh. And like I said, I don't take it for granted. Question twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: There was that shot of you after you scored it coming off the sidelight having.
Speaker 6: The football to the coach. Did they I didn't score? Yeah? Uh I kept that one.
Speaker 25: Uh.
Speaker 6: Mayo got a game ball though, for sure. Uh.
Speaker 25: You know, his first one, uh, which he deserved. Like I said, like I don't think people understand I. I I think it is like the plan that he put in place with us this week, you know, you know, and the work that he you know, foresaw for us to get to this point, you know, like like nobody believed in us, you know. I mean, he just kept on preaching like you know, the people in this room that were ones that matter, you know, and that came to fruition, you know, Like I said, coming on the Rover's a good team week one, new head coach, new office coordinator, new defensive coordinator, all these things that stacked up against us, and you know, and none of that mattered once we got between those white lines, you know, and once we got on that plane to come here, you know, the the vision was clear, you know, and the communication was clear, and we came and executed that plane.
Speaker 9: Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you. They have a good way.
Speaker 3: Jacobe Brissette, quarterback one who helped the Patriots to their first one of the year, sixteen to ten victors in Cincinnati. We're gonna take a break. The Patriots postgame show is presented by Draft Kings, and don't forget stay tuned because you'll hear more about Draft Kings and all this. You are for throughout the show. Draft Kings, the crowd as yours. We'll be back right after this.
Speaker 15: Without good blocking, your team's not going anywhere. Cisco blocks cyber attacks for customers around the world, including the entire Fortune one hundred and the NFL because when the game is on the line, and it's always on the line, the NFL relies on Cisco.
Speaker 7: It ain't my dad's razor dot hey watch, it's from gelett Lapse. This green bar releases trapped hairs from my face. Game change well a flex This contours to it so the five blades can get virtually every hair in one stroke for the ultimate to let shaving experience.
Speaker 4: The best to me I can get is to let Lapse.
Speaker 16: By the time this Patriots fan is finished drinking his Pepsi. You'll be fifteen seconds closer to game time. Patriots watching better with Pepsi. Without good blocking, your team's not going anywhere. Cisco blocks cyber attacks for customers around the world, including the entire Fortune one hundred and the NFL, because when the game is on the line, and it's always on the line, the NFL relies on Cisco.
Speaker 7: It ain't my dad's razor dot, hey watch, it's from Gelette lapse. This green bar releases trapped hairs from my face. Game change well a flex This contours to it so the five blades can get virtually every hair in one stroke for the ultimate to let shaving experience.
Speaker 4: The best of me I can get is to let lapse.
Speaker 16: By the time this Patriots fan is finished drinking his pepsi, you'll be fifteen seconds closer to game time. Patriots watching better with pepsi.
Speaker 17: You've got to watch your NFL team every Sunday, and Verizon's got you covered for all your team's out of market games every Sunday afternoon. Come on from kickoff to sign off, from first downs and touchdowns, oh yea, to turnovers no and overturn plays.
Speaker 8: After review, the pass was incomplete?
Speaker 1: Nice I know this season?
Speaker 17: Win every Sunday with Verizon, Get a great deal on NFL Sunday ticket from YouTube and YouTube TV, and a new phone excludes digital only games.
Speaker 6: Terms and embargo's apply.
Speaker 18: When someone accidentally threw away the school play costumes, oh No, replacements were shipped with FedEx and with picture proof of delivery, everyone could focus on the perfect opening night FedEx. Where now mean's next for residential delivery only.
Speaker 17: You've got to watch your NFL team every Sunday, and Verizon's got you covered for all your team's out of market games every Sunday afternoon. Come on from kickoff to sign off, from first downs and touchdowns ye, to turnovers no, and overturn plays.
Speaker 8: After review, the pass was incomplete. Nice I don't this season?
Speaker 17: Win every Sunday with Verizon, Get a great deal on NFL Sunday ticket from YouTube and YouTube TV, and a new phone excludes digital only games. Turns in, embargo's apply.
Speaker 18: When someone accidentally threw away the school play costumes, oh no. Replacements were shipped with FedEx and with picture proof of delivery, everyone could focus on the perfect opening night FedEx. Where now it's next for residential delivery only.
Speaker 2: Join the conversation by calling the eighth Ticket hotline at eighty five Patch five hundred, or email the show at web radio at Patriots dot com live from our studios inside you let's name and then here's Matt Smith.
Speaker 3: And we are back with the Patriots Postgame Show presented by Draft Kings. We will get back to the fall line here in a second, but before we do, Uh, Mike, you have the stat of the game and that's sponsored by Oh, it's not sponsored by We should let Murray Cole know that so that we could get watch it for the stat of the game. But anyway, I don't know, treats pleased to the stat of the game.
Speaker 1: Look at the new host Funny's in the middle of the show. They are out of unscripted funnies.
Speaker 5: Humor aloud, but I don't know when Jaws talk. I don't know if this is a stat of the game, but I just thought it was interesting. Take you guys back eight years ago to September twenty second, twenty sixteen, which was the last time.
Speaker 1: That Jacoby won a game for the start for the Patriots.
Speaker 5: How many days has it been, Paul since Jacoby were set in between two starts winning for the Patriots.
Speaker 1: Was that that was the last time he started a game for the Patriots. You said started or won a game, because I can win another game for the Patriots. He lost the next week when he Spoffalo.
Speaker 5: Al Right, so we'll just say win a game. That was the last time he won a game against Houston. And you want to take a guess how many days it's been in between the Patriots and start victory.
Speaker 1: You know, me and Matho nine and eight asked me a math I asked Siri, I do it, and my had I promm Siri.
Speaker 5: But just I'm sure that's probably a number that will pop up at some point. I don't know if that's a record for you know, between two victories one time between drinks two thousand, I mean almost three thousand days in between victories there for Jacobi Prisett.
Speaker 3: With web radio at Patriots dot com is our address, and Cameron writes in to say, minus the twenty eight yard catch five for thirty four yards to a top five receiver in the league is in a way, shape or form a clamp job. Whether it was Gonzo or team effort, they kept him under control, but.
Speaker 1: The point is, you can't credit Gonzo if you don't discredit Gonzo when he gives up catches, Like you can't say he clamped them on all the plays that didn't go to Jamar Chase, but all the catches that he did have he wasn't involved in. Like, that's all I'm saying. If you want to say he played a man to man the whole game and get up six for sixty two, I'd say that's a good job by Christian Gonzales.
Speaker 3: But I don't think that.
Speaker 1: But people are saying he didn't cover him on the catches, right. That's the thing that I'm pushing back on some of the catches he was involved in.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just think I'd like to see Gonzales show up a little bit more. That's all I thought. I thought he was fine today, Like people think that he saw us Gardner, He's not right, very fair.
Speaker 3: Eight five to five Pats five hundred the number. Dale in Iowa, You're next on the Patriots postgame show. Hello, Dale, going once, Matt.
Speaker 1: It's not about the money, Dale, uh.
Speaker 3: Todd from Garner, North Carolina. Good afternoon, PU postgame crew. I really liked our fight and not giving in once a Bengals started to move the ball. Yes, we're not filled. The stars are most likely won't be over five hundred. But this makes me feel glad that the season started. Not saying that May is Andrew Luck, but I believe that if Luck had an O line, he may still be in the league. It feels right to have Jacoby starting behind the line who's in the developmental stage, not a football analyst here just feels right. Nice show because it wasn't really a question here. I see a lot of comments. Sometimes I maybe jump the gun on some of these comments.
Speaker 1: For some of the the emails want the emails want to get there, They want to get their opinions across took and this is one you know, I I you know, not necessarily embracing it, but like you know, you guys might say that I tend to be the I don't know, pessimistic one of the panel. Right, So I think today's day, I say today's a day. Well, there's no room for any of that. Ye Like, I'm not telling you that this means they're going to the playoffs. I'm not telling you this means they're even going to compete for the playoffs. I'm telling you, for one day, on the first day of the Drod Mao era, they played really, really well and they deserve to win against a good football team. Yeah, what's that pile? I mean, no pessimism.
Speaker 5: I know it's we want to jump to like what's the big picture thing? But you know, can we just be happy in this moment for one, especially especially the last couple of years with you know how many of those wins just they just sucked your life for us out of you watching them, you know, score zero points and you know, not to say that this was really all that much better, but it just felt like the team came to play today, they were ready, they were prepared, they had a game plan, They didn't kill themselves, and they deserve credit.
Speaker 3: I think one of the things that both the head coach said and the quarterback said, those are the press conferences that we were able to hear. They both talked about the fact when they wanted to run the ball, when they knew they wanted to run, when Cincinnati who they wanted to run, and Paul, you and I had a conversation through the years about that it doesn't matter, you know, when you call yourself a good running team. If you can't line up on third and one and get the one, then you're not a really good running team. I don't know if Cincinnati's rush defense has anything to do with this, but it's encouraging to me that they emphasized the run and they ran.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree with that. And the one that really impressed me was, you know, it's like two minutes and change left to whatever two point fifteen left when they took over for the last possession. I don't care if it's the worst run defense in the history of football. Right now, you know everybody is stacking the box, they're not throwing the ball. If you can run in that situation, then you're a good running football team. Today the Patriots were a good running football team. I've been skeptical all summer because I haven't seen it. Gerrod Mayo keeps saying he likes the way they ran the ball. Gerrod Mayo was right. I was wrong because today when it counted, they ran the ball well, and they most importantly, most impressively is Matt's thing. When the other team knew they were running at the end of the game, they still ran it and they got those first downs to close out the game, and to me, that's.
Speaker 3: A mark of a good running team.
Speaker 5: Mike, Yes, absolutely, absolutely right.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is Zach from New Hampshire writing in and saying I saw Peppers fired up on the sideline after the final first down to Ica game. Do you guys think that the defense finally being able to rely on the offense to finish a game for them instead of letting a great defensive every be wasted is a huge morale boost for the defensive unit. I just think quibble a little bit with the tone of that question. Yeah, where he's coming from.
Speaker 5: I see where he's coming from, because I think the defense will just say, just don't turn the ball over, you know, just give us a chance to do our thing. Just don't have us going out there and we're giving up points when we're not even out there.
Speaker 1: And I think that's that's what happened today.
Speaker 5: They were able to, you know, avoid the big turnovers, and I think the defense was I mean, it sounded like the whole locker room was really you know, fired up after the win.
Speaker 1: I think they're playing the underdog car so we didn't mention, you know, maybe it was just interesting to me, but I thought the takeaway from Jacoby Brissett's press conference was when he talked about Stevenson, saying how he just said, I don't want to run any more of those zone plays. I just want to run gap, I just want to run pow. I want to I want to like and that to me again, I don't pretend to be an All twenty two guy. I bristle at the All twenty two guys, but I watch I watched Stevenson, and I don't necessarily see that guy that wants to run Laterally, I don't think he wants to go parallel to the line of scrimmage, put his foot in the ground and make his cut. He's not like the one. He's a power guy, and I think he wants to get going north and south. Now. He made some really nice runs, the one that I talked about earlier in the show at the end where he makes the two guys in the backfield miss with a little shimmy to the side. That was really shifty. But I think he's going to make his living running between the tackles, collering and then breaking tackles and getting into the clear. And I'm not surprised to hear him say he didn't want to run any more of those zones.
Speaker 3: And he looks to me like if I could steal one here. I'm not saying he's as good. When this guy was good, he was really good. I don't like it when he's Leveon Bell back there. Leveon Bell used to all the time, used to wait, used to be patient, patient, patient, and then hit the hole. I don't think that plays to Remandre's strengths when he does that.
Speaker 1: That's my point.
Speaker 3: He looks like water.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of guys that are very comfortable in that, you know, with that style. And you know the Broncos did it for years with Mike Shanahan. Yes, you know, they always you know Orlandis Gary and Mike Anderson and those guys, you know, Terrell Davis obviously the but they had that style where they could sort of pick and choose and put the foot down and then cut it up in the gap and increase it. I don't think that's that Stevenson's style.
Speaker 3: Okay, one for you here, Paul. This is comes from Cameron. I'm not he says, Paul, I'm not picking choosing on the catches he gave up and the catches he didn't. I'll ask how many catches did he give up? You seem like he gave up a ton of yards elsewhere. I didn't see it.
Speaker 1: I didn't say he gave up any yards, right, I hear what you're saying, Paul. I'm not saying he gave up yards. I'm saying you can't credit him only for the plays that didn't go to Jamar Chase and then say that they were in zone on the plays that did go to Jamarch. You know, like, that's all I'm saying. But six for sixty two. Anybody would sign up against Jamar Chase if you told me before the game T Higgins isn't gonna play and you're gonna allow six for sixty two for Chase take I actually would have said, under normal circumstances, that's unbelievable. Today, I would have said, I don't see Chase catching six passes. But what happened is the Bengals got in trouble and had to play Chase more than they probably thought they were going to, right, and he stayed in the game. But six for sixty two for an all pro, that's fine, But just don't tell me that he locked him up, Like, that's all I'm saying. There's a difference between like comparing him to Dion Sanders and saying six for sixty two is not bad against Jamar Chase eighty.
Speaker 3: Five to five, Pats five hundred of the number. Here in my Stacy James voice, we have time for one more call and let's go out west to Kevin in San Francisco. Kevin, you're next on the Patriots post game show.
Speaker 23: What do you got hey, guys? How we doing?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 4: Are you so?
Speaker 23: I was out at my local Paths bar here in Francisco, and pretty good crowd considering, you know, the state of the team. Not like the old days, but pretty good crowd. And what was interesting was at the end of the game when they were up sixteen and ten and the Bengals got the ball back to a man and a woman in that bar, everyone was like, great, we won, and I'm like, what are you talking about. It's like, well, if we hold on.
Speaker 12: A win, we win.
Speaker 23: If the Bengals go down and score and we lose by one point, it reinforces the point that you can't be having your quarterback throw for one hundred and twenty one yards and beat out of be a good recipe for moving forward with this team. So anyway, I just found it. I found it very interesting that people were like, either way.
Speaker 4: We win.
Speaker 3: Thanks So, Kevin, that's kind of an interesting comment.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I don't Yeah, I would have just been, you know, disappointed with a loss.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just think this, especially if they lost on a last if the Bengals took the ball in the last three minutes, went down in one seventeen sixteen, that would have been that would have been a gutting loss.
Speaker 3: All right, We're getting ready to wrap things up here in a second, so we're gonna go around the horn here the Patriots one to zero. After beating the Bengals in Cincinnati sixteen to ten, they come home next week for their home opener against the Seattle Seapuppies, who right now are in a dog fight with the Denver Broncos. Denver on the road in Seattle, leading by a point ten to nine, is the second quarter is ticking down.
Speaker 1: A couple of two run homers by the Broncos have given them the league.
Speaker 3: Initial thoughts when you look at the game for the home opener, Mike, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Dk metcalf I think is my first initial thought.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's a you know, an excellent receiver.
Speaker 5: He's really big, he's fast, he gets down the field, so you know, all the people wanting to see a little bit more out of Christian Gonzalez or more of him, I think it'll be a good opportunity to see that, and just generally Gino Smith, you know is as you can see, they're struggling a little bit today to put up points. So I don't know, I think it's another opportunity for the Patriots.
Speaker 1: That's my initial I think it's a great opportunity. In the home opener, Seattle was in you know, full disclosure, Seattle was the one game I had in the first eight that I thought the Patriots would have a chance to win. They have already exceeded that with the win today. But I don't know enough about the Seahawks. I know they have a lot of young guys, get it. No, no, I won't look at any tape, but I don't know enough about their personnel. They've really turned it over in recent years. They have a whole new coach and system. So I'll you know, be looking forward to learning a little bit more about the season.
Speaker 3: So I want to reiterate what you just said there, Paul. I know your shows have circled the Sea Puppies game on the calendar as well. This is maybe the only one of the first however many that you're gonna get that you we see having a chance to win. Yeah, I felt like they were going to be one and eight going to London or whatever. The amount of games was London and Seattle was the game I had targeted.
Speaker 1: So now this is this is big. This is a you know, big chance to get up, you know, get off to a two and oh start. I think you have it all right in front of You have a team that's got to go three thousand miles and play on the East Coast at one one o'clock. You know, some people think that's a big deal. I don't know what Seattle's history is in that situation, but Patriots have I think a huge opportunity to get out of the gate too. And oh yeah, just a couple of other things i'd point out.
Speaker 5: Mike McDonald, new head coach, was the defensive coordinator at the Ravens last year. You know, known for a lot of Patriots style defensive schemes, spinning the dial, people walking around, who's coming, who's going, you don't know. So that'll definitely be something for Jacoby Brissett and the offensive line to figure out. A couple other pieces though, you know, Jackson Smith Nijigba from Ohio State was you know, pretty highly regarded as well as think Tyra Lockett Saill And just to.
Speaker 1: Let everybody know, this Broncos game, the Broncos have the lead. They've done next to nothing on offense. They have eight of their points on defense, they had to pick three early in the game and two safeties that they've cost. So, you know, to Mike's point about Mike McDonald, he's a guy known to spin the dial a little bit. I'm sure he's in the head of rookie bow Nix right now.
Speaker 3: Well, as we wrap things up, let's wrap it up with a four letter word, hope. We saw hope today in Cincinnati, folks, and that's a good thing. It's a good thing to walk away with a win in Week one. The Patriots beat the Bengals sixteen to ten. In Week one, they're one to zero in the season. They will return to Jillette Stadium next week to take on the Seattle Seahawks. This has been The Patriot's postgame show, presented by DraftKings four, Chris Judge and Josh Davis on the video side, for Matt Morell and Matt Lapan on the other side of the glass, for Mike do So, and for Paul Pirello. I'm Matt Smith. Thanks everybody, once again your final score from Cincinnati. The Patriot sixteen the Bengals ten. Have a great week, everybody.
Speaker 4: Thank you for downloading this podcast.
Speaker 15: Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen.
Speaker 4: Like the show, please rate and review us.
Speaker 15: Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us.
Speaker 5: Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.