Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy.
Speaker 3: Central is America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 1: This is the Daily Joke with your.
Speaker 4: Host Jordan Cleford.
Speaker 5: George, we got so much to talk about. Trump's transition continues, Fox News invades the Pentagon, and Joe Biden passes the baton to a same generation of leadership. So let's get into another installment of Trump two point zero coming for the White House.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna comedy.
Speaker 5: The peaceful transfer of power is one of the most cherished features of America and democracy, a hollo tradition that extends all the way from seventeen ninety six to twenty sixteen YadA, YadA, YadA.
Speaker 2: And continues to this day and today.
Speaker 5: The current president and the future president agreed to set aside differences and make nice for the cameras.
Speaker 1: With the President elect in the former president, thank you be wrong for the regulation.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and I'm looking forward to having, like we said, a smooth transition to everything.
Speaker 1: We can make sure you're accommodated what you need. We're gonna get a chance to talk well some out today. It's a good welcome.
Speaker 6: We Jady, thank you very much. And politics is tough, and it's in many cases not a very nice world. But it is a nice world today and I appreciate it very much. A transition that's so smooth, it'll be as smooth as it can get.
Speaker 5: Well, that's a man who appreciates a smooth transition of power, as long as it says transitioning towards him. If it's transitioning away from him, there's gonna be some January sixth in. But if it's towards him, smooth, I mean, they did both try to hang Mike Pence just out of tradition, but other than that, it was very cordial. Perhaps too cordial, Joe Biden, you spent the whole campaign calling him a fascist threat to democracy. It's a little weird to now be like, well, give us a golf you need any help, mister Hitler tutelou Hey, you know, maybe this respectful meeting at the White House is a sign that Donald Trump is maturing. I really think we should give him, no, no, no, I really think we should. We should give him a chance to make some responsible decisions from this point forward.
Speaker 7: Breaking news, President elect Trump has named former Congresswoman Tulci Gabbard is his pick for a Director of National Intelligence.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's terrifying, but we're warming up here. How about from this point forward, Responsible.
Speaker 7: Donald Trump has nominated his pick for attorney General, and that is Florida Congressman Matt Gates. This is definitely a pick that will raise some eyebrows on Capitol Hill.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's gonna raise some eyebrows. We should have seen it coming. Matt Gates as Attorney general. This is a new low. I mean, not as low as our age of consent laws are about to be, but pretty low.
Speaker 2: Quick question, the Department of Justice?
Speaker 5: Is it within one hundred feet of a school?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 5: It almost feels at this point like Donald Trump is trolling us. I mean, these picks can't get any more ridiculous, right. Fox News personality Pete Hegsath tapped for Defense Secretary. No, no, no, no, Why do I keep telling you this?
Speaker 2: Stop it?
Speaker 5: Stop it, Pete hegseith the Fox and Friends Weekend Understudy. I mean, the Department of Defense is one of the most complex bureaucracies in human history, and the President is choosing its leader the same way I chose breakfast cereals as a kid. Hey, I saw that too, can on TV. He must know how to make cereal. Now, if you're fortunate enough not to spend your life watching Fox News, and you're wondering if Pete Haikseth is one of the few responsible journalists on there, He's.
Speaker 8: Not Black Lives Matter trying to destroy Christmas as we know it?
Speaker 2: Can the Black Panther be played by a white guy?
Speaker 9: Wuhan virus, Chinese virus, maybe even the kung flu.
Speaker 8: Look, I got a plate full of burgers, and I got a buddy over here eating a big Mac for breakfast.
Speaker 2: I put a flag inside my jacket.
Speaker 8: Okay, what game are we playing here while I get this on?
Speaker 2: I think you're gonna do sudden death soccer show? You want it on this, I don't. I don't think I've washed my hands for ten years.
Speaker 5: That's secretary. I don't wash my hands to you now. To be clear, Heiseth isn't just a Fox News anchor. He's a combat veteran with tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Although the combat he's most famous for did occur on a live Fox broadcast. They're testing their skills with the axe Who's gonna win this battle in the long cat.
Speaker 2: I'm putting the money on Clayton check Suce.
Speaker 5: I love how conservatives are like New York is a violent warzone. Well time to fleeming finging axe on the Fifth Avenue. Yes, Pete, Heisett threw an axe at a group of drummers, which is pretty unbelievable. I mean, I'd understand it if it was bass players, but drummers. Then again, launching a weapon that accidentally hit a civilian, I mean, why is everyone saying this guy isn't qualified to run the Pentagon? You might see this and wonder what does Haigseth offer the US military. I'll tell you what great deals you see.
Speaker 9: One man army loves the country and makes damn good soap. I've used them all, and I love these new brands like gun smoke smells like American firepower, or Girka refined bourbon and tobacco leaf, or how about Patriot and the Pine tar Bar. There's more of them too. You can get him in a variety pack, each of them shaped like a grenade soap on a rope. The well groomed Militia This fourth of July, join it at Grenade soap dot Com.
Speaker 5: Look, I no history buff, but I have to think this is America's first defense secretary who has previously served as a soap influencer. Not just any soap, of course, grenade shape so for the kind of man who's too insecure to wash his body. You know, isn't gayt to soap up my own But I don't know. I mean, what are these sense? By the way, gunpowder, bourbon, tobacco. I love getting out of the shower smelling like I need a shower.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised this ad.
Speaker 5: Was it like, do you want to smell like a man at his lowest, then try grenade soap and smell like divorce. Well, look, peach Tenure, isn't just going to be about smelling like bourbon while evading axe murder charges. No, a secretary of defense, he has plans to protect us from its greatest enemy.
Speaker 9: We only have one military, and if the military goes woke, then it is less equipped to fight the words that needs to fight social justice, politically correct, environmental, LGBT, CRTDI nonsense that divides the force makes it weaker. I'm straight up just saying we should not have women combat roles.
Speaker 5: That's right, that's right, No women in combat roles. And Trump's America. If women really want to risk their lives, they're going to have to get pregnant. Now, cup ass, talk to the man. Now. You might wonder why Pete is so down on the idea of women working in the military. It's tough to say, but when you consider that, reportedly his first marriage ended because he had an affair with a female co worker, and then his second marriage ended because he had another affair with a female co worker, then you begin to understand why he's so worried about working with women. Of course, Pete Hegseth has written many books espousing his social conservative principles, and if you're wondering how he squared those principles with all his affairs, it was it's actually easier than you think.
Speaker 8: In his twenty sixteen book In the Arena, Pete Hegseeth called for policies preventing divorce of parents with kids. A year later, after his affair ended his marriage, he published a revised version, changing his demands to policies preventing wanton divorce.
Speaker 5: Damn fellas you ever have sex so good it changes your opinion on divorce laws. Our next Secretary of Defense has for more on the appointment of Pete hag Seth. We go live to the White House with Troy Iwata, Troy, Troy, Troy, what's the what's the latest?
Speaker 7: Well, Jordan, Pete Hagseth's appointment is leaving many concerned.
Speaker 2: Back to you, Bye.
Speaker 5: T try White No, Troy, come back, Come back, Troy, Troy, come back.
Speaker 2: Cut Troy? What do you what are you doing?
Speaker 5: Why are you dressed like Colombo?
Speaker 2: I don't want to be on air right now.
Speaker 7: Okay, the longer I'm on TV, the more of a chance Trump sees me and appoints me to his cabinet.
Speaker 2: I just then I'll have to work alongside.
Speaker 7: Pete Hansas and listen to him explain his soaps all day.
Speaker 2: Oh dirt and blood scented, that's manly.
Speaker 5: Okay, come on, Troy, take that. This guy's off. Take it off, Take it off. Donald Trump is not gonna pick you, and I doubt he even watches Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Fine, Fine, is this better?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yes, thank you Troy, as you were saying.
Speaker 2: As I was saying it. Damn it. It's a letter from Donald Trump. Dear Troy.
Speaker 7: I saw you on TV, so you are now the new Secretary of the Interior. See you around my house, parentheses the White House.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot, Jordan.
Speaker 5: Seriously, he just made you secretary of the Interior.
Speaker 6: You're nut.
Speaker 5: You're not qualified to run the interior.
Speaker 2: I'm gay, Jordan.
Speaker 7: He obviously thinks the head of interior is a decorating job.
Speaker 1: There's there's.
Speaker 2: No pay for facts in here.
Speaker 5: Okay, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 7: I'm not gonna put nautical themed wallpaper in the Lincoln bedroom.
Speaker 5: That's stupid. I mean no, what about the job. How did you get hired so fast? I've been on TV for ten years.
Speaker 2: Well, you know it's not just being on TV. You have to have charisma.
Speaker 7: Have you tried having charisma?
Speaker 5: I have charisma. I've got the Riz. Daddy's got the Riz.
Speaker 2: Stop that you're embarrassing yourself.
Speaker 7: Another letter, Jesus, Dear Troy, I love how you read my first letter.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 7: Okay, he's made me the secretary of education. Now, plus you were a bow tie, which means you are professor.
Speaker 2: Please go wild on the doe for me. Damn it, Jordan, you see what you're doing? Ok Sorry?
Speaker 5: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 7: I guess I'm gonna run the Department of Education. Now, why isn't he Why doesn't he get a qualified TV personality like Miss Frizzle or someone?
Speaker 2: Where's my rids? Look?
Speaker 5: What do you keep getting all these appointments? I have charisma? Two, mister President elect? Check this out right?
Speaker 2: Look at me? Oh my god, God, stop stop on?
Speaker 5: Oh hold on a second.
Speaker 2: What do we have here? Well?
Speaker 5: Well, Troy, looks like someone's noticed my riz. Dear Jordan, this is President Trump. Please ask Education Secretary Troy? Why do I see moon in sky during day? Damn it?
Speaker 2: Go tell him?
Speaker 1: Troy?
Speaker 2: What do you think I know that?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 2: Even if I did, I wouldn't tell him. He's just gonna put me in charge of NASA. Troy? What everybody? We come back?
Speaker 5: We remember America, don't go away all the fact of the Dallas Show. A lot of people are wondering what Donald Trump's election means for America and the answer is simple, It means the end.
Speaker 2: But who will remember.
Speaker 5: Us as a country? Don't say Sloan took up the task.
Speaker 2: Well, looks like Donald Trump gets.
Speaker 4: To be president again, and judging by how it went last.
Speaker 7: Time a half million Americans died unnecessarily of COVID nineteen, demonstrations over the death of George Floyd spread across six continents.
Speaker 4: I think we could be sure that America hang with a surviving of the term. So before it all goes down, I want to document what life would like in America before our dumbasses collapse. Society to join me here in New York City has ever before a backup before society in my new segment, so we'll say back that thing else. This is what we called a public library, a cathedral of knowledge, a catalog of human experience, and a place for creeps to masturbate on weekdays. About the library. It was the one place you could tell strangers to shut them off, because that's the official policy. This is where we came to read the great works of literature, like A Tale of Two Cities or this Men's Health magazine with Michael and Jordan the coover. Mmm, library, throw you nasty. This was the fail, an ancient venue for dramatic performance, constantly interrupted by cell phones and hard candy rappers. Can y'all cool it on the jolly ranchers. I'm trying to see who killed the salesman. The theater was also the place to go to see a musical of a movie that wasn't that great in the first place was playing here, Ah fatsand to the musical You Can't Wait. This was a rare place where the public is the artist in person and creepily wait by the stage door to get an autograph. Thanks for signing, John Semos.
Speaker 1: You were brilliant.
Speaker 4: It's getting lear now to sell this on EVA for twelve dollars. On top of that, audience members would hand the performance flowers for I raise it wo, how take it ah. The public Park a shared space where Jamaican nannies would take white babies while their parents were It was a place where joggers could jog, bikers could bike, and drug dealers could challenge you to a game of chess. On these fields, corporate employees would play four innings of softball once a year to distract from the solist tyranny of their everyday lives and also big next for you in the future.
Speaker 2: Parks are the.
Speaker 4: Fields that the Canadian military uses the air drop supplies, So in your next trips to pick up medicine, bring up Frisbees or the rib page is the person you defeated in a thunderdome. I don't know what y'all doing to relax your life is bad. This was a school, a place of learning, and a Ponzi scheme run by the Scholastic book Company. It's where we teach our children essential academic lessons like reading, writing, and diving a ball. Who still got it?
Speaker 2: Schools are also.
Speaker 4: Where we hope kids grow up by teaching them valuable social skills like how to drive a car and how to put a condom on a banana. And that's important because I'm not trying to get herpes from a banana.
Speaker 2: I don't know what a you Kida lady's been there.
Speaker 4: You have it the cornerstones of American society before we allowed hate and anger to poison our hearts.
Speaker 5: I get the out of my shot well a fan.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Hopefully the society that comes next will learn from our mistakes and now to takes shelter in the only place that will be saved from the nuclear war. My corner Bodeca. You know they are like corolayers the bulletproof glass. Oh, I'll do it until next time. I'm due station loan. And this was America who tell gow to jelevator, thank you bells.
Speaker 5: We come back rappering half sus time.
Speaker 2: We're going to make on the show. We're going.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to the I guess tonight is a Grammy Award winding musician turned politician whose story is told in the new documentary The Honorable Shine. Please welcome Moses Shine Barrow.
Speaker 2: I got to come here more often you they love you.
Speaker 1: I got to come here more from my goodness, this is come on back.
Speaker 3: This is like Madison Square Garden or Nison Call assume when I used to be a performer.
Speaker 5: This is quite well, that's how I got to know you as a performer. I mean, your story is Can I say bunkers is? Bunkers may be the most appropriate way to frame this.
Speaker 1: Extraordinary Okay, I think resilient.
Speaker 3: I think it's like the human spirit, which is indefatigable and indomitable.
Speaker 5: It's it's incredible a lot of people, I think all of us have that we have that and that's why those people are so excited to see me, because I represent them. That is very kind of you speak to a resilience that I wish I could say I had, but I've been having foot problems for the last seven years. I have a lot of health issues. I'm ailing in that way. This isn't about me. But if you know anyway to make me a stronger person, both physically and emotionally, I'll take it.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you're resilient in other ways because I you know, I don't get.
Speaker 1: Involved in US politics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I just you know, listen to your monologue and you're still going strong.
Speaker 5: All right, Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Continue to fight, right to continue, got to continue your fight.
Speaker 1: I'm fighting in believe.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get involved in American politics.
Speaker 5: Anybody can be involved in American politics.
Speaker 1: What we've learned today.
Speaker 5: If you show up on TV, you could be in the cabinet by dog.
Speaker 1: And believes might say the same thing about me.
Speaker 5: I was going to say, how do you find what is easier to navigate the rap world or the world of politics?
Speaker 3: Man, Politics is vicious, but you know it's quite similar in music. I was making music to be the voice of the voiceless. My art represented so much more than just the beat and being famous and being an entertainer. It was really, you know, poetry. It was really you know dissertations that were life or death, and being in the House of Representatives is the same thing. There are people that are dealing with high crime rates, high poverty rates, people.
Speaker 1: Dealing with inflation, people.
Speaker 3: Dealing with poverty, and when I go into the House of Representatives, I'm speaking on behalf of those people. So I don't care what my political critics have to say. I don't care what you know, the the paid media, or any of my detractors have to say, because I'm fighting for people. So I was doing the same thing as a musician. This is even greater for me because you're creating a society. Your policies are going to impact society at large, or not just impacting the creative sector, the agro sector, you know, the business sector, the laborers. So similarly as a musician, because everyone listens to your music, so it really is a seamless transition for me.
Speaker 5: You found connections so early as a musician, and if people are unfamiliar with your story a Grammy Award winning musician and then there's a shooting incident in a club with pop Daddy.
Speaker 1: Then you've got the Grammy after the incident.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: The album came out after the incident.
Speaker 3: Well, I got Grammy nominations and credit for Usher's album. I performed on that album Lil Wayne and Faith Evans and Carl Thomas. So this all happened while I was in cars rated unfortunately for taking the fall and being the sacrificial lamb for Diddy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, oof is right. Well, and Diddy is a big part of your early story indeed, but also Diddy has re emerged as a part of sort of this new American story. Is you see what has happened to him and that story and reflect on that. It feels like your story of taking the fall for did he didn't didn't get much attention way back when. Now do people see that in a new light or how do you see what is happening.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because his celebrity, his power was so loud that when myself and my mom and my supporters were screaming, hey, this guy destroyed my life. This guy said witnesses to testify against me, and I was just trying to defend him. And you know, he's ruined my life, take away my freedom, took away my career. Nobody was listening, nobody heard me. And I've been saying it for so long. Then I got to a point where I said, you know what, I'm not going to keep exerting energy on blaming anyone. I'm going to take responsibility for my life. I'm going to curate my present and my future, and I'm going to let go of this baggage. And that's what I did, and FOK, And that's how I got involved in politics and really just focused on fixing my life and not waiting for anyone to fix it and not lamenting on who broke it. And you know, I found the right partner in Disney Andscape to do the documentary, and here we are. All of the events that you see happening just happened to be happening. We have nothing to do with that. And so the story is not necessarily focused on the demise of Ditty. It's focused on the celebration of my resilience, which is your resilience. Anyone that's listening right now that that is going through a difficult time, Anyone that's listening right now that things the world is unfair and they've been screwed over and they've been done wrong. I represent that hope that things work out well.
Speaker 5: Said I truly find it remarkable to hear your story, to watch your story, your ability to let go of perhaps your preconceived notions of who you were and to find something new. I think in something that was surprising to me is after you are you're deported to beliefs where you were born, but then you find orthodox Judaism and you find real meaning in that and use that sort of also as a path to find meaning in your life, but also as a way to also find what you got out of politics. Correct. I guess I'm I guess what part of what is remarkable to me about that is. I think so much of who we are is about cementing an idea of who we are. And as somebody finds such great success as a rapper so early in life, to be able to let elements of that go and to to discover new parts of yourself just find really difficult for people to do, to let go of who they think they are.
Speaker 3: But I think hip hop. I gotta give credit to hip hop. You know, we celebrated fifty years last year. Hip Hop has always been such a multi dimensional diverse, you know, cultural joggernaut, and it's transformed today where it emerged in the inner cities, and.
Speaker 1: Now it's it's global, and now it's you know, every ethnicity, every culture all in one.
Speaker 3: So I realized a long time ago getting into the music business with different people that you know, they started off as rappers, they ended up being actors, they ended up being entrepreneurs. They ended up you know, owning clothing lines, you name it. They diversified their portfolio. Even Kanye, he ran to be president.
Speaker 5: Didn't quite Yeah, that's not the first thing that comes to when Kanye has gone on to do, but that's one of the things.
Speaker 1: Didn't quite work out.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: So I learned early on in my career to be diverse and to wear different hats, and certainly Judaism has guided me every step of the way. And there was a time where I was extremely religious, but I got into praying and faith as a means of survival. Brooklyn was extremely dangerous.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: I come from Belize.
Speaker 3: I was born and Belieze came to Brooklyn when I was eight years old, and I grew up where bullets were whistling past my ear.
Speaker 1: I grew up where my friend would get killed.
Speaker 3: We'd be sitting here talking heaven forbid, and someone get their brains blown out, and I realized that I couldn't survive without God. I couldn't survive without divine intervention. There was no way that I was going to beat the statistical odds of being a young African Caribbean American that was destined to go to jail or an early grave. And that's how I started praying and that led me to my success in the music business, however short lived it was until I got incarcerated. So when I got incarcerated, you know, there's a saying during Passover, when you celebrate the exodus the Israelites, they say Danu. They say, you know, if I don't get anything more, it's enough what you did for me.
Speaker 1: You know, you led me out of Egypt.
Speaker 3: And that's how having faith and having Judaism as the center of my world helped me to survive. And now I'm not religious. I'm spiritual, so I still fast on yam kipor still wrap my to fill in. But I'm not a zealous you know, I don't believe that I believe in a two state solution.
Speaker 1: I don't believe in I I don't believe in extremism.
Speaker 3: I don't believe in extreme extremists, Israeli hawks, and I don't believe in extreme terrorists, uh, but so. But living in Israel after I got deported, I was traveling around the world, but living in Israel allowed me to come to my truth, which is that I'm a connector. I bring people together, and I don't want to be an extremist. Dj Cal is one of my great friends, and he's a Palestinian Muslim and you know, we're brothers. And that's what I believe. Humanity is bringing people together. And sometimes when you get into religion, you separate humanity, push people away, and people killed over religion.
Speaker 1: So that's that's what that's what Uh. You know, being involved in Judaism meant for me, so.
Speaker 5: You come back to America and then that took me to back to believe.
Speaker 3: So I lived in Israel, I studied, I was ultra Orthodox Jew PAOs and everything, and then I realized the truth of my purpose was not to be in garments. It's about substance and content, and my content is about human beings, not about Jews, not about Muslims, not about you know, Hamas, not about you know, the right wing extremists, not about Republicans.
Speaker 1: Not about democrats.
Speaker 3: I'm about people, and so the people that need me the most are the people in Belize. So instead of spending my time praying, I need to spend my time doing I continue to pray, but actions are worth so much more than.
Speaker 1: Prayer, because I thank you.
Speaker 3: If you're just telling God a bunch of things and you're not doing anything as to that communication, then you're not It's really if you're not going.
Speaker 5: On, well, I guess you can hear from the response there We're we're talking at a pretty fraught time for a lot of people. A country does feel divided. You're here, You've seen political structures outside of America, but coming back, like, what, what lessons have you learned through your through your journey that perhaps we could we could take for it in this this this fraught time where it does feel like we are pulled apart and politics is not a unifying force but a divisive one.
Speaker 3: Nothing in life is given, so whatever policies you believe in, you have to fight for it, and sometimes you might have a temporary loss. I had a loss of ten years incarceration for something that I didn't do. I was defending a friend and a friend turned around and said, hey, it was him, and it wasn't me. It was carntone witnesses. One witness said, did.
Speaker 1: He shot him?
Speaker 3: I never said it, because you know, I was busy defending myself and defending him. But the point I'm trying to make is I could have felt sorry for myself for ten years, but I didn't. I was present every day of those ten years. Then I got deported and I was present every day for the thirteen years of deportation before I was allowed to come back here as the future Prime Minister of Belie.
Speaker 1: So I kept fighting for twenty three years. You guys only dot.
Speaker 3: I'm not taking any sides, but I'm just saying, whoever's not happy with the outcome, you only got four years to fight.
Speaker 1: Theoretically, yeah, right, so get to fighting.
Speaker 2: Get to fighting.
Speaker 5: The Honorable Shine were premiere exclusively on Hulu on November eighteenth.
Speaker 2: Moses Shine Barrat.
Speaker 9: Explore more shows from The Daily Show podcast universe by searching.
Speaker 2: The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 5: Tenth Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 2: Paramount podcasts,