Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Our three of the program. Chris Mannix sitting in for DP on this Friday. Good to be back with you and the boys. First two hours, flying along, a lot to get to here. In the third hour, Sam Amek the Great Rider over with the Athletic He's going to join us just a few minutes from now and talk about what's going on down in San Antonio. In Carolina. Last night we had the Hurricanes evening up their Stanley Cup Final series against the Las Vegas Golden Knights. Dan Patrick's Las Vegas Golden Knights. One of the things I first noticed is sit down and the at the jersey here. We got a lot of new things here in the Mancave.
Speaker 3: We were out there a few months ago for the F one race and the gold Knight sent over some swag, really nice stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, good jersey also got a is it a gong?
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 2: There's a lot of stuff in this mancave I'm just unfamiliar with, having not been here for six seven years. The Las Vegas Golden Knights and the Hurricanes even up at one great game last night. Watched the third period. Not a lot happening. First ten minutes too nothing, Golden Knights lead, Then all of a sudden, Hurricanes came to life, score three goals in the third period, wind up winning the game four minutes into overtime. Tremendous fun. It's always fun to watch Stanley Cup Final hockey just because you never know what's gonna happen. The The Hurricanes look lifeless for most of that game, they turn it around, tie the game up and regulation win it in overtime. Game two of the NBA Finals is tonight. The New York Knicks with the one nothing series lead over the San Antonio Spurs. A must win game for the San Antonio Spurs. Gotta win it this time. There have been teams in NBA history that have come back from down oh two. We saw the Milwaukee Bucks do it in twenty twenty one, came back to beat the Phoenix Suns. The Cleveland Cavaliers they came back to beat the Warriors they were down two zip. Big win for the Cavs. The common thread with both those teams, though, is they lost the first two games on the road. If the Spurs lose the first two games at home, it is improbable. If not impossible to believe that San Antoni can come back and beat the Knicks with three of those next five games potentially being played at Massive Square Garden. Big Game for Jalen Brunson gets thirty points in game one. We've been talking a lot about where he's elevated himself onto that next level. Is he the greatest nick of all time? If he wins a championship this year, does he go on the Mount rushmore of players six foot two and under. We've had some calls some comments about that over the last couple of hours. Some names that should be on that list. Isaiah Thomas on that list, we had Tiny Archibald added to that list. Alan Iverson of course belongs on that list. Chris Paul. A debate over Chris Paul being on that list, but Jalen Brunson winning a title in New York as the number one option on his team got to give him consideration to be on that list. Big Game for Victor Weiman Yaum and the Spurs as well. Wemby good stat line in game one, twenty six points, twelve rebounds, but he was six of twenty one from the floor and he was just a perimeter guy. You know, I love a seven ft four guy that can shoot threes, but you need a guy getting the paint. Two of nine of three point reigns, it's not going to get it done in Game two, must win game for the San Antonio Spurs, playing on their home floor. Eight seven to seven three DP shows the phone number email address DP at Danpatrick dot com. Sam Amick, senior writer over at the Athletic. He is down in San Antonio, Sam. Let me ask you this, Jalen Brunson leads the Knicks to the championship. Is Jalen Brunson the greatest Nick of all time?
Speaker 5: Mister Mannix, good to see you. Is he the greatest Nick of all time? It's maybe?
Speaker 6: You know? I mean? That was quick side story from the playoff Road. Here.
Speaker 5: I was at an establishment last night with the lovely daughter of one Patrick Ewing, so Randy Ewing, so she might have something to say about this debate.
Speaker 6: You know, there's a long list of great Knicks.
Speaker 5: I don't care to be honest with you where Jalen falls in that debate. I'd like the other debate better, Like this six to an under thing is is wild? Chris Paul deserves to be on that list. But but Jalen is doing the type of stuff that sparks these debates, doing the type of stuff that you know, not to have somebody catch as straight. But I keep laughing about the Becky Hammond, like the whole.
Speaker 6: Commentary where Becky you know, said so long ago.
Speaker 5: That Jalen could not be the number one guy on a championship team, and she stood on that recently, which was kind of, you know, strange.
Speaker 6: He's just been incredible. Man.
Speaker 5: He's fun to watch and you know, you know, on West Coast base, so I don't see the Knicks as much, and buddy, to watch Jalen do what he did in the fourth quarter, it was fun. It was neat to see because it was like, oh, this dude is as advertised when it matters most.
Speaker 2: What's been the vibe around the Spurs the last couple of days.
Speaker 5: Fine, they're pretty for a young group, they're they're pretty even keeled. They you know, they're mature, you know, Wenby, I'm always really interest did how he's going to handle his voice and his messaging. I did think it was interesting after Game one that you know, and you know this like he kind of wasted no time sliding in quite a few comments about your confidence, and you know, I'm not worried in the slightest, you know, just trajecting the kind of way you would expect for a confident guy. Uh, they seem fine. I mean you just hit the nail on the head when you talked about game two. Is the like, let's do a false check if they lose game two. You know they're gonna be fine if they split this thing at home, and not to put you, you know, give you a homework assignment. I did wonder because you detailed the teams that went down oh too when they were you know, on the road. Have we had a champion who lost the first two at home, so we know.
Speaker 2: I forget what the six heat did? I know they were another team that was down oh two when they came back to beat Dallas. But that's the only one that there haven't been that netty that have come back from oh to It's only been a handful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Because when you said this was must win, I was gonna give you a hard time and say it was hyperbole, and then as you laid it out.
Speaker 6: It was like, it's pretty important. So what happens, Sam, I'm facts.
Speaker 2: He always fact. I don't think it's ever didn't have with Miami. I think they were they lost the first two on the road. Uh, and those are the teams I mentioned lost on the road as well. So adjustment for San Antonio. What do you think is the biggest adjustment they're gonna make going into game two.
Speaker 5: Well, it's the same thing they've battled throughout the playoffs, which is that as great as Wemby is, as part of this is youth and and it's him trying to figure out the chess match.
Speaker 6: He's inconsistent.
Speaker 5: He has a roller coaster, uh you know, kind of element to his game. So they've got to you already said this, They've got to get him inside more. Yes, it's it was super fun when he hit that thirty five footer in the last round in Game one. Okay, fine, but uh getting pushed out by kat getting pushed out by.
Speaker 6: Ogn No and Mitchell Robinson.
Speaker 5: The problem is, I just don't know how you know doable that is because this is literally the roster construction that you should want to have to go at Wemby and going into the series. I wrote a whole piece where I talked to some front office folks about the domino effect of what Victor was doing. And the reality is, the irony is is that like most of the people I talked to pointed to the Knicks roster construction as what you should want. A guy like Kat who's seven feet, two hundred and forty pounds.
Speaker 6: You know, Mitch big boy, a lot of halft.
Speaker 5: You know, he can bully Webby and he's athletic enough to keep up with him same you know, og and what he brings.
Speaker 6: So getting Victor going first and foremost.
Speaker 5: Secondly, you know the others in the West Finals for the Spurs, you know, Dierre Fox, Julian Champenny, Dylan Harper, all the way down line.
Speaker 6: Kell the Johnson had a fantastic finish to that series.
Speaker 5: You know, those guys have got to show up because you know, yes, Vick was sixty twenty one and struggled a bit, but but the other guys weren't.
Speaker 6: Weren't helping to either.
Speaker 2: What Kevin Johnson gain like eight minutes in this that game one that was surprising. Yeah, A thought sixth Man of the Year. I thought he'd be a natural guy to put on Towns for stretches. Uh, that surprised me our little minutes He's got we You know, I thought that the fatigue sam was a little bit overblown coming into the series, because I thought three days was a long time, and I thought think about being at home was going to be enough for San Antonio to recharge the batteries and not make fatigue as big an issue as somewhere. But I'm watching that game one. I'm sitting there and I'm looking at Victor Webbin Yama kind of grabbing his knees in the first quarter. I'm looking at some of these other guys just not look like they've had the same energy that they did early in that series in Oklahoma City. How big a fact do you think fatigue's going to be in this game too, and potentially the rest of the series.
Speaker 5: It's significant, But I'm confused, you know again, like I was not around Victor that much also long, So now you know this is we've done this a long time. You get in the gym with these guys and you try to study them and learn how they're wired, how they operate. Victor and the way that he crashes out from a fatigue standpoint is puzzling, because yes, I understand he's seven foot four, but he's not lugging around three hundred pounds, you know. But he absolutely does have these moments and you just hit on it, like early in the game when he's clutching at the knees or or you know, looking for a blow that doesn't make sense. And that's where as transcendent great, you know, and talented as he is, the inconsistency part has got to be tricky for ms Johnson, you know, from a rotation standpoint, because you know, is that tied to not having as much of a break as the Knicks coming out of the West Finals, Like that's a little hard to believe, Like you said, three days, so they.
Speaker 6: Got to fight through that.
Speaker 5: You didn't see any of that from the Knicks, and I don't really think as necessarily because of you know, that long stretch that they had to rest. But Wenby's great again. I keep kind of hitting the same point. He's great, but he comes and goes a bit.
Speaker 2: How short a leash do you think the Aaron Fox will be on tonight?
Speaker 5: Very curious to see it because there are bigger picture implications of that kind of a choice.
Speaker 6: I've been asked this a couple of times.
Speaker 5: And my thing is the Spurs from a culture standpoint, are obviously incredibly savvy, and they know that the moment you open the door to the Dylan Harper era and you put the Aaron, you know, on the bench, you know, you know, because of the stakes of what's going on right now, like he's going to be a domino effect. And that's very tricky for them from a planning standpoint, because yes, they have this historical backdrop where Montageenobli famously agrees to go to the bench with Greg Popovich's you know, kind of nudging, and the rest is history.
Speaker 6: He's a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 5: Montagenobili was not making sixty million dollars a year, which is what the Aaron is on track to make, and so the solution is not quite as even fd Aaron at some point was willing to yield to the young fella in terms of a contract, roster construction.
Speaker 6: That's an issue.
Speaker 5: So but you got a championship on the line, so you know, would I be shocked to see it, you know, I'd be surprised. I don't know how short the leash is. Dylan didn't show out though. That's the other thing. He had a good first half, but four points in the second half. You know, he faded a bit. But the more pressure that he applies with his play and then with the Aaron, you know, if he keeps doing what he did in Game one, which was having a hard time, then you know, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Talking to Sam an mix Sen, you're NBA writer over at the Athletic in San Antonio for Game two of the NBA Finals tonight. Sam, we are right around three weeks away from the NBA Draft, which is three weeks away from the self imposed deadline that the Milwaukee Bucks have to trade Jannistindecompo. What have you been hearing over the last couple of days about Giannis and how likely do you think it is that Giannis has traded before the June draft?
Speaker 5: Seems very likely, Admittedly, you know that it's not often you have an owner, you know, publicly framing the timeline, and that's what Jimmy HASLM.
Speaker 6: Did you know we just saw Jimmy has them do a blockbuster.
Speaker 5: Trade with Miles Garrett in the NFL, showing he's certainly ready to pull that trigger if he needs to. I do expect it to happen. Miami, as you know, is the loudest noise. You know, you continue to hear that. But what I tried to write the other day with my colleague Eric name, and it was interesting to get into, is yes, it appears, you know, everybody you talk to says Miami at the deadline, had a deal that was closed, had a deal that they thought was going to happen. The Bucks ended up backing out, and so the noise is tied to Miami. But there's also some intel discussion, you know, kind of understanding that Giannis has questions about what that Miami roster would look like on the other side of a deal. You know, it reminds me of the Carmelo Anthony dilemma when he went from Denver to the next Like you don't want to get the roster, go to the place that you're excited to be to, you know, be in, and then have a hard time contending for a championship. And that is where you know, we'll see what happens in the next few weeks. Because in one of your backyards, I think the Celtics are are pretty intriguing options where you know, in terms of being competitive, you know, if you do something with Boston. And this is what we had heard from Ghanis's side, that the intrigue is real, you know, the respect for Joe Mizula, the way that he might see that roster. So do I think it changes things? I don't know yet, but you know, I do think that's worth watching.
Speaker 2: I could see why Giannis would want to play in Boston. I still struggle to see why Boston would give up the kind of assets it would need to give up to go and get yn. It's not that they aren't considering it, but if I'm running the Celtics, I'm not trading Jalen Brown and a couple of draft picks for Yostivakopo. Not in a real action to a bad first round loss to the Philadelphia seventy six ers. Mostly because I don't trust Giannis's health. Sam. I don't trust that he's had multiple years of soft tissue injuries and you're going to have to give this guy a multi year contract at the full max. Now you're talking about having two full max guys on your roster in Jason Tatum and Jostindecompoll, both of whom have dealt with significant injuries over the last couple of years. I know Jalen Brown is not a perfect fit. I know the Celtics want to get more pressure on the rim. Brad Stevens talked about that, but to me, the risk is just too big to go all in on a player like Giannis at this stage.
Speaker 6: Well, and it's very sensitive too, Like the Jalen Brown thing that you just hit on. It's like when the noise.
Speaker 5: Got loud a couple months ago regarding Dalen and how he saw him the season and all the chatter about what he said on the live stream that it was the most fun he'd ever had and that was confusing because you know, it just set this message that he wanted his own team. As you know the Celtics, you know, they went to great lengths to kind of massage that situation and get things back in a good place. And they're not the only team dealing with this, like Miami is and this is Giannis related. Miami is is loud with it right now. They don't care if everybody knows that they're chasing Giannis because they don't really care what Tyler Hero feels about getting traded. But like Boston's got to be sensitive, you know the Knicks are unofficially out because of what they're doing. But you remember Karl Anthony Towns was not real thrilled to have his name attached to the g honest discussion, you know previously. Like that is where I think we could see a wild card team come on strong, you know, and come out of the shadows, so to speak, because I think there's a lot of teams that are absolutely looking at this and interested here, but also have to pay attention to their own locker room dynamics.
Speaker 2: If somebody offered you one hundred thousand dollars for your press pass for Game three in New York, would you take it?
Speaker 6: I mean, journalistically, absolutely not. I would never consider such a thing.
Speaker 2: I think I think about it if you're a Nicks fan on the Capital.
Speaker 5: Journalist, if there's so, yeah, but the spirit of your question, like I mean, yeah, Hunter K's I'm good with that. That's you know, the production value on TV these days is pretty pretty high. I'll hang out with somebodies and watch this thing on a big old projector screen and you.
Speaker 2: Know, laugh all the way to the bank, and they transcribe all the quotes for you.
Speaker 6: Sam.
Speaker 2: It's all available fired out. You got kids. I got a kid now, it's like, you know, you gotta look out for number one. There, Sam, good Sam.
Speaker 6: Let me add on to this man. I'm fired up to go to New York.
Speaker 5: Man, Like I'm a West Coaster, So I don't know if I would take that money because like I don't I don't see the garden very often.
Speaker 6: I don't see the chaos.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't really Sacramento guy in New York. There we go. This is when we yea Sacramento guy text, by the way to get your take quickly on Uh yeah, question that came up, more dysfunctional, more irrelevant. Right now. The Brooklyn Nets are the Sacramento Kings.
Speaker 5: I mean, uh, the Kings have things that they're trying to work on and to get out of the ditch.
Speaker 6: I don't know what Brooklyn's doing, so I actually probably go at Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: They got young players in Brooklyn, though, Sam, like, at least you've got like some hope like Sacramento, who wants to be there right now? Like who wants to be part of that team at the moment.
Speaker 5: It is Listen, it is painful. I mean, as you know, you have Mike Brown garon Fox. In the finals. You have ogananob a guy that I've contested and contend that they should have traded for to take the Beam team to the next level. There's all kinds of six degrees of Sacramento pains in this NBA Finals right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to hate that Sacramento watching their former head coach and their former star compete for a championship. One of them is going to win it at the in the next couple of weeks. Great stuff, Sam, Good to catch up with you and I will see you in New York City. Try to, you know, keep it under control there these late nights in New York. They don't in New York City.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we know about that. I've met with you out there.
Speaker 2: You got it all right, buddy, Good stuff, Sam, Sam Annex senior writer over at the Athletic joining us here on the Dan Patrick Show. I say, Sacramento. I understand what he's saying about Brooklyn, but Brooklyn's got guys that want to be there. Nobody wants to be in Sacramento. Like I would put every Nickel I owned the Doug Christie's not going to be the head coach of the Sacramento Kings one year from today, not gonna happen. They're gonna go in a different direction. Hopefully get a good young player. See if they can win that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pauli mad You're King's management thinking. You know it's quiet, the NBA Finals going on. They're not gonna talk about us in our futilities.
Speaker 2: Just out you're burying though, all right? Eight seven to seven three DP shows the phone number, email address DP at Danpatrick dot com lot to get to your phone calls. Best week in sports coming up, This is the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP. Sports Radio is taking over YouTube and you can be a part of it. Just go to YouTube and search Fox Sports Radio, hit that subscribe button and smash that notification bell and catch all the videos from your favorite shows. Two Pros and a Cup of Joe, Dan Patrick, Colin Cowherd, Stu Gotson Company Live, Cavino and Rich he On a Couple with Rob Parker and Kelvin Washington, The Jason Smith Show with Mike Harmon and The Ben Maller Show Fox Sports Radio on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon and comment away. Charles Barkley, who is not afraid of the hot take, is that a few of them over the years. He was appearing on ESPN and he had this to say about Jalen Brunson in terms of his status as a free agent signing.
Speaker 7: Listen, I said to a few years ago, I think Bronson might turn out to be the greatest free agent signing. I'm not talking about Lebron and Kevin Durandon guys like that, but I think Bronson, if he's able to deliver a championship to New York, it'd be the greatest free agent signing in NBA history. Nobody knew he was going to beat as good.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 7: You got nobody when New York signed him. They didn't think he was gonna be as good. He's turned them into a perennial contender. They went from being never being talked about to the conference finals last year. Now they're in the finals because the Bronson. So if he's able to finish this journey, Mike, it would be the greatest free agent sign in NBA history.
Speaker 2: So you got to go back and think about free agent signings, and free agency really came in vogue in i'd say the eighties nineties, when things started to open up a little bit. Now, Barkley qualified two of the biggest hitching signings of the twenty tens. You had Lebron James. I guess you could be talking about both Lebron James going to Miami, going back to Cleveland, going to Los Angeles, whichever one you wanted to focus on. Kevin Durant. Nobody expected Kevin Durant at the time to go sign with the Golden State Warriors winds up winning two championships there, probably would have won a third if you didn't get injured in that twenty nineteen finals. So he takes those two guys out of the picture. So Jalen Brunson signs with the Knicks. I would argue that Shack going to the Lakers in the nineteen nineties was a bigger signing than Jalen Brunson going to the New York next Now you can argue that Brunson was a more unexpected signing. Nobody thought Jalen Brunson was going to be this guy. I agree with Barkley on that one. At best, people thought Jalen Brunson would be the kind of guard we saw at the end in Dallas, a guy that could start be a great co star, be a serviceable top fifteen point guard who can give you eighty two games at that position, but never be great on either end of the floor. What he's become is nothing short of spectacular. He's on a short list for the top point guards in the NBA. We've discussed at length at this show what a championship would do for him. If he win the championship, do we elevate Jalen Brunson to the Mount rushmore of six too and undergo arts? The list is short. Iverson's on that list, Bob Coosey's on that list. Isaiah Thomas is on that list. After that, you're talking Tiny Archibald, you're talking Chris Paul. We made the point, John Stockton, I would have him on that list. Steve Nash six foot three doesn't count six foot three yet.
Speaker 3: Paul, you could probably put Nash on the greatest free agent signings of all time. I think he was a free agent at age twenty nine with Dallas.
Speaker 2: Very It's always Dallas. Why is that always Dallas the screwing this up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had made two straight All Star teams with Dallas and he was a really good player. He's averaging fifteen and eight. Then he goes to the Suns and he wins back to back MVP.
Speaker 2: So you remember the story about that was that the Mavericks didn't believe that Nash's body was going to hold up. He had the back issues that Mark Cuban, don Nelson, they didn't believe that wasn't mell Yes Cuba at that time, Cuban and Nelly were both They didn't believe that Nash would be healthy enough to validate the kind of contract that the Phoenix Suns game. Whoa were they mistaken? Woa they miss on that one. They've got a bad I mean just saying it out loud, like Steve Nash let him go. Luka Doncic traded in for nothing. Jalen Brunson wouldn't give him four years and fifty five million in the summer of twenty twenty one. What are we doing is what could have been with the Dallas Mavericks. I don't know, but Steve Nash not on that list. Def Curry sixty three not on that list either, but Jalen Brunson belongs in the conversation for the best small player under six to two of all time. And as far as best freedom signing goes most unexpected, I would say is the best way to put it. I think Shaq, as far as free agent signs go, led the Lakers to three championships. You knew what he was like. He was an elite player when he left the Orlando Magic, and he went to LA for a lot of the same reasons Lebron went to La. Not Lebron didn't want to be in movies. I was in train Wreck, good movie. Shack went there for Hollywood aspirations in part. You wanted to be in Los Angeles on the biggest stage. We knew how good Shaq was, we didn't know how good Jalen Bronson was. Yeah, Dylan, Yeah. I feel like.
Speaker 8: Knicks fans were actually more excited about the Julius Randall signing when it happened to Jalen Runson. And then who do they get because of Julius Randall, Karl Anthony Towns.
Speaker 2: You might be right, You might be right about being more excited about that signing because look at the time, it was considered a coup that the Knicks were able to lure Brunson away from the Mavericks. But it was also questionable how much money they gave him, like one hundred and four million dollars, I think it was at that time, was like, whoa damn. This guy's had one season where he took over when Doncic was injured. Is he really worked that? Can he be that guy? We're blowing up our salary cap because of Brunson. Turns out they made the right move. Yeah, Paul I just went back and looked at Shaq's stats. He was twenty three his last year in Orlando, but he had only played fifty two games.
Speaker 3: He started getting hurt. He was down to ninth on the MVP list. His stats were down a little bit, so anyone. His first year in Los Angeles, same thing, fifty one games, a bit injured, He was ninth for MVP. But then he ramped it up every year after that. He started playing more games and he went to like six for the MVP first third, third. So it started a little slow with Shack in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you had some some tough goes of it with Orlando that magic team. I mean, injuries derailed what they could have been. Shack Penny Hardaway. Go back and watch that documentary, the thirty for thirty on Shack and Penny. That's pretty pretty revealing stuff.
Speaker 9: Yet, and when we talk about the Spurs, we cannot do what we did with the Thunder with Kevin Durant and those guys, and the Magic with Shack and Penny. And that's saying they'll be back. You don't know if they'll be back.
Speaker 2: That's the thing too. You don't know the Knicks much more than San Antonio. You've got a lot of questions. Even though the Eastern Conference is a lot weaker. I think the Knicks have a three year window here. You know, Kat is thirty years old, Brunston's right around the same age. Oh, Giannaobi young guy, Mikhale Bridge is still a young guy going into next year. If Boston runs it back with a healthy Jason Tatum, you'd probably make them the favorites if they go out in a dress some of the needs that they've got Cleveland, we'll see what they do in the offseason. But the Eastern Conference, like this is you know, people say, like, look at the Eastern conference like, oh, it's like the secondary conference.
Speaker 6: Then it is.
Speaker 2: It's a much lesser, less talented conference. But the argument for an Eastern Conference team winning a championship against a superior Western Conference team is being made right now because all credit to the Knicks were what they did in Game one, what they might do for the series. But San Antonio is shop worn coming in. San Antonio has taken a beating during the playoffs. They go what six games Minnesota, that's tough. They go seven with Oklahoma City, that's tougher. They're down three to two every and look, the West is not getting any easier. Like all those teams that stunk out the joint the bottom, they're gonna get better, Like Utah. Utah tried to be bad last year, but they're not really that bad. They've got Jaron Jackson, junior Lowry Mark and another high draft pick this year meant this, could they be better if they make some moves. Portland they're a team on the rise. New Orleans they just got a new coach. They could be better. It's not gonna get any easier. In the Western Conference playoffs. You could have first round series between an eight seed and one seed going seven games. It's very possible for these things to happen, and for the team that comes out of the Western Conference to be so embattled, to be so beat up that a team with lesser talent that has to go through a lot less has a chance to beat them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, all right, Chris, Chris Mannock's joining us today. You haven't been here in a long time. Some of the guys in the back room just heard today and maybe even listeners. Your first job in sports out of college was what.
Speaker 2: My first job in sports out of college? In college? Out of college?
Speaker 6: Your job?
Speaker 2: You're, oh, my ball boy?
Speaker 1: Years?
Speaker 2: Your ball boy? Yes, I was, I like to call myself locker room attendant with the Boston Celtics for eight years, most of the bad years. What years ninety five, the first year the garden opened, ninety five to three. I graduated college in two thousand and three and got the job as a fact checker with Sports Illustrated short thereafter.
Speaker 3: And part of your job, for those who don't know, you've got pictures like you helped warm up Michael Geordan or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yes, explain before Look, things were a lot more loose back in those days, before games I like to engage with some of the players on visiting teams in I wouldn't say games of one on one because I really got the ball, but i'd play defense against them. My Jordan's story was, which I've said, I think on the show before, is that Jordan was. I think it was ninety six ninety seven, last couple of years with the Bulls. Like most six foot two, six foot three white point guards, I wanted to be Bobby Hurley, like, I thought that was my future. So I was a big Duke fan, had the Duke shirt on at all times. Michael before Sell this game, I think was actually the first game of the season that year. If I go back that far, Michael was walking by and he saw the shirt Michael UNC guy Carolina Blue through and through. He said, Duke sucks. And I turned around and I said, you suck.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 2: Just was kind of reflexive in that moment, and he took it in the right way. He kind of dragged me over and we started to kind of go at it there a little bit. One on one. He was just as good as you might expect. He was nail and turn around jumpers on me. I was just some skinny seventeen eighteen year old at that time. He was kicking my butt, but it was fun. I have a lot of those.
Speaker 3: Stories, yeah, Paul, And I've seen a picture this year with your forum of George Bank. But he's so competitive that he had to take a ball boy with a Duke shirt on out there and say hey, here's a reminder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even he didn't. I was on the floor anyway, Like I don't want to oversell it, like I did say he sucked, like I said that in that moment, which looking back on it maybe not the wisest maneuver, but Kaye, it was kind of a reflex. He was kind of a reflex saying something like that. But Gray Omen he did a lot of that. Stephon Marbury was a guy that I went up against Ray Allen when he was on multiple teams. I used to go up against and a lot of guys. It's not to digress too much. Kobe a little bit too. I did at some with Kobe. I was I was a younger guy with Kobe Bryant. Always see it up on the screen there if you're watching on Peacock and Sports Network. I did that a lot with those guys, and a lot of those guys when I graduated college and they saw me walking around with a press pass on and a notebook and in the locker room as a journalist. A lot of those guys I could tell were wondering what they may have said to me and what I may have been because there were a lot of guys back in the day. One of my jobs when I was working the visiting locker room was whatever a visiting player needs, you go and you take care of right. A lot of times it was booze. A lot of times it was women. A lot of guys that were like I used to be the guy that if somebody saw somebody this says before at Internet tender, things like that hookup guy, the hookup guy. So if a guy saw someone a girl in the crowd and he wanted to get her phone number, he'd send me up, And of course I go up because usually if I got the numbers, one hundred old billion, it for me at the end of the night. I'm in college. It's great. There was a guy, Lee Nalon was his name. Lee Naylon played back in the day. Lee Nalon. I remember one game where he wasn't playing. He wasn't playing for this team at the time. He was on the bench, but he wasn't active or he wasn't playing.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: He sent me up after one girl. The girl looked down said no, uh came back, so Lee went to another one quo jo girl up in the stand. I must have got up in the stands three times before I got somebody's phone number for my PALLEI dang it was then.
Speaker 3: It's hard to get numbers on the bench. If you're out playing, it's.
Speaker 2: Easy, I I guess, yeah, but I would go up there and do that. Alan Iverson the one I've told a couple of times in the past. Think I wrote a story about this once. Alan Iverson was after the Celtics beat the seventy six. I want to say, O two first round beat them in five games, kind of the rise of Paul Pierce and Nantwan Walker and those teams. After the game, Iverson gives me, I think it must have give me a two thousand dollars three thousand. I don't know what it was. Just told me to get as much corona and different drinks as I can get. So, if you're familiar with the Boston Garden area, there's not a liquor store across the street. You've got to go up the hill, and I don't have a car, A and B, even if I did, like driving around after a game in that area is impossible. You're not doing that. So I take one of those hand trucks and I'm rolling the hand truck up the hill and I go into the liquor store that's on top of the hill. I forget the name of the street, but it's up there, and I just start grabbing racks of Corona, grabbing musta at fifteen twenty, I don't know. I grabbed a couple of bottles of what they were looking for, and I start to make my way back down the hill. As I'm making my way back down the hill, the game is letting out, so I've got people trying to grab racks off the case. I'm doing my best to play defense on them, trying to bring them in. I'm pretty successful at bringing all this booze into the garden. As I get into the arena, the Celtics start coming down the stairs. And the Celtics just advance to the second round, so they're coming down the stairs and they're grabbing the thirty racks they're taking beer off the off the cart from me, and I'm not gonna say no to Tony Batti and Paul Pierce and guys like that that are celebrating winning. So I get back to the truck or I get back to the team bus and I'm unloading some of this and Iverson's like, you know, he didn't want to change back anyway, but he's like, this is all you got. I had like a third of my inventory by the time I got back to that truck. But I made sure there was a case on his seat and some other stuff that was there.
Speaker 3: I want you, I forget, but he said keep the change off of like whatever, Like he didn't care.
Speaker 2: He didn't It didn't really affect him how much money. He just wanted enough for him and his teammates to I guess drink away this first round series loss tough. I got a lot of good stuff, good gig. I got a lot of those stories. Now, that was the best college gig anybody could ever have, because you made like two three hundred bucks a night, And you guys know, in the nineteen nineties in college early two thousands, three hundred dollars, you might as well be a millionaire walking into the bar, You'd be like, Oh, let's spread it around our first rounds on me, second rounds on me. I was, I was feeling it during those days, all right, eight seven to seven three DP shows the phone number, email address of course, DP at Danpatrick dot com. Game two spur against Nick tomorrow night. But I want to talk a little bit about game three in game four? How much is it gonna cost to get into the building for Game three? In Game four? Get the poll poor results as well, what we learned? Go around the room. That's next. Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: All right, it's Meet Friday here on the Dan Patrick Show. The new Rectech would fired grills are fired up outside today, more heat, more consistent temp control, and built like a tank. Learn more at rectech dot com, r E C T e Q dot com. I don't they've ever been here for a Meet Friday. That was something else. That was like three minutes of heaven in the back. That was pretty impressive. Like that, I gotta come back more for these these fridays. All right, Paul, you have a news. I haven't done best weekend sports here and I've been on the show. Why don't you walk me through it?
Speaker 3: So it could be a person, an entity, a player, coach, anyone who had a great week in sports for whatever reasons. Your pick. I'll go first. I'll give you example. Russell Wilson retired from the NFL career wasn't going that great. He got a prime gig at CBIA Sports on their football show. And that's a really nice gig, a lot of dough, it's living in New York City. He had a great week considering how last year went.
Speaker 2: All right, Marvin, what do you got?
Speaker 9: Miles Garrett getting traded from the lowly Cleveland Browns to the Super Bowl contender La Rams.
Speaker 2: That's nice. That's nice going to Cleveland to La get a lot of money. Maybe Aaron Donald comes back and wants to play with you. I don't know what can happen there, Dylan, what do you got? I gotta go with the AFC North because Miles Garrett isn't there anymore. Okay, Fritzy recently buys him, giving it to forward Seth Jarvis of the Carolina Hurricanes. If he doesn't get that overtime goal, they lose their first two at home and it down O two going to Vegas. Yeah, you had no idea how Seth Jarvis was until last knock.
Speaker 5: Mike Jarvis at that former coach.
Speaker 2: George Washington.
Speaker 3: Sat john'step deep cut.
Speaker 2: Do you having his long It's good, Mike Jarvis. I'm gonna go with seven footers everywhere. And I say that because we're in today's NBA. The last five ten years, it's evolved towards more small ball, and even if you are a center, you're being asked to shoot three pointers. Now, if you're seven feet and you got some muscle on you, you're gonna be needed to defend Victor webgyon for the next fifteen years. Like if you're a team, I got to use Isaiah Hartenstein as an example, Mitchell Robinson as an example. These are guys that you'd look at and be all right, fifteen to twenty million a year type of players now because the demand for them is going to be so high. You got a big contract thirty million dollars a year, thirty five I don't know, something like that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Marvin, that's kind of like in the nineties when the Spurs gave him a leak Rose a big deal just because he can kind of deal with Shack just a little bit.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, three and D guys are still in vogue. They still get a lot of money, They're still popular. But now I think the days of like the plotting seven footer is back, the burly big Man is back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, PAULI you gotta give Marvin a little credit for the Molik Rose pole I did.
Speaker 2: That is a good that's a good poll. That's better than Mike Jarvis. I'll give him that much, that's for sure. Dylan, what do you got?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 8: Paul actually said this to me earlier as a poll question. We didn't get to it, but I think it's a good topic for the room.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: You can be seven feet tall and play in the NBA for five years as a backup and make like twenty million dollars, but you're seven feet you know, for the rest of your life, or just stay as you are.
Speaker 2: M I'd take the twenty million dollars. Yeah, I'd live with being seven feet The discomfort in cars, planes, things like that, and this is shopping.
Speaker 3: I know you got twenty millions to you custom clothes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about I mean, what if you're like seven to five? That's that's different, Like do you like taco? Fall is an example, Like a guy that didn't have a long NBA career, made a couple of bucks, made some money over in China too, so made a little bit of money. But he's seven foot five and travel is going to be difficult for him for the rest of his natural life. Like that's yeah, seven to five is tough. Seven foot I could probably get around with. I'm six three. It's it's a big difference. I'd give you, but it's it's right there.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I I seven foot, twenty million dollars seven to five, I'd pass on it. Game two is tonight. Tickets are expensive, though Knicks fans are all there and droves. That's because the get in price for games three in game four is outrageous, outrageous in New York City, PAULI, as of today, what are the get in prices for game three? In game four?
Speaker 3: For one ticket bad seat seventy two hundred for Game three? It gets better or worse for Game four eights for the worst seat in the house.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you that some of these bad seats that you're talking about are really bad, Like they're really bad, Like they're not They're not only high, many of them are obstructed view, like you're some of the ones I've looked at from the Press Sex, which is also pretty high up. You watch are mostly watching on a monitor, the monitors right in front of you. It's kind of lowered down. You get a half look at the floor. It's very difficult to watch the game action in some of these seats. The idea of paying seventy five hundred dollars get in to watch Game three, that's wild to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Game four eight thousand dollars, you're buying the ability to stay for the rest of your life. I was there. No one's gonna ask you. If you're a Row four hundred or Row eight, they may ask you, but you just say I was there forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess I say no now. But it's like use like the Goodwill Hunting reference, like being at the game at the Carlton Fist game for the Red Sox and you get the home run, like you don't know what's gonna happen, Like if it's just a run of the mill game. You're like, I paid seventy five hundred bucks. S Thatt's a car. That's a new car. I could have bought for something like that instead. But if it turns out to be the greatest game in NBA history, then short you can say that, yeah, Fritz. And if you're a big Knicks fan and it's like I was there for the one thirteen seventy nine loss or whatever, if that goes really poorly, it's that much worse that you spent all that money so your team get.
Speaker 6: The kind of up.
Speaker 2: It's like the Knicks fans that you know, you probably thought three quarters into Game one of the Conference Finals when they're down twenty two points in the fourth quarter, like, damn, what did I pay for? I probably paid five grand to get this good seat to this one game. But I guess it all depends on how how the game plays on. I thought Jalen Brunson had a good answer to the question he was asked yesterday at Media Day. People were telling Brunson what these get in prices were, right around seventy five hundred dollars. He was asked what he would pay seventy five hundred dollars to actually go and see.
Speaker 4: There was a report that in the last row of the garden their seats on sale for seventy five hundred dollars. I'm curious what show would you pay seventy five hundred dollars to go see.
Speaker 6: That's a good question. Alive Michael Jackson performance, That's a good one.
Speaker 2: I think that's probably off the table at the moment. But he's not gonna go see the theory. In theory, I guess you can go and see that. I can't. Is there anything you guys would pay seventy five hundred dollars to go and see?
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Bally, If to get a ticket to cut Game seven of the Cubs World Series, I.
Speaker 2: Would have paid that. Yeah, because of the drought once in a lifetime.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I might have felt the same way about the Red Sox in Game four if I had the money and could afford it. Yeah, maybe I thought that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Fritzy, if I knew they were gonna win the Bronco Packer of Broncos first Super Bowl with the LA beating four Super Bowl thirty two in San Diego, I would have dropped a few thousand dollars to be there for their very first win.
Speaker 2: Dylan, anything for you. It would probably be a musical act that's not around anymore. And what about you, Marvin u com Final four. Well, somebody's gonna payeventy five hundred dollars or more six figures to get into these games anyway. Guys, great to be here, great to be back. Enjoyed it. See you guys in six years, seven