Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: A true peak experience that at the moment of life when you want everything to come together, everything came together for this guy.
Speaker 3: I got thoughts in my head, I can't get him join and not the thing well I'm thinking about, can't get him out join, not the thing well I'm thinking about.
Speaker 1: Hello and welcome back to another Fire Drill podcast. You right again, Michael Bamberger, Alan Chipnuk here and it was. It was quite a week at oak Hill at the PGA Championship. Brooks Koepka he rides again as well. Fifth major championship. One hell of a performance. Michael, talk to me, what did you think about this week? What stands out from the one hundred and fifth PGA Championship.
Speaker 2: I mean, I loved it. We've been here before for different things. It's really you know, people get confused between Oakmand and Oakland Hills and oak Hill. There's actually three very different courses and three very different cities. I would actually say this is my favorite of the three. Actually maybe by a lot.
Speaker 1: That's a big statement.
Speaker 2: How about for a course that you would want to play from the appropriate tea Definitely Rochester, great town, wonderful people, and it was you know they of course they did get a little lucky with the weather, unlucky with Saturday. That can always happen. It was fantastic that they were able to get it in and just an absolutely compelling week of pure golf. Really, don't you think, Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pure is a good word. This golf course is pure. It was an old school test. I mean the thick rough, the the extreme greens. I thought it was great. And actually you think the weather on Saturday was unlucky, I thought it was fantastic. Like my dream week at a major is three sunny, nice days and one day of hell. That just pushes the players to the breaking point. You had guys out there flinging drivers, flipping off the cup. Jordan Speith of all people like Eddie Haskell dropped an f bomb. You know, that's what you want in your major championships, is you want to put extreme stress on the players, and that that certainly happened with the foul weather on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Thirty mile an hour wind is more fun than half an inch of rain or an inch of rain.
Speaker 1: It was, Yeah it did, and yeah, I mean the reborn o kill. You know, they took it back to the future. I thought it looked so cool that the square greens were really neat because they could put the pins in the corners. They were ultra tucked and some fun little fingers like the eighth hole today. And I love the sort of the berms, the raised up berms behind the greens that just framed them so beautifully when you're looking down the fairway or even on TV and it was I mean, you look at Brooks, Koepka, He's now conquered Oak Hill, Beth Page, Shinnacock. I mean, that's really macho. Those are three of the hardest courses in championship golf. You just what a resume, and of course five majors now he's These are the geniuses who have won five major championships Seth A Reno, by Astero's Lord, Byron Nelson and Peter Thompson, I mean all timers. I mean those are generational talents. Those are icons. And Brooks is right there and is not done. I mean he's motivated, he's healthy, he's fired up, and it's just so impressive to watch him because he keeps it very simple. You know, It's like every putt has the perfect speed, every every approach shot is pinned high, it's a bad drive. He just gets back in play like he really, he's he's he's reduced the game, the championship level, to the most basic parts. I mean, it's impressive. It's it's it's a reputable formula.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, his swing now looks exactly like it did when when he was at his prime. It doesn't look any different. Ale, it's a big strong man's golf swing like they all are today. You know. He takes it back and then he lets it go and he kind of holds on and it's nothing but fade shots. It's high and it's in play, and if it fades too much, you know, or if he pushes it, it's in the right rough. But otherwise it's in the in the faraway and in play. So he does make it very simple. It's sort of low, low stress golf the way the way he goes about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does. He does play a cut off the tee almost exclusively. But I think it was interesting because I was right behind the fourteenth tee. That's that incredible drivel Part four that just looks so you stand in the t box and it's such a panorama, and I love that tabletop green and I think it's just one of my favorite holes Championship golf all of a sudden, but he played a big high draw. He needed a extra carry and he just let that club go and uh to having you know, hit nothing but fades and then you come to a doer die hole and it leads down to one and to pull that shot off and put it up there on the green. I mean that that was macho. That that is real lot.
Speaker 2: Then where where did that shot pitch?
Speaker 1: I mean landed right at the center of the green. It just trickled about one step off, but nice flat, easy, easy tuput and I mean it was yeah, yeah, it was. It was one of those things it's hard to tell on TV sometimes of ball fight. It's one of the great things about being inside the ropes. And I was sitting right on the t box and just majestic and uh, you know, credit to Victor Hovlind. I mean he uh he played lights out for fifteen holes, like he didn't give in at all, and he even you know, Brooks came out. I tweeted it was like it reminded me of Secretary to the Belmont. You know, he is performing like an incredible machine like Birdie Birdie. Birdie opened up a three shot lead and looked like he might shoot fifty five and win this thing by one hundred and but Hoblin he never backed down and he just kept coming and he you know, he had he had got within one stroke and then had some bad luck in the fairway bunker. But even that was was cool. You know, Hobblin's making a mess in the sixteenth hole and kept had to wait out there for a long time in the faraway and then when it was his turn to hit, he's knocked the flag stick over and that was like it was a real exclamation point on the wind that gave him a four stroke lead. And it was a neat moment. I mean, it was sort of the signature shot and it just speaks to his kind of ruthlessness, like you you know, and Hoblin said, he's tough because he doesn't give you anything. He just doesn't give you anything. And it was a very it was a very relentless performance by Kepka.
Speaker 2: And it was made all the more impressive because of course he could have won at Augusta this year and he didn't have this Sunday that he wanted, wants you to have and really, had he gone the first two Sundays of the year, you know, not, it would have been Greg Norman like to be the you know, right there through fifty four whole and then sort of cough it up on Sunday. And you don't want your name associated with Greg Norman's name in that. In that sense, I think your insight about the t shot on fourteen is great. I feel like I've never seen him hit a draw shout of my life, so I'm really interested to hear this. And of course it brings to mind Nicholas in his prime, because you know, everyone you stuck by Nicholas's prime at Nicholas's distance in his prime, and it was he was way longer probably than you know, most everybody else. You know, a couple of weird odd exceptions. But what people don't know is Nicholas fade fade, fade, fade fade, and then when he had to turn it over, you know, thirteen and at August National in his day, for sure he did. And I actually did not know that Kopka could do that under that kind of pressure. But what you're describing is that you're and swing ten yards. In other words, the draw shot has a chance of carrying and the fade shot doesn't. And it's ballsy because if you hit into that bank, you don't know what's going to happen. Uh, you know, it could be a bogey. So it's impressive what.
Speaker 1: You're saying. Well, And and then another crucial moment was the hole before that, you know, really long par five. Nobody could reach it today Hovelin did with the birdie Kepkaz hit a couple less than precise shots. He's got this terrifying six or seven foot straight down the hill to save par to only lose one stroke. If he misses that putt, they're tied. This was to stay out in front and a putt like that, man, it has nothing to do with the technical proficiency, is just you just have to will it into the hole. It's just it's an x ray of the soul. And I mean, he just he just gutted that putt and and he kind of he swaggered of in this really neat empathy to there at thirteen. I mean, it was a super cool setting and the place went crazy when he made it. And the way you know, we Brooks the physicality, just the way he carries himself, the way he moves. You know, he has a presence which is really rare. And there was a little extra swager coming off with that green and it was like, okay, this is getting real. And then he went to the t and he hit that rope, and if you're hobbling, you're like, man, what do I have to do? Like I thought I had him, but I don't.
Speaker 2: He doesn't. He doesn't, you know, over seventy two holes, it's not enough. Fifty four holes. Yeah, albind can play with there. Habn's terrific and he's a great kid, and he's got a great attitude. But just for pure talent, you can just see it. If you watch it, you can see it.
Speaker 1: He's at it.
Speaker 2: He is at another level. I don't think we should go crazy just to one quick thought here. You know, you say pure will, I would say, it's right out of the Tiger school. It's actual technical perfection. But once the technical perfection is all organized your mind what you're actually going to do, then that just that hyper drive, like Jimie was talking about with us earlier today, the hyper drive of the elite athlete of like I deserve this. That does I think that does kick in and we've seen it, and that's one of the glories of golf. I've seen with seven, we've seen it, Tiger definitely, so with Nicholas Arnold and his day, this guy and that he kind of can't imagine Victor Hoblin, who's a really nice player and we'll have his chances and might win a major maybe someday, but you can't see that part in his game now. Justin Leonard weirdly had it, but he didn't have it for the rest of the game. You know, very few get everything, but the guys we're talking about, John Rom, Rory and Brooks Skopka. I would say, really, John Rom, you know, I mean for sure really do have it. Seems pretty much everything plus drive, I mean drive is that's really really it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, it's funny you mentioned Rory because he was he was obviously a big focus of this week. It's his in laws live in Rochester and he's a member at Oak Hill and it's just the perennial, you know, psychodrama of being a Rory maclroy fan. He just can't like he was there, but he wasn't quite there. I mean just a classic tie for seventh, kind of back door performance by Rory. And you know him and Brooks were tied with four majors for the last few years. And imagine when when Rory won at Valhalla, you know, he had four majors and Brooks had zero, and you could have gotten pretty long odds about who is going to get to five first, and Brooks did it. And it's like, if you it's it's it's not set in stone, it's not definitive. But when you talk about the best player of sort of the post Tiger era, I mean it's Rory, it's Brooks, it's Speed, and it's maybe Dustin or the four guys in the conversation. Rom could play his way in maybe Scheffler, But right now, when you look at the resumes and you got to give it to Brooks, I mean that the five majors is monumental. It's really it really separates him. And so he's, you know, you get to six, you're talking Trevino and Faldo. I mean, he's he's scaling, he's heading towards the Mount Rushmore of modern golfers here. If he can, he's basically of his last twenty two major championship. He's won five of them, you know, basically that's basically one a year, and so if he can.
Speaker 2: And two he sort of semi gave in, two semi gave away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, he's I mean, no one wins them all except for Tiger. But you know, Brooks is now four for five converting fifty four hole leads at the majors. You know, he's he's a closer, and it's gonna be fun to see where he goes from here because he's clearly motivated and fired up. And you know, swing coach Claude Harmon said to me, you know, this is Koepka two point zero, and it's like he had all his injuries, he's kind of re found himself. He's he's made the jump to live. His wife's pregnant, he's married, Like he's really in a different place as a golfer, as a human and completely settled and healthy and hungry. So this is a big this is a big one.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to something here because I haven't heard you on this. We haven't had a chance to really talk since since it all wrapped up. What's your emotional response as someone who loves golf and writes about golf and is writing a book about live you you've you've write about this guy a long time. You know, you're probably when he was before what his first major? Maybe you know you went deep with this guy. What is your emotional response to him winning? And I and I could add the part that you know that I'm thinking of, which is his handling of that situation at Augusta National on the on the fifteenth pole when the caddy clearly, clearly, clearly said that to Carrie Woodland's caddy that his managers hit.
Speaker 1: Five or yeah, that was a missed opportunity for Brooks to do something really special. He could have elevated himself into the Bobby Jones category of sportsmanship if he had called that penalty on himself. And I think you know, for him, he's he obviously refers back to team sports as his frame of reference. And I think he took that like, hey, man, you know, no one in Major League Baseball or then be, no one calls a penalty on themselves. They don't, they don't tip off the ref they stepped out of bounds. And I think he felt like his little ticky tack he wasn't totally involved, whether he believe the glove hand or not. And but it was a missed opportunity. I mean, Bobby Jones, you know, called penalties on himself and back to back us opens in the twenties and we're the nineteen twenties, we're still talking about it, you know, his I think it would have been amazing if Brooks had done it. But setting that aside, and we'll come I want to hear your thoughts on that. We'll come back to that for you. But I think I think this was this was a really impactful victory. The larger landscape, you know, is this this ongoing battle between the tour and Live Golf. This is meaningful. I mean that Live Golf now has has two of the reigning major championship winners with Brooks and and Cam Smith. It looks like Brooks is gonna is gonna be the alpha of the sport here for a while, and so it definitely recalibrates things. And he could also be the bridge because he's gonna play his way onto the Ryder Cup team just through points. They're not gonna be able to keep him off of it, and uh, that opens the door to maybe pick Dustin as you know who he could play his way on through points as well, but he's not. He has been doing it in the majors and that that would that would sort of tear down the wall a little bit. And you know, Brooks has not talked any trash in this, in this battle between the tours. He's kept a low profile and he was not a party to the lawsuits. You know, he has not stirred it up. He's not been like a Poulter or a Westwood or a Garcia. He just kind of kept his head down. He made a decision for him that he thought was best, but he hasn't been trying to stick it to the man. And so I think his credibility as as a human, but especially as a player, you know, he could he could he could be a bridge to help, you know, get in trying to reunify the sport in some way. And so I think it's a huge victory for him his place in the pantheon, but also for the what's happening in this in the sport. I was rooting for him because it's obviously good for the book, but I also just think Brooks is he's this cool I mean, there's just something about him. He has a mystique, and I think there's a there's there's something magnetic about him that that attracts casual fans. Uh. And you know, he's his wife has a very high profile on social media. She kind of adds a little star dust to their whole their whole life. And he's alviously, he's a good looking guy. He's got the Nike deal. You know, they'll they'll they'll get a lot of mileage out of this. So I think I think it's really impactful. So let's talk about your thoughts, because.
Speaker 2: Just before, let me ask this because everyone thinks they know, but you might know more than others. To what degree did he join live so that his brother could could make a living playing professional golf? And for those who don't know Chase Keepka, it is what is Chase Keopka's live status right now? Alan?
Speaker 1: For those who don't know, Yeah, I mean he's they're on he he's they're on the same team. He has to finish. If you anyone who finished in the top twenty four of their money list this year is guaranteed a spot next year. But Brooks, being the captain of the team can more or less pick anybody they want, anybody he wants, and Chase is a really sweet kid. Everyone loves him. Like I would say that Chase is going to be on Live as long as his brother is on Live. And so that's for for a young playerho's never been able to find his footing on any major tour, it's a huge deal. And you know Brooks loves his brother, and that that was I equate it to. You see this in college basketball where there's an incredible prospect and a score hires the kid's dad as an assistant coach so they can get That's kind of what Lived did with with Chase. They signed up Chase first. That was an inducement to make sure Brooks came over. And you know, there's something sweet about it. I mean, I think that was definitely a factor in Brooks's decision. Like he's kind of like, I'm gonna be fine either way, but I can set my brother up for life as a golfer. And you know, they they won one in uh in Jedda last year. They won as a team, and Brooks had promised Chase, you would buy him a new car if they if they won, the team element happens to be a lime green Lamborghini because that's how they roll in the Koepka family, and I live golf. But you know that that was a big deal for them, like he was. I think Brooks was more excited about the team victory than his own individual one because they had this whole little thing with his brother. So it's kind of a.
Speaker 2: Cute story that Chase Koepka looks like a Honda Civic driver exactly.
Speaker 1: I know it's so great, But Michael, you've written about this, you've talked about it, But why why is it so fundamental to you what happened in the in the fifteenth fairway to Gusta National.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just so basic. If you don't play golf by the rules, the whole thing follows apart. It's been said a million times and it is a rule of golf. People who I don't want to be critical, people who think about the game differently than I am, not saying I quote think about the game the right way. But there's there's a reason why you're not allowed to share what the robo claus advice, which is actually information about the club that you just hit. There's a reason why there's lots of reasons why. They all make sense if you start to think about them. But if you're giving information in your group and another group's not, it's not a team sport, it's an individual sport. So if you're if information is being exchanged in your group, then it's not being changed in another group. It puts you at an unfair It puts you at a the other group has an unfair disadvantage. The idea of the rules of officer to create a level playing field. It was so obvious to everybody that the caddy said to the other caddy that Kepkaz caddy said to Woodland's caddy that he hit a fiburn the rule books. So some might say, oh, but that's just the caddy, it wasn't the player, But that's not what the rule book says. So if you're not going to simply go by what the rule book says, you're kind of really just sort of kissing off something that's actually at the very core of the game. And it would have been just so great for him to say, yeah, I didn't know what the caddy was doing. He's a great caddy, but he crossed the line. There other guys do it, but the fact is nobody should do it. That's really what should have been said, in my opinion, I don't like to use the word should. But of course that's not what happened. What very likely happen, and I'm not saying I know what happened because I don't, is that they went in, they watched the tape and they said, yeah, what you think you saw isn't actually what happened. But we know what happened because we saw it. So I think he really hurt the game. I know it a ghosta national there was no one who It's hard to imagine someone was rooting for brooks Kopka to win that Masters, So by extension, it was hard for me, even though I think he's an impressive golfer. Of course physically I find him to be an impressive person. I like watching him on the range. I like the way he carries himself. I like his no bullshit quality. But real no bullshit quality is to stand up and say, yeah, something went wrong there, to give me the two shots I deserve him. That would have been just appropriate, not even like great, just appropriate really, So when he didn't do that, it just makes me think very differently about him. And actually I can feel even in me this whole notion of everybody loves the winner, because like the area was interviewing, you know, the way I was in a group interviewing the Ricky that his caddy afterwards and kept as impressive in victory. People love a winner. But the fact is he kind of hurt golf actually in a significant in a significant way, because it's another it's another pin in the value system of what makes golf golf in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, probably the best thing that ever happened to Brooks Cupic was not winning that Masters, because when Rom took the green jacket, that kind of faded away and it became a one day story and something that followed him for the rest of his life. But it's and it's interesting that Augusta. I almost feel like they could have imposed the penalty. They have the power to do that, but it was almost like, we're gonna leave this up to you. Do you want to be Bobby Jones or not that it was almost like they just it was a test. But I love that you're so passionate about this because everyone else has already moved on. But It's part of what makes me who you are, Michael is you care so deeply and these things stick with you. So I think it's valid. It's worth discussing it. It did reveal a certain value system for the people involved. And you know, it's like, it's not like Brooks, It's not an issue of cheating. It was more it was more of an issue of personal responsibility, right, Like, this was a moment to do something really special and the moment passed.
Speaker 2: Cheating sort of implies a willful attempt to gain an advantage. But in the end of the day, he did get the advantage because he didn't get the two shots, and of course he desperately needed those two shots. Believe me, if I if the penalty had been well, this is your warning, but next time you're going to get the two shots. He said, Okay, accept the warning.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, I don't think people honestly care what I think. I mean, not personally what I think. But I think this whole thing about oh, you're so into the rules. Anybody who was like, oh you're so into the rules, they just see golf differently. They and so it's kind of hard, you know, it's kind of like where the political divide is now in this country. It's like it's so hard to talk to somebody who has differing different politics than you do. Everyone's so hardened in their positions. But to me, this is what golf is. It is what makes golf special. And what you said, Alan, I believe is correct. Like Augusta does have a tradition of saying, let's see if you'll just do the right thing on your own, we don't want to force you into it. They do have Aerian tradition doing that.
Speaker 1: Well. The interesting thing is so often the player doesn't do the right thing. I mean, tigers drop in twenty thirty and he could have decued himself, but he just they kind of gave him an out, you know, Ernie with the stacked wood one hundred yards into the forest like you took that free drop and a heart beat. It's the players, you know that they're always pressing advantage, the pressure of the masters, the desire to win. It is run so deep, it's it is revealing in those moments. But let's let's talk about what was undoubtedly a feel good story this week, which is Michael Block, who You're You're typing about for firepay Collective dot com this evening. I mean, the guy didn't make a birdie today, and somehow we stole the show, Like, what was your read on on this character?
Speaker 2: He didn't make a birdie, but he made an eagle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he made an I know it was pretty you could you hear it?
Speaker 2: Alan?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah? Yeah yeah. Where where were you were you on? No, it was he was more groups ahead. We were, I think on twelve, so we were pretty geographically a little far away, but it was like it was a It was definitely it was. It was not a bird you roar. It wasn't even really an It wasn't even even like a lot. It was something unique and if any other player in the field had made that, he said, it wouldn't have been as loud. But there was something cathartic about Block doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean you were a thousand yards away and you could hear oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: People are looking each other raising their eyebrows like wow, something just happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was loud. I talked to a guy who was on the tea spectator, guy who's been to Augusta a lot, who's heard ones at twelve and sixteen at Augusta, and he said that this was as loud as anything he's ever heard at Augusta. But anyway, on the chance that anybody who is listening hasn't heard Michael Block, a true club pro and a public course in southern California was between he's been playing his bottom of first off. You know, for those who don't know, I think most do Twenty club pros get to play in the PGA Championship. It's put on by the association, the Professional Golfers Association America. It used to be forty before that, it was way more than that. Now it sounded twenty club pros what the US what what amateur golf is to the masters, and what sectional guys who play their way in in the US is to the US Open. The club pro is to the PJA Championship, fundamental part of the game. But there were many years when no clip pro he makes the cut. Now you got a club pro who's playing with Rory McElroy, you know, fighting for like a top fifteen position in the in the final round of a really difficult golf course, and this guy hits it way shorter. This is not hyperbolic than Alan chipnook and by the way, the guy's forty six. The guy's forty six swings slow anyway. He was between a chipping a six iron and as his guy he told me chipping his six iron and a driving range seven iron. He hit the driving seven ron on the fly into the back of the cup. Now, often when you hit a when you hit a driving range seven iron and towerything into the back of the cup, it will not go in the hall because a lot can go wrong. By everything went right, because everything went right, because everything was going right. And he seems like an absolutely great guy, is kat He seems like an absolute great guy. He's playing next week in colonially, just got a special exemption sponsors exemption excuse me into the Colonial Tournament next week. So it's absolutely fabulous for golf to see this happen, because this is really what this particular championship is all about, but really really what golf is all about, you know part of it. By that, I mean the dream machine of golf that Tom Layman had, you know, in his thirties, finally starting to playing Hogan in his thirties, finally starting to play good golf. Just Jack Fleck against Hogan. I mean, there's been many examples over the years of this guy having, you know what, Michael Murphy Cold in Golf in the Kingdom, a true peak experience that at the moment of life when you want everything to come together, everything came together for this guy.
Speaker 1: And he also he radiated so much gratitude. He was such a fun character and he let people in. You know, a club plow, a club pro playing that well is is a cool story. But it must have had nearly the traction if he wasn't. He was kind of a ham. He was loving the attention, he was playing to the crowd. He was just spooning up the whole thing and it was fun. It made it made it fun for everybody because you could really feel what he was feeling. You know, he kind of he's a very expressive, emotive personality and and today you know he was there was so much at stake, like he was never gonna win the tournament. That was too big an ask. But if you could finish top fifteen, he earns an automatic invitation back to the PGA Championship next year. Top ten would have got him into a PGA Torvet. Top four get to Itto the Masters. And then there's the actual money. You know, I don't know if the guy's salaries about one hundred thousand dollars one hundred and twenty, you know, which doesn't go very far in California. And you know, if you fit his top ten, you're gonna make half a million here, like actual life changing money. That term gets thrown around a lot, but in this case it really could be. And and so he was struggling out there. He hadn't made a birdie, and he was he was fighting so hard and getting up and down, and then to make that ace was so cathartic, and that's really what pushed him into the top fifteen and punched his ticket to the PGA next year. And so it was it was a neat moment, and he you know, he really was one of the stars. And it was cute to see Rory who was and his caddie were both, you know, so into it and the hugs and the tears, and it's it's the golf is funny because you know, I'm a huge basketball fan, but I can I can watch him big playoffs and know that I could never step out on the court and hang with those guys, right i'd be a joke. But for this guy to walk out of the pro shop and to be inside the ropes like it was, it was really everyone was living vicariously through him, and it was it was special. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there have been there have been club pros who play at a really high level, you know, almost like a tour level, But this guy isn't really one of them, you know, from what I could see. He pitches it and chips it and puts beautifully, but he's so short, you know, he's just I know, Rory's really long. But Rory was literally forty fifty yards best this guy. You know, at least twenty yards best this guy.
Speaker 1: So I think like seventy I think Rory was seventy yards in front of him.
Speaker 2: But he was, Oh he happy with some of the drugs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, But this is a good golf course because hitting in the ferry was such a big advantage. And he is this guy Block is really, i mean really precise with his irons and his hybrids, and I mean he's dangerous. At Colonial you went, you at Quail Hollow, we'd have no chance, or one of these courses that really if you can fly at three ten it's cool. Colonial is cool. I mean, if he could ride this way for another week, who knows. I mean, I'm sure he's exhausted. But like of all the courses on tour, you know, a Colonial or a pebble or like a you know, a whilea something like that, there's only a handful that a guy that as short as him it could even be in the conversation. So yeah, it was talking about a star. I mean, he just he was.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. I mean, to anyone who would be so cheap as to say that there should be fewer than twenty club pros and this thing, I mean, I can't even begin to tell you how much I disagree with that. I know, And forty probably was too many because you had even forty had you had years or you know, maybe one or two or making the cut and they were finishing at the very bottom. But twenty is a good number.
Speaker 1: There's one hundred and thirty six tour players in here. If you're not one of the one hundred and thirty six best guys, we can do without you, no offense to whoever was one hundred and thirty seventh, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, but there's there's myriad ways you can play your way into this, and if you haven't, I think you forfeit the right to complain about it. So, yeah, it was. It was, and you know we should we should acknowledge our calling. Matt Chanella. He just put out this week a podcast about the club pro crisis, because it's really a job, that's how. It's very demanding, and a lot of courses and clubs are having trouble attracting and retaining talent. And you know, Matt did a tremendous job pulling a lot of different voices together, Sethwa who runs a PG of America, butch Harmon, a bunch of others and it's really interesting and insightful and obviously timely. Part two will come out next week on Tuesday, And I would encourage anyone who was sort of charmed by by Michael Block to listen to these podcasts because it probably a lot of us think, oh man, the club pro job would be so cool. All you do is hang out and drink beer with your members, and you go and play Skins games and you get to hit balls for two hours on your lunch and happy that if it was ever like that, it's not like that anymore. It's a tough it's a tough job.
Speaker 2: Most people know. It's nothing like that. It's get there, you know, it's rise and be there at sunset, and if the kid doesn't show up, you're sweeping the cart burn because nobody else will do it. I think they're low wages, tough jobs. As Michael Block was saying, six hundred bosses. The accountant thinks he's an agronomist, and the lawyer thinks he's a chef.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: At the very yeah, he was funny as hell, but he really he really knows golf in ways that others don't. So yeah, they bring.
Speaker 1: A lot to it.
Speaker 2: This is a weird kind of nod. I don't even know if it was wilful. But not to the PG America And okay, well, first one quick, not to Carrie Haig, who sets up the courses for the PG of America. It's been said many times, it really is true. This is how you set up a golf course. It was perfect. The part fives are perfect, Part three is perfect. The green speed was just right, the rough was just right, the fairly with was just right, the tea times, the groupings or the pairings. Everything made sense. So you can say about the Page America every year, but this year especially, but this was the thing, and Allan and I commented a few times there was a co mingling of fan and player and caddy and reporters. They in the parking lot around the clubhouse out on the golf course. In recent years, in part because of the security, which is an underspendable thing, everyone's been sort of cordoned off in like some years literally if you want to get a you know, if a kid wants to get an autograph, there's like a fence or something. And this wasn't like this. So it was much looser, kind of but not disorganized, but appropriately loose, and it was great. It was great for us as reporters, but beyond us, I think it was great for fans. They could be just leaving and there were the players walking to their cars and it's kind of like it just sort of makes the player in a regular human being, which of course he is, except for his skill.
Speaker 1: It was so refreshing coming out of a gust or everything so up tight and regimented. It was a freewheeling element to this, and there was a couple of times today, following the last group where they just let the fans walk down the fairway behind the players, you know, and it was it was orderly, it never got crazy, and it was neat. I agree. And you look at Brooks like he made he made seven birdies today like this course rewarded good shots, but he also made four bogies. If you got out of position, you hit a bad shot, then you were punished severely. And that's cool. I mean, you don't want to you don't want to course so hard that the guys can't make birdies and it's flawed, but you don't want you don't want it to be a pushover, like it's a hard balance to strike. It really is. And as you said, they nailed it this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, the ordinary thing can't be expected to know this sort of thing. But the stakes are so high now with everything in life, it seems so. The pat of America made a big decision. Their hand was forced to some degree by the PJ Tour to move their championship from August to May, and in so doing they might algically said, well then we can't. Then we already have a date for Rochester for okill but we're just going to have to change it because the weather is too unpredictable, which it is. But they rolled the dice and it worked out beautifully. But there's a lot of that in golf. Has been said many times. It isn't after sport. It is unpredictable. But it makes you think that you could come back here. Maybe if you hadn't one week later and May it would be even even more maybe predictable, and it wouldn't be graduation season with such a stress on the on the hotels. But well, like I said, when it works since you get to Memorial Day. But the point being is that they rolled the dice. It takes balls to do it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Pipabaqua was the CEO of the PGF Americ at the time, and and and he he okay, the idea approved the idea of of of even when switching to me in the first place, I was dubious about it. I think it's working out well. And then sethwell, the current CEO, you know, kept it in place, and hats off to them. You know that I think this organization because it has a sort of fussy history. A lot of it dates back to you know, the Caucasian only clothes and other things. But they are really trying hard, and I'm sure Matt got into this sentence podcast. They are really trying hard to modernize and just make the game accessible to really anybody who wants to play it. And that's a really really I mean, if you love golf like we do, that's a really important function. And I'm glad to see the PGA of America, the organization and their championship, you know, really have a week to celebrate what they do, because it was it was great. It was a great week of golf. Even if I'm in Biflin Belt the lead, the winner, it was terrific.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I root for the pg of America. There's some of the governing bodies, some of the some of the institutions I root against just instinctively, But the pH of America, like they try hard. You know, it's it's it's not they have two of the five biggest events professional golf, including the Ryder Cup, but it's not what they do, you know, fifty one or fifty fifty weeks a year, and so there's always a little free wheeling element to these things, and it's things are a little loose to goosey, but it makes it more fun and I think it sets the tone for the whole week. So I agree it was fantastic. But before we go, just a couple of quick shoutouts on the leader board. We should recognize Bryson Deshambo back from the dead. I mean he he had four solid rounds, finished tied for fourth, and we had some fun interactions. I know you you did. You were impressed by Bryson's normalcy and humanity.
Speaker 2: I don't know what they did with him, I know, I even saying about that of you. Of late, Allan's had a thing here lately for the listener. Oh, Michael, you take the bed with you know the facility on suite Michael, you choose the restaurant, like I talk to myfe Christine. I don't know what they've done with Alan shitnuck.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'm trying to be accommodating.
Speaker 2: I don't know what they did with this Bryce and d Chambeau. But he went from nutjob. And I'm not saying that in a literal way, So please don't assume me if you've got Patrick Reid's lure from nutjob to like totally saying human being. Like everything you said this week you could understand. There was no hieroglyphics or foreign language or you know, Archimedes principles. It was just golf and it was kind of neat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And Scottie Seffler, I mean it seems like he played terrible yesterday and you wound up finishing the tide for second. Like I think this is thirteen straight top tens for Skyty Scheffler, the second longest streak the sight of Tiger Woods, and you know in the last whatever quarter century.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this before we click off here, what this really is this week is a even like it feels like a feel good week, and it is and it was. But in terms of the geopolitics of golf, which I think people are bored of talking about, but it is a real thing. It complicates golf. You have to live golfer win a major, you can put to rest the argument, oh they can't. You know, there are fifty four hole golfers now, they're not going to win seventy two. It complicates Ryder Cup golf. It complicates the Deaton or not the daytape, the war really between the PGA Tour nobody wants war for too long you get tired of it. He kills people. What do you think this tournament means in the short long term? In other words, this year, Ryder Cup, going into next year, lawsuits and the rest, this particular their PJA Championship with this Live Golf winner, what do you think it means for the future of the of the fight between the PJ Tour and Live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have a lot have to see how it plays out. I feel like the stronger the position that Live is in, the more likely the tour is to compromise and the tour. The tour is holding a hard line. You know, they have to because otherwise they'll lose more players. So they they've been hard asses all the way through, and I understand why it makes business sense. But you know, if Live is struggling, if if they're not, if they're their players aren't playing well, if they're if they're not getting world ranking points, then then there's the tour can just keep going and feel like they can win this war of attrition and they can produce. They can pick up the best players come out of college and this and that. But if Live is coming from a position to strength I think it makes a compromise more likely, and I think ultimately compromises what's going to what you want and what a lot of golf fans want where we can just kind of move on from this. So I think the more these guys play well the majors, the more that they assert themselves, I think that brings the PJ Tour to the table, not imminently, but just philosophically, Like this is you know, j J. Monha must have heartburn tonight because I mean he went to Brooks Kepka's wedding last June, like they were clothed, and Brooks made a business decision and now he's return to the front rakes of the game. And it doesn't serve the pgs or not to have access to Brooks Koepka, you know, it really doesn't. It's a huge loss as they're trying to attract sponsors and if you're sponsored an event and you're like my favorite guys, and I mean to me, the players I enjoy watching most in golf are Cam Smith, Dustin Johnson, Phil Micholson, Jordan Spieth, Scotti Scheffler. But I would say live as three of the five guys I think are the most fun to watch, and you know, if you're a tournament director, you want those guys in field, and now you have Brooks. It's just like, I think that this is a setback for the tour, but that makes it more helpful for the big picture. That's my feeling. But you know there's ebbs and flows, but certainly you know the live guys brought the heat at Augusta. You know you have Brooks finishes fourth here, Bryson's fourth, Cam Smith is ninth, Mido Pereira is eighteen. Patrick reiders on the board for a long time. He just fell off. But it's not like only one guy that's carrying the flag. I mean they've there. Brooks has been the keynote player, but there's other guys who are who are making making a run. So this this definitely, as you say, complicates things, but it might also clarify. Like, Okay, if you're Jay Wantaghan and you're and you're Rory and you're Tiger, you know the guys were setting policy. Like it's like what are we doing here? Like we've we we we've reshaped the tour, We've made it more attractive where all the top guys are getting paid, but we're missing out on so many players that folks care about, and so I think this could hasten some sort of some sort of larger conversation. But we're still a long way from an actual compromise. But it's got to start with the desire to make it so, and I think this helps achieve that well. I think not only has this been an excellent podcast, but I'm going to miss the last bus out of here, so I got to go. People are backing up. I'm getting the stink guy from the security guys. But Michael, this is so fun. I missed podcasting with you, and I enjoyed our week together. I can't wait to read your story on mister Block. I'm writing about Brooks and Hoveland and what it all means. So that'll be all over Firepit Collective dot com. Hope you guys check those stories out. Thanks for listening. We appreciate your fidelity. Michaelot will be at the US Open and points in between. So for Michael Bamberger, this is Alan ship Nike. This was a fire drill podcast and I appreciate you listening. That's the end.
Speaker 3: I'm that big and I played the wind made a fortune when my ship came. Now, I ran the table, never thought I could fall down.
Speaker 2: The winter time hit me like a cannon. The ball.
Speaker 3: And now I can't shake this losing streak. Every road I take is a dead end street. I got thoughts in my head, can't get them out, trying not to think what I'm thinking about. I've got thoughts in my head. I can't get them out, trying not to think what I'm thinking about.