Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Past Podcast. Today was day three of training camp for the Ravens, and after practice, we had the chance to hear from Special teams coordinator Chris Horton, defensive coordinator Mike McDonald, and offensive coordinator Todd Monkin. Let's first start things off with Special teams Coordinator Chris Horton.
Speaker 2: Good to see everyone today.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you, guys, it was a warm one, but it's it feels good to be back. We're three days in, our guys are out here, we're working hard and we're just trying to get We're just trying to ramp this thing up and build on the things every day. I'll tell you this, Tomorrow is Saturday. It's one of my favorite days to go down to the stadium and practice because it gives us an opportunity to just get that get that fill in the stadium. The fans will be in there, they'll be they'll be screaming and yelling. It'll be loud, but it'll kind of give us that early game fell before we actually get to it. So I'm looking forward to it just to get our guys in there and just having some fun and just have that time with our fans because they're the best in the business with questions.
Speaker 4: That things going with the jam start coach from number days.
Speaker 3: Oh, you know, Tyler's Tyler's coming here. He's done a great job. This guy, this guy's a pro. He's played a lot of football. I think when when what happened with Nick, Randy and I, along with with Harve's and George h we.
Speaker 2: Kind of got together.
Speaker 3: We got on the phone and we just tried to figure out who was out there and let's just try to get the best guy.
Speaker 2: Here that we think, uh, fits what we do well.
Speaker 3: And Tyler's come in the past three days and he's done a really good job for us.
Speaker 5: What do you see from today in terms of the internet turn and he's an actual cadidate for that job.
Speaker 2: You know what, Day's done a good job.
Speaker 3: He's got natural ball skills, he's got natural ability to run after the catch. And then you know, it's like it's like anything else. If a guy, if a guy can help us at any at anywhere, any position on the field, We're gonna give those guys an opportunity.
Speaker 2: I look forward to seeing what he can do.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But it's like all the guys.
Speaker 3: We've got a lot of guys back there this year, and we're looking forward to seeing what all those guys do.
Speaker 2: How do you guys make decisions on your starters? Play special?
Speaker 3: You know, that just comes down. It comes down from the top. And whoever we got, whoever we got out there, we just kind of let him roll.
Speaker 2: We will play some of our guys. I feel like, because.
Speaker 3: You know, we got some new guys, we'll try to fit those pieces together and we'll just work from there. And whoever's available is available, whoever's not available, we just deal with it. It's just part of our job, is what we do. But that's okay because it gives another another guy, a young guy, an opportunity to.
Speaker 2: Have his moment. And let's figure out where that young guy might be.
Speaker 6: Because it seems like to make a roster, it's gonna need the mission field to contribute on special teams. What have you seen from him?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you one thing, Keaton, He's done a good job this. This dude could flat out run that. That's a that's a plus. Once we get the pads on and we start getting into a lot more team things, I'll try to put him in places where I think it fits his game.
Speaker 2: I don't think he'll he'll.
Speaker 3: Have a problem with carrying the ball, running the ball, doing some kick returning for us. We're trying to develop him in that punt return aspect as well. I'm just trying to give every guy every opportunity to make this football team.
Speaker 2: So but as far as what he's.
Speaker 3: Done so far since this spring, man he's heading him in the on the right track's letter ship from staffer teams.
Speaker 2: That seems like spelling him in the league.
Speaker 3: So the leader, you know, as far as leaders, you know, we got Justice Hill, we got Keivon, we got guys that have played a lot of ball for us, and you pointed out Malie Harrison in his fourth year's time. You know, he's he's been a great job. He's done a great job for us. Gino has done a great job. And it's it's crazy because we've had a lot of veteran leadership guys in their eighth and ninth year, well or our true leaders they're guys in their fourth and fifth year. And these guys have done a good job since they since they've gotten here, and we're just gonna continue to push them and we kind of let those guys lead on there on the court. Not everybody's gonna be a vocal leader. Some guys just go out there and they just work, work, work, work, and then the young guys get a chance to see what that looks like.
Speaker 2: Chris, we expected the biggest game, Oh, the biggest game.
Speaker 3: I expect it would be a lot better in every area than where he was last year.
Speaker 2: You know, year one. Uh, he was a rookie.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a lot, it's antsy and things like that. But this guy's he's improving.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: We we're gonna expect him to hit the balls that we want hit, and we expect to be pretty good.
Speaker 3: In that plus fifty area this year, where we maybe we didn't do so well every game towards the end of the year, we got better at that. So we're just expecting him to kind of continue that track.
Speaker 6: Christ out the fellers here who are in full sleeves, what kind of messageary trying to say what we're trying to do.
Speaker 2: I think I'm not. I'm not trying to send any message.
Speaker 3: I'm the same guy every day I've been no matter whether it's hot cold, it don't matter to me, man, I'm gonna be wearing the same outfit, So it's all good.
Speaker 2: Why do you do that?
Speaker 3: It's just just what I do. It's just what I've always done, you know what I'm saying. I don't feel like I need to change. There's no reason to change. I haven't fallen out yet, right, So we're gonna go keep it going.
Speaker 6: Chris, Chris part We've already for any reaction, but to the kickoff.
Speaker 4: The rules change with the farcastic.
Speaker 3: Career, and it's on that, you know, I kind of I kind of hit on that and during the spring. Uh, but you know it is. It's gonna be what it's gonna be. Right, We're gonna adjust and adapt to whatever those rules may be.
Speaker 2: We'll have a plan for how we want to handle the in game situation stuff. It'll be it'll be fine. We'll just roll with it. We'll refort no, but it's okay. It's in.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna have to roll with it and we're gonna we feel like we're gonna be okay.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. That was Special teams coordinator Chris Horton talking to the media after practice. Now let's hear from defensive coordinator Mike McDonald.
Speaker 8: All Right, appreciate you guys sticking around now, but great three days so far and guys are locked in working hard today.
Speaker 4: Us a little hot, but we welcome it. It's gonna make us better.
Speaker 8: So, uh just take it one day at a time and we're rolling so good to see everybody, and uh take any questions, might make.
Speaker 6: The tempo on the lock back and something you guys, but using anyway.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's great. I mean there's a lot of things going on with that one.
Speaker 8: Just get you in shape and then it makes you think when you know, it's easy to do it when it's seventy degrees inside and make calls and things like that and walk throughs, but when things are moving fast and you're breathing, you got to focus and lock in.
Speaker 4: That's it's gonna pay dividends for us, Like.
Speaker 3: You've got I can tie us out it outside linebacker and obviously the talks with.
Speaker 9: Bambi organ outside this gas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, having ninety ninety ninety out via audi show us and then to pick up cops responsibility to.
Speaker 8: Get highest Uh yeah, maybe just you know, just because Tius isn't having some of those snaps, but those are gonna be things that we're gonna ask all of our edge guys to do. So really it's a function of a number of snaps right now. But they're attacking it, man, I mean for being pass rushers, you know, they want to know everything and that's that's all you can ask for. And there's things that you know, will you know, mess up from from time to time, but they're not.
Speaker 4: Air repeaters, and uh, it's just a great attitude right now. So they're attacking it.
Speaker 10: Mi, Kyle's go and Hamilton doing kind of his new n ressperens here.
Speaker 4: You know, Kyle, Kyle's had a great three days.
Speaker 8: I mean really, you know, we asked our guys back there to have production on the football, and he's been he's been there. You know, the tempo right now prevents us from really making plays on the ball, but uh, in games, I think you're gonna be able to see that he's going to be able to get back there. And I think you see his range during practice, so uh, the game's sawing down for him for sure. He's taken He's taking a definitely a commanding presence back there and making calls. So very pleased where he's at, Like where I'm like, yeah, I think we got that question in the spring.
Speaker 4: It's a great question.
Speaker 8: It's hard, you know, I mean you're looking right now, we're looking for technique, effort, execution, that sort of thing in terms of the pass rush, balancing the rush, executing the moves, that sort of thing. But in terms of finishing is just you kind of leave that to when the pads come on and you know, when we see you know, get the reps in preseason. So that's a process that will you know, evaluate as time comes along we're away and or job over from Provost and out beoute officials Chuck Smith, the growth, Yeah, I just think got a great spirit right now and they're very enthusiastic about what we're trying to get him to do.
Speaker 4: So just their energy.
Speaker 8: You know, again, the tempo prevents you from from evaluating the finish of the pass rush. So the emphasis we're making is more of a process. How's your get off, what moves are you throwing? How do you communicate the rush everybody? How do you communicate the line calls on early downs those types of things, And they're doing a great job.
Speaker 10: Does the energy and the top against you, a job that reminds you of his mission days.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, that's just him, you know. So it's easy. But it's great to have that personality around. We've got a lot of great people. We got to get a lot of great guys with energy, and you know, we we encourage people's personalities to come to know that's coming straight from John and I think that speaks to our culture here, so we embrace it, you know, I think it makes us better.
Speaker 5: Jaalen Armor Davis make a couple of plays on the ball the last couple of days, Brandon Stevens playing well, just what do you see it from your cornerback competition kind of in those you know, beyond the starters.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Another thing. Another guy like Jalen, you know, after.
Speaker 8: Last year had a little bit of adversity. I think he's in a great place mentally. You know, he's really he's really attacking every day and that's that's a message to him, is hey, take it one day at a time, let's attack it. There's great opportunity out there and let's go see if you can earn a job.
Speaker 4: You know, So it goes for the whole secondary.
Speaker 8: I mean, right now we've got some got some stalwarts pieces in there, but there's a lot of opportunity as well for the guys that uh, you know we just brought along and you know, that's all we're asking to do is just embrace it and get after it when they get out there. And I think I think you're seeing the unit come together over time.
Speaker 4: What's been your impression of the offense is un and starts show you can say that again.
Speaker 2: What's been your impression of the offense just being and starts?
Speaker 8: So from the other time, Well, yeah, so we went through it last year, you know, in an installation process, so shoot, you can see it every day.
Speaker 4: I mean, execution is really crisp. You know, there's an energy.
Speaker 8: Uh, formations are you know, they they're giving us, give us a lot of looks, a lot of things we have to talk about and defend after each practice. So uh, you know Iron Sharpen's Iron. I think I think we're feeling that on a daily basis, like one of the things that.
Speaker 6: Wants to get on off as an explosive plays.
Speaker 4: You guys are working consistent at times the last year.
Speaker 6: With the pass and stuff. If you like what you've seen so far with kind of keeping a lid on about the other passes so far.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, that's a huge emphasis for us is we want to take the ball away and we want to limit explosives. So so far we've done a good job of that, you know, but it's a again, one is too many, so you're always you're always attacking and always trying to stay ahead.
Speaker 4: Play the play is off, the play is that.
Speaker 8: Sort of thing, and making sure our execution is on point. But up to this point, I mean, the best thing I can say is each day has been a continual improvement. And there's things that you know, we need to we need to fix, so we'll go attack those things.
Speaker 4: But right now, you know, I think we're on the.
Speaker 7: Right track.
Speaker 8: Here.
Speaker 4: All off season, yeah, need to shoot.
Speaker 8: He's obviously an incredible player and great personalities and he's he's one of our top leaders. So and to his credit, he was here just like we talked about in the offseason, so and guys gravitate towards him and shoot, it's just fun to talk football with the guy. I mean, he wants to talk about what we're seeing. He talks about how what he sees this has a constant communication about what we're asking him to do, how he sees it, and just building how we want to play things. And obviously, you know, if he sees the same way we see it, then we're going to be in a good spot.
Speaker 4: Don't you have a lot of versatile defensive backs.
Speaker 9: In your secondary right now?
Speaker 4: How do you balance kind.
Speaker 5: Of pushing their boundaries and single roles they can play well also getting them ready for the roles that you envisioned them kind of in full time.
Speaker 4: During the season. Yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 8: You know, I don't know if I have the right answer for you, you know, I mean, uh, right now, I think we're just trying to see who we have and where, and then I think, as you say, as training camp comes along and those and those those battles start to get settled, you know, as you say, then then we'll start to you know, get guys in the right spots. But like to your point, we do have a lot of versatile guys and it allows you to be flexible when you game plan, you know, to maximize your matchups and that sort of thing I think you saw last year. You know, we weren't really planning on Kyle playing the nickel. To his credit, he was able to go in there and play really good football for us. So the concepts translate, so it does allow us to stay as versatile as possible.
Speaker 4: Thank you all right, great, Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. You just heard from defensive coordinator Mike McDonald. Finally, let's hear from new offensive coordinator Todd Monkin.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of players over the middle of the field. What's your philosophy about controlling the middle of the field.
Speaker 6: And have you talked at all with Mike McDonald about how he views controlling the middle of the.
Speaker 4: Field as well.
Speaker 9: I really don't dictate if the ball goes over the middle of the field. The defense does.
Speaker 4: That, Dodd. Yesterday, O'Dell talked a little bit about kind.
Speaker 10: Of your confidence and communicating the visions and you off with the offense. How do you go about kind of create a clear picture for what you want this offensive?
Speaker 9: Well, first off, it's execution trumps everything. So no matter what we run, the only thing that really matters is that our guys play with confidence, get lined up, and execute at a high level. Suggested numb for anywhere the risk bands plays what.
Speaker 7: I think it's easier. I don't say that.
Speaker 9: One of the most important things is if your ability to communicate the calls, and the best way for that to happen is to not start with wristbands. He has to hear what I say, he has to process the call, he has to regurgitate to the players, he has to get the cadence. We can always go to wristbands. Wristbands are easy, you just read it. Hard is learning the offense. Being able to process and make the calls.
Speaker 10: Job.
Speaker 9: You get a sense of them was more locked in?
Speaker 7: Canton Truf what's up?
Speaker 4: You get a sense of the more is more locked in?
Speaker 2: For Minie Campton now trying to learn the offense.
Speaker 9: Oh, I think he was pretty locked in then. But obviously there's a different sense of urgency. I think we'd all say that. But I think he was pretty locked in then.
Speaker 3: There are some things that you learned to Times of Tampa Day and Georgia that can help you feel.
Speaker 9: Doesn't that you need good players to score on offense? Huh, Flowers, it's a fun little toy, right there, isn't it. I'm just fired up Eric and the Boys drafted him.
Speaker 10: How does the familiar How does the familiarity with Odell previously help you as you know, he's come into a new team and you're getting high and how even using.
Speaker 9: I think what helps is uh no on Odell's personality, knowing his skill set, but we're also talking four years ago. But I do think it helps what Odell does well, how to communicate with him, how he likes to be coached and included, which he does. He deserves that. He's a really good player. He wants to be coached, he wants to be pushed. He wants to be a part of a winning team and be a part of that. A huge part of that touching the football and helping our team win.
Speaker 2: Talking about it, or.
Speaker 4: Sense that he's got a different level of pay, There's no way his.
Speaker 2: Pass p u asuring a.
Speaker 7: Compared to Cleveland.
Speaker 9: Like I said, guys are always motivated. That's hard to compare years past of being locked in or more motivated. I've always seen Odell's being very motivated as a player.
Speaker 7: You'd have to ask.
Speaker 9: Him whether he's more motivated now, but he seems to be in a really good place. Sure, we'll have to look at the tape. It's it's important for all of your players to get reps and developing the back end of your roster. That's super huge because you just don't ever know. It's a long season. You're not only trying to figure out who the starters are, who your playmakers are, who are your backup guys, who are the guys that are capable of going in the game, and then who are your practice squad guys.
Speaker 7: And when guys go down there.
Speaker 9: Wady to go, So it's imperative that they're able to get reps in good reps.
Speaker 5: Just how do you feel like the offensive installation is going at this point?
Speaker 4: What are you really?
Speaker 9: What I like the most is our guys are locked in, they're dialed in. I mean, I like their approach. Their approach is where.
Speaker 7: You want to be.
Speaker 9: We're not where we want to be yet, but we shouldn't be. That's that's why we practice, That's why we meet, That's why you get out there and there's things you're like, Wow, that's the way it looks, and then there's others that you're like, that isn't anything like we want it to look. That's part of what you do and then you fix that, and you brag upon that, and you get better on that, and then you find what your pieces do best, and then you try to fit that within your scheme.
Speaker 6: It seems like on most plays you guys are out of the huddle bunch fifteen seconds.
Speaker 4: Like the tempo is definitely picked up in years past, and it's just kind of the one the time you want get to be internet in the case of playing.
Speaker 7: To be places well. First off, whether it's.
Speaker 9: The idea is to leave the quarterback enough time at the line of scrimmage to assess the defense, make changes in being control. I'm a firm believer that you want your quarterback to play his best, you got to empower him. It goes from here to here. I'm a part I want to help with the game plan. I want to see things what they're doing defensively. If that is getting the line quicker, then.
Speaker 2: So be it.
Speaker 9: If it's a situation where we've got some sort of a run pass option or run runner or pass pass, then that then.
Speaker 2: So be it.
Speaker 7: But I do believe in getting the line quicker.
Speaker 9: I think that gives us more time at the line of scrimmage to assess for the quarterback Tom.
Speaker 3: For coach a lot of taxi quarterbacks in your career as I help you prepare for the child coortin my back career.
Speaker 7: Oh all of them are a little bit different.
Speaker 9: You really like the challenge of guys that one obviously have a tremendous skill set, which he does. And I've been lucky to be around a lot of those guys that I've been blessed to coach them.
Speaker 7: They made me a better coach.
Speaker 9: But the thing you like about Lamar is he's becoming even more diligent. He wants to be great. He wants to be elite. I do not see a guy that signed a contract and said, okay, I've arrived. I want to be elite. I want this offense to be elite. I want to give ourselves a chance to win every week. And that's that's been impressive.
Speaker 6: God don't enough.
Speaker 2: Distribution with football? And you mentioned a lot about threatening the entire do how it makes a prominate balance? How much did I have forcas of speeding?
Speaker 7: How much every bingle bar and asturally what.
Speaker 2: You're communities of?
Speaker 7: Great question?
Speaker 9: So scheme is a part of all distribution and have enough skilled players to where you want to distribute it to them, because if you don't have enough skilled players, you're not trying to create ways.
Speaker 7: Right to distribute the ball to them.
Speaker 9: Everybody earns that right to touch the football doesn't matter what sport. You are in the right to get at bats. You are in the right to get shots. You are in the right to get opportunities. And the better your play, the better your players understand that and compete that way, and the better your skilled players, the more fun it is to distribute it.
Speaker 1: All right, Thank you for listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. As always, please subscribe and leave a rating and a review.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: On Ravens Press Pass you can hear every single media availability from players to coaches all throughout training camp, so if you missed episodes from earlier in the week, feel free to go back and check those out. And if you haven't already, please subscribe to the Lounge podcast as Garrett and Mink will be giving their takeaways from Ravens Stadium practice and more in the upcoming episode dropping Monday, July thirty first, and you can find the Lounge as well as Raven's Press Pass wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for listening. We'll talk with you again soon.