Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys. This he's Talking Cowboys, screaming live from the Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Six second Pascott Tizicks, Eddie Paint Texas.
Speaker 2: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Talking Cowboys, presented by a Black Raffle Coffee Company. We are live from the SWVC podcast studio at the Store in Frisco, Texas. Sitting in for Kyle Yeomans, I am Josh Rodriguez here with Patrick Noci Walker, here with Tommy Yarsh here with Isaiah Standbach, Christopher Beemer in the background, and Jazz Made in the background putting in the work as tirrhy.
Speaker 1: Need you just pop your cards. Toy pumped the collar. I just need to see it.
Speaker 5: That's Tim with the nice shirt.
Speaker 1: That is time with that shirt.
Speaker 5: I like it with the little the dot accents on it. You see the little patterns and the chain chain and he got a fresh cut.
Speaker 1: We know I was was desperately a native one. So yeah, the top button being lets her know that he's ready thrown. He also wants you to catch this the money, the money.
Speaker 5: He's ready to say it with his chest on a Wednesday, or at least lowers lower neck. It's given that neck on a Wednesday. All right, boys, let's get into the news and no.
Speaker 4: News already right past wow, right off, it's it's Wednesday morning.
Speaker 1: So you got to include yourself in his news and notes.
Speaker 5: Bro, if you didn't listen to talking, that's on you quick.
Speaker 1: I was playing ball. I was on the diamond.
Speaker 4: I made a throw from the wall from the field I was shooting for going home. Felled a tweak. Afterwards, that wasn't the worst part. I played through it, obviously. It was a championship game. Too much on the line.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 4: Two days later, because I thought, you know, it'll get better. You get these aches and pains as you get older, no big deal. And I felt that before, but it's gotten better a couple of days a week. So a week or so later, two days later, I was in the gym, even though it was hurting. I was like, yeah, I got to get the session in. So I was doing some hammer curls and the third rep or third set of the hammer curls like fourth or fifth reps. Felt like somebody came up and like stabbed me in the elbow. Yeah, So took a couple of weeks off from the gym to try to let it rest up. I was like, okay, yeah, but it wasn't getting any better at all. So you know, there's a line between hurt and into resting and being concerned. I went right past that concern horizon. So I went and got it checked out earlier this week, couple of days ago. Two partial tears and the tendons and the elbow.
Speaker 1: So yeah, those before No I used my hips to throw. So yeah, yeah, the transfer.
Speaker 4: What's funny is what I say yesterday when I was we were talking, we were talking, I say that was on me because I didn't crow hop for that distance I was. I really was trying to shoot four and he was round and third.
Speaker 1: I got no chance.
Speaker 4: I had no chance, but I gave it all shoulder and arm. I didn't crow hop to generate the power.
Speaker 1: Number three. I have a number of things.
Speaker 4: That are this wrong with the story right before we get into news, and those number one that's the news and number no. Number one, how did the ball get behind you? Okay, you be playing back for he smoked. It just just saying that's that's problem number one, he smoked.
Speaker 1: The problem number two is you didn't usually blame it on the picture ahead.
Speaker 4: I'm not going I don't throw my guy. You didn't get a jump on the back. I don't care get a jump on the back got behind you. Number two, you try to use your arm and not your hips. I agree with the third part. Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Number three, you were doing bicep girls.
Speaker 4: All right, Yeah, I can't say the last time I did bicy curls, but you were doing bicy girls after an injury?
Speaker 1: Hammer and number four, how is that I am not on this team? Huh?
Speaker 4: I don't understand how I did not get an invite. Oh, I didn't know you want to You're busy man. You didn't know it's a basement. I know that you're a baseball player, but I didn't know you still got down with the get down like I still get down draft.
Speaker 5: Have you missed every celebrity baseball tournament we've had in the past three years?
Speaker 4: But that's celebrity turn for the Cowboys. I don't get regularly that you're ready to get down, because I regularly get down with the get down like two three times a week. The first person I'm like, ea, sports, I'm in the game, noted not it for spring.
Speaker 1: Now you get into news and we just had to addressed that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got eight weeks of physical therapy, but I'll be back for spring. No, that works because actually, since this is Wednesday morning, Cowboys are back on the practice field this afternoon, all news and notes are kind of stalled for now because we talked about it yesterday. We talked about the Josh Butler injury on the day prior. So for all of those that are listening, which is everybody, because you're cultured and you're smart, you're listen to Talking Cowboys, play back those previous two episodes and you'll see what the news and notes are. But we will have more for you tomorrow after the Cowboys finish their first practice to prepare for the Cincinnati Bengals this week. We do know if there is at least a solid chance that DeMarcus Lawrence sees his twenty one day practice window activated today, That's what it looks like it's going toward. When you listen to Jerry Jones speak. When you listen to Mike McCarthy talk, when you listen to Stephen Jones talk, Let's see if they do that. If so, he has more than solid chance of returning to the field Monday night football against the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 1: That's the key thing.
Speaker 4: Ceedee Lamb's still on track to play. Jake Ferguson expected the clear concussion protocol, but you got to be real careful about that because you have no clue if that's going to happen or not. That's not up to the team. That's not up to the team's training staff. That's up to the NFL concussion protocol and they're specialists. So for that were just monitoring injuries, see who has a chance of coming back and who's gonna still be out.
Speaker 1: Isaiah question.
Speaker 4: As we're going to talk about the Cincinnati Bengals offense today. Yeah, I would like to know the most recent status if anything's changed on your side in regards to Trayvon Diggs and Kaylyn Carson. You know, Kayvin Carson is on ir So that's that's pretty much that.
Speaker 1: That's that.
Speaker 5: That's four weeks all right, Well, that possibly possibly but possibly dosignated for weeks, the way.
Speaker 4: The math, plus the conversations I've been having surrounding Kaitlin Mary.
Speaker 1: I think this is season season.
Speaker 4: I think this is it season because keep in mind, before they put him on I r I said right in the seat, and I said, I'm not hearing great things about the Kayln Carson showed the situation as far as his how he's recovering from it, and then second opinions and things like that, and then he had to set back after a couple of games being activated. So I think he's just shut down until next year.
Speaker 5: At least we have Josh Butler right, No, because he's on IR.
Speaker 4: You will ideally before the season ends. He's down two to three games with the miniscus. But that's that's a blessing for one, Yeah, because it really looked bad with him getting carted off.
Speaker 5: Trade and being physicious. Maybe it's bad.
Speaker 1: You have Trayvon.
Speaker 4: Maybe they're speaking positively about Treyvon this week, and hopefully you'll have for the first time as starters for all three Jordan Lewis, Trevon Diggs, and Deron Blant on the field at the same time, and you're going to need it against the Cincinnati offense that we'll get into that is absolutely nuts out.
Speaker 5: Is that all you had for news and notes?
Speaker 1: That comes to mind unless there's something I'm missing you.
Speaker 5: Okay, So one thing I wanted to bring up from yesterday. This is sort of at the end of the day four thirty nine pm actually when the story broke, uh, Dak Prescott Davin addressed Mike McCarthy and talk about Yeah, I want to talk about this.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 5: He said that he feels helpless. Obviously he can't fight for Mike McCarthy and the extension, he feels that he definitely deserves a chance, is what he said.
Speaker 1: That's not the main part.
Speaker 5: Another contract and a chance to coach this team. Amongst more influence on his terms.
Speaker 1: Was that again is Dak.
Speaker 5: That was the last part on his terms, Mike McCarthy's terms.
Speaker 1: That's quote from QB one.
Speaker 5: How do you feel about that? I mean, do we like that Dak Prescott is finding for Mike MacCarthy. We talked about it yesterday. If Mike McCarthy wins out the rest of the season, you are obligated to bring him back.
Speaker 4: Arguably, Yeah, you gotta love when QB one on any team fights for their head coach, especially when their head coach is doing so much to overcome so much. When you talk about adversity that we were talking about yesterday, and the fact that McCarthy, even at three and seven, never lost this locker room, the locker room never fractured. They were still bought in with him. They were still working on buying in with the Mike Zimber defense, but they never they were never not bought in on Mike McCarthy. And then you know the personal relationship between Dak and McCarthy and how close they are off the field. You saw McCarthy make a B line and training camp and Knox Snard to play with you know, Dak's daughter, Dak's baby daughter.
Speaker 1: So I mean you love to see that.
Speaker 4: I will say this because Dak also fought this hard for Jason Garrett.
Speaker 1: If Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones.
Speaker 4: Decide that this is the end for Mike McCarthy, really doesn't matter how much QB one fights for him.
Speaker 1: The end is the end of quest. But I will say it does have some.
Speaker 5: Weight Tommy in your experience. You haven't been here the whole season. You were here for training camp, obviously, but I want to get your thoughts on these comments and see kind of what you're thinking, is how you interpret dex comments from Misterday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think me and no Se kind of think the same way in terms of you obviously like to hear that from your starting quarterback, and it's similar to some of the stuff that we've been hearing from pundits and talking heads and even guys like Troy Aikman around the league in the last couple of weeks saying, Hey, Mike McCarthy's a good ball coach and that record tracks. I mean, everywhere he's been he's won. I think this year when you look at it, I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy or I think it is inexcusable to be five and seven when you've been twelve and five and three straight years. But when you look at just the array of injuries that this team has had and the cards that Mike McCarthy's been dealt, I mean, to go three and seven and not lose the locker room and somehow find a way to put together two wins and five days of our division opponents, that to me is something good that you can build off of now.
Speaker 1: Is that enough to save.
Speaker 6: His job if say they go three and two the rest of the way or two and three.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: But what I do know is that Micha McCarthy is a good football coach, and I think that that's reflected in how his players feel about him, how the locker room feels about him, and just overall his coaching trajectory in the past.
Speaker 5: There's no doubt he's a great football coach. Iaiya, if they don't win out, if they'd go three and two or two and three, what are your feelings on mich McCarthy's future here in Dallas.
Speaker 1: I like coach McCarthy.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna I'm gonna highlight one portion of Deck's comments, but I think most people are just kind of blowing by hey highlights choosing to grab that marker, Buddy, I don't care what color highlight of you guys get, but on my screener head here is blue. Okay, another contract that's not the part and a chance to this is where you get your highlighter. Out Coach this team, amongst more influence on his terms may be a good way to say it. Run that back, uh, coach this team amongst more influenced. What what's what's coach McCarthy's title, Hey coach, okay, so this is your QB one highest paid player in the league, saying that the head coach of his team needs more influence aka power decision.
Speaker 1: Makers things like that, Okay, on his terms, he said it. It may be a good way to say it. He said it.
Speaker 4: That was that was him pulling the e break before he went all the way off the rail right there.
Speaker 1: That He's like, he was like, I went too far.
Speaker 4: The fast and furious, you know what I'm saying, a little fast and furious that you know whatever episode twenty little you turn that speaks volumes to me.
Speaker 1: And I don't know we can really go on that, but that that to me.
Speaker 5: Just you're feeling to it. You don't have to come on as if he that Dak.
Speaker 4: If I can read between the lines here, I know it's not Friday. I'm trying to work into it, you know what I'm saying. I feel as if he's saying that Mike McCarthy doesn't have almighty power as a head coach.
Speaker 1: He doesn't and that during his tenure.
Speaker 4: He apparently from these comments, what I'm reading through has not had the decision making power to do things his way.
Speaker 1: In totality, which coaches do.
Speaker 5: Belichick, are they currently coaching? I mean, that's another question.
Speaker 4: I mean again, but a lot of times if the head coach doesn't have full power, they have a lot of it, you know, they have a lot of it. And there's always a thing about you know, double j mister Jones, you know, not giving up that title on all those things. And I've always kind of thrown it to the win, be honest with you, you know, because I'm here a lot you guys are here more and I just don't see his hand on every aspect. I don't see him in the meeting room, don't see him doing those things that everybody says about him.
Speaker 1: So I disregard a lot of those comments.
Speaker 4: But then when you have QB one come out and say something like this, it kind of brings it back to the to the surface, and it makes you wonder what conditions has Mike McCarthy been coaching under and what would have been different.
Speaker 1: To date had he had had more power and influence.
Speaker 4: You should the word influence to incite that the head coach doesn't have the ability to influence the team the way he wants to.
Speaker 1: That's a major, but a major comment to me.
Speaker 5: I don't think he's saying that he doesn't have influence.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, say not say not influence. He said more influence, which means that he does not have the ability. That just QB one saying that he can't do what he wants to do. He can't, not to a degree. So I think it's okay, let me qualify. I don't believe that there's a scenario wherein Mike McCarthy has zero influence. That is not true. Okay, The question is how much in thrust does he have? Because he has a good bit of influence, but that's subjective. What does a good bit look like as far as getting it in totality?
Speaker 1: He doesn't. You're right, he doesn't have that. Will he ever have it? No? Any head coach have it? Probably not.
Speaker 4: Let's given example, if there was somebody on this roster that he did not win on his roster, would he have the power to say no?
Speaker 1: Depending on who it is?
Speaker 4: I suppose, And when I say that, let's say now I don't want to say names, but let's say it was a high profile position player, that Mike McCarthy was like, you know what, I think it's time to move on from this guy. If it's a high profile position player who's still producing, probably get vetoed. And that's what I mean when I say and that's always going to be a head coach versus a front office decision, right, because the front office is going to feel a way about a particular player.
Speaker 1: And go back to the Parcels era.
Speaker 4: The player, okay, the player, you know who the player was too, right, there was a distinct line drawn between Parcels in the front office when it came to Toyo. Now, ultimately Parceles got his way, right, But even Bill Parcells, the Great Bill Parcells, who had achieved everything he had achieved before he even got to Dallas, still had to contend with ownership of the team.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So, whether it be McCarthy here, Garrett here, the next coach here, a coach and since Zach Taylor and Cincinnati or Mike Daniels in Miami, the coach is not going to have unless your name is Bill Belichick, you're not going to have totally. What about your ability to discipline players, Now that that's a good question. If you get disrespected by a player in this day and age, right, you have so, Sam, So this is just throwing it out there. What if I might get disrespected by players? Not that, not that irish Pittsburgh guy. So, like I'm saying, but if you have, if you were to have players on your team blatantly disrespect you and your authority because they understand that you don't have all.
Speaker 1: Authority, what what position does that put you in as a head coach?
Speaker 5: Not great Bob, not great Bob, n GB all right, but will take this conversation a lot more interesting the more we win, because I want to see how this goes. I want to see how this goes. I want to see a winning arguably a winning record towards the end of the season and see if this is even a conversation later on.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what I think Dak was hinting at more than anything is free agency. I think that's what Dak was hinting at, more than anything. I think that Mike, this is my opinion. I believe Mike McCarthy would have loved to see bigger moves being made in this past free agency wave, knowing he was going into a fifth year approve it year for him right, And of course the Cowboys did not. They pivoted on what their definition of all land meant. And then Mike McCarthy went in the training camp still looking for pieces on both sides of the ball, including to try to build up for Zimmer on the defensive side. So I think that's more than anything what Dak is saying, give this guy. I don't know if you're going to give him kart blotch, but give him more control over saying and free agency. I want this guy signed, this guy, get this deal done, work it out, because then it's on the front office to work out the contractuals. Is not for the head coach to care about the salary count. It's for the head coach to say, these are my needs. This is where we all the deve batista give me what I want type thing. So I think that's more so what Deck is talking about personnel building.
Speaker 5: We have to take our first break when we come back. We have to start previewing the Cowboys defense versus the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 1: I all want to.
Speaker 5: I know it's tough. It's tough. More from talking Cowboys right after this.
Speaker 7: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back. You need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 4: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 1: See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 7: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 5: If you shout how about them Cowboys?
Speaker 9: You have that undernigedable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor pepper for everyone.
Speaker 5: The wins will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys. This segment is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of your Dallas Cowboys, trusted since vineteen seventy seven. Scan the Quake R code in the right hand corner or left hand corner for your chance to buy your oatmeal on the internet.
Speaker 1: Sick.
Speaker 5: Just as our forefathers intended, we.
Speaker 1: Need Beamers kids back. We have our balls, I know we need. We need the balls out loudlast time. Do it.
Speaker 5: It's time to break down the Cincinnati Bengals and their vaunted offense. Tommy Yarsh, I want to start with you are Are they what their four and eight record says they are.
Speaker 6: This is such an interesting argument because I think that there is never a clear answer in terms of like every time a team's.
Speaker 5: Record according to Bill Parcells, and I.
Speaker 6: Understand, I think it is such a case by case basis, and you look at how these games have played out for each team. In Cincinnati's case, you want to guess how many of their eight losses were by one possession?
Speaker 5: Seven?
Speaker 6: Seven of their eight losses all by one possession. The only one that wasn't was to Philadelphia, And so when I look at that, you wonder, Okay, why, I think the glaring reason is their defense. I mean, they they couldn't stop a nosebleed for most of these games. But that in turn leads to, Okay, well, what is the offense not doing that can't get them over that hump?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: And I think that when I look at this Cincinnati team, there are a lot of similarities to Dallas in terms of the run game. It's something they've been struggling to get going. Chase Brown and Rico Daddle kind of having similar seasons. I think they're right around that six hundred and six to seventy five yard rushing Mark Brown's got six touchdowns, Rico's got one, But they don't have a good enough run game, I think, to really open things up for that offense. And you consider that with the fact that Joe Burrow still is the NFL's leading passer, Jamar Chase is the NFL's leading receiver, and that just tells you how good they've been to counteract that. But that run game, I think, you know, has really if it opens up more. Then this is a really good team. But the defense too is kind is kind of holding them back. They traded for Khalil Herbert. He hasn't really gotten terribly involved in this offense yet. I think maybe that's something that could spark, you know, something in the run game too. I feel like he can and bring some good value to that team. But man, it's just been some tough sledding for them in some of these games.
Speaker 5: Well, the only team they've actually beaten have been the Panthers, the Giants, the Browns, and the Raiders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they found a way to lose on other games.
Speaker 5: All those other games, Like you said, only one game not not by over a touchdown and they they all. Offense has averaged thirty points per game versus teams over five hundred this season, which is the best in the league. However, their defense has allowed the most points per game thirty six point four versus teams five hundred. Are better.
Speaker 6: They've scored more points per game and losses than they have in wins.
Speaker 1: That's a crazy stitch that tells you all you need to narrow.
Speaker 5: I think it does. I think it does. So how does the Dallas Cowboys defense cool down?
Speaker 1: Joey. But well with all the corners you have, of course.
Speaker 5: And then think you've got a lot of them.
Speaker 1: Dude, what are you talking about the conversations and the thanks?
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, Well let me ask you this then, are you relying more this being the secondary being what it is? Are you relying more now on the secondary beat up or the defensive line?
Speaker 4: D line has to go crazy, they have to go now, so which they're doing right in the last few weeks. I think Dallas is at the top of the league in terms of pressures, I believe. So I think that that's that department is taking care of yourself as you're getting healthier on the defensive front, so hopefully more help us on the way so that you continue to improve. Right, So, if you're going to lack in your secondary, then you have to be dominant in your in your in your front seven so that you can force arrant throws, you can get the ball out their hands quicker, all those type of things. Right, More inaccuracy allows for more opportunities. But if you cannot have a combination of no pass rush and lack of depth at cornerback, that's just terrible, especially when you're playing against the number one passent team in the league. Joe Burrow doesn't make a lot of mistakes. His guys are open. Their schemes are nice. Offensive schemes are really really nice. They do a good job of scheming things up, whether that's in the form of very elusive disguise screens that don't even look like screens. They look like just regular pass plays, but they're literally set up to be downfield blocking, or they're three by one. They do a lot of three by one sets where they really just overload your defense. So it doesn't necessarily bode well for teams that play a lot his own because you know, you flood that you flood that particular area of the field. So Dallas is gonna have to do a great job of communicating because we know that they like to play zone. Especially when you're down on your cornerbacks. You're gonna be forced to play zone because you don't have the confidence that these guys can play man to man.
Speaker 1: So it's gonna be difficult in that regard.
Speaker 4: And we saw what Cincinnati we've seen, but we definitely saw what they are capable of. This most recent week, they put points up man and their guys make plays and Burrow puts the ball on the money and they do good things there. They have a capable running game. They have a capable running game. He just hasn't been there for whatever reason because they focus so much on the past.
Speaker 1: But Brown is a beast in the backfield, So don't don't slip on that now.
Speaker 4: I don't know if everybody saw one of the runs that he had, but he doesn't look like he's moving, but he's moving. So these guys can do some things on both the ground game in the passing game, but ultimately they just want to line it up and spread you out. They want to spread it out and make you cover their guys sideline to sideline.
Speaker 5: Well, to argue your point really quick about the D line, you'd see the last game and you'd kind of want to replicate what TJ. Watt did to the Bengals and the Bengals offense and to Joey Burrows the best exactly. However, they still put up thirty eight points. To me, the secondary is more crucial in getting this win because there is no there's no way the Dallas Cowy's offense as it stands, as we've seen the last three weeks is going to score more than thirty five points. That's where I'm I'm hesitant.
Speaker 4: I hear you, but I countered that because the reality is, if Trayvon can't play, right to just to say that Trayvon can't play because I don't feel good about his ability to play, just my inkling. If Trayvon can't play, and now you're out there with durn blaying Dern playing won't follow because he's not allowed to follow. Now, all of a sudden, I can put my single receiver on duran Bland side, and I can put my three receivers on the opposing side, and I could just ledge your zone. And you don't have the guys to cover me. You can't cover me. You can't cover it. You don't have own you don't have the personnel to cover me. That's just facts, right. You can scheme it up right, or my defensive line can do such a great job that now he's getting the ball out before he wants to, or he's throwing the ball less accurately than he would have had he been able to sit back on his back leage comfortably. So that's why I say the D line is more important. That's my stance because if he has time, you have competence that these guys can cover them. Because that's the conversation. Yeah, yeah, I'm Withah on this head.
Speaker 3: No, just really quickly.
Speaker 1: That don't mean it inter up.
Speaker 6: But to add on to that, even if your defensive line gets good pressure, that's where your linebackers have to step up and finish. Because this is I think the best season that Joe Burrow is moving around in the pocket and extending plays. Not not much of a scra like even on the scramble too, but if he's able to move around there and still be accurate, that's that's I think that's his best trait.
Speaker 1: He's finding the pockets in the pocket.
Speaker 5: And we're focused on Jamar. Chase T Higgins is also having a season season he's averaged still there.
Speaker 1: He's averaging eighty y offseason stuff.
Speaker 5: Imagine what a wide receiver to on the Cowboys offense that would average eighty yards a game. Imagine what that would do. Imagine that wouldn't that be nice? Would that be grand?
Speaker 4: I One agree with Isaiah. You got to get out to Joe Burrow. And I'll add an addendum to that note. You have to get after him without blitzing. If you can help me, yes, because you cannot afford against let guys right against this receiver corps and Joe Burrow to take somebody out of coverage, to take another linebacker and send him every once in a while, mix it up absolutely, get to Mayo on overshow and making him uncomfortable every once in a while. But you need to win with your front four on defense time and again. And the good news is is you can because the offensive line of Cincinnati is highly sus. It is sus They've allowed thirty six on Joe Burrow over twelve games.
Speaker 1: That's two and a half per game. You can get back there.
Speaker 4: Their interior, all offensive lineman, they're giving up the most six sacs allowed by Cordell Volsen, six sacs allowed by Alex Kappa. I'm looking at Mazzi Smith as he trends in the right direction.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at.
Speaker 4: OsO Diggi Zoo as he finds the top gear that we've seen from Osa the past couple of seasons or so.
Speaker 1: I'm looking for that interior to dominate.
Speaker 4: Which will then allow for a guy like Michael Parsons to marvey on overshown Chauncey ghosting on the edge to do more work.
Speaker 1: Carl Lawson, who has come on so strong, had.
Speaker 4: Five QB hits against Drew Locke alone, which was the team high last week. So if you attack with your front four and they can win their matchups, especially on the interior where the Bengals offensive line can be had that is a soft spot for them, then you will have more success in the secondary because, especially from four, you won't have that extra guy dropping down. It makes it more difficult for Joe Burrow. Now again, like I said, I said, Burrow is excelling at finding the pocket.
Speaker 1: Within the pocket. He can move those feet, he can move them.
Speaker 4: But if if you keep that extra guy back in coverage, it makes it that much more difficult for him to throw to tight windows and figure out where the added man is, where the double coverage is, who's shading this way, who's cheating that way. Then you get an interception or at least an opportunity for it. And that goes to my second and final point for this part. You have to take this ball away. You have to take this ball away. We talked about time of possession and how that marries with the efficiency and what you're doing with the time of possession.
Speaker 1: Don't just own time of possession, but you have to control it.
Speaker 4: Take the ball away so that you can help yourself get more possession time. Keep Joe Burrow in that offense on the sideline, because you want the Bengals defense on that field for as long as humanly possible.
Speaker 1: They are horrid this season.
Speaker 5: Horrid quickly. Confidence level if Trayvon Diggs does not play.
Speaker 1: Competence and what the ability to stop this passing game?
Speaker 4: Yes, honestly, if I'm not being a jerk, even if he does play, Oh, I'm just being Even if he does play, I haven't seen enough from him this year. So even if he does play, I don't think he's ready to handle Jamar Chase in a one on one setting but this year.
Speaker 1: But we haven't seen him on the field with Bland. I get it.
Speaker 4: So that means we haven't seen how quarterbacks will have to adjust.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 4: But I still am of the mindset that Dran Bland and Trayvon Diggs are better man a man defenders, and they're not playing they're not playing Manda Man, so they are to me as good as they are individually they're playing as a shell of what I believe that they're capable of doing what we've seen of them the last few years. If Diggs doesn't play, that's a lot of pressure on Izzy, who's more than solid. I have been continually impressed with Mukwamou's ability to step in when his number is called and do some very positive things that impact games, both as a coverage guy and in run defense. But again, you make it easier on him and everybody else in the secondary by winning your front four, winning your matchups in the front four. To answer your question, though, without Digs, I do like this past rush Quird's going, So I'll give them still a sixty percent chance of getting it done without Diggs.
Speaker 6: Tommy, I'm leaning more with Isaiah here. I don't I would say, like on a scale of one to ten, maybe like two to three, you know, even like even.
Speaker 5: With leading NFL passer leading NFL exactly that that says I get.
Speaker 1: I'm just looking at the soft part of their beat.
Speaker 3: Oh you're you're right.
Speaker 6: As good as the past rush has been. I think the thing that changes that is Burrow's ability to move around in the pocket and step up and make those kinds of throws this year that he's done better than I think he has in his career. And so you pair that with the fact that, Okay, if Trayvon Diggs doesn't play, the more than likely route this is going to go is a shootout type of game, like that would have to be how win That's what I'm saying. That would have to be how Dallas would win this game. And I don't see them winning the.
Speaker 5: Shootout even with the Cincinnati Biggles defense the way it is, all right, So I'm feeling our chemistry today. That's why when we come back, it's time to break out the lab coats. Patrick Walker blinds us with science. After the break We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your areas. See att dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 10: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agg and Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agg the official Lagon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 11: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yetie's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at Stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yettie dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: And we're going to overtime Erica.
Speaker 1: How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 12: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com. Slash ericup by your side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me. Very digital toolspeatured to require downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select MOA devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Elish language. Your chap maybe recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message, data rate and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys. Our final segment is brought to you by invisil Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Welcome back, everybody. It's time for Patrick Nlcy Walker's.
Speaker 1: Labco bring me in be Murray.
Speaker 5: Yeah, science, Yeah right.
Speaker 4: So we're going to shift to a positive thing, which is the Cowboys' offense going against one of the worst NFL defenses I've ever seen in my life when it comes to the Bengals. So we'll we'll dive deeper into what the Bengals defense does and does not do well, what they do do not do well tomorrow. But here's a segue. This is shout out to Pro Football Network. I was doing some digging last night research wise, and I came up across some stats that I knew they were bad, but Holy Moses, Sandals, these dudes are abysmo. PFN has a metric wherein they grade every team, every defense each season dating back to twenty nineteen. So in totality, that's one hundred and ninety two defenses that they've scored and ranked since twenty nineteen. Based on out those one ninety two, the Bengals defense in twenty twenty four ranks one hundred and seventy ninth out of one hundred and ninety two defenses over the past half decades.
Speaker 1: So no, not on the bottom. Actually they are at the bottom.
Speaker 4: The fine bottom of my bread because they are one hundred percent right there sniffing the carpet.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: Now that being said, there's one guy you got to keep an eye on, and his name is Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 1: Oh that guy, he's an absolutely prob. He leads the league in size. Ye that guy.
Speaker 4: Now here's what you if you can contain him, and that's going to be a tall order even if you had a healthy and stout left tackle situation. But you don't because guy and is dealing with an additional Hindko sprain. Some riches is on ir now, So it's Chumway doga. Maybe Matt will let's go. So challenge extreme exceedingly difficult for the Cowboys. But when Hendrix is off of the field, this is where you gotta take advantage of it. When he goes to get a breather, you better have some fun. When he's on the field, they're twenty third ranked in pressure, which is not terrific, but it's it's solid enough. When he goes to get some gatorade, they dropped a thirty second immediately the moment he walks off the field, pressure thirty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yess.
Speaker 4: Soon as he goes in as soon as he goes and gets some hydration. Yea, bengers can't get it. Yeah, let it rain, so yeah, take advantage of it. Try to block him when he's on the field. When he's off the field, man, just just drop back and have a ball. Now that being said, here's where it also matters, and it comes to Cooper Rush. I didn't realize this. I know that he had a fast release, but Cooper Rush's time to throw his release was measured over his last three starts against the other thirty one NFL quarterbacks starting quarterbacks and Cooper Rush right now. The reason yesterday when I brought it up and I said, he was really effective against the Blitz over the past couple of games, even though he struggled with the deep ball before two.
Speaker 1: Point twenty six seconds. That's impressive.
Speaker 4: It's it's second best, second quickest in the league usually round two four. There's only one player that has a quicker throw than Cooper Rush.
Speaker 1: Would you like to guess?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the fastest arm in the NFL, and you know it's to Ta gets that ball out. So Cooper Rush has a faster throw pattern than anyone in the league not named to as that's impressive. So if you can contain Trey Hendrickson, that basically neutralizes the pass rush, and then you're just looking at the ten or eleven guys whoever's spelling Trey Hendrickson as you know, one of the historically worst defenses in the league, and Cooper Rush, who has been performing well against the blitz, which means they because they can't get pressure with their front forward, guess what they're gonna do blitz.
Speaker 1: This starts to work in your favor.
Speaker 4: So now the only task is make sure that you don't have a random case of the drop ceas CD, make sure that Brandon Cooks is still getting involved like you got it involved in his first game back, and then ask your role players to step in and do more and hopefully you get Jake back that will really stress him of the seams in their linebacker course. So good news is you're not just going against a bad defense with the Cincinnati Bengals. You're going against one of the worst you've ever seen. You have to take advantage of it.
Speaker 5: I'll be interested to see what the injury report looks like today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same same seeds.
Speaker 5: That'll be really insane.
Speaker 1: Same seeds.
Speaker 5: How we're looking go ahead, Tommy.
Speaker 6: So I got a concept here if you got like concepts. So at left tackle this year, we've seen the Cowboys send help Tyler Guiden's way, whether that be a lot of the running back on that side.
Speaker 1: Tight end whatever.
Speaker 6: Last week a couple of times they brought in Matt will Let's go and made him eligible. So you get six offensive linemen out there. Essentially, I'm a fan of that type of concept. So would that be a horrible idea to put that out there? And I know that this team loves to throw the ball, but with the game that Rico Dowdell just had, do you try and just bully.
Speaker 1: Ball at the line of scrimmage? That is one way.
Speaker 6: It's one way to nutralized Tree Hendrickson, and it's one way to stay on the field.
Speaker 1: Run that clock.
Speaker 6: So hey, because that those are the two those are the two avenuester victory for the Cowboys. One you want to shoot out? Yeah, I don't know, play keep away, play keep keep you play keep and that done yet? And it was one thing, uh that that concept when I first started seeing it was last year. I know I'm a Texas guy, I'm biased, but Sarks started doing that last year, and that was a big reason why I think Jonathan Brooks had the year that he had at Texas because at times they bring in that six offensive lineman and you just can't get any push up front.
Speaker 1: So if you do that.
Speaker 6: Against what you were saying, one of the worst statistical defenses in NFL since twenty nineteen nineteen, the last five years, then you just play bullyball. I mean, if you bring like a brock Hoffman in there, if Black Martin comes back, I mean.
Speaker 4: That's going to be key to watch because if Martin is ready to go, he's playing.
Speaker 3: He's playing.
Speaker 4: But I would love to keep Hoffman involved. You have to keep him, especially with just something.
Speaker 1: Full back dive with a rock off wishbone.
Speaker 5: I've been championing twelve personnel from the beginning, like at the twenty five, Like start in twelve person lf Just run the day ball in goal line formation from the twenty five. Just give me that four times in a row.
Speaker 1: Hit it.
Speaker 5: I guarantee you that is a first down and just.
Speaker 1: Keep all right.
Speaker 4: Question, if you had to have a wishbone formation, who are your three guys in the backfield?
Speaker 1: Brock hoff Hoffman Bass. See how I was gonna say Bass, but then I just thought about it. I don't think so who you got? So who's your running back? Who's getting the ball? Uh? Okay?
Speaker 4: Son tricks with no no no with the ball.
Speaker 1: No dues can hide behind.
Speaker 5: But he loves dudes. That's what I'm no.
Speaker 1: But to be fair, jokes.
Speaker 4: Said, if you got Hoffman and let's say Bass, and I don't know who you're about to say, but hypothetically, and you put a diminutive back like duce back there, but like now it's now you're trying to find the mouse.
Speaker 1: In the trees, you know what I mean? Like I got you. I'd love to see the trees, the mouse in the tree.
Speaker 4: Like who's your other who's your other big in the forest? Who's your other big fellow in the backfield?
Speaker 1: You Hoffman? And who I got Bass? We got basket?
Speaker 5: Who give me awesome Richards?
Speaker 1: He's on I R.
Speaker 5: You can't talking.
Speaker 1: We're talking this week. We're talking this week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would think, okay, so basting, Oh, I got I got an interesting one. I'm going I got it before you say it's not even defense. Okay, I'm going Hoffman and MASI, okay.
Speaker 1: I'm going Hoffman in Tyra's.
Speaker 5: Week Special Team is extraordinary.
Speaker 1: MM like, but we.
Speaker 4: Come on, get in your bag, baby, Come on, Shoddy, come on, Shoddy, break out the wishbone.
Speaker 1: I need to see it.
Speaker 5: I'd love to see it.
Speaker 4: I'm down, bro if we see the wish but I will go hamm in the press box.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you all right now. It'd be fun though. That would be fun.
Speaker 4: Next time I see him in the hallway, I'm telling Shotty, wishbone, just put put the stick put the post it note on Dorothy's like laptop. When I see tomorrow and I have a sticker, he's gonna say, wishbone. I'm gonna slap on the shoulder with it. It's gonna be on the shoulders.
Speaker 1: Wishall.
Speaker 5: Is there a bet in place with us?
Speaker 1: No, but that would be awesome. Somebody a lot of money if you did that.
Speaker 5: If we see a wish pane, it would be fun. I don't know.
Speaker 1: And they just right because you've got an inception, right.
Speaker 4: So not only first it starts with a little post it note with just the word wishbone, and then like day two, there's an actual wishbone on his desk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just gotta go.
Speaker 4: You have to keep people guessing, right, you go back to what Detroit DA last week?
Speaker 1: Penn A sewel Yeah, was about to throw the ball.
Speaker 5: Get funky with it, keep them guessing.
Speaker 4: And then just became angry Run's recipient. Chunky but funky crazy. All right, boys, creativity.
Speaker 5: It is time to get out of here. Thank you so much for listening to talking cowboys.
Speaker 1: That'll do it for this.
Speaker 5: I don't like this.
Speaker 1: We gotta let's just talkwoys.
Speaker 5: You know, we could do this all day.
Speaker 1: But we were talking cowboys. We're supposed to talk cowboys.
Speaker 5: But there's a time limit. Friends, I'm talking top boys.
Speaker 1: They're crazy. I like you, but you're crazy.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Pat, thank you, Tommy, thank you, Isaiah Christopher Beemer in the background, Jazz Main, I'm Josh Fredriguez. May we'll see you tomorrow, same bat time, same bat channel. Talking cowboys on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Chicken Wing Go to.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 4: Cowboy