Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Ryan Jang. The Daily Show is on break this week, but don't worry. We put together some special highlights for you to catch up on in case you miss them. We'll be back on September tenth. Until then, enjoyed this episode.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to The Daily Show. My guest tonight is a two.
Speaker 3: Term governor of Michigan and author of the best selling book True Gretch. Please welcome Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer.
Speaker 4: What Apple Gray? Aren't they gray?
Speaker 3: All these all these people who love you aren't even legally allowed to vote for you. You're a Michigan I'm in Michigander. It dawned on me today in this audience might not like this, but it dawned on me today that one of the.
Speaker 1: Best parts of Chicago is the Lake, and one of the best parts of Chicago is Michigan. Right, bo. I think one of the things people love.
Speaker 3: About you is that you have grit, and you seem tough, and you talk and you talk about this.
Speaker 1: You talk about this in your book.
Speaker 3: You talk about as a kid's someone pushed you down, knocked your teeth out.
Speaker 1: What age was that that that happened.
Speaker 5: It was about eighth grade. It was church camp.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 5: So much violence can happen church.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then throughout your life, even in the chambers while people are voting, you would pop your teeth out to mess with them, right yeah, well, yeah, we have a picture of what sometimes.
Speaker 1: I mean, this was in the book. I love this. I mean, what is that? What is that picture? Where is that picture?
Speaker 5: That was? In high school?
Speaker 6: At some point I used to play in the Gusmacker Tournament, the three on three basketball and I was eating a tutsu roll on the way and both my teeth came out before the game. It was it was a nice you know, got in their brains.
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: That's a physical toughness, But now in politics it feels more emotional toughness.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 6: You know, one of the nicknames I've earned over the last few years is Big Gretch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Big Wretch.
Speaker 5: My all time new favorite nickname.
Speaker 6: It used to be Gravity Gretchen because I fall down a lot, hence the teeth. But during during COVID I talked about in the book. But during COVID, you know when Donald Trump turned his ire to me because I observed there was not a national strategy. When he told us he's not a shipping clerk, we need to go find masks ourselves, he got mad and so turned his attention to me, and I started getting threats and all of that noise. And at some point someone on my staff said, you know what that people are starting to call you Big Gretch, right, And I was like, what is this?
Speaker 3: Well, and we were listening to g mac Cash's Big Gretch song downstairs. Yeah, so whole rap song we've written value, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 5: It became a thing.
Speaker 6: You know, the people of Detroit bestowed this nickname on me because I was taking so much heat from the White House and doing what I could to save people, and so this was Someone likened it to being bestowed the key to the city when the people of Detroit give you a nickname like Big Gretch.
Speaker 3: On page on page two, the second page of your book, you talk about your grandmother Nino and how she said always look for the positive and people, and I love this quote. It is even the meanest person might have pretty eyes.
Speaker 1: Is that a way to govern? I mean that.
Speaker 3: You know a lot of people maybe sadly were introduced to you through through.
Speaker 1: The kidnapping story.
Speaker 3: How do you see the positive in those people or in that situation?
Speaker 1: Can you?
Speaker 6: Well, they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, So there's a bit positive. Yeah, you know, I've learned so much in the last six years. When you get tested, you see what you're capable of and what you're made of, and you also know who you can count on and who you can trust. And so there's a lesson in every tough story.
Speaker 1: Yep. And there's yet. You're the governor of the whole state.
Speaker 3: Your supporters love you, but there's people on the other side that maybe didn't vote for you, that are still mad about some COVID restrictions, that are having a hard time paying their mortgage.
Speaker 1: How do you bridge the gap with them? How do you speak to them? What do you say?
Speaker 5: I think it's showing up.
Speaker 6: You know, I know that I don't have every person's lived experience. I'm learning when I'm asking what can I do that'll make your life better?
Speaker 7: Ye?
Speaker 6: What how do I govern in a way that gives you a path to prosperity or takes a barrier out of your way? I love to get around Michigan and ask that question. You know, if I'm lucky enough to get elected, what could I do for you? And people are not shy to tell you.
Speaker 5: When you have.
Speaker 6: They will tell you things you never imagined. But over and over again, when you hear something that is recurring, you know, this is a real problem that people, regardless of their politics, need me to solve. Fix the damn roads was the initial response, and that's why focused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, infrastruction, how brilliant a brilliant platform Because as a Michigander, I've said that to my too, to whoever's listening, and apparently you were listening. You put it on a bus and your bus was listening. I have to ask you this because I don't often get the opportunity to sit down with the governor of Michigan. But as a michigan Er myself, I love our great Lakes. I love the twenty percent of the world's fresh water is sitting amongst us. I've lived in Los Angeles, I've toured through Arizona. They want our water, okay, And in all reality, what are you, as governor doing to protect our great lakes?
Speaker 1: Is this important to you?
Speaker 5: Absolutely so?
Speaker 6: The Great Lakes twenty one percent of the world's fresh surface water.
Speaker 3: This is a big I said twenty and she was like, it's twenty one, mother.
Speaker 5: Can you read that?
Speaker 1: That's good?
Speaker 6: So you know why I'm working hard to make sure that we protect the Great Lakes and we make Michigan a place where people move to for opportunities. So I would welcome you to come back to Michigan, enjoy the work, and then maybe you and I can reenact the Klepper Pritzker barkrawl.
Speaker 5: Yo.
Speaker 1: That would be fun.
Speaker 3: I haven't gone drinking with Klepper, but I bet there might have been a bucket there where he was kind of like, you know, there's a lot of energy. There's a lot of energy for Kamala right now.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of momentum. I'm right.
Speaker 3: I'm fearful though, I'm fearful that Democrats aren't thinking a few steps ahead. Trump is throwing his tantrums. He's mad that she's doing well, but you know, he's a competitor. He's gonna he's gonna pivot, he's gonna come back with something. Are the Dems strategizing many steps ahead?
Speaker 5: I believe so, But what are you anticipating I.
Speaker 3: Mean, what are you, what.
Speaker 5: Are you gonna do in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think he's sitting at home watching the energy, the enthusiasm, the optimism that it's going to come out of this.
Speaker 5: Week, and I think it's going to hurt his brain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it is Okay, Okay, let's hope that happens. Let's prepare for him to get his head on straight and stop throwing a tantrum like a four year old.
Speaker 1: He's not talking like a four year old. Eventually they calm down and they figure out the weak spot.
Speaker 3: So I'm just hoping the Dems are are you are you you're a co chair on Kamala's campaign or I mean, how does are you strategizing?
Speaker 1: Are you talking long term?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean this is Michigan is Michigan, right, There's Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan. These are the swingiest of states and we are going to decide the outcome of this election. We got to show up, We got to do the work. We got to be in all eighty three counties. We cannot write off a place because it looks Republican in past elections. We're going to show up and we're going to pull people in because this.
Speaker 1: Is show up, show them up as the bat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you talk and hear a lot about your gratitude journal, which I love, be specific with what you're thankful for what you do. But sometimes do you ever just write down super annoying shit? You know, you've had some bad stuff that's happened. Do you ever just write down, well that does this suck?
Speaker 1: Today? It's people try to kidnap me.
Speaker 5: It's tempting, it's tempting.
Speaker 6: But no, but there are some days where it says, my dog's my bed in tequila.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, you have that in yet. Let's talk about humor.
Speaker 3: You know, this is a comedy show. I grew up in a big family. No one ever said I love you and my family. But you teased, you poked fun And when I read and listened to your book, I love the audio version as well. There's a lot of humor and it just comes naturally for you. Is this something that is embedded in you from an early age as a kid.
Speaker 1: Is it something you've worked on.
Speaker 6: I think both my folks were really funny, and humor is a great way to to I think relief stress diffuse a tough tense situation, if you can find a laugh.
Speaker 5: And my mother was kind of the queen of gallows humor.
Speaker 6: Even in the darkest day she died of brain cancer, and even in the darkest day she was, she could.
Speaker 5: Find the light. She could make us laugh.
Speaker 6: And I think it's just such a powerful way to find common ground. That's why I love I love being on your show with you.
Speaker 1: I love that last thing.
Speaker 8: You know, I told you that a couple of weeks ago, my daughter, who's four, got pushed by another girl at camp and had a black eye, and I was really sad and I was upset about it.
Speaker 3: And then I read your book and I said, holy shit, my daughter.
Speaker 1: Is going to be the governor of Michigan.
Speaker 3: True grets is available about Governor Bretz and whatever.
Speaker 1: The Democrats could have been to Annie's. I need to hold the convention. So why Chicago, our own Jordan Klepper.
Speaker 3: Spent the day with a local to find out what Chicago has to offer.
Speaker 9: Beautiful Chicago my old term where I spent nearly a decade doing improv comedy and posing like a hip hop magician. But this isn't about me. It's about showing the exotic hotspot Chicago has to offer, and I've got a little help from a local billionaire for tour guide.
Speaker 1: I'm here with Governor J. B. Pritzkar. We're gonna see that Chicago is.
Speaker 9: More than just Wrigley Field and a bunch of drug clocks san bar.
Speaker 5: Right, there's culture here.
Speaker 9: What are we gonna say?
Speaker 7: We got blues, we got the lakefront, we got museum, we're foody towns.
Speaker 9: We are gonna get to the head us to drink here.
Speaker 1: We gotta get a drink.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: To save my old play. It's perfect to get in the right bood.
Speaker 9: We need a local delicacy.
Speaker 7: Milort is a Chicago special. So if you come to Chicago, I mean, if you want to be like Chicagoan's, you gotta have a award.
Speaker 9: Yes, it's a lovely liqueur made here in Chicago, and it tastes like it was made here in Chicago. But it's a leaded I love it.
Speaker 2: Cheers.
Speaker 7: Oh oh, that's some of the best award I've ever had.
Speaker 1: That's delicious.
Speaker 9: I have this after taste like I was sucking on the leg of a wet dog. It's DNC week. The convention is here, in Chicago.
Speaker 7: Why Chicago, Well, you know, we've had more political conventions in Chicago than any other city in America.
Speaker 9: You haven't always gone great.
Speaker 1: The demonstrators repeatedly tried to march on the side of the convention.
Speaker 7: Things have changed quite a lot, and they're protests at every convention. But the truth is that here in Chicago, we protect people's First Amendment rights and we're gonna put on one of the best conventions leaders every time. There's no city that has a better summer than the city of Chiclan.
Speaker 9: This is like the Olympics for people who are not.
Speaker 7: I know this doesn't sounding excited to you, but every delegation fifty states all day they're gonna be meetings among Democrats about the party platform.
Speaker 9: You're right, that doesn't sound exciting.
Speaker 5: To see what the RNC did.
Speaker 1: Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 9: They got Hulk Hogan, Kid Rock, How do you beat that? What are you gonna get the guys from Jackass.
Speaker 7: Honestly, this is gonna be the most energetic convention that you've ever seen.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately, I see what their energetic convention told.
Speaker 7: Be, Like hil Clinton was out there doing the mackerreno, like nobody's business. So I actually think this is one of the great moments in her history.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't attach that to her history.
Speaker 1: Keep it in history just as well.
Speaker 9: You know, Chicago has been known for a corruption in the past. Republicans are criticizing Kamala for getting in through as they would put it inside maneuvers. How does the party square or something like that?
Speaker 7: Are you kidding? Donald Trump tried to steal an election.
Speaker 9: He has one insurrection and we're gonna just that's always gonna be. You're gonna tar him with that.
Speaker 7: Yes, and by the way, he says, if he doesn't win this time, he's been cheated.
Speaker 9: I gotta ask you, the governor, a big question. Is the Barra comedy or a drama?
Speaker 7: Okay, I don't know why it's in the comedy category, but I gotta say it's one of the best shows on TV and shows off Chicago.
Speaker 9: Let's this is some of the beautiful Chicago culture telling. Let's do it all right, put it on the print.
Speaker 5: Kers.
Speaker 9: Well, now, you've always say it back in the day. Okay, maybe we just hit one or Bob before we get to that cot.
Speaker 5: It's it's not.
Speaker 9: You know this this empty bar takes me back to my improv days. The audience is a response back then. But you do it because you love it. Okay, yeah, chiers.
Speaker 1: Okay, museums.
Speaker 7: Are we talking museums?
Speaker 1: No, we're going to museums. We gotta do this.
Speaker 9: Let's see this town, this beautiful town, Governor. A lot of culture here, so much good architecture in Chicago.
Speaker 7: It is well, you know that started with the great Chicago Fire, everything getting burned down, all the great architects and artists.
Speaker 1: And I used to take here.
Speaker 9: I used to drink here. We got to get a drink. See you again.
Speaker 7: You got a green line that's doing.
Speaker 9: Were you surprised about Biden stepping down?
Speaker 7: I was, I really was. It happened so fast. It was about noon on a Sunday.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, it was a Sunday. I remember that because I was in a church, not at a bar.
Speaker 7: I was at a church, and a lot of us were concerned about the direction of the election and whether Joe Biden was going to be able to be competitive because the polls weren't looking good.
Speaker 1: In this moment.
Speaker 9: Are you in a text chain with other governors.
Speaker 7: Well, actually there were governors talking.
Speaker 9: The governors push him out. No, no, no, you weren't nudging an old man to be clear, to be clar like walking by him on the sidewalk, doing with the governor's shake over hair.
Speaker 7: Listen, Joe Biden's tough. Anybody's gonna to nudge anybody. He's the one nudge in somebody back.
Speaker 9: Oh, don't give me this. Look how tough he looks on a bike.
Speaker 7: Bullshit.
Speaker 1: He's a tough guy, he really is.
Speaker 7: And he understands politics better than most. And we don't have any time to waste for Kamala Harris's our vice president.
Speaker 1: We all voted for her, so she's the one.
Speaker 7: And picking Tim Walls, who I think he's actually the perfect tax you know, immediately of course he's coming up with pashtags, you.
Speaker 1: Know, balls to the walls.
Speaker 9: That's the first thing you do. This is what my taxpayer money going to. I'm paying for balls hashtags. I mean, maybe buy the drinks.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got it, I got it.
Speaker 5: That's unbelievable.
Speaker 9: Enough of the distractions. Museum, where do we have to go.
Speaker 7: Well, you gotta go to a museum in contemporary art, of course, the Art Institute.
Speaker 1: You have the beautiful lions in front. Let's don't bring up the Field Museum right with the big actual history.
Speaker 9: There's culture in this town that you have to focus on.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, right right, I go. I love it. We gotta go, great history.
Speaker 5: Let's do it.
Speaker 9: You're a lot walking into a bit of Chicago history is intoxicated. I can smell the stale hot dogs and tears of defeat. Look at this, huh, beautiful day to be here at regular.
Speaker 7: Every day at Wrigley is beautiful.
Speaker 9: Yes, okay, so no baseball today.
Speaker 7: No, But when this place is full, it is amazing.
Speaker 9: There it seems to be setting up for a concert. This is America's pastime, watching other people do work while you sit on your ass. Let's go, oh road Ero, Union Roadies. Let's go Union Roadies.
Speaker 1: But by the way, I have.
Speaker 9: Some parking tickets.
Speaker 7: Do everything. I cannot help you hear those parking tickets.
Speaker 1: Sorry, everybody a beer.
Speaker 6: That's a monogree.
Speaker 9: I'll take it, okay.
Speaker 1: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching.
Speaker 9: The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven.
Speaker 7: Ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 5: Plus, Paramount Podcasts