Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Come Mo Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio. iHeartRadio app Dan Byer, Doug Gottlieb, Joel on the Ones and Twos, Jay stew Is, the esteemed producer. Hope you're ready for a great weekend. Limp. You got your Kings Hawaiian rolls, get some Slider Sundays going along with your meat Friday Cooked and your trigger grill and maybe you can pull in one of these new Mercedes Beins SUVs. Welcome in. We have I think a tremendous third hour of the show. WD. Dan Dockets, who of course has his own show on OutKick, will join us in about twenty minutes. We'll get his thoughts on the NBA Draft and specifically on I think the biggest name taking maybe the entire draft, was taken with the fifty to fifth pick. That's Brownie James and I want to start there. Dan Lebron got emotional and go ahead, Dan, you you had a story that you want to there.
Speaker 3: Doug, there's something that happened today in the world of sports that I don't know. I've never heard this happen before, and it happened in a major sporting event, truly a major US Senior Open going on right now Newport, Rhode Island, one of the classic courses, Newport Country Club. Sure, and a guy in the name of Frank Benzil Junior. Yes, I think a lot of us are saying that who is Frank Benzil Junior. Well you should know the name, because not only did he cart a hole in one on his round today, he carded a second hole in one. No way, Yes, but that doesn't even make it crazy.
Speaker 2: Wait, hold on, hold on, I feel like I'm watching an infomercial of Ronk. But wait, there's more.
Speaker 3: There is more. He did it on back to back holes. No, so rob has never been done. I have never heard of this. And the reason that I've never heard of this is to have two hole in ones on a round is rare enough. How many courses do you know that you play have back to back par threes.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't know. Well, I mean a par three course maybe, but yeah, yeah, I play at Oneida here, beautiful course in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and there's not back to back par.
Speaker 3: Three there is it is. It is amazing when you look on a scorecard because he went ace ace on holes four and five, and seventy three yards on the par four third, on the par three fourth hole, and then on the par three fifth hole two hundred and two yards with an ace, and then four straight bogies afterwards.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I can't like the bogies afterwards. It speaks to all of them.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, but to have two aces back to back and in a major like that is that is a I've never ever heard of this, and it happened today at the US Senior Open for Frank Benzil Junior of Jupiter, Florida.
Speaker 2: Frank Benzil June was that the guy's name of Catch Me if you can, the guy who wrote the bad checks? Is that? Is that him?
Speaker 3: That's not my not my.
Speaker 2: J What was what was the name of the of the character? It was a real life character based on a real life character of the guy in Catch Me if you Can, Tom Hanks, And.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at looking at Frank Abdi.
Speaker 2: Abdial, Frank Abgnail.
Speaker 3: Frank Benzil Junior has two aces, five pars, and eight bogies on his scorecard today.
Speaker 2: It is back to back aces and then how many.
Speaker 3: Bogies for these eight bogeys after the back to back yeah, yeah, four straight bogeys, yes, bogie the next four holes, which, by the way, who cares?
Speaker 2: But how do you describe that to a friend and how you how did you play day? Frank? Eh? I mean I had two aces? What then I had four straight bogies.
Speaker 3: There's but there's I don't know if there's anybody in the world who would care about the four bogue to be able to have two aces, I don't have one in my life. I would I would love one. I don't think par three hole and ones are really legitimate. I think that you have to have it on a on a real course, just because there's too many opportunities on.
Speaker 2: The par three well on a par three course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on a par three course, yeah, but yeah, to have it back to back holes, uh, just crazy. But so a bit of what I feel is sports history. I've messed up other sports details today I can't remember this.
Speaker 2: Do you feel sports history? That's sports history? That's never happens to be US Open competition alone, in any any any competition, professional or otherwise. I can't think of we would have known that. Just that's crazy. Crazy. I will let that sink in for a second. Just what do you hit on a ones on a two two part three? I'd I know it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, depending, I'd probably hit a four hybrid. It's that's that's probably my best bet and maybe get a you know, five iron there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, maybe maybe. Are you bringing the clubs when you come to Wisconsin?
Speaker 3: I am, I am. We're in negotiations with the wife right now on bringing the clubs. So though we are in.
Speaker 2: Talks, can I can I help you with the negotiation? Yes? Okay. So you're coming home, You're going to see a lot of family. Yeah, okay. Part of it is, though, like what holds you back from playing more golf at home is that you spend time with your son Brody as much as you possibly can. If you sacrifice your golf game, you sacrifice your golf game. The great thing about coming home to family is your wife Lisa. You guys trust your family members, so you guys can actually go and do your own thing together. Now, she may want to do something with you and not with Brody and do that together. So my negotiation, bower you, is plan something for her on a day or let her tell her she has a day and during that same day you go play golf and then oh yeah, by the way, if you guys want to have dinner together, Brody's taken care of.
Speaker 5: Do that. Good plan.
Speaker 2: And by the way, you can come play my course. All right, it's a really nice course.
Speaker 3: I can't wait. It's one of those we are going to Green Bay. We are going to go stop by and see Doug.
Speaker 2: That is I mean, it's but it's a it's a it's one of those courses where I mean, Oneida is one of the courses. I'm like, how did I get here? At this place? Is so nice, so incredibly nice. Let's get to the topic of the day, which is the topic to sure is that Brownie James is now a member of the LA Lakers and with all the posturing and I respect to Mark Stein and the Phoenix Suns were thinking about drafting him, No, they were. Their GM obviously was former teammate of Lebron's and I'm sure they thought about it. Thinking about it and wanting to do it. Those are two very different things, right, And you know, the GM of the Mavericks used to run Lebron James Academy in Camp and was his connection with he worked for Nike right, So obviously there's a great relationship there. So again thinking about it and actually doing it, they drafted a player who wasn't going to be drafted with the fifty to fifth pick, which is the right to do. Lebron got emotional. You can see bronni and there is the real human aspect of it. It's not just father and son. It's a father who you know, a year ago his son had a heart attack and nearly didn't live, let alone play basketball again. So that part of it is amazing. And I can't imagine as a parent going through all of those ups and downs. And if you're a parent, you know what it's like a coaching your own kid, watching your own kid, you know, seeing his struggles. All you want them to do is achieve and succeed. And again then you bring in the idea that Lebron didn't have a dad overcame so much in terms of a personal life, and I know, we sit there and go a six eight, two sixty, what did he overcome?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: It ain't easy. It's not easy to deal with all of the things that come to trappings of fame. And we have never had not one off the court incidant, not one off the court incident from lebron James during his storied NBA career. I mean, it's really remarkable how sound he is in his personal life. That said, like, you know, it just it doesn't feel like it has anything to do with Bronni's development and Bronnie being a legitimate NBA player and it it just and because of it, like forcing, it just feels awkward. I don't know, it feels way more awkward than even Giannis's brothers. I'm not I'm not exactly sure why. And they were part of teams and they played and it was bad and whatever. But and I know this has happened before and it will happen again in some senses in the NBA, but this one feels.
Speaker 3: Different sure, and and and the Bucks did it for reasons that I think that they felt would keep Giannis in town. And this is the Lakers doing Lebron a solid But you talk about it being awkward, like the awkwardness, how does Bronni feel?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: How does how does Bronny develop relationships within that locker room with dad now in the locker room, like how does how is I appreciate your insights and there are others who are who are fair as well. But with some of the rhetoric that we had heard with him being drafted, specifically on ESPN's draft coverage, but how are we going to get an honest assessment of who he is and what he is? And in that case, I feel bad for Bronnie in him being in an awkward position. It would I think it would have been much cooler if he was on another team, Doug and it's the Lakers against Sons or whoever, and it's father against son in that way, I just think it's I don't know how this works. Like when Ken Gray and Ken Graffy junior, you know, Senior and Junior played together, Junior was the up and coming star, right, you know, And that is not the case here. So how Bronni's gonna find his way just even in a locker room where dad is. I just I have I don't know. I don't know how that works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And look, and I think we talked about the sum on my show about Lonzo Ball, right, and that one of the reasons that I think Lonzo it probably set back. The biggest set back to his NBA career was his knee But one of the reasons that Lonzo was so kind of passive in terms of his leadership and not being necessarily vocal is his dad took up all of the oxygen in the room, right, So the son just like you can't have two loud personalities every time they're in the room together. And Bronnie's much the same way, you know, And and yeah, Bronnie always tries to make the right play, but there's just a lack of, Hey, I'm not going to take over any game or take over and that actually blends well, like I think he'll fit and find in the locker room, but like, at some point you want to be your own man, right, Yeah. And I have a player who his dad was a player. He's a really talented kid. And when we first met, like he's kind of he was kind of quiet and you know, looking at his phone a lot, and he wasn't awkward, but he definitely wasn't kind of an outgoing personality. And his dad when his dad went home, like this, every day he has been here, he has become more and more part of the group and more and more outspoken and just kind of lights up. And it's not that and his dad has done nothing wrong, Like his dad just loves him, protects him, and they're really really close and he's kind of his mentor and his coach and his everything. But like, at some point, you get to be nineteen twenty years old, like you kind of got to go be your own dude and make your own mistakes. And I just think that Lebron is I don't know if we want to say coddling him, but it's gonna be really hard to be your own guy when your dad is Lebron and you're on like you're on the same team. That one's just gonna be weird.
Speaker 3: I just I don't know, like if if let's you say, Lebron you know, just kind of goes off in practice or is on one or something and you're sitting around with five or six guys and Bronni's there where normally you would say, and again, not Bronnie's fault at all, It is not his fault. But how do you be like poy Lebron was on one today without having a you know, not not a fear, but just to being comfortable in being able to talk about, you know, what is you know, what you normally would talk about in the locker room or with your group of guys.
Speaker 2: You know, there's there is another element to it. I agree with you on that. By the way, I agree with you on that. We talked about this a lot last night just among friends. Is what do you think they do with summer league? Cause I'm gonna tell you right now, Like, I don't know summer league is gonna be great for Brownie. I just don't, like, he hasn't played a lot of ball, and like they will come at you in summer league, like all those guys like that is chum in the water, and you know, he needs to play summer league. He needs to play extensively in summer league. But I don't know how that works out. I don't know how that that feels. And some of it, I mean, I just I think that's a really interesting And we've seen like last year Wemby played two games. We've seen other guys play a couple games and then pull him. You know, do they say he's got an injury? Does he play until he plays a good game and then all of a sudden, you know, he tweaks an ankle and they're gonna sit him down, or he's got a hamstring pull or something like that. The Summer league aspect of it, because the legal want him to play. The Lakers are already a gigantic draw. He's gonna be a gigantic draw. And now, like you, you can hide a guy and barely play him in an NBA game and play five minutes and you know, and and take a couple of shots whenever. It's actually harder in Summer League in many ways because it's less organized and all of those other guys are trying to make it in the league. They are licensed assassins, and they are gonna come right at Ronnie James, and it'll be interested to see how he plays, because he has been somebody that's been passive in many of those in many of those type of moments.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: So we got two aces on back to back holes in the US Senior Open, Ohait, and we got Brianie James being drafted. So there's some stuff going on. Luxury SUVs now come with a Luxury of choice. Mercedes Benz has gone gas electric and plug in hybrid offerings. Learn more about the E class SUVs from your local dealer at nbusa dot com slash special offers. I'm Doug Gottlieb. He's Dan byerworn for Dan and Dan nets today coming up on the Dan Patrick Show here on Foxsports Radio. What does it say about the college game? What does it say about the American product that so many foreign players go before domestically born players. We'll get to that with Dan Dockets up coming next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 6: Hey, what's up everybody? It's me three time Pro Bowl of LeVar Arrington, and I couldn't be more excited to announce a podcast called Up on Game.
Speaker 2: What is Up on Game?
Speaker 6: You asked, along with my fellow Pro bowler TJ. Hutschman, Zada and Super Bowl champion. Yep, that's right, Plexico Burris. You can only name a show with that type of talent on it.
Speaker 2: Up on Game.
Speaker 6: We're going to be sharing our real life experiences loaded with teachable moments. Listen to Up on Game with me Lebar Arrington, t J. Hutchman, Zada, and Plexico Burrs on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcast from.
Speaker 2: Doug Gotti been for Dan Dane's Dan Patrick Hill, Fox Sports Radio, iHeartRadio app. You know there's something Dan to m Dan Byrom Doug gottlieb Dan, then that's out for the week. There's something to the process that we're doing or not doing with our own players that has allowed the international takeoff. Don't don't get me wrong. I saw the France thing coming. You know, three of the top six draft picks from France. If you played in France, if you've internationally, you traveled to France, you understand that game is way way more athletic than any other European game. But to me, I don't think there's any one part about it. I think it's the entire story, right, Like there's part of it. Where in the United States you have options. You know, if you're for example, you know most NBA players are six to and above right, But if you're six to and above in the States, there's a lot of options. Baseball players, baseball pitchers especially, are are tall. It's valued because you can generate more power right and you know you can reach halfway to home play. There's lots of quarterbacks that are and to a lesser extent, wide receivers, but quarterbacks would be really good basketball players at six two to six five, as well volleyball players. Right you're starting to get to some of the taller athletes. It does shrink a little bit of the But I think the biggest issue with our country's development as opposed to other countries development, is the fact that there's just no consistency for these players growing up. And it's almost an upset when they make it because they don't. It's yes, they play too many games, but part of it is they don't have to earn playing time. There's a million AAU teams. So if one coach won't play you in order to get you in the right headspace or get you to play defense, or get you to play team basketball, oftentimes your parent or your handler will just take you to a different AU team. And the same thing happens in college. I'm wondering if that's what Dan Dockets thinks. Of course, he's got his show and OutKick called Don't at Me Monday through Friday nine am to eleven am Eastern time. Of course, he's a long time college basketball coach, head coach and a long time basketball analyst as well. Dan, are we screwing it up? Is the coaching development better? Do they just have better personnel? Why do you think hypothesize for me if you will that you know there's such an international takeover in the NBA draft.
Speaker 5: Done. Thanks thanks for having me. Uh. I think it's a lot of things. Like I think, athletically, body wise, strength wise, we've never been better in the United States. And I'm talking about basketball. Guys are bigger, guys are stronger. It's just kind of funny everybody, you know, because of Michael Jordan and Barklay and those guys, goes back to kind of when I was playing, which is the mid eighties, and I look at guys like Charles Hurd at Kentucky that now would be small. So we've got that going. I think it's a number of things, and you touched on a couple. I think there's a lack of discipline and a lack of internal toughness in our players. I think that if you go back and you look, one of the things that was always stressed back in the day by coaches, college coaches was toughness. She had to fight, you had, it'd be tough. Ho you paranoia, Bob Knight, you know, even Dean Smith and those guys Krzyzewsky, everything about you know, persevering and getting better. And now, as you said, it's about hey, I'm going to the best offer. And you know you're you're probably finding this out. As a college coach. You can talk about your business program, your facilities, but you could have wasted all that time. Are you wasting all that time if you don't just hit them with what number? And And that's the part of it. I think the entitlement when we're young. You know, I coached a you and my son was young, and I watched and with amazement in Las Vegas as these dumb ass jackass hangers around would kiss the ass of these fifteen year olds fourteen year olds, and I hated it. And and that's a part of it. I also think that, frankly, we we take it for granted. Like back in the day, Bob Knight, Dean Smith, Hank I, Pete, all the great coaches would go to Europe. They would all go to Europe. And I didn't really know this until I started coaching, and I'm like, wow, man, we got you know, Spain's entire coaching staff hanging out with us for three weeks at Indiana taking notes. Well, okay, that's come one hundred eighty degrees. Now he talked to Dusty May. Where you get your good offensive sets from? Well, I get him from, you know, watching European basketball. I get him. Well, they've taken basketball more serious. They've they've innovated. We have given the ball to guys and said go dribble, and that's what we do. And when you see a team, you know, like Yukon that actually moves people and has some innovation to him, you're like stun Well, it wasn't always like that here. You know, Dean Smith's secondary break upscreen crossed me down. All that stuff was innovative. It was movement, Bob Knight's motion offense. Krushewsky had motion until he didn't. You look at even the UCLA offense of John Wooden high post duck in post reversed if EO options. You'll see any of that now. In fact, I'll tell you what Doug. When I work for Samson, I know Calvin Sampson is considered a great coach. I don't uh. He gets players to play hard and whatever. But when we had an offensive set. It was basic, simple, stupid actually based on my experience with Bob Knight. And then we would I would in charge of the offense. I would wave my hand and then flattened out. Give the ball, Eric Gordon. And that's it. And that's not how Europeans play basketball. That's not how Europeans are taught to play basketball, but we are. And I think I think it's a combination of all the things that you mentioned, all the things that I mentioned. Uh, but it pisses me off because I know you know that you knew the French were coming, but I don't care the French, the freaking French. And I know they colonized a lot of Africa. I get all that, but the freaking French should never be better than the United States of America in basketball. They just should not the freaking French. The Serbians my people, yes, but not the damn French. No French.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm taking me off is the the Lakers pig of Dalton cann act was praised by many, but the knock was that Dalton drops because of his age. That's the stuff that annoys me of this draft, because his route is one that you know that is legendary. You could, you know, you could make a movie about it if you wanted to. But here's a knock on a kid, who, by the way, is still twenty three years old. That's the stuff that takes me off about this NBA draft.
Speaker 5: I think NBA general managers are the dumbest human beings in sports in terms of administration. I listened to these guys, these guys probably doing with you. They would call me and I remember telling Brad Stevens. They go, Brad, it's only a matter of time before you win. Like every NCAA title, or excuse me, every NBA title that we talk about, I will because you call me every year. A lot of these guys call me every year, and they're stupid. They're just stupid. And I'm just fascinated by a guy that's twenty four. However, well connect is And if you think about it, Doug, I'm gonna go back to what I said initially. What I said initially was guys are in better shape, Guys are playing longer. Tell even Michael Jordan wasn't in near the shape at thirty nine or forty that Lebron James is. So why do I care. In fact, I should embrace the fact if I'm trying to win, then I'm gonna get an older, mature guy that can be coached, that will look a coach in the eye, not look away and run to his handler. I should embrace a guy whose body is developed as a twenty four year old if I'm trying to win. Now, you know how many of these guys you know that came into the league from the United States at eighteen really became great players. You know, people are gonna punk the Kobe. Okay, there's a couple, but they're outliers. There's so many guys that come into the league at a young age. I remember when Tyson Chandler and Eddie Curry were drafted to replace Michael Jordan, and I remember thinking, as a Bulls fan, well, it's gonna take ten years, you know what I mean, Like this is gonna take what I mean. I remember you've probably played against Tyson Chadler, you know, growing up as a kid, I remember thinking, Okay, yeah, they're good players, but they're not going to compete with these guys. You know, both fans, it is ten twenty and it never happened. So it's a joke. But I'm telling you my opinion, the NBA general manager and his staff know less about basketball than any I guarantee they know less about basketball than your staff at Green Bay. I bet freaking money they know less about basketball than your staff at Green Bay or any good staff that's put together with basketball guys. I've talked to these guys, I've listened to these guys. I've heard these guys evaluate, And my opinion, Brad Stevens has the easiest job in Americas because he's just smarter than all these dumbasses.
Speaker 2: I think there's some I think it's like any business. I think there's some really smart people.
Speaker 5: I think there's well, yeah, mature and I'm immature.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm just speak just like like, look again, I think Polinka, Okay, Plinka's done a great job drafting. Look at their draft record. You know that the bad pick would probably be Lonzo Ball, and that was one that was forced by magic. Right, they didn't want to take Lonzo Ball. That was that was forced by magic. Plink has done actually a damn good job with his staff of evaluating in terms of draft. What do you think of the Brownnie thing?
Speaker 5: Well, let me, stop you that, because I guess maybe I didn't make what I was saying, Claire. Yeah, yeah, you can pick a guy, but can you put a team together? And to me, that's what a general manager's job is. You know, people can talk all they want about Jerry Kraus because Michael Jordan's mad at him and all that. But when they needed a guy, he went out and got Tony Kukos. When they need another guy, he went out, Well he got Scottie Pippen. He went out and got Steve Kerr or Phil Craig Hodges was in that role. John Paxson was in that role. Guy can make a draft choice, but can a guy put a team together? Does he understand putting personalities? Like the moves? I always said this about a kid here in Indiana, Romeo Langford. He not playing basketball to play basketball. He was at a young age by shoe company. He's coming at him same thing with a kid out of Indiana named Luke Record. So, uh, my man, Brad Stevens understands. Look, people think this Romeo Langford is a good player. People think Malcolm Brogden's a good player. Well they're not. They're good players maybe, but they're not winning guys, So I'm gonna go get Derek White.
Speaker 2: I think here, I think he didn't he draft Romeo Langford.
Speaker 5: He made? Yeah he did. Yes, he did, and I told him not to. Yes.
Speaker 2: So even even even the smartest people, and I think Brad is one of the smartest people I have ever met. Let alone, forget about basketball. Then they can make can make mistakes. And again it's a it's a cosic balancing act. Let me just let me ask you about the about Bronnie, Right, what do you think about Bronnie going fifty five to Lakers.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm kinda I'm like, look, the Greek freaks brothers all got drafted. I'm saying this yesterday. I might Indie Shield, a great freaker brothers got drafted. Lebron James. I think he's kind of earned the right. I kind of like Lebron James. And this goes back to high school when I recruited his high school recruits, not him, but his teammates and everybody from janitors to teachers really like Lebron James. Because I've always been kind of for Lebron James. And I think his kid's a nice kid. And I sit there and I go, all right, well, is it really the worst thing in the world. You know, kid didn't have a preseason, got scared with a hard thing. Maybe he's better you with no way better than me. How good he is or how good he is, And I don't know, but I really don't have a problem with it. And I do agree with what Loach said, even though you know, I didn't like the way he said it, but you know, I do agree. Like nepotism is all over hell. We got we got scouts here in Indiana, Larry Bird's kid and a J. Foytz kid, the race car driver like his grandsoner scouts for the Pacers. So nepotism is all over the place. I really don't have a problem with it. I you know, it seems like a nice kid. What the hell if you're the Lakers as well. I was hoping to eight Doug. I was hoping the Pacers would draft him and hold him hostage, like I said, all right, hey, Lebron, come here. You know, we'll pay you, or we'll trade Brownie back to the Lakers for like Austin Reeves or something, you know what I mean, like like draft him and hold him hostage to the Lakers, But I don't know. I don't have that big a problem with him.
Speaker 3: What about Jack Edie to the Grizzlies. We had Mark Stein on earlier and we're all trying to figure out how that is going to work. You've seen as much of Edie as anybody. How does he work at nine with the Grizzlies?
Speaker 5: Ninety a little early? But I do like this. The trainer that Purdue was my trainer, Bowling Grain. He's one of the smartest guys that I know. And I asked him about Edie and he said, look, he's the best thing ever happened to Zachie played for the Canadian team last summer and he learned about professional basketball. You know, there's some pros on that's a pretty good team. And he said, you know what he learned about conditioning. He learned about how he has to move his feet out, you know, screw the jump shot, which everyone was telling him he had to do. You'll get to that later, but learn to get in the best shape possible. And that's that's what he did. So I'm not one of those that eliminates zach Heat he dues. You would love him from the fact that he had and I'm guessing you've talked to him. He has a real chip on his shoulder, not one of these fake chips. You know what I'm saying. He has a real chip on his shoulder, Like he's legit in his desire to improve, improve people wrong that kind of thing, you know, as you know, a lot of kids say that, as you know, a lot of cads are taught to say that. But I think Edie's is really legit. And I'm not gonna put anything past him. Is he going to be a thirty point game score? He's gonna be an All Star? I don't think so. But I'm not gonna put anything past him being a double digit score in his first year, or being a guy that people go, damn, you know what, He's pretty good. He's better than I thought.
Speaker 2: That's Dan Dockets. Check out his show Don't at Me Monday through Friday, nine am to eleven am Eastern time. W You're the best man. Have a great weekend.
Speaker 5: We'll talk so, Doug, I just appreciate what you having me. Bro.
Speaker 2: That's Dan dock Shaw with Dan Byer. I'm Doug Gottlieb. It's The Dan Patrick Show. Fox Sports Radio. We continue with some of the great debates in sports, or maybe some of the worst debates in sports. We even have a very recent debate between me and Jason Stewart, our Steam producer, over should show Hey O Tani be in the home run derby this year. We'll discuss that next to The Dan Patrick Show Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Doug Gottlieb Dan Byron for Dan Dannett's Fox Sports Radio I Heart Radio App. Welcome in, I would do It's Friday night. Uh, we've been doing this throughout the show. On the back of whatever you want to call those debates. Last night, we thought we would bring you the debate to end all debates of the best and worst sports debates in sports, debating whatever. So with that in mind, Dan Bayer, help us out, what's the next debatable Topicly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Doug, we are finding out where you stand on the all time sports debates. We've settled Lebron versus Jordan, Magic, versus Bird Bowls versus Warriors. Heck, we even settled Shack versus Kobe. We now transition away from basketball, go to a variety of different areas. Jack Nicholas versus Tiger Woods, Doug where do you stand on who is the greatest of all time?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Tiger Woods. By the way, recruiting last weekend took me away from going and playing in this event with Jack Nicholas, and Jack Nicholas was my dad was at Ohio State when Jack was there, So I mean, you talking about the dude. But I think Tiger obviously the depth and the depth of overall talent and the complete domination. And I understand he didn't match up with a number of majors. I think a good portion of that is injuries, but his ability to grind and get top ten finishes. I just think the fields were tougher. It's really it's a deeper pool of players. Obviously a lot of the depth of talent now in golf is because Tiger made golf cool for kids going back twenty years ago, thirty years ago. But I'm gonna go with Tiger Woods.
Speaker 4: Jason Stewart, I'm gonna go Tiger Woods. Better golfer, worse husband.
Speaker 3: Hey, I would say I would say Tiger as well. And for a long time I was actually on the jack side of things just because it was majors, that's what That's what it was for me. But when Tiger won his fifteenth Masters and beat the generation that he inspired, that was that's what put it over the top. For fifteenth Major, fifteenth Major. Yeah, what did I say Masters? I'm sorry? Yeah, fifteenth Major, twenty nineteen Masters, that's what put it over for many.
Speaker 2: That was amazing.
Speaker 3: It was amazing, Joel, is it a clean sweep or are you going with the buck guy that is Jack Nicholas, a Michigan man, would never go with a Buckeye. I would say Tiger Woods. But I was so impressed with the interview.
Speaker 4: I saw of Tiger.
Speaker 3: Woods as a kid dealing with racism in clubhouses in different states, and for him to come out to be the Tiger Woods he is. Kudos to Tiger.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The hurdles that Tiger had to go through absolutely amazing. All right, Wimbledon starts on Monday. There will be no Federer, there will be no Nadal, but there will be Novak Djokovic, greatest men's tennis player of all time. Djokovic Federer, Nadal, Doug.
Speaker 2: Who you got Aaron Kristine at the US Open, or Guy Yeah, or or Jimmy Connors when he christ. Yeah, here I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go with Novak Djokovic. I mean, truthfully, I think it's nadologist injuries and I mean I know he dominated on clay, but I mean for a clay court player to play as well as he did on grass, uh and on hard court, but just the injuries, I'm gonna go with Djokovic.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, his stance on the code vaccine is inability to be truthful probably cost him at least two more uh but in Australia. But I still think he's the greatest ever.
Speaker 3: Jason Stewart, Oh wow, what Doug just said.
Speaker 4: I think half our listeners are like, you mean, the UH mandates and the governments kept him from when But anyways, I won't go there, no, no, no, But.
Speaker 2: Like if we're honest, if we're realistic about it, had he just been like, there's something to just saying I'm not getting the vaccine and that's not how he played it. So just just to be just to be full full disclosure, like he wasn't completely canid about it. So let's not act like he's canonized now because the vaccines in many ways weren't needed.
Speaker 4: I'm going to try to not hold Federer's branding and is that that emblem on his hat and clothes. I'm going to try to hold down like the I would never buy that, But I'm gonna say he's the greatest of all time.
Speaker 3: You got Federer. I actually will go with Djokovic as well. I think when it's all said and done that we'll look back and we'll say Djokovic.
Speaker 2: That's not a joke.
Speaker 3: No, it is not Joel Joel Jokovic, all right, Novak Djokovic.
Speaker 2: Matter of fact, Joel actually just changed his name legally to be with the D before the before.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, ah, good stuff. Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame or not in the Hall of Fame, don't ever where do you stand?
Speaker 2: Never again? Pete Rose has never once been honest about the fact that he bet on baseball while being a player manager in baseball. Never once doubt report doesn't lie. It's damning. He has never once owned up to it. And so you know there's a rule right there on the clubhouse every clubhouse in baseball camp out on the sport, and he violate that rule. What's the point had rules that we don't live up to him?
Speaker 3: Jason Stewart, where do you stand on Pete Rose in Cooperstown?
Speaker 5: See?
Speaker 4: I know it's a recent thing to undo punishments and let people out of prison for laws that no longer exist. But I'm always going to be the under the belief if you willfully do something you know is against the rules, you should be bound for life.
Speaker 3: The and for life never in. All Right, I'm gonna say, gosh, even to this moment, I'm gonna say in. I'm gonna say in just to be different, Joel, not question of Pete Rose, but music bed continuing in this segment or not continuing in this segment? Okay, Now the second question, Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame or never in the Hall of fame? Joel, He's in, but he's dead already. Oh, he caveat. Joel wants death first. But then it's split in versus never two to two, all right, Belichick versus Brady. Let's switch to the NFL. A couple more of these, then we'll wrap it up.
Speaker 2: Belichick.
Speaker 3: Jason I have to go with Brady on this one. Sorry, yeah, I'm going with Bill. Joel held to the victors. How about Patriots dynasty versus forty nine Ers dynasty? Just closer than people maybe would think, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna go Patriot. And my logic bind was the crazy part. The best Patriots teams didn't actually win a super Bowl. The undefeated team lost to the Super Bowl, and then Brady got hurt the next year with an unbelievable roster didn't actually win a super Bowl. To go ten years in the middle without winning Super Bowl, and then you know when the others in the back end, especially with the landscape of the sport changing so much. In the salary cap, I go Patriots.
Speaker 4: Jason Stewart, I can't argue with that. That's a good argument for Patriots.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting. I figured I feel that they cracked the code that nobody else got and actually feel that it put him at a stronger advantage where the Niners had to go through actually better teams. Give me the Niners in this one, Joel forty nine Ers or Patriots Patriots. Although the management with the Niners looked better than the Patriots, all right, Thursday night Must See TV on NBC A trifecta here, where do you lie? Cheers? Seinfeld Friends.
Speaker 2: Cheers one, Seinfeld two, Friends three.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the answer is cheers and Jason Stewart Man, Yeah, I think Cheers is the best.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna go Cheers. I'm not gonna rank them, just cheers.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna take Seinfeld on this one, Joel Cheers Cheers Wow. And finally in and out versus Waterburger.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah we hear it. Did not see that one coming.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: I hate this one. Actually, this is the This is the debate that I hate the most because it's just so annoying on a meet Friday. It's the only way to end it.
Speaker 2: I think I gotta go Terburger. I is this own me in my home state, whatever, But I'm gonna go let.
Speaker 4: A burger, Jason. I had a waterburger once. Uh, and it's tasted like a Burger king whopper, and that's much inferior to in and out.
Speaker 3: In and out burgers are best. I call it what an awful burger? Give me in an out Joel. The final say what a burger?
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 3: It is your debates of.
Speaker 2: All you ever had? You ever had doctor pepper shake at What Burger? No, that's good. Plus they got the spicy ketchup. What a ketchup? I love it. And at Burger and the people who say, well, I don't wake in Altburgers fries, that's because the other fries are not real French fries. These are real French fries. Huge Whataburger guy. And you know, if somebody would throw in some Kings of Wine rolls with him, that'd be amazing. Happy Meat Friday to you. Have a great weekend for Dan Bayer, Jason gorre Joel. I'm Doug Gottliep. This The Dan Patrick Show.