Speaker 1: I Am all In. Let's you.
Speaker 2: I Am all In with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Everybody Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcast one of eleven productions iHeartRadio, iHeart Media, iHeart Podcast Summer Part two of the Netflix episodes in conjunction with Warner Brothers Pictures.
Speaker 3: IHeart Podcasts. Listen on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: I Am joined by my Intrepid Cruise. Suzanne French. Danielle Romo will be joining us, and I think Amy is is off on other responsibilities, so we're just gonna get dive right into it. I know we already had a long discussion about this, Amy and I did, and Susanne's going to take us through at Suzanne.
Speaker 4: I will do that, thank you. So just to jump right in. So the opening is at the stars Hollow pool. Who even knew that stars Hollow had a pool, let alone, one that Laura, I and Rory would hang out at in long sleeves and pants.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, so.
Speaker 4: Quick little scene there kind of a little cringey, kind of some fat shaming going on.
Speaker 3: There a lot of fat shaming going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was kind of a running thread through the whole first half, like the whole first half of this episode was a little I wasn't a fan. I liked the second half a lot better. I did like in the next scene we get to have April. It was kind of fun to catch up with you know what April's been doing now she's heading off to grad school and that was a cute scene. I don't know about you, guys. One thing I wondered when when Luke and Laurela I were talking about sending her to Germany, and Luke said he had to pay for it, It made me wonder, like, where was Anna in all this?
Speaker 3: Where did she go? She just pieced out that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was kind of hoping that maybe, like April realized what a crappy thing Anna did by keeping her from her dad, and maybe maybe April cut ties with her.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure it.
Speaker 3: Was implied that obviously Anna. It was implied that Anna is not in April's life anymore, or at least not helping her with her life anymore. And I feel like we missed out on that story. I wanted to hear it. I wanted to hear what happened to Anna.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, there's a lot of unanswered questions there for sure.
Speaker 5: So the town meeting.
Speaker 4: I usually like the town meetings in the banter back and forth. This one was a little the whole thing with the air conditioning, it just was a little overplayed.
Speaker 1: I thought agree.
Speaker 5: The Something gang was kind of funny.
Speaker 4: Rory keeps saying I'm not back, I'm not back, I'm not back. That got a little I don't know, I felt a little annoying after a while.
Speaker 3: I liked the thirty somethings because I feel like everyone that has moved away from home and goes back to home, there is that group of people that you know from your high school that still live in that community, you know. So yeah, I did actually really like that. But the one bone I have to pick is isn't this city so that the town's so small? I feel as if the thirty year olds would all know each other. It was weird that Rory didn't know them.
Speaker 5: That's what I thought too.
Speaker 4: I'm like, wouldn't she have gone to like elementary school and middle school? Like we know, she didn't go to Stars hall O High except the one year, but she would have known them from just growing up with them.
Speaker 3: I thought the same thing, Yeah, she would have known them. And their parents and their families. So it's just odd that they were just meeting right.
Speaker 4: Right, and lauraa I too. There was the one scene in the diner where the lady was like, we're the parents of the thirty something gang. Like Laura would have known them also just from being around town. So so the town meeting is where we find out about the musical, which we'll get to the musical, and also we find out that the stars Hollow Gazette is shutting down, so it kind of sets up like the two major storylines for the episode. Back at the pool, Okay, so Luke is running around in the lifeguard shirt. What did we Was Luke actually the lifeguard or was that just a sh I didn't understand that because he kicked everyone out of the pool for no reason.
Speaker 1: I think it was a It was kind of a forced rant.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So right, So, introducing new fans to the Gilmore sphere via Netflix, and maybe they've been seeing memes or seeing, you know, hearing about this Luke who rants, Let's give him a RANTI Luke right away? You know, I don't know. It seemed to be forced to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just didn't I never pictured Luke as the lifeguard type because they established in the original series that he couldn't swim, so so.
Speaker 1: So true he took swimming lessons. Did we ever even see summer in the series?
Speaker 2: Like, I don't remember there being an episode of like like a really hot day in summer.
Speaker 4: There there was that hint of summer, that lazy, hazy, crazy episode where they were coming back at the end of summer.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, but we didn't really get I was like, there's a community pool, yeah, exactly. Yeah, that was a surprise to all of us. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then okay, so more. Yeah, and the thing with the kids, like the kids that were whole holding the umbrellas.
Speaker 5: I thought that was weird. I thought that was weird too.
Speaker 4: I kept thinking that was like a dream or something like. I kept waiting for the part where they were going.
Speaker 2: To wake up, right, right, Well, they followed Rory all the way until she was asking for the job, right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know this whole The whole first half of this episode just was like this alternate reality for me.
Speaker 3: The first half of this episode, the whole thing, the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it got a little better for me in the second half. Once once we got past the musical, although I actually liked the musical, but we'll talk about.
Speaker 5: That, okay.
Speaker 4: So then they run into Claudia, the therapist at at the audition for the musical, and we get a little glimpse of Sutton Foster in the background.
Speaker 5: That was kind of cool. I love Sutton Foster her.
Speaker 4: And then uh so, then that's the part you were just talking about, Taras when Rory goes into the market to to talk to Docie about which I mean it was it was appropriate, like who else but Rory is going to run the gazette.
Speaker 5: I mean, it was like the perfect setup.
Speaker 2: I like that he also challenged for a bit, knowing he's just going to give her the job.
Speaker 4: And then so then he walks her over to the paper to introduce her to the employees, all two of them. And I don't know that this was a case where they recycled the actor, but the the actor that played Charlie he was also in the original series. He was he was the minister at Grand's funeral, and he was also in the early in season one, he was in the steam room when Richard and and uh what's her name? Rory went to play golf.
Speaker 5: So I thought, funny, kind of cute.
Speaker 4: But that was a cute little scene, like you kind of see what Rory's set up for. And then okay, now the Dragonfly and with Michelle.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I was not a fan of Michelle in the last episode. I'm still not a fan of Michelle. In this episode, he's like because he's talking about having kids and so I guess he was like practicing being around kids and he was being like sickly sweet with that. I don't know, I didn't I didn't really like that.
Speaker 3: I'm right there with you. It's so un Michelle, like, yeah, I'd rather him be snarky.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. And so then he says he wants to go, you know, have a drink, and so that's when to talk. And then that's when Laura I realized, Okay, he's probably on his way out. Okay, what did you guys think of the Secret Bar?
Speaker 5: I thought, I thought, I loved it.
Speaker 3: This was my one saving grace for this episode. I loved the Secret Bar. Yeah, I thought, I want to go to the Secret Bar. And I feel like when Warner Brothers does their Christmas thing, they need to set up the Secret Bar.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Cool, This is so fun because.
Speaker 4: They did have it when we did the when you guys did that, the live event, the podcast event, I guess it was like, yeah, a year or two go now they did have the secret bar setup and they they had like food and stuff in there.
Speaker 3: It was really I must have missed that then. I don't remember seeing it. But throughout the whole series we always were saying why is there not a bar in Stars Hollow? So I like the payoff in the A.
Speaker 1: Lot of these old historic towns are dry.
Speaker 6: They're dry.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't want them to be dry. Luke and MORELEI to have a drink out.
Speaker 4: I loved how they all clearly have been through it before, where Taylor walks by and everybody like.
Speaker 5: Grabs a table.
Speaker 4: It's like puts themselves up against the wall, like they've clearly done this many times.
Speaker 3: The candles blowing out the candles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then Taylor's like like you like you think something's up, but maybe not quite, and he just keeps going. But then this is where you know, Michelle and Laurla have kind of their heart to heart that he's leaving and and yeah, actually that's that's true. Jackie's noting that they did Casey's was in Stars Hollow.
Speaker 3: That was at like the very end, right, there was at least like a few seasons where we didn't have a bar.
Speaker 4: Right right, And they don't They weren't super obvious about it.
Speaker 5: It was it was kind of.
Speaker 2: Was was like, was it an arcade or a bar or an arcade bar.
Speaker 3: A barcade, barcade?
Speaker 1: Do you remember?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that was more of an arcade because Luke went in there to get change.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, so I don't know. So we don't really have nothing established at least.
Speaker 4: And I don't think I think at that point Dean Woods wasn't underage, so I don't.
Speaker 5: Know if he would have been in a bar.
Speaker 4: Got it, Okay, let's see and then okay, so start they're back at Then they go to the Star's Hollow Gazette. Rory's having trouble with the forty year old computer. Then Lourlai comes by to talk about Michelle, and then we start the trope of drinking scotch. Okay, now this the whole, the whole thing with the first issue of the paper, and they're running all over town delivering it.
Speaker 5: Parts of that We're cute. I thought it was a little long. I don't know what you guys thought.
Speaker 2: That was fine. I liked it.
Speaker 3: Any excuse to go to the different places and stars hollow. I'm more so, you know, like I enjoyed all of that for the most part.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and when the townspeople were doing tai.
Speaker 4: Chi and she's like, yeah, the papers in their hand at the same time, that was that's cute.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then okay, so then we go back to the Dragonfly and I know I said this on the previous episode, but I don't like the Dragonfly scenes without Suki, Like it's just they made it so stressful. Every single Dragonfly scene to me, was just full of tension.
Speaker 3: And well attention because Michelle's leaving, they don't have Suki. Rachel Ray is trying to cook up something and saying delish, trying to save the day. You know, it's I agree with you. We are missing Suki and Michelle can't leave. He needs to stay there.
Speaker 4: Right this time, we've got Luke there, and Luke is ticked off because he's trying to run her kitchen on Hamburger.
Speaker 5: Day and also run his own business. I had to laugh. The pat lafreda comment.
Speaker 4: When I was in New York City earlier in the spring, I saw a Pat Lafrida truck and I had to take a picture of it because I'm like, that's from Kilbot Girls, And nobody knew what I was talking about. I'm like, Okay, well, I thought it was funny, but yeah, just.
Speaker 5: Kind of just tense.
Speaker 4: There's tension between Lorelei and Luke.
Speaker 5: I don't know, lots of tension.
Speaker 1: I liked working in the kitchen. It was a nice open kitchen. Yeah, yeah, those scenes were always fun. It wasn't as cramped as the diner. Diner was a very cramp space. That was a little more open.
Speaker 4: They always had the dragon black kitchen always had like gorgeous vegetables and all this like fresh.
Speaker 7: Like a full display, right exactly, exactly, Okay, So then we there's more newspaper delivering feet hurt, et cetera.
Speaker 4: They dragged one of the kids into it, and then.
Speaker 5: Okay, so Doyle. I thought that was a cute.
Speaker 4: Little cameo from Doyle where he had written something like Rory asked him to write something for the paper and then he was completing that.
Speaker 5: She ruined the review.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was.
Speaker 4: It was cute, and then the I thought it was funny. The two I can't think of their names now, that the two older people that were in the Esther and Charlie from the newspaper, and they're like, I'm going to the gym.
Speaker 5: Are you going, I'm gonna change I'll meet you over there, hanging on by a thread. Yeah, that was cute. And then.
Speaker 4: Okay, so then Rory calls Emily. Emily is strangely asleep in the middle of the day.
Speaker 3: I find it interesting that Rory was the one that had to call it out, like Grandma's still sleeping and Laurla I didn't think anything of it. Obviously, If Emily's sleeping till noon, something's weird.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's kind of consistent with Laura, Like she's not really too concerned about what her parents are doing. Yeah, unless something's wrong, like obviously, but it Yeah, I think Laura was just kind of in her own world with everything else that was.
Speaker 5: Bothering her.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, so now the musical.
Speaker 5: Let's let's talk about this musical.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed it more than I think you guys did. But I after that first scene at the pool, in the Southern Ladies Southern Bells. I kind of bought into the absurdity of it because I kind of liked what Dan was going for. So by the time I got to the musical, I was I was primed, I was ready, I was expecting anything, and I ended up overall just really enjoying. The musical is the best part of the episode so far in my opinion, the best writing, the best acting, the best obviously the best scene, but it was the most risky and the most fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's just something that, you know, it's difficult to write something that's supposed to be perceived as like it's so bad that it's good. It's in such bad taste that it's actually really good. Yeah, but I thought it was an incredibly amusing homage to Star's Hollow, really really funny stuff. It's like something mel Brooks would have done or Robert you know what I'm saying, or s J. Pelmo or something along those lines. You know, really really enjoyed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I enjoyed it too. I it's.
Speaker 4: If you listen to the lyrics, it's hilarious, really fun It is really funny. But I do I think many many, many fans hate the musical. They think it's a waste of time, that it took time away that they could have spent like developing other storylines or seeing other characters.
Speaker 2: So that's the thing for me is I liked it. I just thought it was a little too long. Yeah, like I really enjoyed it. I just could have Yeah, it's gonna make it shorter.
Speaker 3: I agree. And also nothing against Sutton Foster, love her, but why why her? I don't know. I felt like, if you were going to do a musical, have it be Miss Patty's musical or have it be Kirks. I just I didn't think I was watching the Gilmore Girls, you know, a year in the life. I didn't feel like I was watching the show, So it was I.
Speaker 4: Think that's how a lot of fans feel, well.
Speaker 1: What is this? So this would be the third one that they would have downloaded right to watch if they're bitching it, And that's how the behavior is, as they'll Bingeji'll watch, they'll just watch it all in one night or something one day, So this would be the third one. By the third episode, you kind of realize that, uh, this Gilmour train went off the tracks and they're not developing storylines in an expectant way. They're not sort of in keeping with the first seven seasons, and this has gone in another direction. And you know, all the hopes and dreams of the fans and what has happened over nine years, Well, this didn't happen, and that didn't happen for Orriy, and this didn't happen for Luke and Laureli and so on and so forth. And now you know, Richard's gone, and it's a lot, it's a big adjustment. So what do you do as a writer, a creator of something so iconic and so special and now even you know, back in twenty sixteen, it was woven into the fabric of American pop culture. It was mentioned the Time Magazine's top one hundred shows of all time, you know that kind of thing. Okay, So I just think that Amy and Dan decided to take a completely different approach because what they had done there. I mean, if you try to duplicate something that has been so great nine years prior, because we've aged, they've changed as writers, They've you know, they're they're writing different things now. So you know, nobody asked them how hard it is to get back into character because I only had to get back into one character, and it was difficult for me to get back into a character that I owned, right, Imagine what it's like for Amy and Dan to get in back into character for twenty five characters or thirty characters. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: So I caught them a lot of flak because you know, they're just genius writers a and they had a big haul, So they just decided in the moment. I think, I don't know for certain, it would nice. It would be nice to hear from the horse's mouths that they just decided to maybe in their estimation, expand the Gilmour universe and take it into places you're not expecting. And that's what great are to. They do things, They go in directions, and they do things that surprise, shock, and not always delight their fan base. But for them, it's them stretching muscles and enjoying the writing process and seeing where they can take it. And it's like, you know, and it's still iconic to them and all that, but it's like we have to write something that we're feeling and that we're sensing, and that that is pure for us right now, in this moment with these characters, and this is what we get. So I kind of stopped fighting it and thought, you know, give in, take the ride. And I actually enjoyed this episode. I really did. I really appreciated what they tried to do with their own baby. They bought their baby new clothes. You know, a lot of people didn't like the clothes, but you know, there was some new, bright colors, and nobody thought you were going to dress up your baby that way. But and they took real risks, And I think that's the sign of a real artist, is people who take risks. And I've heard all of the theories. Well it's a you know, they didn't like their fans and it's an few to the fans. And I don't buy into that stuff. There's no way. I mean no, I don't think so, you know, I don't even want to entertain that. But I just think it's it's hard to get into the head after nine years of thirty forty characters.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: And and if they're in the writing process, they want to take Rory down this Ali and they want to have Luke and Lorleay and this way, and it doesn't feel right or complete to me, the fans and you guys all that, But to those two incredibly creative, genius writers, this is what they've decided to offer up. This is how they were inspired to bring it to life, because maybe they just weren't inspired anymore. You know, it's like they left with a bad taste in their mouth. They didn't get their two year deal right, and they deserved it. They deserved more than that. They didn't get it. So now was there time to sort of maybe tie it all up, or or just try something completely new, you know, something experimental, something so far fetched that it couldn't be anything other than great, or you know, a flop.
Speaker 4: And tell me if I'm wrong on this, Scott. But as I recall from what I've read, is once it was decided, like the reboot came together really quickly, So it wasn't like they had a lot of time to write these four scripts for you know, one hundred and eighty minutes of television. Like they had to get it done quickly, so it wasn't like they had a lot of time for rewrites or you know, multiple versions and you know, kind of thinking it all the way through and then redoing it and you know, refining it. They just had to like, you know, we're shooting right away, so we have to work quickly to get a script together.
Speaker 1: It's a very good point. And you know, with all the other projects they had on their back burner, their front burners that they're trying to get off the ground and actually producing and and trying to get into shape.
Speaker 2: Because Masiel was around the same time, right straight around the same time.
Speaker 1: I think it was being fleshed out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, absolutely before mal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably probably what a year or two before. Did when did Mazel start? Eighteen nineteen seventeen, so you guess, yeah.
Speaker 5: So they would have been like in the development.
Speaker 1: State, they really would have been like writing scripts maybe even at that point. So yeah, it's it's a time management issue and it's like, oh, this thing just dropped in our lap. How are we going to do this, Dan, Let's talk it out. Let's let's see if we can storyboard this. I mean, what an endeavor four films And you know, they're smart enough and great enough writers that they can figure out how to write films, and they did. But it's a lot a lot to ask two writers in such a short period of time to write four screenplays and it's a three hundred and one, one hundred and eighty three hundred and sixty minutes of solid entertainment. That's hard. Writing one screenplay is really hard. I've written fifteen screenplays, you know how hard they are to write? Well, I mean it's just like you got to write ten just to know what not to do, you know. Yeah, But it's like these got these these two you know, they cobbled something to get the other. That was I don't know even if even if you say to yourself, they just flew by the seat of their pants, They just threw a bunch of stuff down on paper. They opened a couple of the crates of wine and just had a good time and let it fly. Good for them, you know, because it was all in all, if you don't take it too seriously, it's a fun ride.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's that's what I tell people, and I probably have said it on the podcast that like, you can't go into the reboot expecting it to be just a continuation of season seven, like it's you have to really just judge it on its own merits, because it's a completely different beast and you know, to your point, Scott, it was nine years later. So not only are all the actors nine years older, but the writers were nine years older too. Everybody had, you know, just our country was a different place, a different perspective, like everybody was, you know, just looks at the world differently, and you know, we're all more mature and just think about things differently. So it just it's not unexpected that that would come out in the writing as well. So, but there are some hilarious moments in the musical. So if anybody is listening that hasn't actually listened to the lyrics, put the captions on and listen to what they're actually saying, because it's it's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Huge fan of the of the musical, Huge fan. I would pay money to see a full length stars.
Speaker 4: And it's catchy, like you know, you sing the songs and yeah, sorry, I am quiet.
Speaker 1: I just I can't disagree with And if Sutton Foster that other guy were starring in it, I'd be the first one in law.
Speaker 5: That's her ex husband.
Speaker 1: By the way, Oh is that right?
Speaker 6: Oh really?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That would be a fun night out at the theater.
Speaker 4: So Danielle, I want to hear what I go, I want to hear what you think.
Speaker 3: Just no, bleno. I didn't like it. I didn't like it. I was confused. I didn't know why so much emphasis was on these characters we don't care about. What did it offer to the storyline?
Speaker 5: Nothing?
Speaker 3: In my opinion, If it was isolated, cool, I'm sure it's entertaining just as a part of this very precious four series reboot. I'm not interested in it. Sorry, I sounded really mean.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, I think that that's a popular opinion.
Speaker 3: Okay, what if you what if?
Speaker 1: And you know I saw it as Amy and Dan's love letter to stars hollow.
Speaker 3: Hollow people?
Speaker 1: How could we That's where I think that people can't sing and dance like that.
Speaker 3: Well, I've seen Kirk do it many times.
Speaker 1: No, no, I mean I'm talking.
Speaker 3: Miss Patty runs a dance studio, so she better.
Speaker 1: I understand. I understand. I understand what you're saying. But to have all of us or not Luke probably wouldn't want to be a part of it. But to have all of the Gilmore characters in a star's hollow musical, we you know, couldn't execute at the level of what Sutton, Foster and her ex husband, and everybody up on that stage was doing that is a a that is an art form and a discipline that is and Sutton Foster's at the top of her game and probably at the top of that category. I mean, she's winning Tony Awards as a Broadway musical actress. So it's a very very very very particular discipline.
Speaker 3: You know, Sutton Foster, no discredit to her. She did a fabulous job job and she's so talented. I just didn't want it in this, you know, like I said, isolated in some other show or as its own thing, great fantastic entertaining as a part of this just felt very off off.
Speaker 1: All right, Okay, just for a second, pretend you're Amy Sherman Palladino. Okay, You've had this massive, massive success with Gilmore Girls. You are being recognized as one of the and feted is one of the great talents in Hollywood behind the scenes. Okay, the awards haven't poured in yet, and I always knew that they would, and I even wrote Amy an email stating that it was like a hang in there, You're going to get more gold statues than you know what to do with that. I was right, because she was denied that on Gilmore Girls, and I thought some people this talented will not go unrecognized series after series after serious Imagine how they felt after Bunheads that got canceled after two years, right, And I think they did another one in New York City. Uh. And I think Scott Collen was was one of the stars of it. And I think Sutton Foster was was also the star of that show. And that didn't last but a year.
Speaker 3: If that, this is all I can say to this. You have two of the most popular boy bands in history in sync backshit. Boys never want a Grammy, But what do they give you? They give you what the fans want, and they give you those bangers and then give you those hits, and they are They always say, yeah, I've never won a Grammy, but.
Speaker 5: Who the hell cares?
Speaker 3: But that's music, same, same, same, same same same.
Speaker 1: I got where you're going with it to day, I'll get what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Boys won a Grammy recently, they just won their Grammy. Right, No, I don't think they haven't. They still haven't anyways.
Speaker 1: But but if I'm if, I'm Amy Sherman Paladino and now it's not the time.
Speaker 3: Amy Sharon do that in butnheads do it in a different series.
Speaker 1: I look at it like, Okay, if you want to do a music analogy, if what I would Jimmy Hendrix or Eric Clapton or Janis Joplin, or what would Carol King or somebody at that level, What would they do if somebody threw a boatload of money at him and said, you know, Jimmy, let's reimagine the experience and purple haze or whatever, acrosstown traffic or you know, or Eric, let's do Leila again. But here's the difference put it. You know, they would all come up with something radically different nine years later, right, They really really would, so I think so. The point I'm making is true artists, real deep artists. They try new things or else, they can't do it. They never ever ever go back and do the same thing. They don't do it. And it's not a knock on the fans. Okay, it feels like it for the fans. It's just the acknowledgment that we're artists. We live in the moment, we get inspired in the moment, and this is what inspired us to do this. This is what we're giving you now, So I don't want to. I don't want to judge it from a historical context. I just want to give it a chance and and sort of judge it and try to enjoy it with fresh eyes. And this is what we get in twenty and sixteen, after nine years of you know, because it was it was a sad ending for that show, which had far more life in it. So anyway, that's just those are my thoughts.
Speaker 3: That's fair. And maybe I just need to watch it again for more of an entertainment value, you know, instead of instead of the Gilmore Girls tug on my heart, you know, thinking it robbed us of some time in this episode. But I'm you know, I should go back and watch it as a little bit removed from that, and I'm sure it's entertaining, but for me watching it, I just immediately disassociated from it.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think that's a normal first response, because I will say I didn't always. I mean, I love the musical now, but I've seen it a bunch of times, so I didn't love it the first time either. I was like, well, I wanted to see I wanted to catch up with more characters. I want to see more you know, Luke and Laurelai. I want to see, you know, things work out for these people. And I'm like, who, like like you were saying, like at the time, I didn't even know who Sutton Foster was the first time I watched it, so I was like, who are Like do they live in the town?
Speaker 5: Like why are we watching this?
Speaker 4: So I think that your reaction, Danielle is completely normal for you know, the first time viewer and for me personally. It took a couple tries and then I like, I really started paying attention to it and listening to it, and it.
Speaker 5: Was once I was less disoriented than it.
Speaker 3: Was, like you saying that it was funny. I don't remember what they said. I just remember watching being like what oh.
Speaker 1: I roared with laughter and just the fact that that loralized reaction was abject horror. That's why. That's that's when I knew it was really funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Sam Pancake was sitting next to her and he's like, right, well, happy and excited, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody everybody would.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just thought, God, what what courage to write something like that or something like this, you know, to use this as a launching pad to do this again again.
Speaker 3: From a creative perspective, I really really do.
Speaker 1: I think it took a lot of balls to do that. And you know, there's a thing in writing where you gotta you gotta kill your favorite children, you know, in order to come up with something great, like if it doesn't fit in, you know, you got to get rid of it, you got to cut it out, that kind of thing. And just for them going back to you know, rehash old storylines and let's because you can't pick up where you left off. You got a sort of it's nine years later, So what happened? What happened? What if you know, things didn't go so well for Rory? What if Luke and Laura I didn't get married have a kid? And I know I've been tough on it, right, I've been, you know, peeved that it seems like they dumped on Luke a little bit and made him dumb and all this kind of stuff. But I'm not you know, I'm not the writer. I didn't create it. Okay, I can have my opinion. That's the beauty of collaboration between you know, intervative artists and creative artists, And that's that should that should happen more often on sets. I think it really should be that that that should be for it didn't happen a lot on our set, and I wish it did. But having said that, I really just tried to watch it as a new fan that heard about this Gilmore thing, hadn't seen the show, and let's just watch Summer Wonder. Let's let's check this out as a new experience. And I thought, boy, this'd be pretty good. She just were introduced to it, like, hey, go watch the Summer Thing, Like you see these two and they're they're being Southern bells and it's kind of funny and there, you know, and you just get into it. It's like, well, this is different, right, this could work for me. I mean, it's member, it's television, so you really what you know, and it's and it's and it's Gilmore Girls and it's Netflix, but it's still it's Gilmore Girls. So how do you how do you stretch that envelope? You can't stretch that envelope too much. I thought they took it to the nth degree the farthest they could. They could stretch the envelope for this and not make it like completely unrecognizable anyway.
Speaker 5: Then the end of that scene.
Speaker 4: I really loved when with Carol King when she says, oh, I wrote some songs, but I never did anything with them. Great, and then she plays I Feel the Earth movement.
Speaker 5: It was like it's not enough.
Speaker 1: She say, isn't that great? Was the fact to take it write something like that and Carol King play it and play it so well? Just yeah, I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, were you on set that day because you weren't in the scene. Were you around when she was playing?
Speaker 5: No, Unfortunately, that would have been amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So then we we go to Emily and Richards and Rory comes over to check on Emily and there's a TV in the living room. So this after the musical, is when the episode got.
Speaker 5: A little more Gilmore. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like it was the whole thing with the you know, the stars hollow in the pool and the boys with the umbrella like that was weird to me. But then it started to feel a little more Gilmoury. We had a da R meeting and then Rory suggests that maybe she go back to the club and you know, kind of get back in their social circle again.
Speaker 5: And so then the next scene.
Speaker 4: Okay, So, Danielle, do you want to talk about Jess.
Speaker 3: Right, I don't know if I want to. Oh no, I'm really disappointed, guys, I am very disappointed. He's my favorite character. Him and Emily are time hoping for. I was hoping for them to like flirt and maybe make out and for I don't know. I was hoping that he was endgame, which he's obviously not.
Speaker 4: And they haven't even seen each other for four years.
Speaker 3: At this point. He's just making her a better person, and she's giving zilch to him like nothing, and not even honestly even appreciative, like she just I don't know, He's just I wanted to see him and Luke hang out for at the diner like I want to. I I didn't get that interaction. I wanted Jess and Luke to have a whole moment and talk and do their thing, and then I wanted Jess and Rory to reconnect and talk about how they're doing and also their past like I wanted. I felt like there was no acknowledgment to what Jess was in the series to him in the movie. He could have just been a pass along character in these movies. You know, he seemed like he didn't have a presence in this series. Does that make sense? And he was such a pivotal part of the series that when he came back in the movies, I expected more, not a three minute scene where he's telling Rory to shape up and giving her advice. I don't know, it's just yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Wish there was more. But I also think it kind of followed from when we saw him come to Yale, Like that's how I felt like that was.
Speaker 3: Juicy, that was cool.
Speaker 5: I loved that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I just felt like they followed that storyline of it, do you know what I mean, coming in to give her advice and get her head on her shoulders. And but I also wonder because again I did say, I wish the musical was a tad shorter so we'd get more gilmore time. But I also wonder if like they only had him for one day, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, well pack up that day, make it figure it out. Yeah, I don't know, so I will let me do, let me down. I'm not gonna lie it maybe real real won't won't won't, won't want and my my favorite favorite character in this whole series.
Speaker 5: Just well, if it helps. That is not all that we see of.
Speaker 3: Jess better not Warner Brothers Studios.
Speaker 1: Jess gots a spin off.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: I thought the little thing in the back was cute where he goes outside and then grabs Luke's hat and throw it.
Speaker 3: I thought that was cute.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought that was nice.
Speaker 4: So then it goes to a week later at Emily and Richard's and.
Speaker 5: We meet Jack Smith.
Speaker 4: Who I swear when he turned around, I thought that was Robert Wagner, which is silly because he's.
Speaker 5: Like in his eighties but are actually nineties by now.
Speaker 4: But so Laurelai is like kind of bristling because she's like, who is this guy that's sniffing around?
Speaker 5: And then Emily kind of picked a fight with laurel I. She was mad Lareley just couldn't do anything right.
Speaker 4: She was Emily was going to be mad either way because she thought she was being dismissive, but then she wouldn't accept him either. So I think one of the key points in that scene was this is where laurel I found out about the real estate that Luke had gone out to look at real estate with Emily, which was a surprise to her. And then the okay, the cemetery scene, it was like it kind of choked me up.
Speaker 5: To see the headstone. I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: I did love that Emily has gone through like five though. Yeah, I did love that.
Speaker 5: That was a nice touch.
Speaker 4: Also got a little George Belle in that scene, so it was good to see him. And so then the book, Okay, so what did you guys? I want to I'm curious because I had a reaction to laurelize reaction to the book.
Speaker 5: What I did I do?
Speaker 3: I go utah, you go first.
Speaker 2: I I was a little taken back by a Laurelized reaction. I thought she would if she didn't want Roy to write about her. I think it would have been a little bit more of a conversation and Rory even like hit on the head where she's like, you're usually not passive aggressive towards me, like we talk it out. And I think that it was out of Lorelei's character to just be like, no, you can't do that, because she always wants her daughter to succeed. But I do understand that, like she doesn't want a story written about her. So I was like, I was kind of torn by it because I was like, I understand not wanting to be have your life written about you, but I didn't think she'd shut down Rory so quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I kind of agree. I was torn because I don't think Lorel I should be at fault for saying please don't write about me. But at the same time, this story is also Rory's story, a lot of it is, and so just kind of robbing her daughter from writing her own story too, in a weird way. But but yeah, I'm torn on it, and I'm actually really curious to see how this pans out.
Speaker 4: I was actually on laurel I side on this because Rory said she was going to start, you know, when Larela I was sixteen, and you know, the riches to rag story, like that's not Rory's story to tell, and so I kind of felt that I really understood where Laurel I was coming from that, like she doesn't want her secrets spilled out to the public because she very carefully created that little bubble that she raised Rory in to you know, be away from her parents or whatever, and so I really kind of understood Larelized perspective on that. And I think if Rory wants to write about her own experience, and obviously moral I is going to be included in that, then fine, But to write about Laurel I without lrelized permission was.
Speaker 5: A little weird to me.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Scott was did you think about Lorelei's reaction to the book proposal.
Speaker 1: I'm with you on that. I think, you know, laurelized life and what she did for her daughter, what she chose to do is it should not be fodder or a book. Now, if Rory had gone to Laurel I and said, listen, I'm thinking about writing a book about us, what do you think, and really gone to her and just you know, not assumed that she was going to go along with it. Yeah, that's those are her precious memories. Those that's her life, and you know she owns them as much as Rory owns them.
Speaker 4: So yeah, and Rory I thought I had a real sense of entitlement, like Laura I owe this to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could really argue both sides of it. But if Laura I feels the way she feels, you know, you got her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And at the end of the day, it's a book about LAURAAI and her experience, so you can't really do that without Laura Lai being on board, right.
Speaker 4: And I agree with you Scott that if Rory had come to Laura I and said, hey, I'm thinking about doing this and maybe been more collaborative about it than just coming to her and being like, I'm going to write this book and you know you have to give me this.
Speaker 5: It was just a little aggressive to me.
Speaker 2: So I also wonder if Rory like could have given because she said she wrote, like she outlined the first five chapters. I think also she could have been like, hey, here's what I was thinking. Can you look it over and let me know what you think?
Speaker 1: Right? Not a great sales pitch from.
Speaker 3: Us, or just this is what I want to do. What's what can't I talk about what's off the table for you?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: You know, like mom, what's off the table?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: And when you, Scott, when you said sales pitch, that made me think, like Rory even said that, she's like, oh, let me pitch it again, Like no, this isn't like a pitch meeting, like you know, it's a mother daughter conversation, like let's talk about what's going to be and what's not going to be in rather than you know's trying to trying to do a pitch. So but you know, at the same time, I do understand Rory was excited about the idea. It seemed like the first thing in a long time that she'd actually been excited about, So I can I can see her perspective too, But I just I don't.
Speaker 1: Know if she if she were to write, was she planning on writing a fictional fiction novel based on how she grew up? I mean, she'd have to really obscure it out.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, that's what I was thinking when Jess was talking to her, because they loved reading novels and stuff like that. I thought he was talking about her writing a book, like a novel based on That's how That's how I was thinking, just because it was Jess.
Speaker 1: But well, I think if she wanted to write something, she would just go off and she would write it. Yeah, and then when she was done with it, she presented to Laurel I and said say, look, this is what I wrote. What do you think? Then they have the conversation, you know, but it's like she just botched it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So then we move to the next scene and the next confrontation, which is Luke and Laurelei in the diner. Lorelei is pissed at Luke because he went restaurant shopping with Emily, and then you know, Luke is pissed at Lorelei that she has been going to therapy without telling him. So, I don't know, I thought it was a good dramatic scene. You really see that really everything is not good between you know, they're they're kind of settled and they're together, but they're not happy and they're not really like in sync.
Speaker 5: And then.
Speaker 4: The I don't know, I liked that scene. I like the end when he is yelling about Sandral.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't really enjoy that storms.
Speaker 5: Back to the to the diner. I don't know what you guys thought about that.
Speaker 1: But definitely maybe a top ten Luke lorel I scene.
Speaker 4: It was a good scene and it was it was emotional, it was well acted.
Speaker 5: I enjoyed that scene.
Speaker 4: And then Rory now is at Lane's house venting about uh Lorelai, and then Logan calls and that's you know, Rory's finds out that Odette is there.
Speaker 2: She she calls Logan.
Speaker 4: That's right, well, yeah, she calling by accident, but then he called her back and Lane answered her phone, and then Odette is there and so then Rory. She's already emotional from having just fought with Loralai and now like we're layering this on top and she's like, you know, we're not breaking up because we're nothing.
Speaker 5: That was kind of a sad moment for her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like finally I know, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I did think it was funny when Lane's like, you want a lipatory just got some m and then.
Speaker 5: The okay. So then the last two real.
Speaker 4: Key moments of the episode. One is when she goes back to MS. Patty's and settin Foster is they're singing the Unbreakable song.
Speaker 1: That was great.
Speaker 4: I really enjoyed that the song, and I totally identified with Lurlai in that moment where just you think everything's going wrong and you're trying to juggle it all and it's like.
Speaker 1: Kind of that's a big film scene. That's a film moment.
Speaker 4: Yes, And then I liked how they suddenly cut to the wide shot and she's in the room by.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed, right, So great stuff.
Speaker 4: And then so she goes home like she's emotional, she's crying she goes home.
Speaker 5: Luke is fixing the shelf.
Speaker 4: And she tells him she's going to go do wild. So I don't know if you guys noticed at the beginning of the episode when they were at the pool, she was reading Wild. Oh yeah, And so she comes in that's where that came from. She comes in and she's like, I'm gonna go do wild and looks like, you know, that's out of nature. Like that was a it was a cute little conversation, but I really I could really feel Lorealized emotion on that, like she's like, I got to do something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Lorealize at this point right now, where obviously her relationship is not the best, her relationship with her daughter is now not the best, her relationship with her mom has never been the best. So I think she's kind of.
Speaker 4: And she's losing Michelle too, like everything, all of her major relationships are going through a crisis.
Speaker 6: Zuki too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody's mm hmm.
Speaker 5: Right, Suki's gone, she's been gone for a year, like.
Speaker 3: Her dad's no longer. So yeah, her, she all her relationships, she's very much alone right now.
Speaker 1: Is it's like a prime time for X Defer to show up.
Speaker 6: Somehow that's a nice horn you at that.
Speaker 3: He guess what, Laura, I'm really rich.
Speaker 6: More rich years ago.
Speaker 1: I just I can't lose.
Speaker 3: That was funny.
Speaker 5: Oh man.
Speaker 4: But yeah, and then just the the very final scene with that the look of almost confusion on Luke's face. He's like because he's I mean, he's having a crisis of his own too, to a lesser degree, but just that that closing scene, just.
Speaker 1: He's trying to figure out who's inhabiting his body at this moment.
Speaker 6: You gotta go a soul back, right exactly.
Speaker 5: So I liked the end. I thought it was good.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm very excited for Fall because I feel that Fall is Gilmore girls. I'm saying as I'm excited for it because I really do feel in this grand finale we're going to get back Winter was strong spring in summer, and I feel like there's only room to go up, and Fall is going to bring it back home.
Speaker 1: Oh you want to rate it?
Speaker 5: Yeah you go first?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, Tarror, you're gonna go first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tarr, you go.
Speaker 1: I give it.
Speaker 2: Seven and Stars Hollow gazettes mm hmmm. Copies of the Star's Hall Gazette Danielle.
Speaker 3: I'm going to give it three out of ten last Scotch. The three out of ten comes from the secret bar.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm going to give it.
Speaker 4: Uh, I'm going to give it six point nine floaty huts. I'm going to a favorite line too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I look, let's not mix the rounds. We can't cross the streams. It's very dangerous. Like Jackie and those people back there, They're going to get electrocuted if we do that. Ah, I don't know. I really enjoyed this. I'm going to give it a nine point seventy five.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really enjoyed it. I just just for the musical alone and those big movie moments and the Laurla experience. I just I just thought it was It's just was so good. It was so funny and so fun and so poignant. If you can make me laugh that hard in a musical and then give me a moment, a powerful moment of a woman who you know, who's unbreakable and looking at her entire life behind her in front of her in a song, Oh tears your heart out, man. Beautiful stuff, just beautiful stuff. So I want to give it to them, you know, as a thank you for what you gave me. You know what I'm saying, some gratitude and because it's a I'm gonna I'm gonna say, you know, nine point seven pairs of balls. There you go here anyway, all right, so that's gonna wrap around. Uh, thank you, ladies. Tara Sued, Susanne French, Danielle Romo's And it's odd you don't even notice when Amy's not here, right, It's like exactly the same. It's like what.
Speaker 3: A fire and Spicer is missing.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Thank you, ladies, much appreciated. And to you the best fans on the planet. Thank you so much for your downloads. Keep those cards and letters coming. Remember we love you and we and I I'm all in. Stay safe everyone, everybody, don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.