Speaker 1: Patriots and Eagles got after it today with joint practices, and it was the Patriots who finished strong. Let's break it all down. Welcome everybody to the Patriots Camp cast presented by New Balance. And Yes, it was probably the highlight of the summer. I would say, at least the first day of the highlight of the summer, guys. Joint practices with the Eagles, with a competitive day, Patriots getting a lot of good work in not so much the red zone stuff, guys, but overall similar format to what we've seen in the past. Maybe a little bit less one on ones, but overall, Paul, what are your biggest takeaways here from the first day.
Speaker 2: I continue to be impressed by the Patriots offense. I think Drake May and AJ Brown looked more and more comfortable as the days go by. Pop Douglas continues to make plays over the middle. I thought it was a good day for the offense. I that the offensive line held up pretty well against a much stiffer test in the Eagles than the Colts. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really active day for a J Brownhuh. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought of both offenses who controlled the beginning part of practice and maybe the two minute drill got a little clunky there and the defense is punched back a little bit. But I look at the line of scrimmage and I thought that the Patriots once again had a lot of clean pockets to push the ball down the field from with Drake, May, Aj Brown, Romeo Dobbs, Pop Douglas, all three of those guys getting targeted down the field into the mix at some point. So that was really encouraging. You know, it's one thing to do it against your own guys day in and day out, but that's a really good front that the Eagles brought here to this practice, and I thought the Patriots offensive line held their own defensively. I think we're still concerned about the same things run defense, pressure on the quarterback. So I would say both offenses kind of won the day.
Speaker 1: I got to echo your the good part because to me, I said on our pre on our show when we were going live Paul that I wanted to see them protect especially inside. We know Carter how good he can be, Davis big guys, But like Jev said, I thought there were some clean pockets. Drake had a chance to step up a couple times to make some throws downfield. As I said, AJ Brown was involved. I saw some catches from tomorrow Douglas just you know, overall, I was in brilliant cur by the offense today.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought the regular periods of offense, you know, they did some down you know, down in situational where at first downs, third downs, whatnot. I thought the offense was kind of doing what it wanted to do. Now, unfortunately, I think the same could be said of the Eagles offense on the other field. But in the two minute, it looked like both defenses kind of dialed up, some stuff, got some pressure at times, muddied the pockets a little bit. Now you have two guys in Drake May and Jalen Hurts, who are very mobile, very athletic quarterbacks. So I'm not telling you these would have been sacks. I don't think there were a lot of sacks today on either side. But I think that that's kind of what made the two minute a little clunky, to use Evans's term. But overall, very encouraged by the offense, Very encouraged by AJ Brown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before we jump into the two minute drills, the dueling two minute drills out, just to pause point about the defense, I felt like you know, we saw some RPO stuff that was like there was a lot of space inside. There was one screen pass that it felt like he was gone a lot of space inside against the run, against the run, similar to what we saw against the Colts A little bit.
Speaker 3: About Yeah, I would say that was probably the thing that stood out to me the most was Shipley and Sakuon Barkley were kind of doingever they wanted in the run game and those run periods. And then we also, you know, we talked about, you know, during practice then they have to dial up blitzes to get pressure on the quarterback, and I felt like the Patriots standard rushers rushes weren't really getting home, you know, those four man standard rushes. So we'll see. But the run game I thought got better as practice went on. For the Patriots defense, it was started slow and then they started to stuff some runs in the second run period. I thought, so maybe some improvement, maybe a little bit of maybe you know, pick me up on the sideline type of thing. Maybe they weren't ready to go out of the gate. But I, like you guys said about Drake May you know, aj Brown thought the best throw between those two guys off his back foot just floating the ball. Now, if there's some pressure there, I don't know those guys would have gotten home or not. But just threw a ball in the bucket over aj Brown's outside shoulder and dropped it in there against pressure. They hit a crossing route earlier on in practice to aj Brown right and stride with the defender right and coverage there a really good throw Dobbs down the left sideline on a big play. So when you see those plays being pushed down the field and the ball being pushed down the field, you usually think the pass protection was probably pretty solid if they have the time and the ability to push it down the field like that.
Speaker 2: And I just would look at those kinds of plays and I can easily envision seeing that in the regular season. That's the kind of offense to me, that is sustainable. It's not you're throw one up and a guy made a play, or you know, you know, the quarterback made a great play to escape the pocket, got off platform, bought some time, and someone squirt it loose. These were regular plays, as Evan said, where Drake may had time to survey the field, read the coverage, and find the open guy.
Speaker 3: They hit the one to Dobbs. Sorry, but the one to Dobbs was really encouraging to me because I think he looked off the safety in the middle of the field. He had Brown and Dobbs both on vertical routes on the out side, and he started looking at Brown. The safety move with Brown, and then he came back and hit Dobbs on the one on one. If you have the amount of time in the pocket to do that, then that tells you that the pass protection was pretty solid exactly.
Speaker 1: The overall sure didn't look like two years ago and joined practice against the Eagles when Eagles pretty much had their way. Patriots certainly competitive. Let's talk about the final two minute drive one oh five need a field goal. Starting out at your twenty, we saw both the ones on both teams, and then we saw the twos as well. Nice job here by the ones. I thought it was a little bit clunky, Paul, you said there was a little bit of pressure. Maybe that hadn't quite popped up earlier. But got a shout out. Andy boorg Gallas hitting both field goals at the end, the first one and fifty three yarder, the second one fifty seven yarder with the twos as well, so two good kicks for him. We know he kind of yet kick bounce back for border Gallis. I didn't think that two minute was great.
Speaker 2: I thought the first throw, it's either a bad throw by Drake or a bad read by Romeo Dobbs as he sort of cuts in maybe looked like he was trying to protect him from the safety who was right there. But anyway, I thought it was a ball Dobbs could caught. Looked like you got both hands on it, So that's incomplete. Next play is across to Douglas, looks like he's open, he's got a step, throws really low, kind of takes him to the ground, he stumbles, falls. I think Evan's right nowhere nearer first down now because of the drill, they moved it across the thirty yard line and gave him a first down.
Speaker 1: So instead of third and three or four, and you.
Speaker 2: Haven't even really started a two minute drill that you know, because it's practice, all of a sudden, you get something started. I thought there were some plays there that looked like the pockets started to get a little leaky, but the uh, you know, I think situationally, they set up the field goal, but good on bord Gallas were making them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw it the same way. I felt like they moved the ball up and then they put more time on the clock, and then it felt like they wanted to get the situation of the fire drill field goal and get that off and see how that operation looked. So ye Will probably said, hey, can we just play out this situation. I thought the defense though, got to stop I think hanging up with past defenses. Yeah, so they legitimately got stops, and I thought that was the practice where you saw some of the issues with the Eagles offense in terms of handling pressure and blitzes and things like that. They're installing a new offense and I think that's been a big hot button topic in Philly, is that they don't have a lot of answers to blitzes and hot receivers and things like that. So the Patriots dialed up some blitzes and they were able to get home on a lot of those blitzeres in that one minute drill, and they had a couple pass breakups. So that was encouraging to see. I mean, on the one hand, you could say, well, they need to dial up pressure to get to the quarterback. But when they did blitz, it did get home. So I think that was incouraging takeaways too.
Speaker 2: Kevin Byer talked a lot about those. Craig Woodson was around the ball. I think he had two picks. One of them might have been in seven on seven. But just good to see the Patriots' secondary around the ball a lot. And I did think I think Kevan you alluded to this, the defense was better. I thought with each ensuing period it looked a little bit stronger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was what was funny to me. It was like the offensive defense looked one way during the drills, then we got to the two minute drill and it almost kind of flipped a little bit.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: That's why I feel like we're gonna have different takes than everybody else on practice because we were watching a little bit more of the defense because they were closer to us where we were watching practice. But I felt the same way. I thought the Eagles offense actually moved the ball pretty well early. They had a big post down the field, they had a wheel route to Shipley out of the backfield for a big play. A couple of big runs by Barkley and then we got down to the to the tent and everybody said that Patriots defense dominated, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like DeVante Smith, today was complete. Yeah, I mean they didn't really, most of it was most of it was underneath.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, no. Mkai Lemon I thought that you know, it got better though.
Speaker 1: He did get it did get better as the practice went and shout out to Kendall Wildor with the twoes. He capped off practice with an interception. Nice for him. John Sanders also had an interception during practice. Guys around the ball popping up. He's not playing against you.
Speaker 2: Know, Mariano Rivera from now on, He's the Tarron Harmon.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a great first day of practice and I'm sure this energy is just going to carry over into day two. We'll see if motions are going to run high, but Eagles are going to look to punch back. Patriots looking to get better on defense should be a great one if you're able to come on down to Foxboro.