Speaker 1: Hey Sabrina, Hey will I'm excited for today. And I know that sounds strange, but when we do these type of movies, they're usually really.
Speaker 2: Good, I know, and this is not an exception to that. Yes, was this one actually, though, I will say it was hard for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was hard for me too.
Speaker 2: This one was I think this one, out of the ones we've done based on a lot of the same kind of topics, this one was the toughest one for me. I pretty much cried, I would say through seventy of this. Yeah, I mean when we get myself out of it, because.
Speaker 3: It was visceral hate in this movie.
Speaker 1: Like you know, there's there's an undercurrent of hate in the other movies where the children are trying to trying to find the hate, trying to find where it comes from, why it's there, where this is just this spewed.
Speaker 3: At a little.
Speaker 1: Yeah, spewed out a little girl for almost ninety minutes, and it's just it was. This was a tough watch, but an important watch.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, that's a great way. A tough watch, but an important watch. It was done very well, but it was It was probably one of the time if I think it's easy, easier for me to say than not the toughest one we've watched so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't, I don't necessarily disagree, and also could arguably before again when we when the words show season comes around for us. I mean, the ensemble cast in this film is just wow, off off the charts.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, this was This was a tough one, but a good one, and we will get into it. But before then, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your PJS, and your popcorn and go back to a time and all the houses are smart, the wave tsunamis in the High Schools Musical.
Speaker 3: I'm Wilford Dell and.
Speaker 2: I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 1: Guys, It's true, most of the dcoms we review here on Magical Rewine involved talent agent aliens or roller Blades or talent agent aliens on roller Blades. But every once in a while we get a well deserved break to watch something of actual cultural significance. And that's where we are today with nineteen ninety eight true events drama Ruby Bridges.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've talked about this, We've had the other ones we've really watched kind of in this vein our Color of Friendship, some of Lord Selma, even Tiger Cruz, which are you know, based on true events, but then through the lens of a child.
Speaker 3: But this one was a little different. This was through the lens of a child kind of. It was more. It was more through the eyes of the adults watching the child ghost, which made it a little more difficult for me.
Speaker 1: To watch because it was just like we were talking about, I mean again, somea Lord Selma, you're watching everything happen through her eyes, whereas this is you're kind of watching these things happen to this little girl. And it was, as Sabrina said, it was difficult. But the movie originally aired on January eighteenth, nineteen ninety eight, as part of their Wonderful World, a Disney series, and here's something we haven't seen often.
Speaker 3: It premiered in the.
Speaker 1: UK much later in two thousand and five as part of the Black Women Film Festival. It is a rare occurrence when a dcom can also be included in a film festival, so that is very very.
Speaker 3: Cool, also rare.
Speaker 1: The movie was filmed in Wilmington, North Carolina, which doubles as New Orleans here, and it was very well received, obviously nominated for an NAACP Image Award, and it won the nineteen ninety eight Humanities Prize for the Screenplay. Now, this movie was in the news back in twenty twenty three when a Florida parent filed a complaint with their school district, saying the film was not appropriate for second graders to watch because it might teach them that quote white people hate black people unquote and properly. The suggestion to ban the film was not approved by a committee of teachers, parents, community members, and a library and media technology specialist, which I don't know anything about that job, but it sounds like a job I'd like after watching the movie with the parents' objection in mind. So thankfully some people understand that history should be taught so it doesn't repeat itself. But it is true that the film includes racially sensitive language and themes, so I could definitely see some discretion being advised. But movies like these are important and factually correct. Beyond just the movie, Ruby Bridges is forever immortalized in the Norman Rockwell painting the problem we all live in an iconic and startling image of the civil rights movement that at one time was displayed in the White House. She's also the subject of the Laurie McKennis song Ruby's Shoes. Bridges is seventy one years old and still lives in New Orleans with her husband and four sons. And it's a Woman's Hall of Fame inductee with two schools named after her, one in Alameda, California and the other in Woodinville, Washington. Okay, always ask before we were assigned it for the podcast, had you ever heard of this movie?
Speaker 2: I had not. I had not, And we knew that it was based on these events and this true story of this woman and now and but that's it.
Speaker 5: That was kind of just.
Speaker 2: What we were given a little bit before watching.
Speaker 5: So you know, I knew.
Speaker 2: I already felt like this was going to be a great movie, just because we've seen how the Channel has handled these things.
Speaker 3: So they do it well.
Speaker 5: I was looking forward. They do it so well.
Speaker 2: But I hadn't heard. I didn't know about the story. I didn't know about anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah about No, I same same exact thing I do. I knew about the story, I knew about the I knew about multiple integration stories because There are several stories like this from across usually the South at the time, but this one specifically, no, I think I'd heard the name.
Speaker 3: I'd heard the name Ruby Bridges, but didn't know the story behind it.
Speaker 1: But it also, movies like this show me the power of the Disney Channel because it shows the perfect balance for kids, where again, you can watch a movie like this and then go watch a movie like Brink you know, or you know, you're talking nineteen ninety eight, so Johnny Tsunami, where kids really can run the gamut of.
Speaker 3: Emotionality and storytelling.
Speaker 1: Through the eyes of kids, they can see every aspect of what it can be like. And hey, not every kid is racing down the mountain on a snowboard. Some kid, you know, some kids need to be surrounded by security to go to school, and that's what Disney Channel does so well.
Speaker 3: So this was it.
Speaker 2: And I imagine too, like you said, this vast you know, range of the kinds of movies and topics that Disney covers. It shows you too that because they did that, kids have the ability to have like empathy as well, like that, that this movie would also inspire them to look beyond color, like be able to do that. I feel like it's such a good thing of knowing kids are able to do this. That's why the channel wanted to do it was it also spoke to kids in such a positive way.
Speaker 3: It did absolutely.
Speaker 1: You can watch Ruby Bridges now on Disney Plus, available day and night and during the Lost hours of the Summer, which, as everyone knows, is between one in three am on July eighteenth, when all clocks break down and the entire world sleeps while small whimsical sprites appear and steel pollen.
Speaker 3: Like I said, everybody knows that.
Speaker 1: Well, let's find out a little more about this historical retelling with its synopsis. When six year old Ruby has chosen to be the first African American to integrate her local elementary school, she subjected to true ugliness and racism for the first time. Sabrina, what are your initial thoughts in the dramatic and emotional movie Ruby Brice.
Speaker 5: This was, like I said, hard for me.
Speaker 2: I have a daughter who is just about to be six towards the end of the summer. I could not take myself out of this mother's position and hearing her thoughts, seeing what that kind of dynamic would be to watch my husband go through the things that he's going that the dad and this film go through all of that was just.
Speaker 5: So you know, I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I just I cried so much because this mother showed so much strength for both her husband and her daughter, for her family, for her life and her family's life. I just I, oh, this was This is such an emotional and inspiring story for me as a mom of a young girl. And you know, it was like it was hard to think about being put in this position and want and I just I really thought this woman Ruby's mom was incredible, like to really you know, help support the I just there were so many aspects of this movie that I.
Speaker 5: Just absolutely loved. I loved it. Yeah, what about you now?
Speaker 3: It felt the same way again. It's tough.
Speaker 1: I'm also one of those people where I movies like this are hard for me for a number of reasons. But one of the reasons is I genuinely don't understand the hate, right. I don't understand people that hate that much or have hate that much hate direct towards them. I've been lucky in both aspects and that I don't hate that much and I've never had that kind of hate directed towards me, and I'm just I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to this type of hate, this level of where where does this come from?
Speaker 3: This pure visceral hatred of a child? A child, I don't child, I just don't understand it.
Speaker 2: And so of anyone of anyone in that respect, but also like a child, Like I'm looking, I think that was what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Like it was hard.
Speaker 2: Like I have an almost six year old who, you know, in so many aspects, like is just starting her life, you know, and like has not been unkind to to anyone, you know, like just doesn't have the deserving of someone to be that hateful regardless of the color of her skin. She comes from the amount of money, the not much like any of that, like trying to put that, I just I have no understanding.
Speaker 3: No, I don't either, I just don't get it, you know.
Speaker 1: So there it was a tough It was a tough watch, necessary one, but definitely tough.
Speaker 2: Some of the I mean it was you know, background actors that that got these roles.
Speaker 5: I couldn't. I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I couldn't even think of doing the roles that were done, of saying the things it would be too hard.
Speaker 5: It'd be too hard.
Speaker 1: Ruby Bridges was directed by and I'm hoping I get the name right, Uzan Palsy, a new name to the podcast. The female director, originally from Martinique, dealt in a much deeper universe than your normal dcom. She often explored the ideas of race, gender, and politics in your films, most notably in Sugarcane Alley, when she became the first black director to win the Caesar Award and the Venice Film Festival Silver Lion. Then she directed A Dry White Season in nineteen ninety nine, which was the first film produced by major Hollywood studios directed by a black female director.
Speaker 3: Pretty amazing stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty two, she was given the Academy Honor Award at the Oscars for her contributions to cinema. And with something like this, with such an acclaimed director, they've got a very impressive cast, as we were talking about, especially for a Wonderful World of Disney or d com. We have Penelope Ann Miller plays Barbara. Henry Miller is a movie star, total movie star, especially back of the day in films like Carlito's Way, which you got a Golden Globe nomination for Kindergarten cop the Artist, and a movie we recently talked about a lot, the Original Adventures in Babysitting. Also loved her in Bloxi Blues, one of my favorites ever with What's his Name?
Speaker 3: I Just Said?
Speaker 1: With Matthew Brodrick and Kevin Pollack plays doctor Robert Coles. Pollock was originally a stand up comedian who transitioned into acting and podcasting. Most famously he was in the Usual Suspects, but also a few Good Men, End of Days and Wayne's World two. But really he's been in so many TV shows, from Tulsa king through The Marvelous Missus Masel to Mom. Very recognizable face and a good audition to the Disney casting pool for this again, there's a number of actors we could put into Dahne Reynolds chair, but there'd be too many in this one. Then the amazingly talented Michael Beach plays Abon Bridges. This dude has been in everything. He's been working NonStop since the late eighties. You've seen him in Waiting to Exhale, Soul Food, Aquaman, Mayor of Kingstown, Sons of Anarchy, and over one hundred episodes a third Watch, and that's just to name a few.
Speaker 3: This is the kind of Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Career people dream about because he's literally never stopped working, been part of some of the most incredible projects, but can still kind of go out in public without being hounded. It's like, the most incredible kind of career is this man's career. And it was also just announced as he's joining the cast of The Interrogator. Then chas Monet is Ruby Bridges. This was her first ever movie. She'd go on to appear in TV shows like Caroline in the City, Er, Cold Case, Nino two to Zero, and the TV movie Introducing Dorothy Dandridge starring a young Halle Berry. Her last real acting credit was in twenty eleven. Then Jean Louise Kelly plays Jane Coles. Kelly is a veteran actress, first seen in the movie Uncle Buck, and she'd later star on the CBS sitcom Yes Dear. She was also recently seen in the new Top Gun Maverick movie. And finally, Leela Roschan is Lucy Bridges. You know her from Waiting to Exhale, Any Given Sunday and Boomerang. She's still acting, has been married to the acclaimed director Anton Fuqua since nineteen ninety nine. And yes, this movie is historically accurate and important, but this is still magical.
Speaker 3: Rewind is it ninety minutes? Did it hit the target?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: Close enough? It's ninety six.
Speaker 1: Man, you hate to see it, even for a movie like this, six over the target.
Speaker 3: It's a real shame. But you know what, We're gonna let it pass.
Speaker 1: We're gonna let it pass this time because it's such an important and great film. Writing wise, Torrianne Johnson gets a screenwriting credit. She had a history in theater and go on to write Lifetimes the Courage of Love, a film loosely based on another African American pioneer named Henriette Deliel, And then she made a real pivot to co write a movie I Love Yes People.
Speaker 3: She co wrote Step Up to the Streets, the one that introduced Moose. The best film that's ever been made in the history of the world. It's perfect.
Speaker 1: I don't want to hear anything about it, but that is quite a range. Johnson also wrote a novel in twenty fourteen called Remedy for a Broken Angel. And now let's learn about the incredible Ruby bridges By recapping her dcom The movie opens with kids pouring out of a school at the final bell, where in New Orleans it's November nineteen sixty. All the children we see are black, with a focus on two real cute kids, Ruby and Allison. We're transported to a neighborhood nearby. The streets are full of people on their porches with kids playing softball or riding their bikes in the streets. There's a baseball game in progress and one little girl, Ruby is taking it very very seriously inside the house, and then in a suit, is telling Ruby's mom that her daughter scored very well on the school board exam. She actually outperformed most of the first graders throughout the entire district. Back outside, Ruby's dad Abon arrives and cheers on his daughter as she slides in a home, but it is a close call. They look to missus Johnson, an elder in the neighborhood, and she says that Ruby is safe. AVM picks her up in excitement, and the two siblings also join in for the big family hug. Nearby, Ruby and her dad turned to mister Taylor and the other neighbors they know including a German lady, miss Stein, who owns the local grocery store. We're now in the store and missus Stein chuckles and tells Ruby he's standing on her tippy toes that she's grown because last week she couldn't even see over the counter.
Speaker 3: We're now back on Ruby's porch.
Speaker 1: Ruby's mom, Lucille, and a man in a suit, doctor ac Broyard of the NAACP, are finishing up their meeting. Lucille thanks him for the good news and introduces him to Ruby and Abon, who just got back home. Doctor Broyard congratulates Ruby. She's been picked with five other girls to do something no other black children have done in New Orleans. They have a lot to be proud of. Inside Ruby's house, Ruby and her siblings are now jumping on the bed acting like kids. When Missus Bridges walks in, they need to stop playing and start their nighttime prayers. Mister Bridges is sitting on the couch watching a news report about the proposed racial mixing in the New Orleans public schools, which is set to begin on Monday. The Attorney General has warned the Governor, James Davis not to interfere with the federal court's order to desegregate the schools. Davis, however, is vowing to preserve segregation. Despite the warning, mister Bridges shuts off the TV and tells his wife that he isn't sure about all this.
Speaker 3: She's not gonna let it scare though. The federal government means more than the state and stuff like this. But mister Bridges questions why they'd send Ruby somewhere she isn't even wanted. If she did so good in that test, that means she's doing just fine where she is. Missus Bridges argues that black schools just aren't as good as the white ones. Doctor Broyard said, Ruby has what it takes to go far, and this could make things better for all children of color. Now, in a crowded church, everyone is singing and celebrating. Then the preacher starts a sermon and the one little boy who is singing in this choir is crushing it.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, so so good.
Speaker 1: It was so good, just amazing hearing this little kid sing. It was like, man, it was really remarkable. The preacher talks about how every day there is something new to keep them oppressed, but they will rise up and Persevere church then lets out, and now Ruby and Allison are walking home, talking about how she's going to a new school tomorrow and even gets to ride in a car. Alison is going to a Catholic school soon and she isn't even Catholic. Ruby promises she'll still see Alison and jokes she'll still whoop her butt in baseball. The next morning, at Ruby's house, Abon is eating breakfast and Ruby is just adorably staring at him. He asked if she's nervous, since she just shrugs her shoulders. He wishes he could go with her, but she can tell him all about it later. He calls her his brave little girl and she smiles. Abon walks outside to go to work and sees police blocking off the road. He walks over to ask what's going on, and the officer says they're only letting residents come and go. Mister Bridges may need id to come home later in case he runs into the next shift. Startled, mister Bridges shakes his head and continues his walk to work. We're now back inside the house thanks to their neighbor, missus Taylor. Ruby's dressed in a pink dress with a pink bow in her hair, ready for her first day at her new school.
Speaker 3: Missus Bridges reminds.
Speaker 1: Ruby to answer her teacher with yes, ma'am, we're outside now. An official looking car arrives with Deputy US Marshall Al Butler and his team ready to escort Ruby's school.
Speaker 3: Missus Bridges is confused.
Speaker 1: She thought it would be doctor Broyard from the NAACP, but Ruby and her mom get in the car anyway, with the entire neighborhood watching on. Ruby and her friend Allison wave to each other as the procession of cars drives off. They arrive at school and are given precise instructions on how to walk. He tells Ruby to stay between the four officers and not look back at the crowd no matter what happens.
Speaker 3: And this is where I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: God, this is gonna be bad, Like yes, same, yeah, you're just already the adjutive starting of watching the film like it, man, it's gonna this is gonna it's gonna be hard, and even I didn't realize how bad. A man nearby has gotten out of his car. He's upset with the stops traffic and has a medical conference. He needs to attend at the same time the US Marshal. Ruby and her mother get out of the car, and we're swarm by a crowd of upset parents and students, yelling and chanting two four six eight we don't want to integrate, and holding signs that say things like whites only and no colors here. As members of the press take pictures, Ruby and Lucille finally make it to the school steps, where sheriffs are waiting for them. One officer informs them that the governor says they can't enter. The Deputy Marshall explains that the President of the United States says they can. With that, the local sheriff step aside, allowing the group to walk in. As protesters angrily chant against integration. The man outside of the car, who is mad at being stopped, can't believe what he's saying.
Speaker 3: We're now inside the school.
Speaker 1: Teachers are shock that Ruby was allowed inside and tructing their students to stay in their classrooms. And oh god, it was the teachers. I think that pissed me off more than anything. I hated them, hate even it was somehow, and I don't know why, but for some reason, it was even worse than the chanting outside to me because that's like mob rule and craziness and the ridiculousness of that. But then the people that are sworn educators for children that are treating this girl so horribly. It's something about that struck me and it just kissed me off that I don't know what it was.
Speaker 5: There's an aspect of.
Speaker 2: It would in a sense I kind of some somehow maybe I'm wrong, correct me if it needs to not be in this but like like if a doctor was treating this situation similar, like wouldn't treat another human Like it's with teachers, especially with teachers with young education that's so important and like it's like this old that they take to like educate the next generation and it's just going, are you? But again, it's not a world that like I understand, that's not you know what I mean? Like I never lived in a world that this was in any way relevant in my in my experience, So it's just it was like, oh, you gotta be kidding me, Like, like you are an educator, you should know better.
Speaker 5: Like that's how it felt watching this movie. I really did.
Speaker 2: It made me so angry, Like those people out there are they're not as educated.
Speaker 5: As you like. They they don't know.
Speaker 3: You know, you're supposed to be better than that.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yeah, Well there's good teachers and bad teachers, good.
Speaker 5: Doctors and bad that's true, So true.
Speaker 3: Lawyers and bad lawyers.
Speaker 1: There's absolutely just because somebody's in a profession doesn't make them good people.
Speaker 6: Nope.
Speaker 1: The Marshals are with Ruby and her mother in the main office when parents start barging into rooms and removing their children. One mother uses it a horrible slur on a way out, Ruby Asser. There's a lot of those in this movie, so I'm skipping over all of them. Obviously they're they're they're there, and we're of the time.
Speaker 2: And the one thing I did put in this, like Sabriss was just like that was so jarring and hard to hear in a Disney Channel movie that some of the slang that was used, evenings written things that were written on the posters. Yeah, belt, I mean it was obviously what was you know what I mean, like it was.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why I'm glad. I hate to put it this way, but I'm glad they did it. Meaning I'm glad they kept it in because you don't want them to soften it for the fact that it's Disney, because that's.
Speaker 3: What it was going through.
Speaker 1: It's like, we're not going to change the words that were hurled at this little girl because it might offend people nowadays watching the movie, or it might upset kids. It's like, no, you needed to hear the actual vile things that were being thrown this.
Speaker 3: Six year old and now trying to kindergarten or first rate.
Speaker 1: And so I'm glad that that they said, no, we're not going to we're not going to cut these out because.
Speaker 3: They're horrible words.
Speaker 1: We're keeping them in specifically because they're horrible words. That's why we're keeping them in.
Speaker 5: As a hard watch, skin crawled every time.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it's supposed to.
Speaker 1: Ruby asked her mom where the other black girls who were supposed to enroll with her are, and a teacher on the phone with the district name Miss Woodmere, says she supposes the parents had the good enough sense not to put their children through this. At the same time, a new teacher, Miss Barbara Henry, has arrived, but Miss Woodmere tells her to come back tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Hours later, everyone is still waiting in the main office It's three PM and Ruby's even falling asleep. The bell rings and Miss Woodmere dismisses Ruby for the day. Ruby announces, Wow, school was easy, which was funny. Now we're in a new house. It is a guy that was outside Ruby school who was upset he was running late to a conference. We find out his name is doctor Robert Cole. He kisses his wife and admits he never even made it to work. The streets were blocked and she'll never believe why. He explains the protest and hateful scene, saying he'd never seen anything like it. His wife says people can be so mean and that she grew up watching how people treated her nanny. They acted like her color made her guilty of something. He wonders if he could help her and the family like he did for kids with polio. His wife thinks it's a great idea, and now we're at the school. The next day, the angry mob has gotten even bigger and more unruly. As Ruby in her arm Federal security they pull up. The mob pushes to the motor kid as Ruby and Lucille got out of the front door. One guy even tries to spit on them. We see a concern Doctor Coles in the crowd, now full military uniform. Back inside the school, Ruby's introduced to her new teacher, missus Henry. She's the new staff member who arrived yesterday but was sent home. She excitedly introduces herself, shaking both Ruby and Lucille's hands. She proceeds to hold Ruby's hand and walk her to a classroom, all as the other teachers stare, and of course judge. Missus Henry says she's heard that Ruby is quite the student. While back in the main office, doctor Coles is escorted in by the local sheriff. He's introduced this captain, doctor Robert Coles, and padded down by the Deputy Marshall. We're now back in the classroom. It's just Ruby, Lucille and missus Henry, who is very flustered in her new surroundings. Protesters are yelling racist things outside, so missus Henry shuts the window with the help of missus Bridges. Missus Henry reveals she's originally from Boston and has taught kids at overseas military bases, but recently got married in her husband's work brings her here to New Orleans. Lucille welcomes her to the South, which feels like both a greeting and a warning. Over in Miss Woodmere's office, doctor Robert Coles tells Woodmere that he wants to talk to the little girl and see how she's doing with all this stress.
Speaker 3: She refuses, using.
Speaker 1: Another disgusting slur, and won't even give her name to him. She has strict orders and if he's so interested, he should go talk to what she calls that colored People's Organization, referring, of course, to the NAACP. Knowing he's hit a dead end, he says good day and leaves back. In Ruby's classroom, missus Henry writes down a word and Ruby yells out Christmas. Then, when instructed to write words with only the letters she sees spelled in Christmas, she first spells out christ missus Henry tells Lucille that her dexterity is very advanced for her age. Ruby continues to write down new words as Miss Henry looks out the window at the angry mob, and then eventually just shuts the blinds. We'now in the school hallway, missus Henry is looking for the lounge and another teacher, Miss Spencer. At first ignores her, but eventually and very reluctantly shows her the way, commenting she must have really needed a job to take this one. Were now in the teacher's lounge, missus Henry tells Spencer she doesn't need consolation. She's taught children from many different backgrounds and she's enjoyed them all. Another teacher says the school is ruined and missus Henry is partly to blame.
Speaker 3: Than she leaves.
Speaker 1: Missus Henry thinks it's silly for the whole school to empty out because one little girl. Obviously she was offered this position and didn't know that she'd be teaching only one student. Miss Spencer reveals she told the principles she wouldn't teach Ruby, using another slur in the process.
Speaker 3: Yikes.
Speaker 1: She then ironically transitioned into prayer before eating so horrible racial slur. You're ruining this school. Everything's off. Now I'm going to pray to Jesus because this seems like exactly the type of thing God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like it kept getting worse.
Speaker 3: It's just very, very difficult.
Speaker 1: Miss Henry is obviously dumbfounded by all of her new coworkers. Were now outside the school, and another day has come to a close. Ruby and her mom are again leaving. Walking through the protest, Lucille covers her daughter's ears. This time, we're now Ruby's house. Eban is reading the paper and tells his wife that things are getting very dangerous.
Speaker 3: It's not too late to take her out of the school.
Speaker 1: He knows that Ruby's supposed to go alone tomorrow and can't imagine putting her through that. Lucille is sick of people telling her what she can and can't do. They can't be afraid any longer. Mister Bridges barks back that he was in the war, He's not afraid, and she better watch out who she's talking to. She apologizes and argues that the school is cleaner and nicer, and that her teacher, Missus Henry, is smart and kind. We're now in the kids' rooms. Lucille says good night and tells Ruby that she has to go back to work tomorrow. She asks if Ruby can be a brave girl and go to school by herself with the big men. Ruby thinks it over and says okay. Lucille reminds her that Jesus also the mob and even prayed for them. She gives Ruby one last kiss, knowing tomorrow might be tough, and.
Speaker 3: So we're now at school.
Speaker 1: The next day, Ruby arrives with just the Deputy Marshalls and the crowd has gotten even bigger. Doctor Coles is there, still very concerned. The Deputy Marshal tells Ruby to remember what he said, just keep looking straight ahead, and then.
Speaker 3: They make their way to the front door. When one woman.
Speaker 1: Yells, I'm gonna hang you until you choke to death a six year old girl amongst the hatred. Ruby looks straight ahead, hearing her mom and dad's voice in her head. She's a brave little girl and God loves her. She sees KKK and the N word written on the wall, mimicking the famous Norman Rockwell painting as well. Just then a tomato is thrown at the school, which is also captured in that painting. Inside, the teachers are still judgmentally staring at missus Henry taking Ruby to class, noting that she looks so very special. Today, after school, Ruby and Allison are sitting on some steps eating otter pops. Ruby asked Alison if she's Catholic yet Alison says no, The nuns are mean and hit her on the knuckles. Ruby says her teacher is nice, but she's the only student in the entire school. Allison says her dad blames Ruby for all the horses up the street and nobody likes them. Just then, Ruby's dad is back from work, holding several bags of donuts, and he just looks completely and totally emotionless. We cut inside the house. The whole family is eating, except for Avon. Ruby asked, if he isn't hungry, then why did he bring home all those donuts. He just sits in silence, then says that the bakery heard what a brave thing she was doing and wanted to give them a special treat now. Later in the night, while cleaning up, a very emotional Abon tells his wife he was fired. His boss says he can't keep him with a child in a white school. He'd been working there for eight years and there's no one better at fixing cars than him. Lucille agrees and says he'll get another job. That's why his friend at the bakery shop gave him all his donuts because he felt bad about the job. Even starts to cry and wonders what he's going to do now, and this is another moment where it was just like, man, the acting, you know, the film itself is great, obviously, but the acting in this book, yeah, very good.
Speaker 5: So good.
Speaker 2: I mean I was, I mean I was already after the second day of school and then finding she was going to go to school without her mom. I know, I am already crying. And then the husband, I'm like sobbing at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: Very tough, very tough to see what this family was going through and the whole community was going through, but even their own community then turning on them right to where it's like you're you're getting in from every angle at that.
Speaker 2: Point, every single angle, I mean, especially when you're you know, your neighbor, your friend, these kids were playing baseball just a few days ago together, you know, and and they're obviously a very tight knit community. They hang out all the time, and then for that to happen, and you can see both sides of the coin, right like them having a hard time because of someone else's decisions, you know.
Speaker 3: Just it's yeah, it was tough.
Speaker 5: It's all hard.
Speaker 3: Yep, it really is.
Speaker 1: He says white folks were fine when he was willing to die for this country. But you try to give your beautiful little daughter what they have, and they'll remind you how it's actually their country.
Speaker 3: Yes, ma'am was a soldier.
Speaker 1: Yes, Lucille knows it's tough right now, and he probably blames her for everything, but they're going to get through this. He leaves for the bedroom while she stays back and cries in the kitchen. The next morning, Evan walks out of the house with Ruby. He's going to go with her to school today, but the deputy Marshall says he's sorry, it's just too dangerous.
Speaker 3: Evan can't believe this. He's her father.
Speaker 1: The deputy thinks that since he is her father, he might not be able to restrain himself.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Evin kisses Ruby goodbye, and she drives off with the officers.
Speaker 3: At school. The day is over once again.
Speaker 1: I could Oh my god, I couldn't even imagine being a dad and walking your kid through that. You'd be like, I'm gonna know it. Oh, I couldn't even imagine.
Speaker 2: I mean, so, it's like you're basically saying it's safer to go with these strange, stranger men, these men that are strangers to her than it is for me.
Speaker 5: To take my own. It's safer for them her to go with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well with at the time, it's safer to go with armed white protectors than it is for her black father to walk her into school?
Speaker 3: Right, crazy?
Speaker 2: That is?
Speaker 5: I mean that is so heavy?
Speaker 3: Yep, so heavy.
Speaker 1: At school, the day's over once again, missus Henry is chasing after miss Woodmere to point out that Ruby isn't taking fizz Ed and should have some type of music class, But instead of concerned, miss Woodmere just walks away. She's now forced to vacate school property expeditiously just because of Ruby. Missus Henry points out that it's not Ruby's fault, it's because of people's attitudes towards Ruby. Miss Woodmere claims she's caught in the middle. What does missus Henry expect.
Speaker 3: Her to do? And she gets in her car and she leaves.
Speaker 1: Back in the classroom, we get a montage Ruby is studying and now missus Henry is even teaching Fizzed. They're doing jumping jacks as people still protest outside, yelling slurs and things like I'm going to poison you, Ruby asked her when all the other kids are coming back, so things can just get back to normal. Missus Henry says, the students will come back eventually. Their parents are just angry. They'll get over it, but for now she has her very own school. The bell rings and missus Henry tells Ruby she'll be back in thirty minutes after lunch. And I thought this was weird that now she sits alone in silence. It seemed like I was waiting for something to happen while she was by herself, Like I was just on edge, safe, thinking something was gonna happen.
Speaker 3: I wrote it down by herself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's in a very unsafe environment. There are people outside, yeah, you know, picking against her in there, and then you're telling me you're gonna leave her alone that to mention she's five or six.
Speaker 5: I don't think you leave five or six through.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't leave a group of them alone anyone else, like they're.
Speaker 5: Little, you know.
Speaker 3: It was that was absolutely terrible.
Speaker 1: Back home, mister Bridges is sitting on the porch. His neighbors are playing some instruments while there's are staring at him quite visibly upset. And then doctor Broyard's car pulls up, now accompanied by doctor Coles and his wife.
Speaker 3: We're now inside Ruby's house.
Speaker 1: Lucille is folding laundry when doctor Broyard introduces the family to the Coles. Doctor Coles is a psychiatrist and came all the way from Biloxi to help. Abon admits that they can't afford a psychiatrist. Doctor Coles assures them he won't be charging anything. Mister Bridges thanks him, but nobody in their house is crazy.
Speaker 3: Quote unquote.
Speaker 1: Doctor Cole says he has a lot of experience working with kids facing diversity, and it's helpful to speak to somebody outside the family. Aban isn't hearing it, though, and wishes them a nice day. Doctor Cole gives Lucille her card and thanks them as they leave. We're now back in class. It's lunchtime again and missus Henry gives Ruby a book as she leaves for lunch. This time, a frustrated Ruby just knocks it over. Then the Deputy Marshall enters the room to check on her, and they give each other a little smile.
Speaker 3: And I was.
Speaker 1: Hoping this was going to be a relationship. We got to see a little more same. Yeah, I was hoping to see that. They started to befriend this little girl, Like I was kind of really hoping for that relationship to blossom.
Speaker 3: A bit.
Speaker 2: I was too, just because I mean I started thinking about this being a real story, and like, you know, like him looking at this young girl, going wow, going through so much, and I'm sure if we got a chance to speak to her that there were certain relationships that she built hundred as she was sort of in this isolation aspect.
Speaker 1: We also have to imagine, so it's nineteen sixty, so people like her father's age and the age of these deputy marshals, most of these people were probably in the war, whether it was the First World War or the Second World War. Her father was undoubtedly the second, but some of the older gentlemen might have been in the First, but probably the Second World War.
Speaker 3: But most of these people probably saw battle right.
Speaker 1: And I have to imagine bravery recognizes bravery. So when you've been in the war or you've done this stuff and now you're looking at a six year old little girl who's keeping her head up and walking through hatred, I have to imagine you start to respect that person even as a little kid. A soldier is going to look at that child and just recognize bravery. So I have to imagine that there is a relationship that took place between her and those marshals, and would love to find out what that was like, really incredible. We're now in Ruby's backyard. Abon and Lucille are having tea with doctor Boyard and his wife. Lucille is hoping someone in the NAACP can help Abe and find some work, but doctor Boyard doesn't think now is a good time for him to be looking. He needs to lay low and let things settle down. But Aben knows that the donations aren't gonna last forever. But doctor Boyard says he'll make sure that all of their needs are met. And you can tell this man doesn't want to just be handed money. He wants to work, which I know that feeling you just want to work. Missus Cole says, to remember what a privilege it is for Ruby to be doing this, but Aban doesn't get it. How is it a privilege to put your six year old in danger? How is it a privilege to lose your job? He slams down a newspaper and heads inside. One of the younger kids says.
Speaker 3: Uh, oh, Daddy's mad.
Speaker 1: Later, back on the front porch, Evan is trying to calm down on the steps when his wife joins him. He doesn't want to talk, but instead just gets up to play ball with his son. In the kitchen, Lucille is now giving abe and a haircut. Their youngest daughter runs in, younging that Ruby called her little brother Charlie the N word and then threatened to kill him a little later, in the dining room, Lucille is cleaning while Ruby sits at the table playing with a doll, but we quickly realize she has tied a ribbon around the doll's neck and is now holding it up in the air like a noose.
Speaker 3: Lucille is, of course concerned. And if someone only.
Speaker 1: Saw this scene of Ruby Bridges in a d com, I don't even know what they would think.
Speaker 3: They think it was like a horror movie or something crazy.
Speaker 1: But this little girl is obviously having some serious problems at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again it's the that the mom reacts and how you I talk about the acting, You see the it going through her eyes in her head of how what's the best way to react to what she's doing? Is it to you know, your instinct is to freak.
Speaker 5: Out or you know what I mean, or have a big, big reaction, and she really just.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh man, this mom is just that. Yeah's handling this a rock star, obviously like a rock star exactly.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: It's the next day and the Bridges have finally called doctor Coles to sit with Ruby. He asked her to draw a picture of her school and she includes stick figure protesters out front. Doctor Coles asks if that's how the people look to her, and she admits she doesn't know. She doesn't look at them because her mom and the other man told her not to. After the session, we're inside doctor Cole's car. He's driving home with his wife in the passenger seat. She praises the Bridges and encourages him to sit down with them at their next visit. He explains he's not there to socialize. He's also confused. According to Ruby, everything in school is fine and she's having a good time.
Speaker 3: Missus Coles is sure he'll eventually figure it out. We jump cut to the school.
Speaker 1: The out for Blood protesters are still yelling mean and racist things at Ruby as she's escorted to the door, and a very disturbed doctor Coles watches on from nearby. We're back at Ruby's house in the middle of the night. A scared Ruby climbs into bed with her parents. She says she had bad thoughts, and Lucille asks if she said her prayers. Ruby says no. Sir Mom tells her to go and ask God to take.
Speaker 3: Care of it.
Speaker 1: Ruby returns to her room and kneels at her bed to pray, as Lucille watches on from the doorway. We're now at Stein's grocery store. Ruby and her dad are grabbing some milk as two white men stare on in judgment. As usual, Ruby says hi to the owner, missus Stein, who this time coldly responds by asking that they don't ever come back. Abben asks why, but missus Stein just tells him to leave. Abben scoffs and reminds her that his family supported her when she first moved in, and white customers wouldn't buy from her because she's Jewish. All he's been is good to her. But if this is what she wants, so be it. We're now back at the Bridge's kitchen and they've all finished dinner except for Ruby. She says she's not hungry, but Lucille begs her to please eat. Ruby says she'll have some chips out of a bag, but only from a new bag and a Coca cola. As she says it, Lucille takes away Ruby's untouched plate and gives her a sealed bag of chips and some sort of pill or vitamin and then it's never mentioned. We don't know what that is. Was she giving her an aspirin, something to sleep?
Speaker 3: Vitamin C? It's literally never talked about again.
Speaker 2: But it was so deliberately given. It was like, I thought this was gonna be an aspect of what they had, what they felt that needed to happen.
Speaker 5: You know, what is a neentative?
Speaker 1: Is it? I mean, yeah, I don't know what it was. And again never just never mentioned again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if that was like a scene that was cut later on or yeah, this was a I don't know, it just didn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ruby asked if missus Stein has ever stood outside her school and said those mean things. Missus Bridges says no, she's Jewish and people aren't much nicer to her. Ruby reveals they've been banned from the store, and Lucille says that she's not very nice. Ruby doesn't know why no one likes her, but her mama suers her it's not her. They just don't want black kids going to their schools, but she deserves a good education. She reminds Ruby that God loves her and these protesters don't know what they're talking about. And the next day at school, as Ruby arrives, the scene outside is even more unruly and racist. Then a man breaks through the barricade and runs towards Ruby. As a result, the Marshall's rush her to safety, but it turns out the man was a reverend and he was just trying to return his daughter to school. He's then called a trader and spit on by a protester, so the US Marshal also helps him.
Speaker 3: And his daughter.
Speaker 1: Inside in the classroom, missus Henry is comforting a crying Ruby, insisting that not all people are like the protesters. This is where she tries to explain slavery to Ruby, detailing that the South was forced to free all the slaves and some people just haven't gotten over it. Ruby wonders why they say all those mean things. She didn't do anything to deserve it. Missus Henry agrees, they just feel threatened and they don't even like themselves. It's lunchtime now in the classroom, and once again Ruby is all alone. She pours her thermos into a nearby glue container, then high it's her sandwich in a cabinet, and we still don't know.
Speaker 3: What this is about.
Speaker 1: At this point, we're starting to put it together, but we're not quite there. We just know that while Ruby seems to be hiding it very well, she's obviously dealing with some serious psychological issues, which how could you not yeah. That night, in the Bridge's dining room, Ruby is again sitting with doctor Coles and he asked about one of her new drawings.
Speaker 3: It's of Alison and Alison's dad.
Speaker 1: Ruby says Alison is sad because she's not allowed to play with her anymore. Doctor Coles is shocked to hear Allison is black, especially because she uses pink crans for her skin color. He also notices she drew herself with pink skin and blue hair, and everyone who's black is missing body parts, but missus Henry and doctor Coles are intact. We see that Aban is now looking on from a nearby doorway as Ruby picks up one of doctor Cole's drawings and jokingly makes fun of it. They share a laugh as he agrees he's not much of an artist. Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Lucilla and Missus Coles are having a good time cooking. Doctor Coles enters and his wife is excited she's learned how to make red beans and Rice. Aban wants to talk to doctor Coles, but he really has to hit the road.
Speaker 3: Doctor Cole says he's concerned about Ruby.
Speaker 1: He asked if they've noticed any unusual behavior, and Lucille reveals she'll only eat packaged foods and soda.
Speaker 3: Doctor Cole says he thinks he knows what's happening.
Speaker 1: One of the Hecklers has repeatedly threatened to kill Ruby by poisoning her. The Bridges can't believe it. Lucilla's so upset she leaves the room. Doctor Cole apologizes and Evan says it's not his fault. In the bedroom, Lucilla's now crying very hard. How can people be so cruel to her baby? She thought they were just doing the right thing at this point. I imagine, Sabrina, you had lost it.
Speaker 2: I am just I'm like inconsolable at this point, like I oh to figure out that was what it was right, And again you're talking about a little girl, six year old girl, when little girls this age take everything so literal, like everything that is said is absorbed, it's internalized, and I'm just.
Speaker 3: It's like I'm not I'm not talking about it.
Speaker 5: I can't. It's so sad.
Speaker 1: I know, it's it is very difficult. Evan finally says Ruby is not staying at the school anymore. Lucille wants her to pray. Lucille wants to pray on it. God wouldn't give her more than she can handle, but Aben lays down a frame picture of Jesus. He knows he's doing what's best for his daughter. He knows that Ruby now thinks white people are better than them, which is why she draws black people deformed and white people perfect. It's so many levels, Lucille. As Lucille asks what that has to do with Jesus, and Evan reminds her they don't even really know what Jesus look like. When Ruby sees that picture of Jesus every day, her God looks more like the white folks outside protesting than they do her At doctor Cole's house. Doctor Cole asks his wife to make dinner. After saying no to her beans and rice at the bridges, His wife says she's not hungry now she had a home cooked meal. She says good night and abruptly heads off. You could tell there's some issues going on with them as well. In Ruby's backyard the next afternoon, Ruby is so excited to show her dadt her newest report card. She got all a's. Evan is proud, but you can tell something's bothering him. He asks if she likes her new school. She proudly says yes, and he's glad she does. He tells her that Mary and Carl are waiting for her up the street, so go get changed to play. Ruby heads inside and Evan stares at their port card, confused about what to do next. The next day, at school, people are still protesting. These people just won't go away. But a white mom is walking her two kids to the front door. Another woman who's been calling everyone a trader, watches on as her son sprints to join his friend. He wants to go to school too, so themselves starting to cross the picket lines. Because again you're not born hating people.
Speaker 3: You're taught it.
Speaker 1: In Ruby's kitchen, Ruby still won't eat. Her mom reminds her the rice and beans were wrapped at the market, no one could have contaminated it. Eventually, Ruby takes a bite and asks her mom when those people will stop yelling at her. Lucille tells her she's got a turn to the Lord. The men are there to protect her, and God loves her. Doctor Broyard and his wife arrive and have a gift for Ruby. It is a beautiful blue dress. Doctor Broyard's wife, Alma, wonders if they can spend the day with Ruby sometime. They have a piano and they can teach her to play. Evan doesn't look thrilled. He walks out to get some fresh air. Lucille apologizes her husband is obviously having a very hard time with everything going on, which you don't blame the man.
Speaker 2: No, you just found out this couple who's I mean, it's like, oh, you have your own piano back then that was huge to own it like a piano is a big statement of Yeah.
Speaker 1: They also of wealth, I imagine, but also I think as a as a father, and again I'm a stepdad not the same, never raised a child from birth.
Speaker 3: So I have to imagine, though.
Speaker 1: A you color notwithstanding you don't want your child used as a prop, and you're starting to feel like, well, what are all these people are? What is my daughter getting out of this other than hatred? Where yes, it might be good for this community or good for this community, or good in the overall run, but why do I have to sacrifice my daughter's mental health, physical well being to make it better for everyone else in the world. Meanwhile, the only one where they're head held high the entire time as Ruby, even though she's starting to have a mental breakdown a bit. And it's one of those things where I have to imagine the dad is being told you can't get a job, we'll just give you handouts, and he's like, I don't want handouts.
Speaker 3: I'm a man.
Speaker 1: I want to work. I was a soldier for God's sakes. I want to work for my living. I want to take care of my family. I don't want my daughter being pulled around all over the place, being used as a prop by this community.
Speaker 3: By that, he must be just losing it as a man at this point.
Speaker 1: Yes, I couldn't imagine then the mom, you know, just trying to do what's best for her child, because that's all she's looking at is the education that her kiki.
Speaker 3: It's so crazy the number of things that must be going through all these people's heads.
Speaker 2: Yes, as a family unit, the polls, and then also having two younger kids that you're trying to raise try to set a good example for try to show the inspiration that.
Speaker 5: Their older sister is doing. It's like, how do you explain that to little ones? Right?
Speaker 2: Like, it's just it is such a hard, incredible inspiration that this family is willing to go through all of these struggles yep, to help not just their family out, but their entire like such a bigger picture. Yeah, this is what they keep putting in front of their own sacrifice that they're doing.
Speaker 1: And then and that's the question, is what, you know, do I sacrifice my child safety for future children?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And it's again it's it's such an important question because societally you would probably look at it and go, of course you do that, that's that's what you need to do. But personally, as a parent, you're probably like, well, then you do it with your kid. I'm not gonna do it with them. I'm not you know, until that first person steps up. It's there's so many levels. Again, there's so many levels of what's going on. So in the backyard, Lucille tells her husband that the Broyards mean well. Eban argues, they don't actually care about Ruby. If they were real friends, they would have invited them all to tea, not just Ruby. They aren't real friends around for the nightmares and eating disorder. It's true, Lucille yell's back. There's nothing wrong with Ruby, seeing how good education can help in life. She wants her to experience being in a nice house without having to clean it. Evan just doesn't want his daughter being used anymore. Mister Bridge is now in the front porch, letting off some steam by whittling a stick. One of the neighbors walks up and reveals he has a few house painting gigs coming up and he could use some help. He can't pay a mechanic salary, but it would be something. Evan shakes his hand. He appreciates the offer, and I'll see him in the morning. Ruby is now alone in the classroom and decides to peek through a keyhole to see the next door and is immediately depressed. Missus Henry returns and asks if everything's okay. But Ruby now knows that more kids came back, so why aren't they all in the same class. Missus Henry sets her up to make some see okay, so well sets her up to make some more Valentines. But I thought as the kids were starting to break through the picket line and more kids were being put in, I thought, now there were going to be two kids in her class, and now there's going to be three kids in her class.
Speaker 5: Sae.
Speaker 3: But no, she's still in.
Speaker 1: A class by herself while the whole other class is being taught without her.
Speaker 2: Well, and the segregation topic was this principle was like, well, I'm not that's not what we're doing here, and the marshal was like, yes you are. You are, like you are absolutely doing here. This is by law what you have to do. So it's interesting to know that, you know, if this, if this went this way, and it was like a couple kids at a time that they then were going against the law and still segregating them like they were breaking the law because of their own values versus.
Speaker 5: Following what the law was saying that this was a de segregation.
Speaker 3: I want to.
Speaker 1: Know what the law says, because because the you know, being raised by two lawyers, the law is very literal, meaning one word can change the entire thing. So did it say we're integrating the school or did it say we're integrating the classroom, because you know, you could see some lawyer come up and saying, hey, I said I'd integrate the school. There's a black child in the classroom right next to us. The school is integrated. I never said I'd into great the classroom, and they would use these kind of legal loopholes, and.
Speaker 3: I wonder if something like that.
Speaker 1: I'm so curious to know the actual ins and outs of what the law said, because they know they did everything they could to try.
Speaker 3: To skirt the letter of the law.
Speaker 1: At this point, though, missus Henry rushes to Miss Woodmere's office. She tells her there's no reason why Ruby should be there and by herself all day, especially since the other kids are also first graders and right next door. Miss Woodmere explains that Miss Spencer doesn't want to teach Ruby and no one is going to force her to, so missus Henry suggests that the kids come to her class for some of the day. She'll teach them all. Missus Henry says it's cruel to isolate a child, and if they continue to separate Ruby, she's breaking federal law. So there you go. I'm so curious to know what the law said. Missus Henry threatens to call Superintendent Redman, and missus Woodmere looks heated.
Speaker 3: And so over in Ruby's classroom.
Speaker 1: Missus Henry finally opens the connecting door to miss Spencer's classroom and Ruby looks elated. All the semi reluctant students line up, and missus Henry introduces them to a beaming Ruby. The kids start playing a game of Duck Duck goose in one of the girl skips right past Ruby. Missus Henry reminds her that Ruby's playing too, but the little kids still won't touch Ruby's head. That little boy, the rude woman outside, Jimmy, says he can't play with Ruby because of his mom and uses an absolutely disgusting slur in the process. It seems some other kids don't want to play with her either. Ruby looks very hurt. This is obviously not going to be easy, as if anything has been. Later that day, in Ruby's dining room. Ruby and doctor Coles are together again. Ruby says Jimmy didn't hurt her feelings.
Speaker 3: She gets it.
Speaker 1: If her mom or dad told her not to play with somebody, she wouldn't either. Allison's dad told her not to play with Ruby, but she still does sometimes. Ruby asked doctor Cole if his mom would let him drink some special blend tea with her. Doctor Cole asked Ruby if she but if she'd be upset if his mommy said he couldn't. She says she would be sad because maybe he wouldn't visit her anymore. Ruby says she's lonely at lunch time since the other kids don't play with her. He wonders if there's anything she could do to make herself feel better, like cry or draw, and Ruby immediately changes the subject. Our tea is ready, and then they pray together. In the backyard, Ruby and Allison are playing a card game with Ruby's dad sitting on the steps nearby. Ruby asks Allison if her dad would let them play ball together, and she says probably no. Her dad says black people shouldn't be focused on games. They should be working hard. If you want something in this world, and right on time, Allison's dad yells at her and he runs and grabs her. He tells Abm that before Ruby went to that school, the neighborhood was fine, but now there are barricades and people are talking about boycotting Marti Gras, which means his tavern will be empty. They leave, and Ruby sits next to her dad on the steps, somehow able to still make each other smile, and again they're just getting it from all possible.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 1: And now in the front of the school, Ruby is making her normal bee line to the front door, surrounded by protesters, but now we see there's also a supportive group of black people quietly watching on from afar, and this time something different happens. Ruby turns back not only to look, but to walk back down the steps.
Speaker 3: The marshals don't know what to do.
Speaker 1: She makes it to the final step and starts moving her mouth confidently, but we can't hear what she's saying over all the yelling. We're at Ruby's house later and doctor Cole wants to know what she said. Did she finally snap and get angry at them? She says no, she was praying for them. She prays for them every day in the car, but had forgotten that morning a shock. Doctor Cole asked what prayer, and she responds while we see images of the angry mob, she says, Please God, forgive these people, because even if they say those mean things, they don't know what they're doing, so you can forgive them, just like you did those folks a long time ago when they said terrible things about you. She notices they used to have a picture of Jesus on the wall, but somebody stole it, so she's going to go put up her paintings.
Speaker 3: On the wall now instead.
Speaker 1: In the living room the bridges, there are two other kids and missus Cole are watching TV. Little Carl jumps on missus Cole's lap, and when Lucille tries to get him off, missus Cole says it's okay. Doctor Coles and Ruby enter and start taping her pictures to the wall.
Speaker 3: Abe admits that.
Speaker 1: Doctor Cole's visits and attention make Ruby feel really special. Lucille asks if the doctor would like something to drink, and he finally says yes.
Speaker 3: But says to call him Bob.
Speaker 1: Doctor Coles appreciates Aban's words, but they are the ones that make Ruby feel special and strong, and now her drawings are so much better. She's using brown crans to draw perfectly depicted black family members. Lucille returns with not only a drink, but a bowl of gumbo. He loves it and they all start laughing. Later on, at the Cole's house, Missus Coles is transcribing her husband's report on Ruby. He's impressed by her courage and purpose and the family's ability to support her. As he continues to reveal his observations. We see Ruby at school, now reading a book out loud to the students next door. Everyone is listening except Jimmy, who sadly still has his fingers in his ears. Miss Spencer and Miss Woodmere are watching on as Miss Spencer actually looks proud of Ruby. Doctor Coles continues, having something to believe in protected Ruby from psychiatric symptoms and gave her a dignity and strength that is utterly remarkable, And of course he's talking about her faith in God. Miss Spencer points out to Miss Woodmere that Miss Henry is a good teacher. Even her kids can't read this well. Miss Woodmere doesn't look in pressed and is handed a note from the janitor. The lunch bell rings, and Ruby is back with missus Henry in their room when miss Woodmere, a janitor, and the Deputy Marshall all enter the classroom. Aparently there have been mice and cockroaches in the room, and the janitor needs to find out why. As he searches, the janitor stumbles on the cabinet filled with Ruby's hidden food. Later, missus Henry opens the big tub of glue on her desk and sees everything Ruby's been doing to avoid eating. Missus Henry isn't angry, she's just very concerned. Ruby says she's been eating more than she used to, but doesn't always like what her mom makes with that. Missus Henry and Ruby finally eat lunch together and have a lot of fun in the process. The next day, in class, missus Henry hands Ruby a test to see how much she's learned from this entire year and wishes her luck. Later, in Ruby's backyard, Ruby is sitting alone when doctor Coles arrives with a large box.
Speaker 3: He says it's a surprise.
Speaker 1: He takes out a doll's house and tells her to pretend the house is her classroom and that the dolls are the students. He wants Ruby to tell them who they are and what they're like. Ruby picks some of the dolls and starts describing classmates, eventually getting to Jimmy. She says he used to be bad, but now he plays okay, but sometimes he remembers that she's black and gets bad again. He pushes her and calls her mean things. Doctor Cole asks what she does in response, and she says nothing. She used to do bad things back, but not anymore. Ruby wants a cola, so she runs inside and grabs one. Aben tells doctor Coles their wives are making gumbo and asks if he wants to take a walk with him later, and doctor Coles says sure in the front yard. Later, doctor Coles and mister Bridges are across the street and we see Missus Stein from the grocery store carrying a box filled with things for the Bridges. Abon notes that things are finally starting to calm down. We're now in the neighborhood jazz club. Doctor Coles and Aben walk into a full on jam session and all sit down together. Aban reveals he got a purple heart for being wounded while saving a white soldier. Doctor Coles points out that he shed blood for a country that doesn't even allow him to enjoy the freedom that he fought to maintain, and that probably doesn't feel good. Aban says that's why he doesn't have much faith in integration. Doctor Coles admits that before he met Ruby, he never thought about segregation. Aban admits that he learned a lot from Ruby too. We're now in the crowded school office. Missus Henry gets Ruby's test scores and they're incredible. As she celebrates, Miss Woodmere says she's lowering the score to more accurately reflect her ability, and that's when I wanted to reach through the screenpl my gosh, this lady.
Speaker 3: Was infuriating, truly infuriating. It really really was.
Speaker 1: Ruby has been privately tutored the whole year with special attention with being sir. Scores are inaccurate when compared to students who didn't get this treatment. Miss Henry says, Miss Woodrear is just upset because Ruby did better than the other students. Woodmere insists ruby scores are too high and will change them how she sees fit. Miss Henry reminds her the only reason she was privately taught is because she wouldn't put her in with the other children. Miss Woodmere says the experiment to mix the children failed, but missus Henry insists that the kids don't care what color she is. It's only the parents and the ignorant people who teach them to hate. Miss Woodmere says if missus Henry is unhappy at.
Speaker 3: The school, she shouldn't come back.
Speaker 1: Then Miss Spencer tries to stand up for Miss Henry finally, but another teacher tells her to shut up.
Speaker 5: Missus has slapped that girl too.
Speaker 1: A lot of possible slapping, Yes, a lot of a lot of slap, boat hurt and hurt risk. By the time I was done, missus Henry wonders if the children mean anything and leaves, but on her way out, she says the country is changing, whether Miss Woodmere likes it or not.
Speaker 3: Then an emotional Miss Spencer speaks up again.
Speaker 1: Missus Henry worked her behind off and spent nearly every minute of the day dedicated to her job. She reminds Miss Woodmere her job is to support the teachers, not sabotage them, and then she races after Miss Henry finally yes back in the neighborhood kids are playing baseball again, and Alison's dad is pitching to Carl, Ruby's little brother.
Speaker 3: When Aban pulls.
Speaker 1: Up after a long day of house painting, Allison's dad seems to have come around. He says everyone is actually really proud of Ruby. Doctor Coles and his wife pull up, and Ruby skips over to offer a popsicle. Ruby and the doctor work at a nearby table, and she says she's going to have a birthday party soon and wants the Coles to come. He says they'll be there and asks about her new drawing. It's him, Missus Coles, the boy yards and Jimmy. Jimmy is now her friend, even though his mom doesn't want him to be and he doesn't call her names anymore. She thinks people are happier when they make good friends. Doctor Coles agrees and says she's been a great teacher, then asks for a hug. Inside the school of Smiling, Ruby walks by Woodmere, who looks like she's been crying. Her ruling with bigotry has come to an end. Yay, in the school's playground, Missus Henry and Ruby are sitting on a bench when one of the other students calls over for Ruby to sit with her.
Speaker 3: Miss Spencer apologizes to missus Henry.
Speaker 1: She's sorry they didn't get to know each other better over this year and thinks what she did was the right thing and she did it very well. Missus Henry says that means a lot to her. Hopefully next year, if Miss Spencer gets Ruby or someone like Ruby as a student, she can do the same.
Speaker 3: Nearby, Ruby is on the playground carousel having fun with Jimmy. And with that we hear some narration about Ruby Bridges' Educational Foundation, established in nineteen ninety five to build an understanding of cultural diversity within public schools across the nation. Under Ruby's leadership, The growth and success of the foundation continues to prove that the sacrifices her family made were not in vain.
Speaker 1: And that is our movie. That was a tough one to watch. But what did other people think about it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Why don't we do some real reviews?
Speaker 1: And I have the one star from some idiot named phrase three oh seven. Ugh. Uh, And it's just as strange.
Speaker 3: It's strange, and you cannot like a movie. You can you can understand, you can.
Speaker 1: Say respect the the subject matter of a movie, and not like a movie that's perfectly okay, hey it didn't wasn't directed well, it didn't like the acting.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 1: This says we were expecting something with intelligent talking points instead of a glorified ten minute YouTube presentation blown up into a poorly scripted TV movie. If your kid doesn't have an interest in or understanding of American civil rights movement, then consider something like The Box Trolls instead.
Speaker 3: One star.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what that means, just right around, right with the people on the pic, like you're just I can't.
Speaker 3: I just don't get what it even means though, It's like, what do you what are you saying? It?
Speaker 5: Almost Yeah, it's so weird.
Speaker 2: I've got the five star, which I'm I do love this five star.
Speaker 3: It's a good, good one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: From Rosanna Bodafogo. Those films that hurt in the soul, if it hurt to watch. I can't imagine what it'd be like to live in an act of racism. It seems impossible to have such a brave little girl, beautiful family, that education and character is priceless. Ruby Ridges bought bravely for a lot a biography that is needed, deserved, exciting, delicate, courageous, faithful, very proud of this Disney production.
Speaker 3: That was great.
Speaker 1: And you know what, We're not gonna do a feature game this week. There's no points and I.
Speaker 5: Don't have any Sabrina sees.
Speaker 1: Okay, the things just score this movie, yes, and we're just gonna go with Little Heroes as our scoring system.
Speaker 3: Out of time that one out of ten, that's what we're gonna do. What did you think you go first?
Speaker 2: As hard as as it was to watch, I'm right there with our five star. It was a great movie that I felt really shed light on a hard topic and Disney did it in a delicate way.
Speaker 5: Even though it was rough.
Speaker 2: It was rough to watch, but I mean I was just pulled right in with this family and just in awe of such an incredible story and to really know that this is of someone's real life was just incredibly inspiring. I loved this movie. Hard to watch, but oh, this was a great one. This is ten Little Heroes for me. I thought the acting in this movie was phenomenal. It was just such a good watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: From a historical standpoint, the story was obviously outstanding. As a film, the acting was wonderful. I would have liked a little bit more from the script in regard to some of the other relationships that Ruby had. The other thing is it has to be very, very difficult to have a movie based around a six year old because as an actor, as good as you are at six, it's tough tough to act ever, but let alone as a six year old. I think as a film, some of Lord Selma was better in my opinion, just as a movie. That being said, this was, you know, incredible.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think to the difference between the actors and Lord similar Selma, where it was a pretty big gap compared to a five or six year old.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's easier to put a movie through a kid's eyes when your actors eleven or twelve, much easier and also.
Speaker 2: Script wise, you're then talking about this young actor like the relationship, like the relationship we wanted between her and the Marshall, like that would happen. You know, that's a delicate relationship to have put on screen. So it is I think you were a little they were somewhat limited, I guess with that agree age different.
Speaker 3: That being said, Disney does these movies so well.
Speaker 1: This to me is like, it's so funny because people think of the Disney Channel Bread and Butter as like a high school musical, as these big lavish musicals that stuff.
Speaker 3: And they certainly are, and I totally see that.
Speaker 1: I see why Cheated Girls, why a whole generation of girls still dress like the Cheata Girls and other stuff. It's so important. But Disney also does stuff like this so unbelievably well. They know the audience they have, and they know that you can make something like this an incredible teaching moment for an entire generation of people watching a movie. So that's why I love these movies again, The Selma, Lord Selma, This Color of Friendship. There's a reason why these are like my favorite kind of movies to watch is because a I love history, I love true stories, but I also love putting them through the eyes of a kid. I mean, the idea of watching this little girl and you want to reach through and grab her and hold on to her and be like, I'll walk you to school every day like that.
Speaker 3: There's a power in that.
Speaker 1: When it comes to a movie where it's like you want to jump through the screen to somebody, You want to jump through the screen to slap a lady in the face.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's like but there's a power in that filmmaking where you're just like, I'll be there for you if you need me.
Speaker 3: And it's so that movie did this. It was absolutely wonderful.
Speaker 2: And to know that Disney did that four kids, not just us, not for us adults. It's for kids to give them that level of empathy or it's a time that they don't know anything about, and it's.
Speaker 1: Just But again, I think I liked some alert someone better and I think I gave some alert Sema ten. So I'm going to give this a nine point five.
Speaker 3: Little Heroes.
Speaker 1: This was a great movie all the way around. It really is an important movie, tough movie, tough movie to watch.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, I cry, like literally through the majority of these scenes that were it was so hard to think about this young little girl, to think about her mom, her whole family, her community, everyone.
Speaker 5: It was just rough.
Speaker 3: The dynamic of the family is so interesting to watch. And you know, it's.
Speaker 1: Another thing where this doesn't get talked about, and you you think about it, or it doesn't get talked about it enough. And you know, every person has to find this their own way if they have it or they don't, and it doesn't matter either way around.
Speaker 3: It's whatever works for you. But it also shows the power of faith in this.
Speaker 1: Movie, where you know, they talk about how this little girl's faith is one of the things that psychologically kept her right safe at least that you know, she was starting to have some problems, but that was the one thing she leaned on. And if you have whatever that is in your life, if you sometimes it's your family, sometimes it's your faith, sometimes it's your partner, sometimes it's whatever. But if you have that that structure in your life, it's something that can be very helpful and protective. And that was another interesting aspect of this movie. So if you haven't seen it, go check it out again. It is it's a tough watch, but an important one. And you know, if you want to check out other pioneering names, something like Ruby Bridges, then you know, especially when it comes to integration, read stuff about Claudette Colvin or the Little Rock Nine, Barbara John's there's some incredible stories out there, so please go and check those out our next movie. We're going back to dcoms. We're going back to some of the lighter hearted dcoms and more of the stuff that is quote unquote dcom films.
Speaker 3: That we've been watching.
Speaker 1: We want to close the summer out here, and we want to do it right because we want to do it with a snowboarding movie, and we also want to do it before the summer ever started.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, So we want to close the summer out before the summer started with the snowboarding movie, with the snowboarding movie.
Speaker 5: And here at Magical rewind. That just makes it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the trucks completely tracks. Nothing I said is wrong. It completely tracks Ever Nope, it works. We're going to be watching the twenty fourteen snowboarding movie Cloud nine. By the way, you do not have to watch the first eight to understand what happened.
Speaker 3: It is available.
Speaker 1: I'm kidding, there's not a Cloud one through eighth. I have you heard of this movie?
Speaker 2: No, because I feel like what I was in Aspen Cloud nine was a club at one of the top of the okay where they spray move everywhere.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure that was the you're in of.
Speaker 1: Club where you were getting sprayed Wow, nice, I'm the one.
Speaker 3: I'm the guy in Amen.
Speaker 2: How much is about? I don't think that's what this dcom will be about, though.
Speaker 3: I have a big feel probably not.
Speaker 1: It's my favorite part of Aspen is the thirty seven dollars drinks Ridiculous. It is available now Cloud nine to stream on Disney Plus. And while we wait, we have a park Opper episode for you that you do not want to miss. We are so happy to get this person we got to speak to because you know, we just listened to watch this movie and is one of our favorites.
Speaker 3: The Slumber Party.
Speaker 1: Yes, we got to talk to the star of The Slumber Party, Darby Camp herself.
Speaker 3: We were so excited. We know her best as Megan.
Speaker 1: Of course, we talked her all about starring in The Tween Hangover, which is also We're hard. What's what it was like to drive a Hedgehog? Did she actually shave her eyebrow? Here is a small snippet of what you can expect.
Speaker 4: We had our stunt coordinator in the go kart like in the Hedgehog, and he was driving it underneath, and we actually were freely going on the road like in the real road. There were some scenes that were green screen, like the close ups and like all of our screams and all of that, but no, we were actually on the road, like going in this go car, and it was so much fun and the best part, which I love, is just the freedom to be able to just go crazy.
Speaker 1: Make sure to listen to that one. She was so cool to talk to us and we had a ton of fun with Darby. It's one of the many interviews in recaps you can find online just by searching for Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcasts. It is worth noting if you listen to us just on the Podmeats World feed, you're missing all of our awesome interviews and there are some really cool behind the scenes stories, so make sure to subscribe to the separate Magical Rewind feed today.
Speaker 3: Thanks everybody, and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 6: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: M