Speaker 1: Orange County Season twelve, episode three is Anything But Quiet One, Shannon Badore and Kelly Dodd cause a scene at the Quiet Woman, creating one of the most iconic OC episodes to date. Legendary actress, singer, author, businesswoman, and health spokesperson Suzanne Summers joins me to recap the loudest Housewives dinner of them all. This is Real Housewives of Orange County Season twelve, episode three, The Not So Quiet Woman. Let's get into it. Okay, So are you a Housewife watcher?
Speaker 2: I'm not not. These are the first time I'm doing this for you.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 1: And by the way, it's funny I'm doing this for us too, because I had never seen this episode. And what's funny too, is that I don't watch the show. Really, I was on the show, but I don't watch the show. But I wonder if there are many things you've been in that you wouldn't necessarily watch.
Speaker 2: Well, I did, and I didn't realize I was doing it. You know, Yolanda had right and she had lime disease. That's how we met. I meet people over diseases, right, And so Yolanda, a little tricky says, I want you to come over and just talk about line. And when I sat there on the couch, I realized, Oh, we're doing a show.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, you were on the Housewives talking about Lime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whatever show she was doing.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay.
Speaker 1: So then I sometimes like when someone really is just seeing this fresh because it's a really unique perspective. But I'm seeing this show somewhat fresh. I know more obviously than you do. But when I watched them, I really a lot of things come to mind, all right, Because there was one part about a double mistectomy I thought you would find interesting, and so there are nuggets.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of garbage to.
Speaker 1: Pick through in these shows, but there are sometimes some you know, things, some vehicles for good conversation.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so all right, So.
Speaker 1: I thought, and I'm coming. We're coming in seasons later after these people start. But this woman's Shannon who I know who she is, Shannon Badore. I don't know if I've ever met her. She's with this other woman, Lydia, at a party. And it seems insane to be having this kind of argument, taking something so seriously and pulling off on a stretch limousine mid broad light broad days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, God, she needed to chill, right, Yeah, okay, not that big a deal.
Speaker 1: I thought so too. And but what's funny is that how many times have you been married?
Speaker 2: Twice? Okay?
Speaker 1: So we later find out, not in this episode, but in this show that he's cheating on her and a younger girl and there's a loveless marriage, and like all of the yarn ball starts to un untie and I think about very challenging times in my life over here, and when you're very like intense over here.
Speaker 3: So I react, you over react, and you're.
Speaker 1: On a reality show and people are drinking and everything, and the stakes are heightened also with cameras. So I'm thinking that her weight and everything is like probably culminating at this time in her life. It doesn't seem like she is very happy at all.
Speaker 2: Is she the one who's gained forty pounds?
Speaker 3: She sounded like forty to fifty pounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's shit, And forty of those pounds on her on her weight is fat. I thought it was forty percent. Oh, I think you're right. That's really not quite awake yet.
Speaker 1: That's presumably why my producers chose you to talk about this though, because of the health aspect, like that's that sounded serious to you.
Speaker 2: Right when I watched, I thought, she's another victim of chemicalization. We're under the greatest environmental assault in the history of humanity, and people don't realize that. You know, the GI tract is the length of a tennis court, and around that barrier on the GI track is mucus, and that mucus is your immune system. When you eat a non organic food and fast food and things like that, that bad element comes into the body in through the GI tract and it eats through that barrier wall, causing leaky gut. It eats little holes, and the leaky gut is a major concern. So you know, I do these three Facebook live shows a week at Sudan Summers dot com, and everybody was complaining about their guts and their guts and their guts. And as I watched this woman on the Housewives, I thought, you've got gout issues, is what you've really got.
Speaker 1: And I thought that that scene with the chiropractor guy, I didn't really think he was too tough on her. I was wondering if people would think he was too tough. He kept saying was like wow, and then he said wow, and I feel like people that really love you, that are around you are not going to say like you need to lose weight or you're unhealthy or something. But I thought that he kind of was still supportive in the way that he said it to her. You did you agree.
Speaker 2: He was he was and what he was really asking, or you know when you look like this is are you having sex with your husband?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And I thought, probably not. She probably is embarrassed to take her clothes off. That's a that's a big weight gain. But once again, nobody is noticing that. It's the environment and the chemicals.
Speaker 1: And he's working out like a like a midlife crisis. And then you hear later that he's having an affair, and all these pieces are adding up in a woman's life and during menopause, and it's just she seems like she's having some sort of a break, like a disproportionate reaction to things, like she's at this party and she's melting down and she's never gonna speak to the person again, and then she just can't keep it together.
Speaker 2: It feels like.
Speaker 1: But that I gave her a lot of credit for talking to the audience about weigh one hundred and seventy two pounds like that must have been coreaged. She certainly just hadn't been on a scale in years. I thought that was pretty courageous. And she's lost a ton of weight, by the way, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's devastating to gain that kind of weight. I've never gained that kind of weight. But I did have stomach issues about ten years ago, and I was looking at myself in a publicity fiction. I thought, oh, it doesn't look good. But it's about what you're eating. Yeah, And it's not about fattening food. It's about eating chemicals in quantity. I say sometimes I say to people, what did you eat today? And they don't know. I go, well, and then let's go through it, and it's it's chemicals. It's fast food and chemicals. So it's just Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other girl was peggy and she's new. I had never seen her before in my life, and she had a double mastectomy, which is like, that's like when Angelina and Jolie did it. Proactively. You just you know that you're prone to that. That's a move, that's a courageous move, and when one's like a humbling move.
Speaker 2: But you know, I wrote a book about cancer called knockout doctors here and cancer without drugs. And one of the doctors I interviewed on cologist, she said, I have so many women coming in who've had mastectomies to remove the evidence. And she said, and then they're back again. It comes back. She said, just removing it isn't the answer. The answer is find the cause what caused this?
Speaker 1: Right Lydia is the girl who was the long hair who was having the argument in the beginning, and she's working with her husband. Do you work with your husband? So she's working with her husband in a magazine.
Speaker 3: I think it was nobleman.
Speaker 1: I looked at her, I saw that it didn't seem like it was around anymore.
Speaker 2: But do you work with your husband?
Speaker 1: Because I feel like you're together a lot.
Speaker 2: We run our business together, so you work together every day every day. We're never a part and that's always worked. We get along so great. I love our marriage and he loves our marriage.
Speaker 1: And I hear his dishes in the background right now, Yeah, he does that. That's amazing that you like you really like you're together because I'm on in a relationship. We're together all the time and this and it struck me when I saw Lydia were oh well, I saw her working with her husband. But she said something about her father who was successful and I guess her grandfather or uncle, and she kind of masculated her husband.
Speaker 2: Did you hear that when.
Speaker 1: She said, I wish he could be more like my father or it was either my uncle or grandfather, because her husband obviously doesn't work the way that she wants him to.
Speaker 3: I thought it was great.
Speaker 2: I don't think I heard that, but there's something that's ringing a bell.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They were sitting and then you saw like a cutaway and she said my father. I guess she comes from a wealthy family or successful father and another male figure in the family. And she was basically saying, which her husband's obviously going to see that she wishes her husband had more of what her father had, Like he's not tough.
Speaker 2: Relationship ruin her.
Speaker 3: That's like emasculation. One oh one, right, No, you.
Speaker 2: Don't, you don't compare. No, you love and if you love, you love, but you don't care. Yeah, no, no.
Speaker 1: And I think about the relationships on these shows a lot because in the beginning, the girl that we're saying is having challenge with her husband. When that Limo came, he was like, what's sweety what happened sweetye? He seemed like he was being nice to her, And I haven't seen a lot, but I've seen him on that show before being nice to her, and I feel like things devolve just like the way you know, think relationships devolve like wear and tear erosion in relationships. You can't really take it for granted. Because I watched her with him and he seems sweet. I'm not saying he's a good guy. I don't know anything about it, but I just mean the relationship seems to get really changed.
Speaker 2: I think a good relationship is about giving each other a lot of attention and not criticizing. And I just I think my relationship with Alan is as close to perfect as it can get. That's amazing. It is amazing.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: I met him when I was a girl and I think eighteen, and I loved him the moment I met him. That's amazing. And you've been together since. Yeah, we've been together fifty five years. That's unbelievable. Well, it's unbelievable when you consider I've been married twice, but I got pregnant at eighteen and that didn't work out so well. Yeah, yeah at that time. You remember, if you got pregnant, you and they said you had to get married. So I walked around with that shame thing. Yea, I had to get married. Of course, if I'd stayed with him, I'd be in jail. Yeah, but it was a long time ago.
Speaker 3: I get that.
Speaker 1: It's a totally different world. Yeah, And on these shows, sometimes people go on these shows so they to save their marriage. I've seen that where they're having problems. It seems like an adventure or it's something that the man kind of Kelsey Grammar and Kimille, you know, gives to her as like the Swan song, like there are these these things going on where you see at the end of her relationship. Sometimes they go on these shows. I'm not saying always, but a lot of these.
Speaker 2: Really is that true that Kelsey Grammar and his wife broke up on one of these shows.
Speaker 1: It's true that at the end of his at the end of their relationship, like when she was a new housewife, he was on he looked like he was eating nails. He was on for I think one episode, and he looked like it was torture and he and he had to be on camera, so he probably agreed. He probably did it out of guilt or something, letting her quote unquote letting her be on the show, and you know, agreeing to do it himself. And she's on the other camera talking about how she walked into her building in New York City and they didn't know who she was because they thought she was a woman he was having the affair with. So she's talking about his affair on the show, and we and everyone knows it was just like he was dragged into it because of her being on it. I mean, his actions are his own actions. I'm not saying, wow, he's faultless, but it was. It's a disaster. But a lot of times, there were all these shows. You see these people and they end up breaking up. The woman who has the new baby, who's in the kitchen, the baseball player.
Speaker 3: That we'll get into.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, they're broken up.
Speaker 1: He seems like he can't stand her, like it's literally why he's on the show. And it looks like he it seems.
Speaker 2: Like he hates her. It wasn't idea, was it. I Mean I'm watching going how do you get close enough to make that baby right, it's cold.
Speaker 1: He's a baseball player, just so you know, she's You know, this is one of those things when you sign up in a relationship for something and it was right there, but you think somehow it's going to change, Like she married a professional baseball player, and it seems like they resent the shit out of each other.
Speaker 2: Now they probably do. You know, I believe that the first thought you have about things is the real is the real answer for you? And they I think your your observances are astute.
Speaker 1: They want to drink it pretty yeah, you know, like drink it pretty great.
Speaker 2: That's a great saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: They go to this dinner. Now, the girl that is Armenian who had the doblemistectomy, she was probably only on this one season. I've never seen her since. And I want to explain to you a dynamic that I recognize because it's very It's this bait that people take when they're new on these shows. They want to come on and show everybody how much better they are than them, like, oh, like you you were invited to the party, but then you're gonna act like what you don't know why you're there, you know what I mean? Or doing getting a project and like you have, like you're better than bigger, nobody's bigger than the game. So she comes on and she thinks she's gonna be oh and two people don't talk to each other and communicate that she came on to be better than and was like shutting everything down. And I said, that's the kiss of death, Like that's the sign someone's getting fired as a housewife.
Speaker 2: I think that moment where I I was feeling such compassion for her with her double mass up to me, and then she said, nobody sees what I see, but they just see the jewelry and the hair and the face and the clothes. And I'm thinking that's kind of not a way to pull in friends.
Speaker 1: There are some people on here that really think they're bigger than the show. So she's at the dinner and Shannon just trying to connect to her and talk about her husband who and we say he said, he said, oh, it was Shannon was saying to that girl, Peggy that I got very stressed out because it was in the media that my husband beat me. Okay, I can understand, yeah, okay, I can understand her having a rough patch if people thought her husband physically abused her. Now that may be true or may not. Either way, that's not someone else.
Speaker 2: Said that, didn't she.
Speaker 1: She said to the girl Peggy, I had a rough year and I've gained, you know, forty pounds or whatever much she gained. And she didn't say my mayor just falling apart, because that probably wasn't in her mind completely yet. But she did say people were saying that my husband beats me. And the girl Peggy was like, oh, don't we do that every Friday night at my house?
Speaker 2: Will cares?
Speaker 4: Don't let it bother you. Yeah, littling her experience. Yeah, but she did say after I was just in my country. That's how we choke. But I didn't think it was funny.
Speaker 1: But she had a better then I'll say she had a better than vibe. So they go to dinner, of course. The restaurant's called The Quiet Woman, of course. And just to give you a little background, so Shannon is the wacky one we've been discussing. Two other girls are new and it doesn't I hate to say, really matter.
Speaker 2: They don't.
Speaker 1: They don't go on that long, so they're not characters are going to invest in. But the thin blonde who's like the friend who has the guinea pig. She's she's tammer. She's kind of an iconic housewife, you know, she's like good at her job as a housewife, and she's always sort of in between all all the dramatic pieces. And then the other girl who's in the bathroom with the collar over the sweater and the boobs. She's kind of a villain Kelly Dodd. But my opinion in this show is you need quote unquote characters like that, people like that, because that represents the world. Like if they start showing these synthetic groups that everybody's saying what you want politically, it's not real.
Speaker 2: Well, when I was watching it, I couldn't help but think of Larry David and Curb your Enthusiasm because because his humor is absurd, that people act absurd, right, And as I was watching it, I thought, the way you're acting right now is absurd. And have you ever seen Curb your Enthusiasm?
Speaker 3: I met every single episode?
Speaker 2: Yeah me, Well you know how it.
Speaker 1: Is, you're right, like you can't believe stusiasts and it's like you fucking more and you're right, and like that's what would happen on the show. That's such a just stute genius thing to say, because you can't believe you just saw that happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's a great character. It's amazing. Calls her husband a fat fuck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're fat fuck. Oh yeah, I love her. I love her.
Speaker 2: Even are the best characters on television.
Speaker 3: She's great.
Speaker 1: So that's in a stute observation, and I agree, it's outland. That's why I'm saying. But that's why I like, you know, I always say, and it's not it's not my original material. I don't know who I got it from. But when you love to love a character, it's great. When you love to hate a character, when it's great, great. When you hate to hate a character, you're kind of hating yourself. It's like getting dirty and like, not great, you love to hate him.
Speaker 2: I watched that show and it's wonderful and it's awful, and it's wonderful and it's awful, and I go back and forth. And we started watching it because there's so much violence and war and you know, lousy stuff on television, and we thought that's a terrible thing to go to bed with. You can't sleep when you're all in turmoil. So we started watching Curb Your Enthusiasm a year ago, and I can't wait to get in bed and watch it.
Speaker 1: It's so wait, don't tell me you haven't watched the entire season of Shit's Creek.
Speaker 2: I have, I have. Oh, I love it.
Speaker 1: My daughter and I love it. It's like I feel funny, stupid.
Speaker 2: And also it's a whole different thing. It's succession. I love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: They're doing some good things on television. But my favorite, my favorite right now is Larry David and my goal is to see all one hundred and ten episodes. Well that will happen.
Speaker 1: Well, So this is as absurd as that. And I bring this up because the character Kelly is horrible, but for some reason, when I see her, I just am entertained, Like I want to not be entertained, because she can be horrible. And she's like putting her face against the window as they're leaving, like it's absolutely terrible. But I find the woman Peggy looking down upon everybody else in.
Speaker 3: That overall experience more terrible.
Speaker 1: Like I kind of find that this woman Kelly is just it's her id like whatever she thinks, she's just saying and that's a real person. I may not like her, but that's what I find interesting because they take people off these shows and try to make them very political correct, and when they put the really politically correct groups together who would not associate with each other, it seems preachy, and it just seems awkward for the audience, Like you're gonna have a couple of crazy people. You're gonna have a couple of pieces of shit in the mix, Like you're gonna have that's what that's a reality show, that's people.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting description.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like Larry David, you love you don't even hate him. It's like he just is a disaster.
Speaker 2: We were at a restaurant one night and Jogio Baldi, Yes, and Larry David and his wife and I think a daughter walks in and they he's one of the He kind of scares me. I go up to everybody, but you never know if he's gonna say hey or yeah, And so I didn't say hello to him. And he sits right across from us, and they sit down and they don't talk, and then they order their dinner and then he pulls out a pack of cards and they start playing cards and they receive their dinner. They don't talk through the whole dinner, and when the dinner's over, he pays the bill and they get up and leave. They never talked, never, never. That's so funny. And then I thought, that's who he is, right, yeah, And.
Speaker 1: You gotta understand your person. You gotta understand your person, okay, So Kelly says, this is where you lose me. When Kelly goes a little below the belt, like making a comment about the weight, like this woman has just come clean about the fact that she weighs one hundred and seventy two pounds. And the one thing I don't like is when anyone grabs the low hanging fruit for an insult, like you don't go you gotta fight fair.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course.
Speaker 3: Oh, she says, keep.
Speaker 1: Eating, and then Shannon feels shame because that wasn't her plate.
Speaker 3: So she feels this shame and she says, keep eating. Yeah yeah, And who was your favorite character?
Speaker 2: I didn't really want to hang with any of them.
Speaker 1: That's fair, okay, all right, Well, if you don't want to hang out with any of them, there was So what was the rose and what was the thorn of the episode for me? The Rose was feeling hope that she was going to get on a journey with that guy. In some way, like I felt like there you had turned a corner. You're not gonna get on a scale and scale on television and see a number for yourself and you see your husband doing those monkey bars and all that a little like Rocky like, let's get the hold and fifth and let's get to the to the to Philadelphia and run those steps.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had a similar reaction. Okay, so that and what was your thorn? I think the one who felt better than.
Speaker 3: Peggy was your thorn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when you said what her issues were I before the show, I instantly was compassionate, but her demeanor took away that element.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: And then you feel guilty because you see that somebody's been through something and they've made themselves not likable, and that's happened before on the show. And I thought I did the Kelly comment of like keep eating. It's just so you're gonna have you're gonna throw an insult, it better be an intelligent, non character assassination or physical you know.
Speaker 2: It's a bitchy female.
Speaker 1: Yeah you don't, but you don't like it's that you don't say your ugly, your fat, your clothes, you're poor, like that's disgusting. You could come up with something that would convey your point, you know, that could be even so much more powerful. You could say, the amount of insecurity that you are projecting right now is so incredibly distracted, Like you could say something intelligent that you know, I.
Speaker 2: Think, I think what a lot of people don't understand. And if you understand this simple thing, it's much easier to survive. And that is handles, the handle being I'm so sorry that you're gaining weight. Perhaps you could try this or that or whatever whatever. I haven't had time to think about it, but I never offend anybody that I'm aware of, and that's because I always preface it with a way that they can wiggle out of it.
Speaker 1: But this person wanted to hurt the other person. So she went from yeah, I mean, you could be at somebody and give a bitchy comment, but it should not be something that's going to attack their physicality or something like that.
Speaker 5: That's just taking that's blow the belt. It's totally shitty exactly. And then I can't help but two things struck me as incredibly rich Tamra, who's gotten naked wasted on the show quote unquote, and not judging any of these people, I've been on reality television too, but to say, I'm just thinking about what Jesus would do, I'm fairly sure that Jesus would not be on the Housewives like that was. And and then juxtaposing that with the other girl praying about Jesus in the bathroom in Jesus's name and give this girl. But like we had two very I mean we were in we were in the Quiet Woman with Tamra and Kelly Dodd and Shannon and this girl praying in the bathroom Jesus doing like a toilet bowl prayer in the bathroom to Jesus. And then Tamra's like, I just think about what Jesus would do. I'm like, oh Jesus, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was cringey.
Speaker 1: I mean, Jesus on the Housewives, Like yeah, let's let's let's think about.
Speaker 2: What Jesus would do on the Housewives.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that was definitely reach Well, it was great to talk to you about something totally ridiculous, and I appreciate crime.
Speaker 2: But I watched it and was intrigued.
Speaker 1: Well, it was great talking to you. I appreciate you doing so much. Tell your husband, I said, hello.
Speaker 2: Oh what you want to see him? He n you two? What were you just making pancakes?
Speaker 4: You were?
Speaker 2: It's late, it's eleven forty two. Wow. I respect that. Well. We had to watch Real Housewives this morning. You have homework? Yeah, me too.
Speaker 3: I woke up watch this.
Speaker 2: That's what I said to you. I said, like, I have homework.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you all those women scaly. Hell.
Speaker 1: You did well. Suzann wouldn't have been a good housewife, which is very positive.
Speaker 2: Right, she's my housewife.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, She's actually a good housewife.