Speaker 1: This is Kamala Shelling and you're listening to Switched on the Bloomberg NEF podcast. In the early days of the Iran War, BNF analysts from an array of teams push forth the hypothesis that rising fossil fuel prices could be a boon for the clean tech trade. When oil and gas get expensive. Our argument went, adoption rates of electric vehicles, renewables, and other energy transition tech are likely to increase the problem was that we had little data to test that hypothesis until now. A few days ago, China dropped a new set of custom statistics, and our analysts were able to see in hard numbers just how clean tech trade has changed since February. With US Today to explain is Antoine Wagner Jones, BNF's head of Trade and Supply Chains. Our conversation is based on the analyst reaction china clean tech exports trend up amid high oil prices, as well as the brand new energy transition supply Chain's outlook twenty twenty six. BNF clients can find more from Antoin's team by heading to BNF Supply Chains, go on the Bloomberg Terminal, or at BNF Dot com. If you'd like to learn more about how BNF covers the energy transition writ large from development and commodity markets to the cross cut in technologies shaping the future, you can find out more at BNF dot com. And if you'd like to speak with a member of our team about becoming a client, email US Sales dot BNF at Bloomberg dot net. But for now, let's dive into my conversation with Antoine. Welcome back, Antoine. It's so good to have you back on the podcast.
Speaker 2: It's great to be a kamana. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So when we were preparing this conversation, I asked you what is the event that we're responding to, because usually our Analyst Reaction podcasts come after a very specific event has occurred. And you said, in this case, the event is this massive data drop out of China. And I was thinking about the fact that, you know, BNF, we are surrounded by data all the time everywhere, and even within this massive flood of data we're always in, there are some data that are just stand out from the rest. So why does this day account as an event and what is it?
Speaker 2: That's a great question, and basically it's all about Chinese customs statistics. On the third week around then of every month, China's Customs Agency releases it's specific data about imports and exports of all these different products that we track, and we've been looking very closely at a few specific products within that and those have namely been what we broadly call clean technologies, so solar modules, solar cells, electric vehicles of different types, and batteries so liftimine batteries. And what we're really trying to understand is whether or not we're seeing any change compared to the historic trend line. And one of the feces that we've got basically is that we've got the Iran War putting, you know, with all the dips and drops and all the whipsawing that we're seeing in oil and gas markets, we're still in a period of elevated prices and that's led to a lot of strain sort of being put on countries that are big fossil fuel impauses. So the idea is that basically a lot of these countries are going to start importing clean technology to try and counter the sudden inflationary pressure put on them by whether it's diesel, gasoline, imports, whether it's natural gas via liquefied natural gas LNG, and we were pretty certain that this would have an impact and we'd see an acceleration, but we weren't really able to say anything smart until we got the customs data coming in. And we had a first wave of data come in for the month of March, which was extremely interesting but maybe not conclusive. And then most recently we have the April data that's come in which has really backed up a lot of the views that we sort of developed over the last few weeks.
Speaker 1: So to clarify, we're talking about solar products, EV products and battery products that are coming out of China. Do we also know where those products are going?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely. Around fourteen billion dollars of all of these different things added together were exported from China last year. A lot of them are going going to Europe, a lot of them are going to US. Those are the two big centers for demand for clean technology still in the world outside of China, and naturally a lot of those goods are flowing to those countries. There's big caveats. China doesn't really export evs to the US for various reasons. There's basically rules that ban so called connected cars that are linked to China from being on American roads. There are very high tariffs. Historically, there've been limits on subsidies being given out or tax credits for passenger electric vehicles if there was Chinese involvement in the making of the battery or of the vehicle itself. So there's been all of these different hindrances and roadblocks, which means that ev exports to the US aren't really a thing, much more of a thing to the EU. And then when we look at batteries, a lot is going to the US because of this sudden boom that we're seeing in stationary storage, despite the fact that there are pretty high tariffs on batteries coming from China in the US and otherwise Europe is pretty well represented as well. But maybe what's very interesting too is that, i mean, historically over the last few years, every year we see an inching up of Chinese exports that are destined for emerging markets. These countries what you can define them in different ways, but you can use the World Banks classifications of everything sort of under a rich country or an upper income country, so you can look at all of these lower income middle income countries, and you can see the share that they make up of Chinese imports for all of these different clean technology goods is going upwards. And what's really interesting now when we look at this data is that we're seeing regions that are especially exposed to fossil fuel imports and gas products make up more than three percent of Vietnam and the Philippines GDP. That was the case last year. Thailand imports around two percent of its GDP in natural gas. So countries in Southeast Asia, but also countries in South Asia and countries in Sub Saharan Africa are very exposed to these kind of price pleasures from the kinds of shocks that we've been seeing as a result of the Iran War, and they've been quite well represented in this data. So if you look at the increase in exports of a lot of these goods, what we see is that Southeast Asia has grown quite quickly, and we've also seen a number of South Asian trees grow fast too. And we're going to be doing a lot more analysis over the coming weeks, specifically looking at which countries are growing fastest and which seem like they're primed to suddenly boom in terms of imports.
Speaker 1: So just to recap the data we have is we have the volume in monetary figures of exports coming out of China. We know where these exports are going, we know the relative wealth of the countries they are going to. We know how much fossil fuel imports each of these countries have. So now let's talk about actually what the April data shows, what has gone up, what has gone down, and relating it back to your hypothesis you mentioned at the beginning, which is oil price shocks, gas price shocks after the start of the Iran war is going to boost clean tech exports and imports. How is that playing out.
Speaker 2: So we have the data absolutely like you said, we have in value in dollar value. But what we also do at BNF is we convert it into the relevant figures. So there's things like evs are also reported in units, so number of cars for solar for batteries. We have an in house methodology that allows us to then convert those figures into something that's more useful when we're looking at it from an energy angle, So we can convert it to gig what hours for batteries, for example, gig what's for solar and those are the numbers that we're looking at. And when we think about April, what's really interesting is that March already was a huge boom year. So when we look at March twenty twenty six and we compare it to the previous months to February, exports of Chinese batteries increased by the order of around forty four percent, so just over that month. And then when we look at solar and we some sort of solar models and solar cells, they basically doubled. And that was a real that was incredibly interesting, and that was also far from really being conclusive in any kind of way. And why is that. That's because of the fact that when you're looking at this trade data, you can't just say, well, we're seeing high fossil fuel prices as a sudden jump in exports that must be linked. We actually have to go beyond that a bit and look at a number of other factors that could be relevant. And it just so happened that March was the last month where rebates would be available for solar exporters, so for exporters of solar products out from China, and the rebate that is given to exporters of lithiumind batteries was reduced, so that basically means less favorable terms for exporters of clean technology coming out from China. And that's part of why we saw this sudden rush to benefit from those terms while they remained available, because they were basically going to stop or be reduced or curtailed in April. So we saw a huge jump, as I mentioned in exports in March, but because of the policy context within China, we weren't able to say, okay, well, this is conclusive evidence that the Iran War is having an impact on global energy trade from the perspective of clean tech. So what we were waiting for is this month, so April, because April, if we look at the data, then you know, all things considered, we've got past this sudden lurch as a result of tax rebates or rebates for exporters being reduced or removed entirely in the case of solar, and then we can begin to make some observations that perhaps are a little bit more indicative of trends that we're seeing that are linked to the Iran war. And that's when things were quite interesting. That's when we saw something really pretty impressive where battery electric vehicle exports reached two hundred and eighty six thousand cars shipped in a single month, and that's a record since we started counting. Our trade data that we sort of published on our website goes back to twenty seventeen, so that's a historic record, like that's never before have we reached those heights. And I mean, with all the reports that we're seeing of ev uptake being sort of buoyed by the fact of that the Iran war is putting a lot of pressure up on pump prices, then that seems like there's a correlation that could be indicative of a link. And what we've also seen is a month on month game for solar cells, for LIFTIU modules and Lift your Mind batteries, not compared to the previous month, but compared to the twelvemonth average that we have sort of before the crisis, and there we see pretty substantial increases of at least ten percent or more based on against that average. And that's also at a time when solar module prices are being pushed up slightly because of the fact that there's this rebate that's collapsed and because of the fact that we're also seeing pretty high silver prices. Aluminium prices have also gone up as a result of the Iran War. So really interesting that we just when we look at historical averages, what we are seeing is a huge growth in battery electric vehicles that's visible month versus month or month. But we're also seeing this pretty impressive growth in solar exports and battery exports even after this huge boom that we saw in March. So what we're going to be doing is we're going to be looking over the coming months to see whether or not this was a sort of a blip or whether or not this is the beginning of what we think could be a step change or an accelvative effects over the shorter to mid term. And that's something that we're going to be looking at very closey and going to be publishing in the form of monthly analysis pieces, looking at not just where things are increasing and by how much and how that compares to historic volatility measures, but also we're going to be sort of looking at for looking for correlation with countries that are particularly dependent on fossil fuels. So where though fossil fuel imports make up a particularly high share of GDP, and we're going to be looking very closely to see whether or not there's a correlation there. And then that becomes very interesting to manufacturers, for example, whether there's South Korean, whether they're Chinese manufacturers, because they're right now in an environment that's marked by overcapacity. Is quite difficult to be a manufacturer and make money in a lot of these sectors. So they're really eager to try and suss out where the new growth markets are going to be. And they're really eager to understand the impacts of the Iran war and what kind of factors might be driving a rise in exports to this or that country.
Speaker 1: So you've given us a whole bunch again, a whole bunch of data points that you have to sort of navigate and bring together to try to pull apart what is coincidence in this data? You're looking at what is causality, the price of manufacturing various clean tech parts, the price of the metals that go into it. But it sounds like pretty much everything you've given us up to this point is largely economic space. So what's expensive, what's inexpensive? Where can we make money? I'm curious if you've also seen countries changing their policies in the last couple of months to try to improve clean tech uptakes. So you know our countries passing new laws to try to help people adopt electric vehicles. Are there new laws that are going to help people adopt solar and batteries or is it too early to see a response like that to the vicissitudes of the Iran war.
Speaker 2: So there's a number of trackers out there, and we're also tracking this stuff, looking at, for example, the impact of the Iran War on well, the link between the Iran War and policies that are specifically angling to reduce energy demand, whether that's fuel for the transport segment, whether that's electricity demand, to reduce the strain on the grid. And there there's dozens and dozens and dozens of countries that have introduced measures, oftentimes multiple interventions in parallel to try and make some kind of an impact and try and make some kind of a dent in demand and therefore ease of the pressure on the public purse, but also ease the pressure on the outflow and foreign exchange that we're seeing in lots of emerging markets that typically have to pay for these fossil fuel imports in hard currency. What's interesting is that we've also identified as subset of countries that are putting in place policies specifically designed to incentivize the deployment of, for example, electric vehicles. That's something that we've seen in certain Latin American countries. Is also something that we've seen in Me and Marth for example, has in place of temporary exemption for imported evs, so exempting them from tariffs. LAO has cut road taxes for evs while concurrently raising them for internal combustion engine vehicles, and then Cambodia also interesting is has introduced tariff exemptions for evs along with exemptions for for solar and for batteries. Now a lot of these are actually quite focused on EV's, which is sort of interesting because the car fleet takes a while to turn around to renew and the immediate impact of some of these policies on fuel demand is really not going to be noticeable in the and at least in the short term. But what this is really reflecting is the fact that these countries are starting to see their position as countries that are trying really hard to find hedging strategies for importing look financial gas, or trying to think about how to diversify away from oil. They've been thinking about this for a while, but now they're sort of realizing that this is becoming extremely important to focus on, especially given that nowadays you've got this incredible availability of low cost, high quality clean technology, much of which is produced in China, but much of which is also produced in other countries like Japan, South Korea. So really interesting intervention is happening. A lot of them focus on the transport segment, but a lot of the activity, and I think this is really important as well, is not government driven. It's consumer driven. And that's why we're seeing these sort of booms in imports of solar modules, for example, many of which are sort of distributed solar, many of which are behind the meter, many of which are for the residential segment, but also for commercial on industrial projects, and not so much part of a sudden jump towards increasing the amount of tendered utility scale solar projects in a given country. So a lot of this is consumer got driven, even though we're also seeing many government interventions, especially around electric vehicles and the consumer driven stuff. When it comes to batteries and solar and then you know, building more wind as well. That has much more of an a media impact on fuel burn than measures to try and over the coming year incentivize more evs on the road.
Speaker 1: That is really fascinating. So if that question is about trying to incentivize imports or maybe not, but you know the import question, the flip side then is potentially incentivizing exports. And it just so happens. We're talking about two and a half hours after your team's big Supply Chains outlook was published, and one of the big stories in there is the world has a way more manufacturing capacity for clean tech than probably demand, and China has so much manufacturing capacity. So even as we're seeing these exports rise out of China, is China putting in new laws to try to encourage exports trying to sell these products? You did mention which may belie this this they've cut this export rebate, but I'm curious, is China trying to do anything to get their clean technology into other countries?
Speaker 2: So China has been doing basically carrying out textbook industrial strategy around increasing the manufacturer and then the export of clean technologies over a decade plus and it's been incredibly consistent, and there's been all these different bumps and issues along the way, But what you've seen is is a pretty determined attempt at getting to a stage where export competitiveness is something that is really a given when it comes to China's ability to outcompete many of his other peers when it comes to liftumine batteries or solar products or increasingly electric vehicles. But what we've also seen, just like you said, is that really interestingly, we have way more in the way of manufacturing capacity for a lot of this stuff than the world theoretically needs, even for the years to come. And that's really odd because when we think about the energy transition, what we're really used to looking at in pieces like our Energy Transition Investment Trends Report. It's a big piece that we put out where we basically tally up all of the investments that are happening and we compare them to theosically what's needed to be on track of this or that climate scenario. And what you see is that most sectors are found wanting, most sectors fall short. And that's when you look at the upstream part of the equation, especially when you look at manufacturing as a segment and manufacturing capacity for all of these different sectors. That's when the picture is completely flipped and you have way more in the way of investment than we theoretically need. And that's really good news when it comes to the energy transition writ large. If the aim is to procure clean tech at low cost, then that's great. That's less good news if you're a manufacturer, because suddenly your margins are compressed and you're really struggling, and we're seeing that and move towards consolidation, and then here and there some bankruptcies and suddenly localization in regions that want to sort of capture part of this value add that want to capture some of this manufacturing are really struggling to make the case for that in a context of oversupply. So it's a bit of a double edged sword. But I would just stress that it's the energy transition. We're usually used to talking about the fact that we're not doing enough and now we need to accelerate things, all the while celebrating the fact that you know, SOLO has been over the last few years growing extremely fast et cetera et cetera. But generally speaking, the page is one where we need to do more. But when we talk about manufacturing, the picture is completely different. And it means that when we suddenly see these jumps in demand as a result of, for example, the crisis in the Persian Gulf, the response can be quite fast and exports can scale pretty quickly. Now the Chinese government is you know, sees these sectors are strategic, but it also it recognizes the fact that they aren't going to alone, you know, plug the hole that's left by the housing crisis that China has been still suffering from over the last few years. And what's worried about as well is the fact that this could be something of a bubble, and this could be a bit of a strategic risk as well if we suddenly see all these bankruptcies and sectors that are really struggling. So it's trying to sort of rain in a race towards the bottom when it comes to pricing across a lot of these different sectors, and it's also trying to dampen some of the incentives for exporting and trying to get companies to sort of wind down some of their older manufacturing facilities. Because it sees that as being you know, pretty important when it comes to these sector's health. And that's something that we've covered in lot of detail in the report our Energy our Energy Transition Supply Chains Outlook report that just came out today.
Speaker 1: And so as your final question, this is monthly data. Next month there's going to be a new set of data coming out from China. What is the one key figure that you are most excited to see.
Speaker 2: I'm interested in having a couple of months of data to now start to look for correlations between growth in imports let's say, of solar for example, and then reliance of a given country's power sector on imported fossil fuels. And that's something that we can chart in a number of different ways, and that would be really interesting because when we can start to see whether or not these relationships exist, then we can start to maybe think about having a bit more of a forward looking view. And that's something that's very valuable because in the past we've seen these sudden booms over the last few years in places like for example, Pakistan a few years ago for huge increase in imports of solo products, which really was completely unexpected, and that what we didn't have was an ability to predict that that was going to happen. And what we didn't have was an ability to say, well, why didn't that happen in Nigeria. So what we want to do is we want to do in the context of the Iran war. We want to be tracking this data and seeing how it lines up. And you know, reliance on so net fossil fuel imports versus GDP is one measure, and then there will be many other measures that we can look at too, because we collect all this data around retail power prices, on electricity demands growth, and then we also look at things like the average duration of blackouts. There's all these other factors that mean that we suddenly, you know, in being interested in seeing looking for correlations with the Iran war, we can then also begin to consider other factors and then that means that we might be able to start to be a bit more predictive in our view on clean tech trade flows.
Speaker 1: Well, Antoine, thank you so much. This has been absolutely fast.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Today's episode of Switched On was produced by cam Gray with production assistance from Kamala Shelling. Bloomberg. NEIF is a service provided by Bloomberg Finance LP and its affiliates. This recording does not constitute, nor should it be construed, as investment in vice, investment recommendations, or a recommendation as to an investment or other strategy. Bloomberg enif should not be considered as information sufficient upon which to base an investment decision. Neither Bloomberg Finance LP Nor any of its affiliates makes any representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this recording, and any liability as a result of this recording is expressly disclaimed.