Speaker 1: Hi, what can I get for you?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 1: Can I get the chocolate banana smoothie?
Speaker 3: What's that one called the Chuco fun Time Banana Rama Buzz?
Speaker 2: And what can I get for you? Yeah? I just get this one here? Sorry, I have my glasses. You're gonna have to tell me what it's called. I killed JFK. We got it.
Speaker 1: Good morning, sweet world, and welcome to the Nodunks podcast on the Athletic Network. It's Thursday, January twenty seventh. Here we are back in the Classic Factory. I'm Jay Skeets and alongside me, as always, Test mellis.
Speaker 2: What's up everybody? What's up?
Speaker 1: Tass? We got our top shot hop boy Trey Kirby. Hey oh, and finally making the magic happen over there, super producer JD. Hello, there he is, and here we are. Shout out to the stream team joining us live right now on YouTube. Subscribe like, and please if you haven't already, share the show, or, better yet, share some shorter video clips that your boys are doing up here in the Classic Factory. For example, last night we posted tk's top five NBA halftime acts of all time. We're talking Red Panda, We're talking Christian and Scooby, And I don't want to spoil the rest of the list, but great job. There are three others that you gotta go.
Speaker 2: There's only two halftime acts. It's Red Panda and Christian and Scooby, although the other ones are good. Surprisingly, surprisingly, surprisingly, I was.
Speaker 1: A by the order of the list. And again I don't want to spoil it. I want you guys to go check it. So the top five NBA halftime acts by again Traded an awesome job and JD putting that together that we posted last night, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it turned out pretty good. Honestly, seeing it full production, I think a little more cross talk really makes it sing. I love the shot from all the camera over here. Seemed like a really like a candidates shot, you know, talking about Christian's jacked arms. Basically, yeah, I think more of that in the next one. We'll really make it, you know. It seems like a produced piece, but also just like hanging out talking lists.
Speaker 1: It's like, guys do It's sort of like the classic documentary sort of move for It's like you've got three cameras on the one person talking, but you got the like, yeah, that that intense close up you got the nice foot wide shot.
Speaker 2: I just hope Scooby is gonna be okay with where he was placed on the list, as well as Christian, our friend, Christian, great guy, great arms, fantastic Arms.
Speaker 1: Who do you think will be more upset? Christian or Scooby Wow? Scooby, Well, Scooby take more.
Speaker 2: Scooby will be more upset, but he won't show it. He's a professional, all right, all right?
Speaker 1: Uh? Emailing your NBA questions too, No Dunks at the Athletic dot Com. I ask you to do that every podcasts, and there's a reason why, because you never know when we're gonna hit the beach later today we are, so send your questions in No Dunks at the Athletic dot com. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok at No Dunk Sync. Grab yourself an Athletic subscription, go to the Athletic dot com, slash No Dunks and and and some new No Dunks merch is about to drop later today. You can lock that in. You can go to No dunks dot com and get yourself a brand new shirt that we'll we'll show you on tomorrow show. Because it was it's happening as we speak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, refreshing now to see yeah, to see if it's I have to start one more email, so second second segment, it will be live.
Speaker 1: We will, we will tweet it out, we'll share it on Instagram, and we'll you know, we even have that little uh I guess community tab here on YouTube. We'll let you know what that shirt is available.
Speaker 2: Okay, check our tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, breaking breaking news. That's good.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: Okay, Let's get into last night's games. A whole lot of games on Wednesday night. Let's start with Kevin Love scoring twenty five points. The Calves hit nineteen threes as they stun the champion Milwaukee Bucks, who had their Big three playing their tasks and the Calves this is this is getting silly at this point.
Speaker 2: I gotta say it. I gotta say it right now. It's official. The Calves are back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 2: It took four years after Lebron left. There's some bad times, but like a small market team needs to do, they did it right. Kobe Altman did an incredible job rebuilding this team. Got to do it through the draft, first Garland at the five spot and then Evan Mobley at the three spot. This past draft really sealed it. They got in on a real Seleck move to get Jared Allen in that four team trade where they gave up if you remember, I had to go back and look at this. They gave up a first round pick in Dante Xent to get Jared Allen, and then you do get something undrafted guys and you just develop players. And now they've got a te that just hopped the Milwaukee Bucks in the standing yep, and this is their statement winning And this is the point where I say the Bucks or the Calves are back, because this really feels like they ain't going anywhere. And I don't think the Bucks really want to play this team in the playoffs. I know that it's a little premature. Yeah, the Calves, the Bucks just won the ship, but I think there are other teams that the Bucks would rather play. I think the Bucks would rather play the Bulls just because of their advantage at the bags, because they go get more possessions. That's how they beat the Suns last year in the playoffs. They just got more possessions because they go get rebounds. And yeah, nobody can guard Yanny's but Jared Allen's a monster. He can body him, he can play with them that you start three seven footers, they got a pretty decent matchup for Drew Holliday when they want to put Isaac Kor on. So I think, yeah, I say all that to say, hey, if the Calves can win a playoffs series, obviously it's huge. But they do need a little bit more ball handling.
Speaker 1: They need a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Ball handling because there's so much pressure on Darius Garland. They teams just get the ball out of his hands, but when they don't, he does things like double cross Drew Holiday and then drop off a no look to Evan Mobley, who's on the baseline making things work. They are just in such a harmonious thing going on, everybody working together. It looks so great out there. And four years after bron has gone, the Cleveland Cavaliers are. They're right back where they used to be, not like at the top top, you know. But as part of the conversation at the again the fact that they're third in the standings. We're nearly fifty games into this season, so this is this is legitimate. This is a real team that should be vying for a top four seed, and teams shouldn't want to play this team.
Speaker 1: You know, they've beaten every top contender in the East. I know the Athletic was writing about it this morning. They're five and four against the Heat, the Bulls, the Bucks, and the Nets. Now in some of those games, if you're you know, you're dissecting it, Yeah, they're there are key players you know, not playing in some of them. Not last night with the Bucks. But still that's pretty damn impressive. It's not just that they're getting all these wins against the subpar teams in the league. They're holding their own TK against you know, the Bucks and including your bowls and stuff like that. Are they legit in your mind?
Speaker 3: Well, I think that the road to the to the NBA Finals goes through the Central Division.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 3: You got the Bulls, you got the Calves, and you got the Bucks. Those are three good teams. I think one of the huge advantages that the Calves have is that nobody plays like them. So when you play them, yeah, you're like, whoa, you got two seven footers out there and a guy named Dean.
Speaker 1: That's crazy stuff.
Speaker 3: But what it really came down to last night is that the Bucks bench did absolutely nothing. They got to make threes, they made one. They went one for ten between de Vincenzo, Hill and Mora, whereas the Calves bench was on fire. From three six for Chetty Osmen, five for Kevin Love. Chetty Osman is suddenly back. I know that guy played in the finals with Lebron, had a terrible first half of the season. Suddenly he's turned it on here in the second half. Maybe they don't need ball handling. Playoff Rondo will exist for them, like they probably sucked for the rest of the season. Then when it's playoff time, he got him out there making plays. That being said, I think the Bucks would beat him four to one in a playoff series when it actually comes down to it and you're game planning for it every single time. That being said, if there's no brook Lopez, that's a problem for Milwaukee. That has been the biggest problem for them this season. Yeah, they had their three stars, but brook Lopez does a great job of boxing out, which would be helpful against the Cleveland Cavaliers and just taking up space, not to mention he can stretch things out. So I think when it comes down to it, you're gonna see the inexperienced show for the Cavs. That being said, making it to the playoffs playing competitively, that's gonna be huge. That's a huge season for them.
Speaker 1: Johanness didn't seem too concerned about the loss last night, showing up to the post press conference eating a bucket of chicken wings and like just basically saying, you know, we played like crap. They're awesome, They're good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he likes their chances in a series if they were to ultimate. He played the Calves, but it's a it's a good matchup in the sense for Cleveland because of their size with no Brook Lopez on Milwaukee, I think that is fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And and like Trey said, teams don't play like the Cleveland Ketterers. Teamsn't play like the Milwaukee Bucks because they have got a freaking ye at to goopo. They just go get extra possessions. But the Calves can kind of match up. There just aren't too many teams that can match up with Yany's and the Calves kind of do. But yeah, he's feeling good. I was looking at that bucket that he brought to the press conference. At first I got hungry because I had seen a photo of wings earlier, and I thought, whoa double down.
Speaker 1: I'm very you see wings, yeah, right, like being in a commercial or a PHOTOO, Like I just suddenly want those. I'm with you on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I'm not a I'm not a wing man. I gotta be honest. I don't really, I don't yearn for him. I don't, I don't. But then I see them. Yeah, but I don't think those were wings. I think that those were I think those are big pieces of chicken. Those are like fried chicken.
Speaker 1: I'm positive as wing because I found it strange.
Speaker 2: Small and hands, everything looks.
Speaker 1: I mean that was a big that was a big piece of checking out he I. I think he opened up this bucket and he had already started gnawing what appeared to be on a chicken wing, and then took another bite and then put it back in the bucket as he continued to talk. I thought it was a chicken wing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, he pulled it real. Greg Anthony, our former co worker, would always he'd eat on set right, and Yannis said that as well. But yeah, the lines from Yanni's were great. H Yeah, we played bad. Yeah, they played good. They made shots. That's what happened tonight, see you later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he doesn't care that much, but I just can't get over this Kevin Love like resurgence.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: This is nuts again. Twenty five he said, how many threes? Five threes? Yeah, that's a chicken wing, man, It was a chicken wing, guaranteed a chicken wing.
Speaker 3: You can see the bone there.
Speaker 1: That's that's exactly what I was watching this. He looked at me like, I said something about Kevin Love that made you disgust it. Yeah, I mean, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: He did hit five threes, but I was more interested in confirming that these were wings. It appears the first one he ate was a drumstick, because last night I saw the video coming across you know, the bucks tweet says he brought a bucket of wings. I saw him with the bucket.
Speaker 2: It did say that.
Speaker 3: I wasn't gonna spend thirty seconds of my own time last night seeing him take an actual wing out. But now that we're on the podcast, I'm happy to see that it's there. It's like it doesn't look very saucy though.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, he is a dry man. Dry man likes a dry rub.
Speaker 3: He likes a Cajun rub I don't blame him, but if you get eleven threes from your bench, that's pretty good. Nineteen threes on the night for the calves, Like, if you are getting all of the offensive rebounds and you're making nineteen threes, if you'll lose that game, you should be pissed.
Speaker 1: I'm fascinated to see what the conversation is on, you know, on the Twitter NBA Twitter sphere tomorrow, when the starters are announced tonight, right on TNT, we're gonna find out who the ten All Star game started. And then of course, naturally what happens is Okay, time to pick the reserves. We might do it on the Drop podcast for crying Aloud tomorrow. But yeah, how many calves are getting selected? How many will be there? I mean, with the record the way it is. You know, the Bulls obviously they're gonna have one starter, maybe too, but probably one, and then they're gonna get a second like Ezac Lylavine if the Rosan is starting and he will be Calvs same boat, you know, two for them. You know you got the nets with Obviously Kadi starting Harden will likely be selected. The Bucks being one of the better teams and the heat of course, being the better teams, they will probably be the one the two squads that will only have one All Star ultimately. But yeah, you think Garland and Jared Allen, and maybe there's some buzz for Mobley too. I think that maybe be a little far fetched.
Speaker 2: But I think they're guaranteed one. I don't see a lock for a second.
Speaker 1: You don't see a lock for a second. Helps they got one big guy in, one very very talented.
Speaker 3: Guard too, and Darius gard does feel like Darius Garland has taken Jared Allen's place to me, but maybe it's easier to make it in the front court. Yeah, there's a lot of good guards in the Eastern Conference, or at least a lot of guards who are kind of eligible for All Star considerations, So we'll see. I mean, they'll definitely get at least one, and I think Garland would be the first choice now if you're just picking purely on the player, whereas Jared Allen looked like the guy through the first quarter of the season.
Speaker 1: And I know no one really cares, but I saw some discourse on Twitter last night about Coach of the Year and whether it's bicker Staff's like sort.
Speaker 2: Of to lose.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're gonna they might surpass their win total from last year by the All Star break. The cas will it's bicker Staff. It's probably Taylor Jenkins with the Grizzlies. I think Monty Williams if the Suns have like sixty five plus wins, will you know, get a little consideration and Spolster if the Heat have the number one record in the Eastern Conference. But it feels like Bickerstaff rightfully so is the leader in the Coach of the Year race.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Skeates, No, can't get excited. No, I can't get excited about Oh okay, yeah, those two those are those are definitely the candidates for me. Let me jump back to Garland for a second. I think the players throughout the league are showing so much respect to Darius Garland and just the way they talk about him that he's getting calls from guys throughout the league telling him, hey man, you have come along such such a long way through these first few months of the season. Plus he plays for USA Basketball. I wonder if that extent that the coaches win, they make their reserve picks. I know Jared Allen is he's a monster. But Darius Garland, Yeah, I think I think he surpassed them in just the reputation that he's already got throughout the league. And I think he'll be the number one with a bullet for the Calves as far as all stars go. From those coaches, from all the other fourteen coaches, we haven't decided. Is it fourteen coaches vote for the Eastern Conference? Yeah? Not not their rest not the West doesn't vote vote for the Eastern Conference. I thought that.
Speaker 3: Was twenty nine coaches voted for the Eastern Conference, Okay, nine.
Speaker 2: For the I don't know, I thought, yeah, I'm not sure. I guess yeah, all right, all.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, you don't want to talk about Coach of the Year, but you want to talk about the ballot when it comes. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding, all right, I love procedural.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's get to our next game from last night, the Hornets set a franchise record with one hundred and fifty eight points in the road demolition of the Pacers. I like the AP report going with demolition there. Know you got the Royal rumble right around the corner. Maybe delition squad. What are they called demolition squad. What are they called demolition team? Deblition and crush well crush, Oh wow, you're right Saturday night ro rumble.
Speaker 2: I thought he used to be on Sundays it is, That's what I heard.
Speaker 3: This man knows the procedures. It's not Sunday. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Anyway, back to the Hornets. One hundred and fifty eight points, Trey, Well, what do you have to add to this?
Speaker 3: Every Hornets game feels like a pickup game, And this one was where you're playing to nine and your opponent hits four twos and a layup in six possessions and suddenly the game is over. One hundred and fifty eight points and twenty four threes for Charlotte. Which do you think is more rare? One hundred and fifty eight or more points? Are twenty four or more threes?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What is more rare? Which has happened?
Speaker 3: Which has happened more often? So which has happened less would be more rare?
Speaker 2: I'd say the twenty four to three? Oh actually because of the era, because like threes have a shorter lifespan.
Speaker 3: You know, they've been keeping track of points the whole time. Yeah, didn't have threes.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, So what I mean, yeah, twenty four more threes are rare.
Speaker 3: It's points, yeow, only nineteen times as a team scored one hundred and fifty eight or more points. Forty five times twenty four or more threes. Teams are fourteen and five when they score one hundred and fifty eight points. As you would imagine, there are a few games. There was even one game I saw from twenty nineteen that was one hundred and fifty nine to one hundred and fifty eight. Remember that that was a Wizard's game. Oh yeah, yeah, they were the pickup team back then. Yeah, like, we just play fast, nobody plays defense. Everybody shoots threes. And that's kind of what the Hornets are right now. And it's fun to watch Tanami Poppy Kelly oubre Junior dripping wet last night. Oh my god, career high thirty nine points, ten to fifteen from threes, the thirty eighth player in history to hit ten or more threes in a game. One of the most surprising. I would say, it's gotta be it's like him. Marcus Smart and Mario Chalmers to me are kind of the list of guys who hit ten threes and you're like, well, what, at least Marcus Smart you can kind of get it because like he can go for ten for ten in one game and oh, for ten in the next game. Mario Chalmers, I was like, they let him shoot ten times. That was a shocker to me. So I don't know, you make that many threes, you're gonna win a game. Kelly Ubray was the best shooter last night, but the best three was Miles Bridges, who shot on moon Ball, had to have shot at twenty feet in the air, swisched through, looked straight at Lance Stevenson hit him at the tiny guitar.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he didn't want to go full guitar because they were blowing him out. It would have been really embarrassing, but he had to give him a little laugh on the guitar. Good stuff from the Hornets.
Speaker 1: I love on an NBA night where there's a ton of games on and maybe you're not watching. I can't blame you Hornets Pacers, but you see the score and you see that Kelly Ubray has you know, nine or ten threes, and it's like I have to click over. I have to see what's going on here, So like I did chime in or tune in, excuse me to this game later on, just because like you see that the numbers. I know wob was tweeting about it too, and I started tweeting about it, like they had so many points, so there was like six minutes still to go. It's like, how many are they gonna end with?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 1: Like they let they look, I mean, as you can. They took their fot off the gas in the final couple of minutes, so I think I'd had way more than that, which is the insane part. But Kelly Obray Junior, he hit ten threes in this game. I went and checked. He had another game this year where hit nine. I had two other games where he hit seven this season, he said, four games when he hit seven or more threes. He's, uh, he can catch fire.
Speaker 2: He's coming off the bench. Yeah right, he does it off the bench, and some other rare names that have hit ten threes, specifically off the bench. There aren't many guys who've done it, he joins j R. Smith, Okay, that's understandable. Danilo Gallinari, that's surprising. And then Donielle Marshall classic, Oh yeah, as the only players ever with ten threes off the bench. Yah, Uber just comes in at fires. Yeah, so he has had those those streaky ones. He's super duper streaky. I'd say have all the names we mentioned, probably Mario Chalmers the weirdest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, weird, just weird.
Speaker 3: To imagine him shooting ten times in the game without getting yelled at.
Speaker 1: Oh how how high did Bainsy get that one game nine?
Speaker 2: I think I think hit nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, yeah, it wasn't it wasn't double digits, but it was a ton.
Speaker 2: He could be in the demolition. I think Aaron bains.
Speaker 1: Definitely put him in. You imagine he showed up to the Rumble this weekend surprise entrance.
Speaker 3: I think there's a big story on ESPN from Brian Windhorst about a tragic fall that Aaron Baines had when he was at the Olympics and how he's just now getting back to walking, which is why we haven't seen him in the NBA. Only saw the headline. Gonna check it out afterwards.
Speaker 2: But Baines talk, all right, maybe he'll be there on Saturday night. It is Saturday.
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: What are they trying to capitalize on the M M a fan base or what.
Speaker 3: Do they They don't want to go against football.
Speaker 2: Probably, yeah, I guess that's.
Speaker 1: That's like, yeah, I guess the football wouldn't be over by the time it starts. That's true.
Speaker 3: It doesn't want to go against.
Speaker 2: No, no, it doesn't happen every year though they play football like every year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, our light issues? What's the undertaker? Okay, next game here? Well, JD like literally just rips this light down. Duncan Robinson scores twenty five to lead the Heat to the one ten ninety six win over the next I'll get a start with this one because on Tuesday, you guys might remember I struggled to find a top trade candidate for the Miami Heat. You know, we went through every single team. We did that on Tuesday in the East. On Wednesday show, we did the West. But I got to the Miami Heat. I was like, I don't know who they would look to move, and the best I came up with. I ultimately decided on on kz Akpala because you know, open up a little more room below the tax And then I threw Duncan Robinson's name, and you guys wisely were like, I don't I don't really know, Like sure, maybe teams would be interested in them, but they don't. They're probably not going to look to move him. You even said tasks like he started the season terribly. He could not hit a shot, and that's what he's out there to do. But he's gotten going recently and continued last night. Like I said seven to eleven from three, he's sixteen to twenty nine and I added that up correct, it might be even better than that over the last three games. So he is shooting forty four percent from three in twenty twenty two. So here in January over a ten game stretch, My, he's eight and two over that stretch. You know, he started half of those games. Their only losses were to Philly and then they lost that two point game to the Hawks are right there, So he's not going anywhere, I guess, is my point. And wow, what a luxury for the heat when you can have like is it Duncan Robinson's Night Tonight or is it Tyler Heroes Night Tonight? Or hell both of them where they're just on fire and open up some room there for Bam who was a hell of a playmaker last night. And then the lanes are there for Jimmy to attack, attack, attack. This Heat team is awesome. They're top three offensively, top seven defensively, and Lowry's not even playing and all the deeple at some point's gonna come back. They're damn good. Do you believe in them?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I think they are with the Bulls as the next tier to the Bucks and the Nets. Yeah. I think they should be disappointed if they're not in the Eastern Conference finals. They should be. They're good. How do they keep doing it? I don't know. They just forced guys like Mario Chalmers. Gabe Vincent is the new Mario Chalmers. Gabe Vincent used to be a score. But on this team, you've got a role, and Eric Spolsher gets everybody to buy in, and they are buying in fully one hundred percent. Yes, they are definitely one of those teams are Yeah, they belong there because of all the rankings that the numbers say it, the eye test says it, and how many.
Speaker 1: Games have Lowry, Butler and Bam even played in together.
Speaker 3: Fourteen or something, wow?
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, they are damn good. Now helped out that they're playing the next last night, the Knicks suck they really do. They're bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have terrible starters. All of their starters are very slow. Yeah, that's basically what it comes from. Over r J. Barrett can run fast, he's good, and that's the only guy that can run fast from their starters.
Speaker 1: So you know, they get blown out of the.
Speaker 3: First quarter every single night, and then they're playing from behind, and they're relying on Julius Randall, who had the greatest contract year in history. I'm convinced he went from bad contract to all NBA player to bad contract before his contract even started. His extension still hasn't kicked in yet, so I don't know what the Knicks are gonna do. They need to change the starting lineup, but what are they gonna do? I mean, Topping should probably start since he's an athlete. Fournier and Kemba Walker, I don't know. They should just go full youth, honestly, they should start quickly and Grimes and Topping and Barrett and Randall and then Robinson or Noel depending on who is healthy. And at least try and be fast because you can't play a slow game against the heat. The heat are good at slow games, and the Knicks just have to play slow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they move too much that the heat do for the Knicks to be able to keep up. It's it's never been seen before. I don't think to see every like almost game in and game out, starters come on and then the stats at the end of the game are like minus twenty twenty five for all of them, and then then and then the youthful bench is able to pick them up. And you know, maybe we shouldn't have ripped Alfred Peyton and Reggie Bullock so hard last year, you know, especially Elford Payton, but they were able to at least hold the Ford on this team. Well, yeah, Randall went off and then yeah, I still think the playoffs affected him greatly. But the two weeks here are what I'm I'm thinking about. Two weeks before the trade had life, the Knicks have, you know, some of the youth that you talked about there to entice teams topping and grimes and quickly. And then they still have a lot of picks. They have all their own picks. They have the mas pick that they got for Porzengis. They did give one up for cam Reddish, but they can package maybe some of that youth to get a better player. Julius Randall needs to be a number two, and then if our Jay's a number three, I don't know if they can entice somebody. But you start getting those New York vibes, right, Maybe a superstar wants to come there so well via trade?
Speaker 3: Hilarious, hilarious. One of the Knicks ever gotten a superstar?
Speaker 2: Amaris Stenmeyer was kind of a.
Speaker 1: Ah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: It was like a third choice that years to be that. The plan now for the next ones again is well, we just gotta gotta trade our young guys and see if we can get another star in here. It's it's tough out there for the Knicks, like Tom Thibodeau is saying in the press postgame press conference, can't keep starting from behind like this. Then switch it up, literally, who's in charge of who's starting out there?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Put something out something else, like Derek Rose cannot be your most important player in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Their schedule it's really interesting coming up here too. They visit Milwaukee on Friday, then they host the Kings. Okay, maybe you're hoping for a win there and the Grizzlies. Then they go on a five game road trip the next two Lakers, Jazz, Nuggets, Warriors, Blazers, so they've got that to go through, and then they host the Thunder and the Nets there at MSG prior to the All Star Break. I mean, that's maybe maybe three wins. Uh, it's bad. And we're gonna show you the Eastern Conference standings in a second here, But yeah, Knicks fans are very pissed off with some of their players, you know, mainly Randall uh and then and their coach what is doing here and refusing to play Obi top and give him start minutes and switch it up here a little bit. He's just like he's a little too stuck in like these we'll just we'll just roll with their boys. And you know that's obviously a Bulls fan with him coaching there. I can't believe it fell off in one year though. That's the crazy Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess that's sort of what happened with the timber Wolves as well. They went to the playoffs and then the next year Jimmy.
Speaker 2: Butler was just out.
Speaker 3: I thought that was more of like a Jimmy Butler issue rather than necessarily a TIBs issue. But I don't know, like the are the Knicks going to be trying to trade Julius Randall at the trade deadline and his contract hasn't even started yet. Probably, Like I think they would be excited if they could find somebody to take Randall, but I don't think anybody's really interested right now. That being so, he's probably gonna be fine when he plays away from New York again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just has not climatized himself to the New York pressure. I don't think to pressure that will drip drip, drip, drip drip.
Speaker 1: So what do you ever mean? Like, what once expectation.
Speaker 2: Til you just go whoa?
Speaker 3: He hasn't seen in canto yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean but you've seen You've seen the incanto, the meme, everybody loving it, everybody's singing it. You've seen the Instagram so people.
Speaker 3: I haven't actually seen the pressure, the pressure memes. I've only seen Carlos Santana's slash Bruno memes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bruno is the hot one. Bruna is the hot one. It's not so much the pressure memes. It's just people just singing that that that's part of another song. But I just adults are singing in canto on social media.
Speaker 1: It's definitely true. A good movie. Yes, okay, yes, it's.
Speaker 2: A good movie for sure.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I want to know, though, why so what's going on with Randall? Where he sucks this year but was fine last year because there was no expectations as a part of it. You mean, he does just look everything looks like a second slow this year with him, and I don't know now what the loss is piling up and the booze and the pressure. Yeahs being the max sort of guy. It's not a max max contract, but it's obviously a hell of a contract that now he can't handle that.
Speaker 2: The playoffs changed the man. But what playoffs got to him? Some people just can't handle playoff pressure.
Speaker 1: Right But we're not playing playoff games right now.
Speaker 2: Well, it's changed him, I think, I think, yeah, talk it out here yet. Well, I don't think there's another explanation. It's just not clear minded. He's not feeling good anymore. He's not feeling as great as he did last year when there was no expectations as a number one guy. That's why you need somebody in there.
Speaker 1: You need a solid point guard to lead this.
Speaker 2: Team, somebody, somebody really good.
Speaker 1: The other East results. Let's get to them. Yes, just the Eastern Conference sort of wins here. DeRozan powers the Bulls to the one to eleven one oh five win or the Toronto Raptors. It was a no dunk's battle last night. Bogdanovic and Okongwu lead the surging Hawks earn a bit of a run here past the Kings one twenty one one four, and Jokic and Rivers teamed up to help the Nuggets beat the Nets, the Brooklyn Nets. I put them in here for a reason, j D. I think you have it the Eastern Conference standings as Trey. Maybe you want to touch on either that Bulls victory or anything else, but I thought this was just worth showing everyone because we haven't done this in a while. Like, just take a look at the standings where you know, there's some some separation markers between just sort of lumps of teams, and man, are they lumps.
Speaker 3: I'll see your skeets checking out our lumps. Uh yeah, sorry to my friends, but you guys got boots last night. I know skeets, you thought that comeback was going to happen for the Raptor.
Speaker 1: Hold on, hold on, comeback? Did happen they took the lead.
Speaker 3: Oh not at the end of the game though, right, No, yeah, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: You didn't say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, we're counting comebacks when you just get close.
Speaker 1: No gunting comebacks when you're down nineteen and then you take the lead. Then, so there is a Bulls comeback victory don one. According to ESPN Stats and Info, probably.
Speaker 3: Is nonetheless a huge game for all of the Bulls Big three seventeen fifteen, eight assists for Vucci dribbled in to that dagger three with the Bulls up three fourteen seconds left. That was the dagger. He was pumped. That was cool to see for him. DeRozan twenty nine, seven and seven, Levine twenty three, eight and eight. But if you ask me, the game ball goes to Javonte Green because the Bulls were a big time at half seventeen points, got out to nineteen in the third quarter. The Reps just couldn't get a stop in the first half, went into switch O mode in the second half and completely threw the balls out of rhythm. It would take him like ten seconds just to get the ball up court and start their possession. And then at that point I was like, Okay, now we're trying to get a shot off over some guy who's six foot nine. There was a lot of standing and watching for the Bulls. So Kobe White eventually went out. Javonte Green checks in with four nineteen left, it's a one point game. He immediately gets a dunk on a back cut. He immediately draws a file by being aggressive inside, and then he had that great defense on Siakam when he was going to the hoop with about thirty seconds left, force to miss, which led to the Vucci three. He's such an important player for the Bulls. I've talked about it. When they were really struggling defensively, they had no athleticism out There was like Vien was out, Caruso was obviously out, Lonzo's out, Javonte Green's out, Derek Jones Junior, all their guys who live in the passing lanes were gone. So having him back, actually not needing the ball, not just waiting to shoot threes and going to the hoop and kind of playing downhill that was big time. So fun game. Uh looked like it was going to be a blowout, but it was fun in the second half, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Raps couldn't execute there down the stretch, just couldn't find the right shots without Fred van Vliet out there. And I don't think anybody loves Vucci more than Demarta Rosen. Vouch hit that shot and not much of a celebration from the bullser but just sat down, kind of more of a relief.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Raps came back and we took care of business. But Tomorrow went over there and gave him a sit down. Hug Vouch is sitting down and DeMar sirty to give him one of.
Speaker 1: Those I always want to beat your old team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Tomorrow was has always spoke glowingly of Vouch, respect respected his game in Orlando, and they get it done together. Yeah, it's it's a team still that is, yeah, getting through the rough waters there of nobody around, and these are the wins that they need to have at home without the Rep's best player out there and Fred. So that was a good win for them. I watched the Nets and the Nuggets game just because it was almost like a Nets game that they had to win. Obviously, Harden sits down where his hamstring is not one hundred percent, But those are the types of these are the types of games that they should try and win if they're gonna climb in the Eastern Conference standings themselves. And it's worrisome that James Harden has a hamstring injury at this point of the season because Katie ain't there and Kyrie Irving isn't there right now, So this is going to be a weird This is just gonna be an odd stretch of games. Now. That was a makeup game, so that was probably a sit on the schedule for James Harden just to get some rest already. But I will say Kevin Durant I don't think is out of the MVP race. Steve nash Well, he says Kevin Durant will be reevaluated in the next week. So that's way earlier than we've been thinking. Because when he said there was the Yahu report that Durance out through the All Star break, he said, we'll see, we'll see about that. We'll see about that. Alex Schiffer. So Alex Schiffer, thanks for that report. But I don't think. I don't think we like to overreact. This team's out of this guy's out of the MVP race. I don't think Katie is out of it. He's not out of it.
Speaker 1: JD. Could you throw up the Eastern Conference standings just quickly one more time? I think it's worth taking another look, because yeah, right now, the Heat holding off the Bulls who are right on their heels, and the Calves are there, so are the Nets, so are the Bucks, and so are the Sixers. And then there's like a little bit of gap there, you know, that that difference between the sixth and the seventh seed, which is the Hornets. But it's like the Hornet Celtics, Raptors, let's say, Wizards, Nicks on the Hawks. Yeah, and then you know there's three shitty teams in the league in the Eastern Conference, I should say, in the Pacers, Pistons and Magic, so they're out of it. So yeah, it's what is that six six teams playing for ultimately the final two spots in the Eastern Conference standings. It'll be a I don't know, it's gonna be a bit of a bit of a fight here with the Hawks coming on and the Knicks obviously falling off. They don't want to join those those bottom bottom dwellers.
Speaker 2: You guys believe in the Hawks winning five in a row, looking kind of kind of too.
Speaker 3: It really feels like they just hated cam Reddit because they're having a ton of fun. Danilo Gallinari threw down a row verse. Yeah, last night they had the big alley oop to a Congo who was getting trash talked by his teammates. Pre game, Lou Williams threw down a dunk. He said, I'm not practicing today because I dunked during the game. I don't need to practice fair. Yeah, so, yeah, the vibes have changed. Yeah, the vibes of one changed. And maybe it was just shipping out the one guy who wanted to shoot every time and not play defense.
Speaker 1: He got his shots last night too. Yeah, right, case of crowd. He's like, I'm in, finally, I'm in, give me the ball.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: It was six shots in ten minutes.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 1: So okay, let's jump to some of the Western Conference teams. Will start with Devin Booker leading the Suns past the Jazz one oh five ninety seven. Sons have won eight straight. We had Luca getting a triple double to help Dallas down Portland one thirty two to one to twelve. John Morant special again. I think he had forty one. In the end, Grizzlies beat the Spurs one eighteen one ten and the Clippers they rallied for the second straight night the top the Magic one to eleven one O two and I'm poking for back. I brought up the ESPN Stats and Info tweet because it was like, oh, these Clippers have done it again. They were down fourteen points in like early second quarter. Tray says it all the time, first afletes, they don't they're not real, they don't really count. And it's and I know Schumann has numbers that like say, well, of course it matters. You get a big lead, you're more likely to win the game, But so many times that lead is down to what three or if not gone in the second half. Anyway, I thought it was funny that they were pushing that Clippers come back and they got the victory in the end, but the Suns tapped. Yes, you know, I made it. The question for today's show was how realistic is a Sun's heat NBA Finals? Like can you can you see that at But yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think there's a doubt that that could be a finals. Yeah, the heat are real, The Suns are real. You know if you like doing those types of wagers where you make both teams as part of the NBA Finals, that's probably bet It's a juicy one. Yeah, yeah, nobody likes betting on the Suns for some reason. Everybody likes betting on the Warriors in the West and the Heat, yes, or below people's minds, below the nets and below the bucks. So sure, yeah, let's.
Speaker 1: Throw up the Western conference standings, JD. Because the Suns still don't have double digit losses, which is pretty amazing. Like they are on pace. This is like a sixty five win season here, and they just look like a juggernaut. They're three and a half games clear of the Warriors in second, Grizzlies a little bit back from them, the Jazz of just like you know, with missing half of their guys, have fallen quite drastically down to fourth with the MAVs and the Nuggets right there, Trey, look at this crop.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe they're goosing those Suns numbers thirty eight and nine. I mean, they're obviously they're the favorite right now, and I don't see how you can be against it. It feels like deja vu every time you read an AP report about a Phoenix Suns game, Devin book over. Devin Booker carried the Suns for three quarters, Chris Paul shut the door in the fourth quarter. Yeah, that's exactly what happened. I know Booker scored there at the end, but didn't take a shot until about four minutes left in the fourth.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter. It works perfectly.
Speaker 3: They said it took us a little bit to figure it out, and that's definitely true because at the beginning of last season. I remember we were talking all the time. It was a little bit too much of your turn, my turn, your turn, my turn? Am I taken over? Are you taking over? They seem to have found what's working for him, so, I mean, you know, of what, fifty five sixty percent of the way through the season gotta be the Suns. As for the Eastern Conference, it feels a lot more open to me. Yeah, because the Warriors they're really struggling right now.
Speaker 1: It's so funny you tweeted that about Devin Booker leads the Sons for the first three quarters and Chris Paul takes over the fourth. I thought the exact same thing. I was actually going to tweet the exact same thing. Is like it is like groundhog Day with the Suns. It feels like it every time. And now Booker will have like a stinker of a game every once in a while. But of course he can do like this forty three point performance, have an awesome three quarters. He really is like the He's like this team if they're a baseball team. He goes like, all right, it gives you a good seven or eight innings. And then Chris Paul is the closer. He's like the Dennis Eckersley. Is that a guy anymore? That guy mustache? Oh great sash? Yeah, but the dominant closer these days? Yeah, who is it?
Speaker 2: Tests you like baseball, there's there's there's there's one. I don't know his.
Speaker 1: Name, okay, but you know, people.
Speaker 2: Don't believe in relief pitchers like they used to back in miney. What do you mean, wow, relief pachers. Relief pitchers are a diamond, doesn't well, because we're going longer, people understand that starters shouldn't go as.
Speaker 1: Well, right, yes, yes, yes, yes, I mean.
Speaker 2: It's unfortunate guys going for a perfect game through five or six and.
Speaker 1: He gets disgusting.
Speaker 2: Don't want to see him three times through the lineup. I get it, I get it, but come on, bring us back to the old guy. If a guy's got a no hitter, I'm sick of this.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't be able to come out.
Speaker 2: Multi multi pitcher, no hitter. I hate it. I hate it. And so there are a lot of Dennis Eckers out there. You need a new closer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you don't give me one.
Speaker 2: Well I don't. You've got a computer, go with her, Go local.
Speaker 3: Go Tyler Matsik he wasn't really the Braves closer. He was their setup guy. But this guy was lights out in the series.
Speaker 1: You were watching the guest I don't really get I could never pick him out of the lineup though.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: What about the millennium closer, Will Smith. Yeah, there's two Will Smith in baseball, that's right. They faced each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, former Braves closer led the league in saves this season.
Speaker 1: How many? It's not a lot anymore? Thirty nine?
Speaker 3: I mean, is Bobby Thigpen he had a fifty seven time. I don't know if Eric Gane ever talked. Yeah, Mark Milansen, though Mark Melanson was the leader in saves this season.
Speaker 2: Are you sure he's not a goalie saving things as a goalie. That sounds like a French Canadian goalie who got mark my hey, he got into it with the police officer Atlanta Parade.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm getting better with my my timely baseball references with Eckersley. I I used to always say Tom Hanky.
Speaker 2: Is older than Tom Hanky. I mean they're basically Tom.
Speaker 1: Hanky looked like he was seven years old he was playing. Those are the good old days with closers. Were closers right when a baseball player could wear glasses.
Speaker 3: I just know if there's a baseball player that wears glasses currently, there's God, it's.
Speaker 2: Gotta be some cool goggles of Yeah, goggles are too cool now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, anyway, we believe in a Sun's Heat final, Yeah, I mean it could definitely happen. I love, I would love. I'm gonna be doing some some uh some a deep dive on bet MGM and try and find what type of odgy you can get on that. You know, I'd put a little coin on that.
Speaker 3: What about the Bucks? You're big on the Bucks. Yeah, it's probably a Buck Suns final. Yeah, they need brook Low puts back. I don't believe in the Bucks until I see more on the no.
Speaker 1: Offense, no offense, no offense. I'm taking no fence, any anything else tasks from the Western Conference standings or any of those games that I did sort of fly through there with the Suns winning, the Mavericks winning, the Grizzlies winning, and the Clippers.
Speaker 2: Well, I was a Clippers fan at the beginning of the season to have a big run in the Western Conference. The fact that they're staying afloat with out Paul George and kwhile entered these two huge come from behind victories, including the Orlando Magic fourteen point comeback last night. They're twenty five and twenty five. They're still around, They're still there, they won't drop out, are not going anywhere. And the other thing is.
Speaker 3: Sorry, man, I got I got tangled up in my chair with these cords.
Speaker 1: I got too many chords on me right now.
Speaker 2: Like that when you did the no offense, you got you got jangled in cords no offense, but you got too many cords.
Speaker 1: I do. I'm taking a little offense.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tap out here while you talk about the Western Cords.
Speaker 2: Take care of that, Rob Cordrey. I will take care of the Memphis Grizzlies. One thing about John Morant. We talked about the Rising Stars Challenge, the tweaks to Friday Night as geeks are, you know, looking forward to Friday Night? For once, John Morant can bless us with the skills challenged participation.
Speaker 1: Why the skills challenge.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's the worst part of Saturday Night.
Speaker 1: He's gonna bless us. I'm going in it is winning it.
Speaker 2: Well going Is there a cooler player on the dribble this year, the.
Speaker 1: Coolest player in the league, and put him in the least cool event of all time and even see if he can save it.
Speaker 2: I guess, well, no one else can say that he's gonna be. He's gonna be in the All Star Game. They're gonna force the skills challenge on us. There's a there's a sponsor. I don't know if it's Taco Bell or Taco Bell. Yeah, maybe it's Mountain Dew doing the do I guess that's a three ball competition because there's a Mountain Dew spot out there. But he's gonna he'll go behind the back end the skills challenge sets. He'll let the ball go in front of him. He'll have his back to the bucket and hit the layup. That way, he'll.
Speaker 1: Be the only John can save the skills.
Speaker 2: You want to see Patrick Beverley again or do you want to see you're gonna be watching it? I want to be watching it.
Speaker 1: Of course. We did two shows once on Horse, two podcasts we did on Horse.
Speaker 3: Damn Dark Times.
Speaker 1: We knew every nooking cranny of Mike con We were looking at the mural for crying out. No, okay, John mort save us. I thought you were John Morett going the dawnk contest man Dunk sources see he's still He has said he's not going in, so he probably is not. You're right, but come on, that's what we need, John Morant. Obi topping apparently is going to go back in it. Remember he was in it last year, but that last years dunk cons didn't count those poor guys having a dunk in front of nobody. That's rough. So the word is that Obi toppin is going to run it back. So hopefully they'll put on a.
Speaker 2: Show for us.
Speaker 1: Okay, anything else about the Western Conference, but it is.
Speaker 3: It is the Taco Bell Skills Challenge. They still got it. Locked down.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Well, in a couple of weeks we'll find out the participants in all of those events.
Speaker 2: The dunk a Ruse dunk contest has to happen. We had dunk a ruse as a little as the dessert in one of our ads a couple of days ago. So I'm still thinking about dunk a ruse. That's true, a ruse. It's like a chicken wing. I couldn't. I forget about it for years and then oh yeah those exist. Then I'll forget about it again until they go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 3: AT and T sponsors the slam dunk contest. Mountain Dew sponsors the three point contact words. It's backwards, yeah, call in long distance. That's AT and T. They I think they used to the mountain though it's Mountain Dew. Yeah. Maybe they just wanted to change.
Speaker 1: AT and T at one point did the three point contest. But you're right now they do the dunk stupid.
Speaker 2: But there's the code red. You're going to shoot this ball from far away Mountain Dew code red.
Speaker 1: What that's still a thing. It was, for sure. I thought they got rid of those extra spots though, those long balls. It's all about the Clorox clutch Challenge. Yeah, big clutch heads. All right, we'll take our first break. We definitely need one here in the Classic Factory. When we come back, though, we're going to hit the beach to answer a few of your questions. Don't go anywhere, all right, back with No Dunks in the Classic Factory. I sent that email I needed to send. Okay, so hopefully that new T shirt will be up available for sale in mere hours Okay, say minutes, but you know, you never know if somebody's out for lunch.
Speaker 2: Did you send an email to get a nomination for a Grammy for that grammarly ad right there?
Speaker 1: No, we should. Yeah, that's what I'm saying, we should. It's a great ad read.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the best collaboration, best best third ad collaboration and podcast freakin history awesomely.
Speaker 1: Uh So, go to No Dunks dot com later today for what I think you'll really appreciate this. I think you really appreciate this shirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put up that shirt is older Dennis Ackersley or Tom Hanky or Dwyane Wardo.
Speaker 1: That's they're not not the fabric of the shirt, but the design, the idea. Let's hit the beach A little beach. Step in because it's the only place to read your emails and tweets. Sent them in No dunks at the Athletic Dot tweet him in at No dunk Sinc.
Speaker 3: That's I n C.
Speaker 1: At the end you can leave him in the YouTube comments below. First one, Hey guys, I recently saw a tweet stating that Devin Booker had thirteen thirty plus point games this season, probably fourteen now after going for forty three last night. The only other son to join him on that list with one, Frank Kaminski.
Speaker 2: Surprising, surprising.
Speaker 1: I thought that was crazy, which leads me to my question, what other crazy stats can you think of where a random player joins an elite group of players for a specific accomplishment. That's from Aaron C. Do anybody fact check him on this?
Speaker 2: It's correct that that's amazing.
Speaker 1: It is so Booker has now fourteen games of thirty plus points.
Speaker 2: No one else has a thirty.
Speaker 1: Chris doesn't have one. And Kaminski, Frank, that's.
Speaker 2: Chris Paul's high as twenty seven this year.
Speaker 1: Oh the other night. Yeah, okay, so do you have a I thought this was a very difficult question. An answer to this, what other crazy stats can you think of where a random player joins in a leade group of players for a specific calash.
Speaker 2: I veered a little bit, just a little bit, because I went to for an all time accomplishment. Scott Skiles has the all time w record for most assists in a game with thirty. Scott Skyles is no John Stockton, maybe Lee. If Lee was here, he'd say Scott Skiles is better than John Stockton. Not even he would say that. But Scott Skiles has fewer assists than Kirk Heinrich in his career. Scott Sgous fewer assists than Jared Jack in his career. Wow, Kemba Walker has one more assist than Scott Skiles had in his career, which is really weird. But Scott Skyles is one hundred and thirtieth all time and it's just odd that he has the record for thirty assists.
Speaker 1: Crazy.
Speaker 2: That's a good one, yeah, And it brings us a little connection to last night's game. The Hornets scored one hundred and fifty eight. Scott Skyles had thirty assists when the Magic scored one hundred and fifty five points in nineteen ninety so for thirty plus years he's been holding that mark and no one's really come close.
Speaker 1: Now, what's the closest.
Speaker 2: Kevin Porter? Not Kevin Porter's junior's dad had twenty nine points or twenty nine assists a long time ago. He's second all time. And then Stockton is in a three way tie with Koozzi and Guy Rodgers who did it way back, way back, way back. But Stockton is the guy up on this list that's most recent. Nobody has had wow from in my eyes here more than twenty four, So twenty five or over since nineteen ninety three or something.
Speaker 3: I got Rondo twenty five and twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: Okay, and there you go. That's the one. Yeah, that's the one. Twenty five is the highest. Nice Yeah, NBA single game assists leader, Skyles Porter, Coozy, Roger Stockton, Houston Stockton, Stockton, Di Gregorio, and Kevin Porter. Four time assists leader Kevin Porter. But that's that's a shocker to me. I guess you gotta.
Speaker 1: Score a lott of.
Speaker 2: Points and one guy has to be the assist man. And it helps to go back to a traditional point guard as well, like LaMelo shoots a lot and we'll get the out of his hands a lot. Like Skyles didn't shoot, you know, as much or so he just he just dished. That's why Stockton's up there as well. To get to that thirty mark, it's gonna be tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need your teammates to just be hitting every single shot they take. You're just like here, you need to do like, yeah, just pass it to Kelly Ubrey last night, he's gonna hit three every single time. You need a couple guys to be doing that to get over twenty five. Yeah, thirty, Well, it's pretty amazing. It's not been eclipsed in that one yet. With the points that teams get up now in today's game, it as well.
Speaker 2: Ryno kind of makes sense because he's just a disher. Yep, yep, So twenty five that sort of makes sense. But yeah, you gotta you gotta have a huge scoring night.
Speaker 1: What about you trade? You have another answer to this.
Speaker 3: I'm just checking in here to see, like how many teams even average thirty assists per game. I know that's pretty rare. Yeah, twenty seven point eight assists per game is the leader the santan Tonio Spurs. This could be the Joe DiMaggio record never broken. I wonder I wonderful we'll ever see a thirty one assist game for me. Though his name got mentioned earlier in the show, Donielle Marshall being one of the all time single game three point record holder for years. He's a thirty five percent career three point shooter. Took to a game, but that one year four to oh five his career best percentage forty one point six. That's his career best when he was actually like a rotation player. He had some small minute success as well, but very weird to see Donielle Marshall up there alongside Kobe Bryant. Kobe did it in two thousand and three, Donielle Marshall tied him with twelve in two thousand and five, and then they held that record together until Steph Curry in twenty sixteen he hit twelve to tie him, finally broken by Klay Thompson fourteen and twenty eighteen. But like the top five for single game threes, Kobe, Steph Clay, Zach Lavine, and Danielle Marshall, I mean Zach Lavine, at least he's a forty percent three point shooter it's very weird to see Donielle Marshall up there.
Speaker 2: I was right when Lang Whittaker, Man, Lang Whittaker compared Donielle Marshall to Scottie Barnes. When I was upset about that, Right, I was right to be upset, is what I'm saying about that language. To make comparison of Doniel Marshall to Scottie Barnes.
Speaker 3: You think that's you think Scottie Barnes is going to be better than Donnelle Marshall in the NBA.
Speaker 2: Yet his Lang's response was, Doniel Marshall was great at Ucon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a good college player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some hope here for Scottie Barnes' career to be better than Donielle Marshall.
Speaker 1: I hope so right, Yeah, I think his ceiling is a little higher. But Donie Marshall had.
Speaker 2: A good career. He had a good career. Yeah, all right, next one, no answer for that one? Yeah, okay, some fellas, Despite the constant discussion of a Ben Simmons trade, no one seems to even be considering that he could be improving his jump shot while training for his inevitable return to the court. It appears the world has given up on the idea of Simmons getting better at shooting. What's something you've given up on the idea of getting better at That's from Nick j in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: So, well, what do you think the odds are Ben Simmons got a jump shot when he does return to the NBA, that'd be amazing. Twist of that just suddenly a fort point shooter, that would be unreal. I think the odds are low though. To answer the question, well, you guys know, and I think I've said it on the podcast couple of times. This is uh. This year, I've started helping my buddy Grish, your buddy Grish, our buddy Grish coach youth basketball. First time I've ever done it. Yeah, so I'm like the assistant coach helping out six year olds. So it's pandemonium out there. Team's getting better though, We've seen some improvements from week to week, but at a certain point with kids that age, you sort of just like have to stop thinking they're ever going to like get back on defense, not all go to the ball. We got some pretty aggressive some defenders on our team. Some we got called for a couple of fouls because they're just like guys. You can't hack at them like they think it's football at times a little bit. So at a certain point you're like, all right, it is what it is as long as they're having fun and nobody's getting hurt. But you know, we're really trying to like, okay, come on here, like you forget. Like at least it was difficult for me. It's like it feels like we're like we're almost like coaching the high school kids and we're like, wait, we're not. These are six year old. It's like what are we trying to do here? So just like we're trying right now to instill one pass because everybody just wants to shoot, and that's sad. We've had some success with one pass. Some kids get it, some kids don't. But the defense, you know, we were like talking about it. Are we doing man? Are we doing zone? What are we running out here? It's like nothing. Just all our defense now is when they miss a shot, just get the ball. That's defense, box out drills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why don't kids get one pass? They should? They should understand some of them do.
Speaker 1: Some of them do. But I think the main thing is we're trying to tell them when you pass the ball, that doesn't mean you're not going to get it back. But in their head, it's like, well, soon as the balls out of my hands, it's never getting back to me. It's like they're playing with a bunch of cam reddishes out there, but you're like, no, you can get the ball back to you. So I think that's the issue.
Speaker 3: Kid's notoriously good at sharing. Yeah, yeah, it might be why they don't want to pass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but shooting is hard. I bet I bet their shots are passes because they're not even hitting the rim. I'm sure, like six year old, Yeah, how high are how are these rims?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: Low?
Speaker 1: They're like seven and a half fet high? Yeah, they got guys dunking out there. No, no, no. So that's to me, it's like at a certain point, you just had to do it. Okay, we're not gonna that will not be taught to them at this age, and that's fine. Who cares, right, And it's defense, Trey. We shouldn't even be teaching them defense anyway.
Speaker 3: Why would you want to teach a kid defense?
Speaker 1: What a waste?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're never going to use it. It's like math, you got to learn it. They tell you you're going to use it in the future, but you will. Nope, you don't have to. You can get by without it. They put every number you ever need on the internet.
Speaker 1: What what do you have for this? I'm never going to.
Speaker 3: Practice spike ball. I would love to be better at spike ball. I would love to be able to do like chest bumps. You see the highlights you see like really like they'll be running super far back, have a beautifully touched shot back to somebody. But I'm never going to spend my time learning how to play spike ball. It's just going to be like, oh, we're playing spike ball this weekend. Great, I'll be there starting from square one again.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it'll be great. Many times I'll just be laughing and looking like a fool out there. Maybe one highlight per day, you know, like one cool hit per day. I'm happy. But I will never invest time trying to get better at spike ball. I just want it to happen naturally.
Speaker 1: Well, like, how would you even get better? I guess just join a league. I guess would be the real Yeah, I would never do that.
Speaker 3: I guess you could set your spike ball near a wall, back and forth a wall, Like that's how you would get better at tennis or ping pong. Maybe, you know, like if we got the second half of this table, you fold half of it up, never for spike ball. I would also like, I can't imagine being like, hey, tass, what are you doing today? You want to get together and just non competitive, just me and you spiking back and forth, working on our skills. You would say, no, good, but bring your canoe we're hitting the water. That I'd be a lot more fun to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're into tennis right now.
Speaker 1: I'm also bad at tennis? Are you gonna try? I was just gonna say it like at our age as we get older, like, are you going to commit yourself to practicing the new sport? That's yeah, that's I think that's tough.
Speaker 3: No, my practice will be before we start playing the games. You know, you get there, you hit a few times, it feels like the first time, it feels like the very first time, and then you're like, okay, you know, I got the sweat going down my back. Let's play some games. I'll try and win one.
Speaker 2: I'm six.
Speaker 1: What but to push back on that, actually you saying like you won't really practice anything. Didn't you sort of practice like fly fishing a little bit? Like you you started to learn from a master, right. I went on a fishing trip and I learned it once. I haven't fly fished since. Okay, I'm not a practicing no, No, I'm just naturally going to be the exact same at this every time I pick it up.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why I don't want to practice golf. And I'm saying this now because I want to speak it in two existence. I I could see myself getting into golf, and there's you know, spending a billion hours playing golf for the rest of my life. It's it's like appealing on one hand, but I don't want to try and get better at it. I just it's just I don't want to play golf. But it's such a it's such a natural thing. People do it down here, people golf down here. But I would rather just go hack once every few months and be fine or you know, find it bad. Not fine, but like find in my brain, I just don't want to get try and get good. I mean I like to go I like to go hack at a driving range, top golf hack, hack hack, but not on a core swear. It's like you and in the pin. Oh god, yeah, it just it takes forever, like I see our friend Larry Luco out there. If you're good, it'll take under four hours, but if you're bad, it can take a long time.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't want to play.
Speaker 2: I'd rather watch one.
Speaker 1: Rule I've learned being a ship golfer eighteen not for me. Play nine. You're happy. It's like barbecue song. All right, great, similar answers there in a weird way. Okay, final one here this is there's not really a question attached to this, but we need to get this information out to everybody.
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 1: No, Dungk's crew just wanted to inform you about Stance socks. I know you were having a disagreement about where the logo went. Stance is basically my life and my favorite brand. The Stance logo, if it is on the ankle, goes on the inside, is what Trey was saying. It's the way the models wear them and the way most of the ones that are labeled left or right show. However, for certain types of socks like basketball and hiking socks, the Stance logo goes on the outside. Hope this helps go Stance go hornets. That's from material stans.
Speaker 3: Are looking good this year. They got a chance. Dance has a chance in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So yeah, this, I mean, really, this didn't help anything if we're being honest, like the it's just more confusing.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. Why because it goes in concert with a couple of comments we've had. Eric on our YouTube channel said, stance logo always got to be on the inside. Reese says, it's on the inside. The logo pops when you sit with one foot on top of the other knee. This is the point. This is This is the point. If you're not playing a sport. Yeah, the only way you're gonna see it is if you have it up on the other knee. That's the only you're going to see it. So it's about visibility. That's when you're going to see it. When you see people speaking at a panel, when do you see their socks? That's when you see them when they've got there.
Speaker 1: It was but okay, so but the basketball socks, hiking socks, whatever. Yeah, when you're in theory wearing shorts, yes, then the stance logo is on the outside.
Speaker 2: That's when you're going to see it more. I'm not going to see the inside of your ankle more.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're this guy props. All right, so's show it off here. This is a basketball sock for everybody listening to the pod, showing us a bunch of Stance socks.
Speaker 3: As you can see, standard sock on the outside, NBA logo inside ankle. Okay, Stance logo.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, because you're not going to see it really well yeah, okay, Well this was during the NBA era.
Speaker 3: They I think Stance had like the NBA contract for a year. This is when that happened. So you know number one brand at that time has to be the NBA. Right right, there's another one. This is a basketball sock. This one is labeled for the right foot and as you can see, the logo would be on the outside. Yes, yes, left foot also on the outside.
Speaker 1: All socks.
Speaker 3: The way the socks are these are like these are like Kyle Korver tied eye socks. These are insane. These are only only worn under a boot. And then this is the mystery. Okay, unopened. I didn't know for these because I couldn't figure out where to put the logo.
Speaker 1: Tune in for popping socks.
Speaker 3: You see just look just labeled large, just large. This is just a normal sock of big, big sock from my big feet. Choose your own adventure. You're putting the logo on the inside of the outside. You can do it either way.
Speaker 1: Oh, because I see what you're saying.
Speaker 3: I would go logo on the inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because because I do like the model. Yeah, I'm always modeling the inside cross.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's like stance, make up your minds.
Speaker 1: Take a take a stance.
Speaker 3: Stance, Take a stance, stance, take a stance on me.
Speaker 2: Those are big, but these are small.
Speaker 1: This is a quarterer sock. Bro It stretches.
Speaker 2: I'm not speaking. I'm not speaking about the ankle part. I'm speaking about the foot part.
Speaker 1: What you think that's a short?
Speaker 2: That's a short.
Speaker 1: Fun is a microphone. It just stretches them. I only ordered the Huges socks from fans. Like socks are weird that way. You ever seeing like a I mean I'm specifically my wife's, but like a woman's like just tiny little anklet sock. They look like they're this big. They look like they're for like smurfs. You stretch it out.
Speaker 2: It goes on a yeah. Yeah, I've got a I've got a baby, and I've got a four year old. I say the baby socks, I'll fit on the four year old. Well, stretch right right, Yeah, okay they do.
Speaker 1: Beach stepping guys. Throw some socks and socks on. Yeah, kick around the sand with some socks on. Keep sending in your questions no dunks at the Athletic dot com or just straight up facts and statements about particular things that we have disagreements about. You can tweet them in as well at No dunk sing. Okay, we got one more break when we come back. JD's got tweeted the night we got pick the results in a little bit more so, don't go anywhere well. Good news email sent email received. New shirt available now over at no dunk dot com. Yeah, smells like old men. Ah, it's a cool shirt. I love it. I can't wait to buy one of these over at no dunks dot com. Good stuff, breaking tea wait to be on your email during work hours. I love it.
Speaker 3: I was testing them getting.
Speaker 1: A Yeah. So go to no dunk dot com you and grab that new Nirvana inspired no dunk shirt or of course many other shirts and hoodies and mugs and shorts tons over there. We gotta get into the socking.
Speaker 3: Maybe we should do a no Dunk sock. Yeah, And I will say for the shirts logos on the outside.
Speaker 1: Well, it depends. Hens. Let's try to if you're paintings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're painting.
Speaker 1: Uh, nursing a baby, that's a little sick on you.
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 1: What else? So, going to No Ducks dot com get your new No Dunk's gear, and of course, if you buy any of our No Dunks merch and you take a photo of yourself either out of game or on the beach or somewhere else, tag your boys on Twitter and Instagram at No Dunk Sink. Okay, let's get to tweet of the night.
Speaker 2: Tweet of the night. Wow, Yeah, I've got to tweeted the night.
Speaker 6: And to be honest, U, it snuck up on me like it normally does. Like it Uh, it surprised me. So why does it surprise you? Because I always forget and then I'll sort of I'll be looking at the doc like, oh, what have we got today? Blah blah blah blah blah blah, and it's like a fuck. I've got tweeted the night.
Speaker 1: So you don't look at the dock until the morning.
Speaker 6: Well, I never look at the bottom half of it because it's you know, it's our usual stuff to the second. Oh, I know we got pick him. I know we got tweeter to night. But it's always like crap shooting. I'm always like crap, I've got tweet the night.
Speaker 4: But so what I usually do?
Speaker 6: You know, I scramble and I jump into Slack and uh, you know, so I'm just gonna it's basically Slack of the night. In fact, I grabbed the Slack screen grab. Yeah, and it was Trey disdropped it in the drop channel. And this was meant to be a rapid fire question. But it's a tweet from game Spot and uh, it's it's a picture of the Rock from Santa Dres I believe.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: And it says the Rock is making another video game movie, but he won't say which franchise. Crazy right, Uh, And you know in the article he went on to say, uh, you know, it's a classic. I've played this game. I love it. We're gonna do the the player the video game players, right, And it's a he says it's the biggest most badass games to come to this screed.
Speaker 4: I've played it for a year.
Speaker 6: So what is well, we don't know, but there was a response from a.
Speaker 2: Has that not been made?
Speaker 4: I don't know, like it's been.
Speaker 6: Made but maybe not actually, but I saw in the replies to game spot, uh this photoshop of the role as the dude I don't know his name from God of War and it's obviously that it has to be that, right, I mean it looks Yeah. So anyway, getting back to the slack of the night, the question up there is what video game should they make into a movie? So I pose a question to you, guys, I mean put me down for a Zelda, I mean straight link. Yeah, the arena of time. I've never seen a video game movie that I've liked. I don't think, like, has there been a good one?
Speaker 1: I mean I can't print a more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess hit Man wasn't like markin Alberg and hit Man or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Judge Dread, that's not that's not a video comic book.
Speaker 6: First, actually, the judge, the Carl Urban Judge Dread.
Speaker 4: You should watch it. It's really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but based on a comics, based.
Speaker 4: On a comic, not a video game.
Speaker 1: What about cool Spot?
Speaker 4: Cool Spot?
Speaker 1: It's a video game. Never heard of the game cool Spot.
Speaker 3: I brought it up on the show Seven Up Game or something.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: I told the story that I wrecked it from my local convenience store and I beat it in like an hour, and I took it back and they let me just swap it for another game. It's like, I beat this.
Speaker 3: That is that hard handed, and said, make seven up yours. Give me a new game that sounds like a great rock line. Makes seven Up Yours.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: People are saying that, uh, Max Payne was a Mark Wahlberg, but I don't know the rock.
Speaker 2: What did he do?
Speaker 1: He did rampage?
Speaker 4: Right, he did a rampage. He's done. He was in Doom. I think oh Real, which is a video game.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Wow, Uh do.
Speaker 1: You have an answer to this? Then another like, you know video game series like like Zelda that you'd like to see made into a movie. I haven't played it, but Red Dead Redemption looks pretty cool. I played the first one.
Speaker 3: I'm loving westerns. I mind seeing the rock in a western.
Speaker 1: She had him on a horse. What's a rock and everything?
Speaker 4: Weird to see a guy that jack wild West like usual.
Speaker 6: We have around the camp exactly most of the time. They have scurvy and tuberculosis like that real dead wood and they were like alcoholics too. Yeah, be very hard to picture him as a in a Western, but i'd see the horse too.
Speaker 1: Oh did you have an answer for this?
Speaker 2: Or I was gonna go with Zelda as well? Wow? Yeah, because that's the only one I've played of everyone that we've said, I'm surprised they haven't made a Zelda movie.
Speaker 1: Well, hold on, is there a Mario Brothers movie?
Speaker 3: But yeah, movie John Loamo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh so that's old though at this point it's really old.
Speaker 6: I think Bob Hoskins, a guy from from Saving Roger Rabbit and John Legg was that's a crazy I can't be right. As it came out of my mouth, I was like, I can't be right, but maybe it's right.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, Zelda seems to be the end. Like did anybody watch the Sonic movies. I know there's a there is.
Speaker 6: Apparently it's not bad. That's when people said sixty eight percent on Rotten Tomatoes, so that's that's pretty good. The Angry Birds too. The movie is like the highest rate of video game movie on Rotten Tomatoes. It's like seventy three percent. Wow, I said, goddamn delight apparently, so okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Let's hear from everybody out there. I'm sure the stream team's chiming in with some good answers. Video games you'd like to see being made into movies? What about NBA Jam?
Speaker 6: It's not a bad idea, And honestly, like after the two Space Jams, you know, you could digitally bring these guys back to life like in their youth and have flaming balls, and I bet it would be a much more compelling story than both Space Jams put together.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, along the same lines, because I used to love this game, Super Spike Volleyball because like you had to like you had to go through the world circuits stuff like that.
Speaker 4: You know, it's not a bad idea. Let's just make it a straight up sports movie. Yeah right.
Speaker 3: It'd be like you take White Men Can't Jump, and you set it on the beach is playing all these tournaments and you have the big guys, the quick, skinny guys, a team of all bigs. That would be that'd be the rock Man. Maybe the Rock and Vin can smooth things over, be a team.
Speaker 1: People's if the answer to this the Rock is teasing us is super spiked. I'm one of the big guys.
Speaker 5: I've played this game my whole life. I'm doing justice to the big guy characters. Oh I still love that game. It's it's it's still holds up. Like a couple of years ago, me and my buddy Dub we had it. Somebody had the Nintendo system and it's like it's still like difficult enough. It's obviously you know, there's two buttons, so you can pick it up pretty easy.
Speaker 1: But it's fun. That's a great game.
Speaker 2: Never played it. Looking forward to seeing Carrie Walsh Jennings on the courts this year in the Olympics. Oh so the wind she's retired.
Speaker 1: It's funny you brought up the Winter Olympics. We might have a new podcast coming very very soon about that squad back in your life soon the Winter Olympics edition. That's all I'll say. Pick the results from last night Tough One Tasks MAVs Blazers Dallas was faired by four and a half everybody took Dallas to cover that except for Task. Shorved a little bit took the Blazers that got hammered by twenty points in the end. So big victory for Trey and Lee. You're seven and ten. Task falls to six and eleven on eleven and six here in the month of January. Don't want to be last. Don't want to be last. Only two games on tonight, which on't we do it well?
Speaker 2: Much like talking about video games. I don't really know what I'm doing here when it comes to the pick and payoffs.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I hate when that happens.
Speaker 2: There are only two games tonight. It's a TNT doubleheader, and that fact that it's on TNT makes me believe that the Lakers are going to be right going into Phladelphia. I think they're on a bit of a run here, or they're trying to prove to the league that we're playing our best ball of the season. Anthony Davis is there, So I'm taking the Lakers to cover two and a half point spread against that Sixers are all teams. Yeah, the Lakers have some bodies to throw at Joel Embiid and his run that he's got on going on right now with Anthony Davis back, and hell, if they throw one of the D's out there and Dwighter or DeAndre, it'll be fine for a possession or two hopefully, indeed, hopefully Anthony Davis will be out there. But you guys are all taking the Sixers, which I understand. I understand.
Speaker 1: It's a nice looking little doubleheader here, Lakers Sixers, Wolves, Warriors DNT. This could be two entertaining.
Speaker 2: Game, good for the Wolves to get on national TV.
Speaker 1: And the All Star starters are announced tonight as well, so we'll be talking about that, these games and a whole lot more on tomorrow's Drop podcast. You can join us live at ten am Eastern, emailing your NBA questions too. No Dunk's at the flat dot com. You're new, No dunks merch over at no dunks dot com. That shirt is live baby, It's available in youth sizes. It's available in hoodie form. So however you want to put that one on your chest, you can make it happen. Oh you're saying it's reversible, Yeah, inside or outside? Sure it is. Uh, grab yourself an athletic subscription. Go to the Athletic dot com. A slash at No Dunks and like I said, we'll be back tomorrow here at Tennam Eastern live from the Classic Factory. Until then, Clipper Bros. You heard it here first, have a great time, turn up. Love you guys awesome.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us. And remember I'm going to quote somebody here from the stream team. Now this isn't necessarily true, but this is who he believes The Rock will be playing. David De Luis says The Rock will be Shao Khan in the Mortal Kombat series Mortal Kombat movie coming out.
Speaker 1: Huh another one.
Speaker 2: There's no way it's okay, there's no way it's that.
Speaker 1: But finish this race. The hey people,