Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast, Welcome to You, and that's what you really missed Today is a I know we say this a lot, but today I have someone I have known for forever. Jenna has known him for almost as long. But we have Chris Scott, the choreographer from Wicked and Wicked for good and just everything. He's done, lots and lots of things. Three time Emmy nominee. He did Dancing with the Stars and so you think you can dance at alex ste He was in the Glee pilot, a bunch of the step ups, I could really in the heights, lots of things. But he's so talented and so nice and so kind and it has been a wild ride to watch him take over the world. So we get to talk to him. It's a fascinating conversation about Wicked. We learned all the things. This is Chris Scott.
Speaker 3: FUA.
Speaker 2: How you doing good.
Speaker 3: I'm good. I'm still good.
Speaker 1: How y'all doing It's good to see you you too.
Speaker 2: Are you exhausted?
Speaker 3: I'm in the best way possible. I am exhausted, I'm rejuvenated. I'm all the things so great.
Speaker 4: Congratulations, yeah, congrats, and just having the biggest movie in the world again.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. I mean I think I do. I will say this is very full circle to me sitting here with you all, because I remember, I don't know if you guys remember, but before Lee happened, when you guys shot it, before it was ever out into the world, there was a birthday party, I think it was Amber's birthday party, and we all hung out. I was like, this group is so special and group of talent. It was. It was karaoke night and we're all like out of control talent, and I was like, this is amazing. So now to be here today chatting with y'all about wicked.
Speaker 4: So wild, Yes, Like I've known Chris since I was six fifteen sixteen, wow, something something like that.
Speaker 2: And it has been such like a gift to watch you and John sort of rise together through this and just do bigger project after bigger project, things that are so beloved by people all around the world, like it couldn't happen to anybody nicer and you just haven't stopped. And it's been just incredible to watch because you know, we've been around long enough where things don't always happen to the nice ones, and it's really nice when they do and deserved. And I'm just so extraordinarily proud and happy for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you, thank you, and make me emotional already we're just starting. I can't get you.
Speaker 5: Already, you can let it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good to crect.
Speaker 5: Well, we're so happy to have you here, full circle, just to talk about all the amazing things. I mean, tell us a little bit about what the Wicked ride has been like for you. And I know you and John have worked together forever, So what were those like early conversations like and kind of getting in the room like you got in the room with us, What was it like gating in the room with like that cast and all those special people, because obviously the chemistry is similar and that it's electric.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it is. It is crazy. It's been it's been a journey.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It is interesting because we you know, starting off, even just jumping in with John was like already it was weird. It was like this familiar feeling of like, Okay, cool, we're doing this just like we do anything. It's the web series of LEXD. It's a commercial that's the thing. Yeah, it's all just the same, you know, at the end of the day, at the core of it all, there's a story to tell, and that's something that John's really stilled in me as a choreographer and just as a general storyteller. So I think the first feeling I had was like, Okay, this is a very complicated story. This is a massive undertaking, but there's a it's a beautiful story, you know, and John's all over it. And John's going to get in there with a microscope and I'm gonna be standing off his shoulder and digest everything that he can throw at me. And he throws a lot at you. You know. John is like it's you can tell from the work like it really is. He is so thoughtful and so it is this kind of it. It was like a lot of anxiety of like, Okay, we're taking on this, this beloved piece. But it was also a lot of excitement because I was like, oh, I get to do this with John bringing me into this world, and I just can't wait to see what he's got going. So that was kind of the beginning stages. I mean, I went to his house, you know, the way that he invited me into the movie. Was just very casual, almost in like and how we are and he just I came over to his house one day he hands me it hat. I knew it was happening, but I don't ever ask, like, hey, like, yeah, what's going on with your next movie? Can I do? I don't do. He's got enough pressure on him. Yeah, and he just you know, he handed me a wicked hat and was like you ready to go to Odds?
Speaker 2: And I was damn wow.
Speaker 3: Let's go. And then that was at that point, it was like let's get to work.
Speaker 2: And now when was this? Was this like twenty twenty No.
Speaker 3: It was it was like twenty what was it, twenty twenty two? I think it was like, okay, you were because when did we film? I mean, it's been such a journey. I might be off a year. I can't even gotta get back.
Speaker 2: Also, the pandemics like time's not real and completely messed everything up.
Speaker 3: It messed up everything, but you know, getting back on track. Yeah, yeah, it was like February March of twenty twenty two, because then I was out in London, you know, in like June July, so it was to start auditioning dancers, which was that was the first process, and I watched him cast, which was very interesting to me because yeah, him make these decisions and hear his thought process with you know, working with Telsea, and that was like a whole experience too because I got to see, you know, I'm very lucky. I feel like John always like kind of lets you if you're if you want to sit in that seat, he'll he'll provide it for you. Yeah, He'll open that curtain for you and you can see all the behind the scenes things because I remember him talking about Cynthia when she came into the room and it was he was just like, I mean, that's like, there's no question it is like and then he showed me her audition tape from his iPhone. He facetimed me and showed me the audition through a computer through a laptop as he facetimed the screen, so it was like a screen through a screen through a screen, and I'm still like, I was so deeply affected. I was like I was bawling, you know, Wizard and I and it was just some thing different. And then Ari was the same thing where it was just kind of like this thing where it was like is she Glinda? I don't know, like he was, he was trying to figure it out. And then I remember the moment is like she's she came back over and over and over again, put her through the auditions, and there was there was that point I remember him just being like, I mean she is like she the modern day Glinda, and she is, you know, invested in this in a way that like there's no there's no one else. Yeah, yeah, it's been a special And then just one by one, then Jonathan Bailey and you're like, this is Michelle yo, Jeff go is Just one by one they started flying and you're like, wow, this is a cast that no matter what happens in this movie. Like at that point, it was like they're special. You have all the pieces of the puzzle in place. Now we just got to go. We'll get to work.
Speaker 2: What what is that process like of because you assemble this sort of like All Star crew, but you don't necessarily know personality, is chemistry going to be there, how people's work processes when you all finally get together to start working through. Obviously everyone's super professional. I already know the answer, Like everyone's great and wonderful, but you know, like you've taught me before, Like things people learn differently, things fit on people's bodies differently. Like what was that dynamic like of finding a rhythm I guess and what you do and that that influence like what you were coming up with in terms of choreography for the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. I mean I my mentality is to, you know, embrace the versions of the characters that these actors are playing. And I think that's something I developed through the years. I didn't always used to be like that. I think there was a time when I was younger as a boreographer where I was like, you know, get to the dance, tell the story that I'm picturing in my head right like presented to everybody, and hope it all kind of just locks them together right now. It's like, you know, these actors won their top notch, they're the highest level. They have a perspective like I have a version of Alpha, but in my head, we all do. But what's Cynthia Arrivo's version, because that's the version that we're going to tell, right then what is Jeff Goldblum's version of the Wizards? So then Ari's version of Linda? So we sat down, I sat down one by one. Before I started, I had ideas of choreography, but really it started with me asking them like how do they see their characters? And it was early on, so I know that their character is also going to develop. Yeah, so you ask the questions. But then you also, you know, with open ears, kind of just let it play out and yeah, just pivot as you develop more. And they each had so much interesting things to say. I mean, I canmer each way crazy, Like I remember Cynthia talking about like the realization that like alphab you know, she's not or like she comes from money, so like the idea that she doesn't know how to dance and this this idea that she's not elegant and that she's the thing. She's like, it doesn't that's not the case for her. I was like, great, got it, check and then that's that did it? Yeah, you know, played a huge helping hand for me to to create movement for her. You know. Jeff, I remember he started off the whole thing by just we were talking like this and then he just goes you know, because Chris, you know, I am a sentimental man and I always longed to be a father and and I'm like, oh, he's gonna do oh, he's doing it like a monologue. He's doing sentimental funny. So not only character, he explained the character. I'm like watching him tell like he's showing me the character efforts. And he did it a second time. He did it in loops like, so then he just kept going. I was thinking like, oh my god, am I gonna have to like cut Jeff golb Off because we also do a herse at some point. And the second time you did it, I was like, Okay, this is interesting. Take it all in. And then the third time he did it, he did it a third time, I'm like, surely he's not going to do a fourth. But for me it started going like, oh, he's not just showing me who the wizard is. He's experiencing the wizard in real time right now. I see him figuring it out. Yeah, yeah, yeah, conversation. And then the fourth time he was gonna he was starting to do it, and it was like, you know, I feel like I got the information we'rep and it was like Jeff, hold on, I got an idea, and then like we get it up on it speaking He's like, okay, and he's like, yeah, he the candy floor. He just started to play.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow.
Speaker 2: I mean that's what it's all about. Like to be at that level, right, like this is the biggest level you can do something, and to understand that, like you have to be able to allow that playfulness, allow that because like everyone's done their work. These are people who are at the top levels of their profession like you, and like everyone's done the research and they're coming in and just like what does this big soup look like when we mix it all together?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and which I would be remiss if I didn't bring up my conversations with Jonathan Bailey because that was actually very interesting to me too. And I remember when he came in and we were talking about the depth of Fierro, which you know, typically there is a version where it's you know, it's this playoff of the scarecrow and that idea that he doesn't have a brain and that he's kind of like ditsy and the things. But with Jonathan, it was very like there was so much behind the eyes when he would talk about it, you just get this sense of like such a rich character that this like actor is about to die into and it really inspired all of it. I mean we were together like finding moments where it's like, oh, it's dancing recory and we're doing this, and then you know, it would be like in choreography a moment where he just kind of stops and looks at things and you see these moments and it's like whoa, and then he's back into the dances. Yeah, and it was interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you talked about you know, all these all these people having perspectives of their characters. What was your or povs, you know, like what was your pee of your perspective of I guess like the language of dance through OZ, you know, like I feel like munch can Land or all these different places have yeses, They all have different people, they all have different demographics. Like did that come into like when you're all building every department building this world together on a dance level, Like how did that inform like what you were coming up? Like when we get to in the first movie, when we get to OZ for the first time, like when we get to.
Speaker 6: My god, it's the number I'm blinking one short day, one short day, And you're like, oh, that is a whole different style of choreography now, we're here and there's a little cameo and like, you know, I was like, oh, I love that we're switching this up, Like what was what were those decisions?
Speaker 2: Like, how did you like your creative process?
Speaker 3: No, definitely, I love first of all, I love y'all questions. You guys, it's different when you talk and a real deal. Yeah, you know, No, it was really you know it the first thing. Okay, it's like, well, this idea of world building was really strong to me because I'm like, well, that's what we're doing. You know, I'm here to support John. I'm here to support the things I should I need, and I'm watching him really build this world with all the other departments. So if I'm building a dance, what does that world look like? And the interesting thing, you know, one of the first thoughts I had was well, it's odd, so it's not of this world, so you want stuff to feel a little unworldly. But it's also like, you know, dances a human thing. Dances are very is a you know, it's been built through this world, through culture, through thousands of years of ritual and expression connections, so you're like, you know, it's all there as well, so it's funny. At first, I was like I wanted to feel like out of this world. And then I started gravitating more towards like, what's the inspiration I find from this world that's actually I can project into this world, which then became interesting. I'm very meta, as you can tell. Then it was like, well, this is like the whole one of this, Like is oz a real, actual place, like what you know? Is it like the idea of the Wizard coming from Omaha to hear what's his influence on the world. So it started to become like this really crazy journey. But it really started with each country in Oz really as I started to like break it down and I wanted to give each place its own style, its own identity, culture, its own identity, so you know, and munchkin Land was like, it's the working class, it's the the builders, it's the artist, it's the people that make the die, that make the yellow, the ricks and the thing. So it became like really grounded and like in the dirt, and I pictured, you know, I've been working with a friend Editrres Junior in the Latin dance scene, and I've gotten to know the history around Latin dance, so I kind of took a lot of elements from that, which comes from Africa, you know, the roots of it all. So it's like it started to like take the shape of like, oh, this is like the inspiration. And then then you get to Shiz and you're like, well, what do a bunch of anxious teenagers look like when they dance? That's why they go up. It wasn't just like cool movement with books. It was really like and that's why they hold on to them so tight, because you want to create this world of like, you know, frustration and anxiety so that then Fierro can come into this world and disrupt it all. You know. But then where does he come from? You come from wiki country, which is the military base. It's like, so that's why it's a lot of like stepping and footwork and things. But then you're like, well, what's but Fierra doesn't play by the rules, so you have to get deep into that and now he's I took a lot of inspiration from house dance because of how does he free that up a little bit? Yeah, and then it just kept going and then to get to and then Gillikin just to touch them all. Now that's where Glinda's from, and it's wealthy, and so you tap into the ballet and uh, that's a dance format was built in wealth and and it's you know, so you're in that world and then Emerald City comes in, and that's one of my favorite worlds because this is like how I grew up in a metropolitan city. And then you see all walks of life. That's why we have all these different styles together.
Speaker 2: That's so funny you say that, because when it got to Emerald City, I'm like, this is Chris.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Immediately I was just like besides seeing you like in it, just like this is like this is the Chris I know, and like a really like joyful you know it was, which also then shows how capable and like deeply thinking about thinking about everything else too. Yeah, because I think it's just like an actor where you can like lose them in a character. It's beautiful to be able to see dance or the choreographer do that as well, and the different switching up the different styles.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You also you had mentioned it before, but like this is a massive undertaking for something that was so beloved for so many years and was already a phenomenon. So how do you how was that for you? And how do you take something so iconic and and established and established, yeah, and then flip it on his head, but also keep the integrity of what you know, the people who created this, you know, did, while also putting you know, the stamp of your what your influences were, and the storytelling that you guys are choosing how you're choosing to approach it, Like what is that?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean you know, I'm I'm I'm a lover of the story, Like I'm a fan of the property myself. So then it kind of just turned into like, well, just take care of it like you would want to if I'm an audience member, which i am, I'm like, take care of it for anybody that loves this property. That really was the first audience I was thinking about personally. I mean, I feel like we all kind of were in that world for all the other department heads or anything, but it just felt like this innate responsibility to give these people that have already been so deeply affected by this show something that they'd be proud of. You know. Another thing early in my career, like I wasn't as aware of an audience I was just making stuff, and I think now I'm like, oh, we're making stuff for people too. People like work really hard and I and I to buy the ticket to the theater to like have an experience, and we owe them that. So and then you add Wicket on top of that, and it just became like a mission to of like how do we, yeah, like get the people what they want?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a line from the movie.
Speaker 2: Well, I imagine it starts with or like at the top. I feel like John is such a fan of things and respectful in that way, like you guys had already done in the Heights, which again is another beloved property, right it means a lot to so many people, and you guys successfully did that. And so I feel like, do you think, like knowing him for so long and also how you work of like when you come into a project like that out of the respect of war fans of this, then it just sort of trickles down to every department or like everybody in it just wants to has the same mission or approaching it in the same way.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean John really does create an environment that is no matter what it is, Like I'll do a commercial with him. It's like we're all leaving, like, oh my god, you're like hugging, You're like almost a tear. It's you know, it's an interesting thing. And I think it's such a testament to what a leader he is as well as a creative genius. And I don't say that word like some people, but like he really And I'm so proud that I feel like I've gotten to watch his growth in all of it. You have like row seats, front row seat, and it's like, I remember when we did Step Up to the streets.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was a big look amongst all of us. That was a big deal.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, it was a big deal and and it was amazing and it felt like this special thing. And I remember, I'll never forget Once John told me about Step Up three was gonna happen. He came to my apartment. Now we're all friends, we've done we've all battled Miley Cyris on YouTube. You were we didn't get you in there, we got but you know, he told me before Step Up three he was like, you know it's going to be like that again. Step Up two is special, Okay. He was preparing me for this new version of a movie because he just thought, you know, through the system of Hollywood, it was going to become now like oh, we're making the sequel. Things are going to change, there's gonna be different treatment, yeah, personalities, you know. But it wasn't the case. It really was just as special and it felt like, again, we're just making this beautiful thing, you know, with John at the helm, creating this energy that you just want to give your heart and soul to it because you see him doing it. I mean, he's like in that rain scene, that young director was running in and out of the rain, fixing things and pulling things again, and he'd be back at the monitor like here we.
Speaker 1: Go, and and he was like, yeah, this is yeah.
Speaker 3: And from them, I mean, it always was like, oh, this is these are the people I want to work for. Yeah, and now I've been able to get to work with this specific person for over eighteen years now, and it's like, man, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think one of the best signs of a leader is knowing how and where to delegate and trust the people. And like he trusts you clearly, and like you know, obviously John deserves all the praise, but you also have been doing a huge part of all these projects, and you know that comes with you're not continuously getting hired for something if you're not good people putting the right vibe like he is out there. Because you're also in charge of a lot as a choreographer, especially in Wicked. You had a hell of a lot of dancers. Yeah, doing a lot and all these like crazy scenes and sets that you guys built, like how And I feel like because of the progression of different films you guys have done together in projects, are you comfortable now like being in charge of running that department because it is a full ass huge thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I've grown up a lot. This was a big one for me to grow up on. But it's funny because you're you're the pressure is so high, you like, you can't grow up on the project. You got to kind of.
Speaker 2: Just like you got to get through it.
Speaker 3: You got to get through it. And I and I learned a lot, and you know, I feel more comfortable. It's funny. I get to do all these like extra you know, Wicked promos and these shows and the things, and I can feel how much I've grown up since, you know, and you don't do it alone. You know, I had an amazing team of associate choreographers and assistant choreographer you know, comfort for Dokey was with me.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's not like.
Speaker 3: Bill Loft. This was with I've been working with for it for you know, fifteen years. And then Emilio La Saul, who's like my guy, that's like, you know, he's the one in that tornado wheel, like doing all the things that I can't physically do. Yeah, he's doing I mean, blowing my mind every day. And who was out in London who I met and she was like an incredible assistant with me from day one and help me cast all those dancers, and I mean to learn to get to know the community in London was scary for me because I'm like, I don't know these people like you represent the movie. And she'd opened my eyes to an incredible world of talent. I love the dancers in London so much. It's a beautiful community, but so much talent. Yeah, Like I'm like dying to do more jobs in London. I'm like, get me back out there. I love it. Like I mean, I'm repping with the hat right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's yeah, It's just I'm so grateful to those dancers that really came, they showed up, because that's that's all it takes, too, right, Like I can do everything I want to do and work hard and stay up till in the morning trying to figure out these dance numbers. But if I come in and these dancers don't invest right, it's not going to work, you know, right, It's it's incredible when things just like sparky yeah set, You're like, wow, it all came together one short day. Eight was crazy because we had one hundred and sixty dancers, we had rain, we had the sad strike which shifted the schedule, we lost dancers that were featured, we had to restage, reblock it.
Speaker 1: It was wow.
Speaker 3: We were breaking up wonners because it wouldn't work in the space with all the dancers and the timing that we had to shoot it Like it was this weird like number that was like this is going to be a big dance number, and then you know.
Speaker 2: It turns into like the biggest Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: John right there We'll be like yeah, I think I think we could just keep it, you know, bigger, bigger, and you're just like, okay, here we go, whatever you want.
Speaker 2: I also love like all the planning that goes into this right, like you're building these massive sets, you're hiring dancers, you're there for months, like and then you get to the day of doing it, you're like, what's happening?
Speaker 4: Are what?
Speaker 2: What do we have to do now?
Speaker 3: Oh? It's raining? What that's cool? So what you shoot on the other day? Well, the strike? So that's and then we had Kristen and Anda Like that was razy because then you have these icons joining the thing. You're like you're sitting there going like, what is happening one day? Because the rain and the strike and you're going like it's a night shoot. You're like, okay, yeah, good luck everybody. Right, they're like John like action and then all works and you're just like, well, you hope it works because then, yeah, you don't know until you see it on this.
Speaker 2: When you have every department firing on all cylinders, you got it. When it comes time to actually the cameras.
Speaker 1: On, it just works.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What about what about Dancing through Life?
Speaker 5: Like that's such a massive undertaking too, like different locations, different pieces, Ozda's ballroom with the ladies, Like, that's that's huge too.
Speaker 1: What was that one?
Speaker 3: Like it was that's the first song I started with when John told job, I was because I love that song. I've always loved it. I love the melody. I think I'm anything where they say the word so like it warms your heart a little bit. I was like really excited to do that number into like and I knew in my mind. I was like, you know, on Broadway, I think what Wayne did is brilliant, and I think there's so much brilliant, so much he did. But when you're like, okay, we get to take a camera now and like be in. It was very exciting where that number could go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you took it there.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I'm proud of it. You know, even like people ask me all the time to like did Jonathan Bailey do all that? How did he do? He did all of that? Like anytime we had dance doubles or whatever, it's just to like line up the shots. They this cast was not letting a double grab a book with the yeah, and you know and every little the flip of the thing. I mean, he just did. And you know, I was watching like pure excellence from each performance, and it was it was really gratifying. Yeah, but it was it was hard, you know. The tornado wheel itself was like we didn't have it for a long time. I was getting I had a model, a three D model, and it's spinning and it's electric and I'm like with a little action figuring up in there. It helped me like kind of see sure at the end of the day, nothing's happening. Yeah, kind of like nothing really happened until you get inside that wheel. And then we only had one for so long, so wow, see the layers, it's a lot of Alice Brooks, the incredible cinematographer. We would get together and talk about how we're going to shoot it because you can't do a lot of things because there's ladders around, so you can't you can put a train arm through it. Yeah, you got to time it out. I mean that could be a disaster. And we did do that. We did put a crane arm in there and that thing was rotating and we timed it perfectly.
Speaker 2: It was just it's like really.
Speaker 3: Special. All hands on deck. Yeah, because at the end of the day, you know, John John wanted something. He does this thing I think where there's like that element not to put any pressure on his next job, but he creates you know, with the production designer Nathan Crowley, They're like, what's the really crazy thing that no one will let us do? Like see that they'll let us do it?
Speaker 2: And then yeah, we do it.
Speaker 3: And this was that moment. And you know, there'll be times where I'm like, we've been talking about it and is this going to work? Like I don't know?
Speaker 2: So how does that? My question is like how do those conversations happen? Because like is he talking to the production designer and it comes to you and be like, oh, so this dance has to is going to happen within a set or in a wheel like and like you have to figure it out?
Speaker 3: Or is it?
Speaker 2: Like hey, is it more? Is it a collaboration of we're thin, yeah, we we're thinking about this. What would you want for this? Like how does that work?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean it's all collaboration, this whole thing really is. It's funny. Everyone's a lot of people like who made that move up? Where'd that come from? Where that I'm like, at the end of the day, we have so much conversations taking us in.
Speaker 2: This best idea wins in the moment, the.
Speaker 3: Best idea wins, And to be honest, it's all inspired by the conversations that we're having, so it all kind of forms together. You know that that Paul Taswell designed will inspire a whole thing. So it's like, you know, it's a really it's a beautiful thing, you know, looking back, And that's why I did really feel like a once in a lifetime thing because you know, or again it's like or a John che thing because it just seems to happen with him where it's just not always the case. But you know that that tornado. I remember he told me the idea, and I feel like, you know, sometimes I'm in there with him when when the structure idea is happening. But this one I remember him like, I think he's been talking to Nathan already and they like had this thought. But I know he wanted something that felt like an Ossian bookcase. Literally, I think that became the O and then the if you look the ladders see and there was a moment where we did actually line it up like you can see the word oz in it, and you're just like, that's the level of thinking. But then he when he told me about it, was like he's like, do you think you can work with that? And I'm like, I think that's incredible.
Speaker 1: I'll figure it out.
Speaker 3: And then yeah, he lets me play. There was a moment when I had a different intro and I was like, do we because you know I also then I'm like I want to do and the everything in there, like when do I get this opportunity again? And I play around a little bit and then we go like, no, I think actually this is the part the original idea where it goes makes sense and going and and then you know, we shot a bunch of stuff that we had like some bt like I don't know where it is now, but there's a whole dance break inside of there that was kind of crazy with all these like parkour performers flipping around, jumping around, you know, release release.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: The storytelling through dance in this movie or movies is so important, and I think one of the most moving moments in both movies comes from one of the dance moves of them, like greeting each other, basically the hand on the head moment, and when it comes back and for good, it's really beautiful and moving. What was the genesis of that creating something like that that is so moving and story driven and like really important to the two main characters relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that moment at the ozdask was very important for all of us. So we just knew it were like, this is not you know, this is not to be like taken lightly. And so we had a whole process. But I had originally choreographed some stuff in a room with a bunch of dancers and it was like right, and they were all doing other stuff and I was just like trying to come up with, like, what's some oddsdesk movement, knowing it's just going to develop. And I didn't I don't know, I didn't really love this stuff. So it was one of those things where and this is how we are, you know. I'm like, it's like ten pm and we're in London and I hit up Comfort for dok. You know, I'm like, hey, are you down to like workshop some more stuff? I just want to like we're not there and we have sent it tomorrow. She's like great, I'm on my way, came over. We're up until like one in the morning, just workshopping stuff in like my living room of the place I'm staying in London, and you know, it started to develop. You know, it also started to really hit me that the movement that Alphaba would be inspired by isn't of of the human dance styles, because that's she doesn't connect with those those that's the group of people that push her away, but she does connect with animals, Like, let's create language that really does feel like it comes from animals. And I remember Comfort was moving around and she hit this posture with her on her head. I was like, I love that I was and they were like oh and then I'm like twinkled the fingers a little, and we found this thing and it just to me. I'm looking at Comfort and I'm like, she looks like a bird. And then it was like this is this is where? And it kind of was the move that broke through. Not only did it create this thing that was so meaningful, but it also kind of like pushed us forward and the rest of the choreography and then it was just like boom, let's go with that. And then it's like flickering the feet because you know animals do dance, yes, you know there's reality in that. So it became like this bird dance for a lot of it, and I didn't know that it was going to become the greeting yet because we took the process and we threw it on Cynthia and then we developed the whole dance together. So I was thinking beyond Cynthia first, because you know, you want to create on that Cynthia feels amazing feeling. Yeah, yeah, again, it's a collaboration. We're in the room, we're finding stuff with Cynthia. And then once the number felt locked and it was like she feels good, then we brought Ari into the process and then seeing you know, the storyline is like she has to learn the dance and imitate it, which I hate those moments in most.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a hard moment to work around.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, they got to make it believable, and I feel bad for these actors because you're like, you got to sell it. But we tried to create enough space where it felt believable and realistic.
Speaker 2: Totally. I totally agree with that. Yeah, the space in that, like the pace of that whole scene, right, I never had movies never have that much space to make those things work like that. It has to happen like very quickly. And because you had the time to do that, it felt earned, in natural and organic, and.
Speaker 1: It was so important. I mean, so it's pivotal, right, it's so so import.
Speaker 2: To cut you off.
Speaker 3: Sorry, No, it's true. You're right. I'm glad you're saying it because it's true of these movies, you know. And then people are like, oh, so the movies too and a half. I'm like that timeline, that number doesn't really mean anything, because if you're not telling the story right, then like what are we doing? Like exactly you did that space off? I could feel it. We're all looking like this is pretty long. I mean, chance, your life is long. It's very.
Speaker 2: Clows and it moves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and but yeah, but then as soon as Ari did this back to her the way that they performed it, it was like, oh, that's a that's that's something special. That's that's that's going to be a thing. And then it did. And it wasn't planned for the other scenes. It just started to happen. And then like we'd be talking about the train scene and it's like, oh, they should do, you know, and and then it just yeah, developed from there and now seeing people do it you know on TikTok, it's like crazy Instagram and like using it as like a real little you know, connection between each other. Is like, that's really gratifying.
Speaker 1: Before we let you go, what is the feeling that Wicked leaves you with?
Speaker 3: Man, there it is. Now you're going to have me get all of this. I mean it like, I mean it's so cliche, but it's like the idea that it has changed me for good is like so real. Like it's really like, you know, we've been through so much to make this and now it's out in the world and it just feels like, you know, there is like a greater purpose for doing all this work. And because it is so it's not just you know, we didn't just make a movie that's entertained. It's to like really impact people and to like make people feel seen, you know, raise some questions that are challenging in certain parts of the world. You know, it's it's a lot, it's it's really deep, and I think being a part of that feeling like this great sense of purpose, you know, it's like definitely putting me on that path of like this is the type of work I want to do, and it should become harder and harder to be like yeah, I'll do that, I'll do this. Like it's changed me and I just like I'm nervous, like I don't want to chase the experience of it all because that's different, that's its own thing and that's going to live and y ever. But the idea of doing things that it's just you know, important to people, and that that yeah.
Speaker 2: Meaningful and that's that is a good feeling to chase.
Speaker 5: I guess to have that perspective to chase things that are meaningful and intentional and.
Speaker 2: In addition to creatively fulfilling and fun and of course, yeah, all those things I want because it's poss it's possible.
Speaker 3: We we've we've I've been lucky enough to experience it now and and through you know, we always comes back to John Quo.
Speaker 2: It's like everybody comes up, he like brings the hop because especially now, like everybody's at an age where everybody knows what they're capable of. We all know what each other is capable of. You trust those people, you know they do good work. You know they're good to work with and like you, it's you can't let this people go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what a joy to watch you from working with you and you know those early glee days to seeing you grow and you know with you without John too, just your own career, and so you think you can dance watching your pieces that are have always been so meaningful to me, and like watching that and watching you flourish into a place where now you have a path and a purpose and you know where your next work is going to be and what it's going to mean to you is so important, and we're just so happy for you, and you know, it's just been such an honor.
Speaker 1: To chat with you again and reconnect.
Speaker 3: So thank you me too, you know, real quick before we got you know fun fact, do you guys know that I was in the pilot of Glee?
Speaker 1: Did you do one?
Speaker 3: I am in Vocal Adrenaline original number? I don't I. I was up on the top of the thing. I partnered U b parts ut miss that because I was like in the corner, because I was struggling because it was on these risers, my style.
Speaker 2: But because we were there, like I went and hung out with the Vocal Adrenaline dancers. It was so long ago, but like it was.
Speaker 3: So long ago because then we also did the what was the one in the mall that it was it safety dance, Safety Dance, I'm safe, So you know it.
Speaker 2: Was always so like that was doing the pilot. We didn't know what the show was going to be, and then having so many of my friends like you being there and vocal adrenaline was so surreal.
Speaker 3: It was just like, it's a huge flex of mine. I tell you all the time, like I was in the pilot. Oh g.
Speaker 2: We were all there together.
Speaker 1: We love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: Thanks for doing this. We love you. I'm so proud of you. It's like, what an incredible ride. And how many people in the world now get to see and love your work, Like that's just.
Speaker 1: Millions and millions and millions yea, all over.
Speaker 3: The world, beautiful work for them to see. And it's important and it's powerful, and I think that's the most gratifying thing. And I love y'all so much.
Speaker 2: You deserve it all.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Chris, Love you guys.
Speaker 2: See thank you again. That was the one and only Chris Scott. I love him. I love him so much, sweet man. Thank you Chris for joining us. Yes, we love to have him back, like literally known that man since we ran like a fake club at our friend's dance studio when we were like sixteen. We had bouncers and everything, so embarrassing. Thank you, Chris. Go see Wicked for good. If you haven't already, you probably have, and that's what you really missed. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.