Speaker 1: Worrying.
Speaker 2: Today's episode contains spoilers for Skeleton Crew episode one oh five.
Speaker 3: There's some big reveals of this, so watch it. Hello, my name's Jason gets Upside and.
Speaker 2: I'm Rosie Knight And welcome back the Extra Vision, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. Coming to you from our podcast where we're bringing you three three three episodes every week every Tuesday Thursday, with an ext trapisode every Wednesday.
Speaker 4: In today's episode, we're going straight to the Vibe Branton, politically neutral planetary spa from episode one oh five of Skeleton Crew, where surely nothing bad will happen and we will begging into it momentarily.
Speaker 2: Next up the airlock, we open on at Aton, where Wendell Whim's dad has gone to work, trying to pretend like everything's conky, Dorian is just fine. He and Neil's mom, Numa, we learned, have been conspiring a little bit to get the access codes to the space barrier so that I don't know, they can go look for their kids probably.
Speaker 5: And just kind of even like get a message to them and.
Speaker 2: A message contact to the outside world. Something Wendell hacks into the system and downloads the codes to the space barrier onto a Star Wars USB drive. A safety droid reads this strange surge of activity coming from Wendel's terminal goes over invest this catches him with the USB drive. The droid alerts Farah Fern's mom, who's the undersecretary of whatever that manages this particular workplace. She promptly shuts down the droid, and we figure out that Farah is also somehow involved in this conspiracy, but she seems to be more reluctant to really get in loving it. But she loving it.
Speaker 4: She does want to get her child back. Yes, you know, so she's at least the little bit of a good mom.
Speaker 2: On the pirate ship, Jod is finishing up tying SM thirty three to a table. The kids turn him on and they start interrogating him, whereas at Aden, what do you know about ad At and what's going on? Jod recognizes the name of Sam's former captain, tack Renad, and he figures out that this ship must be tach Renaud's famous Onyx Cinder, Tack being formally the most infamous pirate in the galaxy. Hell's the kids the tail, how Renod went in search of the treasure planet at Aten and then promptly disappeared, and how the old pirate captain's map to at Aten is hidden in his secret layer. SM then fills in the rest of the story. He's like, so Renad was betrayed by his quote unquote Concubine was troubling details and.
Speaker 4: The kids are like Concubine, like very troubling detail of this story.
Speaker 2: Apparently tack Renod a trafficker of the various species. And we also learned that sm in his capacity as the right hand droid to Captain Renod, was as we probably guessed, like a very bloodthirsty mass murderer, like as lots of bodies.
Speaker 4: We knew his buddy count was high after he went over the child.
Speaker 5: After the children trying to fab limbs off, but like it's getting higher, that's right.
Speaker 2: Wim sneaks off and Jod finds him on his iPad. He's crying.
Speaker 4: You know what, it doesn't matter what galaxy you're in. Kids love an iPad. They love they love on Earth on and like doesn't matter. iPad is over, But yeah, wom is crying. He's very sweet little guy, and I was really feeling froment.
Speaker 5: This money too.
Speaker 2: He's sad because his big wish to go on on a grand adventure came true. But the adventure has been really dangerous and they've almost died numerous times. And let's be one hundo about this. They have probably been involved at least been involved in the deaths of like numerous people.
Speaker 5: Oh definitely, at least a few deaths.
Speaker 4: Because even just when they escape the first time, oh yeah, the uh poor attached like that was lots of depths.
Speaker 2: Like they have committed some crimes, so some deaths have occurred. And when misses his dad and his mom, who we learned has passed. She's passed and he misses her. She can't come back. John gives some very Jedi Temple type advice.
Speaker 5: He's like Qui gon Jin r he he literally.
Speaker 2: Quotes Qui gon Jin and says, you shape your reality Qui gon Jin's, you know, advice from the Phantom Menace. And then he says, you know, be a bunch of you know, Jedi philosophy shit at the several attachments.
Speaker 5: Just attachments they told you down.
Speaker 2: You don't need that, don't give into your emotions that complicates things. Then he picks up the tablet with the force and one hundred percent, which confirmed. Now this guy can use the force.
Speaker 5: Really strong magnets.
Speaker 2: But they do they do the sound. This is the first time. This is the first time they use This is the first time they do the sound when he picks up the tablet. So thus it basically he's got it.
Speaker 5: Yes, he's got it.
Speaker 2: So he's probably he's not a Jedi, but he's Jedi trained clearly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh he's all he's for sensitive and new someone who is Jedi trained.
Speaker 5: Let's get to this light because also our discord has some great Yes, we can do a though jod watch.
Speaker 2: Afterwards, we go to uh the Skullridge Mountain where Captain Reynold's lair is hidden. The planet is known as Lenoopa, and it's now you know, like a spa like a Switzerland type.
Speaker 1: An adult plant spa planet's which also like if it's an adult Sony planet, does that mean it's like Star Wars swingers because usually like if you're in Palm Springs and that like adult Sony resort, you're like, uh, do I want to do swinging?
Speaker 2: I think there's some of that. I mean, like there's a hut. We see a hut in the mud baths and listen, we know like huts, like they're into weird shit.
Speaker 5: So they're in.
Speaker 2: It's very clear that this is not a place for kids. Jod makes the kids promise to just stay on the ship while he goes and checks things out, and then he shakes them down for all of their existing money for bribes and stuff. And we're going to shake our sponsors down for some money now, and we'll be back after a word from them, and we're back. So they land the ship. Jod gets the kids dressed up as members of the brat Trick Race, which is apparently like a shorter statued kind of very heavily moss and people appearing tightly evoking Jahwa type species but like hooded and very small. And he, you know, is passing himself off as their translator. These are the four Wise Masters, and I am their translator.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And also interestingly, the reason he has to do this is because he needs Sam, but because Fern is still the captain, Sam will only go f Fun goes, And that is important with where we leave the.
Speaker 2: Character that the SPA apparently has been built right on top of Captain Reynold's lair. And also there's some heightened security because the Banking Guild is meeting here and so they just want to make sure that there's no spies or people in disguise and that kind of stuff. Things immediately go left when a bounty hunter named Pocket played by the wonderful Kelly McDonald.
Speaker 5: Love Kelly McDonald of Boardwalk Empire, fame of.
Speaker 2: Train spotting fame, Wow, you name it.
Speaker 5: It's the British legend.
Speaker 4: Oh Marita from Brave Forget the absolutely, forget.
Speaker 5: The Boys acting.
Speaker 4: Also No Country for Old Men, No what an absolute legend. Also, she is in Tea two, which is the Transporting sequel, which you might think would suck, but actually quite good.
Speaker 2: Quite good, pretty good. She recognizes John as her former compatriot Dash Zenten. How many names.
Speaker 5: Does this man have now? I think you at least up to like almost double digit.
Speaker 2: And apparently when last she saw Dash, she was in a pit of leeches where Dash left her in some amount of distress, and she warns the kids don't trust this sliml oh classic hotees and saut that.
Speaker 5: So she's obviously spent some time with some hots.
Speaker 2: They get up to their room, which is luxurious, and the kids are like, holy shit, this is the nicest place.
Speaker 5: We've ever been.
Speaker 2: Jod is like, hey, we're here on business. And not only that, because Pocket just id'd me she's gonna be calling in the bounty, So like, we gotta we gotta get moving right now. We got to get the Renod's lair right now. There's no messing about. Meanwhile, and just as he thought, Pocket is calling in the bounty, she calls Brutus the captain the pirate Captain Wolfman. Captain Wolfman and the pirates are on their way. John and the kids split into two teams to search the spot to look for Reynaud's lair. They're looking for a specific symbol that Renod puts on stuff his personal brand. John, Neil and KB in one team, Fern, women sm and another group. Security finds Jod and immediately they're like, hey, are you dash Zenten or Professor whatever your name is?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, well I have a fake name you gave.
Speaker 2: That he tried to. They tried to check ins and they immediately go on the run. They're getting chased. Meanwhile, Fern and Whim go down into the grotto like the steam Grottos, Oh wow, where they find Renod's sign. And also they make the acquaintance of this huge squid guy named Cathollops, who I really enjoyed and I want mores. I thought he was great.
Speaker 5: Also really nice to see a little creature.
Speaker 4: A lot of the Mandalorian creature works stunning, but it's always been about conflict and fighting an animal and killing an animal.
Speaker 5: This was nice to see a little creature collaboration.
Speaker 2: I agree. When John, Neil and KB finally get down to the grottos to liaise with their other team, it turns out that Wim has told Cathollops the whole story. Cathollops is really into it. He loves the adventure, he loves a good tale. He sniffs John AND's like, don't trust this guy, but whatever, And then he smashes open the floor so our heroes can get down into Renodd's lair. Then, who has been there before, leads everybody through Reynaud's Maize, which is totally a.
Speaker 4: Goony's Yeah, I was gonna say so, Gooni's lots of booby traps, booby traversing the whole thing. Also can I just say I actually did go to a spa in this twenty twenty five the first month.
Speaker 5: Good for you, And I have to say that the grotto is real. They actually have those in the spa. They do go underground and you're being steamed in a grotto.
Speaker 4: Probably talking mud Wild had no idea, but my grotto sadly did not have.
Speaker 2: I want to say also that I love a spa. I love the self care, I love a grotto, I love a steam room, the whole thing. I think it's great. I get it.
Speaker 5: Catholops, Yeah, me too.
Speaker 4: Like that's a good place to works. If anyone wants to send us on that tri Vision spa, we'll take it. That's a good way to start twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: So the pirates are now on planet and they are hot on our friend's heels. Our heroes come to a chamber of acid. It's one of those escape room type puzzles. They figure out how to drain it. They look for Renaud's symbol and that is how they drain it.
Speaker 4: And it's a classic good Gooney's moment. Hey, you've got to solve a puzzle. The puzzle is what's the greatest sacrifice. The greatest sacrifice is not life, because we're not pirates don't care.
Speaker 5: It was treasure, and of course Jod.
Speaker 4: Magically force throws some old Republic coin into that and drains it.
Speaker 2: And it turns into like a draining, gross acid like toilet with a stairs.
Speaker 5: Love that.
Speaker 2: So as they go down the stairs, the pirates are there. They have to close it back up to keep the pirates at bay. And now they find themselves in Reynold's treasure room. Somewhere in this treasure room, hidden are the coordinates Atton disguised, Jod says, is a data port. It's going to be some hidden kind of data port. And so they look around, look around, look around. Neil finds the clue. It's what appears to be like a very fresh, freshly cooked, fresh out of the kitchen piece of like roast beef on a table of like rotten food. So they open that and boom, Captain Renod's journal appears and it's got the coordinates to a Atton and everything. John as sm play a video of Reynod, who quite notably you cannot see who he is.
Speaker 5: He's like, yes, I thought that was a very big thing. I'm like, is it.
Speaker 4: I don't see how it could be jawed, but it is feeling like there's some kind.
Speaker 5: Of like, whoever it is, it's gonna be important.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a it's gonna be a holy shit moment. You definitely get the feeling about that. And we learn also that at Aton is the location of the last run of coins from the Old Republic Treasury. The mint. Apparently they have the presses and stuff and they keeping they can keep making credits from the Old Republic and that's the location of the Old Republic Treasury. John is very very He then turns on the kids. He challenges Fern for the captaincy, saying I challenge you by right of pirates to single combat for captain c And he's like, and you can just yield, just yield, because otherwise I'm gonna have to fight you, and he holds a knife to her neck. It's a terrible moment. She eventually yields, and now sm follows. Jod Wim stands up to him and pulls out a lightsaber and he's like, that's it. I'm not gonna let you do this, and then he ignites the lightsaber and just as you would expect when a child who has zero training in the force, has never held a lightsaber, much less ignited one has fired a gun, but like badly ignites a lightsaber. He almost cuts his hand off, and he almost cuts his hand off, it like goes skittering across the floor. The kids trigger a trapdoor, they drop out of sight. They escape from Jod, who picks up the lightsaber with the force and ignites it in a very ominous fashion.
Speaker 5: And see, we don't get to see him ignite it, so they don't let us know that, Like.
Speaker 2: What color ism?
Speaker 5: Wow? A great episode. This show is just.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go to another word from our sponsors and then we'll come back and let's talk about this episode. And we're back. Okay, Rosie, First, what's up with John? We gotta talk about John.
Speaker 5: Talk about John. Let's talk about John.
Speaker 4: Okay, what are your top three like job theories? Like, what do you think is your most likely jog theory, your craziest job theory, and just like what you actually think John's doing.
Speaker 2: I do think Jod is a I think Jod is a former acolyte of the Jedi Temple who, for reasons unknown, has gone bad. I do think that he placed himself in that jail at the beginning of the season, hoping to pick up the thread that would lead him to add at and he knows too much about it. He knows it seems like there are definite connections. He seems to know all the players involved.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he definitely wanted to get back there.
Speaker 2: And it feels as if there's some sort of connection the fact that we didn't see who Captain Renaud is. You know, you wonder is he Captain Renaud and he can't remember?
Speaker 4: That's what I was gonna say, is that some kind of like is it that he doesn't remember that he is Captain Renaud?
Speaker 5: He has like some kind of you know, amnesia.
Speaker 4: That is a very classic storyline, and say, like a noir movie is the idea that you're searching for someone an incredible Mickey Mickey Rock movie Angel Heart, That's a big plot of the movie is like are you the villain? Can you just not remember the person you're? You're that you are the person you're searching for? So that's really interesting.
Speaker 2: Now, force or no, because I think that there is still certainly people in our discord are still on the fence about whether Jod is using. I would say, I think he is simply because they've made the sound this time.
Speaker 5: They made sound. I like that read. I will say J two seventeen makes a good point.
Speaker 4: He said, I'm thinking John's not even for sensitive every teleconnected trick. He pulled datapad, knife, saber. It was with the gloved hand I call magnets.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: I like this, But I will say there is another theory that I think is very interesting which is coming up in the which is that Jod is maybe the child of a Jedi or.
Speaker 5: Padawan who parents were killed.
Speaker 4: And josmick One made a great point that Jod is the Jim Hawkins parallel in the Treasure Island of it. Also, if he was a child of the Jedi padawan whose parents were killed and he joined the pirates, that would line up with Jim Hawkins story.
Speaker 5: And in a sense why it's a little bit rough, like his use is a little bit rough.
Speaker 2: I like that as well, because I think that whims reveal that he lost his mom seemed to be the thing that touched Jod, and Jod want to give him this advice, which is just kill your feelings, you know, and it seemed like they connected on some level Like that definitely.
Speaker 4: I also like this one from Kirkbride, which was like, could the concubine that stabbed Captain Renad in the back end up being Whim's mother because we never met her, we could end up in a situation where that's how they ended up on an in I think that one is cool. Also, j One had another good catch, which is the symbol for Captain Renaud looks like two lightning bolts, heavily stylized to look like the Aura Besh that surrounds it, and the Niil symbol, which is like a big group from the High Republic books, is three lightning bolts. So there's maybe they're trying to build in a Nihill connection here.
Speaker 5: I think that's very interesting.
Speaker 4: I'm interested because, and I will say Josmick also says he's not one hundred percent sold on at and still being a mint.
Speaker 5: I also feel.
Speaker 4: Like that might be like a halfway through the season fake out of what the treasure truly is.
Speaker 5: But it's definitely a really.
Speaker 4: Interesting notion, and it would fit into the way that this show has done such a good job of kind of expanding our understanding of the Force and the universe of Star Wars without having to try to be connected to something else. So if it really was just like it's a mint and that's why the pirates are looking for it, I think that's interesting. But I do still think there's a potential for a Kaiber mind or something that's a little bit more kind of legendary outside of pirate circles, So I'm very interested.
Speaker 5: What do I think about Jod. I think this is the.
Speaker 4: Heel turn that we knew Jod was going to have to have, like it was always coming at some point, but it did still hit really hard. I think Jude Law is a gem in this, and I think it's wild that he is not getting award nods because I just think he's so good and such a perfect balance of like smarmy he could turn his back on you at any moment, but also charming and cares about the kids a little bit. I think that he will eventually help save the kids. That is kind of what the lore of these kind of stories tells me and what I expect from the character. I hope he's Force sensitive, because we did talk in the discord about I like Force users who just love the Force and aren't necessy really trained in it. So, say a Chiru from Rogue One is like one of my favorite Force users who in a time where Jedi was more accessible, obviously would have been a Jedi potentially, but he still had this deep connection to the Force, and I think those kind of relationships to it are really interesting. Obviously we both love the Last Jedi. You have that kind of democratic promise of the Force at the end. So I hope he's a Force user, but I'm not gonna lie this episode specifically. When I was rewatching it, I was like, oh, everything that he does the Force with is metal, Like it really feels very specific.
Speaker 2: It is true that said, I think the philosophy part is so like so it is so the Jedi Manual. Yeah, it's definitely not the stuff that they tell you that they just tell people off the street. You know what you actually it may sound bad, you get the Yeah, you definitely have to be indoctrinated and kind of go quite a ways down the path to start getting that kind of absolutely attachment material. So I and then the Qui Gungean court, I.
Speaker 4: Do get that to me feels very he at least was in a family where Jedis were talking about it because also or that could add to the at In law, because if Jod was actually from a Aten originally or had been there before, we know that on a at In there are these stories of great Jedi and that stuff gets shed.
Speaker 5: I also like this one that.
Speaker 4: Was s JK, who's one of my most prolific discord users, was saying, like, what if the supervisor is the pirate behind the curtain? So what Captain Renaud is the supervisor? Also another good call here, what if Captain Renaud.
Speaker 5: Is a droid? Could be another reason to hide its form.
Speaker 4: Also, I will say, what if Captain Renaud is Whim's mum and that's why we think she's dead and really she's a supervisor.
Speaker 5: I like woman pirate. I love a.
Speaker 4: Pirate, very historically accurate. Lots of famous female pirates, and that could be another reason I think the most are even though with all the job questions, I do think the most intriguing little seasoning they added on this episode was not showing Captain Renaud's face. We're all gonna be thinking about that now, like what does it mean?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 4: As Neil said, why, what's wrong with the picture blessed Neil, I love you.
Speaker 5: I'm so glad you're still here.
Speaker 4: Big what are your big predictions coming out of this episode as we moved towards the end of the season.
Speaker 2: My big predictions are, there's gonna be I do like some version of Captain renaud Is Whim's mom was WiM's mom. H it's some kind of shocking reveal about the parents. Maybe they were.
Speaker 4: Like maybe they they were pirates and then they settled down on at Actin to kind of start like a and that's why it's so extremely suburban and safe in this kind of rejection of the reality of what it's like to live in the galaxy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, And and it feels like something like that, like these are these are pirates who went straight or teamed up with refugees from the Old Republic. It's some kind of deal to protect them, knowing that the other that the other jewels of the Old Republic were falling or falling apart. But it does feel like, you know, obviously that there's other mysteries to be revealed. I do think that gosh, now I'm now, I'm I don't know if John is forced. I do think the sound I really do think sound is very significant. That said, I also think that there's a world in which Jod knowing a lot being a Jedi subject nerd being a nerd about it has allowed him to fake being a Jedi more uh more effectively because he just like knows all the shit, all the stuff, knows all the tricks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't see where it goes me too.
Speaker 4: I will also say last point of Jod's force sensitivity, it's.
Speaker 5: Like he does.
Speaker 4: He does have a lot of aliases and has tricked a lot of people over the years, and if you have a little force sensitivity that could help. But I would also say, then why is he not Jedi mind tricking everyone who recognizes him now because he's getting recognized too much.
Speaker 5: I'm interested, Jude Law, we don't Jog Law. Jode Nick Law, we don't deserve you.
Speaker 4: You have really truly elevated this show to a wonderful, intriguing pirate mystery, and I'm asu.
Speaker 2: On Thursday's episode of Extra Vision, we're diving into our most anticipated things from twenty twenty five. The upcoming calendary of twenty twenty five and Friday will be recapping season one and two of what If. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 5: Bye Bye.
Speaker 2: X ray Vision is hosted by Jesus and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 4: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Laude, Kenny Goodman and Heidi Our disco moderata