Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio, Studios, Podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is live from the heart of Silicon Valley with ed Larbow in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up. All eyes on in Video reporting earnings this week, and markets are mixed. As Bloomberg reports in Video customers have been notified about price hikes. Plus SoftBank plans a record six point three billion dollar retail bond sale, the biggest by any issuer in Japan, to raise funds for its investment commitments to open AI, and Ali Barber's raised ten point two billion dollars in what was Hong Kong's biggest follow on offering to take the lead in the global AI race. Let's get right to our top story. Bloomberg reporting over the weekend that in Nvidia based AI servers are about to get more expensive. Server makers are telling data center customers the prices are going up more than fifteen percent in some cases, according to sources who have seen those communications. The reason soaring memory costs. Sources say the increases hit systems containing in Video's Blackwell and next generation Virorubin platforms. Hikes expected on shipments starting in early twenty twenty seven. How are markets reacting? Very simply? AI infrastructure stocks are falling in Nvidia is down significantly. A seventh straight job is longest losing streak September twenty twenty two. In Vidia earnings Wednesday. Bloomber's Carmen Rhinikey here with markets and Carmen, what is driving investor sentiment towards this space right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we're seeing a lot of selling pressure here and there's just so much caution I think baked into this space. We've seen so much volatility in the AI trade overall, and in Vidia is the king maker here right So a seventh losing day that's the longest streak, as you said, since twenty twenty two. Heading into earnings on Wednesday, people are worried here about peak earning. Memory costs are high, in Vidia's you know, looking like it's not absorbing those as passing them on to customers. There are big questions sort of outstanding about all of the financing that it's put into the market lately, and investors really just want to hear more about what the future is of the artificial intelligence trade.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 3: I think can more and more concerns coming online that you know this could be the peak.
Speaker 2: Our market's team leads its wrap with this idea that price is going up for in Vidia based servers. Is something in the market. Wednesday is the mega event, right, the macro level event that is one company's quarterly earnings. How a market's kind of preparing for that.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's such a huge deal, right, So in Nvidia is still the largest stock in the S and P five hundred in the Nasdaq, It's the largest stock in the market. It commands a major amount of weight, and how it moves can move the entire market. The thing that's really interesting here is that earnings have not been a positive catalyst for Nvidia stock for quite some time. So you think it's the last. We're out of five earnings reports. The shares have actually fallen after results, even though they've been strong. What investors are really looking at is the sentiment around this reports. You know what CEO Jensen Wong says about the market going forward, If they're seeing demand, financing questions are going to come in. I'm sure there'll be questions around these price hikes as well. So a lot of that sentiment. It's really what is the next wave of the artificial intelligence trend. That's what's going to be most important for investors coming up, and you know it's going to affect other parts of the AI infrastructure trade as well. You know, we're seeing the memory stocks falling today as well. Those are the biggest laggards on the S and P and the NASDAC that's really important.
Speaker 2: The most common rhyanikey with a preview of everything's come this week, that is in Vidia, Thank you very much. Let's get more on the report than video systems could see a price hike of fifteen percent. So I'm a Leopold Managing director of Data Infrastructure at Raymond. James joins us. Now, this reporting is based on the OEMs, the server makers going to customers and saying this is what we see happening in the new year, fifteen percent hike in some cases on Blackwell and Reuben systems. Just to start your reaction to that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not surprised by It's It's been very clear that the cost of memory has been increasing. We have observed and heard the large hyperscale operators forecasting higher capital spending budgets, and the biggest driver for that has been the cost of memory. So there really should be very little surprised. As a matter of fact, given the percentage increase in the cost of memory and the amount of memory required in these AI platforms, fifteen percent really doesn't seem all that demanding when we consider the amount of spending.
Speaker 2: Each Blackwell and Reuben GPU has eight corresponding HBM stacks, which in turn out twelve layers of d RAM fifteen percent. Could you see that going high as Simon with that in mind.
Speaker 5: Well, I think it's possible. The challenge is is we don't know what Nvidia built into the prior pricing, so there's a lot we don't know at this point. Recall that Jensen one has said repeatedly that they predicted that the amount of memory they need two years ago, so they've been working unlocking and supply they've formed these long term agreements with the.
Speaker 2: Multiple suppliers of memory.
Speaker 5: So there's a significant amount of detail we simply don't know. The other factor you have to consider here is the published prices may go up by fifteen percent, but that doesn't mean contracted prices are reflecting that same amount.
Speaker 2: What remains is that demand is running ahead of industry's ability to supply right, And I think back to your note on August eleventh that was in response to the deal when Video did with those six Wall Street firms to be conduits to third party capital. Inevitably, Jensen, one is going to get questions on setular financing, right, just your current downcing about inevitably you're current thinking of the underpinnings of what's paying for all of this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have to be clear on this point because this is among the bigger concerns for investors, is this concept of circular financing or vendor financing. And so the consortium that was announced with groups like Black Blackstone, Blackrock, Apollo KKR, it shifts the risk, it shifts it off of Nvidia's balance sheet elsewhere, and that is most appropriate. But to be clear, I don't love circular financing. But let's look through this in the eyes of Nvidia. Nvidia is generating roughly a billion dollars of free cash flow every two days. They have a responsibility to put the cash on their balance sheet to work. And if they're big believers in AI like we are, and I'm sure they are, why not invest in the AI opportunities. So sort of the classic eating your own dog food. I think the optics of circular financing, that is, putting money into your customers to buy your product. It's not a great look. I totally get that, but in Vidia has to put its cash to work. I think what would soften the blow for investors and make the investment community feel better is to see in Nvidia being more aggressive in buying back its own stock, and you expect them to do that, I do. I want to talk about the distinction between depreciation and the economic lifetime of a GPU because right now what I see is lots of in video executives posting on social media about Vera Rubin being.
Speaker 2: In full production. At the same time, like that KKR Blackrock deal, they're trying to sell that this is a highly utilizes cash flow generating asset for every years to come on older obsolete generations. How can both of those things be true at the same time.
Speaker 5: I think they can be true because of the way the market evolves that the most leading edge applications, the most demanding, will require the newest generation of accelerator, and in order to be efficient, in order to have the best profitability, one wants to utilize the most leading edge tool because it will be more efficient, basically, fewer tokens pulled. However, we've seen that the older generations, the ampiers, the hoppers, are still being used, and so what we're observing is the market's broadening in that the most leading edge applications, the most demanding applications, will require the newest generation, but the older GPUs, the older accelerators have useful lives that could extend many years.
Speaker 2: Some of many of your industry colleagues, including our team at Bloomberg Intelligence, expect to hear something about China. Does it matter to you if Nvidia can sell some kind of GPU into the Chinese market.
Speaker 5: Honestly, not really because even if there is incremental sales into China, I think we'll look through it and it's the idea that, well, next quarter they could be shut down and cut off. So it's not a predictable stream of revenue, so I think it will be discounted.
Speaker 2: It's not a bad thing, but because of.
Speaker 5: The unpredictability of ongoing China business, it will be discounted by analysts.
Speaker 2: Really enjoyed this conversation to start the week. So i'mon Leopool, Managing director at Raymond James, thank you very much. Indeed, I want to take a look at shares of Paramount, Skuidance and Warner Brothers Discovery after Rob Bonter, California's Attorney General called off a meeting with Paramount that was scheduled to happen today. The New York Times, reporting the age, accused Paramount of leaking details of a meeting the parties held on Friday. Today's meeting was meant to discuss a settlement of the state's lawsuit seeking to block the merger between Paramount and Warner Brothers Discovery. There was more movement in the stocks in pre market, kind of more muted and faded in the actual session. Ali Barber raises ten billion dollars in a record Hong Kong share sale. Coming out, we'll have the details of that raise and what it says about China's AI efforts US. Next, this is Bloomberg Tech. Let's take a look at today's big number. Ten point two billion dollars. That's how much Ali Barber's raised in what was Hong Kong's biggest follow on offering. The EU Commace giant turned AI player looking to outspend and outrun Chinese rivals. The shares, which were priced at raffia three and a half percent discount to Friday's clothes on the US listed shares, attracted institutional demand of almost three times offering. According to sources, The company shares closed down in Hong Kong roughly eight point five percent. Let's get more on what the race says about the global AI race. Riinbo Tech editor in DC Mike Shephard a follow on just being going to the markets for an already publicly traded company that Ali Baba needs capital.
Speaker 6: What they want to do with it, Well, they need capital just like all the other big AI.
Speaker 2: Companies around the world.
Speaker 6: And Ali Baba, ed, it's interesting compared to its Chinese competitors, has been willing to spend. They have pledged to put fifty six point five billion dollars over the next three years toward the infrastructure that it will need and then includes chips, that includes data centers, and then includes other material that will be needed to keep their models running. And it has been paying off for them.
Speaker 7: Ed.
Speaker 6: When you look at the most recent rankings that were released about ten days ago by Hugging Face, Ali Baba's.
Speaker 2: Were at the top.
Speaker 6: They had more than three billion downloads globally, and that put them far ahead of their Chinese competitors that we've been talking about Deep Seek and Moonshot, but also against their US rivals that includes Meta and Google. So they are trying to lay the groundwork for them to be able to compete globally but also in the internal market.
Speaker 2: There it's not as big as what some of the US let's say HYPERSCDE is committed to. But we also going on this program about ali Baba probably being most analogous with Amazon. You know, it has e commerce roots and now a massive cloud computing division where it has the mainstay of AI activity. Just describe the company to us.
Speaker 6: Well, they really are diversified and when we were talking about ali Baba just a few years ago, we were really thinking of it as that online retail powerhouse. But just like Amazon, and we've heard Andy Jassey talk about their pushing the chips even they are trying to spread their wings and spread into a lot of other areas and that includes cloud computing. And they have also backed some of these companies that we're also seeing as AI developers. Mini Max and Moon have also gotten an injection of support from Ali Baba as well as a way of trying to diversify their holdings and their resources. So they are really in a lot of ways looking at AI as the next frontier and also something that they can integrate into other platforms. If you think about AI and the way that Amazon is trying to integrate it for its users, for its consumers, it's really in essential and it is also something that it can sell then as a cloud computing platform to other customers too.
Speaker 2: Chef is a quick sidebar to the main Ali Baba story. We saw leadership management participate in offering by shares. What do we need to know?
Speaker 6: Well, I thought that was so interesting too. We looked at the shares dropping in trading earlier today in Hong Kong. It might have raised some questions, well what does that mean about appetite overall? But they are putting skin in the game, and that is chairman and one of the co founders, Josi He bought the US equivalent of ten million dollars of shares and Eddie Wu, the CEO of Ali Barble, brought about five million dollars of shares. So they are really putting their own skin in the game, and they are trying to make sure that they are giving their own personal sign of support to this offering to signal to other investors that they're in it too.
Speaker 2: Bloombergs, Mike Shepherd, thank you very much. Let's stick in Asia. SoftBank is fanning the biggest retail bond sale by an issuer in Japan. It's seeking to raise a record one trillion yen or about six point three billion US dollars, in part to fund its investment commitments to Open AI. Sharon Chen from Bluemeg Intelligence out with a react that says the sale will test retail investor interests amid concerns over both soft banks growing AI spending but its exposure to open AI as well. Sharon Chen FROMBI joins us. Now, I want to start with the basics on Japanese retail bond market, like why this is a significant story soft Bank using that mechanism and testing that market.
Speaker 8: Yep, hi ed, thanks for having me so. I mean, as you just pointed out, it's the record bond deal for this market and soft Bank. What's interesting is that the company actually has very good access to the retail bond market. It is the leading issuer in this market. And it has strong brand recognition and also offers higher yields, so to as evidence of that, you know, earlier in the years, already tapped the market twice and raised the equivalent of about four billion dollars in hybrid notes. So and the other thing is it is actually offering lower cost funding for soft Bank, So if you swap it back into US dollar it's still significantly cheaper than if the company had to issue US dollar bonds.
Speaker 2: So for soft Bank, the cost of capital is like a big factor. But what like, what are the other motivations for them to do this? And I guess for the tech and credit desk that you're on, do we see them coming back to this market?
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 8: So this brings me to the company's funding shortfall. So we calculate that it probably still needs another at least twenty billion dollars even after disbond deal, and after it raised about ten billion dollars from an open AI backed margin loan, So that's quite a sizeable amount, and a lot of that well, it's mainly coming from a forty billion dollar bridge loan that matures in March, and that was raised mainly to fund the commitment to open AI, so yes, we do expect further fundraising from the company. This could come in the form of the US dollar Euro bond market issuance. But also the company has you know, a large portfolio of tech stocks, the largest being ARMED, so I think it can leverage that portfolio, so for example upsizing an ARM backed margin loan or selling down some of its minority stakes in companies such as Intel.
Speaker 2: Is there investor demand to support SoftBank.
Speaker 8: It depends which market you're talking about. I mentioned the retail yen bond market and how it has proven its ability to access that market. Now in the offshore bond market, actually it's bonds are trading quite wide, and I think it faces quite weak technical support because it is the second largest offshore bond issue from Japan excluding the banks. So, you know, being a high company that is quite a large amount of debt outstanding, and I think supply is also a concern for investors.
Speaker 2: Sharon Chen from Bluemeg Intelligence staying up late for us in Singapore is super grateful, Thank you very much. I want to get over to New York where BLOOMBOTIAIRA and is standing by with many more tech stories out of Asia. How you hire.
Speaker 9: Exactly, and that's the focus. In talking tech first that by Dance is challenging AI rivals like ten Cents by consolidating the resources behind two of its AI developer products to bolster China's most popular tappot. Sources say the team behind the coding platform Trey and agent building tool Cozy are being merged into Dubao plus. Fast fashion giant Chian is seeking to raise as much as one point eight billion dollars in its long awaited Hong Kong ipo. The retailer is offering two hundred and eighty million shares forty nine to fifty Hong Kong dollars each, giving the firm a market cap of just under twenty seven billion dollars. It's a sharp drop from its peak value. And Tesla and at least eight other automakers in China are recalling millions of cars over safety concerns regarding door handles, which have led to multiple fatalities and vehicle entrapments. Four million cars are a part of this crackdown, with Tesla accounting for nearly three million of those.
Speaker 2: Ed Okay, thank you, Hira. The Trump administration is proposing adding a new fee the H one B work is haired within the US, disrupting hiring plan for many employers. The fee of a little over one hundred thousand dollars would apply to all petitions for H one B workers subject to an annual statutory CAB, including those with master's degrees, and would generate eight point eight billion dollars annually according to the Department of Homeland Security. Now coming up, Apples cutting jobs to focus on new devices and artificial intelligence. We've got the details. Next, this is Bloomberg Tech. Apple's cutting jobs across teams responsible for the Siri digital assistant and the Vision Pro headset, or this part of an effort to focus on new devices and on artificial intelligence. Bloombog's Mark German, who leads our coverage of Apple, broke this story Friday, But I want to recap it. This is just reprioritizing, right Mark, What are the details of the report you put out?
Speaker 10: Yeah, So Apple's cutting jobs in three central areas. One team the Vision Pro team, so the group called VPG responsible for the headset. The second is SERI in the third is a team called Intelligent Systems Experiences, which really comes down to integrating AI features through the operating system and services. So let me start with the Vision Pro. This is more of your traditional layoff where they're cutting teams and scaling back things in this particular area. So they had a team working on gaming initiatives for the Vision Pro. That team has been completely dismantled and laid off. The second is their Immersive Video group. This is the team making virtual reality videos for the Vision Pro.
Speaker 2: One of the top selling points. They're scaling that back.
Speaker 10: They're cutting jobs there, they're cutting investments there, and they are going to drastically reduce the number of videos they produce in house for the Vision Pro, instead pushing that off to third parties. For Siri in the Intelligent Systems Experience team, that's part of the Software Engineering organization, they're cutting jobs there as well to open up roles for people who can work on the new underlying infrastructure for Serie AI. So looking to develop faster, looking to bring in talent that is more specific towards that new infrastructure for that new Voice assistant and their upgraded Apple Intelligence which launches this fall for the first time.
Speaker 2: I also really enjoyed this Weekend's power on. What you were writing about is the idea of Apple's foldable phone and how this products could bring some magic back to the Apples story. You've been pulling on your experience with Samsung's foldable, You've been thinking about what you know the details of the Apple foldable. What can you tell us?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, I'm pretty pumped for the foldable phone. I think it's going to do particularly well for Apple in China as a status symbol. You know, the amount of people who use foldable phones globally is not high. It's about one and a half percent of a global phone market is foldable phones, but it's actually double that in China, right, So the vast majority of foldable phones in use in the world are in China. So that's I'm going to be pretty successful for Uple there, I believe. But I'm really into the size of it. I'm really into how you have this small thing that can fit in your pocket and you open it up and it's about the size of an iPad Mini. So all in all, pretty pumped for this new device and looking forward to getting my hands on it in just a few weeks.
Speaker 2: Every Sunday, Mark publishes power On and I really recommend you subscribe and read it. Packed full of detail. Bloomberg's Mark Guman, thank you very much. Indeed now coming up as in video reports earnings this week. It's also facing pressure from new competitors, with some of the details in the AI chip race coming up next again. The stock under pressure, down for a seventh straight session, worst run of decline since twenty twenty two. This is what markets look like broadly and astacks down. It is chip stocks that are leading US lower. Bitcoin at almost eighty thousand dollars a token. We've got more on that soon. Halftime. This is Bloomberg Tech. Okay, welcome back to Bloomberg Tech. Markets are treading water a little bit, but we're seeing some severe declines in the chip makers that are leading US lower overall. There is that Bloomberg report over the weekend that some of the server makers have told in video customers to expect price hikes into the new year. We also have some breaking news that I believes crossing the Bloomberg terminal. The US is set to impose a seven point five percent tariff on Chinese goods over allegations of excess manufacturing capacity. That's before a planned summit between Jijingping and Donald Trump next month. According to sources, the move would restore Trump's second term duties on China to around twenty percent, a level Beijing's previously said is consistent with its trade ruts with Washington. Those comme on top of other levees imposed during Trump's first term and then extended during the Biden administration. I'm looking for some market reaction. If we get any, we'll bring it to you and Videos earnings on Wednesday are likely to serve as a reminder of the company's commanding position in the aichi sector, but it's facing pressure from new competitors, startups and big tech alike, including some of its own customers. Bloomberg's AI infrastructure report Adena bass is with Us just a fascinating read, and you open with the case study of Amazon right in this boast almost that Amazon has now regularly that it's becoming one of the biggest chip makers in Vidia's world's changing. Bring us the reporting.
Speaker 11: Sure look in Video is still by far the dominant player in the AI chip market. But there's a few things that are going on here. One, no customer can get enough in VideA GPUs, so they're looking for any viable alternatives that they can find. Two, the market in terms of AI workloads is increasingly shifting to inference workloads the running of the models rather than the training of the models.
Speaker 2: That's an area where Invidia.
Speaker 11: Has less of a lock and where it's useful to have different types of inference chips for you know, that are better at different tasks. And you're also actually seeing a resurgence around agentic AI workloads of the CPU, which you know was basically for a long time ill favored for AI tasks. And so so those are some of the things that are changing. Apart from Amazon, Google, we're seeing a you know, surge in fundings of AI chip startups. Last week we saw etched announced that they've quadrupled their valuation since December. Bloomberg reported a company out of UK called Fractile is raising now also at evaluation that's five or six fold where they were raising, you know.
Speaker 12: Just half a year ago.
Speaker 2: And the frontier labs are looking at their own silicon. You had a report on Friday that Anthropic has brought in a veteran of the industry to kind of oversee its own push into hardware. Who are we talking about? What do we need to know?
Speaker 11: Sure Anthropic confirmed to us on Friday that they've hired Amir Salek, who was a founder of the TPU program at Google. Also ran the TPU program for a number of years before leaving Google a couple of years ago. For you know, a private equity firm, you know, one of the clearest signs that a company is looking at doing its own custom Silicon is watching the hiring and order at chips are expensive, they require a lot of patients and a lot of expertise, and when you see a company start to staff up on people that have done this before, it's an indication that they are getting serious. Nanthropic has, because of these job listings over the last few weeks, finally confirmed that they are looking at this, that they are doing this. Open Ai is already further along, you know, having unveiled their Jalopenio chip, which they will talk about more tomorrow at the Hot Ships conference Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Stina best, thank you so much. Let's stick with Nvidia City Index Financial Market Senior Fionness and Coodo joins us. And you know it's a week where in Wednesday we have Nvidia's quarterly earnings and on Friday we have Jackson Hole, and lots of people in markets with debate which is the bigger event. Let's say it's in Vidia, which is bigger for you? Do you know what?
Speaker 13: I think in Vidia is going to be extremely important.
Speaker 14: I mean, it does feel like the AI trade has sort of been a little bit on the back burner recently. It hasn't been front and central, and I think n video earnings will bring this very much back to a clear firm focus for the markets. But obviously, as we know, you know, this not only affects Nvidia. This these earnings affect risk sentiment more broadly and impact sort of you know, the wider indices, the S and P five hundred than NASAK. So I think as far as that's concerned, it is going to be really key. Obviously, expectations are high, the bar is high, but we've got, as you mentioned, Jackson Hull. I think we may be disappointed by Jackson Holl given that Fred chair Wash tends to be a little more has been less in favor of giving out forward guidance.
Speaker 13: So I think we might find the.
Speaker 14: Actual amount of information we get from him maybe too limited.
Speaker 2: The expectation on Wall Streets and video will have sales ninety two to ninety five billion dollars. They will double adjusted earnings from the same period a year ago. But those are just numbers. What is it Nvidia has to say to keep the market believing in this story.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, the numbers are expected to be good. The bar is high.
Speaker 14: Even forward guidance is going to be very key, expecting to succeed a one hundred billion for the first time. And I think what's actually going to be key here is the level of AI demand. You know, we want to see that data center spending by these sort of AI hyperscalers is continuing to grow at a level that is supportive of valuation. So, I mean, we know that the share price has come off the record high slightly, but it's still up a good eighteen percent across the year, well ahead of the S and P five hundred. So you know, we're going to need to see that the demand is accelerating at a level that is supportive of that share price.
Speaker 2: How worried are you and your clients about the issue of circular financing.
Speaker 14: It's definitely I worry that sort of looms in the background. I think you know what we see is when we get some solid results, that often tends to just push those concerns away a little bit, and when the deals start coming through that raises more puts more focus back onto that circular financing story. Then that can just raise those concerns over the bubbles story. But I think at the end of the day that you know, we know that the AI narrative is very strong, we know that it does bring some real world use, and therefore this isn't necessarily a bubble in the terms that we've seen it previously.
Speaker 13: But I do also think that you know, these earnings.
Speaker 14: Are going to be watched very closely in order to make sure that that can sort of smooth over any of those concerns.
Speaker 2: We're just showing a chart that you know, video heads into the print with a pretty low multiple. Not just remind the audience that the stockdown for a seventh straight session, worst run of declines or matching the runner decline. It's sore in September twenty twenty two. Where's the potential upside from video? What can gentsenmong say that gets everyone you thoric again?
Speaker 14: I think it's just that idea that the demand is growing fast enough to value to justify valuation. That is what the market is going to be very very focused on because you need to be able to decide that forward earnings are going to be growing at a level that suits the share price, and that's what the market will want to see.
Speaker 2: How interested are you and bitcoin at the moment, we're tracking data on ETF flows, biggest in about ten months. Anyone in your world really looking at it.
Speaker 14: It's definitely showing signs of revival. I mean, it's been a very slow few months as far as our client's concerned and as Bitcoin is concerned. But I think, you know, we are starting to see potential for the stars aligning. You know, as you mentioned, ETF flows are returning. We've seen the strongest ETF week last week of inflows since October. You've seen this idea of sort of potential of improving liquidity expectations due to the comments from the US Treasury Department and their support of the bond market.
Speaker 13: And then you've also got this idea of.
Speaker 14: Potentially lower regulatory risk premium, which is also supportive. So it does feel that there are several factors which are lining up now to support bitcoin. We obviously saw that short squeeze last week. What's going to be really key now is to see whether we can see this actually extend games on buying rather than the short squeeze, and I think that's going to come down to core PCE. It's also going to come down to what we get from Federal Reserve Chair Wash on Friday.
Speaker 13: If anything.
Speaker 2: Fionis and CODI City Index financial market senior analyst setting us up for the week, Thank you very much. Indeed, let's take a look at trade dot xyz, a little known market built on top of crypto exchange hyper Liquid, which allows speculators to buy and sell blockchain based oil derivatives continuously, even when traditional markets are closed. The platforms generated some five hundred billion dollars in trading volume since launching in October. Bloomberg's Moahshen is here to tell us more about it. Really interesting story. Let's start with the basics, the concept of perps, hyper liquid and everything else that we need to understand. Yeah.
Speaker 15: Sure, so, proposor swap are a type of features contracts that do not expire, and hyperloquit is a trading platform with this namesake blockchain where it allows traders to trace such products.
Speaker 2: There is a push to bring hyper liquid to the US. Like if you look at the headline twenty four to seven markets of great interest to all kinds of parts of the Bloomberg audience, explain that push.
Speaker 15: So basically what's happening is that because the traditional markets are usually close over the weekends, where you know, most people cannot really look at or have an idea where the market is going to be at when during the weekends, especially when there's like breaking news. So places like have hyper liquid provide a platform where people can get an idea where market is going to be when it opens on Monday. I think the idea is that, like, you don't want that kind of market remains offshore outside the US, right because currently hyper Liquid or trade x y z are not like open in the US. So I think bringing these type of markets on shore to the US is very important, especially you know Wall Street is based here in the States.
Speaker 2: Part of your reporting is that trade x y z is out there lobbying regulators. What's the argument that they're making.
Speaker 15: I think the main argument is that I think they're only show that how important it is. Especially I think you have a platform where you can trade futures contracts tied to stocks or you know, things like pre ipo. These are all happened in the US, but you know these platforms that are only out allowed outside of the US. So just I think logically speaking, for these people, it just don't make a lot of sense. So I think there are a lot of pushing regulators, I think to be more innovative and to allow these kind of like markets to be legally offered here in the States.
Speaker 2: Bloombergs are shamed with the story thank you very much. Now coming up as South Korean AI startup aims to create K pop robot idols backed by industry veterans like g Dragon. Got the details. Next, this is bloombag Tech. The AI boom is royaling not only South Korea's markets, but it's cultural industries. Here's a look at one entertainment startup that is not only embracing AI but betting robot idols at the future of K pop. Bloomberg Asia entertainment reporters, So he can't reports from.
Speaker 7: Soul as much as Samsung and sk Heinis have thrown South Korean markets into the spotlight this year. Worldwide popularity of groups like BTS and Black pink shows like Squeaking and beloved romantic dramas have been an economic boon long before the meteoric rise of large language models. Music films, video games, and other Korean cultural industries generated over one hundred and thirteen billion dollars in revenue last year and more than fifteen billion dollars in exports. They employ about six hundred and ninety thousand workers, more than double the combined number at the Memory to Giants. South Korea's entertainment sector has grown more experimental and ambitious as competition intensifies. One startup looking to disrupt K pop's traditional idol system is Galaxy Corporation. It's looking to blend AI characters and life sized robot idols to create content without the limitations of human performers. CEO Cholo says they are not looking to replace people, but create up.
Speaker 16: Robots can learn everything at once and immediately perform it for people, whereas it might take a person a month or two to learn the same material. The time savings are enormous, and it all happen simultaneously. Once the training is complete, there's no need to do it again, so we can immediately have a robot trainee debut in New York. It doesn't require the three, five or ten years of preparation that humans need. That's how AI is changing everything.
Speaker 7: Galaxy was founded in twenty nineteen and started as a TV production studio behind the Netflix hit Physical one hundred. Its current roster includes K pop superstar Jed Dragon after Songkang Wu from the film Parasite, and San Francisco Giants right builder Lito. Galaxy has now opened a sixteen thousand, five hundred square meter robot park and Seoul, where visitors can interact with around fifty different types of robots. Toy plans to open new robot team parks in other major cities, including Dubai, and run a robot idol tour from next year. Among its partners is Unitry, China's first publicly traded humanoid maker, Parly owner mom.
Speaker 16: Even if the hardware the robot is made in China, combining it with software made in Korea and joining forces to go global holds great significance. Above all, I believe these robots will become part of people's lives as new relations are released, including special editions of their favorite celebrities that they can collect.
Speaker 7: While Galaxy is showcasing one of the first real world use cases for these robots. Toy says discussions on global guidelines need to take place.
Speaker 12: Lead hire Man.
Speaker 16: AI is al ready part of our lives. What's somewhat disappointing, though, is that we don't yet have global guidelines that match its development, whether that means global laws, systems to protect against risk, or security frameworks. The same wave is now coming with physical AI, and we must not make the same mistakes again. We need to establish global guidelines to ensure that robots do not harm our lives.
Speaker 7: Galaxy is now preparing for what could be the first major receis listings by a K pop agency, with the goal to file for an IPO in New York and solved by in late next year. The company has raised about one hundred and fifty million dollars so far and is targeting an overseas pre ip around this year.
Speaker 2: Well Let's planned.
Speaker 7: Debute will be a test of whether the next generation of entertainment companies creates next stars or codes them. Soy Kim Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: News Soul something Else. AI is rewriting applicants, resumes and the face of picture perfect AI generated or edited CVS. Recruiters are turning traditional techniques to sift through candidates. Bloomberg's finance editor in London, Tom Metcalf, joins us with the story, Well, that's a problem every single resume on a recruiter's desk being perfect. How do they work out what's legit and what's not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, effectually they're going back to the old ways. I suppose there's a great quote in this story about how frankly, if you don't know someone, you know, an actual person at the company you're applying for, you know, in many cases it is almost not worth applying for. And you know, this goes back to those skills that you know, generation and generation have always said of the most key like networking, making sure you know it's not you know, you actually produce those results. And what's interesting and really is just you know, the shit quantity of basically, as you say, pitch perfect applications.
Speaker 2: That they're coming through.
Speaker 4: So and it's that paradox as well, right like every company these days, once people with AI skills for the RN ears is those who are deploy them in their applications. That's actually in some way almost punishing applicants because no one can you know, distinguish or discern them.
Speaker 2: Right In the AI era, there are some telltale signs like AI slot video generated from AI and in text if you're confronted with a CV, that's that's the result of AI.
Speaker 4: How do you know, well as a few kind of keywords which you don't think we can all probably recognize, like trusted right hand. You know, it's that slight sense of the uncanny, which I'm sure we've all had, you know, on emails, but it's almost like two perfect right, And that's really that's sort of I guess the crux of the problem is, you know, one of the most traditionally useful ways you know, companies could you know, distinguish between people is now effectively redundant. In finance, something like eighty four percent of all applications now are run through AI, so effective to that huge kind of baseline, and you know, the applicants who can kind of succeed that are basically the ones of the human skills and the ones who kind of really really craft kind of an individual CV rather than one, you know, through a machine.
Speaker 2: Is there some kind of great employer clamped down to push back against this or at least try and discern you know, the real person behind a CV.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, look, it's a reliance on those sort of tests, those assessments. Yeah, so effectively everything's probably becoming more involved. And you know the other thing they do, which is a really interesting debate there is like you know, they're looking for any size that has been AI generator, which might cut out a whole bunch of applicants. And yeah, if eighty four percent the people are kind of relying on AI, you know, they've got to all think of ways you know that they don't get cut in the first could just because you know, quite intelligently they're using the tools available to them do both.
Speaker 2: So metcarp in London, thank you so much for joining us. Now coming up, we're going to back to Nvidia as investors prepare for the super Bowl of earning seasons. Stock down two percent, down for a seventh straight day. Who have the details? This is Bloomberg Tech. Let's get back to the stock everyone will be watching this week in video shares right now down two percent, on track for a seventh straight day of declines. Earnings print Wednesday after the market closed, Bloomberg Equities report around for Steicas with us. This is it treading water is probably not the right phrase, but all focus this week will be on Nvidia.
Speaker 12: Yeah, this is going to be a very important test for people to really gauge the temperature of the AI trade as it stands right now. I don't know how much people are really expecting in Nvidia to really turn around the whole market and really lift centiment here, but certainly it is sort of the major company in the industry. Everyone's going to be watching it. Everyone wants to know what is it seeing as far as its outlook. What is it going to say about demand, about pricing, about all the components that are out there that build up this AI infrastructure. We've got some pretty positive reads from the hyperscalers in terms of their commitment to spending, but now we really want to see the main supplier of AI chips. What do they have to say about where things are going from here.
Speaker 2: Let's get stock specific, and Media is up thirteen percent year to date, slightly outperforming the S and P five hundred. It's down for a seven straight session, so going into the print, we're looking at a pretty low multiple ahead of the results. Where does the stock sit right now, well, yeah.
Speaker 12: You said seven straight days in the negative. I believe that's the longest since twenty twenty two. So this is certainly an interesting kind of setup for the stock right here.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 12: When I talk to people about what they're expecting, they do say, you know, the multiple does look low. They say that, you know, we're expected to have growth something around ninety percent this year. They're supposed to slow and then keep slowing going forward. So this is a company that's on sort of a path of growth deceleration. But people still view it as a very high quality company, especially within AI and chips. It's certainly a lot cheaper than names like Intel or AMDs, So there's certainly a lot of people who continue to be very positive on it. But the fact that we're seeing some air come out of it ahead of a report, it just shows you that maybe sentiment is just not what it was, certainly a couple of years ago, when in Video was just the absolute hardest name around.
Speaker 2: And we led the show on the report from Bloomberg over the weekend that server makers have been telling in Vidia customers price hikes are coming on the latest generation servers. Bloomers ran Vasellica with the equities view. Thank you very much. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech. Look. The story this week will be in Vidia and in Vidia's earnings, which are Wednesday after the market close. There has been a lot happening in AI infrastructure in that Bloomberg Report is a must read. Recap that conversation and all the reporting on the podcast. You know where to find it on all the Bloomberg platforms and on iHeart, Spotify, and Apple. Stay with us through the week. It is a big week and there is a lot more to come from San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Tech