Speaker 1: Fellow conspiracy realist. In nineteen sixty seven, the tiny fishing community of shag of Harbor up in Canada, became ground zero for one of the most infamous UFO sightings in modern Western history.
Speaker 2: And it was spooky season, y'all. It was October.
Speaker 3: Oh, and here we are in spooky season now, so kind of weirdly were weirdly appropriate?
Speaker 2: Is it already spooky season?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's called summer ween. Yeah, it's always Halloween in America. Let's a roll it. From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeart Radios How Stuff Works.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show. My name is Matt noel Is on Adventures.
Speaker 1: They call me Ben. We were joined as always with our super producer Paul Mission controlled decand most importantly, you are you. You are here, and that makes this stuff. They don't want you to know this. This is what I'm pretty excited about, Matt. What about you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a minute since we've really gotten our unexplained phenomena I e UFOs Unidentified Flying Objects sometimes unidentified submerged objects, any of those, We're We're into it.
Speaker 1: And we had a lot of people, a lot of our fellow listeners suggest this topic, so we picked one one person that we wanted you to hear from directly.
Speaker 4: Hey, boys, I'm a big fan of your show and I really enjoy all the episodes you do. I just had an idea for a great episode, and that's the mystery of the Shag Harbor incident. That was a huge UFO sighting seen by many many people, actually relatives of personal friends of mine here in Eastern Canada. Happened on the south shore of Nova Scotia back in the nineteen sixties and not far from Oak Island, right, another awesome place of mystery. So apparently there was a pretty substantial RCMP investigation into that. And yeah, I think it would make for a great episode.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you anonymous caller from East Canada over there in Nova Scotia or near Nova Scotia at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much. These are two fantastic ideas that have been on our mutual minds for some time. Oak Island is a story all its own, and we've done some videos on that before, right, Matt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have. I cannot recall if we've actually made a podcast episode, but we should if we haven't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe Buried Treasure episode or something tantalizing, tantalizing story Shag Harbor however, Yeah, that's what we're going to look at today. It has been quite a while, old friends, since we did an episode on UFOs. I for one am. You know, I'm still convinced that various governments are hiding some sort of advanced technology or another. And you, both of us, you especially Fox Moulder style, still want to believe. Is that correct?
Speaker 2: Oh, very much true, especially with something like the incident we're going to discuss today. Our caller said that, you know, a bunch of people witnessed this thing, and it is true that I would say dozens. I think dozens of people did witness this at some point during the official incident. You know, it's not a ton of people. It's not like it was over a large city and a bunch of you know, everyone had their cell phones or something. We're talking nineteen sixty seven. But enough people saw it that it wasn't just a trick of the light that you know, a captain on a ship saw or you know, maybe me it could be explained pretty easily.
Speaker 1: Or something funky on the horizon seen by a pilot exactly.
Speaker 2: There's there are more. There are more vantages to this than a lot of UFO sightings.
Speaker 1: This is one of the most well documented UFO sightings in modern history. To be honest, they call it Canada's Roswell, and that's not an ironic name like Little John or something. This really is one of the most historically significant, well known and famous or infamous UFO sightings in Canadian history, if not the most famous. So we received tons of great episodes for specific UFO sightings. We get them a lot. This one we were curious about because if you're not from Canada and you don't spend much time thinking about UFOs, you probably have not heard of shag Harper. A lot of people who are ufologists in the United States may not have heard of this. But here are the facts. Shag Harbor is a tiny, tiny town, a village really, and it is as as our callers said, on the southern shore of Nova Scotia. The population is somewhere between it's under five hundred people, it's four hundred, four and and fifty people or so, and their big business is lobster, which I love this because the lobster is amazing. But here where we're based and landlocked Atlanta, Georgia, you get what you pay for.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And just so you have an idea of where this is. If you do live in the United States, as do most of you out there listening, we know this if you are in Portland, Maine. So if you're imagining Portland, Maine, way up there in the northeast section of the United States, and you essentially go east. No, it's not perfectly east because we live, you know, on a globe. But if you east on a map and you just travel that till you hit Nova Scotia, you essentially hit Shag Harbor, just to know exactly where you are, because Nova Scotia is essentially a peninsula that comes down. It's close to an island, but that's a peninsula that comes down off of Canada up on the top there.
Speaker 1: On the eastern side. Yeah. And this this fishing community, right, most of their business in the fishing industry takes place from November to May. That's going to be important for the story as it unfolds. On a side note, I just checked downstairs at one of the only places that does sell lobster rolls. Yes, here in the area, twenty four dollars.
Speaker 2: For one for like a small lobster.
Speaker 1: Roll, right for just a regular lobster roll.
Speaker 2: And that's of course, to get that lobster to Atlanta and then buy it in Pont City Market. Oh boy, now, just saying it might be a little inflated, that's all. That's all.
Speaker 1: One day, Matt. Maybe one day I'll treat myself to a lops you know what. I might just at this point, maybe I should just fly to Maine or Nova Scotia's.
Speaker 2: Well, let's look at Dave's Lobster in Halifax. Let's see. Let's see if they've got a menu.
Speaker 1: I looked up some places in Shag Harbor there I couldn't find. I couldn't get the website for Captain Wayne's to work. But I'm interested. So if you're listening, you've ever been to Captain Waynes in Shag Harbor, Let let let me know what you think and let me know what I should order when I go there, because after this, after doing this research, I'm excited about taking a trip there one day.
Speaker 2: Oh I do. That would be wonderful. We should definitely do that.
Speaker 1: And while we're there, we can check out the Chapel Hill Museum, Captain Wayne's, and some other restaurants, a few tourism sites. But what sort of tourism sites, you may ask.
Speaker 2: Well, you know a lot of people would probably go out there for fishing or maybe to try and catch their own lobster.
Speaker 1: Dude, that would be so cool. Some people may visit for the history of Chapel Hill is a historically significant site, but many people visit for a different reason. They visit Shag Harper, you see, because they are convinced that human beings saw a UFO night, even a UFO an extra terrestrial object in this town in the nineteen sixties. Here's where it gets crazy. So let's get our let's get our primary sources for this right, and we'll go with the official story, and then we'll go with some speculation, and then we'll go with some analysis.
Speaker 2: That sounds great.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm over explaining it. That's very Alice in Wonderland, where the Hatter says, start at the beginning, go through the middle, and when you get to the end, stop Now.
Speaker 2: Signposts in my opinion are actually good, so let's keep with them.
Speaker 1: Okay. All right, Well we've made a promise now, Matt, so we'll have to try to We'll have to try to keep our stories straight, which is a problem in the Shag Harbor tale as well. Our primary sources for contemporary reports from the authorities and civilian witnesses come from a paper call the Halifax Chronicle Herald, and here's most of what we know. On Wednesday, October fourth, nineteen sixty seven, at around eleven twenty pm, multiple witnesses claimed to see the following.
Speaker 2: Some reported a row of lights, row of lights on a craft that was roughly sixty feet long. Now that's, of course an approximation, but that was used several times sixty feet long. And this row of lights on whatever this thing was, the lights at least because a lot of people couldn't at least several of the reports couldn't see an object. They just saw the lights because of the distance they were away. But the lights descended down and there was some kind of noise that was emanating from whatever this was that was. It was reported as like a whistle, sometimes sometimes as a wooshing sound, and it was almost like it was akin to, at least some of them said, a bomb falling, or like in a movie you would hear a bomb like beer exactly. And it was so it was descending down right, and then it hovered over the water out there at Shag Harbor or right outside of Shag Harbor, essentially hovered over the water just momentarily, and then it began to submerge. And there was some really weird details we're going to get into here with how the light functioned or didn't function. It was very strange, but let's continue along.
Speaker 1: Sure, Yes, yes, the object or the lights whatever, this was submerged into the Atlantic Ocean, a famously large body of water.
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, if you are in Shag Harbor to your east, nothing but water, that's it, yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: And emergency crews primarily the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or the RCMP, as our caller mentioned earlier, they arrived within fifteen minutes or so, so they're not fooling around. They reasonably assumed this was a plane crash at first, so lives could be on the line and the clock is ticking. The Coastguard later joins in the search. Initially civilians and authorities the way the story goes, noted a thick yellow foam, or specifically, a glittery yellow foam. A local fishing boat captain said this was about eighty feet wide the swath of foam, and it's important to remember that he made this observation in the darkness, based on his unaided eyesight. According to the records, no one obtained a sample of this strange substance, so even today we don't know what it is. We can guess, but we don't know for about three When the authorities search the bottom of the harbor and they have no luck. They find nothing, no bodies, no debris bupkiss. They also find when they contact Halifax and other regional authorities, that no planes were reported missing, And with that, the incident seemed set to be a flash in the pan headline. Local radio reported it, The Chronicle Herald reported it, but it seemed like an unusual sighting that, like thousands and thousands of others, would eventually end up being little more than a footnote in regional history books. See this is the important thing. So this happens in nineteen sixty seven, right, it's twenty nineteen now, and this is a famous, world famous UFO incident. But in let's say nineteen seventy seven, this was not the case. Something happened between sixty seven and today day that changed the way the public thinks about this specific night in October. And you know, I know I'm setting us up here, but we will tell you what that moment is. We found it. But for now, let's look at the facts. That's the gist of the story. And there are a couple of problems with it, a couple of contradictions. If we rely just on the articles from the Chronicle Herald, what do we find.
Speaker 2: We'll tell you right after a quick word from our sponsor. Well, if we do rely on those Chronicle Herald articles and we just say that that's all we're gonna use, we're gonna find a couple of things. First, is that four teenagers said, and this is a claim, they saw four lights, not three. They said that the lights were yellow or white. So we already hear like even amongst a group of people who were from the same vantage, saying they saw us maybe slightly different things. They confirmed the lights were descending coming down from the sky. One of the four kids said the lights appeared to turn off and on or blink in some way. Another kid said that he heard the aforementioned whistling noise the some sound. So again one of the four witnesses said, I heard it emitting some kind of sound, But the other kids, the other three didn't mention anything about a sound until this other person mentioned it. Who knows if that's then some kind of confirmation bias or wanting to be correct if you missed it. Another teen said he heard a loud noise when the lights appeared to hit the water, So some kind of boom or splash. That's where you kind of get that end of the bomb sound. And you know, if it was a massive object and it impacted the water, there would be some kind of sound. Sure, it just depends on how far away you are if you could hear it.
Speaker 1: Essentially, if it were indeed, a craft sixty feet long, no matter how light it was, would make an audible noise.
Speaker 2: One hundred present. If a UFO falls in the water and no one's around, does it make a sound. Yes. Another thing you're gonna find is that a whole separate group of people in this case, a couple other teenagers said they saw three red orange lights this time, so rather than white, yellow, white, or yellow descending again from the sky forming a line at a roughly forty five degree angle. Now, these two, this pair, they were actually driving when they when they saw this, and they didn't stop the vehicle, and the lights just kind of passed out of you as they're driving around, and you know you're probably somewhere near the coast over there, and they're going to be gone even if they're descending down. So we at least have two vantage points specifically from the Chronicle Herald, specifically teenagers.
Speaker 1: And this isn't the end of our witness list. This is just where the witness list gets a little bit at times murky. But picture you're self looking at an aerial map of Shag.
Speaker 2: Harbor and you can pull one up right now.
Speaker 1: You could pull one up right now now, zoom out and taken a bigger region into your aerial view, and there's Halifax. Okay. So local radio stations reported a glowing object had been seen by a bunch of people who called their newsrooms and they reported witnessing strange glowing objects flying around Halifax at around ten pm.
Speaker 2: So what is our established timeline at this point when did the impacts at the water Do we have we established that yet?
Speaker 1: It would be either it would be before midnight, yes, but after eleven twenty exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we couped like an hour and change beforehand, all over Halifax, and I've been as you said, like not a significantly significant distance way, but far enough away an hour before that you see lights, glowing objects, got.
Speaker 1: It right, Yeah, And it would be helpful for us to say that distance, right, it's about from Halifax, Nova Scotia to shag Harbor, Nova Scotia. You're looking at about two hundred and fifty five kilometers or one hundred and fifty eight miles.
Speaker 2: So that's pretty far.
Speaker 1: That's according to distance between cities dot net.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great. That's just their thing, unless it's a driving distance of some sort.
Speaker 1: Right, right, So the radio stations are reporting this, and they're not the only ones. Air Canada flight three h five noted something strange on the left side of their plane at seven fifteen PM, and they called it a brilliantly lit rectangular object with a string of smaller lights trailing the object. At seven nineteen the pilots noticed a sizeable silent explosion near the object, and two minutes later, another explosion occurred and it faded to a blue cloud around this thing, whatever it was they saw.
Speaker 2: So they oh, got when when I read that and I read that, all I hear is force field of some sort, I got hit or like reacted.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah. So we know they saw something unusual, but we don't know necessarily whether that is tied to this stuff that happens hours later. This is where we want to introduce our first book, the one that people would consider conspiratorial. Doug Ledger wrote a book called Maritime UFO Files, and in this book he claims that additional witnesses exist. Daryl Dorry and his sister Annette and Daryl's mother were sitting on their front porch when they noticed a large object maneuvering above the southwestern horizon. The next day, Daryl writes a letter to the Royal Canadian Air Force Greenwood based commander, asking what was flying over the water that evening because I've never seen anything like it?
Speaker 2: And yes, so we've got, you know, two people who saw something and they reported it, which is you know, always good, especially reporting it to a commander of a base with the Royal Canadian Air Force. That's pretty cool and it's good to know. But then you turn to our next witness, Captain Leo Howard Mercy. Now, this gentleman, you can actually find. You can find a memo because he contacted the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and a report was taken on the seventh of October nineteen sixty seven and as pertaining to the fourth but an actual you can find a written report. And so you know, we're saying that this is taken from maritime UFO files by Doug Ledger, and it's true. But a lot of times when you're, you know, reading a book like that, it's hard to know whether the sources are legit or real. Right in this case, they most certainly are. So Howard Mercy, Captain Leo Howard Mercy, he was looking at his radar. He's standing on his ship and he's looking at four blips on his deca radar. They seem to be stationary. But then you know, he says, well, I want to see I want to see what this is. He looks out and he sees about twenty eight kilometers from where he is on his ship, he could see four bright lights in again, kind of a formation, like a rectangular formation roughly is what he was estimating. And then the entire crew of I think it was twenty, yeah, nearly twenty fishermen who were with him on his ship, they went out, they got on the deck, they watched this thing, this object, whatever it is, this group of objects, they watched it, and he was in the northeastern sky. And then this guy Mercy radioed the Rescue Coordination Center at the Harbor Master in Halifax and he asked for, you know, something like, hey, guys, what's going on over there? And it was one of those things where he reported knowing that the Air Force conducted, you know, testing out in that area where he was looking. So we didn't necessarily think it was anything too off at least according to the official memo and report, but he did think it was odd, so you know, he asked for an ex explanation. He filed this report with the RCMP and that was about it. At the end of the report, it is noted that he is considered to be a reliable type individual that's a quote and bears a good reputation in his community. So that's something that that was noted by the RCMP, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
Speaker 1: So, which is just them saying that he's considered a credible reporter. He's not pranking people, he's not a crazy, you know, paint huffing maniac who calls every weekend.
Speaker 2: Yes, someone reliable saw this, whatever it was.
Speaker 1: So so we have these additional witnesses, and there are a few more. But in cases like this, where there's something up in the sky that's not too far into the wee hours of the night, we know that there are almost certainly a bunch of witnesses who saw something and did not go to the trouble of writing to the Air Force station. Yes, because that's a lot of work. So let's go their initial ideas initially. Initially, oddly enough, most people are not thinking in terms of anything other than mundane activities, tragedies, meteorological phenomenon. So they first assume, well, maybe this is a boat, got to search that. Maybe this is a plane, got to search for that.
Speaker 2: Well, in the plane and or boat makes a lot of sense depending on the color of the lights that they saw, and if they were flashing or at least on and off in some kind of repeating.
Speaker 1: Pattern, right right, that could be distressing.
Speaker 2: And we did notice that in a few of the witnesses.
Speaker 1: True, that is true. They say, well, you know what else could fit this story? A distress flare? This is a for people who are convinced that this was a craft. This feels like a stick in the mud answer. But there are some pretty compelling similarities. So, first off, flare guns are standard on boats, the standard ond boats. If there's a problem, you use a flare gun. After you fire a flare. Have you ever fired a flare?
Speaker 4: I have?
Speaker 1: They're so cool. Yeah, after you fire a flare, then you know, there's a little bit of a delay before it burns. It might it varies, but it might start burning almost immediately after you shoot it off, or it might hit its arc and then start going downward and then ignite. But this idea with a flare gun inspired some of the more skeptical thinkers to say things like like Brian Dunning said, ssh, is it outside the realm of possibility that someone was playing around with a flare gun at eleven at night after killing part of a six pack or a whole six pack or a whole six pack. You know what I mean, because if you've been drinking. Maybe shooting off a flare gun sounds like a cool thing to do, and yes.
Speaker 2: And just to put it out there the way. One of the big parts of this story that is so fascinating is how the light landed on top of the water for a little bit and then sunk into the.
Speaker 1: Water, right and one of the witnesses, I think in that group of four teenagers, one of the witnesses said a single light remained for a moment before it submerged or before it was put out by the water. So later on, I mean months or years later on, people proposed that the sighting could fit the description of something like a falling satellite, which is completely a possibility nineteen sixty seven and completely a possibility that a satellite may have fallen.
Speaker 2: Especially if pieces of it are breaking apart as it's falling and you have multiple lights where fires are burning up choces of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely as it enters the atmosphere. And then it could also be a meteoric fireball, so like us falling satellite, meteors frequently break up during their fall and that could also look like a line of lights and depending on the angle of the viewer or your perspective as you're watching this, it could seem to be moving much more slowly than it actually is at kind of a low angle. So the big question immediately here is did the story change. Here's the thing. After these reports were printed, primarily in the Chronicle Herald but also in other papers of the time, people began to connect the dots and build what could have been interpreted as separate sightings a single cohesive narrative. That is, there's nothing wrong with that. That's what people do. We find patterns, we connect dots. That's how our species got to where it is. So the crazy thing that we discovered here is that the foam and the lights were not initially connected. No one initially reported seeing the objects or lights leaving the foam, but people began saying that they saw the lights actually leave the foam behind. So before that point, the foam could have just been something weird that that captain saw. So there we have it for now, this series of spooky lights. If we're going to use the technical term, but how do we get from spooky lights to UFOs? We'll explore that after a word from our sponsor, and against all odds, we have returned how did this transform or from spooky lights to genuine concerns about extraterrestrials being cited? Well, according to a couple of different sources, this story did not actually take off in the national international sphere until decades later, until nineteen ninety three, when a ufologist named Chris Stiles said that he witnessed the UFO around the same time and place several weeks after the initial sighting. He co wrote a book called Dark Object, the world's only government documented UFO crash. In this book, Styles and his co author Doug Ledger from earlier.
Speaker 2: Oh THEO What was that book called the Meteor.
Speaker 1: The Maritime UFO Files. Yes, So in this book Dark Object, Styles and Ledger claimed that what people saw that night in Shag Harbor was a spaceship, not just an unidentified flying object, but an unidentified submerged object. For the USOS is the my favorite. Yeah, you introduced me to that concept. And they further trace the path of this object after it submerges in the ocean. They say that after it went underwater, it traveled about seventy clicks northeast to a US Navy facility called the HMCS Shelburn at the time, the HMCS Shelburn was a support compound for offshore sonar array that was meant to detect submarines. It's part of an anti submarine system, and this was also part of a larger global network. Back to the book, the authors claimed that this USO unidentified submerged object met up with another ship underwater, they were monitored by the US Navy, and then they were eventually launched into space. For the record, as near as we can find, a Ledger and Styles were the first people to propose this idea or deposit this series of events, and we couldn't find what their sources were for this claim.
Speaker 2: But if you did have information about this, let's say you got it from someone's last words on their deathbed, someone's you know, no one's ever heard of this before, but this happened, you would be the first person to ever report that. The problem is, you know, why would there be no why would there be no reporting of that kind of incident, that kind of thing, unless it's just completely redacted and held because it's you know, national security kind of situation. So there's it's one of those things we always talk about. We we'll get into a little later but it's it's not provable. It's not provable either way.
Speaker 1: Right right, right. We know that there's enough evidence to say that people definitely saw something. We know little else, Yep, because even even the mundane explanations are not perfect one to one fits, you know what I mean. So in the in the case of the flare, if if it were a distress flare, we would have probably found an object right from which that was shot. If it were a prank by someone who had had too much to drink or was just out living their best life on the coast.
Speaker 2: Didn't even have to be a prank, just somebody messing around.
Speaker 1: Then, you know, how do we explain the fact that no one came forward. We would just say that they were so terrified that they decided to take the secret to their grave, because I don't I don't know. I don't think they would have gotten in serious trouble. But maybe they freaked out because they saw all the all the law enforcement and rescue responders out there.
Speaker 2: Maybe they were like illegal lobster poachers and they didn't want anyone.
Speaker 1: To know, yeah, doing illegal flare lobstering.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, the flaring for lobsters, you know, that's in that old standby.
Speaker 1: Flaring for Lobsters Sun new t shirt.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So we've got these claims from these authors, and there are more. There are more arguments or theories around, but the claims of Styles and Ledger are probably the most well known on that side of the fence. Let's go to the official word because those of us who may say, well, I'm more of a skeptically minded person and I'm convinced this is a flare, we have weird news for you. The government disagrees. The Canadian government was not convinced. On October sixth, a couple of days after the incident, a Colonel W. W. Turner issued a memo where he said, quote, the Coordination Center conducted preliminary investigation and discounted the possibilities that the sighting was produced by an aircraft, flares, floats, or any other known objects, and he got that this is weird. This is probably the strangest piece of trivia I learned doing this. He got that from a telex, an early kind of form of facts sent from a Coastguard ship, and it was very shortened to the point, you know, essentially it was like telegraph language where they said, we search for this with nil results, we search for this other thing with nil results. All that means is, while they're not totally ruling it out, they're saying they didn't find anything that supports any of those mundane explanations. So even though they didn't find anything, they still didn't feel that the normal explanations fully explained everything. And this is this sounds sinister, right, it could be seen as a very sinister thing. But we also have to remember it's kind of predictable if it were a flair. They're searching the ocean for a flare.
Speaker 2: Well, you mean you can't just dive down there easily with a snorkel and grab it.
Speaker 1: It's not like a video game. Oh, it's not like a mission where you can snag some of the video game.
Speaker 2: And it's so true. You'd have to have such specialized equipment to even get to the bottom of the ocean there if you could, and then from that point you're just gonna look for a flare that could have carried.
Speaker 1: You know, that's if it makes it to the bottom.
Speaker 2: If it is a flare.
Speaker 1: If it is a flare, what if it was.
Speaker 2: Some you know, extraterrestrial species just probe. It's like small little probe spherically shaped or something that's designed to go down to the bottom of the ocean. Oh and then disappear, Yeah, like burrow into the sand in the ground. Okay, Like if that's what it was, you'll never find it.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, yeah, maybe that's true with the technology they had at the time, right lightar. But now we have lightar. Yeah, And I think some relatives of Jacques Custeau actually traveled up a few years back to Shag Harber to film a documentary about the Shag Harbor incident. So they'll be bringing with them technology that did not exist in the late nineteen sixties. They'll also be working with one of the original members of the dive team that explored the incident.
Speaker 2: When it occurred.
Speaker 1: Cool, and this is where we're at now. This is pretty interesting because there are there are people who are convinced that this was an accident that got covered up, whether mundane or military or somehow beyond this world in nature. And then there are people who are convinced that this is an easily explainable thing that people may not necessarily want explained because you see today shag Harbor remains a popular tourist that the nation for local UFO enthusiast. When the weather's right, you can check out the UFO Gazebo and picnic site and you can look out onto the ocean to the spot where the object crashed.
Speaker 2: That's right. Did you say the name of it yet? That place?
Speaker 1: Oh? I just said the UFO Gazebo and Picnic.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a it's specifically called and you can find it on Google Maps, the Shag Harbor Incident Interpretive Center. It's a yellow building. I think it's still yellow. You can find it. There are phone numbers you can call to reach them, a fax number, and even an email address.
Speaker 1: Right. You can also when you visit, find articles, documentaries, and memorabilia pertaining to the incident.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Just something you should know if you are going to go up there. This place, specifically the shag Harbor UFO Center. It only operates from June fifteenth until September thirtieth, so if you're planning to go go soon.
Speaker 1: You can also contact the Shag Harbor Incident which collects and organizes information about this event. Neat bookending note here They are headed by Lori Wickens One of the teenagers who first cited the object. He also participated in the Custeau documentary.
Speaker 2: He, by the way, is a ah.
Speaker 1: So there's where we are Barring some new revelations or deathbed confessions, we want to know what you think. We do also want to point out that there is still a little bit of a sketchy documentation on the side of the Canadian government. Let's let them summarize it themselves. Here's the conclusion from the Department of National Defense. The crashing of the unidentified flying object and Deshaghaba is still discussed today, with many articles appearing on the antidet. There's no trace of THESEMP reports of the siding and the files the Department of National Defense has identified decided as unsolved and the only documentation that exists in the files is a D and D memo.
Speaker 2: And we have that memo. If you want to hear it, well, then here it is UFO report. Lower Wood Harbor, Nova Scotia. An RCMP corporal and six other witnesses observed what they believed to be an unidentified flying object off the southwest coast of Nova Scotia, Canada, on the fourth of October nineteen sixty seven. The object was described as approximately sixty feet in length and was flying in an easterly direction when first sighted. During their observation, the UFO descended rapidly to the surface and made a bright splash as it struck the water. For some time after the impact, a single white light remained on the surface. The RCMP corporal endeavored to reach the floating white object, but unfortunately, before he could reach the location, the object sank. A search of the area failed to produce any material evidence which would assist in explaining or establishing the identity of the object. An underwater search conducted by divers from the Department of National Defense also failed to locate any tangible evidence which could be used to arrive at an explainable conclusion. So literally what you said, Ben, it's unexplainable and that's all we got.
Speaker 1: Right, So we can easily see why this is so intriguing and remains so intriguing. Despite the fact that it is one of the one of the better documented sightings or incidents, there's a surprisingly sparse amount of paperwork regarding it, and some of this came out only when the Canadian government declassified pages and pages and pages of files on unidentified flying objects reports. Now we do have one. We do have one pretty I think, a pretty cool point that we have to make every time we do a UFO sighting up. So this is a UFO. Any unidentified flying object is by virtue of being unidentified and in the air and an object AUFO. That does not mean it was from Alpha centaur I, or Mars or some place in the darkness between the stars. It just means that we have no real idea what it is. And even if we as a species have some good guesses, they are still only that they are only guesses until some sort of hard proof exists. Also, on a personal note, I love that the Department of National Defense is abbreviated to D and D yes. And when I first read the original summarization quote, I had this image in my head that there was a file from a D and D game.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was just a game master.
Speaker 1: That the RCMP was playing like they were deep into it, although I'm fairly certain D and D did not exist in the nineteen sixties. Oh and that fact I forgot to mention the telex I never followed up the weird fact I learned about telex. Okay, So, telex or teleprinter is the original form of data transmission and was developed in World War Two, supposed to be reliably secure over long distances, unlike now we have faxes, we have emails. We have faxes still for some reason, right, But unlike facts and email, telex has what's called full legal document status in every country in the world. So if you're send something on telex, it matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well the facts. It's like, I don't know, I'm going to need a cover sheet.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, So I thought that was weird because maybe that's the reason why it was so popular.
Speaker 2: But do you remember sending cover sheets with fax machines?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I used to, Doe. Yeah, we had to. It was very strange.
Speaker 2: We've been doing this a while, Ben.
Speaker 1: We have we can technically still fax things.
Speaker 2: We could if we want to.
Speaker 1: Have you ever prank faxed people?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I used to.
Speaker 1: Prank fax people at our old office. What I don't know, Man.
Speaker 2: Send something Marshall's way, not in a mean way.
Speaker 1: Not in a mean way. I would fat things like like attention for your eyes only. The transmission will begin at you know, five fifteen or something. Tell no one destroy this paper. It was brilliant facts an optometrist or something.
Speaker 2: That is brilliant.
Speaker 1: Can you get in trouble for that?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 1: Probably? I hope that statute of limitations on prank vaccine is pretty low.
Speaker 2: Somebody somewhere in an office is listening to this on their break or like while they're waiting a dental aygenis waiting.
Speaker 1: Or going use yet. But the I did fax people at five point fifteen as well, you.
Speaker 2: See there you go, you know, just enough time to get out the door with a little fun, little light step.
Speaker 1: One time. It was just like I tried to fact I tried to fax a picture of Christopher walk In, but you know, you mainly fax text through through facts machine, So I don't know what they got, but but yeah, that was my I feel better. I feel like I have confessed my sins to you.
Speaker 2: Oh well, hey, I love it and not just now I want to do it. So, if you have ever experienced an unidentified flying or sub merged object.
Speaker 1: Well facts or facted anyone an unidentified facts object.
Speaker 2: Yes you can. You can reach out to us. We would love to hear your stories. You can give us a call. We are one eight three three s T d W y t K leave a message detailing what you've seen. You can, like one of our recent listeners first called us and left a message or two, I believe, and then sent us several videos like showing what she experienced with some kind of object that she noticed.
Speaker 1: That was fantastic. Yeah, thank you for doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much for sending that. You can you can do that, or you can just leave us a message telling us what happened one time or what you've experienced. You can do all that stuff, or you can reach out to us on Instagram where we are a conspiracy stuff show, and Ben you are.
Speaker 1: I am in a burst of creativity at Ben Bullen, so you can follow me to see me get kicked into and out of various countries on various misadventures perfection.
Speaker 2: Is there an HSW involved or is it just no? Okay, I'm Matt Frederick HSW. Something I don't know. Good luck, you'll never find it. Aha. And then and we have Embryonic Insider, which is and Paul is what is it?
Speaker 1: Paul? Paul is Paul is at applebe revolutionary?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Applebee's was it the Appleby's Revolution?
Speaker 1: It's either. I think Mission Control has several different Applebee's accounts, okay, which I'm surprised that he finds time for all of them.
Speaker 2: You're just gonna have to search around and find it. I can't remember, and it was a really complicated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to earn that one. In the meantime, while you're on the internet, if you want to check out our favorite part of the show your fellow listeners, hop on over to Here's where it gets Crazy, our Facebook page where you can see, you know, you can see a ton of different ideas, some pretty high tier memes. But then one thing I think that a lot of us enjoy about the page is some in depth conversation about things.
Speaker 2: Specifically about stuff we've covered on the show. Well, we'll get into discussion about what something truly meant, or like an extra piece of evidence that maybe we didn't see, or something that it's really great. You should definitely go there, and.
Speaker 1: That's our classic episode for this evening. We can't wait to hear your thoughts. We try to be easy to find online.
Speaker 3: Find this in the handle Conspiracy Stuff, where we exist on Facebook, X and YouTube, on Instagram and TikTok. We're conspiracy stuff show.
Speaker 2: Call our number. It's one eight three three st d WYTK.
Speaker 1: Leave a voicemail and if you have more to say, we can't wait to hear from you at our good old fashioned email address where we are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't Want You to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.