Speaker 1: It's podcast. Welcome to Me Eater Trivia, the only game show er Conservation always wins. I am your guest host Stephen Ranella and today were joined by Janis Putlus, Brody Henderson, Randall Williams, Tresa Croker, Seth Morris, Corey Calkins, Spencer Newheart, and my dentist Kevin Pearson. Are you guys looking for business?
Speaker 2: Always?
Speaker 1: My dentist is the only dentist on the planet. I'm gonna go out on a limb. The only dentist on the planet who's killed ten mountain goats. Wow, in this room where he was raised. Instead of going hunting deer after school, you would go hunt mountain goats after school.
Speaker 3: Where was this Yes, toughest.
Speaker 1: Dennis in the world.
Speaker 2: Sick go Alaska?
Speaker 1: Plug your Dennis place?
Speaker 4: Was that guy that shot Cecila Dennis?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: You know not this guy totally differentis I think we were all thinking the same thing, Brody.
Speaker 5: I just got back from South Africa, so that was a common thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we also got back from a sheep hunt. Phenomenal dentist. If you're in anywhere in the vicinity of Galaton Valley, what's what's your guys?
Speaker 5: Place called Kevin Pearson d d S. So Google search will find me.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: If you need a great dentist who's got good hunting stories, is.
Speaker 2: He in network for us?
Speaker 1: This is a he must be. I don't know. You must be. Guys. You guys haven't been billing me this whole time.
Speaker 6: Have you Steve a good patient?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I got a lot of dental problems. Oh okay, I was down there. I was down there. I got two fake teeth, and I was down there twice in the same month getting my fake teeth serviced.
Speaker 3: I remember your fixed.
Speaker 1: No, he doesn't do that.
Speaker 7: Work.
Speaker 3: I remember you drop I remember dropping you off his office one time straight from a shoot because you're too.
Speaker 1: Wrote that broke one of my teeth. He fixed that tooth up. That's not my best tooth. WI would be my worst tooth, my best tooth. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from me eaters four verticals sort of. This is Spencer's writing. I'm reading which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Me Eater will donate five hundred bucks to the conservation organization. Of the winners, choosing Spencer I'm reading Spencer's writing. It says, Spencer, this is your second time playing trivia. How do you feel about your chances this time around?
Speaker 6: I thought that'd be a little more natural.
Speaker 3: That was not natural.
Speaker 8: When you read script like that, you're a little more naturl I.
Speaker 1: Just tease a Spencer.
Speaker 6: I'm excited. I'm less nervous this time, significantly less nervous than when Yanni hosted.
Speaker 1: Well, you know doctor randall right with doctor Pearson. Two doctors, two doctors in the room. He's here because he's one of my many friends that brags up to me how good he always does.
Speaker 6: Now, the last time we brought one of the last time I.
Speaker 1: Brought one of these, Yeah, who's down there bad?
Speaker 6: There's a lot of pressure.
Speaker 1: Then one of these like at home listeners talking about all of his nines and tens, and we get him in the room and what happens.
Speaker 6: He threw like a three.
Speaker 1: Tough so bear that Muney.
Speaker 8: Let me ask you a question. Has this always been a dream of yours? Or did my guest hosting appearance spur this on?
Speaker 1: What wasn't here for that?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 1: But no, I've always thought about doing it.
Speaker 3: He told he told me before he thought about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I don't know about the like the you know, I don't know about the exact time timeline.
Speaker 6: But Steve told me a few weeks ago he was ready to host. So then I scheduled an episode and he said, well, wait a minute. I meant I'm ready in like spirit to host question. Yeah right, you aren't ready with like ten questions.
Speaker 1: But we put a lot of work into it. Each week here on the show, Spencer reveals a new stat for the stat of this week. We're updating the Steve complaint counter, which is me, We're updating my own complaint counting. I'm surprised to hear that on average, I make five point three to one complaints per episode of Meat Eater Tribua. You think that's lower high, Well, I think that they might be the statistician might be confusing comments. Is this a complaint? Their feedback?
Speaker 4: Oh, I got a question, So now I got a question for you.
Speaker 7: Steve.
Speaker 4: Has Spencer tried to shame you on your complaints by sending you emails that.
Speaker 6: Yeah he does, yeah, yeh, yeah, he did that too often.
Speaker 1: Of the forty nine episodes I have been on, there have only been three where I did not have a single complaint. Not surprisingly, the number of complaints shrinks and episodes where I perform well and grows in episodes where I performed poorly. In the five episodes where I complained less than two times, my average score was seven point two. In the five episodes where I complained ten or more times, my average score was five point eight. Here is a zero percent or question of the week.
Speaker 3: Hold on, what was let's let's let's talk about this morning. Huh what was your highest complaint count? Yeah?
Speaker 9: I was wondering how many games over ten or how many games I had?
Speaker 1: I had one point, I had one point two five or whatever.
Speaker 6: Complaints for the question, Yeah, he had five questions or five episod it was where it was over ten and I think the max was fourteen.
Speaker 1: He must have been a you must have done a bad job that week.
Speaker 2: You're right, that's gotta be it.
Speaker 1: Here's our zero percenter question of the week, which tests how much knowledge players have retained from previous shows. This puts me in an interesting bind because whenever I'm playing and you do a zero presenter, you present a zero presenter that I wasn't present for in the first place percenter. This zero percent two yeah, this zero percenter. I did retain and now know, but it doesn't do me any good because I'm in the hosting slot. Sure, giant water bucks are more commonly known by this intimidating nickname.
Speaker 6: Nobody knows it, I remember.
Speaker 1: Still no one knows, Remember Brody.
Speaker 6: I don't remember the answer, but you did retain it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I wasn't here was it on.
Speaker 2: Water dragons?
Speaker 3: It was like a daredevil or something.
Speaker 1: I got bit by one of these in Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Scorpions.
Speaker 3: I remember, I remember the answer.
Speaker 1: Remember that the incorrect answers were water devils, water scorpions, water striders, man of war, and hellgermite. But the answer you were looking for back then and then apparently you're still looking for now is toe biter.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's that intimidating.
Speaker 6: I don't know the look.
Speaker 8: You suel like a little girl, though little any kind of little kid. You squealed like a little kid when you got bit by that.
Speaker 6: How does that rank on your like, uh, your ranking of bites that you've received from from different critters. It was hurt top three mm hmm, was.
Speaker 1: Over real fast? Okay, but not hurt. Not like a bullet. No, I could never find something.
Speaker 3: It's just like a bite, not a sting. Right, so it soon it stops biting, it stops hurting.
Speaker 1: For our housekeeping section today, we're going to give an update on the Live Tour. Where do I start? The Live Tour is shaping up to be probably one of the.
Speaker 6: Oh I'm excited, where you're gonna go with this?
Speaker 3: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: You're one of the biggest live events of the centuries. Okay, one of the biggest live events of the century. The Live Tour starts December sixth in Denver and ends Where's the why? Because someone pull up the date.
Speaker 6: You're the only one.
Speaker 3: Listening to a podcast this morning, a Meteor podcast, and the same thing happened.
Speaker 1: Because there's so many it's so many dates, I can't keep them all straight.
Speaker 3: I understand.
Speaker 10: And the funny thing about that seth that said that was actually the second time we tried.
Speaker 3: To record that.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's any touring I don't think there's any touring per person alive that can tell you all of their tour dates and locations.
Speaker 11: I bet we could try if they had seven tour dates.
Speaker 6: I bet Denver, Davenport, Kansas City, Des Moines, No, no, just Detroit.
Speaker 1: Got to pull up. The tour starts in December and December sixth, just in.
Speaker 3: Colorado, just outside of Pittsburgh at.
Speaker 1: The Come on Phil. We just get it printed and have it in here.
Speaker 3: Next to the other. You should have a pre recording where he has.
Speaker 1: This is like seem like a very good thing to buy a ticket port.
Speaker 4: Hey, you guys need some kind of promo manager or something.
Speaker 6: Trust has got to pulled up. Trust read it? Where are we going all of them?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 12: December sixth, Denver, Colorado.
Speaker 1: December sixth and Denver, Colorado. Now at that event we have we're talking with former broncos Play many times Sacker of Tom Brady, Derek Wolfe who will be joining us on stage, and Jordan and Jordan Budd will be joining us on stage. Chester the Midwester will be opening with live music. We're gonna make some Chester Concert t shirts you'll be able to buy and it'll have the eight dates on the back. So in the future when I want to refer to this, I'll just have that T shirt and I can read the dates and venues on the back of the chest.
Speaker 2: You'll have to have two mirrors behind you. You can read it.
Speaker 1: Chester will be opening, so you can uh tell your your partner, your spouse that you're going to take her to a concert, which will be true for about ten minutes, which will be yeah, a prominent singer songwriter, And that will be true for ten minutes, and then it'll turn into something else and it'll be hours for she realizes what exactly happened.
Speaker 6: Do we know what chill is that Chester is opening for every show?
Speaker 3: He is great.
Speaker 1: Chester's open for every show. That'll be great.
Speaker 2: So Chester's with the three of us on the bus for the.
Speaker 1: Whole whole thing. Him and his guitar.
Speaker 6: That tour of bus needed some more Chesters.
Speaker 1: Chili Chili will be there working the merch booth. There we go every show. Then we go on to where Kansas City, Kansas City, Kansas City. I believe Kevin Murphy, the world's greatest small game hunter, will be joining in Kansas City. Then we go on what date?
Speaker 12: Oh, sorry, that's on December seventh.
Speaker 1: Pearl Harbor. I always point that out every time I promote this.
Speaker 12: December ninth is Davenport.
Speaker 1: Okay, Davenport, Iowa, on December ninth.
Speaker 6: What fun tidbit you got about them, Steve, I'm still working on that.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, they'll be good stuff, a lot of it. Like I don't have it live at all. Finalized. One of the quad cities, I think, right.
Speaker 6: That is right, Well, I'm done.
Speaker 1: Go on.
Speaker 12: December tenth is Kalamazoo.
Speaker 1: December tenth, Kalamazoo. We've done Kalamazoo before State Theater, and I've been there. I've been there as a concert goer, and and I believe when I was there, I told my story about when I thought I came to believe that you could not get drunk from jello shots. That's correct, because the vodka got cooked out of them.
Speaker 6: Was proved yourself wrong?
Speaker 3: Was that was that the one where you ate beef jerky off the floor from NUDG?
Speaker 1: That was Detroit?
Speaker 3: Detroit?
Speaker 1: That was Detroit. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Gone.
Speaker 2: I've heard my first ever show at the State the State Theater, and.
Speaker 6: I've heard kalum Zoo is the hottest ticket right now. Those are the ones we've sold.
Speaker 1: All the VIP tickets are gone. You missed your chance on vi P already gone.
Speaker 12: December eleventh, Detroit.
Speaker 1: My daughter's birthday is in Detroit. This is replacing the Whiplash Bash for you people that missed the Whiplash Bash.
Speaker 3: Ooh, I'm missing my daughter's birthdayn The first one.
Speaker 12: Go on December thirteenth is Cleveland, you.
Speaker 1: Know, trust it. I hope she never tries to get a job as like a barker. What was that one again?
Speaker 12: Cleveland, Ohio?
Speaker 1: Cleveland, Ohio one day, December thirteenth, Cleveland, Ohio or something.
Speaker 12: My voice does that.
Speaker 6: Who's still employing barkers?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what that is like.
Speaker 1: If people to stand out, Yeah, they try to get you to come into the circus to see that. Yeah, Phil hit us with some more dates.
Speaker 3: That was good.
Speaker 12: December fourteenth, it's Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: December fourteenth, Pittsburgh. I'll tell you tidbit from that one. The world's greatest archer, Levi Morgan will be joining on stage. Local boy.
Speaker 6: You think they'll let him shoot his bow in the theater.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna check into that, Okay. I know that Uncle Teddy got Uncle Teddy got arrested for shooting his bow and Cleveland.
Speaker 6: That'd be good in Cleveland.
Speaker 1: I forgot to mention this. In Cleveland, we have we Got Weights and Fish. Jason Fisher. I'm sitting his jersey's right over there. I'm gonna bring his jersey back to him. He doesn't know this. I haven't talked him about it yet. I want him to put his jersey on and do we got weights.
Speaker 3: And Fish if you listen to the podcast, he knows.
Speaker 1: He knows that well, he knows I invited him, but he doesn't know why I invited him.
Speaker 6: That'd be good, pr if we got a citation for shooting the bow someplace that you couldn't.
Speaker 1: And then and then last is Philly, Philadelphia. I don't have any good tidbits. I have him, but I don't have any to share yet. Get your tickets now. The Katie Index. The Katie Index for today's round of trivia is a hotly contested one.
Speaker 6: Do you trust her barometer?
Speaker 1: She was very angry, and she said that now I'm gonna look like such a dumb ass.
Speaker 3: And all that it's a one.
Speaker 1: So our winners should get probably like a seven or eight. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, phil.
Speaker 6: Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything.
Speaker 1: How's that just tend to win everything?
Speaker 3: Demon suckers?
Speaker 1: Okay? Question number one, as always his multiple choice. One of these states does not have reported incidences of manatees Massachusetts, Hawaii, Florida, in Texas. One of these states does not have reported incidences of manatees Massachusetts, Hawaii, Florida.
Speaker 3: And Texas.
Speaker 8: Do you feel like you're gonna pitch a fun game where a lot of people would get a lot of questions?
Speaker 2: Right is it gonna be?
Speaker 1: I think it's right dead nuts down the middle. I think it's just like Spencer.
Speaker 6: Okay, and I'd.
Speaker 1: Say, well, yeah, I'd put this as on the easier end of the spectrum.
Speaker 6: Oh so you think there's like an eight or nine in here today?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised to have a perfect game here today.
Speaker 6: Okay, Wow, everybody ready? Do you have a favorite question?
Speaker 1: Attention to how you determine when you reveal the answer?
Speaker 6: Just watch the room see when they're done writing. If the banter dies down, then I got to warn some folks that we're running out of time.
Speaker 1: We're running out of time.
Speaker 3: Rand taking that one.
Speaker 1: See your answers, Seth Massachusetts, Randall Hawaii, trusta Hawaii doctor, Kevin Hawaii, Corey Hawaii. Hold it, you're disqualified because you just flipped it up now and you crossed off well he wrote and wrote that, come on, he already.
Speaker 3: Had it written.
Speaker 4: Usually write down three or four answers and then ask you why you.
Speaker 1: Kind of weirdly like lifted it up kind of late for it.
Speaker 4: We can look at the film.
Speaker 6: Let's go to the film for the drama and.
Speaker 1: Spencer with Hawaii. The room did very well. That's a spencer ism.
Speaker 6: It's a good question.
Speaker 1: The room did very well. Correct answers Hawaii trick question, No, not trick at all. They live in the Atlantic and Caribbean.
Speaker 3: I was kind of going off a water temp thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know what this isn't even in my tidbit. There's been a couple of Massachusetts and one they actually had to rescue and bring it back down south because the water is so cold.
Speaker 6: Far north they've gotten.
Speaker 1: In twenty twelve. That's is far north, Okay. In twenty twelve, a fifty three year old Florida woman was arrested after riding a manatee at De Soto State Park in Florida. She was captured in a photo committing the act, and a misdemeanor arrest warrant was issued in Panelas County. They picked her up while working at a Sears rail fifteen dollars. Well, your question two, hold on.
Speaker 4: To fish with this guide in Belize they call him sea cows down there. He told me when they were kids, they used to eat those things, kill them and need them.
Speaker 1: I haven't met anybody that's ever told me that. That's interesting.
Speaker 6: What years that woman arrested twenty twelve?
Speaker 1: It's kind of ad Yeah. Two, everybody knows baby rabbits are called bunnies or kits. Well, what are baby hairs called? This is another one I would have got right.
Speaker 6: How did your network of folks that you've reached out to about getting questions? Did they come for you real?
Speaker 1: Finger tried coupled HM. One of them was pretty good, But I already had my already had my.
Speaker 6: Uh multiple choice, already have my multiple choice.
Speaker 1: He had a great multiple choice. I'll share it with you, great multiple choice. But I was pretty committed to the man previously.
Speaker 6: You told me that you were not going to respect the verticals if it came out and you didn't have if you didn't have any fishing questions or cooking questions. You were just gonna move the never.
Speaker 1: Gave you the thought. Okay, not announced.
Speaker 6: Do we know the balance.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of animal questions. Okay, just pay attention. Okay, everybody ready reveal your answers. Kids for Seth, Randall's calling them fauns, Trust is calling a fun Kevin pupps, Corey Peach fuzz already cubs. Yanni's got it. I'm gonna give it to Yanni lev And Spencer has fun. I'm giving it to Yanni. Oddly, here's the tidbit. Oddly, pine squirrels are an important predator of snowshoe hair leveretts. In nineteen ninety four, a researcher in Alberta found that over twenty percent of Leverett mortality was caused by pine squirrels. And here's something trippier. Everyone knows that snowshoe hairs have large amplitude cycles, often in seven year intervals, meaning population booms on a seven year interval swing. It's not well understood why these cycles do not occur south of the boreal forest in the Rockies. This is going to be inspiring. Perhaps someday a listener out there might help solve this mystery.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 6: Number three, someone's antenna is up right now thinking about that. What are the adults called then hairs?
Speaker 1: So you know altricioal and pre kocial hairs are pre kocial they're born follyferred eyes open rabbits so like a snowshoe hair. A jack rabbit, which is actually a hair, are pre kocial rabbits. Cottontail rabbits are electricial. They're born hairless and blind.
Speaker 2: Is that the male rabbits called.
Speaker 6: Bucks and dose?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Question three? Everyone knows that Alaska and Hawaii. Listen, everyone knows that Alaska and Hawaii are the forty ninth and fiftieth states, respectively. What in the hell was the forty eighth state?
Speaker 6: Which category is this?
Speaker 1: Geography? Okay, Arizona is a great state to try to draw hunting tag in.
Speaker 3: They're trying to ask, Siri.
Speaker 6: Yes, prompted.
Speaker 2: Sorely for the forty state.
Speaker 10: Sh I gotta say, the vibes in this room are foreboding.
Speaker 3: There's I feel forty eight? Yes? Thanks?
Speaker 1: Why is so much attention given to the forty ninth and fiftieth states?
Speaker 3: Because they're not attached.
Speaker 5: Forty the biggest onetached.
Speaker 1: They're like afterthoughts.
Speaker 6: Now do you know forty seven, forty six, forty five off the top of your hand?
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't know the answer to this. Okay, I would have gotten this one.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe I would have guessed it.
Speaker 6: It's a hint.
Speaker 1: I went and visited the forty ninth state.
Speaker 6: I don't know if I don't know if this question would have flied if I would have asked it.
Speaker 1: Are you ready for the everybody ready?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 7: Not quite?
Speaker 1: This might be the hardest one. Okay, I didn't know it.
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Did you reveal your answers? Seth says Nevada, Randall, Nevada, Terresa, Louisiana, Kevin Close with New Mexico, Corey, Wyoming, Brody, Oregon, Giannis, Nevada, Spencer, Oregon. The correct answer is Arizona.
Speaker 6: What was your commentary at beating about Arizona?
Speaker 1: Gave the answer away? What the hell I said Arizona? You said, what's the relevance? I said, Arizona is a good place to apply for hunting tags.
Speaker 6: Okay, Wow, that is man, that's quite the trick.
Speaker 11: This is a masterclass.
Speaker 3: Now we're going to think about that a lot for the next You Ready for the tidbit?
Speaker 1: The factoid?
Speaker 6: Well, I call it that, but people have criticized that because apparently definite and the definition of factoid is like kind of loosely, loosely factual but not one hundred percent factual, So they recommend tidbit, tidbit or just a fact factoid is a little too loose.
Speaker 1: Here's a tidbit for you. September fifteenth, twenty twenty two. So about a year ago, police were investigating a burglary at a suspected abandoned home in Arizona and found a burglar, all right. They also found a mummified body in the bathtub. Neighbors thought the woman had moved away, but she was just dead and dried out in her tub. And this other old lady was stealing the deceased stuff in Arizona.
Speaker 3: Isn't this one like the tid four? Like you give us, you give us the year became a state and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm not I like it.
Speaker 6: Or I thought the woman was like killed by a bear or something, and that's.
Speaker 1: That's just something from Arizona. Four In what month of the year is National Hunting and Fishing Day? In? What month of the year is National Hunting and Fishing Day?
Speaker 3: I should know this?
Speaker 13: Why because the local sports I grew up, Skidi Greek Sportsman's Club always out a National Hunting and Fishing Day celebration and my family used to make like a big kettle of bean soup for it every year.
Speaker 11: Well what time of year did they cook the beans?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's backwards.
Speaker 6: It's kind of a hint. I was gonna say, great, that's how Randall does so good.
Speaker 1: Now you think about he approaches this in that fast.
Speaker 6: Seth is now changing his answer because he just dies, how do you like them beans?
Speaker 3: Seth?
Speaker 1: He doesn't have anything written.
Speaker 3: Down I did. Now I'm changing in What month of.
Speaker 1: The year is National Hunting and Fishing Day?
Speaker 6: Are you having fun, Steve? I'd rather be playing, Okay, I'd rather be hosting. I think so it works out well.
Speaker 1: Everybody ready, yes, show your answers please. Seth gets it right with September, Randall September, Tresa, November, Kevin September, Corey one month off with October, Brody dob with September. Jana's two months off with November, Spencer, one month off with October. National Hunting and Fishing Day takes place the fourth Saturday of every September. Congress passed the bill unanimously in nineteen seventy two. Let me tell you what else has happened in nineteen seventy two, the band Kiss was formed and McDonald's launched the egg McMuffin.
Speaker 4: Question five, you got a favorite Kiss song?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that O seth O seth. I hear him calling. This is the listener question of the week with a question from Isaiah toll PhD Ooh, Isaiah, you'll see that I had to tweak your question a bit, but we'll still be sending you a signed book as a way of saying NaNs Now, Spencer, can we switch to a signed board game?
Speaker 6: Once we have the board games, you'll.
Speaker 1: Switch to that. Okay, let Spencer know if you'd like to wait and get a signed board game instead of a book. What piece of trapping equipment might be required by law to be equipped with a deer stop? What piece of trapping equipment might be required by law to be equipped with a deer stop?
Speaker 3: It's a great question, it is.
Speaker 1: That's why this is the listener question of the week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you choose it or Spencer?
Speaker 1: I picked it nice.
Speaker 3: That's a great question.
Speaker 1: I Spencer gave me access to listener questions and he assigned me. He's he's behind, and I understand why the volume is. There's a lot, it's great and there's so much good stuff there. You can't just you got to pay attention. He assigned me August one to fifteenth, and he wouldn't mess around in August one to fifteenth. I pulled inspiration for a few and only I only got up to like August five. I started August one and I only got up to August five.
Speaker 11: When I was done, I have August fifteenth through thirtieth.
Speaker 6: Randall's gonna host an episode coming up as well, and about it.
Speaker 9: Already reveal that No, it's good, but uh, I happened to that happened to be in that time period was when the episode of Trivia with your Prime Meridian question was released. So about half of the emails are objecting to the phrasing of your question about the prime Meridian.
Speaker 1: I didn't host that episode.
Speaker 6: I did, but it was a question you called me about. You felt so strong, so I.
Speaker 1: Don't think I dictated to him the exact phrasing.
Speaker 6: Now, I specifically approved it with you before the question, right anyway, did I did?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 11: No, that's thanks for pointing that out.
Speaker 1: But then it was struck.
Speaker 3: Later it was struck.
Speaker 6: We had two questions.
Speaker 1: A piece of trapping equipment might be required by law to be equip with a deer stop. Answers, please, oh, set snare or cable restraint? Correct Randall snare, trust him clamp, Kevin pan Corey conna Bear spelled wrong, Brody snare, Janna snare, and Spencer conna Bear spelled correctly. The correct answer is a snare or cable restraint. This isn't my tidbit, but a deer stop is a farrell that you crimp onto a snare so that it can only close to a minimum diameter.
Speaker 6: Well, what's a feral stop?
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 1: So the snare fires and closes, but it'll it'll be set by law that it can't be less than a two and a half inch circle, meaning a deer's hoof is never gonna it's never gonna close.
Speaker 2: It's just like a ring around the wire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the preventsive closing all the way, so the lock can't close infinitely.
Speaker 6: Have you ever seen that happen?
Speaker 1: No, Because I use deer stops a.
Speaker 3: Lot of states we have to have deer stops also have two hundred and fifty pounds breakaways too, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this state doesn't require a stop, but it requires a breakaway.
Speaker 3: The Pennsylvania like had a breakaway. So if the deer was like deer bear whatever got caught, sure it could still break away with two hundred fifty pounds of pressure.
Speaker 1: No, here is my tidbit. Let's say I told you I was making a car a snare using seven by seven three thirty second aircraft cable. What would that mean. It would mean that there's seven strands of wire formed into each strand then I took seven of those in eight of those, so it's seven strands made of seven wires each in the diameter would be three thirty seconds of an inch. If snaring fox, you want an eight inch loop eight inches off the ground. Raccoons you want a six to eight inch loop three to five inches off the ground, Coyotes you want a ten to twelve inch loop ten to twelve inches off the ground. And for beaver, you want a ten inch loop just two to three inches off the ground.
Speaker 4: What about those feral questions in Hawaii? Didn't you know someone who snared?
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know. I don't know the loop size, but I'm guess it's a mighty big loop size.
Speaker 3: Big cable too.
Speaker 10: We've got Tressa with one point Apncer with one, Corey with one point just butted right in there, Seth and Kevin have two points apiece, and all tied up in first place are Randall, Jannison Brody, who have three.
Speaker 1: Wow a nail in What states does the Appalachian Trail begin to end? I'll accept either the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail or the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail.
Speaker 3: We only need one.
Speaker 1: I'll accept either.
Speaker 11: And we just need the state, not the physical landmark.
Speaker 1: Either state. You have a one in twenty five of getting it right. Just a randomly rite down a state. Can we write do you write down Hawaii?
Speaker 3: Can we write down two states? And if we're double? No, like, can we write down two states if one's wrong?
Speaker 1: No? No no no no no no no no. If you wrote down both the rights, I'll be impressed, But no, you can't be putting down like shotgun in it.
Speaker 4: We even't had this one before or something.
Speaker 1: No check.
Speaker 6: We had a question that was about it's how many states does the Appalachian Trail run through for the tiebreaker? But we have not had this.
Speaker 1: These are all checked, don'torry.
Speaker 4: It reminded me.
Speaker 3: Of something.
Speaker 1: In what states does the Appalachian Trail begin and end? I will accept either the southern terminus or the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail.
Speaker 3: Or appellation a relation Appalachian.
Speaker 1: Read our Long Hunters project, our our oral history of the Long Hunters. We're using Appalachian.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: My wife went to Appalachian State.
Speaker 3: I think it's like a Mason Dixon thing.
Speaker 5: I read an account of a guy who did this trail twenty five years ago, and it was fun, it was entertaining. He said the best part was the hamburgers when he hit civilization. And I was enjoying the book. And then at the end he got to somewhere and maybe I'll wait till because there might be a clue in this.
Speaker 1: Ready to show your answers. Seth Maine, Randall, Georgia, Tresa, Tennessee, Kevin Maine Corey, Tennessee, Brody Maine, Jannis, Maine, Spencer, New York. The Appalachian Trail begins. It's well, depending which way you're going, runs between Maine and Georgia. Specific points in Maine and Georgia.
Speaker 11: Mount Catatin, Yep and Stone Mountain.
Speaker 1: Can't remember. Oh for this questions tidbit, Let's take a look at the Civil War. Maine provided the highest per capita ratio of soldiers to the Union Army, with eighty thousand enlisted fighters. Over one in ten would die. Maine's losses about nine thousand, four hundred killed. Georgia sent about one hundred and twenty thousand men into combat for the Confederacy. Surprisingly, about five thousand Georgians fought for the Union. Of those one hundred and twenty thousand men, somewhere between eleven thousand and twenty five thousand Georgians died on the battlefield or from wounds suffered. There Question seven.
Speaker 2: Nothing just media to finish.
Speaker 1: The guy loved, Oh yeah, the guy yeah, the burgers.
Speaker 5: And then at the very last chapter he gets to Maine and complained about moose hunts. Ruined the whole book, just how it shouldn't happen. It was an anti hunting story.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that invested if it was read the end?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I read the.
Speaker 1: End, burst to make sure.
Speaker 2: Do you remember who wrote I don't.
Speaker 5: It was a comedian till back in the woods.
Speaker 3: That was it.
Speaker 1: He got pissed about moose hunt.
Speaker 5: Yep, it ruined the whole story, was the last.
Speaker 6: Is it more common to go south to north or north to south?
Speaker 11: You can start earlier, you can start earlier in the south.
Speaker 1: Well, guys never coming on the show, I can tell you that question. Seven. In the twenty first century, so the century we're in now, there have been seventy three fatal bear attacks in North America in the wild, caused by three species of bears, in order of most fatal attacks to least fatal attacks. List the bear species.
Speaker 2: So you want three names here.
Speaker 1: An order of deadliest to least deadliest in the twenty first century in the wild in North America.
Speaker 14: Twenty first century.
Speaker 6: Wow, side of the table's confident.
Speaker 4: How up to date is this thing? Because there's been a lot of action lately.
Speaker 1: I trust me. What do you originally wrote this? Was it.
Speaker 6: Wrote it last night?
Speaker 1: Oh? Everybody ready?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Hold on? In the twenty first century, there have been seventy three fatal bear attacks in North America in the wild, caused by three species of bears, in order of most fatal attacks to least fatal attacks. List the bear species, show your answers, Seth grizzly black Polar, Randall grizzly black Polar, Trusse Polar, grizzly black, Kevin black brown Polar, So black, grizzly polar, they're brown bears, Corey black, grizzly Polar.
Speaker 3: What I really messed up?
Speaker 1: You mean? What? So, just for listeners at home for confusion, H, grizzly bears and brown bears are the same thing, same species, Brody, grizzly black, You got yours messed up?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I know, I left Polar out, Grizzly, grizzly black Polar, Spencer grizzly black Polar.
Speaker 1: There were thirty seven fatal grizzly attacks, thirty two fatal black bear attacks, and four fatal polar bear attacks, so the correct answer would be grizzly black polar. For the tidbit, you know how I said, there are seventy three bear attacks so far this century. Seventy three is the smallest number with twelve letters, and it's spelled out name.
Speaker 6: That's good. This is your best question. In fact, I like it.
Speaker 11: It's like the Mad Hatter version.
Speaker 1: Question eighth reminds me of you don't know about I was we're on a normal path to normal.
Speaker 11: This reminds me of the opening scene and dances with wolves when he shows.
Speaker 1: Up at the the guy that kills himself.
Speaker 11: Yeah, mad, the mad colonel.
Speaker 3: That's sort of your For.
Speaker 8: A second there, I couldn't come up with the third bear. I'm like, really, we've got three bears on this continent. And then it finally came to me.
Speaker 1: There was a double there was a double attack. A woman and her child were killed. Polar bear this century. This animal species urine. P This animal species urine is sometimes used as a hallucinogenic after it consumes the fly A garrick mushroom. This animal species urine is sometimes used as a hallucinogenic after it consumes the fly agaric mushroom spencer.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 6: I got this one, but I think I'm out of the game. This is question eight filled.
Speaker 3: Where's that thing? Bro?
Speaker 1: I'll give you a hit, don't give it.
Speaker 7: No, Oh, man, how.
Speaker 11: How specific do we need to be?
Speaker 1: I wasna write the animal down?
Speaker 3: Yeah, mm hmm. What do you do?
Speaker 1: There's a scorecard update now after this.
Speaker 6: Questions question, I would do this if you got me the urine from this thing?
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: Maybe someone can send some over.
Speaker 3: How commonplace drugs have become?
Speaker 1: Reveal your answer something like that and seth deer not quite litill too loose? Randall Toad said, Kevin a heel a monster, Corey deer, yeah, Brody reindeer yeah, Giannis reindeer, spencer, cariboo. I'll accept reindeer, cariboo. I will not accept. You said, have to be specific though, well it's not a servid.
Speaker 6: His answer is right down the animal said, yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh. As as the tibet. For this one, I'll point out that the taxonomous I think we should. Taxonomists regard all reindeer and caribou as one species. So even though you have woodland caribou and barren ground caribou, if you asked a geneticist, the geneticist would come and tell you that Europe's reindeer North America's caribou are all one giants, one giant meta species. At your tidbit.
Speaker 6: I think there's also some like Santa Claus lore that's been a signed to people drinking the urine of reindeer caribou, and that has to deal with something with their flight or Santa in general. It's all, uh, it's all tied together.
Speaker 1: So the flyer garrick is a red mushroom with white spots. If you're watching cartoons, there's a mushroom. There's a nine chance that mushroom is a flyer garrett.
Speaker 6: And we do have them in Montana.
Speaker 1: I found some fly garricks one time growing in Seattle between the sidewalk and the street.
Speaker 7: Mm hmm uh.
Speaker 1: What else about fly gerricks?
Speaker 6: If you want to consume them for the hallucigenetic qualities, it's recommended that you boil them, get rid of that water, and then boil them again, and then it is safe to consume.
Speaker 1: This statement or or give it to your reindeer and then drink it. There we go.
Speaker 10: I want to edit the word safe out of the scorebrod update Phil, Yeah, I love to tressa. Corey Spencer and Kevin are out of the running for the wind. Yes, Kevin Spencer had three points apiece.
Speaker 3: They're up there.
Speaker 10: And we've got Seth with four points, Randall and Brody with five, and Giannis is in first place with.
Speaker 1: Six and by looking ahead, he's not a bad physician. Question nine. This Pine Bluff, Arkansas Natives Company, which is named after himself, was the first to mass produce archery sets and equipment, and he was among the first archers admitted into the Archery Hall of Fame. This hind Bluff, Arkansas Natives Company, which is named after himself, was the first to mass produce archery sets and equipment, and he was among the first archers admitted into the Archery Hall of Fame?
Speaker 3: Does he still live there?
Speaker 1: Quiet? Good content? It's a sense of dread.
Speaker 3: As Steve slowly SIPs from his mug.
Speaker 1: Seth has now.
Speaker 3: I've got an educated guess.
Speaker 1: You got, Cory, you do?
Speaker 6: I just gotta be Katie. Will you tell us what questions she got?
Speaker 5: Right? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's going back to the white boar.
Speaker 11: We let this one cook too long. But maybe he's changing it to the wrong answer.
Speaker 1: He might be, yeah, only one of the right. Reveal your answers, please, sorry. This Pine Bluff, Arkansas Natives Company, which is named after himself, was the first to mass produced archery sets and equipment, and he was among the first archers admitted into the Archery Hall of Fame. Show your answers, please, Seth Matt McPherson, W. Randall. Going with the obvious but not correct Fred Bhar Trusse It nothing, Hoyton, Corey, Fred Bhar Brody, Fred Bhar Giannis Pearson, Spencer Baar. The correct answer is the maker of my first compound bow, Ben Pearson.
Speaker 5: My family's from Sweden, not Darkansas.
Speaker 1: By the company by Ben Pearson. The company's fiftieth anniversary in nineteen ninety. In nineteen eighty eight, so the company had been in business fifty years. In nineteen eighty eight, it had three hundred and fifty employees and one hundred million dollars in payroll. That year, the company presented Governor Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton with the six millionth bow and two hundred millionth arrow that they manufactured. That year, Clinton was forty two, his wife Hillary was forty one, his future girlfriend Monica just fifteen.
Speaker 7: It's good.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: There's no false sense of anticipation.
Speaker 3: Is the winner? How's that possible, Steve.
Speaker 9: Because he gave you those extra five minutes answer question ten.
Speaker 3: Let's play anyways.
Speaker 1: The name of this national forest, which covers almost four hundred thousand acres in the American South, is much more widely known as the name for a NASCAR race track.
Speaker 6: You're gonna get this one, right, Yannie? I think so you're gonna win by what?
Speaker 1: Two? Three?
Speaker 3: Two?
Speaker 6: Cleaned up on?
Speaker 1: Keep it too.
Speaker 3: I'm nervous. Can we talk about what we have to go do later after work? Today?
Speaker 1: Not a good time?
Speaker 6: What do you gotta do?
Speaker 8: We're going to well, Garretts already cooked the chili, but we're going to serve chili and hang out with the MSU Bobcats football team.
Speaker 6: Which part of that makes you know?
Speaker 1: Garrett made thirty six gallons.
Speaker 3: Of chili, holy shit, and his aunt baked and.
Speaker 1: Fifty corn muffins. Each person present will be allowed to court to chill.
Speaker 11: I think there's one hundred did you say one hundred pounds of potato salad.
Speaker 1: And there's a lot of concern about them eating through the chili that they would eat through.
Speaker 9: A sort of chili ideas is that they'll be encouraged to make chili dogs rather than everybody get a court to a half gallon of chili.
Speaker 11: We stretched out by serving chili a.
Speaker 6: Dog college rosters like ninety three kids or something.
Speaker 1: The name of this national forest, which covers almost four hundred thousand acres in the South, is much more widely known as a name for a NASCAR race track.
Speaker 3: Those boys can probably eat too serving chili.
Speaker 1: Answers please Daytona, Seth Randall, Talladega, trusted Daytona, Kevin Talladega, Corey Talladega, Brody Tuskegee. See where he was going, Yanni Talladega, Spencer Talladega. The correct answer is Talladega National Forest, created in nineteen thirty six by FDR Who. Here's the tidbit, the first sitting president to fly in an airplane. Wow, really they can for playing trivia.
Speaker 8: I want to know how if Kevin had a good time on his first time, I had time.
Speaker 5: I waited for the bone until the ninth question, never think it would be my name.
Speaker 1: But oh well, oh I didn't even think. Oh was that the bone? No I forgot the bone.
Speaker 11: That was unintentional.
Speaker 3: No bone.
Speaker 4: I forgot the bone about deer teeth or something.
Speaker 3: No I was waiting for that.
Speaker 1: I really was cementum.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you might we can maybe invite Kevin back for a normal game when Spencer's hosted.
Speaker 6: Which we recorded about five minutes.
Speaker 1: I like this, Steve, so let's hear that you do that five minutes. Do you know what the tiebreaker was?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 12: There?
Speaker 2: Should we just play it? Let's just play it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because let's just play it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: How many states allow suppressors for hunting? This is a tiebreaker, so closest, uh, closest gets it, closest gets it. How many states allow suppressors sometimes known as silencers for hunting? How many states allow suppressors or silencers, which is a misnomer for hunting. Let's make it quick, since it's just purely bonus show your answers. Please Seth with eleven, Randall twenty nine, Trusts with five, Kevin with twenty five, Corey with seven, Broughdy with nine, Janis with fifty, and Spencer with thirty six. I believe it's forty one.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: Who would have won? Yanni Spencer?
Speaker 7: Oh damn.
Speaker 1: On June first, Republican Governor Phil got signed S. Two eight one into law, making Vermont, of all places, the forty first state to allow the use of suppressors while hunting. Sweet, let me ask you this, how many states can't you do it?
Speaker 8: It's I would like to donate Meteor's money.
Speaker 2: I guess my winnings. I guess I get to.
Speaker 8: Direct to how for how for Wildlife, Howell dot org. There's a big fight coming up home in Colorado. There's the right to haunt lions and bobcats, uh and trophy hunting in general. As the as the opposition is uh labeling, it's gonna be up for a referendum, I think, and like it's like within a year, right, Well.
Speaker 4: They got to get the signatures, the signatures which.
Speaker 1: All go off to Whole Foods and get.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Anyway, So I was on a zoom call with a bunch of people and howl dot org last night, and uh, they had some people that worked directly with legislators there to give testimony on how well howl dot org has been working for them. Where like they've they've gotten so many emails sent, so many phone calls made when they've asked howel to help out that they actually have legislators or the office personnel legislators coming to them and saying, look, you guys want can you please turn off the howl machine because we don't want to field any more emails. So it was great to hear that. It was great to hear that it's working and and that and that people from the opposition are testifying about what this howl thing is. And so it's gotten so big that the opposition is like, oh my gosh, like we don't have a clear pathway. This howel thing is working. So I want to bring more light to them and and have everybody you know go check them out, follow him on Instagram, give them some money. And then when you get the Instagram thing that says send a message.
Speaker 5: Do it.
Speaker 1: Yep. When you're walking into Whole Foods to buy your meat and I's some person standing out there, havn't you sign this stupid thing? Don't sign the damn thing. And then when it does all get signed and it comes to the ballot, you have to beat in the ballot. People got to keep hope because just because you get a ballot initiative doesn't mean it'll pass. Main be a ballt initiative around bear hunting Montana. Beat a ballt initiative around trapping soundly beat it. You guys will beat this thing Rocking Mountain do Jeff fun I think the whole beginning of the end made it for Colorado. Might have been John Denver.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 1: The other thing I'm starting to notice this, the states that most quickly and enthusiastically embrace legal weed are the states that most enthusiastically embraced hunting bands. Washington, Colorado, Alaska pretty quick. That was an outlier. Something about people that don't want to hide in the bushes when they smoke weed.
Speaker 3: They're like.
Speaker 1: Used to hide. Owners are used to hide in the bushes, So I don't mind smoking.
Speaker 6: How long until you host another show?
Speaker 1: I don't think I'm gonna do it again. I'd rather play.
Speaker 6: Okay, well next week.
Speaker 1: It's like who wants the umpire? Our umpire is glad to be there? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Good job, Steve, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: Thank you, guys.
Speaker 10: Uh on the seal gray shine like silver in the sun.
Speaker 1: Ride, Ride, Ride on along, Sweetheart. Were done, beat this damn horse to death, taking a new one and ride. We're done beat this damn horse today, So take your new one and ride on.