Speaker 1: To on remove Golan Deep Speedlas past Peas from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 3: He's joy my hav hands in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: What is up Dolph fans and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield and on today's show, Fien.
Speaker 2: That is it. That is all.
Speaker 4: There is no more training camp in twenty twenty four is a wrap. We have the notes from the last day of work with our in state Cross Conference rivals. Plus we'll hear from head coach Mike McDaniel, wide receivers Jylen Waddle and Braxon Barrios, and a whole heck of a lot more from the road in Tampa Bay. This is the Draft Time Podcast.
Speaker 1: Couzie gaffis.
Speaker 2: Disclaimer off the top.
Speaker 4: We are back to a USB microphone on the road, so I hope the audio quality is where we've come to expect it with the upgrades and equipment I have recently on the last couple of months of podcast here, but want to go ahead and put that out there off the top because I have become very strict about the audio quality here on the show. I hope it sounds good. I think it sounds good. I've tested it a few times. Sounds good to me. I guess we'll find out from the audience what you all think. And speaking of all of that, it's a wrap on my fifth training camp, sixth in total, five with the team, I should say six in total, and time sure flies when you're having fun, man, I will say, I think this year, more than any the camp fatigue has kind of settled in, and this podcast is something of a celebration, not necessarily the camp is over, but that the season is really upon us for the Miami Dolphins. One more exhibition game Friday, and I have a podcast coming up that will cover that for you guys tomorrow. But I'm ready for the season, man. And I think today was a really good close to training camp, a rather dominant day by your Miami Dolphins. But I think this camp as a whole was just a smashing success. I don't remember a camp in my five years that was so intentional and obviously that first year they had to get familiar with everything and there you know, last year was fine tuning, taking things to another level. But I think this year was more of a playground for the coaches and players to really try things out and hone in on things they wanted to work on, to sharpen those things and expand what this offense can be when things get tough, when the bread and butter gets taken away from press man or two man and trying to I should say two man with with coverage shells that can defend the run from those looks as well as take away your deep passing.
Speaker 2: What can you do beyond that?
Speaker 4: And we have heard from players that there's some stuff that's coming on the pike you haven't seen yet, and that that shouldn't surprise anybody, And that should be a good reason why you don't just uniformly dismiss this team based upon a couple of training camp reports, because as they are going to come out in September with cutting edge innovation that no one has ever seen before, like they have done the last couple of years. But last year I talked about how excited I was for a team that I felt could really win in any form or fashion in the sixth ranked rushing offense, the top ranked passing offense, a defense that turned the screws by about midway through the season, a kicker that nails five field goals in a game or a playoff clinching game, they just had it all. And this brings me to a point that I want to address on the pod real quick, because I know you guys have seen it.
Speaker 2: I know you've talked about it.
Speaker 4: I know Kyle Krabs, the great host of the Lockdown Dolphins podcast, has been a visceray in this take on his show today as I speak here, but using the December records of this team in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one versus McDaniel's team in twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three, Like, what the hell are we doing? You know, it's the same thing for all these detractors, you know, goalposts being moved, like Stephen Ruiz for instance, which my circle has a joke that we don't ever talk about Stephen Ruiz, even if it's to dunk on him. You don't bring them up because it's not worth it. And for those not in the know, you know, first think, first of all, think you're lucky stars. But he's a writer for the Ringer, and you know that changes. He changes the way he sees the game based on his priors, like this guy is supposed to be a quarterback guru, which is hilarious in its own right. And last year he said the anticipation might not be a good thing because you're guessing, like, okay, dude, tell us you've never once played or seen a coaching clinic without telling us, right and man, just to confirm your priors. It's such a bad way to approach this whole thing. And he had a tweet about McDaniel's win loss record, like, to me, it's so funny how these accounts will be quiet while two was on a player of the Month pace, which happens every year the last two years. You know, these stretches of play where you just can't say anything negative about the guy because he's completing seventy five percent of his passes for nine yards attempt, and he's throwing ten touchdowns to two picks in those runs. And then something negative comes out or he plays poorly in a game, and those guys just jump on Twitter to get their takes off, right, And he compared the win loss record of McDaniel in December to Brian Floores, which minds you go back and look at the schedules, and the quarterbacks those teams played. And you can see the easy answer right there for yourself. But my biggest thing here, like, if you are paid to cover this game and you're willing to boil everything down to a single number, if that's all it took to analyze football, every single person listening to this podcast and listening to any football podcast anywhere would then go quit their job and work in football content because that makes it really easy. Anybody can tell me someone's passer rating. It is such a disgrace to the game and to this profession in general to do that. And that's why I'm biting back today because I just think fans deserve more than that. I think you deserve more than passer rating ninety one point too. He sucked like that is not at all how it works, man. Like for instance, notice Ben Volan, where the hell does this guy come from? By the way, doesn't he cover the Patriots? Like he's part of that contingency? And I thought he went away when he was, you know, grifting back in twenty twenty two, But here he is again, just talking about the records and who's got the better results. Just these opinions from folks that you would never trust the ones that continue to show up when there's something negative or could be construed as negative towards the Miami quarterback.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: And it's just so funny because you know, I see to a ball out at practice, come back and play guitar with his wife and kids and just have a great time, and everyone kind of gather around his aura as this lovable, likable guy that is a top ten quarterback atop five or six quarterback who everybody wants to be around. And yet you have these miserable people on Twitter tweeting about the guy. And I'm so glad that he came out and said, like, I don't care about the good or the bad because it doesn't matter to me. That's how you should approach this thing. And I will, since I do operate in the space, I will gladly go to bat for a guy that I like personally, that I know personally that I love his game, I always have since the Alabama days.
Speaker 2: And I just think it's kind of sad.
Speaker 4: It's kind of sad that you're staying up all nights of the all hours of the night to tweet about a guy who hasn't thought about you ever.
Speaker 2: Once.
Speaker 4: And the reason that I do get into this die try because I was thinking about all of this on the drive into Tampa, where you know, everybody's pointing out the playoff record, the Oftens haven't won playoff games, therefore it's not successful. And look, that's another thing where I go back to, like are you providing a service to your readers by providing context and listing out the reasons why things were the way they were? Or are you just pointing to an ultimate WNL column and being like sports writer you know, like that's not valuable to you.
Speaker 2: Guys, you can do that.
Speaker 4: It's an insult to your intelligence to do that, right. I get there's a reason why all these ESPN shows and talking heads and just yelling into a microphone is successful. There's a faction of the world that likes that, right, but not here, not on drive time, dude, and everyone always points to that playoff record, the inability to play in the cold weather, and I just keep thinking, like, this team was fifty yards away in twenty twenty two from beating Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills on the road with the seventh round rookie quarterback who still doesn't really see the offense that well, who's never been more than a third string quarterback in the NFL. So if we get those fifty yards, if we get the proper measurement on the third downplay, that gives us a first down, and then go on to score on that drive, which we probably wouldn't have because that that game never had to drive over forty yards on the offense. But we were that close to pulling off a huge double digit point underdog upset. And if you get that win and then you go into Kansas City the following week and get proper wax, which they would have, right, there's no way they would have pulled off a miracle twice there with the current quarterback situation. Would that have changed how you felt about where this team is today? Would that have changed anything for you? To win a game without Tua? Does that change anything? You would have said that was two years ago and it was like a fluke, right, I guarantee that'd be the take. I'm just curious because we put way too much into these small sample sizes in a game that is often dictated by the flip of a coin, and there's only sixteen of them, seventeen of them every single year.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 4: I mean, seventeen games in baseball is like a drop in the bucket. We see these reactions to you know, Austin Booker on Hard Knocks, Oh, that he had a sack In practice, the Bears made the right choice trading up for him, really, really, because we've seen guys have dominant rookie years and never come back again.
Speaker 2: So I just really despise.
Speaker 4: I loathe this short timeline expansion of that's who the player is, that's who this team is.
Speaker 2: And look, I get it.
Speaker 4: I get that the narrative is yours to change, and I just think it's disingenuous to do that in this position.
Speaker 2: I get it when fans do it.
Speaker 4: I get it when you guys are upset on social media, and I probably get a little sensitive when you say that stuff I believe otherwise, and maybe I clap back sometimes and I shouldn't. And I get that you have the emotions that you are entitled to. I'm that fan a lot of the times as well. I do a better job nowadays of staying off Twitter when those case those cases arrive. But if you cover this game, I think you owe it to the fans to provide the why and the context of things like if you go if you guys are from there with locked On podcast network, you probably are because that's where I came from. And Kyle Krabs does a great job there. The Lockdown Titans guy did a film segment breakdown and he didn't know what he was doing.
Speaker 2: It's very clear he.
Speaker 4: Didn't know what he was doing, and Luke McCown got on him and Kurt Warner got on him, like, your job is to convey context and provide analysis for fans that want more, to want to understand more about this game. That's how I view my job. That's how the Dolphins view my job. And I just think it's a mega, mega disservice to use your own personal agendas and peel things back to their very basic core numbers to just say wins, losses, passer rating.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's all.
Speaker 4: Okay, rant over And I'm really excited right now because you know, I also think I'm a little bit ready to move to September and that's where this excitement comes from. But I think it's going to have you know, this camp is going to have this nice tangible impact on the season. And I also kind of feel like it's kind of unfinished business from last year. And as coach always says again to the point about narratives, you're the one that's in control of what your narrative will be going forward. And unfortunately, the narrative, no matter how good this team might be up into Thanksgiving, you know, if they're nine and two going into that Packer game, the only thing that people are going to talk about is not the nine and two. They're going to talk about how do they perform in Lambeau on Thanksgiving, in Cleveland in week seventeen and at the Jets in Week eight. Team the cold weather road games will always be the thing that the detractors point back to. If this team is sitting once again at nine and two or nine and three, whatever it might be, none of it will matter in the detractor's eyes. So I am ready for the opportunity for this team to prove that wrong. As they say, our narratives until they are not. And it'll only take one to put some cold water on that. Much like Steve Young and the Monkey Off the back game and Peyton Manning and finally beating Belichick in the playoffs, and Drew Brees and finally getting his big victory. It happened to every single quarterback that ever play this game, and it's the great ones that ultimately ultimately overcome that. And I think our quarterback in this team are in that category and can become that who get that ring. And move us on to the next facet of all this.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and.
Speaker 4: Start the show today here as we already deep into it ranting and raving with sound from coach regarding a common theme on the show and in the media circles among the players, the third year in the system and the comfort that creates. I was such a fan of that answer from Frank Smith earlier this week that I wanted to follow up with Coach McDaniel on the way the third year in the offense streamlines communication and really what I was getting at is can we get in and out of the play the huddle a little bit faster than we have in the past.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, you know, reps are key, specially deliberate reps and where you know, I think there's a lot of things that our benefits of being able to have a streamline communication and just you.
Speaker 6: Know, exped expedited.
Speaker 5: Uh coaching process to the players, because the one thing is not only to do all your position coaches understand the expectations, but the players do as well. So you get a new guy on the team, a new guy in your position group. And the fastest way for people to learn how to do something is to watch a teammate do it correctly.
Speaker 6: So the more the more.
Speaker 5: Elite technique that we are able to put on tape, the faster the whole the process goes for all new players. And you know, I think that that's what you're looking for your three is You kind of expect that, but players have to earn that.
Speaker 6: Or work towards that, and I think they really.
Speaker 5: Have leaned into it, found new ways to get better while sharpening their acts for the stuff that they're good at.
Speaker 4: And earlier I used that term cold water. And that's how this practice on Wednesday began, at least with the team period, as Tua tried to shoot one up the sideline to Braxon Barrios, but Zion McCollum stepped in front of it and picked it off. Really nice tracking on the ball there, and they must have just gotten to it their rotation because from that point he was locked in. And I want to play this sound for you because this from Braxon Barrios tells you about that play, and they would later come back to that play for Braxton for a big gain. This this is what training camp was all about, and this is why you should be excited about your twenty twenty four Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 7: No, absolutely double down on that. I mean even today there was something I came back from a route and immediately we were talking and you know, I'm not saying that that's foreign or that's rare, but you know, when it's in practice, you know a lot of times that didn't happen because you know, you move on to the next play, but you know comes up and we have that communication right there on the sideline and the next time we get it. So I think the communication and the vocalness of him has been has been a huge step.
Speaker 4: And he came back with two explosive plays really almost immediately, and one of them was a shot to Braxen Barrios, who had a hell of a day on pretty much the exact same play, and then also one to Devon Chen who did the type of stuff today that made him an eight yards per carry running back last year. The throat to Braxen, though, was this gorgeous throw that I've seen too a make. I've lost count of how many times he's made this throw where there's a like a deep over like twenty five thirty yards down the field. Defender tries to undercut it. Maybe they're not giving his arm enough love or enough respect, and they try to undercut this throw and it goes right over the top of them into the bucket. A nice little layer on that throw that goes for about thirty yards. He also had a long touchdown pass it on eighth Chan up the sideline as well, and there was a defender in coverage right on his hip, which McCallum can run. It's the same guys, guys looks like a playmaker out there. And this one has me fired up because I thought that we just barely missed, like several times last year to a Chan, Like there was a ninety plus yard touchdown in the Titans game that I think would have tilted that thing before all the chaos happened at the end of the game. If we were just one yard closer, or if a Chan had maybe taken one more stride before laying out, being a little bit more in sync. But to see Tua hit a chan in stride on a vertical route, that's gotta be a scary thought for opposing defenses. Man, let's go ahead and throw it to coach McDaniel, who talked about the things that he has seen to improve in his game, and the question was framed there was four things to a totus back at the Pro Bowler around that time that he wanted to work on. Wouldn't divulge Coach was asked to divulge. He wouldn't do that, but he did provide an update on those improvements.
Speaker 2: For to a tongue bilevel, let's.
Speaker 6: Just say my confidence.
Speaker 5: And my previous proclamation of him being as coachable as any any player I've ever been around, and like if freakish learner.
Speaker 6: So absolutely.
Speaker 5: You know we were connected from our exit interview right after the season, you know, where we first began the conversations of what those things could look like, and him being the competitor that he is, he wasted no time to attack those You know, I'm I won't divulge exactly what they are, but I think you know, visibly you could see one of them the first time.
Speaker 6: You guys saw him.
Speaker 5: And there was It wasn't like okay, you started to notice that because he was getting to that point of emphasis. No, he wasted no time to to do what you'd hope which is, Hey, bottom line is, I want to get better. I'm not happy with the results, so I'm going to work to change them. And I think that's been the whole mindset of the team. And you know, you're led by the quarterback, so it's very important that he is that way for himself for his production, but along the same lines to lead by example for the what players and coaches and the whole organization need to do for us to get what we want.
Speaker 4: Let's go ahead and put a pen in the show right there. Take our first break late into the show, and come back and hear more about Tua's improvement. The receivers will break down the entire practice. That's all next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by automation. Let's pick it back up here in segment number two with some more sound from Jalen Walla, who was asked, how would you assess Tua's game at this stage?
Speaker 2: Here's the star.
Speaker 6: Receiver, man, Yeah, see it, man? Day in and day out.
Speaker 8: He's just making tremendous plays, playing with a lot of confidence leading our guys, and man, I'm excited for him. I excited for the year, excited for the team, and he's gonna contribute to the team.
Speaker 4: It's good to hear Walla's voice. Good to see him back out there again. He was going through some light work. Haven't had much of a chance to talk to him lately, but I didn't want to run this sound becu I thought it was really cool to hear him talk about a new perspective of when you're out and you can't be out there running routes and doing stuff with your team. How is that perspective added to your I guess the way you see the game from that perspective. On the sideline here once again is dos Penguin.
Speaker 8: Man, you see a lot more, especially when you when you're not playing, you get to watch the offense, you know, work, especially from the sideline view, and when you get back in the game, you kind of can take some of the stuff you learned from sideline because it's like a different point of view. Knowing that you don't have to focus on listen to all these special teams and having players or players around you really get the feedback of receivers with what they're saying and going to the quarterback telling them so kind of get a different view and it definitely helped me when you get back out there.
Speaker 4: Let's continue talking whiteouts right now, because the receivers had a pretty good day today despite being down so many guys. I mean, no Reek, no Waddle and team period, no Obj, no River, kray Craft and Azukama left late in practice, but if you guys saw his tweet after practice, it sounds like he's gonna be just fine. After limping off the practice field, Barrios made a bunch of plays today. McDaniel was loving what he was seeing. We had a different vantage point down on the field today so we could be more in tune to the chatter. And probably my favorite period of the entire of the entire camp so far was these last four plays where both teams lined up with the plus two yard line and I was on the end line ten yards away from all the action, and Miami scored with a slip screen to devon a Chan like the Tyreek conversion against the Cowboys. There was a ball in the corner to Jody Fortson that got broken up. He continues to not really get open, and then on defense plays, Campbell rejected a pass that was thrown on the Bucks first play, and then Nick Needham strapped a receiver for an incomplete ball into the corner. So Miami won that three to one in terms of the the victorious reps there between either side, and I thought those plays were kind of indicative of the entire day Miami's offense splitting a little bit back and forth in a lot of that was the interior run game not getting much going, but the defense was just dominant. Even without the Campbell tip. It was crowded in there just nowhere to go really on either play from my perspective. More on that in a moment. So back to Barrios. He made a bunch of plays. Malik Washington caught a bunch of passes from different alignments, different routes, just showcased his versatility. In fact, Barrios talked after practice about the importance of knowing every position in this Mike McDaniel offense.
Speaker 7: Yeah, a ton, I mean, I think you know in this offense, the more you can do you know, it's not it's not the easiest all around, but you know once once you get one, you get two, you get three. You know, things happen in games, and you know the fact of that you can play X, F and Z across the board a name point in time is extremely valuable.
Speaker 4: And I will say when as Zuokama did exit the practice, I kind of had a mass of breath come out of my chest because he was so good all day they couldn't cover him in the one on ones. And I'm absolutely loving the way he catches the ball when there is a defender in phase. Almost deep balls, really good concentration.
Speaker 2: It's just an.
Speaker 4: Element of this team where he's gonna get those one on one looks and if he can just get on top of guys and stack them and then make contested catches like that's going to be a huge role for you in this offense.
Speaker 2: Brother man.
Speaker 4: He shook a dB so bad that the rep basically died and just caught it and prance into the en zone during the one on one portion, made more plays and team and did exit the practice with the injury. But it sounds like he might be okay. I mentioned the big play in the passing game by eight Chan He also had what I would score as a fifty yard touchdown rush. In fact, he and Raheem had rumor on the edge all day long, not so much inside. And I already spent this joke on Twitter, but I'll go ahead and repeat it here. Videveya is basically Gandolf protecting the rings inside. Go back and look at the bucks rushing totals when he's playing. Teams don't run on them ever, and so for us to get on the perimeter on them is impressive because able to commit so many bodies on the outside, especially with Greg Gaines inside to limit anybody's rushing attack. And Miami got some big pops today. We also had a clinical day from the tight ends, who I think were a big part of why the running game was so successful. I had Moster on a twenty five yard touchdown run off the right. He had a couple of easy glide runs where he hit the second level with conviction and had speed to burn. He's looking in the midst he's inform and back to those tight ends.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: I think John hu Smith is a problem. I think he's a freaking problem. They couldn't stop him today. He had a moss catch that you saw during one on ones on our social media accounts. He dominated in seven on seven and team it was just all John hu all day. And then you get Durham Smyth and Julian Hill wiping out the edge in the running game for all these big runs.
Speaker 2: It was just nice. Man.
Speaker 4: I thought Austin Jackson was a big part of those. I saw Kendall Lamb getting out wide, but it was in fact tough sledding inside.
Speaker 2: More on that in a moment.
Speaker 4: Let's go back to coach who talked about John hw Smith and these Miami Dolphins tight ends.
Speaker 5: John Whu is an example of I think there's a there's multiple players offensively for us that can that can serve different roles at different times, which which kind of you know, uh, from a schematic standpoint, you're you're able to present different problems in in varied personnel groups and feature different skill sets.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: That that makes your offense more multiple. So and on top of that, I think we got to see, you know, a little taste of you know what what he can bring to the physical mentality of our of our unit and our team, you know. And I think one thing that I haven't heard people talk about it. You know, maybe I don't no offense, but I'm not really reading much in training camp, but you know, I think, uh, his his second touch during the last preseason game was cool for multiple reasons if you if you look back on it, seeing some of its teammates on the sidelines, and what energy he brings to the game, how connected the team is at this stage. You know, I think I think we've been a very close team the last couple of years, and I think we're much further along in that, in those relationships, and so that's exciting for us. I think he's a galvanizer, and I think the sidelines you can see how how that is talked about.
Speaker 4: The offensive line and Gandolf himself in the middle of the Bucks defense there and again with the rest of the offensive line being on the field level is not a great place to be for offensive line play. It's it's hard enough to really get a good field live from a perch when you don't have replay to go back to, but field level, like you just can't take it all in. So that's why I talk in absolutes with the outside and inside and kind of group it all together. Now I do have some audio here from coach that could help us kind of parse out of this offensive line in the competition on the interior so far.
Speaker 2: Here is Mike McDaniel.
Speaker 5: The competition, It is very good at that position. I do think that, you know, the the guys that have been working with the first unit, you know that's that's been about seven guys, I think they're they're they're pretty solid in in their areas.
Speaker 6: There are some.
Speaker 5: Uh, pretty competitive battles going on, uh from specifically in the interior where you know, if I'm the fifth or sixth guy, I'm my job isn't necessarily as set in that role, and that you could you know, there's just some real growth from some of our younger players as well as we've lineups have changed a little bit since Brewer went out, just because of the complexion of the how many players we have at the position and how who's overstrained and who's not.
Speaker 6: I feel very good about.
Speaker 5: I feel very good about the top portion of our offensive line, and I feel very strong about the competitors pushing those guys to the point that it's you know, there's there's some spots still to settle, but it's not because of the failure of one. It's because of the the push from the other.
Speaker 4: I spend twenty eight minutes telling you about how good the defense was, and we just now get to that portion of the podcast. But first, let's go ahead and take our last break, come back and recap this dominant day from the defense. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by AutoNation The defense Man.
Speaker 6: Whoo whoo wait.
Speaker 4: They got after it today. It was just sacks, picks, touchdowns, going back the other way, run stuffs, All parts were firing on all cylinders. And it began upfront with two guys that are going to start a lot of things this year, and Zach Steeler and Kalais Campbell. The Bucks ran the ball eight times in the first two team periods and not a single run went from more than four or five yards. So if they're going after chop and the reputation's out already, the results weren't there. Jordan Brooks and David Long were active as hell in doing that, but Zach and Campbell, Zack and Campbell. Stealer and Campbell just kind of whipped a really good interior offensive line with Cody Mock, Cody Barton, and Ben Brettison, and I had Seeler with two sacks, Kalayas with one no run game and a squatted ball in the end zone by Campbell. Brandon Peelee flew around and made some plays. I had him on a pressure as well, and then off the edge. I thought Quentin Bell had one of his best practices in a couple of weeks. He had a sack and set hard edges in the running game, and he was always able to kind of play read and react when they would either send split flow his way or pull a guard his way, or have a tight end try to cat and mouse him with chips and releases. He just seemed to be kind of on his stuff in this practice. I mentioned Brooks and David Long. Just watching them work together and tandem has been so much fun. I think they pair together as well as any linebacker in linebacker duo in the NFL because of their strengths and traits. And We've talked about them being tone centers the other day, and I felt we really saw that and the Bucks felt that.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 4: I did see the Bucks complete a couple of long passes and they were a perfect absolutely perfect balls from Baker Mayfield and b You guys play Madden right well, I used to, at least like fifteen years ago, and the game engine back then was so bad that the ball would often like arrived to the receiver like on the spiral, and then the ball would like stop midair and then turn over and then just be in the receiver's hands like there wasn't a fluid enough of a fluid CGI or however you call that for.
Speaker 2: The ball to like look normal.
Speaker 4: That was both of these long completions the Bucks had in this practice. One was on Kendall Fuller, one was on Ethan Bonner, who both had great practices, and on both I literally thought the ball was going to bounce off the top of their helmets because they were right in phase, right in position. But it was Cody Thompson and Katot and two bigger receivers and a tight end there, I should say for the Bucks that went up and made these really good catches on perfectly placed balls. Those were legit the only wins I saw outside of a couple of short intermediate throws to Mike Evans, who is just so so good. Evan's got cater on a couple of plays that I was like, it's a tough fast for cater Co who Fuller had a pick six where he undercut a Baker throw but he couldn't finish the catch, so it goes as a PBu. But Storm Duck had two picks today, one during one on ones and then he also got the same look on an out route where he undercuts it, picks it off and does take it back for six either direction. That cornerback room is going to be tough, man. I think there's something there with Storm. I like Johnson and Matrix as well. Matree got a lot of work down the slot and around the box in this practice, and he kind of would convert from if the receiver if there was no receiver, to the strong side of the formation, the tight ends side of the formation. He would like kick inside for like a will linebacker role and put his face in the fan in the running game. So I'm a huge fan of what he features and brings to the defense. They also ran this gunner drill where they had two defenders jamming at the line of scrimmage and they would have to try to get around that, and Duck consistently got around it and The only one that I thought was better at doing it was Elijah Campbell, who's been a phenomen in special teams all camp long. They made all these plays and Ramsey wasn't even one of them, but they just didn't go after him at all. I saw Cater have a one pass break up despite some of the Evans plays. And then Marcus May he might be a freaking hit man. I saw him flying all over the field once again. He did allow one deep shot in one ones, but I don't really care about that because it's it's fun when you can, you know, when you can see certain trends and traits that kind of jump off the practice field at you. But for the for the most part, not a lot you can take from those. Let's go ahead and finish up though, because coach mentioned one player who came back to practice. It was Jordan Poyer, and he continues to get after it and look very good and kind of bans this entire group together. Here is coach on safety Jordan Poyer.
Speaker 6: Yesterday was.
Speaker 5: An example of the power that one player can have toward a unit. He's a tone setter. You know, we talk a lot about communication on defense because you know, you're positioning, positioning yourself to be in front of the offensive play at the beginning of snap. So how convicted you are in your calls and your responsibilities and your alignments and assignments. That's the tone setter for the play. And you know, even before the ball is snapped, Jordan Poyer impacts the team in a huge way by how he toned sets before the snap. And then, uh, you know there there was a couple of examples in practice specifically that you know after the period to went up to Poyer directly and was like, wow, that was that was tough.
Speaker 6: You play You play that with conviction. I was trying to look you off and it didn't work.
Speaker 5: He has an impact in the way uh that we absolutely hoped and it's it's awesome to have him out there for a multitude of reasons before the snap and after.
Speaker 4: After all, Right, I want to close the show here with a few words of gratitude. I am just so grateful every year for all the love, the support, the retweets, the pod downloads, the podcast always gets to the top of the charts this time of year. My social followings always take off, and you guys have so many nice things to say on those otherwise not very nice social media platforms. So I wanted to say thank you for all of your continued support, and I think the year five for Drive Time is going to be the best one yet and for the Miami Dolphins in my tenure here with the team, which also would mean the best year in like thirty years. So tomorrow game preview and some general camp thoughts, game recap early hours on Saturday morning, and then we are back next week for more coverage around roster cuts. We'll hear from Chris Career and a press conference. We'll do the NFL predictions at some point, and then it's time to get ready for the Jacksonville yug You ares. Until then, you all, please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, stitch your tuned in, Google Play, wherever you get your podcasts from. Go ahead and leave us a rating, leave us a review. Follow me on social at Winkfold NFL well, follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast. The gus Rot episode is a banger. Don't miss that one with Seth and oj. The YouTube channel for Draft Time, content, media availabilities, and so much more and last, but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com until next time. Fins up, come on, and Cameron Daddy will be home tomorrow