Speaker 1: Warning, this bonus episode of x ray Vision candad spoilers with Thor, Love and Thunder. Don't listen to it unless you have seen that movie. By Hello, my name is Jasically Stems and welcome Bax to our Vision the Cricket podcast, where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. In this bonus episode, we're gonna answer some questions that you sent us about the Thor Loven Thunder and then we will clear the lane so that comics legend Thor writer Thor God of Thunder writer major influence on Thor, Love and Thunder person Jason Aaron can be interviewed by us and you can hear him talk about just how he created one of the great comic arcs of our time. Truly.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Next up questions. First question from Kate, what's Aersham up to Rosie? What's the Rishima?
Speaker 2: Well, this is going back to my favorite topic, of course, eternals rishim.
Speaker 1: Of course, the celestial who was kind of pulling the strings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see in some judgment at the end, he's like, come on, I'm just judging you for killing another birthing celestial. You know, I like the casual nature of this question, like, what's he up to? What's that casual got up to? Well, we saw a couple of celestials in thor Love and Thunder, which is what I'm sure inspired this question. They were peering through Omnipiut and city. We saw a statue of Arasham in the Hall of Eternity which got smashed. I would assume Arisham is somewhere planning on how to He's watching Earth, seeing if Earth is worthy of existing, and planning his judgment whatever that may be. And I think, like you, Yeah, you brought up something really good in the in the our Lost episode author Love and Thunder episode about how the celestials could become part of like Zeus's god war against the superheroes. So I think there's many things that he's cooking up.
Speaker 1: Well, a couple of things I wonder visa v Eirishim and Celestials. One, we were introduced to the concept during the previous phases of the MCU that the Infinity Stones were created basically as a weapon in celestials, So I wonder how the celestials feel or have they talked about the fact that nothing can hold them in check? Anymore like that massive I'm sure will come up with something else, but that massive weapon that worked once upon time is just like off the table for them, and I wonder if they've thought about it. And then two, you know, you mentioned your your favorite movie, The Eternals is growing on me as well. Actually, but the end of that movie, we saw that there is there ended up being a huge celestial carcass in the Pacific Ocean, and we expect at some point when they put the Avengers back together, that that will be the headquarters of the Avengers. But I wonder, like, is it a tourist attraction? Like what's going with the carcass right now?
Speaker 2: Is anyone has anyone noticed it? Is it something?
Speaker 1: Is it being worshiped? Is it being ignored?
Speaker 2: Has the government tried to move it? I think we would all like to know about the cool marblized celestial. Also, like, something I really want to know is when the Avengers inevitably do move in there, make it the headquarters? How arish I'm going to be feeling about that. I feel like it's gonna be mad, disrespectful. It was not only did you kill this celestial, but now you're just living in its body.
Speaker 1: I know. Next question, Spotty Floppy asks can we expect Thorn Loki to reunite again? Considering how different their stories are? Well, in the comics, Loki has died at times so many poet on the board many many times and replaced with younger versions of himself or different versions like the versions of himself that seem to suggest and set up the fact that we can get a Loki, and potentially not a Loki played by Tom Hiddleston again in the future, like's that's absolutely on the table, that we either get a young Loki or a female Loki. That can happen. I think that that can definitely happen. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so too, And I think that this is one of the most asked questions because that relationship means so much to people in the MCU and in the comics, but especially in the MCU. So I definitely think. I think we'll get at least one more Hemsworth Hiddleston reunion, even if it's just like fleeting like on the Byfrost or something. But I also think you're right, like Kid Loki in the event in Young Avengers, very likely we already met him in the series spoiler a lot, and I definitely think Sophia Dimontino's version of Loki is also probably going to continue in the MCU too. So yeah, at some point, you know, could see Jane Foster Mighty Thor and Sophia di Martino Loki. You never know that, you know, there's there's some there's some Thor reuniting that could happen in different ways.
Speaker 1: That would be extremely exciting. KGP asks what happens next with Thor. Gosh, my guess is if they're going secret Wars that it's going to be some It's going to be a big secret Wars thing, I think.
Speaker 2: So, Like we've been talking about this a lot where basically this phase of the MCU, though it hasn't necessarily always been clear directly where it's going or what connects it, the one thing that it has had is pretty much ninety of the shows have all movies. Shanchi introduced Tarlow Secret Society, where they have a special way of fighting that can harness supernatural stuff. Miss Marvel introduce the Gnaw and the clandestine secret world that is on Earth in comics. As me and Jason talked about a lot Secret Wars includes a thing battle worlds where all these dimensions come together on one Earth. It seems like they're establishing something like that, And I think Omnipotent City is another example of a secret society like Wakanda, like Carmouitage that could become a part of this global battle in Secret Wars. But you also did mention something that I think a lot of people are thinking after the Stinger in Thor Love and Thunder, which was War of the Realms as a potential.
Speaker 1: So in War of the Realms, well, who would they gosh, who would they get to be the bad guy?
Speaker 2: I wonder if they just replace Malaketh unless they want to bring him back.
Speaker 1: So in War of the Realms in the comics, which is a great great crossover, super fun crossover, in which Malachith, you know, King of the Dark Elves, enters into an alliance with rocks On Evil the oil Company, the Evil Oil Company, to help conquer some of the other realms in return for access to rox On to like unimpeded mining and resource extraction from various.
Speaker 2: Absolutely shocking no one. It basically destroys every realm that's essentially like that's the kind of and then you end up in a situation where Midguard or Earth is the only realm. I think it would actually be very easy. I mean, we did see rocks On in like a funny Walmart reimagining like Easter Egg in Loki. But I do think it'll be really easy to just have Hercules instead of being instead of Malacheth being the puppet master of that where he just wants to control every realm. He wants people to bow down to him, and he will put in an alliance with who never to do so. And that would also be a reason why Hercules could turn his back on his father and team up with the Rose as we know he's more than likely gonna do. Here's my pitch, So Kevin listening.
Speaker 1: Are you listening? So? I love the Hercules angle. I think Hercules we understand that he's got to break good at some point, and what we know about Hercule may might change it up. But what we know about Hercules from the comics is super super strong, really great guy. Not the sharpest, He's a he's a he's a dummy. He loves to get drunk, and he does not hold his liquor as well as some of the other heavy, heavy drinkers in the MCU, notably Thor, notably Logan, no, the others, every guys, Guardian, I mean, Hercules just gets after it. Now, what if it's this, What if Dario Ager, CEO of Rockside, we thought.
Speaker 2: Might maybe be a bad guy in Love and Thunder that.
Speaker 1: We did think that who also in the comics, sold his soul in order to become the literal minitula total minutes. Now we have the police, Now we have the grease connection.
Speaker 2: Hercules in the minute all You're really getting into some good deep stuff there.
Speaker 1: So Ager tricks Hercules. He's like, hey, I'll help you. We'll get back at Thor. Let's do this, Let's invade the realms and will fuck thora up. When really what Agar wants is Hercules to take Thor out so he can, as the head of rocks On, can just extract all the natural resources from Vanaheim or wherever.
Speaker 2: What if it's that is like literally a perfect pitch, and I swear to God, I hope Marvel is listening because that is one of the best pitches.
Speaker 3: Also, let's put that X ray vision oracle Timfoil, hat is happening? That give me the thing I think that's a great version, especially because the space where Thor is at right now is a space where he has something to live for. He loves his family, he wants to protect the universe, he wants to protect the realms, and so that gives it even more heart to bring this kind of ecological analogous story of this evil corporation.
Speaker 2: I think that would be so good.
Speaker 1: I'll say something else. Man, if I am an actor out there, Dariel Aggert theoretically is one of the media's roles to get it.
Speaker 2: I think that's why who everyone assumed Christian Bell was going to play, because you're like, if you can get him to come back, what is it for? And obviously it was cool, but.
Speaker 1: Dario is so meaty. There's so much meat. It's like if uh, It's like if a character from The Wolf of Wall Street was also a super villain who turned into a huge like bipedal, super strong bull from It's it's like a great it would be a really really great role. You know, I could just see whoever this character is. You know, they're having a meeting of the of the shareholders and they're laying into dary Agger. Why are we losing this why are we lose? We just a massive oil spill over in the government and then he just turns into a minute. But I love people.
Speaker 2: Who would be your dream Dario Aga casting, if you've got your pitch accepted and they were like Jason put together the pitch bible, who's.
Speaker 1: The dream you go?
Speaker 2: First?
Speaker 1: I need to think about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know what I would go. I'm like, if you're going, who would be? I feel like, you know, Miles Teller could do like a very intense right.
Speaker 1: It's actually really really good.
Speaker 2: He could bring that that you know, aggression from the film that made him and then kind of bring that charm from the newest stuff and and I feel like I could see him becoming the Minotaur. I feel like he's got the the VI.
Speaker 1: I think Kieran Kieran Kolkin like because there's a good there's something really cool like about a kind of slightly dickish but unastuming physically human person who turns in this monstrous manatals.
Speaker 2: Is incredibly smart and also incredibly likely because it hits some one of the things I think Marvel does that it's so interesting and that really sets it apart and also makes fan casting very fun for us. They love to cast someone who has already kind of done the thing that they want them to do. So they cast Kit Harrington, the most famous from Game of Thrones, and they cast him as Black Knight. They cast him as a medical conspired hero Circe. Jemma Chan had been in this really incredible show where she played like a robot who was gaining sentience and freedom from the people who created her, very similar to the Journey in Eternals.
Speaker 1: They've often done that.
Speaker 2: I mean Fox, the Marvel Side of Fox did it too with casting you know, Santsa Stark as Gene Gray like that. I feel like Kieran Coulkin, they would if they don't. If they could do Dario Aga and they don't cast someone from Succession, that would be a miss. Like that is Kevin Big you give extra vision a call will consult for you.
Speaker 1: War of the Realms, Carlus, it would be great. Kate, why didn't Moon Night show up when gods are hissing? It's a great question. Well, first of all, he's merely an avatars. The real question is why weren't any of the Egyptian gods? Maybe they were, I haven't we need to do a real like granular scan of the omnipotent city Hall scene, so we don't quite know that they weren't there, but I it did feel strange.
Speaker 2: That there wasn't a more prominent The gods that they credit. They credited were quite vague, and it will be really fun when it's on Disney Plus to go through and do that granular look. But it did feel as gods are becoming this really important part of the MCU. I was definitely also surprised that there wasn't necessarily an obvious character from the Ianad that we'd met in Moonlight.
Speaker 1: You would have thought we would have seen Kanshu there. Now again, maybe that would have been.
Speaker 2: So funny, like in this really outrageous like orgy having place, and you just got cranky old f Murray Abram Kanshu.
Speaker 1: Uh and then finally Kochi nineteen eighty four is a crime that we didn't get a separate Valkyrie and Jane Foster buddy movie. There's still time.
Speaker 2: I know. I'm like I because I want that.
Speaker 1: I am absolutely sure that Jane is coming back in some form of fashion more of the realms.
Speaker 2: I also connect with that because that was had a storyline about having a Valhalla choosing to come back, and then obviously later on becoming a Valkyrie. But this I agree with one hundred percent because to me, those I really as you know, if you listen to podcasts, I love Door, Love and Thunder. But like the moments that I think really sung to me that I would have loved to see expanded on were those moments with Jane and Val, like when King Val goes and finds Jane and Jane's broken the sink Alla Wolverine and the much beloved movie Wolverine Origins. You know that moment between them where they have you know, are you packed? And they both have their weapons and they have the little kind of the thing playing Mary J. Blige, And I just think I would love to see a whole movie of that. I think we could still see it if I was gonna pitch it. It would be like a cosmic road trip. I want the cosmic buddy movie. Maybe they're both Valkyries, Maybe they're rounding up other Valkyries. Maybe they're just going on a fun trip, doesn't have to be anything to do with trauma action, and they're just like gonna buy thor a birthday present, and they want to get him like the funniest birthday present in the universe, Like give me that movie. I would say it's a crime if it doesn't happen. But as Jason said, still lots of time.
Speaker 1: I have one more add on for for what we see next, what happens next with Thor and I. But I would extend this to like all of Marvel.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Of course we're waiting for that kind of like unifying force to really kick in, And Kevin Figge announced that they had a creative Council meeting of a month back now, so I'd assume they're working on that too. But like at some point, you know, as we've just seen damage control as a kind of like human reactionary force to the sudden expansion of the population of enhanced people in the MCU, bad guys win, like at some point a dark rain kind of situation where you know, the governments of the world are like enough with these super powered people like either Circovia style, sign the shit or we're coming after you, and then we get like siege. Yeah, whoever takes control of the military slash government in the US or in the world is like Okay, let's get as guard out of Earth they can go. They have like there's seven other realms, like they don't need to be on this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I also think something really smart about that is like, look, I know that the way that they did it and have been the trend realms. Yeah, the trend of the MCU so far has been this notion of you open a multiverse, you close it. It's a closed loop, right, But let's be real. A version of Norman Osborne on the King of Marvel Supervillains has been to us six one six knows that who it's Spider Man is knows the notion of the six one six. I just think we shouldn't count out seeing those kind of things Siege, Dark Grain, and maybe even seeing the MCU's version of some of those more iconic characters that we've already seen in the in the Spider Verse, but reimagined in new ways.
Speaker 1: I completely agree that would be so awesome. And you know what is awesome. Our interview with Jason Aaron Now quick note this was recorded before the release of Thor, Love and Thunder about a week before, so we had no idea what the movie would contain before we talked to him. Please enjoy our interview with Great Jason Aaron. Jason Aaron, thank you so much for joining us. What was your what's your comics origin story? How did you decide to be a writer, and then how did you how did you start first thinking about becoming a comic book writer.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, you know, I think my origin story as a comic book reader and involved the spinner rack, you know, spinner rack at the local drug store and tagging along with my mom every time she should go, you know, to the grocery store or wherever, and finding new teen Titans and Tory Forst and Blue Devil and Long Shot like those are some of the books that I'd noticed for the first time that sort of pulled me in, and I just I've never stopped reading comics, you know. I mean I was fifteen or sixteen before I discovered a comic book store because I grew up in a small town. But once I did, I've I've had a pull list one place or another, you know, every year since then. So I've kind of always been read and knew pretty quick that I, you know, that's what I wanted to do. I love to write, and I remember telling my parents when I was a kid that you know, yeah, I want to write comics someday. Had absolutely no idea how you begin to even attempt to do that, especially for kid growing up, and you know, it's little town and backwards Alabama. So it took until I was I was almost thirty. I was in my late twenties, and I won a Marvel Comics talent search contest, which was this weird thing that Marvel had never really done before in that way they and they haven't done it since, so it was this kind of strange one time thing. I you know, I sort of lucked into. I guess I haven't looked back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was going to say, it's actually, like really rare to find someone who did any kind of comics talent search and then ended up getting a career kind of consistently writing comics. And that first story I was a Wolverine story, right, yeah, yeah, it was so yeah, And what was that like for you to you know, grown up on those spinner racks, reading those comics and then kind of just writing this short Wolverine story and it being published in a comic shop that you could get from a comic book store.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was. It was surreal. I think it's still surreal. I think that the weirdness has never worn off, you know. I mean, like I said, I knew pretty much my whole life I wanted to be a writer. I kind of pursued that in different ways, you know. I thought, well, maybe I'll go into journalism, and I took like two semesters of journalism in college and realized that wasn't for me. And I was writing a bunch of terrible novels that hopefully no one will we'll ever get to read, and going, you know, just anything I could do to write. You know, it was just consumed so much of my time, which was really like the most important thing I did, you know, through those even though I don't really have anything to show for it in terms of like published work, it was still all that time I spent writing was kind of getting me ready for when the opportunity would arise. And then getting this, you know, this weird random talent search popped up. So it's like I got lucky, but I'd kind of made my own luck. And then I felt like I was ready by that point to do something interesting, and thankfully, you know, caught the attention. It was editor Mike Martz, who was the X Men editor at the time. I was working like a crappy job at a video rental store back when they still had those, you know, and I had I had a message on my answering machine this or on my cell phone. This was like months after the contest, and several months after i'd you know, just dropped this page, this piece of paper in a box and there was a message on my phone just hey, this is Mike Martins and Marvel give me a call back. And literally my first thought was like, man, that's really cruel of the guy to call me just to tell me I did not win, Like why would he do that? What a terrible guy. But it turns out I did win.
Speaker 1: So yeah, how did you remember when I first started writing, just the simple things like trying to figure out like what a script format looked like, what all this stuff is supposed to look like? Was How did you figure all that out at the time?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't. I didn't really have any idea of that either, And back in those days, I don't think you could really find examples.
Speaker 1: All I find out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was just the Watchman, the back matter, Watchman, which I everyone's writing one page panel description.
Speaker 4: Which I absolutely did. You're absolutely right, because I had that. I've got that that big hardcover edition too, that's got that script in there, and I like I had found at some point years ago, I found this what was the first comic script I ever wrote, back when I was in high school, and it is absolutely me trying to do this incredibly long, incredibly detailed letter to the to the artists, you know, like Alan Moore's scripts were, Yeah, and then eventually find out, well, really nobody else writes comics scripts quite like that. But that's the thing. There's no kind of standard format. I think, if you you know, I like collecting scripts from from other artists, who who whose stuff I like, and there everybody kind of does it differently, you know. I mean, some people use like standard screenwriting format at this point, but I've never really done that. So yeah, back in the day, I had no idea. So that was very much, you know, relying on my editors and Mike Martz for that initial Wolverine story and then I started doing stuff after that Vertigo and Will Dennis was a big help and just showing me, you know, here's here's how people who are really good at this do it, and being able to try to copy that, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was I mean, like, what were those notes? Like Mike Marts obviously saw your storytelling kind of instincts, and Andrew what was his notes like this script is a mess? Or was he like this is quite good, because, like you said, I've read hundreds of comic book scripts, and every single one is different, and some make a lot of sense and some make no sense.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think I think he told me I won the contest just because my idea was different and kind of stood out that mine wasn't set in a bar, it didn't have Wolverine in flighting ninas. I was. I was trying to do like a weird take on a Flannery O'Connor story where Wolverine, you know, encounters this this woman on a dirt road winding through the woods and they have a conversation about faith, you know, before things take a take a turn south. But so I think it was just kind of something different.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: Mine was a little more character driven. But yeah, in terms of actual scripting process, I mean, I think it's all kind of a blur. You know, it was just I think it's ten pages, eight ten pages something like that. So we're talking pretty short story. But I remember Mike sending me, you know, examples of different scripts to kind of to kind of go off of, just because I had no clue.
Speaker 1: Really, you mentioned Vertigo, you would go there and release a five issue war comic. The other side one aspired that, and what was that process like pitching that idea, getting that made Well.
Speaker 4: My cousin was Gus Hasford. He was a Vietnam vett and a novelist, and he wrote a book called The Short Timers, which is what Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket was largely based on. So Gus was a big influence on me, and that he was, you know, my cousin. He was from the same neck of the woods. He was the first person I ever met who made a live in writing. He was very strange, eccentric guy, spent time in jail for stealing hundreds of library books, and then you know, he'd died too young. He died like in the nineties and in like a flophouse motel in Greece. So I never really got to talk to him much about, you know, writing, once I was kind of old enough to have something to say about it. So I just spent a lot of time researching his life and through that met a lot of his his fellow marine combat correspondence from from his era, and got to hang out with some of those guys. And so I think all of that led me to want to do a Vietnam War book and initially pitched it to Marvel as a relaunch of the Noom you know that that eighties series, and didn't get picked up there, and just kind of pitched it around to different people, and Will Dennis at Vertigo I focused in on because he edited a lot of the books that I really enjoyed reading. And then he also had edited the only you know, war comics really anybody had done in years, which were those garthiness war stories. So yeah, I sent it to him and he turned me down like a couple of times, but I was I was politely persistent, which I think is another important key to break it. Not you know, not like being a bother or pain in the butt, but like, be persistent, just be polite, be respectful of editors time. So I send him the script. I had written the first issue script and said, hey, would you, you know, take a look at it at least and let me know what you think, And he said sure, told me again, you know, I still can't use it, but I'll take a look at it. And then he read it and you know, liked it and got greenlit it at Vertigo. So I think I've never worked harder in my life on a comic script than that one, the first, because that was the first full, you know, then twenty two pages script I'd ever written, which I worked on probably for months, so I was still probably the I was selling book I've ever written. You know, it's the very first one, but it was the most important one, I think, because you know, it sort of paved the way for everything I've done since then. M h.
Speaker 2: And what was it like to go from like this kind of personal, heavily researched comic to then like returning back to Marvel and going back into that pantheon of kind of these huge, iconic, kind of godlike figures.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was great. I mean, in my mind, that's kind of always what I've wanted to do. I mean, I love superhero comics. I grew up reading Marvel and DC superhero comics. I still read a bunch of them. It's not like I'm doing that just because you know it's a job or that's what you need to do. Like I genuinely enjoyed doing that stuff, but at the same time, I wouldn't. I never want to do just work for higher stuff, just superhero stuff. I'm always attracted to other genres. So kind of right from the get go in terms of my career, I was doing, you know, create her own stuff, balancing with the Marvel and DC stuff.
Speaker 1: What at what point, so do you win this contest you're getting stuff made. At what point were you able to pursue comics writing as your full time job. Quit the job at the video store, put all that stuff away, Explain to people I am a comics writer now, and then just do that.
Speaker 4: Well, basically, my son just turned seventeen, clearly like two weeks ago. He's he's the same age as my comic career because I quit my job when he was born, and it was right around the time I was working on Scalped number one, the beginning of Scalped. Because my son's name is Dashel, just like the main character of Scalped. So yeah, it's about seven seventeen years now, I guess I've been I've been full time.
Speaker 2: Wow, And what is that kind of people talk a lot about like, do the thing that you love and you will never get tired of it, And then when we do the thing we love, we're also like, also, you will burn out on the thing that you love. What's what's that journey been like for you? Because you've been a professional comics writer almost as long as you were just a fan, you know, so like, what what has that journey been like for you of doing it full time and doing creator own books that people have loved and always coming back to those superheroes too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's you know, it's definitely a journey. I think you can look at it in terms of different acts to my career, which some of which may be obvious from people who've been reading along the way. Some of them may be more personal and not as obvious, So they're definitely it's definitely been you know, a series of changes, even though for the most part I've been at Marvel. You know, I think I've been exclusive to Marvel since I want to say, two thousand and eight or so, so, you know, even within that. I you know, it's spent like six years, six seven years writing Wolverine stories. I've spent seven years writing thor stories since then I've been doing Avengers. So it's still I've changed over the course of that. My work's changed, the companies changed a lot, and I and you know, things are still changing for me, as they are for most everybody after the last couple of years, right, so, I think this next year for me will be another one of even bigger changes. So but I think all that's good. I mean, from granted, not all of those changes have been good. Certainly the ones we've all been dealing with lately have not been. But I think it's good and that it just I don't ever want to get stagnant or bored or just feel like I'm punching the clock and and doing this just to pay my bills. I think as a creator, you always want to feel like you're challenging yourself and doing something that's different than stuff you've done before. So, you know, I'm very happy and fortunate that I feel like I've been able to do that. I haven't spent my time doing jobs that were forced upon me that I that you know, or somebody else's ideas or things that I didn't want to do. So it's been a it's definitely been a journey, but been a fun one, and I think you do have to be conscious of not getting burned out. To me, the only thing I think is just the grind of doing ongoing books. I think I'm you know, maybe interested in kind of jumping off that train at some point and doing more stuff, kind of like what I'm doing with Punisher right now, or it's just sort of you know, set number of issues, set artists, just because I think that can get to be a bit of a grind when you're having to write for, you know, many different artists at the same time.
Speaker 1: Let's you mentioned thor uh, and we'd be remiss if we did not talk about your run on thor beginning with God of Thunder in twenty twelve. Of course, it's being adapted for the upcoming Thor Love and Thunder movie. In our opinion, we read a lot of comics, it's, you know, simply one of the best runs ever. Yeah, we talk about in comics like it's it's some of the best.
Speaker 2: You got to have some of the best hotests too, and some of the.
Speaker 1: Greatest you know, from east Side Ribbage to rust Ouderman, on and on. Did you not, like, at what point in the run did you did you ever realize like, oh, wow, this is this is really good. We're like, really do We're really doing something cool.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't remember thinking, hey, this is going to be really big or I'll you know. I mean, I feel like at this point, if I when I die, Thor is going to be mentioned in like the first paragraph of my obitually right, Like, I feel like I'm pretty firmly established as Thor writer forever. But no, I'd never stop and think about that along the way. It's just sort of the next thing, and it's the thing I'm excited to do. And it was a matter of good timing and that Thor was not really a character I had been long interested in, but that moment in time it struck me to whereas, yeah, I think I really want to do Thor, and yeah, I got to work with an incredible lineup of artists, very very lucky over the series of people I got to work with. I think for me the biggest thing was I'd been at Marvel long enough at that point, you know, I'd been writing Wolverine Next stuff for so long. I felt kind of comfortable with my position in the company, with my relationships with everybody, that I kind of had the confidence to sort of say, Okay, I'm taking over Thor and I'm going to stay here as long as it takes me to kind of see all this through, because I knew I was kind of laying tracks like this is going to take a while, you know, like this is going to take years for me to pay all this off. And I kind of just said, like, I'm going to stay on here until you know, you guys fire me or take me off or I'm done, you know, one or the other, and kind of felt again, felt confident enough to say, like, I feel like I can just do that right, Yeah, And thankfully, you know, I didn't get fired along the way, and I got to finish the story the way I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of my favorite things about that run from Thorda Mighty thorn On is how you know, each different arc in the run elevated it and changed what was happening, added new emotional layers, added new canonical layers. Even never played it safe, was always fantastically creative how much of that was you mentioned the track? How much of that was laid out at the beginning. Obviously there's a bunch of different you know, crossover events that intersected with these stories, and a bunch of different things, you know, different directions that the company was going on editorially over this run. So how much of that were you able to kind of lay out at the beginning?
Speaker 4: I mean a lot of it. Like I had a big plan for sort of a lot of different stories, pretty much all of which I ended up doing. It's just as the kind of once I got to the the idea of the Jane Foster story, I very much changed the order of things. So some of the stories that originally were going to be thor Odin Sun stories became Jane Foster stories, and things got moved around. So I think the Jane part of it definitely shifted things around in part because I was so like, I enjoyed that story so much, Like I kind of, you know, I think I did realize you're talking about in terms of realizing like the what we were doing. I realized in the midst of that Jane Foster story, I'm really really happy and really really proud of this, there's a lot of meat on these bones, you know, just emotionally, Like I knew this is something not just it's fun to watch her go around and punch Odin in the face and do all this big stuff like that's cool. But I realize this is a very potential if we do it right, to be a very powerful emotional story. And I feel like we did that. I feel like it was first and foremost because it was for all of us involved in making it, you know. I mean I cried writing issues, and Russell cried drawing them, and our editors cried when the pages came in. We'd all cry. And I'll still do signings, you know, where people bring up door comics and start crying and everybody's crying. And so I've never I've done stories that have affected people, and done other stories I'm really proud of, and then I think all the parts came together in the right way. But that Jane Fosters story in particular, I think is a bit of a cut of a cut above especially the other Marvel stuff I've done, in terms of the impact it's had on people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not to spoil anything for the listeners who maybe haven't gotten that far, but the the exact page where I was like, wow, this is emotionally surprising and hitting me in ways that I was not ready for. Jane's in the hospital and Volstag is there asleep in a chair like in like a like a bag of chips on his on his lap, and you know, it's a really simple scene obviously contrasted with with the kind of more godlike adventures that Jane is having, and it's so grounded and it's so grounded in the friendship, really surprising friendship between Volsag and Jane, and it was it was just amazing. It was just an amazing scene. I love quiet scenes like that as a longtime comics reader, and it was that was a moment where I was like, wow, this is really good, this is special.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I worked in a comic shop actually in London when that was coming out, and it was it was one of those books where you could just feel it like everyone was so excited when it came in and when that first issue of My Etho with Jane on the cover and everything, it was just like it was the book and it definitely had that kind of emotional depth that the best stories that make us fall in love comics do. Like me and Jason talk a lot about the eighties X Men stuff, like the Clamont stuff, that was a lot of what kind of made us fall in love with comics.
Speaker 1: And I feel like.
Speaker 2: Those quiet moments and that emotion and the kind of impact of that story, which is obviously now still being felt like years later, it really comes through in that way. And so like, this is the tough situation in the work for higher business, is it? What's it like for you when you then see Natalie Portman get on stage with Taikawai Tit and hold up the hammer and you know that she's going to be Jane And then what does it feel like a year and a half later when you're seeing her on screen in this story that this film that is obviously so inspired by the story that you guys created.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I can say my experience has been good and exciting that entire time, from like you said, from when I first hear first found out, oh, they're going to do Chain's story to oh, you know, Gore the god Butcher's going to be in it, and and I got to be, you know, more involved in this project than kind of anything else before with Marvel Studios. So that was nice too to kind of be in the loop and and have my opinions sought out. I appreciated that. So yeah, it's I can say it's been a it's been a fun experience the whole way. It still is, you know. I'm I'm still going to Target and buying Jane Foster toys as they pop up on the shows.
Speaker 2: The Dream.
Speaker 4: Yes, my guest bedroom is full of of you know, Jane Foster stuff. So I'm still having fun and I'm you know, anxious excited for people to see the finished product and to see what what Taika and everybody involved has has done with it.
Speaker 1: How does some what's the workflow like with obviously would change from team to team, artists to artists, but generally speaking, you know, you're doing a book with with Russell or Shad or whoever, how do you work out the mix of script and art?
Speaker 4: I mean to me, it's usually the same regardless of who I'm working with. I mean, I remember very early in my career, I think I was doing a Wolverine story with Howard Jakin, you know, and I'd been reading Howard Jake and comics since I was a kid, and I was very intimidated at the idea of working with them. So I thought, well, I'm going to pull out all my old American Flag comics and reread them and try to write a script just for Howard Jakin. And then I realized, I don't know how to do that. I can't do that like I can't. I just have to write the script the way I write it, which is generally I'm you know, I'm not writing those like five page panel descriptions like in the Alan Moore Watchman script. I'm not. In my mind. My job is just to kind of give the artist enough of a springboard and then get out of the way and let them do what they do. So that's generally what I do, regardless of who I'm working with. I think the few exceptions are there times I've worked with somebody like Chris Pachallo where it would develop into more like a some version of a Marvel style approach like which was generally just because I would I wrote a full script for him and he would change it so radically. It didn't make sense for me to do that. Yeah, it's like get out of the way of let cause you know, I would never have the guts to write a sixteen panel page for anybody, even Chris Pachalo, but he would, he would break him down that way himself. So I thought, it's like, well, why don't we just let him do that? So I would, and I think I've done that with Adam Kubert. Just a couple of guys who want to do that. Not all artists, you know, want that responsibility of sort of breaking everything down themselves, but some do. But beyond that, you know, I just feel like it's not my job to tell Russell or as Old or any body like how to draw. They know how to do that, I don't. I just need to give them some cool ideas, give them the emotion that's necessary in this in this panel and this beat, and then just get out of the way and let them let them draw beautiful pictures.
Speaker 2: So you've written like so many incredible characters at this point, like your Black Panther, Sea Waconda and Die. That's like one of my favorite comics ever. Yeah, it's such a rad take on kind of scrolls and the secret invasion stuff. Is there is there any characters that you still just really really want to write that you have that kind of dream. That's the pedestal character that you keep in your pocket.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, I've I've never walked through my career with like a long list of you know, how I really want to write this guy, I want to write that guy. I realized pretty quickly that the more important part was kind of the the real life people involved in my relationships with the editors and who's going to draw it, and really kind of what felt right for me at that moment in time, as opposed to, you know, a character that I grew up reading and loving as a kid. So that's kind of always the way I've approached it. That said, there definitely, you know, there's a short list of characters that I am such a huge fan of that I've never really gotten to tell a story with in a big way. I mean, you know, Conan the Barbarian was on that list, and I got to check that one off the last couple of years. So yeah, there are definitely other characters a Marvel, you know, a few. I mean, I feel like at this point I've kind of gotten to my stories with most everybody and some, but there's some I have not really written in any significant way, and certainly haven't outside of Marvel, haven't really written anybody else, but I you know, I would say an oddball when, which will probably never happen in my life, is I'm a huge Uncle Scrooge I love.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's the good stuff.
Speaker 4: I love. Especially the Don Rosa Uncle Scrooge stories I think are really incredible, just great comics, like, regardless of the fact that they're about talking ducks, like, they're just really really good, beautifully drawn, unbelievable. Absolutely. I recommend there's hardcovers out now of all of them from I think from fantagraphics, really really well done books. I recommend them all, but I think I would the Uncle Scrooge I would put on the list probably if I had made a list five years ago, been Conan number one, Uncle Scrooge number two. So I've marked off one of those. We'll see if someday I can get the other one.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's where the beginning of Indiana Jones comes from.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, absolutely, So.
Speaker 2: You know that's some influential stuff.
Speaker 1: Uh, while you're in this sore run, you were releasing creator own stuff on image Southern Southern Bastards. Yeah, is this wonderful hard boiled southern detective action story that mixes like college football at extreme violence. What was it like? Where'd that story come from? Because it really feels like if anybody knows anything about you, you know, the kind of spare bio biographical details that are out there. This feels like something that you have been ruminating on for a while. It comes from your experience in ways maybe that some of your marvel work maybe doesn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I said, I grew up in a small town in Alabama, so I grew up with with football. I grew up with you know, with religion and football, and I think you can see the theme of faith and religion spread throughout so much of the stuff I've done, going back to that you know, first ten page Wolverine story, through all of my thort stuff. So I'd never written about football in any significant way until I got to Southern Bastards, and it really the first idea was I hadn't when I was doing Scalped I had an idea for a crime boss who was a high school football coach that I winded up never using, and that was kind of a great springboard I thought for doing a you know, a deep South crime story So it's very much about you know, where I grew up, which is kind of a as I've talked about, it's a love letter slash, you know, letter of rage and anger. It's sort of the things you love and that you don't like so much about about where you're from. I love being from a small town. I love being from the South. I still I think I will always think of myself as a Southern writer, even though I've lived outside the South now for twenty years, twenty two years. So yeah, I think it's very much that it's the as Southerners, we don't like it when people from outside the South talk crap about us. We kind of we only take that from fellow Southerners. So it's me, you know, just trying to pour all that into into one comic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And as like, you know, you're such a prolific writer, and like you said, you've been writing ongoings, you've been writing creative owned, you've been writing samperos. Do you still you said you never stopped treating comics. So what's like a comic or a story or piece of art that you kind of always go back to, no matter how far into this journey.
Speaker 4: That's a good question. You know, I think certainly lately, you know, after we found out George Prez was sick, and then most recently when he passed away, like I pulled out a lot of George Prez comics because they were he As I've talked about, he was the first comic artist whose work I could recognize as a kid, be like, oh, that's the Teen Titans guy. What's this new book he's doing, Crisis on Infinite Earth. So so George Prez to find so much of my initial understanding and love of comics. And I think even now and probably until the day I die, if I if you, if I close my eyes and you say, you know, picture a comic book page, it's drawn by George Perez, always in forever. So I've been pulling a lot of that stuff out. You know, I have a lot of comics like my I just moved like a year and a half ago, so I just recently had to move them all. So it made me appreciate even more how many, just how many long boxes I have accumulated. So I love digging into I'm pulling out lots of old books, you know, Like I said, there was a lot of stuff from that mid eighties DC period that I loved Atari Forrest's kind of forgotten Jose Luis Garcia Lopez sci fi book Blue Devil that same period by DC. It was a huge book for me. And I think, I think, I look at Blue Devil and Blue Beetle and and ex Caliber, the original ex Caliber. Yeah, I love that, the Giffn demitaeas Justice League, like all those things that were funny and irreverent, but also you know, had real emotion and waight and well rounded characters to them. I think those books together defined so much of what I love about comics.
Speaker 1: As a as a fan and a writer. And now well into your career, you've seen, you know, the industry change from spinner racks to shops to digital and then the uh, you know, the resurgence of of the shops. Where do you what's what's your take on the way the industry has changed and where do you think it's going.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's such a huge question. I don't know that I'm qualified to even answer that. I mean, I don't know, you know, I'm still I'm still the same kid who would pluck those books off the spinner rack. I still love going to the comic store and buying books off the shelf.
Speaker 1: The reason I ask is because you know, I think there was a lot of anxiety when digital came up. Digital media, and you understand it, but then it seems like, at least anecdotally to me, in the last couple of years, there's been Now people have the choice, and there's a lot of people coming into comics now and people are seeking out that community of going into the shop and talking to the person and getting a poll list and saying, hey, what's good, what are you liking, what are you reading? And that's something people are willingly doing now and it's given me a lot of and I feel great about kind of where the community is because of that, which is why I ask.
Speaker 4: Absolutely I agree. I mean, I think there was that fear of will digital is gonna, you know, ruin the brick and mortar stores, and we've seen that's not the case. I mean, I have always felt that whatever stuff, whoever you are, whatever stuff you're into, whatever you like to read, there's a comic out there for you somewhere right like you. You just have to be able to find it. You need to walk into a good shop where they can help direct you to it, or you find it, you know, digitally, however you find it, however you get access to it. Whatever that book is, I think, you know, we just want to welcome people into comics, like please, please come find that book. And every time I go to one of the great comics stores we have across the country, where it's you know, Third Y Comics in Maryland, or the Isotope in San Francisco, or Our Heroes are hard to find, and Charlotte a comic shop in Orlando, like these are the shops I go to that Every time I walk in, I see how passionate the people who work there are, how beautiful a shop is, how it's how easy it is to walk in out of the blue, never been in a comic shop before, don't know the secret handshake or the lingo, don't know anything, just looking for something. And it makes me feel good to know those people come in this shop, they're in good hands, right, They're going to be directed to find a book they will enjoy, and they will hopefully make them a comic book reader, just like you know New teen Titans did for me all those years ago. So I still love that. I love that idea of the good shops, and like I said, every time I go to them, i'd leave excited to go do new work, you know, excited knowing like those are the people on the front lines, those are the people putting books in the hands of readers. So it just makes me happy to see people who are loving that and win such a great job of it.
Speaker 1: Finally, Jason, how are you feeling about the SEC? How do you feeling on SEC football this time?
Speaker 4: Well? That's we could do a host separate podcast on that. I mean, he got you know, you got Texas and Oklahoma about to join, you got, you know, my my guy Nick Saban infuriating Jimbo Fisher to the point this firing. I will just say, you know the like I get it, I get it. I get why everybody else in the country hates Alabama despises Nick Saban. I probably would too if I wasn't from Alabama, if I wasn't a Crimson typhan. But he is my guy, and you don't want that guy pissed off. You don't want him. I mean every time he sort of looks around at the landscape of college football and says, hey, is this how we want it to be? And everybody says yes it is. He says okay, and then he goes and you is that to win football games? And I feel like this season, this team he's got could be the best team he's ever had, potential to be the best team he's ever had, which I think should frighten and terrify the rest of college football. That's just what that man continues to be capable of.
Speaker 1: Jason Aaron, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much for coming.
Speaker 4: Thank you all. This was fun.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Jason Aaron for speaking with us, and thank you to all of our listeners for the amazing questions. Keep them coming. We love hearing from you. If you want to hear more bonus content, send us an email or drop a review on Apple Podcasting. You want more ex Vision, We'll do our best to oblige. X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Soul Rubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy Rhard are editing and sound design who's by Vascillis Photopoulos, Dilon Villanueva and Matt de Group provide video production support. Alex Rella for handle social media. Thank you Brian Vasquez. For the music, see nex Time