Speaker 1: Welcome to stuff you should know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and Jerry's here too, back again on the trip of a lifetime and it's the Three Amigos, the Three Musketeers, the Trace Caballeros. Stuff.
Speaker 1: That's right, talking about e n t Oi oi oi.
Speaker 2: Hey, that was pretty good, Chuck. I was not expecting that. Sometimes sometimes there's like a little pause in between you talking and me responding, and it's because I'm just astounded. And that was a good example of that. You did great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and t Baby, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Okay. So we're talking today about testosterone estrogen. What people commonly think of are the two hormones, the female hormone the male hormone, and that those are what divides us. The sexes are binary, they're bisexual, there's male, there's female. Gender is a totally different topic, as we'll talk about a little bit. But if you have a lot of estrogen, you're female, a lot of testosterone, you're a male, and it turns out that we can trace that that's all like generally incorrect. It's such a such a broad stroke explanation of estrogen and testosterone that it actually has tripped us up all this time. And just from researching this, Chuck, I learned like, wow, this is if we had just never considered estrogen female in testosterone male, I think our general understanding of those two hormones would be so much deeper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's one of those things where we can trace back to a time where that sort of whole notion came from. And of course, you know, it's early science. They were trying to figure stuff out. But starting about the mid nineteenth century is when scientists started kind of going wild with animals and organs and doing things like, hey, rat, let me remove your testicles and let me put some ovaries in you and see what happens.
Speaker 1: And there was a lot of this going on.
Speaker 3: There was a British physiologist named Ernest Starling who actually coined the word hormone from the Greek word to excite in nineteen oh five. And this is sort of right around that time in the early nineteen hundreds, when there were other scientists and physiologists doing all kinds of wacky experiments to see what happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we should say hormones are simply chemical messengers that basically relay messages and trigger responses or keep responses from happening in the body, and that estrogen and testosterone are two kinds of hormones, specifically steroid hormones, meaning they're made from cholesterol, which for some reason I find really.
Speaker 3: Gross, so well, you might find this gross too. Then there's an Austrian named Eugene Steinach who was doing these kinds of experiments that I was just talking about, and he was saying, like, came here, frog, let me poke around your testicles and get some liquid out of there. Let me, like I said earlier, let me take this rat, let me castrate it, let me transplant some ovaries onto this rat, and then observe what happens. And Steinach was one of those early scientists who kind of led to this sort of binary idea that you know, if you do this, you're going to feminize a rat, or you're going to masculinize a rat if you do that.
Speaker 1: Sort of the vice versa operation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but very very quickly there were people even back then scientists that were like, oh, wait a minute, this is it's not quite as binary as you're making it out to be. And there's plenty of examples and reasons why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could almost lay the entire problem at the feet of Eugene Steinach. That he was the one who basically said that humans are bisexual as how we put it, binary sexes male female, and it depends on whether you have testosterone or estrogen. And like you said, he got pushedback. There was one guy in particular, an embryologist named Carl Moore, who was like, hey, Steinick, stop and think about what you're saying here, Like, even without your you know, mad scientist experiments, female rats do all sorts of like quote male behaviors and vice versa. And even with your flip flop you know, overreason gonad rats, they're still doing behaviors that are are not easily assigned to one sex or the other. So I'm not one hundred percent sure that it's quite as cut and dry as you you have have explained it. And Eugene Steinach had Carl Moore murdered silence.
Speaker 1: Forever not true at least I don't think it is.
Speaker 2: I hope, okay, I just.
Speaker 3: Tho you might have just leaned in with a pillow and gave him the forever Hugin.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: So flashing forward a little bit too, about the turn of the twentieth century is when research got a little more serious about it, and they found that extracts from your ovaries could have beneficial treatments for things like hot flashes during menopause, and it could stimulate what's called estros, which is where the word estrogen comes from. But estris is like when an animal is in heat. If you've ever seen a cat or something or a dog in heat, it's pretty clear that something different is going on, right, And that word estrogen in nineteen oh six comes from that word estrus, which is from the Greek word oystros, which means mad desire.
Speaker 2: It also sounds like a brand of.
Speaker 1: Yogurt oysters, Yeah, oystros. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So once these guys like this is the beginning of the twentieth century, very late nineteenth but mostly the first couple decades of the twentieth century, scientists are starting to isolate hormones, and in particular sex hormones, and they're like, well, what happens if you give them to humans? Now forget the frogs and rats and all that stuff. And what they figured out very quickly is like you said, they like menopause have been around for a while, and they're like, well, women have menopause and estrogen seems to be the woman's sex hormone. Let's give them estrogen and see what happens. And it actually had a pretty beneficial effect. It's been long known that estrogen given as like a drug can treat symptoms of menopause, like hot flashes and stuff. And the first estrogen, I guess prescription drug. It's called premarin, which says like a perfectly legitimate, big pharma sound to it, right, Premarin. That's a great name for a drug. But it's even better if you know what it stands for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is well should we say when it stands say what it is and then what it stands for.
Speaker 2: I think you can do both simultaneously.
Speaker 1: Actually, well, it's not a synthetic estrogen.
Speaker 3: It was actually a natural isolated estrogen derived from the urine of a pregnant horse. So premarin stood for pre pregnant mayor mayor and the end from urine, so pre maren pregnant horse urine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was I believe this is nineteen thirty nine.
Speaker 3: It was made of like ten different estrogens and was available commercially in the US just a few years later, and by nineteen ninety two was the highest selling drug in the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you want to have a good idea of just how crazy the pharmaceutical market has become in the US, Premarin was the I think you said, the most prescribed drug in the US.
Speaker 3: Well, the best selling I guess sho would match. Yeah, the hit single exactly.
Speaker 2: So this hit single, Premarin in nineteen ninety seven had revenues of one billion dollars. Pretty not shabby. It'd be about two billion dollars today. Humera, the second best selling drug in twenty twenty two, had revenues of twenty one billion dollars. In that nuts like, that's that's just night and day compared to how far we've I guess how far we've come. It's one way to put it. But the upsot is premar in was it was a lifesaver. Men were like, hey, I'd like you to be sexually available. Why don't you take this horse, you're in estrogen, And when we were like, it solves my hot flash problems sold so it actually, it really was very popular for a while, and it wasn't until I think two thousand and two that it just dropped off precipitously.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, And we should mention too that this was you know, it was obviously for things like hot flashes, but they were also marketing it as a way to maintain femininity as you age, none other than William Masters of Masters in Johnson's Fame Sex Crime. They said that women should use the drug to avoid falling into the third sex or the neutral gender, which is very off base, to say the least. But yeah, in two thousand and two, things change because there was the Women's Tell Initiative released a study about attitudes that that really like changed everything when it comes to how women or people in general think of hormone therapy when they said that it can cause breast cancer, heart disease, blood clots, and stroke if you take what was called by this time prim pro which was Primaran and pro Vera as a you know, sort of a cocktail. And they they minute so much they said, we're even stopping this study. But it turns out there was just a lot of bad reporting about that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There's a New York Times magazine article about menopause by a writer named Susan Dominus, who basically reported that the media just jumped all over it. There's like, there's a twenty six percent increased risk in developing breast cancer if you take Prempro or generally have hormone replacement therapy, and that's whopping. That's a big, a big number, a big percentage. But in absolute numbers, it's actually not that big. So the average woman had a two point three to three percent chance of developing breast cancer. If you took Prempro, you had a two point nine to nine percent chance, So like that was your twenty six percent increase, And in real terms, it sorted out to, based on the population at the time, an additional eight women developing breast cancer out of every ten thousand who were taking replacement hormones. Nothing to sneeze at those eight women. I'm sure would much rather prefer not to have breast cancer. But the point was the risks of it were grossly overstated, and that it got but it got such a bad rap because of the reporting that for a couple of decades, just trust and hormone replacement therapy dropped off and a lot of women suffered unnecessarily as a result.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think they didn't even find that the transdermal variety was in fact much safer than the other way of taking it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely so, Like if you take it orally, which is what it was always before, pretty much it has to go through your liver to be processed, and while it's there it can do all sorts of nasty stuff side effects that you don't really want, like causing thrombosis and blood clots, it can lead to heart disease, whereas if you do it transdermally, it just enters the bloodstream and it does its thing with minimal side effects. So we've reached the point today where your average kind of coologists is probably going to say the benefits if you're healthy outweigh the risk of taking it, especially if you are under age sixty, and especially if you're under age seventy and you start apparently there's a if you have a gap between menopause and then start hormone replacement therapy of a decade or two, then it can become pretty risky. And by the way, I don't have my lab code on right now, I would advise you not to take gecological health advice from me. Instead, ask your doctor. But this is what I've seen from research.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that, I mean you say that virtually every time you meet someone in person. I've heard you say those same words.
Speaker 2: I'm big on that for sure.
Speaker 3: Say Hi, Josh, nice to meet you. I dude, stuff you should know. Please don't take onecological advice for me. Yeah, no matter what comes out of my mouth at this dinner part.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just a smart thing to say.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: So this is all going on on the ester's in side, on the testosterone side, and we're gonna, you know, kind of bop back and forth between.
Speaker 1: The two of these.
Speaker 3: That was isolated, I believe in nineteen thirty five. In fact, that's when the name testosterone got its name, which is sort of the big daddy mail hormone.
Speaker 1: And we'll talk about all the versions of these in a second.
Speaker 3: And on its own, testosterone, you know, wasn't doing very much. But when they added estrone, which is a quote unquote female hormone, it became very powerful. And in nineteen thirty nine, there were a couple of guys dude, name I guess one guy, sorry, Leopold Ruska. Oh no, no, there were two guys and Adolph Butenant of Germany. They won the Nobel Prize for chemistry by working on largely testosterone, but you know sex hormones as a whole. And none other than mister Adolf Hitler was one of the early adopters when it came to a testosterone treatment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had low tit.
Speaker 2: I meant to send you this, and I'm sorry I didn't, but I turned up something that there was in British World War two military files. There were like a bunch of ideas of how to like basically take neutralized Hitler, and one of them was to start slipping estrogen into his food and that over time it would basically turn him from a maniac, murderous killer psycho to maybe a little calmer, maybe a little more feminized. And the whole idea was that if you put poison in his food, he had tasters, and the tasters would die from the poison and he would know that he was being poisoned. That would not happen with estrogen. It would take place over such a long time they wouldn't be able to taste it that that apparently it was never even attempted, or certainly not carried out, but that was someone's idea to take care of Hitler. It would have been hilarious, dude, to see that transition, like had they done that, and then just to be able to look back all these years later and watch the progression.
Speaker 3: There's a Benny Hill sketch in there somewhere, for sure, I think so.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: Initially, medically speaking, the first use of testosterone was to try and cure homosexuality in males, which was a needless to say, it spectacularly back fired because all it did was, you know, it didn't alter any orientation. It just created I guess super tops and power bottoms and ramped up to sex drive. And then of course trans people. This was you know, very early in the days of hormone therapy for trans people. It was actually going on, and in fact, we did a whole episode in April twenty nineteen called Michael Dillon Trans Pioneer about the Englishman who was I mean, I think probably the first person at least from the female to male transition to use that hormone in nineteen forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it definitely was from what we could tell.
Speaker 3: And by the way, if you go back and listen to that episode, if you're like, oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: We heard from listeners.
Speaker 3: We goofed up the pronouns on that one because we thought, and this is five years ago, we know better now, but we thought it would be a good idea to sort of let the pronouns follow the journey of Michael Dillon's life. And you know, we know better now, So just take that with a grain of salt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kid, co. And while we're on that, we should probably say we're using male and female and man and woman just generally a shorthand, a biological shorthand. With the advent of trans people, there there's a much more specific way of talking about that. Specifically, we would we should be saying typically developing assigned male at birth or assigned female at birth, people who haven't altered their hormones. Right, that's tough to say over and over again, rather than man or woman. So please forgive us for that. We're not we're not being disrespectful in that way, and we're certainly not excluding trans people from this, because this very much has a lot to do with trans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and well you know that'll come in part too, obviously.
Speaker 2: For sure. I say we take a break and come back and we'll start talking about estrogen.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: All right, So we're back with estrogen. Welcome to the studio, estrogen. How have you been doing so? That is, usually you think of estrogen as one of the two female sex hormones with progesterone, and it is actually a family of three hormones, the first one being estrone, and that is the that's not the money estrogen, that's the weakest one menopause. You know, it keeps getting produced through menopause. It's made in the adrenal glands, it's made in the ovaries, it's made in fatty tissue, and it can actually serve as a sort of a warehouse keeping place for estrogen.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, for sure. So here's where we get to the idea that it's just misguided. Think estrogen is a woman's sex hormone and that's it. There's so much more to it. The whole reason you would continue producing estrogen as a woman in some form or fashion after menopause. I mean, if you're not having sex, if you can't reproduce any longer, why would you produce estrogen? You would produce a weaker version because it's still doing other things like it's really important for bone growth and muscle development and to keep yourself active. There's a lot of stuff that estrogen does just beyond forming the reproductive system or for sexing females.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we also did mention and this is probably if someone wants more quote unquote proof. Estrogen is found in plants like rice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we could just end the podcast right here.
Speaker 1: Testosterone is not found in plants, only in the animal world.
Speaker 3: But we'll get to that, all right. The next one we come to that was E one. By the way, E two is estra diol, which is this is the estrogen. This is the potent one. This is made in the ovaries of women and made in the testes of men. Once again, men and women both have each in different levels. And this is the one that really like kicks in during puberty and then takes a break during menopause. Not a break but more like a retirement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it goes to Florida.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah Flora for once. I'm just gonna stick with my original one. Good Astriol is another one. This one is mostly produced during pregnancy to help the uterus grow, and it also helps with breastfeedings. It leads to most of the body changes during pregnancy. You can thank estriol for that. And there are other types of estrogen, but typically it's those three. Those are the big ones. And it's obviously everyone knows estrogen is the reason that you have breasts and that your hips fill out, and that it has a lot to do with a woman's monthly cycle, right, And that's absolutely true. That has a lot to do with everything, like that's what estrogen does. But it is again it's important for metabolizing muscles, for preventing your muscles from injury. It also contributes to endurance, which if you read about ultra marathons, women tend to dominate those I was reading about, Like short runs, men can outrun women very easily. Marathons typically men win. But then as you get further and further and further, and actually there's a moment I think it's like like one hundred and fifty miles or some mind boggling amount of distance, women start to slowly overtake men. And then the longer you go, the further ahead, women finish before men in tests of endurance like that, and they think it's because they have higher stores of estrogen, which is helping their muscles work better.
Speaker 3: So you talked about good for like you know, muscle growth and muscle formation. Sure, Also estrogen can help facilitate brain activity, skin elasticity, which you know, is that why like wrinkles happen as you age? Is that because of drop and among other things in estrogen?
Speaker 2: I would think so. I think it's also just they've been around the block so many times, like skin, I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So if you're a doctor, doctor Clark.
Speaker 2: Well, no, okay, why am I?
Speaker 3: Why am I going wrinkley around the eyes here? What's going on with physiologically with my body? You know, it's been around the block?
Speaker 1: What more? What more can I say? And also, don't take any gynecological advice from me.
Speaker 2: Right, I'd be like, I thought you're a dermantologist. Oh I'm neither.
Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 3: So estrogen is something that can affect mood, but you know it's it fluctuates. I think pre menopausal women have a range of about thirty to forty pikeograms per mili liter, But it varies from person to person. And then like we said, it rises and falls during the menstrual cycle. It's not like a set number. I think Postman Apostle that drops all the way down from literally zero to thirty.
Speaker 1: And then for.
Speaker 3: Men, for guys like you and me, yeah, we have a range of about ten to fifty. I'm probably more like fifty five or sixty would be my guess.
Speaker 2: So I'm right there with you, buddy. So again, the reason why men would have it at all is because it's not just the woman's sex a female sex hormone. It does other stuff. Just I can't say this enough because it was such a sure you can like it, It was such an epiphany for me. I'm just like, Oh, I had no idea that it was this, that things overlap this much. Yeah, I mean I didn't think it was just like cut and dry, but I knew there was some crossover, but I didn't realize just how much Steinbach screwed us up with that whole binary thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was trying to make a joke about a pop act that crossed over, but I couldn't come up with it.
Speaker 1: Just, uh, someone send in a good joke there.
Speaker 2: How about Bay Bay Beyonce in the country.
Speaker 1: I heard about that, did you hear it? Is it good? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's fine. I'm not huge in the country.
Speaker 1: So it's real country then, huh.
Speaker 2: No, it's like dance floor line dancing hunt. Yeah, sure it is real country. Yes, but it's not like it's not like Hank or anything like that. But it's like a it's more like Garth. It's like a Garth Brooks song.
Speaker 1: Oh geez, I need to hear it.
Speaker 3: I thought it was more just like Hi and Beyonce and I put on a cowboy hat.
Speaker 2: So now, no, she's from Texas. You know she knows what she's talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. Can we talk about the Big.
Speaker 2: Don't please don't quote me on that. I'm not in the bay Hive.
Speaker 1: Okay, I went to that concert. Was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll bet. Can we talk about the Big t Oh we're here? Huh yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean we're going to go back and forth. But T needs to he needs this tea is ready to speak.
Speaker 2: I think before we do, I want to say one other thing about estrogen. It apparently encourages physical movement, and you're like, so like with low estrogen, your will to get up and move or walk across the room or go take a walk is depleted because your estrogen is lower. It's as simple as that Isn't that nuts? Yeah, that's cool. So yes, now we're on to tea.
Speaker 1: That's right, the male hormone in.
Speaker 2: Part, Yes, and that's no joke. Like, for sure, estrogen helps form females, Testosterone helps form males, and apparently in the uterus they're both exposed to copious amounts of testosterone. It's just what differentiates females from males or keeps females from developing into males. Because I didn't know this either, Chuck. We all start out as females. Did you know that.
Speaker 1: I think we talked about that in our puberty episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, so just bear with me for a second. We all start out as females, and then we're all we're all kind of inundated with testosterone. But females typically have something called aromatase, which is an enzyme that converts testosterone into estrogen much more prevalent in the feed in the placenta with the fetus, and so it's basically like batting away all the testosterone. So the baby comes out assigned female at birth. Pretty interesting, huh. Like without the injection of testosterone, we would all be females or without the presence of aromatase, we would all be males.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: And then once things are you know, I guess what that's around the seventh week or.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, something like that.
Speaker 1: That's when the testicles start to produce testosterone. That's when the.
Speaker 3: Factory opens up. And I don't think we mentioned, but testosterone is a member of a family of androgen hormones. Uh, boy to should we even try and say these or just say the shorthand? I want to say them, knock yourself out?
Speaker 2: Uh andros stenny dione then I practiced and st andres steno dione.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's right.
Speaker 2: D hydro epi andros sterone also known as dh A sure, d hydro epi androsterone sulfate d h A, yes, and then dihydro testosterone d h T.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Nice work.
Speaker 3: Thanks, you get to move on in our medical competition.
Speaker 2: You could be a doctor, but but I'm not. So don't that's forgotten logical.
Speaker 1: Advice, never never or any medical advice.
Speaker 3: Uh So, Like I said, the test testosterone factory is open at about seven weeks. And the reason we went back and kind of named the others is because some of that testosterone at that age is converted into the dhea. Right, yeah, I'm not gonna say it. And that is the sort of the money hormone for making the penis form and grow in the prostate. And about seven months in is when the trigger is kicked off by testosterone for testicular descent. Even though that can happen after you're born.
Speaker 2: It makes it hilarious. Beew sound.
Speaker 1: Oh man, where's your slide whistle?
Speaker 2: I don't have it on me. Maybe gerial'll work it in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you actually isolated some slide whistle cuts, so don't.
Speaker 2: Tell everybody I know. Here's one of the facts of the podcast. To me. I had no idea about this. But so male babies are flooded with testosterone. They don't have a bunch of aromatase to convert all of it into estrogen, so they become male and all the stuff that you just mentioned happens. But they do have some aromatase, and some of that testosterone is converted into estra diol, and that estra dial actually is what forms the male brain. So estrogen forms the male brain starts out as testosterone converted into estratiol. It causes the changes in the brain that create.
Speaker 1: The male brain whatever, snowflake.
Speaker 2: I just think that's awesome. Like it also just goes to show you, like just how so, I mean, just imagine what an intricate chemical dance this is and how Yeah, you just adjust this a little bit and adjust that a little bit and all sorts of different outcomes can happen. It's just fascinating, Oh for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean, when you're a little kid, there's not a lot of difference between your testosterone levels. If you're a little girl a little boy, I think usually under ten nanograms per desolators at puberty where things just go hog wild, right, and little boy's testosterone just shoots through the roof. It rises in girls as well, but nothing like it does in boys. Once you become a big man, a full grown man like us, you're gonna have tea levels between three hundred and a thousand, if you know, if you have normal quote unquote normal tea. Women have much lower levels between fifteen and seventy. And this is you know, in little boys, what's gonna trigger your voice to change, your bone and muscle mass to grow. You're you know, all of a sudden, you're gonna have body hair and facial hair and stuff like that. And also, and I think we've talked about this at some point, but it is related to male pattern baldness. But I don't think they're still at the level where they can say like, hey, if you have high tee, then you're more likely to be bald.
Speaker 2: Yes. And that's really really important to point out, dude, is that we are not at a place in microbiology or human chemistry or we're like, this is what this hormone does, and this is what that hormone and dones. And one of the reasons why is because the same hormone can have wildly different effects depending on at what stage in a reaction it comes in, or in what tissues or what regions of the brain or the body it's interacting with other things. So when you add all these different not just other kinds of hormones, but also like neurotransmitters or neuromodulators and all this stuff, it just becomes exponentially more complicated and complex. So we're still kind of at the place where it's like, yeah, testosterones for boys and estrogens for girls, and we're making tons of headway, but generally speaking, we're still at a very basic level and understanding what hormones are capable of. And then also on the flip side, looking at behavior and saying like, oh, well, clearly aggression is related to high levels of testosterone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we'll get to that coming up in a sect for short with there been lots of studies, Well, we need to talk about testosterone dropping over the years, because men don't experience like a drop off in testosterone like women do with menopause and estrogen. But it does decline in both men and women testosterone by about a percentage a year starting in your thirties, sort of early to mid thirties generally, although that can vary as well, and it can vary just from time to time too. A man's level of testosterone can go up or down fairly dramatically for different reasons over short periods of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And just like with estrogen, testosterone is also responsible for bone growth and development in remodeling, apparently, the testosterone is useful for the hard outer layers of the bone and estrogen is for the spongy interior layers. It's cool and also something else that stood out to me is men's estrogen levels are roughly similar to women's testosterone levels under normal circumstances. Yeah, I guess so, right, Yeah, I think it's pretty interest.
Speaker 1: I think I'm looking at the numbers.
Speaker 2: Did they add up?
Speaker 3: Well, you were talking about aggression. I mean, should we take a break and talk about that or should we wait?
Speaker 2: I say we take a break. Now, we've already the monkey's already flown the.
Speaker 3: Coup, right, all right, the monkey's out of the bag, the cat is out of the cage.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Okay, Chuck, So we're back. We found the cat, put them in the cradle with the silver spoon, so everything's back to normal.
Speaker 1: Sad a song?
Speaker 2: Oh it is? It is pretty said, especially if you like your dad.
Speaker 1: Especially if you had problems with your dad.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I guess so, I guess so.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Is there any circumstance where that wouldn't be a sad?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe the perfect amount of care and love from your father and with no accompanying.
Speaker 2: Abuse, gotcha, perfect?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that's very prevalent. Yeah. So, yeah, we're talking about testosterone, we're talking about sex, we're talking about aggression. All of those things seem to be very much intertwined in the public consciousness about testosterone. Right, the more testosterone you have, the more stillone esque you are, the more likely you are to wear like a floor length mink coat with no shirt underneath, which I have to say, if I could wear that, I definitely would, if I could rock that look. It's a good look.
Speaker 3: And Josh, I think if you remember, I wore that exact coat in the movie, in my film Nighthawks, is that what happens from I think you are mink coat in Nighthawks?
Speaker 1: Okay, although he was a cop in Nighthawks. You can afford a mink coat.
Speaker 2: No way, not on a cop salary, not an honest cop, an underrated movie. So is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if it holds up great, but I thought it had a pretty good ending. We won't spoil.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's and it's definitely spoilable for sure.
Speaker 3: But and that was my st alone. By the way, people are just like, what are you even talking about? Why did Chuck slur there?
Speaker 2: For a little while, I thought it came through loud and clear. Okay, But the idea is that, like the whole reason the Rambo films were made, particularly two and three, is because Sylvester still own experienced a massive spike in testosterone. It had to get it out in some productive way, right.
Speaker 1: Oh, I thought it was because Rambo was no expendable.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen those movies.
Speaker 1: Huh No, no, no, it was a joke from Rainbow two.
Speaker 2: Oh well, he was also in the Expendables.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. I wonder if that had anything to do with that line.
Speaker 2: Probably not, It could be at I'm sure there's some people who are like, shut up and talk about aggression in testosterone, you're making me aggressive.
Speaker 1: Well, what if you knew to a male dog. That's a good sort of first example.
Speaker 2: That's a great entree, Chuck. Most people would say that if you neuter, if you remove the testicles of a male dog, it's going to become much more submissive, much chiller, probably a lot more fun at parties, will come pick you up if your car breaks down, that kind of thing. And there is some data that shows that that's the case, that some dogs are calmer once they're neutered, But the other studies have shown like the exact opposite is true, that dogs can become actually more aggressive when they're neutered, which is a head scratcher of a puzzler if you ask me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I just went through this with Gibson, and he's not more aggressive because that's an aggressive is a weird word, because aggressive isn't the same thing as like, you know, heaper now just like an excitable puppy, Like that's not aggression necessarily. Yeah, but it definitely did not chill him out at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I don't know that it's supposed to, but yeah, I think some people think it does. But the idea that it would make a dog more aggressive, so it had like no impact on him as far as like his energy level is what you're saying. Yeah, so imagine if he was generally like that before and then you neuted him and then he started like biting people. Yeah, that's that's what happens with some dogs. And they're like, well, that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. One of the explanations is is that we think testosterone is tied up with confidence more than aggression, and that a dog that has this chemical confidence removed through neutering can actually become more more nervous, and nervous dogs frequently will bite or bark more than they did when they had confidence via testosterone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that ties in perfectly to the fact that and this to me is one of the facts of the show. But they have done studies and male athletes, like you know, superior male athletes, actors, it or not, blue collar workers and confidence artists, con men, they all have above average levels of testosterone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there you have it, so too, all right, case closed, So too though, And this is the state of study right now with studying the stuff where we're relating human behavior to hormones like testosterone or estrogen, Like, there's results like that out there, but that we arrive at the question, well, wait a minute, do people who have higher levels of testosterone naturally gravitate to those professions or does being in a profession like acting or being a con man raise your testosterone life? Right, They're like, well, hold on, okay, I got this. We're going to go study prisoners, specifically violent criminal offenders and see what their testosterone levels are.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: Sure enough, they found that their testosterone levels were above average, But that still raises the question do higher levels of testosterone make you more prone to any social violent behavior? Or does being in prison raise your levels of testosterone. We still don't know at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty interesting because I think a lot of people, like the generals, just the old way of thinking was like, of course.
Speaker 2: It does, right, And you know what they're finding, they think is that it's more that testosterone is released when you need it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it meets the occasion.
Speaker 2: Right, It's not the thing that's driving the behavior. It's like, oh, this guy says it's go time, we better release some testosterone to keep it going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this next thing is super interesting to me. You know, moment to moment throughout your day, you're gonna your testosterone is going to rise and fall some. And they have found that if you lose, like a running race or a one on or a basketball game, or an arm wrestling match, or even a chess match, you will lose testosterone. So it's not even necessarily it can be something as cerebral as a chess match, but losing reduces your testosterone. Winning increases and boosts your testosterone. And they even found this is crazy to me, that they sampled male voters for like an election and just your candidate losing causes a drop in testosterone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't that nuts? That was among McCain voters because it was the two thousand and eight election. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like it's unbelievable, like winning and losing even if you're not participating other than voting yes.
Speaker 2: So they also found that they think that social expectations can kind of modulate behavior, right, and this kind of ties into that idea that testosterone kind of helps foster a response rather than triggering a response, right. So essentially what they found is that with testosterone levels, we can correlate it as far as if you are having if you're faced with a fight or flight situation and you choose to fight, you probably are experiencing an up tick in testosterone levels. Again that you didn't have testosterone and now you're choosing to fight. They think the exact opposite is true, that you've chosen to fight and your testosterone levels go up. On the other hand, they found that if you choose to flee or say not be aggressive, your cortisol levels, your stress hormone levels increase. So our response seems to be based on what we think society will either reward or punish, and then based on our decision from that our hormones kick in to help kind of carry out whichever response we decide to go with. So one other thing that I found was that that surprised me is that testosterone isn't just made in like the t testies or the ovaries depending on your sex assigned a birth, but that it's actually made locally in the brain, and that testosterone can also be transformed into different types of estrogen in the brain too, And they think that locally produced is what it's called testosterone in like our neural pathways, has much more of an effect on behavior, mood, that kind of stuff than the stuff that's made in the testes or the ovaries, and that actually accounts for some of the baffling results we've gotten where you know, if you take a blood sample of somebody and find that they were just being aggressive, but their blood doesn't show any kind of spike and testosterone, well, that would account for that because it's not the stuff that's floating around in their blood that's making them do that. It's the locally produced testosterone in their brain that's you know, connecting with their amygdala or something like that it's making that's helping them their aggressiveness, I guess alone.
Speaker 3: And now I know everyone wants to get to the part about sex and what testosterone does there. And testosterone does, you know, sort of directly ramp up the sex drive in men and women. And they have done trials where they have shown that it increases the libido. But just because your tea falls doesn't necessarily mean it's going to decrease your libido. It can, but it doesn't mean it has to.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, Again, that's just there's baffling results we get sometimes from just studies of what we presume has to do with testosterone or estrogen, and it just doesn't quite job.
Speaker 3: All right, So I guess now we can sort of finish up with some talk of intersex people and where we stand now with hormone therapy, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because one group there's a lot of different people besides postmenopausal or perimenopausal women who take hormone replacement therapy, intersex people, people who are born with ambiguous genditalia. Because like we'd mentioned that whole amazingly intricate dance of chemicals and hormones during development. Fetal development can just take one step to the left or one step to the right, and all of a sudden, there's just a different outcome that happens to some people. And some people take hormone replacement therapy to either become more like the gender they presume that they would have been assigned at birth, or the gender that they feel like they were assigned at birth but their genitalia doesn't quite match. There's a lot of different outcomes that are basically considered conditions that you can kind of help alleviate with hormone replacement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. Another one.
Speaker 3: And I'm pretty sure we talked about this in our female puberty episode. Was starting the nineteen forties, and maybe even before that, estrogen therapy and hormone treatment could help. Basically what they would say, like, you know, you don't want your daughter to grow too tall, so they would use a hormone block. You don't see that as much today. It was called precocious puberty, which is still.
Speaker 1: A thing that can happen.
Speaker 3: I think if you enter puberty, I think it's like a year or two two or what's considered too early, or you know, just with outside of the normal range. You can also use these hormone blocking drugs. I mean they still use in today, but that it's not like say you don't grow too tall. It's basically just to save off puberty and to halt precocious puberty in its tracks. Also, if you are a trans kid, you can use a hormone blocker to just sort of hit the pause button to give you a little time to decide what kind of puberty to go through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because once you go through puberty, particularly if you think it was the wrong puberty for the gender you identify with, there are going to be changes that are essentially irreversible aside from surgery. Like if you go through female puberty but you're a trans male, you're still going to have breasts that half to be removed. Or if you're a trans woman and you went through male puberty, your vocal cords are gonna think you're gonna have a deeper voice, and maybe an atom's apple surgery will have to remove that. That's how powerful the hormones that get released and the amounts that they get released in during puberty. So if you're not quite sure which gender you belong to yet, using hormone blockers can actually help kind of, like you said, buy you some time until you figure out which way you want to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and as far as testosterone therapy goes, if you have a deficiency and testosterone because of hypogonatism or maybe from HIV or something like that, it's obviously gonna help with that. Also problems like and here's where it gets a little tricky, depression, low muscle mass, low energy. There's some evidence that can prove sexual function, but not as much that it can increase your low energy if you're just sort of losing testosterone at that normal rate of like one what was it, I can't remember.
Speaker 2: The one percent a year? I think is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, one percent a year. But if you have an actual deficiency, they've shown that it can improve sexual function and just don't have as much proof with energy level.
Speaker 2: So does that mean that the ad that has Frank Thomas and Doug Flutie in it talking about how they're like crushing their workouts that actually doesn't work. Well.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they're just saying if they're claiming they're just having natural decline in age, or if they had a deficiency to begin with, because that's that seems to be the differentiating factor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, Yeah, who knows.
Speaker 1: I mean, let's call up Doug Flutie in.
Speaker 2: Let's get him on the horn exactly. Uh, you got anything else?
Speaker 1: Uh no, I got nothing else.
Speaker 2: I got nothing else either. This is a very enlightening podcast episode. I should say a lot of stuff I didn't know about, and now I know more, and you still shouldn't take my advice medically speaking. Never since Chuck said never after a nice hearty chuckle, it means it's time for listener may.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, I was turned on your show about six months ago and have been rapidly consuming multiple episodes each day going back and forth to work. I heard the school bus yellow episode this morning and thought you might not have found this little nugget you pointed out mister Sear Sire was credited with the standardization. I believe you also noted some other districts had already turned to bright paint jobs on school buses. But on March twenty third, nineteen thirty one, the Pleasant Hill tragedy near town Or, Colorado was because I had a blizzard that came in that morning. School shut down sent the kids home, and one of the school buses ran off the road, stuck in the snow for thirty plus hours. Resulting in the death of five of the twenty students and the bus driver.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: The aftermath theorized that a brightly painted school bus would have been much easier to spot in the white out and might not have sat waiting so long to be found. So buses in Colorado adopted the yellow standard by nineteen thirty nine, and the proposal for Mister Sire became a national standard. Unfortunately, it was a reactive, not proactive solution, brought on by a spring blizzard on the plains of eastern Colorado. That is from John Colts, and I was just curious John didn't say I guess that.
Speaker 1: School bus might have been white.
Speaker 2: I would think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not a great color.
Speaker 2: No, No, for sure. Thanks a lot, John, That was a really amazing email. I never heard of that one. That's terrible. If you want to bring us down terribly like John did, you can send us an email, wrap it up, spank it on the bottom, and send it off to Stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com. Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,