Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show, fellow Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Let's have an R made for our super producer, mister Max Williams.
Speaker 2: I and R.
Speaker 1: You're Noel Brown, I'm Ben Bowling Noel. What would your pirate name be if you had to choose one? Ooh goodness, gracious put me on the spot. Why don't you?
Speaker 2: Uh? I mean, I don't know, like long John something, Perhaps that's good.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: I like John long John Platinum a.
Speaker 1: Long time plus, so I would probably get tagged with something like bend the Red yeah, and which which would be funny because I can't because I'm partially red green color blinds.
Speaker 2: So we're wearing a red hat currently. Oh oh really weird? Okay, so I got elephants on. It's really good, thank you.
Speaker 1: Uh. Here in the US, we do love nicknames. We also love weird comparisons. It's kind of a known joke in our culture today that we will, in general come up with any comparison to avoid the metric system. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, wolves and oranges, as we like to say.
Speaker 1: I saw his story a while back about wearing. A newscaster described an alligator as ariana grande sized.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I can see that she's she's kind of compact.
Speaker 1: As a unit of measurement. You know, are we.
Speaker 2: Talking about her ponytail length? That's yeah, okay, got it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But you know, well, you always see those comparisons where they're like this, you know, this object is about the size of four quarter pounders, or this is this many football fields, when it would be much more rational and sane to just use the metric system. It's almost like our country has a phobia about this, like we only talk about the metric system here in general when we're speaking about science, drugs, or firearms.
Speaker 2: It's true. I always think of the clip from pulp fiction where it goes, they ain't got they got the metric system over there, they wouldn't know what a quarter pounder is.
Speaker 1: Roy I love his accent though in too so, even though it's a laugh, and there are loads of examples that we might get to later. Today, there is a conundrument at play, like why didn't the US catch up with the rest of planet Earth, with the rest of human civilization. Why are we so averse to the metric system. According to one legend, the answer may be pirates.
Speaker 2: Ah. Yes, of course we fear change and pirate. So what is in fact the metric system? For any of you non US residing ridiculous historians, this could well be old beans to you, as you would say, mister Boland, but it's definitely something that we as Americans really do need to wrap our head around. Like, the metric system is humanity's most popular form of measurement. It is a decimal system of weights and measures based on the meter for length and the kilo or kilogram for mass.
Speaker 1: And we owe this to the French Revolution.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it came up in our last episode, Yeah, of seventeen eighty nine. It ushered in a lot of chaos, and along with that it ushered in some pretty solid innovations, like the metric system or the guillotine. Ah, yes, Neil, that'll chestnut love. It a very very very efficient way of murdering a human. And interestingly enough, I think this has come up in recent episodes. Two was still in use much more recently than folks might think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this was terrible for the executioner industry. You know, they were automating people's jobs.
Speaker 2: They're taking our jobs. Our friends of Batanaga have this to say about it. We love our friends in Britannica. In seventeen ninety one, the French National Assembly directed the French Academy of Sciences to address the chaotic state of French weights and measures. It was decided that the new system would be based on a natural physical unit to ensure immutability. Love that word. The Academy settled in the length of one ten millionth of a quadrant of a great circle of Earth. Might need to unpack this a little bit measured around the poles of the meridian passing through Paris being the center of the universe, and Arduis six year survey which eventually yielded a value of thirty nine point three seven zero zero eight inches for the new unit to be called the meter from Greek metron, meaning measure.
Speaker 1: There we go simple enough, right, and things move quickly from there. By seventeen ninety nine we see the emergence of the meta and kilogram of the archives, which is a flawless French accent. There these are platinum embodiments, artifacts that show us what a kilogram weighs and how long a meter is. They're the legal standards for all measurement in France, and the motto of the metric system is really cool. It's kind of inspiring. It's for all people, for all time. Nice.
Speaker 2: You know, I do like that. It is efficient, it is egalitarian. By eighteen seventy five, the system went wide, went global international with the signing of the Treaty of the Meter. It's fun and the establishment of the International Bureau of Weights and Measures Treaty of.
Speaker 1: The Meter and Weights. Okay, so International Bureau of Weights and Measures sounds like a weird band I would hear in Athens, Georgia.
Speaker 2: Agreed. Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna copy that. Of the Meter is their album.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we're onto something here. Look, the metric system is not perfect, but it is way way better than the often arbitrary measurement systems of the past. It's a political it's based in science. It establishes uniformity for everyone involved with the metric system. You no longer have to worry about a span being different in one town to another.
Speaker 2: You know, like it is a little it is a political, but it does have a little bit of that Viva la France. Vibe to it, and that Paris was the center of the measurements and questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like Greenwich meantime, you know.
Speaker 2: But it's not like they brag about it or that it's inherent in the naming conventions, right, but it's just, you know, that's how they derived that thirty seven point whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they gave the Greeks their their credit. They get a shout out. They didn't call the meter the Paris Now anythink.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's true. That is everyone, of course, except for the United States, along with Liberia and meandmar that's a story for a different day, accepted these these conventions, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So to answer the question about the US and its fraud relationship with the metric system, we would like to share with you an incredibly popular legend travel back with us, fellow ridiculous historians. The US still has that new car smell, even though cars have not been invented yet.
Speaker 2: So as a result, this new nation under God, it's a bit of an shiit sa shoe w this. Every state agreed to be part of this new country. However, there were a lot of details to work out. Different parts of the country, different regions, had different identities, different perhaps opinions, different political leanings, and that also includes something as simple, seemingly a political as how to go about measuring things. So for some reason Thomas Jefferson was really vexed by this lack of continuity.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it was a real bug on his shoulder, and yeah it's a real crossbow is But you know, at the time of the American Revolution, these thirteen colonies more or less used a presently defunct English measuring system ounces, pounds, feet, miles. It sounds familiar to the present system in the United States, but it's not quite the same. So if you go to boffins like Keith Martin at the National Institute of Standards and Technology, you'll see that in New York, according to Keith, people were using Dutch measurement systems, makes sense, but in New England they were using English systems. The way things were measured literally changed from one state to the next, and as we can all imagine, that's not great for business. Here's the legend. The metric system, as we said, it emerges in France seventeen ninety one. Just a few years later, according to the story, old Tommy J who is now the Secretary of State. Hears about this new French system. He's intrigued. He says, maybe this will help solve America's measurement madness are phrased.
Speaker 2: His Yeah, it's sort of like reform madness, not as fun. No, revermads doesn't fun at all. Never mind, take that back. That was a really gnarly propaganda war against them.
Speaker 1: Oh, let's keep it. Listen, more people should know about reformatag Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying keep it. But it wasn't fun.
Speaker 1: Oh it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like it might be. We read for madness. Everyone's walking up having a good time. No, that is not what it was. It was an absolute moral panic that was manufactured in order to other minorities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the main fear being misingenation. So weirdly enough, So okay. Tommy J. Writes to his colleagues, his fellow thought leaders over in France, and they hatch a plan. They're going to send a scientist, a botanist, an aristocrat, not three guys, all the same guy named Joseph Dombi. He's going to cross the Atlantic. He's going to visit Jefferson, and on his person he will have two strange artifacts, a rod that measures exactly a meter and a small copper cylinder. It's got a little handle on the top. It's about three inches tall, it's about three inches wide. It weighs exactly one kilogram. So the idea is that if Dombie can get over to the new United States and talk with Jefferson, then maybe they can they can get the US on board with this French ciss them. Unfortunately, Dombie's travels do.
Speaker 2: Not go well, No they don't. His ship passes through a massive storm in the Atlantic that blows the vessel far Afield, far south of the Mark into the Caribbean Sea. And the Caribbean was a particularly rough neighborhood populated by roving bands of British privateers aka more or less pirates. They weren't technically criminals, they were sort of these mercenaries of the sea right. However, they capitalized on their more or less lack of oversight from the British government and sort of had a bit of a carte blanche, a bit of a blank check to do whatever they wanted to whomever they wanted, because they controlled the high seas and they actually did have a bit of co sign for some of these nasty shenanigans. They were in fact encouraged by the British to harass, attack, and disrupt any perceived enemy ship lanes shipping activities.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, because let's keep in mind the British are still a little bit irritated that the United States is a thing not loving me. They're they're not feeling it, they're not vibing. So these pirates, in all but name, these privateers, they take over the ship that Dombie is on and they imprison him on an island that they control, Mansarrat, and they are thinking, Okay, this is a pretty fancy guy, right, he's clearly upper class. Let's ransom him, you know what I mean, let's make a little coin. Unfortunately for the pirates and unfortunately for Domby, he dies in captivity. He never makes it to the US, which means that the rod and the cylinder, the meter and the kilogram don't make it there either.
Speaker 2: No, they don't. However, the pirates weren't interested in any of the objects that Dombi was carrying, uh So they were just auctioned off along with the rest of the goods aboard the ship. So the story goes if Danbie had not been let's just say, diverted by that storm and waylaid by the hooliganery of these mates and their crew, he may well have made it to Jefferson, and Jefferson would have actually done his razzle dazzle on Congress, and we all may well be full on metric heads today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a fascinating tale, and I think it would be great for ridiculous history cinema. It's widely cited as a fact in any number of reputable US news sources, so not just more tabloidy stuff like the New York Posts, Sorry guys, that's true, but also things like the Washington Post. The question is, is this story, as our friend Law would say, is this the actual facts explanation for the US's metric system phobia? Are pirates? Genuinely the reason America doesn't mess with the metric system today.
Speaker 2: Have a little bit of an apocryphal vibe to it. I'm not gonna lie right right, it feels like a legend kind of you know what I mean, the stuff of love legend. Absolutely a metric system needs one, right.
Speaker 1: We do know it is true that Dombie's ship was captured Dombi was a real person and at the time he was carrying these new measurement artifacts. We know that he did die in captivity. There are letters informing Jefferson about it, but the details and context of the time show us to your point, Nol, the story is not as cut and dried as as we would like to bust the myths here. We're going to get some help from our friends at Snopes.
Speaker 2: So Jefferson wasn't just intrigued by this new French system. He was already, as you would say, Ben ten Toes down with it on fixing America's measurement issue. So by in the seventeen ninety before the French system came into affect, Jefferson had already published and submitted to Congress a paper on the topic of uniform measurements. And the report, however, didn't really make it to the top of the stack. Let's just say it kind of got sidelined a bit, and as they call it in Hollywood, turnaround limbo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, languished in limbo. Pictured this way. So he pitched two different ideas for a uniform measurement system, and the second one, the one that he really liked, was base tend thing. It was. It was decimal. It was like the French system, like the metric system today. Everybody that he talked to about this, everybody they pitched on it, kind of said, oh yeah, no, good point, Tom, we gotta think about that one.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: We're gonna we're gonna put this right here on the fridge with the other drawings.
Speaker 2: We'll give you a gold star for exactly and give you a little bit of a participation award.
Speaker 1: Yeah. After the game was out of boys his back pats, everybody went on to do other things. Granted, at this point in history of the United States, there was still a lot of other stuff they needed to do.
Speaker 2: For sure, early days, lots to be done. This consorted be seen as certainly not priority number one by the folks in charge. What happens to be a pet concern of mister Jefferson, as we mentioned.
Speaker 1: Right, like, is his passion project? Does he leave the room and people all roll their eyes and chefs.
Speaker 2: And again going on about the metric system.
Speaker 1: What does that guy do? Isn't he supposed to be Secretary of State?
Speaker 2: You guys, we need to rethink this whole situation a bit.
Speaker 1: It's like Elon musk and video games.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, man stuff, He's gonna come for you, Ben, He's gonna come for you.
Speaker 1: I'll have to try to do my best to doge it.
Speaker 2: Yes, dojan weave, Dojiah Weave. There we go.
Speaker 1: So the US didn't make any real progress toward unified measurement until decades later, the eighteen twenties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after continuous prompting and poking and prodding from Tomas Jefferson, like literally be like, hey, guys, them over here, look at me, remember me. We need to work this out. It's a big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so we can conclude it is highly likely. We can't prove this, but we can conclude that Dombie and piracy their role is somewhat overstated in the legend. It's very likely that even if Dombie arrived safely with his Chochke's in tow, the stalemate over measurements would have persisted because it wasn't that people couldn't think of a thing like the metric system. It was that no one really.
Speaker 2: Cared, right except Tommy Jay, who cared a lot. And can we also just say that, like it really seems apocryphal of this notion that you know, the items were the deal breaker, the staff and the whatever, you know what I mean, Like, couldn't they just if it was really that important to them, they could have found something else, you know, Yeah, yeah, and they could have worked it out, right, they could have figured it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so now we have to move to speaking the artifacts. Let's quote that question that you and I often get at the airport, what happened to our kilo?
Speaker 2: We do? It's weird. I don't know why people think the we're some sort of authority on this. It is our burden to bear and it is a heavy one. But God knows what system we should use to weigh it, right, right, We certainly don't. Maybe God does no comment FBI. Ultimately, though, we do know a little bit about these artifacts. That lost kilogram cylinder made it to America, eventually in the hands of an American land surveyor named Andrew Ellicott, and then it was passed down as a relic in the Elicott family all the way up to nineteen fifty two. And this is when a scion of the Ellicott family, Andrew Ellicott Douglas, he realizes what they have a piece of history. He's an astronom, and he doesn't try to make a buck off this or anything. He gives it to the agency that later becomes the National Institute of Standards and Technology or NIST NIST.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can we just take a quick moment to just talk about just the idea of standardization, like the what is so much less important than this, like this whole you know discussion, like what is the objects? Because at the end of the day, it's just about deciding and agreeing what the number is and what we use. So it's like whether it's this rod and this you know whatever pendance or whatever the crap these objects. It just seems kind of beside the point and sort of getting hung up on the wrong details. But I guess therein lies the conundrum of history and the politicization of seemingly benign things, right, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And we also know, I think that point about consensus is really key here. We also know that the kilogram has been redefined over the decades. The version that Dambi was carrying that copper cylinder with a cute little handle, it was almost certainly not the same mass as what we consider the modern kilogram, which is a platinum iridium thing still stored in France. Now, that's what all kilograms and gram derivatives are based off.
Speaker 2: The France does to this day kind of hold a lot of prominence in the fields of science and education, like the Sarball and like certain institutions there. I mean, they are still held up very high and revered, you know, across the world, although it does seem that to some degree, the US still has sort of a weird little beef with France in terms of just attitude. You know, this is often a little bit of dismissiveness when you have certain folks talking about the French. Yeah, I love, I love the French. I love all of the history that we're talking about here. I think we're on the same page there, you know what I mean though, isn't an odd little kind of bit of not bigotry exactly, but sort of a little bit of an attitude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of a jocular animosity. It goes both ways too, you know. Every time that's a perfect example. Yeah, every time I'm hanging out in France. I've got some French national friends in Amsterdam. Get a little ribbing for being from the States. But I think I like to think it's well intentioned, and yeah, France is just amazing. The food is better that that stereotype is true. But like you're saying, the French American animosity aside, the United States still hasn't gone fully metric. You can see legally required metric conversions on all kinds of things, right like the speedometer of your vehicle, the ingredient list or serving sized list, and things you buy on the grocery store. But most people are going to be talking in terms of inches, feet, ounces, pounds.
Speaker 2: You know, could we take a minute and just talk a little bit about why metric is better than that what you just mentioned, Ben, what we use, like what there is it because of these sort of basis in science, The basis in like physical you know, understandable objects and feet and inches seems a little bit less so and maybe a bit more arbitrary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're I think you've kind of answered that right. It's easier to learn because it's a it's a decimal system, but it's got gradation. Yeah. It also it doesn't it doesn't have some of the historical baggage that other measurement systems have, you know, like feet, miles, yards, those are just weird, right, And I think the biggest point now too, is regardless of which system a person may prefer individually, your point about consensus holds it is a matter of what everyone agrees on it. And the rest of the world said, tally ho, bully for the metric system. We've all finally agreed on at least this one thing, and the US said, nah, banana for scale.
Speaker 2: Whereas over here it's like the question like, how long is a yard I was the length of one yard stick?
Speaker 1: Right, right, right?
Speaker 2: Remember yardstick? That was very much a staple of elementary school. I don't know why I'm thinking about the yard stick now. It doesn't really come up much anymore. Can you even still buy yardsticks? Is that thing? Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could buy them. It's just I think they're less frequently seen in households.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: You know, it's not quite as antiquated as the rotary telephone, but it's getting there, you know what I mean. If you have a yard stick, the yard stick is probably old and you probably got it from what are your relatives?
Speaker 2: Now that being said, if we're talking about the UK, they have a quite different use of the term yard It is a measurement of ale, a quite massive boot size, you know, glass of ale, a yard a.
Speaker 1: Yard of ale. So we love nerding out on this kind of stuff. I think it's fair to say that we're fans of the metric system, but we are not measurement experts ourselves. So we were all Noel Maxima. We're all surprised to learn that the US has often had brushes with metric modernity. The mission of Tommy J. Continues apace. In eighteen sixty six, Congress did authorize the use of the metric system, and furthermore, they supplied every state with a set of standard metric weights and measures that every state apparently just.
Speaker 2: Ignored, yeah, completely. In eighteen seventy five, the United States signed the Convention do Meta Established It. That is a very interesting name for a United States treaty establishing an international body to maintain metric standards. In eighteen ninety three, however, all weights and measures used or defined with respect to metric standards. So a pound is officially defined as point four five three five nine two three seven kilograms, and which is why, yeah, exactly in one yard is point nine one four four meters.
Speaker 1: Again, come on, you know what I mean, I feel like Thomas Jefferson difficult.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 1: So then there is in nineteen seventy five, and there's some great MPR pieces about this as well. In nineteen seventy five there's the Metric Conversion Act. And the Metric Conversion Act is the one that is going to get us on the right path. They say, Look, per this Act, the US is going to use the metric system of measurement as our preferred system of weights and measures for all US trade and commerce. Cool dandy, jolly good, the public ignores once again.
Speaker 2: The Act was later amended by the Omnibus Foreign Trade and the Competitiveness Act that's a mouthful of nineteen eighty eight, These Savings in Construction Act of nineteen ninety six, and the Department of Energy High End Computing Revitalization Act of two thousand and four, which were all aimed at pushing the use of the metric system. However, each of these had their own varying degrees of success or lack thereof.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by which we mean no success exactly.
Speaker 2: It's rough.
Speaker 1: It's still you know. It's hold my yard of beer banana for scale all the livelong day here in the United States. We're not defending British privateers. We're not saying pirates are super funkadelic or whatever.
Speaker 2: But they're objectively pretty cool. The image of them is cool. They did some horrific atrocity, yes.
Speaker 1: And they were very dirty, but they also had systems of democracy that were streets ahead rights of the government or the governance you would see in official military vessels.
Speaker 2: What was that island that they had in the Caribbean. I want to say, we did an episode Tortuga Tortuga where they had like an excellent system of government that seemed to function quite well. Ben, this is your research brief, is it not? This is yeah, very very well done. And you end with you leave us with you keep making this reference to banana for scale. Let's go to this Language Nerds site article that you found, which is a series of fun kind of examples that show Americans will measure with anything but the metric system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are my favorites? And you can find all kinds of lists like this. Now that we've redeemed pirates, it's not their fault that the US is not on board with the metric system.
Speaker 2: They did, they were not They were naughty.
Speaker 1: They did capture probably kill that guy, but we wanted to spend just a little time Palin about having some fun with this weird notion that here in America we will use any kind of made up measurement system other than the metric system.
Speaker 2: It's a grudge thing. It's very weird. I don't think we fully unpacked that aspect. I think we've hinted at it, but I think it's still TBD as to where the long standing beef is. To your point about the pirates, we've sort of debunked that a little bit, but yet it continues this avoidance, this absolute rejection. It would seem culturally of the metric system. I think maybe the people think it's too European.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's it. I bet you there's some xenophobia wrapped up. There's probably just the inertia as well. Critical mass is a hell of a drug, yes, right. So. One of my favorite examples in this Language Nerds collection is a picture of a toilet bowl. There's a real avertisement and the picture of the comde you'll see a sign advertising this is real, it's accommodations. Yeah, it says flush is seven billiard balls in a single flush. Why can't you just say what it is in the metric system billiard ball sized poops? You know what, Maybe that's it.
Speaker 2: Those are some heavy poops, seriously, man, And can we also just take a moment to talk about just like the idea of the foot, like it's sort of the length of an average foot kind of human foot, but also not. It's just I don't know, using that term has always thrown me because one of these images you found in this article is that no measuring tape, no problem, your body will do approximately six feet two inches long. And once again a foot of a human is approximately the length of a foot of the measurements. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird too, because you know that opens the door for, like we were saying, arbitrary systems of measurements, where let's say the king says we're measured in feet and the foot is based on my foot, and then the king dies, right, we got a new king footing foot. Another way, a sinkhole roughly the size of six to seven washing machines or.
Speaker 2: Two to three Honda odyssees, two to three Honda odyssees.
Speaker 1: Oh, and then things like oh, this is the smallest mammal, the bumblebee bad weighs less than one coin.
Speaker 2: What's what coin? What denomination? What are you talking about? America? God, get off your high horse. We've got shop with space. Give everyone four hangars of distance. I wish I had that extra closet space. I think this is a callback to maybe COVID times, a clever use of COVID social distancing stickers, some of which you still see in like subway stations and train stations, et cetera, but using it as like an advertisement in hashtag in this together. Yes, shop with space and these hangars, though, I gotta say, ben are weirdly misshapen. These seem like it's absurdly squashed and long hangers.
Speaker 1: That's true. It feels like somebody got lazy in photoshop just a little bit. But they're they're doing their best, and they helpfully provide the real explanation of six feet, but they don't say the meters at all. They just have these four, as you said, deformed coat hangers. Give everyone four deformed coat hangers of distance.
Speaker 2: Got a great sweet from San Miguel's sheriff here describing a traffic what do you call it? Obstruction? Large boulder. The size of a small boulder is complete. What you could have at least had a large boulder the size of several small boulders still absurd, but at least a little better, because is it not just a small boulder at this point, it's completely blocking eastbound lane Highway one forty five? What the heck? Sam Miguel Sheriff.
Speaker 1: Adult deer are as tall as a bicycle. They weigh as much as eight hundred hamburgers.
Speaker 2: That's really helpful that by that I mean not helpful at all.
Speaker 1: Ah, yes, yeah, I agree. We've got this helpful quote unquote helpful explanation explaining to the average person in the US how long six feet.
Speaker 2: Is, which is already like the medadness of this. His six feet is already absurd the concept, right, So now let's just measure it with other absurd things. We got roughly three clarinets, okay.
Speaker 1: M hm oh, one trombone if the slide is extended.
Speaker 2: Which is a very important caveat one flagpole but come on, now, that doesn't even make sense. What kind of flagpole one in the in the a school yard has way longer than six feet, taller than six feet? What are we talking like a color guard flagpole very unclear? Or one marimba, Oh, of course marimba, the marimba system and marimba's length, yes, okay, and then of course three trumpets.
Speaker 1: And then they've got one joke that might give you a chuckle. They say six feet is also the distance one trumpet player, leaving room for ego.
Speaker 2: That's funny. Yeah, trumpet players notoriously into themselves is I don't know about this. I don't know man Miles Davis was, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But also any musician at that level, no matter what they play, is going to be like that. Right.
Speaker 2: I've met some particularly cocky marimba players in my day.
Speaker 1: Really. Oh yeah, there's just something snooty about them.
Speaker 2: The worst.
Speaker 1: I will say, Okay, this is not a personality stereotype, but I will say, you've spent time in Nashville too. There is an aura about pedal steel players because it's yeah, especially the old timers. Yeah, they got a specific instrument that can be difficult to learn. And when you see Nashville is rife with beautiful music. When you see a banding together to play in Nashville, often the pedal steel guy kind of shows up at the last minute, does his bit and ghost because he's going to play for another band.
Speaker 2: Very true. It's a very hot commodity, the pedal steel player. Because to your point, Bent, it's not something that your average musician can just pick up from scratch. It definitely requires a certain set of skills. And why don't one for this last one bring it home to a flyer from our very own Explored Georgia organization. He's encouraging, you know, finding the outdoors here in the beautiful state of Georgia, which is in fact quite beautiful this time of year. Let's explore Georgia's safely once again social distancing. Let's stay six feet apart aka one deer's length. Fun fact, the white tailed deer is the official mammal of the state of Georgia.
Speaker 1: Beautiful. I've got to shut out one more please. It's from our friends at Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: At the State of Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Yes, for ten years, Wisconsin has recycled three hundred and twenty five million pounds of electronics. That's the combined weight of the Eiffel Tower, ten blue whales, the Brooklyn Bridge, and five Statues of Liberty. They could have just used kilograms.
Speaker 2: They could have just said a ton, and if they wanted to be metric about it, they could have said a metric ton.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, one metric ton is a thousand kilograms.
Speaker 2: God, it makes sense. Whole numbers, guys, whole numbers, and.
Speaker 1: Everybody else just calls it a ton. But here in the US we call it a metric ton because.
Speaker 2: USA weird man, yeah weird. Still still can't quite wrap my head around it, but maybe it's not for us to understand. But Ben, thank you for this incredible research on this topic. I think we shed a lot of light on it, and as much as we made it even.
Speaker 1: Murkier, big big things of course, to our super producer mister Max Williams, his biological bro Alex Williams, who composed.
Speaker 2: This track true, Chris Frasciotis and he's Jeff cot Here in spirit, Jonathan Strickland, the quiz or a j Bahamas, Jacob's the Puzzler.
Speaker 1: Rachel Big Spinach, Lance, the Rude Dudes, a ridiculous crime. We shouted out the twister just a second ago. I guess we'll do it one more time, may as well? Yeah, okay, shout out.
Speaker 2: We don't summon him Strickland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we can't say it three times.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: End the shows, the show, at the show.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next type books. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.