Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome In Episode two O seven, What's right with Nick Wright? Oh what a day to have a platform, to have a microphone. In the last twenty four hours, Pete Carroll out, Nick Saban retires, Stephen A. Smith goes scorched earth on my only sworn enemy in the media, and that dates back twenty years For me, I was a little upset I wasn't included in the list of associates and enemies on Steven A's grant last night. And now the goat head coach is gone in New England. So we will get into all of that. But first what missed the cut on today's show, Kawhi Leonard, Listen, whenever a guy shows you you can stay healthy for three months, you gotta triple down with a three or one hundred and fifty three million dollar extension. That's not in the show. Victor windbin Yama records his first career triple double. That's on the show. And some stupid tweet comparing two quarterbacks that is beneath us and beneath the show and does not need to Jesus Man. Trevor Lawrence mac Jones get out of NFL on CBS saw that their Trevor Lawrence Daniel Jones tweet did so well, so they doubled down with him Daniel Trevor Lawrence mac Jones tweet. So before we get to be and Hi, Demanse look great. Love the sweater. I I'm not gonna because of the news and because of everything, I'm not gonna get into the Aaron Rodgers thing today. The Belichick news is more noteworthy. And listen, he did exactly what we said last week we thought he would do. Who me what? Huh? No? Never uh? How could you believe it? And the and if you want to hear my full deeper thoughts on that, not to promote a different podcast on this podcast, but I joined Ethan Strauss last night for an hour on his house of Strauss's new YouTube page.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I know his substack is subscription, but I think the YouTube thing is not paywalld. I'm not sure. I'll see if Ethan can, if there is a paywall for it, if he can take it down for this episode. If you want to hear my reaction to Ethan's articles and to what Aaron said on two that, you can listen to it there. But there's actual sports news to get into. So demanse go right ahead.
Speaker 3: All right, breaking news. Legendary head coach Bill Belichick and the Patriots look like they are officially split in ways. You kind of called it this internet for like the last three or four months. What are your instant reactions and thoughts on his legacy as a whole.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he's the greatest NFL coach ever, and that's almost a universally held opinion. But I think there are some really interesting angles here and thought exercises, and that's what I want to spend the bulk of this first twenty minutes of the show.
Speaker 3: On.
Speaker 2: So I went back this morning after the news broke to Belichick's famous grand opening, grand closing press conference. And one of the fun thing with the Jets, and one of the fun things about doing this show with Demanse, and this is not a shot at all at Demanse is some of this stuff that people my age know, chapter and verse. This happened literally when Demanse was months old. And this will be kind of probably breaking news to him. But Bill Belichick in nineteen ninety nine was named the head coach of the New York Jets, and at what was supposed to be his introductory press conference, jotted down on a napkin, I resign and his introductory press conference, He's like, actually not taking the job. And I went back and then, yeah, Demonse knows nothing of this story. And the reason I went back and watched it, and the Patriots then traded for him to be their head coach and they went on. The reason I went back and watched it was because that was the last time Bill Belichick spoke representing in other than the Patriots. It's been a quarter century of him doing these press conferences in front of Patriot logos, in front of Patriot stuff as a Patriot head coach, and after today's farewell press conference, the next time he speaks will be with another team. And one part of that jumped out to me, which is during that press conference he says, listen, I'm gonna take the rest of today to spend time with my family, but tomorrow I'll do all the interviews you guys want. He's like, if you give me today and don't inundate me with it, tomorrow, I'll be as available as you want, because I know you're gonna have a lot of questions. And he's like, so that means newspaper, TV, radio, and then pause for a moment and says internet. And the assembled press laughs and they laughed because it's like, oh, talking about the Internet. You're gonna do interviews with the Internet. And it was such like a silly throwaway thing, and I was like, God, dogget man. Belichick's career with the Patriots spanned the time to wear the Internet was thought of as a throwaway whatever to where we are today. The entire growth and breadth and change of the media landscape in reference to the Internet happened while Bill Belichick coached the Patriots. So that's one hell of a run, one hell of a career. And the other thing that I thought about today was we have the greatest football coach ever in Belichick and one of the best coaches of the modern era in Pete Carroll, both being forced out essentially from their jobs within twenty four hours of each other. And the symmetries are not just that Bill Belichick succeeded Pete Carroll in New England. Pete Carroll was the last Patriots head coach before Bill Belichick. The symmetries are also what allowed those guys to become who they were was bold, unprecedented at the time, decisions regarding their quarterbacks. So when Bill Belichick took over the New England Patriots, Drew Bloodsoe, former number one overall pick who had taken the Patriots to a Super Bowl, was their quarterback. Bill Belichick had coached the Cleveland Browns intermittent success, but no great run been fired there. Coached the Patriots, they were a five win team. Bloodsoe got the biggest content, the first one hundred million dollar contract in NFL history, and then early in the one season Moe Lewis hit on the sideline, collapsed as lung and he had to go to Brady and then and then Drew Bludsoe was healthy month later, and Bill Belichick said sticking with Brady, and that decision then was the single biggest domino in the next twenty years of a dynasty. Pete Carroll was a head coach of the Seattle Seahawks. He had been a head coach in New England, had been fired, had not succeeded, got the Seahawks job. They went out and signed Matt Flynn to a massive off season contract. They drafted Russell Wilson in the third round, and Pete Carroll, staying true to his mantra of we compete every day at training camp, said third round, rookie has the job. He gives us the better option. And that then led to that Seahawks' mini dynasty or run. And then what happened to Bill The marriage with the quarterback fell apart. He didn't have the right answers after and it led to his ouster. And what happened with Pete The marriage with the quarterback fell apart. He didn't have the right answers and it led to his ouster. And I find the symmetry of those things very interesting because it is such a.
Speaker 3: Good Are you in any way coaches?
Speaker 2: No, So that's not what I'm saying. I know some people will say that what I'm saying is this, but allowed Belichick to be Belichick was courage in his convictions. I do not care what the outside world believes. I think this is the right choice. It might frustrate my bosses, it might be unpopular, but I Am going to stay true to what I believe is best and plow ahead. That was the key moment for he and Carol when at that moment in time when Carol went to Wilson, when Bill stuck with Tom Brady, not only were they not Hall of Fame coaches, not only were they not champions, they had not succeeded. They had both been fired at their first job. They both had intermittent at best results at this job, and they were probably on their last opportunities to be head coaches in the NFL. And they said, bleep it, I'm doing what not the easy thing, the tough thing. Everyone expects me to go with the quarterback we signed to the massive deal. No one expects me to go with the unproven rookie or first year or second year guy, and Brady I believe in it. That's what opened the door to having success available what made so that is a lesson for everybody. It's a lesson for everyone that if you really believe in something, go with it, trust your instincts and sink or swim on that. Don't fail because you didn't go with what you believed in. But the second lesson is this, no matter how great you are, man, it takes help. Everything in life is collaborative. Everything in life you are going to succeed more if you have a great partner, if you have a great either number two or one A or whatever it is. And the last and that's so the I'm not saying Brady made Belichick or Belichick made Brady. I truly believe they made each other. That they are the sum is greater than the individual parts one hundred percent. And then the last lesson for both of these guys is when you have that success, don't let ego and both be the reason it ends earlier than it's supposed to. And I think with Pete, Carroll and Russ it was more Russ's Eagles egos than Pete. I think with Tom and Bill it was more Bill's ego than Tom. But the fact of the matter is, and even though Tom winn and won that Super Bowl, it didn't this. It was not the ending anybody exactly wanted. And for Bill it ended up being the end of his run. For Pete it being the end of his run. And so there are go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, you're saying that they're done.
Speaker 2: They're done with those teams exactly, Yeah, and so, and we'll talk about where Bill could go in a moment, but it is those are all real big macro life stuff, right. And Belichick's career, if you're a football fan, spans so much.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: He figured out as a defensive coordinator how to slow down the best offense of an era when he was with the Giants and shut down the Bills in that Super Bowl the Giants had no business winning. He figured out defensively how to slow down the greatest show on turf, how to slow down mcveigh's rams, how to slow down Andy Reid Mahomes Chiefs. He figured these things out defensively unlike anybody we've ever seen. And then offensively, how many reinventions did they have? The we're gonna be a run oriented quarterback don't make mistakes, lean on the defense team. In the early two thousands, we are going to have the highest scoring, highest flying offense in the history of football with Randy Moss. In the late two thousand oughts, we are going to use the numbers against the defense by having two dual threat tight ends like no team has ever had. In the early twenty tens, with Gronk and Hernandez, we are going to make the slot receiver a deadly weapon in way nobody has. With Welker Edelman a mindola finding new ways, finding different things. When the rest of the world is zigging or zagging, we are going not necessarily going to zig, but we are going to figure out what opportunities their zags allow for. Oh, everyone's worried about the pass, so they are putting more small, fast people on the field instead of trying to out small out fast them. Should we Maybe then we'll be the team that has more big people on the field and we'll try to beat them up. It's just a brilliant career that kind of had a snding because yet didn't make it work at the end with your partner. And that, by the way, is the story of basically every band that's ever existed at a high level. It's the story of so many television shows in MySpace where it's like, man, you guys had a great thing. What happened? Well, who gets the credit, who gets the most money, who gets to be on the front of the poster or all those things. That's what happens. And no matter how great you are, and maybe the greater you are, you can fall prey to it. Now, I will say this, there is not You cannot write the Belichick story without acknowledging that the cheating scandals are a real piece of it. They just are, and it's not the biggest piece of it. But Belichick being more than slapped on the wrist multiple times throughout his career in New England is part of his legacy. Is it enough to knock him out of the goat conversation? No?
Speaker 3: No, he cheated multiple times. Well I knew about this.
Speaker 2: So spygate was the real one beforehand. Spygate of surreptitiously recording your opponent, and that got him twice. That got him once early in the run, and then happened again late in the run. Recently, when he was taping the Bengals reportedly, and they got in trouble for it. The flight gate got laid at the feet of Brady. Then there was also a bunch of other hm, it doesn't feel right, which was the always saying their coach to quarterback communication system would go out randomly, but at the key moments of football games, when they were playing in Gillette and stuff that that. Now that's a different bucket. That's more speculation then we can prove it. But it was just enough there where you're like, hmmm, so that's a piece of it. And if we're gonna be fair to a guy, if a guy dies, you're not really supposed to talk about this stuff unless the guy was just like an evil bad guy. The day after retiring or stepping away from a team's different. He's not dead, he's gonna go get another job. And we can tell the full true on a story of it. And so that combined with the fact that at the end the modern offense seemed to pass him by and at the end he seemed to only want to hire his sons or friends, that is a piece of the legacy. And if and when someone were to approach his h his success, then can that be a goat tiebreaker. Sure, yeah, if the if, for instance, Andy Reid wins this year's Super Bowl and another one in two years, and then it's like, Okay, he's Belichick's first or right now second in all time wins, but Read is fourth. Belichick went to nine one six. Andy, by the math that I'm doing right there would be went to six one four, but did it without ever losing draft picks for cheating and had high levels of success with non Hall of Fame quarterbacks and then a dynasty with a Hall of Fame quarterback. Then that can be part of the discussion. But right now he's so far far past the field in the coach goat stuff that this stuff is not enough to drag him down. But it is part of the story, and it is a fascinating career. It is a one of a kind career, and it all started with him believing in himself. I believe this is right, and I am willing to expend real capital with my boss, with the fans, with the media because I think on the other side it will be the right decision and I have massive respect for that. And then at the end, ego and stuff gets in the way a bit and It's not that I disrespect for that, but it is a good lesson for all of us that And you know, if you guys think I'm talking about my personal or professional life, I of course am. I am worried than the next couple of years, Demons, The more and more he gets recognized at you know, at Equinox and things like that, is going to come to me and be like, listen, man, I need a bigger title on the podcast and more money or I'm breaking this thing up. And so I just there. I mean, yeah, So if you're thinking that I am you know what I mean, I'm projecting a bit. Yeah, maybe I am? All right, So demonse, what are the follow up questions here?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So with everything being said, uh, do you think with him, with Belichick and Pete Carroll being the two oldest coaches in the NFL, don't you think it's more likely that they walk away then come back and continue to coach.
Speaker 2: Pete Carroll? Yes, Belichick. No, Belichick wants Shula's record and he needs, you know, fifteen wins for the record, and so no, I do not think he's walking away, which then leads us to where should he go? Right? Right? And my answer to that question is, I think wherever he's going, the job is not open yet. Some of these playoff teams are gonna fire their coach. They just are happened.
Speaker 3: Every year McCarthy after Jordan Love goes out there and slings it on him.
Speaker 2: So if the Cowboys lose this weekend, yes, that is where Belichick should go. McCarthy will be fired for that, and that is the perfect spot. We've talked about this on a month on the podcast ever since Nora Princiatti first brought it up on The Ringer, And people might wonder why I keep referencing that. I think it's important in our business. If somebody says something that is way out of left field and then all of a sudden and they're the only one saying it, and then all of a sudden it starts to gain momentum wherever it is. I think they deserve, if you know, credit for being the first person to throw it out there. Nobody was talking about that. She mentioned it a month ago, and it's nestled inside my brain is like, Oh, that's fascinating. You have the talent, you have the quarterback, you have the offensive weapons, you have all this other talent on defense. You could get that record in two years and you could maybe win a Super Bowl and be like, ah, could Bill work for Jerry A It wouldn't be long term be his mentor. Bill Parcells worked for Jerry and so yeah. And by the way, that's another one when I'm talking about you collaborate, you come together, it's great. Then egos get in the way. Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson they won two super Bowls, were amazing, it was great, and then egos and everything it blows up. I mean, it's a story of a lot of a lot of teams, a lot of a lot of there's a lot of examples of that. I don't think though, that the Cowboys are gonna lose in round one. I'm not certain that McCarthy would get fired for losing in round two. I'm pretty damn confident he wouldn't get fired for losing in round three. But that is the job Bill should hold out hope for. Do you know what I'm gonna say? The other one is a team.
Speaker 3: I know exactly what you're gonna say, and it's completely you're gonna You're gonna say, You're gonna yes, Hey, you're gonna say Philly in Sirianni.
Speaker 2: I am, and it's not fueled by hate. It is the to me totally sober logical analysis of I am not saying Sirianni should be fired if they lose to Baker in round one. I am saying this, if Bill Belichick would take the job, you fight flatly, flatly and for Eagle, and I don't even think Egle fans.
Speaker 3: Would you would you say the same? Wait? Wouldn't you say the same thing about McCarthy? Hey, even if they win in round one, round two, gets fired at what's the job?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if McCarthy loses at home in round one or two, yes, I don't think you. I think it's a weird look to fire him. If he makes the first conference championship game the teams made in almost thirty years, you know what I mean? Or if they make the super Bowl, you can't fire him. But yeah, but the distinction between McCarthy and Sirianni or Bellichick, McCarthy, Sirianni and Belichick is this, Let's just say Belichick's already out. Let's say Sirianni were fired today, McCarthy were fired today. Belichick is a definitively getting a job as a head coach somewhere. McCarthy is probably getting a job as a head coach three straight twelve win seasons. If Nick Sirianni gets fired, what job is he being offered? Just tell me it's not a head coaching job, I promise. And no, No, it's just and so maybe an offensive coordinator. The Panthers don't have their new head coach. They don't have one yet. They have the interim coach. Am I tripping? What?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think you're probably You're probably right. The Panthers, I'm sure, would like their jobs at Nick Sirianni.
Speaker 2: No, they would not. Okay, he's not gonna if you were fired, he's not gonna his next jobs. I'm gonna be a head coach. I'm just telling you.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: If I were Belichick, I would wait and see what happens in those spots. Uh the other playoff? Now, I'll give you one more that. Bruce Ard mentioned that if I were Belichick, I would be interested in what if the Steelers beat Buffalo? Are we one hundred percent certain Sean McDermott's safe one if Buffalo loses his ten point favorite at home to Mason Rudolph after having to fight and claude to get into the playoffs. I'm not so if this is like if I'm Belichick, I am waiting and seeing because some of these jobs are going to be open. They just are, and so I would I would be very I would not go to Atlanta or Washington. I just wouldn't. Now, I'd love to go to Chicago, but Chicago's keeping eber Flus for reasons I don't understand. All right, So go ahead, you.
Speaker 3: Do you think the Pats are gonna get anything in return for Belichick? Like, how does that eat work? Okay?
Speaker 2: No, So if they were to try to trade him, they could, but that's not what's happening here. So they are gonna have to start over. And everybody thinks they're gonna get Verbel. If I'm Verbel, I don't want that job. I understand there's history there. He won the Super Bowls there. I get all that. That team stinks, that team stinks is in it. And here's the thing about looking at divisions. If I'm looking for a head coaching job, I don't need to be in a division like the NFC South, where there's not any great team but I don't want to be in a division where there's clearly two. So like the AFC West is not those are not. The Chargers job is not a bad job. People are like, ah, you gotta compete with Mahomes. Yeah, but you that's the only one in the division you gotta compete with. So I would be more nervous about, like going to the NFC West right is take Seattle's job, Like, God, dog it, I gotta compete with Shanahan and McVeigh. I gotta compete with the Niners and AFC East. You feel like, gosh darning, I gotta compete with the Bills and the Dolphins. That's a tough you know, for whoever comes into New England the AFC North, you feel like you gotta compete with four teams and so uh, if you're brable, I wouldn't want that gig. And here is the other interesting thing. Did Robert Kraft just make the same mistake with head coach that Bill Belichick made withquarterback? I moved on from the goat without having a clear plan on how I'm replacing it. It's on the board. Let's see if they get fable. And I know Drod Mao's there. We'll see if that were to work, he'd be a rookie head coach. I do know this that the Patriots are now the Tennessee Titans in the sports talk world. The Patriots are now the let me find another, the Atlanta Falcons. They're just not on the list of relevant teams there. They are a team that used to be great but now has no star power and doesn't have the coach, which was the reason we cared about them, Like they are out in the willed feness of just the others. And I don't know again, like that shouldn't impact craft or any of that, But I'm talking about from a list of teams that it's like, oh man, they're talked about on shows like mine all the time. The Patriots are now at the bottom of the list. They are as irrelevant of a team as there is now. We'll see if they draft the right quarterbacks, see if they get the right coach, But for the time being, that's where they're at. Okay, So that's where you know. I think that was really good. Thirty minutes on Belichick on life on Demonsday's ego one day being the downfall of the What's Right podcast. Uh, we have a gambling show. Thank you. I appreciate that, pal. We have a gambling show to do, and it is now time to revisit our pre se and futures. The knife has been twisted fully. I'll explain what I mean next What's Right? Welcome back to What's Right in the Great Episode two O seven. This episode is brought to you by US Bank. Winter can be a drag. Thankfully, we've got sports that gus through the early part of the year and if you ask me, nothing goes together quite like food and sports. Obviously, especially this time of year. Got NFL Playoffs, Pro hoops, and I could be plopped down on my couch until the weather gets warm again. The US Bank Altitude Go Visa signature card provides the perfect way to earn rewards whether you're watching your team with other fans at a local restaurant or in the comfort of your living room. Earn four times points when you dine out or have food delivered. Maybe order a pizza and watch the big game on that big screen TV of yours. Earn two times points at grocery stores, which is great if you're making nachos at home and if you're willing to bring the elements. Even getting to the game can be rewarding. You'll learn two times points at gas stations and ev charging stations. Go to usbank dot com slash altitude go to learn more about how you can earn twenty thousand bonus points worth two hundred bucks if you spend one thousand dollars in the first ninety days of opening your account. Score big with the US Bank Altitude Go visa signature card. Visit usbank dot com slash altitude go to apply and live every day your way. Limited time offer to the credit or issue of this card is US Bank National Association pursuing to a license from VCUSA, Incorporated. Some restrictions may apply, all right. Before we get to the gambling recap, a couple final Belichick points that I forgot to bring up. Demon's one of your follow ups. You were gonna ask, was am I worried about Andy Reid? Then you know the older coaches are retiring, so Andy Reid I do not believe is retiring anytime soon. Florio keeps throwing out there Reid retire after this season. That's another place that if I were Bill, I'd want to wait and see, like, Okay, maybe it's not. I don't see it at all, but I'm saying it's out there. I don't see it at all. But yeah, if you're Belichick and you're like, yeah, i'll go coach Patrick Mahomes offense, pretty well, I'll go the And then here's the other thing. Is Gabe here, our resident Jets fan Patriot hater who today he's so happy about. And I'm not trying to bring Gabe down, but I do want some context here. So Bill Belichick in the last three years went, I want to make sure I have this math, right, Yeah, I do. He went twenty two and twenty nine, Is that right? Yeah, twenty two and twenty nine, with one playoff appearance, and the Patriots said, Nope, don't care that you've won six Super Bowls. That's not good enough. You're out here. Mike Vrabel, who just got fired. In the last three years, Mike Vrabel went nineteen twenty five, went twenty five and twenty six with one playoff appearance, and the Tennessee Titans said, don't care, you've been to a conference championship game. Don't care we traded away our best player. You're out here, Pete Carroll. The last three years went also twenty five and twenty six with one playoff appearance, and the Seattle Seahawks said, don't care, you want a super Bowl here went to another one. You're out here, big. Bob Salah over the last three years has gone eighteen and thirty three, has won a two total divisional games, and the New York Jets are like, come on back, Bobby, you got unfinished business here. So all these Jets fans being like, oh, we put bella check out. His final game was losing us. Every other team that has had massively more success with massively more established coaches are like, you're out. Meanwhile, Bobby Salah can sit there and just look angry on the sideline and confused, and the Jets are like, you know what, he hasn't had enough time. So andie, I'm not here. Listen, I'm not here for Jet fans victory laps today. I'm just not all right. So sorry, Gabe had to do it too. You didn't really have to, but wanted to, all right, So before the year, we do a gambling show and we'll get to my actual bets that I make in real life. The Gabe just come in. Does Gabe want your microphone?
Speaker 3: Yeah, gab. Gabe gave me the finger, but I think he was trying to give it to me to then give you. Oh, he's in here taking I don't okay, Now, I don't want to derail the podcast. I want you to talk about gambling. I just give us thirty seconds of enjoyment. That's all we want.
Speaker 2: I gave you thirty minutes, and then I had to bring you back down to earth. Jets fans, I'm just letting you know. I'm sorry, all right. So before the year, I look at all the possible futures and I give my lean on them, and then I make my actual bets on the ones I had the most conviction on, and I didn't do great on the future's bets I made. We'll get to those in a moment. But what makes it more painful is how perfectly I did on the bets I didn't make. And I have the document, so I am going to go through it. Cardinals total four and a half. This bet is an under, but it feels too square to make underhit Bill's ten and a half. What I wrote this is the perfect line. Well, they had ten wins going into the final game of the year, and they had a second half comeback to win it, so it was the perfect line. Broncos under eight and a half feels like an under, but maybe there's Sean Payton magic. There was Sean Payton magic, and it wasn't under. Lions nine and a half. I said, this line's exactly right, so I was off on that, but I didn't bet it. Texan six and a half. This is what I wrote. I like the under, but maybe Demico Ryans does something great, so I didn't bet it. My head was correct. Raiders six and a half. This is what I wrote. The over is the bet, but we won't ever bet on Josh McDaniels and Jimmy G. The over hit because they fired McDaniels and bench Jimmy G. So I got it exactly right and so all right. Next I wrote Chargers nine and a half, perfect line. I was wrong on that. It wasn't perfect line. Vikings eight and a half. I wrote, this is the exact right number. Saints nine and a half. Love the under, but a little too much juice on it. At minus one forty they were finished with nine wins. Okay. I then called the Bucks, Titans, and Commanders all stay aways. Then there was this category, and this is the one that is real pain, true true pain. The category was would bet but there's a better way to make this bet. And this is where I outsmarted myself. Okay, Steelers eight and a half over. I wrote, love it, but there's a better bet. We'll get to what that was in a moment. Dolphins nine and a half over, love it, but there's a better bet. The Steelers won ten, the Dolphins won eleven, Packers seven and a half over. Love it, but there's a better way to make this bet. The Packers won nine games or ten, Falcons oh, eight and a half over, there's a better bet here that one they missed on the final day of the season, and Jets nine and a half under. We love this bet. We love this bet, but there's a better bet. Is what I wrote on these. Okay, So that was five bets that I went four and one on that I didn't make because I thought I had better versions of them, and then spoiler alert on the better versions of them. Instead of going four and one, I went one and four, just the bleeping worst. Now two our actual wagers, Demonse.
Speaker 3: And we'll do a lot of the red.
Speaker 2: And we'll do the math here.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, all right, so we got wind totals where we start off win totals.
Speaker 2: You had Bears me congrats on being the Bob solav picks. All right, Gabe, that's enough out of you. But go ahead.
Speaker 3: You had Bears under seven and a half at plus one hundred. That one cashed. That go through the whole.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do the math here, No, go one by one. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: You got Chicago they went seven and ten. Oh no, sorry, you got the Cowboys over nine and a half at minus one sixty two.
Speaker 2: That also, no, that's not it though, look look at the screen. Though it was the Dallas over I changed that, remember to Dallas over ten and a half at the which was the better number, and I won that one. So now okay, we are plus all right, okay, god dog go ahead. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, Jaggs over ten and a half plus one forty five.
Speaker 2: So that one, that one I actually feel a little bit better on because the Jags, what I wrote in the doc was Jags over nine and a half at minus one forty four. Let's get a better number and go Jags over ten and a half at plus one forty five, they were eight and three. Trevor got hurt and it derailed me. But so I lost money there. All right?
Speaker 3: Next, Kansas City over eleven and a half. I would have thought that would have been good, I.
Speaker 2: Said, I wrote locked. Every year they finished eleven and six, missed it by a half game. Yeah, so go all right.
Speaker 3: Next, you got Patriots over seven and a half at plus one sixteen yep.
Speaker 2: So I don't know why what I was thinking there, And I mean I do know what I was thinking, which was last year they won seven and they had the worst quarterback play in the league. Why would they not win more? That was a terrible bet. But what are you gonna do? Next?
Speaker 3: You got Eagles under eleven and a half at minus one twenty eight. You said we love.
Speaker 2: Winter winter chicken dinner. Teams started ten and one and somehow hit the winner. Give me that one I deserve. That's snack insane, by the way.
Speaker 3: But forty nine ers, forty nine ers under ten and a half at plus one thirty two, you just said we're fadie nine ers because they have rock party yep.
Speaker 2: And they ended up winning twelve games, So that one didn't work out, well, go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, you got Seahawks over eight and a half at minus one forty two.
Speaker 2: Okay. So look, I just did all the math based on what I said before the year was I was putting a thousand bucks all on each of these. So the plus money ones, you bet a thousand to win whatever the plus money is, and the minus money ones, like if it's minus one twenty eight, I bet twelve eighty to one one thousand, so on the win totals over unders, believe it or not. Thanks to the sharp you know, plus minus stuff, I won seven hundred and ten bucks, okay, which then had I just gone with my good bet would bet situation there, I would have then had one two three four plus four thousand minus thirteen twenty.
Speaker 3: Or had you believed in Brock, I'd be up. I'd be up.
Speaker 2: Thirty shut up, shut up, I'd be up thirty four hundred had I just done the wood bet. Instead, I did these truly disastrous division winner bets. And let's go through them, because they they absolutely obliterated the chest.
Speaker 3: You know, they just obliterated the chat saying you also you also have the you probably also have the winning lottery ticket number, but you just haven't placed it yet.
Speaker 2: I did check the archives. I did that. This is all on video. Go back and check the preseason gambling show. I said all this stuff, and now we're about to see a ton of red. Just give me the division winner bets.
Speaker 3: So division winner bets, you got Miami.
Speaker 2: Let me, let me, let me, let me take over here for a moment. These are all losers, okay, Miami plus two ninety. At one point they were minus six hundred, and then they totally collapsed. Green Bay plus three point fifty. I don't think that was a terrible bet. I think it was decent value. They finished second lines better than I thought they were gonna. Pittsburgh plus four seventy is a bad bet. Green Bearer Baltimore's better. I thought Seattle plus thirty that was a bad bet. Atlanta plus two ten, I mean they were alive on the final day of the regular season. They could win the division on the final day of the regular season. That wasn't a terrible bet, but it didn't work. And then the one that really really brutalized me, the Jags in Kansas City at plus one fifty. By the way, Miami was plus two ninety, green Bay was plus three fifty. Pittsburgh was plus four seventy. So at I just won the Miami bet, which I should have. It would have taken care of three of these other ones. Seattle was plus two thirty, Atlanta was plus two ten, and then Jags Kansas City. I didn't need the Jags to not full blown collapse, and that was, if you remember, a two unit bet at plus one fifty six. And then Pittsburgh Miami Green Bay was a quarter unit bet at ninety nine to one. So that's one, two, three, four, five six seven for Jags. Case Jesus seventy two fifty on Division winter bets. Sweet Christ, all right.
Speaker 3: You've got after Jas bets in here in totality and all read.
Speaker 2: I know the Jags cost me all of it, all of it. There's I'll do the math in a minute, but I'm gonna prove it to you. The Jags losing that final game of the year, how much it cost me is what will I'll show you. But right now, now, after the Division winter bets, I'm stuck sixty five hundred and forty dollars on my preseason bets. And I make these bets by the way this is there's real money out the door. Now to the make miss playoffs bets.
Speaker 3: All right, you got Kansas City, Dallas, and Jacksonville to all make it at plus one sixty.
Speaker 2: Jacksonville will and that was another two unit bet. That was another two unit bet. Okay. And again Kansas City locked with weeks to goo, Dallas locked with weeks ago. Jacksonville was eight and three and fell apart. So that's minus two thousand, all right, the Jets to miss, thank Christ finally a winner at plus one ten. Should have put a one hundred units on it. It's just so maddening. Uh And then this last one Cleveland Jets and Detroit to miss. Obviously I went only one for three, but that was only a quarter unit, so that is uh so this is so that is that cost me two fifty. So now, so I finished the year with this minus seventy six ninety. I though, want to show you what I would have finished if the Jags had won the final game of the year. If the Jags had won the final So Monzi, just remember the number seventy six ninety. It's well, it's easy. If the Jags had won the final game of the year they would have made the playoffs, which would have meant instead of losing two thousand, I would have won thirty two hundred on that two unit bet.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay?
Speaker 2: So that is so? That is a fifty two hundred dollars swing on just that bet. And then the Jags Chiefs parlay Jags to make the playoffs instead of Jags and Chiefs both to win the division. Pardon me, instead of losing two thousand, I would have won plus one fifty six. So I would have won three thousand one twenty so right? Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Thirty one to twenty so plus? So how much did I say I lost demons on the year seventy six ninety seventy six ninety Instead I would have been up twenty six thirty. So when I say that that game was a swing, that game represented the Jags Titans game when Trevor reached for the goal line and wasn't, in short, represented a swing of how much that one game? I can't read twenty dollars? Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I think you should probably start listening to your instincts like Belichick and Pete Carroll.
Speaker 2: My instincts, My instincts were bet the Jags. I didn't know Trevor was gonna get hurt all right. Last thing though, because despite all of it, still sneaky alive for a huge year. I just need to get the super Bowl right. Oh boy, those aren't green red, which means they're both alive. I got the two seed in the three seeds Kansas City Dallas to make the super Bowl at plus thirty fifty and Kancity defeat Dallas in the super Bowl at fifty to one. So if we get at Kans City Dallas super Bowl on the year, I win just over twenty three. And if we get Kancity beating Dallas on the year, I win just over eighty three. So we're not dead yet. And the Jags killed me and be trying to outsmart Vegas killed me. That's the reality of it. And we're accountable on this show. We're not gonna be out here be in some tout that's acting like we every year we have winning years. This was a tough one. I don't need this recap screen on the screen. Let's move on to last week, which was the final week of the year, my chance to get at five hundred, and we went two and three.
Speaker 3: God dogg it.
Speaker 2: This was frustrating.
Speaker 3: YEP got Cleveland seven to.
Speaker 2: New England minus one and a half total loser, Detroit minus three and a half. Great bet the Jet the Giants plus five and a half they won out right and Miami, how they didn't cover three? They win the whole game super Punk Return. But that's okay. Now we get to our actual wild card picks. Demons. I'm gonna tell you right now. The first two I don't feel great about, but I take every game. My dream of going thirteen and zero in the playoffs stays alive, at least until the game's kickoff. The first two I don't feel great about. Give me the first one.
Speaker 3: Your first one's Cleveland minus two and a half at Houston.
Speaker 2: Okay, I really don't like taking a road favorite, and I really don't like going with the worst quarterback. So you might say, why would I not take Houston. I do not think Houston's front is going to be able to block Cleveland's front, and Houston, if you can, because of their wide receiver injuries. If you can take away Nico Collins and I think Jim Schwartz's defense is going to be able to you can make that offense grind to a halt. So you have a Cleveland team that is rested because they sat every one of importance in Week eighteen against a Houston team coming off a massive emotional win that they maybe got a little lucky on at the end. I don't love it, but I'll take Cleveland minus two and a half in round one at Houston, and so that that's where I'm at on that. Demond's the next one, and I'll tell you why I don't feel great about the next one.
Speaker 3: Kansas City minus four and a half versus Miami.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's why I don't love this one, because I'm just getting a terrible number. This line opened at one and a half, instantly got bet up to two and a half three, and now as the weather reports have come out throughout the week and more Miami injury reports, the line has creeped all the way to four and a half. So as the show makes fun of me for though while I don't always bet on the Chiefs, if I bet a Chiefs game, it is always on the Chiefs. I never go against them in these spots. I also think Miami is gonna be too cold to play football. I don't think they're prepared for these elements, and I think the elements are gonna play a major factor in a number of games this weekend. I think the Chiefs resting last week is super helpful. Miami's obviously playing it's worst football of the year. Mahomes is, without exaggeration, the greatest statistical playoff quarterback of all time. He is first all time in winning percentage, completion percentage, yards per game, passer rating, touchdown interception ratio. I think Miami is while the Chiefs offense is not great. Miami's defense is so banged up. I think the Chiefs offense could look good against them. And I don't love swallowing the full four and a half points, but I will my Kansas City minus four and a half against Miami, and that's they're the home team, they're the better team, they're playing better as of late.
Speaker 3: Next you've got Pittsburgh plus ten at Buffalo. F good about that one. It's just.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just way too many points for what's gonna be a wind snowstorm. I mean, it's go there's gonna be a foot of snow, there's gonna be massive wins. It's just too many points for a game played in those conditions, and so I Buffalo blow them out. No, No, I mean I think more likely. It's like thirteen to six is more likely, and not six because of two field goals, six because of a touchdown by Pittsburgh and a missed extra point. Like I mean, these conditions are going to be brutal, but Buffalo oddly is not as good as you would expect in terrible conditions given where they play. Also, we know Tomlin as an underdog is unbelievable. Josh Allen hasn't covered seven straight games as a double digit favorite, and Josh Allen is always over Josh Allen's two and six against the spread in his playoff career. He's always overvalued come the postseason. I'm getting the better coach, I think, And you can't say the better defense because TJ. Watts out for the game. But I'm getting the better coach and a team that wants to run the ball in these terrible conditions. I will take the ten points next.
Speaker 3: Dallas minus seven and a half versus Green Bay. I gotta tell you this one's kind of disrespectful. But what's disrespectful? God? Jordan Love on Green Bay. He's good.
Speaker 2: I like Jordan Love, Yeah, but he's The Cowboys are gonna score thirty eight points. So can Jordan Love in his first playoff start ever break thirty. That's what he's gonna need just to cover because the Cowboys are scoring thirty eight points in this game. The Cowboys offense at home against that brutal Green Bay defense and Joe Barry coordinating it no chance. So the Cowboys are gonna move the ball at will. A bit of a revenge spot Mike McCarthy, the team that fired him, Dak chip on his shoulder that he at least should be in the MVP conversation instead of it just being handed to Lamar. All those things, the Cowboys getting the exact draw that they want. This is my second favorite bet of the weekend. The first three games of the six games this weekend, I am least confident in Cleveland minus two and a half against Houston. I am next least confident Pittsburgh plus ten at Buffalo, and the I am next as far as you know, confidence level kensity minus four and a half against Miami. The last three games are the three games I like the most. Dallas minus seven and a half against Green Bay is my second favorite bet of the weekend. I understand the Cowboys are three and twelve against the spread in the playoffs in their last fifteen games.
Speaker 3: And thirty seven and a half. I don't know if you had already known that.
Speaker 2: But no, no, no, no, it's not. There's no chance that it is. That's got to be at plus a bunch of money.
Speaker 3: Oh, Cowboys the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Cowboys. No, the Cowboys scoring over thirty seven and a half points is plus two sixty five? Is what they is? What it is? Oh, so the Cowboys team total is plus two over if I'm right. What he's saying is, if I'm right, I can get them plus two six and five on that. My guess is the Cowboys actual projected total for the game is twenty nine and a half, thirty and a half. That's that would be my I mean, I can look, I don't have to guess. I can just look or go ahead and just Daniel just put it in the dock for us so we can see what their actual team total is. Thirty and a half. Yeah, yeah, so that makes sense, all right, Demand the next one because this is my favorite bet of the weekend.
Speaker 3: You got the Rams plus three at Detroit. Gonna be a good game, revenge game.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. Who's got the better coach the Rams. Who has the better quarterback the Rams? Who has the better defense the Rams now that Laport is out. Who has the better skill position guys the Rams? Aside from offensive line? What is one edge the Lions have They don't have one. Wrong team's favored the Rams right now. I yeah, no, of course, I mean that is, and that is an obvious edge, But you don't get the home field edge of like, oh, and now the Rams got to play in the elements. It's a Dome team, obviously. I think that the Rams right now. I think the Rams are the fifth best team in the NFL right now. The only teams I would have ahead of the Rams are the Chiefs, Cowboys, Ravens, and Niners. I think the Rams right now are better than Buffalo. They are just as hot as Buffalo. By the way, They've won seven of eight. Their one loss was an overtime loss to Baltimore. The team's healthy and playing great. So I love the Rams in this spot, all right. So that's my favorite bet of the weekend. That my second favorite bet is the Cowboys minus seven and a half. And then number three is this go ahead to Monsey Tampa.
Speaker 3: This spiteful bets. What we're gonna call it Tampa Bay plus three versus Philly.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, I don't like the how Tampa looked in Week eighteen, and Baker's clearly hurt, so that's not good. But Philly is right now this moment. Philly's a bottom five team in the NFL. They have the worst defense of any playoff team. Their quarterback is banged up and not playing well, their coach doesn't know what he's doing, and both of their star wide receivers are hurt. Like what what does Philly do well right now? And be like the tush push, Well, you gotta get to third and short or fourth and short. For that the defense can't stop anyone. Patricia un't know what he's doing, Like I Tampa now, because Tampa's far from a great team, they're barely even a good team, and their quarterback's hurt. You're nervous about this spot. But Tampa plus three come on, And so I love Tampa. I shouldn't say love. I really like Tampa in this spot, but the Rams plus three, Dallas minus seven and a half, Tampa plus three are my three favorite bets. Less confident in Pittsburgh plus ten, Kansas City minus four and a half, and Cleveland minus two and a half. And my dream of going six or thirteen to zero in the playoffs. You know it starts this weekend, all right? What's the offer?
Speaker 3: All right? So it's gonna be super cold in Kansas City for that game. So we're gonna check out the running back who runs harder than anybody in the league, Isaiah Pacheco one hundred plus rushing yards at plus three seventy. You taken it.
Speaker 2: Plus three seventy makes it somewhat attractive, will he Andy doesn't love sticking to the run, and so it's it's worth a little flyer at plus three seventy.
Speaker 3: I certainly like heavy than they have any other time throughout this year. I mean, I feel like they're they're not run heavy right now. I feel like they keep it balanced. No, but they are going to be running more in this game. I would think, you would imagine.
Speaker 2: I would think the flip side of that is in Miami's pass rush is so decimated. I'll tell you who's with blind bet every game of the playoffs Mahomes rushing total, Mahomes rushing overs every game. I'm gonna bet it. Mahomes is as effective of a scrambling quarterback, not punishing like Josh Allen or elusive like Lamar, but as far as I can get the yardage I need as any quarterback in the league. And he doesn't do it much in the regular season because he's trying to stay healthy. In these playoffs, he's gonna be running Mahomes rushing overs. I love maybe a little taste on Pacheco there as well. All Right, quick break, demonse, right back, come back and answer listener questions. That's next, What's right? All right, welcome back in What's Right with Nick? Right demonse. Let's get through some of the listener questions from the chat quickly before we move on.
Speaker 3: Scott asks, Uh, Nick, do you think like I do, that this is Mike Tomlin's last game in Pittsburgh?
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not. That's not a team that I think is gonna fire their coach if they lose in Round one. I don't think it's gonna be his last game. I think if there was any questions, he answered them at the way they ended the season.
Speaker 3: All right, Next, Michael Curtis, should Lakers go all in for someone like Levigne or stick with the current roster and make marginal moves?
Speaker 2: Well, they stick with the current roster, they're drawing dead. I don't think you have to go all in for I think you have to go partially. And I don't think you're gonna have to give up a ton for Zach Levine. Probably give up DeAngelo Ruey in a first round pick and be able to get Zach Levine. Bulls have played better without him. But yeah, the Lakers need to make a significant change, a significant change. Next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe bring the end season tournament back play a little bit harder. Class Onion twenty five said, really curious to see how beat who's.
Speaker 2: Bebe Bill Belichick?
Speaker 3: Bill? Oh yeah, Bill Belichick does on another team. Well, his coaching style work with a new organization that isn't used isn't used to his old school ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think it'll work. Listen, I think Belichick's style still works. He's just had terrible, terrible quarterback play, and I think that he's he hasn't necessarily had the best picks of offensive coordinators and he's had bad quarterback play. It's simple as that, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, Trevor Barber asked, Nick, do you do you have any poker tournaments coming up? I enjoy watching you play the pros and taking their money.
Speaker 2: Well, last time I played the pros, they took my money. I appreciate that, Trevor. I so I have an opportunity to play on Poker Go shortly after the super Bowl, but I don't know if I'm gonna be doing that or not. Uh So, I'm not sure. I hope once football is over that world opens up to me more again. I had an opportunity to go to Houston a few weeks ago, but I couldn't. There's a great tournament series, it wouldn't be on TV right now going on in Atlantic City that I would be going to. But your mother not shockingly, you know, it's been a couple months. So she's going on a nice little Caribbean vacation for the weekend while I am, you know, just at home in the cold with your baby, sister. Your I thought demonse that my mom was gonna be helping out with Deanna this weekend, so I wasn't really tripping about your your mom, your mom is going to uh locations I don't unknown in the Caribbean for her best friend's birthday. And I just assumed, I guess that she had worked out with my mom that Deanna would be with my mom. My mom's going out of town. It is wild card weekend. Deanna doesn't even have school Monday because it's Mlkday and it's just me and her. I'm like, I'm legit. I'm not gonna lie to you. De Monsey. You would have been so annoyed me. I looked in to plane tickets of either you coming here or more likely me sending her to you her first ever flight by herself. But they I couldn't get it done. I have to watch football all weekend and the Chiefs play Saturday night. Can you imagine if the Chiefs lose, which they're not going to, but if they lose, the mood I'm gonna be in Sunday it's not good. I'm nervous about this whole week.
Speaker 3: We've got to got a couple options. We got Patrushka, we got you know, we got.
Speaker 2: No no, it's just let's all on. Let's not name names. I don't like to publicly say people's names. Yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I felt weird about it. I thought about saying ice cream lady, but I didn't want to be disrespectful.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, but Trusha is but you did the right thing. Butatrushka is fine. She's a public figure, she's a social media influencer and ice cream magnate. Next door. Yeah, maybe for a day, maybe a day.
Speaker 3: Make the iPad charged.
Speaker 2: And I love Deanna, don't get me wrong. And I love spending time with my daughter.
Speaker 3: But it's when football is going on. I've been in that room when Deanna's dude, she just it's a question every ten seconds, like.
Speaker 2: It's oh my gosh, well there we go. Good luck to me. Talk to you guys on TV today at three. What's right? Hey, it's Nicker right. Thank you so much for watching. Please do us a favorite. Click subscribe. It helps my ego and Demansey's got a financial bonus riding on a number of YouTube subscrivers, so help him out. And also click the bell. I don't know what the bell does, but they tell me to tell you to click the bell. And you're audio listeners. People that have commute strives whatever it is. Subscribe to the podcast as well wherever you get the podcast, same show, just you know, just in your ears instead of through your eyes. All that check it out, Appreciate your