Speaker 1: We got a high school of y'all, and I'm nervous as hell.
Speaker 2: I'm literally day by day fighting back tears. We're about to have. Yeah, I look at Jackson and I want to cry every day. I can't believe we're here. It's insane.
Speaker 3: It all started with real talk, unfiltered, honest and straight from the heart. Since then, we've gone on to become Webby Award winning podcasters in New York Times bestselling authors.
Speaker 2: Dead Ass was more than a podcast for us. It was about our growth, a place where we could be vulnerable, be.
Speaker 1: Wraw or but most apportly be us.
Speaker 2: But as we know, life keeps evolving and so do we, and through it all, one thing has never changed. This is because we got a lot to talk about.
Speaker 1: Story time.
Speaker 3: My oldest son is first of all, he's amazing. But I'm gonna tell you something that happened to me the other day. I'm gonna flash y'all back to yesterday because.
Speaker 1: It didn't happen that long ago.
Speaker 3: I get out the bedroom and I walk down to where you're always standing there making breakfast, and this shadowy figure comes over my shoulder while I'm hugging you, and all I hear, is your chill?
Speaker 1: Let my finish making breakfast.
Speaker 3: And I looked over and he was like looking at me eye to eye with that curly frow, and then put his hand on my shoulder and I was like, yo, you're like a little man, Like you're my size now. And it was in that moment that I realized, like, I have to start teaching my son what to be prepared for walking out in the world as a young man, because people are gonna view him as a young man now he's no longer a boy. And it hit me like yesterday, like, first of all, he's gonna be taller than me, which I'm excited about. Like the minute he's talling at me, I'm gonna jump on his back and tell him he got carry me everywhere.
Speaker 2: But that is insanity. For me, it was I don't you don't really do story time. But for me, it was taking him to get his permit. He turned fifteen, and he was like, Wow, I'm studying for my permit and I was like, permission to do? What are you crazy? And yeah. I took him to the DMV and gathered all the paperwork I had to do a slide show for his eighth grade promotion ceremony, pulling up baby pittures and that there, and I'm about to get my period, so you know, my my emotions are on like a thousand.
Speaker 3: That right there is why these conversations need to be had. That driving being in high school with other kids that are driving a lot of conversations that need to be had.
Speaker 2: All right, let me let me give me gather my thoughts and my emotions. All right, karaoke time.
Speaker 3: This was very simple. We're still in that era of MJ. I know it's a little bit later on in the year, but this is an MJ summer. So once I start this song, you already know what it's gonna be. Doom doom, doom, doom, doom doom doom, doom, doom doom doom doomdoom, damn dun damn.
Speaker 1: Pause your buddy's mine.
Speaker 3: You gotta pause that before you say that. You have to because did you hear the story about why Prince didn't do the song with Michael Jackson.
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 3: Prince said that it was presented to him that he was supposed to be in the video, right, and then he was cool with it. You know what, I'm saying even though they had their little bit of a competitive bet back in the day, but he said when he heard the song, he said, well, who's saying that to Who are you saying that to me? Because I definitely ain't saying that to you, And he backed down on it. So I knew if Prince had to pause song.
Speaker 5: Why did Prince pause?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 3: That's why I had to preemptively positive Prince who walked around with his butt cheeks.
Speaker 1: I was gonna pause that. I know, I gotta pause it.
Speaker 2: Walked around with his budgets.
Speaker 1: He did though. That was a part of his thing, was he had the cheeks out.
Speaker 3: I love it, you know, which kills me today, how like older men will talk about this generation and be like, this generation do stuff that's questionable.
Speaker 1: Y'all all love Prince and Prince walked.
Speaker 3: Around with his cheeks out, but y'all talk about our artists is questionable.
Speaker 2: And he was getting them chicks too.
Speaker 3: Prince was getting older. She do not leave your girl around, Prince. It is no longer your girl, they said.
Speaker 1: Don't let her.
Speaker 3: Don't let him look her in the eye or say anything to her with that devoice.
Speaker 1: She's gone.
Speaker 3: You think Prince would have stolen you from me out of what Prince size don't need to answer me and Prince.
Speaker 1: The biggest la skin fight ever.
Speaker 3: Took my belt off, been like Prince man like, listen, don't be looking at I'm sure you whos king.
Speaker 1: You're the prince, but I'm the King.
Speaker 2: All right, y'all, we're gonna take a break and we'll be back with Op or no Op stick.
Speaker 1: Around all right, I got my pad already.
Speaker 5: Pads up, all right, Oper Nop.
Speaker 6: Something we have to talk about is how the Supreme Court recently made changes to the nineteen sixty five Voting Act.
Speaker 5: And we got to.
Speaker 6: Be honest that they want slavery. They want to bring back slavery.
Speaker 5: They're doing it. Little by little, they're finding way, they're finding way.
Speaker 6: So recently what has happened is they made a change to the Voting Right Act that weakens the law by restricting the use of majority minority districts, which basically makes it so that representation can actually represent like proportionately the Demographics Act, that's what it's supposed to do. So now they're calling that racial entitlement, whereas the real issue and why that even had to be presented in a Voting Rights Act. Is because districts would section off voting areas to make it so that, you know, their candidates would win, so that they could uphold Jim Crow, so that they could uphold discrimination. And this part of the Voting Right Acts makes it more fair so that voting districts reflect the actual population in that district.
Speaker 5: And now that can't be done.
Speaker 3: For example, in Louisiana, Louisiana, I think they're forty of the population is black.
Speaker 1: But now in Louisiana they have like two congressmen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and Louisiana is who brought this case to the Supreme Court just nuts.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And they also want to make it so that private plaintiffs can't bring lawsuits, so that they cannot what do you call it, challenge laws like this.
Speaker 2: Get me out of here.
Speaker 1: This is my op. I'm gonna give you all a little brief history lesson.
Speaker 2: Oh we love a history lesson.
Speaker 3: In eighteen sixty five, they announced that all blacks were free, right, eighteen sixty five, remember that right? In eighteen sixty seven they enacted the Vagrancy Act. The Vagrancy Act meant that if you couldn't read you couldn't write, you didn't own property. You are now property of the state and considered a vagrant and were then used for convict leasing to private places for ultimately slavery. So ultimately they said, hey, we're going to free all the slaves, and then for the past three hundred plus years, we're going to tell y'all that it's illegal for you as a slave to read or write or own property. Now we're going to free you and then make it illegal that you don't know how to read, write, or own property, and then put you back into custody of the state.
Speaker 1: To where you have to work for free. This is America.
Speaker 3: The reason why I'm telling this story is because this is what America has always done.
Speaker 1: Found a way to change the rules and the law so.
Speaker 3: They can continue to disenfranchise us as black people. We saw York. It was two thousand and I believe twelve when they decided they were trying to change the We were in Crown Heights and they were rezoning everything in Crown Heights when they were going through all the different changes and how they were going to call Crown Heights was going to be Remsen Village and Clinton Hills but we started noticing, and this is when I started speaking to my aldermen, that they were rezoning everything and all of the finances were going to certain synagogues while finances were being taken away from certain public housing in certain places.
Speaker 2: That Yeah, I remember, remember we had to go to those meetings.
Speaker 1: We had to go to Yeah, that's why.
Speaker 2: It's so important to be involved in your local election in the local government because and.
Speaker 3: When you ask the questions as to why the rezoning is happening, they never give you a straightforward answer. And so we had to do this because of this, this, that, And you go back and looking and you're like, wait, y'all took four million dollars from every public school that was in that area, and now you have all of us being rezoned to have to go to that public school after you just took four million dollars annually. They've always done this. This is not a surprise to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember when we were looking for schools for Jackson when he was about to start school, and I was like, so you're telling me I'm forced to have to send my child to this school. So that's where technically zoned there. We started looking for school yeah, around twenty twelve, thirteen, because he was about two three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's infurial. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: It is infuriating that this always like this is always the case and they playing our face.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And the reason why any of this has happened is because of the fear of losing white supremacy as the land, the law of the land, and that I feel like the catalyst for that, this like increased fear was Barack Obama being president for eight years because what we thought, voters, I mean personally, what I thought Barack Obama would do, and obviously what white people thought Barack Obama would do was to enact laws that help you know, black black people, and he didn't at all. He did not at all, And so then they took it upon themselves to do exactly what they thought he was gonna do for themselves. So now they're doing they're making all of these crazy changes to voting so that they can stay in power because they realized their fear, like they came up with a plan like, oh shit, if he does this, niggas, yes, but we if we do it, we can stay in power. It feels nefarious in that way, and I said this before on the podcast, and you devaluely like, no, that's not fair, and of course it's not fair. But I'm hella mad at Barack, like you could have been a black fanther in the White House and you chose to be an actual Democrat, Like where was the niggas at?
Speaker 3: You know what, I'm gonna be honest with you at when when you first said it, I did say, like, this isn't like we can't put that on him because he can't go in there and just do whatever you want to do. But to watch this guy be in there and just do whatever.
Speaker 5: You want to do, it's like he can but a question.
Speaker 1: That's what I was.
Speaker 5: Out.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. Could have he couldn't do.
Speaker 2: You wore a khaki suit and they were in an uproar that one time. He wore a tend right.
Speaker 5: But everybody's in an uproar.
Speaker 4: About doing this stuff because everybody's complicit with him.
Speaker 1: But everybody's in an uproa is complicent with him.
Speaker 6: Congress is in Congress is complicit. The powers that be you know, on your side, are but the people are not. You know what I'm saying, Most of the people don't agree with what is happening, and I feel like, I mean.
Speaker 3: Well, he disenfranchised the people too. You know, you hear them saying right now that white people are the new niggas.
Speaker 1: Look at all of the stuff that white people are upset about them. White people now.
Speaker 3: Upset a Trump for stuff that happening to black people for centuries. That's that's why when they're just like, you know, black people, you're not saying much.
Speaker 1: Well, this this.
Speaker 3: America that y'all seeing, where he promised y'all he wouldn't do things and are doing things to y'all, is something that we've had to deal with. Yeah, we've survived it forever, so this don't feel much different. That's why I'm saying, I went back to the black codes. You can go back to mass incarceration. They free once again. After the nineteen sixties, we had the civil rights movement. Oh, black people, everything's equal. Then here come the seventies and eighties and mass incarceration and the war on drugs.
Speaker 1: They always find a way after they say we gave y'all this.
Speaker 3: They always find a way to snatch it all back and say, well, what we gave y'all wasn't fair. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like this has always been the case. If you read w Eb the boy he says the same thing. He says, there's a history with white people and white supremacy in this country that they're there's always a black savior quote unquote, and then after the black savior comes, they punish all black people for the black savior. So you think about Malcolm and Martin and then they punish with mass incarceration. Then you have Barack Obama, then you punish us again. You think about eighteen sixty five and quote unquote Lincoln was supposed to be that and WB the Boyce was there to help usher in a new America.
Speaker 1: And then after that you get black codes and you get lynchings.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. He talked about it. This is part of white supremacy. You give them a little bit, then you take a lot. So this doesn't surprise me. We as a people just have to be prepared because we've lived through this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a We had her on the show, Lenee Venet.
Speaker 5: Yes, she said something.
Speaker 6: I cannot remember exactly what she said, but basically it's something that I've been thinking for a long time. It's like racism is just the tool that they use in order to get people on their side to stay in power. Like these people really don't care about raised body.
Speaker 1: They don't.
Speaker 6: But if you think about it, right before Trump's election, there was the Supreme Court challenge for.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 5: I first came up. What is it called college admissions.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 5: The girl from.
Speaker 6: Texas took her case all the way to the Supreme Court because she said she didn't get into the University of Texas because she was a white Remember, And what I learned about Clarence Thomas's career is that his career started by lobbying against seat belt laws. And he worked at the EEOC, which didn't have anything to do with seatbelt laws, but there was a Republican person in power who was trying to make it so that the seat belt laws or seatbelt bills didn't go into law because back in the day, you didn't have to wear a.
Speaker 1: Seat belt, I know.
Speaker 6: And so they got Clarence Thomas involved, and that's how he became kind of a Republican. I think all all the time before that he was kind of just nonpartisan because as a judge or as a lawyer, that's how you should be. But then he started working for the right during this time, and they made him kind of the face of this seat belt law thing. And so if you think about it, it seems, oh, it seems like innocuous that this stupid white girl went to the Supreme Court with this dumb ass case.
Speaker 5: However, it does start to spark some.
Speaker 6: Division based on race, and so I feel like that is purposefully done in all of these these cases that go to the Supreme Court. It sparks division based on some type of human difference, whether it is reproductive.
Speaker 5: Rights or gay rights or race.
Speaker 6: It's something that people with their moral high ground can get behind while they're not paying attention to what else is going on or how those things actually affect their personal life or how that's going to carry it. All they're trying to do is carry the you know, carry the play. That's what she said. She said, like racism is the tool. Something is the play.
Speaker 5: I can't remember what she said. I wish it was real good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's so smart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So all I know is is that I'm used to this happening, Like I feel like there's always been a point in my life where we've been fighting for something.
Speaker 1: So I kind of look at it now when yawn, because.
Speaker 2: I'm like, it's so predictable.
Speaker 3: It is. It's like when you when you see all the stuff happening and you was like, Okay, theyll remember when they started rolling back affirmative action, saw that happening, when they was rolling back DEI, when twenty twenty happened and all the white guilt happened, and all of these companies want to just throw money at black content and stuff. I always remember saying to myself, how long y'all think this is going to last? Right before they just say, you know what, this is reverse racism, and now we're taking.
Speaker 1: It all back. It's I don't have I'm gonna be honest, but I don't have no hope for America.
Speaker 4: How could you?
Speaker 1: I don't have no hope for America.
Speaker 4: Zero.
Speaker 5: That's the That is the app No hope is gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the hope is gone. We've been talking about it.
Speaker 3: We can wag him out and hopefully the people who are pretty much the new niggas realize that your vote is the re and while we're all in this situation and y'all realize they take they duped y'all.
Speaker 2: Too so long to recover from the damage she's done. Yeah, probably it's gonna take forever. We're not going to see it in our lifetime.
Speaker 1: Around the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's probably not in time at all.
Speaker 2: One person came in here and dismantled so much it's insane to watch.
Speaker 4: He didn't he didn't dismantle. He just uncovered what was laid dormant.
Speaker 2: I mean, that is true, That is true. Who who are these people in Congress too?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Are these people just sitting in there, like you know, these old folks that just sitting there that probably were descendants of owners that are just still there.
Speaker 1: Aste. That's literally what it is.
Speaker 4: Christmas?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Oh snap? What movie is there from.
Speaker 4: Another?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: That's right, Christmas Adventures. That shit was so funny.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna point some out to.
Speaker 3: Think about all of the empires that that lasted two hundred and fifty years. Two hundred and fifty years the empires lasted, right, what year we in the matter?
Speaker 5: To babe? I wonder if they're gonna have a real big celebration on work this year.
Speaker 1: Definitely years.
Speaker 5: Gets everywhere.
Speaker 1: He's man, they're gonna do all sorts of things, those.
Speaker 5: Ram parts ramping. So I brought this up.
Speaker 6: I brought this situation up because something that we learned more in depth in high school is about civics and how the government works, and also how different tools have been used for political gain. And something that we learned about early on was during Jim Crow, how the I forget his name, dude from Mississippi youth racism. He said, segregation to day, segregation, tomorrow, segregation.
Speaker 1: Trying to remember, and I think you lost.
Speaker 5: No, I was gonna say, it's a D it's a D name. Hold on, let me look at that.
Speaker 2: Real quicknis young influencer.
Speaker 4: On probably David Duke George Wallace.
Speaker 1: Speech.
Speaker 6: That speech was actually written by an KKK leader.
Speaker 1: Does that surprise you?
Speaker 6: But so George Wallace, I do believe that he did not win that race, but it's important. That was one of the most important lessons that I learned in history class. That's how I realized and my actual history teacher, mister Mileternal, actually taught us how racism is used and how just moral arguments are.
Speaker 5: Used as ways to gain political power.
Speaker 6: It's not that these people really care about it, but they know that their constituents.
Speaker 1: We watched that with religion.
Speaker 3: Trump is religion countries on behalf of Christianity. Since when is Trump become this big lavish Christian out of nowhere?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, like, and that's I.
Speaker 6: Mean Christianity was used to justify genocide of Native Americans when Europeans came here or whenever they win.
Speaker 3: Anybody use a mortal high ground to justify their wrongdoings.
Speaker 6: Exactly, and to gain political power and to be able to colonize nations. So here we are preparing Jackson to go into high school and preparing for a level of critical thinking that's going to carry him into adulthood.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm glad that you that because that is literally what I wanted to talk about today, all of those things.
Speaker 1: First thing I want to talk about being a young black man. My dad had this conversation with me getting in the car with people.
Speaker 3: Right, you have to know who you're getting in the car with people, because now your friends are driving, You're going into high school.
Speaker 1: You got friends who are eighteen nineteen years old who have their license and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yep, carpooling, going to practice, coming home from practice.
Speaker 1: One of my close friends who I grew up with playing football.
Speaker 3: I won't say his name, but was arrested because he was coming back from upstate. One of his homeboys from Flatbush picked him up to bring him back from school. While they were coming back from school, what do you think happened to them?
Speaker 2: Got pulled over in the car something transporting, Wow.
Speaker 1: Trafficking and trafficking.
Speaker 3: So he went up north to pick his homeboy up and was trafficking when they got pulled over. Everybody in the car got stuck with that time and he ended up doing three years.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 3: I got another homeboard that I played football with. He ended up playing Mike Adams. He tells the story all the time. Mike Adams was I believe, a senior in high school and he was already committed to Delaware. Homeboys came to pick him up, Mike Adams from Jersey. They had guns in the car.
Speaker 1: They get pulled over.
Speaker 3: Only thing that saved Mike Adams was that he was an athlete, and I believe the arresting officers of people knew his story, knew his family, and he was able to prove that it wasn't his guns. But sorry, but let that be someone else.
Speaker 1: They all going to jail.
Speaker 6: They're all going to jail. I don't see that all the time. On the first forty eight. Remember when I was I'm maybe a sophomore or junior. I was in this program, uh for high school girls, and there was like a boys chapter as well. But one of our leaders, her son had been murdered I think probably with people that he didn't really know what they were into.
Speaker 5: But she made us aware of the accessory law and if you.
Speaker 6: Are caught with somebody in the process of a crime, you are an accesserator will do the same time.
Speaker 5: And that scared me to goddamned death.
Speaker 2: That's actually really good because if you know like that's going to be, doesn't teach you to be mindful of the company.
Speaker 4: You can absolutely you.
Speaker 6: Know, And I've always been a scared yet I'm not getting in trouble anyway.
Speaker 5: But I'm definitely not getting in trouble now, you know, Like I.
Speaker 2: Was okay high school being with the nerds. That was me the first like two or three years of high school. Even though when I was trying to figure myself out, if.
Speaker 5: People start fighting, I go the other way. The other way. I don't want to watch it. I don't want to hear it. I don't want to see it.
Speaker 6: My cousin got stabbed death watching or trying to break up a fight.
Speaker 5: I don't give a damn. Y'all beat each other's ass.
Speaker 1: I'm leaving, yep.
Speaker 3: Because conversations with your kids. I got another one for y'all. Child pornography.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: You're fifteen years old, Surety sends you some pictures.
Speaker 3: You put it in a group chat. The group chat starts sending those pictures out. They start investigating. They find a group chat. You don't say nothing in the group chat, but your name is in the group chat. You go to jail for child pornography. That is a law.
Speaker 6: I had a friend whose brother got in trouble for that yea when he was a senior somebody. And it wasn't even a group chat. It was just a girl sent him nudes. He's saying her parents found it and they were like, you know, black boy, white girls out.
Speaker 2: It's just the fact that she sent them to history.
Speaker 4: He had them on his phones where he got in trouble.
Speaker 5: He got in trouble.
Speaker 4: That's crazy. She gets in no trouble.
Speaker 6: She gets in no trouble because she's under age and I think he might have been at least almost eighteen at the time.
Speaker 5: He was probably a senior. She's sophomore or something like that.
Speaker 6: There's a kid in Cincinnati right now who is a girl's family's pressing criminal charges because he created nudes of one of his classmates with using AI and sent them out to like that before, but the school let him come back to class.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the wild Bie West. I feel like as parents now we're just contending with so many things that we did not have to contend with. Like my mom looked at me the other day and she's like, I really feel feel for you guys, because you not raising children the way I raised you. The worst we were concerned about was like, you know, what would happen if you're taking public transportation or like you know. But now it's like the social space, the digital space rather is where we're like, man, there's so much to contend with. How do you control it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: The one thing I do the same thing with my boys that I did with my young men and women that I had in prototype. We do social media checks, need them passwords, and I need to see that phone on demand.
Speaker 1: Like when I asked you to see the phone, I'm not trying to hear.
Speaker 3: Oh Dad, I'm gonna go upstairs and get it. No no, no, no, no, pass me that phone. Let me look at it right now, unprompted, because I want to see You would be surprised. And I'm saying this to all parents who are listening. All parents, listen to me. Everything you think you know about your child, boy or girl.
Speaker 1: You don't know.
Speaker 3: I had moms proclaimed to me that their children do not have social media, didn't even know they kid had a phone. These kids are taking their their friends' phones that are not active, using the Wi Fi, keeping it because it doesn't have to be attached to anything, and having their own apps on phones that their.
Speaker 1: Parents don't even know. And theyre bringing berners home. The burners stay at the school. That's how they never get caught. This is how I found out about is another story. When you're mentoring, you see it all.
Speaker 2: I've seen high schoolers, We've seen it all.
Speaker 3: I seen kids get I saw a very tragic story.
Speaker 1: A young lady had sex with two young men.
Speaker 3: They decided to share some of the pictures and video and that young lady walked off a train at the end of school.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, at the end of school.
Speaker 3: These two athletes almost missed out on playing in their senior I think they did miss out playing in their senior year because they were dealing with charges and stuff.
Speaker 1: But this was back in two thousand and twelve.
Speaker 3: I believe, and social media was just starting to buzz and people didn't know what to do then.
Speaker 1: So as a parent.
Speaker 3: Now, because I saw all of those things, I'm talking to Jack's about drugs alcohol. I'm not back in the day. Don't do no drugs, don't do no alcohol. I know that this around him. He's in eighth grade now when them eighth grade is be vapor When I pull up to the school to go to some of these things, these eighth grade is outside smoking.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was definitely smoking weed in eighth grade.
Speaker 1: So I'm no longer going to be the whole like drugs is bad. If I now like, what are you interested? Do you know what drugs are? Do you know what alcohol is?
Speaker 3: Have you ever tasted alcohol? Do you because I want them to My parents did that with me. My uncle Kevin was just like you ever had a drink before and I was like nah. He was like, you're looking at that Hennessy and I was just like I was fifteen, give me no taste.
Speaker 1: And I was like yo.
Speaker 3: I was like, let me get it in me taste and he was like, if you taste it, you got to drink the whole cup.
Speaker 4: Oh damn.
Speaker 1: So me being an idiot and not knowing you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I had this Tennessee no ice because I'm thinking I'm tough and I'm sipping it. Boy in about an hour and a half, sweating, didn't want to know, like just sweating, looking around like yo, what.
Speaker 2: Like he was a cop. He was just like, let me put you through this.
Speaker 1: My uncle Kevin did not play with that stuff with me and my brothers.
Speaker 3: He was the most scared straight and I love him for that, the most scared straight type of person.
Speaker 1: Oh you want to do this, Let's go do this.
Speaker 3: You want to see what with gangs and really happens with this? Okay, let's go look at that. And it wasn't like the scared straight. It just gave me the warwellthrow to understand it.
Speaker 1: That's not a role I want to go down.
Speaker 2: It also takes the mistique away from it because so many things in high school are glorified by your little friends who don't know any better. So if you're exposing your children to this and having the conversation it doesn't seem like something that's like out of touch. Make it accessible for them in an environment that's controlled while the stakes are low facts versus waiting till they get to a high school or college or become an adult to get into trouble that when the stakes are really high and they can lose so much.
Speaker 3: You know, we talk to our boys and we're talking about high school Becausejackson's going to high school, but we talk to our boys about this stuff from young We talked to Kyro and Cash just the other day about consent nine to eight years old. I'm like, you see me, I grab on your mother, right, you see, I put on my lap. You know that we were friends first, and we had these conversations in front of them, like, you know, I asked her, you know, if it's okay. You got to remember when Jackson went over to Rob and remember Rob's daughter. I forgot Rob's daughters, Oh, Aubrey. They were eleven at the time, and no ten. They were ten because we're still living in LA and Rob called me, like, man, we got to talk, and.
Speaker 1: I was like, what's up.
Speaker 3: He was just like, Jackson put his arm around Aubrey and then he was like, what happened?
Speaker 1: Now? I was like, I was like, so what happened? He was just like nothing.
Speaker 3: I was watching him in the room and then he had his arm around her, and then after a while he didn't.
Speaker 1: So I was all right, so I'm gonna talk to Jackson see what it was about. He's like, I'm just letting you know that. You know, it seems like Jackson's interested in girls because he's a man too.
Speaker 3: He was like, yo, I have this conversation. So I said, Jackson, what happened? He was like, no, I just saw you do it because mom. You do it with mom. And I said, well, did you ask? He said yeah, I asked, and she.
Speaker 1: Said okay, and then after a while she was like she's not okay no more.
Speaker 3: So I just moved it. So I said, well, that's that's consent. You're practicing learning how to interact with a young lady. And then remember he walked her home. Remember he walked her home and made sure she got into the door and stuff, and I just want to make sure that my boys are awa that they also have rights to protect themselves exactly.
Speaker 6: Yes, Yeah, I was gonna say, there's a big thing too with boys and their hormones, and you know, just like having so much energy and testosterone and sexuality becomes a really big thing. And I think the biggest thing with girls and boys is that it's private, you know what I'm saying, Like, and that is something that should be taught early because of the phones. Back in the day, when I was in sixth grade, it used to be like a boy just showed you his dick on the bus and You're like, why would you do that?
Speaker 1: You can't prove it.
Speaker 2: You can't prove it nobody.
Speaker 6: Now the dig pics have gotten out of control, even with like adults. You know what I'm saying, This is private for you, Like it's okay, you know you your body is for your exploration. You should find out what's good and what's not. But it's private for you. I don't want to see nobody else needs to see it.
Speaker 1: One of my kids got caught in the dig pic. The reason why I was funny because we was like that ain't even your dick, he said he was. She said, she just said, YO, send me a dick pic. So he just sent a dick pic he said. I wasn't going to say was smart.
Speaker 5: I was like, bro, give him.
Speaker 2: And you like what happened. That just goes to show how innocent they are, and they're not even equipped to be engaging in that kind of activity because y'all doing dumb ship in the process saying. One thing I'm happy about is Jackson's not a kid attached to his device like there's Sometimes we'll go to call him and it may just be he's in the house and we're like somewhere upstairs and he's downstairs and he's just like, oh, I didn't have my phone with me. And in the moment, you want to be like, bro, like where's your phone? And then I'm like, you know what devil said. Sometimes he's a practice he don't answer. It's kind of good that he's not very dependent on his phone. He really isn't, and I hope he kind of stays that way.
Speaker 1: As parents, we got to be careful though.
Speaker 3: I have two kids who smoke something bad in college and the same afterwards.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So the whole even smoking weed thing.
Speaker 3: I talked to Jackson about, Yo, if you are interested, because weed is legal and I think forty eight of the fifty states, so a lot of his friends who are older, they go out and they purchase weed, and I'm like, yo, listen, if you're interested in smoking, please come to me first and talk to me about what it is you think you might want to try. Don't go out there and ask your friends because you're afraid that your dad might be upset because the last thing I wanted you to go out there and get some bad synthetic weed.
Speaker 1: And now I'm.
Speaker 3: Wondering what happened to myself, you know, because I have two kids from Prototype who I speak to their parents, and it was like he smoked something that was never the same after that one loss of full scholarship, Yeah, because of it.
Speaker 6: The biggest part here then once my high school is dead. He died of a heroin overdose a few years back, and he was like in and out of rehabs for a long time, and it was like, of course he had other issues other than smoking weed, but you know, it does play into it. If you find a way to cope that is drugs, or alcohol or something outside of your Yeah, at least, yeah, you're gonna keep doing that and that a certain point weed is not gonna be enough, you know so, right, and we just ill not legal in Georgia, so they we here And I did hear a report about gummies that are sold in places where weed is not legal, a lot of them being laced with fentanyl.
Speaker 1: Yes, like to get people addicted.
Speaker 3: That's why it's important to have these conversations with your kids going into high school because as they legalize these things, and the only reason they're legalizing these things is to tax them so that they can make money, because they knew before they weren't making any money.
Speaker 2: Off the industry. It's the same thing industry.
Speaker 1: As alcohol was and prohibition.
Speaker 3: It's like at one point alcohol was the big bad wolf until they legalize it so that they can tax people on it. But then we watch out like alcohol has been killing people left and right. So it's not enough to just trusted the government are going to put parameters on things that are not good for kids.
Speaker 1: Because when I watch these kids even smoking cigarettes, because.
Speaker 3: You can get cigarettes at eighteen twenty one, now twenty one, Now that's how old Diane, I need so these kids be smoking cigarettes at the school.
Speaker 1: Like I go to the high.
Speaker 3: School and I'm like, first of its twenty twenty six kids smoking cigarette.
Speaker 1: Kids though, because they.
Speaker 3: Want to look older, they want to look cool, they want to feel independent.
Speaker 4: That's a crazy way to look cool. Bro, Bro, that's about to feel you must to say something crazy. The sad part is that's better than vapor.
Speaker 1: Cigarettes are better than vapor.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it's very addicting. Nicotine is extremely addicted.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you think whokah will ever go? Or who can here to stay?
Speaker 6: Whokah's here to stay? Nobody says anything bad about who could.
Speaker 4: Ever the problem?
Speaker 1: They knew they would. Smoking hookahs horrible for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I started. We used to do it, you know, occasionally socially, but I kind of just said, you know, I'm off that.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 3: I knew hohoku was bad when I went to the Bronx, and that's a big thing. In the Bronx, they smoke a like hook and I seen his chick. She was like twenty two.
Speaker 1: She sounded like a grandma.
Speaker 3: She was like, I've been smoking because I was fifteen. I was like, yeah, but nah, this.
Speaker 1: I do be worried about my kids.
Speaker 3: Man, and I'm not waiting unto high school to have these conversations with them.
Speaker 1: And I'm also not I want to clear it up.
Speaker 3: I'm not promoting my kid smoking or drinking alcohol because you know, you say certain clips and oh defou said this something. No, I'm not promoting that. If you ask my sons now when dad started smoking, they'll tell you. My dad ain't start smoking until you retired from the NFL. My dad only smoked when he won. He smoked cigars. My dad didn't drink.
Speaker 1: I grew up all of college ever since you know me, I was never.
Speaker 3: Biggingto smoking and drinking, and it was because I was focused on what I was doing. But also, my dad never made drinking taboo and my uncle's never made any of that stuff taboo, so I never was like it.
Speaker 1: They never hid it from me.
Speaker 3: When it was around and people were doing it, they were like, yeah, that's that, but we don't do that.
Speaker 1: So for me, it was like, oh, if I see the people that I look up to not.
Speaker 3: Doing it and it's around, exactly, I didn't feel no way about telling people my age I didn't do it, and they never pressed me for it.
Speaker 1: They was like, if I don't smoke.
Speaker 2: He don't drink, your athlete, so and you can be cool doing that. You know, a lot of times kids just do it because they want affirmation from the people around them. But if no one's making it cool, it's just like, all right, no big deal.
Speaker 1: I do want to talk about preparing your kids to be independent thinkers going into high school and not seeking admiration and approval from their peers, because I knew if that was something someone would have told me in middle school, I wouldn't have struggled my first two years of high school. I struggled my first two years of high school only because I was very different and I didn't understand that you don't have to be a part of all of the clicks.
Speaker 3: So I was doing stuff early, like I cut class when I first started, I was I was part of this dance group.
Speaker 1: I tried to join the gang.
Speaker 3: Told you how to join the gang. You know, it's math funny. It's math funny.
Speaker 2: It's also like a culture shock. For example, you go from a smaller you know, you know, eighth grade or whatever. Your junior high school is like mine was like a class of twenty seven, and then I graduated and went to high school and there.
Speaker 1: Were four thousand thousand people.
Speaker 2: It's a culture shock. Initially you're nervous, you can't find your way around. I wore uniform for my entire life, so I'm trying to figure out my own personal style. So I know, my freshman and sophomore year, I was dressed like, you know, somebody's Jamaican daughter, Like I know.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: Imagine going to high school like I had just got braces. My freshman year Conway for real.
Speaker 3: Though, yeah, we all were.
Speaker 2: We always wear like baggy clothes like I had no sense videos no sense of identity. I was trying to figure everything out. So it's like you're going into that half of its culture shock, you know, so you're trying to find your way through and find your confidence in it. It took me to about junior year. I need, I'm not gonna lie second half junior year then I was like, oh, this is this is the flex.
Speaker 1: That I'm trying to be.
Speaker 2: School uniform see going through See Jackson will have that through high school.
Speaker 1: I had to learn how not to run closed.
Speaker 3: I had to learn how not like imagine you twelve, you and seventh grade, and this is my favorite shirt.
Speaker 1: I'm with my favorite shirt every Friday till somebody said that I always wear that shirt Friday.
Speaker 3: And you're like, oh, that's the problem running that shirt. And you're like, oh, this is a day I can't, so you don't wear that shirt ever again. And now that becomes like a thing where.
Speaker 1: You know that that that like stuck with me.
Speaker 2: Oh for really, it happened to me too. I had this one outfit that I got to wear to this birthday party. It was actually Richard Dunk's birthday party in high school. I think it was like a sixteenth birthday and I got this matching guest say. It was like a capri pant with a halty top and it was so cute and I got so many kind compliments that night, so I was like, oh, people love this outfit. I love this outfit. I feel good in it. I ended up wearing it again like the next month or something else, not knowing that that was a faux pat. I just wore it again because it was my favorite moment time and people talked about me so bad. How could he wore this outfit?
Speaker 4: Like again, as kids, that's crazy. I didn't deal with teasing until I got to junior high school. Like it was me too.
Speaker 2: That was in high school for me.
Speaker 5: I want to make sure I got teased at home. I didn't get teased at school.
Speaker 2: Well, if you get teased at home, so developed, Yeah, you developed a rip skin, you know, within our families.
Speaker 5: Shoot, that's why I had to move.
Speaker 6: I had to get away from my hating as sisters, haters. Bro I was just looking at a picture of me and my dad. I think I must have been like fifteen or sixteen, and I used to wear it made me remember I used to wear my belts with the buckle off to the side because I like, I just liked how it looked with you know, the they were, you know, the little meta. I just wanted it all to be like that in the front. I ain't want the buckle to be in a way. And I was like, damn, I was really a mother fucking individual. I went on nobody. No, I wasn't getting teased that school once again. But by this time I was living with my dad, like as an only child, so I wasn't getting at home either.
Speaker 2: But I'm sure you wore that belt, bucal to the sideway confidence, so nobody could tell you shit. That's what I love about Jackson. For example, he just went to his eighth grade dance and the dress code was to wear you know, like you know, tie shirt, jacket, whatever sports code, and coming off of the Michael Jackson movie, he was so inspired to say he he hit us in the group chat Me, Devo and Kwame because you know, Kwame is like and love is Michael Jackson like obsessed. So he's like, I want to wear an outfit for my spring dance, but I don't want it to be like a costume. I want to pay homage to MJ. So it was like, I got you. So he put together this fly jacket. It was like a leather jacket of course, with like the Rangates design in the front, with a bow tie dress shirt, slacks that were a little high with video yes.
Speaker 5: Oh cool.
Speaker 2: Yes, you guys don't see the picture in the light of day because he told us we cannot post it and we're fine with that. Okay, so we'll show y'all.
Speaker 1: But he showed.
Speaker 3: I was just about to say I was about to show it, but I realized that he did tell us he ain't want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he looked so fly. He looks so fly, and he walked into that dance with such confidence. He was a little fifteen minutes past the start time because he was like, I got to get there. My friends are there before six o'clock. I said, the party started six, walking there six five, so you can make a statements. But I was just so proud of him in that moment because he was not letting anybody to turn him for what he saw as his look for this dance. You know, so while everybody was in their suits and ties and looking great, he was in there making his own statement and confidently walking in that. And I, as he's getting older, I love that he feels equipped to know that I'm confident with who I am, how I look what I want to do. I'm not seeking affirmation and from everybody else. They had an after party after the spring dance, and I was like, yo, I didn't know that such and such was having an after party. Did everyone go or what happened? He was like, yeah, I thought about it, but I know I had a game early the next morning, so I said, let me just come straight home against some rest.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, So I was like, man, does that at fifteen boy.
Speaker 6: When I was fifteen, I joined this group Zinos, and we had an initiation. We had done it all summer, like it was kind of like a sorority. So we had been like pledging all summer, and then we had our initiation ceremony on a Sunday. First of all, my dad, you said, do everything last minute. My dad would be late to everything. So of course that Sunday I had to go find a white dress for this initiation ceremony. So the night before this, I had went out with some of my white friends. Somebody gave me some alcohol. It was like Bacardi won fifty one and they were like take a shot. I'm like okay, and then I was like whoa instant regret.
Speaker 5: So me and my dad.
Speaker 6: So then me and my dad, it's the middle it's the middle of summer too, so it's hot as hell. Me and my dad gotta go to the mall. We go to this outdoor shopping center and I'm like, oh my god, I can't even look for a white dress because I'm so hungover.
Speaker 5: I'm like, help me please.
Speaker 6: So finally were about to leave and I just puked all over my dad's car and he was like, what the hell did you have at that party last night? I couldn't think of anything. I just said Caybody's birth.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: But my point is not once did I think to myself before going to that party I got something.
Speaker 2: To do with tomorrow? Yeah? Yeah, I know even now. If that was me, i'd have been outside. And it's a part two because my parents had such a like tight hold on me that I would have wanted to be outside. We don't do that with Jackson. He does everything he's supposed to do. That we have to almost encourage him to go to things like you want to chill with your friends, y'all want to do something cool, Let's do that. It's cool, like having the latitude to do it doesn't make it a mistique.
Speaker 3: The thing is, we made a choice years ago that we were no longer going to raise our boys through anyone else's lens. For example, remember I said to help him with confidence, I'm not gonna tell him, yoll go brush your teeth because girls are going to say your breasting, brush your teeth because if you don't, you get ginger vitis and your teeth can fall out. We really started doing that, and when it's time for him to make decisions. For example, with his hair, he was like, Dad, should I twist my hair like this?
Speaker 1: Or twist it back? I said, why are you asking me? How I feel about your hair? Doesn't matter. Do you like it like this? He's like, yeah, I do, so then do it. And I always support him in whatever.
Speaker 3: The decision is, even if the decision doesn't work out the way he wanted it to. I said, Bro, you made a decision.
Speaker 1: You got to pivot. Pivot, I got you.
Speaker 3: I think doing that more with our kids is allowing them to feel comfortable being free thinkers and being free in their skins, so they don't feel like I gotta be how everybody else is, because that's the heart sting in high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get to high school.
Speaker 3: It's like if you don't fit in early and you become the outcast, Now you got to spend four years of people just shitting on you because it's fun for them because they all feel the same way.
Speaker 1: But you're the only one that stands out is the outcast.
Speaker 4: Right, And that's the thing I think individualism is not. We're not preaching that individualism is something that you can aspire to be right, I remember myself like I wanted to. I went to high school more timid than anything else. I spent all these years in private school, and then I went to junior high school, where I just felt like an outcast. I was younger, and then when I went to high school again, I'm younger than everybody else. Yep, so I wasn't I wasn't groomed or prepped to be like a leader. Right, I'm literally in there following everybody else because I'm the youngest kid there and I'm just trying to fit in. And I think that I had funny enough. I had a conversation with my mother about it the other day. I think it's a recipe for disaster. Thankfully everything worked out, but I think it's a recipe for disaster to send kids that are younger than their environment in any space, because you're dealing with first off, you don't know nothing. You don't know anything, and you could be a smart kid, but you're still stupid, like you just the kids don't. You can't rush maturity exactly. And I think, yeah, it's lack of knowledge. And I think for me, dealing with not knowing like how the world works. And then on top of that, trying to fit in, trying to make friends, trying to be a guy that girls like, like, you're just you're doing so many things and every single thing feels like a mistake. You don't feel like you're doing anything because you're doing it for the sake of, you know, this solid decision that I'm making, Like Jackson, I'm not going to do this because or or trouble. I'm not going to do this because I got something important tomorrow. It's more or less like, let me just do it just just because I want to fit in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, it's funny you talk about that.
Speaker 3: When I was at poly Prep and I worked at Polyprep for two years, and I noticed a lot of the wealthier parents, their kids were older in middle school in high school, and I was just like, like, you held your something back and they was just like, yeah, what's the rush?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I was like, I was like, well, him get out and be able to earn and he was. And they always just say to me, once again, what's the rush. I'm not going to pay for him to go to college at seventeen and him tell me at twenty one that he had no clue what he was doing and he was just following everybody.
Speaker 1: So I'm not doing that. When he's mature enough to move to the next step, he'll move.
Speaker 3: So in elementary school, when they noticed their kids are still like very immature, they hold them back to elementary school.
Speaker 1: Like what's the rush? And I started realizing, like there is something to maturity in academia.
Speaker 3: And so you said socially, when you go into a place and say, for example, like Tori and Sakari, they both started school early because they were the third child, and since they were the third child, they got things quick, so our parents put them in school.
Speaker 1: You three go to school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also a flex too. It's just like, oh my child is advanced. My child is and it's just like okay, Like you go to.
Speaker 3: Sixteen and a senior in high school, and we watched it in college. There were seventeen and sixteen year old girls in college. All them girls were acting wild because they were trying to fit in to the older girls who had already developed, you know, emotionally. Now these younger girls are doing anything to just fit in, and I'm like, I would never send my sixteen year old child.
Speaker 4: It's a detriment because It's the same thing.
Speaker 3: The young dudes that came into play sports. They all struggled with alcoholism because they were trying to be so grown. And you're seventeen and now you're in college and you're trying to fit in with the twenty one year olds. It's like you're not mature enough to understand what's going on.
Speaker 4: The difference like a year can make, yes, right, if you've only lived in this earth for fourteen, fifteen, sixteen years, the difference one year can make on your maturity. I didn't know at that head at that age, but now looking back at it, and even having my own child, like she's eleven, she's way smarter than she is now, and that when she was ten, and that same thing for five and six and you know, six or seven and all that.
Speaker 3: So imagine this, though you're a young child and you in a group, you eleven, but everybody else in that group is twelve. You don't feel like doing whatever they're doing, but you're the young one. It's way easier for the people to be like, yo, do this.
Speaker 1: But imagine you are older.
Speaker 3: Twelve and there's some younger twelves and hey, we're all doing this, and you could be like, I'm not doing that, I'm not listening to y'all.
Speaker 1: That maturity, that one year difference.
Speaker 3: Makes that child feel more confident in who they are to say I'm not following the group just because y'all a group.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and having older siblings definitely helps with that.
Speaker 6: I've always I have a summer birthday, so I usually turned the age everybody else was after the school year was over, exact. Yeah, So but I never felt pressure because I got older sisters at home. That was hey s as I previously stated, so I had.
Speaker 5: To stand up to them.
Speaker 6: Plus seventh my high school started in seventh grade, so I went to the same school from seventh grade until I graduated.
Speaker 5: And seventh grade it's.
Speaker 6: Almost like they kind of trick you, you know, so they're like, we my high school is very academic, so they're like, you're gonna have a lot of textbooks.
Speaker 5: You got to take them home because you have a lot of homework.
Speaker 6: So we all like, let's get rolling book bagh grade. You take your rolling book back to school and between you know, classes, the hallways pack. I don't want to walk behind your fucking rolling book bag. So people would like kitkick it book bag over and now you carrying your heavy ass rolling book bag, because not only do you have all these books in it, it has wheels on that.
Speaker 5: So then you have to you have to learn how to use your locker. You know what I'm saying. You got to learn how to prioritize. And you kind of you kind of.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't know why I was not allowed in fifth grade my mother rolling book back and my older brother and his friends.
Speaker 1: That's what happened. They're gonna kick them.
Speaker 2: Rolling should be like I'm preparing for all the flights I'm about to take. As I'm sitting in first class, I'll watch you walk to the economy. Don't do that.
Speaker 1: Don't do that.
Speaker 4: You either a jazz sport or north face or something. But you was not. You would just go with it to me.
Speaker 6: And a rolling book bag. It costs a pretty penny, you know what I'm saying. So I'm like, we're balling out on a rolling book bag. I stopped carrying that thing about halfway through the school. Everything that happened to you, but it like accelerates your growth, you know, you learn how to navigate the spaces a little bit better, a little bit faster because the older upper classmen are not showing you no mercy.
Speaker 5: We used to have a system.
Speaker 6: You know, you walk down a certain side of the stairwheel, you walk through a certain door when we're changing classes. If you walking through the wrong door, you're getting knocked over. Nobody cares. So that it like accelerated your growth, and it didn't make you want to be like them, because you know, we were separated enough that like we didn't have the same lunch period as ten to eleven twelfth graders. We didn't have the same classes unless you're like in senior orchestra as the seventh grader.
Speaker 1: How big was your school?
Speaker 5: Three thousand students?
Speaker 3: I still think this is you can't put seventh graders in the school with twelfth grader.
Speaker 1: Y yeah, eighteen ninety years old. Them kids are twelve.
Speaker 6: The other the other the other thing about it is that you can fail out in seventh and eighth grade. If you get three f's, you can't go to the school anymore. So it's like you have to be focused. You can be running behind people. Upperclassmen are meant to you anyway. You got to develop your own, you know, sense of confidence and by eighth grade. You have so much confidence that that you you you've learned how to navigate the space, that it even creates more of an acceleration for you.
Speaker 5: But it was hard.
Speaker 1: We used to torture the summer.
Speaker 3: The sum readers didn't have roly book bags, but they used to have all their textbooks. So what you Yeah, if they booked bag while they're walking and then you let it go and it would drop.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I guess that's that goes back to saying we just be laughing this ship, you know what about what's funny?
Speaker 1: That's another thing I do.
Speaker 3: I teach my kids how to fight because my father was big on that. My father put us in mixed martial arts taekwon doing jiu jitsu for five.
Speaker 1: Years and we competed nationally. Jack I bought them bags downstairs.
Speaker 4: Stuff was up. You call I seen Caro in that.
Speaker 1: That's not go fight Caro.
Speaker 4: I won't go fight that is.
Speaker 1: That's the point. I don't want you dancing around people. If you get into a fight ended and early.
Speaker 3: That's my dad, because if you get in a fight with somebody, you fall back and hit your head.
Speaker 1: Now you incapacitated.
Speaker 3: No we're not bullies. I don't want no issues with you, sir, Please get out of my space. But if you and if they in your space, learn how to handle that.
Speaker 1: Put them down and say excuse me, miss, he touched me.
Speaker 4: First.
Speaker 3: I teach my boys that because one thing I'm not gonna deal with is you being bullied. Do not come in his house talking about some so.
Speaker 1: And so is calling me names or bullying me on social.
Speaker 3: Unfollowing them whoever's social unfollowing them like, we're not doing this, block like I need that confidence.
Speaker 4: For real.
Speaker 3: Did you hear about the Division one athlete who ended up killing himself because of his follower count?
Speaker 1: No young man out here.
Speaker 3: In Georgia, I think three star, four star and baseball and football was having some mental issues. His parents admitted he ended up killing himself, and they said that one of his biggest things he kept talking about is he doesn't get the buzz on social media.
Speaker 2: Like for information on social media.
Speaker 3: And then they're asking the parents and he was one of those kids who was work hard, go to his room, work hard, go to his room. The parents said they didn't realize at any point that there was anything wrong with their son. They just felt like he was a normal fifteen year old kid that just went to his room until they went to his room one morning.
Speaker 1: He wasn't down for school in time, and they opened that door and he was.
Speaker 4: Gone, Damn, these devices are not normal.
Speaker 3: Wow, bro, No, we got to make sure that our kids are confident, confident fact.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go confidently play these bills and we'll be back with your listing letter of the day. All right, Dear Devalcadein and the Ellis ever After crew. After listening to the Beyond the Class episode, I'm writing to seek your advice regarding my nearly three year old godson and cousin. I want the best for him, but I'm increasingly concerned about his current environment and developmental progress. His mother is a single parent who works long hours, so he primarily stays with his elderly grandparents, who have limited literacy. Unfortunately, there is very little structure in either household. For example, he often stays up till two am because he naps late in the evening. Additionally, his father cannot read or write and has another son with cognitive disabilities. I'm concerned that he's not meeting typical developmental milestones. For his age, His vocabulary is very limited and he still communicates primarily through babbling and pointing. We have also found potty training to be exceptionally difficult. When I spend time with him, I noticed he has very short attention spans and struggles to engage even with educational content such as videos on YouTube, for more than two to three minutes at a time. Given the lack of structure and his limited progress, what steps would you recommend to help support his development? How do I express my concerns his mother without overstepping Any guidance or resources you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for listening.
Speaker 3: The first thing is that mom has to be willing to accept help. I've realized this with my prototype kids. You can recognize something's wrong with a child and have all good intent, but if that parent is not willing to accept it, don't even waste your breath.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and parents curse.
Speaker 3: Me out, get easily offended, and later come back and be like, ah, he was right, coachabal and I don't take I don't take it personal. Yeah, but people's kids are very personal to them, and when you point out to someone that their child may be behind people sometimes take it as an attack, like you're saying I'm a bad parent.
Speaker 1: So I would say be very careful with how you approach it. But I do think the things that she recognizes are spot on.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure, children at that age, especially three year old there, they're like sponges.
Speaker 1: They need structure.
Speaker 2: They need structure. So essentially whatever they're exposed to is what they're going to absorb. And with them, consistency and repetitive things are really essentially what will help them reach those milestones.
Speaker 3: But this is the problem note especially for this demographic of kids at this age. When we were growing up, if you left us with our parents, right and we played, for example, a video game, you play a video game that required you to focus on that video game, there were consequences, right, you die in a video game, you start over. These new games they have you pay to keep playing, so there's no consequence, or you keep scrolling and there's no end, so they have no attention span because they just keep moving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they even such short from content is really bad because you get what you got to get out of the fifteen to twenty second video and you scroll to the next thing. So attention spans have become that much shorter.
Speaker 3: This is why structure is more important. I do like the Monassori method for certain things, but I think kids who need structure don't work well in the Montessori because.
Speaker 2: It's too free.
Speaker 3: Yes, and for example, for like our sons, I know Cairo and Dakota are the type of kids if you put them in a Montsory setting, they gonna play the game and they're gonna be like, Yo, I just want to do blocks and I want to go outside. You need to tell them naw, you got to do forty five minutes of arithmetic in order for them to learn that. In life, sometimes you gotta do things that you don't want to to get places you want to. So I think with young kids like that, the more discipline you can give them, the better. Take the electronics away, let them work outside. But also, if the parents and the adults around them have literacy issues, you gotta expect that the child will have literacy issues as well.
Speaker 2: Right, But I mean the elderly grandparents who have limited literacy and a three year old, at the very minimum, you should be able to read books that are on his level, you know what I'm saying. So if it means turning off the TV and engaging having conversation. We realized with Dakota because he stayed with my dad a lot during the day. My dad is just a man of little words, so there was no reason for them to talk and engage and have conversations, you know. So the child's environment is very important. I don't know what the mother's financial situation is like, but maybe if the child can be put even in some sort of like part time daycare program where he's around other children his age, in a teaching environment where that's the structure, that may be some of what he needs. Wear him out during the day, so he's going to bed at seven eight o'clock in the evening and getting twelve hours of sleep, so he's not taking late naps, you know. To say that people do it out of convenience, and I understand, and financially you may not be in a position to do it. But they do have programs depending on what city you live in, where you can apply for, for example, universal pre K and that's funded by the state or by the government, so there's no need to be ashamed.
Speaker 3: We were looking to go to Brooklyn Friends, which was three thousand dollars a month, and me and K was like, what this is?
Speaker 1: This is honest. We were sitting in this thing. E and K comes back.
Speaker 3: It's like they sent back the tuition what it would be and I was like three thousand dollars. I was like, okay, we could divide that by ten. It's like he's three hundred a month. And she's like no, no, no, no, no, it's three thousand a month. And I asked the lady, I said, what can you promise me? My four year old is going to learn here for three thousand dollars a month. Her response was, well, every child gets an iPad. I said, I can buy him his own iPad. Thirty thousand dollars UPK it is Me and Kay walked up out of it at me and we really thank you for your time, so much for you.
Speaker 2: We got accepted, but he won't be going here because what I know, it just simply requires basics, consistency and structure and structure. So hopefully you can have the conversation with your mom. I think if she entrusted you to be his godmother and your cousin and your family, I think the tact and the approach is all ways going to be at the forefront of things on how you approach her with just offering suggestions, maybe giving her this is advice, like hey, would you ever think about putting him in? And if you have the latitude, be like, hey, I don't mind picking up some days or drop some morings. You know what I'm saying, being that village for her, if that's your genuine concern, because you know.
Speaker 1: What's worse as a parent than trying to do your best in someone.
Speaker 3: The worst thing in trying to do your best and failing is someone pointing out that you're not doing it well, but also not offering any.
Speaker 2: Any right, So if you really want to help or you.
Speaker 1: Value and come prepared with the plan and say hey, I see you doing everything. Can I add something?
Speaker 3: And maybe that's the way where it don't get put on the mom so she won't be offensive. You already acknowledge that she's doing everything she can, so you, as a godmother tried.
Speaker 2: She might even be aware that there's a deficittion. She might you know, and she might be like, damn, I I'm in this by myself, and now she knows she has something I think she.
Speaker 4: Has to not lead with everything that she she she outlined for us everything she she saw what's wrong wrong, right, don't lead with that.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: She has to position herself as like a free resource, like she is the next step to help, even though she's taking him to free programs at the library, intervention thing or anything else like that. Whatever she can do that. It doesn't require a legal guardian.
Speaker 1: Or something like that for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't think about that. They do have like things that museums, free programs, the library. You can bring the kids.
Speaker 4: It probably just needs to interact with more kids his age. Yeah, yeah, so that he really start talking more. Yes, because the grandparents thing is not helpful whatsoever. That is actually like a net negative when you think about it being grandparents realize that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the dad is also sounds like that is a little said. The dad can't doesn't read and write as well. So it's just like the child's home environment isn't big with literacy. Yeah, put him. Put that child in a program where there's other people around, watch that child flow flourish.
Speaker 3: That's a prototype was remember all of the kids that came, we had an eighty average minimum.
Speaker 1: You had to have an eighty average on to be a part of prototype all of the parents. Yeah, my son, I was sixty seven. I said, listen, you put him amongst these kids where it's cool to be small. Watch your son.
Speaker 3: And we always did report card checks and them grades always meet the standard because you'll be surprised how people just they're in an environment where it's.
Speaker 1: Cool to be stupid.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be stupid, but wait, it's cool to be smart. I'm doing my homework because you don't want to be the only one that don't.
Speaker 4: Got an eighty average. That's a difference between all public schools. Like you got an environment where the teachers don't care, the students don't care, No one cares. Everyone's failing that environment where teacher's care, the principal cares.
Speaker 1: That is a fact.
Speaker 4: Everyone cares.
Speaker 1: So that's a fact. Good. I'm glad you point out good public school start with principles.
Speaker 3: Like shout out to Cody Keys visionaries in the sense for sure, because the saw what that school needed at a time where the graduation rate was low, and she brought in all of those mentors to change it. Brought in people and they went from having a D and graduation rate to an a plus the morale.
Speaker 5: It's small crack no.
Speaker 1: No, shout out Dakota Keys.
Speaker 2: If you say we love you, come Dakota. Dakota's son and I went to nursery school together. That's how far back we go.
Speaker 1: Shout out Mateo Matteo, Dakota. Shout out the mentorship program we did there.
Speaker 5: To receive you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, y'all. If you want to be featured as a listener letter this season, email us at the Ellis Advice at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: That's t H E E L L I S A d V I C E at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, moment of truth time. We're talking about prepping for high school and all that good stuff. I know mine is super easy. I'm going to need the support group of a lifetime as I do this with Jackson, four more years in this household. I look at the lifespan of your average human and I'm realizing more and more now that the time that each child has at home with their parents before they move on to college is a short part of life. Life, and as rich as you can make the experience for them at home, just I'm looking forward to spending more time with him, you know, in these next four years doing more things as a family together. Y'all are gonna have to pick us all up off the floor when Jackson goes to college. Cairo Caz, I don't know what that's gonna look like. So so yeah, yeah, that's my thing, just prepping for high school. We're gonna be a mess. Gonna be a mess. Did I tell y'all real quick that When we were in Mexico we talked about that. I mentioned it one day, like, damn, like, we have like five more years until Jackson goes to college, and that's gonna be so weird not having jacksone in the house. And then literally, one by one, everybody, I think Cairo started crying, cast started crying. We were at Nickelodeon resort in Mexico, and it was so just like casual, Like damn, I didn't It's gonna be so weird when Jackson's not here in the household. And then I realized what I was saying in Cairo's face, just instantly, just and then one by one, so there were six of us crying. The colder decides crying cause everybody crying, and then the waiter comes back over and he was like everything's okay. You don't like you know, like the pizza.
Speaker 6: Fine, Yes, imagine if everybody started crying because the pizza was discussed.
Speaker 2: I knew we should have went to Italy. This is American cheese. I know where you got this from? America? What's yours?
Speaker 1: Baby?
Speaker 2: Got one?
Speaker 3: Make sure you instill your child with the amount of confidence that makes them unyielding when it comes to pressure.
Speaker 4: They say it again.
Speaker 3: I want instill your child with the type of confidence that makes them unyielding when it comes to pressure. Yes, because peer pressure is the biggest thing in high school, whether it's drugs, sex, alcohol, driving, sports. Make sure that your child is so confident that they can stand ten toes down and say I'm not really rocking with them, and they will never let them morals be in question because they want to fit in that.
Speaker 1: That's my biggest thing.
Speaker 4: One after that that, that's it right there, that's great. Yeah, Mine is make sure your kids stay ten toes down to let people know they ain't rocking with them and their leaders in their little community. Now, this this, this topic was great as we discussed. Now we're preparing Victoria for uh junior high school. She's answering in September, and I think everything that we just discussed is applical for for that as well. It doesn't change a single thing. If anything, it's a head start, you know.
Speaker 2: Being an active parent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm I'm super nervous about her going to junior high school like I thought she was eight.
Speaker 1: Nah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So even like discussing you know, peer pressure and friends and drugs and sex and other outside influences scare the living mess out of me. But what one thing this conversation did let me know is that we're doing what we need to do to make sure that she's prepared, and also preparing ourselves for what may come, because there's never really any anything that you can over prepare for. Life comes at you, and it comes at you fast. But yeah, just making sure that your kid stands ten toes down, it's probably my moment of truth trips.
Speaker 6: I would say freshman year is the foundational time for high school. The most important thing that I learned in high school is that colleges start to count your academics and your after school stuff in your sophomore year. That's when your grades start to count towards your GPA for college.
Speaker 5: So freshman year, you learn.
Speaker 6: How to get the work done, you learn how to schedule, you learn how to navigate high school.
Speaker 5: So let that be let freshman year be your foundation's I like that.
Speaker 2: Ease them into it, all right, y'all. If you have not been following us yet on Patreon, be sure to find us, subscribe and join the party. That's the after party, as well as exclusive Ellis family content. You can find us on social media across the board at ellsver After, and you can find me at Kadeen I am, and.
Speaker 4: I am Davao ellisphoto dot com, and I'm Joshua Underscore Dwayne, and.
Speaker 6: I'm at Tribs The Cool Tribbz the Cool on Everything.
Speaker 3: And if you're listening on Apple Podcasts, be sure to rate reviews, subscribe and download.
Speaker 2: That's right, baby, dead ass.
Speaker 6: Got ellsver After is an iHeartMedia podcast. It's hosted by Kadeen and Deval Ellis. It's produced by Triple Video, production by Joshua Dwaane and Matthew Ellis, video editing by Lashan Rothe.
Speaker 1: In its