Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Now, let's have a look at some of the stocks on the move today here in Europe. I'm Caroline Hepga and I'm joined by Binberg reporter Chloe Malay. Good morning, Chloe, good morning. So we are thinking about a significant pairing in the oil price on perhaps optimism around a resolution of the US's war in Iran. Let's start by thinking about Shell. How our investors reacting to the Iran war headlines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, markets tend to react very strongly to what Trump says, and so when Trump says that warren around may soon come to an end, we get oil prices falling, as you said, and therefore Oil.
Speaker 1: Company is very much in the red.
Speaker 4: So all of the major names within oil and guests are definitely weaker this morning. So Shell, BP, any Repsol, you name it, all of those natos names are definitely struggling a little bit. And those companies that of course really benefited from the disruption in global energy markets over the last month or so. But now that Trump told reporters in the US that the US could.
Speaker 1: Leave around within two to three weeks.
Speaker 4: We're seeing that sort of reversal in sentiment with those oil and gas and majors. And this is, of course, despite the fact that Trump has given some contradicting statements about around recently, so you could very much go back on his word, despite the fact that the strait of horror moves is still largely closed. So the reality on the ground and then how the markets are reacting maybe a little bit different with the snock moves going forward, are really going to depend on what Trump says this evening about around when he addresses the nation.
Speaker 1: So for now, though, it's a day in the red for oil.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in terms of airlines, how is the situation because we know that jet fuel prices are going up and that there's a scarcity, how's the situation affecting love tant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so airlines are up this morning for the same reason that oil is down, which is this optimism of course about.
Speaker 1: The conflict potentially ending soon.
Speaker 4: Those companies, as you mentioned, have really struggled when the war broke out because of those higher jet fuel prices and also because there had been so many flight cancelations, in flight disruptions within those Middle Eastern herbs.
Speaker 1: But now that war might be ending. With seeing all of those names moving.
Speaker 4: Higher, Luftanza, iad Ryanair, Twoy, all of those airlines are in the green this morning because this potential enter the war, it comes as a relief and it might mean that some drastic measures won't need to be implemented. Softanza was just preparing crisis plans to ground some planes in case demand dropped even further because of the Middle East conflict and because of those rising fuel prices and that scarcity in fuel. So you know, Europe is the main import of jet fuel from the Persian Gulf and the supplies from that region account for about half of the ease and the UK's imports of jet fuel. So the conflict getting resolved would be a major boost and a major relief for those companies. And so this explains that some of that optimism in the shares this morning.
Speaker 3: The event will perhaps weirdly also had to read across into home building and those stocks in the UK. So we should also think about Berkley.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the house builder, Yeah, the London house builder said this morning that it would stop buying new land and instead really refocus only on its existing landholdings, and that is because of the text and regulatory burden on residential development made it so that it doesn't really make sense financially in terms of rate of return to purchase new land. So it's a very cautious outlook. And some of it has to do about the geopolitical attentions and that is something that Berkeley has mentioned before, and so this really led shares to tumble this morning, and it really doesn't bode well for the rest of that house building a sector. You know, we've seen the UK mortgage costs rising again because of the conflict in the Middle East that is triggering those fresh and float fears and really impacting sentiment, and that's putting really additional pressure on those companies that have faced, as Berkeley mentioned, increasing taxation and regulation in recent years. So that's tough for Berkeley and also not so great news for Starmer's housing targets.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio live. Catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.