Speaker 1: Goel Cracker. We will see.
Speaker 2: To the gunner.
Speaker 3: Welcome on out a lot of you people, Oh Jordan Walker, a humongous, massive, gargante ginormous apology, including you, Peter Apple, How many times you stupid?
Speaker 2: How many times do that stupid algorithm? And it's three hundred million simulations? Spit out, George Walker.
Speaker 4: Last I checked, you said there were four real contenders, that Jordan Walker's name was not one of them, so you could blame me.
Speaker 5: But I didn't make a model. You made a model.
Speaker 4: Can we talk about the bottle for a second, actually, can we trail the show. We're gonna talk about the bottle list.
Speaker 5: We'll get into that. We'll get into that. Yeah, it's just baseball.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna do a home run derby recap, We're gonna do an All Star Game preview, and then you guys had a great opportunity to hang out with Ryan Howard and Lids. So we're gonna hear that conversation with Ryan Howard at the very head Just Baseball Show, Jack Peter and his model Peyton, before you tell us about MGM, and before you break down the four hundred thousand additional simulations, I asked you to run on the heels of the two hundred thousand. I do have an important thing that I want to tell you right now about tonight. If you are in Philly and you're listening to this or you're watching it right now, we do have a venue change. So tonight's just Baseball watch party in Philadelphia for the All Star Game. It's got a new home. It's still happening, just a new place. Doing to circumstances outside anyone's control, we've moved the event from Other Half bro to Yards Brewing. Yards Brewing is at five hundred Spring Garden Street. Everything else is exactly the same. It's gonna be Baseball trivia obviously with our friends of the Marine Layer Pod, with some awesome prizes five dollars beer specials and two dollars hot dogs all night log. So if you want your five dollars beers and two dollars dogs, just go to Yards Brewing at five hundred Spring Garden Street. We'll see eight Yards Brewing at five hundred spring Garden Street in Philly tonight. So again then you change, but this thing is still on and excited for all of our guys in Philly to see all of you there now tell us about MGM and your model.
Speaker 4: Yeah, by the way too, The event at Yards Brewing is at seven pm Eastern, so at seven pm Eastern to eleven pm Eastern, five dollars beers, trivia prizes. It's going to be a really fun time, so hopefully you know we can meet you there. And of course this episode is brought to you by bet MGM. And if you haven't signed up for bet MGM yet, especially good time to do so. For Tonight's All Star game. Use bonus code just Baseball win signing up and you will get up to a fifth teen hundred dollars new player offer on your first wager with BETMGM.
Speaker 5: Here's how it works.
Speaker 4: You just download the bet mgm app and sign up using bonus code just Baseball. Deposit at least ten bucks, and place your first wager on any game, and if that bet were to lose, you'll receive up to fifteen hundred bucks in bonus bets. Also, they have a nerfew boost for all my nerfe and your fee soldiers. For anybody who doesn't know what a nerfy is, it is no run in the first inning, so as you can see, they gave you better prices on bet MGM for that ner fee for a yr fee. Yes, run in the first inning it was plus one oh five, now it's plus one fifteen. Under half a run in the first inning was minus one thirty three. Now it is minus one fifteen. So for any my nerfee or your fee, soldiers out there, remember to use code just baseball and betmgm and head over to betmgm to place a nerfee or your feet because if you get a better price. So I think now it's time to talk about the model, because I'll.
Speaker 2: Sit now relations give us Jordan Walker man like six percent of them. And I also think that first of all, can we be clear my pick was Kyle Schwarmer. Oh yeah, my My true line for Kyle Schwarmer based on the model was plus.
Speaker 5: Two eighty nine. I bet it. Let me text you made fun of me?
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm now I'm gonna save it real quick. I'm gonna I'm gonna amend to the bridge and then I'm gonna let you continue to go. I will say, I clicked on the model. You texted me the model. I looked at the model. It's a really good model. I was really impressed, so thank you.
Speaker 5: You can't it going.
Speaker 2: I was super impressed.
Speaker 4: I gotta be honest too, it was so fun to make like people are making fun of me. It's like you spent all that time just to lose your bets. I was like, I'll be completely honest with you. Making that model was almost as fun as watching the whole run derby. For me, that's I'm a nerd. I like the numbers. I like modeling things out. So I bet Kyle Schwarmer at plus three forty he closed on bat MGM, which means the closing price. It was basically the betable price five minutes before the derby started at plus two eighty My line was plus two eighty nine, so I saw an edge there. I bet him to make the semi finals. I bet him to make the finals. Both of those hit and then it took one of the most unbelievable finishes that I have seen in a home run derby.
Speaker 5: Ever.
Speaker 4: We're talking a twenty four year old Jordan Walker on the road, and I know, on the road in a home run derby. That's probably the dumbest sentence anybody could say. But if you were in the building, which I was, there was true home field advantage.
Speaker 5: I even tweeted it out.
Speaker 4: I said, this felt like Game seven for Phillies fans, the booze that were raining down on Wilson Contreras, on Jordan Walker, on the entire field. If your name wasn't Bryce Harper or Ale Schwarber, you were getting booed like you were Spencer Strider pitching in Game four of the NLDS against the Phillies at the Bank. They hated you, right. Jordan Walker has never been at a Major League home run derby. He is down three swings with the magenta ball that nobody has hit all night. He went bang, bang, bang, and then he hit it out. And I'm sitting next to a couple of people and they knew that I had bet Kyle Schwarber, and I'm jumping up and down when Jeorde Walker hit that home run because the excitement is just bursting out of me, and they're like, why are you excited? Did you bet Schwarbur? And I was like, oh shit, yeah I did. But I was just so into the derby that I completely forgot about it because that was pure cinema, that was theater, and I know we're gonna go through round one and you know, the semi finals, in the finals.
Speaker 5: But what a derby, What a derby.
Speaker 2: It was a ton of fun. And Buster Only put this out. I mean we were talking about, you know how like the sh a sheer number of total homers could be going down. Yeah, big time clouds on the hot see. So Buster Only he tweeted the exact numbers, and I'll see if I can pull this up right now. But we're talking about about one hundred few or less total home runs this year as opposed to the Derby with the timer, And honestly, I thought that was fine, So we might as well like open the discussion to the format as well, where it was a swing based format. Yeah, Buster put this out. Over the last five years, the home run Derby average with the clock was two hundred and seventy five home runs per event. Last night, over the same amount of time, one hundred and thirty one home runs. So two seventy five was the average compared to one thirty one. We are cutting the sheer number of home runs in more than half. But I found it as enjoyable, to be totally honest with you, because we got to watch ballflight. I didn't like the idea of only the magentle ball giving you the extra swings, And I tweeted out last night like my preferred power ranking of method for the home run Derby, I think ten outs still reigned supreme, like the ten outs that we grew up with, where you know, ten non homers and you're done, and then I probably go to the twenty slash fifteen swings and then I probably go to the timer. The timer was just too much for me, and it was so endurance based, like it's nice to see a thirty two, thirty three year old cop to over witness thing or uh be the runner up, to be honest with you, but I just thought like it was executed very well and the walker drama there finally hitting the magenta ball. To your point, I understand that the structure was not perfect, but I thought the structure was better than the timer of years past.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm curious of your perspective to watching it on TV. I was, you know, at the ballpark at Citizens Bank Park watching it, and I have been in the ballpark for the last four home run Derbies, this is my fifth in a row, and the timer it was exciting because you were seeing home runs hit every five seconds, and it just felt like a merry go round of dingers. But this you could actually enjoy each individual home run, Watch the ballflight, watch them travel into the third deck, then look over at the screen and see the eggs of velocity at one hundred and sixteen miles an hour, or the distance by Junior Cameronaro at four ninety two, or the distance from Jack Caglione at four ninety or Wilson Contreras starting it off with a four hundred and ninety foot home run. Like that was a more enjoyable experience at the ballpark for someone who likes home runs. Now, if your only goal is just for this to go as quickly as possible, you're probably not going to enjoy this iteration of the derby. But I am not one of those who wan to just go as quick as possible and push in as many home runs as possible. I want to enjoy the homers, and that's what this new format gave us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and honestly, I think the outs gave us that as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in five.
Speaker 2: Years or I guess pre you know, pre timing method for five years, so I guess pre covid go back to the pre Covid derby, but yeah, like I think the pre Covid Derby was my favorite derby, but this got trace amounts of that, and it seemed like the swing number being capped was probably the way that they snuck this thing in under three hours. Like I was in bed by eleven after watching this, and that was probably really important to the broadcasters, to the like I guess ballpark operations folks, like there are a lot of people in Major League Baseball and of course the the outlets broadcasting this home run derby that like rely on this thing being around three hours instead of three hours and forty five minutes or four hours, Like that's a long Yeah.
Speaker 5: They could have gone six hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it could be a long time. And like the Derby of yesteryear, like that went a long freaking time. So obviously timing matters, and there's this finite amount of swings which certainly helps. And I did like the idea of trying to play the math game in real time, like, Okay, Walker's got to hit four homers and he's got six swings to do it. Like that was kind of a fun game to play. So no, man, it was exciting. I enjoyed this structure more than the timer, and that's that's where I sit on that, and from watching on television, I'm with you. I just wanted to watch the ballfly, and I got to watch the ball fly. It was great. So yeah, I mean you got to watch it in ballpark. I got to watch it on TV and it was just fun to see those things sail and like you can actually appreciate a junior four hundred and eighty seven foot home run. So we'll go round by round real quick, and then we'll give you our All Star Game preview and you'll hear from Ryan Howard as well. Great appearance with Liz. Let's start with round one here, because it was interesting round one and there were some disappointments for sure, but Wilson Contrera set the tone as the first to go, man and shout out Peyton for grabbing these highlights. And I know he was up there phone out pretty much at all times. And he grabbed the four hundred and ninety foot bomb. You could see the ball flight and then he immediately had eyes on the stat cast metrics as well. One fifteen on the bat and four hundred and ninety feet out to left center for Wilson to me in the first round, Wilson put up an insane round and then I thought Walker was as impressive, to be honest with you, but Wilson Gaturuz was the one that was like, holy smokes, I was unfamiliar with your game.
Speaker 4: Wilson gatures felt more impressive because it was less likely for him to put on a performance like that. Like we can't forget he was at the bottom of the betting odds. Nobody really gave him a chance. Right, Citizens Bank Park generally favors left handed power bats. You got an older guy who haven't really seen in the derby, and he's not like he's one of the league leaders in homers, but what he is one of the league leaders in is home runs over four hundred feet per ballpark pal so clearly coming in it almost looked like he was swinging with a little bit of a chip on his shoulder. He was like, nobody's picking me, nobody cares about me. And then the booze start coming down, and you know, Wilson cantraz right, how many quote unquote brawls And I'm using quotations because we don't actually ever get real brawls in Major League Baseball anymore. But he's I think he's had six skirmishes. The guy gets fired up. So we should have forecasted that Wilson catreros with the booze. It would have fed him a little bit more energy.
Speaker 2: Playing the villain.
Speaker 5: Yeah, really good at playing the villain.
Speaker 4: And it was more entertaining because it was less likely to happen than Jordan Walker. Like, going into it, we knew that Jordan Walker was an absolute behemoth, So it didn't surprise me that Jordan Walker hit thirteen homers in the first round and put on a show. But wilsonetart doing that and then hitting the ball four ninety and doing it first made it more impressive in the moment. But then you're watching Jordan Walker hit these one hundred and seventeen mile hour pismissiles that barely get off the ground but just flying into the stands.
Speaker 5: They were both incredible.
Speaker 2: There were a couple of laser being performances in that first round, and really the entire night Walker was one. Schwarber was another. I mean Schwarber was hitting some balls and I was like, that's gonna be a wallbanger, and he did hit a couple of wallbangers, but some just kept on sailing and it was insane. With Wilson, I also think it's funny. You know, a lot of people want to call him a potstir because of what he does on field, absolutely, but the thing that trump's all of it to me is transactionally. What he did, like coming up with the Cubs, having a ring with the Cubs, playing out his pre Arbn Arbiers with the Cubs, and then signing with Saint Louis have been everything you need to know about Wilson. Gaturis wanted to be a potstar and it's fun, man Like, it's fun having that drama in the game, no doubt about it. In terms of underwhelming performances, Rice jumps out. It was unfortunately kind of a dud from Ben Rice and then Kaglione. Man, he had a tape measure shot. But I was just expecting a little bit more from CAGs, murriak Kami. I guess I was expecting more from but to be honest, it was Rice and CAGs that I, you know, jumped out to me. It's like I kind of wish there was more meat on the bone here.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Rice was the most disappointing, and it marks two home run Derbys in a row that a player on the Yankees just curled up and did do much. You hadjeeshis them with three home runs, and then the following year you got bed Rice with five home runs, which was the lowest in the first round of any player, so not exactly ideal for the Yankees. I was actually more disappointed with Murk Commie than Jack Haglion, I think because Jack Haglion at least gave us a four hundred and ninety foot homer. Yeah, Kaglione hit some of the hardest base balls in the derby. Not all of them left the park, but laser beams. Murk Kami didn't. And again, from my vantage point, you were watching on TV. You tell me if I was wrong, it didn't look like he was swinging as heart as he should have been. Like especially watching Wilson and then watching Jordan Walker, and then watching Tags and then watching Murakami. I just felt like he wasn't as aggressive. Maybe it was due to the injury. Maybe I overlooked that when I thought potentially he'd be fresher he also like rolled over some. He also hit some like pop up foul balls like his outs were terrible, right like Tags at least was nailing balls off the wall or like two hopping the wall. At one point fifteen, it felt like mura Kami fouled one off. So yeah, even though Murakami I think totaled one more homer than CAGs, I thought CAGs performance was a little bit better from my vantage point. Maybe I was wrong about him swinging hard. That's just how it looked for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Murray COMMI is also not a guy that's gonna look like he swings as hard as the other guys. I think. I think it's an effortless swing. And you know he he likes stroking it clear clearly. But but I've seen him.
Speaker 4: Ordering games like I've seen him swing heart when he crushes homers, it looks.
Speaker 2: Like but it's a lot of like, it's a lot of wrist long drive like it looks like he's pulling out the driver and letting it eat.
Speaker 4: And and that's watching him on TV versus now I'm in the ballpark. That's why I'm curious your thoughts, Like, if you don't think he wasn't swinging hard then.
Speaker 2: It looked it looked pretty normal to me. I think it was just like kind of an underwhelming round. To be honest, like I left that, I was like, I was kind of wishing for more, and obviously I was wishing for more. Kevin Arrow put on enough of a show in the first round. Junior swinging to baseball batman, There's there's nothing like Junior swinging a bat. And Peyton has this video here at JUNI you're going for eighty seven, right, it was forty seven and it was one hundred and ten off the bat. He is so much fun man. And I was chatting with actually one of the trainers with the Dominican Republic side, Jose Alvarez, who's one of the trainers with the Marlins, and I asked him about geting to work with Junior during the World Baseball Classic. He said, Dude, no one has as effortless batspeed as him on every single swing in Major League Baseball. It is a joy to watch this guy swing a baseball bat. And the fact that it always looks like this man like that's his batting practice. To be honest with you, it's not like that was up to notch. He does that. If you ever have the opportunity to see the Rays on the road or at the Trump get there early, watch this guy take batting practice, because it is an unforgettable experience. People that were there two hours before the World Baseball Classic for a dr game, they know what I'm talking about. People that have seen him swing in batting practice, they know what I'm talking about. That was par for the course from Junior, and he's gonna put it together at some point. I think he wins it next year or the year after or the year after. He should have an open invitation to participate whenever he wants, because he's going to put up one of those like Josh Hamilton a Jason performances some points him.
Speaker 4: I agree, he's awesome. Kind of reminds me of Mena Ramirez of this swing, effortless bat speed and he's just getting that launch like it's just a perfectly tailored swing to hit dingers. And his ability to backsman baseballs is a sentence I've said on the show fifty thousand times and I'll continue to say it because it's different and I want to bring up things that are different, and Junior Camvanaro was different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Harper was a little too little, too late.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can appreciate he got close.
Speaker 2: He did get close. He said he's retiring from the derby. I don't blame him.
Speaker 5: Yeah a lot.
Speaker 4: Remember he won the derby back of twenty eighteen, Like we're almost a decade removed from him winning a derby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's why I appreciate the effort and appreciate him trying to show out for the fine folks of Philly.
Speaker 5: Shout out.
Speaker 4: The model told me to bet him to get bouts to the first But there you go. I have now officially gone over all of my winners. I lost on Caags, I lost on Murakami, ended up in the red, but if Schwarber did win, I would have been in the green.
Speaker 2: I had fun love Model semi final. The Wilson Contreras battle with Schwarber was really fun, really fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Wilson.
Speaker 4: Wilson again, the booze, the booze coming down. It was like he was just playing into that kind of villain attitude and it was just so much fun. But it's so funny the second round. I don't know what were your major takeaways about the second round.
Speaker 2: No, I mean Wilson Schwarber. The back and forth was interesting, and then caman Aro had an underwhelming semifinal round. He was really frustrated. You could kind of see him, like, you know, wincing on the side of his mouth, like not in pain, just like damn, I should have done better. And Walker made him pay, and uh, you know, Schwarber turned it on too, So credit to Kyle.
Speaker 4: Because that, Yeah, that was kind of my takeaway about the second round, Like I felt like that was if there was a quote unquote worst part of the Home Run Derby, it was the second round because Contres really didn't put up much of a fight cut booed, and then Jordan Walker just kind of moved on. Yeah, or who did no, Sorry, Joe Walker beat Cam Arrow Junior. Cameron Aro didn't put on much of a show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John Walker was like all right, no problem, and then Schwarber put on a show and Wilson made it tight at the very end and he.
Speaker 5: Exactly that was the fun part. But then we get to the final.
Speaker 2: Then you get to the final, and Kyle Schwarber's performance in the final is Marcus Page in the twenty sixteen National Championship adjacent. I think it was twenty sixteen, might have been a little bit later. Marcus Page in North Carolina hit this weird shot, put off his shoulder three pointer from the wing. That's the best shot in college basketball history that nobody remembers because what happened five seconds later, Chris Jenkins hits a buzzer beater to win the national championship for Villanova. So Kyle Schwarber just put up his Marcus Page performance and Jordan Walker happen to be Chris Jenkins.
Speaker 4: Watching the crowd get into Schwarber's final round was such a cool experience because I mean, they're just cheering him on, right, But in between homers, music starts playing in the stadium and he's going like this to the crowd, putting his arm up and people start going wild, and he's just hitting these majestic homers that are sailing into the night. Form my vantage point and it was just a beautiful round. And I texted our discord and I say, if Jordan Walker wins, you just got to tip the cap because that was a phenomenal round at the end. But then Jordan Walker gets to eight and he's only got the magenta ball left.
Speaker 5: And it's funny.
Speaker 4: Arm and I were talking about the magenta ball because he tweeted out that hitters are over twenty five against the magenta ball with twelve strikeouts. Not exactly, but they weren't hitting the magenta ball all night. And I kind of understand why. You're seeing the same white baseball get hurled in the middle of the zone and then automatically they throw like this pomegranate colored baseball.
Speaker 5: In the middle of his zone.
Speaker 4: It could look a little weird, especially with the red kind of from the Phillies fan at the back, So I understand why. So I'm thinking, no way he's going to hit four in a row to win while he's getting booted and he's twenty four years old, Like, there's got to be a little bit of nerves there, right, This is probably right. Jordan Walker hasn't been in the playoffs, he didn't play in the College World Series or anything like. This had to be one of the more nervous moments of his life. And if he won the home run Derby he would make a million dollars. He's only making eight hundred thousand dollars, So the nerves had to be high, but he didn't show him and he went.
Speaker 5: Bang bang, bang bang.
Speaker 4: For the win and the final homer. No doubt about it, No doubt about it. That was one of the best endings to a Derby. I think I've ever seen. It might be the best ending to a Derby.
Speaker 5: Derby.
Speaker 4: It felt like a come from behind win in the ninth too. Yeah, what a World's Series game or something. That was the energy that was in the stadium, but then that energy just got sucked out.
Speaker 2: The only ending that comes close, I think. Remember Joanna Sespeez when he went on an absolute tear to end his Derby that was like twenty eighteen or twenty nineteen. I want to say, I don't I don't remember exactly what year it was. But Cespez put on an absolute click at the end of his Derby. But Jordan Walker, like, there were a couple of subplots there that I was just thinking about. Number One, the kind of show me the money thing that he was doing, Like he clearly knew what was at financially, and I love that he's gonna get a million bucks for this. Number Two. Lars Newt bar in the interview that he did in the Cardinal clubhouse a couple of days ago, resurfaced last night, him talking about the entire clubhouse getting emotional for Jordan Walker getting the All Star invite, getting the Derby invite, because he knows what that twenty four year old has been through already in his career. He was becoming damage goods like Walker and Volpi were in the same breath where it's like something's got to change is their career, you know, kind of like I guess, like tailing off right now before they even got going. And Jordan Walker needed twenty six. He needed it. And Jordan Walker is having twenty six. This is his year right now? Is he still leading Major League Baseball on RBIs He is having an insanely strong season. And Jordan Walker again, like you can't help but feel good for the guy. He mentioned how nervous he was. He said he choose on the gum to make him nervous or to kind of calm his nerves. The other thing, I've never seen a more composed interview from a player's parent before than his dad after the Derby. Dude, his dad, where you've got like the Mike blairing throughout Citizens Bank Park and know that you're talking on national television, on international television. That was like the best interview of a parent that I've ever seen, And it was just amazing to get all of those thoughts in there, and Laurrence Shahati did a great job with it. And it's just it's so easy to root for Jordan Walker. Man, like, he's got a lifetime fan in me, to be honest with him, one.
Speaker 4: Hundred percent, And I feel like, what shouldn't go n notice is the fact that he had eleven home runs from twenty twenty four to twenty twenty five with an OPS that sat around six hundred, and this year he's hitting two ninety four three fifty four five point thirty two for an eight eighty six OPS, twenty two homers, thirteen steals, and he is pacing major League Baseball in RBIs that said by the break and he's a big reason why the Cardinals have found so much success this year, because again people left them for dead sixty eight and a half win total, and now they're what four or five six games over five hundred by the break and they have this young star in Jordan Walker. It's hard not to be incredibly happy for him. Considering you're so right. If twenty twenty six went wrong for Jordan Walker, understanding that he's still twenty four years old, but going into twenty twenty seven, if it was much of the same of a six hundred ops and not even sniffing double digit homers, is he traded? Like what happens to that version of George Walker versus this year where he's done a complete one eighty and then just the cherry on top is winning the home run Derby and winning it in style.
Speaker 2: It's amazing to have the cardinal conversation at the All Star break because Weatherholt just got a nine figure contract extension. Walker looks like he could be getting a nine figure contract extension. Herrera is an All Star along with Jordan Walker, Mason Wins the best defensive shortstop in Major League Baseball. Alec Burlison's a bona fide stud. There's a lot to love in Saint Louis right now in Jordan Walker is your twenty twenty six home run Derby champ. We're going to get to the All Star Game and a quick preview on that in a moment, but before that, Peanuts.
Speaker 6: Just Baseball's number one ranked peanut prospect is none other than the Hampton Farms in shell peanut hit tool plus plus that crack of the shell is elite power easy plus seven grams of protein per serving makeup great source of fiber in America's number one in shell brand. This is a five tool snack future value eighty grade. Get the top peanut prospect in the produce aisle or twenty five percent off at Hamptonfarms dot com with code just Baseball. That's one word, just baseball for twenty five percent off at Hamptonfarms dot com.
Speaker 2: Love me Somehamptons, Yeah, of course. Man, All right, time to talk about the All Star Game. I will let you guide us through a preview of the twenty twenty six MLB All Star Game. I will tell you the starting pitching matchup today, Christopher Sanchez for the National League against Dylan Ceese of the American League. And if you want, I could do a dramatic reading of the lineups. Who want that?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: For the American League? Leading off in centerfield, Mickey Mantle two point zero, mister Mike Trout. I'm not going to do a dramatic reading Yourdn Alvarez bet second, he is the dh Shay Langeleiers the three hitting catcher, Junior Caman arrowbats clean up and plays third base. Bobby wit Junior the five hitting shortstop, Cody Bellinger hitting sixth in right field, ben Rice bet seventh this at first base. Eight hitting left fielder is Riley Green, and Ernie Clement, the top vote getter in the American League that's ninth in plays second base for the National League. Kyle Schwarberg gonna lead things off. He is the designated hitter. Juan Soto bet second in plays left field. Freddie Freeman hits third and plays first base. C J Abrams is the cleanup man in the shortstop. Max Muntsey hits fifth, then place third, Ozzie Alby's bet sixth, then play second base. Brandon Marsh shitting seventh and playing rights batting eighth in playing center field is Andy Pahes and then Drake Baldwin is the nine hitting catcher for Christopher Sanchez. This is a very fun starting lineup. Excited to see all the reserves get in too. I don't have very many previews for you, but you said you've got some nuggets, so nugget us up.
Speaker 5: I do have some nuggets.
Speaker 4: And podcast ped put the graphics on the screen of those lineups, and I think that you know, if you've been watching even a second of Major League baseball, you know that the American League has been garbage this season. There are five teams above five hundred in the American League. It has been a rough year. And if you look at the National League reserves, if you look at their bullpen, if you look at their depth, there is no doubt about it. The National League should win the All Star Game. But it's an ext mission game. Anything could happen. And when you look at both starting lineups and you look at the numbers this season, right, we like to use WRC plus, where one hundred is league average and it's park adjusted, and of course we like to use OPS. The American League starting lineup for how bad the American League is has a one thirty nine WRC plus and an OPS that's about twenty points higher than the National League starting lineup. But what makes the National League so damn good is how much better the reserves and the bullpen is. So I made a bet, and I took the American League through the first five innings on the money line at about plus one fifteen, and the reason I did that was I feel like the National League is rightfully the favorite. But when we're looking when we're looking at the starting lineups, where the first the starting lineups, the guys in there are going to get two abs versus the reserves, we're only going to get one. And we see a lot of the starting pitchers early when you compare Dylan Ceese and Christopher Sanchez, both our second and side young odds in their respective leagues. But Sanchez has run into a couple of issues recently. Right we're looking at back to back tough starts nine to five eight ERA over his last two starts. Well, Dylan Ceeze is on a fifteen inning scoreless streak. So I prefer to take the hotter pitcher, and also the American League starting lineup the pretty damn good against left handed pitching one forty WRC plus as an offense with an eight sixty seven OPS against lefties. Two guys I'm keying in on Shay lang Lears and Junior Cameronaro. Now, lang Lears has kind of slowed down a little bit going into the break. Junior Camenaro really hasn't right. He's hit I think he hit five home runs in his final ten games you know before, So Junior Cameronaro is my MVP pick of this game. I think that the American League can take advance of the National League, where the pitching is a little bit weaker. Obviously, Chris Sale is going to come in and blow gas. He's gonna be awesome. But then you have like Eduardo Rodriguez, you have Foster Griffin, you have Justin Robleski. All deserve it all Stars, but not pictures that you're necessarily afraid of when you go with Dylan Cees, and you go with Parker Messek, and you go with Eirasmussen. I do think that the American League could have the edge early late, not so sure, but if they build a lead and their bullpen arms like Brian Baker and the role as Chapman and others can come in, and when Mason Miller comes in for the National League or Joan Duran comes in for the National League, the American League actually has a lead by then, so maybe they could win it. So I'm going to take the American League to win in this exhibition, considering they've also won ten of the last twelve All Star games, which is nuts the full record of this exhibition event, and it is important to remember this is an exhibition of one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that you keep using that word because like we are to preview an exhibition game, and like nothing really matters.
Speaker 5: I'm trying my best here.
Speaker 4: I do just enjoy looking at the numbers and looking at the matchups that I'm giving you kind of my best shot at this.
Speaker 2: But of course, and it's such a and it's such a beating a dead horse take. But if this still decided home field advantage in the World Series, life would be way better.
Speaker 5: I wish it did.
Speaker 2: Like life was not way better when this actually mattered.
Speaker 4: I know now it doesn't even matter either, So looking at matchups, obviously these guys aren't just.
Speaker 5: Going to.
Speaker 4: Take it easy completely. They want to get hits in the All Star Game. So yeah, I'm going to take the American League through the first five innings of plus one fifteen. And I sprinkled on Junior Camenaro to win the MVP. I think he disappointed everybody at the derby, even though he had an awesome first round. But I know he you know, had a lot of people betting on him to win. A lot of people picking him to win, and he didn't, and he didn't even make it to the finals. But I think this is an opportunity where he's going to face a lot of lefties early. With his one eighty five WRC plus against lefties this year, sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves the yard this game. So I like the Ale to win, and I like Junior Cameronaro to win the MVP. But I did find it interesting because everyone assumes that the National League is just gonna beat the living shit out of the American League, but the starting lineups, Like, were you a little bit surprised to see that cumulatively the American League has a better starting lineup by the numbers so far this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like there are a whole bunch of guys that are not in this lineup for the National League, like Pete Crow Armstrong is gonna come off the bench, Auto is gonna come off the bench, Like some of the best players in Major League Baseball are coming off the bench for the National League. So for sure, to your point, like the reserve depth is crazy, and I think that the National League could put up like a big fight late but you're thinking makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just think that the ALE is gonna get a lead, do they hold it?
Speaker 5: Probably not.
Speaker 4: Ash League's probably gonna come back, which again I think is fun because I think that'll make the ulcer game more fun. If the American League can get a lead and then the National League mount to comeback. That's more entertaining than just the National League beating the shit out of the American League. And you turn off the game forty five minutes in because you're like, this is an exhibition to get exhibition event, and the National League's up five zero the third, It's like, ah, right, that was fun. But I really do think this is going to be competitive, and that's all I wanted to say, And that's why I'll be watching.
Speaker 2: Cool. Yeah, I will be watching as well. We are going to hear from Ryan Howard. It was great to see that you guys got the chance to hang out with him a little bit at the LIDS event in Philadelphia. Great turnout at that LIDS event in Philly on what Sunday morning? Is that Sunday or Monday? This days are running bag.
Speaker 4: This is our sixth All Star event, or maybe it's the fifth. I don't know, but we're just so lucky to do this, and we were so lucky to be able to speak with Ryan Howard, like these events, everybody coming out, you know, people coming up to us at the stadium saying hello, taking pictures, like we're so lucky.
Speaker 5: We are so lucky, And I just.
Speaker 4: Want to thank everybody for coming out to that LIDS event and hopefully we can see you again at Yards Brewing at seven pm Eastern for our All Star event watch party trivia five dollars beers with the Marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 4: It's going to be a ton of fun. But just want a special shout out to our audience because without them, we just wouldn't be here. And I just I make sure to remember that every single time I'm here, like how lucky we are to be able to talk baseball with our friends and get the support from our incredible audience. So I just special shout out to the audience, like without you, guys, we wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Be here one hundred percent. Two things that we got to do before Ryan Howard. Number one one more reminder that again it's at Yards Brewing tonight, not Other Half Brewing again due to circumstances outside anybody's control. We've moved the All Star the All Star watch party that Just Baseball is hosting from Other Half Brewing to Yards Brewing and Yards Brewing address is at five hundred Spring Gardens Street again. Everything else exactly the same, Baseball trivia with awesome prizes, five dollar beer specials, dollar hot dogs all night long. Yard's Brewing at five hundred Spring Garden Street in Philadelphia. Before Ryan Howard, one more quick word from Peanuts.
Speaker 4: Imagine you take your seat at the ballpark, the smell of fresh cut grass and ice, cold beer, peanuts, and the promise of three hours of uninterrupted baseball. What if you could bring the ballpark home to you with Hampton Farms Peanuts. You can, America's number one in shell brand can be found in your local produce aisle, or twenty five percent off at Hamptonfarms dot com with code just Baseball. Bring the ballpark home to you with Hampton Farms Peanuts.
Speaker 6: Please legend, Ryan Howard, the All Star Game at the Bank.
Speaker 7: It's been a while.
Speaker 8: If we kind of feel like we've been waiting for this, How awesome is it to see the Bank? You know, just having such a special event.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's amazing. You know, I'm excited for the city. I'm excited for the organization. I'm excited for everybody else, all the fans that are coming from all over to be able to experience the pageantry of what Philadelphia can bring to the table and be able to to experience Citizens Bank Park and all that it brings to the table.
Speaker 8: You've been able to experience that obviously with the World Series team, but just your performance and how the city has embraced you just being back here for.
Speaker 7: An event like this.
Speaker 8: How much do you just feel that that love from the Philly fan base and what's different about Philly fans.
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 7: Man, you know, it's amazing. Would A love to have something like this when I was playing, I think the closest thing that I got to it was obviously going to the and playing in the All Star Game in two thousand and nine in Saint Louis, my hometown. But you know, this is a This is a strong second right there, and I'll take it because I'm living kind of vicariously through it to where it's I'm able to kind of come around and do events like this and still be able to represent the game and do all that good stuff. So, you know, I think for the fans, the fans have shown up and shown out. I mean, I think with everything that's going on in the All Start Village and just all the different places people are excited in, they're here and man, it's it's been great for Philadelphia.
Speaker 8: You put on a show in the derby, obviously home run Derby champion and got s wherever we got Harper in this one, it's gonna be a lot of fun. I want to start with what advice you would have for them, because this is the first year where we're closest to the original rules. I feel like that we've been in a while. It's still different, but it's the closest we've been from when you won the Derby. If you were to give Schwarber or Harper any advice, and they're obviously Harper's done it anything that you and Shober as well, but anything that you would have for them.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think the biggest thing now with a little bit of the rule change, kind of getting back to where it's like the swings, is you get to take your time a little bit more so taking you know, you get to take pitches and kind of I think pace yourself just a little bit, So that would be the biggest thing, is just you don't have to swing at every pitch and just kind of pace yourself in between, maybe take take a pitch, take two pitches or something like that.
Speaker 8: I always felt like it was kind of a silly belief that people used to say, Oh, like the derby can mess you up for the second half. You went on to win the Derby and then have the best stretch of your major league baseball career. I think twenty eight homers in fifty four games. What was it after the derby that just had you just clicking like that? Do you remember what it was like to just have that stretch.
Speaker 7: I think the biggest thing for me was I never looked to change my swing in the dirty. I just tried to go out and take the same swing I normally took during batting practice and just you know, try to add a little extra adrenal into it whatnot. But then, yeah, I mean I think actually they were saying I actually started pulling the ball a little bit more after the Derby and hit more home runs to right field. But yeah, I mean I really just try to just stay within my approach and not change too much. I think sometimes guys will change their swing and start trying to loop and try to lift the ball and all that kind of stuff, and then it kind of throws them off a little bit. So I think the biggest key is just not changing anything that you really do. It's just taking your normal natural point.
Speaker 8: I want to ask you, just with you're obviously so dialed into the game today as well, if you wanted to build your perfect hitter, what would that look like?
Speaker 7: Oh, man, perfect hitter? I would say, Wow, I would have the consistence see and contact of like of Ariahs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, with the power.
Speaker 7: Of a judge and the speed of and O.
Speaker 8: Tmy that don't play, I think that'll be all right. And then is there a guy that stands out to approach wise the way they control the abs? But there's a guy that stands out to approach wise like the way they control their abs?
Speaker 7: You know, I would say, I would probably say like Ariahs. And then but but you also got to look at it too with like judge because they he has such a great eye. I think at the plate too, like it's it's it's interesting his approach from over the last few years to where when he first came in, it was kind of like, you know, I said the same thing about like John Carlo Stanton when he first came in. I was like, Man, when this kid figures it out, he's gonna be a monster. And it was the same thing with Judge when he came man and then he started making those adjustments and then started kind of controlling. He had the abs, getting the pitches that he wanted, and then all of a sudden it was just like explosion.
Speaker 8: One of the more unique aspects I think of, like your splits against an individual pitcher you crushed Johann Tantana. Left on left matchups are hard enough, absolutely demolishing.
Speaker 2: I think it was four homers.
Speaker 8: If I have that right against Johan, how were you able to have so much success against the guy that won is just starty, a tough left on left matchup, and then one of the best to ever do it.
Speaker 7: You know, I just felt like I saw him really well. One of the things for me was that Johan stood on the third base side of the rubber, so for a lefty, I could see his arm sooner, and then I allowed me to kind of pick up the ball and just just stayed on him. And I knew his best pitch was his change up, and he wasn't afraid to throw it lefty lefty, So I really just tried to stay looking straight, so like fastball, change up against him and then yeah, man, it was just lucky enough get some good pitches to hit and didn't miss him. Who is the guy on the other side of that, you the least comfortable in the box? I wouldn't say I was. I was never uncomfortable against anybody, but like a tough like bastard. Ab was always Max Sureser. I mean he would just continue to come at you, like, hit you with all different kind of pitches, any pitch in any count didn't back down. Even if you hit it, smacked it off the wall, he'd come right back at you the next a B and uh, you know. He was always a tough one. Last one. For your favorite place to hit in your career, Oh, favorite place to hit, I'd probably say Atlanta. Yeah, the Braves.
Speaker 5: I loved.
Speaker 7: I loved going to Atlanta. Weather was always great, the actually the staff was great. The security team was always cool with the security team down there. But just I just always enjoyed Atlanta. And the reason being too is because the Braves were that team, like all throughout the nineties, they were they were the team to beat, and I knew if we were going to be able to go and do some stuff, we had to get through those guys. So I just always felt like I turned it up a notch against against the Braves. Appreciate it, thanks for the time. Thank you.
Speaker 4: So as a champion yourself, what does Brian Howard want the Phillies to do at the deadline in order to win their first World here since two thousand and eight?
Speaker 7: M I mean, I think what they need to do. Look, you can never have enough arms in your bullplan. You can always bolster your bullpen up. I mean, right now, the team is playing well. I mean you could probably use a right handed bat to kind of mix into the lineup, but you know, I don't. There's not really anybody right now that sticks out to me. And a team's been playing very well. So right now, going through the All Star break, you kind of let the guys get rested up. You come back out after All Star break and you see how you know, if you can continue that momentum. I think if you can continue that momentum and the chemistry is right. I think you just keep rolling and then if there is something that pops up in terms of a good right handed bat, I think you may maybe look to add that to the lineup.
Speaker 5: Love it
Speaker 2: Faaaa