Speaker 1: Scrubbing In with Becca Tilly and Tanya rad and iHeartRadio and two time People's Choice Award winning podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello everybody, we are scrubbing in. We have my favorite guest, Yes, favorite guest in the building.
Speaker 1: She is She needs no introduction, but let's give her the guest honors.
Speaker 3: She's a pop artist, she's an actress, she's an author, she's an LGBTQ plus advocate, and she is a director of a first ever feature film with focused features.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 3: Welcome my fiance Hailey Kyoka.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, fame, what a beautiful intro. Welcome back, Thank you so much. I haven't seen you guys in so long.
Speaker 3: We have so much to talk about, and I feel obviously so much pride for the reason of why you're here.
Speaker 2: But I just want to go ahead.
Speaker 3: And say that ticket sales are on sale for girls like girls in theaters right now, right now.
Speaker 2: So go get your tickets before you listen to our also or we get.
Speaker 1: Yes, everybody, take a pause, don't worry, want to take here. When you get back, go buy your tickets. Buy a couple extra seats so that you can bring some extra frame.
Speaker 2: Absolutely make a plan. Sell the theaters out. Yes, I know the scrubbers can do it. I believe in the scrubbers me too. I'm grateful for them, I say, grateful. Great, I'm grateful for them. I'm tired, grateful. I don't know why you're tired. You don't do anything. I don't do anything. I want to talk about.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm so close to you and I know the ins and the outs and everything.
Speaker 2: In between, but I want to talk about what you're.
Speaker 3: Feeling right now, Like knowing that ticket sales are on sale for your movie that you your first movie that you directed, Like what are you feeling?
Speaker 4: It's so crazy, It's so surreal, Like I mean, I don't know, you just buy tickets growing up going to see movies, so to know, like you can go on Fandego or wherever and just like see girls like girls there and buy your ticket. And I mean, it's been a ten year journey, so it's like such a surreal feeling and I'm trying to stay present, but it's also you know, nerve wracking but exciting and yeah, I can't believe it's finally here, Like I mean, back and Beck has been on this journey for eight years, with me, and so the fact that the tickets are on sale now is it's insane.
Speaker 2: I know, we're weally, I got pinch me moment. We're in it. You're in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like T minus whatever x amount under thirty days.
Speaker 2: This is it, Like, this is.
Speaker 4: The moment that we've been waiting for. And you know, hopefully the community and my friends and allies.
Speaker 2: Show up because I'm super proud of this film. You should be in time. I got to see the movie first of all, and yeah it was so we've got some viewership in the building. First of all.
Speaker 1: I also like, I don't know the strategy the timing of you releasing it in June. If that what the strategy was, I think it just worked out that way. Oh well, it's like perfect because I feel like this movie is like this summer. It's like it's just the vibe is like summer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well the movie is set in summer, so it's definitely giving summer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank god, So I've done my job. Yeah, like it's not giving winter, it's giving summer.
Speaker 1: No, Like, if you if you came out with this in January, I'm going to be all confused.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like really excellent timing. Thank you. Yeah, very well Voe thought out.
Speaker 1: But like when we went to go see it, like it's so crazy because your name is all over it, like you did everything, you did everything for this movie. And I was like so crazy because I'm like watching all the like all the credits go and it's like this by Haley Kyoko, Story by Haley Kyoko, Director by Haley, and I'll like, yeah, dang, Like that's usually a bunch like a bunch of other people, and when you did all of it, well, I've.
Speaker 4: Been kind of like, I mean, listen, it took an absolute team to make this happen. Yes, it wasn't just on my own, but I kind I'm like the baton r and like I feel like I've been passed, you know, like in those Olympic relay races and you passed the baton to the next person, and like throughout this whole journey, I have been the baton from twenty fifteen to twenty twenty six, and I'm kind of the connected thread of it because someone has to be pushing and fighting to get this movie made. And if you're not doing it, then who else will you know?
Speaker 2: If not you, who that's good, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: But that's kind of what I want to talk about first, is like how many no's did you get before? I mean, we're all talking about the movies coming out, like it's here, it's coming, it's so exciting, but like, how many nos did you have to hear before you got the one yes?
Speaker 2: I mean so many nos, like hundreds of no's. You know what kept you going?
Speaker 4: I was telling Beca like there was this this feeling in my body that I just I had to keep going, like I didn't feel like I.
Speaker 2: Had a choice because Girls Like Girls.
Speaker 4: When I came out at twenty fifteen, was so important for not only myself but for my community, and it was breaking stereotypes and barriers, and I felt like if I gave up, this story would not be told, or if it was going to be told, it was going to be told in twenty.
Speaker 2: Years or thirty years.
Speaker 4: And so that just the drive of thinking about my fans and the people out there, Like you think about a nine year old, I've had a night a twenty year old come up to me saying I was nine when I watched the Girls Side Girls music video, and now I'm twenty years old, out and proud and getting to go see the film in theaters with my friends, Like that is like totally why I never gave up. But yeah, I mean it was years and years of like how do you get a movie made? And like, well, you have to write a script and you have to develop the story and what does that look like? And then you know you're writing the script, and then it's like, okay, what is it going to cost to make this? And then you're like editing the script of figuring out how to execute a film for the budget that you may or may not have, and then you're just excellent, but thank you so much. And then you know and then you have the deck and then you go out and you pitch to all the different studios and they all say no, and they're like.
Speaker 2: But we care about queer stories.
Speaker 4: And it's like, well, why aren't you uplifting this one? But Focus Features raised their hand in twenty twenty and the movie was with another production company at the time and that fell through, and so there were so many iterations where I was like, I mean, I've celebrated with my family so many times, like we did it, the movie's happening, and then it falls apart, and you're starting from scratch all over again. And you're also just like as a first time filmmaker, you're having to convince people to invest their money into you and to believe that you can execute it well and that.
Speaker 2: People will show up for your story.
Speaker 4: And so a lot of the journey has been just convincing people that this story deserves to have a platform and to exist, and that we haven't had representation like this for our community in a very long time, or if we do, it's once every twenty years, and it shouldn't be like that, Like we should have representation all the time every year.
Speaker 1: I just have to say, like that is like serious perseverance and like I don't know if tenacity is the right word, yeah, because like I just like you hear just like rejection, like I when you hear nos so much to keep being able to push through that and keep going and have so much faith and hope and like in you and what you can produce and what you can like bring is like really admirable.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 4: It definitely I'm not like religious, but it definitely challenged me to have faith in the fact that that it was going to work out eventually and then I like, listen.
Speaker 2: I had yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I had tons of moments where I'm screaming, crying, like just devastated, feeling so alone and trapped and like on my own journey. And so that was like an extremely isolating experience trying to get this film made. But then the tides kind of turned when you know, the other production company kind of dropped out and then Mark Platt Productions raised their hand. You don't know Mark Platt, He's produced Wicked and.
Speaker 5: So small these really small films projects, and you know, he believed in the story and his team believed in the story, and it worked out with them and focused features to kind of come together and and cheer me on and support this project.
Speaker 2: And so that's when it was a really interesting turn.
Speaker 4: I remember talking back about it where I was like, oh my gosh, I actually feel supported and I think this actually might happen.
Speaker 2: Like the energy really.
Speaker 4: Shifted, because before it was just like constant rejection, constant knows, you know, budgeting it out for a certain city and then that falling through and trying to go shoot it, and then there's like a fire and then there's the pandemic, and there's one thing after a next, and finally when Mark Platten Focus came together, I was like, oh, this might actually happen. Like this, the energy shifts and you realize, like when things aren't working and you're banging down the doors, like sometimes you want to keep banging on that door, but sometimes those doors are broken, Like sometimes those door you should your energy. You actually have to completely shift and go to an entirely different building and start knocking on those doors, and then a door start and then a door opens.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've seen you know, I have said this so many times. I don't I have a knockin' I don't know anyone who has worked on something like this for ten years and just person like had the goal to get it done and got it done. I want to go back to twenty fifteen when you wrote girls Like Girls and directed the music video, choosing not to be in the music video because of your own personal fears, and the shift from going from that to then casting two half Asian leads. Can you take us on that journey?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think girls Like Girls the universe kind of mirrors my journey when I wrote girls Like Girls in twenty fifteen, I wasn't out. I wasn't confident in who I was, and so when I was writing with Lily and Oen the lyrics for the song, I wanted to sound like I was confident and that I could, you know, stealing kisses from your missus, you know, doesn't make you freak out. Like they're very like bold lyrics, but I didn't feel that way at the time. So it's trying to like manifest feeling embodied and who I was and self love. And when we were doing the music video, I didn't want to put myself out there, and so I'm so grateful for Stephanie and Kelsey. They did an incredible job in the music video, but I kept my I was like coming out, but I kept myself separate still. And so then we went on this like long, long journey where it's really cool where that was the first step, and then there was you know, the novel, and now there's the movie. And the movie is the most authentic version of this story where the characters are their most authentic selves, and getting to cast actors that represent the characters so well reflecting my own journey back to me is really beautiful and like now I'm on stage waving the rainbow flag and screaming girls like girls and like super proud of being a lesbian. And so it's a really beautiful thing to witness where this ip has kind of grown with me, and so of course it's changed. You know, It's like the book is its own experience, and you can, you know, divulge in the description of a jacket for a page and a half, but in the movie you only have ninety minutes, right, And so the movie is you know, you know, a glance here and a touch here, and getting to visually show the feelings that I felt growing up being queer and being in the closet and falling in love with girls.
Speaker 1: There were I don't really know what I'm allowed to say about the movie, but there were so many times when I was like watching it with like what you were saying, with like the grays of a hand or like a touch or like just certain things that I was like.
Speaker 2: Only women can understand that, do you know what I mean? Like I felt all details.
Speaker 1: Yes, and like I felt all those like the longing and the like the wanting, and like I like really felt all that. And I was like, I think just because I knew that like it came from you. I was like, that's a woman's touch. Like guys don't.
Speaker 2: Get that, do you know what I mean? Like focusing on other stuff, yes for sure, But there was so much but.
Speaker 1: It was like so beautifully done and there I just like felt it so much. And then there was these other little things that you just like put in there that were so nostalgic to me as like a kid, like having a crush and falling in love and like all those things.
Speaker 2: Back in the day.
Speaker 1: What was the year.
Speaker 2: It's two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, But like there were so many nods to that that like really brought back these like vivid memories of like when I had a crush on someone and they and they entered on the aim, the sound like the yeah, the opening of the door and like all that stuff. Like I was like, oh my gosh, Like I was coly too, do you know what I mean? But just like a straight version of Coli.
Speaker 4: Totally, and like Girls Like Girl is unapologetically girls Like Girls. But this story is so universal because whether you're straight or queer, everyone has had to confront their crush, yeah, at some point in their life and had to be like do you like me or not?
Speaker 2: Is this a thing or not? Are we going steady or not? Like? What where are we at? No? Like I resonated with Cohali so much as a character.
Speaker 4: I literally some clarity, get me, some answers, use your words of affirmation.
Speaker 2: Yes, come on.
Speaker 3: But it's so interesting because there's going to be people who resonate with both characters so much. Because I watch it and I resonate with Sonya and I think about who When I met you and fell in love with a woman for the first time, I was turning thirty, so I had a sense of self of like knowing who I was. And I think if I was in high school navigating those feelings of my religion and falling in love with my best friend, and how would I handle it? I probably would have handled it how Sonia did. So I have a lot of empathy and compassion for her. But I know from a Coli standpoint, there's like frustrations of a sad like feeling.
Speaker 2: Like also resonated with Sonya too, so it's like there.
Speaker 4: Are You're more of a person?
Speaker 2: Ali?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that you made a movie that is representation for queer people and that we really haven't seen yet. And yet there's people that are going to go who don't have that exact represent that exact experience, but they're going to leave being like, oh.
Speaker 2: My gosh, I remember that.
Speaker 3: I remember falling in love with someone.
Speaker 4: So and like when you're sixteen, seventeen years old, you're like, I'm going to marry this person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything I said today, Yeah.
Speaker 4: You're like, this is the one. I'm not meaning anyone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so it was really important, you know, when approaching making this film. You know, they are young protagonists, but it is told through a mature lens because I think when you're that age, you think you're twenty.
Speaker 2: Five, you think you're thirty. You're like, I know everything you know.
Speaker 4: And so that was really important for me and how we approached, you know, the cinematography and just the storytelling of it all.
Speaker 3: Can we talk about your first day on set and the getting house of that, because yeah, I've always thought about it. I never thought about it until this day, but I we well, actually I want to get back, I want to get to where we where you filmed the movie, because I think that was one of those things of like you talk about banging on every door and it's locked or it won't budge, and then the right door opens and then the doors continue to open, so you can go ahead.
Speaker 4: And yeah, so I mean, you know, we budgeted the film to shoot in so many different places in Canada specifically, and they can tinuously fell through. And then finally when the stars were starting to align and I got the green light after the book, and.
Speaker 2: They called me.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if a lot of people know this, but you don't necessarily get to choose where you're shooting the film. So even though the story is set in Oregon, you could be shooting the film literally anywhere, depending on what the production decides and tax you know, credits and all that stuff. And so they call me and they're like, hey, we're going to shoot this movie in Colonna, Canada, which is east of Vancouver.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of it?
Speaker 4: And most people who are listening to this podcast, most people don't know of Colonna, Canada and Colonna east of Vancouver. It's kind of in this valley and it's called like the California of Canada. And I'm like shook when they call me because my grandparents are buried there, and I grew up going to Colonna, Canada.
Speaker 2: What are you all?
Speaker 4: I grew up visiting my grandparents on my Japanese side and we would go every.
Speaker 2: Three or four years.
Speaker 4: I have a baby photo of me taking my first steps during the holidays in my grandparents' house, which is four streets down from where we shot.
Speaker 2: And this whole film and.
Speaker 4: The process has been really embracing not only my sexuality, but also just like my culture and being half Japanese and representing that on the screen and getting to a place where I felt confident in being able to tell my authentic truth and story.
Speaker 2: So the fact that we ended up shooting this.
Speaker 4: Film where I got to visit my grandparents you know, burial site, and got to be shot at this restaurant that my grandma used to take us to, which is like the only Japanese restaurant in town, which is like one of the last scenes in the film.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah, where she works. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it was very like that was like a moment where I was like, oh, this, whatever happens, this was the post was meant to be, like the timing of everything, like this is a homecoming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not freaky that's so freaky. It's very meant to be though. Yeah, yeah, yeah, so you you. I go up there with you for that. You had been up there for a few months.
Speaker 3: And then I come up to be there for the first day shooting and we get up super early and we drive to set. And Hayley, as you know, she's been an actress, she's been part of sets all the time, this is the first like director position.
Speaker 2: So we show up to set and it's chos it's chaos.
Speaker 4: I am getting yelled at because someone's unhappy. I'm getting like screamed at because you know, it's like high tension, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also like you're the one that people everyone has to like. You're like the manager of it all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you end up like they say, like directors are like the therapists of set. But a lot of the times when you're making a small indie film, you have to hire people that are super passionate. So with passion comes passion even show emotion. People are working on very small budgets, they're stressed, and so within the first ten minutes arriving on set, I am getting annihilated.
Speaker 2: But the car right there were listening to I can go the day. Everyone waiting ten years for this moment. He goes, I hope we can have a huddle.
Speaker 3: We faced on my sister so I can do like a team huddle with everyone.
Speaker 2: And then we get there and it's just like chaos. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then so eventually we i we you know, sizzled the fire, figured things out.
Speaker 2: I get to set and I'm like in such shock.
Speaker 4: They start rolling and my ads like looking at me, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: What, She goes, are you gonna say?
Speaker 3: Action?
Speaker 2: Action?
Speaker 4: And I like sit seven in the morning and I just am like and then that, you know, obviously the rest is history. And then this shoot was amazing. But the first day was very intense.
Speaker 2: How many days all in was it? It was twenty three and like a half days. That's twenty three very intense day.
Speaker 4: Very intense days, like you're doing ten to fifteen pages a day, and like most big budget films they do like.
Speaker 2: Six, so you're just cramming it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're super grateful for everyone because everyone has to believe in the story to donate and their time.
Speaker 2: They're obviously getting.
Speaker 4: Paid, but it's it's a tight budget, it's a tight schedule, and every every dollar you see is on the screen. Every dollar that we had is on the screen, and so yeah, it was it was a wild time.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: We were shooting a scene one time and a bear was walking down the train tracks.
Speaker 2: We had a pause, like there was a lot going on.
Speaker 4: So you're you're working every shot you see in this film. Everyone over like one hundred people worked so hard to get that shot. And people always ask me, like my favorite scene. It's like every scene that made it is my favorite scene.
Speaker 2: Right, because you have to leave so much on the cutting round.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, like over twenty scenes are cut, Yeah, because of time. Just yeah, or just like you know, it doesn't irrelevant or did it not irrelevant? It's just like you know, it's your you know, it's like I don't know, putting together a scrap book.
Speaker 2: You have all these amazing.
Speaker 4: Photos, but like flow wise, like the only pick certain ones because that you know, elevates the story, and the story is about these two young girls and elevating them and having them be on the best stage possible.
Speaker 3: It'd be like us not editing our reels and having to pick our best scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sometimes you can take but it just doesn't make sense. In the reel.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, yeah, yeah, okay, understand thank you for making dumbing it down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just need it for us to understand.
Speaker 4: So you so, yeah, back, I got to see like firsthand.
Speaker 2: It was amazing, though, I mean, what can it can be?
Speaker 3: I was thinking about how terrifying that would be to be in that position and not having never done it before, and then it's like, hey, it's time to call action, and just you're just jumping into the deepest endeavor.
Speaker 1: Nothing makes me more anxious than thinking about hundreds of people coming to me with very emotional drama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, constantly. Yeah. And she loved it. Yeah, she loved every second of it.
Speaker 3: I I've never I'm always impressed with you, But I think those twenty four days because I knew you were so exhausted, like physically just depleted, but you were so grateful that it was happening, that there was this like power that you just had through the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I have I have an interesting question.
Speaker 1: So, like you're in the thick of it, right, You're this is your You're gone, this is everything that you've been like building and dreaming of, and you're in it.
Speaker 2: When you were away shooting and Becca was home.
Speaker 1: What were things that she did that made you feel like loved and supported?
Speaker 4: I mean, she just we were really in a good flow. She knew how intense it was going to be, especially because she was there for the first couple of days. I think when you're there, you understand, like, oh, she's not going to be on her phone for at least eleven hours, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right.
Speaker 4: But I felt like we communicated really well and I felt super loved, Like you know, when Becca came to visit me and just like checked in and you know, i'd call her being stressed about some kind of scene or problem that came up, and you know.
Speaker 2: She was just the best, super supportive.
Speaker 4: And cheered me on and kept me in like a positive mindset because you have to stay positive and you're dreaming of doing this your whole life and you get there and it's not going to be easy. You're going to have to fight for it. But I love, I loved every second of it. And it means the world that I get to share this journey with Becca, and like the fact that we're going to get to go see this movie in theaters together, knowing she's seen me like saw on the floor.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's so important because I think, like there are people in relationships who if like their partner like goes and they're doing they're super busy, Like you were so busy you weren't like ignoring her, like you just had so much going on. If Becca could have handled it very differently, she could have like demanded more like time energy.
Speaker 4: I think when I think, it's really helpful for your partner to like see it, like I think it was really helpful that Becca was there at.
Speaker 2: The beginning and she like knew the flow of the day.
Speaker 4: I think if she didn't have an understanding of what it would be, it would probably be hard, like.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, where's my good morning text? Well, and she did such a good job. We always she always said good night, like we always good morning to night. Yeah, we both prioritize that. And she even left me like a box full of.
Speaker 3: Little notes that I could pluck out and read if I like needed a little book. Very I think that I knew this was ten years in the making, so for me, it was like I have had a really hard time when she's gone on tour, which I think I've spoken about, but I think knowing what this, how much had been building for this, I couldn't have any negative impact on it. Like I knew I needed to be like the support system and just be there for her.
Speaker 2: So I think I think that's when she knew she wanted to marry me. Yeah, it's so important, I think, I really do.
Speaker 1: Like, I think it's really important to have a like supportive partner and being there in these moments that like take time away from your relationship.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, because like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you sometimes you have to be selfless and you know that that's what your partner needs and you're not going to really get anything out of it by pushing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and you're stronger for it fighting it. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about because the story is loosely based off of something that you did experience in your youth, and there are some real life scenes in the movie that I wanted to talk about.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you don't know this real life see some things that.
Speaker 4: Really see a scene where she goes to get her jacket from Sonya's gast that was a real that was a real experience I had.
Speaker 1: So I didn't have that exact same experience, but I've had similar experiences, and I was so pissed.
Speaker 2: I literally yelled out loud. I yelled out loud the B word.
Speaker 4: I well, I mean, basically, it's a pivotal moment where you're Coalie is confronting Sonya about whether she likes her or not. And my Sonya in high school, we would say all of juice to each other, and like we basically had this like platonic relationship, but we had never kissed, and so I had I went to go get my jacket from her house because she was leaving.
Speaker 2: This is separate from the movie.
Speaker 4: She was leaving for like a trip, and I used that as an excuse to like.
Speaker 2: Confess because we all do, and like ask her if.
Speaker 4: She wanted to kiss me, and she just like you know, shook her head no, And I was like heartbroken. And so there's a lot of scenes and experiences that Coally goes through, even though Coli'S environment is fictional, that I got to share, and like the actual jacket because I'm an emotional hoarder, I put in the scene. It's not the jean jacket that Colie's wearing, but there is the exact jacket from the.
Speaker 2: Girl's house that I saved because I was.
Speaker 4: Like, maybe one day I'll make this movie and maybe one day I'll put the jacket in the scene.
Speaker 2: You know. What's so so there's a fun easter egg.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because in the scene before with the scene where Sonya's like takes the jacket from her because she's cold. Yeah, in my mind, I was like, give it to her, that's your mom's like, it's going home with her, Like you need that back, and then You're like I need it back.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, yeah, can we get to well, first of all, Easton, do you have a microphone?
Speaker 2: Well? Yeah, okay, yeah, we would love.
Speaker 4: To bring Eastern in for a different perspective here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to ask because Easton watched it, and as a straight ally I wanted to and a man, I wanted to sell what am I?
Speaker 2: You're a straight ally? But well thank you, yeah, I thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank you for a straight ally, but a man's perspective who is a fan of all things. I wanted to have Easton's perspective on seeing the movie.
Speaker 6: Hi, thanks for having me first time calling a long time listening. My goodness, Hayley, what a masterpiece I loved this so much. And I am a I'm a straight guy.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm a straight out.
Speaker 6: I'm a straight But I really think that this movie captures the feeling of falling in love so beautifully, no matter who you love.
Speaker 2: And also just personally.
Speaker 6: For me, I grew up in a town very similar to now I know it's Kelowna, Canada.
Speaker 2: I had supposed to be organ.
Speaker 6: I lived in the mountains of northern California, and I had so many visceral memories of like riding my bike through the.
Speaker 2: Woods and like wondering if someone liked me like that, just daydreaming.
Speaker 6: Of course, yes, and that hits so strongly for me, and just I'm sorry, and now I want to go back and watch it again. Just there's so many there's so many scenes that hit so hard, and I don't want to spoil anything, but like, oh my goodness, it's just I.
Speaker 2: Just think it's a beautiful story of love.
Speaker 6: That's that's and and also I was thinking about, like, as a straight man, every story is basically for me, you.
Speaker 2: Know, white straight man. But a lot of movies, I got a lot of movies.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I watched this movie, and I'm thinking about all the young girls that are going to see this and see themselves see stories that they've experienced be told and be told. This is an important story and this is worthy of being told. And it made me so excited for everyone to see it. Go see Girls Like Girls in theaters June nineteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, thank you has already bought his ticket. He's going to have a watch party as we all are.
Speaker 2: Love youson thank you.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about the music for the movie, Oh Yes, because you Miss Hailey.
Speaker 2: Kioko decided that she.
Speaker 3: Had the songs from the movie, but beyond that, she wanted to do an inspired by soundtrack, so she went ahead and wrote a how many songs?
Speaker 2: It's fourteen fourteen.
Speaker 3: Songs soundtrack with six features, yes, six features, with queer all queer artists, and she did it herself.
Speaker 1: I will say the music in this movie is perfect, Like every scene it just hits, like the original songs and the other songs that you have in there. It's like so perfect. And I take that so seriously. I feel like, what's is it called scoring?
Speaker 2: I mean it's music yeah, opposition, yeah yeah, like putting songs and like moments and stuff like that I take that very seriously, and I feel like you did it so beautifully in this movie. Thank you. Yeah, I mean every emotion at the right that time. I mean, that is the best news ever. Thank you. It's you know, it's music.
Speaker 4: Is is everything powerful. And when I went into this film, I thought that the music would be like a third character and that the music would almost dominate the film. And when I went into editing and I saw the performances, you know, after the fact, I kept for moving music too overpowering it. Yeah, and because the girls were just so good and the acting was so good that the music was distracting and so actually, you know, it was a really beautiful journey where there's minimal amounts of music in the film, but when it is in the film, it's impactful, you know, and we full needle drops in there like emmage and heap and take it in, Sarah.
Speaker 1: That is one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie, because I don't care who you are. That song hits like such a like yeah, it just it was such a moment in time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I took me back there. Yeah, it was crazy. So we grabbed Robbie's arms this song and he was like, what's this song?
Speaker 4: I was like, I mean the fact that we were really get that song was so incredible, and so within that we also, I have some original music in the film as well, and that was a really cool journey because I had these ideas that I had written when I was sixteen, but I had never finished them or you know, fully explored them, and so when we were finishing the film, I was like, what if what if I finished these songs for and write it for the film. And so that's notice and lungs that are that are that are in the film. And then there's another song called falling Through, where we took a sample of my original voice when I was sixteen one of the demos, and we sampled it and then wrote a song on top of that.
Speaker 2: So that's a third song.
Speaker 1: Is that when Coley's like the one that you really loved?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and myself is that falling Through?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: And then so once I finished the film, I was like, you know, I always wanted a soundtrack and inspired by album, and you know, this movie is not on the level of Barbie or Wicked. You know, it's it's a small indie film, and so they don't really do soundtracks for movies this size. And so I finished the film, I went into the studio, I reached out to a bunch of friends and artists and collaborators, and we wrote an extra ten song set our original songs inspired by different scenes in the film. One of the songs Sonya wears periwinkle nail polished. One of the songs is called Periwinkle Princess. There's a song called Choker, and so it was it's so awesome to get to return to music after being on this directorial adventure and to write music through the lens of you know, Coley and Sonya. And my hope and goal is that people are able to watch this movie and then they're able to come home and have an entirely different, you know, audible experience of getting to listen to the album, which like almost expands an extens from the film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which we used to have. Yeah, we used to get that. I mean, you get them, I mean really big movies.
Speaker 4: But I was really inspired by Garden State and what Zach Braff, who actually plays the father in Girls Like Girls, and what they were able to accomplish, because that soundtrack was like everything to me, and it like captus a specific time in my life, and I was like, gosh, how cool would it be to have a Girlly Girls album that captures this feeling of young love and heartbreak and discovery and trying to find yourself and having that live forever. Yeah, So having that exist and have the movie exist.
Speaker 2: So it's like what Gavin de Grau was for One Tree Hill first totally.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think of the Want to Remember soundtrack because it is one of my favorite soundtracks of all two like hearing. I think what's so cool is that not every the soundtrack is extra songs that aren't in the movie, but they are aligned with the movie.
Speaker 2: So like, once you see the movie.
Speaker 3: You can listen to a song and be like, oh my gosh, this this song.
Speaker 2: Was inspired by this scene.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it's so collaborative and yeah, I just can't.
Speaker 2: I don't think I know of anyone else who's ever done this.
Speaker 3: A director who then wrote the soundtrack.
Speaker 2: So wait, when does the album come out?
Speaker 4: So the album comes out June twelfth, one week before a small movie, so you can listen to it, listen to it and you know, dive deep into the world, and then the movie comes out June nineteenth.
Speaker 2: What are you gonna do June? I teenh Like, what's the day going to look like?
Speaker 4: I'm probably gonna be working, but I'll probably be going to a bunch of screenings and do me.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna do that like pap into different theaters?
Speaker 4: That's my plan and then I would love to maybe go see the movie with some friends on the weekend.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna be at the movie theater twenty four to seven, So come say hi, I'll be there.
Speaker 3: We're signing up for every membership available, egal AMC, whatever result all the things.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean it's it's gonna be such a surreal feeling. And you know, it's like for a movie to take ten years to get made. I was like, I gotta just put everything I have in this film. I have to direct this film. I need to write the music, like I have to just like push myself to the limit of really embodying and connecting with my sixteen year old self because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity that I've.
Speaker 2: Worked so hard to.
Speaker 4: Achieve and to to get and so I had to do everything I could to try to make it as big as humanly possible with the limited resources that we had.
Speaker 1: You know, you absolutely have to pop into different theaters throughout the weekend.
Speaker 3: You yeah, yeah, yeah, you did it, like you it's coming out Like there were so many moments where it was like, Okay, we're gonna go film this, and then.
Speaker 2: Well, right, and then she goes many times.
Speaker 3: And then she films it, and then it's like okay, we're editing it.
Speaker 2: And then hopefully it turns out good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't think people realize that Haley Dinner, she knew it was going to be a theatrical release, but she didn't know if it was going to be like very limited.
Speaker 2: Theaters, like theaters, we don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So there was so many question marks leading up to this moment.
Speaker 2: And then the trailer comes out and it has whatever, twenty six million views, twenty six.
Speaker 3: Million views, same, I mean, every single one of those people who viewed it to go see the movie.
Speaker 2: And then I just.
Speaker 3: Think it's incredible that every moment that's been a quote mark is now an exclamation point, like you did it, beautiful, But I do you know, like, what are we doing after the movie's done?
Speaker 2: Like the movie is going to do with my life. We're gonna have the wedding plan.
Speaker 1: You weddy of things to me for I forgot.
Speaker 2: I just don't want movie mode. But yeah, we have so much to look forward to. Yeah, you can carry the soundtrack to your wedding.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, Girls Like Girls string Quartet down the aisle, I mean.
Speaker 1: Sky's Honestly, you have to to me the string quartet version of Girls Like Girls and like the vision now, by the way, is that the version they play when the credits roll at the ends?
Speaker 2: It's so beautiful? Thank you? Wait did you stay till the very end? Yeah? So I didn't know if I could. I didn't know. I didn't spur alert.
Speaker 3: We just need to let people know that you have to stay past the credit.
Speaker 2: I don't believe it's worth it.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's a little bonus, a peekaboo, a little peekaboo.
Speaker 2: There's also something else there is and what well we can cut it if it's so just ye, No, I don't know if it's supposed to be a surprise. What the the extra scene? No, there you put like special things to people?
Speaker 1: Oh my social Oh yeah, oh my gosh, I didn't know. I didn't know if that was like, I didn't know if you've seen that a surprise and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't want to blow it is in this special things. Yeah, I didn't know that. I was freaking out and when I watched it, Yeah, but I was that's very nice to acknowledge that. But I was talking about that there's a ya that have to stay for and I just have.
Speaker 3: To say, I also want to go before we have.
Speaker 2: To wrap, but I I want to talk about Maya and Mara, who are the leads of this movie. Yeah, because are so good. People are going to know these names. They are incredible.
Speaker 3: And you know there's so many movies and shows coming out and people come and like, oh they were cute.
Speaker 2: They were cute.
Speaker 3: These girls are They are Coly and Sonya and Maya.
Speaker 2: I will never forget. Hayley started getting her audition sent in.
Speaker 3: It was so fun while she was casting the movie because I got to see everyone's Like, it was so fun getting to see everyone. Maya was the first person that sent an audition for Coli.
Speaker 2: Well, she was the first person we were that we watched Yeah, yeah, no way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Maya Acosta and they were like, hey, we just got some tapes. Do you want to see it. I was like, oh my gosh. We were in New York and I opened it up and it was Maya. And I remember it was a scene when she's with Sonya in her bedroom and she was the only person where when the scene was over, she just had the tape roll and she just sat on the bed and just like took in the space and like.
Speaker 2: I was like, I think I like got emotion.
Speaker 4: Because I was like, oh my gosh, Like I remember that feeling when your crush leaves the bedroom and you're in their room in their space alone, and it's such an intimate feeling, and she just captured it so well, and I was like, oh my gosh, she's going to be the one to be, you know when we go into these audition processes and she ended up getting the role.
Speaker 2: Yeah every time to be like, oh they're good, but they're not. They're not Maya.
Speaker 4: She's so authentic and she's so coly and I see a lot of like myself and her, but she also elevated the character so much with her unique quirkiness and like choices. And then you know Myra Maloy, who plays Sonya, is just like.
Speaker 2: Magnetic, Like she turned you see her and you're.
Speaker 5: Like, whoa, You're like, by the way, she's you.
Speaker 2: Know, like a sixty foot screen she's your doppelganger.
Speaker 4: Think that is the nicest thing ever, because people like say that I'm the real version of Mara, like Myra's like the AI version of me, which is kind of a backhanded like compliment, but I'll take.
Speaker 2: It, no, because she's gorgeous.
Speaker 4: She's gorgeous, and she does such a good job navigating Sonya's character is so complex because you know, I think when we're navigating something new territory, we make mistakes and people become victims of our experiences and it doesn't mean that you're a bad person, you're just it depends on how you handle it afterwards. And so she does a really beautiful job navigating this character who is messy and doesn't really know how to handle these feelings for another woman. And I'm so proud of her performance too. So they're both incredible. I can't wait for you guys to see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they really are so special. The fact that their names are Mara and my, oh my gosh, you guys don't even understand.
Speaker 4: And then my, yeah, Mayra's mom, her real name was Maya, so I had to Maya's.
Speaker 2: I had a Mayra.
Speaker 4: My cinematographer was Sonya, so I had two Sonia's two Maya's Amyra. I was like, I can't do this. This is so complicated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like going back and seeing yourself, Well, you can either go back to your high school self of navigating your version of who Coli was, or yourself of writing and directing girls like girls. If you could go back and tell her something and see where you are now, what would you say?
Speaker 4: I would be like whispering to her, like you're gonna do it, Like don't give up, It's gonna happen, like keep going. And I think I wish I trusted the process. It's so hard for someone it's so hard to receive someone saying trust the process, like yeah, everything happens for a reason. It's so hard to accept that because you're just like no, and they're like, why isn't it happening now? Yeah, it's And it's also wild.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: When I had such a deep crush and fell in love with this girl in high school was so traumatic for me. It took me years to kind of heal from that, and so to know that that trauma has led to my directorial debut is so full circle and so cool that I get to share that part of me while also being in such a wonderful, healthy, magical relationship and be in such a different you know, I dreamed of.
Speaker 2: Being where I am now.
Speaker 4: So it's really it's like a huge hug to my younger self. And I hope that this film, you know, is a hug to so many people who.
Speaker 2: Their shit goes No.
Speaker 1: It's like it's such a universal feeling, you know what I mean, all.
Speaker 4: Trying to heal our younger selves, and our younger selves feel very like broken and lost and confused. And that's what this film is, you know. It's my gift to everyone to love themselves a little bit harder, being a little kinder to ourselves and knowing that we do deserve love, we do deserve joy and happiness, and we're worthy of that. And I think when you're young and trying to navigate it, it's it can be really really hard, yeah, And so I hope that this film makes things lighter and easier for people that are.
Speaker 2: Going through it right now.
Speaker 4: I hope this film heals our younger selves, whether you're in your forties or fifties or sixties, remembering that time that you fell in love with that one person that you never understood what was happening, why it was happening, and if they ever liked you back. And I hope you're able to move forward from it.
Speaker 2: Well, you got the girl.
Speaker 3: I made the girls, make you freak out, You got the girl, you made the movie, you wrote the.
Speaker 2: Soundtrack, you did it all. Yeah, we did it everyone.
Speaker 3: When I say, go out, buy tickets, opening weekend is the most important critical.
Speaker 4: Because it's got to happen then, otherwise it might not exist.
Speaker 2: June nineteenth, June twentieth, June twenty.
Speaker 3: First those yes, and buy your tickets today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as soon as possible.
Speaker 3: Let them know that we the crowds are here and they're coming.
Speaker 2: Yes. And I'm so proud of you and proud of you. Are excited, truly one of one.
Speaker 3: There's not a single person that's done what you've done, and I hope that you, beyond hearing it from everyone else, give that to yourself and be so proud of who you are.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 4: It's special to get to to share this with such an amazing, loving partner. So thank you for being there for me, and I'm so excited for everyone to see it.
Speaker 2: So here we go. Let's go so soundtrack available June twelfth. June twelfth, go pre saved.
Speaker 4: You can order a cute vinyl for a collector's item.
Speaker 2: And then we got the movie June nineteenth. Let's go see you in theaters. I'm going to see the multiple times. Oh yeah, I'm going to be there for every viewing. They're going to be like ma'am, we're hitting and like you don't understand important. Yeah. We love you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you for coming so I know that you are so busy, so thank.
Speaker 2: You for being here.
Speaker 4: Like gosh, I want to miss it. I love you, Love you, scrubbers, wonderful week.
Speaker 2: Love you bye