Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Time now for Fantasy Football Weekly from iHeartRadio, your weekly source for the nation's best fantasy football advice, speculation, and whatever stupid stuff they decided to drop into the show. Now here's your host, Paul Chargion.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly, the last of five episodes with Thor Nystrom getting us ready for the draft.
Speaker 4: A big conclusion to the trilogy. What's five?
Speaker 1: It's not septology, I don't know. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've broken down running backs and two shows. Then I think we went receiver, tight end.
Speaker 1: Now quarterback. Yeah, and then I've already I've already I'm not positive next week, but then the.
Speaker 3: Day after the draft, the Friday after the draft, you've got you've.
Speaker 1: After round one. Yep, we're going to hit that too, So you deserve a break.
Speaker 3: We haven't even nobody even knows who Scott Fish and Matt Harrison are anymore.
Speaker 1: Those guys haven't been on the show in so long. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're going to try to work in uh one of a new guy named Kent Wee Rock who has made one been on one other show maybe like a year ago. We're gonna try to get Kent into We're going into the rotation as well. I think you and Kent have you and Kent may have cross paths.
Speaker 1: At some point. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So here we are, we're only two weeks away from the Drafttheless, tell let's we're going to do quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: Let's start here.
Speaker 3: Where would this year's most promising quarterbacks, so that would be cam Ord Shadar Sanders. Where would they have ranked in last year's quarterback Leyden draft if they'd been coming out?
Speaker 1: Now? Where would they go? Between Caleb Williams and bow Nix?
Speaker 3: We had six quarterbacks taken last year, right, so where would these guys have slotted into last year's grading?
Speaker 1: For me?
Speaker 4: They would have been five and six? Okay, so you know.
Speaker 1: After McCarthy, before Nicks. What for me it was after May? But ok yeah, like my rank, it was.
Speaker 4: Right of course Coja and then Drake May. But I would you know, I would have had the top two guys of this class, the next two guys and then Pennix nixt after that.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, all right, and that's the just every year is different, right, yeah?
Speaker 3: They you know these are you know, cam Ward is coming out in a weaker class, he's gonna go first overall.
Speaker 1: Probably. Yeah, yeah, that's right. And you know, a different year he might have gone tenth.
Speaker 4: Jonathan Brooks or Trey Benson in this running back.
Speaker 1: Class would have after thoughts.
Speaker 4: But yeah, they got pulled up because they were in a bad running back class. I put out a tweet today about how there are two true freshmen wide receivers are they're leaving their true freshman season, but if they were in this draft class, each of them would be wide receiver one if you don't count Travis Hunter as a wide receiver. Jeremiah Smith and Ryan Williams do.
Speaker 1: They both play for Ohio State.
Speaker 4: Jeremi Smith plays for the.
Speaker 1: Other run place for Alabama.
Speaker 4: Probably weren't going to predict that, but but yeah, you know, and it's cyclical. This wide receiver class is way down.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: In a couple of years we are going to have an epic wide receiver class. So it's just you know, all these position groups up down, updown.
Speaker 1: Give me a letter grade for the quarterback class. I'll go D, Yeah, probably D or D plus. Okay, Yeah, it's not like the Malik willis uh not the pick at year. It's not that bad. That was an F class. Yeah, yeah, this is a D class. This is a D class. Let's see what we can learn about these players. First. I want to start here.
Speaker 3: Here's the teams I think that could take a quarterback day one or day two. Ye, so first two rounds, Jets they currently have justin fields.
Speaker 1: That's patchwork.
Speaker 3: Now they're paying fields two years forty million, so it's not nothing, but that's a patchwork solution.
Speaker 1: Yep. Browns.
Speaker 3: Obviously, people do not believe the Browns at pick two are going to take a quarterback.
Speaker 1: I don't believe they'll take a quarterback. Do you you think Browns take corder?
Speaker 4: Not at two, but uh, but it appears that they'll be taking one at some point.
Speaker 1: I think they will. Yeah. You know, after does not change, that's it.
Speaker 4: You know, after signing Flacco and then you have pick it, you have that opening for one guy, right like and I'm not talking about Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 1: So yeah it is.
Speaker 4: I mean my question is is that guy is it Kirk Cousins or has that been earmark for the rookie? But yeah, well we'll find out. And you know Cleveland picks it too.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: You talked a lot about that. I think Travis Hunter is going there. But the thing is to Cleveland has an absolute war chest of draft equity. They have the thirty third pick, the first one in the second round, and then in the third round they have two picks. They have sixty seven, they have ninety four. They have one of the top picks in the fourth the second pick in the fourth round one oh four. They have the amo to move up potentially, and if you start to see Shader Sanders falling, that's their move watch out.
Speaker 3: I speculated about exactly that scenario today on KFA N. Could the Browns go thirty three to twenty to jump the Steelers to get Shadir Sanders.
Speaker 4: So in my last mock draft, I went two rounds. I had them going to fifteen trading with Atlanta, and the trade that jives even with baked in slight taxes for the move up and the slight tax for the quarterback move up, so you have like a double tax there. But the thing that would jive it is that thirty third pick sixty seven ninety four and then a fourth round pick next years as a sweetener that would drive it for the fifteen pick. So I think anything. Fifteen later they are in play to swing and move up to board.
Speaker 3: So you think Sanders and I'm seeing this increasingly. Not that long ago, Sanders was believed to be going in the top four or five picks of this drafty. What I'm seeing lately is a move of Shadur homing farther down the draft.
Speaker 1: Do you see it that way?
Speaker 4: I'll believe it when I see it, certainly, that's, you know, the way that the wind appears to be blowing right now. But there are a lot of false narratives out there about Shader, so it's it's sort of difficult to parse through what is the signal and what is the noise.
Speaker 1: A couple of the teams I can take quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Steelers obviously still don't have the resolution on the Art Rodgers thing after all this, and either way, right regardless of it, they need it, they need it. Titans obviously at one they'll go quarterback. Giants at three they've got Russell Wilson, they got Jamis Winston. These guys are you know, between the two of them, there have six teams and three years, so that's not a solution for the Giants. Saints at nine might start doing some Derek car succession planning. I believe Seattle at eighteen. I know they just committed a ton of money to Sam Darnold, but kind of like the Vikings was, Sam, they might want it, you know, they may. I think that Seattle might want to have a backup plan ready, much like the Vikings did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there's oh, it's in that contract. You know where it's not. You know the outlay and and and and and you know it isn't significant and they would be able to get out of it if they wanted to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, all right, So let's go through your your top quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: You're ready to dig in. Let's do it now. You have Shadure Sanders number one. I do this puts you out of lockstep with the majority. And I love that about you that you're willing to do that. Yeah, I love it. Just go with your go with your gut. Okay, well it's not just gut. You're gonna throw a bunch of facts at us. Your comp on Shudar Sanders Drew Breese.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm just a huge fan of Shadeer Sanders' game. The the placement and the accuracy are both elite and that's the thing that that will remind you of Drew Brees. I also like his ability to make people miss in the pocket. You know, people say, oh, Shuldeer Sanders isn't athletic, which is absurd. He you know, he's the son of one of the most athletic players in NFL history. We've also seen him outside of the pocket a few instances. When he does run. He's been clocked over ninety miles per hour on the GPS, even ran a four to six five coming out of high school. So some of the again, some of these narratives around Shadeer Sanders are just absolutely absurd. But he had the athleticism to make people miss in the pocket. That's what he's looking to do to extend. He notes that the guys crashing in the penetration immediately and he's able to sort of change his plan to facilitate that and extend the plays. He played behind terrible offensive lines last two years at Colorado without eight of a running game, so it's the defense knew what was coming every single time. I'm curious to see how much Shadeer's game plays up at the next level when he has a competent offensive line. Playing in front of him right where he doesn't have to move off of his spot immediately and extend and different stuff like that. But speaking to the accuracy eighty one point eight adjusted accuracy percentage last year, that was five points high. Really I think cam Ward, Yeah, it was number two amongst all BS quarterbacks. He also takes care of the ball, Shahdeer Sanders does not put it up for grabs last year number three and turnover worthy play rate cam Ward's was almost three times higher.
Speaker 1: Right, So with Shadeer.
Speaker 4: Sanders, it's a very even ride. You know, you get the steady eddy thing. You get a guy again accuracy placement, it's a chain mover who takes care of the ball. He's not going to turn it over for you, so you're taking a profit every single play. Cam Orders will talk about in a second is a bit more of a roller coaster ride his game. But yeah, I'm a huge fan of Shadeer Sanders' game.
Speaker 1: Okay, few mistakes for for a guy who was under pressure a lot ninety seventh percentile in avoiding negative throws, yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know he gets a lot of crap for the sack numbers. But again, when you look at the preponderance of pressures per snap on him, and then you look at his ability to take care of the ball like that, I think that there are contextual things that you can point to that are impressive as far as the decision making under duress.
Speaker 1: So from a fantasy standpoint, for Shagar Sanders.
Speaker 3: Feels like a high floor guy, not necessarily a high ceiling fantasy producer.
Speaker 1: Now, Drew Brees was both. I mean, if he could actually turn out to be Drew Brees, obviously he can do both. Drew was never mobile, but drew through one of the most catchable passes in the NFL, and it had amazing seasons with tons of yards and touchdowns. Do you view it that way?
Speaker 3: As Shuldear Sanders as a high floor prospect more than a high ceiling prospect.
Speaker 4: Super high floor, but I think his ceilings higher than people give him credit for. You know what I mean too, Drew Brees coming out of Purdue, he fell to the second round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did, right, so today when Tomlinson breeze that year, yeah, and it turned out okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it wasn't even because NFL head coaches were scared to draft him because they were afraid his dad was going to take his job the next year, like is the case of Shadeer Sanders, which is where I think most of this nonsense is coming from. And if there is any trepidation inside NFL buildings, I think it's coming from from coaches that are afraid, Like, man, if we if we draft this kid and then we start it's slow, next year, they're gonna be coming pitchforks in front of the stadium wanting coach prime.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's where some of this stuffs coming from.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, in an ideal scenario for Sanders to be great, if he didn't go drop to that point, be great, if he didn't drop to a team that had to start him week one necessarily. You know, if you could get into a situation where you can learn on the job. Maybe there was another quarterback there. I don't know, a safer spot. I guess it doesn't It doesn't really matter. We'll see how we'll see how it plays out.
Speaker 1: Let's go to your number two quarterback. That's cam Ward.
Speaker 3: Most people think he's gonna go first overall, and you do too, right, Yeah, sure, Okay, your comp here is Jordan Love. There's a lot to like about Cam Word, especially that arm. I feel like he can really reach all parts of the field.
Speaker 4: Definitely. Yeah, he's he's got a great arm. He's got a fascinating backstor. He was a wing tea quarterback in high school and he got overlooked and and you know, and you know, on the recruiting trailer or whatever.
Speaker 1: But he sort of learned.
Speaker 4: He sort of has a style of his own as a quarterback because of this, you know, because he was sort of built from scratch when he got to campus at Incarnate Word initially, but he has played an air raid offenses throughout it. So it's funny for a kid that never played in a traditional passing offense up until when he arrived on campus, he threw more air raid passes on campus than any quarterback in the history of college football. Wow, right, because he had that long career and he was in an air raid every single year. Last year it was the modified version of that with Shannon Dawson and before that with Eric Morris both at Incarnate Word and Washington State. It was the more directly the Mike Leech one, the godfather your air raid traditional sort of a thing. But yeah, Cam Word you get a lot of cool things with the armslot. He's one of those guys. You know, you get the three quarters, you can get the side arm, big time velocity. You love that he can push the ball down the field. Of course, he's a risk taker. He's a riverboat gambler kind of a guy. And there's great things about that, and there's bad things about that, and and you know, you get the explosive plays. Absolutely, his explosive to play rate very very high last year. But my whole thing with him and how I see his evaluation as the explosive plays and the inclination leading to those, it's the same thing that is leading to the turnover wherey plays right like putting the ball up for grabs. He has a tendency to attempt passes that other people would not, and he trusts his arm implicitly. But again, sometimes you see him attempt passes that cannot be completed. One thing, when he's scrambling around, he hates to throw the ball away. He doesn't like to say die on a play, so when he's getting close to the line of scrimmage, he will chuck it up. And sometimes you'll see him trying to throw to the third sector of the field outside the opposite hash and then safe, the free safety will come across and grab the ball in the middle of the field and flip it on him. So but it's like, you know, to cut that down, you're gonna be, in my opinion, cutting down his explosive plays in direct conjuncture. It's sort of like the Brett fav Corlarry where one goes with the other. So, Kim Woord, I have him number two as a QB like I do like him, But but you're gonna have to live with those turnovers in the NFL as well.
Speaker 3: So now all that said, I noted this from your article Fantasy Life. Over the years, his turnover worthy plays never increased. He was a steady His turnover worthy plays remained steady and pretty low throughout his entire career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but how much higher can you get the explosive play rate? Like I do appreciate that he kept it there. Well the you know he started and a part of this with Dawson as well, and the playmakers that he had to work with last year at Miami like previously, you know at Wazoo, he didn't have quite the weapons, but you got to go a bit more aerial because of the way that that system design. I do appreciate that about his game. But the turnover worthy play rate, it is elevated, and yeah, he kept it static well while getting the explosive play rate up. But it's you know again, it's three times what Shadier Sanders was last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, so that's number one and two. Do you believe another quarterback will be taken in the first round before we get to your third guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I do.
Speaker 3: All right, where's your landing spot for who I assume will be Jackson Dart Pittsburgh? I think so, yeah, yeah, all right, twenty one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think so unless that's Millroe. But the the you know, and Milroe got invited.
Speaker 1: To the draft, so there is Isn't that interesting?
Speaker 4: There is a mystery team in on Millroy?
Speaker 1: Right, I said that doesn't happen by accident.
Speaker 4: I sent a lot of text messages on that tried to trying to track down what was going on there. It is all quiet on the Western front.
Speaker 1: Nobody swelt we're so close to the draft.
Speaker 4: Somebody knows something, but nobody talking.
Speaker 3: And there's only like thirteen kids to the draft, right, and they've been trying to cut it down because they don't want to embarrass the want embarrassed the kids. Yeah, so why do you why invite Jalen Milroe unless you.
Speaker 1: There is a mystery?
Speaker 4: Darn confidence there's a mystery. Now now you know a lot of people they're making the connection with Pittsburgh and that makes sense on on a lot of different you know, uh, the ways of looking at it. However, Pittsburgh, what was that class that he talked about with two three years ago? They had the option to take a Malik Willis over Kenny Pickett. They took Kenny Pickett over Malik Willis. Right, Jalen Milroe has a lot of stylistic similarities to Malik Willis as a prospect coming in. So now would Pittsburgh would they take Jalen Milroe a couple of years later over Jackson Dart If that was a decision that it came down to, I'm not sure about that. So I tend to think that it is another mystery team that's in a mill Roe. But we'll find out.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a mystery team that could that could be targeting a quarterback at the end of the first round, let's hear it rams, Okay, right, succession planning, Yeah, for Matthew Stafford would make sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they I would think they would be more of the fit for Dart than I did too.
Speaker 1: I don't think. Yeah, it doesn't feel that fit there. It doesn't stylistically.
Speaker 3: But that's a team that would make sense and pretty you know, but pretty much all the rest of the teams that are at the bottom of the the first round, of course, are set at quarterback for the long term.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, let's go to Jackson Dart. He's your number three ranked quarterback from Ole Miss.
Speaker 1: Your comp here is Gardner Minshew.
Speaker 3: All right, Which I say that like you're attacking Jackson Dart, but that I don't think that's quite what you're getting at here.
Speaker 4: No, I just have, you know, some questions about the evaluation where I can't get to where somebody like he won't be a first round pick on my board personally of him as like a top half of the second round kind.
Speaker 1: Of a guy.
Speaker 4: But he's a really difficult evaluation because the physical ability, the athleticism to frame the arm talent, and the pedigree and statistical profile that sort of stuff. All that stuff would point you to this is a first round prospect. Yeah, but he played in the Cotton Candy scheme the offense for Lane Kiffen where it's all the pre snap stuff. Your decision is given to you in advance, and he very rarely went off the first read, so a lot of time again, the decision made before the snap. You just have to make the good throw at that point. But he would miss whether it's open guys or I you know, I saw instances of several on his film of there'd be one dude on one side of the field in one on one coverage, there's nobody else there. He wouldn't even see it because he'd be trying to muscle the ball into his first read in triple coverage. So it's like, and you know, I can't say he can't read the field. He ran Lane Kiffin's system effectively, super effectively. It's just a black box of his evaluation where you can't play offense in the NFL the way that Lane Kiffin and Ole Miss played their offense. So you have to make decisions after the snap in the NFL, once you have gotten information from what the defense is doing. Post snap that's just stuff we haven't seen from Jackson Dart yet.
Speaker 1: So because of that black box, I have to.
Speaker 4: Knock him down from where you know, that other stuff where that would typically point to. I do like his arm, I like his athleticism. But in the profile too, there are a couple scary things that I can point two where it's like where you know, I can sort of justify my trepidation. One of them is on pressures. Jackson Dart of the top ten or so you know, of the relevant quarterbacks in this class, he actually had this highest scramble rate last year and it wasn't really even close.
Speaker 1: You might think it would be Jalen Milroe.
Speaker 4: Jalen Milroe might have been the year before because they let him run a little bit more, but Jackson Dart had a very elevated scramble rate. And it sort of reminds you of remember Sam Howell coming out of U NCY. I liked Sam Howell, yeah, and that, you know, especially that last year he just scrambled so much. I mean he ran for dang near a thousand yards and and you know what you sort of saw there was when the first option wasn't there instead of creating you know, and and sort of going through the progression line. Sam holl would just tuck and run. I've seen too much of that with Jackson Dart.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, at this time last year, I was worried that bow Nicks was a first read passer, and you know, he was much like how you were describing Jackson Dart, where he was just he'd thrown to double coverage, thrown the covered receivers as his first.
Speaker 3: Read too much for my liking. Say, Bonex turned out okay, So you know, it can be coached. It can be coached out of you, and maybe Dart's got the talent for that. You noted his Jackson darts best area is the middle of the field, the intermediate level pass the.
Speaker 1: Part of this stuff that I like, yeah a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the deeper throws that I think he struggles with, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know when when the first read is not there, because a lot of times that he's getting he knows it's going to be one on one coverage on the dude going deal. A lot of times it was Trey Harris. Trey Harris the only runs the straight routes. You know, he's nothing side to side or whatever. But like when he would get those dialed up for him, it was always in one on one coverage. He doesn't do good, especially when he's going to the other side of the field. But yeah, he doesn't have a howitzer, but it's certainly above average arm strength and where at most manifests, it's getting the velocity on the tights iro to the receivers in the intermediate range, which which is the thing that most evokes the NFL type throws in his profile.
Speaker 3: Let's go to your number four ranked quarterback, and that is the aforementioned Jalen Milroe. Your comp here is Malik Willis. So you're getting an elite rusher, yeah, and Jalen Milroe and a very incomplete passer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: This is another tough evail, but obviously for different reasons. Even my QB three Milroe was earlier this process. I did toggle dart ahead of them. But they're close. But the evails are they're they're just different. Mill Row, he's he's got the small hands, you know he was.
Speaker 1: It was eight eight and.
Speaker 4: Three quarters eight and three quarters, yeah, which we have. We don't have much precedent for quarterbacks with hand side like that.
Speaker 1: Come.
Speaker 3: I think your article said, there's no starting quarterback in the NFL that has a hands that small.
Speaker 1: And the last one who tried was Kenny Picks.
Speaker 4: Was Kenny work Yeah nine. The only one really you can evote historically to is Michael Vick, who people forget its eight and a half inches not remember that at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he had he had.
Speaker 4: The small hands, but he still had that Howarzer downfield now, Jaln Milroe, he is tremendous downfield that uh you know, the passes he gets down there, he has all the arm strength in the world. He also has really good touchdown there. When he gets the one on one, looks and dials it up, he usually gets the best of it. That his statistics on those were insane. I'm trying to find it in my in my sheet here. But the problem is comprom to Happy Gilmour because it's you know, it's he can hit the ball a country mile, but he can't put It's the stuff in the intermediate, the short area of the field within nineteen yards of the line of scrimmage thirteen to thirteen TDI and T rate the last couple of years. And this is why Kaylen de Boer essentially shoved out Jaln Milroe. It's why Jaln Milroe is in the draft now. I don't know if he wanted to turn pro right now, but Alabama didn't want him back right like he was not good enough in the pocket. And Kaylen de Boor, by the way, he has a history of turning guy into pocket passers that are good at this, so when he started working with Milroe, it's like, oh, this could be nice. Caitlin de Boor, recall, is the guy that began with Michael Pennox at Indiana when Michael Pennix was just the ball of clay, and de bor got him a couple of years there, got him a couple years of Washington, and all of a sudden, Michael Pennix is a top ten quarterback. So it was like, oh, that's gonna happen with Milroe. He could not get Milroe to do that stuff, and then it became a problem because de Boor tried to pin him into the pocket and the way they got Milroe back with his legs. They did way more designed runs last year than they'd done the year before under Tommy Reese. But in the passing concepts, when a passing play was called de Boor wanted that ball out, and that's you started to get some friction there and down the stretch. I don't know what's going on in there building Alabama, but after Alabama beat Georgia at the end of September, Milroe looked like he was going to be the first overall pick in this class. And then after that the wheels totally came off, both for mill and the Alabama offense. And I think it was that push and pull of Milroe wanting to keep his game but then de Boor wanting him to run the de Boer offense, and it just was not a very good fit. Five and four finish over the last nine games, Milroe six to ten TD nin and T rate in those nine games. But if you get Milroe in a different syst that this goes. You know the Lamar Jackson thing, right, Like, Milroe is not the exact same thing as Lamar Jackson. And I will say Lamar Jackson ran the Earhart Perkins system when he was at Louisville. That's the offensive system that Bill Parcells ran for the Giants, his offensive system Bill Belichick and Tom Brady they did with the Patriots. So he ran a pro style system for Patrino at Louisville. Lamar Jackson did. Only last year Milroe started. You know, it was the Michael Pennox offense.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 4: But in the whole point being going to the NFL, they're gonna have to be some modifications in the offensive system to facilitate success for Jaln Milroe, especially initially while you're trying to teach him the short and intermediate stuff, the anticipatory asses, the timing stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move to your your number five And by the way, you know Milrall's gonna be tempting from a fantasy standpoint because of the athleticism the running.
Speaker 4: Runs in the four three, is it right? Two hundred and twenty plus pounds. Tremendous athlete, Yeah, and a great, great runner.
Speaker 1: He's gotta be.
Speaker 3: The passing has to get so much better that I worry that he's going to be a career backup.
Speaker 1: You'll like your comp Malik Willis, Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's certainly the fear. Yep.
Speaker 3: All right, let's go to your number five ranked quarterback Kyle McCord formerly from Ohio State then Syrahcuse.
Speaker 1: He got forced out by Will Howard. Your comp here is Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if there's if there's a sleeper in this class, you know what, everybody's got the same consensus top four, but if there's a sleeper in this class, it turns into a starter. I don't think everyone else has Tyler Shuck for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. For me, it's it's Kyle McCord. Kyle McCord.
Speaker 4: I really like the way that he sees the field. I like the way that he challenges defenses. He denotes the coverage scheme really really quickly, and he will attack that. It's the thing Cousins, you know, coming out of Michigan State obviously wasn't a good athlete, and he didn't have the howitzer for an arm so so he sort of gets nippicked and ends up going on day three and McCord, it's it's sort of the same thing. You know, it's a decent frame six three two twenty four, but yeah, it's average ish, maybe slightly above average arm strength, but but no better than that. And then again you're you're confined to the pocket. But that gumptionhit he has within the pocket pushing the ball down the field when he has the best of it. I like all that sort of stuff. Last year he's also very good under pressure. He's gotten good under pressure. It's a part of his game that's improved, improved, improved last year. Number four PFF passing great under pressure. That it's it's one of those metrics that I look at. I like the quarterbacks who their their game doesn't creter when they're under duress. It typically projects better to the NFL. And then McCord had won. He had one game, so last year he it was weird. You know, the year before he's at Ohio State, he played with all these superstars, and then Ohio State was like hit the road, kid, we're gonna bring in Will Howard. And then McCord goes a Syracuse. He's not playing with nearly as much talent, but his game jumped up. It was sort of like he was unshackled from having to run the Ohio State system. You know, it's sort of contradictory, but that ended up being the case and he could sort of become his own man. He was tremendous in twelve games last year. Horrific in one. Yeah, the Pittsburg Hide the women, yes, exactly, hide the women and children in that one. He threw five interceptions in that including three first half pick sixes, but thirty four to seven TD nine t rate in the other twelve games, again at Syracuse. So I like his game and I think that there's more potential there maybe than he's getting credit for.
Speaker 3: Calm m accord, your your story. At Fantasy Life notes, he finished number three among quarterbacks in PFF's wins above Average metric.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he led FBS and big time throws. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It's because of the gumption thing, right like, and he just notices the coverage so quickly. And that's the thing that I really appreciate about his game. And he is not afraid, not afraid to push the ball down the field, especially down the seams. He really was hurting people with those they had Gadson with Syracuse State. You know, they would do cool stuff with slots on both sides, and when he got the look he wanted down the seam, he's letting that thing rip and he can put it on the hands there and lead the guy up the field.
Speaker 3: All Right, I've got one more quarterback that I want to do the full breakdown on, and then i'd like you to give me one fantasy relevant sleeper.
Speaker 1: That's Will Howard, who he just mentioned.
Speaker 3: So he assumed the starting role for Ohio State. Your comp here's Mason Rudolph. And I think you know, for Will Howard, he gets dinged just because of the amazing talent around him to some degree.
Speaker 1: And how much of that do you think is fair? It's fair Will Howard. There are certain things about his evaluation. I like, right, like, he's huge.
Speaker 4: You know, six' four and a quarter to thirty, six and he's got THE a to eight raz moves around. Well and earlier in his career At Kansas state we got to see him running around a little bit more because that offensive. System he also has a decent arm you, know as actually in The College Football playoff you start to see him get more effective with, that pushing the ball down the field To Jeremiah smith and the receivers that they had. THERE i my issue with his evaluation is it's a guy who's older at twenty four to twenty. Five With Will, howard he was in college for a, while whose mechanics are still. Messy And i'll give him credit and see he has improved those AND i saw improvement even last, season but it's still not fine tuned. Enough and because of that you see errancy when he starts to lose those, mechanics or when his upper body is not married to his lower, body and and and those sorts of, things it plays down the throwing ability. There so that's that's my issue with. Him and if he hasn't gotten there, yet it's like he get there.
Speaker 3: Exactly, Yeah and given the opportunities that he's, Had Will howard has one thing that makes me really interested in him from a fantasy. Standpoint he would be a tush push. Monster he would if he can find his way into a starting job as a just a good enough, passer he could rack up double digit touchdowns on toosh pushes in the right, system bring them.
Speaker 4: In, yeah maybe he's a designated douche. Pusher, Yeah and, like you, KNOW i think you'll have a career as a.
Speaker 1: Backup you.
Speaker 4: Know, again it reminds me Of Mason. Rudolph Mason rudolph when he had the look that he wanted and stuff like that At Oklahoma. State he could push the ball down the. Field he was, big he was, athletic but, yeah reading the field sometimes under duress and then the mechanical thing tweaks with. That but, yeah you get a potential backup guy, development even IF i don't think he has a starter, upside you get some utility there potentially With beldozer type at the goal.
Speaker 3: Line all, Right so he's being Connected Will howard because his offensive coordinator Was Chip kelly last year and he's now with The, raiders and The raiders Have Geno smith and they Extended Gino, Smith SO i, mean you, know for the next couple.
Speaker 1: Of years, anyway they're set.
Speaker 3: There But i'm Seeing howard mock To Las vegas at like fourth round pick hundred and. Eight do you think That's is there anything there we just looking, for you, know any CONNECTION.
Speaker 1: I could see.
Speaker 4: That, YEAH i mean he's gonna. Go, yeah he's either going to go fourth or fifth. ROUND i think, so, yeah one of those. Spots and it wouldn't make sense With Las vegas for, sure with what the scenario.
Speaker 1: Is is there anybody else you've broken down like twenty, quarterbacks we've only hit. Six is there.
Speaker 3: Anybody else you think has got the potential for fantasy relevance not just like this? Guy could you know be AN nfl, backup but like somebody THAT i could throw my late third round dynasty pick at and you, know there's a ten percent chance he pays off as a starter at some.
Speaker 4: Point on the other guy we hadn't discussed you could toss out for that would Be Tyler. Shuck And Tyler shuck he's even, bigger and he's, well he's, taller and he's a better athlete Than Will.
Speaker 1: Howard he has the physical.
Speaker 4: Package and again there's people in the draft community that absolutely Love Tyler. Shuck i'm not going to be the one banging the table for him because they focus on last year and they focus on his recruiting pedigree and then of course the the athletic, profile WHEREAS i also considered the previous was it five seasons where he had the multiple you know At oregon his first year red, shirt but then when he took over For, herbert they benched him right away because he wasn't seeing the field, well he wasn't good under. Pressure then he went To Texas tech and he had three straight season ending injuries or injuries the rec, seasons so you have durability concerns, there and then it wasn't a guy that broke out until whatever seventh college she's so it's, like, YEAH i, MEAN i know he has some arm, talent AND i know he was sawid last, year and he's obviously has the prototypical frame and he's.
Speaker 1: ATHLETIC i just like him as a.
Speaker 4: Backup is the thing that inoculates him against one of the black marks on his. Evaluation it's the durability. Thing and then also at that elevated, age not having the breakout until the very. End and by the, way he was playing For Jeff, brohm who is a super underrated quarterback whisperer who sent several quarterbacks to THE nfl From. PERDUE i, mean none of them were, superstar but every single quarterback he had he was sent into THE. Nfl So i'm just a little bit lower on. Shuck but if he got into the situation where he's a backup and the starter gets, hurt he can move around a little, bit so maybe he would score a couple of. Touchdowns another guy in THAT ilk i'll toss out Is Riley. Leonard I've Riley leonard eleven BECAUSE i don't like him as a. Thrower he can't throw down the. FIELD i comp him to Righty Tim tebow because it's you, know some of that. Stuff but he is a very good, runner and so if he ever found himself in this situation where he was the backup and then the starter got, hurt you would see a lot of running For Riley leonard as you did in The National title, game where it's, Like, riley you're our. Offense you're just gonna, run, run. Run the first, drive it actually. Worked it didn't work after. That but he's a tough. Kid he's, athletic BUT i do think that there's limitation beyond. That but he could score some touchdowns in THE.
Speaker 1: Nfl this is all really good.
Speaker 3: Stuff as we break down the rookie, CLASS i want to talk to you about a different first year. Starter i'm doing A i'm doing a, slow a slow best ball draft right. Now i'm gonna be on the clock in about eight. PICKS i Have Jayden daniels as my, quarterback one who he took in like the second or third. Round it's now ROUND i think ten or. ELEVEN jj McCarthy is still. There tell Me, omar Say, omar, RIGHT i mean you know this is a great. BACKUP i want Let's i'd like you to give, me presuming he plays the entire, season which is always how we look at. It we're never, like, hey this guy's gonna miss half a season with. INJURY jj, McCarthy give me his passing yards and, touchdowns and THEN i would like you to give me his rushing yards and, touchdowns WHICH i think way too many people are missing the boat on his mobility and how The vikings could use him that. Way and just Because kevin O'Connell hasn't run with his, QUARTERBACKS i think that's been reflective more of his quarterbacks than then scheme.
Speaker 1: Necessarily, well let's say.
Speaker 4: THIS i think he's going to be a top ten fantasy quarterback next, year and he's gonna score rushing, touchdowns you KNOW i, mean and he's gonna get more rushing yards than people. Think super athletic kid RAN. I i had information that he ran in the high four fours At. Michigan kevin O'Connell said that he ran in the low four. FIVES i we won't know that That's kevin O'Connell TEASES JJ.
Speaker 1: Bo, well because he.
Speaker 4: Didn't run the forty during the precraft, process but what he did do was he had the six fastest three cone irregardless of position at the twenty twenty FOUR Nfl. Combine super duper athletic. Kid he usually he uses that you know in the pocket to buy time and then he's tremendous throwing on the. Run but a part of his game is getting to the perimeter of what you, know when there is. Penetration, yeah when he, started you, know starts to buy time offscra and he'll, yeah he'll keep the mechanics with. Him but if a look isn't there when he gets to the line of, scrimmage Unlike Shadeer sanders who stops on a dime there and then waits that you, know for someone to get, open or Unlike Cam moore who will fling the ball try to make an impossible, THROW jj Will tuckett at that point he ain't looking to, talk but like he, will well right if it's the best option and he steals. Yards so, yeah right, away you think about the play. Card you think about all the talent that they have, there The, vikings if they take a guard with their first, PICK i think they have a top three offensive line in THE. Nfl so it's you have all. That so if you have the two good running, backs such a good, SITUATION i think you can be a top ten fantasy quarterback next.
Speaker 1: Year four thousand yards over, okay, great, well let's play over. It we'll play Card.
Speaker 3: Sharks so we're over four thousand, yards twenty eight touchdown, passes.
Speaker 4: Twenty, Eight i'll go let's see last year that would have been twenty, eight would have been how Many Aaron rodgers Had.
Speaker 3: With that, Perspective, okay all, right Then i'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: Five hundred rushing.
Speaker 4: Yards five hundred rushing.
Speaker 3: Yards he's gonna have to have some design play design runs in there to get to five.
Speaker 4: Hundred i'm Gonna i'll go under the five, hundred, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: Six rushing, Touchdowns i'll say five five, okay all, right, okay so we're over over under, under, okay all.
Speaker 3: Right that would that would probably put him close To. Courty you know the numbers you're talking about that put him close TO qb. Ten that would put him. CLOSE i can't What i've been What i've been. Taught When i've been talking ABOUT jj, McCarthy and you do it more THAN i.
Speaker 4: DO i don't talk about anything, else, yeah.
Speaker 1: Almost never to. Me it feels like he.
Speaker 3: IS i can't remember a first year. Starter he's not a, rookie a first year starter to have as much surrounding talent AS jj McCarthy, Has and especially when you consider coaching staff as part of that equation between the offensive, line, receivers the running, game the coaching. STAFF i can't remember a spot where a quarterback has as promising AS jj is as a top ten drafted quarterback into a spot that has.
Speaker 1: More more support around.
Speaker 4: It you got to go back a, while you, know a year ago at this, time people were saying that About Caleb, williams even though.
Speaker 1: He had the terrible offensive.
Speaker 4: Line, yes you, know, okay running back, room but you, know obviously not even mostly not Even, yeah you, know it was because they had the good receiving. Corps BUT i would take The vikings receiving corps Over. Chicago's, yeah, right so, certain and then the tight end as. WELL i would take the running back, room take the offensive. LINE i, mean you would have to go back and obviously the play, caller uh by quite a. Bit you'd have to go back a. While, Yeah so it's he he's in such a good situation there and the game it's it's projectable to, fantasy you, know because you're getting the extra value from the. Legs that, AGAIN i don't think people are baked in right. Now, yeah that's gonna be.
Speaker 3: UH i think THAT'S i don't know If i'm gonna be able to CALL jj McCarthy put him into my sleeper, list BUT i THINK i think he counts he's gonna be a sleeper if he's gonna keep going off the board round, ten round eleven in.
Speaker 4: Drafts i've tried to wake everyone up the last year. Plus but, YEAH i MEAN i suppose he probably would still be considered a sleeper heading end of the. Year, yeah, YEAH i think so we're gonna have to change.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: Trecon, yeah we'll do our best here on the. Show, yeah thank, You.
Speaker 3: Thor we'll be talking again in two weeks as we look through the we'll go through the first round and hit.
Speaker 1: All away from. DRAFT i, KNOW i know so. Close how many running backs in the first. Round it's.
Speaker 4: Good it's either two or. Three BEFORE i was pretty. Confident to starting to hear a little bit, more maybe it'll be. Three, ah the two and a half number is. Perfect i'll still say. Two But I'm i'm starting to go a little bit more towards three the time closer we Get.
Speaker 1: Chiefs could muck up the works at thirty? One you think they?
Speaker 3: Could it's, Possible, yeah if they Love Caleb, johnson, RIGHT i mean there's you, know that's a team just you, know if you're looking for somebody at a team at the bottom of.
Speaker 1: The First This pacheco, thing the way it played out last year was weird.
Speaker 4: Man, yeah, yeah, yeah they. Could, yeah. Definitely he's a running back and maybe. Maneuver but, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: ALTHOUGH i Got caleb going to The bears at, whatever thirty, NINE i think he goes, yeah, right have fired a. Guess, YEAH i.
Speaker 4: THINK i am going To dallas in, mine you, know Because schottenheimer put in the zone the whole.
Speaker 1: Deal oh, yeah that makes.
Speaker 4: Sense caleb got to get to his own, system but he gonna be, very very. Good would you rather have him Or henderson if you depend on the? Scheme, yeah for his own run Team caleb for. Sure, Yeah, YEAH i think so.
Speaker 3: Too and from a fantasy, Standpoint caleb's just The dude's gonna get a lot of.
Speaker 1: Touchdowns oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's so powerful in, church like for my, job like you have to ring people like in a, vacuum but like you, know if you're doing it for AN nfl, team you obviously have an offensive. System IF i ran a zone running, SYSTEM i would Have Caleb john TO rb two in this, class behind only. Genty but like you, know obviously he's not a fitting. Gap so it's, like you, know you have to sort of bake both those things In omar And hampton is scheme versatile where he could do either. One there's a lot of a lot of zone AT u N. C but he's also good in gap. Concept so it's, like you, know you just have to sort of ballpark that stuff when you're you're ranking him in a.
Speaker 3: Vacuum For omari And, hampton IF i were to IF i were to put any one player in the second half of the draft on any one team AND i had to get it, right my life's on the, line it would Be hampton to The.
Speaker 1: Broncos they're gonna take if he's, there don't you think? So? YEAH i? Do?
Speaker 4: YEAH i mean will he get to twenty is the? Question or will will Mister peyton start to get antsy if he you, know will will they move up, right because there there are a couple other teams sniffing, around and if genty goes super early where Whenever gent, goes you're On hampton watch, Right and so it's like how long will he linger out?
Speaker 3: There so if genty goes, FIVE i don't think he's Gonna i'm A i'm kind of off him on The raiders right. Now If gent goes, five would you could To? Jacksonville that's a pot that's the first possible landing, spot or a team hoppin, yeah or maybe or maybe a team goes, up but he's got to get by The saints or. Possibility, right you, know as soon as genty goes you're right that now running backs back on the clock In dallas at, twelve.
Speaker 4: Because i'm Saying dallas at twelve becomes a spot For. Hampton, Yeah AND i think that's why that's become. Popular it's, like, yeah If gent's off the board there for a, while Would dallas? Wait would you wait until the second, round you, know when when all the guys could get picked off by that, point or you just take care of it then now.
Speaker 1: We're just wrapping draft. Stuff, yeah not even talking.
Speaker 4: Quarterback, yeah, well, hey when are we going to get a? Touchdown Tommy? Mallott yeah, Right, cops.
Speaker 3: Your comps are so much fun because most people's comps are like the best possible outcome for this, player and you have comps Like JIM, sorgi.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah well, yeah wait on, Yeah Jim sergey was The canadian Kid Taylor TAYLOR. Elgerzma, yeah a, Touchdown Tommy. Malot we gave Him John rice. Plumbing but, yeah The Montana state kids shout out to.
Speaker 1: Them four three.
Speaker 4: Nine Tommy malot ran in the pre draft. Process but it's always. FUN, dj you our. FRIEND i commed him To Jamie. Newman remember From Wake.
Speaker 1: FOREST i don't, Remember Jamie. NEWMAN i haven't Breaking i've been not been breaking, down.
Speaker 4: Uh With Jamie newman And Sam hartman were at started their careers together at Wake forest once upon a. TIME i Know Jamie newman played Over Sam hartman and.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah but Then Jamie newman, declared and the restless, history the.
Speaker 3: Fact that we're talking about anybody From Wake, Forest Harold fannin's you, know that's the.
Speaker 1: Rare it's the. Rare.
Speaker 4: Rake what's the well fan And Bowling Green?
Speaker 3: Forrest, yeah, shoot never, mind should just edit this, out But i'm.
Speaker 1: Not i'm probably not going to him lazy At perry Wake. Forest oh, yeah, yeah there you.
Speaker 3: Go all, Right so that that's WHAT i was gonna, ask because who was the last relevant Wake forest?
Speaker 1: Player? Yeah, yeah At perry is. Irrelevant, Yeah Max brosmer gets gets. Drafted he's got a real.
Speaker 4: Shot, yeah you, know usually we get somewhere twelve to fourteen. Drafted HE'S qb twelve on my. Board maybe it'll BE qb eleven on some other, ones thirteen somewhere in, there but he is right on that cut. Line but, yeah coin flip shot For max and maybe even a little bit better to get.
Speaker 3: Drafted, yeah you, know you get a you get an accurate passer guy that can process the. Field he just doesn't have an nfl arm to, me now that's a d. Arm but but you get a lot of the other intangibles that could make him somebody who won't lose a game for.
Speaker 4: You, yeah he's gonna hang around for a while because he can Make he makes the quick decisions and he makes good decisions with the. Ball he just is an athletic and he doesn't have a big. Arm so it's a lot of it's a lot of paper cut. Stuff but he it's it's a guy that wouldn't necessarily crazy Embarrass yeah when, yeah if he was thrown out there due to, injury it's just your offense would have to change. Obviously the spacing would constrict and on you real. Quick, yeah the field gets shorter With.
Speaker 1: Max that's.
Speaker 3: It, yeah for, sure you are the best they talking in two weeks after the first, round onto the.
Speaker 1: Draft thanks for, listening. Everybody Fantasy Football weekly back next. Week Fantasy Football weekly is a production Of. iHeartRadio for more podcasts From, iHeartRadio visit The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever you listen to your favorite. Shows