Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in special episode of What's Right with Nick Wright Ever bringing you today for the holiday break, if you will, where We're gonna look at four of what I've been told are my best takes of the year, and that must have been hard work. I mean, I for the producers to find just four. I mean We've got all these episodes, all these takes, and the producers had to spend their you know days, right before Christmas finding just the four best, and then equally hard, I would imagine be finding my four worst, because how many episodes did you listen to start to finish all sixty minutes and you're like, damn, not a single bad one. I mean, that's a lot of work for you guys that you guys are putting in the extra hours around the holidays, which I greatly appreciate. Demand. Let's start with the best, and we should have some sound associated with all these demons. Go ahead, what's the first one?
Speaker 3: You started off twenty twenty three with an all time heater. You doubled down on the prince that was promised in the Jags beating the Chargers in the playoffs last year, even when they were down twenty seven points, you still bet on your guy, Trevor Lawrence and it paid off. You celebrated with a victorious IG Live.
Speaker 2: The Jaguars were four and eight, and somebody had the foresight to say, they're still winning the division. And I told you guys a month ago that the next time they lose was gonna be in Arrowhead to the Chiefs in the divisional round. No, you don't say everybody laughed at me.
Speaker 3: To undefeated on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Undefeated on Saturdays. I forgot about that stupid take I had.
Speaker 3: Does this belong in your top four winning takes?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Definitely. You were there with me for that watching that whole game. That was crazy and the I mean, it wasn't looking great in the first half. We're not gonna lie. Uh And you know what take, what take other people had that I didn't, That actually is a take that aged really well, was that the Chargers should have fired Staley right after that game, that they should have moved on from him right there, that they weren't gonna Yeah, and that was that one's not even mine now Trevor. Unfortunately, Trevor this year he's dealt with some injury. I thought that he was gonna have an MVP caliber season. He obviously hasn't. I still think the Jags, if he's healthy, are dangerous come to the playoffs. But yeah, we'll always have last year when I never abandoned the two and seven. I think they were at one point Jacksonville Jaguars all the way to a playoff victory, and then they went to Arrowhead and threw a scare into my Chiefs after Mahomes got hurt. All right, next, all.
Speaker 3: Right, next up, we have your most viral clip of the year. When you called out the tush push.
Speaker 2: I said it six months ago. I'll say it again, I will eventually be proven right that tush push play is a.
Speaker 3: Blight on the league.
Speaker 2: It's bad for the sport. It should not be allowed. The reason the NFL will ban this is because the place sucks. It's not exciting, it takes all suspense out. It's an ugly play. That's it. The NFL changes rules all the time to make things a better television product.
Speaker 3: He said it was an unattractive play and that it was bad for TV and called that it will be banned. A few months later that it will be banned, and a few months later Commissioner Roger Gourdell caught out the play for that exact same reason. We'll see if you're truly right after this season. But that's got to be up there with one of your best ones, right well.
Speaker 2: Listen, I just I this is one of those times where I'm just surprised other that I'm allowed to be like the only person saying something when it's so obvious to me, Like everyone was talking about should it be, is it fair? Is it not fair? Is it dangerous? Is it alt risk? And it was just so obvious to me. None of that matters. The NFL is a television show, and this is terrible television. The NFL is going to change it. And now what you're seeing already, I believe, just my hypothesis is the NFL is trying to almost grease the skids to changing it by enforcing more procedural penalties on it. You saw Jason Galzie get penalized for moving the football on it this past week because they do not want that to be a central part of the offense for one of their marquee teams. That was so clear that that was gonna happen next.
Speaker 3: You were right on your Chiefs at the at the beginning of the year through the end with your mantra never a doubt on their way to their second Lombardy of the Mahomes era.
Speaker 2: Who could have seen it coming? This God Doog show, that's who could have seen it coming? Let's go, Oh it's the Bills year. Oh the Bengals have their number. Oh they're gonna miss Tyreek Hill. Oh mahomes Is hurt. Ain't a day thing matter when you have that quarterback and that coach.
Speaker 3: Your confidence continued to grow as you made some prold predictions for this season. Will this become a Category two take well?
Speaker 2: The undefeated year obviously is you know, died on Opening Night, which almost almost made it so bad it was good.
Speaker 3: That almost like.
Speaker 2: Calling for a team to go twenty and oh and they don't get to one and oh is just kind of like hilarious. And had they like started five and oh and then lost, it wouldn't have the same panache.
Speaker 3: As what happened.
Speaker 2: Yea. Now I believe the Chiefs are gonna win the Super Bowl, and I though the way my super Bowl pick is Chiefs Cowboys. It would be great. I was so close to having it dead on last year, and I'm sure we'll talk about that later when I had Chiefs Niners. Yes, I'd love to have a Chiefs Cowboys super Bowl. But the most fun for me, for the TV show for everyone is a Chiefs Niners super Bowl. That's the most fun. The most fun is if PERTY just keeps rolling, wins a League MVP days before the Super Bowl, and then takes on the Chiefs. That's the outcome that I think sports fans deserve. I don't think that's the outcome they're going to get because I don't think the Niners are gonna get there, But that would be that would feel like the highest stakes for me of any Super Bowl imaginable. All right, last one, have you ever.
Speaker 3: Been more right on someone than Draymond Green this year? He's always gotten into on the court trouble. But after a Shenanigans in Sacramento, you said the juice is no longer the squeeze. Well, dreywond kept going down the same road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so we'll see. Listen, I I want to be I mean, obviously Draymond's not dealing with the decline of his team and his play well, and he's going through some things I don't I don't really buy though I've said it before and I'll say it again. The punishment of like has to go to counseling and it's indefinite. Doesn't jive with the fact that he said it was an accident. He said this last thing he didn't mean to do. And so you if you're someone who it is a clumsy analogy, I apologize, but has gotten two DUIs and then you get arrested for a third and you tell your friends, family, everyone that will listen. Guys, I know I've made mistakes in the past. Time I didn't have a drop to drink. I fell asleep, the cop was wrong. He's I'm going to fight this. I know I've made mistakes. I was not drinking. And then the next day you check into rehab. It's like, well, hold on, wait a minute. Draymond sat at that press conference and said I was trying to flop. I did not mean to hit him, and then the next day the NBA says you need to basically undergo counseling for anger management.
Speaker 3: Well hold on.
Speaker 2: So, in my opinion, part of Draymond, since it's an indefinite suspension, part of his return to play, should have to be him. And you know acknowledging no, I was lying there. I definitely meant to hit him because I'm a maniac at this moment of my career on the court, and the part of it that's the It sucks for Steph because Steph is somehow as good as ever. Clay is coming on a bit, but we know Clay is a diminished player, and Draymond is flailing about literally and physically. All right, last one, DeMont before we get to and I don't even know how they found four of them, but go ahead.
Speaker 3: You got a quick bonus take here. So I was away some time ago at you and Dora had a debate over a which was the best barbecue spot or barbecue place between Kansas City and Houston.
Speaker 4: It's kind of a general consensus that Texas has the best barbecue, and.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you that that is nonsense. If we are ranking barbecue, it's Kansas City one, Memphis two, the Carolinas three. That's the list.
Speaker 4: Number one is Texas according to what DOORA second is Memphis according to what do Youora heard is Kansas City, Missouri.
Speaker 2: According to what do youorra Google? You agree with me on this right that Texas barbecues is good but overrated, and Kansaity barbecue is the best barbecue of anywhere in the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't go as far as to call it overrated, but Kansas City barbecue is definitely better than Texas. And I'm basing that much.
Speaker 2: It's only it's only overrated by people who say it's the best. Something can be good but not even close to the best. And your sister really infuriated me that show. She was like, no, it's Texas. Everybody knows it. I'm like, what do you mean? She's like, look and she she was like, look at this and showed me like a Google page where it was like Texas is the best, Give me a break. That was the worst take. Door didn't give many takes, but that was the worst take anyone gave was the Texas over Kansaity barbecue. All right, what am I losing takes? What are we doing here?
Speaker 3: We're losing takes? All right? You may have been right on Casey last season and maybe right on them again this year. Maybe, But when it comes to betting on your Chiefs, let's just say you have not done your best. It's actually an intervention. We are urging you to please stop betting the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Oh, Nick, you always picked the Chiefs. False.
Speaker 3: I definitely knew.
Speaker 2: I definitely knew that I tend not to include the Chiefs and Knicks picks.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: But I typically, and you know this, Demanse, do not pick the Chiefs and Knicks picks.
Speaker 3: That's my favorite saying.
Speaker 2: I don't typically put the Chiefs in Knicks picks because they're not a great covering team. And you guys know I don't pick the Chiefs every week. The Chiefs actually are rarely in the picks. Two not three, not four, not five, not fixed. Yeah, I think Ken City went. It's when it's only a point and a half spread, you don't have to do much analysis. Who do you think is gonna win?
Speaker 3: Stop it, get some help. Just stop betting with your heart, bet with your mind. You're straying away from the process. Let's get back to the process. We are not going to get back on top of things with a few weeks that we have left if you keep betting the Chiefs, especially as heavy favorites. We know that it's never been the thing to do. Let's rally. My teasers are in the dumps. You still have life. Let's get into it. None of us gonna pass the night. You know we have to be better. All right.
Speaker 2: Well that's really well done by you, guys. I didn't see that coming. Now. I didn't realize I'd bet on the Chiefs six times this year. I didn't realize that every time I've done it, I've said I typically don't. Now six times is you know we're sixteen weeks into the year. That's not even every other week. I also will say this, if I was looking at that correctly, I'm two and four betting the Chiefs one of those losses was the Jets game when Mahomes took a knee instead of scoring a touchdown that would have given me a cover, right. Another one was the Bills game when the referees stole the cover from me. So in my heart, I'm four and two betting the Chiefs the Packers. One was bad. I got that one wrong, and I don't even know what the other the Backers item laying six they lost by eight, and I don't even know what the other one was where I didn't cover. But uh yeah, I mean, listen, I thought about including them in Week sixteen against the Raiders minus ten. I didn't. Well, by the time you guys see this, we'll know whether or not that covered. Uh But what is noteworthy is in the history of Nick's picks, I don't think I've ever bet against the Chiefs, which is probably bad process. I've never once taken the team playing the Chiefs to cover. That's probably bad process. I can admit that, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, you are the harshest critic on the then two time reigning MVP Nicola Jokic in early twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: This is the part that kills me about the voters A lot of them are talking at folks or writers and they make predictions. Very few are picking the Nuggets to win the title. Why not? The West is wide open, they have the best player, they have home court. Shouldn't they be the title pick unless you actually, deep down don't think he's the best player, in which case, stop giving him the MVP every year.
Speaker 3: And why you have come around to the on the Serbian It did take a while to get there. How hard was it to swallow this one?
Speaker 2: Well, listen, I was wrong on certain things, and.
Speaker 3: So here's just wrong. You were just wrong?
Speaker 2: Well, well, I was wrong about his ceiling and how great of a player he was. There's no doubt I was wrong about that. I didn't see what other people saw. I was wrong about that. I was not wrong that giving him a third straight MVP would have been crazy. I was not wrong that giving him the back to back MVP when his team was a sixth seed I thought was the wrong result. I still feel that way about those MVP awards, that it was giving the a second straight MVP when MVPs, except for Russ, had always come from teams that were a top three seed, and certainly not breaking the President we're not gonna have a third straight MVP. I stand by all those I was wrong about how good he was and wrong about what the Nuggets could do. I was wrong about those things. My feelings about the historical precedent mattering for MVP awards. I don't feel like I was wrong about those. I don't, But I was wrong about the big picture stuff. What demanse go ahead?
Speaker 3: I mean, the third year that you said he shouldn't got the MVP, he went on to win the finals. Yeah, still on the same side of that argument.
Speaker 2: Because everyone because hold on, okay, because so for two reasons, if I may just quickly, one is leading into that. When I was making the case the guy just got bounced in round one, let's not give him a third straight MVP, everyone told me I'm a clown and that it's a regular season award for this year only, so what happens in the postseason shouldn't matter. Now folks are saying, oh, now the postseason does matter. I agree, the postseason matters, which is why in a just world he wouldn't have won it the year before, and then he could have won it last year. But overall, yeah, I was wrong about yo kics, that's correct, but the MVP stuff I stand by next.
Speaker 3: Next. You might not call this a losing take, but I am. We will. You had two fifty to one tickets this year and you were so close the Chiefs Eagles, Super Bowl EXACTA and the Lakers to win the finals. The producers and I begged you to hedge, and you refuse to time after time and ended up losing. Would you take it back, knowing what you know now?
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: No, I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: And here's the thing. Here's the thing that I don't that maybe I don't want to sound fatalistic, but the fact of the matter is this, I'm gonna die with money leftover unless something goes terribly awry when I'm when I die, there's gonna be some amount of money left. I'm not gonna have drawn down to zero. So all of these me not hedging. It just is actually costing demands a door Indiana money. It just draws down what they eventually will get. Like so, I'm fine, I got a good job, I live a good life, and I'm not hedging. I don't gamble to hedge. What's the T shirt we were gonna make? I'm a goddamn gambler. The I'm not hedging. I forgot what it was, but it would have been a good, good T shirt. All right, last one, go ahead?
Speaker 3: All right. Admittedly you could still be right on this one, but fading the forty nine ers has not has not looked great this season. In the preseason gambling show, you bet them to win under ten and a half games and raise plenty of red flags about their season to come. They're the number one seed in the NFC. Now it's not too late to join me in the public. Do you think this will turn into a category of two? Take or will uh? Or will I be proven right?
Speaker 2: No, it's a category. It's gonna be. It's gonna be my most legendary category.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be so glorious when six days after I am proven right on a massive playoff stage, when the Niners with the script will probably be something like this. The Niners are playing a playoff, the NFC championship game, and somebody makes a mistake, somebody fumbles, or there's a tipped pass, pick or something, and all of a sudden, the games not perty's fault. The game script goes against the Niners and they're playing from behind, and then, as we saw perty that month, he had to play from behind, the picks come, the mistakes come. All that's gonna happen. I am going to be able to be the one media member that never wavered and four days later he's gonna be handed the league's MVP Award. That's what's gonna happen. So this will be a category two. Our producer, Victor, Victor hold it up for the camera. We actually did make these T shirts. I forgot it and we just never sold them. We should sell them in trintage. Can we all have this T shirt? Hedging is for cowards and stock traders. I'm a gambler. Oh, I love it. I want to wear that T shirt. I love that. I didn't even know we actually had a mate. See you guys in twenty twenty four. Hey, it's Nicker right. Thank you so much for watching. Please do us a favor click subscribe. It helps my ego and Demonsey's got a financial bonus writing on a number of YouTube subscribers, so help him out. And also the bell. I don't know what the bell does, but they tell me to tell you to click the bell and you're audio listeners, people that have commutes, strives, whatever it is. Subscribe to the podcast as well. Wherever you get the podcast, same show, just you know, just in your ears instead of through your eyes. All that check it out, appreciate your