Speaker 1: Scrubbing In with Becca Tilly and Tanya rad and iHeartRadio and two time People's Choice Award winning podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello everybody, we are scrubbing in and it is a very exciting day. Do you know why? Tell me one of my favorite people will be joining us in ther Do.
Speaker 3: You know she has been on Scrubbing In twice, two times. She's a third time returning guest.
Speaker 2: Third time People's Choice Award winning podcast guest.
Speaker 3: Yes, she's coming for a third time in studio.
Speaker 2: We love her so much. You may have known her well. I grew up watching her on The Vampire Diaries and then we became just close friends. And she's here promoting her new show, We Were Liars, which is going to be out on Prime very very soon on June eighteenth. So please everybody welcome Candace Key.
Speaker 4: We're so happy to have you back on Scrubbing In.
Speaker 5: I am so excited to be here.
Speaker 6: This is truly I'm like, I mean, I'm excited to be part of the show, but I think I just filmed the show so I would have a reason to do pr and come here and hang out with you guys.
Speaker 4: Let's be on it.
Speaker 2: I missed you. I miss you, guys. I haven't seen you since we went to Nashville. We were there for Ben and Jess's wedding. So what year was that? Twenty twenty three, one, twenty one, Oh my gosh, yeah, twenty one. A while the sum I saw, No, you came here one other time. I've seen you one other time since, yeah, but still long distance, I know, far away in like miles, but always close to my heart, always close.
Speaker 6: Well, that's the beauty of social media is I can always be like, I know exactly what you guys are doing all the time.
Speaker 5: I know watching all the time that.
Speaker 3: Too, I know, like I know what you're up to. I'm following your social media.
Speaker 4: I know. The last time we had.
Speaker 3: You on it was over Zoom, but I think we talked about social media and you were just like.
Speaker 4: I don't know what I'm doing here.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I'm just like, well, she's crushing it, doing all the trends.
Speaker 5: I'm really trying.
Speaker 6: I do work with someone who helps me, because otherwise I even just like I truly had to have a conversation. Was like, Mallory, but how do you make the words like pop up and then disappear like that? I'm on like that level of figuring it out. The green screen thing was like mind blowing it.
Speaker 2: I can't even do the green screen myself, So you want to step ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to realize, like, all of a sudden, it was expected that we're all just editors.
Speaker 4: You know, and I've I've always loved.
Speaker 3: Editing videos, so it was I just once I learned how the apps worked. But I'm like, this was not a fair thing to throw onto people that all of a sudden, we're supposed to be able to film.
Speaker 4: Direct, produce and edit our videos.
Speaker 6: Yes, and then also like be clever enough to be like funny with the video.
Speaker 2: Funny.
Speaker 6: It's a very stuff, but you know, we're all in it together. And and I like to give credit where credit's due. But I do work with someone awesome in Nashville, and her name is Mallory and so she she is the to my my yang.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, so you were here because you have a new show called We Were Liars. We're going to jump into it, but I want to talk about last time. I feel like last time you were on our podcast, I met you and I was like freshly dating my now husband, and you were so sweet to me, and like, I think you gave me your number because I reached out, So either I like hunted it down somehow or you gave it to me.
Speaker 5: We I think it was even before that.
Speaker 6: We sat down at like that, like there was like a luncheon or something, and we might have even wore the same outfit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, bring your bestie, and we were.
Speaker 6: Like sitting next to each other and we talked about like especially being in a relationship or dating someone, or the when you were potentially dating someone who has kids, and I was like, call me, yeah, and it's a different you know, It's just it's nice to have someone who understands because it's a whole new thing to navigate.
Speaker 2: I can't even explain to you, Like I call you my stepmom savior. She did say that, yeah, because you don't realize when you're like newly in that phase of life you and none of your friends, Like you go to your friends for guidance, but none of them you can't really understand unless you've been through it and you've done it. And so it's like I was getting guidance from my friends, love them all, but like you not helpful, and I feel like you really took the time and like you were so helpful with me and just shared so much, and like I will literally never forget it, and I always want to be that for somebody else. Now, well, thank you for saying that.
Speaker 6: And I really like you know, I we were saying before we got on it, just like it's I feel like I've been watching like on social media and all these exciting things. I'm just so happy for you. And and it's funny, it's like you don't especially at the beginning, it's kind of a hard thing to navigate and dance through. And then now especially I've got, you know, having had children of my own, and then you know, seeing my you know, step children become adults and realizing like, oh a lot of it just also takes time. And then we think that, you know, when you do have like a child that you've known since birth, you have this like patience and understanding, and it kind of it's a different process, like we expect to fall in love with someone, like with a partner's children, the same a rate at which you fall in love with your partner, and that's just not how it works. Like you have to make space and time to build a different relationship with their children as well, for both parties, not just for the children, but for you as well. Yeah, and but it's just, uh, it's a really you know, unique and magical experience when you have the time to experience at all. So I'm just I'm just so happy for you. And that's also very kind of you.
Speaker 2: To say no, Like I honestly like want to be that for anybody that I come in contact with, Like I offer my phone number to anybody and say, like, if you have any questions, I'm here, because it was so helpful, especially in the beginning when you like have no idea what you're doing. And so I just like, I love you, and it's like so crazy because I've loved you. I was a fan of Vampire Diaries, so I was like, oh my gosh, Like it was was like and now she's giving me like step mom advice.
Speaker 5: I was really crazy.
Speaker 2: And then I've like watched you go through so much in life and like you're newly engaged. So I feel the same way about you. I just love you, and I will support everything, like I will watch We Were Liars on repeat and I'll just have it, thank you, I'll have it refeeding on my TV even after we finish watching it, just to support you because I just love you so much.
Speaker 6: Well in life, I feel like you kind of need like unless you're in it, it's hard. Unless your friends are in it. You need that kind of camaraderie community, like whether someone's experiencing grief or whether someone's experienced like you know, if someone is watching Secret Lives of normal wives and someone else is not, you are not having the same conversation, like you need to be in that world together to really get it.
Speaker 2: Do you watch it?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 6: Yes? Of course I do.
Speaker 2: Oh man, season is so good.
Speaker 4: You're watching it?
Speaker 2: I just started the second season, but I never watched the first season.
Speaker 5: Oh, I know that's a hard jump in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like I brought your whistle in the first season. That is, you're in the deep end his ice cold water.
Speaker 5: Did I get here?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 4: That's how cool Ton.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's a lot, it's a lot right now.
Speaker 6: I I yeah, Well, I'm here for you in that space.
Speaker 3: I'm curious about jumping into a new show. Do you be cause you are so beloved from being on the Vampire Diaries, and I've always had I've always wondered as an actress, obviously, being on a long running show is like dream and the goal, right if you're acting in TV. But at a certain point, is there that feeling of like I'm ready to move on and be known as someone different, as a different character, or is there that part of you that is just like, that is what it is and this is just my new project.
Speaker 6: I think if you would have asked me ten years ago, I would say, I want to be known for something else, in a different character. And now I'm so happy that like to be part of a character in a series that people that they kind of hits that point in a lot of people's hearts, because I have shows and I have characters that are like that for me, and and I would be devastated if someone was just like, oh, it's so annoying you know that someone would associate me with that, and and and so I love it. I'm fine if someone wants to call me Caroline till the Sun comes up. I love that the show has meant so much to other people, So it doesn't like I'm thrilled to have been part of.
Speaker 3: That well, and I also think it it has spanned generations like it was like Tanya's favorite show.
Speaker 2: When I was like a teenager and now and then it was.
Speaker 4: My younger sister's favorite show when she was a team.
Speaker 2: And I'm actually trying to rewatch it with my husband because he's never seen it, and I'm like, I think he liked it, but it's been so long since I've watched it that I like, don't know, But.
Speaker 4: I mean you can't. You never know when you're on a show like.
Speaker 2: That, is it going to spand the test of time?
Speaker 6: And it has stood the test of time. I stood the test of time. I think there's also the shift in this industry, like the way that we consume entertainment. It looks very different, you know. I think had this show come out in the nineties, I think it would have a different feeling right now.
Speaker 4: But this is.
Speaker 6: Something that came out where people were watching it every week, and then suddenly when it was able to be streamed, there was a global pandemic and the world shut down, and everyone was home watching TV and either rewatching shows that they loved yeah or made them feel sudden yes, or suddenly we're old enough and wanting to watch it rewatch it with their own kids, or watch it with new friends, and it kind of took on a life of its own in a whole new way in the pandemic to the point where I feel like I get recognized more now. I do more like fan conventions now, like it feels like there is a relevancy around the show more. Yeah, and there was then it is very.
Speaker 2: And Julie's Plack, right, she created the Vampire Diaries.
Speaker 6: Yes, she So, Julie Plack and Kevin Williamson created the Vampire.
Speaker 2: I remember her name like it was like very prominent on all the yes, yes, all the intro. So the name like for me as a fan, like it out and she did. She created We Were Liars.
Speaker 6: So Julie Pleck and Kreena McKenzie co created We Were Liars.
Speaker 5: And so Rina was a.
Speaker 2: Writer a relationship with her from back then that she was like, I want to do something else.
Speaker 6: At D And Karina was a writer on the Originals. So I've known Karna forever. So they and they've they've wanted to bring We Were Liars to the screen for like ten years, but it's just been happenstance for maybe like the book was already optioned and then fell through and then the book got reoptioned and then fell through, so they truly uh and then they got the option and then there was a strike, you know what I mean. So this has been We had this lovely dinner that they hosted. It was this big lobster dinner in Nova Scotia where we filmed, and and truly when they made you know, Julie made a speech and Karina also made speeches, and there's like we we've wanted this for like a decade, like this means so much to have everyone here, and Emily Lockhart as well, who with the book has like wanted to see the story come to life. And so it's really it's just I think this is just exciting for all of it. But I mean I told them I would come. I just was excited that what they've been chasing after to like put onto the screen actually is like made it to the screen. I would have done catering if they if that was like what I got to do on the show. I was going to come visit them and bug them anyway.
Speaker 4: That's so cool. So have you read the books?
Speaker 3: Yes, the goal would be that there's multiple seasons per book, is it?
Speaker 6: We would love to have multiple seasons of this show.
Speaker 3: Is there a lot of pressure doing a TV show or a movie that's based off of a book where it has such a huge fan base, Like, do you feel the you know, because when you do something off you know as a viewer or reader, when you see the movie and it totally strays from the book where it's an opinion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, everyone has.
Speaker 3: An opinion, but the book, the book world has a lot of opinions, and especially when it's a book like this where there's like a cult following.
Speaker 4: Did you feel any of that going on?
Speaker 6: Yes? Is there a books that I've said, Like I remember reading Something Borrowed in a day and like being like, so, being like this was my like book and I want to now it's a movie, and like I had it in my mind a certain.
Speaker 4: Way to live up it.
Speaker 6: It did. It was you know what I mean, Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Don't read much, but Something Borrowed I read. I read that whole. It was like something borrowed, something blue, something whatever, something something. Yeah, And so I was a big fan. And I remember watching the movie adaptation and I was like the book, they didn't live up to them.
Speaker 6: It didn't live up to the book from in my opinion, Gone Girl, I think crushed the book because I read Gone Girl. In my opinion, reading Gone Girl, I remember when the when the flip happened and I was on a plane and I like audibly gasped, and I was like, oh, I am in because everyone said give it one hundred pages. And I thought that the movie did the same thing.
Speaker 5: But so you never know.
Speaker 6: I mean, as far as for this book, I think there's more pressure. And I say this with great li of there's definitely more pressure on the writers.
Speaker 5: And I think that like they wanted to.
Speaker 6: Serve not only the book lovers, the og book lovers, because there's like this viral thing on book talk and a lot of people, a lot of the readers of the book will post a video of them crying when the book is over, and so it's a whole thing talk. Yes, it's very big in book talk, and so they there is definitely like a very passionate community behind this book that you know, of course all of us hope that they're happy with it. And there's also characters that are expanded upon. I mean, the character I play best, Sinclaire, is you know, not as prominent in this book as she is in you know, the second book, but you get to know the the other family members a little bit more than you would But the core of the book, as like someone who did read the book, is very much there.
Speaker 2: If you had a summarize, if you had to kind of say.
Speaker 6: Like elevator, elevator, elevator culture.
Speaker 2: Which but yeah, if somebody who has never read the book doesn't know what it's about, how would you like blank meets blank.
Speaker 6: It is a.
Speaker 5: It's a story about the story within a story.
Speaker 6: I know, my elevator pitch is so hard for this to me.
Speaker 2: What you did last summer?
Speaker 6: Well, did you read the book or did you watch the whole thing? Okay, so it's it's a little There is a psychological thriller element to this story. It's about this family, the Sinclair's and the Sinclairs or if you think of like you know, Kennedy esque, murdoch esque and of wealth, very very old money, wealthy family. And they escape their cities and go to their private island, Beechwood Island, every summer and that's where everything is perfect and magical and there is not a towel unrolled, There is not a you know, muscle not wait or a oyster not waiting to be you know, eaten, and a whine not waiting to be sipped. Everything is just perfect there of this perfect family and their perfect children, and there is a summer in which something really bad happens, and so the story goes back and forth between the summer before the bad thing happened and the summer after the bad thing happened, because no one will say what the bad thing was, and our central character, Kaden Sinclair, is trying to figure out what happened to her and why she was left alone on a beach to wake up by herself. So it's a lot of secrets, it's a lot of family history, and it's also this beautiful young love story where she's trying to figure out was it my family, was it like my first love, my boyfriend?
Speaker 2: Was it this?
Speaker 6: And and it's all set in this insanely gorgeous backdrop.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's kind of like the summer I Turned Pretty meets a perfect couple. Well, a little bit of that, a little bit of that meets I Know what you did like summer. I don't know, I keep going back.
Speaker 4: I think that's a slasher movie and yeah, I know you did.
Speaker 6: Last Summer is a slasher movie, and I'm not gonna I feel like we're not closed to give spoilers. But it's not a slash It's not a slasher movie. There is no man dressed up in a Fisherman outfit with a hook.
Speaker 3: Every time she kept singing and I'm like picturing, I'm like listening to the wrong movie.
Speaker 6: So it's like Summer Retern, Pretty meets the Exorcis. The era's tour needs Taylor Swift. Sure, Yeah, we've got crazy Abrams singing in one of our trailers.
Speaker 8: So yeah, it's a summary turned pretty thriller meets happy.
Speaker 5: Gilmore me.
Speaker 3: Well, I watched the trailer and at first I was like oh, and then I go oh, I love something with like a twist or trying to get.
Speaker 2: I think I'm going to be very into this.
Speaker 6: It's very I like the book I read very very quickly, and the show I got a sneak peek and I pinched it very quickly, even though we were already there filming all of it.
Speaker 2: But how many episodes? Is the first eight eight seasons and they're all great to be episodes episodes.
Speaker 3: And they're all coming out at the same time, so they'll be able to be benched. Yes, do you like a binge worthy show or do you like to saber a week week drop? You know, like, if you're watching a show, what do you prefer?
Speaker 5: I prefer a week.
Speaker 6: A week, But I also think that that's really hard with spoilers. I like the one episode a week for like a like the Studio I've loved for like one episode a week, and Hacks I think is great. But with this kind of show, I think it's really hard for spoilers. And I do just kind of want to live in the world like a good book and just kind of like make that my main focus.
Speaker 5: Like the Mormon Housewives, it all comes.
Speaker 7: Back, you have range, comes back to mom talk. That's how they say it. I'm interested because you're you're an actress. So when you watch shows or movies, is there a feeling of I know that they're acting?
Speaker 4: Like you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Is it hard to watch like reality shows?
Speaker 3: Sometimes I'll garden, which is me getting high, and I'll watch the show and I'm like, I feel like I know that they're acting, but I'm like, is this how actors feel watching a scripted show, nonscripted show.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean I think that we all know that they're acting. I want to hang out.
Speaker 6: I want to garden with you and watch some TV. I this sounds and this could be a whole show in itself that I would watch. I No, I mean, I think the hope is that you feel people can get lost enough in the entertainment that they don't feel that. I think inevitably in all TV shows. You're like, you know, when I was watching Hot Frosty over the holidays, I was like, oh, he is acting like a snowman. Believe.
Speaker 2: I believe all of it. I literally believe all of it. And then whenever I'm watching something, I think I see these people in my real life. So I'll like be at like the coffee shop, like our local coffee shop, and if I'm watching like Breaking Bad or something, I'll be like, Tuco's here, Tuco's uncles here, And my husband's like, no, he's not like you think every you think you see everybody from every show that you're watching. I'm like, yeah, it's like.
Speaker 4: A man with a mustache and You're like, I know who that.
Speaker 6: Is, La, right, thank you?
Speaker 5: You know, like that's always the crazy.
Speaker 6: That's why I thought was so weird about living here, is just like because that's how my brain works too, Like I'm never like, oh my gosh, that's uh, like I would always think it's like the character from the show always yeah yeah yeah. But then that's the fun thing about like seeing Housewives out in the wild, because I'm like, oh, that really is Lisa.
Speaker 2: Van Yes, right, like I know her.
Speaker 3: I yes, yeah, well that's what I'm That's what I was gonna ask. Is it more fun for you to watch reality television because it's almost just like so far off from your world?
Speaker 6: I think that I think that the way like the storytelling in reality TV now is really it's so good, like it is. These are not like obviously it is, these are such reality but like you know, these players, these women predominantly are just there come in to work and give story serve storylines, and but even the way that they are edited is just I mean, it's really it's it's a good storytelling. And I stand by that. I stand by that so firmly.
Speaker 3: I'm just laughing because I tried to watch the Mormon Mormon Wives the first season, and I was like, I can't get past the fact that they know that they're being filmed and being produced.
Speaker 4: To ask these crazy questions.
Speaker 3: Like I can remember the first episode they sit down, they just had like sat down, they hadn't.
Speaker 4: Seen each other, and she's like, so have you had a threesomes?
Speaker 6: Like to act given the people what they want?
Speaker 5: So you've but you've also.
Speaker 6: Seen behind the curtain. You know what I mean, you've seen behind the curtain. You've done interviews like that where and like that's where like I have to block that out. Like of course I know that they get to get like all the trips are coordinated by action. We know that, Like you know, even on like the Valley, we know Kristen Doty's just coming up in there being like, oh, well you take your wedding ring off.
Speaker 5: We need a storyline this week.
Speaker 2: I just have to say I'm very impressed with your like it's embarrassing no versatility and your plethora or what is your your range? Do you watch everything and and you watch book talk and like you read all these books and I'm just like, like, I'm just very impressed with all of it. You Thank you.
Speaker 6: I think you're the first person to use the word impressed and my fiance is like a little like concerned.
Speaker 5: He's like blink twice, like you don't know where you are?
Speaker 6: Because does he secretly like it? No, No, I've gone him into a few of them, like what he loves traders, like give me give Alan Comming every award. We should just make up awards to give him at this point.
Speaker 5: And uh.
Speaker 6: And then my kids and I love shows to we'll do we do movie jars. So that's where just for like anyone who's like, what about the scripted? Uh, we watch a lot of movies, like I love a movie jar with the kids where we'll pick a you know, something that they haven't seen.
Speaker 5: And uh.
Speaker 6: But for TV we do like the Masked Singer, and we do Dancing with the Stars, and we like Vote. We get very very into it. So he, you know, he's also gotten into those a little bit. He's like, Mass Singer is a pretty entertaining show. I'm like, yes, it is, sure is.
Speaker 2: Who would have thought a bunch of so I've never ran it, but I've been wanting to feel a show I would love.
Speaker 6: But I just want to go on record to say, whoever makes the rules they change every season, I don't understand them, but God love you.
Speaker 5: I am in Like there is always.
Speaker 6: Like a very show that I would like and none of it makes sense. I Like every time he's like, well, why who are these characters now, I'm like, I don't know, but they're a whole new group of people this week and he's like, well, they're from two weeks ago.
Speaker 4: It's like, I don't know about the mess singer. Yeah, they changed the rules on the I watch it now in.
Speaker 5: A couple of years in a row.
Speaker 6: And every season there's like a new twist of like a lucky duck or like a competition, like we're bringing this back from five years ago.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, but canvas they have to keep the audience, like guessing, I Love Island does that too? Yeah, Like they're always adding in like these new things. I'm like that you did not do that last season.
Speaker 6: Yes, but I'm in mita now I'm in so I'm locked in.
Speaker 2: Wait, I do want to Okay, So I you mentioned your fiance. I didn't know, so I knew you were dating somebody for a long time, and like you told me his name and it just loo was in one of year out the other, Like I didn't even connect the dots. And then I was in my pilates class and I was talking to Mary, our mutual friend, and she was telling me that he's the guy from Yellow Jackets, and I was like.
Speaker 9: I love that guy, Coach Bensah, I love him, do you too.
Speaker 2: I don't know him personally, but I love him in the show, and I love how happy you are, and I just I'm so so happy for you that you're just like thank you showing the things.
Speaker 6: And his joke is that this is just my long game as a fan girl, because I too love Yellow Jackets, and so he So Stephen worked on The Originals, which was a spin off of The Vampire Diaries. So there were times when we probably lived on the same block or we're in the same rooms and would just say like oh hi, But no, never had a conversation. Did not register who he was. He was very much in his you know world. I was in my world. And it truly wasn't until a couple of years ago and I just had gone to a convention and our mutual coworkers were like, oh, yeah, Krueger's coming to dinner and and I was like who, and then and I was just like yeah, I'm single and on a trip and just like trying like hanging catching up with friends. Definitely not single and ready to mingle, but just like was there and I was just like who And then he he gets there and he like everyone's talking to him like I should know him too, and then suddenly they're asking him about this show where he's on this island and I finally was like, you're coach Ben and he's like yeah, and we also like worked together and were like.
Speaker 5: But also your coach Ben.
Speaker 6: But it wasn't until another year or two where we ended up going on our first date and kind of got to know each other better.
Speaker 2: Whilst you like an invisible string.
Speaker 6: There's very much and the invisible string was very invisible until it was very visible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it happens like that. It really like whacked you in the face.
Speaker 6: It was like home alone, like tripping over the string and it was like set up by Kevin McAllister back in the day. The string was like couldn't see it like a ghost like Casper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, does he have the same story or he sees.
Speaker 5: That we've met.
Speaker 6: He remembers multiple times, but he like, you know, I was married. He he also was in long term relationships and so there truly.
Speaker 5: Was no recollection.
Speaker 6: But he's like, you know, I remember meeting you like a read through and like in the hallway work being like o hey, and I'm like, yeah, no idea, you know, but I'm like the.
Speaker 5: You were just focused, very busy, but yes.
Speaker 6: And it wasn't until yeah, uh, you know, just getting to know each other later and then being like huh, it's funny though, when the light turns on.
Speaker 2: It's just there.
Speaker 4: The moment of how did I'll reconnect? Was it text?
Speaker 6: Was it a d dinner? It was just it was a different dinner. Oh, totally different dinner.
Speaker 2: I got to do more dinners.
Speaker 6: It was, yeah, just a dinner that you forget, like if you've especially friends that need. Even at that point, I wasn't trying to like it was very much. I was very happy and in my own world and I was just like and yeah, I was like huh. And I told her mutual friend. I was like, you know, I'm so happy I'm never dating again, happily. Yeah, my my ventures into dating was just like one comic relief moment after the next, and I just.
Speaker 2: Was very hard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I somehow set my like when I like tried online dating, I somehow sent set up my account as like mail for mail, and so I kept like looking on the first day being like man like, like dudes are really into like short shorts, these like cut off dead him. It's really like popular right now, How did you do that?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: And it took it twenty four hours to like fix and caliberry because I swiped on a few.
Speaker 9: Of them and I was like, oh, quite flat, like they're like oh I I was just like all my pictures were like me and like sensible trousers and like my friends like you have to post a bikini photos Like I cannot do that.
Speaker 6: I'm not a bikini photo gal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what were your prompts? What were your like dating app?
Speaker 6: Oh god, I didn't have anything, Like I didn't even write anything because I was too scared to like say anything.
Speaker 5: So it was just photos and it was like smile and love.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like sensible leather trousers, you know me and like like a caftan like you know, a giant moomoo holding a glass of wine, you know. And yeah it was not I did not get many swipes on on that, so yeah, I quickly deleted them and was like, I think I just need to heal myself and not like be searching too much, and that was much better. And then I ended up at dinner and was like the lights turned on and I was like, well, that's funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I when you go through something publicly, like obviously going through you, you have to announce the process of splitting up, and it's you were with someone who is in the industry you can't like prepare for how did you navigate that of going through that and having to like share it because it's one of those things that if you're going to move on, people need to know that one chapter has ended so that you're moving It's a clear cut of like.
Speaker 4: Okay, now you're moving on to the next. Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 6: There wasn't really much of an announcement. I think that I think that this is something that we all have to deal with, is that we've all done to ourselves for the most part, because we you know, between social media and even if you aren't on Instagram, I'm sure you're probably on a Facebook page. It's very rare that someone's just not on anything right right, and so beyond just like you know, experiencing that process for yourself. I think we, you know, so many have experienced, you know, having to have some sort of like how do I navigate this in this like you know, online world that we're all living in. And I don't think that there's necessarily one right answer, except that we're all kind of this guinea pig generation figuring out how we navigate, you know, whether it's like jobs or relationships or friendships or you know that we put on that people are like watching and when there is like a change that happens, and.
Speaker 2: That's like the best advice because I feel like everybody, like everybody's so quick to you know, say somebody is doing something wrong, or like you should do this and you should do that, and it's like you should just you're so right. There's no right or wrong way to really handle anything. And I feel like I discovered that so much in this in my like current relationship, because I was such like a what's right and wrong and like I need to do everything the right way, and I'm like, there's really not. It's like everything's like a blur of just like what feels right to you, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I often I feel like the big conversation. Even that happens with a lot of my friends right now, especially in Nashville as are like older kids get older and having nine year olds is like what about phones? What about technology? And how do we have these kids be you know, how do we introduce them to technology? Keep technology away from them, you know, the young generation. And I think we also have to look at ourselves. And you know, we've kind of been this like our own guinea pig of announcing things, which it used to be like you do an announcement in the paper, you know what I mean, people, or you send out like a happy card every once in a while. But we're really keeping everyone up to date, not just professionally, but personally. And we also started all of this when you would put all personal. I mean I remember on the Vampire Diaries we had contracts that would say you don't take one photo or post one photo of behind the scenes. You don't like do any nothing. Whoa yes, so it is complete, completely flip flopped.
Speaker 2: So yeah, just I want you to do that.
Speaker 6: Social media was like personal, let's get to know you, and now it is like professional, like we want all the behind the scenes content. Make sure you're taking pictures. I mean even going into filming. We were liars last summer. It was just it was just I had to giggle to myself where they were like, we want you guys to just take as many videos and photos as you want. You could just be videoing everything like and save it for, you know, to next year, because you're gonna want something, which is so true. You're gonna want to like post and like celebrate and remember it and share it with people. But it is just so fin I have to remind myself that wasn't that long ago, when like social media was just a different vehicle than.
Speaker 2: It is now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think we're all figuring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so true though, Like I watched people now and the way that these younger in their like early twenties go and just talk about their breakup and talk about things that they're going through. They come out there's like this confidence of like their mentality is like we're on this tiny spec on this on this earth, and we're we're gonna be gone. Who cares? And I'm like I don't have that at all. I care about everything.
Speaker 6: No, I am still like Paris filter check, like let me make sure everything is spelled right, let me name everything I'm doing, and like, let me record ten videos just to say like.
Speaker 9: Hey, I can't stop.
Speaker 5: I can't stand on the side.
Speaker 4: I can't stop.
Speaker 2: I can't either.
Speaker 6: I literally like we're doing we have the big premiere for We Were Liars next week, and I was like, fitting, I'm getting real fancy with a stylist. She's going glam and and I was like, I need you guys to tell me how to stand, Like how do people hold hands now? Because now they do? Like was it this Selena Gomez?
Speaker 4: Like you put this?
Speaker 5: Everyone does this.
Speaker 4: That's that's hard.
Speaker 5: That's a hard yeah in Korea from South Korea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just.
Speaker 2: Discovered this like two days ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I know.
Speaker 6: I went to Soul and I remember everyone was doing this. I was like, do we need a tip?
Speaker 5: And I was like no, it's just the heart symbol.
Speaker 3: So I've been noticing the pose everyone's standard, but like with.
Speaker 6: A limp hand, like a delicate it's like if your hold the hands with someone, you hold hold your hands in front of you. That's like, this is the new move. Not not that this was our move. This is move Like was you you do this and you poke it out and then you do a little red tilt collar bone and head tilt. Skinner and head tilt is what we called it back in the early.
Speaker 2: Ons and now and now it's.
Speaker 6: The you clutch, a tiny a tiny limp wristed clutch. Yeah, it's good, it's good. Good word, really good.
Speaker 3: We obviously your ring is so beautiful. Thank you you announ So you got engaged? Did you was there any expectation of that coming?
Speaker 4: Did you have any idea?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I'm an adult. We definitely talked about it.
Speaker 4: I hope the proposal.
Speaker 7: No, I will say I think right though anyone el says I had no idea.
Speaker 4: I did not talk about, Oh did y'all talk about getting married? I'm talking about did you have any idea? When he surprised?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he surprised me. I'll leave it at that. He definitely surprised me. And it's been nice. We've had we've had we had some time before like I posted anything online, So it was a good like month and a half almost two months.
Speaker 2: So do you know what I'm not going to ask you when you're getting married or how you're getting married and who you're inviting?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 2: Because that was my biggest pet peeve.
Speaker 5: Because it becomes your whole. It becomes like and I like talking.
Speaker 2: I loved talking about it, but it was I just didn't know, and so anytime somebody would ask me would make me feel like I don't know, and so then I would feel like I'm behind, Like I always feel like I was behind on the planning because I just didn't know.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, I would have no answers for you anyway. Yeah.
Speaker 4: See, yeah, it's very easy answer.
Speaker 5: It's a very easy answer.
Speaker 6: But no, we're just we're It's been nice to enjoy it, but it was also nice to have some I know, I had a girlfriend just take some pretty pictures. So it's been you know, just but yes, he surprised me, but it was not a surprise coming. I think everyone should at least have a conversation and not be totally surprised. Not that I'm your mother and you should listen to me, but I'm just saying.
Speaker 3: How has it been because you stepped into the step parent role? How has it been watching your fiance step into a role?
Speaker 6: It's been great? Yeah, I mean and again, like everyone, it's just such a unique experience to each family and it's really. You know, it's a personal and unique experience to each family. There's a different dynamic for everyone, just like kids have completely different dynamics. Yeah, you know, my oldest like lives in like gym shirts and T shirts, and I mean she did get dressed up for Harry Potter last night. She was very excited and like is obsessed with linage, and my.
Speaker 2: Four year old like what's lineage?
Speaker 5: That like lip masks, it's all the tiny thing.
Speaker 6: And my four year old wants to only wear like sparkles and princess dresses. And you know, it's like every every kid is different, every situation. But it's been it's been really great and special, and you know that's one of the things.
Speaker 2: That's the one thing I get asked all the time, like, oh, I haven't met as kids and it's been three weeks. I'm like, girl, I've had nine months of that. So like it's like everybody has their own Every relationship I feel like has its own like time timeline, and like there again, there's literally no right or wrong. It's whatever is like right for you. And I feel like that's like there's so much like beauty and freedom in that.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's so true, have your kids process because the well I'm assuming the nine year old that you are a celebrity and in the industry.
Speaker 4: Does she get it?
Speaker 6: My nine year old gets that. They're like, there's people know who I am. My four year old is like, I think, just starting to get it. Usually everyone's pretty chill and so it's not too obvious. But there was someone who, like, not aggressively, but it was like a mom and daughter I think, who like followed us in a parking lot and while I was like walking my kids to the car, and my four year old was very confused, like why because you know what what just happened? And I usually when I'm with my kids, I politely go, you know, I'm in mama mode. It's so nice to meet you, not right now. But so my nine year old thinks I'm very mean. Yes she she's I say that, Yeah, she's told me. She was like, you know how you like Taylor Swift, Well, to some people you're like meeting it's like them meeting you is like you would be you meeting Taylor Swift, and it's just really sad that you won't even take a picture with them, and you don't even like say, hi to them, and I'm like, mommy takes pictures of people, but when I'm with you, Mommy's in mama mode and Mom's a mama bear, and like I'm not.
Speaker 2: It's funny that she's able to like.
Speaker 6: Process, Yes, she she just doesn't like when people are like filming when I've asked, like, yeah, she that weirds her out appropriately too, But again it doesn't happen very often. My running joke is that everyone usually that everyone usually recognizes me when I'm ovulating, like there's just something about like I'm extra sparkly and I'll just get stopped all day long and I'll check my app and be like, yep, yeah, it's just those pheromones.
Speaker 5: Because it's the fan pheromones.
Speaker 2: There is something too that I know, Yeah, you're like peak are when you're like flowing and.
Speaker 6: Apparently just looks super Caroline Forbesy that day.
Speaker 4: When you go to the fan conventions, is there anyone that you.
Speaker 3: Get to see that you don't normally see from the cast or the you know, working in the because I know a lot of those fan conventions.
Speaker 4: There's different shows, Like we did one and it was all like.
Speaker 2: A First Responders, But I don't know for y'all, is it just just the Vampire Diaries and the Originals to.
Speaker 6: Be The European ones are usually a lot of different people. Okay, so there's like European comic cons where a lot of us go and it's a whole bunch of different people and usually a few cast mates. And yeah, there was like there was one that I went to and it was like a lot of people from a Viking show and so every once in a while you just hear like, ah, like these chants and I think like someone had like one of the actors like cut his ponytail off and like wave it around, and I was just like.
Speaker 5: Ooh, I can't imagine.
Speaker 6: There was a little interesting time. And then a lot of the ones here locally are more geared towards like just usually the Vampire Diaries or Originals, and yeah, and Legacy's crew. But there is a fun one that happens like where we used to film in Covington, and I think they're doing it in Conyer's later this fall. But it's wild because it's like back where we were filming, and everyone goes and so usually there's like a big dinner and it's it is really nice to see everyone because we don't see each other that often to live all over the place, but where we were together for eight years, so we pick up just like family, and we all know, like you know, it truly feels like we're all cousins. And there's always that like one crazy uncle where you're like, ah, there you are, you know, and we just it's it's really fun to see everyone.
Speaker 4: Well, I was gonna say, because you you do.
Speaker 3: A show like that and you're all you're young, you're in this like kind of just not trapped together, but you're it's a work.
Speaker 6: I called it the traveling circus that never traveled anywhere.
Speaker 5: Traveling circus.
Speaker 3: So obviously when there's that many people, there's and be like little dramas and whatever. But at this point now when you'll see each other, is it just like all that's behind you and everyone just like is happy to catch up and get along.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're all grown ups and we're all there working as well, but it is just yeah, it's nice to just be able to kind of giggle and hang out and it really is lovely to see everyone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, yeah, those are long days. I know, it is. It is always tough. The dinner is always really really fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 6: That's where we all get to like actually catch up because in between you're just I mean, it is fun to be there with fans of the show. Because it was eight seasons, people usually have like rebinge it or have watched it multiple times. And so the other funny thing is you'll go to like a lot of these panels and these meet and greets and with like smaller groups of people, and they be asked all these questions that like you have no idea what the answer is. Yeah, where they're like why in episode fourteen of season three did you put the moonstone here and not here? And I'm like it's time.
Speaker 5: I'm like, we had I mean, we were all babies.
Speaker 6: I was twenty one when.
Speaker 5: I got that job, so it took crazy just before.
Speaker 6: My thirtieth birthday, so we all really came up together and and a lot of we were in Atlanta, Georgia for nine months out of the year.
Speaker 5: We would you know, we would.
Speaker 6: Film all day on a Friday and wrap at midnight and all as a crew as well, about probably like fifty to seventy five of us usually go to like a wine bar and all hang out and.
Speaker 5: Decompress from the week and be like see Itt four.
Speaker 6: Am on Monday. You know, we hung out all the time.
Speaker 2: So cute, so cool.
Speaker 3: Do you have any like in terms of next projects? I know that you're you have this show coming out. Do you have any dream castmates like opposite of you that you would love to work with?
Speaker 6: Oh? Man, I mean usually I know I never have a very good answer for this, but I'd love to just be around funny people. But then i'd have to be Maybe I could just be like a pa on a funny set. I don't know if across from a funny person, but I could get them coffee and laugh at all their jokes really really well.
Speaker 4: I'd love to see you in a rom com.
Speaker 6: I would love to do a rom com.
Speaker 4: D give me Kate Hudson how to Lose a Guy?
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: My dream is just to be in any Emily Henry movie that's coming out, because I know all of her books are going to be turned into movies.
Speaker 5: Like I love Book Lovers.
Speaker 6: It's one of my favorites. And like you know, Happy Place I know is already coming. I love It's a funny story. I just finished reading not that long ago, and it's so good.
Speaker 5: I really don't I really don't read that much.
Speaker 2: To me, I haven't.
Speaker 8: Overwhelmed with the amount of books.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I am so behind Candice right now.
Speaker 6: No, I don't sleep, like it's a real problem. It's funny coming here. I knew I had to sleep. So I was at the store. I was like, oh, I should get something to help me sleep, but I want like a vitamin, even though those don't like in my brain, I'm like, oh, they don't work. You know, I'm doing air quotes for those who can't see me.
Speaker 5: And so I got melatonin and I was like, well, I got it. Just so I got the.
Speaker 6: Mega one and that's like ten milligrams. I guess that's a big deal. I don't know that just popped and I finally slept.
Speaker 2: Oh let me sleep works really well too? Yeah, not sponsored just a fan.
Speaker 4: Are you not sleeping? Because do you never like you've never slept?
Speaker 6: I do. I did ever since I had kiss a vampire I am a vampire obviously, and ever since I had kids. I think I always have that little voice that's like I have to be prepared so somewhat conscious, somewhat conscious, like always listening for like the cry on the other end of the of the wall or something, but uh if someone wakes up. But I yeah, and I just want like my time, like a TV's my best friend. I want to hang out with her at night and and then if I can't sleep, I should pick up a book and and then you know, and then yeah, too much, too many things.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's your favorite Housewife season? If someone's never watched a Housewife.
Speaker 6: Oh, if you've never watched it, I would do I would do I would do Salt Lake City or Potomac. Oh wow, oh wow, expected, unexpected. I would do Salt Lake City because it just comes out the gate running with like Mary Cosby, you know, and in Genshaw when we know what's come in a couple. Genshaw getting arrested is like a perfect hour of television. It plays like an hour of twenty like an episode of twenty four. And I would love for anyone to try to argue me that it's not like Emmy words television just saying perfectly.
Speaker 5: Like no notes. And then Potomac it just it also like the.
Speaker 6: First like four seasons are crazy like the season I want to say, like season three four gets really really good.
Speaker 4: Are you still watching The Bachelor at all?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: I know, I feel like I just like there's too much and and I was like, come along. I feel that's where my daughters I watched, Like that's the TV they replaced that time.
Speaker 4: I see you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, your family TV.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I took over.
Speaker 2: We have.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we do do other things.
Speaker 6: I promise we eat meals without any televisions. I cook a lot, We go on family walks, we go to the playground, we went.
Speaker 1: To the theater last night. Cookies, we make ice cream. Stephen time and a day there is Yeah.
Speaker 6: He's obsessed with the Ninja Creamy. Do you guys known about this Ninja creamy?
Speaker 4: Like no, sure, creamy dog.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's the thing.
Speaker 6: It's this whole world of people that like love the Ninja creamy. And this is not sponsored by Ninja Creamy, but I would love to be sponsored by Ninja Creamy. And and he like goes on deep Reddit threads to find new recipes and ice cream.
Speaker 5: Yes, but you can make it like super healthy, so you can.
Speaker 4: Use your homemade almond milk.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, and it tastes like real ice cream, so my kids think that they're having this like crazy decadent treat and then like it's just like Steven in the corner being like, yeah, nailed another recipe. Ninja creamy yes, dates and almond milk yes yes, and like protein powders, but like, oh yeah, he's obsessed, Like he keeps like a catalog of the flavors.
Speaker 5: He's rating them, he's trying different, Like you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Different, something up my alley.
Speaker 6: I think you'd get into it, Yeah, get into it. But there's a serious Yeah. The TikTok of the Ninja creamy community is they're no joke.
Speaker 3: No, That's That's what has almost got me into it because I'm like, I think I could do this with the help of the TikTok community, but I didn't know there were subreddits.
Speaker 4: Yes, I haven't gone that deep. Careful.
Speaker 5: Apparently it's a slippery slide.
Speaker 3: After I was on The Bachelor, I had gotten on Reddit and before the season aired, people were so nice.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, beca.
Speaker 3: I think because they had already seen spoilers that I made it further, so they were.
Speaker 4: Already so nice to me.
Speaker 3: By the end, of the season, I was like, I'm never getting on Reddit again, because you know, if they were rooting for someone else, they just automatically didn't like didn't like me if they were rooting.
Speaker 4: For someone else.
Speaker 3: So far, so Reddit has been I've stayed off Reddit since my Bachelor days.
Speaker 6: I mean, I can't do the Reddit. The Reddit stresses me out. I've never been on Reddit. I don't, I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't recommend it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know, even with the show coming out next week, everyone was like, the fans will really jump in on Reddit. So Reddit community, if you're listening, friend, I love you, I will make you Ninja creamy ice cream. Yes, I support you, I'm rooting for you. Yes for me.
Speaker 3: But to be honest on something like that, obviously you shouldn't.
Speaker 4: Read things like that.
Speaker 3: I don't feel like anyone who's a part of the show should read things, but someone should be reading it because when it's a show or something, any attention that's going to get people to watch it is good.
Speaker 6: Well that's why I know, there's always like the worst thing that anything can be as and anyone can feels indifference like you want them to love it or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, passion.
Speaker 5: Yes, And I will say like.
Speaker 6: There is no indifference to the to the storytelling and this show like you you're going, it's going to make you feel one way or the other. And I think again the viral book talk videos like say it all like you will have a feeling, it.
Speaker 5: Will make you will have an opinion.
Speaker 4: Wow, are there any.
Speaker 3: Site list from on the show that are different from the book?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Oh, there are no, no, not that I can remember.
Speaker 6: I know that. I feel like I should probably fudge that answer and like you never know. Yeah, but no, if you're a reader of the book, I truly feel that the things that are different are just that, you know, some logistical things that but really it's just that you're expanding upon characters and maybe finding out some of the things you would have learned about certain characters and later on you kind of get to know them a little bit better early on. But other it's really, you know, it's I don't know. I have a good feeling that the readers of the book will feel good.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited show. So I'm very excited about this.
Speaker 2: So it's called We Were Liars. It is coming out June eighteenth, and you can watch it on Prime yep.
Speaker 6: All at once, all and then you can watch it again, and you can watch it again.
Speaker 2: I will watch it again. I'm one of those people like I if there's anybody that I love, I will rewatch. They're like, I'll just have it on. I'll watch it once and like actually pay attention, and then I'll just have it on the TV for the support it.
Speaker 6: I will say it is a beautiful like it's also a very it's a very fun show to watch. It's like it grips you. And then I've obviously I'd watched many I'd watched the episodes a handful of times before, and so when we got the screeners to watch them again, I just found myself still being like, man.
Speaker 5: It's so pretty there, gosh, Like I want to be there. I want to be running on that beach.
Speaker 6: And I was like, I did do that, but I want to go back and do it again. Like it's just so it is just esthetically this like magical dream world, and the escapism is real and it's not just like the whole thing is also it's an escapism for the characters. They kind of run off to their own island, but as a viewer. You kind of get to go on that journey with them and escape like life, and escape from your couch and just be like, I want to be drinking wine next to this family and listen to them just crazy.
Speaker 4: Did you how long were you filming?
Speaker 6: We filmed for five months in Nova, Scotia.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that's far away for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know.
Speaker 5: I road tripped up there.
Speaker 6: I brought my car and like just packed it all up and road tripped up there. I got this like airbnb. It was this old it used to be an old bed and breakfast from the eighteen hundreds. Like it was like by the water, and it was close to a lot of the locations and just kind of like had this whole little summer life that was just And my kids came up for a few months too, which is great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so nice.
Speaker 4: Idea of driving your You drove your car up there.
Speaker 6: It was, it was.
Speaker 5: It was very nice.
Speaker 6: It was nice to like have those I'd never done a road trip like that by myself and I live in Nashville, so it's quite it's quite a drive, but it was it was nice to kind of quiet the mind especially was like, I don't know, I'm a working parent. It's and there was of course like inevitable mom guilt that I have and you know, the oh, you're leaving your children. I was like, well, now if I'm providing, thank you. But yeah, it was nice to kind of be able to collect my thoughts, and I think it is. I think as women, it goes often like a box unchecked that we for us to prioritize time for us just to be alone and adventurous and curious and quiet and weird and just like in that mode a little bit. I think we always have like a trip plan with friends or like a couple's thing or like something that's always like structured. But just to kind of get in your car and be alone with yourself for a few days is intimidating and then also really healing on the other side.
Speaker 2: I love that interesting.
Speaker 4: We love you so much.
Speaker 3: You're beautiful, you're kind, you're so talented, you're literally everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're just you've got it all.
Speaker 6: I'm like the ninja Creamy, the subreddit ninja Creamy have all of the recipes.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we love you so much. Everybody, everybody please binge we relyars on Prime June eighteenth, binge it again and again and again more seasons.
Speaker 4: And where can everybody follow you? On social media?
Speaker 6: Yep, I'm on Instagram at Candace King, and on TikTok, I'm at It's Candace King.
Speaker 4: Jill's trying to get that blue check mark on the tick tack wonder you're still trying to get it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Oh my gosh, they're they're very it's tough over there. Yeah, I'm in the I'm in process. They're just making sure I'm making it's yes, yes, apostrophe, it's Candace yeah, Cannis King.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for stopping by you and thanks for coming back and scrubbing in