Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our Daybreak anchors all around the world. Straight Ahead on the program, we look ahead to the Last of the mag seven earnings with Chip Giant and video reporting. I'm Nathan Hager in Washington.
Speaker 3: I'm callin Heppoon, London, where we're delving into the special election that could redefine the UK's political future.
Speaker 4: I'm Doug Prisner, looking ahead to Indian Prime Minister in Narungramodi's visit to Israel in the coming week.
Speaker 1: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend on Bloomberg eleven three zero, New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one, Washington, DC, Bloomberg ninety two to nine, Boston, DAB Digital Radio, London, Syria XM one twenty one, and around the world on Bloomberg Radio, dot Com and the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 2: Good day to you. I'm Nathan Hager. We begin today's program with earnings from AI Chip Giant Invidia, the last of the Magnificent Seven, reports its end of year results after the close of training on Wednesday, for more. We're joined by Kun John Sabhani, senior semiconductor analyst for Bloomberg Intelligence. Great to have you with us on the program, Kun John. Of course, in Vidia has been at the center of the AI spending story for so long, so where do you see the bar when it comes to Invidia's results this time around?
Speaker 5: As usual, the expectations will run high. You know, folks are expecting the usual or if not better than the mid single digit beaten race that we have gotten used to with them, which I think is quite possible given multiple drivers that have gotten better since their last quarterly earnings. You know, we have heard from the largest customers of Nvidia, and most of them have increased their CAPEX projection significantly, some of them forty to fifty percent in case of Google and Amazon for twenty twenty six, so that really helps. We have heard of deals being made since last quarter with these hyperscalers and other customers adopting millions of units of in Nvidia, which should drive further upside to that five hundred billion number that Jensen had provided end of last year regarding the Blackwell and Rubin backlog through twenty twenty six. So estimates are running higher than that, and we expect them to give indications that it is going to run higher than that. And finally, the third key point will be visibility on resuming the H too or I should say starting the H two hundred shipments to China because that continues. Will be a key upside driver if that happens soon. And we did see AMD start to ship some of its prior to generation chipmates to China in this quarter when there is a reported results.
Speaker 2: Let's take some of those points in turn. John, you mentioned the millions of units deployed. I think that was an allusion to the announcement we heard just a few days ago from Meta Platforms. Does that sort of raise the bar when it comes to the outlook that we're expecting to hear from Jensen in the call this week.
Speaker 5: It does raise the bar for the full year. I don't know if it raises the bar for the next quarter. Outlook that deal with Meta, you know, it's a long term deal and the lead times will be longer than to get the revenue in this quarter, so does raise the bar for the full earth.
Speaker 2: And when it comes to the pipeline for future chips, we heard Jensen talk about the Ruben semiconductor being on track for the second half of this year at the recent conference that Nvidia held. Are we expecting any more clarity when it comes to some of those next generation chips video.
Speaker 5: I'm sure we will hear some commentary that evaluations are going well, etc. Remember, this was a very unique time. Usually at CES, Nvidia in the past has not talked about their next generation products, which are released at the end of the year. Usually they saved that for the GtC, which will be their marquee event happening in March. Them talking about this this early in the year gives gave investors confidence that there would be sort of no hiccups with the Rubin ramp as they're aware with Blackwells, So that's a good news. We'll definitely hear some update, but I think most of the big news will be saved for him to talk about at GtC next month.
Speaker 2: And when it comes to the re entry of the H two hundred ship that you mentioned in China, we've heard jenst in the past talk about, you know, even keeping China revenue off the table, they're still going to put out pretty significant numbers. How important is it though, for Nvidia to get back into the Chinese market to keep its momentum going.
Speaker 5: I think it is definitely important. Look, most of the other areas they are dominating, so investors are very aware. So this is a market which if it does open up significantly for them, they can go and grab another significant share, a dominant share. Before the shipment sanctions had come in and Vidia was a dominant share of that market, So definitely very important. Could easily, you know, if the gates get open, you can easily think about adding somewhere between seven to twelve thirteen billion dollars back, which is a substantial amount. Yes, we'll not move. I mean if the company is going to about to be making one hundred and fifty two hundred billion dollars, you can argue five to twelve billion is small, but still a significant upside.
Speaker 2: Of course, there's been so much discussion within the market about you know, whether there's too much spending in AI, whether it's circular spending, and even this AI disruption trade. How do you expect in Nvidia's results to color some of that debate on Wall Street?
Speaker 5: I don't think. I mean, if anything, a better results from in media could keep these arguments going forward. I don't think better results will will help with diminishing these arguments. In fact, a week result could slow down this argument, giving people the more validity that these concents are real. We don't think these concents are real at this point, and as long as Nvidia keeps doing better and better, I don't think these arguments will go away anywhere.
Speaker 2: Appreciate this, Kun John. Ahead of those earnings from Nvidia, much appreciated, that is, Kun John Sabhani, Bloomberg Intelligence Senior Semiconductor Analyst. Let's take a look now at some stocks making news in the week ahead. I'm Nathan Hager, joined by Bloomberg Markets Live Managing Editor Christine Akino. I thought we were almost done with earnings, Christine, but it looks like we got some pretty big names reporting this week, including Home Depot. On Tuesday was the holiday quarter, a time people were thinking about home improvement.
Speaker 6: Oh well, Nathan, I think from what we've heard from Home Depot, things are not looking great. They have implemented a lot of cost custing cutting measures over the last couple of months. So this month, for example, the company said it's making the requirements for bonus payouts to managers more strict if they're telling eligible employees that they now have a higher threshold for sales performance metrics to be able to receive this bonus. And then in January they also said that they're going to be cutting jobs across several teams and also requiring corporate staff to return to the office, and so it really seems like home Depot is really bracing for a challenging quarter that's probably going to be reflected in the earnings results that we're going to be seeing. And so it's just a question of whether, you know, once investors see them, are they going to see enough of a silver aligning in those results? You know, whether it's the cost cutting measures that Home Deep implemented or anything else that they're doing that would give them a steadier footing moving forward. That's probably going to be what's in focus for investors next week.
Speaker 2: It is interesting though, I mean, we're still off the high from September for home Depot, but the stock has been kind of on a bit of a bounce here over the last couple of months. So does that mean the bar is kind of higher for home Depot when it comes to the earnings.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I suppose you could say that just because you know, it has weathered a lot of storms over the last few months. They have been warning for quite some time now about slow down in housing, which is very much affecting their bottom line. But at the same time, we have seen, as you mentioned, a resilience in the shares, and so perhaps there is some of that optimism baked in already that the company will be able to keep afloat. It's it's you know, it's it's earnings outlook, it's revenue outlook, and so you know, if there is some disappointment there, we'll probably see that in the aftermath of the reaction to the earnings.
Speaker 2: Coming Moving from Home Depot, another stock that starts with H reports on Tuesday.
Speaker 5: HP.
Speaker 2: Where are they when it comes to the AI tech story?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean very interesting when it comes to HP. Of course, it did get a bit of a boost when it comes to the AI story, right. It was very much involved in that trade back in the latter part of twenty twenty five when it was all about the expansion of the AI trade to the various companies involved in implementing the data center build out, and HP is a part of that supply chain. But you know, our Analyti Bloomber intelligence really focusing in on margins for HP here. They are big in the PC space, a lot of pressure there when it comes to margins, and and so that's a big question whether they're going to be able to.
Speaker 5: Keep that up.
Speaker 6: Also question about you know, their their memory supply. Is that supply chain again going to be resilient and moving forward, And you know, it's a big Q question whether they're going to be able to maintain pricing power given that the environment at the moment for anything air related is a little bit more challenging as we've seen in recent price action.
Speaker 2: Is that what we're seeing and reflected in terms of the kind of steady decline that we've been seeing in hpiece chart over the last few months.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, Nathan, I mean, I think it is one of these socks very interesting. You know, it's just kind of right in the middle of kind of institutional air demand, right given that it is part of the buildout story. But then at the same time, a lot of fluctuations due to its spot when it comes to the consumer space, right, Like it's PC offering still very much subject to the whims of the consumer, and as we've been hearing from a lot of other companies, that is quite a challenge environment. It's not that consumers are fully scaling back on their purchases, they're just being more strategic about it. And that may be where HP's vulnerabilities really maybe.
Speaker 2: And on Thursday we hear from one of HP's competitors. Is it going to be a similar story when it comes to Dell Computer?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I mean for Dell, it really has been a rough start to twenty twenty six. Right, We've seen their shares down more than seven percent. They very much did get wrapped up in the early twenty twenty six declines for US equities in general, given all these fears about AI disruption, and you know, for Bloomer Intelligence, their outlook really focusing in on the AI server demand that Dell is enjoying, and so that is a positive for them and as allow them to have a more broad consumer base. And you know, our analysts are very much optimistic in terms of their ability to sustain that momentum through twenty thirty. So high expectations potentially for this earnings result possibly a high potential for disappointment as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, another busy earnings week on tap. Thanks for this, Christine, good having your Christina Keino, Managing editor for Bloomberg Markets Live. Coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend, we'll look at the special election that could redefine the UK's political future. I'm Nathan Hager, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Nathan Hager in Washington. Up later in our program we'll look ahead to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Israel. But first in the coming days, a special election in the UK could highlight the fractured state of British politics. Bookmakers are predicting a three horse race between Labor and the insurgents on the right hand left. Gambling odds compiled by odds Checker suggests the Green Party will edge out Reform, with the incumbent Labor Party third. For more, let's go to London and bring in Bloomberg Daybreak Europe banker Caroline Nathan.
Speaker 3: In an unassuming and often neglected Manchester suburb, a three way fight is hotting up between challenger parties Reform UK and the Green Party, who are vying to pry the area's parliamentary seat away from the incumbent governing Labor Party, with a special by election looming in Gordon and Denton on the twenty sixth of February. The battle is highlighting the sinking popularity of Prime Minister Kirs Stamer's Labor administration and the rising fortunes of populist competitors on both the right and the left. It's an uncertain situation that could have implications for the UK's politics and economic prospects. Three Gutchukovin Dan is senior research economists at UK Asset Manager Aberdeen. She says the instability could prove costly what we're seeing.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's been a good week for bomb markets in the UK and elsewhere, but there is a lot of premium already in the guilt market.
Speaker 3: But I've say a lot of rates investors are cautious.
Speaker 7: And I think these key events like the by election in ten days time, the local elections in May, there is the acceptance that there could there is likely to be a leadership change later this year. So obviously we had a bit of a flash point. Two weeks ago and Kilts really sold off quite aggressively and that is an issue for the government. High interest rates are an issue for the government, so whoever leads the UK later this year will have to keep that in mind.
Speaker 3: So perhaps a challenge to the Prime Minister Kirs Starmer Sui Kutchu Govin Dan seeing a research economist at UK Asset Manager Aberdeen speak to me and Stephen Cowell on Bloomberg Radio. So will the coming local contest between the government and all its challengers leave Starmer vulnerable or vindicated? Joining me now to discuss is our Bloomberg UK Economy reporter Arena and Angel and our UK Politics reporter Lucy White come to both of you. Thank you for being with us. Lucy. Should we start with a bit of the politics. Set the scene. Why is this by election so crucial for Keir Starmer?
Speaker 8: So there's not very often in between general elections that we get a sort of national vote like this, because this isn't you know, your kind of usual local politics kind of election. This is a by election for a seat in Westminster. So it's the first real test that we're going to have for an area where they are electing a new person to Westminster, and this is all because Andrew gyn has resigned on health grounds, but he was also caught up in a bit of a scandal. He's the labor incumbents at the moment around leaked WhatsApp messages, and this is going to be the first real test we have of who these people in Gorson and Denton want as their representative. And as you were saying just then, you know, there's a real flashpoint at the moment as to Obviously there's some kind of idiosyncratic reasons why people are not a fan of laboring in that area, but there's also this kind of real challenge, real tussle going on between Reform and the Greens at the moment. And if this goes badly in for labor in Manchester or in this particular suburb of Manchester where labor have really had a sort of strongholder for several years, the implications for this nationally are are pretty stark.
Speaker 3: We really have polling at the moment, but how much ground might labor have lost in this region. Who are the front runners, So it's.
Speaker 8: Really a three way tie at the moment. We've got Labor as the incumbents, and then we've got the Green Party who are really hoping to make gains on the sort of populist left of politics, and Reform who are at the polar opposite end of that sort of making looking to make headway on the populist right. And they're you know, kind of involved in this three way battle. It's hard to tell who is doing particularly well at the moment because there's no sort of you know, kind of there is. There is polling at a local level, but none of it, you know, kind of particularly reliable. The sample sizes just aren't as big. From myself and Arena when we were on the ground last week in the area, there's a huge amount of visibility for the Green Party. This post is everywhere, there's a lot of campaigners on the ground. For Reform, there's very little visibility, but you know, kind of local polling does seem to see them doing quite well. As for Labor, you know, there's a lot of people who are kind of well, I've I've voted labors all my life, so I probably will. But there's an equal number i'd say that we spoke to of people that we spoke to there who say whether it's due to the Andrew growing what's up scandal or whether it's due to Kirstarma just saying I will never vote labor again in my life.
Speaker 3: Arena take us through the economics, then we know that for a long time, UK wages and incomes really haven't risen very much. The economy isn't growing very quickly. How has that manifested in Manchester and how do resident and there I feel about it?
Speaker 9: When Lucy and I went up there, I would say that the top issue that came up in Gordon and Denton was at the rising cost of living and you know you have that, you also have the rise in the cost of doing business.
Speaker 10: There's also you know, other issues related.
Speaker 9: To flight tipping, decaying states, drug dealing, and you know, underneath this you could sense that there is one big issue, and that issue is that the community is decaying.
Speaker 10: But things didn't used to be like this, you know.
Speaker 9: So the people of Gordon and Dent and they seem to be people who take pride and where they come from and pride and who they are, and there's a sense that that's now been taken away from them. And who do they blame for this? They blame the government and you know labor came in with big promises. There was real hope that things will change quickly, but they haven't for you know, many reasons. You know, perhaps some of the are default of policy. Others are you know, are just the result of like structural factors which you know could never be turned around very quickly. And you know, and the local people also blame their previous MP and Gwynn. You know, some told us they wrote to him to complain but they never heard back. So they feel like things are not getting better and also that they're getting neglected.
Speaker 3: I think that's really interesting. So then what do we know about the economic profile of those who perhaps are likely to support the challenge of parties, parties like Reform and the Greens. If you say that, underneath it there's what sounds like quite a lot of anger, maybe some hopelessness.
Speaker 9: Exactly, and Reforming Green voters are actually very similar in a.
Speaker 10: Key way they feel.
Speaker 9: And this is at the national level, not just in Gordon and Denton. But it was really interesting to see it sort of play out there. But these people feel somehow cheated on by the sort of by the political economy of the country.
Speaker 10: So look thrill from more in common put this very well.
Speaker 9: You know he told me that, you know, you ask people is the system working? And the answer tends to be no, Then you ask them, okay, can we change the system them from within to make it work or do we just burn it all down? And the burn it all down theres These are the people who either go to reform or the.
Speaker 10: Greens, you know which one. It depends on who they blame.
Speaker 9: For the Greens, that tends to be capitalism and big corporates capturing the economic gains from themselves and leaving everyone else worse off.
Speaker 10: So you have, you know, young university.
Speaker 9: Educated people who are a big demographic for them, and for reform, it's really blaming immigration and migrants putting a strain on public services.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that Labor are putting up a good fight and trying to make their case for why perhaps they need more time or the progress that they've made so far, Lucy in terms of kissed Arma, how much damage could it do potentially if Labor were to fail to retain this parliamentary seat.
Speaker 8: I think it will be embarrassing for them. But at the same time, I'm not sure that people within Labor have a huge amount of hope for it going particularly well at the moment, I think, you know, it's important to realize that this is just one area and that you know, I daresay if I were to be Devil's advocate for labor, they would say that there are, you know, some very idiosyncratic issues in this area, for example, the WhatsApp scandal that Andrew Grimm was involved in. But at the same time, you know, it is going to be hugely embarrassing for them if they lose in a seat where as recently as twenty twenty four they won fifty point eight percent of the vote, and even more, it's kind of hard to compare because the boundaries were slightly different than the general election before that in twenty nineteen, but it would have been even higher back then. So I think if Labor are to you know, go from that level to totally losing the seat, it is a kind of really worrying sign for them, because you know, if we're to have you know, this pattern repeated across the country in areas where labor isn't was never this this good, then you know, they're really looking at a kind of potential wipeout at the next election, which is due to be held by the next general election, which is due to be held by twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 3: So in terms of what's going on with the demographics in the constituency, I think that's also quite interesting and there's been quite a lot of focus on that in terms of the economic challenges, worries, complaints or hopes that people have for that tell us about the demographics arena.
Speaker 9: So the Gorton and Denton has been called the Frankenstein constituency because it's made up of very different parts. You know, you have Gorton and crucially this is where two thirds of the population lives, and Gordon is very ethnically diverse. Forty percent of residents identify as Muslim.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 9: One of the main places we visited there is the Alongside Market, this big open air market reminiscent of Istanbul bazaars, and it also has a Gorton has a large share of students and university graduates and a larger share of these.
Speaker 10: People than Denton.
Speaker 9: So Gordon is fertile ground you know for labor and the Greens both have their headquarters there and as Lucy said, you know, we saw lots of Green posters, but not that many Labor, I would say when we visited last week. And then you know, then there's Denton and as soon as you cross into Dent and you can almost tell the difference because the houses are bigger somehow, and you know, Reform has set up it's HQ there and it's in a large, sort of sleek warehouse. And you know, regardless whether you're from Gorton or Dent. And I think all voters seem to agree on one thing. You know, they won't vote Labor again. But not many people have made up their mind about whether they go to the Greens or Reforms. So you know, Reform seems to be alienating voters and the ethnically diverse Gorton with its anti immigration message, and you know, some residents said they won't vote for them because they're racist. However, you know, the Greens similarly are putting off other voters. For example, there was this this resident we spoke to who said, you know, I don't like Labor. I will vote for Reform even though I don't with their stands on immigration. But I won't vote for the Greenes because I don't like their stands on prebritty blockers. So it's really really up in the air sort of who will win?
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you to both of you for your reporting on the ground and for being with me here today. My thanks to Bloomberg's economics reporter Arena Angel and to our politics reporter Lucy White.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Now I want to read out a full list of the candidates, of course, who are running for this by election in Gordon and Denton. Nick Buckley Advanced UK, Charlotte Cadden Conservative Party, Dan Clark Libertarian Party, Matt Goodwin Reform UK, Sebastian Moore Social Democratic Party, Joseph o'meecher Rejoin EU Party, Jackie Pearcy Liberal Democrats, Hannah Spencer, Green Party, Angeliki Soogia Labor Party, Sir einke Loot the Official Monster Raving Looney Party, Hugo Wills Communist League.
Speaker 10: I'm Carol, yep.
Speaker 3: Get here in London. You can catch us every weekday morning here for Bloomberg Daybreak. You are beginning at six am in London. That's at one am on woll Street. Nathan.
Speaker 2: Thanks Caroline, and coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend. India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set for a two day visit to Israel. We'll look at what to expect next. I'm Nathan Hagar, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Nathan Hagar and Washington. Indian Prime Minister Narendromodi is set for a two day visit to Israel in the week ahead. For a preview, let's get to Doug Krisner, hosted the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia podcast.
Speaker 4: Thanks Nathan. This will be Mody's second visit to Israel in eight years. Back in July twenty seventeen, he became the first Indian Prime minister to travel to Israel with a goal of elevating tide. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Knyahu has said there is a tremendous alliance between these two countries. For a closer look, I'm joined by Bloomberg's Rosalind Matheson. She is Chief Asia correspondent. Roz joins from our studio in Singapore. Thank you for being here. From what I've read, NATANYAHUU and Modi are expected to discuss various forms of cooperation. Do you have a sense of which areas might be prioritized.
Speaker 12: Two key areas really probably with their conversation. One is momentum towards a free trade agreement. I mean, India tends to move very slowly on trade deals over many years, but they're suddenly in this environment of diversify or die around the world on trade, They're rushing to get trade deals done. I mean they just did significant trade deals with the EU and also with the US, So there is movement here on the Israeli front, and their significant trade relationship already between the two countries. I mean, Israel's a significant buyer of refined petroleum products from India, diamonds as well. India is Israel's second biggest trading partner in Asia. I think bilateral trade last year was around five billion dollars. So there's a lot to talk about on the trade front, and there's a lot to talk about on the defense front, because India is obviously also moving away from Russia in terms of weapons that it buys. It's still its biggest market, but it is moving to buy more weapons from the US, from France and from Israel, and so there'll be a lot of discussion around the potential there around defense, but also as part of that technology sharing when it comes to defense, and so can they produce stuff together, but can they share that technology when they do so.
Speaker 4: So, India, as I understand, is also engaged in more outreach to the Arab world. Last month, India hosted the second India Arab Foreign Ministers Meeting. And I'm wondering whether that necessity fairly complicates in some way Modi's mission.
Speaker 10: Well, yes and no.
Speaker 12: I mean India has been a strong supporter of Israel. There's a clear relationship between Urendromod and Benjamin Netanyahu. I mean they speak on the phone every couple of months, if not each month. And India has supplied Israel with drones and been quite a supporter when it comes to their actions in Gaza. But also they don't recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital. There are some underlying issues that because India above all is trying to maintain this idea still a strategic autonomy which they've always tried to walk a line on which is to have a balance of relationships. And so that does mean do they look to have outreach relationships with the Arab world as well? And is Iran potentially a factor in all of this because obviously there are serious tensions between Israel and Iran. There's the specter potentially of US and Israeli intervention again in Ira. So what's going to be Mody's message to be be about that?
Speaker 4: What about Modi's aim to try to bring in some capital from Israel into various sectors of the Indian economy. Are there any industries that come to mind.
Speaker 12: Well, certainly there is further opportunity for India around stuff like diamonds are already exporting a lot of that to Israel, and refined petroleum products that don't sell raw crude to Israel, but obviously there's a significant relationship there. So those will be the two key things. But obviously they just also want to set the table a bit around the parameters of this FTA. Doesn't involve services, for example, I mean, that's always a thorny issue for India in trade deals is services. But it's really going to be probably at a higher level around broader understandings when it comes to trade and defense.
Speaker 4: Modi is expected to address the Israeli Parliament, the Knesset. Do we have a sense of the issues that Modi may speak two.
Speaker 12: At this stage, we do not, but we're expecting him to talk broadly about fundamental ties and to do so with again with some affection, particularly towards Benjamin Netanyahu. I mean, BB says that Modi is popular in Israel. They talk again on the phone quite often, so there'll be an overarching sense of the relationship in that address. If it happens to the Kanesset, to the Israeli Parliament. Modi will probably want to steer clear of talking about things like the West Bank. For example. India's tried not to get involved in the issues regarding the West Bank and Israel's policies there, so he'll probably steer away from that one. He might talk more broadly around the prospects for a longer term peace in Gaza and his desire to see that happen. Of course, there's a ceasefar in Gaza, but there's big questions about how you go from that to a more fundamental, long term peace in Gaza and what it means in terms of the disarmament of Hamas. For example, probably walk a pretty clear line there about not going into particularly tricky issues around the West Bank.
Speaker 4: What about the relationship that both India and Israel have with the United States and particularly President Trump.
Speaker 12: Well, it's one of those things. We're in this period where again, relationships are shifting pretty quickly. Power balances around the world are shifting pretty quickly, and again we're seeing that in things like trade deals getting done that were you know, on hiatus essentially for many years. This idea that you have to have a diversification of your relationships, and some of that is spurred by the administration of Donald Trump. Certainly there have been tensions between the US and India. We saw that, really the trade deal went into the freezer for some months as a result, you know, Donald Trump really pushing India over its purchases of Russian energy and singling India out in that and that was really, you know, something that Modi couldn't publicly tolerate for his prestige at home. That said, the US and India will always have a relationship. Modi's just simply about having you know, that diversification strategy going. And obviously, you know, Israel and the US, BB and Trump have generally a strong relationship. The occasional tussle over certain aspects of the Middle East but it's a strong relationship, so you can imagine that, you know, BB and Modi will talk quite generally in warm terms about the US during this trip.
Speaker 4: What do we know about Modi's popularity in Israel? Is he a widely popular politician?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 12: Yes, according to BB, the Israeli leader, I mean, Mody was the first India Prime minister to visit Israel back in twenty seventeen. I think he had a flower named after him as a chrysanthemum at the time. So there is this kind of strong history of cooperation. They've had full diplomatic ties between the countries for some decades, and Mody is quite popular in Israel as a result, and seen as someone who you know, hasn't been overtly critical of Israel over its actions in Gaza, the conflict in Gaza. He can expect to have a very warm welcome, including by the Parliament.
Speaker 4: I'm wondering whether China will come up as a part of these discussions as well.
Speaker 12: Yeah, certainly. Again, China is like China, the US other great powers are always in the backdrop in these conversations at the moment in terms of how you're balancing your relationships and India again trying for this idea of strategic autonomy. I mean, relationships between India and China go up and they go can go down quite a bit, but they've been on a warmer track in the past year or so, driven in part by the tensions that India's had separately with the US. So there's a pragmatism that comes into all these relationships, including with China, and the sense of what's China going to be doing around the Middle East, developing its own business and trade ties, including with Arab nations, and what does that lead to. So certainly it's in the atmosphere these conversations, but there is a sense from both Israel and a India in a way that these things need to be done in a very pragmatic fashion.
Speaker 4: What about the area of agriculture. Is there much in the way of trade exchange between these two countries where agricultural products are involved?
Speaker 12: Not a ton, And agriculture is just a very thorny issue for India again, like other countries, You've got in a way this kind of mythical image of the India farmer, and they are a very powerful voting block in India, and you can see that Modi being very cautious about moving away from subsidies for farm products in India or trade deals that might disadvantage the farmers of his country, and he's very achuned to that and his own popularity. So they've tended to be quite protective, i would say, of the India agricultural market, so very cautious about doing deals as a result.
Speaker 4: So from what I understand, Riz and Israeli delegation will be leaving for New Delhi on Monday of next week for a first round of kind of trade agreement talks. So it seems like both sides are working at trying to achieve something. Is there, in your mind a timeline here as to when something needs to be kind of agreed upon or is this going to be a kind of a protracted, longer term project.
Speaker 12: Well, there is a sense that things are picking up. You had ministerial delegations going back and forth last year, as you say this, an Israeli delegation due and New Delhi in the coming week that's supposed to be sort of technical talks, and it's the first round of those technical talks. There was a framework agreement that was signed last November, but it's a framework and there's a lot of work to be done here as a result, but you really do get the sense of momentum on both sides, and some of the officials are saying that they're aiming for a deal potentially at some point this year.
Speaker 4: ROS will leave it there. Thank you so much for helping us preview Prime Minister Modi's visit to Israel. That is Bloomberg's Rasal and Matheson, our chief Asia correspondent, joining us from Singapore. In the last week, India hosted an artificial intelligence summit. It was there that Prime Minister Modi said the event offered further proof that India is progressing rapidly in the fields of science and technology. At the summit, Bloomberg spoke with Arthur Mensch of the French firm mistral Ai, and he addressed the Indian market for artificial intelligence.
Speaker 11: So what we see is that on the infrastructure side, India has taken a strong stance on the sovereignty and so that's a place where we can play an important role because the platform we bring is something that every state we work with can actually customize. So in that aspect, I believe there are a lot of synergies in between what we can provide and what India already has. They have taken some step in training models themselves as well. Again, this is a place where the open source media that we can provide can play because they can be used as a basis to make models better at certain languages. This is something that we actively do with certain states, that we've done with Singapore, that we are doing with Morocco. We've released a model last year called miss Calsaba which is specifically good at Indian languages in texts, and so that's something that we can improve through partnerships with Indian companies that have access to more data. The audio models that we've released, Vauxcral in particular, is very strong at Indian language. We see audio as a big way in which the consumer market in India engage with technology, and so again that's a place where partnerships can actually take us much further because we can provide the technology and the training stack and the GPUs and the people that know how to train models. But what we could benefit from and what we could partner on is access to data, access to the consumer market so that we can make that technology better and give it put it in the hands of, for instance, the Indian government.
Speaker 4: That was Arthur Mensch from the French firm mistral Ai, speaking to Bloomberg at the inn AI Impact Summit in New Delhi. I'm Doug Prisner. You can catch us weekdays for the Daybreak Asia podcast. It's available wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Nathan, Thanks Doug, and that does it for this edition of Bloomberg day Break Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street Time for the latest on markets overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 5: Stay with us.
Speaker 2: Top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.