Speaker 1: Welcome. That's right, I am back. It's your girl, Amada Lee and you're listening to Exactly amaa a production of iHeart and thank you so much for tuning in as usual. I'm so grateful for all your love and support. Anka Soon Muccia, don't forget to subscribe to the podcast on your favorite podcast platform. Rate us five stars, mamotor nada menos okay, and leave us a review. By the way, you know, I love to sit there and chie I love to read what you guys are thinking about the show, if you like it, if you don't, if you have any questions, whatever it is, I'm always looking, okay. Also, head over to the YouTube channel, where you're able to watch or listen to the podcast by searching for micro to that podcast and clicking on Exactly Amada. If there's any episodes that you feel that you missed or you want to rewatch or hear, you could do that right there on the YouTube channel. Today. I'm very exciting, my mode, I see because hi, madam, I am a big fan of cosmetics. I'm a big fan of makeup. I'm a big fan of beauty. I'm a big fan of all those things. Anything that can make your self esteem higher, that can make you feel better. They can enhance what you naturally already have. There's so many things that you can do to enhance your face, your features, your skin without having to go to cosmetic surgery. And that is the beauty of makeup right and makeup not only can obviously make you look natural for those that like you know that natural look. Me, I'm a little bit more, we'll get dragging. I feel like Domino Dodo. I want the lastes. I want that because it's supposed to be fun. You're supposed to have fun. I like to experiment. Sometimes I want to be classy, sometimes I want to be extra, sometimes I want to be bogie. There's always new trends when it comes to makeup, even though that I feel that at this point we've already tried it all, but funny enough, there's always new things to try when it comes to that. Anyways, long story, store men Ganta that we're always inviting the Latin ex community to come in and show them love because we're one big We're one big community, all different but all the same at the same time. He's an amazing makeup artist. He's worked with artists like Drake, Kanye West, everybody sore, the Kardashians, Maria Carrey l the one and only Missus b Missus Bonce. She honestly, he has worked with the best of the best, and obviously in order to work in that like like that level is not only just about the way that you work as far as your art is concerned, is also about your discipline, your professionalism. Tolomas and I just want him himself to come in and tell me about his experiences, what got him started the best and the worst of the celebrities. I want to know it all. Anyway, how are you, my love, how did you get here or how are your beginnings?
Speaker 2: Okay, Lays meet up. My dad smells Salvador. And then my mom is from Mexico and I was born in Mexico. But for some reason, when my mom was pregnant me, she went back to Mexico. Okay, so that's why I was born there, and then they decided to come back. So I grew up in the US. It was a very tough time for me growing up because I had to adjust and you know, my parents were very, very lying, very very you know, their culture was very traditional. Yes, in our family. So I had a hard time learning English, and I remember as a kid, I was always struggling and I was like, I'm going to learn English and I'm gonna and I I've always been like this since I was a kid. I'm like, you can't tell me, I'm not going to this because I'm gonna go do it.
Speaker 1: What signer are you?
Speaker 2: By the way, libra?
Speaker 1: No? What day? October seventh, October fourth libra gang gangang?
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yes, I love.
Speaker 1: Peace in love to the universe. We're very artistic by nature. I love that I understand coming from a very you know, traditional household, and I love that you hit that point when it comes to even our language at home, you only spoke Spanish. I'm guessing, yes, how was it?
Speaker 2: It was interesting because you know, my dad obviously spoke a lot of you know, from like the dialect from Al Salvador. Then my mom with her from Mexico, so it was a little confusing. So even now, when I grew, you know, speak Spanish, I get a little bit like tongue tied sometimes, Okay, And I'll be honest with you too. You know, my families, for some reason, there's this like really weird disconnect between l Salvador and Mexico. So I was always struggling with my dad said of the family, and my mom said, like it was always a little bit of like a rif. I loved all my families, so I still had to you know, be around. But it was definitely interesting growing up.
Speaker 1: With Yeah, but the way the way that and that's why for a lot of you know, our English listeners, they they see us, okay, so you're Latin in their mind. They any occasions they just see like Mexicans or maybe like if you're in New York or the Dominicans. But the Latino community is so big, like there is so it's so diverse, and every country has their own terminologies on how to say things a different accent, and I get how it can be confusing, but oh for sure. But here's my thing though, if you come from such a traditional household, how did you tell them, oh, by the way, I want to do makeup like this is my thing? Was that really hard?
Speaker 2: It was very hard because my parents, you know, especially around that time, makeup was not a thing. It was like you you know, like we came to this country so that you can have a better life, and they were hoping that I would expire and I'll be When I was a kid, I thought it was even architect Like I was very interested in building and designing, and like I was always drawing and sketching things that were not nowhere near like makeup related, right, So my mom thought I naturally had an inclinician to go to that direction. But you know, it just my destiny was in makeup. So when I was in high school, I was like playing with my friends purchase and their makeup, and I was like I always doing stuff and I just loved it. I knew that was something there for me, and so I went to beaut school and my mom was really fighting me around the time. She was like, you know, I will pay for you to go to different college and go back to school. And I was like, no, like I'm already in this. I feel like I'm already hited in a direction. But you know now, it's like I I I always knew I was going to go somewhere. I just didn't know what right right, Like I felt I scared it is gonna. I don't mean to sound like crazy, but you know, deep downe Is said, I knew how to purpose that I had it. It was more purposeful rather than like ambition or like successful. I was like, I just have them and it's my calling? Is there? So?
Speaker 1: I mean, I've always said that some people are born knowing what their purpose is in life, and others have to go through different experiences in life to kind of find her path. And that's okay too, But some of us just naturally know from an early age, like I don't know, you're not Ago, I don't know what it is, but he is in there, right, So I love that you were able to find that. And even being an architect or whatever, there's still art in that. So art was definitely there in your veins from a very early age. Was it hard you know?
Speaker 2: Or?
Speaker 1: Rather better? I want to know for those that may be struggling and not know how to how did you decide to tell your father, your mother ja, I want to do makeup like because usually and we're already know the stereotypes of the machistas, you know, the very macho in our countries. You know, a man doing makeup? No right? So how was it for you?
Speaker 2: For me? Honestly, I never to be honest with you. I never got to tell my dad. My dad, he kind of found out about my direction in life when I came out.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then how was that?
Speaker 2: It was not good, you know, but my dad eventually we made you know, we came together and we made it a peace. But he wasn't really happy with a lot of stuff. But I'll tell you one, maybe three years before my dad passed away, I went to Al Salvador and I had never been to Alfalvadors and at that time I already worked with Goria Trevi and my family found out an Al Salvador and when I got there, they were like, oh my god, you should be so proud of your son. He's doing the thing, you know, and blah blah blah. I think that kind of gave my dad like a little bit of I guess peace and saying you know what, Okay, it wasn't the choice that I wanted for him, but he he's doing something with it, and my family is part of him. So it helped. And I think for a while he was very disappointed that I went in there rot. But my mom was ready. After you know, I finished Peedy school. She was supportive and you know, she was my mom, so she and she was my best friend, so she couldn't help but to you know, just let me go with my flow. But you know, it took some time for sure with both of them. Right.
Speaker 1: I also saw something that I thought was very inspirational because been there, done that for those that are just new to exactly Amada, I've spoken about it in the past. At one point in life, I was in the peak of my career. I trusted the wrong person financially. He used to me, know, administrate all my money. I was also romantically involved with this person, so when things didn't turn out to be good, he kicked out. My mom kicked me out, and I ended up being homeless and living in my car for like three months. And it may not seem like a long time, but for a woman, you know, a very bodied woman as well, to be living in your car, you know, bathing in the bathrooms of the Walmart and McDonald's, and it was very difficult. I didn't know how to ask for help because I was embarrassed and just things were hard, right, So I understand what it feels like to be homeless. And a lot of times people may be like, but you're talented, but you're pretty you can find yourself a man. You could have done this, you could have done that. Da da da. Sometimes it's not like that. So can you talk about because I heard that at one point you were homeless as well, how was that experience for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, That's what I was saying earlier, is that I always knew I had to do something, and I was like, I'm gonna have to do it. I remember at the time because I lived in Sammardino and some Maridino was about an hour and change from LA but if there's traffic, it could be a three hour drive. So I was like, you know what, let me just sleep there in my car. So, you know, because I was getting jobs, but it wasn't enough even a hotel sometimes because you know, it was getting expensive in LA. So for me, I was like, you know, the best bay is just for me to live in a car until I can really get my feet grounded in the city and really build a clientele of where I can afford to. But I also knew it and I went through some really crazy experiences when I was living in a car, like you know, but I knew at the same time that that was part of the process because I'm very spiritual, you know, but I'm like, I'm trusting in you that this is something that you're allowing to happen, you know. And yeah, to me, I was almost like I felt like I knew I was paying my dues. I know I was meant to, you know, sacrifice some things in order to be where I wanted to be, because if I didn't do it, my family was never I felt like my family was always going to be like a little you know, treading very carefully and making sure that we're always have some type of comfort zone and always like, in order for me to get there, I know, I have to completely like leave my life, like I I'm believing almost my past behind. And I felt that and I was right, because now I'm like, yeah, had I'm not done that, I probably would have been stuck in a makeup counter, you know, or somewhere in Sambordino, and I would have never taken the chance.
Speaker 1: And you know what, I'm glad that you're talking about that because in many occasions, a lot of people want to like I have a dream, I want to do this, I want to do that, but you're not willing to sacrifice. You're not willing to risk and the only way you can really achieve your goals and dreams. There's some part of your life that you're going to have to sacrifice, whether it's time with your family, you know, going out, money, eating out, whatever it is. People who have succeeded in life had had to sacrifice something. And sometimes when you believe so much in yourself, when you believe in your vision, when you believe in yourself, when you see that in your mind that nobody else can see, you're willing to sacrifice every single bit of your being for that vision that you have inside. That is so important that you talked about it, because now you have you have reached the top of the top of the top. So obviously you know my platform. I always like to encourage and motivate the Latino community. How do you think that being latin has played a you know, a part in the makeup industry in your career. Has it been beneficial for your career or did you find any like, you know, roadblocks in the way.
Speaker 2: I will say in the beginning, it was very tough. There was not a lot of Latinos. I don't know. I actually I don't even think there was Latinos like that in the rooms and in the places where I was trying to go, especially like you know, this is pre like Instagram era. You had to have a portfolio, you had to have an agent, and I would, you know, I would go to the agencies. And even though clients and people are remember like, you're so good, You're going to do this, You're going to do that. One day I was like, well, how come nobody's responding to me. I'm like, am I not dressing right? Hey? Like what is the reason? You know? Thank god I stuck it out. And then when the Instagram era came around, then I really feel like that's what kind of gave me the opportunity to showcase what I was doing. But I feel like now it's not so much maybe that it helps. I just think people are more open to allowing other cultures and other you know, people in their space, and because they realize it's very beneficial because you're like, this person, this has something to bring to the table that not everybody or the norm of what we were seeing.
Speaker 1: Do you think that the Latino community in the makeup or the beauty industry supports as much as other cultures. I don't know, let's hear about it. Let's hear about it.
Speaker 2: No, okay, I'll tell you what it is. I think for a while and I'm praying, and I feel like, maybe you're people starting to realize that, especially in the beginning of this era of the makeup like Instagram influencer era, people are very competitive. So it was like, who's going to be the top Latino influencer because you know, they allow only so many opportunities to so many people, or you know, brands only approach so many people. So I realized there was a competition, competition, but I wasn't trying to be in competition with anybody but myself, right, And also I'm trying to be a professional artist. I wasn't. I really did, wasn't trying to compete with anyone because I know that you in order to do something, you have to be fully focused on it. Either you're an influencer and that is your life, or you're a makeup artist and that is your life, because it's a lot of time and effort that goes into it. So I was like, I want to be, you know, working with these people, and I was focused on that. But I just feel like for the law or for a while, you know who's going to be doing who's gonna be doing this? But now I think I see a shift where we were like, oh, there's enough pie to go around for everyone, and everybody can have their own space and still be you know, flourishing.
Speaker 1: Right. I agree, And I think it's also important to support each other. Have you had like a really good mentor or someone that has been like, let me take you under my wing. Either you out then let me open these doors for you, or do you feel because I feel like every the street there's a little bit of cattiness like now, you know, especially if they see you doing good and they yeah, but there's other places where they're like, you know what, you're really talented. Let me bring you under my wing and then how are you got there? Let me open doors for you?
Speaker 2: Uh? You know. I have like, I'm very good friends with Anastasia. I don't remember the beauty A specifically Hills. She has been an incredible mentres since I met her. I think I probably maybe like six seven years she's been like that with me. You know, she's taking me places. She's like I'm going to this event, come with me, and she's just like my Grandma, you know. And then I'm really good friends with Patrick Starr two and he's been incredible because he's giving me a lot of marketing advice and just beautiful, like, you know, insight on how to build your brand because that's where I'm going right now. And so and I've known Patrick Star for years too, and you know, he's killing it. So it's it's such an honor and a blessing to have people. I have other people, but those are right now the ones that I'm like, I've been in contact like almost every other day, you.
Speaker 1: Know, right, That's that's super cool. Are you helping anybody at this moment or is there any how do you feel like, is there anyone right now that you're like Mitra, There's a lot of talented people that hit me up all the time, and I do my best to help out or support or like not right now, I'm just focused on myself.
Speaker 2: Well. To be honest with you, I always like, I don't really get hit up like for stuff and I turn it down. I'm I honestly try to make everything happen, but it goes through my agency, So I don't if there is anything that I can take the handle all that because we have people in the house. But you know, there's there's I feel like, in a way maybe that's my way up, Yeah, because you know with within the agency as me, Hey, you know this person wants to do that, I'm like absolutely yeah. And there's a guy that I love. I don't know if you're wherever, mister Castillas, Miss Suena, and he's killing it, like he's doing a lot of amazing stuff boos. He's a Latino. So I but I definitely have been like, yeah, you should you know, do this, and you should do that when I'm not available. So I in a way I have done it like that, you know.
Speaker 1: So now I want to get more. Let's get into the fun part of makeup and cosmetics. Right, makeup are consistently changing and evolving, and there's always something new. What do you see because obviously everything has changed throughout generations. We had this moment with it, the red lip, the very Marilyn Roy time of energy was like the Jessica Rabbit. You know, we've gone through so many different stages. We've gone through like a very natural clean, We've gone through the glowy, We've gone through like the heavy lashes and the light lashes, the bit, we've gone through it all. What is happening right now in trends of cosmetic and makeup and what do you see coming up?
Speaker 2: Well? I definitely for me, I've always stayed classic. I love the nineties clan, but I do feel like the colors are going to start coming back, okay, because we've seen so much of the neutral, like you know, like Matt nineties vibe that I think people are like rated, especially after COVID. Everybody wants to go out, they want to get a club or you know, partying, so they're trying to have so much fun with their makeup. And I've never seen you know, makeup artists and even just you know, consumers have so much fun with makeup, like and like now. You know, when I grew up, it was very like not too much, you know, just natural and pretty. But the girls are going out these days, you know, right, So I think color is definitely gonna come back. It's it's sparkly too, you know, sparkly eyes shadows and are.
Speaker 1: We doing the yellow lips and the purple lips? Are we doing the I don't know, are we doing them type of this green lips? I mean because you say cutters, let's clarify it for the girls.
Speaker 2: I think for sure that's gonna probably be in there too, just because I'm also seeing some brands that are dropping colored geared products. So you know, the thing about makeup is people you can use it wherever you want. I personally, I know it's going to sound crazy. I personally love a colored lip because sometimes you can just have an easy, beautiful face and then just pop a lip on and it's just you know, you can make it, you know, as long as you don't go crazy with it where you have like a rainbow and you're walking around because it's distracting. You're like what, But it's there's certain colors like I love a mustard lip shaing like Olive scan tone. I think it's gorgeous. You know, maybe Ombrea will like a verry lip line and make it like Ombrea Mustard. I think that's so studying green is a little okay, maybe we got to think about that.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's not too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where are we going?
Speaker 1: But you know, now now I also want to know as a professional makeup artist, as a professional you know, beauty icon at this point, because that's what you are how you know, do you feel a little bit affected in the industry when you see all these makeup influencers on social media that now you know, act as if or say that they are makeup professionals. What's truly the difference? Because I see a lot of people doing these videos like oh, I'm a makeup artist and they do anything in the yeah they have like all these views. And then because they have all these views, yeah, you like, how do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: You know? When I first started, you know, I guess with Instagram, Let's say I was a little like I always had a question work because I'm like, well, what do you because enough, I'm honest, I would see them do their makeup and they would do an incredible job. But then sometimes they would do professionals and I'm like, that doesn't look like them or they made them very look they gave them their face and put it on them right. And the thing about being a professional makeup party is is you have to learn how to be able to be like very mouldible, and you have to adapt to different branding for you know, different like for example, like let's say one celebrity has a different specific look to known for you have to be able to do them and still look like themselves, you know. And so for me, I just I don't know. I think if you can do different people and make them look like themselves and make them look like their best selves, absolutely, But if you're just stamping your face on everybody and you could tell I don't know.
Speaker 1: Now, Now I know achievement just a little bit, not too much, right, But like when you see these big celebrities that come out, we're not mentioning any names to each his own, right, But when you see these big celebrities they come out with these cosmetic lines, do you feel that their brands have become bigger because of the quality of their makeup or more because of the name?
Speaker 2: I think definitely the name the name for sure, right for sure, because you're you're buying it to wanting to look like that person. And sometimes people will compromise like the quality because they're like, oh, I'm worrying this person, and they truly do somethings because makeup is a very emotional like like it's something that when you put on it, actually it makes you feel a certain kind of way, especially if you like the way you look back in the mirror, you know, so sometimes quality You're like, and even me like, you know, I get all kinds of brands, you know, send me stuff, or I buy stuff from different people just to make up no way. Yeah. Yeah, sometimes I'm like, hey, I want to check out this person's pidat and see what it is, you know, and I don't know, and like, not everybody sells the stuff, so sometimes I have to, you know, try other stuff. But as soon as I'm like, yeah, this could have been done so much better, you know this is missing that. But you know, like.
Speaker 1: White because let me tell you, I just launched my cosmetic line, Eternal Beauty by Amada. I definitely want to then you stop, Yes you have to, and one of the reviews, because that's how you get better. I don't mind, because that's how you evolve and that's how you get better. It would be such an honor. And I know that you're also working on your cosmetic line, right, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've been working on it for almost like six years. In the process we launched Lash year, so those came out like three years ago, actually a couple of years ago or a three year anniversary, you know. For me, I wanted to do something that was very special and that I knew when people saw, they're like, this is different, you know. And also too, it was just a lot of the products that I was missing in my kit for you know, my clients, Like I always was mixing either bronze or the second products to create this kind of effect undertone. Yeah, exactly, And that was easy for anybody to use, especially for me and quick, and because you know, I'm always rushing with clients and always on the time, you know. So anyways, that's why I was like, let me make sure that I make something that I know everybody will love. And even though it's taking me that long, and I know everybody in their mouth puts stuff out right. Yes, I know when people see they're like, oh my god. People see it, they say it now, and the practical like, I've never seen anything like that. So it's exciting because you know, even though I know I took a long time and you think you missed the mark so many times you're like, wait, I should have launched two years ago. I'm like, oh, I'm still you know, somewhere you're supposed to do. It always works out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't really matter. I started the idea of creating my own cosmetic line during COVID, You know, I think everybody was home chilling, just trying to figure out what's the next move. I started and I never launched it because I was reading for the right moment, and the right moment doesn't exist. You create the right moment. The right moment is here now because here's where you're at. Sometimes you're like, oh, wait, I got that. Next year, you start that now, and even if in the beginning you feel a little bit and things are slow, they'll pick up eventually. As long as you're consistent. I think that's extremely important. Talking about consistency. Does it annoy you or do you have any celebrities You don't have to say any names, but any celebrities that'd be like, don't do this, I don't like this too much? Makeup? Wait not. I know that has to be mad annoying.
Speaker 2: I have had some, and I don't work with them anymore, thank god. But it wasn't so much that I don't like this. It was just, you know, they're in their head too much and they're saying self sabotage, right, So it's like it's not that you're doing too much, it's just they're you know, they're having personal things they're dealing with, and so you just got to let it go and be like, it's not about me. You know, I'm not I'm not here to be your punching bag. But you know, you just you work with it. And that's another thing that I've learned now is you have to be very protective of you know, your your gifts and in the sense that it's not for everybody, because now everybody's gonna you know, when you connect with someone and there's people that I obviously I'm still working with them that you connect with on a creative level and on a different like the flow, you know that it just it just it comes naturally. And that's the thing is that you know, I think especially coming from you know, culturally, you you think you're supposed to be working with everybody. To be successful, you have to be everywhere at the same time, and that's not how it is you when you're really successful, so you can be really impactful in one place and affect so many people with just being in that purpose that you're supposed to be doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, so I agree.
Speaker 2: I feel like because of social media, we see so much we think like and even though people I do do a lot of people, but I feel like the most impactful work out puts me right, you know, and that's where I want to be. I'm wearing myself out.
Speaker 1: It meant to that. And also protecting, like I love that you said that protecting you know, your art, protecting your peace, protecting your space because your aura all that good stuff, because especially those that are artistic that you know you are driven by muse, you're you're driven by by how you feel, how you're in tune with yourself. You can also allow other people stress and attitudes and personalities and drama to affect you, because that won't affect everything you've worked so hard for. So I love the fact that you mentioned that, you know, protecting your speed, your your space, your peace, your art, your gifts. I hate that we're ending the podcast, but I love that you ended it in that way because more than ever now I realize I was one of those girls that I wanted to be everywhere and doing everything like I am right now, But after having my twins, now I understand the importance of I need to protect my space, my energy back off so that I can handle me and if I'm in a good space, then I'll be able to be the best version of me. So I love that. When and where can we purchase your cosmetics? Where can we follow you? Where can we see you? Do you do any classes? So I want to know everything.
Speaker 2: Yes, when I get back from a tour, I'm going to definitely focus on doing some classes. But the makeup line will be on October. You can purchase our lashes right now at roquel beauty dot com if you follow me on social media site that I'll start teasing stuff within the next couple of weeks for the makeup line. And yeah, I mean that's where I'm at Roquelbeauty dot com and at Roquel Beauty.
Speaker 1: I love it. I am so grateful to have you here. It is such an honor. Definitely slend me that INPU and the load, you know, I'm saying, DM me yeah, so that I can send you my cosmetic. I would love to be able to support you as well. Latino, that that has come you know, from humble beginnings, that now has been able to somewhat break that generational curse and now you are the success of your family. You are someone to be proudful about your accomplishments. I love everything that you're doing. I love that you're still humble. I love that you still love to give back. You can tell that you're a beautiful soul. And I want all my listeners to support his cosmetic line everything that he's doing, because he's really representing the Latino community the way that it needs to be represented. Muchisi Ma, I'm so grateful for having you, and guys, thank you, thank you one more time. Thank you once again for being part of Exactly Amada. Make sure to find me on the YouTube channel. Catch the show by searching for micro Fluid Podcast on YouTube and clicking on Exactly Amada first shore, of course, don't forget to follow me at Amara Lagra a L and Amara Laegra a L. And if you forgot, let me remind you that this has been a production of Iheart's micro through that podcast network. For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite show. This is your girl, Amdagra and you just heard Exactly Amada