Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Hour two.
Speaker 2: On this Monday, Dan and the dan Auts Dan Patrick Show. Glad to have you on board. Great to be back from vacation. I never figured this out. Eight am and somebody's drinking a beer at the bar in the airport. I haven't gotten there.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I've walked by, and I've actually been with people that I work with, in fact, maybe people in this room where I've walked by, and it's eight in the morning and we're getting ready for like a nine o'clock flight, and you're like, you're having a beer. I haven't been able to go. Yeah, that's exactly what I need right now. Yeah, seton.
Speaker 4: What have you not figured out? He said, I haven't figured this out yet. People sitting in the bar alone at eight am. What have you not figured out about that situation?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: First of all, this is why Bloody Mary's were invented. Okay, bloody may I get But yeah, he's sitting down. There is something about a beer. And usually you sit down at the bar and you're like, ah, yes, screw it, I'll have a beer at eight o'clock. Up, get a quick buzz and get on my plane or whatever, and they're like, hey, you want the sixteen or the twenty. Yeah, I'm going to twenty gigantic beer with your eggs.
Speaker 2: I get it with you know, if you're gonna have a bloody mare, like, I understand that, or a mimosa, I understand it. I still can't. I'm not a day drinker. I'm certainly not a morning drinker, but a day drinker not, that's not in my wheelhouse. I end up taking a nap and you wake up and you go, God, let's do it all over me. It's perfect.
Speaker 5: It's the ideal scenario. Yes, yes, ball doesn't. It depend on the destination and the group. Because if you're let's say you're flying down a Kiowa Island on a bro golf trip and you're on the ten o'clock flight, you're in the in the lounge at eight forty five, you crack a beer, you crack a drink. But if you're just flying home casually from a business trip and you're at the bar at nine am, that seems problematic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but when you see those twenty two bounce beers, like you couldn't do sixteen? Now I got an upgrade.
Speaker 4: Here, let's go with the gigantic one thirty two dollars beer.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There, My seat's in coach, but my beer's in business class. I'm going twenty two ounce here.
Speaker 4: You gotta drink it fast because it gets warm towards the bottom. So you're like, ah, I just slugging this down real quick.
Speaker 5: Yes, but you talked about when does vacation start? Airport beers is a one seat of your crack that beer? Now, I'm you hold it up? You go now, I'm on vacation. It's the biggest dadline of all time.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's great to be back now. Like I get to I get a little twitchy at the end of vacation where and my wife goes, you got another day of vacation. I go, I know, I know, no, no, just you start to think about getting back into the work mode. And she goes, how about half the day? How might stay on vacation half the day? Can you do that? I said, what half do you want?
Speaker 6: Hunt?
Speaker 7: Yes, Marv, So what in the blue hell are you going to do? Christmas vacation twenty twenty seven? There's nothing to come back to. January second, twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I have no idea. But you don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 4: Because you know what, it's none of your business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll just nosy.
Speaker 6: I don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't care what you do. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Six WWE superstars face off inside a giant steel chamber for a championship match at WrestleMania. Watch Elimination Chamber live Saturday at seven eastern, four Pacific, Countdown at five eastern, two Pacific, live on Peacock. All right, some of the headlines here. The combine is later this week. A lot is going to be made to the fact that Shador Sanders won't be throwing at the combine. Do not get tricked, don't You don't need to click on this. And that's what this is. It's clickbait. Quarterbacks who skip out on throwing at the combine. Now used to be you were hiding something, or you know, maybe it's a mechanical flaw, maybe your arm is hurt, maybe something happened during the regular season that no longer holds weight. The combine really isn't about on the field, it's really about medicals and team interviews. That's the most important things. Especially medicals. They just want to know, are you really six ' three? How healthy are you? You know, we get caught up in the forty yard dash, we get caught up in the three cone drill and all that. To me, does it matter? I mean, is it interesting TV? Yeah, if you got nothing going on. But you know, the quarterbacks didn't throw last year. Caleb Williams, Drake made Jayden Daniels all opted to throw at their pro days? Was there any outrage? Were they hiding something? So? I think you've got to be fair in what we're covering. How about we be fair to what the real story is here? Should door Sanders is doing what other quarterbacks have done first round draft picks, not throwing. Now you might view this as a knock on should do or saying oh, he's not throwing, That is going to be the message that's probably going to be conveyed. The draft process has evolved and skipping the throwing portion of the combine isn't a red flag. It's just the new norm. And cam Ward, do we care if he's throwing or not? And the reason why We don't care if he's throwing or not because he's not clickbait. You're not clicking on some if cam Ward decides he's not going you know, he opted out of the second half of his bull game and that was a red flag to some people that did get covered. And I get it, but I don't know if cam Ward throwing or not throwing is going to matter to anybody, but should or Sanders because it's de on side, he is going to be clickbit and does it matter. I want to see what you do. You want to do it on your pro day? Good. I don't take anything out of this. Remember Zach Wilson, My god, did you see that throw? He did the mahomes throw left back right? Oh my god, did you just see that? How did that work out? Right? Kyle Boller from his knees can throw it fifty yards? Maybe you should have played on his knees like JaMarcus Russell, Like we go down the list of guys where you go, Oh my god, did you see that? That's the problem. It's it's like you study all year and then you decide you're gonna throw away all your notes and you're gonna just go Hey, I'll just go with what I remember, but I think what happens as you get caught up in the now. Let's take the approach. Let's look at game film. Let's talk to you know, maybe coaches who coached against this guy, players who played against the just no, no, we're not going to do that. We're going to you know, change direction right at the last minute. That's why you have teams that are littered with quarterbacks who didn't make it for a variety of reasons. No one was talking about Jayden Daniels last year. It was, well, Caleb Williams, he's going to be the guy. Drake May. I don't know acc Flaud mechanics, Bo Nicks, you know, I played with two different teams, but I don't know Kenny. We tend to put the negative out there instead of looking that Drake May proved that he could play. Caleb Williams, we're going to be waiting and is he going to be compared with Jade Daniels. We had Jayden Daniels as an MVP candidate. Bo Nicks was wonderful, led his team to the playoffs, and these two quarterbacks this year would be behind those quarterbacks who were taken last year. In my opinion, I don't think any of them are better than bow Knicks and he was the last one. But these teams have needs, Tennessee. Is you know, are they going to take a quarterback? The Brown's going to take a quarterback, the Giant's going to take a quarterback, the Raiders going to take once again, when you get into you fall into this trap. We need a quarterback. No, you need your quarterback. Who is the right quarterback for this team? Not we need a quarterback because that's when you take a quarterback who maybe isn't the right guy unless you say Shador Sanders and cam Ward they are the same quarterbacks, they're graded the same. Okay, Now where do they rank with the other players in this draft? You might pass up on Mason Graham out of Michigan, who might be a top five player, Abdua Carter like these guys are impact players who might be Pro Bowl play. Well, you're trying to find your quarterback. That's where you get in. That's you find danger there more often than not, you find danger because you got to get a quarterback.
Speaker 6: Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need a quarterback. Is cam Ward is should or Sanders the quarterback, or would you be better suited at taking Travis Hunter, or would you be better served by trying to get Kirk Cousins for another year or Sam Darnold. Like that's where teams make mistakes because they reach, and they always reach on a quarterback. But should or Sanders not throwing at the combine? Couldn't care less?
Speaker 4: Yeah, some quarterbacks absolutely need to throw at the combine.
Speaker 2: I think cam Ward, If I'm cam Ward, I go balls out, like throwing balls round, not literally, no, no, like, let's throw some footballs out and you know, be the talk of the combine. If you're confident in yourself, take over the combine. If Shodor's not throwing, I am like, I look forward to seeing Jackson Dart, who I think is the first round talent at quarterback. I think he's underrated talent now, might go at the end of first round, maybe second round, third round. I don't know, haven't seen you know, draft grades on him, but I know what I saw. Athletic can throw and has a coach who knows a thing or two about quarterbacks. So I I think sometimes when you get you watch that guy. Even pro days. Pro days are supposed to be It's you're supposed to look good. It's like your highlight you know, high school highlight tape. It's supposed to be good.
Speaker 5: He dribbled off his shoe. Yes, Paulie, I go back to that. You said, was it Christian Ponder? Remember that draft twenty eleven, Cam Newton went number one and everyone needed a quarterback and it was like Blaine Gabber it went, Christian Ponder went. Everybody needed a quarterback. A lot of them didn't work out that year. They took guys Christian Ponder a week before the draft. They had him as a mid second, second round guy. And then the Vikings everyone had to have a quarterback. There's some drafts where everyone does it.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll go back to Achilles Smith got drafted by the Bengals third overall. You're like, why gotta get our quarterback and TN Donovan McNabb go before him. That does that sound right? Tim Couch go number one? I gotta get our quarterback, don't get get the right quarterback? Not uh the yes, yes see.
Speaker 4: I remember in the Christian Ponder era, as it will forever be known of overreaching, there were these funny storylines about how like and It was really a lot had to do with I think Tom Brady and like, no, no, no, no, no, the best quarterbacks are later in the draft. Everybody's reaching for these guys up here. Most of them don't work out. So we're gonna anybody that's graded like a third rounder we're going to take in the first round because we're flipping the script on how where the value actually is. It was one I remember it being one of the craziest times and most confusing times to talk about the draft, because it would be like, well, this guy's projected as a first rounder, right, that's why he's gonna fall to the fourth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, what.
Speaker 4: The hell if this guy's a fifth rounder, right, he might go top ten?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Tim in Ohio, Hi, Tim, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Five days muscular, five c brow looking at the rulers of the Browns are looking at Jenny Matthew Stafford, then trading Mile Scare to the Lions for a bunch of draft picks.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're not reporting that, Tim, You're just sources close to you tell you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, of course, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first online, that's what I thought, Thank you, Tim. Yeah, sure, Lion's got a lot of draft picks. You know your first round picks are going to be at the end of the first round. But you can get Miles Garrett. You're bringing Matthew Stafford. But what are you doing with Matthew Stafford? Are you ready to win? Matthew Stafford wants fifty million dollars a year. Probably at least you're gonna bring him in two years, one hundred and ten million. Meanwhile, you're paying to Shaun Watson. Meanwhile you had Joe Flacco who led you to the playoff, Like, what are you doing? The team that should be calling right now, right now, even though it's West Coast time, that they would be calling the Rams, so it's only seven fourteen. You could get a hold of Sean McVay right now, Pittsburgh Steelers, I'd be calling. They probably already called.
Speaker 9: You.
Speaker 2: Get Matthew Stafford now to help. If you got a couple of good receivers, I mean, Najee Harris gets you a thousand yards, you got a good defense. Pickens is unreliable, He's always worth, you know, worthy of a highlight. But you got to get you know, some guys who can be out there all the time and give you, there's no reason to bring in Stafford unless you're going to give him some talent. But if I'm Pittsburgh, absolutely Matthew Stafford wants out. He wants to get paid, Okay, and the Rams aren't afraid. No, that front off is not afraid. They'll be like, so, well, just bring in another quarterback here, we'll figure it out, all right. We'll take a break. More phone calls coming out. We'll play Filling the Blank after this, and more of your phone calls as well. Great to be back on this Monday, Dan and the Dan Ete Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 9: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 2: So check us out.
Speaker 9: We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Victor Wembinyamo is out for the season as a blood clat in his shoulder. Now, I was curious about Defensive Player of the Year because women and Yama should have won it last year, and he hasn't played in the number of games that would qualify him to win the award this year. So I'm thinking, all right, is Rudy Gobert going to win another one of these? And thankfully he won't. Evan Mobley is probably the leading candidate, but Jaren Jackson Junior third. He won one for Memphis in twenty twenty three, and if he would win the Defensive Player of the Year, he would be eligible for a super Max contract that would pay him five years, three hundred and forty five million dollars. That would be the largest contract in the history of total dollars. It would be the same deal that Luka Doncik, who was also in the same draft, would be eligible or would have been eligible for if the MAVs haven't traded him. So the biggest contract in the NBA could be Jaren Jackson Junior, the third who's twenty five years of age.
Speaker 5: Wow, So winning the award is an escalator for his deal.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it's over one hundred million dollars more. Just by he would he would be eligible for a super Mix because he would be Defensive Player of the Year twice.
Speaker 5: Yes, if you're a Jaron Jackson junior and you get this, Unfortunately, because Wemby's out, do you buy him something? Yes, yeah, a truck right sixty seventy whatever he wants, yeah, whatever he wants, Yeah, whatever you want. It's like Juan Soto gave the guy on the Mets who gave him his jersey number, he bought him a tahoe, And initially I thought it was he bought tahoe, and I'm thinking he's got the money for Oh, it's a tahoe. And I guess the player that was his dream car. I mean, Tamo is a nice car like, but that's not my dream car. Yes, Tom, help?
Speaker 10: Was that the basic package?
Speaker 5: Roll up windows? They still have us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, we'll get some more phone calls coming up. We'll do uh fill in the blank coming up here. In a moment, NFL Competition Committee co chair Rich McKay said the NFL will look at both moving the spot of the touch back to the thirty five yard line moving the kickoff line back five yards in an effort to boost returns could be an either or situation. They're still tinkering with this. They'd still like to get more kickoff returns. They're also toying with the idea of if you go forward on fourth down. And I don't know all the logistics here because I don't know if anybody does yet, but they're trying to do some Hey, it would be advantageous for you to go for it on fourth down? Or can you go for it on fourth down? And what does that mean? So until I see enough language there, there's like a fourth and fifteenth, fourth and twenty and what that could mean. They're trying to encourage more kickoff returns and put the ball in play, you know all of this stuff. So the NFL, they never stopped, and you know what, they have the luxury of if they whiff. I mean, look, esthetically, the kickoff looks weird, but if I get action, then I'm okay with that. Just give me some movement there. Not here's a kickoff and it goes into the end zone. That's it. Just give me something there, the potential. And I still would love to have the potential for an on side kick instead of we're gonna we're gonna have, ladies and gentlemen, the Broncos are going to have an on side kick. Everybody, get ready, get your all hands team up there. Yea balling.
Speaker 5: But this new kickoff, because guys aren't flying the length of the field to each other, could open up this rule change, which will improve the chances of a kickoff. That's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ish, Yeah, yes, Todd.
Speaker 11: Maybe the offensive case, you tell the defense team when they're going to pass and when they're gonna run, and the pictures can say when they're throwing a fastball or a curveball.
Speaker 10: Just want to let them know it only gets hurt.
Speaker 2: It seems unlikely. Once again, you always go to this. It's ridiculous, and I don't think we go all the way.
Speaker 11: You can't overstate how ridiculous it is that you have to an announce in advance that you're going to be doing it on site.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 10: I don't think people are outraged enough about it.
Speaker 2: Is pretty stupid, it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's not much different than being like, okay, right now we're running the ball.
Speaker 2: Well that much different.
Speaker 10: Comes a bunch everybody running.
Speaker 2: It's not fair.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, currently I'm going to open this up. Is there a dumber rule in sports than the on side kick rule in the NFL? First one is the extra endings rule with a person on second place.
Speaker 2: That's stupid.
Speaker 5: More stupid of those two.
Speaker 2: It's.
Speaker 4: Dang starting with somebody on BASI is about as dumb as you can make it. However, we could keep it with just the NFL in terms of stupid rules because I still think I still don't understand what an ineligible man downfield is for. What the hell?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 4: What your alignment? You're only allowed to go a yard or whatever before? Ah, you're too far down now now you can't do that?
Speaker 2: What the hell for? Well, they don't want you blocking until the ball is received. It's possessed, and then you can go and block. So if you your lignement is down there with your wide receiver blocking as soon as he gets the ball, that's I guess what they're trying to prevent there.
Speaker 4: I feel like you're receiver should be able to outrun your lineman down the field.
Speaker 2: But I'm just going to say, let's say it's Travis Kelcey.
Speaker 4: I still feel like he should be an advanced age. He should be able to run faster.
Speaker 2: I'll bet Taylor Swift might be able to run a forty similar to Travis Kelcey right now. And don't even get me started about Lady Gaga because she can flat on flying lady, Lady, ladies and gentlemen, Lady Gaga. Uh uh. Jason Kelsey says he thinks he knows what his brother is going to do with his playing career. Uh is that a surprise.
Speaker 10: Yes, I've got to in there.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, he made it seem like, you know, like chefty breaking news. Here I said after the Super Bowl, I didn't think he played again. But you know, if he does playing great, good for him. Yeah, go out the way you want to go out, not through somebody else. Alrighty, here we go, and you know what, just announce it on your podcast.
Speaker 4: It's all after much thought and consideration. I would like to announce.
Speaker 2: You gotta talk to a family. Prayed on it a bunch, and UH wanted to announce time to coming back, time to play fill in the blank, time to play fill in the blank. So I read a statement and then you fill in the blank. The NBA All Star Weekend is blank Todd, uninspiring, Dan, oh, thank you, Satan, action packed, wow, dark cabm Marvin lifeless.
Speaker 5: The NBA All Star Weekend is what it is. And I hate that phrase, but it's apt.
Speaker 2: The NBA All Star Weekend is filler. Let's fill in the failer in the blank, in the blank, not filling the Todd. The Four Nations Hockey Tournament was I put.
Speaker 10: Cool in parentheses?
Speaker 2: Is the rule?
Speaker 11: I thought The Four Days Hockey Turner was cool. Is the rule coolest game on Earth. I did a little hockey ice cool, kind.
Speaker 4: Of seating, lacking enthusiasm, Marvin passionate, Paul appointment worthy.
Speaker 5: I kind of planned my day to make sure I saw the puck.
Speaker 2: The Four Nations Hockey Tournament was territorial. Wayne Gretzky's legacy is blank. Todd cemented.
Speaker 6: Seat.
Speaker 4: That's what I had to just about the whole hour saying the word, Uh, it's a little little shaky.
Speaker 2: Wow, the shaky ones a little shaky, Marvin Jordan esque untouchable. Wayne Gretzky's legacy is great. We are back. The news about Victor wimbin Yama being out for the season was blank Todd.
Speaker 4: Concerning Seaton great for Spurs fans.
Speaker 2: Marvin Silver's worst nightmare.
Speaker 5: Oh sports scary.
Speaker 2: I was gonna go. Concerning uh and being out for the season was flagworthy.
Speaker 4: I see what you did there, I see and I are on the same Cooper, Huh, good news.
Speaker 2: The Rams should blank Matthew Stafford Ton keep setan.
Speaker 4: They should bank Matthew Stafford bank paid that.
Speaker 2: Bank. The man trade replace Yes, if he wants out, he wants to get paid. The Rams aren't going to pay him, then you move on. Yes see, there are.
Speaker 4: Some shades of the Giants saying.
Speaker 2: Uh, Saquon, go see what you can get. He'll be right back. He's going to be a right back. Nobody's paying in that money. Yeah. But then I saw reports where the Giants would be interested in bringing in Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure makes sense.
Speaker 2: Why not? Well, if i'm that coaching staff, Matthew Stafford can probably help you keep your job better than maybe Schador Sanders can as far as winning some games. But you do find this though coaches who are on the hot seat, and sometimes the GM you draft that quarterback because you're like, well, you can't get rid of us. I mean, we got to develop this quarterback here. Ask the Bears how that worked. Now. They moved on because they needed to move on, and that's what you want. But Matthew Stafford, you give up for Matthew Stafford. I still think it's the Steelers makes a lot of sense. You know, the Steelers know how to find coaches, they don't know how to find quarterbacks. When you think they've had a lot of quarterbacks, they've had three head coaches but you know, you got Ben and you got Terry Bradshaw, you got a you got a lot of quarterbacks where you go things that make you go hmmm, yes, Mark.
Speaker 7: Did you just laugh at Neil o'd donald?
Speaker 2: He got some Super Bowl I know he did, and he threw a couple interceptions, right he did? Okay, yeah, Paul, it does.
Speaker 5: It does make Roethlisberger look better every year, like you miss him. The end of his career wasn't beautiful. Yeah, but now you're like, man, he was reliable.
Speaker 2: Todd. Uh, the NFL should blank the kickoff, spice up seating, get rid of it, keep it.
Speaker 4: I don't know, It's like I've never seen a game hate its self more than the NFL.
Speaker 2: Marvin get rid of boost.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the NFL should enhance the kick on And that's it. We just wore bad. We are so bad all right now a week away and we we we still know how to do it. Incredible. Could jump date the poll results there seating?
Speaker 4: Whoa, Now we're really really back? That's crazy. Uh, let's see, most are more cemented legacy. Your options are Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan. This has been going back and forth all day I've been monitoring this closely. Michael Jordan right now has fifty four percent of the vote. Just three minutes ago it was Wayne Gretzky with fifty one of the vote.
Speaker 2: So it is a developing situation. Fifty one fifty first space.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Larry in Michigan. Hi, Larry, what's on your mind?
Speaker 3: That's trick call again. I would just weighing in on the legacy of Gretzky versus Jordan. The wife and I were in twenty eighteen driving across from Washington to Michigan on Highway Too, which is right on the border Canada, and it was the thirtieth anniversary of Gretzky being traded. Oh my god. We had like two three hours of just phone calls of forty year old still crying talking about they got phone calls at school, their parents called them and all this stuff. And it was like, you know, where were you when Kennedy got shot at Where were you at nine to eleven? For Canadians this day, Oh my gosh, affected a big time.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you, Larry. Was it Peter Pocklington? Was he the owner of the Edmonton Oilers? That sound right? This is a money issue with Gretzki, Plus wasn't he Was he married to Janet? Or did he meet her in la? I should know this because I think she was. Was Janet Jones viewed as like Yoko Ono that you know, kind of broke up the band in Edmonton, like you know that John Lennon broke up the Beatles, or Yoko.
Speaker 5: Did smoking Hot though whatever she was doing.
Speaker 2: Oh, I remember that. We used to do these commercials where you'd have athletes who would be watching Sports Center and then it would be, uh, like a print ad. And Janet Jones says to me, I think we're at the s PCE, and she said it, I want to have a commercial of us in bed watching sports Center And I go, excuse me? She goes, no, Wayne and I are going to be in bed watching sports Center. I'm thinking, wait a minute, I don't know where this is going.
Speaker 5: For twelve seconds, is the greatest moment of your life?
Speaker 2: I was the great one and she so we did you know a print ad of I think it's Wayne and Janet in bed with I think the kids are all watching Sports Center?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pauli Peter Pocklington did on the Edmonston Oilers and a book about the Gretzky trade. Pocklington was quoted as saying Gretzky become impossible to deal with since he began dating Janet Jones.
Speaker 2: Uh jealousy.
Speaker 5: You ever sayd movie Flamingo Kid. Oh yeah, that's prime Janet.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah, and prime Matt Dillon.
Speaker 5: Yes, great hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think we forgot about Matt Dillon because of Matt Damon, like we just some you know with the name you're like, Matt Dillon was a big time actor. He was in some some good movies and The Outsiders, Wild Things, Okay, Todd forget Oh I know, oh, I know. When Kevin Bacon was on what a week ago, that's all you cared about it. I want to ask Kevin Bacon about Wild Things.
Speaker 10: I didn't give you a very good research on that. It was all about.
Speaker 2: Uh Paul in La Paul.
Speaker 6: Hey, good morning, Dan. I'm glad that you guys are back. And well I got a little poem for Todd. How you doing, Todd?
Speaker 10: What's going on?
Speaker 6: But I'm doing great? Man? Uh, this is it's called Todd Rocks. Dan new from the get go it was you that had the gift for you are multifaceted. You are Todd Fritz. You book the guests, you make clever rhymes. Your mister extreme gets Dan every time. Yes, from captain obvious to the blunt of a joke like some dreaded dough boy. They give you a poke all for the sake of content. Golden nuggets along the way, nuggets shining oh so bright, they can brighten another day. If there weren't such a category for hardest working Dan it, they'd fly your banner high or at least that's my bet. This ear is your year, Todd. I know you can do it, So go book Bill Murray and Jennifer love Hewitt.
Speaker 2: Wow, very nice. Appreciate that everything there, but we rallied at the very end.
Speaker 10: Well done, Thank you, Paul.
Speaker 2: Don't call Bill Murray I've been banned from Yes, don't don't call Bill Murray. Jennifer love Hewitt Catfish too. I think it's a better show. You know, it's a better story that you don't get her because you got Catfish.
Speaker 10: You're gona look at the Jessica albos if they at Catfish twice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to stop with that. You gotta stop.
Speaker 10: It's hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a little to spreak. Okay, gonna take a break. Got more phone calls coming up, and our best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up, best and worst of the weekend, we will give you hours eight seven seven three DP show Todd sent me a note. You know, it's late February in the sports world. When we agonize over whether Matthew Stafford stays with the Rams, debate whether the Sixers should shut down Joe ellen b we wonder aloud what it means that Shador Sanders won't throw at the combine. We start closely following bracketologists with their last four in explore how automatic balls and strikes are going to be called. At spring training, we find ourselves trying to predict when Alex Ovechkin's going to pass the great one, and we count the days until the NFL Draft. Yeah that today, Yeah, yeah, we'll be in Green Bay for that. We're probably doing three days. We might try to schedule the meet and greet when we're there. On that Wednesday. We don't want to upstage the draft if we did it on Thursday.
Speaker 5: Where would you go?
Speaker 2: Can we get the commissioner to join us at the meet and greet?
Speaker 11: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe the Commissioner comes over and just says, hey, Dan, I got a ticket. I wanted to meet you guys. All right, maybe we could arrange that for the com.
Speaker 11: Adam's kind of playing the role of like receiving the guests and bringing them over to where we are at the front of the establishment.
Speaker 10: If you'd be willing to do that.
Speaker 11: Who's that the commissioner be kind of at the front of where we're going to be doing the show, and he can greet guests, Oh, bring them over to our set showing where the green room is.
Speaker 10: Just going to put him to work a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was at an event in New Orleans and the commissioner was there, but I didn't go over to it because I think the stalemate continues, I thought. And my wife was with me, and there were Archie Manning was there, and you know, some other people that I knew, And all of a sudden a friend goes, hey, your friends back there, and I have who's my friend? Turn around? Who was Commissioner Goodell. And then he's like, you're going to go over and say hello. I go nah, no, need to. He should come over and say hello to me. And my wife goes, really, did you just say that? I go, hun, who's more important? She could to her the world? Yeah, And she did debate it. She goes, well, yeah you are, but you should just go over. I go, no, he doesn't want to come on the show. And she goes, would you want him on the show? I go, no, not anymore. I just said to Fritzie stop inviting him like it. You know, we don't need to. It's okay. But I didn't go over to Saloa to him Todd.
Speaker 10: That's always polite. I never got it for the last time. He's not interested. It's always he's just unavailable.
Speaker 11: Right now he's just got here. Let me get back to he's just not available.
Speaker 2: But it's okay. There's nothing I don't I don't need. I don't need him. It's okay. You know what, when I go on vacation, then maybe when you have a fill in host, then he'll come on and talk to Ross Tucker and that'll be fine. Maybe get Trey Wingo to fill in for me one day and he'll see. So he's been on the show what twice in the last ten years, twice in the last fifteen fifteen, and both times I'm on vacation.
Speaker 10: Way too much that.
Speaker 2: It's okay. Hey, he's busy and maybe he doesn't like me.
Speaker 10: Well, Dad, ask very easy softball questions. I'll get back to him.
Speaker 2: If that's yeah, and he may not like that. I'll ask tough questions. But I represent this audience. I don't care. What are you gonna do? Take away my scholarship. Most cars on the road can use a little TLC At Maco. They bring your car back to life with affordable peink choms like collision repairs. Get a free espmate today, Oh better get make up. Best and worst of the weekend, Todd, What do you have for me?
Speaker 11: My best of the weekend because I mentioned it fifteen times earlier. For those who haven't heard, I said Billy Joel at Mohegan Sun Saturday night with my wife. I decided to not do sports. Piano man's fingers still work well. He sounded great, had an awesome time. So that was my best of the weekend. Worst of the weekend Illinois basketball stuffering gets worst loss in school history Saturday Night one, ten sixty seven to Duke at MSG.
Speaker 10: Listen to this the fighting the line.
Speaker 11: I missed the first seventeen three point attempts, finished two for twenty six from behind the arc.
Speaker 2: Keep shooting, yeah, keep shooting yeah. Seaton Best and worst the weekend.
Speaker 4: My best of the weekend my Drake Bulldogs taking down their hated Northern Iowa Panthers. That is in overtime. By the way, that's one of the greatest rivalries in sports that no one's ever heard of. It's absolutely fantastic. Shout out to Drake. Let's go boys. Okay, My even more bester of the week my Seaton Hall Pirates taken down the Yukon Huskies.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That was the moment that I was like, damn, I wish we were still on the show. Seaton Hall were in the middle of like a seventeen game losing streak and I'm not even exaggerating it was something crazy like that, and they somehow squeak out a winner against the back to back national champs.
Speaker 2: God did that feel good? I don't care.
Speaker 4: They've lost every game before that, They've lost every game since, but they got that one.
Speaker 2: That's the one that counted Marvin. Best and worst of the weekend. You can go to Paul.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Paul, speaking of stories that I wish we were on the air for piggybacking Illinois with Fritzy. Illinois retired Terrence Shannon Junior's jersey last Saturday and when dropped from the banners, it was upside down and upside down upside down and it was a mistake. AD took credit for it, blamed for it, but Terrence Shannon Junior started to start doing t shirts off this where his number and his name is upside down. Having my best and worst of the weekend double best. Hannah Hidalgo, the guard for Notre Dame. Man is she fun to watch? She has mastered this game of basketball and the other one. Alex Rodriguez A Rod for some reason, was that had a Bucknell basketball game for a kid to win ten thousand dollars. He had a half court shot and celebrated with the bro. So fun weekend for a Rod.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then he's in line to take over the Minnesota Timberwolves with another partner there coming up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Mark, I'm ready now, Okay, Sorry, best of the weekend.
Speaker 2: I had two.
Speaker 7: Best andre Iguidala getting his number retired by the Golden State Warriors yesterday, good for him.
Speaker 2: Best The What oh Wait?
Speaker 7: Bester Court of Gold, the documentario on Netflix that followed four teams in the Olympics. Man super passionate. Everyone was super competitive. You saw Joki have some real fire. He cares more about winning a bronze medal for the Olympics than winning a championship at the NBA.
Speaker 2: You would gather that by watching his reaction.
Speaker 7: His screams, and like how animated he was in the locker room.
Speaker 2: Unreal. Uh. I enjoyed the season three of Reacher. The first three episodes, Reacher is just a drifter and wherever he goes, there's trouble and he cleans up the mess. He's a big dude. He looks like he played could play defensive lineman like nose tackle and white lotus. Get to see Patrick Schwarzenegger naked. Uh that's always you know, a bonus. It didn't help the plot. Yeah, I don't know why, very I don't know. Well, they probably do that to women all the time, so maybe the women are saying, yeah, we're okay with that as you said. Bonus, right, yeah, bonus, Yes I did. Yeah, so I think his dad is very proud of him.
Speaker 4: He said, tush Yeah, I got.
Speaker 1: A cute tushy.
Speaker 4: What's the big deal, got a cute tushy.
Speaker 10: I did not advance the story anyway. He was on his way to the bathroom or something and looking at it in an odd way.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, final hour on the way on this Monday