Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles ahead. He got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Mary's gonna score touchdown? Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo. He came flying into the back field.
Speaker 2: The rage is brought to you by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm? Hand by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot Com, Slash podcasts.
Speaker 3: Red Scenes, Rising Up, jump You, rizing vision, flurring rage taking over. Here's Paul Calvic. I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you ab ready. And Ron Wolfleep, it doesn't get any better than that. Unleash the fjord two hundred seventy two, and tonight is number one two hundred and seventy two regular season games in the NFL this year. And tonight is Numero who No Week one for everyone, And forget Ron Wolfley the whole trait and you're jes Are you ready for some football? No? Are you ready to cram it vertical? That's what I want to know. Around here. Are you ready for a new energy? You're ready for a new mentality, a new level of accountability, because it's all coming and we're kicking things off the original Thursday Night Football, The Big Red Rage, presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert. We are Santan Ford, Paul Calvic here, Ron Wolfy there, Paul.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you started with that right there, especially the Kramitt vertical, Okay, because that's exactly what I want the Arizona Cardinals to do offensively, is to cram it vertical and then defensively, Paul, I want them to cram it up. Do you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Paul, Hell, it's a family show.
Speaker 1: Wolf, No, Paulie, I'm talking about stuff it up, stuff the run, gotcha, gap integrity, Okay, I'm talking so PAULI just insummation once again, kram it vertical and cram it up, Paul.
Speaker 3: All right, By the way, just to let you know, I've already secured trademark rights on the T shirts, so don't even think about going into business. Calviy's can Consulting. We're going to be selling those T shirts real soon, here, Wolf, Okay, kram It vertical.
Speaker 1: You've me off on that one, Paul, and you know you didn't because I told JG we need a T shirt.
Speaker 3: All right. So here's the deal. Jonathan Gannon yet to publicly name his starting quarterback. Let's just start with QB one. Because Kyler Murray the known and unknown. What's known is he's on pop. He's gonna miss the first four games. When he's coming back dot dot dot unknown. I'm guessing around Halloween, give or take. I have no idea. That's strictly a guess. Here's what we do know is there's a good chance, at least reportedly according to the NFL Network, the Cardinals are going to start a quarterback who didn't take a single snap in Cardinals camp, didn't take a single snap with the Cardinals in the preseason. Okay, yet, he has an aerospace engineering degree from Tennessee. He has a big brain. His name is Josh Dobbs. And here's Dobbs on his ability to pick up the offense so far.
Speaker 4: I figured I was gonna get down pretty quick, you know, just being able to keep a good relationship with Drew and then get here and dive into the playbook, you know, having last week out there on the field with the guys, but also in the film room with the coaches to pour through kind of Hey, where the difference is from here? And in the last playbook I was in with them? How do you guys change stuff? Having that week helped a lot, and now being able to vocalize those nuances and stuff that I know or stuff that has changed to my teammates has been really good.
Speaker 3: All right, Joshua Dobbs right there, and he's talking about Drew Petsing, the Cardinals offensive coordinator who was his quarterbacks coach in Cleveland. Their connection, the relationship, his knowledge of this system in a lot of ways, including a lot of the burbage. So all that being the case, Well, what sort of challenge is this? Do you think if indeed he is your starter on Sunday?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's still going to be a big challenge, Pauli. It really is because he doesn't even know his teammates. I mean, I mean, I know he knows them right, Hey, how you doing, But he doesn't really know them yet. And you know, Pauli, it's kind of like you at a party whenever we go out and we socialize whenever that is, and you know how awkward you are, Paul at a party and it just you don't really know these people, so it puts you in a weird kind of vibe. And I think that's exactly where Josh Dobbs is. He's in that weird vibe type place right now where he knows his teammates, but he doesn't know his teammates, and that's going to be a process, of course. But the fact that he is a veteran I think really helps him right here. He has gone through a lot of the terminology, a lot of the pro concepts that you're gonna find in the National Football League. He did it at Pittsburgh, he did it with the Titans in Cleveland. And this is a guy that has been around and knows some of the concepts that exist in the game of football. And then Drew Petsing his relationship with him as well. He's a veteran, I expect him to go out and actually play like a veteran pauland not look like a guy that is a rookie.
Speaker 3: See the difference at a party versus football is in football, your teammates, your colleagues have their names on the back of their jerseys. So there's a competitive advantage in that regard. He actually made that joke that on game day he's actually gonna rely on the fact that guys have nameplates on the back, or you could just go to the Kaiser White. I remember him saying about a month after he was signed here with the Cardinals. He said he still didn't know anyone's names, but everybody was just hey, my man. Ever was my man, my man, So you can always go that route as well. Look, Joshua Dobbs just did this. Did he not to end last season on eight days notice? He went to ten see he learned their offense. He started the first two games of his career the final two games last season for the Titans. This second game was a lot better than the first game, so he's been there and done that. In terms of navigating the learning curve, he said he got a running start just by being traded to the Cardinals and the Drew Petsen system. That gave him a bit of it advantage. Yes, yes, but how restricted do you think Drew Petsen will be on the play calling sheet when it really gets down to it on Sunday?
Speaker 1: You know what, Paully, I really don't know for sure what to expect on that, but I can tell you my guess is that this is again a veteran quarterback who knows this offense to some degree, who knows Drew Petsing, of course, and you just heard him talk about that right there. And not only that though, Paully, but he's exactly what I think the Cardinals are looking for in a quarterback. This is something you've talked about as well. The dual threat nature of his game I think is something that they value. And because of that, Paul, you know, I expect them to open up the playbook. Now. When you game plan, of course, you're trying to be specific as to what you see on tape from your opponent. So you want to go ahead and say, okay, this is the defense they like, and run down situation, these are some of the pressures they like, and their nobvious pass situations, you know, whatever it may be. You're game planning specifically foreign opponent, so you don't have to have all of the playbook at his disposal. It's more of a game plan. It's going to be a focused attempt here by the Cardinals, and I think Josh Dobbs is going to handle that beautifully.
Speaker 3: Game plan is also the name of Jonathan Gannon's TV show, which we host every week, and we asked him specifically, you know, coach, you've said more than once that you really like about Clayton Tune and Josh Dobbs, the fact they can quote make plays inside and outside the pocket. And he said absolutely. In today's felt that is vital, that is critical. And when you watch just a little bit we've been able to watch at Josh Dobbs on the Cardinals practice field. He's very fluid, he moves very well. He throws very well on the run. He's very accurate on the run with a strong arm. He's one of four quarterbacks in SEC history to total fifty passing touchdowns and twenty five rushing touchdowns in their career, the others Tim Tebow, Dak Prescott and Johnny Manziel. So he can move. He can really run. Now, as for the old SEC connection, here's DJ Humphreys with only a scount of report Hump can give when asked about Josh Dobbs, his new quarterback.
Speaker 5: Josh, he's quiet, dude, as he says, what it seems like anyway from me. He went to Tennessee though, So it could he could just be a weird dude, you know what I mean. That could be the case. So I haven't really quite figured him out yet. But I'm you know what I mean, He's on my team, so I'm gonna find out. I'll let you know sooner or later whether now he's a cool dude or not. But U t starting out. Ah, gotta watch him, Gotta watch.
Speaker 6: Them for sure.
Speaker 3: See it's sort of like the trash talk between you and Larry Fitzgerald between West Virginia and Pitta get a little bit by the way.
Speaker 7: L J.
Speaker 3: Collier is our guest on this addition to the Big Red ration presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert. So we'll get some perspective on the Cardinals starting defensive lineman what he's seen a Dobbs in practice, along with about a ton of other topics as well. And look the other thing for whoever the quarterback is going to be. We both believe that this will be a much more balanced offense this year. Correct, Yes, James Connor. I mean, look, if you're a fantasy football manager and you left James Connor on the board late in your draft, you made a mistake, because I think he's tracking for a big year and it won't be for a lack of opportunities. They are going to give him the football.
Speaker 1: You know. It's also interesting, Paully. I'm agreeing with what you're saying, but I also I cannot help it. I think of Josh Dobbs and I think of his skill side, and I think he favors more Kyler Murray's skill set than he does Clayton in his skill set. So it's not that Clayton Tune cannot be a dual threat guy. I think he can, but he's got to prove that. He's got to develop that a little bit more for me, but for the fact that Kyler Murray at some point in time, I fully expect that I know you do as well. I think we all do, Bully, that Kyler Murray's going to get the opportunity to play here sometime in October. He's going to get the opportunity to play, and I fully expect the offense to look the same in regard to personnel groups, in regard to the formations they're going to use it, in regard to a lot of the plays that they're going to use. I think Kyler Murray starts that way. When he does get the opportunity to play, he's going to be in the Josh Dobbs offense.
Speaker 3: That's interesting, that's really interesting. I mean there's a reason they went after Josh Dobbs, obviously, the connection to Drew Petson and the knowledge right there. But I mean he's on his sixth team in his seventh season, and he just the end of last year started his first two career games. So what do the Cardinals know? What are the Cardinals like right about a Josh Dobbs And maybe that's a great point, Maybe just the fact it wouldn't be a big transition from his skill set to a Kyler Murray once K one returns. I like that very interesting. I mean it's we're gonna pose this question a little bit later, like what is the rest in the NFL gonna find out about this team that we think we know? And a balanced offense I think is won a really potent run game is one. I think another one is Michael Wilson can play, and you're gonna have some blocking receivers Zach Pascal and Michael Wilson you didn't have a year ago, which is gonna pave the way in the run game. I firmly believe. Episode sixty two of the Day Pash Podcast featuring Cardinals All pro safety Boodha Baker available now. You can follow on Twitter via hat Pash pod and by the way, Buddha Baker, he is tracking to have a career year as well. We continue with a big red rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert Too the year after a play action thing on the move rows and it's broken up, nearly picked off by Key Trell Clark.
Speaker 8: He can get from A to B right, He's fast, he's sticky on routes, and he's shown that throughout the Training Company show that in the first preseason game. What I also love about Key Treill is he's ferocious. You know, he's not the biggest guy, but he plays big.
Speaker 3: Heath Trell Clark coming up to make the big hit after a game.
Speaker 8: Of a couple and he ain't turning down any kind of contact and I do appreciate that.
Speaker 4: With his game as well, there's question marks.
Speaker 3: Do you need answers to those question marks?
Speaker 4: And he's one of those guys that may be an answer.
Speaker 3: Drew Staniers truly we're calling the game. We were saying, look, August is about answers, and the Cardinals think they got an answer on their six round rookie out of Louisville. Keyth Trell Clark, you're Nick Rollins there in the past, Pod. Guess what. It's September and he is a starting corner your sixth round rookie. It's the Big Red Rage presented by Santanford in go. We are santan Ford, Paul KELBC, Ron Wolfley right around the corner. We're joined by l. J. Collier, former first round pick of Seattle, a starting defensive lineman for the Cardinals. We've got a ton of questions there, but wolf in your mind, maybe the biggest question mark in terms of position, group cornerback going into this camp. Where do you feel on how the Cardinals stand right here, right now going against a heck of a receiving trio that Washington has on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paully, it's gonna be very, very tough right now. Obviously, Marco Wilson is still a young CB one and he's got all the athleticism you could possibly want right there, but yeah, he's still a work in progress. I think Keith Tarlt Clark the same thing. Obviously, he's a rookie right now. To me, Paully, it's really interesting, man, when you've got a young guy like that at corner, they can actually contribute, I think quickly. Because being a corner, especially if you're play an awful lot of man cover. Is you got that dude right there, you're not doing an awful lot of thinking.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't want to oversimplify it, I really don't, but for me, Key Trell Clark has got a chance to come in and make an immediate impact because of all of the man cover that I expect we're going to see at some point in time, whether it's a combination man's own or whether it's just straight up man whatever it may be, I expect to see a lot of man cover, and Key Trell Clark is a guy that I think can contribute immediately. It's kind of like playing edge, Paully, you can make an impact immediately as a rookie. Just go get the quarterback. Okay. Now, I know it's an oversimplification of the truth of course to say that, but it's one of the reasons why Michael Wilson and Wide receivers typically will struggle early on because of all the complex coverages that they're going to see. And yet at the same time, I don't expect Michael Wilson to struggle because he's absolutely brilliant.
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you what, Key Trell Clark, he got a lot of regular season looks and experience in the preseason. By that, I mean he got almost a full first half against Russell Wilson. He then got Patrick Mahomes, he got Justin Jefferson over to joint practices. He made an early play on Justin Jefferson, and then Justin Jefferson got him back right. So he learned a lot along the way. And along the way, you know, Wolf, you have to earn the trust of your coaches and your teammates. Here's Buddha Baker talking about Key Trell Clark and just the.
Speaker 9: Work ethic ConTroll is definitely one of those guys that puts the extra work in extra meeting in He'll talk to the you know, of course, the safeties see what we see of course, and you know he's he's a guy who's very fast, has has a quick twitch young and I'm very excited to see what he can do on Sunday because he's been making plays and I'm excited to see him make more plays season.
Speaker 3: We got a sense in early May that he was precocious as a rookie when he said he already had a notebook on Michael Wilson and other Cardinals receivers just for practice. Man, he had a notebook. So you see the work ethic and guess what it resulted in a starting position for a guy who's taken on Day three of the draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, Polly, once again, I mean, coming in, you only have two corners, two starting corners, now three. I think I included Nickel Corner as a starter as well. But it was interesting to see how Key Trell Clark came into that third preseason game and Polly was he was a done deal. He had made the team. You don't see a lot of guys drafted where Key Trell Clark was drafted coming into that third preseason game already established as a guy that not only was going to make the roster, but was most likely he figured to start as well. So that just shows you the kind of training camp and the kind of preseason that Key Troll Clark had in the confidence that the coaches have in him.
Speaker 3: So we went with the slogan let the rook cook for Clayton Tune the fifth round rookie quarterback right, and that was in the preseason. Looks like he's gonna be the backup. So now we're gonna inmend that to let the rooks cook. When you look at the depth chart, there's Key Troll Clark, there's a six pick overall, Paris Johnson Junior. He's a starter. And then the third rookie starting running with the first team is Michael Wilson, the third rounder out of Stanford. Here's Hollywood Marquis Brown today talking about the rookie.
Speaker 6: Mike got a unique skill set. Feel like our games come from each other very well.
Speaker 4: And I feel like a lot of people that sleep on him they're gonna wake up come game time.
Speaker 3: Hello, how about that? I mean, there's a lot of quiet confidence in that locker room about what's coming with Michael Wilson. And I think we got a real sense wolf, did we not? When he was held out a lot of the preseason. We didn't see him in a lot of the reseason games. Darren and I and this is more Darren than me because he actually covered that game, was there in person. He wondered aloud, Darren Urban, could this be an a Kwan Bolden sort of explosion where you keep a rookie receiver under wraps and then in the first game, we remember that epic historic game and Kwan Bolden had ten catches for over two hundred yards and two touchdowns. Now, nobody's predicting that sort of productivity, but he could have a big impact on Sunday and make a name for himself.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, Paul, there's no doubt. And you know, again I have to say this, but Michael Wilson is a really smart guy. Run He's a super smart guy, ball, I gotta tell you, man. And because of that, he's got a chance to actually come into the National Football League as a wide receiver and make an immediate impact. Now, you know, once again, we've seen wide receivers from time to time coming and make that immediate impact. We've seen that, but as we've discussed many times in the past, it's rare that it actually happens. And Michael Wilson, he's got it upstairs. He can understand the concepts offensively, he can understands read routes offensively. He can redefenses Paul and understand some of the adjustments and do it on the fly. This is what I've been told, because he's a very very bright guy, Paul. If you can't do that, you got no chance of being a receiver that is actually going to contribute big, contribute significantly your rookie year. If you can't see it first in the brain. He does see it, which tells me now he's got a chance to be able to go out and execute it. And when you're talking about a guy who's six to two hundred and thirteen pounds, who's very, very physical, this is a guy that I love. Opposite of Hollywood Brown.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about that for a minute. I think that's another reason why he's running first team, because this team is dead set on running the ball. And when he listened again, and he's not kidding when he says the run game is all eleven, he expects the receivers to block. There's a reason Zach Pascal is going to be out there. There's a reason of Michael Wilson, I think is starting instead of some of the smaller receivers on this roster. Because they're going to feature the run, and we know talking to the coaches, he's put on film some hallacious blocks already in the preseason. The little action he got, he did not hesitate to bring the boom on some defenders. So they're counting on that aspect of his game. And you're right because it was a study two years ago and they said the lowest hit rate for any first round position group in the draft and make an immediate impact was receiver. It was like seventeen percent. I don't know how they calculates all the analytics. The point was that receivers, more than any other position group, have an initial difficulty trying to make that transition and be productive in the regular season. And a lot of that is the mental side of it, because your forty doesn't matter, your hands don't matter if you're not running the right route and being in the right spot for your quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yes, and not only that too, Baly, You've heard me talk about a lot about twelve personnel right one back, two tight ends. Can you imagine twelve personnel where you've got Jeff Swain as a stud tight end on the field, Zach Ertz as your move tight end on the field, Michael Wilson as your why and Hollywood Brown as your ex can I tell you right now, attack the line of scrimmage, Attack the line of scrimmage, and then use play action to throw it over their heads. I love the fact that you've got two tight ends out on the field and a Michael Wilson out on the field who is going to block down field and is a big unit doing it. Attack the line of scrimmage with two tight ends blocking, Attack the line of scrimmage Kramitt vertical as JG loves to say with James Connor, and then here's Hollywood Brown over the top with a play action for me, Paul Again, it's a very simple approach, yet it's a deadly approach, and it's been around the NFL for a long long time, and I love that combination.
Speaker 3: We were watching the Red White practice in camp, the Great Roy Green said, you know what's gonna be the best thing for Hollywood Brown, Rondel Moore and Greg Dorch play action, big shots downfield to those yep so single game tickets on sale now Easycardinals dot com slash buy tickets. That's Asycardinals dot com slash by tickets because don't forget after this Washington road trip, the Giants come to the a Z Dallas comes to town. Well, how many times have you said Washington has four first round picks on the defensive line. You know what? The Cardinals added their own former first round pick on the defensive line, and we're gonna talk to him next.
Speaker 1: L J.
Speaker 3: Collier joins us on the big red rage resented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford, Russell Wilson and the gun flick sec went brow batter at the line of scrimmage, and that was L. J. Collier getting the big mid up there and knocking it down. The former first round pick out of Seattle has had an early career revival, at least so far in Cardinals camp.
Speaker 10: If anybody is the best cooking d line room is me. I make one hell of a steak. Shout out to Trager Man.
Speaker 3: Okay, so he's flexing his ability to grill a steak. Yeah, the only steak he grew is still in his freezer. So he told us.
Speaker 5: He told us he was gonnavite everybody over to come to the pool and he was like, I'm buying steak.
Speaker 3: So I'm buying chicken wings and we just didn't make.
Speaker 10: It, so I think it's still in his freezer with some trash.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what, Wolf, there's one unanswered question that we have to address before week one, before this season kicks off, We're gonna get to the bottom of this. Jonathan Ledbetter, l J. Collier or back to Jonathan Ledbetter. It's like the US Open tennis right now, we're coming back to the other side.
Speaker 7: L J.
Speaker 3: Collier joins us in the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert Your response to this cooking controversy, if you will, LJ.
Speaker 6: Man, Look, I don't have to say anything. I can just ask my wife, her family.
Speaker 10: I got plenty of people that have come vouch for my stakes man, And if you guys would ever give me an opportunity, I'd love to make you one. I feel like I do all right, I'd do Okay, John don't even have a grill at his house.
Speaker 6: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, LJ. I've got it. Okay, you guy, I know you got the grill, and that's awesome right now. But I gotta ask you this before we dive into the meat of this. You come from a small town, correct.
Speaker 10: Very small, man. Monday is one of those towns that if you blink going through, you'll miss it. But it's a great place to grow up, I guarantee you.
Speaker 1: And where exactly is it again? And how many people are populating this town?
Speaker 10: Man? It might be a thousand to five hundred in the town. And like I'll tell you, I might have had a one hundred to three hundred kids in the school. I can't really remember. I've been gone so long, but I mean, I'll tell you like this, my sophomore year of English, it was three of us in there. It was me, it was a girl named Darien and Yachty, So it was just us three in there. I still talk to my English teacher to this day. Me and her son are pretty close.
Speaker 3: So this is this is Monday with you, Monday, Texas. Yes, sir, okay, wow. So what was the football program like then?
Speaker 6: When I was in high school and coming up? We were actually really dominant.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 10: We had one of the best teams in the state at the time. We won state my junior year, and we were always pretty good. They're not as good as we were back in the day, but I played both sides of the ball. I played tight end for my first three years, and then my senior year I got mixed around a little bit. I played some running back, some receiver. I kicked, I kicked off, and I kicked field goals.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, wait running back and receiver. You're an NFL defensive lineman.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I had a nice little tool book coming out of coming out of LJ.
Speaker 1: You're telling me you had hands.
Speaker 6: Oh guaranteed, I promise you.
Speaker 3: Well, fulet me tell you. If my kids on the field and LJ Colliers run, I need the ball. I'm pulling my kid off defense. It just I mean, that's just. I mean, give me a break on that one.
Speaker 1: Oh my, When when did they settle on you being a defensive tackle?
Speaker 6: Uh? Man? Pretty much?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 10: I met Sonny Comby, my recruiter after my junior year when I picked off a pass in the state game and ran it back for a touchdown. I pretty much knew then I was gonna play D line then and there.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe that's when you learn to cook, because you had to put on like one hundred pounds, right.
Speaker 10: I don't know, truth be told, man, I like I'd always wanted to learn how to grill and stuff, and uh, I never had time in college. So when I got my own house and stuff, I said, I reached out to my agency what they could help me do. And I just be like, Trager helps you out a lot with the recipes on the app and stuff. So I just go from there and I just mix and match my own stuff.
Speaker 3: Wow, I might have to try that. The wife isn't a big fan of my barbecuing skills, by the way, that's neither here nor there. It's the big red rage Old J Colley or joining us, Paul kelvc Ron Wolfey. All right, so how regular season ready do you feel right now going into this opener at Washington?
Speaker 10: This is the best I felt in my career as far as like just mentally prepared ready to go, you know, just from all the stuff I've learned in Seattle and then stuff that the coaches have put us through here. I feel like we're ready. A lot of people think we're not, but I feel like we're gonna go out there and we're gonna show the world that we are more than what they say we are. It's a group of guys that are hungry. We got a lot to prove, and we don't want to prove anything to anybody but the people that are in this building and in that locker room.
Speaker 1: LJ. You mentioned it right there Seattle. Why do you think things didn't work for you in Seattle?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 10: It was a little of them and it was a little of me, Man went hand in hand. I should have made more plays here and there, and it just wasn't the right fit. There's a lot of good people over there in that building, and I have a lot of respect for some of them. Pete John, those guys like that gave me multiple chances, but I really just needed a fresh start in a new place.
Speaker 3: You mentioned in the media about a month ago that it's a different mindset for you now in Arizona. Can you elaborate on that.
Speaker 10: You don't understand what it's like. I don't know how much you guys know about Seattle, but it's just kind of like a dark, gloomy place, and when you're not playing well and stuff's just not going your way, it'll really carry on to you. Man, you're just not feeling good about yourself. Whereas you get out here, it's sunny every day, it feels good. It just It brings energy into you, and I told myself I was gonna take a different approach when I got here.
Speaker 6: I will smile every day. I will love what I do.
Speaker 3: So what do you think Cardinals fans are going to see out of your game? Do you give us a scattery report on yourself? Because I think everyone's wondering. They see your resume, right, they see your status as a first round pick. Obviously the Cardinals have a need at that position. How would you describe yourself right now as you start this season.
Speaker 10: I feel like I'm gonna go. I'm gonna rush the hell out of the pastor this year and we're gonna stop the run. I feel like I'm gonna have a great year. I'm gonna go for six or seven sacks, a lot of TFLs, and I'm gonna ball this year. I could care less about the first round pick. Thing that only mattered the night of Now I'm in and that's all that matters. How can I provide for my family? How can I continue to make this thing go? How can I make this organization one of the best in the league. That's really what matters to me these days.
Speaker 1: Now, I gotta tell you that is I love that right there when you're talking about your family. How can I go out and provide for my family? Because you know what, once you have that your motivation, as you know LJ, it'll never leave you. That chip is going to be taking off your shoulder and it's going to be buried in your heart internally. Once you're like, hey, listen, I'm out here, you guys. You're out here playing a game. That's great. I'm trying to support my family. That motivation is awesome. So let me talk to you about this right here from a technique perspective. Three technique, five technique, where one technique, wherever they're going to move you, where do you like to play the most?
Speaker 10: I like playing over the three of these days three technique. You know, I leave the five stuff to the guys out there like cams. So then it's like.
Speaker 1: Being on the outside shoulder of the guard whether it's strong or weak.
Speaker 10: Oh yes, sir, one hundred percent these days and you just work edges and help mainly go down the middle of them.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 10: But one thing I can say, man, it's easy to come on here and tell what I'm going to do. And I'm a type of person. I've done a lot of talking in my career where I'd rather just get up there and just show you guys what I come by.
Speaker 6: It's a long season.
Speaker 10: It may not start out the way I want the beginning, but I guarantee you we're gonna finish drone.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the head coach, Jonathan Gannon, just on how they plan on using L. J. Collier, and it's going to be different than it was with this previous team.
Speaker 7: Knowing how they used them in Seattle for you know, what they thought was best for their team, We're using them a little bit differently for what we think is best for our team. And then for him, he's done a really good job of, you know, taking on that responsibility and playing with some different techniques that he hasn't played with since he's been in the NFL. I like where his game is at. He's he's a he's a mean guy with a high motor.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 3: We saw you get kicked out of a training camp practice man.
Speaker 10: Just me and my guy Dennis has had a disagreement that day. It was birthday of pass just you know, a little extra pushing, and we've since talked and worked it over.
Speaker 6: And everything.
Speaker 10: Man, just when you played Delona Olin, Man, stuff just gets hectic in there sometimes. And I love Dennis to death. Man, we're cool now. We squashed it, but man, sometimes sparks get the flying in there, punches get thrown. It's a it's a grown man's game within the.
Speaker 1: Just so you know, LJ, I was standing and applauding when you were walking off the field when they tossed you. Because of that, I just to honestly, a lot of people don't understand, I think, and to me, it actually relieves a lot of pressure built up in that locker room right there, and it's amazing once you do go at it with a guy. Just like you said, so much of the time you end up making up respecting each other and everybody gains from it. It's an incredible thing, and you have to experience it, I think, to actually see it. But it sounds like to me, LJ, listening to you talk, you've had to come to the waters moment in your career. You feel like you're different somehow with the Cardinals than you were with the Seattle Seahawks.
Speaker 6: Correct, Where is that?
Speaker 1: How is it? Why is that different?
Speaker 10: My mentals are different? I'm believing myself again. The confidence is there. I had no confidence in Seattle. I didn't believe in myself At times. I didn't understand how it was the first round pick. It was just times things weren't coming to me as easy. And now I just took a different approach in watching film and just really harping on myself to be like, man, that's not me, that's not who I am. I'm here for a reason. God has a plan for me, and like, wow, it's either one of those things where like I talked to my mentor he was just like, man, look, dude, like what do you want to do. Do you want to be an NFL player? Do you want to go home and sit on the couch? And I'm just like the way they're paying us in this job, like this man, you like, like I said at the end of the day's family man. And where I come from, I didn't come for much, and I feel like I'd be a fool to turn this down, this opportunity to go out there and make myself money, generational money that can set me up for life and have fun doing it.
Speaker 6: I didn't have fun in Seattle. I mean, it just wasn't fun for me.
Speaker 3: Sounds like you don't lack for motivation right now.
Speaker 10: No, I'm man, Look, I'm geeked up and I'm ready to go. I have a lot to prove, man, and I'm just like, it really just proven to myself that I can do what I said I can do, and I know I can go out there and provide for this team and be one of the best in the league.
Speaker 6: I believe that it will chair well.
Speaker 1: I just Paulie, I just got to jump l chaiirut that I love that because once again, so many people say I want to prove other people wrong. You are saying I want to prove myself right. That's what I'm hearing coming from you, Ed Buddy. I gotta tell you if you do not lose sight of that, because if you continue down that road with that kind of mentality, dude, man, with your skill and your talent, that's gonna be a winning combination for you.
Speaker 3: Brother Wolf play ten years as a fullback, they're still talking about how he fought Richard Dent. Okay, the big defense. Now it didn't go Wolf's way, but you know the respect Wolf ern Okay, and that's l Jake Olay is our guest here. Let me ask you this. We didn't see a whole lot in the first team d line in the preseason, but when we did it was impressive. What should our takeaways be from that? And then what sort of defense? I'm not asking a game plan, I'm talking style of defense. Do you think we'll see under Nick Rolis this year?
Speaker 6: We're gonna get after the ball.
Speaker 10: We're gonna be aggressive, We're gonna be technique sound, and we're gonna be physical. We're gonna get after you were gonna run to the ball. We're gonna all work in one motion. One thing I know about defense is you gotta do your one to eleven. Everybody has a job to do. Everybody has something to do, and if you do your job, check off the boxes, you'll win that day.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a lot of talk about Washington's defensive line right now, four first round picks. You've heard it probably mere right. Does that fire up the opposing position group room when you hear about that all week?
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, because they're not saying anything about us all just they don't have any big name, big money guys. And now I'm just like man at the end of the day. One thing. I don't know if you guys have seen the movie any given Sunday, but that movie holds like a heavy place in my heart. Come just like they said, al Pacino said it right, anything can happen on Sundays. Man, you can say what you want during the week. All those guys who do the pencil pushing and on the computers and stuff. I said, Man, you ain't got to go out there and play. You can say what you want to do about those guys in hell, the Commander's defensive line. Know if you of Montez Sweat was drafted two picks before me, and he'd had a great career. Those guys are who they are for a reason. But we are who we are for a reason. We'll knock on them or the Commander's organization, but we will so then we are here too. We got a lot of We got a hungry room. I'm not the only guy in that room that's hungry and believes they can take their career off this year. Everybody in that room is hungry. We have a great group. There's no drop off with us.
Speaker 1: But LJ. Does al Pacino know what a solid defense is or a bear.
Speaker 6: Defense does not even not great movie though, he said, I.
Speaker 1: Know it was a great movie, but it's man, I see a lot of that. Is that what you guys call it? Just you know, terminology wise, when you cover the three interior offensive linemen with a nose tackle and two three techniques for the most part, is that you call that solid? Or do you call it a bear?
Speaker 10: We just called it pretty much just base. Sold it would be a whole different thing, but I call it base. Yeah, just base, Just like do.
Speaker 1: You like that? What is the advantage to you when three defensive linemen are bunch down, sunk down on both sides, what is the advantage?
Speaker 6: All gaps are taken.
Speaker 10: I handle my gap on the right, led handles on the left, and Lakey holds it down the middle or keV or whoever does is in the game and there's nowhere for anybody to go.
Speaker 3: The sea.
Speaker 10: Gaps are taken by the linebackers. I got the B. A gaps are taken like everywhere, there's no waybody to run. That's why I said, where the one eleven thing comes back into play. I handle my B gap. The guys on the outside handle their gaps. Man, we'll all be fine, So.
Speaker 3: You played LJ. Coller, you played at Washington twenty twenty one, two years ago. It's gonna be, by all accounts, a totally different scene on Sunday, new ownership, including Magic Johnson, who gave a pep talk I guess yesterday to the locker room. It's it's been sold out for weeks. It's gonna be a big vibe in that stadium, isn't it.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be fun, man.
Speaker 10: I'm like, man, there's no greater feeling than getting a sack and just hearing the crowd either shut up or rule.
Speaker 6: There's no better feeling, man. So I've not lived for this, man.
Speaker 10: That's what we work our tails off for, from when the season ends to it begins to ota. This is what you're doing it for it man, to get to Sundays and show up and show out.
Speaker 1: So, LJ. You're you're obviously watching a lot of tape, and I would imagine you're watching a lot of tape on the Commander's offense. Of course, talk to me about their off line right now. What are you seeing on tape from center all the way out to the tackles.
Speaker 10: Oh, the center's kind of a heavy set of guy. You know, he's gonna be real aggressive. Him and the left guard are gonna be real aggressive. But the right guard is more. He's a former tackle, so he's gonna be more like he's gonna jump out to the b gaps more. And they can't really set on bull rushes very well, so we're gonna have to work that very much, really game them up a lot. And they're not a bad group. You can't really disrespect any guy that plays in the NFL. They get a check just like we do. But I feel like if we hit all the points we talked about this week, we'll do fine. From running games and really mixing stuff up and using our hands and getting on edges and the things we have seen in weeks to come from those guys or what they've done peeps or how guys have beat them before.
Speaker 6: I like, we'll show up and we'll have a good day on the D line.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what, I got a half an eye on number ninety one in this game.
Speaker 7: L J.
Speaker 3: Coller, thanks, man, appreciate you.
Speaker 6: Oh no, I appreciate you, guys.
Speaker 3: Man outstanding. We continue to be right back to wrap up this edition to the Big Red Rage, presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert, the host of his Jankins right to laugh, play Bank Blumber rolling right still on the rum, gonna take off to the five and times and he is in for the touchdown. The arms are up, the Cardinals score after the turnover. That's a historic call, Ron Wolfley, are you aware that your longtime broadcast partner, Dave Pash that's his first ever Cardinal's touchdown call in the history of Arizona Cardinals Radio circa two thousand and two at Washington. Think about that, Oh, Paulie, you know that Dave Pash.
Speaker 1: Working with him all these years has been such an awesome experience. Right there, I know, PAULI when to shut up when Dave's talking, Trust me on that.
Speaker 3: I wonder who's older, Nick Rolis now or Dave Pash? Then it's close twenty nine thirty years of age right in that range right there. It is the Arizona Cardinals Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are Santanne Ford Special thanks LJ. Collier in that last segment. Great and you know what, I think, there's a quiet confidence that he's building a great season straight ahead we'll see. It's certainly a critical year. He's in a contract year, came over on a one year proved deal after being a first round pick by Seattle. Now the Cardinals going into Washington, A let's just say that Cardinals history has a lot of monumental moments. Okay, we're talking that two thousand and two year, and you heard that call. That was Jake Palmer's final season opener with the Cardinals. That highlight the year before was Pat Tillman's final NFL game at Washington. Four or five months later, news broke of Pat Tillman joining the Army. Think about that. Wow, That two thousand and one season of an alley at Washington was also Adrian Wilson's first career pick six. So there's and now now think about it. This game marks the first game under the new ownership group Josh Harris, Magic Johnson. By the way, Magic Johnson gave a big old speech, inspirational, motivational speech to Washington, to that locker room yesterday. I guess it fired up all the commanders. Based on reports, this new ownership group bought the team for over six billion dollars, and the word is they have not seen this level of anticipation for a Washington game since RG three's rookie year that was more than a decade ago. It's sold out and that's something they haven't done recently. Game has sold out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's incredible, Paully, It really is. When I think of this matchup and that is coming up on Sunday. Of course, for me, all I can think of is the offensive line of the Commanders, because that has been the biggest question mark coming into training camp, coming into the preseason, it's been their offensive line, the Commander's Polly and to me, I think that's where the Arizona Cardinals need to get after that offensive line. They brought in some free agents. They're trying to actually build that offensive line. But that is the biggest question mark. It's not their skill. Their skill is good and Sam Howell's got a lot to prove that. But their skills, of course, we all know Terry McLaurin are scary. Terry Paul Scott does he not have the best nickname ever? Right there? We know they've got great skill, but that offensive line is a question mark.
Speaker 3: So you look at those receivers, right, Terry McLaurin, John Dotson Curtis Samuel. But and they have weapons. There's no doubt. They got Logan Thomas, the former Cardinals. They're starting ten. And but the thing is, if you have a bad offensive line, yes, dare I say you have a bad team, you're going nowhere. In the last five years, this Washington offense has finished in the bottom three of virtually every single category they've had. This is their seventh different season opening quarterback in seven years. So you're right for all the talk this week about jeez, can the Cardinals Z line hold up against the Washington Commanders D line on the four first round picks? That might be where this game turns. The Washington offensive line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paula, you know, and I know you can flip it over. You can say, man, that great Washington Commander's defensive line against the Arizona Cardinals offensive line. Yeah, that is going to be a huge match up a huge part of the game as well. But I'm looking at Sam Howell. Everyone's talking about, oh my goodness, you're starting Josh Dobbs, you know, or maybe it's Clayton toone. You're starting right now? Hey, listen, you know what, It's not like Sam Howell's been out there for the last five years, you know, throwing forty passes a game. No, he's not.
Speaker 3: It's his second career start.
Speaker 1: He's got nineteen pass attempts on his career, Paul, And you know, to me, you've got to be able to protect him. Of course, can the Arizona Cardinals get to him. I would stuff the box, Paul. I would do that. I would force Howell to throw the ball. I would force him to beat you, show that he can beat you. If you've got to adjust mid stream, fine, But for me, if I'm Nick Rowlis, I'm cramming up the box man and cram it up. There you go, Paul.
Speaker 3: Everybody cites his win against Dallas in Week eighteen last year. It was a meaningless game for Dallas. They showed up with preseason intensity and energy, and he went a pedestrian eleven and nineteen for a buck sixty nine. He had a touchdown, he had a pick. He struggled in the red zone in that one. Now he's got some wheels, a little bit he can move. He ran for a touchdown. He threw a fifty two yard bomb to Terry McLaurin, who, by the way, practiced full today. With that toe injury, so he's tracking to play. But I'm with you, Sam Howe, as as much to prove as anyone out on that field. And if you can take away his run game, to your point, you stuff up the box and you put it all on the guy who was a fifth round pick a year ago. Guess what advantaged Cardinals I would think, And I'm guessing that Nick rowss Wolf is going to show him anything and everything just for the sake of trying to confuse the inexperienced quarterback right exactly.
Speaker 1: But that's a rundown where you jam up the box, you stuff it up, and then on third and nine pass situations, I think we're gonna see a lot of complex pressure and blitz packages coming from the Cardinals. I think they're gonna show him that they want to almost get inside his head, I think a little bit, and then play coverage and hope that in selected situations he might throw them the ball.
Speaker 3: What do you think about the Cardinals blitzing real quick? Because this staff did not have to blist with Philly last year. How aggressive do you think they will get on.
Speaker 1: If it's Polly. I think we're going to see that early. I think that's what we're gonna see. Pressure bringing five and Blitz is bringing six or more. I think we'll see it early. Try to get in his head and then play coverage.
Speaker 3: Interesting all right? Single game tickets again on sale now. Go to Easycardinals dot com slash buy tickets to secure your seats. Today. Cardinals at Washington Week one, one hundred twenty six meeting in a rivalry that dates back to nineteen thirty two. It is sold out and there's gonna be plenty to talk about once we get through Week one special. Thanks as always Jim Almahunter, Cody Fincher, Lauren Kobel, Farron Wolfley on Paul Calvic Special. Thanks to LJ. Hollier for joining us on this edition of The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert. Number one, Tylan, you've.
Speaker 2: Been listening to The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm and buy Arizona Cardinals podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcasts.
Speaker 3: This has been an exclusive
Speaker 2: Presentation of Arizona Cardinals Football Club.