Speaker 1: Hi, guys, welcome to another episode of Legally Brunette. I will be your host today Emily Simpson with my co host Shane Shane. Okay, today we thought it was really important to do, first of all and update in the Menendez case. It is proceeding along actually very swiftly, and it's been interesting because Gavin Newsom has now really gotten involved in this case. First of all, you all know that DA Nathan Hawkman is involved in the Menendez case and in the resentencing, he reversed the course of his predecessor, who was Gascon. He was a more progressive DA. He was the one that was really pushing for the resentencing of the Menendez brothers. But Hawkman came out and said that he will only reconsider if the brothers apologize for what he calls a litany of lies. So he was interviewed and he told NBC News quote, if they go ahead and sincerely and unequivocally for the first time in thirty years layout that they have now lied on their entire defense and finally admit that they killed their parents in cold blood, then that will be a new insight that the court should then reconsider what he is doing, what Hawkman is doing is withdrawing the DA's support for their recenencing, and he featured a list of sixteen unacknowledged lies by the brothers. Now we'll get into some of these sixteen lies that he's saying that they need to basically come clean and fess up to before he would even consider giving a recommendation that the judge should resentence them. Basically, he's saying, I'm not supporting the resentencing at this point. That was on Monday, March tenth.
Speaker 2: So all so far. The only condition that he's adding is that they confess to a cold blooded murder.
Speaker 1: No, they did murder their passion.
Speaker 2: She may not confess, but he wants them to apologize.
Speaker 1: No, he said that. Basically, what he's done is he's gone back and he's basically retrying them, which is not what resentencing is about. This is where I think he's completely off base and he's not understanding resentencing. Resentencing is based on rehabilitation and where they are now and have they learned their lessons and are they different.
Speaker 2: People revisit them revisiting.
Speaker 1: He's gone back and I feel like he's retrying them, and he's saying, look in this first trial, there's these sixteen lies. And before I'll even consider giving a recommendation that you should be resentence, you need to go back and admit that you know, lied about all these things.
Speaker 2: And literally the first trial or the second trial, it.
Speaker 1: Was the first trial. But here's the thing. When they were tried in the first trial, all of these lies were testified to, they were cross examined on, the jury heard them, and then the jury ended up being a hung jury. So I don't think to me, those are moot issues at this point. We've already tried these They were also eighteen and twenty one at the time, so we do have to consider that we're talking about thirty five years prior. So next, this is on Monday, March tenth, when Hawkman withdrew any type of support for their resentencing. I think Newsom is playing chess with Hawkman, because then the next day, on Tuesday, March eleventh, California Governor Gavin Newsom dropped a breaking news on his new podcast, announcing that Lyle and Eric will go in front of the Parole Board on June thirteenth for a hearing. So what he's ordered is a public risk assessment report to be done and then they're going to have a parole Board hearing on June thirteenth. So I feel like his pushing for them to have a hearing in front of the Parole board was a direct response to Hawkman saying we withdraw any support for the resentencing. I mean, you can tell that to me. It's like like Gavin Newsom's playing chess with Hawkman. Hawkman makes a move and then the next day on his podcast, Gavin Newsom's like, well, I'm going to give him a parole board hearing and we're going to do this risk assessment.
Speaker 2: You know. It's kind of like the publicity with the Netflix special and whatnot afforded them the opportunity the voice where people wanted a resentencing or whatever and it kind of resurfaced, right, So it gave him kind of that spotlight, and it's also giving them the spotlight where now Gavin Newsom and other people are like stepping in and everyone wants to be in the kitchen, you know, cooking on this thing.
Speaker 1: And well, yeah, I mean, let's be honest, we're talking about To me, it's a pr stot on both sides. Because Hawkman likes to give news conferences all the time. He clearly enjoys being in front of the camera, and the way for him to get publicity in front of the camera is to talk about Menendez because everyone's obsessed with this case. Then Gavin Newsom has a new podcast. So what's a better way for him to get views on his podcasts and to get his podcasts out there than to announce that he that he's asked, you know, the parole board to give them a hearing and so but you know, what's also interesting is that they independently have hearings on June thirteenth in front of the parole board, which means that they're not being lumped together into like one decision. It is normal, but I think for me, even though that you've.
Speaker 2: Seen them together all the time, so then it's like you just assume that it's right. One of them is a couple committing the crime, and so they should be tried the same, and they're the same, and here they are being separated, and then it runs the risk of one being you know, getting a different result than the.
Speaker 1: Other exactly well that that there's a potential for that because they have independent parole hearings. Even though I do know that they've had amazing prison records over the past thirty five years. They've been heavily involved in lots of things like green space where they're putting you know, they're painting murals and creating green space in the prisons. They've been involved in the hospice, and they've both academically excelled and gotten degrees, and they've worked with, you know, other victims of abuse. And they also claimed on a recent podcast that they did with Garagos you know how Garaghos and what's the guy's name from TMZ, Harvey Harvey Harvey Harvey, because you know, because you watch TMZ all the time.
Speaker 2: No, yes, you do.
Speaker 1: You're the one that told me that TMZ stood for a thirty mile zone.
Speaker 2: What do I mean? I know? I wat?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, you get TMZ, you get TMC alerts on your phone.
Speaker 2: I know this annoying.
Speaker 1: Well that's what I'm saying, all right. Anyway, anyway, so the brothers actually did an interview on their podcast recently I think this was last week, and they were talking about all these things that they've done in prison. Anyway, my whole point is the recencing comes down to rehabilitation. And are they a different person than they were thirty five years ago? Have they grown, have they rehabilitated themselves? Are they a risk to society? How does their family feel? And we all know that their entire family supports them being released and being recent So anyway, that's where we at. So they still have also which is interesting because I'm not really sure how this works, but they still have their resentencing hearing scheduled for March twentieth and the twenty first. So I was actually chatting about it with Alex who represents them, she's on their team, on their legal team, and she was saying, well, it hasn't been continued or rescheduled or anything at this point. So basically what they could do is proceed forward and present evidence of their rehabilitation, their prison record, the family and all of that stuff, and then we'll see what happens on June thirteenth when they go before the parole board.
Speaker 2: So basically, Menendez update is another stay tuned.
Speaker 1: It is another stay tuned. But I think what's really interesting is that Hawkman comes out and basically kills the resentencing like it, you know what I mean, Like he it's doomsday for him and then Gavin Newsom comes out the next day and he's like, no, it's not Kevin news Some just Granthum plenacy Commune. Yes he could, and that's that's another option. So we still have two options at this point.
Speaker 2: And then he should have him on his podcast. Exactly wants the ratings there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's going to have to pay a lot for that, though, I think they're not just going to go on a podcast for he's got money. Let's talk about just a little bit of the sixteen. Hawkman calls them the unacknowledged lies that they have not admitted to, So let's just well, we won't go through all of them, but let's just go through some Eric and Lyle Liby.
Speaker 2: Next question, so these lies are in the first trial, not in the second. If in the first trial there are lies and then the second trial just for arguments there were no lies, then why is he going back to that like the first trial that got thrown out?
Speaker 1: Anyway, Well, I think that's the whole point of he's not really understanding or wanting to understand.
Speaker 2: Or allows them to be released. He won't be able to do any public speaking anymore.
Speaker 1: No, he needs another famous case, cam up the.
Speaker 2: Murders out.
Speaker 1: They are staying in so that I can give weekly press conferences. All right, he said, some of these lies are Eric and Lyle lied when they claim that their parents were going to kill them and that they had to act in self defense by murdering them. First, first of all, their defense in their first trial was not self defense. It was actually imperfect self defense. So that's not exactly accurate. And imperfect self defense is a partial defense that doesn't meant all legal requirements, but may reduce the severity of a criminal charge. So, for example, a defendant may claim imperfect self defense, which the brothers did, if they reasonably but mistakenly believe that they were in danger of death or serious injury.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, which is like, okay, you genuinely were in fear for your safety. However, a reasonably prudent person would not be in fear.
Speaker 1: Right and exactly, and this is what their defense was in the first trial was imperfect self defense because there was no immediate harm when they killed their parents. Their parents were sitting and you know, in the in the den watching a movie, eating ice cream and blueberries when they came in and shot them. So the imperfect self defense was a reasonable person would not feel that their life was in imminent danger at that time. However, their defense was they had been abused for so long that they weren't thinking like a reasonable, rational person, and that they felt that they were that their parents were going to kill them.
Speaker 2: And I feel that children always apply it a self defense, and it's really an imperfect self defense. It's like, yeah, Okay, you're scared, I get it, but you shouldn't be scared, right, I get it. He hurt your feelings, so you hit him, but you shouldn't have been hurt.
Speaker 1: So you're just saying kids in general, their excuses are always imperfect self defense. But they're eighteen and twenty one. Are they still considered kids at this point?
Speaker 2: I was just talking about our kids.
Speaker 1: You were just talking about our children. Now, Okay, So from now on, when Annabel argues with me, I'm going to be like, that's an imperfect self is.
Speaker 2: Going to mitigate your punishment. It's not going to alleviate you from any We're just.
Speaker 1: Raising little lawyers over here or defendants or that. So is Annabel a defendant or a future lawyer, She's a person of interest.
Speaker 2: Ally Day always a.
Speaker 1: Person of interest, all right. Another one is to support their self defense claims. Eric and Lyle tried to suborn perjury by asking Eric's friend Brian to testify that they borrowed one of his handguns the night before the murder to defend themselves against their parents. So there are there were several instances of them trying to get people to testify to their defense. Another one was, I believe Lyle asked a girl friend to testify that, you know, his dad had made sexual advances at her or raped her or something like that. They also testified the purpose of their one hundred and twenty mile drive to San Diego was not to buy shotguns, when in fact, that was the reason that they made the trip.
Speaker 2: These two kids, we'll just go off the you know, we'll just be in agreement that they killed their parents for their own safety, so I can make my argument. So if they're doing that, most people, if not all, don't like you kill your parents cold blooded? Right because you did it without being provoked. You did it, And now let me think, so do you do it? You kill your parents? They didn't attack you. You just walked in. They're on the couch. You shoot them they're dead, you feel better. You're not going to think, hey, I have a self defense because I was in fear of my safety. They're gonna worry, holy crap, we just killed our parents. We have to hide this. If someone advised them in the beginning, look this, you can have a defense where there's a time where you're you know, in fear of your safety and this and that, and so you kill them because it's your only way out and blah blah blah blah. Then they might have been truthful. But it's normal for people to think, holy crapit has killed someone. I better hide this, even if they did it for their safety. So if a female kills the boyfriend because he's a jerk and he keeps beating her, not all of them are like, well, had I had a good legal defense, They're going to think I just killed someone. I better cover this up, right.
Speaker 1: So you're saying a reasonable person is going to hide the fact that they murdered someone because that's just the natural instinct of what to do.
Speaker 2: But reasonable people don't even kill, so I arguably in a reasonable state of mind. I mean, I hate it when they say a reasonable person would have called the police No, I don't know. I'd probably be scared to death, and I would have attacked the person that was coming in my house or reacted in a way. It's like, no, one's like someone comes and points a gun at me, and then the law is telling me to act like a reasonably prudent person.
Speaker 1: What about the now we know with sexual abuse, we know that they lie about the abuse, and they lie to cover up the abuse. So is that a factor that should be taken into consideration considering that they might have lied about a litany of things, as Hawkman says, but maybe their first instinct is to lie about things because they're still trying to cover up the abuse that they enter.
Speaker 2: So you're saying, it's like, oh, I I didn't kill them. Oh it wasn't me, Oh it was my friend. Oh it was because he attacked me. Oh it was I thought he was going to kill me. Okay, you know what, he just made my life miserable growing up, and I hated it and I had no way out and I was fearful of him, so I killed him. Okay. Sorry. Then it's like, well, then why do you say all that in the first.
Speaker 1: Place, right, But my point is based upon what you just said, that sexual abuse victims lie initially to cover it up, like they're not forthcoming about sexual abuse. So I'm saying that.
Speaker 2: Oh, they cover up the abuse, right because maybe embarrassment they feel their right.
Speaker 1: Well, like we know that as a fact based upon psychological research, that sexual abuse victims lie about the abuse.
Speaker 2: It's just a tough call for in all scenarios.
Speaker 1: They also tried to get someone to lie and say that they were present when their mother tried to poison.
Speaker 2: Their family, but they had a legal defense or they didn't. They thought that that was a better thing than saying, oh, I was scared of my daddy. So they're probably trying to come up with scenarios to get out of this thing.
Speaker 1: But this is when they're testifying, I believe. Yeah, when they did shoot their parents, they staged it in a way to look like a mafia style hit. So they shot the dad in the back of the head, they shot the mother in the face, they shot him in the knee caps it was supposed to and then they said, oh it was mafia. He was my dad was evolved in you know, dirty business practices. So they use that as as a way to rewrap the police and the investigation get it. Eric and lyle lied when they testified that doctor Ozell, who remember, was the psychologist that Eric confessed to. They lied when they claimed that he blackmailed them into confessing on tape. Parents.
Speaker 2: That's the psychiatrist that talks in his sleep.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know, what do you mean, Well, he had a mistress that he would tell things to.
Speaker 2: It wasn't in his sleep. I don't think claimed that it was in his sleep.
Speaker 1: Oh, she might have originally because he.
Speaker 3: Was I would never go to that psychiatrist that he should have a warning on the door, Like a psychiatrist is known to talk in his sleep to mistresses.
Speaker 1: And he sleeps with other women besides his wife. Right, let me just give one thing. Lylman Does posted on Facebook after Hawkman did his after Hawkman did his press conference and basically said he wasn't he was withdrawing the DA's support of them being recent and so, Lyleman Does posted on his Facebook page that quote. Of all those lies Hawkman talked about, several of them were admitted stipulated to in the first trial, and several of the other lies were absolutely disproven or reasonably disputed. So he responds to Hawkman's accusation. Also, the jury was a hung jury in the first one, so you have to remember that.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, okay, you wanted to talk about the lies in the first draw. Why don't we talk about the fact that a handful of jury members found them not guilty? Right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Consider it? Consider everything.
Speaker 1: Oh, also, Mark Garrigos, who is there? Who is the menindaz brothers attorney. He responded to Hawkman, and he said, there were twenty two family members who signed on and told the DA's office stop retraumatizing us. We could tell at the meeting that Hawkman had no interest in that, and I think that means that he had no interest in, you know, the resentencing. This really kind of points out one of the fallacies, if you will, of the DA office here. They're not interested in victims. There isn't a single living victim who endorses this. In fact, every single victim wants them out. He continued, this, gentleman, this DA retraumatizes the family repeatedly. He's almost serially abusing them with his lies and his litany of lies. Family members who support the Brothers say the DA has quote blinders onto the fact that Eric and Lyle were repeatedly abused, feared for their lives, and had atoned to their actions. When asked about the sixteen lies the DA would like the brothers to admit to, Gargo said, quote, he's obviously show voting. He knows for a fact both brothers were cross examined for weeks in the first trial on all of these things. Every single one of these things that he mentioned was either abandoned or cross examined in the first trial. And guess what happened. Two juries not one, one for Eric and one for Lyle. Both juries voted against murder over the majority. Gargo said, Also, this is interesting. The family sent a letter to the US Attorney's office asking that Hawkman be removed from this case because they claim that he's hostile, dismissive, and patronizing towards them. These are victims, and apparently he's not very kind to them, according to this letter that they've written, and they've asked that he that it be looked into, or that he'd be even removed from the case. So yeah, okay, now I'm officially done with min indest.
Speaker 2: Time will tell. We shall see, We.
Speaker 1: Shall see what happens on March twentieth and twenty first, if they continue to go forward with that or if it gets continued. And if they do go forward with it, then we will continue to see what happens on June thirteenth when they go before the parole board, when they get this risk assessment done, and then we will see what Governor Gavin Newsom does. So we'll have to follow his podcast to find out.
Speaker 2: What's the name of this podcast.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have to have a creative name because he's the governor, so he can just call it his own name. Yeah, all right, let's get into this is interesting. Gene Hackman and his wife Betsy. We did a little last time we recorded. We did a little synopsis on what was known so far, which was little. At that time. We just knew that they were both found dead. Now there have been a lot of updates, so we want to do an update on this case and talk about it because I still find this case, even though there's there's answers now, I still feel like there's now more questions. So the new Mexico chief, let's.
Speaker 2: Be honest, Emily always thinks that they're bigger conspiracy. I have a bean. You would if they said we determine if the medical examiner determined that aliens came down and killed them, she would be satisfied.
Speaker 1: I would.
Speaker 2: But when it's like, oh, they have this rat disease and all the timers and he fell, then she doesn't believe it.
Speaker 1: I would believe it more if they said Bigfoot broke into their house and murdered them. I would believe that over what they claim. Actually, right, yes, I do believe on bigfoot though.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The new Mexico Chief Medical Examiner, Heather Durrell, held a highly anticipated news conference This was back on Friday, March seventh, to reveal the cause of death for Gene Hackman and his wife. They claim, after an autopsy, that Betsy died of hantavirus, which, by the way, have you ever heard of that before?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Really, yeah last week when I was reading about this case.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, but before last week. No.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like mice or road in droppings and deer droppings. Okay, right, But it can't be contracted from human to human. That's why there's not many cases of it. It can only be contracted from the feces alone or whatever she came.
Speaker 1: So apparently it's a rare flu like disease linked to rats. So she likely died on February eleventh, So she had to have come into contact with rat poop somehow.
Speaker 2: What if it's bigfoot droppings, it might be they should look into that and would you be happy?
Speaker 1: It would make more sense to me. Yes, she probably picked up hantavirus, which can only pass from animals to humans after she after she was exposed to rodent excrement. Somehow, the wife would have been feeling six three to six days before dying and then succombaing pretty quickly to the virus. The medical examiner has said coming succumbing, it's not succumbing. Okay, thank you mister.
Speaker 2: Help.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The medical examiner also said there were signs of rodent entry around the property, but they assess the risk of exposure and the primary residence as low. It's similar to other well maintained houses in New Mexico. I would say everybody's house probably has some rat poop in it somewhere.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No, no, well yeah there are there are No that's dog poop. No, I'm not, No in our backyard Togo catches big rats all the time into the yard. Yeah, but he catches it. They probably tunnel under the house, and they're probably in the ok.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So anyway, they were a little bit more remote and less developed areas. Right, They're kind of in the hillside or something like that. So I bet you she never saw any treatment or went to an urgent care doctor or anything.
Speaker 1: Hackman also had late stage Alzheimer's disease, and he likely died roughly a week after his wife from cardiovascular disease and from the Alzheimer's and he tested negative for hantavirus. But cardiovascular disease isn't a heart attack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is it then? Is it just a weakness in the heart or something?
Speaker 1: I guess so, But you know what, this is what I can't picture. So the wife dies nearly a week before him, and she dies in the bathroom, And I guess that would explain why the dog is in the crate and the bathroom.
Speaker 2: The dog was in a crate because I thought they had the dog had a procedure, so they were protecting the dog or securing it.
Speaker 1: They were probably keeping the dog away from the other two dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh yeah, there you go right, So then.
Speaker 1: That makes sense why the dog died, because the dog probably died.
Speaker 2: Of starvation and unfortunately, right, So.
Speaker 1: Gene Hackman dies nearly a week after her. But he's ninety five and he has Alzheimer's, so he's just I just pictured this man. Is he just wandering around the house?
Speaker 2: Ye, sleeping maybe a lot. Maybe he has a route, I don't know how it works. Maybe he has a routine, so he was kind of just going through whatever his daily routine was.
Speaker 1: Did he not notice I'm guessing why from the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Well maybe he did, But what's he going to do? He can't lift her up, and if he's not capable of making phone calls or well, I don't know, I'm just speculating.
Speaker 1: Well that's another interesting thing. Was apparently he had no cell phone because she remember I called her the gatekeeper on an earlier episode that we did, because I apparently if you wanted to speak to him or get a hold of him, you had to call her cell phone. So I don't know, I don't know. I just picture this old It's sad. I think this old man wandering around this house.
Speaker 2: Right, it's not the way he goes, but his.
Speaker 1: Wife is dead. He has daughters, but I don't know it said something like, I think I read they were kind of a strange hadn't spoken to him a month. It ends up being a maintenance worker or something that ends up seeing them or coming to the house.
Speaker 2: I think that's the end of that case. I know you want more, well, I don't know.
Speaker 1: We'll see, let's keep going. He was in a very poor state of health, the medical examine said. He was in an advanced state of Alzheimer's disease, and it was quite possible that he did not know that she had been deceased. The medical examiner noted noted also that Hackman was not dehydrated at the time of his death, which was likely on February eighteenth.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, that means he was caring for himself.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, And February eighteenth was the day after his last recorded pacemaker activity. That's how they kind of put a timeline on what he did.
Speaker 2: He may not have had a very good concept of time. So if she fell and she's laying there, I don't know if she was ever conscious. Let's say she fell and she that was it, she was out, then maybe he would go and check on her and then think she was just dabbing or her and then and then he didn't have a concept of time that had been so long a week or whatever it was, you know what I mean, Like maybe to him it was just a flash of time.
Speaker 1: Well, it does say that the medical examiner said that he did not have any food in his stomach when when the performed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's too bad, all right.
Speaker 1: Let's talk a little bit about hantavirus. People get hand virus from contact with rodents like rats and mice, especially when exposed to their urine droppings and saliva. It can also spread through a bier scratched by a rodent, but this is very rare. Only eight hundred and sixty five cases of the disease have been reported in the US between nineteen ninety three and twenty twenty two, and apparently now there's one in twenty five.
Speaker 2: And I bet if I bet you that she wasn't quick to go get medical care because one she'd have to take him. Yeah, that's probably a lot. And she probably thought she'd just walk it off because she just what flew like symptoms, right, and she didn't want to go out in public, maybe with him but that's that's the reason someone like him, who has the financial means needs to have in home care, should have had in home care. It's too bad. It's too bad.
Speaker 1: Well it really is.
Speaker 2: I mean, granted, he was ninety five, but she could have She had a lot of life left to live.
Speaker 1: She did, and it makes me sad to think that if someone had been checking in on them, or someone was living with us, or they had an assistant or a caretaker or someone, that all they had to do was take her to the hospital, and I assumed she could have recovered from it pretty treatment, pretty easily. So the pills found near Betsy's body were thyroid medication that had been prescribed to her and were not related to her death. This is what the medical examiner said. All right, The investigation will remain open as authorities still need to tie up loose ends. The Santa Fe County Sheriff Aiden Mendoza said this includes obtaining more data from Hackman and Betsy's cell phones that could shed light on their locations or other communications they had before they died. I mean, this says cell phone, So does that mean that he does have a cell phone? I don't know, or if he does. Maybe he doesn't know how to really use it. Maybe he loses it, maybe he doesn't know where to find it. Maybe that's why she's the one that you always have to communicate with. I don't know. So investigators are also awaiting, and then a cropsy results from the couple's dog, Zenna, who was the dog that was found dead in the crate and the bathroom near Betsy's body. The couple's dog we talked about had undergone a medical procedure on February ninth, which may explain why the dog was in the crate, which we said the dog was probably there in the house. The other two dogs were found alive and had been able to go in and out through and open. I guess there was a doggy door, so those dogs.
Speaker 2: So they were all three would have been okay, it was really just because the dog was in the crazy Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the dog probably starved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: So Gene Hackman has friends that are speaking out, and some of their friends are saying that Hackman had tried to stay active before his death decline. Friends of the Oscar winning actor spoke to Fox News about how he was focused on his health and was bothered by aging before he died at ninety five. Stephen Marshall, an FBI agent who trained the couple through a community outreach program, told Fox News that Hackman was concerned about the fact that he was getting older. He didn't like being old, and seeing himself on film bothered him because he knew he didn't look like that anymore. That does have to be sad. I was thinking about that myself when I was watching I remember we talked about before. I was watching The Poseidon Adventure with Luke. He looked so young and vib he was looking guy.
Speaker 2: He's tall, he's got a great like voice, like, he comes off very strong.
Speaker 1: And then when I saw the picture of him at ninety five, that didn't even look like I couldn't you. I wouldn't have even known that was Gene Hackman.
Speaker 2: No, No, no one would no.
Speaker 1: So it has to be sad. Like that's sad.
Speaker 2: That's what happens.
Speaker 1: I know. I don't want to age. I don't know how we figured it out. I don't know how we.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to make a deal with the devil or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but it has to be hard when you're an actor like him. That has been in so many movies.
Speaker 2: He retired in six I know, but I'm just.
Speaker 1: Saying, when your image has been memorialized for everyone to look at, and you look so healthy and tan and vibrant and straight.
Speaker 2: Talking about yourself in thirty years from now.
Speaker 1: I am, I'm like, man, I have been memorialized into this show.
Speaker 2: He's a good thing.
Speaker 1: No, because I'm going to be like I'm going to be like Gene Hackman ninety five years old.
Speaker 2: You don't want me to playing in thirty years night. You don't want me playing episodes of houses?
Speaker 1: No, please don't. It's going to be very depressing for me. So apparently his friends were saying that he always tried to stay active and that he did plates like three times a week, and he would ride his bike, load up his bicycle in his suv and drive to Albuquerque and ride on trails. But I don't know. I don't know exactly the timeline because I feel like his health has declined recently.
Speaker 2: So I sure Snowballs could have been exponential. Yeah, so maybe like these friends six months ago knew of his activity, but in the last six months he declined, they weren' updated, right, So I was making that up right.
Speaker 1: While speaking to The New York Times, Tom Allen, who had been friends with Hackman for around twenty years, insisted the star seemed happy to have his wife run things and take care of him. She was very protective of him, this friend told the Alet, adding that Hackman had said he probably would have tied long ago without the care of his beloved wife, who looked after him and made sure he had a healthy diet. Alan also said that Betsy would serve as something of a gatekeeper for her husband and would often set up golf games or meetings for the two friends. I don't know, See, I always wonder about that. Is she really all that one concerned about his health and his well being and that's why she controls everything? Or is she just controlling because she likes to control him and not And she only allows him to go golfing with his friends when she sets it up. She only allows him to talk to his kids when she lets him talk to his kids.
Speaker 2: The world will never know.
Speaker 1: The world will never know. But I, you know, I don't know about Betsy. So who will inherit gene Hackman's multi million dollar fortune?
Speaker 2: Well, if he has a will that's what that will dictate. Otherwise, it'll probably go to his children.
Speaker 1: Geane and Betsy had no children together, so betsy'says state will likely go to her relatives. However, Jane was a father from his marriage to Faye Maltice and leaves behind Christopher who is sixty five, Elizabeth who is sixty three, and Leslie who is fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Do they have a pre nup?
Speaker 1: Okay? I would bet there's no prenup because Betsy does not seem like the type of woman that would have a prenup. She's running the show. You think Betsy signed a prenup? Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: She's like, I'm thirty years younger, babe, Yeah, if you want me, There's no prenup. No.
Speaker 1: The details of who will inherit Jean's estate have not been shared publicly, but according to the Wealth Advisor, it will likely go to his children. But here's the thing I thought was interesting, and this is just me being a conspiracy theorist again, is that his children would not have inherited his estate unless Betsy died too.
Speaker 2: Well, as couples die at the same time and they both have their own offspring right or their own wills. What do you do, because usually wills will say, if I die, everything to my wife. If I die, everything to my husband. So what happens when they both died at the same time, like a plane crash, Well.
Speaker 1: Revert, don't talk about plane crashes. It reverts to children.
Speaker 2: Okay, like a suicide bomber? Is that better? Yes? Thank you? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just think it's interesting. Well, if Jean died, just Jane and not Betsy, then the estate would have gone to Betsy unless he had a will overriding that it went to Betsy, right, unless he left everything to his children. But there's no way that would happen. Betsy would not let that happen. But come in.
Speaker 2: Betsy's going to come in and say, no, Jeene Hackman died first, and everything should go to his wife. Assuming there's no other overwriting documents. Everything should go to his wife. And then therefore they should come to me, the son of Betsy.
Speaker 1: Betsy has no children.
Speaker 2: Oh, she doesn't have any children. Well should I be paying attention?
Speaker 1: Yes, you should be.
Speaker 2: Betsy has no children, yeah, but she has then you go up right to the parents or whoever.
Speaker 1: The estate would have gone to Betsy. But Betsy died too, So now the estate's going to go to his children, most likely, unless there's some will out there that he has written that we don't know about that somebody finds anyway. Supposedly, Gene Hackman has one of the biggest royalty streams of Hollywood. I was about to say, I don't think he was worth that much, causing people to speculate that perhaps it was a murder and cover up.
Speaker 2: Like Emily. This is Emily's notes.
Speaker 1: These are mine down.
Speaker 2: Here, Bigot, one of the royalties.
Speaker 1: It was the Aliens. How likely is it that both he and his wife died of natural causes? It is not likely. I'm sorry, there's more to the story. Jean's property was located just fifty miles away from Zoro Ranch, which is one of Epstein's residences. There is no evidence that he was linked to Jeffrey Epstein in anyway, so this could just be a coincidence. However, listen to this. Are you ready? This is Bill Gates. Private jets stopped in New Mexico the same day they found Ackman's body.
Speaker 2: I'm sure lots of jets landed on that same day.
Speaker 1: Not in New Mexico. Really, not the same day that they found Gene Hackman's body.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you didn't.
Speaker 1: This is this is the conspiracy theorist stuff that I always find that I like. Was Hakman going to spill all of Hollywood secrets at his old age to receive some sort of repentance?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: We shall see, stay tuned. I like the conspiracy theory, so we.
Speaker 2: Shall not see he's dead.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying, maybe they find a will. There could be more information that comes out, or people could come forward and say that they were involved in this murder plot, alleged murder plot. Bruce Willis's wife urges support for caregivers amid Gene Hackman's death. That was a USA Today article. So basically, this is Bruce Willis's wife, and you know he has dementia, So she's saying all of the burden of taking care of Gene Hackman shouldn't have been put on Betsy, even though I still think Betsy wanted to be the only caretaker. But that's just my theory. But basically saying or advocating that Betsy needed someone looking in on them, that there should have been someone that came daily, that there should have been someone that lived with them, that you know. And I don't know about the children. I don't know. I don't know that relationship. I don't know if they were strange. I don't know if it was normal for them to only talk to their dad or something.
Speaker 2: Their sixties. I mean they do have a different I mean their kids are checking on them, right, I don't know.
Speaker 1: All right, anyway, so the world will never no. I want the world should know. I want the world should know.
Speaker 2: The world would never know.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, anyway, we're apparently Shane and I are watching Crimson Tide tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: So we'll give you a movie review on the next podcast, so it will be legal topics and movie reviews. Thank you everyone for listening to Legally Brunette. We appreciate it as always, and if there are any cases out there that you would like for us to discuss and talk about, please feel free to dm us and let us know. Also, next podcast, we plan on going through the Ruby Frankie case, which Shane is reluctant to talk about.
Speaker 2: It hurts me. Is it Netflix or Hulu?
Speaker 1: I believe it's on Hulu, So if you haven't watched it. You can watch it. The reason that I think it's interesting that Shane and I discuss it, even though he does not like to talk about anything that has to do with child abuse, is that there's other elements. There is the Mormon religion, there is parenting, and there is YouTube, there's the vlogging issue, and then there's also the legality of the child abuse and all of that. So I think there's a lot of really interesting topics that he and I can discuss. So anyway, thank you again for listening. Please tune in to our previous Legally Brunette episodes and our future ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of them. Just listen to all of it. Yess