Speaker 1: Smell us.
Speaker 2: Now, lady, welcome to Meat Eater Trivia Podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome to me Eater Radio. Not live for you all. It's eleven am Mountain Time on October tenth. For USh Jokers, it's a day before and we're at Cypress Cove Marina in Venice, Louisiana. Now, I just took the hosting spot from Steve because he's claiming he's too tired to do two podcasts in one day.
Speaker 4: No, it's because I had it.
Speaker 1: Oh man, you beat me too, because I was gonna say, we're gonna see.
Speaker 3: How long it's gonna taken till I get interrupted as I'm trying to host.
Speaker 4: By saying the wrong thing is a sure way it's gonna happen. Okay, I ate a black and shrimp po boy, and it's kind of knocked me out. Did I not just say that? No, he got tired from his lunch.
Speaker 3: Today, I'm joined by Steve Arino, Antonio Marco, and Chester Reno. On today's show, We've got live Chettickut with Chester the non Digester.
Speaker 1: We'll get to that. That's his new nickname because he almost died choking last night. Well, we got to it.
Speaker 3: We'll hit our top three fish meals or maybe just one that we had this week. Hot tips, one minute fishing, which turns out to be like ten or fifteen minutes of fishing, bad fishing, Tattoos, a rut report from Mark Kenyon coming to you in early October.
Speaker 1: Well, everybody can kind of guess how that's gonna go.
Speaker 3: And indefensible laws, and all three of these guys have an indefensible law they're gonna pitch to us today. So start right off the top with Chettickut. What are you also gonna come on in? But are you gonna tell us also how you got the new nickname before we go to Chetticut.
Speaker 5: Okay, while you put that headset on Chester, I'm gonna pay play the The c T t Q you e t t E fnd out bud means to me, C g t i Q you E t t E take care of a g T.
Speaker 1: That's a good one, Phil, Thank you?
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm down here in Louisiana. I'm gonna give you a chetta kit that I always do. I'm not sitting at my campfire in Wisconsin, but I'll talk about uh choking a little bit.
Speaker 6: We had some prime Rib.
Speaker 7: You guys were there as you know, and I got asked a question and I was like, I don't know, just trying to answer the question. So I took about too quick choose that prime rib swallowed it and I sat there and I kind of knew it was in my throat, but I've never choked before, so I started going just swallowing.
Speaker 6: These big deep swallows, and it was still there.
Speaker 7: And then I went, oh, and then all of a sudden, I'm sitting at the table with all these wonderful guests that we have down here for this Experience's trip, and.
Speaker 6: A bunch of shit comes up my nose, oh.
Speaker 7: Like like fluid, because I was I think I had some like you know, just like I don't know, it was like snot basically, no, that would have, not that horse radish that would have anyways. So basically I was like like my body was like get that thing out. So it was doing its best, and uh when I kind of went to take a breath, it was like, you know, like then it was like felt like it was locked in. So I was embarrassed, Like you know, everyone's like looking kind of like doing one of these almost they were because they didn't really know me, and.
Speaker 4: I'm I wouldn't if I was there, I would not have done.
Speaker 7: And I well, I think they were just trying to be polite. They didn't know what was happening. They thought it was maybe coughing or do you know, And I like, you know, probably sprayed them a little bit with the snot. And so I get up and I walk outside.
Speaker 4: In the dark. All this time, you're still choking.
Speaker 6: Mm hmmm. So I go out there.
Speaker 4: What's the what's the time spam?
Speaker 8: We're talking here ten seconds of choking, five seconds of choking.
Speaker 7: It's like fifteen seconds maybe something like that quick.
Speaker 6: So it all happened real quick.
Speaker 7: Then I head out there and I'm sitting by the garbage and I'm like, I just like tried to give it everything I had, like you know, to get it up, like trying to go hopper down up hawk the biggest thing, and my body kind of just naturally when I did that, you know, kicked it out, kicked it out with some.
Speaker 4: Vomit, and like that's kind of scary.
Speaker 7: And then a couple of people saw me and came out there, and Steeve made a comment that's like one of the ways people people go when.
Speaker 4: I'll share my own testimonial, I was standing outside a restaurant one night talking to my friend who smoked cigarettes. So we had to stand outside and doorbus open and out spills a man and he makes the universal choking gesture to us, and he had and so I later been telling the story, was told by people that it's common for choking people to do counterintuitive moves like that. So he bursts outside and I heim licked him out in the parking lot, and uh, I hit him good. And we looked for that chunk of steak, couldn't find it. Now.
Speaker 3: Prior to that, I know it sounds weird, but prior to that experience, you probably would be interested in to see what size of steak it would.
Speaker 9: Y.
Speaker 1: Yeah, choke.
Speaker 4: Prior to that experience, I had occasion a number of times to hang out with doctor Heimlick's granddaughter. What I didn't bring up with her is that heim Lick, uh when got a little off the deep end and started to think that the Heimlich maneuver fixed all kinds of things. He started to think it was like a panacea. Hmm.
Speaker 3: Interesting, So if you're choking, don't run outside there's nobody.
Speaker 1: Stay inside show everybody.
Speaker 3: You're choking, have someone help you out right inside Chester.
Speaker 7: Okay, Yeah, So this week's Chetta Kit comes at us from Tyler and Tyler writes, A week ago, my brother, a friend, and I set out for a week long backcountry mule deer hunt in Washington. We reached the trailhead three nights before the season opener, slept on cots, and then packed in the next morning. We hiked about ten miles, gained several thousand feet of elevation with with eight days of food and gear in our backs, and then we set up camp in the same spot that they had set up last year off of a spur trail. Pretty detailed, I thought, I shortened that down.
Speaker 4: A little bit, like it's really put me in the in the mood.
Speaker 7: The day before the season, while at camp and outfitter with two guides and four clients arrived on horseback. We overheard them cursing at us about being in quotes their spot. I assume they moved on, but they lingered for thirty minutes to an hour until two more pack strings arrived, each with a horse leading five mules. They set up a large wall tent just twenty yards from us. This area is dispersed camping and not designated campground. Not only did the outfitter disrupt our spot, but it also violated the twelve heartbeat wilderness rule, trying to bypass it by splitting up into three groups of twelve, six.
Speaker 6: Humans and six animals. Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 7: So this guy's asking am I wrong for feeling upset? And is it poor etiquette by the outfitter? Or am I overreacting? So I think that he's not wrong for feeling upset. If I were in a camp spot up there and an outfitter rolled in, and that'd be a bummer. You know, they were in there the year before. But I mean the outfitter obviously is breaking a rule. You know, sounds like he's got too many people.
Speaker 4: He's trying to be cut acting like there's yeah, there are multiple groups.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So I mean this guy is not wrong for feeling upset.
Speaker 7: I mean my question to him would be like did you did you talk to the guy or did you just end up camping next to each other for a week.
Speaker 6: Lot and being pissed off?
Speaker 7: But I think these outfitters, you know, who knows if they cleared out this spot. A lot of outfitters kind of do that year after year, but it sounds like they weren't in there the year before. But yeah, I would just go talk to the dude. If it were me, I wouldn't want to be set up next to that many people, so I would probably rel okay it a little bit.
Speaker 6: But we're not wrong.
Speaker 4: Went to talk to him, how would you kicked it off? I'd be like, hell of a nice uh.
Speaker 7: Like I would have talked to him right away before they started setting up, yea, And I would have said, you know, we're here, Is there anywhere else you guys can camp?
Speaker 6: And then go from there?
Speaker 3: H Well, look, when you're eight miles back in the wilderness, there's plenty of room for six people to hunt, you know, six different directions, so you should try to If you're stuck in what's kind of a shitty situation, you might as well work with him and try to make the best of it, which would be at least be like, Okay, which direction you guys hunting? What do you guys normally do?
Speaker 1: And at least try to make a plan on the map where you weren't going to hunt on top of each other.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I don't know. I think I think that you know, in this situation, you're not wrong for feeling upset. Go talk to the fella in make a plan.
Speaker 1: Thanks Chester.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, I'm gonna head out now and take a nap.
Speaker 3: Chester also had a big sandwich, but that's not why he needs to take a nap right now. He was entertaining the experiences.
Speaker 4: Clients has been doing the night shift.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right, a little bit of music involved. All right, we're on the top threes. Well it's gonna be top threes today. We're gonna do top three fish meals. But I think we should just do top fish meal that we've had this week during me eater experiences.
Speaker 1: Who wants to go first?
Speaker 8: I'm voting for last night because I loved the fried fish. I love the redfish nuggets as the appetizer. I really liked that lobster like blackened lobster pasta. And then this isn't the fish part, but the peach cobbler with ice cream is some of the best I've ever had.
Speaker 3: Great, And and you missed the crawfish at you fe that we put on top of the catfish Oh that was last night, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: I think that was my favorite.
Speaker 4: I love et Fae, my favorite that we had last night. And if I was a real if, I know, you know, I quit drinking. If I had quit drinking like how a lot of people do, which is like a difficult process for them, I would have relapsed. I would have had a relapse because of the oyster shooters. I didn't realize that that oyster was floating in a bloody mary. I just thought it was floating in some kind of red sauce. So I drank a couple and there was like a nice burn to it, and then I realized that it was a raw oyster floating in a stiffy floating in a little bloody mary. That was good before you changed it, and it was gonna be best fish of all time. I was going to say, those those grilled river fish down in South America when they put him on that rack and smoke.
Speaker 1: Them, was that seasoning that they like to use down there? Remember that they all carried around a little vial.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's right. It was was from a pepper that grew in their gardens, That's right. And then when for this is just so, folks, No, it started out I was gonna be able to pick three fish things, and then I was going to quit at two and I got reduced to none. So those were your two were the oyster shooters, and then the one was when you changed that. The one was what I was going to use. And I'm not even going to get into the other favorite fish meal of mine.
Speaker 1: Go on, Okay, Tony favorite fish meal this week?
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah he can't. No, I know, but we've had shrimp ten different ways.
Speaker 10: Well are you You just asked me about my favorite fish meal.
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Sorry, Tony is allergic to fish, so he does not have a favorite fish meal. But I think that we could say favorite seafood meal that we've had this week.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 10: That that lobster pasta we had last thing was like, I'm not like a huge pasta guy. I'm not like a huge lobster guy, but I was like, that was really freaking good. So that was kind of on a left field. That wasn't like a typical thing that you would have.
Speaker 3: You ever hear that saying like I could hurt myself or I hurt myself, like in context of eating too much.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we've heard it about five thousand times this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, down here, it's very common. I feel like that with every meal we've had here. If like you weren't paying attention, especially with like a lobster pasta, you can just keep going back for seconds and thirds and the next thing you know you need help.
Speaker 4: Get it back to you. Can we can we revisit something that we talked about before the show, doctor Rinella Tony, can you say real quick what you think is true?
Speaker 10: So I don't know if this is true, but I was told this by a travel nurse when I went to Africa, and she asked me what allergies do you have? And I jokingly said, I'm allergic to fish. She said, I bet you can eat salmon and trout. And I said, why would that be And she said because a lot of times it's a heightened sensitivity to mercury build up in the fat deposits of fish, and they live in cold, clear water, and so sometimes people who are believe they're allergic to all fish can eat those fish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's she's right, but she's totally wrong about why. Has nothing to do with the clarity, Like mercury has nothing to do with the temperature of the water has nothing to do with the clarity of the water. It has to do with the longevity and diet of the fish. What you have is is there's certain fish proteins, and those fish proteins, for whatever reason, you're not allergic to the ones that are in cell monods. Okay, doctored, I'm not a die. I mean, I'm just a guy.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 4: Well, it's just that when I heard that mercury thing, it kind of rat shook me up a little angry.
Speaker 10: I get it. Well, a medical professional told me that. Also, I don't drink anymore. But when she told me that, I did drink. And so I went and caught too trout, and then I drank a bunch of whiskey because I didn't have the stones to try it because it's a horrible reaction. And then I tried a little bit of trout and I could eat it, and it was like the world opened up for me. And now I take great pleasure in my little girls. And I go catch brook trout and we were meat fishing. We bunk them with a rock right on the stream side like you used to when you're little. Yeah, yeah, I love it. And I think about you every time I do it.
Speaker 4: Mark, I'm okay with that.
Speaker 10: These beautiful native brookies, there's plenty of them over there.
Speaker 1: Are they natives there where we're fishing north? Yeah? Now we're on the hot tip offs.
Speaker 11: Hot tip off time.
Speaker 4: We've got some hot tips to get to today.
Speaker 5: And these ones speak our courtesy of Daniel Pruett and Brody Henderson, they're going head to head.
Speaker 4: Let's roll the clips.
Speaker 12: Welcome to another hot tip off.
Speaker 13: When you're on an extended bat country hunt and you're facing down seven or ten days of eating nothing but freeze dry, yourself favor and bring some salami, or you could use summer sausage too.
Speaker 12: It keeps forever. You don't gotta worry about it going bad.
Speaker 13: And you can mix up that freeze dry by making some fried salami sandwiches, which are excellent.
Speaker 6: Steve.
Speaker 12: Steve may like him more even than his own American buffalo.
Speaker 4: Fo Yeah, I like it a lot. It's linger ficking good. And not only that, the reason they call it summer sausage is it's for the summer. It doesn't go bad.
Speaker 13: So bring bring self, do self favor, bring a little frying pan, throw some butter in there and keep keep the grease that you've been using.
Speaker 12: Heat that sucker up.
Speaker 13: Slice two or three of these, get yourself a bagel, block of cheese, some mustard, Throw that thing in there.
Speaker 4: I perch your ass right back off when you get yeah.
Speaker 12: Those and we've been eating these things for days. We're almost out.
Speaker 13: I brought three of these tubes of salami, and that's all that's left.
Speaker 12: So we're going to have a couple more right now. Try it out.
Speaker 9: I'm Danielle Pritt, and I've got a hot tip for you for working with shanks. So say you want to make something like also buko, but you don't have a saw to cut through the bone, or maybe you're short on time and you really need to speed up the cooking process, but these shanks take forever to break down. What you can do is you can actually just take a knife, cut it into cross sections through the muscle but not the bone, and keep it attached to the bone, and then you'll cook it just as you normally would in a recipe. So you'll brown the meat. So I'll take some vegetables stock and then throw it all in the pot to slow cook. And because it's cut up into these pieces. It's gonna cook a lot faster as opposed to just one big chunk of meat, and you'll know it's ready whenever it falls off the bone.
Speaker 3: Okay, what do do you guys? Want to rate each one or just go ahead and say who's the better.
Speaker 4: Danielle's is better, but Brody's is better. I can explain, please, hers is better. It's a better tip I never thought of.
Speaker 1: That reaches a wider audience.
Speaker 4: It's a good tip. But those fried salami sandwiches are so good in the right circumstance, meaning you've been out hunting for a long time, not eating your normal food and you get that and you're so thankful. So it's his is better, but it's not like better better, Danielle's is better.
Speaker 3: That was gonna be my one comment on Brody's. I was gonna say, don't try this at home, because that sandwich at home is not going to impress.
Speaker 4: Anybody, you know, anything like fried and grease. He is so good. Yeah, when you're like camping after a while, right, you know, you get like four or five days in, you're like, oh, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, you have to be kind of tired, kind of wet, been sleeping on the ground for three four days and then someone's like.
Speaker 4: Hey, eating, let's fry up some sausage. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then with the leftover grease, we'll cook something else.
Speaker 1: Awesome. I'm gonna give it to Danielle. You guys, I'm giving it to Danielle too.
Speaker 4: Same here. That's a good tip, yeah, because I would normally do what she's talking about. Then I'd have my kid go out and get the hacksaw or the skill or the saws all, and I would saws all in the sink.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have some whole shanks right now in my freezer. When I get home, I might do that.
Speaker 4: It's great to because if you don't cut it and you just cook the whole thing, it's a different product, right, different product.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, big time. What do you guys say, Corinn nothing?
Speaker 4: And Brodie Yes, Brodie's getting his ass kick.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Danielle, she's got a new cookbook out, The Wild and Whole Cookbook, Seasonable Seasonal Recipes for the Conscious cook. Have any of you made a recipe out of it yet?
Speaker 8: I haven't cooked it, but I've looked through it and noted some Oh it's really good.
Speaker 1: Looks great, Yeah, it is a beautiful book.
Speaker 4: They did a good job.
Speaker 3: Check it out wherever cookbooks are sold. All right, one minute fishing, says Yanni. Throw to Steve. You must be introing our one minute fishing.
Speaker 4: How do I do that?
Speaker 1: You have to talk about yourself in a past tense?
Speaker 4: I believe, Oh, where should I look? Phil, look at that camera right there? Join us for one minute fishing outside. Over to you, Steve, Hey, what's going on? Podcast listeners?
Speaker 5: This is filled the engineer coming to you with a little note from my hotel room here at Cypress Cove in Venice, Louisiana. This next bit that we filmed in lieu of one minute fishing, this little competition that's coming up, was filmed outside.
Speaker 4: It was very, very windy.
Speaker 5: The audio is still there. I cleaned it up the best I could. It's a little rough, though, so you can hop on over to the YouTube versions of that. Way you're actually watching what's happening. The audio is not as distracting. But if you're listening to the audio only version, feel free.
Speaker 4: To sit through it. You can skip ahead about.
Speaker 5: Six minutes if you just want to get to the winner and get on with the rest of the show anyway.
Speaker 4: I just thought i'd let you know. Back to the show.
Speaker 14: Okay, we're here at Cypress Cove Marina, literally in the marina, sorry, and we're gonna have our one minute fish off, and we're doing a little bit different because we're gonna do it where it's an elimination round.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna fish against Yanni game.
Speaker 11: We're fishing in the marina.
Speaker 4: There's a mixed bag, Tony. How many speaces of fish have you encountered in the marina?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 10: Five lasts or probably five.
Speaker 4: Five species of fish.
Speaker 15: First fish goes to the second round.
Speaker 4: Mark will be losing that round because he's got his fly pole and we're in a marina.
Speaker 1: He might tip his fly with a little.
Speaker 15: I just want to let us we're in a we're in a marina, and it's not like you're coveted game fish here as much as it's just kind of grab bag how you load up.
Speaker 1: I'm not showing you my rage. It's pretty much the same.
Speaker 4: Thing though, and my real broken want everyone.
Speaker 16: Know three two one.
Speaker 4: Johnny's going straight down, Steve spurt Jack, Steve's gonna bounce along the bottom.
Speaker 17: Johnny might have had a yata.
Speaker 2: Got youre ad thirty seconds, still got bad.
Speaker 18: Jannie Cassidy's just walking out of the dock at some movement where Steve is just casting. Really hope Steve, Steve lost bab.
Speaker 17: I'm getting gonna keep hand on the handle.
Speaker 11: Actually surpassed a minute.
Speaker 4: We're going now into two minute fishing, going into overtime. Well, Steve has a nother cast.
Speaker 18: Now Johnny's trying to get the shade.
Speaker 11: Yes, get it. We're in a minute thirty's your favor.
Speaker 9: You guys are almost set in two minutes fail.
Speaker 8: We're about the history for the chustions.
Speaker 19: Oh, I think you may need to call it. I'm from the.
Speaker 11: Second we got.
Speaker 19: What kind looks like a hardhead.
Speaker 11: I'm just about to pull it out.
Speaker 4: Of course, we all knew it.
Speaker 19: If it is a hard head, it's a hard it is.
Speaker 11: Can you talk about why you might want to avoid that?
Speaker 15: So these things have spines on their feets that hurt like hell hurt.
Speaker 1: And they have a venom in it's I don't think it's fair to.
Speaker 4: Call him a venom something. Have you had one going into your finger, dude?
Speaker 14: I haven't.
Speaker 4: When I was a little kid, I threw one back in the on vacation in Florida. I flew through one in it came up, I stepped on and it pretty much ruined my little kiddy vacation. Yeah, all right, Steve's going on to the finals.
Speaker 17: Going onto the vinyls.
Speaker 4: Let me freshen off one good jazz.
Speaker 15: You have been, Tony Mark looking very contemporary.
Speaker 11: Are we ready to go yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: We're rolling.
Speaker 20: I know I feel a little undergun of that, Like Tony's looking like a big.
Speaker 11: Bay.
Speaker 4: Lad to get it on.
Speaker 11: Tony's little there. He's a very days for three days straight.
Speaker 2: About are we out in time?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 11: Thirty seconds?
Speaker 3: Mark mark Son has got a missed a little bit, Tony.
Speaker 11: Casting.
Speaker 18: Tony is now fluting knocks Mikey would in Minnesota for the great largemouth basket.
Speaker 4: A fly shot.
Speaker 19: I haven't seen that anyway.
Speaker 9: Right, we have surpassed one minute in eleven seconds.
Speaker 18: Marcus thrown off his game because the water is significantly warmer than what he's used to.
Speaker 19: H This is not trout fishing.
Speaker 16: We have turned this into two minute fishing.
Speaker 4: He's got to keep going to someone.
Speaker 19: Yeah, started have to have a fine.
Speaker 4: We just started.
Speaker 10: We protected craft.
Speaker 4: That happened. We just go. Okay, I'm excited to cast for the first time, and I ran I was thinking about that, but I might just edit it down for sure. This is the perks of a pre record.
Speaker 19: Fast forward the video.
Speaker 17: Yeah, all right, two and.
Speaker 19: A half minutes.
Speaker 10: Everybody with that crap counter?
Speaker 18: Yeah, yeah, I think a crap would count.
Speaker 15: Oh oh oh yeah, oh beautiful?
Speaker 19: Oh yes, God, do not want to let it go? Sight fishing?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Usually the flag guys are into sight fishing.
Speaker 5: All right, we're moving on to Steven Tony.
Speaker 16: Three two one cast, all right, let it stend. He's leaning in second.
Speaker 21: Yeah, that makes Tony Peterson our winner of multi minute fishing.
Speaker 4: Way to go, Tony.
Speaker 10: Is there ever, like really any serious belt here? I mean, are we be kidding me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tony Site fished a crab while he was battling Mark in the first round, and that crab.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say it saved your but it really didn't. You had all the time in the world because.
Speaker 3: Mark was still was still full casting, trying to decide exactly where to lay down his shrimp, and you already had that crab.
Speaker 4: On, right.
Speaker 8: I like a challenge, right, I'm not convinced the crab should count still.
Speaker 1: But what were we gonna do?
Speaker 10: Hold on, hold on, you cast and Karin could vouch for this too. But that crab was perfect execution on my part. I spotted him. I had to flip right in front of him. I had to keep that shrimp at a perfect level that he could swim over there.
Speaker 4: He grabbed it.
Speaker 10: Then I slowly reeled him in and then very gently brought him up.
Speaker 4: I didn't bring this up at the time, so I don't want to seem like sore loser. But uh, it's not fish right.
Speaker 8: That's again, that's that one minute crabbing. It's one minute fish right.
Speaker 10: I'm just saying the skill level it took to do that was way beyond any fish you're going to catch.
Speaker 4: Next time I have a fishing contest, I'm gonna clarify I'm and be like finfish Listen.
Speaker 3: All I know is that little crab got onto the dock. The crowd there went nuts, okay, and they declared to wear so.
Speaker 17: Well.
Speaker 10: And what happened in the second round.
Speaker 3: I believe you and Ranella were fishing, and you know you both had to make a couple of casts.
Speaker 10: No, no, no, no, not on the second one.
Speaker 1: Oh no, first cast. Oh that's right.
Speaker 3: You were like six seconds in and you had a captain. You got anything to say to defend yourself. Maybe you're on the wrong side of the dock.
Speaker 4: No, I think I I think that he got into the finals catches and I just feel like I just have I didn't feel like arguing it out. So it's like I never looked at it like an actual win on his part, you know. I thought it was like, you know, you can't win them all when you play fair.
Speaker 1: The only thing I noticed was your very aggressive stance when you made your cast. You were prepared to battle, to do battle. I was ready for hooks. Yeah, yeah, all.
Speaker 4: Right, now we're on to uh tattoos.
Speaker 1: I regret.
Speaker 12: I've made a huge mistake.
Speaker 4: That's all you got.
Speaker 5: Well that was before I started doing the fun parodies that everybody loves and our and treasures, all right.
Speaker 1: The first one.
Speaker 4: Can I tell you what. I ran a new guy at the airport there to day and after our pussing the Pot episode, he got the pussing the pot on.
Speaker 1: Them, the same one that's on the T shirt.
Speaker 4: With the gaff and then him and his friend. He's a young fella. Him and his friend were running around work so much saying pushing the pot that their boss toldhim they were gonna get fired if they didn't stop saying that.
Speaker 1: Now that makes me laugh.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good, huh. The man, it's always young people. You don't really run into many fifty year olds where you're like, really, that tattoo, this is the It just occurred to me that we're looking at his whole back here. Here's the thing that really it runs from his ass, neck to his scat to his shoulder blade. Yeah. I didn't see that until just now. Either. That's wild. Here's the big missed opportunity.
Speaker 3: I got to read the read the little letter that said also to describe it for the okay uh. Nick Zeluski says, look at this mistake, had the outline of Michigan done.
Speaker 1: Was okay with that?
Speaker 3: Then went back to at a large mouthed bass on a rodden reel, and I get a rainbow colored bass in a puddle on a rod.
Speaker 4: That looks as if a fifth grader drew it. Please help, man. I don't understand why he didn't have the hand of Michigan holding the that would have brought it all together. Oh, like the mitt was holding the mist should have been holding the rod. There's a missed opportunity right there. That is one of the worst biggest tattoos I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: I mean, how long do you think his rod is?
Speaker 10: Oh my god, we're just trying to paint a picture.
Speaker 4: Folks need to appreciate. So if you imagine a man's so here's why he's surprised. Like when you go like, how are you surprised by your tattoo? But this is one of your parts of your body that you've never seen. It's not like, yeah, but you've never seen. The other day, stepped out of my tent to take a leak in the middle of the night and stepped down a tent steak and cut a part of my heel that I realized is very You think you see your heels a lot, but there's a part of your heel you don't see most days. And this is a part of your body that you don't see most days. So he probably only later realized how bad it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it goes from underneath his arm, like his like lower armpit, and wraps all the way around to his spine. So I mean this thing is it's got to be ten twelve inches wide and at least that tall.
Speaker 4: Yeah, It like runs from his ass neck to his shoulder blade, and his kidney is sitting kind of in the little it's like sitting mid lower peninsula, and it goes his spine is there and it wraps around to his the the western up has to be over by his nips, close a nipple.
Speaker 10: I'm not a Michigan guy. How's the outline?
Speaker 4: Is it pretty? I mean it's good, It's really enough. Yeah, really, even on the east side, it's looking a little rough to me.
Speaker 10: That's what I was looking at, like that little puzzle piece part.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's yeah, it's pretty. But what really is outstanding just in its in it's and it's its badness is the fish coloration. He says, rainbow.
Speaker 3: But I just see like awkward marine glue.
Speaker 4: I don't. He says, What can he do to help? I'd be I'd be thinking the skin graft, that he would take skin from his buttocks, have this removed, put on his buttocks, and then have the skin from his buttocks put up on his back.
Speaker 10: That is a lot. That's a lot to do just to cover a spot of your body.
Speaker 4: You don't.
Speaker 1: Would you have it so that like the mask is kind of jumping out of his.
Speaker 4: Cracks, out of his buttons, or I would take that back skin and invert it and put it tattoo in must flesh out and hope that that grew in and the tattoo over tattoos, Right, they have a process where skin reversal that air in that direction.
Speaker 1: They have a process where you can just get it removed.
Speaker 3: All right, we're gonna vote on We're gonna do two today and then vote on the worst one. Cecil tremble rites in Back in twenty seventeen, I got a tattoo of a tarpin's head on the top of my arm as part of a.
Speaker 1: Florida themed fishing tattoo.
Speaker 4: The idea.
Speaker 3: The idea was to be looking downward at a tarpin, as though if you're on the bow of the boat, you know you got a tarpin coming towards you fly.
Speaker 4: After about five years.
Speaker 3: This tarpin began to look more and more like a huge penis on top of my arm.
Speaker 4: Oh, I actually never noticed it. One of my buddies did.
Speaker 3: His exact words were, my god, I thought that was a penis.
Speaker 4: That's not what he said.
Speaker 10: Yeah right, oh gee, ally, because that's how you talk to your buddies God.
Speaker 1: But he didn't.
Speaker 3: He didn't say my God. He wrote, by God. I thought that was a penis. Ever since then, that is all I can see. More people started noticing it too. This is part of a complete sleeve that cost me close to two grand. The rest of the tattoo looks great. I have already begun the process of getting it covered with a tattoo of a stone crab. Yes, I have thought of the pun crabs in my penis. Now I don't see it as much.
Speaker 4: As he does. I thought a snake.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I think specifically the nose of the of the looks looks a little suspects there.
Speaker 10: Is a penis like element to the front end.
Speaker 5: Definitely looks like the tip of a penis. I don't know what else you want me to say.
Speaker 4: Any more details.
Speaker 10: Then it flares out pretty far.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's from there becomes less healthy, that's true. Uncircumcised or circumcised phil it kind of it kind of depends what state the penis is. Like this, like, I'm really only really familiar with one. You know, and when I hear conversations like this, I'm like, now I'm thinking is They're like like, that's not what I see.
Speaker 10: So I'm like, I am album, Yannie. It almost looks like a penis in the process of being circumcised by one of those rubber bands.
Speaker 4: Like bulls. It's you know what, Listen, it's not that bad, because yeah, I think it could still be just worked.
Speaker 3: It worked it a little bit and just you know, maybe flared the mouth a little bit more like it was coming up to eat the fly.
Speaker 4: Dude, he could turn it to a profile of a fish. He could just have a whole another He doesn't have that bad of a problem. I mean, it's not going to be cheap. Do you think he's heard about turning his skin inside out? Well, no, because he's not in that situation. His arm, he's not in a situation like the other gentleman was. I think this is a fixable problem. It's going to cost a couple thousand bucks, and I think he'll be okay this. He could turn that into all manner of things.
Speaker 10: I would if I were him, I'd leave it. I don't think it's that.
Speaker 1: Bad, Okay, Cecil had the Tarpin and uh Nick had the Michigan large Mouth Rainbow. Nick gets the award for most regrettable.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, we're on to the rut report. Smart Kenyon is going to bring us a rut report. The date today is I think October.
Speaker 4: Tenth. How you can get three minutes out of this, mart easy? Oh okay, Oh my god, have you not heard Mark? We were joking that he would say that it's not happening yet. Is this going to be more of a rout forecast?
Speaker 8: Well, well, here's the thing is, we do this podcast on Wired to Hunt called Rut Fresh Radio, in which every week we check in with deer hunters all across the country, four or five different people different parts of the country find out what's happening right now. So when the actual rut does arrive, there's very peak of the rut related you know, updates, but the lead up to the rut is just as important as the actual peak of breeding. So people want to know about all that kind of stuff. So this week's rut report is that across most of the country, the upper half, if you know, if not a little bit more than that, we are beginning to build up to the rut so peak of brating in somewhere like Michigan's November fifteenth typically, So right now deer are slowly ramping up to stoster and slowly building this deer So one of the most visible things you're seeing is that scraping activities picking up. So in our rut Fresh radio episode that comes out the Wednesday of this week, we hear from some people that are all noticing a lot more scrapes, a lot more I wouldn't say a lot more, but a lot more scrape and some more visible daylight activity on those. So I've seen that on my own trail cameras starting to get daylight bucks showing up hitting those even in huntable hours.
Speaker 4: So that's a key thing to note.
Speaker 8: One other thing for anyone listening, you know, obviously, is live there's a cold front coming through much of the country right now that's hitting somewhere between Saturday and Monday. For various parts of the country, temperatures are dropping more than twenty degrees. So for example, in Michigan where I live, it's going from seventy seven down to fifty one for the highs, and so that's going to get a lot of deer moving and there should be some good hunting coming.
Speaker 1: That's titillating.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's what that's what I shoot forward with all my rut reports. Tittaing. No, that was a phenomenal ret report. I mean I got yeah, I liked it.
Speaker 1: I was speaking just of that temperature droplating for me.
Speaker 4: Yes, I thought the whole it could be. I could listen to that from years ago when it has no relevance and I would still have been interested in it.
Speaker 1: Oh, listen, I'll be back every other week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you should just make up someone giving.
Speaker 10: Me then, Mark, that was so much better than everybody expected.
Speaker 4: Thanks for that, good job.
Speaker 1: Thank you Mark for the report today.
Speaker 4: You are very welcome.
Speaker 1: Now we're on to a.
Speaker 3: Segment called the Indefensible Law. See if you want to intro, I often hold on.
Speaker 4: I have questions about that one, but Phil his game is really off. Man. Like the last couple of these. We started with Jetika and everything, which fills a genius. All that enough, it's like, wow, that's okay. You know, Randall called my intro's noise last night after a couple of drinks, so we're not speaking today. I have a thing where I have a problem where I run around and I'll something will annoy me, and I'll say, like, I know it would be government over, but I feel like it should be against the law to whatever you know. And so in doing like an indefensible law thing someone else starts I'm trying. I do them so often I have to think of one of my favorites, like a thing that I feel should be against the law.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but you feel like you you explained what we're doing here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'd be like if you could if you could indulge your like annoyances, not indulge annoyances, but if you could take things that you just drive you nuts and pass a law around it and not need to rationalize it, not mean to make it seem like it was doing anybody any good.
Speaker 20: But you.
Speaker 4: What would you create? For instance, earlier were talking about I was saying, this might this is probably indefensible, it's mean, but I think that if you have a cowboy hat, you should at least be live stock adjacent. You should at least be live stock adjacent. That I would sign that law. If I was the emperor of the world and they put that law on my desk, I would sign that in the law. Do you feel that way around baseball hats?
Speaker 3: No copy uniforms, Yes, but I mean a baseball hat way back in the day only baseball players wore.
Speaker 4: That's why I call them bill caps. You sometimes I call them bill caps?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: Did you call them bill caps? Often?
Speaker 1: No one's perfect.
Speaker 4: No one's perfect, son, Go grab your bill cap.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: Often, I'll say that I'm impressed by all of you, because when we have to do this segment, I'm like, I don't have any Only I get annoyed by laws that are already in and I'm like, wow, would just get rid of that one?
Speaker 4: Okay, here's what. Let me give you that one. This is my this is my Mike. I give my main one. Are you gonna do yours? Now?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 1: I don't have one, you three have them.
Speaker 4: I think it should be illegal to do this. You know, when someone goes on a let's say it's let's say it's firearm season or firearm legal and someone's like, I'm gonna do it with my bow, but then they bring a gun. I don't think you should be allowed to do that.
Speaker 10: I kind of like that.
Speaker 4: I think that that should be illegal. I think that when you bite when you when you bite that off and you go into that, you're like, you're gonna go on a sheep hunt. You're like, and you know what, dude, I'm gonna do it with my bow. I'm and you could use a gun. So here I am as the not as a person not doing that. I'm like, that is that's like such dedication that you're willing to go and like eat the tag. You're willing to do all that work and have sheep or goats or whatever. You could have gotten one, but you wanted to do it your way. You know, you wanted to like push the envelope and like push yourself to extremes. But then on the last day they grab their gun. I just feel like they led me on and that they that they weren't really I don't. I think that you should get arrested if.
Speaker 11: You do that.
Speaker 1: I wish to interview We have a whole Me your podcast episode where we interview like four or five people that have done this.
Speaker 4: I know I have dear friends that pulled it off on the last day.
Speaker 1: I think you're like almost asking for like the universe just to be wa handing. You wait too much to be like I'm gonna larp around.
Speaker 4: Maybe not the last day.
Speaker 1: Maybe on the last day, there's gonna be a rams standing there.
Speaker 4: And I have friends that have done it. I have dear friends that have done it. I don't think that they should still be free men, right or they should have been detained for a while in jail.
Speaker 10: A lot of it you hear about is grab the guide's gun, you know, was gonna make the stock on that goat or whatever, and then all of a sudden you're like, we can't cross the last hundred and fifty yards. Hand me, that's real eight buddy, send a boat down, you know.
Speaker 4: And there's one there's a there's a cousin to this that I'll touch on that I that I don't have an opinion about, and I don't want these guys to get boiled into it. Would be if you do a grizzly archery grizzly or archie brown bear, but the guide shoots the mint, you let the arrow go? Did you bow hunt it? I'm not gonna win in maybe on a future episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think people should write in a little short essay on did you kill a grizzly bear with a bow and arrow, if your guide shoots it.
Speaker 4: With some guides, that's the only way they'll allow it to happen. Yeah, So it's like, did you I guess you'd have to do a little and a little neat cropsy right to find out if it would have worked or not.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, but I also feel that that those circumstances are so self regulating. It just the person that goes into it with both weapons. They're not committed in the in the first place, and so it doesn't take long to be like, right, stay in camp.
Speaker 4: So you don't think that we actually need a law? Yeah, Tony, what's your indefensible law? Uh?
Speaker 10: The one that I think about there's something that drives me nuts, and it's when people get a well bred bird dog and they have no intention either not only not only just of no no, no, no no. They know you have to know yourself at a certain point. Not only are you not going to hunt with that dog, okay, whatever, but you're not going to give that dog the training and the life that it needs. Like you live in an apartment somewhere and you're like, I'm gonna get this high drive whatever well bred, and then you're in an apartment in Chicago and that dog cannot that's a bad matchup. That drives me crazy. Like, there's so many dog options for people who don't necessarily want to participate in the things that that kind of high drive get old.
Speaker 1: They're called cats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like an old crippled up dog.
Speaker 10: There's plenty of dog breeds that are slow movers, that are lap dogs or whatever. But when people get high drive bird dogs and they don't utilize them and give that dog some level of the life that it deserves. Ye, that drives me freaking crazy. I agree, I say, beyond prison, it's just right to the guillotine. No, I don't, Well, it's fine.
Speaker 4: I like that. I'd support that law. You know what.
Speaker 10: That surprises me because I thought you would probably not.
Speaker 4: No, I support that law. When I make a habit when I'm with my kids and my kids will see like Max Max Barda's dog, or they'll see Cal's dog, and they're like, I want to get a dog like that.
Speaker 6: I I will.
Speaker 4: I'll be like, you have to understand the thousands of hours setting it, Like I'm like literally setting your alarm two hours earlier then you would otherwise need to in order to get up and train your dog. I'll just pound that into It's not the dog. It's not the dog, you like, it's what the person put in to bring that dog's talents forth well.
Speaker 10: Right, But you also can't divorce that that result from the fact that that dog has good blood.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, yeah, you're right. But when I'm saying what I'm trying to know, I'm trying to say, but I'm trying to talk to little children to explain to them what what they're seeing is is performance, and they're mistaking it for the dog, right, And I'm trying to like instruct them on the importance of what because these are people that get yelled at every day by their mother and father about not taking care of their pets. So I'm trying to, like I get it, jam it into them. It's like, it's not just that.
Speaker 10: If you take that puppy, take Max bart A's puppy, and it doesn't go to him, and it goes to a different family, the outcome is vastly different for that dog.
Speaker 4: And I try to just as little kids, I try to stress that to him, to try to build it like a you know, like a discipline, a discipline thing. I want to clarify to you that I said get an old, old, crippled ole dog.
Speaker 18: My.
Speaker 4: We have family friends that that were friends because my he's my my boy's best buddy, Teddy Roosevelt. Uh. They go down to the dog pound and they'll get the oldest dog no one wants, and they'll take that dog home and take super good care of it, and that dog will die, and then they'll get the they'll go back down and get the oldest dog no one wants and take super good care of it. It'll die. They'll go get the oldest dog no one wants, and they they'll have multiple sometimes of dogs that just like the rejects, and they like just give them a very comfortable it's nice. Yeah, it's a lot. That's one heartbreak after another.
Speaker 10: I was gonna say that I have eleven and a half year old dog that's slowing down like big time. So that's like a very admirable thing to do, because you know, you don't get any of the good parts, like you know, like you're just like setting yourself up over and over again for just a horrible experience. No, that should be the law should support that, right.
Speaker 1: Marco.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got one that'll, you know, piss some people off.
Speaker 8: But if I'm the rule of the world and I don't need to care about everybody drawing their line in the sands somewhere different, this is my sand, this is my line my world, I would say that there should be a law that says that all cell cameras should be sold with a twenty four hour delay, so you can use a cell camera, but you can get no photos any sooner than twenty four hours after they happen.
Speaker 4: I think that would be I.
Speaker 10: Feel like this is a law that might actually come to be. I think this is the only one that might eventually exist.
Speaker 4: I think they can regulate that. I think you could see.
Speaker 10: I think they're going to have to sell state compliant cameras at some point.
Speaker 8: Well, I've always thought that if a camera company came out with like a fair Chase camera and they market it in this kind of way and said, hey, if you're using our camera, that's like, hey, this is the way I operate, there might be a sub segment of the market who care about that enough to vote with their dollars.
Speaker 4: I would vote with my dollars in that kind of way.
Speaker 10: And if that came first, then there's not necessarily just going to be a blanket ban in the future, because a state could go, well, if there's this kind of more ethical style, then we could we could write a law this way when people are pissed off about whether they're fairchase or not.
Speaker 8: And I think it gives you the ability to still use this tool, but it eliminates the most icky possible uses of the tool. So it's a moderated kind of regulation.
Speaker 4: You apologized and said it's gonna piss people off, but you're sitting next to a man over here that is going to execute. He's going to execute people who haven't who made a bad dog, who made a bad dog? Purchase good point. I'm the reason just going to make it that you can't. I mean, this is gonna this is gonna make the news.
Speaker 3: How do you work it now when there isn't a state agency telling you how to do it? How do you work your cell cameras?
Speaker 16: Now?
Speaker 4: Well, that's what I do. I have a twenty four hour delay in mine.
Speaker 1: An actual delay, or you just have it set once.
Speaker 8: A day so it sends once every twenty four and then you set the time right. So most of mine are set it like seven eight in the morning something like that, and then every morning you get them actually take the back. It's in the middle of the night because every morning I would wake up there's a bunch of them.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, And the first thing you do when you're in the deer stand in the morning, it's still dark, you're like, well as well scroll through see what happened a little bit.
Speaker 1: That's what I do. But I have a mind set up on the twenty four hour too, But uh yeah, it's the thing I do in the deer stand now, scroll through some pictures.
Speaker 4: But I just don't want to be tempted.
Speaker 8: I don't want to be tempted to be like walking out to the tree stand or something and then I look at my photos and then I see like, oh, geez, twenty minutes ago, this buck was there or whatever. For me, like, I know everyone's different, but that is that's too much.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not into it. I'm not gonna say who it was.
Speaker 3: But while it's in Lavia, we were hanging out and someone got a picture like an automatic ding, you know, and there's a bunch of pigs at a feeder and they left and then thirty minutes later, it came back with a pig.
Speaker 4: It's just really like, yikes.
Speaker 1: I mean you can do it.
Speaker 4: It's not illegal, but not in my world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like what why was that fun? I don't know.
Speaker 3: So thank you guys for you guys really brought the energy after eating a big old Poe Boy for lunch, so I appreciate that. I hope you guys do too. Thanks for watching Meet Your Live. We'll see you next week where it will be live