Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: I'll kiss you.
Speaker 3: I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all in podcast iHeartRadio. One eleven Productions, Pop Culture, Season five, Episode thirteen, Wedding Bill Blues. I'm joined by my intrepid crew, Tara sud Danielle Romo, Amy Sugarman, Laura Lion Luke talking about their plans that night. He's coming over to work on the boat, LAURAAI, Yeah, Yeah, that's fine. Rory spending the night. We're having a cop Rock marathon. Cop Rock was a procedural music television series. It premiered on September twenty sixth, nineteen ninety on ABC, and it only aired eleven episodes before concluding Let's just say It. It got canceld on December twenty six.
Speaker 2: Ahead of its time.
Speaker 1: Guys and Amy, go ahead and take the next one.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: I wanted to do a lot more on cop Rock, but okay.
Speaker 1: So let's do coprop. We just play that.
Speaker 3: Maybe I have maybe we should all watch an episode of cop Rock so we can talk about that too. I think we I have ideas we need to get more into some of these things. And then talk about them. But for now, just do yourself a favor. Hit the YouTube, hit a little cop Rock. You'll see some familiar faces. Some of those people have gone on to do amazing things.
Speaker 1: Who are the stars of cop Rock by.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for asking. C. H. Pounder was in there, Paul mccrane was in there, from Er. Some people that you'll recognize, like James McDaniel, Like, you'll recognize their faces even if you're like, I don't know their names. You know who was on cop Rock?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 3: Okay, buckle up and she's coming on with us soon, Kathleen Wilhoyd.
Speaker 1: You get out of town, so please.
Speaker 3: Make me remember to ask her about it. Yeah, so that's Liz. That's Luke's sister Liz. Yeah, she's on soon.
Speaker 1: So she was also in Roadhouse. She was also in r Yeah, and I heard she had a part in Guilt More Girls Do.
Speaker 2: She's your sister.
Speaker 3: Rory is burning CD's in the kitchen while they cook in quotes and get ready for their night in.
Speaker 2: Hey, do you want the Arcade Fire?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: This is like.
Speaker 3: Arcade Fire is an indie rock band from Montreal, and at the time, Arcade Fire had just debuted with their album Funeral and was a hit among critics and fans, and Arcade Fire is.
Speaker 2: Like still big is so big, well done, ahead of its time. Always Gilmore girls, That's that's it.
Speaker 1: That's Dan Paladino. He's a big Indian.
Speaker 2: He knows music.
Speaker 3: Music.
Speaker 1: I think they both do. But yeah, and also the woman who does the music for the show, gosh, what's her name?
Speaker 4: I forget her name.
Speaker 1: They're gonna kill me, but she's brilliant and she Sam Sam Phillips.
Speaker 2: These people know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: So these people know what they're doing. They really know music. Yeah, yeah, uh okay, Danielle, you want to take the next Kim?
Speaker 5: Emily says she fired her wedding planner and cousin Marilyn will be running the wedding instead. And Richard says, you know that Marilyn was a very intimate friend of Cecil Beaton.
Speaker 2: Did you say they're right?
Speaker 5: Yeah? There you go, Okay, a very intimate friend of Cecil Beaton. He named an end table after her. Is an Oscar winning stage and costume designer for films and theaters, an interior designer, photographer, and painter. One of his most famous interior design houses was the Ashcombe House. He had artists create murals on the walls and entertained the artful elite at the mansion. This is the second time Cecil bee In is referenced. In season five, episode three, Emily's neighbor's dog is named Cecil Bean.
Speaker 6: Oh two times in one season.
Speaker 1: All right, Tara, take the next one.
Speaker 7: All right. Rory's getting changed into her suit for the val renewal. Lorli says, great come back as Thora Birch. Thora Birch is an actress from the nineties and most famously starred in Hocus Pocus, American Beauty and Now and Then. Thora frequently wore suits on red carpets and interviews.
Speaker 5: She's Danny from Hocus Pocus.
Speaker 3: I didn't get this reference because I love Thora Birch, because thor Burt was also just in The Walking Dead. So but I didn't get this. So is this just like it was because she wore suits all the.
Speaker 1: Time, were suits on red carpets and interviews.
Speaker 2: I mean, kind of a stretch of a reference, but I'll give it to him. I'll give it to him.
Speaker 1: It's a very personal reference to the Palladinos, and they want to know. Yeah, they wanted to share that. Okay, So Emily is nervous for her vow renewal, saying she should take a pill to calm down. Emily stopped that maybe I should take a second all. Larela excellent idea, Judy. That was when I got right away, when I got immediately right lorel I references Judy Garland, who died of an accidental overdose in nineteen sixty nine. At the time, Judy was prescribed second all, and Judy is also known as the mother of Liza Minelli.
Speaker 3: If I am not mistaken, and Laurna left, so let me give y'all a little trivia. Judy Garland obviously had Liza Minelli, which everyone always talks about.
Speaker 1: With Vincent Minelli, the band leader.
Speaker 3: But she's also the mother of Laurna Luft, who I am obsessed with because of Grease too, which I got a shout out TikTok for giving Grease to the credit it deserves. Everybody always was like worst two sucks. Grease two never sucked. It was always amazing. Michelle Peiper's genius in it, and the songs are rap cool writer, cool writer. Let's bowl all of it. In the same scene, Emily is nervous for the vow renewal. Mom, it's a pretend wedding.
Speaker 2: Jalo has them all the time. I mean, hello, way to go.
Speaker 3: At the time, Jayla had just married for a third time to Mark Anthony. So she was married to I can't remember his name. Then she was married to Chris Judd, Chris Judd, then Mark Anthony, Mark Anthony. Then this still works because she then went on to be she got engaged to Alex Rodriguez.
Speaker 1: They didn't get married. No, no struck out.
Speaker 2: Yea engaged to then she or before that?
Speaker 3: She was before Mark Anthony, she was with Ben Affleck, and now she's married to Ben Affleck.
Speaker 2: And on Father's Day posted kind of a saucy photo of Ben Affleck that everyone's been.
Speaker 1: Talking so unlike her.
Speaker 6: Was she not engaged to Diddy or did they just date?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Great great call though, Yeah, I forgot about Diddy.
Speaker 3: Do we want to just like take the over under on how long she's gonna let us with Ben Affleck?
Speaker 2: We let its line. We just hope for the best. We wish them well. I love I love Ben.
Speaker 1: Affleck, So I just I don't you know, I want them to stay together, but keep selling and buying new houses. I like looking inside their house.
Speaker 6: I do like those photos and.
Speaker 5: She's not engaged six times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like to my zero, me too. I got you girl. Can we talk about though? I did not love air? Did everybody in this group scene?
Speaker 1: I heard? I heard good things.
Speaker 3: I heard five out of five stars, and then I watched it and I was like, didn't into.
Speaker 1: This kind of a brilliant deal that he made. I mean, Michael Jordan is making bank off of that still totally. I mean he's making He's making minimum four hundred million a year just off of that Nike deal. Oh and that was in the now. He made that deal in the nineties, and now he's about to sell the Charlotte Hornets for three billion dollars. Yeah, look, I mean giving a break. I mean, it's Mike.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's good. I maybe I just I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's good, but I didn't give it five out of five stars.
Speaker 5: So Rory is changed into her suit for her best man role in Lorlay says say, aren't you the culture Queer Eye guy? The culture guy in the original Queer Eye was j Rodriguez. Lorlai is referencing Rory looking nice in a suit in the queer eye. Guys would be proud.
Speaker 1: I agree, she looked good.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 1: Look, it's really good. I agree, Yeah, yeah, she looks she looked right that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they both looked amazing.
Speaker 3: Everyone looked very good in this, because even your wrinkled suit was excellent.
Speaker 7: I was trying to convince Luke to dance with her at the reception. Laura says, we're doing the one from Pulp Fiction. Do you want to be Uma or should I?
Speaker 2: Is that this one?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: You guys never saw pulp fiction?
Speaker 1: Pulp Fiction?
Speaker 8: Oh wow, Danielle, No, I haven't, are you not Tarantino fans?
Speaker 2: I saw, I saw Kittle Bill.
Speaker 1: I saw these films were events when they came out, literal events.
Speaker 2: I love a Royale with Jeeves.
Speaker 1: Really, hell, gee Man, that is just talent. Run amuck a Tarantino script man, Go Tara.
Speaker 2: Give it to us.
Speaker 7: So in the film Pulp Fiction, there's a dance competition scene between Uma Thurman and John Travolta doing the twist. Loreali is joking with with Luke.
Speaker 6: It says, Scott melts through me.
Speaker 7: Is joking with Luke about what danced to perform on the dance floor.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember what that song mean.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, man, it goes to show you never can tell.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I can't think of the title that song, he said the old folks, it goes to show you.
Speaker 2: Never can tell.
Speaker 1: I liked Luke's line on the dance floor. Can we stop dancing now?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you want to know something crazy? As we're talking about pulp fiction. I can't I remember if it's next week or a couple of weeks from now. But the episode is titled pulp Friction.
Speaker 5: Ooh.
Speaker 1: Not that my appetite needed to be wedded anymore, but it seems that you've done that. Richard giving his speech about why he chose the specific song for the first dance, Richard, I went over all the greats Bennett, Sinatra, Chuck Berry, and a story popped into my head. Tony Bennett has amassed many accolades throughout his career, including twenty Grammy Awards, a Lifetime Achievement Award, and two Primetime Emmy Awards. Frank Sinatra was one of the most popular entertainers in nineteen forties fifty sixties, seventies, and eighties, and he is among the best selling music artists, with an estimated one hundred and fifty million record sales. Chuck Berry is one of the most influential rock and roll performers in music history. He was known as the father of rock and roll. He is known for songs including Maybelene and Johnny Be Good. Richard Is naming Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, and Chuck Berry as artists he thought of when trying to find a song for Richard and Emily's vow Renewal. Did you know that every young guitar player, when they are starting to get a little bit of confidence on their instrument, learns Johnny be Good.
Speaker 2: I want to know how I know this?
Speaker 1: How do you know this?
Speaker 2: Because I love Back to the Future.
Speaker 3: And in Back to the Future, Marty McFly has to play at the dance, and so he plays Johnny be Good before the song was ever came out. And so then guy says, Chuck, it's your cousin, Marvin, Marvin Barry.
Speaker 2: You gotta hear this. It's just that Marty mcfi really did Johnny be Good.
Speaker 1: But those basic licks in those chords that basic twelve bar blues. Every young guitar player learns that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he says that in Back to the.
Speaker 1: Future, every younger guitar player follow me for the changes.
Speaker 2: He's also blues riff and be follow me for the changes.
Speaker 1: God, I love that movie, right right, right, all right, Amy, I believe a europe.
Speaker 2: Do you want to do this though? This is well, okay, I'll do it just because cole Porters feels like it fits in the other one.
Speaker 1: But you know what, I'll do, same scene. No, you're right, you're right. I appreciate that. Same scene Richard giving his speech to Emily and chooses Wedding Bell Blues as their song. Richard, of course it drove me crazy, some women complaining about some woman complaining about how she wanted to marry a man named Bill. Not exactly cole Porter. Emily would tease me saying, if only your name was Bill and this this could be our song. Well, Emily, for tonight and tonight, only my name is Bill and this is our song. Very very nice speech, really really terrific.
Speaker 2: I love that whole moment, really right.
Speaker 1: Wedding Bell Blues is a song by Laura Nero in nineteen sixty six, As Richard stated, Laura sings about a guy named Bill. That was Laura Nero. I didn't realize that, and who she loves. She was one of the first signs of David Geffen when he started Geffen Record it was Laura Niro. Yeah. I think he started out with Laura Niro building his empire. Richard is comparing Wedding bell Blues to Cole Porter, who was a legendary musical.
Speaker 2: Artist who sang song Bill.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was Laura Niro. What a great song? You know, No wonder David Geffen signed her because he heard that song.
Speaker 2: Is like wow, well, yeah, what a song.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Hey, if I was back there and I'd heard her, I was signed her to I'd a developed start a record company. Sure, thank you.
Speaker 3: You should sign hep Alien, Ry and Christopher talking to the salon during the first dance song.
Speaker 2: Rory asked Christopher if he likes.
Speaker 1: Her suite very miss stuffer.
Speaker 3: Bugsy Malone is a nineteen seventy six gangster movie comedy musical film written and directed by Alan Parker. Christopher references the main care bugsy Malone. Now, am I crazy to think that there was also a Warren Beatty where he played. Okay, so that was called bugsy, right, okay, all right, Oh, who's gonna take us home?
Speaker 2: Danielle, I'll take us home.
Speaker 5: So Rory and Logan dancing and she's trying to convince him to date her with no strings attached. I think they should have said no strings attached and started quoting in sync, but Rory said, hey, girls just want to have fun, stringless fun, and Rory is quoting the Cydida Wappers song girls just want to have fun to convince Logan to be with her.
Speaker 1: Well, well it worked, she got her wish. However, briefly, good episode. Good episode, boy, the best in my book so far.
Speaker 2: Shout out to the cookie jar.
Speaker 3: I did see Grandma's cookie jar in the kitchen in this one, which I was happy about.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 6: I also noticed the mugs at Luke's.
Speaker 2: Oh the cub the mugg cubbies, jeez, I did see that.
Speaker 1: And Crackstaff is back from vacation. Oh, however, they are dealing with severe sunburns. Oh okay, so they're playing Allo as we speak.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember. I don't think I have any other little tidbits from this one. Other than it's the one hundredth episode right.
Speaker 1: Right anyway, thanksgang, good seeing everybody. Great to see a wonderful rest of the week.
Speaker 2: Happy one hundred.
Speaker 1: Happy one hundredths everybody, and we're just going to keep going. We have fifty four more plus four, so fifty eight episodes to go. Wow we are.
Speaker 2: We'll drag that out. Don't worry, guys, We're going to be around for a while.
Speaker 4: We got you.
Speaker 1: Because where do we go from here? You know? Huh? Anyway to start all the best So next episode, season five, episode fourteen, say something. Best fans on the planet, thank you so much. Remember catch me at Corpus Christi Comic Con end of end of July. And Indie Popcorn just announced Indie Popcorn end of in Indianapolis, Indiana at the end of August, so I will see everybody there. Best fans on the planet, Thanks for downloading, everybody, and always remember we and I am all In.
Speaker 4: Stay safe everyone, Hey
Speaker 1: Everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmour at iHeartRadio dot com.