Speaker 1: The Season with Peter Schrager is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. What's Up, Everybody, Welcome to the Season with Peter Schreger. I am Peter Schreger. You might see me on Good Morning Football in the mornings. You might see me on Fox NFL Kickoff on Sundays. If my voice is a little hoarse, it's because it's been a wild few days. Sunday we were we did the Fox NFL Kickoff Show. We had the best episode of the season. It's myself, it's Julian Edelman, Michael Vick, Charles Woodson, and Chris Thompson. We have a blast. And then I had never been to a Chargers home game, and I was sticking around LA to do Good Morning Football. So I went to Chargers Chiefs in person, and I'm telling you, three quarters into that game, that felt like a chart victory. And then, like they do, the Chiefs snatch it at the last second. But I came away just amazed, amazed by Steve Spagnolo's defense. And I think we're a month into the season and I have so many observations based on what we thought the first week. Then it changes the second week, then we overreact the third week and one of the fourth week. I've been doing this long enough where I think October is really where we start to see the best teams in football more importantly, you don't want to peak week one, week two, week three. Things start to settle and things start to show themselves more in October. For example, this Chiefs team, we knew they were going to be down a bunch of weapons once you saw Hollywood Brown got hurt and Isaiah Pacheco got hurt. Now you lose Rashi Rice, which at the end of the day on Tuesday was like, you know, it might be a little better the next way, he's gonna be out. He's gonna be out for a long time. The Chiefs rolled out there Carson Steele as their number one running back.
Speaker 2: He fumbled.
Speaker 1: They didn't give him the ball again. So now it's Kareem Hunt, samaj p Ryan to aging veteran running backs. It's a rookie Xavier Worthy who had three catches and the big touchdown, and that's great, but I don't know if he's gonna get the load. It's gonna be an aging Travis Kelce. It's Noah great it's justin Watson, it's Skymore, who you could tell the team is just is just beyond frustrated with and it's like, all right, Chiefs, four weeks into this season, how are we gonna win games? Their defense? The defense is awesome. Herbert's out there and he's dealing to McConkie the first few drives and then it just completely stops. And you see what the Chiefs do, and it's McDuffie coming in off a zero blitz off the corner spot. You see Chris Jones just absolutely annihiling people in defensive line. Teams change, Teams change because they have to cheats adapt. The Chiefs might go and get make a big swing and make a trade and get another wide receiver. Great, that'll keep them a float. But if the Chiefs are gonna do it again this year and they're gonna win three in a row, it's gonna be based on their defense, and it's gonna be based on Andy Reid's ingenuity on offense, and it's gonna be based on mahomes Is finding a way they're not gonna score thirty and forty points in games, not with the offense that they have, and not how that team is built right now. But they will stop you and they will hold you under twenty. And if that's the case, they can win October. This is where we start to see these teams come together the Chiefs. That's what I think is going to have to take for them to do this. And I know it's just one month in, but you're gonna see there's gonna be a lot of inks billed on what's wrong with with Mahomes, what's wrong with Kelsey. It's already started. But as long as they keep winning and they get that home field advantage in Kansas City, or at least get a couple of those games in Kansas City in the playoffs, they'll be there at the end. I look at the Baltimore Ravens. Everyone picked them to either go to the Super Bowl or win the AFC North. Two weeks into the season, there is masssteria, tough loss Week one, and then you know, bone crushing, soul crushing last week two. Well what happens week three? Mixed results. They go into DA they get a big lead, but they almost give it up. And then finally week four, week four, they start showing what they can be. A one hundred ninety nine yard game from Derrick Henry and eighty seven yard run from the start, a defense that was just swarming Josh Allen. The Bills came into this game averaging thirty seven points a game. They were held at ten, and their defense was all over those receivers and in such a way where you're like, oh, Kyle Hamilton might be one of the best defensive players in football. Oh ro Qwan Smith's one of the best linebackers of football. Oh Nate Wiggins is a rookie that they expect a lot out of it, and he played well. Here's what I'm telling about this. It takes some time. They lost three offensive linemen this offseason that were very key parts to their offense last year. They have three guys replacing them. Takes some time. They lost their defensive coordinator, Mike McDonald, They lost Geno Stone, they lost Patrick Queen. Those were leaders on the team. It takes some time. October this is where we start to see these guys who's going to be coming through. I look at the Lions offense weird first few weeks. Weird in that they were winning games, but that went against the Rams.
Speaker 2: The offense was like all right.
Speaker 1: We just had to run the ball with David Montgomery down the stretch, and we'll just lean on that. That's not the Ben Johnson offense. It's usually so innovative and different. Week two, bad loss, Week three they squeeze by Arizona and the offenses. And then week four, October's here. We know that's the offense. But we saw on Week four against the Seahawks that's the offense. October is where we're gonna find out a lot about that teams. And I look at the New York Jets and they might be the most paramount on the list. Let's see, this is it. We knew things were going to go through some rough times at some point. Well you know, I picked them to be the number one seed in the AFC. I have Aaron Rodgers is my MVP. After that Patriots game week three, I felt pretty good. I was puffing my chest out. After Week four, it's right back down to the to the doldrums. And if you look at what they have up ahead, it's the Vikings. This Sunday in a Week four game in London, they're flying over there, and it's more than just you know, can we get the win? Fine? You beat Sam Darnold. Great, you find a way you're three and two cool that keeps the press, you know, at Bay for a little bit. But already Robert Salo has asked about the cadence, and he's talking about cadence and he's talking about, you know, Aaron Rodgers trying to draw guys off sides and false start out of your typical comfort zone as a defensive head coach. Is he allowed to talk about it? Sure, he's the head coach. Then they go to Rogers and Rogers immediately it's like, how about we just hold guys accountable. We've had one false start the whole year. That's what I've been doing doing for twenty years. Then they go back to sala On on Monday. He's got comments on it where he kind of backtracks a little bit. Look, this is the stuff, this is the stuff. Stay stay, stay in your pocket, stay in your lane. Do not start speaking out of school, do not spart speaking out, don't try to say things that you don't necessarily feel comfortable with. This is the stuff. Where Rogers is a twenty year veteran, four time MVP. Let him handle the cadence. Let him do what it is now what I've been trying to draw guys off sides in the red zone. I don't know if that's necessary. There's a far greater danger to having a false start and knocking yourself back than it is getting an extra a couple of yards in the red zone when you're already within the ten. That said, Garrett Wilson comes out. He had some comments when he was talking to the media in the big context, is not as bad as what was clipped out. All this stuff matters. Now you go to London, how do you stay together? Because the New York media is not the Jacksonville media, The New York media is not the Minnesota media. The New York media is not necessarily the Arizona media. This is one where if they see any blood, or they see a scrape, if they see even a window, they'll pounce. And how do you stay together with that? How do you stay together that and not start responding to that and looking at each other and saying, wait, well you said what, why'd you say that? Why wouldn't you say that? Can't do it, can't do it.
Speaker 2: It's too soon.
Speaker 1: October key month, really key month. If the Jets start losing games, This could be real bad. They need to find a way to get a couple of these wins. Coming up, we have an awesome guest today and it's a perfect time to have this guest. This guest just I don't know if it's the exclusive breaking news. This guest just got back from Washington, DC because he sat down with a guy who he's being compared to, and that guy's being compared to him. We're gonna have Michael Vick on and he just got done with a sit down with Jaden Daniels in Washington, which he did on Tuesday afternoon. We're gonna talk to Mike about Jaden. We're gonna talk to Mike about two. We're gonna talk to Mike about his new film that he produced on Amazon called The Evolution of the Black Quarterback. Michael Vick is going to join us October, he said, when it matters guys, right after this, I'm very excited for our guests this week. With no further ado, one of the NFL and cultural icons of his generation and a colleague of mine on Fox NFL kickoff every single Sunday Box eleven am Eastern. We've become very good friends over the years. And it was the first time having you on the podcast, mister Michael Vick.
Speaker 2: Michael, Hello, Well, so Peter, I can wait to come on the pod man.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting out get on the pod. I want to start in Washington, d C. And I want to start with current events because anytime there's a young athletic African American quarterback, they immediately are compared to Michael Vick. And I always say, time out, time out, that Michael Vick was was one of one when he came into this league. And there are very few guys who could run and pass like Michael Vick. Jaden Daniels might be that guy. When you watched Jaden Daniels in college, what was your takeaway?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny because as soon as you start talking about Jay and I start thinking about his days at Arizona State and his time with herm Edwards, and I think he spent three years there. And so you know, we come out to California. You know, we catch the late game. So I was always catching the Earth, I'm always catching Arizona UCLA and so I was watching this kid. I'm like, you know, I'm looking at the statue like he got a lot of potential. You know, I knew he was young, but I was like, I got to watch and see how he progressed. And fast forward, he ended up going to LSU. I'm looking at the quarterback at LSU, like you get two years ago, and I'm like, this kid looked familiar transfer reporter all this. I found out that he transferred in and then his first year at LSU it.
Speaker 2: Was kind of like an up and down year, and I knew he had another year left.
Speaker 3: And nowadays, you never know how many years kids got, Like in college, you know, some guys be six years guys and five years and that wasn't the case back and I date, so, you know, I see him at LSU and I'm like, oh, the first year, I knew he needed some work.
Speaker 2: Last year, I was like, something must have clipped and he ended.
Speaker 3: Up winning the hazard And you know this, you know, a long story short that you know, now we get Jane Dames in.
Speaker 2: The National Football League. So through four games.
Speaker 3: Pete, I mean, he's just getting better and better and better each and every week.
Speaker 1: The crazy part is the completion percentage. He cleared ninety percent of his passes two weeks ago eighty two percent of his passes this week. A lot of that is, of course the offense, but a lot of that is on him as just a pure passer. That that has blown me away as someone who was you know, thrown into the NFL. Is the fact that he's so accurate? Is that blowing you away?
Speaker 3: Also, Yeah, it's blowing me away because I watched him in college and so, like I said, the first year.
Speaker 2: I just knew he needed a little work and needed time to get better.
Speaker 3: And then the next year he was making more plays in the pocket and he was more accomplishing more in the passing game. As far as understanding the concepts, I think getting to the right places with the ball, and I don't know what type of offense they was running with.
Speaker 2: It was enough to win.
Speaker 3: That hasn't Then fast forward and now he links up with Cliff Kingsbury, your guy who you always praise and said that you know, he, you know, was one of the best in the business. And he's proven that, you know what I'm say. He's proven that with Kyler, he's proven that with jayalen Jada, and for him to come out smoking and to be as efficient as he is, that's that's the coach understanding the player and vice versas.
Speaker 1: All right, so we work at Fox every weekend and you get thirty two teams. No one, I mean, we thought the Commanders could have a nice little bomum. No one expected them to the story of the first month of the season. You get a call from our producer saying, hey, this is the story of the twenty twenty four campaign. This is the Jaden Daniels here, Michael Vicky want you to sit down with Jaden Daniels. That's gonna air on Fox. You get the call where a few hours removed, you spent yesterday in d C. Without giving away the entire interview, take us through your day Tuesday, spending it with Jayden Daniels. I assume the first time you met him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was really cool to be back home for one. You know, anytime I fly back into pertain you to always bring back memories too. I always wanted to play for Washington, so you know, being a guy who grew up for my grandmother grew.
Speaker 2: Up a Washington fan. I watched them a lot.
Speaker 3: Didn't like him as a kid, but you know, I wanted to finish my career in so you know, it was I didn't get a chance to do that, so it was a little bittersweet. But having a chance to actually go and see any any team's facility, I'm always intrigued by that.
Speaker 2: When I got there, you know, just had to soak it all in, look around, you.
Speaker 3: Know, complex is really it was nice to doing a lot of renovations and and uh, we're trying to you know, make it, you know, a little more efficient than what has been over the years. And so when I first walk in and I see phrase move and Uh saying Tana Monks.
Speaker 1: I think working, I think working for the team. I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're working in the mediate department.
Speaker 3: They got their own podcasts, and they you know, just around just around the facility, just hanging out, just being being, you know, legends, the legends that they are. Then I see Doug Wis, Then I see Cliff, then I see Dan Quinn. You know, they all coming, you know, introduce themselves and they're saying hi. And then then I ultimately I get the team and uh had a chance to just hang out with him for a second before we did an interview. They were just talking about, you know, the game plan for for this week. You know how he's seeing a couple of you know, potential touchdowns in it. So he's already off to the right off to you know, the right start for this week. So sitting down and talking to him, man, it was everything I thought it would be. He was, you know, various, sightful, you know, vibe Prince Smith and just very confident.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: The one thing I can say Peter is that he really believes in himself. He believes and what he can.
Speaker 2: Do the past first, mentality run second.
Speaker 3: And I'm pretty sure that the guys around him, you know, as far as the receivers appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think DJ Moore and Keenan Allen and Realm Dunes they are lining up for the Chicago Bears and Kayleb Williams. When you get to Washington, as Jayden Daniels, you're looking around. Mclaurin's great, but it's not guys who are going to the Hall of Fame or winning All pros or anything. A lot of that's on his shoulders, and yet it doesn't seem to affect him. These guys, he's making them better, he's elevating them. You get the sense that he's a leader and he's bringing the best ot of all these other guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's when you know the quarterback gets it and understands it. And then I go back to my first couple of years in Atlanta, man, when I had Sean Jefferson and I had Brian Finneran and Algie Trump. I mean, these wasn't superstar receivers. Or Sean was in his trunk season and you know Brin was, you know, six ' five and ran a four four six inspector Brian Finnering, great player, he know, he one of my favorites all time. He know that, so he'll know. But you know, it was all about, you know, the ball distribution. It was all about playing together, believing in one another. Most important, being on the same page. You know, you can accomplish a lot, you know, just by having an understanding of what you want to get accomplished, playing and play out. But everybody's got to be on the same pages. So that those guys they get together, they you know, they they have their own little meetings, uh privately to make sure that they all on the same page and to make sure that you know, when the ball is snapped, everybody know what they're going and they can get the job done.
Speaker 1: When when these young quarterbacks come in, I said this started African Americans wor there could be an a young quarterback when they come in, we get four or five every year. It's fine. In the last decade or so, you've been doing the media stuff you've been out of football. Who's been the young quarterback that has proactively reached out to you or has wanted to create a relationship or has shown you that respect where the you know, Okay, you've done this, You've been there, and I'm going to look to you for some guidance, but also kind of throw your flowers because we grew up you were the guy.
Speaker 2: And they all reach out when they need to. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: They all reach out, you know, whether whether it's Kylo, whether there's CJ. You know those they all reach out. You know what I'm saying. They all reach out for advice if they needed. Most of the time, they have people in the corner man who really appreciate you know, you know, the the try hard, They appreciate them. You know what I'm saying, want to you know, be the best that they can be. And you know, my door is always open. You know when I when I meet those guys as that I passed my number along to them. I passed it to him for a reason. He texts me call me when that way they need And for the most part, man, they're having one conversation with him, like, oh, I can instant tell he's gonna be okay, he's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: He might need some work, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: They all just so open and they all want the knowledge, and they also appreciative that we all try to reach out to him and make him better.
Speaker 1: Did you give your number to Jade and Daniels?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gave my number to Jay and the quarterback I got to talk to the most lately over the last couple of weeks, two or three times. But our long conversations just trying to get on the same page. And most of the time we had these conversations, it might be a little frustration, but Shador, Shador saying, go on, there's some good conversations. Shador coming into the season and she doors are thinking, he's very smart, you know, a very unique way of thinking that and he understands the.
Speaker 2: Quarterback position.
Speaker 3: So so confident in hisself that you know, he might get put hisself in the he might overthink things, you know, for the bet, and so you know, there's more conversations about you know, trusting himself, trusting his coach, you know, playing within the system.
Speaker 2: And he's looking really good right now. Man. I text him, you know, last week because I try not to be on the line and trying to you know, hit them.
Speaker 3: When I see the product, when I see the progress, I know why they have the problem. It's not because of me. It's because you know, they listening to the people around. They might have took maybe one or two tibbits and the things. And I said, but you know, when I got to when I have to talk to him and tell him what's really happening, I do, and hopefully should door appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Man, he's playing some good football right there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We had Daniel Jeremiah, who's the NFL Networks draft guy on last week. He said, I know it's early and season, give us a taste. Who who the guys. And he's like, Travis Hunter and Shador might both go top picks, Like that's how good both of those are.
Speaker 2: They might go back to back.
Speaker 1: They might go one too, dude, they might they might they won't playing together.
Speaker 3: I was about to say that they won't be on the team. But at least, you know, those guys are enjoying college football right now. It look like they have fun. It was a moment where it seemed a little stressful for the Colorado teams as a whole. But man, when you got smart people in the building and people get it, I understand, you usually get it, right, do you.
Speaker 1: I know Warren sapp is now with dionn and I know you've done like the Spring League, and you've done some other things as far as like coaching goes in a voluntary role. Do you ever think about a full time coaching job? Did that ever come across your your your table and something that you would think about doing?
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's always it's always a thought, man, because I have so many camps and be around so many kids and seven or seven tournaments that i'd be doing, and you know, so it's always a thought that I would love to be with this kid every day to help them out and watch and progress and you know, help them grow, you know, through the good in the bad.
Speaker 2: So it's always a thought.
Speaker 3: But then then I think about, man, the opportunity that we got the seats that we have.
Speaker 2: Man, I like, yeah, I like what I do now too. Man. So you know, I've I've always been torn in between coaching.
Speaker 3: Full time and you know and other you know what I'm saying, other, you know, opportunities that that might come my way and that I've had a couple.
Speaker 2: But I just I can't. I can't. I can't do it, man, I know I know what that entails. And when you dive into coaching when you haven't, you got to go, man, you got to.
Speaker 3: I don't necessarily after playing a lot of years in the league. Man, I don't want to leave my family the way you know I had to when I played the sacrifice. You know, you know, maybe when i'm you know, years lay down the road. Man, who knows what can happened?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: So this movie comes out last week on Amazon. It's the number one movie on Amazon. I don't know all the algorithms. I don't know what that even means. I just know that a lot of people are watching it, and your name is attached to it. And I remember, Michael, I think it was three years ago you and I were talking about this project. And now it comes to fruition. It's called the Evolution of the Black Quarterback. It hits streaming and it's number one, and it's great. But there was a lot of work and a lot of ups and downs that went into this. Can you take us into the creation of the idea and then actually seeing it to the finish line, which I am not wrong? Right, three years even working.
Speaker 2: On this thing. Yeah, that's accurate.
Speaker 3: The one thing that I've been telling everybody, And you know, we discussed it last week and we you know, y'all congratulated me on and I appreciate y'all so much, man for acknowledging the work.
Speaker 2: And we all work hard in our own right, man.
Speaker 3: We you know, we worked for Foxes, you know, full time, you know, saying the good GMF is is full time, and you know, we got to put a lot into it. But we also try to dabble into things that we also think could be efficient or useful or purposeful and in other ways. And you know, I learned that, you know, you got to you got to convince people one that things, certain things make sense and too nobody's don't believe in a vision like you, and you gotta work on to make people believe and and and that's part of it. That's that's so fair. I learned that, and so you know, I wanted to gain credibility. I wanted the game and trust.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: The origin of it was people. You always come to me and say, Mike, you changed the game, you revolutionized the position.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: It was you wouldn't see dam you wouldn't see Kyler, you wouldn't see such such if it wasn't for you. And I'd be like, well, have you ever seen Donovan Man play? Have you ever seen Steve McNair, Chylie Wooden? This generation that was always Noah, you no, yeah, But I'm like, no, man, hell let's let's let's be by with history a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know. My favorite player was Steve Young growing.
Speaker 3: Up, and you know, I had like I had to look at somebody who who played like me.
Speaker 2: You know, obviously him being left handed, it really helped him being a runner.
Speaker 3: I was so intrigued by that. And then I had cut of hand mooning different styles. I was like, man, you know what, Man, I want to talk about this man, but I'm but you know what, I'm gonna take it back because I felt like the NFL has grown so much over the years. Man, I feel like an I institute and you know, the opportunities that we get man allow us to do so much man and grow as people.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, man, every every organization entity.
Speaker 3: Was like guys, man, we you know, the world will be a better place because we were constantly growing.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to show that part.
Speaker 3: I wanted to show the greatness of the quarterbacks that came before me and I couldn't take credit for it was really changing the game of revolutionary.
Speaker 1: I love this because it's your opportunity to say, yeah, I know I was at that time, and when you grew up, maybe was, and I knew I broke through with commercials and with video games and Madden. It all was a perfect storm. But you're like, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. We have to we have to show respect to Charlie Ward first, because Charlie Ward went into Notre Dame and beat Notre Dame and I'm sorry he lost to Notre Dame, but it was one of the best games ever.
Speaker 2: Like you, you.
Speaker 1: Was like, this is my this is my burden, this is my responsibility to now instead of just accepting the praise. Let me give back and kind of show give this back to the game and give those guys their flowers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what I've been telling everybody, what I said at the premiere, was that in twenty twenty four, Doug Williams, Charlie Wood, Shaq Harris, you know, all these guys are first round picks, you know what I'm saying. So that shows the avenues, that shows the change in the progress. I'm like, all these guys you just watched, they had to go to Canada, had to do that. That's not today's game, that's not today's time. We don't live in that world anymore. So I was just excited to highlight that man because I lived it. I know what the league meant to meet. I know what the locker room with his brotherhood means to me. And I know what the fans mean to us when they acknowledge and they see us coming together and going all out and trying to entertain as best we can.
Speaker 1: I mean, you look at in the fact that Warren Moon had to go to Canada, despite breaking all those records in college and being had to go to Canada first and win Great Cups and have a whole career in Canada, before he could even start his Houston Oilers career. You look at Charlie Ward. I know he wanted to be a basketball player, but the fact that he wasn't a first round pick anyway in the NBA, it is kind of my boggling because both of those players different styles. Of course, both those players were be first round picks, no doubt in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Right, And I'm growing up boxing these guys because I'm playing quarterback and I'm feeling like them, just like stuck between the rock and the hotspot as a you know, thirteen fourteen.
Speaker 2: Year old kid.
Speaker 3: I'm like, man, i gotta change my position because if I continue to play quarterback, I'm not gonna be drafted. It's gonna be a waste of years and I'm gonna be sad. Man, I don't know what I'm gonna do. What I did know that I wanted to make it in criminology. You know, I wanted to be in the FBI, so I had a backup plan. But you know it was man my coaches over the years who was mentors who pushed me to continue, you know, just play quarterback. But I'm watching everything closely, because I wanted to know, like, look, man, if I'm gonna put my all into playing quarterback, I at least wanted to get drafted in like the fifth or the sixth or the seventh round.
Speaker 2: I just I want, I just want to shot.
Speaker 3: And then and then the nineteen ninety nine draft happened when when Andy to Donovan number two, and I was like, man, and then you know, and then that whole draft for Kelly Smith, Codante Cole Pep, I was like, hold on, man, I think the league changing. Man, I think it's been a little paradigm shift. So I was so excited so much to me, and I always talked to Amy about that and told him what that meant to me. And uh, you know, now I get a chance to tell the world and hopefully hopefully this project, man, people see this and they just just bring us all closer together.
Speaker 2: Man, that's what I want.
Speaker 1: Who were the actual quarterbacks that you physically sat down with for this project. I know there was a couple, obviously, I know that a lot of people participated, But who did you travel to go sit down with.
Speaker 3: I traveled to see Dak, I traveled to see Russell, I traveled to see Warren.
Speaker 2: I traveled to see Doug. I traveled to see Charlie Shack. Who else? Man? I traveled to see Colin Kaepernick.
Speaker 3: Kapp was graceful, graceful enough to you know, blesseds with his presence, and that was really cool.
Speaker 2: Man. I know, missing on a lot of guys, man, But yeah, I travel to see everybody.
Speaker 3: I travel to see all those guys and sitting down with him and and uh, it's it's to a point now where the storys are so intriguing. And now I got a lot of young quarterbacks called him like, man, when you go do a part two? So yeah, we're gonna do a part two. But it probably consists more of, you know, the teaching of the game. I want to you know, break down film with those guys, you know what I'm saying, Probably the younger generation see how much they know about the game. You know, maybe a couple more general managers and owners getting their perspective, you know, just on the game now and where it's going, where it's headed. Just some cool stories, many cool moments and in our profession that I think people are enjoy. So maybe a part two could potentially be you know, with Jamie Daniels and still didn't get Kyler and wanted to include RG three and you know, and a lot of them guys. You know, budgets are real. Budgets are real. So I didn't control the budget. So I want to circle back and get those guys, man, and uh, you know, certainly get them an opportunity to to you know, to pay homage.
Speaker 1: I know other quarterbacks that are in the documentary. Patrick Mahomes makes an appearance. Jalen hurts, Oh yeah, how did I forget these?
Speaker 2: I tried.
Speaker 3: I traveled to see Patrick, travel to see cam and travel to see Jay.
Speaker 2: Man. I want I just wanted it to be a moment. Man.
Speaker 3: I look forward to more of those moments because sit down with Jaden yesterday was it brought me back and it was just really cool. And I wish I could. I wish I could sit down with every quarterback in the need. I wish I could sit down with j Justin Herbert.
Speaker 1: I wish I could.
Speaker 3: But you know what, it's all based on playing, you know, you know, but uh, you know, I will, I will circle the wagon to get through those guys, man, just because now for me, it's more and so about the football journey.
Speaker 2: How they all became quarterbacks. So I be sort intriguing their stories. It's really cool.
Speaker 1: If one common bond between you and Mahomes is Andy Reid. We see Andy Reid, big jovial, loving guy that you know obviously is now a super Bowl champion three times over.
Speaker 2: The whole deal.
Speaker 1: They've won and everything's great, and he's going for this three feet the man Andy Reid and what he's meant to so many of you. I know when you were in your darkest hour, Andy Reid was there. Tell tell the listeners just what Andy Reid means to you as a as a player but also as a human being.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Andy meant a lot to me. I start with Andy.
Speaker 3: The how what he meant to me as a player first, because I think it's the more profound effect to what he meant to me as a man.
Speaker 2: As a player. He just made me better.
Speaker 3: He just the knowledge that I've attained before him, he just enhanced it. I listened to everything that he ever said in terms of football, try to and try to do it to the best of my ability. I knew what I had learned before him. You know, I could only get better and I will say this. I was always and I told Donald this, I was always jealous of Donovan because he had Andy and he they was going to end up the championship games. And I'm watching the film when I was with the Falcons, and I'm like, God, leave, they do a lot. Man, This dude know what he doing and it was just it was just non stop me and they got too and they just was going crazy.
Speaker 2: And he didn't have Toyo.
Speaker 3: I just knew he was a good football coach from from the time I was young, and you know, obviously never being able to beat him in the Grovisional Round or the NFC Championship, and you know, it was always fun and competitive.
Speaker 2: But you know, once I got to me, he made men better quarterback.
Speaker 3: And then Andy the man was even even better because he was the only coach. I not the only coach, but as I'm mature, he was the coach. I used to go sit in his office and talk. They called me up just to have a conversation, and you know, I put myself in his seat. If I was a coach, I would do the same. I would call my players to the office and have a little one on one check in with them see what's going on, things that that are important, and uh, you know they know a lot about us, more than what we think they know, especially at those times. And so it was moments where he gave me amazing advice. You know, probably used to correct the ninety percent of the time ten percent I did it, probably failed in some.
Speaker 2: Other area in life.
Speaker 3: And you know, the moments that we probably would laugh about now and cool stories. But I never forget man the type of man. He is a great sense of human he has. One time, my wife, who was he was going through some tough times, you know, with her family, and and uh, you know, I was just exhausted, man, and you know, trying to try to play football and trying to be the best person that I could be as far as you know, the supporter.
Speaker 2: You know, my wife is going through some difficult times losing family lost and family member, and I remember I just I broke down crying. I had no I had nothing left, you know what I'm saying. I got trying to be strong for her. I broke down crying and laying on the couch and I'm just nobody to talk to.
Speaker 3: You know, one of my doctor's moments because she she's in a dark place and that's nothing I could do to help her. And my phone bring is Andy, and Andy, you know, I pick up.
Speaker 2: You know, I.
Speaker 3: Started crying even worse because now I really need somebody to talk to. But I can't really talk. I can't get the words out.
Speaker 2: Peter.
Speaker 3: By the time we got off that phone, Man, this man had me laughing so hard. Man Like he just I needed him so much in that moment. Man, he and it's just the type of person he is. He made me feel so much better about my about life and just what I believed in. And we went through some tough times together as well. And so and that's the moment I never forget, man, because uh you know, it shows this chartter it's true character. And so it don't surprise me they having the success that they have. You in Kansas City. I'm so happy that he got his rings. I was just thinking of it.
Speaker 2: Damn. I wish he could have got won in Philly.
Speaker 1: Not I agree, even if with me, if.
Speaker 3: It was just one you know what I'm saying, just for the fan base, But but Philly ended up getting there, so it was just all good.
Speaker 2: They got it.
Speaker 1: Uh well, rap, sure they just want to go through some rapid fire questions about the memories of being Michael Vick in that moment and in those times of Atlanta early two thousands, Ludacris is coming out, Outcast is coming out, Ussher is on the scene, It's it's Jermaine Dupriez everything, and then there here comes this Michael Vick in the Atlanta Falcons. And I was in college at the time. You're a little bit older than me. I was in Atlanta and there might have been no bigger cultural moment than Atlanta in the early two thousands, and you were one of those main faces when you look back at that area. Just give me a snapshot of what it was like being in Atlanta during the two thousand the two thousand and five range, just when the musical scene was exploding, but also this incredible football team in Atlanta, and you know what was going on in the Georgia Dome on Sundays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Peters, it's so hard to go back to Atlanta now, man, because I love that city so much because of not just football, but those moments, man, when when I first got there and meeting everybody, get introduced to Ludaprius and getting introduced to two chains, when they getting introduced to TI and getting introduced to man, all these these people who mean so much to the culture, who mean so much to entertainment and their profession. Them accepting me one, you know, I was proud too. It added more pressient to me having to be great, you know what I'm saying. And so you know, those guys, you know, more so than anybody was if I was out.
Speaker 2: Hey, man, how things go on?
Speaker 3: Football may may make sure you're getting your rest, man, make sure you stay healthy.
Speaker 2: Make sure they cared about me genuinely, you know what I'm saying. They wanted me to. They knew. Look and entertainment world is one thing, but man, you need to be getting rest.
Speaker 3: You need to be putting off of us on Sunday, on Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays and Jesus come along, man. And it's just the games was amazing. The games was like like playing a football game in front of the club, outside of the club, man, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like it's that, it's like it's electric, we having fun, it's music.
Speaker 3: And man, it was a lot of pressure too, because I mean, when you got all your boys in there.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 3: You can't slack, man, You got it. You gotta be on your A games. So just amazing moments in time, man. And that's why I said it's hard to go back to Atlanta, because I relived those moments.
Speaker 2: It was so much. It's just it's tough, but I still love to go back.
Speaker 1: You had this great rivalry with your cousin Aaron Brooks, who was with the Saints, and I remember I would go to all those Falcons games. I would, you know, pay for tickets. I'd go with all my friends from college. We would go to like probably six or eight Falcons home games a year when you were there. We loved watching you. And then one time I'm sitting in the fraternity house and I get a message on my phone and it's a recorded message from Michael Vick and.
Speaker 2: You probably didn't know.
Speaker 1: It's Hey, I'm playing my cousin Aaron Brooks this weekend and the Saints are coming to town and we need you in the building, please please, And I was like, this is the rivalry. And it wasn't treated the same as Cowboys Eagles on the national scale, or even forty nine Ers cowboys on the national scale. But my gosh, those those Aaron Brooks Michael Vick here is probably a little window in time, probably two three years.
Speaker 2: Like that was real three years.
Speaker 3: And I really didn't know what that raval meant at the time, because you know it was enhanced because of my cousin being on the other side and you know, a little cousin want to be big cousin, and that that part of it was always always came into play.
Speaker 2: And it was just good games.
Speaker 3: I remember some of the best crowd and the loudest, the Georgia jhomers up was was ever you know, I guess Mark was in those times like a Sparts decib me to like I'm talking about rowdy, rowdy, you know.
Speaker 2: And and so those fans they didn't like me, man, they didn't like me.
Speaker 3: The one time I got in trouble when I when it wasn't no social media and I tried my biggest mistakes and off fan was was not a Falcons fan. It was Saturday say it was the Saints man, but that's how rowdy was. That was the rivalry man and they beat us. But that was post that was post Aaron. That was the start of the Drew Brees ear and so he I knew when Drew came man, I was like, yeah, in trouble, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Aaron was tough to deal with.
Speaker 3: But Drew and Sean came in at the same time, and it was like, Yo, nah, they can't take this robbery from They can't.
Speaker 2: They can't take this over.
Speaker 3: So but man, good moments. Man, good moments is sports and certain games. I never forget for sure.
Speaker 2: All Right.
Speaker 1: Two amazing commercials that are forever in my head, the Michael Vick experience. When you're on the roller coaster. Do you remember getting pitched that whole project and take us through the formation of that commercial, what brand it was for, and then when you actually filmed it and then saw it actually come to life. It was probably the most popular commercial of the two thousands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was a Nike commercial.
Speaker 3: And I never forget to you. I was like, man, I need something more urban in this, Like what this is a commercial for kids? And hid it's like thinking about it now, Yes, that's what you was trying to do. You was trying to appeal to the kids and the next generation. You're trying to give them the Michael Vick experience. That's what it was all about, Like what are you missing? And so like back then, I was just always in my own head, always wanted things to be my way, and.
Speaker 2: It goes.
Speaker 3: It goes to show that the people around me probably the best, because that commercials stood and test the time, is still one of the top commercials in football to this day, and I appreciate it more now than.
Speaker 2: I did back then.
Speaker 3: So shut out the Nike for making that, you know, one of the top commercials in that era and believing in me, you know what I'm saying that to put it out there.
Speaker 2: So I didn't like it. But man, when you were.
Speaker 1: Filming that, they take it to like Stone Mountain Local six Flags, and you're like, you know, actually getting in Like what was the process of like actually filming that commercial.
Speaker 3: So I think we filmed that out in the Word now by Nike's campus, Yeah, on the Nike campus, And I remember Phil Knight was there, Bill Keller was there, And for some reason when I used to see Phil man, I used to feel like I just said, but I created Nike, you know, perk U blow yeah, man, because I always wanted to make a proud you always wanted to I appreciate it the Nike so much, and then I'm giving me a whole line of the shoes like the vict you know, the whole vic line was. You know, we was able to create create four shoes, different shoes and four different styles of pleats and that it was on the fifth one and it was like, man, they believe, they truly believed in me, so that the respect was always there.
Speaker 1: When you saw I'm as sending you watch that Matt Damon ben Affleck movie air, like did you see yourself in them Michael Jordan's shoes where he was kind of the same deal where they're going to build a line around me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So when I first started my shoe line, it was like, Okay, brings some shoes in and you want to pattern your shoe after and I.
Speaker 2: Pulled out like six pairs of Jordan's. They was like, oh, yeah, this is what you want to do. So, you know, Shout out of the East got more was my shoe priod at the time.
Speaker 3: He was over Nike, and he uh like he took those shoes, man, and he he took six shoes and he drew like three hundred pitches like he would come up with like three hundred sketches and we'll break him down three hundred, two hundred, two hundred to one hundred hundreds. The shoe process and making a shoe was so fun, man, so intriguing. P I I fell in love with that line more than anything that was that I was doing. I think that was one of my biggest downfalls because you know, did.
Speaker 1: You get upset with the shoe culture, like that's what you were?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wassessed with the shoe culture and obsessed with just having my own sicknasure line. It's like what athlete has its own shoe lining?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: So even then, as privileged as I was, man like, I felt like I should have, you know, appreciated that a little bit more and that you know, sometimes you have things that come to you and things that you are given opportunities where you got to say, I got to, you know, one, be on my best behavior too. I got to think myself through a lot of situations because you know, I'm wonder this, this puts.
Speaker 2: Me up under the public eye and it's a pedestal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a lot of responsibility that comes along with having all of this, you know, and so you know, it's hindsight now, but you know, my attitude of my thinking was at twenty four was the way it was at thirty four and out of the church and things a lot more. And so you know, it's something I can preach to the Shadors and the James and the guys who are coming into the league who are going to obtain all these things at some point. Protected man, God blessed you, and you want to be able to talk to the next generation ten fifteen years from now and let them.
Speaker 1: Know how to hold on to my last question, I'll never forge get Monday Night football. Chip Kelly's now the new coach of the Eagles, and Robert Griffin is the hottest name in sports. He comes out, he is carrying a flag running out of the thing, and you guys came in there and just absolutely destroyed them. You Sean Jackson, Chip had the game plan laid out, take us through that week one Monday night game Eagles versus Redskins, and.
Speaker 2: Peter you always bring out the coolest moments. Many Let me let me look. I g three, my boy. I'm on the doorst part in a couple in a couple of weeks and Igie three, he the home.
Speaker 3: Well, I gotta tell you this story too, and me and me and Agi talked about this because I took it the wrong way.
Speaker 2: So four before that, I was I finished the season, I was hurt on.
Speaker 3: And just a long story long, I'm on injury reserve, and the Ramskins came in and would watch Commanders.
Speaker 2: They came in and beat us. They knocked us all beat as good.
Speaker 3: After the game, as he came to me and he was like, man, I wish he was out there today.
Speaker 2: And I was like, yeah, man, me too.
Speaker 3: But I kind of took it as you know, as a competitor, you always and also he respects I look at it, yeah, some type. But he was like, I wish he was out there. And later on that night, I'm like, what do you mean about that? He wished I was out there? I mean he wanted to go toe to toe with me, and you know, quarterback and quarterback. I'm like, you know what next year, you know, I have my shot. We get they scheduled Washington first. I'm like, okay, Ge said he wanted you know, he wish I was out there. He went and so like in the Jordan moment, I psyched myself up in my head.
Speaker 2: And this what he wanted.
Speaker 3: He wanted to be a twelve year veteran. I'm a little older. He young, and he doing this thing and I'm like, okay, and I just show up and show out. So you know, Chip, we we was running that new offense. It was fast paced, it was it was a great system.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I remember Lendon Fletcher coming to me before the game and saying, man, it's unfortunate that we got to play our first and we got to run into this offense first.
Speaker 2: Right then and there. I knew he was gonna be It was done right.
Speaker 1: When the best linebackers like it's unfortunate, we don't feel it's actually prepared for this.
Speaker 2: I'm like, he's scared. He got feel already. You know.
Speaker 3: We just got to go fast and then came off the flag and stuck it in the ground boom. I said, oh man, it's gonna be a long night. We gotta start fast. And I just never forget the play calling was amazing. I thought Chip was amazing. I knew I was getting old because I had a scene in that game where I broke one and I had to see him too wide open and they caught me, you.
Speaker 2: Know, time catching you a movement, not the same. It was a very competitive game.
Speaker 3: I had a chance to speak to after the game and we you know, we we had it, you know, a nice little moment. And then I mentioned it to Ig a couple of weeks, a couple of months ago, like, Bro, I remember you said that.
Speaker 2: He was like, nah, Bro, I ain't mean it like that, just that one.
Speaker 3: Just face you as an election, you know what I'm saying, Like, oh, man, I cite myself up to So it's good.
Speaker 2: It's one.
Speaker 3: When I think of that game, I think of that man. But certainly fun to play against, you know, Washington at the time. You know, long story, long story long. My grandmother was a Commander's fan. I always told myself I would never lose to Washington in my professional career because my grandmother was a command was a Commanders fan, and I never lost to him. Did you never lose to them? I never lost to them. I probably lost to everybody else, but I never lost them. So that was kind of a cool thing, man. And you know, me and my grandmother shared even when I got to the league, because my dream of playing in the NFL started with her. It started with us watching watching Washington every week because you know, growing up in Virginia, they was on every every week.
Speaker 2: That's the local game. That's what you got. You got you got the you got Washington weekend and week out. So I grew up watching Jay Straight and all those guys, so.
Speaker 1: Gary Clark and Ricky Sandys.
Speaker 2: The Posse.
Speaker 3: Uh, I mean it was too good. They was too good. So yeah, that's my you know, my football moment. But Tip Kelly was amazing. I really got a lot of respect and chipping what he's done for the game of football. How you helped me to learn learn more more offense?
Speaker 1: Cool? All right, we're gonna wrap here. This is amazing. The Jaden Daniels interview I assume airs this weekend on Fox NFL Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yep, you, sir, Joe Santos. I want to say who was Joe was on the ground. Joe was amazing, man. I'll tell you what the prep me and Joel did, Like, Joe prepped me to a point where I could just go in there and just ask the question.
Speaker 2: So he was amazing with it. That was fun working with.
Speaker 1: The producer for all those great features you see on Fox, Mike, I love you, man, You're great. You're so cruel and I appreciate you taking them time. You're a busy guy. Let's get some dinner this weekend.
Speaker 2: What do you say? Let's do it Saturday night.
Speaker 1: Saturday night, We're gonna go out. We're gonna go out hard. Let everyone knows, all right, Michael Vick. I'm gonna bring in my producer and friend, mister Aaron Wong Kaufman. I think Michael Vick is an incredible, incredible American story when you talk about the highs, the lows, and then getting back into the NFL and making the most of the opportunity. And what I take away from all this is that like he's got this great heart where he's trying to give back to the younger generation and saying, if I only knew then what I knew now, and how do I use all that information knowledge and experience Because you hear him like it's so sad that he's like, you know, I had this shoe and I couldn't even enjoy it. I couldn't even I was so obsessed with it. And then he was talking about, you know, being in all these commercials and with the and I wish I could go back now and if I knew what I knew when I was thirty four, when I was twenty four, Like there's a there's a tragic part to the whole conversation too, of just like I wish he could have just enjoyed.
Speaker 2: It all, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very introspective. And I also loved how much he how like he gave his flowers to those that came before him a lot. Like I loved him talking about, Oh, I love his backup plan with criminology. He's like I was gonna be in the FBI, Like I just had this other thing I could do, but him talking about like I was worried I would have to change my position because no black quarterbacks were getting taken. And then I saw Donovan mcnatgott yeah, and it was like, wait a minute, there's a chance that I can do.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool. I mean, it's a really good take on it. And like I know that this movie comes out and I don't know if you've seen it or not. It's on Amazon, not it whatever the thing, it's number one.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that means as far as you know, for his wallet or for his production career or anything like this. But I remember Michael Vick three years ago tell me he's like, I'm getting on a plane to go sit down with you know, Cam Newton. And I was like, okay, for what it's like this project I'm working on, and like how many athletes have like projects they're working on here. And then it came to fruition and it got like a red carpet you know, premiere and it was at the Apollo and it was a whole thing, and I just I'm so proud of him. It was like stuck with it and it's outside his comfort zone. He's not a filmmaker, and yet he played such a key role. And I from what I gather, he seems like he's really satisfied with the final product.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have not watched yet, but I'm excited too. It was one of those things that like coming out in the midst of the football season that's like, no, I'm going to like pull off some time when I can you know, set aside like an hour get into this now. But yeah, I mean it looks great, and he was, Yeah, I really enjoyed hearing him. He was great, great, and he's such a pleasure to work with.
Speaker 1: On Sundays, like it's funny you have Dan Orlowski like breaking down film of like here's x's and o's, and then over on you know CBS, like Matt Ryan is doing his thing as the next quarterback. Mike comes in and he's just like he sees things that we don't see. So he's talking about Jayden Daniels last week and he's like, I love the way how he talks to his teammates on the sideline and like that's what you're watching. He's like, Oh, that's that's what I see. He's like, I see the fact that he just go right to the bench and put his head in a towel, like he's over there and he's talking. I'm like, every one of these star quarterbacks has their own personal experiences, and for Michael Vicktt's so it's so unique because he was such a breakthrough athlete and such a cultural icon.
Speaker 4: And yet you also you hear him talk. He even said in the interview like what he what he what the game meant to him? And then he said, and what the locker room meant to me?
Speaker 1: And what that brotherhood meant me.
Speaker 4: So it makes sense that he would be the one who's like, oh, I see Kyler going off, and then he goes and he's talking to Marvin on the sideline and he's like getting him hyped up, and yeah, it was great observation and he just yeah, sounds like he looks at it a really interesting way.
Speaker 1: It's cool. Another great podcast episode, and we are happy to be sponsored and presented by Uber Eats. We are fans of uber Eats. I got an Uber eats iced coffee. Okay, so I do the Good Morning Football Show Aaron, and when I go out to LA which I did Monday and Tuesday, we start the show. I'm in there at three am, so we're not kidding. At three am it's so early. It's it's absurd, it's it's so early. But I need an iced coffee, as you see here, I'm holding one here. I need a nice coffee to do anything. But I don't like making ice coffee. If you make an iced coffee, you have to use a coffee maker, which they have. They got some great coffee maker there at NFL Network. But then you have to it's hot coffee. Then we need to do you put it to a fridge, but then you put ice in after the fact. It's all I like having an iced coffee that's just presented to me. I don't know how it's made.
Speaker 2: I don't know how it is.
Speaker 1: Someone does something and it's just it's there. So it's like three in the morning and I'm like, I'm not awake yet and there's diet coke and like that. That just sounds like a toxic way to start your day, to have like.
Speaker 2: Just soda in you.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, I'm gonna uber eat a Starbucks the second it opens. There's a Starbucks that opens in Inglewood at like five am. I'm like, I'm gonna uber eats one of those. So I talked to one of the production coordinators. Great guy, I'm like if I Uber is like, i'llubre eeds it for you, Like no, no, no, no, no no, I will do it, and he's like, let me do it. Within ten minutes, Uber Eats had an iced coffee presented to me. And I was having the best show in the world on Monday, talking about Derrick Henry and talking about Lamar Jackson and going big on Jaden and I think I would have been dead if I didn't have that iced coffee. I don't personally see a dime from uber eats. I am just telling you this is an amazing innovation in our lexicon right now. And if you're waking up at three am and you can get a coffee at five am, the second Starbucks opens and they don't deliver, but someone else does that delivering results. And the season with Peter Scheger is delivering results and well, presented by uber eats, and I give a war out each week titled It's time for Delivering Results presented by Uber Eats, and this week's winner is Derrick Henry, thirty years old. Slow out of the gates first two weeks, exploded against Dallas in week three and then a week four, I had the most rushing yards ever by a Ravens running back in a game with one hundred and ninety nine, and then he had an eighty seven yard run to really set the tone. And I think everyone's back in on Baltimore. They have now won two straight games. They're two and two, they're right and high. They look good, and Derek Henry looks as happier and as spry as he's ever looked before. I would say that Derek Henry is just getting started and he is just starting to deliver and deliver results. And that was delivering results presented at uber eats, where you can get the best deals on game day food all season long and dice coffee. Uber Eats is the official on demand delivery partner of the NFL.
Speaker 2: Order.
Speaker 1: Now, all right, Week five Jets go to London to play the undefeated Vikings and Sam Darnold, their former quarterback Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Let's see how it goes.
Speaker 1: Big Minnesota talk last night. We're not going to do politics here, but a lot of a lot of references to Minneapolis and Minnesota and that vice presidential debate. And I'm thinking about the skull Vikings, whether this is the year they break through. We'll see. My mind is in football till next week. We'll have another product coming shortly. We enjoyed a conversation we have with someone else. We're going to pop that up on the feed. But thank you to Michael Vick, thank you to Jason English, thank you to Aaron wan Kaufman. Thank you to all the folks who helped with this together. Let's keep it rolling. Michael Vick tremendous guest this week. So appreciate his time, and we so appreciate you listening. The Season with Peter Schrager is a production of the NFL and partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.