Speaker 1: Keith, thanks for joining the Sox Machine podcast again.
Speaker 2: Mid season special edition usually have you on beforehand to discuss prospects. But now we have number one overall pick, and I'm thinking that so much has changed since the White Sox won the draft lottery, mostly for the good. I remember seeing you at the winter meetings and thinking like, all right, we have something to hang the summer on, some summer programming, some excitement. Rock Chulowski looks pretty close to a lock for the number one overall pick, or at least like a clear favorite.
Speaker 1: The White Sox might.
Speaker 2: Be another ninety loss season, if not one hundred lost season. The system needs a sure thing. This is perfect and now smash cut to July. The White Sox are in first place. They have a lot of infielders now and laws is you know, he's still up top. He's on top of your list, but there's some murkiness up top with directions the White Sox can go.
Speaker 1: But ultimately this is a good thing, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think they're in a good position. I just published a new ranking day before we're recording this, and I still had Schilawski at one. But I went back and forth a lot between him and Von Lackey, and I may still switch them before the draft. I think Chilawski is a little bit more of a sure thing. Lackey might actually be the higher upside pick. And what I keep hearing is that Chilaski is in their mix, but he is not their top choice. It's either Lackey or high school shortstop Grady Emerson, and I think some of that is just their preferences, them seeing players in a different way now than they had previously because of the work that Ryan Fuller and Paul Yannish and others have done with a lot of their hitters. Right, they saved Colson Montgomery and Jacob Gonzalz. I'd say they saved both of those careers. Both guys were well on their way to being first round busts and have now turned into in the case of Montgomery, a big leaguer. There's at least going to stick around in some role. And I am really optimistic about Gonzales. So I think as the White Sox sort of got into it and looked at these three hitters in particular, they felt like maybe Lackey and or emersoner guys, they are a better equipped to help bet or equiped to work with than they would be with chilhows Q.
Speaker 2: And how should you think like the success of this season changes or should change the calculus up top in terms of not needing a sure thing, perhaps being able to take a pick with more upside and a pick with a longer development track because they do have guys who can play shortstop immediately and.
Speaker 3: Just the way it typically works out in the draft, if you're picking very high and just sitting aside the pitchers, and this year doesn't really have a one to one type pitcher anyway, you're going to be mostly looking at shortstops. So regardless of whether you have a truly established shortstop. You know, I look at Montgomery, what he's at a really good year. If you had told me last April he was going to turn to this, I would have laughed. He striking out almost fifty percent of the time in triple A. That said, you can do better. It's entirely possible. Like if they take Rock Shaalowski, he ends up a better option to churse up and pushes Montgomery to another position. So I also don't think one. I just think you take the best player, period, regardless of what else you have, but also close to Montgomery is not no Bobby Wit Junior where you're saying, oh, we're not going to get any better than this, Yeah you might. Actually Montgomery is still punching out at a pretty high rate, you know, And this is still only about a year of the sort of new version of Montgomery with your pros and cons. Again, he is going to stick around as a big leaguer, but he's not a superstar. And you pick first, you want to try to get a superstar. And I don't think this year's strong start to the season should really change their philosophy. When you pick first, you got to get the best guy. I think when teams try to get too cute and try to play the money, try to move things around. You can do that even starting a pick too, but at pick one, I think you got to go nail it. And you can just see even just in the last couple of drafts, examples of teams trying to get creative at one Pittsburgh with Henry Davis, Cleveland with Travis Bizana and not getting the best player in the draft when you had them all, they were all right there in front of you, and he ended up with the wrong guy.
Speaker 2: The discussion around Schlawski and just having kind of a an okay season by his standards and not making the leap that maybe he was supposed to have his junior year reminds me a little bit in terms of like tenor based on White Sox experience of Carlos Redon in twenty fourteen and how he didn't quite make the most of his junior year and it allowed the Astros went Brady aikin number one high school pitcher, Marlin's won a high.
Speaker 1: School pitcher with Tyler Kollak.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the Astro situation worked out because they didn't sign Ach and they got Alex Bregman the following year with that pick, so they were able to back.
Speaker 1: Out of it.
Speaker 2: But when it comes to prospect fatigue and maybe just over analyzing somebody too much because they were on this platform of being the expected number one pick before the season, how much are the White Sox or White Sox people watching the White Sox at risk of doing that to themselves.
Speaker 3: That maybe happening with Julowski. I do think, Look, he plays in the Big ten. It's not the SEC, it's not the ACC, it's not even the Big twelve. This is not a premium conference. He's not facing premium competition, and so you can still be the best player in the draft facing less than top tier competition, but you got to destroy it. You got to absolutely destroy and he didn't. He didn't. He had a very good year. But if he is the hitter that he's supposed to be, then yeah, he would have. He would have had a better season, he would have produced better, and the underlying data would have been better also, Right, it's not just performance this kid. This has come up a couple of times recently, people asking me about certain players who performed really well or maybe didn't perform that well this year year. But remember, teams are they're looking at performance, but they're also looking under the hood for a hitter. They're looking at things like the range of eximplocities, the launch angles, the hard hit rates, the barrel rates, and so on to give them confidence that that player will be able to perform, whether it's improving or sustaining when they once switched to wood bats. Still the hardest thing of all of this, evaluating hitters. But then also by the time you get to at least to double a you're facing better pitching. If you go from the SEC to High A, you ought to rake. It's not that much better. The big difference between SEC and hias are playing six times a week instead of three or four. But by the time you get to double A, you are most nights facing better pitching than what you were going to see on the in the typical SEC game. And so to me get just to take this back to Chilawski, though, I think his issue is that everything just stayed steady and that could have been good enough. But Von Lackey had a real breakout season. And Emerson is a different story because we don't have a ton of data and he went to play for a tiny religious school. He wanted to play for Rusty Greer as his head coach, so the competition he faced the spring was just kind of lousy. So I think a lot of this was just after last summer. It's like, that is the best high school hitter in the draft, great swing, hit well against the best quality pitching. He was the guy when no one else could hit. He was the guy who's still hitting. He just sort of gets elevated to the top. And if you believe he's got that sort of Kevin McGonagall hit tool around him, then yeah, he should be in consideration at one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was curious about Emerson just thinking about the last time there was a preseason number one who kind of went wired a wire with Atlie Rutchman.
Speaker 3: Elie Rutchman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and then Bobby Wood Junior went number two. And obviously what we know now about Bobby Wood Junior, it's maybe.
Speaker 1: Hard to unwind that and think back to his.
Speaker 2: Pure prospect state of where he was. But in terms of the gap from going from say, like you know, obviously if the Orioles took wits number one and let Rutchman go, there might have been some consternation at the time, but probably would have proved them correct and.
Speaker 1: They're fine either way. But in terms of like the gap between.
Speaker 2: Chilawski and Emerson and such like, where is Emerson based on what you can tell against competition he's faced against Chilawski, against Lackey in that conversation, given just the the less information.
Speaker 3: I have him below those guys I actually have below Tyler Bell too from Kentucky where I'm the high guy. But I look at Bell and I mean that guy played the whole year with one shoulder and still in an unbelievable season. He did do it in the SEC facing the best competition. He's not in consideration at once. It's not worth spending much time talking about him. But to me, the difference is I don't have the degree of confidence that Emerson is the next Kevin McGonagall. And by the way, I saw Kevin McGonagall in high school, he played about forty minutes for me. They actually came down. He played about ten minutes for me, and I thought he's a good player. He's definitely a first rounder. And I think I had him like twenty to twenty five on my board, So I didn't know at the time he was this good. And I saw Emerson in the spring and I thought maybe. I guess it's really hard to tell what the level of competition he was facing. He wasn't quite as successful on the showcases as McGonagall. Was not so much a criticism of Emerson as it is just McGonagle that good at the time. But then I also look, you know, if everything goes well for Emerson three years from now, is he rock Shallowski? Is he better than Rock Shallowski? It's possible, but I would not bet a substantial amount of money on it, say the eleven million dollars of the first pick, right, could I do? I think Emerson ends up three years from now better than Chelawski or Lackey. I feel a lot more confident knowing what those college players are. This is one of those situations where going to the college route means certainty probability. I understand college guys fail, but we know a lot more about them, and we're not waiting so much on physical or emotional development that I've ever heard, never heard a bad word about Emerson's character, making more of a broad statement a twenty one year old versus an eighteen year old.
Speaker 2: It's funny though, with the White Sox, just how much has changed. And that's we're talking about the White Sox maybe drafting a position player and you're saying, yeah, do it just because Colson Montgomery, because of Caleb Bonnomer making huge rides. And every time Bonnomer has like a cold week, he realized, well, he is twenty, he's in double.
Speaker 3: As, he's really young and from Michigan. Right, this guy didn't come from Alabama or Florida, or Georgia or California, where he was facing much better competition on a regular basis. It was Michigan where I don't know if he was in one of those leagues. There's leagues in Michigan where they play three balls and two strikes, so it is not the same thing. Howard, my husband fell at a construction site. I knew it wasn't safe.
Speaker 1: It ain't in law.
Speaker 3: We're one of the largest filers of workers' compensation claims in the state.
Speaker 1: If you've been hurt on the job.
Speaker 3: In a car accident or suffered a medical mistake, call three one, two six million.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Yeah, I don't think he played.
Speaker 2: At least he did enough showcase the whey that didn't come up as a criticism like, oh, we don't know how he works counts he has ever to them. And when it comes to like the you know, beyond the first pick, you mentioned that, you know, there's no points in getting cute with the money and trying to save money or disperse it for picks down the line. But in terms of like going from second round on, where is the depth, where do you think the White Sox can maybe go especially early on since they do have the first pick of every round after that.
Speaker 3: So the depth of this draft is actually in high school pitching, which of course my least favorite category, but I will say so the White Sox second pick is forty one. At that point take the high school picture where not the risk at that point has been mitigated. The point of not taking high school pictures high is don't take them in the top twenty five thirty because in almost every draft there will be better options on the board once you consider the higher risk involved in taking the best high school pictures. Because the best high school pictures often the guys who throw super hard, they don't work out as often as the other categories, either because they simply don't progress or because they get hurt by the time you get to forty one. If you think the best guy's high school pitcher, absolutely take him. That may very well be the route that they go, particularly given their history. They've tended to like taking project pitchers, particularly if there's a lefty out there with a low slot, and I feel like a lot of guys are going to that low slot, low release height, get a high vert on your fastball. That's kind of on trend right now. They could also go to the high school position player route. They've been tied a bunch to landin Toomai for obvious reasons, not the least which is a local kid, and they took Janfowski off the same high school team last year. I actually don't know if Tommy gets to forty one, but if he were still on the board at that point, wouldn't surprise me at all and it would be a valid selection. This would not be a NEPO pick. Yeah, yeah, No, I think he actually does deserve to go there, And by all accounts, he made a lot of strides in the last twelve months, worked a lot, he got stronger, he's driving the ball better. He just looks a lot different. Year ago, he looked like he'll be a good college player. He's nowhere near as physically developed as he is now where you feel like you could send him out to pro ball and he'll be able to handle that.
Speaker 2: Then, when it comes to the top pick, in the discussion around it is you're talking to the White Sox as you're talking to other teams, trying to figure out the White Sox are going to do, how or what is the level of certainty or uncertainty like compared to other years. Is it a normal level of chatter and possibilities or is it teams really concerned about like needing all routes available.
Speaker 3: So I feel like last year the Nats were at least in rumors, still looking at more guys. Now, of course, the Nats had just fired their GM slash president a week earlier, so that complicated thing.
Speaker 1: Chris Gott seems safe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he's okay. Yeah, I think he's okay. I think he's more than okay. So last year there was definitely more uncertainty, and I knew all along will It's was a possibility, but I didn't know he was going to be the pick until really when it was made. The year earlier was Cleveland was first, and it was four names and Bisign it seemed likely but again not a lock. And I feel like that's kind of where we are now. It's I think it's three names. I don't think there's another name in there. I think it's Emerson Lackey Chilawski. It's not Jackson Flora the picture at Santa Barbara. It's not Jacob Lombard, which was a rumor at one point, and I think they toyed around with the idea he is way too raw as a hitter, you just you can't take that risk at the first overall pick. There's a spot for that, it's just not first. So for us to be nine days out and they've got three names, and I feel some degree of confidence that I think, I actually think Chilawski is thirtieth of three on that list. But that's probably a little more info than I would typically have on the first pick at this juncture, just based on the last couple of years where it often wasn't clear at all until draft day or even until the pick was me.
Speaker 2: So to wrap this up, the question that's on everybody's mind given that how often it could change the snapshot this window. We're talking right now now, who do you have number one? And what's the level of certainty you place in terms of percentage on that pick.
Speaker 3: If I were producing a mock right now, and I'll do another one on Monday, but I haven't started it yet, so this is just as talking for now, I would go Emerson forty five percent, trying to make sure of my math works out on this, Lackey thirty five percent, Rock twenty percent. I believe that gets me to one hundred. Yes, I don't think it's anybody else. And I don't think any of those guys is a giant discount either. So if White Sox fans are worried, oh, they're going to go cheap, I don't think that would be a realistic thing anyway, that the White Sex have done that in the past. But I think these are all going to be guys who'll signed for slightly underslot at one, which seems to be the norm and gives them a little room to play around at subsequent picks. But they are not. This isn't going about going for a discount. I very much believe they are trying to decide who they think is actually the best player. You can make a good argument for all three of those guys.
Speaker 2: And the fun thing is you're given your reputation for hating every single team with the White Sox picking number one. It's really hard to say between those three guys that Keith Law hates any of them, because you said they're all valid, and they're all there, like when you're on record saying that they could go in any direction and it would be fine.
Speaker 3: So I tried, I tried to hate it. I just can't. I can't get there, man, yeah.
Speaker 2: Bring yourself to do it. And like you've turned around on Jacob Gonzalez.
Speaker 1: And then as soon as you.
Speaker 2: Wrote that article on Jacob Gonzalez, he goes over twenty eight right. I thought like this is uh, you know, Keithlaw hates the White Sox. Now the White Sox hate Keith Laws.
Speaker 1: Full circle.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, it was so nice to talk to. Now I'm like, God, they put the whammy on him.
Speaker 1: I think he puts the whammy on himself.
Speaker 3: That's might be true.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I always appreciate your time and look forward to, uh seeing how it unfolds my pleasure