Speaker 1: Boody who. This is George with a very special announcement. First of all, my debut stand up comedy special is coming out officially on December second. It will be available to rent or purchase on Amazon and Apple and various other websites. But that is not what I'm here to announce, because it is not available yet. I am merely saying that because I wanted to tell everyone that I am having a big special release show at the Bellhouse in Brooklyn, New York on December third. That is the day after the special comes out, So come to the Bellhouse, come celebrate. It will be a big show. It'll be like a George and Friends style show with some extra special guests and surprises. And if you buy tickets now then you won't have to buy them later when I announced the lineup publicly, so you heard it here. First, Bellhouse, December third, Special Release Georgian Friends show. And then the second thing is that Sam and I are doing a sort of last minute kind of industry adjacent show, a special edition Stradio Lab Live at on Air Fest in Los Angeles on November eleventh. It is a podcast festival and there are a few tickets set aside for sort of the ga general admission crowd. If you don't professionally work in podcasting, you can still see us do our thing. So in conclusion, come to my special release show at the Bellhouse in Brooklyn on December third, and if you're in LA come see us at on AirFest on November eleventh. The tickets for that are on the Bellhouse website, on my link tree on the Stradia lablink tree. Honey, if you look for them, y'all find them. Enjoy The showcast starts now.
Speaker 2: Hello all, we are coming at you bi coastally once again. Our New York records have officially ended. We did six weeks of New York recordings.
Speaker 1: We did six weeks of New York recordings. And now you know, also, I have to say those recordings were recorded during such an optimistic time. We were both in such good moods. We were frolicking around various food trucks in the Dumbo, Brooklyn area. It was pretty much still summer in the sense that it was, you know, September. Yeah, and now I am first of all, let's get this out of the way. I'm sick. It's okay, you don't have semi flowers, but it is what it is. I have what is known in the medical community as brain fog. It is absolutely kicking my ass. I'm taking fifteen minutes to complete one sentence. So that's one thing. Drop that down. Second thing. It is a gloomy New York day. I would say the light that is reflected on my face is the color gray.
Speaker 2: I have to say. I still follow like a New York weather account, and it like every day like says like ten out of ten, like Sonny and seventy five, and today it was like two out of ten. Torrential downpours, miserable energy, avoid at all costs, And I was like, I really want to come back to New York and I really forget, Like I'm like scared for that moment when you're like, damn, today is just miserable. There's no way around it.
Speaker 1: You know what though it is, however, there is something so almost there's this sort of joy and the self flagellation of just being like I can't do anything. I'm basically Sylvia Plath, and I'm gonna sit here and just sort of sink deeper and deeper into my couch and just be depressed doing emails I'm gonna make tea, but then forget the tea bag and the tea thing and then have one sip and be like this is absolutely disgusting, and then throw it out and be like, you know what I should get into tea? Finally, I can't keep only drinking tea that's from the grocery store. But it's like, that is such a high bar to entry. So then of course you start googling tea. Next thing, you know, you have seventeen tabs open, and you're like, I wonder what my ex is up to, and then you go on his Instagram, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: No, I think, what's so at least in New York when you're when it's cloudy slash rainy and you're in a bad mood, and you're like, well, of course I'm gonna mood bad moods cloudy slash rainy today. I'm let's let's be upfront. I'm in a horrible mood for seemingly. I guess the reason is because I slept badly and it's sunny and about eighty five degrees outside. I simply have no excuse. I was mad that it was too sunny. I was mad that it was nice out, and I'm like, now this has to stop. You can't. The way that La is turning me against sunny summary weather is shocking.
Speaker 1: I used to because because yes, well exactly, because what Ela does is infuse sunny summary weather with a sort of like grim film noir element. It's like, it's like did you It's very like David Lynch, It's like, did you know that actually when it's sunny, that's because there's darkness in the world and this is hiding it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really really bleak.
Speaker 1: And I'm glad you mentioned being in a bad mood because we are honestly both in pretty terrible moods today. And I'm feeling that there's a there's a part of me that wants to address each of our bad moods or for me to be like what's wrong, Like is everything okay? Blah blah blah. But I'm kind of like, put your own mask on first. I'm literally like I can't think of anyone else's bad mood except except my own.
Speaker 2: Well, and I just want to add to what's going on with me? Is this so this will come out after Halloween so I can say this now and it won't be a spoiler, which why are to be a spoiler? Who do I think I am? But for Halloween, Misha and I've decided. First we were like, we're gonna be Ham and Mitch. How funny. I bought a red wig, I got red dye from my and I'm growing my beard. Misha's got like a contrast cuff flowed shirt. Oh yeah, and so we're like, okay, that's so fun. And then we put the costumes on roughly and I was like, wait, I kind of just like a normal guy in a red wig, of course. And then it's like, okay, wait. We were talking to some people and they were like, what if you're sexy Camon Mitch? And I'm like, now that's funny. And so I was like, okay, so it's the same costume but like with like soft garters on and like maybe like playing boxers on.
Speaker 1: It's really good, but.
Speaker 2: Still like sweater and like v nex sweater and collared shirt up top for me. And but then I've been on various websites all morning. I can't find st Garters for the life of me. They they they don't have, like there are none in Los Angeles that I can find and Amazon sorry is not delivering until Saturday.
Speaker 1: You know. This is of course when those things where my instinct is to google it and think I'm gonna find it in two seconds, and it's like, no, you're smart, you've tried. You've tried what I'm about to try.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, there is like I could like look up like men's suiting stores and like call them and be like do you have these? But it feels like such a niche product at this point, or like even like I'm like sex stores, Like I'm like, has it just gone into full kink wear where like the sock garter for men?
Speaker 1: But I don't you think so. I mean, I understand the desire for a sock garter, but there are other ways to make a costume sexy, Like I think if you can't find one, you will find other ways to pull off the iconic costume sexy.
Speaker 2: Cam and Mitch, of course, it's just a SoC guard would really sell it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you gonna have a lily?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Because we wanted to have like, you know, we're going to a house party first, so we were like, oh, we should like bring a bottle of something wrapped up in a baby blanket. But then we were worried that people would like, if we posted a picture of us as Cam and Mitch with a baby, they would think it was a baby innouncement, right I do.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that many people would think that, but I respect it. I was more thinking that you were worried that like libs of TikTok would pick it up and then it would be like, look, these these gays think that having a child is kink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's true. I mean, you're right, and I should let go of the salt garter, but I really committed to it in my mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I get it, and it is the perfect way to make It's the perfect way for something to be kinky while also gesturing at preppy dad, which is basically what you're trying to do with them with your Mitch costume. Yeah that's really good though, and I mean Mitch is a little more challenging. But Cam, if you have one of those contrast cuff shirts, it's like so immediately clear what you're being.
Speaker 2: I was honestly like jealous that got to be Cam, and then I was like, we're both Cam, and then I like no one of us has to be match.
Speaker 1: It would be really funny if you.
Speaker 2: Were nine of one thousand cams.
Speaker 1: So basically, this is a call an episode, and we are having disagreements about which calls to.
Speaker 2: Take, huge disagreements.
Speaker 1: Huge disagreements to the point where I was actually like, we have to start recording otherwise we'll get into a fight.
Speaker 2: And it's kind of this ever happens to us.
Speaker 1: I know it was a real I mean, I think this has to do with both of us are not feeling great and are sleep deprived. I'm not going to get into it, but when you mentioned sleep problems, I wanted to also talk about how I've been having insane insomnia. Like last night, I watched after we had watched TV and went to bed by myself. I watched five episodes of thirty Rock just in bed in the dark, like with my laptop there, which usually would put me to sleep, and I was just eyes wide open, staring into my screen. And this has not been happening for like a week. I'm just like being up until four am, not being able to fall asleep, and I think it's stress related and and I don't know. Also the like travel over the summer didn't help, but I'm I'm so tired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: We I'm gonna I like the idea of sort of reading through we have. We get so many calls and I want everyone to know that there are I put them. We put them all in a spreadsheet. Then we like, based on our whims that day, we highlight them that we think are good. That we end up doing whatever we feel like in the moment. There are questions that keep getting asked over and over again, and we are not sure if we've ever answered them.
Speaker 4: We are.
Speaker 1: It also depends on our mood. Sometimes we want to do more advicey questions. Sometimes we want to do pop culture questions. Sometimes we want to do more like conceptual questions. What are the ones that we're sticking out to you?
Speaker 2: I wonder I was preferring the ones that were sort of like either like very open ended pop culture. I think I don't like when it feels like a quiz. Yeah, And I also don't like when I feel like I have to like speak from huge authority, because sometimes say I find that to be like, I'm yeah, but I was liking the open ended pop culture ones, which just like, what are your thoughts? On this, and I was also liking sort of the like maybe options, like I have I have a choice. I can either do this or this, Which should I do? Like that was really speaking to me because I was like, it feels easiest, not that not that it's all about ease. I'm just sort of like that was what was speaking to me. We was speaking to you.
Speaker 1: So here's what I think. Maybe this is a crutch I'm falling on, but I think people generally like recommendation culture. Right now, I have mixed feelings about how every single thing now is like so and so is five favorite skin care product, so and so is five favorite movies, things you can't live without, Like that like questionnaire that people do on Instagram that's like things things Amanda Seifried loves and things Amanda Siphreid hates, uh huh, or like the perfectly imperfect newsletter where it's like all people recommending things and you have to do two things that are specific and then one thing that's like the feeling after a rain when you have a burger, and you have to like be just of Carrie Bradshaw enough about it and be like like things you don't like compulsory child are airing or whatever, and I and I think that adds enough structure. Like, for example, we got a question that was like, what is the last truly perfect movie you watched? And I was like, Oh, that's fun because I can It's limiting enough that I can go back through the movies I watched recently and just like pick a few. And then you were like, why would anyone want to listen to me talk about how I thought one battle after another is good? Everyone think it's good.
Speaker 2: Well, I was like, I'm not like reinventing the wheel here, Like I was kind of like you could like to me, and all respects to that caller, but I was like the perfect what I think is the perfect movie that I watched?
Speaker 1: Like a perfect movie.
Speaker 2: To me? I was like, like, it's I also think I'm sort of like maybe I don't believe in I think for some reason, the phrasing of the question of like what is a perfect movie you watched is like stressing me out because it invites like people to be like you thought that was perfect?
Speaker 1: Like don't you love just recklessly having an opinion?
Speaker 2: And maybe part of it is like I don't think I've ever thought any movie was perfect, like like it's a wonderful life maybe, but I bet you could trim a couple of mens, like like, I'm just sort of like nothing's perfect.
Speaker 1: No, that's tea I was. I recently randomly watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers for the first time, the one with like Donald Sutherland, and I guess I would say I had low expectations, but I was like, this is someone else, you know, Matthew put it on. I was like, all right, I guess we'll watch it. And then by the end, I was like having such a good time and it was like so simple and not trying to have like a million twists and turns and like really well shot in this sort of fun seventies like paranoia way. And I also recently watched in the Mood for Love for the first time, and so those were gonna be my two sorry, not interesting, and then the other and then wait, so you you were drawn to? You were drawn to for example, what celeb or what popstar right now has the gay men, gay women and straight women in a choke hold?
Speaker 2: Well? And I thought the call behind that was very smart when I read through it, a bit like.
Speaker 1: Well, let's maybe do how about we do our first how about we do our first call and start there and then get the wheels turn in.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, I sayim and George. My name is Casey. I'm calling from Massachusetts. My husband and I went to your Summerville show.
Speaker 6: We loved it.
Speaker 5: He was really not too familiar with your work until then, but he laughed the whole time, and I'll just say he was particularly charmed by Sam.
Speaker 1: My question for you is interesting.
Speaker 5: This is a Lily Allen breakup album happening right now. It's amazing, incredible. What was your perception of their relationship pre breakup and now with this album post breakup? Did you I'm curious what the gay community thought, particularly of David Harbor during his height of like people loving this sad dad thing and now knowing what we know now, have things changed at all? Thanks for your thoughts and your amazing.
Speaker 2: Podcast by well, what can you say? Straight guys love me?
Speaker 1: It was such an interesting choice to include in a call that you know that had it all. It was complimentary. You're building up to a great relevant question to want to immediately create a rift between us by saying your straight husband liked Sam Moore.
Speaker 2: I mean this is there is a toxic desire among all to pit gay podcasters against each other.
Speaker 1: It's so the phrasing of and I'll.
Speaker 2: Just say, don't just say, don't say he was.
Speaker 1: Especially charmed by Sam. Why would you just say that?
Speaker 2: Why would you say that?
Speaker 1: Someone recently commented on a on one of our clips with Adam Friedlanden was like, it's my duty to say. I was like, no, it's not. Shut the hell up, shut up, Go okay, what do you to? Obviously, David Harbor is so comically your type that it is even a cliche to bring him up.
Speaker 2: So David Harper is a huge sex symbol in the Barrack community. It is not just me, of course, that finds him hot. It is anyone who finds Bear. He's like on Bear fan pages constantly, and it's like very interesting for the Bears. I don't think this is gonna make a splash. I think everyone will still want to have sex with him. For the general public, I'm interested in how you feel, George about will people like turn on him?
Speaker 1: You know, I am so confused about where we are as a like mainstream, sort of straight leaning culture on men and women right now. And I'm saying that in complete earnestness, like there is I believe this very kind of predictable but grim backlash against it started out as being a backlash against quote unquote girl boss culture, which I hate to use a word that has never literally meant anything. Literally. It is something that from the beginning was a punch line that the book girl Boss by Sophia Marusso came out and immediately was a punchline. This idea that we have in retrospect that at one point we were in the girl Boss era and now we're not is stupid and only people who write for digital media believe it, So wake the fuck up and be an adult. So anyway, first it started as a backlash against girl boss culture, which is in its own way completely like veiled misogyny and sexism. Then it became a backlash in an even more dark way against like me too, because of course like people were like very confused how to act, and so then you know, you suddenly had like the random Babe dot net article about Azaz, which everyone felt weird about blah, and so then every the water's got muddied so much that basically anytime, anytime a woman speaks now she sort of is like not quite trusted. Would you agree?
Speaker 2: I would agree. I think we're in a really complicated spot. And this particular drama is interesting too because it's like both new and old. Yes, it's like sort of a cheating scandal, which is classic vintage. She's not necessarily saying like he abused me. She's saying like he was like a horrible partner and we've had a miserable couple of years, and that makes it old. But then it's new because it's like, well, we were open, so it wasn't like fully illegal, and like it was just like he broke the rules of our open agreement.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So there's something very very now about it. Yeah, and there's also something very sorry, aging millennial about it. Like it is so Lily Allen is such a classic millennial voice, and you know, I hate to talk about generations. Yeah, but you just have to, like she is. She is someone who could only be the exact age she is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: So when we were talking about like the status of Data Harbor, I'm like, I don't think the quote unquote cancelation of a man has the same uh weight that it did in like twenty eighteen, twenty nine. Yeah, but at the same time, this album is clearly making a big impact. Yeah, but in my world, I'm seeing it more as like you go girl, Lily Allen, than like David Harbor is an asshole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's you go girl.
Speaker 1: It's like it's almost beside the point who he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like interesting. It adds a level of intrigue that it's someone famous that we all can just like recognize instantly. But it's not. It doesn't it's not the whole story. It is more like you did that thing, you got out of there, and your body looks amazing. I do feel like that's we're not talking about that. That that's part of the album. Roll out is like her being like and also, look at how my body looks amazing.
Speaker 1: No. Yes, she's almost leaning into this sort of imperfect victim narrative in a way that I actually find kind of fun because Lilyana Lily Allen is an insane.
Speaker 2: Person, always has been.
Speaker 1: Lily Allen is not like some innocent, you know wifey who like was so optimistic about this relationship and she's always been looking for love and then she got her heart broken like Lily Allen is a psycho.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's a bad girl.
Speaker 1: She is a bad girl. She's a psycho. She's done insane things in the past. She I would say, like partially owns it. Like I think, for example, she she's openly being like, well, I was the bad person in my previous marriage, so like I was able to relate to him whatever. But then she hasn't quote unquote owned some of the other insane shit she has said, you know, over the year. She's very much a classic like celeb who is on social media, whether it's podcasting, whether it's the whole stunt sheeted where she like ran her own only feet or whatever.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, sure, is that what that website's called Wiki.
Speaker 1: Feet not only fee.
Speaker 2: I mean, I am impressed with the whole album in general. I think if we're just talking about broad broadly, I'm sort of like I think we had we talked about how like it's both like very interesting and you're like the first few listens you're like, wow, this is great, and then you were saying that you like kind of feel gross.
Speaker 1: Now well I find oh wait, sorry. One more thing about David Harber is that he has a sort of evil looking face. Yeah, And I actually sort of think part of his appeal is this kind of villainous energy. And so I think, if anything, in terms of my attraction to him, for example, this album is not making me less attracted to him or making him less of a desirable object if you are prone to be attracted to him. If anything, I'm like, Wow, it's so hot that he had a bag of dildos or whatever she accused him of having.
Speaker 2: Yeah, butt plugs and stuff in the lube, and I'm literally like, wait, were you using them on yourself? Wait?
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, wait wait wait wait yeah, I e lube. So wait, sorry, but you asked me a question. Oh yes. I feel like there is something about the entire album, the entire album being about the same thing. And I know that it has a narrative arc to some extent, but honestly, it's mostly that every song is about the same thing. And you know what, it almost feels like it almost feels like being waterboarded with like pornography. Like it reminded me of the Goonerer article where it was like, yes, like in small doses, it's like really cathartic to listen to Lily Allen like say, like, fuck this guy and he did this to me, and he did this to me. But to listen to that for like fifteen songs straight sort of makes you want to do something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it can feel a little. It's it's just so confessional that I'm sort of like you like you let like a recording studio here, you do.
Speaker 1: This right, And I sort of respect that she is not she's kind of avoid Well I haven't listened to the final songs that many times to remember, but I don't think she's sort of avoiding like a catharsist at the end, or like an empowerment narrative, right, Like, it's really just like you're an asshole, You're an asshole, You're an asshole, You're an asshole the end. Yeah, which I do respect, like totally. Something like something like Lemonade, while being more artful, is also more calculated and can feel too overwritten, Yeah, whereas this one really does feel like she just like put it all out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I respect that I respect to an extent.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So final thoughts on David Harbor. You know we would both still have sex with him probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, send nudes David Harbor. I will do whatever you want.
Speaker 1: And Lily Allen, it's like, you know, if nothing else, I'm like, good for you for still getting lips of flappen.
Speaker 2: I fully agree.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of like you know, I I obviously I'm holding you at arm's length and I would never want to be your close personal friend because I know you would ultimately betray me and then potentially post screenshots of our texts. But that said, you know you are kind of one of the og And I love Lily Allen when I was a teen, and as much as I am being a little mean to her, I get defensive if someone else is mean to her.
Speaker 2: Of course you've earned it.
Speaker 1: Like she's she's kind of a legend.
Speaker 2: Yeah she is.
Speaker 1: And I didn't know people cared so much about her. I was like, she's one of those people to me that I'm like, isn't it weird that I listened to Lily Allen when I was like seventeen, I am not seventeen whatever, fourteen.
Speaker 2: It's it's one of those things where I'm also surprised that everyone knows her, but I celebrate it.
Speaker 3: You Sam and George love.
Speaker 1: You girls, Love you down.
Speaker 3: Okay, my question is for stand up comedians, which you.
Speaker 1: Guys are Clockett.
Speaker 2: We're at like.
Speaker 3: A really intimate venue or any venue, I guess, and you're performing in front of someone that is just like so hot and sexy, and you're like you want to maybe fuck them? Does it like improve your performance or do you And yeah, I'm just curious what it's like behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: All right, love you, love you too. I try to remain professional for the most part, but it does distract me. I will say I do notice, like if there's someone like you know, a lot of venues, it depends on the lighting. Sometimes you can see the audience very clearly, and sometimes you can't see them at all. And when you can see someone who's like very hot and you're there's like I'm like, so, what's your deal? Like there's there's a part of me it's like, what's your deal? And I know, like you know, it's I know, nothing can happen. You know, I'm on stage and they're in the audience. That's like a barrier that can't.
Speaker 1: Be right, Like that going through your head. You're like, okay, like we could hook up now wait no, I'm on stage.
Speaker 2: Fuck, But I'm like there's something but I do have I have one story George about this where one time I was doing like my very first like solo show at the Annoyance Leader in Brooklyn, New York. And it was like a mixture of characters and stand up and I did a character then right at the beginning and I where I talked to an audience member, I picked an audience member and there was a hot person there who you know, I think I told you the story and I'll say, yes, you have you have yeah, okay, and I called on him and he immediately was like mad at me, like right at the start, mad at me. And I was like, damn, I shouldn't have called on the one person that I found hot. And it was like the first bit in the show, and it did kind of ruin it slightly.
Speaker 1: I actually think that's very you because you like giving yourself a challenge, ah, like, because you know that's not going to go as well as picking like a random ugly person. It's so classic, this classic.
Speaker 2: I was trying to have my cake and eat it too, Honestly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like when I see a hot person in the audience, this is so humiliating. But rather than thinking wow, I'm in a position of power because I'm the one with the mic and they must really like me and that's why they paid to see me. I'm thinking the exact opposite, which is I'm thinking I'm the theater kid loser on stage and this person is sitting there with her arms crossed, being like the hell does this like idiot have to say, Like I'm going to go to football practice after Like, I revert back to the high school damage realm. You're you're the hot person and I'm like the loser that is trying a draft of my art project on stage. Wow, So I'm not. I don't love when there are hot people that I can see from stage, and it does not in any way turn me on. What I do enjoy is a hot person potentially talking to me afterwards and complimenting the show, potentially sitting in the back so I don't see them as I'm performing, and then coming up to me afterwards. I you know, I I'll enjoy that. Yeah, that's and that's that's why we do it.
Speaker 2: That's why we do it, folks.
Speaker 1: So wait, I want to just quickly say one of the ones we disagreed on is what is a piece of media we loved in our youth that we now hate. And I want to say, get ready because this is a shocking thing to say. I tried rewatching Austin Powers recently and really could not get into it. You already crazy such a bit.
Speaker 2: You knew that would hurt my feelings, and I to hurt my feelings.
Speaker 1: I almost want to try again because I think maybe I was in a bad mood. And then the other one, which I think I've talked about before, is the movie rat Race. I have a memory of loving and I watched it recently. Just stonefaced. Mmm.
Speaker 4: Hey, my name's Jeff and my name's Connor. Long time gay guys, first time callers.
Speaker 7: We're calling today because of a debate that is absolutely tearing our friends group apart.
Speaker 4: We want to know is Lord a gay pop diva.
Speaker 7: I think Lord is absolutely a gay pop diva, but I think she's not there yet.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: We agree that Charlie Mariah Resa, for example, are gay pop difas, and we.
Speaker 7: Also agree that Dua Lipa Pink and Atlant morsett as.
Speaker 4: We have all kinds of arguments either way, but we don't want to give them to you because we want to sway your decision. But if we keep talking about this, our friends are going to kill us. So we need to call in professional help from the girls. So please respond.
Speaker 7: We need this debate suttle.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, Diva and soon Hi.
Speaker 2: Love you Diva, Love you divas. This is so interesting, you know it's it's I'm feeling a little bit like when someone tells you who they are, believe them, and I'm like, so you think du A Lipa is not a gay pop diva and I'm supposed to sort of listen to your rankings. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. If she's not a gay pop diva, then what is she a pop singer?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm sorry, but this is like, you know, this is like, however, how everyone is over using iconic and legend and blah blah blah. I was you know what my pet thieves is like when people are like, happy birthday to this New York darling, It's like, what the hell are you talking about? That is? Jason? Yeah, so I like du A Liipa, but you know, give her she's still cooking.
Speaker 2: I couldn't disagree more. I'm like dou A Lipa like with future nostalgia alone. I think she like has made an impact, is so big and is so specifically like for like the gay community.
Speaker 1: Listen, I love dou A Lipa. I need more vulnerability if I'm gonna call her a gay pop diva. The whole point of being a gay pop diva is that you are. You have this narrative of being the underdog and then persevering you have gone through and I understand.
Speaker 2: Does give vulnerability.
Speaker 1: Well, she's Australian and she had cancer. Did how about you check yourself?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm not seeing vulnerable from her. I'm seeing perfection.
Speaker 1: Listen. Ah, okay, hold on. So you're saying you don't trust the people that made this call because they don't think dou A Lipa is a gay.
Speaker 2: A gay pop diva, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But that actually doesn't really answer their question, which you know, anyone can ask whether or not you agree with your opinions or not, which is lord of a gay pop diva? I hate this, by the way, this is an example of a question you like and I don't like.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, why don't you like it?
Speaker 1: Because it I have because it it damns us into being like chatty gay guys.
Speaker 2: But that's what we are. I know, it's one part of us. We have a multifaceted personality.
Speaker 1: Is Lord a gay pop diva?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think I kind of think. See the thing is, I think you have to like consent to being a gay pop diva, like, and I don't know if she's consenting to that. I think that, Like, I think that's sort of what what I'm talking about with like dua lipa honestly is like she's like, I think she kind of considers herself a gay pop diva, like and Lord is sort of being like Lord thinks she's the Strokes. She's not, but she thinks she is. And so that to me, like seeing her call answer in Vegas famously was to die for let's start there. But she really wants to be like I'm a I'm a like I'm just like you. Like I'm like, yes, I'm up here, Yes I write these songs, but I'm merely a reflection of you. And I'm like, I don't see myself as larger than life. I see myself as life. And so I'm like, I think I don't I think no, because she doesn't think yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: I would say, I would say I'm sorry to this group chat. I would say self, evidently no is the correct answer. I just don't think that is what she is striving to be or accomplishing being. And I also think part of the gay pop diva thing is obviously overcoming adversity and at some point being an underdog and being crucified by the media whatever. But then another part of it is being kind of like difficult and having literally diva bea. I mean, that is why Mariah Carey is a diva. That is why beyond uh Madonna is a diva, Like that's the whole. And Beyonce, I'm not not to say she's difficult and that she's like like treats people poorly, but difficult in the sense that she's famously particular and is like always with the laptop and like calling the shots and like you gotta have some of that energy. And I'm not I think the pure joy of a dua lipa or the pure like emoness of a lord is not quite there. Like you got to sort of combine it all and come out and be and become like share, sure, share, But that doesn't.
Speaker 2: Mean gay guys don't like lord, it just means yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess I'm even like, is what gay pop diva? Maybe you know what, I'm being so old fashioned. I'm kind of being old gay guy that is at the gay bar and is like reminiscing about the eighties. Like, to me, a gay pop diva is a very specific thing. I don't even think Charlie is a gay pop diva, and I'm not saying that as a nock to her. I love Charlie, but I think you need it's a specific thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that is. I think to fully answer this question, we would have to define what is a gay pop diva, because I think that's where the disagreement is coming in, is that we have not defined the term.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say that a gay pop diva is kind of dangerously close to the definition of a glamour girl, which is someone who is glamorous, wounded and seeking truth.
Speaker 2: But there's the added definition of like and also is known for belting totally.
Speaker 1: Oh that's true. Yeah, Like, does a gay pop diva need to be a vocalist? I would argue probably yes.
Speaker 2: I would argue probably yes, whereas maybe a gay pop girlye.
Speaker 1: That Wow, that's a really good point. And in fact, I actually do think that's why the phrase gay pop girly was sort of on the rise, is because there was a crop of these gurly that were not quite diva status yet and.
Speaker 2: They don't want to be like they they don't they're not looking to be.
Speaker 1: And also, you know, I gotta say there is an age element to the diva thing too, Like I'm a little bit like graduating towards diva status means, oh, you're about to age into Vegas residency.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, right right.
Speaker 1: It is too early. Even if Lord was going for a Mariah thing, which she obviously is not, it is too early to graduate her into diva.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Diva is your masters that's right.
Speaker 1: And you know or PhD. We Curly is your master, Curly is your mass. Diva is your PhD.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're just pop singer, you're you have a bachelor's. Yeah. Yeah, and I do think do It for the Record has a master's.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you can agree.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, she might be what she might be doing her PhD. You know, when you do a PhD, part of it is getting a master's. Like anyone who gets a PhD also gets some masters, so I think Dua is on the PhD track potentially. But she's presented her master's season. Everyone's saying, this is promising. Can't wait to see how you make it into you know, your monogram monogram monograph.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So since we're talking about the podcast, when we make the podcast, I have to say, see, that's why I like questions like that. Oh shot, What you're forgetting is that we will put the pop star diva question through our lens and we make it our own.
Speaker 1: Whereas you think if I were to ask you what is a piece of media you love in your youth that you now hate? Nothing would come out of that conversation. It would be very straightforward, and your answer would just be titanic George.
Speaker 2: When I say, when I say, my answer would be well nothing, because I respect the child that I was and the journey that I had.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go.
Speaker 2: That's not a fun answer. Oh that's a that's a void the question.
Speaker 8: Hey, good guys, calling from Miami. Yeah, yeah, you're je No. I know, I know nobody likes Maammy, but my question I should out to questions protein proteins everywhere, and I think we haven't really heard from you guys about protein and if it's gay or or what. I think it's straight in an obvious way, but you guys always come up with new perspectives and as where we listen and then yeah, never mind, that's gonna be my only question.
Speaker 9: Bye.
Speaker 4: I love you guys.
Speaker 3: Keep doing great work saving the world.
Speaker 1: Something I love about gay guys is myself included is that they will be giving you a straightforward compliment, but the tone of voice is like, but I could change my mind at any second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's comforting. It keeps me in line.
Speaker 1: Is protein gay or straight?
Speaker 2: This is so complex because I like protein is everywhare Like we all know this. This is not a hot take. It is just like like when there's protein cold foam at Starbucks, Like you have to take a step back. I mean for me, I'm literally being like, okay, then what is protein? Like where are they getting all this stuff? What mine is this coming from? I guess I have no understanding what protein is. If you can just put it in anything, I find it like it's there's like a curve or something where it's like I think ten years ago, protein was very straight and it was like the stereotype of like the guy with the jug of creatine powder and that's like the only food he has in his kitchen, and it's like the straightest guy in the world.
Speaker 1: And then like muscle milk, muscle milk, Like muscle milk is such a classic kind of straight phrase, straight combination.
Speaker 2: Yes, and even the branding of musclemilk it was very masculine, and there was something like where it was like this is for straight guys, this this whole system, and now it's turning into like like again Starbucks cold foam with protein, and I'm like, it's becoming queer, and for yoga girl.
Speaker 1: It's becoming feminized. I mean basically what happened with protein, just on a literal level, Sorry to absolutely blow the alarm on this, is that the way capitalism works is that one market was cornered fully all men were into protein, so then they were like, how do we expand this market. We feminize protein and make it also for women, And then suddenly you have Goop and Gwyneth Paltrow promoting cottage cheese pancakes and Starbucks cold foam that's advertised by some brain dead influencer and you know you have like I don't know, you can put proteins in your protein powder in your what's the smoothie place in La and your ear wan smoothie. That's literally what it is. Yeah, that's what happened, and you all fell for it. And where gay people come in is that there are both men and women who are gay, which is interesting, and so they are implicated in this.
Speaker 2: They are implicated in this. I will say, I still on the whole think it is actually more straight male to have the big jug of protein powder in your kitchen, but gay guys do do it well.
Speaker 1: Yes, the protein powder and the protein maxing is obviously very straight, but an attention to protein is also very like just mom Like it's kind of like following, you know what's very straight the food pyramid. Like that, like believing in and following the food pyramid and making three plates for your three boys and making sure they get their chicken and their broccoli and their rice. That is also very mom and straight. Yeah, food is complicated obviously because it is such a third rail. It's like I feel like, honestly, in a post cancel culture world, food is still the one thing I don't quite know how to talk about Yeah, because people are obsessed with pathologizing everything, either accusing you of having an eating disorder, accusing you of you know, in terms of meat, veganism, dietary restrictions, accusing you of being an ethical in any in whatever way they believe in that one moment, if you are too ethical, then suddenly you're like a blue haired leftist cuck. Yeah, so this is like I do find that nutrition wise, it is an interesting question. What is a straight versus gay outlook on nutrition? Like what do you think?
Speaker 2: Well, this is like such not to be completely insane, but I'm like, this is why we need our institutions back. Like we literally need like a standard of eating that is like so this is sort of what you should like. The food pyramid has fallen and we need to rebuild it because we need just like a like here's sort of what you should be shooting for. It's neither good nor bad. It's just average, like feel free to have some of this, have some of that, And instead it's like everyone is polarized and they're eating in ways that are insane.
Speaker 1: I know it's but again it has it goes back to marketing and moving product like, the reason all of this is happening is just so that people are so confused that they are convinced into doing whatever you know, Procter and Gamble wants them to do. There is no And by the way, if the government were to step into making new food pyramid, you know who that would be, RFK Junior.
Speaker 2: I know this is why it's not fair. We need good government. I want government issued meals.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's literally my number one dream.
Speaker 2: I would I would love that.
Speaker 1: Well, what's interesting about and also is this is a known fact that people say, you know, when they're sort of debunking the protein craze. In general, Americans on average do get enough protein. It's not one of the it's not one of the things we need more on average, and so it's a strange thing to have so much emphasis on it. To me, the reason why I became sort of obsessed with protein over the last couple of years because I was like, ooh, I'm like experimenting with working out more and it's like fun to it's I want to gain muscle. I never thought of it as something I'm doing for my general health. It was always a vanity thing, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I've heard that the next big craze is going to be fiber. Yes.
Speaker 1: No, everyone has been saying that, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: The thing gay appropriation once again.
Speaker 1: I know, No, I you know I have straight women in my life have borrowed back when I would take Pure for Men have borrowed my Pure for Men pill because they are apparently because they thought they were better than other fiberpills. I do think that's been debunked. Unfortunately. I think it's the exact same as.
Speaker 2: Any other thing. Yeah, I'm just taking them meta mucil. Now, what are you so?
Speaker 1: I have a I don't. I we need to move on. But maybe there's no time for us to actually go into this. But I'm interested in the process of something normal and conventional becoming a trend, because there are trends that are new, unique, updated things Like a trend could be, you know, tiny sunglasses. I'm not saying that's new and has just been invented, but that is something that you didn't see as much of before and now you're seeing more of. But protein is something that is so classic. It's like seeing the American flag is trending, Like it is something that is so classic that it really takes a big push to make it into a trend. Yeah, And I think maybe that's what's straight about it. Like, to me, a gay trend has to be niche that then enters the mainstream. But as straight trend, it's like the lack of imagination, you have to have to think protein is an interesting thing to promote. Yeah, it's very like Thursday Nights on NBC.
Speaker 2: Well, in that case, I love it period.
Speaker 1: How are you doing okay? Next call? Hi?
Speaker 5: Sam? Did you ever finish the Shards?
Speaker 4: And George, what are you reading?
Speaker 2: I did finish The Shards last week, two weeks ago. Uh. I really enjoyed it. I felt like it was I haven't read like a quote unquote page turner in a while, and that one I felt like a little kid again, kind of glued to the book. And I will say it didn't end as satisfyingly as I had hoped, and that's all I'll say about that. I loved everything leading up to that.
Speaker 1: Did it make you want to read more Brett Easton Ellis?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I actually did kind of like his vibe. It's my first Brett Eastnelli's book, and.
Speaker 1: It's such a hard one to start with. Because it's like, I feel like it's his longest.
Speaker 2: It was long as hell, but it hit it was juicy.
Speaker 1: I am actually rereading a book, which I'm ashamed to say I do very rarely.
Speaker 2: I have very rarely.
Speaker 1: I have this need for newness at all times, even though I really think that, you know, much like the second sip of a wine is more complex than the first ship. I think the second time you read a book often you get way more out of it than the first. But I am, no, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: I think that's great.
Speaker 1: I am rereading this book called Satn Island by Tom McCarthy. It is about it's very like my interest circa twenty fifteen when I first picked it up. It's about someone who is a corporate anthropologist. So his job is to like study human behavior for a company that then you know, sells products to them. And he was working on the Great Report, which is basically like a report on the behavior of like the entire world. But it's very sort of weird and avant garde and sort of post post post postmodern. And the reason I was inspired to reread it is because, as listeners of the podcast might know, I was rereading or I was reading for the first time this book of Zadie Smith Essays that contained this famous essay she wrote that was called like two Directions for the novel or something or two ways for the novel, And one of them was like sort of a conventional realist novel with like a bunch of different characters and different themes. And then the other one was this super weird novel called Remainder by the same author, which I've also read and I liked less, and so that inspired me to reread this book. And while we're on the topic of books, I just want to very quickly say, we got another call asking us to recommend books that are similar to The Secret History, and I guess I would say, what about Brideshead Revisited, which is kind of the og Secret History.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've never read that.
Speaker 1: And also, if you want a book set in academia, I love the book Lucky Jim by Kingsley. Amus. Next call, Next.
Speaker 2: Call I Sam and George.
Speaker 6: Last time I called in I mumbled a ton, so I'm not going to do that this time.
Speaker 1: Hamy.
Speaker 6: I have a question about miss Charlie Xux. She you know, had a great brat era, but she's pivoting into acting. She's like going to be in like twenty movies and was on SML. So I want to hear YouTube geniuses come up with like what a movie is going to win her the oscar?
Speaker 3: Like, what is the campaign?
Speaker 6: What is the role? How are we going to get her that little gold Man? Should she be the sexy step mom in a drama and she has tenants of screen time steals the show? Should she fall into a magical world Narnie style? Should she have Sandra Bullock's role in a reboot of Speed where that bus is zooming around?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I would love to know your guys, just thoughts. I love you both, fearly love from Alaska.
Speaker 1: Work it out, Wow, work it out out.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Alaska. I like this question because I'm like, I feel like Charlie as an actress. The Oscars loves someone to play against type, like people love to see like a transformation. So I think she would have to play like a dowdy mother who was like dealing with intergenerational trauma and it's like very and maybe it's even in like the Victorian era and like essentially like maybe like her son is at war and she's like thinking about him quietly for like two hours, like maybe you never even see him.
Speaker 1: So I'm sharing my screen with you, which I just remembered. So you did see me googling Mariah Carey Precious. Oh and.
Speaker 2: My browser was blocking it, so I missed it.
Speaker 1: Got it? I wanted to address that in case you had seen it. I was trying to remember what the famous like, Okay, well it ended up just googling Mariah Carey pr and it's now showing me who her publicity team is.
Speaker 2: I have been wondering, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: You know, recently, some a clip of Precious was randomly going viral on my feet and it's the clip where Precious goes to see Mariah Carey, who is playing a social worker. Now, of course, you know, there's an argument to be made that that movie is evil, and I definitely recognize that argument. However, we have to admit that every single woman in that film is giving the performance of her career, and it sucks that it's all in the service of this narrative.
Speaker 2: But it's facts, fully right, You're fully right.
Speaker 1: I mean, Monique, is that is like a generation defining If the movie was more well written, that would be a generation defining performance.
Speaker 2: Well, literally, what was going on over there? How are they all so? I know that acting over there?
Speaker 1: No, it's crazy. I mean even Mariah who famously, I mean her one movie flop, she's not you know, you wouldn't think of her as someone who has acting range. She's doing a great job Paul at Patton anyway. So I was trying to think, like, should Charlie do something that is sort of Mariah Carey? Im precious You're going more period drama. I'm going more rim like present day set movie in like in London that's about kind of like a working class community in London, and Charlie is you know, but this has not been filmed yet, and then it would take even longer to come out. So I'm just thinking about her age. She could play a mother, she could play a teacher, she could play honestly, a reporter that is reporting a big story about, you know, water pollution in the community or something like that. I like that, And then I think, in a completely different direction, I think Charlie could be then you m in James Bond, Well, yes, because I that's fun, because I think both of us are going very obvious with this question. Which is like, okay, what's an oscary role? But I think and then of course, the less imaginative thing is being like, okay, well she should play an actress or a pop star, whatever she's doing in that movie that she's writing herself. But I think if she were to do a cunty role that isn't someone in an entertainment industry, that would be fun, like a CEO, an editor in chief of a women's magazine, someone who is, you know, a weapons manufacturer. That's why I think being em and James Bond could be a real breakthrough for her.
Speaker 2: That could be a real breakthrough. Not Oscar worthy, but it would be a breakthrough. It would be fun for sure.
Speaker 1: Because I think people think people think playing against type for her would mean dressed down, but actually playing against type with her would mean not messy like super type A and buttoned up. She plays Margaret Thatcher, Yes, exactly, she should play Margaret that It's called young the Iron Lady too. No more free handouts vibes. That's the full time idle vibes.
Speaker 2: It would be like it would be about Margaret Thatcher, like when she's young, like being wronged by like people getting free stuff, and like it's sort of her villain origin story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like there was one maybe she had one experience where everyone else got free stuff and she didn't. Or it's like everyone was handing out the free government tunics and all the rest of the people's fit and hers was like too small or too big, and she was like, wow, I've always thought that a one size fits all approach doesn't work. It turns out no one should have healthcare.
Speaker 2: I think that could really work.
Speaker 9: Hey, guys, what are your thoughts on dating someone who's really hot, has good morals, votes, loves you one conditionally, but just is a little bit dumb, Like you regularly get to a world events and history, et cetera. To this person. They have plenty of other skills, but just like general knowledge is not one of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, think that feeling when general knowledge is not one of the skills.
Speaker 1: Damn for general knowledge to not be one of the skills is tough. I also I do want to kind of make a draw a line between intelligence and general knowledge. What you're describing is someone being uninformed, which in fact can be fixed and is not difficult. Like I think it can take a couple of years, but you know, you teach this person this is the morning news digest. You should read. These are a couple of books about world history. Maybe let's sit down together. You know, this is sort of like a big oaf of a man. He can barely like swing his limbs around without knocking over a picture of pink lemonade. You sit him down, You say, we're gonna watch the evening news. Yeah, so that to me is fixable. Intelligence is a tough one.
Speaker 2: Well, I was I'm torn on I wish we had an example of the intelligence because right now I'm thinking I'm more on your first statement, where it sounds like he is the total package, except like so he doesn't know like about the Revolutionary War, like and I'm sort of like, like if the other skills are like he knows how to cook, or like he knows how to like he has like a good sense of direction or something. Yeah, Like I'm like that counts too, That counts towards intelligence, Like being able to like win at trivial pursuit is not necessarily intelligence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're also saying, you know, he has good morals and he votes correctly without having general knowledge. That's emotional intelligence.
Speaker 2: To know you can't buy that. You can't you can't buy that.
Speaker 1: Like there are people that have so much general knowledge, too much in fact, and you know they are voting for insane things out there in the world. But I have to say, you know, I must admit that it would bother me if my significant other lacked general knowledge to use your terminology. So I understand where you're coming from, and I think it's something that can be taught. I am a little bit more interested in the question of genuinely if if someone is a little actually dumb, cause that is challenging.
Speaker 2: It's so specific because it's like how are you dumb? Like there are metrics in which I am dumb, But I'm like, like, I feel like if it's like sort of like if you were to tell me, like, hey, could you like take care of this child? Could you take care of my child for the day? My child is too could you take care of her for the day?
Speaker 1: You could figure it out.
Speaker 2: I'd figure it out, but I'd have a lot of questions and it wouldn't come naturally. Uh, And like like even if it was like okay, like, uh, there's a chicken in the fridge and you like my mother is coming over, Can you please prepare it a period?
Speaker 1: I'd be like, okay, well that is simply just cooking. That is I would say that falls under general knowledge.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think, yeah, I think I think there's a world in which yeah, I guess. How would you define a little dumb.
Speaker 1: I think a little dumb is, to be honest, I define it as like someone who says something that is completely uninteresting and thinks it's groundbreaking, like I think of this. So this is honestly, I think about it so often when I go home degrease, Like you talk to Greek guys and they will have this like they'll just be like.
Speaker 10: The thing with men and women is like you have to like women expect you to be romantic, but they don't know how they want you to be a romantic, Like they just think of this thing. It's like, so what you're saying is sort of like a cliche line a guy would say in a movie before the woman broke up with him.
Speaker 2: Like or.
Speaker 1: I mean, here's an example. It's like when people have really lukewarm opinions about something like cancel culture and think it's interesting, or when people are really you know, inspired by by the show the newsroom, like just like things, just like your brain is simple and so it is easy to hit the right buttons and make it go off.
Speaker 2: No, I I now that you're saying that. I know exactly what you mean, and it's it. That is tough. If it's like dumb as in like uninteresting and uninspiring, that is kind of unfortunately they like fantasy of like the dumb guy who's like so sweet and good is like not like it's like if they're like really genuinely dumb like that, like it's kind of it's over for me.
Speaker 1: And it's also I do get I would get embarrassed, like in social situations, like it's not a nice thing to admit, but like I would hate to be in the position of having to like explain myself for dating someone who is saying dumb things in this company. Yeah I've been in those Yeah, yeah, I've been in those situations. Not with my but I've been I've had friends of mine dates someone who like clearly is a dummy, and everyone this sort of has to like pause when it's their turn to speak and be like share share a little cutie.
Speaker 2: That is tough.
Speaker 1: That is really tough.
Speaker 2: I is there anything that like I was trying to think of, Like this question was make me think about our partners, and I was kind of like like, like, is there any dumbness that you overlook? Because I was thinking about like like Misha is really unaware of like internet culture like at all, and mostly that's like fine, but it will be funny to be like have you heard about this? And he's like no, And it's just sort of that thing where it's like I'm I'm I'm just like it. My role is like always explaining what is on the internet.
Speaker 1: The thing is because I have also I have that role in various not necessarily with Matthew, but with friendships I have. It's easy to take that as meaning that you are somehow smarter, but in many ways it means you are dumber, you know what I mean. Like it is it's like I mean, it depends, of course what the other person is doing instead of being on the Internet at that time. But it's like I've had to explain stupid Internet things to someone knowing that they are smarter than me and spend their time reading books rather than you know, being online. Okay, I have an answer to what is the dumb things Matthew and I overlook on one another. I hope it doesn't get mad at this. For him, it is a lack of spatial reasoning in the on a small scale, so for example, trying to make a salad in a bowl that's too that's self evidently too small, just being like, yeah, I can definitely dress this salad in like a like a bowl.
Speaker 2: That's like for Cereal, that's so funny.
Speaker 1: And then for me it's actually spatial awareness on a larger scale, which I've talked about before, which is a lack of a sense of direction. Like I really am like a little child when I'm walking around in New York City even though it's a grid, like I just am. I always have a difficult time orienting myself knowing what direction I'm going to. And I do think each of us has learned that it's not something the other person's gonna like learn, Yeah, and you just have to like be okay with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely have a horrible sense of direction, and I'm mostly I'm like inefficient in many ways in my life, like and I think Misha overlooks that, like where it's like he like cares about efficiency, like in the grocery store. He like has a plan, and I'm like, I'll get it done when I get it done, like it takes I have a different journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah. God, I'm just thinking that the top of the dumb boyfriend is really uh, there's a lot there. I also want to say, it's interesting that the two kinds of bad boyfriends are almost too dumb and too smart. Yeah, if you sort of think about it, because the too smart one is almost the stereotype of like a man that is so intellectual he becomes a misogynist, like he's so focused on his brain that he doesn't see his girlfriend as a full person yea. And then the dumb one is like so dumb that he doesn't get that he should. Like, it's like the dumb one doesn't buy a birthday gift because he's stupid. The smart one doesn't buy a birthday gift because he has some theory about like physical possessions. But both of them are ultimately not buying a birthday gift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like a really smart thing you just said.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 11: Is sama, George. I did colin earlier about time, but I'm calling back with a different theory about pop girls and I would love for two of the greatest minds of our generation to weigh in. So my friends and I were at the Chapel Roon show in LA and it got me thinking that I think a big reason that why Chapel got so big so quickly is that she had really strong appeal to the big three demographics of pop girl fandom, so that is straight women, gay guys, and gay women. And I think my friends and I were actually struggling to think of another pop girl that really has all three of these demographics to.
Speaker 4: The same extent that Chapel has.
Speaker 11: I think it's common for people to have two of the three, like Dua Lipa as an example. I think straight women and gay guys she has, but I don't think lesbians cared about du Alipa. Lord is one that we were torn on. We were I think Lord actually has had all three over the course of her career, but I don't think she's had all three at the same time. But we were really split on that one. So yeah, I just wanted to get your guys thoughts.
Speaker 4: Do you agree?
Speaker 11: Can you think of other pop girls that have all three the way that Chappel does?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 11: Love for you guys to win in all right, love you guys bye.
Speaker 2: I think this is very smart. I really like this call. I think I think the obvious one who has them all is Gaga true. I think you know who did who doesn't anymore. I think Casey Musgraves did with Golden Hour and then doesn't anymore.
Speaker 1: I have an answer that you're not gonna like, but it is objectively true. Hit me with it, Taylor Swift that it's just like we might not like it, but it is completely true that Taylor Swift has all three and has them bad. Like lesbians literally think she's gay. Straight women think they are her like, they're literally like she is writing these songs for me and we had the same exact experience growing up. And then gay men are of course like completely insane and basically like jumping off of various windows at all times. Yeah, and I just I do actually think it is an underdiscussed part of her story is that sort of despite the fact that she seems like a very specific kind of blonde woman performer, she has this near universal appeal. And of course, the thing with her brand of appeal to straight women is they will even like there's a sort of inoffensive kind of pop culture product that straight women can introduce to their boyfriends and husbands. Yeah, I think it's more challenging for them to introduce, I don't know, even something like Lord to their husbands, whereas I think Taylor Swift it reminds me of how straight men love to joke about how they watch like Love Island with their girlfriends.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: It's just it's actually like kind of the the barrier entry is low enough that they're able to kind of like hop on and understand it and do it half earnestly, half literally mocking their girlfriends and just sort of get on board. And so I think, honestly, that would be my answer.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. Beyonce I think has all three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Beyonce has all three.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of like who's close, Like I think it's interesting. I'm thinking about like Ariana Grande, and I actually think like doing Wicked is the closest she's gotten to like getting all three.
Speaker 1: That's true actually, because then it's like the whole her and Cynthia Revac connection and everyone loves her. I mean, does Demi have all three?
Speaker 2: Demi kind of might have all three.
Speaker 1: Actually might have all three, and I would even go so far as to say, okay, carry me out. Miley has all three, but it's like the niche. It's like a minority of all three. Yeah, like there are passion there's a passion memory of lesbian's, passionate minority of gay men and passionate minority of straight women.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it's not enough. We don't know it.
Speaker 1: It's not enough. And to be honest, I would even go so far as to say Pink has in her own way all three. It's just not the ones we would interact with. But I think lesbians love pink.
Speaker 2: Well, we actually got a comment somewhere that was like mad at.
Speaker 1: Us, that was like that we erased lesbian fandom.
Speaker 2: No, no, the opposite. They were like, lesbians don't love pink. Don't say that. And I was like, WHOA, Okay.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. I've known lesbians who love pink. So maybe you get your facts straight, Chica, Yeah, say Sam and George.
Speaker 11: So, my friends and I were at the Heim show in La a few days ago. We had one observation and one question. So the observation was that we were all really surprised that Alana was actually the main talker in between songs. She was like big bits and telling stories and jokes, whereas we thought that would be SD's role as like the stand up comedia in so they kind of subverted our expectations on that one. And now the question, so we have we wanted to bring back the Heimlich game. We're thinking about other bands with three women and non binary people. So of these three bands, Heim, Muna, and Boy Genius, which one is the Danielle, which one is st and which one is Alana? This might break the game, but we have our ideas of who's who. Would love to hear your take.
Speaker 5: All right, love you guys. Bye.
Speaker 2: Okay, First of all, this is the same color of the chapel roone call.
Speaker 1: Oh no is it?
Speaker 2: It's yeah? Because she said, like I just called in about him, But I have another question.
Speaker 1: Oh whiopsis?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean shout out. I think I think Muna is SD because Muna loves comedy and Muna has a podcast, and Muna has a podcast. I think you know what though, what Heim's vertical video output is nearing st levels? Oh my god, you know what I mean? Not really, but I'm listening.
Speaker 1: Wait, you don't I feel like I'm all Heim does is do vertical videos that are like various dance challenges and memes, and like they're being so silly and they're always making funny faces together and I almost think they're like outsilly ing Muna, really, is this not like so much of your feed?
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. I'm doing the very unhelpful thing of being like, don't you know, don't you know this?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm looking, I'm looking at their Instagram now is that you're talking?
Speaker 1: I just feel like it's always some It's always some dance challenge with Jimmy fallon with them.
Speaker 2: I'm like, legit, like not seeing that on their on their ig.
Speaker 1: That is shocking to me. To me, I mean, listen, maybe they maybe they've regretted their choices and have deleted the videos. To me, when I when I envisioned Heim, okay, time to me the music aside, because I like the music of all three bands. Iim is doing a vertical video dance that ends in them doing a funny face. Muna is they have a podcast and their guest is Caleb Herron and boy Genius is they're randomly dating one another. Yeah, boy Genius is like the two It's like Lucy and uh Julian are dating and then Phoebe Bridgers is dating you know, Harris Dick consider or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean I think we have to at least agree that boy Genius is Danielle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: And so the question is Alana or Muna is wait?
Speaker 1: Sorry, Alana arresty. Well, I do think in a sense, Muna is a Lana because they're like younger coded hmm, that's true, and more like they're like care free and uh music, you know, like soundtrack soundtrack to like a cool movie. Sure, sure, sure, but then that would make I'm esty. I'm telling you. Heim is going Esti mode.
Speaker 2: Okay, So him is Esti I'm okay. I mean I see what you mean. Like they're they're silly. They're like like Muna likes comedy, but like in a sort of prestige way, like.
Speaker 1: They like part of the comedy community. Muna is part of the comedy community, right, Like they've been accepted into the comedy community.
Speaker 2: Right, whereas Heime is doing comedy like like Estie would.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, I'm sorry, Sam. Go to Heim's Instagram and go on the reels. Tab you are gaslaighting me boots, well the reel and.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 1: Go to the reels, tap and tell me what you're seeing. Is every single one of them not a dance challenge.
Speaker 2: They're literally not. They're making videos, but they're I'm I'm not seeing any I'm okay, here's a dance challenge after I've scrolled. Okay, the first one's dance challenge. Okay, the fourth ones a dance challenge. I mean, they exist. I'm just saying it's not it's not as prominent as what you were saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's well, I'm looking at the rest of these. I'm loving. First of all, I love the question we got that was just dew. We like penises. I would say for me, it's a yes.
Speaker 2: It's a yes for me.
Speaker 1: I like the question. You know, we get this one a lot, which is what do you do if you hate your job? Yeah, we have answered it a lot in the past that I'm afraid that we don't have any new insights in that vein.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but listen to him's new album, but I quit.
Speaker 1: Listen to him's album. Might quit. Someone called about the content versus context binary, which I wanna this is maybe not the time for it, but I'm it's like one of my favorite things we've talked about is that we are going from an era of content to an era of context. Like what's more valuable now is not more content, it's more context because there's so much content out there that the person that's actually offering something new as a person who's able to recontextualize it. So that's fun, but it does.
Speaker 2: Get complicated when contextualization becomes content becomes content.
Speaker 1: That's the thing because then if you're, for example, if you are doing a let's say you're releasing a voter guide or let's say you're releasing a breakdown of a recent US story, you have to ask yourself, are you actually providing context or are you just creating content.
Speaker 2: My least favorite context is people that are like, did you know that in two thousand and three this happened and it caused this. I'm like okay, Like I'm sort of like, yeah, we can all pull like random things that have happened, Like what is the broader arc that you're trying to write, Like, is this like a six week course on like yeah, two thousand and three, or are you just like saying, like, isn't it crazy that this boat crashed?
Speaker 1: I know, well, what you're talking about also is very like the There's been a huge increase in celebrating anniversaries of pop culture events. It's always like today, Mark's the seventeenth anniversary of Demita Joe. I'm like, I love Dmia Joe, but I actually don't need to know about the seven teenth anniversary.
Speaker 2: That is unfortunately one of my favorite things.
Speaker 1: Where they're like.
Speaker 2: Twenty second anniversary of Blank Yeah, and I'm like, damn slow.
Speaker 1: News dash And I know that it's also like sort of like they're doing it because they want people to make fun of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Very quickly. People have been really asking your thoughts on Tyra Banks releasing hot ice cream, which is something you've always wished what happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I've always I thought ice cream was far too cold. This is a known opinion of mine, and I stand by it. That being said, do I want to be hot? Not necessarily. I've always said I want lukewarm ice cream that it still has its texture.
Speaker 1: So you don't want like a crembulet or like a.
Speaker 2: God No, if anything, the closest thing that I want is a soft cookie. Like a soft cookie to me, is the closest thing we have to warm ice cream. I see, I see, And.
Speaker 1: So don't you don't like like a panacatta or like a custardy dessert. I mean cheesecake. Okay, cheese cake, I would say, is pretty close to room temperature ice cream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's you know, You're right, You're right, it's close, but it's not exactly on the nose. And I don't know what science she's cooking up. I have not like watched the full video, even though people have sent it to me. I was just like, I don't want to support, oh, someone losing their mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, there's a whole genre of things people send to us that we just never address, and this is one of them. And I actually think that's I think there's a way to drive yourself crazy where you're like interacting with something like that and constantly being like stop sending please, we've seen it, and then you it like makes you drive yourself crazy. Honestly, one thing like that, And I want to say this publicly because we've never addressed this. The meme.
Speaker 2: Address it.
Speaker 1: The meme where there are two doors once they one says top a twink, and the other one says stop and think, and there are a lot of people lined up behind the door that says top a twink. Okay, So this is sent to us once a day. It has been happening for pretty much five years. Yeah, and I just want to say, all of we've seen it. You don't understand the frequency with which it is sent to us. This is something that is reposted by meme accounts daily, like it is something that has existed out there. Every day, someone discovers it and sends it and says, oh, there's a straight shooter if I've ever heard one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do do that, and we appreciate support. But we have seen it.
Speaker 1: We have seen it, and we think it's high hilarious.
Speaker 2: As we're wrapping up, I'm like, yes, what's your mood like right now?
Speaker 1: It's not good, But it has nothing to do with you or this recording. It has to do with like me being in a bad mood.
Speaker 2: How is your mood the same? I guess. I was like, sometimes, if I'm being honest, when we do these and we both start in bad moods, we end in amazing moods. And I was like kind of hoping for that, like take off, I know, but we will push through. And I'm coming to New York next week. We're going to start and then you're coming to LA. We're gonna do a lot of amazing records.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to pull up our straighter lab email because there were some written ones, and of course my internet is like not loading.
Speaker 2: Oh I can do that. This one is from Toronto.
Speaker 1: We can.
Speaker 2: I can just read it out loud, me to side, Okay. I'm taking trans vocal lessons and in these classes usually your first assignment is to find out who your voice inspiration is a celebrity or a podcaster whose tone rasp intonation you like to work towards your men? Who's your vocal inspiration or if you were to transition mask or fem you pick who would it be.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good one.
Speaker 2: That is a good question.
Speaker 1: What is yours? This is a fun one to end on.
Speaker 2: Well, this is an interesting one as especially considering our voices are our jobs for this podcast currently. And I think it's weird because I've never considered my voice to be particularly good like I have, Like when I was a kid, I went to like speech therapy because I have, like a something in my nasal path is weird that makes my voice sound nasally, so I had to like go to speech therapy to like it' stop talking like this and and so I'm like, I even feel like what I do already is put on, but I don't know how. I think it's sort of like a I also think you have a potentially interesting answer similar because I had, like, because I moved around to different regions of the US, I never like got one accent. Like there was a point when I was in Midwest long enough where I got a Midwestern accent, but then I moved and but I never picked up like a Southern accent. So I'm just like this sort of vague, but I don't know what my voice fantasy would be.
Speaker 1: Do you have one? I know it's I don't. I The dream, of course, is like a neutral voice that only sounds slightly sophisticated, because you don't because it's so easy to sound either quote too gay or too like pretentious, like there is just anytime you're expressing an opinion in an audio mode, it's easy to become obnoxious or sound condescending, or sound like you're way too sure of yourself. This is I m'd say it's a humiliating thing. But I think that because both of us have listened to this slave culture gap fest semi ironically for the last ten years, I do think often I will emulate Stephen Metcalf's vocal patterns.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, or at least attempt to.
Speaker 1: I would say that it would be really nice for me to have a vote goal, because what ends up happening with me is there are so many people that don't want to sound like that. I'm constantly having to find my I'm constantly finding myself going a little too far in a direction I don't want to and then bringing it back such that I end up having an almost monotone, boring voice because I don't want to sound like too much like one or other person. And so this is definitely true and stand up. Yeah, Like, there are just certain other gay comedians that it is easy to emulate if you allow yourself. I think for straight people, so many of them fall into John Mulaney, so many of them fall into Luis c. K, so many of them fall into like like Bill Burr, like it's it's such a thing, or even like a lot of old comedians will fall into Maria Bamford. Yeah. Yeah, so so it would be nice. It would be nice to have a vocal a vocal goal. Okay, I'll say this.
Speaker 2: Is okay, here we go, let's hear it. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Wait, did you have something you wanted to say?
Speaker 2: Well, I was gonna say that. Ever since I've moved to LA and of course I've been listening to How Long Gone constantly, I do find myself butchering it up a little bit more. Really, yeah, I hear myself like say more mask things that are like like I have like a little cadence of like slightly butcher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, like like like.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of like it was hard to think of an example, but I do find myself like almost like it's sort of like a you're gonna want to go ahead and do that like that type of thing. Yeah, where it's it's not fully like I'm not pretending to be straight, but it is like a little bit of a straight eye cadence that I've picked up from listening to them.
Speaker 1: Do you listen to Doom Scroll?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: So it's the it's a it's an interview show. The host name is Joshua Ciderella. He like used to be an artist or maybe sell identify an artists I know, but is also does this podcast. He's had good people. Actually Grimes was just randomly just on it this way. But he has what I would describe as like a truly like neutral male voice. It's like not too mask and not too gay, and I almost think that's like best case scenario. And I think, honestly, and I'm sorry, if he's listening, it makes him sound a little less confident in what he's saying in a little and even sometimes a little less smart because he isn't like doming the interviewee, which I think is nice. It's nice to have a sense of curiosity and not immediately know exactly what you want to say. And it's almost like the less harmful, the less harmful version of like THEO Vaughn doing that but being like a complete moron.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So I guess that would be one of my vocal vocal role models.
Speaker 2: I definitely also when we started this podcast, I remember being like that being more of a pressing issue of being like how do we want to sound?
Speaker 1: I know, but then you just sort of like find all into a pattern.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it was like I remember like always joking at the beginning and being like, we're being Mark Mayeron, We're being Pete Holmes, We're being.
Speaker 1: I know, we were so self aware parentheses derogatory sometimes like there was just I was so petrified of coming across as either stupid or unoriginal or whatever. And you just gotta gotta have faith that like on average, you're occasionally saying some insightful things.
Speaker 2: God. I also just.
Speaker 1: Want to say, just because this color is talking about transitioning, we get a lot of calls from callers who are transitioning. I will say it. And we had another one that was a trans guy that is wondering if he should, like he's a gay trans guy, and he's wondering if he needs to abandon indie rock because he needs to get into pop girlies because he's a gay guy. And I just want to say, no, you should. It's cool to like being a gay guy who likes indie rock. I think is honestly one of the most ethical things you can be at this moment in time.
Speaker 2: I completely disagree.
Speaker 1: Wow, really.
Speaker 2: I think you have to like let go of indie rock for like five years and like be the dumb gay guy you've heard about in the stories, and then you have to find your way back home like once you've fully immersed yourself. Yeah, I think it like hits harder when you like let go of the wall and are sort of like you'll never forget the indie rock and you can always you can always revisit and it will come back around. But to make the full commitment to the like and also just like you'll find yourself being like well to have a conversation with these like random gig guys I just met, I do actually need to know like what Sabrina Carpenter's fifth album was about, like rather than the one before, Short and Sweet, like, and so you find yourself like becoming encyclopedic about that, and I think it's a helpful tool. And then one day you'll you know, you'll go back home.
Speaker 1: Do you find yourself having constant conversations about pop stars outside of this podcast? Literally yes, Okay, because I don't, and it's it's actually always like, actually, something I've really like appreciated and enjoyed about our time together is that, like I because I know it's something we're going to talk about I'm becoming more informed, but I don't feel like with the other gay en in my life, that's like one of the main topics.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like like drag Race, where of like at this point, I watch it in the same way that like I think many straight men watch sports, where it's like I just need to be able to have a conversation with like the gig guy I just met.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. That's true. Well, oh and by the way, another thing we keep getting calls about is our thoughts on marriage and open relationships, and I'm kind of like, hmmm.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, and mostly I have to agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's pretty much it. I enjoyed the question that asked us if you got paid seven thousand dollars every time you gave Zach Braf a concussion, how many concussions would you give him.
Speaker 2: Enough concussions to have three million dollars?
Speaker 1: That's right, and rest in power, Zach Braf.
Speaker 2: Not because I particularly hate him. It's just a cruel, cruel world we live in, and of all the ways to make three million dollars, that's almost more ethical.
Speaker 1: It is a little bit like you would harm fewer people literally you would only in fact harm Zach Braff, who's had a pretty long, in full life, full career. He got to Dave Florence Pew.
Speaker 2: That must have been fun.
Speaker 1: That must have been great. Not a lot of people can say that. No, he was in a hit show. He got to literally become an indie Darling filmmaker.
Speaker 2: For a while. He pretty much invented the shins.
Speaker 1: He invented the shins and invented the idea of a manic Dixie dream girl. There's enough. If Zach Braff died of thirty five million concussions tomorrow, there would be so much in his oh bit.
Speaker 2: People would be and people it honestly would be good for his career because he could be like like that. People would come back around, because people really don't like him right now in a way that as soon as he were to get thirty five million concussions, he would be like a fucking saint. Move over, Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 1: No, completely, it would be. It would it would be the chart crcification of Zach Braff, and people would you know, Garden State is not a great movie, but it's good enough that people can read it like if he died, you know, young people who didn't live through the Manic Pixie Dream Wars would reclaim it and be like, this is actually like really aesthetic. Yeah, that's what they would say. They would say, that's really aesthetic, that's really aesthetic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Manic Pixie Dream Wars is one of that's an amazing sentence.
Speaker 1: I mean it's true that was the original Girl Boss. You know, they keep inventing archetypes so they can tear women down.
Speaker 2: George, I have to sincerely apologize about what because I was really against the Zach Braff question and that was my favorite one.
Speaker 1: Well, this is and I don't want to like create more drama. But but that's why I was like confused. I was like, you're not attracted to the fun ones.
Speaker 2: That's not that it's I was sort of like, he can I okay, sometimes we also need to stop. We literally need to stop. This is a This is an interesting exploration. Sometimes when people and shout out to the caller, nothing but love, nothing but respect, But when a call is trying too hard to be funny, I get turned off.
Speaker 1: Sure, no, I get it, and you're saying your happy medium is what movie would win. Charlie and Oscar because it's funny enough. But it's not like I'm the joker on stage with my notebook doing stand up in Todd Phillips as the joker, exactly.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: That's fair.
Speaker 2: But what I forget is when I don't love a question, I can almost answer it with more disdain and more abandoned because it's less pressure.
Speaker 1: And and that's the other thing with like the non pop culture ones, because I don't want to be part of a discourse.
Speaker 2: Honey, you believe in discourse you're in.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I don't want to.
Speaker 1: So that's it.
Speaker 2: Like this episode is amazing, of course I agree, it's going to be not amazing for our editor, shout out sorry, and other than that, thanks for listening, thanks for calling.
Speaker 1: And in conclusion, Sam, I was just wondering, what is a piece of media you loved in your youth that you now hate nothing.
Speaker 2: I the little boy that loved whatever was right, and while I'm not able to appreciate it now, it meant something then. And I guess I would have to say. You know, I will say I was gas lit by some things as a child.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny, is I said that as a joke, so we would end there. But I love that you're answering question because.
Speaker 2: I never liked you liked I never liked Flubber. I was gaslate and just having to tell people that I like Flubber. I never liked Flubber.
Speaker 1: You know, this morning I had breakfast with my dear friend Jenna. She goes, she was like, it's like she was talking about something else, and she goes, it's like, how I hate Robin Williams. And I was like, excuse me, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: What was her take?
Speaker 1: Did she say? I don't know, but I think it's like he's doing too much and it like, which I get, and that's of course your first one's first reaction to Robin Williams. Then you have to like move past that in order to like understand his genius. But I guess, but I do think Flebber because you know, just on a script level, there's not much happening there. It is just him doing too much.
Speaker 2: No, that movie I went and saw in the theaters and it was that thing where you're a little kid and you're like, I know, I should have liked that more. So I'm just gonna say I liked this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, here's the thing. When we were little kids, seeing Robin Williams, Jim Carrey and Eddie Murphy overact could be scary. Yeah that's scary.
Speaker 2: That's a lot for a child.
Speaker 1: That's an adult man doing all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not right, that's not okay.
Speaker 1: Those actors are not safe for children. Those actors should be for adults.
Speaker 2: The actor should be for adults. And then the other one I want to say is this is going to be really controversial, but I can't stop thinking it. I love Spice World as a child. I think Spice World has some amazing alt comedy bits and it's really impressive that the level of humor they were working with. But when you rewatch it, it is long as fuck. No, it's bad, and they should make a compilation of all the amazing bits in it and cut out all that fucking filler.
Speaker 1: Spicer wyl would be an amazing movie to cut into vertical videos that are shareable online and if anyone over there is.
Speaker 2: Thinking, and according to our Joe Sunday interview, the youth needs it.
Speaker 1: And I just want to say people are feel free to stop commenting on that specific video. I think we've heard all the takes we need and by the way, none of you are funny.
Speaker 2: Whoa Okay, love y'all, Love y'all, Happy November bye podcast and.
Speaker 1: Now want more more? Subscribe to our Patreon for two extra episodes a month, discord access and more by heading to patreon dot com. Slash Stradio Lab.
Speaker 2: And for all our visual earners, free full length video episodes are available on our.
Speaker 1: YouTube now Get back to Work.
Speaker 2: Stradia Lab is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Created and hosted by George Severis and Sam Taggart.
Speaker 2: Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Han Soni and Olivia Aguilar.
Speaker 1: Co produced by by Wang, edited.
Speaker 2: And engineered by Adam Avalos.
Speaker 1: Artwork by Michael Failes and Matt Grugg.
Speaker 2: Theme music by Ben Kling.