Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getti and he Armstrong and Yeddi.
Speaker 3: President Biden claimed the country's stronger because of his work to expand NATO support Ukraine, withdraw US forces from Afghanistan, and take on China. In his remarks on Afghanistan, the President only briefly mentioned the thirteen US service members who died in the suicide bombing at the Kabol Airport during the withdrawal of US forces, widely seen as one of the darkest moments of his presidency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say so.
Speaker 4: And also just factually, it's when his ratings tanked and never recovered. It basically ended his presidency. So I realized the President is trying to shape history with his speech.
Speaker 1: Good luck with that, and horribly undermined his foreign policy goals too, as America was displayed as weak and feckless. Yeah, I was just going to say the whole you know, the great saying, which is so true, watch what people do, not what they say. Well, he's already done it, so he can say anything he wants.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of sad.
Speaker 4: And useless in my opinion, and according to the Bob Woodward book, it was a real indication to putin all this this administration does not have it to act together in terms of pushback to invading Ukraine when he saw the pull out of Afghanistan, right that was done more.
Speaker 2: Or less undisputed.
Speaker 1: Outside of Morning Joe a lot to get to this hour, including a chat with Congressman Tom McClintock about the wildfires in California that absolutely are to a large extent caused by politics or exacerbated by politics. Not climate change policy matters. It absolutely does. But first take a look in the China cabin.
Speaker 2: Which is admittedly China.
Speaker 1: China adoping named for a handful of that.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Michael, I had forgotten that guy. Do you have the China's a whole guy China as oh, oh, sir, true.
Speaker 1: But harsh I thought this story was so interesting. The Wall Street General reporting that China's reigning in it's once free, willing finance sector with purges and pay cuts. Chinese Letursesian ping is bringing the country's financial sector to heal, one banker at a time, and they go through the list of these guys who are often Western educated, who are very skilled, brought in enormous levels of investment and profit to China, which they finance Jesion pings goals for consolidating power and growing China's you know, global influence of that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: But he is killing the golden goose. It is clear.
Speaker 1: And I remember when you first brought us this story, some communications had been leaked. I can't remember the exact outlines of the story. But this guy is a real communist, right.
Speaker 4: I think that's what I was saying to Ian Bremmer when he said I was over egging the pudding. But there were reports that, based on things she was saying and reading and doing, here's the big story. He's actually a communist. He's not just pretending to be a communist so he can be a dictator. He actually is a communist.
Speaker 1: I think you were one of the few commentators who took that story as seriously as it should be taken, and which is what does.
Speaker 2: For us because communism doesn't work, oh no, it's miserable in every way by every measure.
Speaker 1: So many economists and bankers fear that the shakeup is going to dampen what they call the animal spirits one of my favorite Wall Street expressions. When everybody's feeling positive, it's the animal spirits. Haven't we all felt the animal spirits Friday night? Who knows, maybe a drink or two ennus the animal spirits. Anyway, financiers and regulators are becoming much more conservative to avoid mistakes that could get them in trouble. So they're starting to play a very very safe game, which if any you know, if you have any sophistication as an investor, whatsoever, you understand, the more safe you play at the lower your returns are going to be. China is also losing bankers and regulators with international experience and technical knowledge at the time when it faces complex financial risks that require more sophisticated oversight and animal spirits. Not less, they have trillions of dollars worth of off the books local government debts, they have the biggest property bubble in the history of mankind and.
Speaker 2: A shrinking pop.
Speaker 1: And they're jailing or purging anybody who has any experience and any verve in dealing with this sort of thing.
Speaker 4: I was looking at some of the videos overbreak of those cities. I mean, there's chunks of cities with all these giant buildings, and they're all empty, just building after building after building, a house after house after house that they threw up. I don't know where they thought these people were coming from, but anyway, they built all this stuff and now they're just empty. And they, like you said, a shrinking population and a shrinking economy. China could do the whole. How did you go bankrupt gradually? Then suddenly thing just collapse one of these days.
Speaker 1: And they have horrific sociological problems too. The young people don't have job prospects, they don't have hope, they don't have families, no girls. Well, right, and then so many people have invested virtually their entire self forth in the property bubble, which is now burst, and so they have their life savings invested in an apartment. Say that may may never exist. Let's see, there's one other aspect of this. I wanted to get to.
Speaker 2: Where'd that go?
Speaker 1: Oh that's all right, We'll move along and come back to it later. Let's see this story. Trump and She face off expect Us China tensions as the two leaders pursue opposing agendas. That's absolutely true, and it's appropriate, and it's good any sort of You can't woo China. You can just offer them cards at the poker table of international relations that they will exploit. They are not going to be nice guys. They are not going to help us. They are not going to do anything that is not in their naked self interest. And to wit I like this John Ratcliffe, who's a rare hold over from Trump one's national security team. Ratcliffe is Trump's CIA pick and he is expected to push for bare knuckle spycraft against China. Ratcliffe is not screwing around, which I absolutely love. He's likely to push from more aggressive spying operations targeting Beijing, and that America says is about to take the gloves off and it's shadow boxing with Beijing.
Speaker 4: Well good, They took their gloves off a long time ago, right.
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: The part that I was trying to find in the analysis of China and becoming more and more communists is ta go ahead, is take the gloves off. We've discussed this before.
Speaker 4: A boxing thing like I'm taking off the soft gloves and hitting with my bare hand. Or is it a taking off the gloves sliping in the face dual thing?
Speaker 2: Oh? Or is it.
Speaker 1: You know, as a former hockey player, it's like a hockey thing to me.
Speaker 2: But I don't know what the origin is.
Speaker 1: Everybody understands what it means, but yeah, what's of gloves are we taking off?
Speaker 2: Katie? Do you have the answer?
Speaker 4: Yes, it comes from the practice of boxers removing their gloves before a fight to inflict even more damage. Okay, bare knuckle boxing. I teased yesterday the upside of dueling and how we should bring it back, and it's really interesting, So I hope I get to that today.
Speaker 1: So anyway, what the article that I can't find. They're making the point that as these headwinds grow and the challenges within China grow and confront cheshion Ping and the communists, they're going further down the road of aggressive nationalism, hostility toward outside threats.
Speaker 2: Up with China, we're the best, et cetera.
Speaker 1: The problem with that is the international community, from you know, the Western world to even the Third world.
Speaker 2: Is like whoa.
Speaker 1: China is getting weirder and meaner and more nationalistic, and they're no longer talking about how they want to help everybody, so it's going to exacerbate their wh So I'm telling you their internal political situation is unstable.
Speaker 2: The next quick look inside the China cabinet China. This is this is related to China.
Speaker 4: Chinese officials have discussed options for TikTok's US operations, including a possible sale to Elon Musk. I have no idea if Elon has any interest in buying TikTok, but you certainly got the money. I was listening to one of my favorite pundits yesterday, Harvard Lawyer of person that you see on TV now and then explaining to people who haven't done TikTok, like a lot of us grown ups, how incredibly addictive it is, saying that if you're like comparing it to YouTube or Instagram or Facebook or anything like that, it's a completely different world of engagement and how it lures you in, which I found fascinating and almost makes me want to download the TikTok app just to have had the experience. But I know that if you download the app, there all of a sudden intelle your phone and have all your information, But it's just a com It makes Instagram look like nothing in terms of guessing what you'd be interested in to waste your time and that algorithm is worth something.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, absolutely is my goodness, it's it's indisputable how successful it's been, to the point that because it's fun, people are willing to overlook statistics like this. According to a major study done on TikTok more TikTok, more than eighty percent of the content generated in an Instagram search on the Wigers was negative towards China. On Instagram. If you if you search on the wigers, it's eighty percent negative. It's eleven percent on TikTok. One in ten mentions of the wigers are negative on TikTok. Search for tion Men on YouTube generated tian Men Square the massacre etcted content that was sixty five percent negative, twenty percent on TikTok. It's unquestionably a propaganda wing of the Chinese Communist Party. It's owned by a hostile foreign power. There are laws about that. It's not it is not a complicated First Amendment argument in my mind, No, I don't.
Speaker 4: Think it is. That's where it gets complicated. That it's a complicated business ownership. Who gets to do what? How do you stop them? Thing for the Supreme Court to deal with, especially in the computer age, right, exactly. Internet's the way, Internet's cross boundaries and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, I.
Speaker 1: Don't understand where are their factories? Would be the question to asked by every single Supreme Court justice up until roughly the current crop, because these challenges did not exist.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it looks like there might actually be an Israel Hamas peace deal, which would be a huge win for Trump. Among other things we got coming up, including a congressman who we're friends with, Tom McClintock, wrote a piece on The Wall Street Journal about how California policy used to blame for a lot of the disaster. We'll get to that this hour too.
Speaker 2: Stay around.
Speaker 6: At Kamala Harris's home in Brentwood, California, police responded to an alleged burglary, but the suspects were instead detained for violating curfew and thanks to Doug Emahoff, both of them are now pregnant.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Wow uh as a gut salt works edgy Hey tounished. So this on kind of that angle, thought this was interesting. Julia Roberts says, f you uses the actual word in an interview to looters as her ten million dollar home continues to be robbed during the LA fires.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, what a beautiful example of the protected class and the unprotected class.
Speaker 2: More on that to come right.
Speaker 4: And it was pointed out by someone online that Roberts did ads for Kamala, who, of course, Kamala wouldn't even take a stand on whether theft under one thousand dollars should be a felony, wouldn't even make a comment on that policy. She was so freaking weak. And that was your hero, Julia Roberts. And now the sort of people that have been trained that crime isn't a crime are stealing from you. So I don't even know what to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, middle class people, working class people, really, everybody but the elite has already been battered by crime and junkies and the awful results of progressive policies.
Speaker 2: And now that it's hit.
Speaker 1: The Hollywood elite, they're like, oh, crime hurts, crime makes me sad. Yeah, wow, thanks for your perspective.
Speaker 4: So I'm not I don't know if it does this any good to bring up these stories or not. Does it convince anybody? I mean, we do it on a regular basis. Maybe it's just good to be reminded. Maybe if you get reminded enough at some point. The original science backed seven minute workout to get fit Fast research shows, and you brought up this sort of thing the other day, reshirt research shows that a very simple little bit of exercise can rapidly increase your health and how you feel and all sorts of different things. It takes so little to be better than nothing. Don't be sedentary anyway. This seven minute workout that they're touting in the New York Times today, and there's no arguing that this wouldn't be a great idea compared to nothing. It's super simple. You don't need to join a gym or buy an equipment or do anything. It's push ups and jumping jacks and set ups and stuff like that. It's basically the idea of you do as many jumping jacks as you can in thirty seconds. Then you take a little rest and you can do as many push ups, and you can do cheap push ups if you have to, whatever you can do at this point. You just do as much as you can for thirty seconds. Then you take a little break and you just do it for seven minutes. If you did that every day, it goes with the percentages of heart health and tonality and blah blah blah and less injury and all the things the benefits that you would.
Speaker 2: Get out of it.
Speaker 1: Wow, need to post that at armstrong and Getty on I'm sorry armstrong and getty dot com under hot links. I prefer the one armed push ups with a clap in between.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do a lot of those. It's the style I prefer. There is a great benefit to uh.
Speaker 4: It helps to be older because when you're young, especially as a man, it's tough. But there's a great benefit to letting go of how much weight are you're lifting, or how many of these are you doing, or how fast you're running. None, none of it matters. Oh yeah, yeah, you're not trying to get babes. You're trying to stiff arm the grim Reaper. I actually a completely different game.
Speaker 2: I actually am trying to get babes. It depends on your stiff arm.
Speaker 1: Well is, you're going to be busy, but I'm going to stiff arm the grim Reaper at the same time.
Speaker 4: But I'm past the age of comparing myself to other people and thinking that makes any difference. That's not what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm trying to be as fit as I can. I'm not trying to beat you, right, that's where it breaks down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so run.
Speaker 4: As fast as you can, do as many push ups as you can't, all that sort of stuff, which might be very.
Speaker 2: Slow and very few, but it's so much better than nothing. Yeah. I was never a gym guy, per se.
Speaker 1: I worked out a lot to play baseball and then golf to some extent, believe it or not, but I was never enough of a gym guy. I never felt that sort of competition because it was useless. It was like, you know, speaking of golf is like a guy who can't break a hundred showing up and saying, who wants some of this? You can't beat anybody. So that was my point, the point of view in the gym. Yeah, well it's different in the gym than like playing golf. You can be out on the golf course and people see you, they don't really know how good you are or not. But in the gym, it is very clear. How many plates are on your bar.
Speaker 2: Few there are supposed to be plates on this bar.
Speaker 4: This bar is heavy, few and small is the I could barely lift the bar.
Speaker 2: The kidding.
Speaker 4: Tom McClintock is a congress person from California. He knows a lot about the policy over the years that may have led to these fires world did lead to these fires and disasters.
Speaker 1: Long time ember of the Natural Race Source's Commission too, he understands timber and water and infrastructure. Tom McClintock and much more to come, Stay with us, Armstrong and Getty show, Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: Does the buck stop with you? I mean, you're Governor of California and inviting it will be the mayor of California. We're all in this together.
Speaker 5: We're all better off.
Speaker 2: We're all better off.
Speaker 5: We're all better off, and we're working together to take.
Speaker 2: Care of people.
Speaker 4: And there wasn't a yes in there. Does the buck stop with you? To Gavin Newsom? And then haamanahammahammanahamana. And yesterday we mentioned the Mark Halpern line of health. Hell hath no fury like a celebrity scorned. Maybe that's what it takes to drive policy changes. Celebrities are upset. I don't know it's sad that that's the case, but it might be.
Speaker 1: Congressman Tom McClintock represents California's fifth congressional district, longtime friend of the Armstrong and Getty Show, member of the Natural Resources Committee, and a significantly author of an absolutely terrific piece published the other day in the Wall Street Journal. Bad policy served as kindling for California's wildfires. Tom McClintock joins us, Tom, how are.
Speaker 2: You, sir, I'm doing five?
Speaker 5: Thanks guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, lay out along in short of your piece in the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 5: Well, it's not altogether complicated. Throughout all recorded history, California lost about four and a half million acres a year to catastrophic fire. This is nothing new. What is new is beginning in the nineteen hundreds, we established land management agencies to do a little gardening. You know. We auctioned off access timber to logging companies that paid us to remove that access before it could choke off the forest and burn. We leased public lands to cattle and sheep ranches to suppress brush growth through grazing. We cut fire brakes to contain fires. We used herbicides to keep brush away from residential areas. We put out fires before they could explode out of control, and fire losses in California declined from about four and a half million acres a year to about a quarter million acres a year throughout all the twentieth century. But the environmental laws that we passed have made the permitting for these practices endlessly time consuming, ultimately cost prohibitive. So we stopped doing them, and in twenty twenty fire losses we're back up to guess what about four and a half million acres a year. That's not a new normal, that is the old normal returning because the environmental laws changed policies that we're working to keep fires at a minimum.
Speaker 2: Tom.
Speaker 1: I know you as we value the environment quote unquote clean air and water and the beautiful landscapes California, et cetera. But who is this far left environmental cabal in California and how much power do they wield?
Speaker 5: Well, it's not just California, it's national laws as well. It's a national environmental policy acting, Dangerous Species Act, the Wilderness Act, and you have in California, the California Environmental Qualities Act. Of these were all passed with the promise that they would improve the forest, environment and public lands management. Well, I think after now living with these laws, for fifty years, we're entitled to ask how's the environment doing? And the answer is absolutely damning. Our force are now carrying four times the timber density of the land can support, and so we're losing them to disease, pestilence, drought, and ultimately catastrophic wildfire. I mean, all of that excess timber and growth is going to come out one way or another. Either we're going to carry it out or nature is going to burn it out.
Speaker 4: Well, a number of people have made this point, So Gavin Newsom is dropping a lot of the environmental restrictions with some sort of emergency you know, declaration, so people will make it it'll be easier to rebuild. And of course the reaction for a lot of us to that is so what's the logic there? If they can be done away with these environmental restrictions for this emergency, whyever have them?
Speaker 5: Well, exactly right, I mean, this is an admission by Newsome. I don't think he realizes it, but it's an admission by him that these laws not only have not worked, they've been counterproductive. And if this doesn't prompt a wholesale revision of them, I don't know what will well.
Speaker 2: You're right, You're right.
Speaker 4: Obviously it is an admission because it's saying this will make things a lot easier and faster to rebuild.
Speaker 2: Oh really yeah.
Speaker 5: And at the same time, these laws have hampered our ability to deliver water projects for the next generation, as well as to manage our lands to keep them healthy and fire resilient. I mean, look, this is the way nature gardens, and Natures allows the gardener. If you don't believe that, just leave your own garden alone for a few years and you tell me what it's going to look like. You know, that's why we have these land management agencies to come in and do a little gardening. The environmental laws of the nineteen seventies stop them from doing that, and now Nature's coming act to do gardening her way.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the inability of California to build water storage over multiple generations now in spite of the people passing billions of dollars in bonds. We've already talked about the state imposed price controls on homeowner's insurance and now that's utterly perverted the market. But I know in your piece in the Wall Street Journal, you also touched upon how Mayor Karen Bass in La, who is cutting tens of millions of dollars from the fire budget, seems to have unlimited money for bums, junkies, and illegal immigrants.
Speaker 5: Well, again, it's a question of priorities. And this is this is where people say we should recall Karen Bass, we should recall Gavin Newsom. Well, I'm all for that, but simply replacing one left wing idiolog with another is not going to change these policies. This is the result of deliberate policies that have been placed into federal, state and local laws over many decades now at the choice of voters, and they're the wrong policies because they're wrong people.
Speaker 4: I know your your piece is all about the the resources, the environment, all that sort of stuff with the fire, but you also have this angle of we got looting and crime going on right now in a state that has made crime legal for the past, you know, quite a few years and created a culture where, of course people feel like they can go loot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, nothing.
Speaker 5: Strange about that. If you stop prosecuting crimes, you're going to get more crime. And that's exactly what the policy makers in California have done. That's what the sanctuary cities is all about. Sanctuary cities is specifically designed to shield criminal illegal aliens. Under federal law, when an illegal alien has committed a crime, has been sentenced for that crime, and jailed for that crime, when they're about to be released, ICE is supposed to be notified so they can be deported out of this country. The sanctuary laws stop that from happening. So I mean, these are again deliberate policies. You know, if you voted for people like Karen Bass and Gavin Newsom, this is what you voted for. And if that surprises you, you weren't paying any attention. Maybe this has been a wake up call that can't be ignored.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping you're right about that.
Speaker 4: I was in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, and the city's already looking cleaner. People have had enough. Maybe that's gonna happen for the LA area or the entire state. Well, let's spand go ahead, and Tom.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, we saw that in New York it was crime ridden and decaying. Rudy Giuliani took over and cleaned it all up. Policy matters, and the people that we elect matter because they determined policy.
Speaker 1: Connor's from Tom mcclint Hockey is online. Tom, I was just going to say, let's extend the conversation to the nation at large. What are you most excited about energized about with the incoming Trump administration majorities in both houses.
Speaker 5: Well, I remind people the American people didn't save our cunt on election night. They gave us the tools to save our country. We still have to do it. And as I see it, there are two monumental threats to our country that we're staring straight at. History is screaming a warning at us. The countries that bankrupt themselves or countries that cannot control their borders simply aren't around very long. Those are the two crises that have to be immediately addressed. I am very confident that Trump is fully determined to address them, and I think that the Congress is going to bend over backwards to get him what he needs.
Speaker 1: So the border thing, I don't dispute for a moment, but I'm going to hit you with a statement that is actually pretty damn close to true. Respond however you want, Tom McClintock, there is no constituency for fiscal conservatism. You can't get a round of applause anymore for it.
Speaker 5: I think that's changing because I think our country people are starting to awaken to the fact that our country is entering a debt spiral. Before you can provide for the common defense and promote the general welfare, you've got to be able to pay for it, and countries that bankrupt themselves can't. That's why many years ago, Mike Mullen, the former Chief of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said that in his professional military judgment, the greatest threat to our country is the national debt. And that's when the national debt was about a third of what it is now.
Speaker 1: Congressman Tom McLintock, fifth District of cal CORNEA time you keep eating that drum and we will too well done.
Speaker 5: Good to talk, Thanks, good to talk to you guys. Thank you.
Speaker 4: It's amazing Conservatives when any elections, because we're the no fun people. The Democrats get to say, let's go to Hawaii on vacation and eat nothing but desserts, and then we have to say, no, no, let's let's stay home this year for vacation and save the money. Because I think you're gonna have some tough times ahead, and we better not eat dessert. So I mean, there's work to be done, and eat your vegetables right right, Yeah, and yet if the dessert hoarding Hawaii vacationers, and.
Speaker 2: I've done both, So hello hippocri who went to Hawaii last summer and ate nothing but desserts. It's a metaphor. On it's a metaphor. You get the metaphor right.
Speaker 1: You've got to do the right things or you will die or go away in the country. Thomson, Absolutely right, You've got you. You cannot court fiscal disaster and throw open your borders and survive as a country. End of screed. There's no disagreeing with it. Quick word from a friend's ad. Prize picks. As the playoffs heat up in the foots ball and the basketball season is getting more and more interesting, you want to get in on fantasy sports action, but you know, want to spend all season putting together a team, and blah blah blah, prize picks.
Speaker 2: A great way to do it.
Speaker 4: She'll looked into prize picks on the more or less of how often the quarterback for the Vikings would be on his.
Speaker 1: Back, because it was a lot more often than a twenty dollars. Well, I probably shouldn't finish that meta, sure, but here where you here where I'm att.
Speaker 4: Sign up today, Get the Prize Picks app. You get fifty dollars instantly when you play five. You don't even need to win to receive the fifty dollars bonus.
Speaker 2: It's guaranteed. Yeah, it's fabulous.
Speaker 1: You can win up to a thousand times your money on Prize Picks, and they invented the flex play, which means you can still cash out if your line up isn't perfect. You can double your money even if one of your picks doesn't it. Just pick two players or more and say more or less on their stat projections. It's fun, it's easy. Download the Prize Picks app today. Use the code Armstrong. Get fifty dollars instantly. After you play your first five. You don't need to win. You play five dollars, they give you a fifty to play around with. It's easy as that Prize Picks. Use that code Armstrong Prize Picks run your game.
Speaker 4: So I got this brand new fire in the Ventura area. They're calling the Auto Fire for some reason. Anyway, very windy today, seventy plus mile in our gusts.
Speaker 2: We'll keep our eye on that.
Speaker 4: Also, the Pete Hegzef confirmation hearing going on in Washington, DC right now.
Speaker 2: We've got some high from that. Yeah, it's gotten off to a wacky start. Multiple protesters bellowing and carrying on. They can't even do the hearing. Awesome, all on the way.
Speaker 7: Art officers enlisted, black and white, young and old, men and women, all Americans, all warriors.
Speaker 2: This hearing is for you.
Speaker 7: Thank you for figuratively and literally having my back.
Speaker 1: Who are misogamous, not only that you are a.
Speaker 4: Christy protester interrupting the Pete Hegzath hearing as they always do.
Speaker 1: Protester Old crack Pot bellowing about Vietnam Please, what do you want Peter to do about it?
Speaker 2: So I'm looking up at the TV.
Speaker 4: It looks like a lot of the questioning that I've been watching so far has been a route about the whole women serving in combat roles, which, man, I feel.
Speaker 2: Like is a I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'll have to watch the hearing to see how the conversation is going. I don't understand why this is so difficult. Sh it does it make us stronger and better fighting force. Yes or no, then go with that at the end. I don't understand why it's even an issue.
Speaker 1: But right right, you know, I hate to steal my thunder from a discussion of LA's Firefighter Corps because it's more or less the same idea. But has any soldier in a firefight ever in the history of warfare, going back to swords and shields and hurling rocks at each other ever said you know, the fight's going well, but I wish there were more women here fighting. I mean, they're getting into their entire focus effectiveness. He's getting into a conversation with Tom Cotton. As I'm looking at the TV senator military guy hegxeth them. They're talking about women's strength versus men's strengths. I mean, they're getting into the nitty gritty of this.
Speaker 2: Well good and they should.
Speaker 1: That's absolutely appropriate, and that's part of the reason that Pete, I think, would be a breath of fresh air. He is not absolutely you know, steeped in the conventional thinking in the last twenty five years, much of which has been terribly misguided in my mind.
Speaker 2: Hits seventy seven, Michael.
Speaker 7: As I've said, to many of you in private meetings. When President Trump chose me for this position, the primary charge he gave me was to bring the warrior culture back to the Department of Defense. He liked me once a Pentagon laser focused on lethality, meritocracy, war fighting, accountability, and readiness.
Speaker 1: All right, more, Fredon Babe starts screaming, taste or tays the old guy too, tas them both, tayso them till they wet themselves. If they're under hydrated, give them a good drink of water, then tas them again. So we're on the air while this is happening. So I don't know what's driving these various arguments, but if I'm the Democrats, do so, I want it to be about the things he's said about women in combat. Do they think that's the winning issue?
Speaker 4: I think the better issue if I'm a Democrat is him not being qualified to be sec deaf. It's such a giant organization. You've never run anything one one thousandth this size.
Speaker 2: Who has right?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: That's well, And my purpose in playing these clips for you is that everything he's said is from certainly our perspective, more than defensible.
Speaker 2: It's great hit seventy eight. Briefly, Michael, you may proceed to bring back war fighting.
Speaker 7: If confirmed, I'm going to work with President Trump.
Speaker 2: And this committee to one.
Speaker 7: Restore the warrior ethos to the Pentagon and throughout our fighting force. In doing so, we will re establish trust in our military, addressing the recruiting crisis, the retention crisis, and readiness crisis in our rank.
Speaker 2: All right, so that's sorry, you can fade that out, Michael.
Speaker 1: That's three protesters, like in the first few minutes of his opening statement, which is ridiculous, he accused by the way he opened his statement, or at least a significant part of it, was a what was described by the National Review as a scorched earth attack on the media, a coordinated smear campaign that's from the Kavanaugh book, Yeah, which was decried by the idiots in the media as being somehow unhinged or inappropriate. It was one of my favorite moments in observing government and public life.
Speaker 4: So Tom Cotton just explained how our standards are so low that their requirement for the two mile run is can you do it in twenty two minutes? And he said that's not running, that's barely jogging. That's a fast walk. Yeah, that's a really good paced walk. Is a guy who takes power walks?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Anyway, So, like I said, they're getting into the nitty gritty of the requirements, which I'm fine with that angle. I just thought it'd be that's from a Republican. Maybe he wants to put it on this where they're pretty solidly in the right as opposed to the as he qualified stuff.
Speaker 2: Right. Whether heg Seth is the guy or not is an open question.
Speaker 1: I'm glad we have these hearings, but to push back against the military as a social experiment and a jobs program attitude that has infected Washington, d C. And I have some very good accounts from highly placed people who I know personally saying that is unquestionably the case.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Or to put it, as Pete Hegseth put it seventy nine, please, Michael, Now, it is true.
Speaker 7: And has been acknowledged that I don't have a similar biography to defense secretaries of the last thirty years. But as President Trump also told me, we've repeatedly placed people atop the Pentagon with supposedly the right credentials. Whether they retire, generals academics or defense contractor executives, and where has it gotten us.
Speaker 2: That's a good argument, he believes.
Speaker 7: And I humbly agree that it's time to give someone with dust on his boots the helm.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty good argument. It's a damn good argument.
Speaker 4: The reason we lowered the standards in a lot of cases is because we aren't getting enough recruits, and so we're widening the net to get more people to join. Now, our friend Mike Lyons says, part of the reason you aren't getting enough recruits is it just doesn't have the the challenge. You know, I want to be part of an elite unit thing that it used to have. He thinks, you know, having higher standards making it seem like, wow, you're really something. You're in the army. You were in the military brings in more people, which you might be right as opposed to just.
Speaker 2: Another job flabby people can do exactly well, yeah, exactly, yeah, Hm.
Speaker 1: I served in the army, so what A lot of America response not us, Don't get me wrong, but I see his point. I think it's a great one.
Speaker 4: We'll have more of that hearing of any interesting stuff happens. Of course, if you miss a segment. You can grab the podcast. It's Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty