Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 6: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Patrick Walker, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 7: It is Friday, September twenty second, twenty twenty three, season nineteen, episode number thirty seven.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the latest edition of The Break.
Speaker 7: We're live from that WBC Mortgage studios at the Start's our job to get you ready for Cowboys Versus Cardinals. That happens is Sunday in Arizona, and we got the crew here today to tell you, guys what's going to happen this weekend, give you their best predictions. We'll get to those by the end of the show. But we start today on a bit of a somber note here in cowboy Land. Yesterday afternoon, we start to hear the nerth, the talk of a possible injury, and then we find out it is Trayvon Diggs, and then shortly thereafter find out that mister Diggs is out for the season, presumably with a torn acl How does Dallas adjust.
Speaker 8: Well, First of all, I'd be remiss if I know, if I allowed us, and I know we're not going to to pretend that Trevon Diggs is replaceable by anyone else on this roster, because he's just not. So it's a massive loss for the Cowboys period. He's their best ball hawk. You saw the increased in heightened physicality over the first two games of the season with the tangling and forcing turnovers that way, in addition to taking the ball away in the air.
Speaker 4: So I mean it's a massive loss.
Speaker 8: That being said, it's also true that, as I rode on Dallas Cowboys dot Com yesterday, this team is better equipped than they've been in a very long time to have God step up. So first take is going to be Deron Bland. He's going to go to the outside. Good news is the Cowboys gave him a ton of reps in training camp doing so preseason as well as a contingency for things like this. Talk about thinking the football gods that Jordan Lewis is back when he came back. He came back last week. Now he's going to go full time starter at Nickel. Now it's time to see what what Igbinogay is going to be able to do when what he calls his fresh start Cowboys hope that he's an upgrade over Kelvin Joseph for situations like this as well. And then you start to look from their young guys like Eric Scott who they traded up for as far as depth bot massive loss in losing Treyvon Diggs, but the Cowboys, that's why I have on the Muhammad a Last shirt today. You know, you take some punches, but I think they can get up from this and it start swinging.
Speaker 9: I am still trying to rob my around all emotions because it's not one of those things where you're like, all right, we just got to get through four weeks, five, No, that's it for the whole season. So that's hard to kind of go through those emotions. And it's so sad, so sad. He was having such a good start of the season, he was trending upwards, he got his contract extended, he was just doing so well, and then and I don't want to say this, but I'm gonna say it. Whatever I've had in the back of my mind a little bit of concern with Gilmour as far as because sounds of the sideline when they came out. I think it was a week one, I think when it came out, and you hear the comments because of his age, right, he's a veteran guy, very talented, has shown he still has it, he still has the game. Everyone has been impressed with his game. But it's kind of it has been in the back of my mind as if there was anybody on defense that I would kind of be quote unquote injury concern off something happening, it would have been Gilmore because of his age. And now something like this happens, and even though they got younger guys that you have the depth to kind of go through the season and still play at a competitive level, it does bring concern me personally with another starter that's a veteran guy.
Speaker 10: Why could happen?
Speaker 9: And I'm not trying to bring that kind of energy because we don't need that here, but it is in the back of my mind of kind of just being a little hesitant and scared of kind of what the future might bring, because initially we were feeling so freaking great about the defense as a whole, so everything just kind of shifted mentally from me.
Speaker 10: But I know they have the depth. We've seen them play talented young guys. But yeah, it's just od.
Speaker 3: You have one of the top three defenders in the league and Michael Parsons. You have one of the best defensive coordinators in the league and Dan Quinn. Your weapon of choice now is your pass rush. And your pass rush now becomes that where it affects the way that people try and throw the ball on you, and so you can make up for maybe some lack of the coverage that you might lose in the secondary with your pass rush. Now it's about scheme, it's about your front, and it's about finding ways. We're super been super positive. Dron Bland really came out of nowhere last year for us, and you know, and then you watch Deron Bland play on the outside, like Patrick was talking about, steady camp there, you know, but then you get Jordan Lewis back in the nickel the role he's comfortable in. If they have a position where they can withstand losing a player, and this player is huge, don't get me wrong by any means, but to me, I think they can weather the storm with one of the best defensive players in the league, one of the best defensive coordinators in the league, scheme in it and then your pass rush. I think that's how you find ways to get around the loss of what DIGS potentially could be. Is it a nice thing? And you know it's it's not as terrible. This team last year loses its quarterback in Week one and everybody was dooming and glooming. Then you won thirteen games. There's reasons why these coaches do what they do, the reason why this team is built the way it is so you withstand things that happen like this. We're not the only team in the league that's going to lose players along the way. Yeah, big time players. It's going to happen. You know, look at the Jets, what they had to endure their whole season. Now is in the hands of Zach Wilson, you know where it was going to be in the hands of Aaron Rodgers. You know, nobody feels sorry for you. You keep moving. But this team, in my opinion, is better equipped to handle something like this.
Speaker 7: You know, it's interesting because when I compare the Cowboys to the rest of the NFC, I think most people believe the Cowboys, the Eagles, and the forty nine ers are the cream of the crop. And when you start comparing their defenses, which I think are the strengths of both of those teams and the Cowboys, I look at their cornerback position. I think you brought up a good point, Brian. You know, the pass rush of all those teams I think is really outstanding. That's what makes those defenses so great. But even without Trayvon Diggs. With Travon Diggs, I think they have clearly the best secondary of those three teams. Without Trayvon Diggs, I think they're still as good in the secondary because you look at the strength of their safety position, right, And I don't know that those teams have dominant cornerbacks. They got good cornerbacks that play well for the pass rush that they have, right, And I think now Dallas has the same thing.
Speaker 2: So I agree with you, Brian. I think it's more.
Speaker 7: About what are you going to get out of the pass rush to be able to help your back end be able to do the things that they were able to do. You're not going to be able to be I don't think this defense will be as dominant. Like That's the part I'm upset about is I wanted to see if this defense could be Chicago Bears eighty five ish, right.
Speaker 2: I wanted to see if this.
Speaker 7: Could be one of the best defenses of all time, like one of those kinds of defenses you talk about like that. I'm not certain I will see that now without somebody like Trayvon Diggs on the field.
Speaker 2: Maybe they can, who knows.
Speaker 7: I'm just saying that's the part that I'm really bummed about, because I really thought this defense had the potential on paper to be that good.
Speaker 2: Of a defense and we won't get to see that this season.
Speaker 8: And I agree, and coming into the season, like I said, I was hoping to see and I'm still hoping to see a historic defensive outing from the Cowboys in twenty three.
Speaker 4: Special was the word that we kept throwing around.
Speaker 8: And when you lose such a special player in Treyvon Diggs, now you have to wonder if the secondary as a unit can still be special. But to Brian's point, your pass rush is still special. Your secondary, as far as your safety corps, they can be special. And in the same week that you lose Trayvon Diggs, you're likely getting Donovan Wilson back on the field, so that adds another level of emphasis and to the safety position. Who also, you know, when he sets off with the blitz, he's a terror as well, so he's gonna help with that pass rush additionally. So I still think that while they might not end up being the eighty five Bears, I mean with that pass rush, you could be still curtain. I mean you could still be doomsday if Doron Bland can do on the outside what he did in the nickel. We already know what Jordan Lewis can do in the nickel, and we already know what Stefan Gilmour can do on the outside. And again you got the safety. So I mean, I still think they can be put up a historic effort, but it'll probably be a notch below what it would have been with Trevon Diggs because it's it's Trevon Diggs.
Speaker 3: Can anybody name the cornerbacks for the eighty five.
Speaker 2: Bearsson was a safety?
Speaker 3: Is the safety?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 3: Right, that's a good point. Guy named Mike Richardson, Mike Richardson and Leslie Fraser, the coach, Dave Dewerston was the safety and so was Gary Finsik. We don't know who the corners were for the it.
Speaker 2: Was the man we know that right. Richard Dent was the man it was.
Speaker 3: Yea, Richard Dent was a man. Steve McMichaels was the man.
Speaker 4: You know you.
Speaker 3: Mike Singletary was a man that was a legendary day, legendary defense. And we can't name the corners for that team.
Speaker 4: Good point, so really good point.
Speaker 3: Find a way to be a dominant team with what you're really good at, and that's getting after the run when you have to, and then finding a way to force teams to throw the football and hopefully rules a little different in nineteen eighty five. You know, with the way that you could play, they don't let you play that way anymore. But you know, hopefully, like I say, you're in a situation you could be far worse, maybe like what the Giants are dealing with right now with two rookie corners, you know, having to play that that could be. But I trust these coaches and I trust the best player defensive player football to help me get through this.
Speaker 8: You don't even have to look at the Giants, and that's a great point, because they are in dire straits as far as two rookies. I mean, go back to twenty twenty two with the Cowboys when you lost Jordan Lewis and you lost Anthony Brown and you had to on the back end of the season late November December going into the playoffs, you had no clue who your opposite boundary corner was. So you're experimenting with guys. So you're light years ahead of that right now. So you know, yes, you lose Trayvon Diggs and that's that's a serious blow, but you got to feel good about, you know, the talent that's present and who's coordinated in dan Quinn. I mean, dan Quinn's going to get things figured out.
Speaker 7: On the positive note, Cowboys yesterday, get some players back, Brandon Chuma, Edoga, Tyler Smith, Donovan Wilson all full yesterday.
Speaker 2: I practice that helps.
Speaker 3: But you skirting around something.
Speaker 4: But there's a little more as the bad news.
Speaker 7: And actually, honestly, I don't know if it's bad yet, as everything is a sign so far from Mike McCarthy suggests that the injury to Tyler Biattish is one that may not keep him out of this weekend's game, and then they may have kind of side swiped one a little bit there, but but he did get hurt.
Speaker 2: And yesterday's practice. What do we know at this point?
Speaker 3: Okay, you tell us what is going on, and I'm going to tell you something that I think because every time that I think that everything's cool and ready to go and Cook's is going to play and there's no issue there and oh it's not a spray, it's just you know this, and next thing he's missing and then oh wait, by the way, hey, uh you know Tyler Smith. Oh he's looking good, he's ready, and we haven't seen him now for three weeks. So anything that I think that's gonna happen, like, oh no, hey, be oddish. It's fine. We're good man, I know, and I'm doing out there. I'm doing a pregame show and Christy Scales in actives this week and then you're going okay. But on our show, we talked about Arizona and how they play that Bear front. Speaking of eighty five Bears, Well, they put somebody over the nose, and you put brock Hoffman in a game. And now what Jerry Jones has told us, well, they've taken a lot of responsibility for calls away from Dak you know, setting the protection be Oddish, these guys up front, that's how they handle it. Let me tell you what that would be a big loss right there in my opinion, especially the way that Arizona plays their front with the way they play that heavy nose on that center and now he's calling, snapping and blocking all in the same deal.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna I'm gonna let Patrick please tell us that be Oddish is gonna play this week.
Speaker 8: Well, well, first let me say that, can we can we move Thursday practice to like Friday or something?
Speaker 4: What is it about Thursdays going on around here? Good God?
Speaker 8: When it comes to Tyler Beiadis, she suffered a hamstring injury in yesterday's practice. Widely overshadowed by the loss of Trevon Diggs, Tyler Biaddish underwent a precautionary MRI. Turned out to be precautionary. The results, I'm told were they're very, very optimistic. It was described to me as minor training staff is confident in his ability to likely go on Sunday. Listen to Mike McCarthy on a five point three of him the fan, This morning, Mike McCarthy said he will visit with Biaddish and the medical staff again today, but he did say as of last night, medical staff believed that Beaddish will play on Sunday, So, barring a setback between now today being Friday, the walk through tomorrow in the pre game show, barring a setback, it looks as if Tyler Biadish will take the field, but again that is based upon what happens tomorrow in the walkthrough.
Speaker 10: I'm keeping my mouth shut.
Speaker 4: I'm just telling.
Speaker 10: I believe. I highly believe in the power of the word. I don't think.
Speaker 3: Yesterday there was some reless recklessness going on in your area, in my area, in your area, talking about, oh, the health of the team and all that. I started like shaking.
Speaker 4: I was trying to I was shaking. I couldn't reach the woods. So I got I was like, I was like, I was like.
Speaker 11: That.
Speaker 3: As a personal guy, I started like, I want.
Speaker 10: To start crying.
Speaker 4: Really never put on again.
Speaker 10: I didn't even have them.
Speaker 4: So that's what happened.
Speaker 9: But but I mean yesterday, when the news came out, I think Tyler's injury kind of got overshadowed by its Obviously the severity that Trevon Diggs injuries. Different level of severity there, but man, that that is. And again there's some reports out there are saying that he's gonna be okay, and it's nothing major reports.
Speaker 3: One never saying the words of Shaggy.
Speaker 9: Wasn't mean, but it's just so, it's so, it's another devastating news because he's done such a freaking good job.
Speaker 12: He's grown so much since last year and you look at the way he played and he he's the type of player and if you're watching him, it doesn't matter if the play already is twenty yards from him.
Speaker 9: He's gonna keep going and finish until the play is cover, recovers the ball, keeps an eye on the ball, is super freaking aware of what's going on around him where the ball is at, and just has that athleticism and a big guy like him. He's a big guy and just finishes place and keeps going with it. So it's it's if something happens where he can't go, major loss.
Speaker 4: I agree with.
Speaker 8: This because because Brian makes a good point when you talk about Tyler Smith and it was described the hamstring string on Tyler Smith.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got good sources. I'm just I'm not talking about it anymore because I can't. I can't do it.
Speaker 8: But my point being that it's an excellent point in that it can come back. As you know, it's minor, but if the Cowboys feel like because of who it is and what the injury is in the position they played, they might want to rest him a week. Because Tyler Smith, Hey, we thought that he was in good shape playing with one.
Speaker 4: I did as well, and you.
Speaker 8: Know now he's finally hopefully about to take the field in week three. So as it stands, signs point toward a lot of signs point toward Tyler Beats taking the field against the Cardinals. But I am putting an asterisk on that because of Tyler Smith and how he was managed over the first two games.
Speaker 3: Let me know what happens when you get on the plane.
Speaker 7: Well, it's not even it's not even just Tyler Smith. I mean, that's just the nature of the NFL. We see it all the time where there's one report and or the team is saying this about a player and his availability, and then you get to the end of the weekend and it's like, well I thought he was okay, Yeah, it's like, yeah, he's not really trust me.
Speaker 2: I've been there, so it just happened. That's the part of the that's the part of the NFL.
Speaker 7: So right now, what we know is that the NFL, I mean, I'm sorry that the team is saying that he looks.
Speaker 8: Like this morning, that as of last night, the medical staff believes that Tyler Biattis will play.
Speaker 7: Now, there also is a caveat that he put in there. He said a lot of times with these kind of situations, the next morning, Yeah, when it's late, the next morning is.
Speaker 2: What tells the story. So he still hadn't talked to him at that point.
Speaker 7: Risk that's the part that we don't know, is what that conversation conversation like this morning and how did he feel this morning? That part we don't know yet necessarily, and Mike didn't know at that time when he was talking about it. Are we gonna take our first break, We'll come back. Let's talk about this rushing offense. I want to talk to you, hear from you guys on what you think of it. Do you think it's providing what the Cowboys need? And is it enough as they get into other games later in the season, will they be playing better competition that when we come back Dallas.
Speaker 2: Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 13: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah.
Speaker 14: Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable.
Speaker 13: And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 15: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 3: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 8: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys.
Speaker 4: And now he's on his phone on his.
Speaker 8: Bank of America Mobile banking app, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica. Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking Everica.
Speaker 15: It's only available in the English language. You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on SOLEC mobile devices. Message dat ragsy apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 5: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 3: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 2: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 7: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the soldier to cry on?
Speaker 5: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 16: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial moweres, compact construction equipment, gater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: Back to the Break.
Speaker 3: Check out the latest and greatest addition to tours at AT and T Stadium at the Star in Frisco, Meet Jerry Jones, an interactive experience. Get a peek behind the curtain and into the fascinating life of Jerry Jones. With a focus on innovative fan experience and partnership with AT and T, this interactive technology gives tour goers the opportunity to ask mister Jones a variety of questions. For more information and to book your tour, visit Dallas Cowboys dot com Slash tours.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to second segment of the Break.
Speaker 7: Life in SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star presented by Blockchain dot com.
Speaker 2: Ding All right, good, let's get into this. I want to talk about the rushing offense. Check this out.
Speaker 7: Cowboys right now are twenty third in the league in rushing yards per attempt at three point five, not a great average. They are, however, first in the NFL in rushing attempts. They're running the ball a lot, just not getting as much out of it as you would want them to. What are your general thoughts about this running game? Is it good enough?
Speaker 8: I think it's good enough, and I don't think that you've seen the best of it just yet. I think you know Tony Pollert is getting his his legs beneath him as being as far as being the lead back, I think the Cowboys we talk about the Texas Coast offense and what does it really look like firing on all cylinders? We haven't seen it firing on all cylinders yet, and I think a large part of that will go to how they utilize their running backs.
Speaker 10: How long do you think it takes?
Speaker 3: Too?
Speaker 10: Would take first?
Speaker 8: I think the running game should be you should have a good idea what the running game looks like before you get to Santa Clair.
Speaker 4: I really think that.
Speaker 8: I mean, by the time you get to around week five, you know you should know what a good mix is going to look like. As far as Tony Pollard versus not versus but Tony Pollard. Ricodaldo Douce Vaughan sprinkling some hundred lib key. I think you see more of that starting to take shape over the next two to three weeks really for the run game. But I think it'll be fine because you also have to look at it in tandem with how the Cowboys are choosing to pass the ball. They're choosing to get the ball out quickly. They're using the you know, certain types of run plays to kind of relieve pressure so that Dak can get.
Speaker 4: Those passes off. What does that mean?
Speaker 8: So, for example, when you look at the efficiency of the run, like you mentioned three and a half, Okay, so some people would look at that and they say, well, yeah, that needs to be better. It would need to be better if the pass game passing attack wasn't as efficient. But if you hand it off just enough or just often enough to keep linebackers honest, to keep the safeties honest, and keep them trying to play forward so that you could get behind them if you need to, then actually it's efficient indirectly. So the way the Cowboys are utilizing their run game, I like it. I don't expect that they're going to go out there in average four and a half five yards and carry You don't have Zeke in the building. That's just not the formula for the Cowboys going forward. They're trying to look at the efficiency of when they run the ball, how that is used to set up the pass game, and then those two efficiencies play off of each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's man, I am not a big metrics guy. I'm not smart enough to be a metrics guy. But when you really dive in the numbers and there's a stat that they call stuff rate, like it's a percentage of when the runs were stuffed and no gain a loss, something like that. And the problem that you run into with the Cowboys is Tony Pollard's runs are stuffed twenty percent of the time, Rico Dadalls runs stuffed fifteen percent of the time. Do spawn thirty three percent of the time. So when you start to tell me things like that, are you getting the type of blocking up front? Are you getting the combination blocks, you're getting second level blocks? What's the situation in the game. I honestly don't know right now that if Dallas had to go into a game and say we got to run the football, that they could be effectively, they could do it effectively. I really don't. I think there's some's it's early in the season. You talk about the defense that they faced, the Jets are good. I feel like the Jets are good run defense. The Giants are good inside. You know, the Giants miss a lot of tackles and stuff like that. But they're going to have to play some teams that are going to present even more of a problem running the football. The Commanders we know about for twice. The Eagles, they they they struggle at times with the run, but they got a big front. Now let's see if they get that a little bit better San Francisco. The thing that just makes me a little little hesitant right now is the consistency with the run games. And to me, I feel like that it's they're trying to kind of figure out how we're going to run the ball, you know, we I know, with when you watch Arizona play, we were talking about Penn and polls, you know, and how you you know, how they bounce the ball and get the ball inside and things like that. I I don't know, I feel more confident of the Cowboys throwing the ball and getting and getting yards that way than I would if you said, hey, they've got to run. They've got to kill this game and try and run this clock out in a four minute offense. I don't know right now if they can do that, and I think that's a I think that's something that should be a concern.
Speaker 9: Uh, I'm all right now about positiveness, positivity, possibly positivity. I I'm not concerned about it just yet. I think it will be okay and they will be able to efficiently run the ball. But the only time I think it would start bothering me where I would be concerned.
Speaker 10: It would be if we.
Speaker 9: Start seeing them force it. You know, when it becomes now you're just forcing it and it's not working one way or another, but you're still pushing and everything, which we've seen in past with the offense where they try to force things and it just doesn't freaking work. So right now, it's not that they're not becoming that they're not becoming an offense that's forcing things, whether it's running the football or throwing it or Dak being indecisive. I think they're still trying to figuring themselves out. But I'm not concerned yet about the running game and calling it a bad, bad option option. Yeah, I think they're We'll see I would like to give it a little bit more time and see once they start clicking in that way. But I think they do have the tools, They do have the talent there to make it efficient.
Speaker 3: Which is it might it might be, It might be adding Tyler Smith might help it in a way, you know, most definitely, you know a Dooka has done a nice job, but I mean it might help. This team is almost fifty to fifty run pass, which is in the league. It's that's kind of rare. But they're they're they're okay with running it for like you're talking about three and a half the you know, three eight a shot. They're they're, you know, they're going to figure it out one way or another. But he's going to keep her under the ball. You know, he's gonna that's that's something you know, he feels like that he needs to do. And but they they need to do a little bit better job of getting things secured up front. We haven't seen you know, those long runs. And that's the one thing with Pollard. You know, he's had like thirty nine carries, He's only had three runs of ten yards, you know, out of that. Usually with Pollard it's he's two and through the hole, and it's it might be two or three a game for him, the way he runs the ball. We just haven't seen that yet from them.
Speaker 7: The thing that gives me hope is that as I went back yesterday, I went back and watched every running play they had the Jets game, and one of the things that gives me hope is.
Speaker 2: They can do it.
Speaker 7: There are plays where you see them block it up and block it up really well. You see them get to the second level, you see them create the right gap. You see the running back find the right gap and get in and out, and they're off to the races.
Speaker 2: You've seen them do it. They just can't do it consistently.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And by the way, it's not just one player. It's like when they don't do it, well, it's this guy this time. It might be a lip Key this time. Oh no, it might be a Ferguson this time. Where it might be a Tyrann this time. It's all over the map. There's not just the consistency of this one player is a problem. And if you change him out or if you can try to help him, that may solve you. They all take turns to the backrack exactly and so that's the part where I'm like, I have hope that the more the season wears on, the more opportunities they get, the better they will be as a unit, and they'll create more consistency in doing their jobs well because I've seen all of them do their jobs really well at a certain times.
Speaker 3: Right. That's the thing I think with offensive line play, that's why teams that just like to run the football that they don't have that issue. They don't have a breakdown. It's like you mentioned it with Tyron Smith. You say, well, what are some of the red zone problems? Well, Tyron Smith had a holding, Yeah, had it with and he had a holding call on a backside six yard run for Pollard that would have been a touchdown. You know, that's the kind of thing that makes you now think, well, can they run the ball? Yeah, they can run the ball, but you can't whiff you know, you can't let the guy back door you to make a play for minus two and you can't get a colding call on a touchdown.
Speaker 8: And then there's another play where Tyn is coming back. So I was gonna say, like you said, Tyler Smith, he's a road grader. Road grader is set to come back. So yeah, I mean Tuman did a very very nice job in these first two weeks, but this is this is a different level of strength that we're talking about on Tyler Smith.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: But and that's the thing, Like you talked about the whiff by Tyrant, there's another play where he drove a guy completely out of the Yeah, that's one thing I've seen these guys.
Speaker 3: Decided he was going to miss his guy. There you go, that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: And I've seen Chumi Doga one play he basically took his.
Speaker 7: Guy down, pancaked him, and then another play guy gets right around.
Speaker 2: So it's just like, there's no consistency right now.
Speaker 7: And that's the part where I'm just like, again, I look at it and say, that's the result of an offense having to find itself because they didn't play in the preseason. They're going to have to figure it out on the go. But by you know, by the time you get to week five, week six, you should be chugging along here. You should have that a lot of this figured out and at that point we should see more of the consistency. And if it's still a problem at that point, that's when I started to get a bit.
Speaker 8: More consiered, right, and think about what you just mentioned Tyron Smith with the whiff and the hole. And we're not saying Tyron Smith hasn't played well, because's actually played really well. But when yeah, when you miss a play, you miss a play. But in that scenario, it was Tyron Smith, and then Tyron walks a guy out of the club, but then it was Tyler Beata Tuma did something good, but then it was we're talking about the left side of the line. You haven't said anything about the right, So I think that goes to be clear.
Speaker 2: The right side has had its moments.
Speaker 7: It had I mean still, honestly still has been the best offensive lineman in my opinion, especially when I watched the running game, He's been the best.
Speaker 2: And he's still had a couple of players that were kind of like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, power is always going to be a problem for him a little bit.
Speaker 4: And you're not wrong.
Speaker 8: My main point is that with Tyler Smith coming back, and one of the main things coming into the season was you know, Tyron he remains healthy. Obviously, if he remains healthy and Tyler Smith once those two are only field for the extended period of time, it's about building chemistry for those two guys, timing, combo blocks, things like that. So really, in the absence of Tyler Smith, you don't have the opportunity to build that. So you're going to probably see some struggles in the run game, particularly if you're trying to run in those particular gaps. I think that organically starts to solve itself, hopefully as early as this week with Tyler Smith fingers Cross coming back against the Cardinals fingers.
Speaker 7: Quest and I see, let's let's year about that.
Speaker 3: It would be the first time in like eighteen hundred snaps these guys have all played together.
Speaker 4: It's been eighty two years.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to our final break.
Speaker 7: We'll come back and as a little game for us, it's gonna get a little wild in here, So buckle in. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 13: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah.
Speaker 14: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour.
Speaker 13: But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 17: Don't put off getting your oil change.
Speaker 12: Dallas.
Speaker 17: Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 15: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus, because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wifball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 16: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, gator utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the break Dallas Cowboys Game Time powered by This is uh. When do we say this company is called? I wrote it down? Oh love it Lovo?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 2: Oh Novo Lenovo?
Speaker 7: Dang?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry I should have run Lenovo Lenovo. I'm sorry. I was like no, I wrote it. I wrote it down phonetically on the other day, and I'm Lenovo Lenovo. I'm sorry that Lenova. You're great, folks. And then it's powered by Lenovo and then the official gaming platform and Committee of the Dallas Cowboys. Sign up now to compete in Madden twenty four for a chance to win two tickets and a VIP experience to the twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys home game. Qualifiers begin October six and run through the thirteenth. Learn more. Register at Dallas Cowboys game time dot com. Lenovo. Good folks over there at Lenovo Lenovo. Check them out.
Speaker 7: We are on the final segment of The Break Live from the SWBC Morgan Studio.
Speaker 3: I gotta get there.
Speaker 7: We've got about nine minutes left in the show, which means Amber, you got about eight minutes for this game, so we can get there.
Speaker 3: You gotta give me more time for the don't mess around, let's go.
Speaker 2: The other day Patrick had four minutes.
Speaker 10: I'm not he already talks enough. I need some talking time too.
Speaker 2: Man, Man, okay, you can take that shot.
Speaker 3: You can take one of.
Speaker 7: You give it away as a shot. I know I'm going to tell you.
Speaker 9: All right, all right, all right, today's game it's called caption this right, Okay, this is a game that I think most people are familiar with. And if you guys are only listening, hopefully you can go back later and actually watch the show, because basically we're going to be putting out a meme and you guys are going to caption this relating to football doesn't have to be from this weekend. It's something that happened before anything that obviously relates back to football. So as an example, this first one is a baby very sad?
Speaker 3: Can I ry in? I got it right now?
Speaker 10: To go ahead.
Speaker 3: That is my look at on lambeau Field when Des caught that ball. Oh the tears were frozen on my face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 14: I was in with that.
Speaker 8: That was me as recently as yesterday when I saw Trevon Diggs on crutches.
Speaker 4: That was me yesterday.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna say that's GM's when they are all the GMS that passed on Michael Parsons.
Speaker 3: That's good, all right, Next one, I could play this game.
Speaker 9: I don't know how to describe this one for our listeners. Patrick, describe it.
Speaker 8: Please describe it. It's it's a popular meme on Twitter. It's the the white fur Monkey.
Speaker 4: I guess that's what you're doing, kind of like, what are we even doing polls?
Speaker 8: I got one that's me looking at the final play in San Francisco in January.
Speaker 4: With Ezekiel Elliott.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's me looking at Ezekiel Elliott's final snap in the Cowboys uniform.
Speaker 4: Now what do we even do?
Speaker 5: That is?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 3: That is Peyton hendershots jet sweep the other day on the Gold.
Speaker 2: All right, here's mine.
Speaker 7: That's CD looking at his agent last night after Trayvon Diggs injury.
Speaker 2: Let's my contract? Get it done now?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 9: Now we have the dog that sits on the chair with everything burning up around him saying this is fine.
Speaker 2: I mean after yesterday, it could it be.
Speaker 4: I don't think that.
Speaker 8: I don't think that fits yesterday because we talked about the death.
Speaker 4: So I get it.
Speaker 3: But that's all of us.
Speaker 2: That's all of us right now, like it's all fine. We're good.
Speaker 8: Because to Brian's point in the first segment, that was me when Dak Prescott left that game last year. Yeah, and we thought, okay, checking out his thumb fractured thumb, and he was going to be out for several weeks.
Speaker 4: That was us, Oh, this is fine, everything is fine.
Speaker 9: Me.
Speaker 8: I was like no, but you get the context of it's really not fine.
Speaker 3: This This is how I was haul in Chicago. The Chicago Bears, that's what that is. Wow, oh man, sorry.
Speaker 2: Yet litteral Giants right now? That is the New York Giants right now.
Speaker 8: It's all fine, good, fine, everything's fine. That's that's me watching speaking of the Giants. That's me watching the Giants offense in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: That's what that is. It was just like, that's it's not fun.
Speaker 9: This guy has to his arms extended out and just kind of pushing out like in discust a little.
Speaker 4: Bit discussed exactly discussed being the word Derek.
Speaker 7: That's the NFL looking at the Monday night game last week when Chubb goes down with that injury, like, oh god, I don't want to see that.
Speaker 4: That's that's what that is.
Speaker 3: That's surely the look I get when I find out who the official is for the game.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 9: The little boy that sits on the couch with a cup that's kind of with a smirk, smiling for.
Speaker 8: Me, that that's me looking at everybody who wanted Jordan Lewis to be on Puff to start the season.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, how you're feeling out?
Speaker 3: All right, that's when I had a second round grade on Oh so Diggy's watt and he actually got taken in the third.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 7: That's that's Cowboys fans on Mondays after a win, and how they look at stephen A and Shady McCoy. Yeah, now Bart Scott and now Scott, all the haters.
Speaker 3: Bart Scott's a bigger gosh. Did you see what he says?
Speaker 4: That was this guy.
Speaker 3: I was Bart Scott. That was Bart Scott. I was that guy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, all right, we got the little girl. This is my favorite meme, the little girl that it's like in the car scene with the weird look like.
Speaker 3: That's when the cowboys try and run a screen.
Speaker 8: That was That was almost literally me yesterday when someone tweeted me about how Deron Bland wasn't good enough. Teams are going to quote unquote pick on Jordan Lewis.
Speaker 4: Here, Like, what are you talking? That's a good one.
Speaker 7: Okay, that would be uh, that would be Dak when he's asked by the media about interceptions.
Speaker 3: Oh, that is.
Speaker 4: Fed up over It's like still.
Speaker 3: Before.
Speaker 9: Oh the little boy sitting on the couch with his arm crossed, looking all serious.
Speaker 3: This is me when I do postgame show on Dallas Cowboys Dot on the radio with the Winter five three the fan, and I know I have to do it till one thirty in the morning.
Speaker 8: I'm going I'm going to go back to going to go back to Santa Clair January. That was me seeing the Cowboys hold the forty nine ers to nineteen points and lose one.
Speaker 7: That was Jerry yesterday, but Mike went to tell him that another player got hurt.
Speaker 2: Another two players got hurt on Thursday.
Speaker 3: Practice Cross What are we Why are we practice?
Speaker 4: Why are we practicing at all?
Speaker 9: We're gonna stop practicing just to walk through? Oh mm, guy looking holding the phone.
Speaker 3: That's when I was calling my gang of seven and asking who what corners were available on the street and which once you would poach off another team that was making some calls yesterday. That was me.
Speaker 8: That was me trying my best to get as much information on digs as possible yesterday, knowing that I probably was really bad news.
Speaker 4: So you see the look on his face here, He's just waiting for the ball to drop. That was me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's pretty much everybody last night, especially after you heard about Trayvon and then you're waiting to find out what's going to happen with That's everybody on the phone with their friends like yeah, do you said?
Speaker 3: What? What? Yeah?
Speaker 10: All right, last one, since we're running out.
Speaker 9: Of time, got three minutes, Well, we got predictions.
Speaker 10: This one is a grandma holding them up and a whole bunch of cash.
Speaker 8: On the other hand, I know that one is it's going to be ceedee lamb here in the near future.
Speaker 2: That's Diggs agent. No, He's like, yeah, bro, we got.
Speaker 3: We got it.
Speaker 2: Got you just worried about it all the time. We got all money though. Old Michael Parsons, Yeah, Michael Parsons.
Speaker 3: That could be also could be Zach Martin or after that hold out in the show yesterday he was old. He's like, I'm an old guy out here.
Speaker 10: It worked his way for sure. I like the all right, well thank you.
Speaker 3: That might need to be a weekly thing.
Speaker 10: We'll bring it out some other time.
Speaker 3: All right, this fun.
Speaker 2: Let's get the predictions.
Speaker 7: I want to hear what you guys think is gonna happen with the final score, will be let's start with you.
Speaker 3: Brian Cowboys twenty eight, Arizona twenty. I think this is going to be a closer game. I think Arizona's going to find a way to kind of try and maybe hocus pocus you a little bit on some of their offensive stuff. I think this quarterback is good enough to run around a little bit. I know people are talking about blowouts and stuff. I just think the Cowboys are kind of in a weird place. I think the nine games here, they're two and seven in the desert, it's kind of some weird mojo going on in the desert. Dallas twenty eight, Arizona twenty.
Speaker 9: I could say something like thirty five twelve. I still think that the defense, regardless of the changes, it can still be pretty pretty pretty good, if not great. So I think they'll still make it very competitive. And I'm hoping to see the offense if everybody's back where there should be, I'm hoping to see the offense kind of gain that spark back a little bit.
Speaker 4: I was before the Digs injury.
Speaker 8: I was going to say, you know, it probably would have been in the high twenties as far as scoring for the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Maybe the low thirties.
Speaker 8: But I get the feeling that the Cowboys are going to come out trying to play for Trevon Diggs and trying to win this game and dominate this game for Treyvon Diggs. Unfortunately for the Cardinals, yet they don't have to play Travon Diggs. But now they got to play Cowboys defense that wants to show out.
Speaker 4: For their brother.
Speaker 8: So forty two for the Cowboys who want to go out and send the message on all sides of the ball. But again, I think the Cardinals can be scrappy, So I think they score a touchdown and then get a field goal.
Speaker 4: So forty two to ten.
Speaker 8: Cowboys are playing some real meaningful football in the absence of Digs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think this is an offensive explosion for the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, Brian.
Speaker 7: I think the defense of the Cardinals has been pretty good, better than their record suggests. I think what's going to make them take a step back is the loss of Buda Baker. Budda Baker, I think the corners he is one of the better players on that defense, if not the best player on that defense. I think that's going to matter in this game. I think the Cowboys offense will round into shape this game. They'll show us something we haven't really seen from them all season. I think they're gonna move the ball really well, and this time they're going to get it in the end zone when they have those opportunities. I think the final score ends up being thirty eight to thirteen.
Speaker 4: Give them the forty burger. You're not gonna give him a forty burger.
Speaker 3: Nobody likes the desperate team three.
Speaker 4: I don't know they're.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, honestly, if we're playing I would be a little more in on that. I just think that's a big loss for a team like that lacks the veteran leadership as well. Like, I just think that that's a big loss real quick.
Speaker 3: I was on Arizona Radio this morning before we came on here, and they were they're pleased the way the Cardinals were playing, believe it or not. They were like, man, hey, we're they're not tanking. They're trying, so we'll see maybe have a little pride.
Speaker 2: They're playing decent football.
Speaker 7: This is not a bad team, Like and I know they're right about getting smashed down the bottom, but they are not bad.
Speaker 8: They're going in Cowboys are with a lot of emotion based on the digs injury.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think they're going to try and seven.
Speaker 8: If you thought they were going to try to beat down the Cardinals and they were at the emotional wave, that's coming as well.
Speaker 7: All right, real quick, we also got to get a pod pick in here. My producer Chris Beam just told me we got to ask what is who's the first first non offensive touchdown of the.
Speaker 4: Game, none offensive touchdown? Sam Williams, DeMarcus Lawrence.
Speaker 10: Jordans.
Speaker 4: I liked it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I'm gonna say Turpin.
Speaker 8: Oh, I'm gonna say he gonna take it back, take it to the crew, cack or punt something, take it.
Speaker 4: To the crew.
Speaker 2: All Right, we got our we got our answers.
Speaker 7: We are ready to roll. We'll be back on Monday. We'll let you know what went right and wrong for the Cowboys. Till then, for Brian brought us, Patrick Walker, Amber Garcia. I'm Derek Hilts and this has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.