Speaker 1: Check me out at the annual Black Effect Podcast Festival, happening Saturday, April twenty seventh in Atlanta. Live podcasts are on deck from some of your favorite shows, including this one, Black Tech, Green Money, and also some of the best podcasts in the game like Deeply Well with Debbie Brown and Carefully Reckless. Atlanta is one of my favorite cities in the world. I've lived there for two years. Actually, in my worldview, seeing a successful in every industry and not having any limits on our potential largely was shaped by Atlanta. So to be there with you doing this podcast talking about how we build or leverage technology to bill wealth. Come on, man, doesn't get better. I want to see you there. Get your tickets today at Black Effect dot comback Slash Podcast Festival. I'm with Lucas and this is Black Tech, Green Money. Jay Biron is the lead develop brad Woodlong Central, a nine hundred million dollar economic development project on Chicago's South Side. The massive project will include a boutique hotel, call center, data center, residential buildings, theater, urban farm, and micro grid, and there are plans to integrate technology. A lot of technology like ai AR and VR to assist with the community, health, safety, education, and tourism aspects of the project in the developing with the community, not in spite of it. This project focuses on economic development without displacement. There's this pervasive South Side of Chicago narrative that exists focusing on how rough it can be in the stereotype echoes out of many majority black or minority communities. But Jay Byron and his partners then just let that perspective continue, but are actively working to change it with entrepreneurial efforts. So what was the catalyst that joven to engage?
Speaker 2: The media does a terrible job at representing the Chicago go in.
Speaker 3: Its true form.
Speaker 2: It's not even the top ten and most dangerous cities if you look at statistics. But being that this is a church driven project and the church has been there for ninety years, both my grandfather and my father are community activist, and my grandfather did about seventeen developments within Woodlawn. Woodland is probably one of the most organized Black communities. It really functions on four major pillars economic development, health, education, and safety.
Speaker 3: And so in regards to your question about safety, you.
Speaker 2: Have to make sure that you are highlighting the positive sides of.
Speaker 3: What can be within the community, and.
Speaker 2: It comes from a private development space or a private investment space. And so the more people from the community invest in the community, the safer it becomes. So when you have high economic development and safety, then you have low needs for health and lower needs or higher needs for education. And so you know it. In the media, they don't do a very good job, but we feel that when you invest privately into the community, it is it is eminent that the economics become better for everyone.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about that. For the people who are not very familiar with Woodlawn Central, can you explain what this project is?
Speaker 2: Sure, Woodlawn Central is a catalyst development from a much larger full community plan that we did in.
Speaker 3: Pre pandemic, and we coined that.
Speaker 2: As a twenty sixty planet And so it's about bringing culture and identifiable culture to what we understand is the black community. And so when you look around and you see Chinatown and Ukrainian Village and Little Italy and Retown, there's an ethnic centric sustainability that we have not yet been able.
Speaker 3: To benefit from.
Speaker 2: And we haven't seen this kind of complete community in over one hundred years since Greenwood, but Woodland Central is that future understanding of that future manifestation of if Greenwood had never happened from.
Speaker 3: The devastation of it.
Speaker 2: So we're looking at house not just housing, but also commercial space. So with non Central is about eight hundred and seventy mixed use sorry mixed.
Speaker 3: Income housing, affordable to market.
Speaker 2: Rate and some luxury, so two hundred and fifteen thousand grow square feet of commercial space.
Speaker 3: We have a.
Speaker 2: Business center which is consist of a data center and a digital resource center that's focused.
Speaker 3: On aiar VR for the training and development for the youth and adults.
Speaker 2: We have a one hundred and fifty four key hotel, a new headhouse for our transit.
Speaker 3: We have a micro grid.
Speaker 2: It's about eleven thousand square for microgrid that powers the entire campus itself. In some of the community, we have five hundred and thirty thousand cubic feet of vertical farming space which renders about three tons of produce annually.
Speaker 3: So we can source for the community.
Speaker 2: As well as a distribution model. In Illinois, every grocer has to source locally, so it's a really good model for the community to not just benefit from food resourcing but it's also a good economic opportunity as well. We're going to replace the parking since the project is on.
Speaker 3: The church parking facility. It's about eight acres of parking.
Speaker 2: That doctor Brazier, after some coaxing, said, Okay, yeah, that sounds good. I like the sustainability model. And so it's it's a it's a it's a really large project, about eight hundred and ninety five million dollars uh, and we're real close to groundbreaking.
Speaker 1: And so when you think about you mentioned the micro grid and other things, when you think about what's different about this project versus many other you know, economic development community development projects with your focus on integrating technology and sustainability, Like, how are you hoping to change the outcomes for our people in these communities when you rely on those sorts of assets and features.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question. One of the one of the things that in our in our musing about the development itself is we have to kind of leap frog one hundred years of the lack of social and economic sustains ability and then leap frog another thirty years into the future.
Speaker 3: Of which is you know, eminence of AI being.
Speaker 2: Completely integrated within the next ten years, and so we're going to focus on making sure that those who have the ability to learn new skills and technology that they benefit from that in a in a career startup, or even a jobs process.
Speaker 3: This also brings social sustainability. As we're looking.
Speaker 2: At creating Woodland Central as a community innovation district, we're looking at making sure that there's a digital master plan that goes along with the physical master plan, which is your.
Speaker 3: Plumbing and electrical and what have you.
Speaker 2: So we want to make sure that we're setting up the community to be an arm of a smart city. So you have a smart city, but then you also have a smart community that can access us all of the information and make.
Speaker 3: Sure that we are as up to date on.
Speaker 2: All of our technology, which really will help exponentially in economic development and education.
Speaker 1: And so I found this quote from you in a different story where you said technology is a tool and it should be used as a tool and not a solution. It should be humanity over technology as opposed to technology over humanity. Can you say more about that?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think everybody is really afraid of AI taking their jobs and taking over and making decisions for us.
Speaker 3: And I think that if we allow.
Speaker 2: Technology to become the solution, then I think those things will happen.
Speaker 3: So it's really up to us to.
Speaker 2: Make sure that we are being thoughtful about the social and economic approach that that looks at the immediate need, the future need, and the extreme forecast to make sure that these new technologies are that are coming up actually fit into a model of our own sustainability where humanity is always at the forefront of everything that we do.
Speaker 3: And I feel like though we.
Speaker 2: Are building buildings, we need to also build people, and in building people, we must have a humanitarian approach to it. I love that.
Speaker 1: I love it. So as a tool, how do you see these technologies enhancing both the resident experience and the overall you know, economic ecosystem for the community?
Speaker 2: Sure, the educator, I mean communications is probably I think one of the greatest opportunities that create us to use technology as a tool are smart buildings, being able to access information as quickly as possible. Information is so fast and it's going to become even faster, and to be able to access information at the rate of which it is coming out, and having the technology being able to accommodate.
Speaker 3: For anything that we need to be ready for whether.
Speaker 2: It's a blackout or another pandemic or you know, or even an event, being able to use that technology also to stay up on our bills, to stay up on our utilities, knowing how much we're using and how much we can say. And so it's it comes down to mitigating the risk for the for the investors as well as the developers and especially the residents.
Speaker 1: Right that, I was looking at your website and there's this phrase in there, you know, development without displacement, which I really thought was cool. And and you mentioned this a little bit when you're talking about you know, building on parking lines versus you know, taking over other housing. And so can you elaborate on like the strategies maybe initiatives that are in place to achieve this without you know, the negative sort of gentrification that has happened in other places.
Speaker 2: Right absolutely, the the my background in urban planning, one of the things that happens a lot is especially within our community, is people.
Speaker 3: From the urban planning side are don't look like us.
Speaker 2: And so they're coming in and they're really kind of checking the box and they're saying, okay, talk to the community.
Speaker 3: Check right, the community.
Speaker 2: Is in favor check and really are absent of the lived experience for us and for our community, and so it's almost impossible for them to develop our community and somehow it not affect us in a negative way. So the idea of development without displacement is based on the fact that it's development from the inside out. It's coming from the community that says, here's what we understand is our needs. Here are the things that we understand as a process to uh plan development or urban development and designed.
Speaker 3: Here are the things.
Speaker 2: That we know that will need our children's children's children will.
Speaker 3: Need within this process.
Speaker 2: And and that that helps mitigate again the risk of displacement. And because also that this is a church driven project.
Speaker 3: And I want to say this.
Speaker 2: That that I know, I know lately churches have been kind of a complex conversation. But the church is the only and longest standing organization within the Black community and is also the only organization and that can do projects at this level, and so it takes the church. Let me say that the survival of our community squarely lies on the shoulders of the church. And I've gotten doctor Brazier to understand that in many different ways. And one of the things that he has publicly announced is that he's going to take ten percent of the profit of Woodland Central and recirculated into the community as a CDFI. So that way, when taxes and things do raise, just based.
Speaker 3: Upon the.
Speaker 2: Natural development process, that there will be grants and sponsorships, scholarships for residents, current residents who.
Speaker 3: Will be able to stay in their homes. So, I know, I kind of you know, it's a little bit.
Speaker 2: Of a longer story, but I think that we have to thread the idea of displacement or development without displacement really comes from the inside out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was reading up on this and you talk a lot about like sustainability, particularly in regards to energy generation. Can you talk about you know, you mentioned micro grids a little bit, but can you talk about what you're doing with micro grid and and other efforts that you might be working on here.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the microgrid is is really important and probably would be one of the first things that go in. Even though it's not one of those kind of like sexy, you know buildings and you know, architectural type of aspects to the project, it really is kind of the cornerstone of the energy sustainability. As a data center, really takes up a lot of power, and.
Speaker 3: So to make make the data center.
Speaker 2: And and the overall digital infrastructure makes sense, the microgrid in and of itself is is really important.
Speaker 3: UH.
Speaker 2: And one of the things that I like about where the direction we're going in is we're actually creating a command center that that uses uh the power and calculates and analyzes how much power is going to uh the vertical farm, how much is going to the residents, how much is going to and and it's it's an opportunity to do waste management and utility management.
Speaker 3: And without the microgrid, we.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't be able to actually use those those kind of technological tools without without having that level without.
Speaker 1: So I we talk a lot about home ownership, and home ownership has been largely, you know, preached as a way to build wealth, you know, generationally, and I think about, well, I guess my question is how does Woodlawn consider facilitating home ownership or encouraging home ownership, Like, how does this opportunity play out so that the residents and people who are taking advantage of what you're building, they're able to build that generational wealth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, home ownership is really important to us.
Speaker 4: Affordable home ownership is really important to us. As a district development, We're not doing any single family homes, but this development will catalyze additional development which will bring more single family homes. But to your point of generational wealth, I think I would be remiss to not talk about.
Speaker 2: The generational practices that lead to generational wealth and commit and woodland Central because it's based in a culture over commerce, ideology, or philosophy. One of the things that we want to do, just intrinsically is make sure that we are creating processes and procedures on how we operate one to another and how do we buy trades, cell give, borrow, live, learn.
Speaker 3: All of these things come to play when we're talking about generational wealth.
Speaker 2: Uh and and so when you look at other ethnic groups, they have antiquitous culture that they get.
Speaker 3: To rely on, which which which comes out in what they call customers.
Speaker 2: Right. So this customary way on how their kids raise their kids and so forth and so on, and then how they take care of their grandparents and.
Speaker 3: How they take care of each other.
Speaker 2: I want to be able to utilize this as an opportunity to begin to look at how we re emerge into a holistic community that then at the end of it becomes generational wealth and a self determination.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so I try not to position questions about, you know, being a black real estate developer, how do you work when is mostly white real estate developers around you? But like, how do you how do you navigate this? Obviously successfully and in the city as big as Chicago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So nationally there's about one hundred and twelve thousand developers, and eleven hundred thousand them are not black, So we are a very small.
Speaker 3: Population within the industry.
Speaker 2: And so it is it is not for you know, the fate of heart, you know, this process of development, because you're dealing with with a number of different industries, from the financial industry to the construction industry to the community itself. And so I find it very interesting because I get to deploy a lot of the international education that I have, you know, from from you know, kind of doing independent studies overseas and saying this is how culture is built. So I kind kind of get to start in a space, in a blank space that says you don't know how to create valuation for the black community, So let me show you how it's done.
Speaker 3: And I'm not making anything up.
Speaker 2: What I'm doing is just mirroring all of the all of the other cultures.
Speaker 5: That that that have a of having a purview of a higher valuation, but utilizing that and doing it in a way that is industry industry industry standard, and and in in terms that these specific industries can can can understand.
Speaker 2: So I make no small plans. And I think that's the biggest that's the biggest thing to do because you've got people, you know, they don't want to talk to you unless you're talking about something, you know, above fifty million dollars. So so you got to you know, aim as high as you can in that space. And and I think that's what really tracks investors and being a to navigate.
Speaker 3: Through some of the processes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to talk about what you just mentioned right there, because you know, people don't want to talk about little bitty projects. And you know what holds up so many black entrepreneurs or would be black entrepreneurs is they see what it might take them to get started, and you see these stickers of you know, it's going to take one hundred thousand dollars to do this thing. It's going to take a million dollars to do this thing, and you got a nine hundred million dollar project here, and it's kind of like, you know, or how do you eat an elephant one by at a time? Like when you see this nine hundred million dollar project that you're embarking on, that doesn't mean you have nine hundred million dollars in the bank, and so so how do you so how do you put together the strategy as somebody who doesn't have nine hundred million dollars in the bank to say, you know what, this is what we're going to do. These are the steps to doing it.
Speaker 2: First and foremost, you have to have a vision, right, you have to you have to know exactly what you want to do.
Speaker 3: Our community is very is unique.
Speaker 2: In the approach because there's a there's a bit of a lack of infrastructure that that other communities have.
Speaker 3: So when we're looking at at how to.
Speaker 2: Do other smaller projects that are black owned and driven, they have to be catalyzed through.
Speaker 3: Larger projects like with mon cential.
Speaker 2: So so so there's something referential that says this worked over here, so therefore it can work over here. Because when you look at it as a whole, it's the condition that's the same.
Speaker 3: The location may be different, but we in.
Speaker 2: Our community need specific things in order for for us to be sustainable. And even if you do it one piece at a time, it's okay. At the at the onset of this where we're at right now, district development is is really important because it doesn't just change the characteristics.
Speaker 3: Of the community, it actually changes the condition. So if I was a.
Speaker 2: Smaller developer and I saw a project like ULN Central, I would actually reach out to that developer and say, hey, you know, where can I fit into this? Because I know that if I'm a part of this, then I can continue to grow.
Speaker 3: And do things, you know, as big as what you're doing.
Speaker 2: So somebody's got to step out and do a nine hundred million dollars project. So that way, we're setting the precedents and we're setting the pathway for other developers, other black developers to actually enter into the industry.
Speaker 1: You had mentioned we're talking about generational wealth that you know, sometimes it's not about just home ownership, which is a piece of it or could be a piece of generational wealth. You said, sometimes it's like the activities and behaviors of generational wealth. Can you talk more about that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: You know, one of the things that when you know, being being an age was really.
Speaker 3: Kind of the thing that that sparked me about how.
Speaker 2: How they see each other, one to one to one to the other, and the things that they do and the practices.
Speaker 3: That they do.
Speaker 2: You know, I found that, you know, it was very fascinating to me because being you know, from Chicago and watching you know, this kind of homogenized group of people be able to create such beautiful cities and create such beautiful.
Speaker 3: Cultural aspects.
Speaker 2: So it's about language, it's about food, it's about garb, it's about dress. How do we how do we do those things? And so I myself cannot create something that says, well, here's what we're going to do, right, we all have to say, here's a practice that we understand that is contributive to the survival of our generational bloodlines from across the board. And these are the things. Though we may not agree, our agreement is not as important as our contribution to the sustainability. And so there's a there's an incentivization process within this critical mass that should be created for us to understand that at the end of this at the at the end of our.
Speaker 3: Our agreement one to another.
Speaker 2: There is sustainability both socially and economically that we can always rely. I can leave this world knowing that my children are going to be okay, and and and and having to you know, mind my own business. You know, I'm okay with that, and and and contributing my gifts and talents. I'm okay with that too. And so so there has to be a spark, you know that that that begins to get us to start thinking, you know, in this way.
Speaker 1: How do you hold this what becomes a model across the country and not just in Chicago.
Speaker 2: It's all almost like if I had a crystal ball, I'd be able to answer that question so much.
Speaker 1: Do you know, I mean, this is your wish, you get to build it. You get to build a crystal ball on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, great, So I would I would hope that, you know, with all of the different pro cultural programs that we're doing in Woodland Central, you can always be referenced and can always be used as representation to the possibilities of what we are capable of doing for ourselves. And one of the one of the one of the things that I find really interesting when I'm talking to certain people, they stay, well, where has.
Speaker 3: This been done before?
Speaker 2: And so there's no modern, you know, representation of this since nineteen twenty one. So this is the beginning of what a model could look like. And I'm always very hesitant to say here's a model, you know, and use this model because they think everybody is going to approach what they do differently.
Speaker 3: But if you are using.
Speaker 2: The framework that we're doing, I designed it so that each community can self discover on their basic needings.
Speaker 1: And so I've gotten into some economic development in my hometown Tweet, Ohio, and we're going to go on to a renaissance of sorts. And I was before downtown was that renaissance started, the one that we're in now. A lot of corporations started to turn their attention to downtown, and residents started getting excited and saying, Okay, look, something's finally going to happen, right, And so I was frustrated might be the wrong word, but hoping that we wouldn't just stand back and watch the show, but that we would find opportunity to get in because real estate valuations were going to go up because corporations were starting to turn their head. And so my question is, how do you not just be your representation, but how can you provide opportunity even but also be representation to those people who are going to be positively impacted by your work so that they're just not watching the Jay Byron Show, but they see opportunity for them to be part of something bigger.
Speaker 2: Well, first, I would I would want to render myself available to those who are looking to achieve what we've achieved here at what Mon Central.
Speaker 3: The information is free, right, and I'm always.
Speaker 2: Willing to talk with developers and new people in real estate to kind of give them and give them an aspect of how I approached what I do. This is certainly not my show. There are several.
Speaker 3: Other people who you know, who are involved in making all of these things happen.
Speaker 2: But you know, you have to know a lot about a lot of different things when it comes to real estate development, and you have to and it's almost the industry itself is almost a red line as well.
Speaker 3: Right, if we did not.
Speaker 2: Own our own land, I don't think we would be having this conversation because land is equity, right, And that's why we never got our forty acres, because they knew that if they gave us those forty acres we would have our own equity, and then they also knew we were capable of self determination and self sustainability as well. So it's not that we don't have the ability or we don't have the understanding.
Speaker 3: A lot of it has.
Speaker 2: To do with access and to be able to create access through private and public partnerships with the state and the city. The only thing that moves governance is visibility and a critical mass.
Speaker 3: So this is where, this is where the.
Speaker 2: Where the customary way on how we deal one to another in the contributive community. How how important that is because once a governor or a mayor or accounting president sees all of these people galvanized not just from a reactive sense, but from a proactive sense that says, we have a plan, right, we will work with said developer because they are what they are part of the one percent who actually get capital, right, and we'll work with them, but they're going to do what we want them to do, not what they're going to tell us we're going to get, because ultimately that's going to displace us anyway, right, So we have to be very proactive in understanding the industry and understanding you know how investment works.
Speaker 1: And I think finally, so when you look at where you live and this is for this is your example, but when other folks who are listening to this start to think about what opportunities and resources governments provide, you know, I think about where I'm at, State of Ohio. It's a lot of resources for entrepreneurs and how do you how do you tap in though, because that's kind of sometimes the trip up is like we don't know where that first phone call needs to be made or do you have to be somebody to get the attention?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: So can you speak on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know that's very layered. I mean you you want to.
Speaker 2: It's about partnership, right, and it's it's about a culmination of different talents, and it's about having that unified understanding that you know, we're all leaders but but but here is the.
Speaker 3: Vision that we all share and we are all talking about the same things.
Speaker 2: We all want the same things, but we're talking about them in our silos. Right, We've got to come out of the silo. We've got an actual to become a true network of economic development, health, safety, education, tourism, local entertainment, international integration, diversity of management.
Speaker 3: Legal accounting.
Speaker 2: We've got to put our we've got to put all of our talents into the pot and then connect with that that that advocate within governance, that says I will advocate for you guys, but you but having the full vision is really important, and having a big vision is really important. And you know, I'm a I'm a I'm a spiritual guy. You know, I'm a PK. So I come from from that God sense. And so one of the things that spoke to me in my spirit one day as I was driving was you don't need permission to share the vision.
Speaker 3: And so if we're waiting for permission to share our vision, then we are.
Speaker 2: Going to miss the window in which that vision was given for us to share. And we're always really scared to go out there on our own because nobody wants to fall on their own sword. But if somebody is not brave enough to say, look, here is something very big that I've been thinking of.
Speaker 3: Here's how I think it could be put together. You know, who who's with me? Right? This there Jerry Maguire moments like who's coming with me? Because this is big?
Speaker 2: Right and this is gonna and this is transformational, right. We don't need transaction anymore. We need transformation. So for the people who are wondering like how do I do this, come together with the smartest people that you know and say, look, I've got some ideas. I know you've got some ideas. Let's foltron this thing together. Share it with the governor, share it with the mayor, share it with you know, our local reps. We started with our local state rep who wrote letters for us on our behalf.
Speaker 3: But I had to show him something, you know, in order.
Speaker 2: In order to get him to get him, i want to say, bought in, but to get him excited and motivated about what the possibilities were, because nobody in development was talking about micro grids and digital infrastructure and communications and we weren't talking about that.
Speaker 3: We were just talking about building buildings and grocery stores and affordable housing.
Speaker 2: Just really being able to understand the landscape of our community and the needs.
Speaker 3: And necessities of it.
Speaker 2: You know, that's that's really kind of you know, in the in a few minutes that I have that, I would say that that's what's going.
Speaker 3: To be done.
Speaker 1: Black tech, Green money is a production of Blavity afro Tech on the Black Effect podcast Network in Nheart Media. Is produced by Morgan Debond and me Well Lucas. The additional production support by Sarah Ergin in Love Beach. Special thank you to Michael Davis and Kay McDonald. Learn more about my guests and other tech disruptors and innovators at afrotech dot com. Enjoy your Black Tech, Green Money, Share this with somebody, go get your money, peace and love. Check me out at the annual Black Effect Podcast Festival, happening Saturday, April twenty seven in Atlanta. Live podcasts are on deck from some of your favorite shows, including this one, Black Tech, Green Money, and also some of the best podcasts in the game like Deeply Well with Debbie Brown and Carefully Reckless. Atlanta is one of my favorite cities in the world. I lived there for two years. Actually, in my worldview, seeing us successful in every industry and not having any limits on our potential largely was shaved by Atlanta. To to be there with you doing this podcast talking about how we build or leverage technology to bill wealth. Come on, man, doesn't get better. I want to see you there. Get your tickets today at Black Effect dot com back Slash Podcast Festival,