Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of The Weekly Zeitgeist. These are some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza. Yeah, So, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist. Miles. We are thrilled to be joined in our third and fourth seat. Fourth Bye two legends, legend mate, hilarious stand up comedians who host one of the great podcasts to ever do it, The Dollar, an American history podcast which just celebrated Speaking of American History celebrated its tenth anniversary in existence. Please welcome to the show, Dave, Anthony and Gareth right on, Ye, welcome, Thank you guy. Guys.
Speaker 2: How's it Colling is? Happy Prepper Day?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Thanks, report to you as well. May everyone with your spirit booth your details.
Speaker 4: I'm teaching my son how to make homemade claymarsh cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that won't blow off in your hands, like oh no, yeah, I hope not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's how I lost.
Speaker 4: That's how I lost my last one. But the first two if memory yeah too. Okay, yeah, it was two, but this one's fourteen. The other ones were eight, So.
Speaker 3: I feel good about where this one's yeah, you're tweaking the property, like introduce them to the plastic explosives like at eleven.
Speaker 6: That's right, Yeah, right, I get it. I get it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Ten years though, is pretty I mean, like we were just Jack and our thinking like we're about to we're getting into like our seventh year, not later this year, and like is that forever? But ten also, like from even from seven years feels like a super long time.
Speaker 1: So just so you get each other on your tenth anniversary, y podcast co.
Speaker 5: Hosts, Well, tenth tenth is the woods Sacrifice the wooden one. Yeah, so we jerked off in front of each other there you go for the first time for the wood Yeah, yeah, exactly, yeah, precisely, precisely. No, it's absolutely It's really crazy, and I don't even think it was. I don't know personally, I didn't really think about it too much until we were actually like doing a thing for it, and then I was like, this is really crazy.
Speaker 1: Ten years.
Speaker 5: In general, I've always thought that about like my niece and nephew. I'm like they now I can tell that I'm aging because of their existence.
Speaker 2: I'm the same with the dollars, like when.
Speaker 5: We started, I mean the fact that I was like mid thirties of like I was a kid.
Speaker 6: Right right right, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Child, strange child, babe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, it's great.
Speaker 2: We're very happy and glad to move on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, focus on the work, thank you.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, we all bent back to the work talking about you know, weirdos.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, yeah, I mean you just I gotta say the most recent episode as of this publishing, is one of my favorite dolls ever. I've been listening for a long time, but still got the fastball, you know, some Lebron James longevity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. We went to Germany.
Speaker 5: We got special injections in Germany. Yeah, that's really helped.
Speaker 1: Loose. Yeah we're loose.
Speaker 2: We're still loose.
Speaker 6: Yeah, stem cells straight into the base of the skull.
Speaker 1: You know, you're good. Yeah, we're good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it is amazing too because even in the episode, you're like, do we have like another like a goat side character, and you're and that's ten years in and it's still finding just the McCormick dude gave us quite a quite quite a lot for me to actually envision as you guys were talking about that guy and all of his you know, contraptions and lifestyle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's some that are like, there's somewhere it's like, Okay, you gotta like, you know, it's historically very interesting and you maybe need to try to well out a little more comedy. And then there's somewhere you're like, I gotta like stop. I mean, this is going to be a four hour episode. You know, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 1: Can ribing this guy?
Speaker 7: Actually?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Could you read that again?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Like I said, I think it was the first time. I was like, you read like a paragraph one more time.
Speaker 1: To yeah, amazing. Well, we're actually going to talk about that guy because the premise of this episode, we want to discuss some of the themes that kind of pop up time and again on the doll up in American history that we have seen. Now, this might seem strange because Americans famously very historically literate people, and that's supposed to be the cure for having history repeat itself. But there are a couple things that we see popping up in the zeitgeist, the modern zeitgeist, So we wanted to just kind of talk about some of these trends, get you guys thoughts on some of these trends that you've covered a couple of times and that are still that we are covering in our daily his podcast.
Speaker 5: It's funny because it is like history, the saying history does repeat itself. It was actually extremely lazy because to your point, it's like, yeah, if people just I mean, I'm among them, But if people just paid attention, you'd be like, hey, no, we're like, that's where we get Nazi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, careful, we did this one. Yeah this is bad. We did this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got a lot of unemployed soldiers.
Speaker 1: I don't think that goes well enormous, it doesn't. Yeah, all right, whatever either way.
Speaker 2: Do you see the Connors this week?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But we got Wi Fi now though, that's a difference. Dude. Yeah, I don't watch the Connors since it went woke. What is something from your search history that is revealing about who you are or what you're Oh.
Speaker 7: It's a little controversial.
Speaker 8: My search history is always go wacky though, So I literally am giving you the most recent thing I looked up, which is twelve waitresses kidnapped from North Korea.
Speaker 7: Oh, this is literally the last thing I said.
Speaker 1: The new albums is someone's album.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's USAID sponsored.
Speaker 3: It'll be on Radio America or whatever. Yeah, propaganda news radio is Wait, so what's dare I ask what this is?
Speaker 8: It's just this story from a few years ago where Okay, so I don't know if you know this, but in North Korea they have restaurants in other places around the world, and like people from North Korea will go work in the restaurants, and I guess there are these twelve waitresses who had a manager of this restaurant and they were all working there and he was like, yeah, we're gonna go.
Speaker 7: It's gonna be so cool.
Speaker 8: We're gonna go to China to work in this restaurant or South Korea, can't even remember which.
Speaker 7: And when they left the country.
Speaker 8: He was like, hah, psych, you're defectors now and I just made one hundred k and they were like, what like horrified. And so you have these twelve women who were like, we just want to go back home, and their manager got paid like one hundred thousand dollars to traffic them out.
Speaker 7: Of the country. Basically, it's a wild story.
Speaker 8: Okay, I'm pretty sure it's by Nis, which is the South Korean's equivalent, like South Korea's equivalent of like the CIA or like the FBI, like intelligence services.
Speaker 7: But again, I just cursed. It was like a hasty like I remember this story, I need to reread this again so it's not super fresh in the mind. I pulled it up for later rereading.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, right, right, so you're right, we're not fully vetting anything right now.
Speaker 1: But wait, so they have.
Speaker 3: I didn't even realize that there are restaurants outside of North Korea that then like just what service like sort of like soft propaganda centers.
Speaker 7: I think it's maybe. Yeah, they do like food.
Speaker 8: They also do like song and dance that's like traditional to North Korea. I mean, North Korea has like a fairly open trade alliance with China, so people from North Korea go to China sometimes there's trade that goes back and forth between them.
Speaker 7: So I'm pretty sure the bulk of the restaurants are in China.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh wow.
Speaker 3: And according to this article, the manager said he according to him, he said, these tickets to get them to Malays show.
Speaker 1: We're paid for by the NIS.
Speaker 7: There we go. See my memory wasn't so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, there you go. Okay, interesting right yeah yeah, And it's controversial because some people say it didn't happen, or people just don't I don't.
Speaker 5: I think people have like.
Speaker 8: A really people have a this is something I've learned on the internet s week. People have a real resistance to learning anything about what happens in North Korea. So I think it's controversial because people are like, there's no way a man would be paid one hundred thousand dollars to smuggle random women out of North Korea to beat the factors, And you're like, oh, that happened to this guy and he's like, yeah, you got me.
Speaker 1: Right wild Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Americans are definitely like when it comes to like a thing that you're so like hit over the head with over the years, and like and it's this weird place where it's all messed up and it probably has nothing to do with anything America ever did. It's just weird on its own, on its own, and then you figure shit out and you're like wait, I think, wait, what what what's happening here? I don't think this is why it's weird, but okay, go off, Yeah, are.
Speaker 8: Are involvement is It's like an endless source of fascination to me. So I'm always like learning new things, and I'm like, oh, what, right, right.
Speaker 9: Right, totally, Joe, What is something you think is underrated? I think we underrate the toll and task of the food delivery driver. And I know there was some discourse about this recently and food delivery in general online, And I've always felt this way because I used to drive for Postmates years ago, and I always felt like the understanding that food delivery is an extreme luxury had never really been fully understood by the consumer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I just have memories of like picking up truly like no disrespect but panda express things of this nature, driving to a disrespect to.
Speaker 1: The people over at Panda.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but then going to like a terribly difficult area of town to park, like if people know La, like a place like Korea Town, having to having no choice but to park in front of a fire hydrant, in front of a massive tower, going inside the tower, having to check in with security, having to wait for them to activate one of the elevators, which is always Yeah, it's always a thing, and it takes a really long time. And then you finally get in there, you go up to whatever floor they're on, you get off, and then you have to navigate the labyrinth that is the Gigantic apartment complex, right go to their front door to deliver Panda Express to their front door, and there is Listen, I don't need a cheerful thank you necessarily. But then when you go back in your car, see that you have a ticket. This has taken twenty minutes off of the clock and they did not tip you and you made three dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think it needs to be hammered home that if you're participating in this charade, if you participating this and this is so like extremely taxing and stressful activity for the driver to understand what that's doing and to tip them like essentially one hundred percent, Like there is no you know, a lot of people online were like, well, what if you're neurodivergent and you have to do this, And it's like, listen, that's not what we're talking about, because I know most majority Yeah, yeah, Like if if there's some sort of disability or whatever, that's a different conversation. But I know that there's just a lot of people who just feel entitled to get food delivered to their door, yeah, and not have to pay for the fact that that is the most luxurious thing Oh, for sure.
Speaker 3: It is wild because people are like, well it said the delivery few was like forty nine cents plus like those fees, like that's like isn't that like you're pay It's like no, man, that's they're getting a fraction of that. You think about pass do it exactly? Like these apps are able to skirt minimum wage.
Speaker 1: Yea, yeah, these aren't employees. These are independent contractors that aren't.
Speaker 4: It's also is brutal.
Speaker 10: Also, I just can't imagine the lack of awareness or the evil balls it would take. I would be horrified to not tip someone doing that knowing the knowing, like the way that kind of system has been constructed. Yeah, to ship on the people working there, for sure.
Speaker 1: But I think that's it.
Speaker 3: That's like the genius of so many of like these apps and things. It's like they obscure the toll that it takes on the human being for you to get your fucking, you know, fucking cell phone case that you wanted on Prime to say, or you know, getting door dashed. It just feels like, I don't know, I pressed a button and then like because I put like, don't even talk to me, just leave it at the door and it just appears, and I know not of the person on the other side who's like to deal with the same fucking gas prices that everyone else does and just getting yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: And if I can, you know, proselytize a little bit, I would advocate for meeting your driver maybe out on the road. And if you don't want to do that and you live in an apartment building at least in the lobby.
Speaker 1: Just walk down. Yeah, make it easier for them.
Speaker 9: It's also turnover, turnover, turn and it's it's good for you as well because you don't have to like wonder if they're going to be able to find your door. Like, just make it easy so that you can get your food faster and then come back up. The other thing I will say is, if you're doing delivery food, really reconsider getting a drink or a milkshake because those are very difficult to transport. I don't think people immediately consider that. But when you have just a bag of food, you put in the passenger seat or you put it on the floor, it's easy. But if you have something you're juggling that could spill, it's very difficult. Well, not only to place in your car, as you're transporting it, but then as you're trying to pick it up and then open your door and then close the car door and then lock it and then get to then open the door of the building.
Speaker 1: All this stuff.
Speaker 9: If you're juggling like a big frothy milkshake, that's just seventeen frappuccinos that you ordered, Yes, exactly. Yeah, there is a have you seen There's a subreddit called door dash Gremlin, and it's as people who like when they get the like the food dropped off, like if they're verifying that it's dropped off for the photo. It's people that have been caught getting the bag from the door while the photo's being taken, so like rather than like the photo of like a bag by the door, it's like someone like in just a T shirt like Winnie the Poo style, like their taco bellt like ah, and so people like when they end up being a gremlin, they usually upload it and it's always funny to see and like that's when you can tell you're like, man, was it really?
Speaker 1: Did you really have to get that delivery?
Speaker 6: But right, I get it sometimes, but look, if you're gonna do it, at least fu tip and cost.
Speaker 9: Is like that acknowledge the way to do it a luxury, Yeah, in a in a fair equitable way.
Speaker 1: What is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 11: Okay, this is pretty niche. What is your just general knowledge of David Mammont the playwright?
Speaker 1: I know, I think I read American Buffalo in college. I don't even know if that's the right name. Obviously Glengarry Glen Ross and yeah that's and then his daughter was in Girls. Yes, that's okay, what I've got for you, perfect, Andrew.
Speaker 12: I was double checking. I I thought he had written the only movie I'd ever walked out of it, but I was incorrect.
Speaker 1: So I I think of.
Speaker 12: David Mammott as it's just like every character is David mammontt I love. I love when everyone has the exact same voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's it. Yeah, all his characters talk the same way. And I and I remember like making fun of David Mammont when I was in college was like a highly like literary, sophisticated thing to do. Like I remember somebody being like, I just imagine David Mammett plays as a bunch of chickens up there saying the lines to each other and everyone like laughed really hard, and I was like, yes, I get that you've been owned Mammot, but I don't know. He felt to me like with just very little context, Like it felt like one of those people who like gets super big in literary circles. And then everyone's like, wait, this kind of sucks, right, we were wrong. We were wrong about this, like really quickly after that, I had.
Speaker 13: A different I mean, same bit different.
Speaker 11: So unfortunately I went to acting school where David Mammont plays are taught to you is good. And also he has things where he's like every like no one can ever change a word. And not only that, my commas are so fucking precise if you do not take a breath, where the comma is like you're a actor.
Speaker 13: So like that was how David Mammick kum.
Speaker 7: In my life.
Speaker 11: Then I was like, oh, he's an EPO daughter. Then it moved on okay, So he came out with a new book recently and it entered my worldview because it's like kind of memoir ish and it's called Everywhere in Oink Oink, and the tagline is like how everyone in Hollywood is a fucking pig like poink oink like and it's like how everyone is like not creative and how they ruined his projects and how like everyone in a suit is pig and I was like, I would fucking love to read that. So I get this book being like this is gonna this is gonna be a book I'd like to read.
Speaker 13: Him shit on like shitting on people. That sounds fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like like one of those like William gold Golden memoirs where he just like spills and it's like, here's why this sucks, and like he's right half the time in a way where you're like, oh shit, that's crazy.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that is what I expected. So impossible to understand even a single sentence. I think the second sentence is like diversity and equity and have ruined Hollywood. He's full maga. Like paragraph one is like and Trump was pretty good. Then I'm like, okay, but let's get I'm gonna try page two. You can't understand anything. He's choosing high words he's not using. It's ineligible.
Speaker 13: I go on good raids.
Speaker 11: The famous David Mammont at that point had four Good Reads reviews. When you were famous, you should at least get one hundred trolls. Yeah, all four good Reads reviews are like, this is not even a book.
Speaker 1: Now he's doing an accident. Was this a mistake?
Speaker 11: He's like, it's exactly what you said where it's like, I guess twenty years ago we were like, isn't he so smart? And now we've all grown up and we're like, oh, he's the dumbest man alive. And he's on a full MAGA tour telling people that diversity and equity imis have ruined Hollywood. And so anyways, I just in case anyone out there didn't know that David Mammont is a full on piece of point point himself.
Speaker 1: I wanted y'all.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I guess he was like liberal toast to the town and now he's magas.
Speaker 1: Are like kind of getting together and being like this is uh, this is a real problem. Some would say the real problem diversity in Hollywood is.
Speaker 6: It's the only one disaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, even though my daughter was on a huge TV show, diversity initiatives are blocking her next fame.
Speaker 1: Yeah she was. She was good in Madame Web.
Speaker 13: But I will say, kid, I can't believe you saw that.
Speaker 12: I will say this one of my top cinema experiences of last of this year. Whenever Yurine was out, it was really fun. I'll just do the spoiler now, which is clearly off of that that like the virality of that insane line from the trailer. They cut it in the actual cut of the film, and it is like the biggest tease. The whole theater wet nuts when they don't finish the line.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 13: Wait, what's the line? Because I actively tried to hide from any madament.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 12: It's something about like this is the villain whatever his name is. He he was researching spiders in the Amazon with my mother when she died, right before she died, right before she died, somewhere like and they say three quarters of the line and then it just cuts, like clearly post trailer they cut it, and or maybe the line was cobbled together for the trailer, but it was like like everyone in the theater was like mouthing the words along and then.
Speaker 1: It stops and it was just like, ah, the hits Yeah, everyone's losing their minds. It's so fun to see in her theater. He was in the Amazon with my mom when she was researching spiders just before she died. Now, you guys are both writers, sometimes you need to get exposition out and like just get it out there, you know.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's what I call a studio No. And when you're ever, you're like watching TV and you're like, why did that happen? It's almost always because they have to say something, and if you don't know how to do the creative part, you only know how to do the logical part.
Speaker 13: So they'll give notes of like but how and why is she there? I have really had a big question of.
Speaker 11: That, and I love that the writer was like, he's there because the Amazon and she died just before the spiders.
Speaker 2: Okay, fuck you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I literally have had lines in scripts that I've like marked on my side of final draft as like this is just to get it past you know, the exacts.
Speaker 1: And then there are times when they've almost.
Speaker 12: Made it to air or whatever, I'm just like, no, no, no, no, no no, I was just giving what you want to show you how dumb you were?
Speaker 1: Oh no oh no no no oh no oh no yeah wow, Like that line now that is really the that's the one that we're gonna want to put in the fucking trailer like, h this case, like it's wonderful, highly recommend Lynchpin. That was Yeah, I had no idea Sydney Sween he was in that movie, like she was like having a massive moment, but like they don't even like put her in the trailer.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And why did Dakota Johnson say yes? She is such a git in Hollywood? Like there's so few young stars that will green light a movie, get a green a movie greenlit, like for your budget. I imagine she could have had any Marvel character, any non Sony Marvel project, any.
Speaker 13: Movie, well even on just not that movie. How did they get hurt?
Speaker 1: Why did she say yes? She just vi?
Speaker 12: I think she was basically told you're going to be Spider Man. This is identical the Spider Man. Why are we speculating this? We could probably yeah, it's I don't.
Speaker 11: Know, but I think listen between, you have to rewatch Madam Webb or you have to watch all three fifty shades of Gray?
Speaker 1: Which what do you do? Yeah? I told you I love Madame Webb? And are you are you disappointed that it will not be that the saga of Madame Webb will not be continuing for us?
Speaker 12: I like you know, now it's all headcannon. Now she's just wearing like Red oak Ley's in the in the whole universe of my brain.
Speaker 1: And it's wonderful. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and cover some news, and we're back. We're back. And as we were talking about up top, one of the geniuses of the dollar is that we're hearing these stories that are so outrageous they seem like everyone should know them, like they should be in their history books or at least have like a couple movies made about them. At this point. That's one of the persistent thoughts in my head when I'm listening to Adopt, is like, how did I not know this? I think, Gareth, you say that pretty frequently. But unfortunately, the fact that they're not well known in some cases seems like one of the reasons some of these trends that we're about to talk about never really go away, because there's like certain things that we just memory whole as a as a at least as a country. I don't want to speak for the whole species, but we're just like, yeah, now that never happened. That's too much, that's too entertaining. So yeah, we wanted to kind of highlight some of these trends or details from past dollup episodes that we keep seeing turn up in our show about the moderns, Like Ice didn't get you guys thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think it's not so much like their trends, right, because it's not like racism isn't like a trend misogyny, but it's just sort of like these constants issues, yeah, that we like can never grapple with and somehow like our besting ourselves from three centuries ago, we're like, oh, you want to see racism cut to late seven?
Speaker 1: He's Boston or some ship. Yeah yeah, oh okay, that was I thought we got past that phase.
Speaker 3: But I think that's the interesting reminder is how how little we've actually come, you know, like how like how how slow progress is because you have these reminders of like, for as much as we want to, especially in America, be like, no, we live in like a post racial uh you know, like more equitable society like no, no, no, no, no no, yeah, the freaks are still out in fucking full force.
Speaker 1: We just don't we just ignore them.
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, yeah, we'll we ignore them. We give them more power.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's kind of what it is. It's like we've never really been able to bat in the hatch for a long time. It's like you have those swings where you're like, holy shit, you know, we got to like women need to choice, you know, you get whatever.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: The the litany of things that we were like, yeah, now we're good with that, but there's always that force that's always.
Speaker 2: Like I'm still coming, motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, it's like when they regroup. Yeah. Yeah, Well, speaking of the phrase, how little we've come and I'm coming, motherfucker. I want to just start with a light one, which is you've covered it, like from the early days of the Serial Guys episode about like Kellogg's and Graham and Post and how focused they were on keeping people from jacking off to the recent episode that I'm drawing waltz Waaltska.
Speaker 11: Is that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, where you covered a Hall of Fame side character who had a contraption designed to keep himself from jacking off on our side. We saw this with the Speaker of the House recently, where I don't know if this one's worse, it's definitely more convolent.
Speaker 2: Kind of weird involved family.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, So we're talking about Speaker of the House Mike Johnson, who currently, as far as we know, has software on his phone that sends his on a report if he jacks off to pornography, like his son will get we'll be told about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here, because that's just like father son bonding.
Speaker 2: Right, we get it.
Speaker 1: We get it, Dave. We're parents, you know.
Speaker 4: We Yeah, you guys understand, Like, my kid's fourteen, so I get like nineteen alert to day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hearing him describe it to a panel of other like evangelicals is really well, like so proud.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He talks about how he first heard it during like a gathering of like the Promise Keepers, which is like an evangelical like men's group, and he's like, I was look at early two thousands and I was like, and I'm not even endorsing it. I don't even make money. But I'm like, I endorse it because I use it. But this is him explaining in his own way how how this technology works.
Speaker 1: But my head, how it works.
Speaker 14: But it scans you. You obviously opt into it, but it scans every all the activity on your phone or your devices, your laptop, tablet. What have you, We do all of it, and then it sends a report to your accountability partner. So my account accountability partner right now is Jack, my son, right and so he's seventeen. So he and I get a report of all the things that are on our phones or all of our devices once a week. If anything, your accountability partner gets an immediate notice. I'm proud to tell you my son is he's got a clean slate, all right, But we get we get a report and it says, hey, no, no activity of concern. And it's really really sensitive. It'll pick up almost anything. It looks for keywords, search terms, and also images, and it will send your accountability partner a blurred picture of the image. And so on occasion I get one. I was just looking at the one from this week I got on Jack, and it said this, this is the only one that may be questionable. And it's this blurred image of two women talking in a live screen thing and I zoom in and I have to unblur it and it's in it's two middle aged teachers.
Speaker 5: Okay, cool, Well, then the technology actually fucking sucks if it's looking at two teachers talking and it's like pawn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he didn't say, he didn't say what they were doing.
Speaker 1: I couldn't be teachers genre.
Speaker 5: And then I saw the image and that I had jacked off to it. And then so I said, Jack a message that my.
Speaker 4: Son are jerking off together in different rooms. That's what the that's what the technology is for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just I'm glad.
Speaker 3: I just I'm glad he's taking you know, him and his you know, his mother and I we split, but and I got remarried, and he he actually seems really close with his stepmother, at least based on what I'm seeing all these searches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he walked in on him the other day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, and decided to teach him, teach him how it really start actually jerk.
Speaker 2: Off, which I said, to tend me a image of that.
Speaker 4: I wonder, I wonder how his son has figured out to get around the technology to be able to watch porn, because you know.
Speaker 5: It's just so fucking clean. It's the dumbest ship in the world, because it's like it is, it's just like, look, first of all, just let the a jack off, like he's not into this.
Speaker 1: Like you you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: He watched the jack off, like let him.
Speaker 1: Figure it out.
Speaker 5: Like, you know, I was able before phones. I was able to find naked fucking pictures, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are ways ripped like physical ripped out pages from magazines that like held onto like they were the Dead Sea scrolls and you're.
Speaker 1: Like, oh man, it's all I got.
Speaker 3: But like, also, you could get a burner phone. I'd imagine you could just get a burner phone. If he has to jerk off mobiley or whatever, use his friends go to the library like adults do.
Speaker 4: What would be awesome if your dad was like, hey, man, I want to set this up and you'll be my accountability partner, and then you just start just constantly jerking off until he's like.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't want to be here. Really disturbing. Man, all right, you wanted to see what's up? What's going on in this body town?
Speaker 2: Man, I'm having a real asshole renaissance dad.
Speaker 1: But this is yeah, I mean this is persistent across I'm sure I'm missing some, but like the the guy who created like ankle ankle harnesses that I would keep his hands on his ankles, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's there's entire like there's the Oh God, what was the sanatorium in Michigan called the Battle Battle Creek like that? That place was just a myriad of like ways not to jerk off, like there were just there's just been there's been tons of these about history of people just like how can we not do this? And it all comes out like you said, this is from the religious uh Promise Keepers, which we did an episode on, But it all comes out of that because it's just them talking to each other and they don't realize everyone else is like, no, that's crazy, but they're just in their little group and they're like, yeah, we shouldn't be jerking off, right and everyone else so much it's good.
Speaker 5: What's so great about the male body is that if you don't jerk it off in your sleep, it will fucking jerk you off, Like you can't get away from it, Like you can't tell me that's not part of God's plan. If I go to sleep and my pen is just like we're gonna ejaculate to like what is the line here?
Speaker 2: Like my brain is jacking my dick off at night?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Back to those preppers who are trying to figure out if the gas and the drums is still good. It's like, no, man, you got to get rid of that. Yeah, yeah, get it out, man, Refresh, refresh, exercise really shit. Yeah, It's just like was that machine though, like I know you were calling it the hankle machine, I think Gareth and the show, But like, is was that like an articulated device like that we knew what it was or was like, is that is that some custom work?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I think I think really he just had a thing that he could clamp his hands to his ankles, right, so he yeah, he was like so he must have slept like bent over, like in a really painful, terrible position. And yeah, I'm sure he had a horrible back aches. But but yeah, so it was like a clamping your likes yeah.
Speaker 1: Jackals, Yeah, wackles, and of course probably people who just wanted to jag off more than anybody else and assumed everybody else was struggling with this same issue, right and so yeah yeah, but yeah, I mean, and it is like the fact that it's how we got like so much breakfast cereal. In an indirect way, Graham Crackers is just like, I don't know, we we let we let ourselves remember puritanism because you know, people like trying to be puritanical about sex and you know, stuff like that. But I think there's just like something so inherently embarrassing about about.
Speaker 15: People just feeling like, ge't stop jacking off over here, like let's water spring water that they just gets memoried.
Speaker 4: The Graham cracker thing and the grape nuts thing is just crazy, like they really thought of food would stop them from jerking off. Like it didn't work. Yeah, obviously there's no like they keep eating him and everyone's like, no, I'm still hard as a rock.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: How about they all like, you know, the fact that he needs a fucking app so like it really is. It's it's so I never know what that line is because it's like, well, you have the compulsion to do it. Why is where is the line on.
Speaker 1: What you know?
Speaker 2: God has created him? What is your own sinful way?
Speaker 1: Like shouldn't you shouldn't you just not want to jack off? But how we're tested, we're tested with sin you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like such a weird, bizarre flesh video game.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, because it's also just like at the end of the day, like whether it's Puritans or cereal makers or Mike Johnson. It's like this weird denial of humanity. That's like you guys are keeping you're just going to the next thing. So back in those times, you're like I need leather straps. And then the next thing was like what if we ate these fucking crackers And it's like no, and now it's like, you know, I don't know anything but acknowledging the like, look, jack off.
Speaker 2: Maybe we don't jack off. There's probably more problems in the streets period.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think for a lot of these guys though, it's more about what they actually what turns them on. Like you know, they get in there and they're like, well, hold on, this dick and balls was kind of nice, and then they started out like.
Speaker 5: They legislate against gay marriage and all that stuff, and that I mean, if you really think about like the Republican Party, the leader of it was a pedophile like in the two thousands, and you know it was just like a confirmed, confirmed, fucking pedophile, and we don't ever look back on that like, hey, maybe these people protest too much, you know, yeah right right, yeah, well that sucks all right.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we have an app now where your son knows you're not beating off.
Speaker 1: All right, All right, let's move on to this. This was one that we noticed recently with the Caitlin Clark first press conference, oh god, where she had just been drafted number one w NBA had either recently or was about to sign a massive like Lebron James sized deal with Nike or not Lebron James size, but you know, a massive deal. And she had her first press conference at her new team in Indiana, and like one of the journalists was like flirty with her, was like, oh yeah, I like you. You keep doing that. We're gonna get along just fine. And everyone's like fucking gross man, like the heart symbol I do to my family after the game, Yeah, we do. That's fine. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like how he laughed though, too, And you could tell, like the like, based on how the mic was, you could tell he's like turning like his head for laughs, like right, no.
Speaker 2: With a sporting instrument.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean there's also the what Women's World Cup player getting like a forced celebration kiss from one of their coaches? Oh like them they had to resign. But I was, you know, re listening to the Boston Marathon episode that you guys did about the first women to run the Boston Marathon, and you know, the first woman kind of does it in secret, and then the second woman like kind of people people catch on pretty early and it becomes this massive real world reenactment of mad Max Fury Road where there's this guy who's just chasing her around the twenty six mile course like in a bus, like take her out and try to tackle her. Yeah, but after she's successfully completed it, there's this quote from a race official who's like, we need rules. Basically if that girl was my daughter, I'd spank her and again like just wildly embarrassing, like but like almost certainly said with at least three quarters of an erection, you know, like just what what are you talking about? Yeah, but it I don't know. It just feels like this is a consistent trend that we see where specifically in the on the field of play, like that is where men like really just like put their foot down and they're like, nope, no, that not not on my watch. We cannot have impressive athletic feats. We must find a way to sexualize.
Speaker 3: And diminish you, right, or just like we said that to be like and I'm the man, and I get to say this shit to you, even though you may be one of the greatest basketball players of all time.
Speaker 2: But anyway, right, it's very weird in a country that like claims that capitalism is going to show you, you know, let capitalism rule and all that. You're also like it shows.
Speaker 5: The fragility of the male ego to be like, but not that because the sheets so women. But that's been going on. Like we did another episode. It wasn't about sports, but it's about women wearing pants and running. Oh and like you know, they were like before they were like it's just always been something. It's like, you can't you if it literally they were like if women run, they're like uterises will drop out. Yeah, like there's no connection to reality. That's not really necessary. It's always just like you.
Speaker 2: Know, we're doing this for your own good sweetheart, right yeah.
Speaker 5: But but yeah, the way that like a reporter feels comfortable talking to a woman, I mean it is shocking. I mean, I guess at least we're shocked by it and we're not. And it's not like a bunch of guys smoking cigarettes and be like go on.
Speaker 2: A date with her. Lady come on, go on, you to date the man he made the hot symbol.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure he's married, he's only forty years older, but.
Speaker 1: He's got wisdom.
Speaker 2: But it's totally a theme totally in this country.
Speaker 1: It's wild though too.
Speaker 3: I was like just thinking about the oops, my uterus fell out, kind of like myth that persists in like sports. And there's an example in twenty ten. This guy Jan Franco Casper, who is the head of the International Ski Federation, like doubled down on a thing he said in two thousand and five. They're like, now, what were you saying about ski jumping in women? And basically was saying, like, it's not appropriate for ladies from a medical point of view, because again, the impacts could be so jarring that the uterus is dislodged.
Speaker 5: It's like you could say, but like you could very easily be like a man could rupture his scrow, you know what I mean. A guy could ruin his ball skiing too, right, Yeah, I mean I guess thing could happen.
Speaker 3: That shows like the sort of patriarchical nature of being like, well, I'm looking out for your one value that you have to society, which is to reproduce. And if if I don't do that, then I failed as a protector or controller.
Speaker 6: I don't know, that's up to you how you want to describe that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, immediately imagine a scenario where she's your daughter, you fucking creep. Yeah, yeah, I wouldn't let her ski exactly. All right, let's let's take a quick break. We'll come right back. We got a couple more trends to hit. We'll be right back, and we're back. And yeah, so David Busters introducing more gambling to Dave and Busters place that is an arcade for children, presumably. I mean, I guess there's always likes bar and ship. Yeah. Yeah, there's a big barrash Dave Busters. Yeah, but they won't be like sticking a Roulette ta between ski ball machines. But they will be allowing social wagering on games played between people. Oh shit over eighteen mm and only. Yeah, you can't take a kid for it, but you can get the parents to co sign. You know, it's a proxy. Yeah, hey, man, go get your go, get your mom's phone.
Speaker 6: Go get your old man over here. Man, we'll have Yeah, you have to do it through their d MB rewards.
Speaker 1: App Uh huh, Which why do you need an app to make bets with friends instead of just handing someone cash and like shaking hands.
Speaker 3: With them and being yeah, yeah, the old the old ways where you'd be like, I bet I could beat you a ski ball.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, put five on it, all right, put it up.
Speaker 6: But now we need I guess the.
Speaker 1: Issue is nobody has cash anymore. We got Venmo shiit.
Speaker 3: I just I just fucking bet people about the fucking Arsenal game on Sunday light wagers, but still just do it on Venmo, allegedly they.
Speaker 7: So I've never been to a Dave Inbusters.
Speaker 8: I had no idea what was I thought it was an arcade for adults initially, but it's a bar.
Speaker 7: So like theoretically, if you got your kids and.
Speaker 8: You're like, you know what, I hate being a parent, you could just be like, I'm going to go in here get trashed.
Speaker 7: Well, my kid plays in a ballpit. Is that kind of like the idea?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Or it's like like her video games? Yeah, literally exactly what you just described about a week and a half ago.
Speaker 7: Now, because you hate being a parent, you love being a parent, but.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you need a break. Sometimes went to the bar ordered ordered some boneless wings. They have pretty good boneless wings there, and watched my kids play Rampage for an hour and a half. Oh, the old school.
Speaker 3: Arcade game where you're like the mutant animals like sucking up the buildings and yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember.
Speaker 1: That's like the Rock.
Speaker 3: Movie that came out, And I was like, yeah, this, y oh, you're just using the characters and trying to shoehorn the Rock into something again.
Speaker 1: Thinks there's a Lakers game on. There was Rampage that my kid's playing Rampage. There was a celebrity there for some reason, and yeah, so I'm changing my.
Speaker 8: Whole position on David Busters immediately. Then I think maybe David Busters is the third space. Our society has been really lacking, and I think we should just have a David Busters on every corner. This is actually making me under. This is actually a pro family environment, and we need more places where you can bring your kids and drink and gamble simultaneously all across.
Speaker 1: The United States. Do you hear that Vegas?
Speaker 7: We need a mini Vegas on every corner.
Speaker 1: I like it exactly.
Speaker 3: We need people need relief, man, so just let their kids go fight over how many tickets are gonna come out of a little coin pusher game that everyone you always think you're gonna win.
Speaker 6: Everything's a racket.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like now they're definitely like making themselves to be like hey man, it's also like it's a fun place to have a date. Like you can eat and you can play. You get the eaton plate combo. Yeah that's yeah, that's like their new Like.
Speaker 8: I want to say I'm above that, but like, also I go to Barcade, so I think, really, this is just selling me on Dave and Busters and I think I needed a comic.
Speaker 1: Until you go.
Speaker 3: Barcade has a distinctly different vibe than Dave and Busters. You will go to Dave and Busters and you're like, I'm in consumer hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of birthday parties. It's already just pulsating with anxiety and the screams of children, where like you can't tell if they're delighted screams or just freaking being taken.
Speaker 7: Right eighth birthday. That's where I'm doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, do a takeover with adults, like do that thing where like you've ever been like an arcade, like as a kid, like a bunch of adults come in.
Speaker 6: You're like, they shouldn't be here. There's like our kids space, and like the vibe shifts, just do that.
Speaker 1: The Dave and Busters and one of my kids birthday parties that we had at an arcade, it was like all their friends from kindergarten. And then a guy like a leather duster and one leather glove on his hand, who is just there like playing this one one video game over and over and over again. It's just like a professional. He's just like all right, like got there early with his cup of coffee. Just work.
Speaker 8: Wow, I am now humiliated to discover I've probably been this leather jacket one glove man at various points in my life, especially the Santa Cruz Beast boardwalk, Miss.
Speaker 7: Pac Man machine. Yeah yeah, there you go, an unhealthy obsession with that thing for a while.
Speaker 6: Lovely boardwalk though, gotta say beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But so this is part of a boom and betting that they've found increases engagement among sports fans. Digital gamification could have a similar effect within Davembuster's customer base. But the amount of money they're making let me find the exact figure. So US commercial gaming revenue which includes sports betting, online gambling slots, and table games, reach forty nine point nine billion in the first ten months of twenty twenty two, up fourteen point seven percent from the same period in twenty twenty one. So you're over Your revenue reached an all time high in twenty twenty two. So they're just like all that legal betting, all the fact that there's like gambling commercials on TV during like sporting events, like is working, which makes sense, Like of course it is. Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: This company that's doing it is called Lucra, like Lukera bro get it. It's because it's Lucrat TIV.
Speaker 1: It's like Miles, you drop the TIV it's clean. Oh yeah, hey what about TIV man? No, man, it's Lucra. All right, all right.
Speaker 3: I still think TIV is a pretty cool name because he could be anything. But yeah, started by two former Goldman Sachs guys, and they're just like but again, like this is like what's really infuriating about it? Like with one hand, like sports betting, you understand how that works, where this one it's like, what exactly is this sir us you're providing?
Speaker 1: Well, we're careful not to use the term bet or a wager. We are because that makes us subject to licenses and regulations gambling, which is what are We merely facilitate real money contests or challenges.
Speaker 7: Oh those are my favorite things.
Speaker 1: Real money contests or challenges. Yeah, or challenge.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's perfect.
Speaker 7: I love doing that, and I love doing it on an app that ostensibly takes a fee. We're doing it.
Speaker 1: Yes, what is their cut on this?
Speaker 7: How much.
Speaker 1: Of every winning winner? Like when somebody wins, they lose five percent on it and it's all just again could be replaced with a brief conversation and a handshake, but instead people get to use this social media app.
Speaker 3: It just feels like super clunky though too, you know, you know what I mean, Like because the way already, if you're like a degenerate in you already are like trying to find action on like anything, Like you're like, what about Keyball, dude? You want to you want to gamble on that? Like you're not gonna be like all right, sign into Lucra, all right, now, find me a right. Oh oh there's another person, miles great, all right here, let me get my QR code.
Speaker 1: Okay, grinder for people with gambling problems, you know, yeah, but also like who around me would be willing to wager on whether this coin comes up heads three times in a row?
Speaker 3: Right, It's just like a weird I get like on paper why they think this is like the wave, But I also just feel like we always talk about frictionless transactions. This is introducing way too much friction into just like people social wagering or doing real life money challenges over fucking the hoop hotshot hoops game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. The the app has like push ups, can Jam, bar agains, board games, fitness so you can like NBA k is like the top trending game.
Speaker 7: Oh second, one you read an jam? What is that?
Speaker 3: It's this thing where like you you have cans and you're trying to throw like a frisbee into like a slot. It's like it's like part of this new generation of like games people have just invented. But then everyone's like, oh, hell yeah, dude, I love hell yeah, I love can Jam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like carnival games.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, this kind of reminds me of when everybody was really into like disc golf. Yeah, like frisbee golf and you're like, what is and it was so popular for like a year and then.
Speaker 1: Just still popular. It's still popular. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's like a like a frall frisbee golf spot near like this part I go to in town and there are people do There's people there every fucking like on the weekends in the morning.
Speaker 7: Like it's like we're gonna get can jam courses soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's in our parks.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It is kind of fun because you can like like smash the and it's just a frisbee game that you can just do with low stakes. It's easy to understand. But yeah, we love a new we love a new backyard game in this country.
Speaker 1: I cleaned out on candy Land, you guys on Lucra Bro. Yeah, Lucra, I owe my next three paychecks because I just got on a real bad run where I kept drawing that ice cream cone one even though I was like right at the end, so it just kept taking me back there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's why I only do shoots and ladders, man. So I got my Lambo. You're one of the great pushing that lambeau because it shoots and ladders, bro. People people said it couldn't be done man, and anyway, just so just for the listeners, you can take my course I'm offering right now on Instagram. I'll show you the secrets on how to use Lucra so you can also have a lambo.
Speaker 1: I was actually just shot ladders.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, if you had some sort of online course, I could spend roughly one hundred and ninety nine dollars on well for like a thirty minute YouTube video.
Speaker 7: So I'm so glind to know.
Speaker 1: I'm so bad. I think the parentheses shoots and and parentheses ladder to success exactly. But I'm glad you asked.
Speaker 3: Actually, I'm not one of these people who's trying to gouge people for some kind of like you know, impersonal scam thing like you said, one hundred ninety nine dollars.
Speaker 1: No way, for ninety nine dollars, that's a great deal actually now, yeah, ninety nine dollars.
Speaker 3: You will get a link to a TikTok playlist of some videos that just kind of threw together.
Speaker 1: But it's exclusive videos my next week. Yeah, oh you will, you will. I'm gonna have to pull you in a datedbusters.
Speaker 3: Are you good at any video games? Like do you think there is something like you feel confident enough. You're like, y'all, I'll put twenty on that.
Speaker 8: I mean, yeah, but they're all outdated games like the games I'm really good at with stuff you played like on Nintendo.
Speaker 7: In the eighties.
Speaker 6: You know, Duck Hunt.
Speaker 8: So the Duck Hunt great. The one game though that it's like, I'm so good at it. It's stopped being cool and became embarrassing is Mario Kart. Like you can tell people socially. Sometimes people will be like, oh haha, you have a switch you went, do you want to play Mario Kart?
Speaker 7: And it's so bad.
Speaker 8: I have to do like a pream. We'll have to be like, okay, we could play Mario Kart. There's some things you got to know.
Speaker 1: It's not going to be fun for you.
Speaker 8: Number one, I can handicap myself in the game to make it fun for you.
Speaker 7: For you, it's so embarrassing. And the worst part is people like, oh ha ha, cool, You're good, and then you play and.
Speaker 8: Then it reaches this awkward moment where I'm just like destroyed everyone and I have storing wait for them to finish.
Speaker 7: And it's like not cool. It's like putting everything you like.
Speaker 8: I can tell you did this for many hours in lou of forming real bombs with human beings.
Speaker 1: They have art. Have you played the arcade version of Mario Kart? Oh my god, I'm afraid.
Speaker 3: Full sit down with a steering wheel. It's like really fun anyway, So what do you do?
Speaker 7: I'm going to be clean and up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's go. Who do you race with? What character do you race with? Oh?
Speaker 7: What character? You got to go the midweight characters.
Speaker 8: So if you play on the switch, you can play with yourself, with your me because it's a midway. Yeah yeah yeah, but otherwise, yeah, you want to stick to like Mario's a midweight character. You know, I got the whole because so embarrassed, God is humiliating. I have the I do want the vehicle for perfect balance.
Speaker 7: Like it's like it is real embarrassing. Yeah, but that's the thing. Certain things.
Speaker 8: It's like when you go to karaoke and you watch someone and they're like so good at karaoke, starts to get a little depressing.
Speaker 7: You're like, yeah, yeah this is important to you. You're good at it, Like things could have gone differently for you.
Speaker 8: But like you work in accounting, you know, like it's like that it's at a certain point you're so good at things that it's just kind of sad, and yeah it is unfortunately.
Speaker 7: I mean with Mario Kart, there a.
Speaker 1: Whole demeanor changes. As they sing the first lines of I Will Always Love You. They're like, oh my god, Okay, no, no, get out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the people are coming in crying. They're like, you're not even part of this party. But the thing with Mario Kart, it's so funny. Like I was playing with my nieces and nephews who are like just getting like they have a switch, and like, I'm really good at Mario Kart, and I did the opposite of you.
Speaker 6: I said, oh okay, i'n't played in a minute, and I'm.
Speaker 9: Like, you.
Speaker 6: Stupid, stupid, stupid young child.
Speaker 1: I got you right where I want you.
Speaker 6: And the first time I did the boost on them, like off the off the starting line, they were like.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I've been down since nineteen ninety two. Don't even attempt to get with me. The booster has had you time it with the yeah, yeah, yeah, just you. It's all Margins, baby.
Speaker 6: When you're racing, you learn that from Formula one, you know, And yeah I like that, and I fuck with Luigi.
Speaker 7: You know that if you're not drifting, you're not winning.
Speaker 1: That's just how it using a break. So drifting is a part of it, because I thought I was pretty good by the by the time I was done playing in sixty four Mario Kart for a while. But so drifting do the boost? I think I know those two tricks got anything else that I should.
Speaker 8: You just want you want your build to be really solid, Like you want to go with a midweight driver, a midweight vehicle, and then you want to do a heavyweight tire and a lightweight they have like the Umberella thing attacked. I a't fully understand the function of the umbrella. I'm being perfectly honest.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I have found this is the ultimate build.
Speaker 8: And again this is very this is not making me look cool at all, where it's like you're too invested in this for your age.
Speaker 3: But we all have that, Like I have video games too, where I'm like putting hours of my life away and my partner, her majesty, she'll be like, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Like I got to get all the characters to look the right way She's like, have you've played yet. I'm like, no, I can't until they look right.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I mean that's fair. I think that's that's real.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, you know, games are important to people in different ways, so who am I to judge, Especially with a game like Mario Kart, where I'm I always like to It's always interesting to see the people.
Speaker 1: Who are like no, I get down with the cart. So yeah, all right, all right, I got some ideas for next time you're on.
Speaker 8: So yeah, and I do have some money making opportunities awaiting me at Dave and Busters, which.
Speaker 1: Is good you could actually, I think so they like the games that you can play for tickets have like a certain number of lights, like a certain color of like lights around them. At the Dave and Busters that I was going to and my kids played the ones that like you couldn't win tickets on, and it was hugely disappointing to everybody involved. So there's a little pro tip for you. Yeah. By the way, the country, like experts are saying that America's gambling problem, exacerbated by like the convenience of apps, is a ticking time bomb, and yeah, I'm sure, I'm sure it'll be fine.
Speaker 6: But oh yeah, dude, I love that song from Rancid, Like.
Speaker 1: Forty nine point nine billion dollars is so many lost bets. That's like such such a massive like that's all it is. That's all money being made off of people losing.
Speaker 3: Bets, right, the same thing as like when you think of like a crypto millionaire two when it's yeah, right, right, right right, that's right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's it's definitely a sign that an economy is going really really well.
Speaker 1: I think when society and gym, yeah.
Speaker 7: Daddy's going up.
Speaker 1: I think that's good.
Speaker 6: And you have to win the lottery to be like it. And now I can treat my illnesses, yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Speaking of which, one of the big powerball winners is a cancer patient. So it was a one point three billion powerball jackpot and a immigrant from Laos was the big winner. Is taking the lump sum of four hundred and twenty two million after taxes, splitting it with a friend and claimed that he wants to now quote find a good doctor with the money. Despite meter reports that this is a heartwarming story. Winning the powerball jackpot should in no way be a prerequisite for accessing life saving health care. But it's like one of those things where it's like teachers are buying their own or like this this millionaire like that his kids public school didn't have books, so he bought it. Isn't that cool? Isn't that heartwarming? I guess? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Wow, such an American story.
Speaker 8: It really is, especially considering that the person emigrated from Laos, which is like the most heavily bombed country on the planet thanks to the United States. So it's like, Okay, we destroyed your country, come over here, win the lottery to get access to life saving care.
Speaker 3: It's just like this, and who knows what kind of chemicals you may have been exposed to in Laos, like if you're born there, because there's still just a fuck ton of unexploded munitions just littered everywhere because they're just like, yeah, fuck it, man, just dumping a louse, keep it moving, Yeah, and.
Speaker 7: People are still finding them to this day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: It's really it's just like here's a whore, here's a whore, here's the exactly back to back compounding horrors.
Speaker 15: Wow.
Speaker 8: I mean, but it's sad that the like feel good story thing kind of works on you, right, because I was like, oh my first instinct like, well, at least a cancer patient won the money, and you're like.
Speaker 7: God, this is so bleak.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, and it's like, you know how many other people have or cancer and are currently trying to treat it and they're probably in a similar situation.
Speaker 3: It's like that's where you're just like horrified, and I think anyone's had an intersected with cancer and their family or lives just knows how like just fucking awful like it is and how destructive it is, like at every level emotionally, physically, everything, And you're like yeah, and like just to think that the relief that this person experienced in the midst of all that is like, well, I.
Speaker 6: I won four hundred and twenty two million, so now I can have a good doctor.
Speaker 1: Like, who are you gonna buy an island?
Speaker 6: It's like I want medical care?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh wins we get in America. At least it wasn't like a hedge fund billionaire who won the jackpot. He's like, I found a system for buying up all the tickets, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like for ten for fifteen thousand dollars, you're guaranteed to net thirty at least.
Speaker 1: All right, that's gonna do it. For this week's weekly Zeitgeist, please like and review the show if you like, The show means the world to Miles. He needs your validation. Folks. I hope you're having a great weekend and I will talk to you Monday. By Bass