Speaker 1: Welcome to You're Wrong about the name of the podcast?
Speaker 2: Wow, oh my god. That was amazing.
Speaker 1: It's cool people did cool stuff. And my guest today is Sarah Marshall from the podcast You're Wrong About Hello.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy. Does this mean I'm a cool people or do I guess observe cool people?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't know whether any of us are actually cool. We're just talking about cool people.
Speaker 2: I mean, all I can say is that intro. Margaret, you are good?
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, thank you?
Speaker 2: Did you get my second? Did you get my second?
Speaker 4: Took so?
Speaker 3: I didn't get it at all. I'm not very sharp. It's August. Everyone is just barely holding it together. That was beautiful. Sophie, thank you so much. So you are good now? That okay.
Speaker 1: So Sophie is the other voice. Sophie is the producer of this show. If anyone's curious as to why I introduce Sophie every single time, it's because sometimes I've listened to another show that Sophie's on, and it took me like six months to be like, why the fuck are these men not introducing the woman on the show? And I got so annoyed that because.
Speaker 3: In the machine.
Speaker 5: My presence is known. Why do I need introducing? Because it could be anybody's first episode? You know, all so funny, Sara Marshall, what's your podcast? I have a podcast called You Wrong About, which is a title that people find it remarkably hard to remember. I've heard of people's parents calling it what is wrong with You, which is a much more aggressive title than what I was going for, But I do love it. And I have a podcast called You Are Good and You're wrong About?
Speaker 3: Is about what You're good? That's why I made the joke. But you know that I am good and I know that you are good. Yeah, you are good? Is quote a feelings podcast about movies. I host it with Alex Deed and you should come on it, and we every episode have a guest on and are like because you know, there's like twenty billion podcasts and half of them are about movies. But we try to distinguish ourselves by talking about how does the wedding singer make us feel? We haven't done the wedding singer yet, and like, how does help us learn about codependency? Which I'm honestly sure it could and that kind of thing, And you're wrong about is about history and really about the human tendency to love moral panics and how we can't remember anything. We remember nothing that I feel like this show is about that too.
Speaker 1: Well, then you're the perfect guest for this episode, because well actually were, because I mean I picked you specifically for this episode because I actually you covered something very similar to what we're going to be talking about, and I'm really excited your take on this today. Oh, I forgot to do the rest of the introductions. We all have to say hi to Ian.
Speaker 3: Who's Hi?
Speaker 4: Ian? Hi?
Speaker 1: Am Oh, Sarah, you would love Ian.
Speaker 2: You guys would get along so well.
Speaker 4: I Ian Ian's and Ian's in the state of California, m h.
Speaker 1: And audience can create a parasocial relationship with Ian based solely on his name, if you would like, because you don't have other information about him. And our theme music was written for us by unwoman. And today we're going to talk about this one's going to be kind of funny because it's gonna it's not a reverse cool people. We are going to talk about some cool people, but we're going to talk about a lot of bad ship today. And I'm very sorry because you're talking about the theocracy that took over Ireland after their sort of independence in nineteen twenty two, and we're going to talk about some of the people who fought against that theocracy. Because I was thinking to myself, how do I talk about Shannado O'Connor without just like doing an episode solely on Shnado O'Connor. Since for that, I would recommend people check out this great pop podcast called You're Wrong About It's pretty good. Yeah, this is not an episode about Shnado O'Connor.
Speaker 3: She'll show up.
Speaker 1: It's a story about all the people who survived and fought against and escaped the Magdalen Laundries. What do you know about the Magdalen Laundries?
Speaker 3: I feel like I, like a lot of people mainly know what I saw in I think the movie was called The Magdalen Sisters came out like fifteen twenty years ago, yeah, which is about girls being sent to basically be detained by nuns because they looked at a boy or a boy looked at them, or they were sexually assaulted, or they had a baby, and then basically toil under abuse of nuns in a prison like setting until they escape or their family takes them out or they simply don't make it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good short version of what we're going to be talking about today.
Speaker 3: Hooray.
Speaker 1: They you know, these girls end up spending their entire sometimes not always, but sometimes they end up spending their entire life doing unpaid labor. Usually, as the name implies, they are doing laundry. And these laundries ran for hundreds of years. The last one closed its doors in fucking nineteen ninety six. So the cool people we're talking about today, a lot of them are just the survivors, because the cool thing that people do sometimes is survive.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: These laundries are often considered the darkest, one of the darkest parts of Iish history, and they deserve that reputation. They're also talked about as one of the worst examples of what the Catholic Church has done to the world, and the Catholic Church deserves that reputation too. But the Magdalene laundries they they start in England, they were started by Protestants, and the relationship to religion and colonization is more complicated than anyone talks about.
Speaker 3: Hmm, this is going to be very interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope so I fell down a lot of rabbit I guess every week. I'm like, I fell down a lot of rabbit holes. But my job is to be obsessed with something for approximately four or five days and then when people messaged me about the details three weeks from now, I have no idea what they're talking about. Just absolutely no.
Speaker 2: It's called podcast.
Speaker 3: Space for a new one. Huh.
Speaker 4: It's called podcast brain. And once you say it, you no longer remember it.
Speaker 3: It's okay. I had not That happens to me all the time, and I didn't know there was a term for it, but of course there is.
Speaker 2: It's so great podcast brain.
Speaker 1: I have heard Sarah Marshall talking about Shannad O'Connor more recently than Sarah Marshall has heard Sarah Marshall talking about Shnad O'Connor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think there's a thing too. I don't know if you guys agree with this, but like, because there was I saw that there's this phenomenon where people are going to the Aras tour and then can't remember the concert because they're in such a heightened state of emotion that it's like harder for them to form memories. Yeah, So Taylor Swift is like breaking their brains and that I feel like when you're concentrating, there's also something like that where if you're kind of if I'm concentrating on what to say next, then like like right now, or like when I'm getting really you know, forty percent more like zeroed in on something, then like I'm focusing so hard on how to communicate what I'm thinking that like, once I'm done, I'm just gonna like I'll have let go of it completely. Does that resonate?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the night after I finished recording these, I'm on the East Coast, so I'm like I record later than most of my guests.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why do we always have dress coasters?
Speaker 3: I don't know podcasts coast East Coasters.
Speaker 2: Why don't you want to come on our show?
Speaker 1: Because people who get paid to do podcasts live on the West Coast, which is foolish because it's so easy to live off of this small amount of money that is available to podcasters when you live.
Speaker 3: Places that are cheap, like yeah, the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 1: So the Magdalen Laundries, which are named after Mary Magdalene, the sex worker that Jesus hangs out with like a lot of the oppression of women. These started with the oppression of sex workers. Also, like a lot of oppression started in England. And like a lot of oppression, at least some of the people who got involved in the early days got involved with the best of intentions. Eighteenth century Whitechapel, England. I always have to look up these places. White Chapel is not its own city. It's part of London, but they treat it like it's its own city. It's in the East End. There's a bunch of richest fuck dudes who wear powdered wigs and all the portraits of themselves and they're all remembered as philanthropists. And they got themselves together and I'm not even bother with their names.
Speaker 3: Fuck them.
Speaker 1: They got themselves together in seventeen fifty eight and they opened the Magdalen Hospital for the reception of penitent prostitutes. Oh my god, but you gotta be penitent.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. If you sprain an ankle and you're like, I like sucking that dick, then they won't give you medicine. Nobish people talk, Yes, it was perfect.
Speaker 2: I no not ites.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They probably have a different word for every verb and noun. In that sentence. But yeah, spot you, dick, mister. I gotta make light of things while I can, because I sensed that.
Speaker 3: That moment where the canoe the dark shadow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And this was opened with the support from the queen who was not the queen, Regent Reagan whatever wasn't ruling m And this was a workhouse. It was a for profit institution where quote unquote fallen women worked at various jobs and were given a tiny portion of the money they brought in, which actually makes it way better than what we'll talk about later. It was also a tourist attraction, come see the wild horrors in captivity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course we cannot romanticize the past, because, oh my god, in heaven they.
Speaker 1: Speaking of you could buy a ticket to go to mass led by not led by, but singing for you in the choir are these fallen women. And they had to sell tickets because there were so many people who wanted to come pay that they were like, we have to sell tickets ahead of time.
Speaker 3: Was this like, what was this market? It is like a family attraction. Were you supposed to like take your kids to see the fallen women to like scare them or anything? Was it because for.
Speaker 1: Finally, I'm not sure it ties into this larger thing where a bunch of the other institutions at the time, including the Bethlam Royal Hospital aka the asylum so bad that patient it's patient, It was so bad to its patients that we have the word Bedlam as a result of the Bethelm Royal Hospital. You could also go be a tourist there if you wanted at this time.
Speaker 3: That kind of makes more sense to me in a weird way, because you know, scared straight or whatever. Yeah, because like anything can happen in Bedlam famously, whereas just like going to church led by captive sex workers, like they probably just sing hymns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much, and uh as as is the case going to be the case throughout all of the hundreds of years of this. Even though these are like laws and stuff that are specifically around sex work, most of the women in the Penitent Prostitute Asylum are not sex workers.
Speaker 3: Even at the beginning.
Speaker 1: I would argue that the same as like sis, women are caught up in the trans panic for like looking too masculine or whatever. Patriarchy oppresses with a very broad brush, right right, And so the answer isn't to be like, I'm not a sex worker, fuck you. The answer is to be like, no one should be treated this way, you know. So started off voluntary women applied for asylum. Usually they weren't actually sex workers. They were maybe people who are trying to avoid falling into survival sex work because they'd been kicked out of their house for like surviving sexual assault from within the home or having had premarital sex. You know. And but even this version, the voluntary version, it was profitable to the quote unquote charity and on the wall all over the place, in every word or whatever was written, tell your story to no one, because women weren't supposed to talk to each other about their experiences. Later this is going to turn into you just literally can't talk to each other. You got to spend your entire fucking day, slash life in silence. Most women stayed for a couple of years and then were discharged once their family was like, oh okay, I forgive you for your heinous and of having been sexualized by someone and took them back. This idea was very popular. This spread all over the UK. By the late eighteen hundreds, there's more than three hundred of these in the UK, which in this case includes England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. They're really bad. They're for profit prisons. Most of them are laundries, and there's like no due process. A lot of women who get sent there because become less voluntary very shortly. There's a lot of like blurriness. Each one of these institutions actually did have a pretty different vibe, so it's a little bit hard to paint with a broadbrush, but that's what I'm going to do anyway. And girls and women who were sent there, the average age of these first ones was like mid twenties, late twenties, so I think also it was a lot of like how dare you not get married yet?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: You haven't like left the home. We're gonna get fucking rid of you, you know.
Speaker 3: And so even spinster Dum is like sexually dangerous and an interesting way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. The history of spinster Dum is something I want to do so much work on because it's like some of that's about lesbianism and some of it's not. Some of it's about asexuality and some of it's not, you know.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I was talking to a friend earlier and described myself as a spinster, and she was like, well, that's I wouldn't call you a spinster at this age. And I was like, it's a vibe, it's a lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Oh at this point if you're like twenty five and you're not. Actually, yes, medieval people got married way later than modern people.
Speaker 2: So I accept your label as a spinster.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you you. Yeah, you know it, since I have all the accessory you do. Pretend to be a cat, right, it's all about bun placement. But wait, but do medieval people get married later than people do today?
Speaker 1: Maybe not like today today, but like twenty years ago when everyone get married young and gat. There's this whole weird thing where like the medieval world isn't what we think it is. The nobles and shit got married late young. Sorry nobles and shit got married young because it's all political or whatever, but like, actually peasants and stuff got married.
Speaker 3: This is not part of the topic at all. Oh you know, but I do. I do love that fact though, And it's as I think is depicted in Blackadder, where like, yeah, of course you're going to marry people before they reach sexual maturity. If you're just consolidating, you know, principal. But yeah, if you have nothing to offer except some fabric, then you're you know, going to wait until you're ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So in these laundries, a lot of women aren't told how long they're going to be there. So it's actually like in some ways some ways, you're like better off in a prison, right because in a prison they're like this is your sentence. Here you're just like, oh, you're just here, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the one flow over the cuckoo's nest style totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's I mean, they were called asylums for and that was usually in their official name. They're remembered as the Magdalen laundries, but some actually focused on rehabilitation and didn't hold women too long. And some were run by nuns. Okay now when I'm doing the conflation, actually most of them weren't run by the Catholic Church at all. But like nuns are like the famous image of it, right, so some of the pep scarier than a nun, I know, which is funny because the nun in my family was like one of the most wonderful people in one of the role models that I like carry to this day about how you can be Catholic and not be a terrible person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And every nune I've met has been pretty action amazing humanitarian. But in fiction, no, yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, it was like, my dad didn't send me to Catholic school because he got sent to Catholic school and he didn't want that for any of his kids, you know. So some of these nuns actually or people looking after they actually looked after the well being of their charges. This was the minority of cases, as far as I can tell, and most of these places were cruel, nightmare places where nuns or other caretakers hit people with wind rosaries, kept them locked in their cells at night. Changed their names against their will was a big part of it. Sometimes they would change their name to the name of the nun who imprisoned them. I don't know if that was like a thing or a coincidence that I read about. Sometimes they changed their names to male names, and I think this was like not a cool, fun like gender thing, but like well, like I don't know, whatever, weird fucking thing. Sometimes they would just be named with numbers like Penn four or whatever. For penitence Good is obviously the origin of that famed secret society in middle schools everywhere, the pen fifteen Club fifteen, it's so historical, started by the fifteenth penitent one of these laundries, and take the Freemasons, yeah, exactly. Many of the penitents were sexually abused or kept like by the institutions or kept enslaved for their entire lives and buried nameless in unmarked graves. Many of the letters to their families were never sent, which is awful and part because like forgiveness from the families one of the main ways you get out right. They were regularly denied visits. Religious institutions were exempted from the UK's nineteen oh one Factory Act that limited working hours for teenage girls to only twelve hours a day, which is just ridiculous that that was progress at that point. Magdalen's regularly worked fifteen hours, six to seven days a week. These places are bad enough that at one point Charles Dickens, who haven't done enough research about to decide whether he's cool people or not cool people. I don't fucking know. Someone's gonna whatever. Charles Dickens got together with the richest woman in England besides Queen Victoria, whose name was Angela Burdeck Coats. And they were like, let's do what this is supposed to do, but not evil. So they opened a non prison asylum for survival sex workers where they could have a place to stay and actually learn. And it was called Urania Cottage and it was completely voluntary. You could leave at any point you want. This model did not take off because it wasn't profitable and it wasn't a weird tourist attraction. So wow, once the original founders retired, this Urania Cottage fell apart.
Speaker 3: Basically, Wow. Good for Charles Dickens though, and it really goes to show that human rights are not profitable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if they suddenly are somehow profitable, you're probably actually running a weird laundry enslavement.
Speaker 3: Thing where you know you're gonna get coney. I don't know what that means. Oh the what was it?
Speaker 6: I understood it? So, yeah, what I saw, I assume it was a thing that was free coney. But that's not it. They wanted the opposite of that. Yeah, is this about the gorilla that died?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, this was about this like extremely viral YouTube video like ten years ago or something that was like long ago. Yeah, so one hundred years ago. It was like, we have to take down this African warlord and kind of in a way that shocked the guy. I feel really guilty about that. There's something else was.
Speaker 2: It was in twenty twelve. It was so long ago.
Speaker 4: There was like a documentary film thing it was.
Speaker 2: It was Cony twenty twelve.
Speaker 3: Coney twenty twelve, and it went like unbelievably viral. It was like, yes, we can all band together and take down this one terrible guy. But then the guy who launched the campaign like the attention it was all too much, and he ended up jerking off in the street. It's a real it's a real media story for our time. You're welcome. I don't know if we ever got some how completely missed this. When it happened, it was all I thought about that year. I think I was living in a minivan. There's a limit to how many warlords you can try to take down from a minivan, although you can just run him over. I guess you were in the best shape to do it.
Speaker 1: That's true. I like to think that I would have been equipped to do such a thing and if you want to become equipped to take down warlords. That is why we are sponsored by medieval weaponry.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: We are sponsored by maces. We are sponsored by swords, but like I mean, every whe sponsored by swords these days. True, we're sponsored by flails, which may or may not have been actually historically accurate weapons. You know, they like spiky ball on a stick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I never knew that was what they were called. I always thought they were called spikey ball on a stick. Yeah, they're called flavulus. And we are sponsored by what other medieval weapons response, So I.
Speaker 2: Just want to point out all union made.
Speaker 1: That's true because anytime that scabs try and come in, there's a peasant uprising and it murders all of them because the peasants are very well armed when they work in medieval weapon factories, which is weird because they they're called medieval weapon factories even though they're made by medieval.
Speaker 3: Well they're from the medieval region of France, you know. Otherwise they're guess carbonated weapons.
Speaker 1: And that's the only sponsors. If you hear any other sponsors, then there's a mistake. And I need you to write immediately to the director of iHeartRadio, who is on Twitter at I write, okay, and.
Speaker 4: I feel like you're just accused my business partner of crimes not legally actionably.
Speaker 2: Fair enough maybe.
Speaker 3: And we're back so let's see.
Speaker 1: Okay, these laundries they're in the US too, and people are always like, oh, yeah, that backwards country Ireland, like most of these weren't in Ireland. They were not in Ireland.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The first Magdalene asylum, you know, that's their official name or whatever, It was the Magdalen Society of Philadelphia, and it was founded in eighteen hundred by a collection of Protestant denominations, including the sometimes but not this time based Quakers, who, by the way, invented the modern concept of prison. But we'll talk about that some other time. The Philly Magdalene School had as its vice presidents vice president the fucking.
Speaker 3: Mayor of Philly. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Because they've always been a collusion of church and state. Now Ireland pulled it off even better because they had that deocracy thing.
Speaker 3: We'll get to that.
Speaker 1: Like most of the rest of these, it started off voluntary survival. Sex workers could come and stay for a couple of days, or weeks to get back on their feet right soon it was a prison. A thirteen foot wall was built around it to keep the inmates from seeing anyone in the city. They weren't like, oh no, this isn't We're not building a wall to imprison you. It's so that you don't have like lustful thoughts looking at those handsome men walking down the street.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating how much of history is about like the fear of women's sexuality and like what will happen if we have life ful thoughts. It's like I got and it's so funny, especially because like the men making these laws, no's know that, like they can get turned on by gourds, you know, So why do they think anyone else is so different?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, totally. I mean because of the female sexuality is a complete mystery to men.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, because the uterus wanders and that creates all kinds of repercussions. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so they built a thirteen foot wall around this one in Philly. I don't know about this particular one, but at least the Baltimore one and probably a bunch of the other ones had broken glass mortared into the top of the stone. Walls as an old timey barbed wire to keep people from having lustful thoughts of course about the people on the other side.
Speaker 3: History is just saw that's the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 1: The more I read history, the more I'm like, they never tortured someone the same way twice. They every culture. I mean, like drawn and quartered is like one of the most fucked up things you could possibly imagine happening, and was like kind of normal.
Speaker 3: Right, Like that's kind of on the okay end of what could happen to you if you compare it to like I don't know and so and then you know, there are accounts of torture that you're like, did this happen or did your cousin's boyfriend's little sister tell you it? But like, but I don't know something about I mean you talking about the penitent penitent prison as a as a tourist attraction. Like I always think about this with stuff like public executions, where like we kind of lament what people watch on TV today, but the fact is that before we could watch it on TV, we would just go out in the world and find it somewhere. Totally.
Speaker 1: That is a really good point, thank you and what we watch on TV is like or what we going and watching people get beheaded and cheering is like darker than watching Saw, you know, because it's.
Speaker 3: Actually had a good time making Saw. Yeah, it's maybe on a level with like some of the TLC reality shows, but that's a whole other conversation. I don't mind.
Speaker 1: Okay, So since women weren't like choosing to get better, they would be kept away from society to keep them from doing evil and quickly. It's not just for people doing sex work or accused of doing sex work, for for any girl might be tempted or whatever. This particular laundry, the Philly Laundry, lasted until nineteen eighteen. There were at least thirty nine of these places in the US, that's like the bare minimum number. Most of them ran until the night. Many ran until the nineteen sixties. And we'll talk about why they ended it. It's not humanitarian reasons. We'll talk about that later. That's gonna be a little thing dangle in front of people. Many worked with the state to basically become the first all women US prisons. There's this place in the Midwest that's like I think Indianapolis, but they're like, we had the first all women's prison, as if they should be proud, and like a bunch of people did research and were like, actually, Indianapolis or whatever the city had had exactly all women's prison that meets all of the criteria of prison except to process of law. But women convicted of moral crimes were sent to these laundries, including by the state. Right, it wasn't just people getting dropped off by their families or whatever, and these moral crimes that would get you sent to these no due process of law. Prisons was drunkenness, vagrancy, and sex work. Girls as young as fourteen were regularly convicted by US courts and sent to hellholes. Girls as much younger than that were sent by their families. Well, but this is a story about the Magdalen Laundries in Ireland. They were at their worst in Ireland, not because the Irish are like backwards or something, but because nearly a millennia of colonization left the island particularly vulnerable to exploitation by the Catholic Church and by English institutions like the Magdalen Laundries. The first one was set up in Ireland by the Church of Ireland so even in Ireland, those first ones were not Catholic, not trying to get the Catholics off the hook here, just spreading the blame and laying it on as thickly as necessary. The first one was set up by the Church of Ireland in seventeen sixty seven. Church of Ireland is the Irish branch of the Anglican Church. Once again, it was funded by a quote unquote philanthropist, and it was originally this first one was only open to Protestant girls. But then the Roman Catholics and the Presbyterians soon got in on the act, and the Catholic Church are going to take the gold here. They are in the competition to see who can be the most evil using the Magdalen laundry model. Why they're taking home the gold in a pretty literal sense, because it was all profit driven. The reason that the laundries were particularly bad in Ireland is because after the independence from Ireland, Ireland became a defect to theocracy. As often as not, revolution provides a power vacuum that some other evil institution steps into and out with England sort of. You know, Irish independence is like not complete, but whatever out with England in with the Catholic Church. Even before that, seventy years or so before that, the Irish Famine aka the England starved Ireland, committing a second genocide against the Irish people. It destroyed much of the traditional infrastructure of Ireland, and this allowed the Catholic Church to come in and start like quote unquote modernizing and specifically romananizing, like making Irish Catholics into Roman Catholics. Okay, a lot of places you'd have these nominal Catholics who've been Catholic for like a thousand years, right, but they didn't go to church. They allowed divorce by women, They practiced all kinds of terrible pagan things like believing in holy wells instead of blood drinking.
Speaker 3: And having a big wicker man every so often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to put cops into, but not too many. And so the Catholic Church swept in in the eighteen fifties, eighteen sixties, the second half of the nineteenth century, and they increased church attendance and dependence upon the church hierarchy, all while getting rid of the wily pagan ways of the Irish Catholics. And they set themselves up as the true opposition to England seventy years or so before. We've talked about this in a couple other episodes. Protestants and Catholics worked together until the Uprising of seventeen ninety eight to try and oust England. Right, it wasn't like perfect happy fun times.
Speaker 3: But whatever. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, and so now they set themselves up as the true opposition to England. They managed to infuse Irish anti colonial sentiment with a religious nationalism that paved the way for their takeover in nineteen twenty two when Ireland sort of gained its dependants. So this is the worst place for the laundries because there's so much church and state collusion. Judges sent girls to the church instead of to prison. Survivors and their families and stuff. Say again and again that no one outside knew how bad the laundries were because the church was who had educated every single person in Ireland, and so it wasn't really possible to question it. All kinds of shit could get you sent to the laundries. The big one wasn't sex work. The big one was pre marital sex. If you're pregnant and unmarried, off to the laundry.
Speaker 3: With you.
Speaker 1: You're sent by social workers or your family or the police, whatever. But here's where it gets worse. Don't worry. If you're pregnant and unmarried, the Catholic Church will steal your baby and ship it off for adoption, selling it and not giving you any of the money.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess they need all the babies they can get. Yes, there may may be selfish of me to want to keep my baby exactly when that baby's street value is declining by the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad you understand. Yeah, I mean it is. I don't you know.
Speaker 3: I think everybody listening to this knows this already, but I don't know. To me, it's worth emphasizing that, like, stealing someone's child is, like, truly, I think, one of the most overtly dehumanizing things you can do to someone, both in terms of its actual effect on them and what it communicates about what you think of them.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and so one of the many great crimes that the Catholic Church is perpetrated on a massive scale involves the Catholic adoption practices. So that's where we're gonna talk about for a minute. The Catholic Church is probably the single largest human trafficking organization in history. They're so good at doing everything evil. They have the residential schools in Canada, they have the laundries in Ireland, they have the child abuse literally everywhere. And I didn't hear about the adoption stuff until a friend of mine who's like more or less a victim of this, started talking to me about it. The theft and sale of babies. Not every instance of Catholic adoption practices has been course of an evil, and we're actually going to talk about a counter example in a moment. But the short of it is that the Catholic Church pressured on web mothers into giving up their babies for adoption or often outrights, stole them, often by like putting the mother under anesthesia during birth and then being like your baby died in childbirth, oh God, and then sold them off different prices different times. The only price I've specifically seen was three thousand US dollars in like nineteen fifties market value.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All the while, of course, the Catholic Church is massively campaigning against birth control and abortion, oh God, which helps their bottom line and creates a steady stream of babies. They've done this all across the world, and the abuses of the system are well documented. Since I can tie everything to the Spanish Civil War, anyone who's listening and being like as NOI as bitch is going to tie as the Spanish Civil War. But what you, thank you, thank you, tuberculous is coming. Don't worry. The other thing that ties together all history. One of the most prominent places or that we have a lot of documentation about this happening was in Spain after Franco took power, because he was really fucking upfront about it, right, Franco took over and Institute of National Catholicism, which was a fascist regime that actually, in some ways, as we've talked about, actually broke from some of the church hierarchy, from the pope. But whatever, Republicans, Marxist anarchists, they all had their children stolen since they were not morally competent to raise their kids. Three hundred thousand babies in Spain alone between nineteen thirty nine and the nineteen nineties were stolen, and this went on after Franco died. Babies are stolen around the globe.
Speaker 3: This is the darkest fucking part of this.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm doing it anyway anywhere the Catholic Church was strong enough. I feel, okay, why I'm doing all of this. I try not to like focus on really bad shit, but I think it's necessary to draw a certain attention of things. I think that, like, really we need to understand why Sinad O'Connor in nineteen ninety two ripped up a picture of the pope because it was completely misunderstood at the time. And I think that even before I started doing the research, I was like, well, there's a lot, but it's like a lot, a lot, a lot, you.
Speaker 3: Know, right, It's more than you can even begin to grasp unless you like lower yourself into the well. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: Not all babies that were sold in this way were stolen. Many of them were just the mothers are pressured. They are pressured and pressured and pressured. They are pressured by society around them, they are pressured by the Church, they are pressured by their religion right that it is not okay to be an unwed mother in the UK during also just now we're going to get to the Protestants doing it too. In the UK during the fifty sixties and seventies, half a million Christian children were given up for adoption. The Salvation Army and the Anglican Church were in on it too, not just the Catholics, through a combination of pressure and outright theft. I cannot say that all of those are like bad adoption, right, but is absolutely creating this institution that is doing all of these absolutely evil things in Australia. On twenty eleven, the Catholic Church apologized for the force adoption of fifteen hundred sorry, one five zero, why do I know worse?
Speaker 3: Thank you? One hundred and fifty thousand.
Speaker 4: In twenty eleven, the Catholic Church apologized for the force adoption of one hundred and fifty thousand babies.
Speaker 3: And that's how many they admitted to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, I was just going to start reading the script.
Speaker 1: No great, no, yeah, Sophie, Yeah, go ahead, go ahead. And that is so many fucking people. And that's just Australia, right, And that is what the church it admits to, and all this happens.
Speaker 3: It sounds like most of the people in Australia.
Speaker 4: I know. Yeah, I was gonna say, that's like Australia.
Speaker 1: I know, these are not big countries, right, Like it's like funny because I'm reading all these numbers in a country of like, what are we at like three hundred and thirty million people or something in the US right now?
Speaker 3: Maybe it's more than that. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I believe the correct term is fuck ton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a fuck ton of people in the US. There's not a fuck ton of people in Ireland. Ireland is still not back at the numbers that they had before the famine. There's like as many people in Ireland as like half of New York City or something like that.
Speaker 3: And that really puts things into perspective. That's absolutely horrifying. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you're like half of a New York City is what's suffering this?
Speaker 3: And when like you've lost so much population that like you never come back from what the eighteen fifties?
Speaker 1: Yeah right, right, Yeah, So all this happened in Ireland too. Unmarried, pregnant women were shipped off to the laundry to begin their new life as often a slave. Maybe not for the rest of their lives, maybe for the rest of their lives their baby is stolen and sold, often to the US or that you were like, man, this can't get darker.
Speaker 3: Again. I believe in you. Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: This is like one of the only times I'm going to make a content warning. I'm going to talk about some babies that die for the next little bit, and I'm sorry, and I will try not to be I try not to focus on details about that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: It's funny because I'm on the horrible things happening to babies beat via the Satanic panic. But these are all imaginary babies, you know, So it's a very different world out there.
Speaker 1: It's like the Satanists of her accuse of killing like five babies in the Catholic church is like what we do that shit every day.
Speaker 3: Right, They're just like, look, you get a system, you do it kind of you got the government in on it, like beat a screep, yeah, God's sake.
Speaker 1: So the town of Twam in County Galway, Ireland, we are going to get in this story. There's a cool person of the week. There's the woman who uncovered what happened there.
Speaker 3: And we're going to talk about her. Thank Heavens.
Speaker 1: Saint Mary's Mother and Baby Home of Twam. It's not quite one of the laundries. It's one of this larger network of like place to show up if you're an onwed mother, and it's a place for ONWB mothers to give birth. And if you're a repeat customer, they'll send you the laundries because you're not to be trusted. The building first opened in eighteen forty six as a workhouse, and then it became a place for the starving to die during the famine. This place is just fucking cursed. After the War of Independence ended in a treaty, it became a barracks for the pro treaty side of the Irish Civil War. So one morning six Republicans were shot to death for dreaming of an actually free Ireland here on the grounds, betrayed by their previous comrades. Then in the theocratic model of Ireland, it was a state funded but Catholic run place for disgraced women. If you got knocked up you could try and get to England. Otherwise you might wand up in twemb where if you misbehaved there was one major threat you'd be sent to the laundries. Behave well and once your kid is old enough to steal from you and sell, they'll let you go. Your baby goes off to England or more likely.
Speaker 3: To the US.
Speaker 1: Some mothers spent their entire lives tracking down their children, or trying to. Sometimes they would find their children and be unable to reclaim them. Some children who stayed unadopted spent their lives trying to find their parents. The home wasn't closed until nineteen sixty one. It was one of thirteen such places in Ireland, the last one closed, and I believe nineteen ninety eight one in seven kids who was born in that in these places died there. This is twice the mortality rate of Ireland at that time, and the bodies in Twam weren't discovered until the early twenty tens. Babies were sold to the US for three thousand dollars apiece. The children were called home children and they were like picked on by the community. The woman who actually did all the investigation in it like has an anecdote about how she like picked on a home child as a kid and feels guilty about it ever since. She gave one of the home children a like piece of candy, like but it was just an empty wrapper, and they like laughed when they could open. The fucking children are awful and even if you're a shitty kid, You can grow up to be amazing like this woman, is what I'm trying to say. Yeah, these kids, the home children. They were used as test subjects for at least thirteen different medical experiments, mostly vaccines, but also formula milk from nineteen thirty to nineteen seventy five. They were medically neglected, died at astonishing rates, and when they died, their bodies were thrown into unused septic systems or a specific one. This was not a septic tank, a sort of an unused sewer. Some of them were sold to medical schools. That is okay, that is the worst thing that I'm going to talk about all week and hopefully for the next fucking several months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's good to know. It's all smooth sailing.
Speaker 1: Yeah and okay, So the horrors were revealed by an Irish historian named Catherine Corlis who grew up in twem and once gave a kid an empty piece of candy. And she's fucking cool. She's about seventy now. She's vegetarian and sober and wears all black. So what I'm saying is that vegan, straight edge goths have been doing cool shit since forever.
Speaker 3: It's so true.
Speaker 1: I love running across like all of the Like before there was like a culture around like veganism and straightedge and all that shit. I'm not straightedge, but I am vegan. I do are all black. I love that I keep running across in history like all of these people who do amazing shit, who are like, no, it's just like the lady who wears all black and doesn't even meet, does drink, you know.
Speaker 3: You know, just feel good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't have a word for it, but I guess like it. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: So the way she found these the dead children, a few bones had been found by kids. There's a story about kids in the nineteen seventies like running around with a skull on a stick that they found in a field, and then their parents had to be like, that's not a Halloween direct decoration. That's not plastic, you know.
Speaker 3: And then there's probably a dad who was like, bet that'll save us a bit of money this Halloween. Let's end it up in the yard exactly, And everyone would say, oh, those are bodies of the famine victims, right, But it didn't add up to Catherine. So she managed to track down seven hundred and ninety six death certificates without burial records, and since everyone in Ireland at the time is like the same fucking name, They're all like John and James and Margaret and shit, it's like hard to correlate all this stuff. So she does an incredible amount of work on this. So she sets to work finding the bodies. She finds a modern map of Twam and an eighteen ninety map, and she like traces over between the two. She finds where the kids had found some bones. It was on top of it an old Victorian era septic system that had been discontinued in the nineteen thirties. So she dug it up and there were the remains. She self financed the whole thing, while everyone in town was like, don't do this.
Speaker 1: You have to stop. Do not go digging up old issues. We just want to like, let the past be the past.
Speaker 3: He's like that lady who found Richard the third under a car park.
Speaker 1: Oh, Mike, I knew that. I knew that someone found him, but I don't know anything about the story around it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it was just similarly I don't know the story that well, but it was I remember from following it at the time that it was I think an independent historian who just like had done some research and was like, I really think Richard the Third is under this car park and we were like, all right, whatever, and by god, she was right that rules.
Speaker 1: So yeah, she self financed the whole thing. It was something of an open secret possibly that everyone was like, don't go digging it into this, you know. She started releasing articles about it in twenty twelve to like no fanfare, but eventually in twenty fourteen it caught national attention and she became like, this was like the biggest fucking deal, right, and the rules that became a big deal. It's a shame that it had to write for her work. She was invited to a reception with Pope Francis when he visited Ireland, like she was invited to the papal mass. She turned it down and instead went to a vigil outside for the dead children. She's received all kinds of awards for her work, which she deserves, and the last articles I could find on the matter because things like drop out of the news cycle. Right. She was fighting for the kids to be exhumed and properly buried, and the Archbishop of the region did support that wasn't like, no, you have to leave them there or whatever, you know. And she's spent her time since helping survivors of the home babies, like the home babies who survived, track their origins. She helps them find their parents, and she also helps parents find their children and shit. Most of the mothers went to England to be away from shame and condemnation, and the former Tasia, the Prime Minister of Ireland, Enda Kenny, had an almost good speech about it during the official acknowledgment by the Irish government, and I want to read a chunk of it because actually I think it's really interesting. No nuns broke into our homes to kidnap our children. We gave them up to what we convinced ourselves was the nuns care. We gave them up, maybe to spare them the savagery of gossip, the wink in the elbow, language of delight, in which the holier than thos were particularly fluent. We gave them up because of our perverse, in fact morbid relationship with what is called respectability. Indeed, for a while it seems as if in Ireland our women had the amazing capacity to self impregnate for their trouble, we took their babies and gifted them, sold them, trafficked them, starved them, neglected them, or denied them to the point of their dis appearance from our hearts, our site, our country, and, in the case of TWAM and possibly other places, from life itself. Yeah, it's kind of funny because I cried when I read that, and then I immediately read all the critiques from feminists about the reason I say it was an almost good speech is that it covers one important part of it, the cultural part. Right, this like respectability politics, but it doesn't talk about the fact that women were often physically forced to enter these places, and that the government itself has a lot of blame for this. And I know you were thinking, you're thinking, surely all of this story about adoption it doesn't tie into US racism. But let me tell you no, never, nothing ever does it does. But first, the other thing about the US culture is that we're advertising supported. We haven't done a second advert. I'm doing this correctly. Well, here's your second ad break, brought to you by a pike, not the fish, but the really really long spear.
Speaker 3: And we're back.
Speaker 1: There's another side of the Catholic adoption program. In some places and times, the priests and nuns were trying their hardest to provide for abandoned children and save them literally from capitalist exploitation, because there's always wherever there's people doing things, there's people doing it really good and really bad, you know. And they ran up against us racism in the process, because by the Catholic teaching, when people are doing it right, racism is nonsensical. All Catholics are Catholic, and beyond that, all humans are created by the Creator and are worthy of salvation or whatever. Right. There was this thing going on in New York City at the turn of the century, well for about seventy years before the turn. It went on for a really fucking long time. Again, lots of people are doing evil shit. Private for profit Protestant charities were literally snatching Irish kids off the street, using truancy laws and ethnic anti Irish hatred to get away from it, and then shipping them out west to be adopted by people who wanted them for child labor.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just about, what are you supposed to do? Pay for someone to work on the farm? Yeah?
Speaker 4: What? What?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: A horrible thing you just read.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where Dorothy came from. By one estimate, one hundred and ten thousand Irish kids were stolen from the streets of New York by these programs over the course of about seventy years.
Speaker 3: Seventy years. Yeah, it's a very long standing program, I know.
Speaker 1: And it's it's kind of mushy because it's not like one like what it was the Catholic Church can be. Like Catholic Church had this thing, they called it this, they did this, right, they would come and go. But stealing kids is forever. H God, it's so funny too, right because like in the modern coext like people use fear of kidnapping to push all kinds of horrible agendas. But this does this fucking happened, and this was seen by the Catholics as an attempt at cultural genocide. You're stealing all of our children and sending them away to be raised by people outside of our religion. Now it seem to have that effect. Of course, the Catholic Church is also doing the exact same thing in like the Canadian schools, where they're raising people to be Catholic and stealing them away from indigenous practices and stuff, but it's still really fucking not good. So the Catholic Church had its own system going, and in this instance, at least according to the articles I read, they tried to do it just and well. They would set up these charities where if you have an unwanted child, and of course they've created the preconditions by which children could be unwanted just for being bastards or whatever. Right, but if you have an unwanted child, you can drop them off at this charity and the charity will care for them for three years, so they have a chance to come back and get them if you want them, if you change your mind, at which point after three years they are shipped off for adoption. Wow, I do not believe that the children at this particular one were sold because the I'll get to it, and specifically they tried to send them out to be adopted before they were old enough to work, even by the standards of the time. Right, so it's like mostly like three year olds and shit, who it's just hard to make them do work. I'm not even going to make a child labor joke. And so a bunch of Irish priests and nuns traveled out west to specifically vet families and towns where they could take these children, and they traveled with the children to drop them off. It wasn't just like see a later kid, and they almost got killed for it because of racism. And this wasn't anti Irish bigotry, right, it was anti Mexican bigotry because most of the Catholics out west where Mexican or Mexican American. The Church didn't care what color someone, right, these are Catholic families. That is the continuation that they're attempting to do, is that Catholic children are raised by Catholic families. The point is the immortal soul of the kids, not the color of their parents. So nineteen hundred they showed up to a small mining town with a bunch of children who needed families, and vetted each family and gave them to the families. The reason I think that they weren't selling these kids is because these families are poor. Shit and actually, like this comes up in court against the Catholics for having dared give kids to poor families. These kids and the reason this is so interesting, this is a kind of a This is a rabbit hole I fell down during this episode. But I think it's really interesting this story because these kids weren't quite white in New York City. They were absolutely a step above black and brown, but they were Irish until they got on the train. As soon as they're taken out of that context. To the wasps, skin color is all that mattered. Happy white kids being raised by Mexican families was too much for them. So with a monsoon raging, an armed mob of Protestants went door to door and stole the children. Oh my god, the Irish priest was run out of town by a lynch mob of four hundred people, which is more than half the white population of the town. The nuns stayed behind, successfully guessing that their gender would save them from the mob, which is brave as shit, because that could have gone not at all the way that it did, right, and they managed to rescue some but not all, of the kids. And it was this really fucking dark thing where basically the rich fox like the mine over owner or whatever, would get their pick of the kids in exchange for letting the rest go. I cannot imagine having to make this call. Nineteen of the kids stayed with kidnappers, twenty one were saved by the nuns God. This was the biggest news story in the region. All of the papers were against the Catholics. They ran anti Catholic and anti Mexican slurs constantly. No charges werever filed against the kidnappers, and the Arizona Supreme Court ruled that the Irish priest had picked bad homes because he hadn't taken racism into account, or rather that he had gone against the cultural norms in how he placed the kids.
Speaker 3: Yes, you got a factor in racism to your decision making.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you doing thinking about what are you doing pod the immortal soul of the kids based on the theological framework that you exist within.
Speaker 3: Just you know, it's also fascinating to be like, this is a bridge too far. We sanctioned the kidnapping and redistribution of children, but not to Mexicans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, right, these kids can't even work.
Speaker 3: What are you doing.
Speaker 1: There's one story that might be apocryphal and might not be, but exists in the town's history where one of the orphans escaped her captors and moved in with her Mexican parents, who then like ran into the storm, like out into the storm, and then returned years later, which is like mysteriously they have like a red haired teenage daughter. Hm, and this is that's my Not all Catholics were bad to kids aside, because it's an interesting story I ran across. But now, well, soon we're gonna go back to the Catholic Church for portraying unheard of evils in Ireland and the people who fought them. Lots of stories of prison breaks, and we'll tie it into Shenade O'Connor on Wednesday. Don don dont Yeah.
Speaker 4: I thought you were winning for that or some other cool sound effect that I'm qualified to make.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, Sarah, I think you did.
Speaker 2: Sarah Sarah. Do you have any pluggables for us?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Oh, I should really have something ready. Will you accept a book?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Do I have to plug something that I'm doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure, it's a random thing I like. Okay, besides like children selling organizations.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, No, I don't work for Wayfair anymore, so cle I last week read Tina Brown's The Vanity Fair Diaries, and it's like the book I've enjoyed most in quite a while because it's her actual diaries from when she was running Vanity Fair in the eighties and everyone is in it. It's just like one of those murals in a restaurant worth of like eighties New York people running around and reading is fun when it's all gossip. That's what I've realized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. I also want to just shout out again the podcast you're wrong about. If you like cool people did cool stuff, you will like. And I don't have any you might like. You just will like Sarah Marshalls.
Speaker 3: Your totally sister podcast. Yes, yeah, absolutely, yeah so at Double Dip. Yeah, and I have a substack. I quit Twitter. That's my big news. If you see me on Twitter, I have gone against my own divine oath and what.
Speaker 2: Is this Twitter?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Sorry, I quit X.
Speaker 1: I joined Twitter in two thousand and fucking nine, but I never signed up for X, so fuck it.
Speaker 3: I'm out.
Speaker 1: And if you want to see me talk about the things I talk about on you used to talk about on Twitter when Twitter existed, like more context about history stuff and also preparedness and politics and all that shit, you can find me on substack. It's Marter Kiljoy dot substack dot com. But you're not going to type that in. You're going to type in Marder, Killjoy, Substack into into Google and you can follow me there, and half of my content is free, and then my more personal like memoory type stuff is for paid subscribers, but there will always be a lot of free content there. That's what I have to plug, Sophie, hmmm, I don't want to plug today your ears from hearing about bad things.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, that too.
Speaker 4: I would like to plug a podcast hosted by one Prop called Hood Politics with Prop on this very network, cool Zone Media, because it is really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Prop has been putting out some amazing episodes lately, and his editor Matt also makes custom music for every single episode. And they are both insanely talented and we're lucky to note them, and you're lucky to be able to listen to them for free or listen to them add free on cooler Zone Media.
Speaker 2: A Rah, Wow, that was so good. That was so fucking good.
Speaker 4: Ian, please please please tell me offline and how good that was.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Anyways, we'll be back next week. Oh no, we'll be back Wednesday. Damn, I was doing so well. We'll be back Wednesday with part two.
Speaker 1: Dun Dun, Dun, dun, dun.
Speaker 2: Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website.
Speaker 4: Coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple
Speaker 2: Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.