Speaker 1: Warning. This podcast contains spoilers for HBO's The Last of Us episode three. Plus at the end of that conversation, we're going to have a spoiler filled conversation that will spoil the Last of Us video game. So if you have finished the Last of this video game, you will be able to listen to that conversation. And if you don't care about that, you will also be able to listen to that conversation. Don't worry, We're also going to call that out very very loudly, very very obviously when we get to that point in the conversation to give you an opportunity to hit stop and move on. You have been warned. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosey Night and welcome to x ray Vision, the Crooked Media podcast where we dived it's your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 2: In this episode, we are gonna be digging into the airlock on one of the most heartbreaking episodes of TV sure that you will see in a long time, The Last of Us Episode three. I'm Ready, but I'm not Ready.
Speaker 1: It's definitely a like a little bit of a devastating hit to take on a Sunday, like at ten o'clock at night to like turn that off and be like, fuck, now I gotta go to sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do I do with my life now? And in that out we got a very exciting Star Wars theory from one of our lissons.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get into it. We're shipping out of the airlock and into the beautiful, scenic streets of bill'stown for the heart wrenching third episode of HBO's The Last of Us. What an incredible hour of television title A long long time written by Craig, isn't directed by Peter Horr. It's just an incredible hour of storytelling. We opened ten miles west of Boston. It's early morning. Joel as his as is his extremely compartmentalized way, has gone off alone to mourn Tests. He makes a cairn on the banks of a river and he goes back to the campsite that he's sharing with Ellie. Ellie is torn by the loss of Tests and her potential culpability for that, but she's holding it together and already just seeing them. There's signs that Joel is warming to her, despite the fact that yeah, he doesn't want treating her with frostiness. He's letting her user it's jacket as a blanket. He shares his food, presumably tests food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's whether it's an uncomfortable alliance. But Joel he he remembers what tests his lost words. Well, you know, he knows this was important tests even if he kind of resents Ellie for.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's a working man, and he's a man that will do the job whether or not it's a job he enjoys, you know, doesn't.
Speaker 2: Really good way out She has very Joel, he's he's never really changed over these twenty years.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's like, did he love working as a contractor? I doubt it.
Speaker 2: Did he do it?
Speaker 1: Did he do it? He did it? Ellie says, I've never been in the woods, more bugs than I thought trying to make small talk. Joel doesn't want to make small talk, does want to make any kind of talk.
Speaker 2: He doesn't want to be talking talking.
Speaker 1: But Ellie clearly wants to like preempt any kind of test talk and get something off her chest. She points out, And I think pretty I.
Speaker 2: Loved this moment. I thought it was like it really sets up who Ellie is.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, she basically says Hey, don't blame me for this, like that was terrible what happened.
Speaker 2: She's like, you made a you has chose to call you wanted Joel battery or whatever, and you made a choice and that's what happened. So don't blame me.
Speaker 1: And so you didn't have to take me. You made that choice. None of this is my fault. And they move on in silence. It's a five hour walk to wherever they're headed. Ellie asks you all if he has gone this way a lot? Just trying to make conversation. She asks about the scar in his head, which he says he got in a shootout. The guy missed and he missed as well. And she's like, well is that you know? Is that because you suck at shooting or.
Speaker 2: She's like, oh, but you're allowed to have a gun.
Speaker 1: The gun, She's like, where is can I? I notice you have two guns, so what's up?
Speaker 2: How's a gun?
Speaker 1: There's two of us. I have no gun. You have two guns? Can we share? No? That's a hard note on absolutely on firearm socialism. They arrive at a Comby's, a Cumberland farms staple of New England life.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say that was that was the you've been the Trumpies. Yeah, like this is like they were like, this is real.
Speaker 1: Joel is like, I got a cachet of stuff hidden here where you need it. And here we get a moment ripped from the game. Ellie sees a Mortal Kombat game. Now, a Mortal Kombat game in the in the show not what was it?
Speaker 3: Ninja something, Angel Eyes the Angel Knives was the main character, and it was kind of a very brutal video game with like a black lead who had like Wolverine type clause and she and Ellie.
Speaker 1: Knows everything about Mortal Kombat, which they don't give the backstory here, but I would assume it's the same from the game, which is she knew somebody who knew the Federal Orphanage who knew all about it, and she just really wishes she could play it. Meanwhile, Joel is like, where I myself? And Ellie calls him out on it, and he says, I'm zeroing it in on it all right. I'm just like zeroing it on wherever I hid my stuff. So Ellie heads off. This reminded me of twenty eight days later in the moment where they stop at a like a roadside gas station killian Murphy goes off on his own just to do whatever. Ellie heads off on her own. She finds a trap door, she goes down it clavi a plan, great plan. I don't know how she was planning to get up quickly if she needed to, but that's fine. She finds a fresh box of tampons, which is total score.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's like what the million nola's in the zombia worth.
Speaker 1: More than baggies probably, And then she hears the trademark sound of an infected somewhere and she swings her flashlight over and there is one trapped by collapse debris. And this is a really interesting moment where Ellie takes the opportunity provided by the safety the fact that this effect is trapped in the privacy, to like test whether she can kill a thing. Basically, you know, can I kill this thing?
Speaker 2: And is it really does this kind of like really clinical moment where she cuts open its head to see what it's underneath, and because also I think as well, that's that moment of self discovery, of wondering what would happen to her or is that already inside her?
Speaker 1: Like this?
Speaker 2: But it also has this scariness to it, of that disconnect from humanity of a kid who's grown up around this, who can just cut open a living being's face and then you kind of wait, and there's this moment of silence that almost goes too long before she actually kills it, and there's kind of this connection. Oh, it's really creepy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really resonated with me in that. You know. I'm sure as a kid people have had the experience of like the kids in the friend group who are like, oh, let's burn caterpillars with a magnifying glass or let's kill this. Yeah, the creepy kids, the creepy kids, right, And it felt like, here is this moment Joel's not around, nobody's around where she can kind of let the creepy kid out, especially.
Speaker 2: Because she's around these adults who kill people all the time, and there's this boundary that she's testing here.
Speaker 1: But obviously I do it?
Speaker 2: Can I do it? And the infect it is trapped like an animal, kind of trapped under glows. It's a really intense moment. It really jury very absolutely delivers on it.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's that moment where she points the blade of the knife at it to see like, is it gonna be afraid? Is there any recognition that it's in danger right now? And then you sensed an almost relief that there wasn't. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Meanwhile, back upstairs, Joel found his stuff and now he's hiding his assault rifle because there's no AMMO and so it's basically useless. So he's like, wait, hold on a second, you're just like throwing it in a hole. Can I have it? Joel says no. They walk on. They pass an airplane crash. Joel insists, if flying wasn't actually that cool, it wasn't that great, it was pretty You had to take off your shoes, which I can't even explain to you what that was about. That's the whole thing.
Speaker 2: It's a whole different time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like you had to sit in the middle seat and pay twelve dollars or whatever it is for a for a sandwich, which do you even understand what money was?
Speaker 2: Many?
Speaker 1: Does that ring a bell at all? And Allie's like, dude, you got to go up in the sky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's like, and they got to go up in the sky too, and they crashed, So classic optimistic Joel that.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of Station eleven when they're explaining the Internet to the kids, like so you could just like look up anything.
Speaker 2: It was just like having every book in the world just in your pocket.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, yeah, it was Actually I guess now when you say it that way, it's pretty cool. He then they start talking about like, Okay, what was the fall like, and a conversation actually that we've been having in our discord and have and fans have been having, which is, how did this thing start? Like if the in fact you have to bite people, it must have there. How did who's a chicken in the egg?
Speaker 2: Question?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But what Joel kind of reveals, Hey, and this is different from the game is this was like a day in the game, it's over months. But here he's like, it was dun, dundun. It was in the theory is which we've talked about. I don't want to say we.
Speaker 1: Were right.
Speaker 4: Our discord discord was definitely right, but basically like it was in it had been in the food, it had been in the wheat, and people started to get sick and it just happened really quickly.
Speaker 2: So something I think is really interesting about this reveal is that means that where we saw the doctor in Jakarta last episode, that was probably zero. That was probably ground zero, and that was probably the beginning. And by the time that Sarah and Joel and Tommy heard about it, that was when it was starting to spread.
Speaker 1: So he says, yeah, like it probably was a very very basic food stuff got into the food supply, hit supermarket shelves on a Thursday, this is two thousand and three. People bought it, used it, made raisin cookies out of it, biscuits biscuits, and infected themselves. And then the next day, late Friday, September twenty six, two thousand and three, the shit absolutely hit the fan and by Monday it was all gone. They later cut across They come to a stretch of the path where Joel's like, let's cut across the woods. So there's something up there that I don't want you to see. And all He's like, what, like you murder a guy? Like is it gonna be? Is it something that can hurt me? He's like no, He's like, then I want to see it. So they go and it is a mass grave. And what we learn is that in the chaos and confusion of Outbreak day post outbreak Day, and this is now a week after outbreak Day. Joel says, this happened. The military went small towns across the country, evacuating people, telling them you're going to ACZ and that was true. But if there was no room at the QZ, you were going to a mask grave where you're going to get gunned down. And that was it. And Allie says, why why not just like leave them? And Joel says, because it's people. In fact, it exactly x ray Vision will be back, and we're back. We flash back to nine thirty, two thousand and three. Federal forces are evacuating a town, which, man, they got that together pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Oh they were ready.
Speaker 1: They were ready.
Speaker 2: The conspiracy theorists probably have a lot of thoughts about how quickly they were able to militarize and evacuate these I mean, there's a lot.
Speaker 1: Of questions, right just to pause here, It's like number one, do the president un any bread? Like on Thursday night? You know, like how in the the Cavilian leadership, like who what's left do you? How do you get let's say this did happen and you're telling up some kind of military force Okay, you got to round people up and taking the qus and those that don't make it, you just kind of I'm asking you to be a mass murderer. You have to imagine that, like a large number of people wouldn't do this right, I would.
Speaker 2: Say that my cynical twenty twenty three opinion, it would depend where you were getting them from. There are certain places in the way that they militarized the country where there would probably be people who would be more eager. And also it's a life or death situation, you know, it's could you do that? I mean also, is it a real martial law? Is the president still there ordering that or are these just segments of the army that are left? Is there? I would love to know that. This is the I find this all the storytelling choices in this show so brave. I'm so happy. From the beginning, I said I want season one to be the first game, and that's what they're doing. But I could also watch a whole series just about the establishment of FEDERA. Yeah, and how who is in charge, who's making those decisions, who's setting up the qzs, How would they know? How quickly could they do that? What was a QZ and how did they get to be the places that they were, Like was it just a space in town? And how did you keep the infected out? And before you had the tests, how did you know who was infected? There's just so many interesting questions and that kind of brutality of these like mass graves is like, is just so horrific. But it seems, as Joe said that that was basically as normal as anything else at the time, Like it just began and people accepted it.
Speaker 1: George W. Bush about to eat a piece of toast and a secret service guy and Andy Carr come up and solid fucking toast out of his hand. So we flashed back to September thirty, two thousand and three towns being evacuated. We see on the evacuation truck the woman and her child that eventually are going to be skeletons in this mass grave and watching all of this from his underground bunker which has is fully self sufficient and it has like full CCTV TV and a secret entrance. Below the basement is a bill and he's been waiting for this. He's been waiting for years. He thought this would happen someday and Unfortunately he was right. He whispers, not today, you knew world order, Jack boot Fox.
Speaker 2: And they come knocking on his door. They kick down his door, presumably, and they don't find it. He's deep in the basement. He's safe.
Speaker 1: So the coast is clear and Bill emerges and it's party time. It's time to set up shop. He gets his neighbor's boat. He rips everything out of the boat so he can use it as like a trailer. He's gathering supplies from home depot. He's getting all the best wines. He's taking everything from the grocery store that he needs. He goes to the nearby power plant and make sure the gas is on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just loving life. He's setting up this whole street to become his home. It's kind of idyllic post apocalyptic suburb.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful deal. He sets up a defensive perimeter anchored by an electric fence. He got the electricity on with the generator. He's got lots of traps, man traps, fire traps.
Speaker 2: He's got traps the shooting zombies if they come close.
Speaker 1: He's saws, circular saw traps. This guy is he loves making the traps. He's a saw I.
Speaker 2: Was gonna say he's he's got big jigsaw energy. He would do well as a serial killer if the apocalypse had not happened.
Speaker 1: And he's also a gourmand. He plants all. He enjoys the finding things in lot chickens. He's got some pork shoulder, pork butt, ready to wine, sautee it up in a in a beautiful wine sauce. He's he's living very fat. And he goes on like this for four years, scouring the nearby area for supplies when he means and returning to his little fortress town. And then one day he's alerted by his security system that an effected he thinks has fallen into one of his his pit traps around the perimeter. He goes over to see what's what's occurred, and it's a guy who is named Frank. And Frank has just escaped a couple days ago, escaped from the Baltimore QZ, which apparently has been overrun, and he's trying to make his way to Boston. And he was in a party of ten and now it's a party of one, just Frank and Bill. Very very wary, gun always at the ready, let's Frank out of the pit. And then Frank, who we are going to learn is just a very very charming person who is eager to make connections with other people and eager to show his worth as a person who makes connections, makes a connection with Bill and says, hey, listen, I'm kind of starving and if I could just like have a meal, that would be great, and Bill really against his better judgment, Yeah, I just want to say.
Speaker 2: Bill says, like, my one of my favorite lines here, which is like, I really feel like they were They were just like, this is nickoll Fermen playing Bill, and I really feel like they with him. They were like, you can just play it like if Ron Swanson was in a drama. Because Frank's like, oh, could I just have one meal? I have any in for two days? And then he's like, I realized that doesn't sound very long. And Bill's like, you can't just come hen and get a free meal. This isn't an Abby's. If you go people are gonna be coming in a restaurant. And then and and Frank's like Abby's a restaurant there there was no free meals, And they kind of have this banter and eventually like Bill decides he's gonna let Frank in.
Speaker 1: He also says Bill that, well, listen, if I let you in, everyone come in and tell every hobo in the area.
Speaker 2: Frank's like, I won't tell any hobo which, oh vagabonds will.
Speaker 1: Drift this which this should be our first hint that Bill and Joel are on parallel tracks. Remember Joel on the outbreak day passing a family on the road. No, keep fucking going, We're not stopping. Bill, had Frank not come into his life, is that guy who would not have stopped for anyone. So Bill lets Frank in. He lets him wash up hot water. It's fantastic, He gets an extra so excited, just go to have a shower, easy in the shower, and then they have a meal that is so much better than anyone could have expected. Apocalypse.
Speaker 2: Frank has definitely never eaten a meal that good in like seven years. Even before the apocalypse, he was probably not eating that good. Like Bill makes a Michelin start, it's a really good meal, and he brings out the best wine, and you start to suddenly realize that Frank is not the only person who's seeking connection. Like Bill might be scared of making a connection of trusting someone else, but having this person in his house. He's taking it seriously. He wants to be a good host, and it's it's really sweet, and nick Offman just gives the most unbelievable performance that is so endearing and awkward, and as he kind of opens up to this idea that he's not alone, even just for this one night, he kind of starts to spread his wings. He shows off the wakers. Frank is like the most enthusiastic guest, like he's so happy to have the shower, to eat this delicious food, to drink the wine, like it's yeah, it's just really two of them are so good together and talking leg of rabbit with with garden vegetables with a jou with paired with a baujolet as Frank notes like, oh my god, the wine and protein pairing is perfect.
Speaker 1: Uh. Then Frank's like, oh, like I said, she leve, but before I leave, I want to play your piano, which I've been looking at this whole time. And he goes over. He goes through the music books that he has there. It's a lot of old people shit, but then there is a Linda Ronstat music book uh, and Frank sits down kind of hacks his way through a version of Linda Rod's stat's a long long time. Bill is like Bill, who we should note by the meal and his reaction to this has very high standards for everything, and you're ruining.
Speaker 2: He's playing like the jauntiest ship. It's like dun dud. This is really chunky, like b and Bill is.
Speaker 1: Like, no, absolutely, it's a ballad, my friend. So then Bill plays it and let's be let's be honest. Bill's rendition not appreciably better than Frank's.
Speaker 2: No, but it's it's like, I'm sorry, it's more it's more heart, it's more hot, fast, and you can tell there's this message that Bill Frank he just wanted to hack away a piano and sing a song there. But Bill is like, there's a there's a there's yearning.
Speaker 1: And Frank Frank notices the yearning and he says, who's the girl that you were singing about? And Bill's like, there's no girl, and Frank is like I know, and they kiss and they become lovers that night, and years pass and they become romantic partners, and then we go three years later, Bill and Frank are now experience the kind of normal growing pains of a long term relationship.
Speaker 2: There in the hilarious context of like the post apocalyptic, It's like Bob Frank wants to like do up the house and do up the street and do up the boutique, and he wants to kind of create a space where other people can come and be safe because he sees the wealth of what Bill has. Bill and Bill is like, absolutely fucking.
Speaker 1: Right, well he saves that for last first, you know, wisely, I think Frank says, Hey, I live here too. This is my home too, Yeah, this is my street. All I want to do is like, you know, do the lawns, maybe do some topiary, say sculptures, paint the houses. Maybe I'll referb and then, which you know, a little bit of the rascal of Frank, which is like, and I've saved the most troubling part for last. I want to have friends over and we can't just.
Speaker 2: Been We'll stop.
Speaker 1: I'll stop you there we do, because I've already been talking to him. They're coming what And so then we flash to Joel and Tests having a wonderful lunch with Bill and Frank outside Bill unable to let go of his pistol throughout the meal, because I love when Frank is like, could you not? Could you just like at least not cock it.
Speaker 2: Also as well, surprise extra tests who thought we were going to get it. I'm hoping this means that this is a trend throughout that we might get flashbacks and Tests and Frank have this super sweet connection of just two people who are longing for something better. Bill and Joel they know they see each other, they see the connection that they have because Joel says to Bill, he says to him, I'm the same as you. Yes, I get.
Speaker 1: It, I get it. I get it. And Bill is angry about this, this the fact that there are strangers in the house. Frank goes with test, oh, I want to show you the inside, and Bill is like, the don't go inside you And Joel takes that opportunity, the privacy, that private moment with a gun on him to say, hey, listen, this is a relationship that can actually work. First of all, I understand you're wary of us. That's fine, but we have we have things that you will need. We have machine parts, we have medicine that your fence is going to fail in a year, I can get you galvanized wire that will last the rest of your life, like just any your lives.
Speaker 2: Because he realizes that that's really what Bill's doing. He sees that immediately that Bill the paston he's really keeping safe, is Frank?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's you're so right to note that, like Frank and tests immediately get on because what if Frank has given something to test? Maybe it's the pistol at that time, who knows? Tess like, are you sure like and he's like, no, this is this is You're gonna come back and relationship. Yeah, we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Trade it's a gun.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: We then find out what he traded it for.
Speaker 1: This is a relationship. And by the way, I have an idea for a code, so when we get on the radio, no one will know what we're talking about, and we'll use and this is the genesis.
Speaker 2: Of the pop must He's code. Yeah.
Speaker 1: As they leave, Joel warns Bill, hey, listen, the you've got a great set up here. The infactor are not going to be a problem. But raiders at some point are gonna get wind of what you have. They're gonna come. They're gonna come at night. They're smarter than the infected. They're gonna come armed, and they're gonna come here, meaning harm, and Bill is like, don't worry about it. We go ten years into the future now twenty thirteen, ten years of Bill's town to twenty thirteen. The town's defensive perimeter now includes stacks of vehicles.
Speaker 2: Were they doing the holes in the vehicles?
Speaker 1: So we understand that there's been battles fought here. Frank, they've gotten to the point in their long term relationship now where you start thinking about how do I keep this person around as long as possible. Frank has has put into place a kind of health regimen he's getting Bill jogging. Bill is very bad at jogging. Wants to keep Bill as hail and hearty as he can for the foreseeable future. And then he's like, I have a surprise for you, and it's a garden of strawberries. He got a packet of seeds for another gun.
Speaker 2: So we know he's set up some kind of gun running with tests. And at first Bill's like you see the old Bill where he's like, which gun and Frank's just like one. He's like, it's a little one. Don't worry about it. And then there's this whole it's hard to just watch the episode if you haven't watched it. I know, like a lot of our listeners listen to us first, especially with the Last of Us, because it's scary.
Speaker 1: Don't do that.
Speaker 2: But this is an episode that is not This is not a scary episode. It's scary in an existential heartbreaking way, but it's not jump scar scary. And there's so many brilliant moments. But this moment where Nick Hofman and Murray Bartle like eat these strawberries together and Bill is so happy to eat the strawberry is just so unbelievably full of joy. This was the first moment when I tear it up, and then I didn't stop crying for like the rest of that episode.
Speaker 1: The first moment that I teared up is right here where so they've been running clearly, like you know, Frank wants to keep Bill around, there's no healthcare out here, and Bill, understanding what Frank is doing, says I'm sorry for what getting older faster than you. And then this wonderful moment where Frank puts Bill at ease, just saying I like you older, Yeah, like you know that the older means we're still We're still here. And then Bill makes it a really vulnerable admission, and it's a thing again if you think about Bills as I think we do, as as a version of Joel, the kind of guy that Joel is, but who's let love into his life. He then makes this admission that I don't think Joel could ever make, which is, I was never afraid before you showed up, Like he gave me a thing to be afraid of losing. And it's just really really vulnerable, touching moment. Sometime later, weeks, months, who knows, maybe years, raiders come against the town. It's definitely not the first time, as he saw by the by the cars stacked up.
Speaker 2: Around, and we see by how specific Bill's traps are. He has flamethrowers that are sitting people on fire. He knows why they're gonna call me, he knows why the weaknesses are. But Frank, I feel like I feel like I love Frank, but I feel like Frank has not learned the lessons that Bill would want him to live.
Speaker 1: I think he's ready. I mean like he looked like he could, He looked like he knew his way around a pistol. Bill's doing finite but in terms of.
Speaker 2: Like, don't leave the door open, don't be like there was many times when I was yelling at him. But they they you know what they come out of it.
Speaker 1: Well, I will say, I think that the fact that Bill is already up shooting at these guys tells you a lot about their relationships.
Speaker 2: Exactly, which is like, Frank stays in the house.
Speaker 1: You stay in the house, like I will deal with this, you stay safe. Frank goes out to Bill, who, by the way, is like standing in the middle of the street shooting and guy's go behind something.
Speaker 2: Now Bill is like too, he's too rough and ready. He doesn't care.
Speaker 1: He's just behind anything, literally anything.
Speaker 2: It would have been good for Bill if he listened to that advice, because then he has.
Speaker 1: So Frank helps him into the house. And here again is this wonderful, touching moment where I love these moments where you see different where you see either Bill or Frank take the lead in the relationship and the other person let them. So here's Bill is wounded, lays Frank lays him on the table. He's getting some wine on his hands so he can he can touch the wound and get it ready. All the while Bill is thinking he's done, and he's telling Frank, listen, I have a list ready for you, and Frank is like, let's keep Bill talking. Yeah, tell me about I've made copies of the keys. You need to reach out to Joel because you can't be here alone. Joel will look off to Joe and Frank says something really touching, I'm not alone. You're here. Where am I going? And then years pass again.
Speaker 2: And they do a really good bait and switch chair right, Well, you see these two bited old guys and one of them is in the wheelchair, and you assume it's Bill because of the shoot thing, but we see that it's actually Frank.
Speaker 1: And they've got to be I mean, Bill's got to be late sixties at this point, right, and time has taken a brutal toll. Frank is sick, probably cancer. He's in a wheelchairs. As you noted, they're spending as much time as they can, drinking up the days in this home that they built. But then you know, they wake up one morning after going to bed together, Frank laying in bed, clearly thinking about how he's going to tell Bill what he wants to do in the morning. And then the morning comes and he says, listen, this is the last day. This is it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he actually even and this is like a really powerful representation I think of just like, yeah, it's just something you don't get to see. He basically pulls himself out of bed and into his wheelchair and he does it over the night. He wants to do that one saying himself.
Speaker 1: He's like, He's like, yeah, don't do that, Like I told you what happens if you fall asleep. He's so worried about him and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you said, Frank's like no, He's like, today is the last day.
Speaker 1: And he says, here's what we're gonna do. We're going to have a great day. I'm gonna take you to the boutique. You're gonna wear what I say.
Speaker 2: You're gonna wear what I pick right.
Speaker 1: Then you're gonna make a great dinner. We're gonna bring the wine out. We're gonna crush some pills on the wine. I'm gonna drink it. Then I'm gonna fall asleep in your arms. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And the outfits he's picking is so they can get married. They're gonna they're gonna get married. They're gonna have this ceremony the two of them. Then they're gonna eat dinner, they're gonna drink a delicious wine. Then they're gonna put some pills in a slightly cheaper bottle of wine so they don't ruin it. And and Frank's gonna kill himself and he wants Bill to continue on because he loves Bill, and uh, and we get to see this day that they shared together, and it is.
Speaker 1: Just well Bill is first. Bill is like, absolutely, I can't do it. I can't absolutely can't do it. I'm not strong enough to do that. He breaks down, But eventually because of the love and respect and the relationship they've forged. Which thinking back to that first argument where Frank wants to do the lawns and paint and stuff and invite people over and Bill's like, no, no, no, the basis of their relationship has been Frank pushing Bill out of his comfort zone and Bill not wanting to go there, but ultimately going there because of his respect for Frank. And there's a great and it's working out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's a great line here where Frank says to him, like do you love me and he's like yeah, and he says, well, then love me the way I want, which is to have this day and then to I mean, being sick is is so much pain just in an allegedly functioning society, let alone he's dealing with this in a situation where he says to Frank, you know, he says to Bill, there was no for this before it has happened, So what are we going to do? You know, and then they get to have this like and you know what, I just I was so proud of Bill in this moment, which is very funny to say for a character that you've known for like forty five minutes, because he just embraces it. But he listens to what Frank wants and he actually gives him that day. They dress up, they dress real fancy, they spend time together, they give each other rings, and then you know, Bill cooks him the same meal that he had the first day that he ever came to his house, and he replicates it and he cooks that meal and it is just such a beautiful moment. I mean, I was just crying like NonStop. It was post strawberries. It was just balling ball and Ballin Like these performances, there's so much love and nuance and tenderness and complexity, and it is just such an astounding piece of television.
Speaker 1: But then the wine comes out, and Frank drinks his wine, watches Frank drink his wine and make sure he's drinking it. Then Bill drinks his wine, and then Frank realizes, oh, there was already there was. You took some too, and Bills like, yeah, there's enough in there to kill a horse. Frank. Now it's Frank's turn to get pushed out of his comfort zone. He says, you know, I don't support this. This is not what I wanted, but you know, from an objective point of view, it's and they go up to bed to go to sleep together in each other's arms. Sometime later, probably days, a few days later, a week I think takes.
Speaker 2: It's unclear because and it's unclear for a purpose. Bill and Frank open and yeah, so in a recent enough time that no one else has found.
Speaker 1: The house, right from late summer to fall, Joel and Ellie arrive in the town and they find the house quiet.
Speaker 2: Joel is immediately like what the fuck. He knows there's a problem.
Speaker 1: The way he opens the door, knowing that Bill is a trap guy is very wary. He looks all around, goes to their bedroom, tells Ellie, U state right here. I'm gonna go look around. Ellie finds the letter that Bill left and and she begins to read it. Meanwhile, Joel is looking around. He sees that Bill's car is there's stuff, there's kind there's like the ingredients for a car battery that are like in place, just need to be assembled and then charged. So he's got everything he needs to continue his mission. And then he returns to the house and Ellie's reading the letter, and Ellie reads it to him, and it's basically about you know how Bill, here's some of it. So I used to hate the world. I was happy when everyone died, but I was wrong because there was one person worth saving. And that's what I did. I saved him and I protected him. That's why men like you and me are here. We have a job to do, and God help any motherfuckers who stand in our way. I leave you all my weapons and equipment, use them to keep. And then she stops because it's tests written there. Joel then takes the letter. He reads the rest of it, and he makes a decision there that okay, we're going to continue with this mission. He asks Ellie to see her arm. It is completely healed, and he says, okay, here's what was up before we met. I have a brother. He was in the Fireflies. He's in Wyoming. He's in some kind of trouble. We're going there. Maybe he knows where your firefly lab is. And then Allie's like, great, hey, and about tests, Like now this the letter is brought back, this kind of wound of tests, and she wants to apologize in this moment, but he stops. He He's like, don't ever talk about tests. Never mentioned her name, and in fact, we're never going to talk about our own history.
Speaker 2: He's like, these are the rules if you want to care with me, no tests. And we were wondering last week if that was something we've been going to see, because that is a rule that Joel lays out in quite a harsh way in the in the game. In the game that kind of almost like sets him in out back, kind of away from the journey that they've been on together. But it quickly, you know, the nature of their relationship means that they quickly find new paths to kind of reconnect. But yeah, I was very interested to see he said, no tests, no talking about our pasts, Like we're basically just travelers on this road together. But it is really interesting because it is this letter from Bill that makes him decide to save Ellie. That's basically like, to take Ellie where she's going. This is the letter. We are here for one reason, to protect people. Guess what. That didn't happen with Tess. In Joe's mind, he's like, here's this child, look at her arm. Okay, she's healed. This is real, And in that moment, he takes on that full This is not Tess's mission that he's doing because he misses her. This is him becoming the protector, the person who is going to get her to wear she needs to go. It's like a huge moment, and I think they did a really brilliant job of bringing that to life in a slightly different way than the game.
Speaker 1: The rest of his ground rules are, you don't talk about your immunity because people will just kill you. People just kill you. They'll see the bite, they'll kill you. And then third of all, you do whatever I say. Whatever I say goes and Ellie agrees. In Bill's bunker, Joel takes Ellie down there and we discover that it was the nineteen eighties. Music was from Bill and Frank. Ellie, seeing a wall of guns, asks for a gun again. Yeah, there's like fifty there. Once again.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: They then gather up what they need pack for the trip. Ellie's back in the house for a little while. She finds it a gun like either a nine millimeter or a twenty two, hidden in a desk, and she keeps it and they get in the truck, which Ellie has never been in a vehicle before. She doesn't know how to put on.
Speaker 2: She's like, this is like a spaceship. It's so cute because when you actually think about it, you're like, oh shit, yeah, cause it pretty crazy. It's like the Internet conversation. This whole episode has big Station eleven energy. Actually, it's all about like finding what keeps you going against like the most insurmountable odds.
Speaker 1: As they drive away, she puts a cassette tape in. It's Linda Ronstat's a long long time. Joel is about to be like, no, don't put any music, and I don't want to any music. One my oh wait, wait, hold on, this is good. This is good.
Speaker 2: I want to hear.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is good. This is Linda ronstat you this is this is a good one. And they drive off through the gates of town headed west, and then we get the last shot of the episode is like this a pullback through the open window from inside Bill and Frank's bedroom window. They're in there somewhere, but we don't ever see them dead. You only see the outside through the open window. And it's very, very consciously the exact same of the menu of the of The Last of Us menuscree.
Speaker 2: They have to press any button every time, and there it is.
Speaker 1: That's just simply one of the best hours of television that we've seen this year. X Ra even we'll be back, and we're back first, and we're going to get into a spoiler conversation that we're going to call out yes, but first I think what is really cool about this episode is the way that Bill and Frank's relationship is like a very pointed critique of Joel and the way he goes about Think about the way he just spoke to Ellie at the end. There you do what I say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also like there is this they sell it so well in the show because there's this This is not Joel's intention. Joel is not a predator, but there is this horrible power dynamic there where he's like this adult man who's like, you will do whatever I say. What I say goes, and you will have to do it if you're coming with me. There's just so much anger and fear that fuels everything that Joel does. Whereas Bill opened himself up to actually becoming somebody's partner and trusting them and believing in their agents and believing in their goodness and believing that they could bring something to their life, which is something that Joel has not managed to do since Sarah.
Speaker 1: Even with tests, yeah, I mean, even with the letter, which I think you're right to point out, is like a mission statement for Joe if you think about it. Joel has never done anything in this show as of yet that he's wanted to do. He didn't want to go and nothing's.
Speaker 2: Been of even his own agency.
Speaker 1: Right, He's getting dragged forward into one of the most formative relationships of his life. This this relationship he's going to have with Ellie, and every step of the way he didn't want to do it. He didn't want to go. He didn't want to go with Tests. He didn't want to bring her when he met Ellie when TS died, he wanted. He didn't want to.
Speaker 2: He didn't believe.
Speaker 1: Probably was thinking, I'm going to leave you with Bill and Frank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can look after you. You're safe here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to drop you there.
Speaker 2: He says, there's somebody here who owes me a favor. Yeah, And wouldn't that favor be to leave? Oh, you know what to do. You've got a call, you can take a.
Speaker 1: And I think it's that's the part that really hit me extremely hard, was that you know, Bill could just never if it wasn't for Frank, he never would have let anybody in his fortress town. And Joel is exactly like that. He's so beholden to his traumas and the fact that he quote unquote failed on the night the outbreak happened, that he like can't enjoy anything. I think about that that really telling moment where Tess says, Oh, can't you just like take the good news for you, just like accept that something good happened. Like Bill got to a place where he could accept something good happened where like he could accept that, Like Frank came into my life and that was really good, and now I am satisfied and I'm ready to go. Joel is like holding on to this terrible sadness and can't see can't see anything else for it. And it was so smart to use the Bill and Frank relationship. Is this spotlight on Joel as this wounded, traumatized person who can't listen to any of the people who he cares about. He doesn't he never listened to Tess, who dragged him on this mission. He's certainly not listening to Ellie. Like here's the thing, Okay, you don't want to give Ellie a gun. I get it. You know the open country more than she does. I get it. But why are we leaving this town right now?
Speaker 2: Like literally, why don't you handy some food?
Speaker 1: Stay here for a week. Teach her how to shoot safely, how to drive a car. Yeah, teach her how to drive a car, teach her how to do anything useful. But there's something in Joel that, because of how he failed Sarah wants to keep the people around him not infantilized. But I think you were right to point out. He wants to keep Ellie powerless and a weird way, not in any kind of like creepy way, no, but in a way of like I know best, I know what I'm doing. You don't. I'm gonna take care of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Especially it's like we know what Bill is like, there's probably meals packed in there. There's probably food for months. There's all kinds of stuff in that freezer.
Speaker 1: There's everything you could need.
Speaker 2: You could teach out to make traps. You could give her a different kind of weapon.
Speaker 1: You could full of music from every decade of popular music that existed, like it.
Speaker 2: Would I think now it's not running water.
Speaker 1: He's almost oh my god, electricity, why are we leaving this very what? Like you want to beat the snows? Like, what are we doing? You have a corrido.
Speaker 2: He's almost like out, He's almost like a shark. It's like he can't stop moving. He has to just keep going forward because if he stops, then he's gonna have to deal with what happened to Test. I mean, the reason Joel doesn't want to stay in the house is because he spent time with Test there. That why he doesn't want to remember that he ate the food there, that they had a nice time, that they had friends, friends that he never had, but he knows really they were friends. You get this moment where he goes outside with the letter and he almost.
Speaker 1: Is he crying.
Speaker 2: He's kind of keen aig. He's kind of silently yelling it's almost there, and he's out on that lawn where they spent this time together. But it is this is one of Joel's silliest It is this silliest moment because these two could have hunkered down here, even just for one night.
Speaker 1: They can just want to Joel, enjoy this, my guy the ground, Joel.
Speaker 2: What is the number one thing that we all know?
Speaker 1: You know this.
Speaker 2: Everyone who's ever watched a zombie movie or any kind of post apocalyptic story knows this. The worst thing out there is humans. Right here, there is no humans. Take your time, because wherever you're going next, it's going to go badly for you. Now you're gonna come up against enemies. You're gonna come up against dangerous things that are worse than the infected. So just take a minute not to mention.
Speaker 1: Do you want Ellie as this helpless package that you have to deliver, or do you want help because you're so right. Teach her to fucking drive drive a car, to make a trap, to make a trap, teacher to teach her to shoot a gun. Please just do it, you know, because you're gonna be out here facing a lot of danger, a knife, to do any amount of things.
Speaker 2: Have a conversation with her, ask her if she knows how to shoot a gun. She grew up in a zombie apocalypse. Let's just have a conversation. But Joel is he couldn't do it. It's a compulsion that he has to keep moving so that he doesn't have to deal with all of his loss.
Speaker 1: That's exactly that's exactly right. Yeah. Wow, what an episode. What a What a punch to the chest on a Sunday night? How do you go to sleep out?
Speaker 2: I know? It's literally like it's really funny because the episode opens and it continues our expectation of what the show is going to be. Joel and Ellie. They're in a beautiful forest. They come to a kind of post apocalyptic, messed up place. They have a conversation. We learned some more about what happened with the outbreak. That is kind of the shape of the show. So far and that's great, especially because Bella and Pager are so great, so it's like it's not routine, but it feels immediately like we've been tripped up when they throw you into this flashback that's actually the meat of the episode. I mean, the episode is an hour and fifteen minutes long, and I think the opening with Ellie and Joel is really that fifteen minutes, and then you get almost this like hour with Frank and Bill, and it is just such thoughtful, kind good storytelling. And I really love the way that this expands on like the tiniest hints that were given about Bill and Frank. You know, Frank is dead in the game. Bill is alive, and we know that Frank.
Speaker 1: Left in the game. But Frank Bill Bill, he got rid.
Speaker 2: Of his partner because he didn't do this, that and the other. But that the implication was there that they were gay, but that was a gay character who had been killed off screen. You didn't know what how, and you don't really know about Bill. That's not a big major point of his life.
Speaker 1: This is to me.
Speaker 2: I saw a lot of people saying this is a deviation, but to me, this actually just felt like like the best adaptations do when I am playing this game, now, this just feels true to me, Like, yeah, sure I met Bill, so in this version they didn't die together or whatever. But that relationship, that expansion of those characters and that experience that they had together, that feels so true to the game. And I love this, this feeling about one of my I'd written about this on Instagram, but how much I like the film, But I saw something that was a really great take from one of my favorite film directors, Timo Tanto, who's like this incredible Indonesian horror director, and he says, like The Last of Us was never about like vengeance. It was like about finding love that it was.
Speaker 1: The game was never about vengeance.
Speaker 2: He's like, it's not like the quest is not like Joel on a quest for vengeance. No, he's the Last of Us. Yeah, well there's a different vengeance. Yeah, but he's like he's like part one, it's never about like vengeance or it's about like finding love that it's worth being violent for. It's like that's why you're violent, is like these things that you can take care of. And I kind of love this to me. I was like, it's about finding things you can love and things that help you get through. But there's also this reality of like Bill killed many many people for Frank, Bill would kill raiders, Bill would kill the infected Joel not murdered multiple people on the Quest for Test and in the Last of Us, those two things are aligned, like it's like what will you do to protect the people you love? And that obviously, as we know and people have played the game, no is the biggest question about. Well, that's the Last of Us.
Speaker 1: It's a perfect opportunity then to talk about the Last of Us game in a spoiler filled way. So right now we're gonna transition to a spoiler conversation for people who have finished the Last of Us game.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we don't care about spoilers, but we don't care about sor this will this could potentially we haven't seen ahead of show. We haven't seen ahead, but it is most likely that this will be part of the show and will be a huge spoilers. So stop listening now if you don't want to spoiler.
Speaker 1: Spoiler, spoilers, boilers, boils, spoil that. So for those of you who have finished the Last of Us Part one game or know about the ending, let's talk about the ending. Now, So the ending of the game. Shocking moment you get to the lab, right as Joel. You as Joel, bring Ellie to the lab.
Speaker 2: This is what you've been playing for the whole game.
Speaker 1: This is great, right, it's going to save the world, right, you're you. She is in the room with the doctors, and you discover that whatever this process is that is going to bring the immunity out of her is going to kill her.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They I believe they have to take the fungus out of her brain, and it would kill her.
Speaker 1: It would kill her. And so Joel decides to kill everybody in the lab take Ellie out, Okay. Then Ellie wakes up and Joel lies straight to her face about what happened.
Speaker 2: He's like, oh, there was so many people that, yeah, you know who are immune and and they've never actually been able to find a kill it.
Speaker 1: So you're free to go, right, So, and Ellie kind of.
Speaker 2: Chooses to believe Joel in that moment. I feel like I feel like it's I feel like it's she does.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like she knows.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like she thinks he's telling the truth. I feel like in that moment, there's like a question there, but she knows that this is like you've got to survive.
Speaker 1: So here's what I could not stop thinking about watching last night's episode, and that is Bill and Frank is again is a direct criticism of Joel. And it's the way their relationship is built on this respect for each other, this love for each other, that is that can allow for the other person's voice to be her an agency, an agency. I I get what I get Joel being like, no, you're not killing this person that I love. Okay. What is fucked up to me is that you don't ask her what she wants to do. Yeah, does she want to save the world? You know? Like, here's what we know about Ellie. Is this all throughout the game and the show thus far, Ellie is the person who cares about everyone more than herself. She sees Marlene shot. She's known Marlene for three days, mostly as her jailor. She's like, oh my god, are you okay? Tess is infected. They're leaving her. She's going two days, she's gonna die. She's like, we can't leave Tess. We can't leave her.
Speaker 2: She has that thing that Sarah has at the beginning, we should have gone back, We should have gone back, we should have gone back. I love that read so much, and I think it is a direct critique. I also I'm just very interested to see the route that they go with that narrative. I think it's one of the best choices of any video game ever. I also think as well, I love stories. I talk about this book a lot when we talk about the show, but the Go with All the Gifts by Mike Carrey is so good and it ends in a very equivalent way, but with more of the agency put on the young girl in the center of the story. And I kind of like this idea of like who gets to choose who lives and dies in a zombie apocalypse? And is this just the nature of evolution? Like is should should Ellie die for a cure that might not work that would also end up killing it. It's really interesting. But the point is one they do a great like shadow of the Colossiest style trick by getting you to go on this journey and then mass murdering all the people trying to save the world and being like peace. That's incredible, but also as well, it's all about Joel's selfishness that isn't kind of a greater story. He is not wondering like who gets to choose who lives and dies? He's like, this is my child. I love her, and you are not going to kill her again, Fedra, fuck you.
Speaker 1: And it's the difference between you know, Frank saying to Bill, did you love me? Then love me the way I want you to exactly and Bill listening. Joel, if the story plays out the way it does in the game, will never get to the place where he can listen to anything that Ellie has to say, because he's always going to feel like I know better. I am the protector. God help anybody who gets in the way of me protecting you. And that's going to take any form that I deem necessary. And I'm going to keep from you all the information that I feel like is dangerous to you or is going to be troubling to you, and to act on, to act on your love for someone is understandable to do so. When the Steaks are the extinction of the human race, everybody else's family that is out here in the world them potentially dying, you know, dark centuries of barbarity and and raiders and slavers and all the bad things that are out there, like you could end.
Speaker 2: It big spoiler, a lot that will come back to bite Joel in the Lost of Us pot too. He will learn that lesson that there are other people who have families and other people who ones.
Speaker 1: And to not even like run it by Ellie, like I understand that that's it's a weight and a respon possibility that no one should have to bear. But to be like, hey, so here's the situation. Would you have wanted to go through with this if you could have a shot at.
Speaker 2: I think also, I do think that's actually a really interesting point. And I do think it makes the complexity of that ending kind of even more interesting because feder also don't tell her, And I think there's something very interesting, And like, I love the way that they chose to make this choice because they put you and make you so complicit, because it would be easier to make it more sympathetic by like having Ellie wake up and be like, no, I don't want to do this, or hear them and say I don't want to die, but they don't do that. Joel just tricks her, kills everyone, and breezes off and then lies to her. So it's really interesting. Yeah, I'm very I'm very interested. Now with the second season being announced, I'm very happy that they made this as one season. I think that ending has to be the end of this season for it to work. Now, how they're going to play season two, I think is really the big guest theory, because you know, Craig Mason, I think at the premiere he was saying that it's more than one season, which I would agree with. But the question is where do you start? How long do you how do you adapt the shocking opening of the second game, how soon do you do it? It will be very interesting to see, And I mean this has been such a huge hit for HBO that I think this is probably a this is a get making it as soon as you can.
Speaker 1: I think that this season Bill and Frank and the way they told that story is going to make the punch of Joel's decision, whatever it's going to be, it's going to make it even more.
Speaker 2: They could even do It's a nine episode season, so they could pull a game of Fernes and have episode eight be huge and then have the finale be kind of the smaller, more intimate fallout similar in tone and vibe to Bill and Frank, which is just him and Elli driving off afterwards and kind of dealing with the ramifications and the lies exact exactly. I mean, I'm so interested to see how they because it is not the hero's journey that we are used to.
Speaker 1: No, it's like it'sol is Like it's like if you entrusted the worst fucking hobbit with bringing the Ring of Power to mount do you know, like he's the best at killing everybody, And it's.
Speaker 2: Like if you just gave it to Golm and told him it's a strate because he's going to keep it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was just, man, the way that that episode made me think about the ending of the game is really amazing, and it's just so well written, so well done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I definitely think that's a not just because I mean it's only January, so it's obviously like the best episode of TV we've seen so far. But I mean that's unless we have the best year of TV that we've had in like two decades. That's going to be on every best of list because I mean there's just nothing like it. And for Murray and and Nick, that's that's got to be award system shutdown. I mean they were just so good.
Speaker 1: Well, end of spoiler conversation. Hopefully it has ended. It has ended. Now play the game. Go play the game. Up next Nerdout.
Speaker 2: In today's nerd Out, where you tell us what you love and why, or as you have also kindly been doing, share a very cool theory, the weird of the better that I have to say, you guys will have very legit theories compared to like our Timboil theories. Adam Pitch is a new theory today about Braun, one of the characters we talk about so much when it comes to Star Wars. And if you don't know the character, you first appeared in Timothy's Arn's Thorn trilogy and now Timothy came back after he was made canon, and he is just a blue skinned evil alien that everybody loves to hate.
Speaker 1: Tactical strategic genius, yeah, I mean he is political genius. He's one of the.
Speaker 2: Ultimate Star Wars villains. And when he was brought back into canon, it was just such a huge and I think that what Adam is proposing here is is very realistic. So Jason, I'll leave you to read the thing.
Speaker 1: Okay Adam writes, after seeing the Skywalker saga, we've all noticed the large number of characters whose absence in the finale is glaring. Dave Filoni is known to be an encyclopedia of Star Wars knowledge and could provide an answer as to why those characters are missing. I postulate postulating. That's how I postulating right now. I postulate that Thron may have recruited them to the chis Ascendancy Dunk dun dum. He continues in the Throng novels, Thron had been recruiting people to the chiesss cause after the fall of the Empire, Thron could no longer see the remnants of the Empire as a possible ally for the Chists. That's you know, they were not strong enough. We know from the Mandalorian and Rebels that Ahsoka is actively searching for Ezra and Grand Admiral Thron. Thron would likely see Ahsoka, Ezra, Grogu and others as assets down to ch if he successfully convinces some of all of them to go help the Chesse. That is a plausible explanation for their absence during the Rise of the First Order.
Speaker 2: Wow Wow, I mean that would probably be like the biggest twist of all time. If when Thorn showed up, he'd like recruited some of people's most favorite Force users to the chessis andency, everyone would be like screaming. I mean, I think with the Ahsoka show, yeah, I mean, it's it's not long until we see live action Thorn. It's got to happen, right People thought it was going to be Richet Ye Grant, which would have been great casting in the older Rise of Skywalka. But you know, I think it's I think we're gonna see it. I think it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: So we're operating right now in a kind of time period of Star Wars history that is not it's you know, post Imperial the Rise of the First Order, and we don't know a ton of what's going on there. But this would be fascinating. I wonder man Thron with Grogu.
Speaker 2: I mean, that would be dangerous. Oh my god, imagine if it with Thrawn, who saved Ggu because he wanted to use him.
Speaker 1: I could see Thron and Ezra too. I could see, you know, Ezra had those kind of flirtations with the dark Side or at least with a different No, it's just it was the dark.
Speaker 2: Direct all the days, we would have called it the Gray Jedi, but apparently you say that now you get in trouble. So I'm gonna say a flirtation with dark Side.
Speaker 1: But I could I could see Ezra working with Throng.
Speaker 2: I do think something very interesting about this is Grogu rejected the Jedi, chose the man Laura ways, so he doesn't fin Ahsoka rejected the Jedi, did not become a Jedi. Ezra, like you said, has had these flotations and existed outside of the classic Jedi space. So that is a very interesting read because those are characters with that very specific thing in common. They are not Jedi as we specifically know them, and they kind of of all rejected it certain points in their journey.
Speaker 1: I wonder how much of Thron's backstory is gonna be canon when they bring him over it ac.
Speaker 2: I believe that the Zon original trilogy has been recanonized and needed a new Throorn trilogy, so we have that.
Speaker 1: To draw from.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you know me, I'm a legends, I'm a legend superstan Aka the EU. So anything that brings those kind of wild that wild West of Star Wars storytelling in I mean, also we have the Acolyte coming out, which is going to be you know, through the told through the eyes of a Sith. I think there's a lot of interesting space that we could see some of these legends characters and a character like Thorn, who is animated canon but has not yet made it to live action, come into play. I would love to see it. I think that when they bring Thorn, that's going to be like a whole kind of different era of Star Wars as we know that.
Speaker 1: I've got to pitch I want. I want to see a imperial political drama like House of Cards. Okay, but it's Moth Tarkin verse Thron, both of them like jockeying for position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not a single lightsaber insight, you know much and or but like hyper political.
Speaker 1: Hyper political, just them like chess moves against each other, each trying to usurp the other, to be like the guy, the guy, the number one, number one guy, and then and then Darth Vader being like the wild card because he thinks he's the guy. I would like to see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would like to see it.
Speaker 1: Man, that was really really fun. Adam thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you have those theories or passions that you want to share, you know, we've had adubts about all kinds of cool stuff and the theory train is running strong, so hit us up at x ray at cricket dot com and as always, the instructions are in the show notes.
Speaker 1: Well, that's it for this really fun episode. What are great episodes to record and a fun thing to talk about today, Rosie, any plugs?
Speaker 2: Yes, I will be writing all kinds of cool stuff. We're coming up to Antman and the Wasp time. You can check out my writing ign notice then of geek Polygon, all those cool places you can find me a Rosie marks on Instagram or later boxed and yeah where people find.
Speaker 1: You, you can find me right here twice a week, yeah baby, and Fridays in your podcast feed and other places. We'll talk about that later. Catch the next episode on Friday, February fourth for a little mailbag action. Remember, we are bringing you to episodes a week, two episodes a week. That's one, two episodes a week. Make a peace sign. That's how many episodes a week we are bringing you.
Speaker 2: And if you like those episodes, then subscribe on YouTube where we are now putting up the whole episodes, and you can follow us on XRV pod on Twitter and check out our discord, which we've been shouting out a lot because it's a lot of fun. We've got a ton of great members and they love to talk about all the things we love to talk about. We do him watchpot. He's for the last of us and me and Jason Odd there. So yeah, make sure you check out the discord and show.
Speaker 1: It some love. Five star ratings. We need them, we gotta have them. We will time you're giving them to us. Here's one from our crow Detroit. Great, great, great. The opportunity to spend time with Jason Rosie is truly one of the highlights.
Speaker 2: Of my week.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you. I'm an old school comic collector, sci fi reader, movie fan. You are my people. Yeah, one of us. Let's go us. X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Sol Rubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy's rhad Are editing and sound designers by Vascilla's Photopoulos. Dylon Villanueva and Matt de Group provide video production. Support Alex Rellaford handle social media. Thank you Brian Vasquez for the music, See you next time. Bye bye. Joel's got to hang out for a little while. Man, what the fuck.