Speaker 1: My name is Clay Neukman. This is a production of the Bear Grease podcast called The Bear Grease Render where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual bear Grease podcast presented by f h F Gear, American Maid purpose built hunting and fishing gear that's designed to be as rugged as the place as we explore. Welcome to the Bear Grease render Man. The Deer Stories episodes are some of my favorite of the whole year because I get to go and talk to all these people and cherry pick their stories. That's what you do. But usually what I don't say to the guys that are talking that I'm talking to, like Mo, is that you got to go through a bunch of duds to cherry pick the one that pick. Is that right, Mo?
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: I won't tell how many he's thrown in the trash that No.
Speaker 1: Actually, what's interesting is that to me when you tell somebody tell me your best deer story, that means something different to everybody. Somebody might tell you the most like sentimental story that they have. They might tell you about like the first deer their son ever killed, or they may tell you a story about how their uncle poached a deer when they were nine years old, you know, and something just like off the wall. You'd be surprised how many times that happens. And I go, man, that's a great story. You have another one that we could celebrate and you know, on the platform of American hunting culture fish violation.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Uh, but the good is there a statute of limitations on stories, Like when you do something violates.
Speaker 1: There's a there's a bear grease code of honor. Like we've told illegal stories on this hunting podcast.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 1: I mean when we talked about lou Dell and Charlie Edwards, there were a lot of illegal hunting stories. Andy Brown talked about his dad running over a deer being run by dogs back in the sixties in County. He run it down with the truck he did. I mean, it was, but it we justified it based upon the intent and the the the intangibles that it brought to us understanding where we're at today. So when Andy Brown told about his dad shooting deer with the twenty two and all this stuff, it made sense because now we're like, man, how much further we come along that we're you know, we're most hunters are thinking about conservation and the law, you know, compared to back when it was kind of just a suggestion. So the answer is, yes, there's a great line.
Speaker 4: I think the thing I love about the deer stories is it is kind of you're looking for the intangible things about it, Like, you know, there's that when you sit around the campfire at deer camp. You know there's that one guy that you just can't wait for him to tell any story. Yeah, the story of going to the porta potty before he goes to the deer stand is gonna be good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And we get to to have the the krem de la creme of all the deer stories. So yeah, it's a lot of good stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well I better introduce my guests. I've got Bear John Newcomb here here, and then we've got Josh Filmmaker present Mo Shepherd Law. I don't even need to introduce you, Mo. I'm not even gonna I may not even tell you something really nice that someone said about you. I'm mayried all the time, so don't imagine. Reminded me what Lake Pickle said about moment. Oh really, lake Pickle, Lake Pickle. But our guest of honor. You didn't know what Shane, You've been tricked. You're the guest of honor. This is my longtime buddy, Shane Almond. It's been It's funny. I hadn't seen Shane in many years, Like just like an hour ago. I was like, Man, you got old. You know. He was like he actually he said that to me, He said, you got old. But no, Man, me and Shane we go pretty far back. Yeah, we've been to Canada together, We've we've I feel like we've done a lot of stuff together over the years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've done quite a bit of running around Turkey hunting, bear hunting, yep, worked some shows together when you was doing the Arkansas Bear and Buck Journal before you bought Bear Hunting magazine.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, no, So listen, y'all you might not know this bear. Let me paint a picture for you about how the world used to be. Okay, got it. We used to live for this time of year for Walmart to get those see those DVDs up there. Yep, did we not shame?
Speaker 4: We did? That's fact.
Speaker 2: Moe went through a bunch of them.
Speaker 1: I mean, because you wouldn't even the world did not have much of an Internet presence, and so now we you know, people that are interested in hunting, are interested in kayaking, are interested in cars or painting their nails or whatever. People are interested. I think you can watch it every day of the year and there's all this content just to it wasn't that way. And in the fall, usually late August, maybe the first of September if they were late, they'd put on the shelves hunting DVDs from Primost to hs HS strut Night in Hale, not in Hall. Who were the jury's Who else was some of the good ones?
Speaker 2: Then you had Fitzgerald and no Feather. Yeah, that's going way back, burying Geene Winstle. They had probably the best, some of the best ones bow hunting, October, white Tails, really good.
Speaker 4: But yeah, there was there was a lot of them.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, the first time I ever saw Shane, he was on one of those DVDs. What, yeah, Shane was Uh we had a celebrity here, Oh, big time, big time? No, I wonder see, see you didn't know I had somebody in my back pocket, did you? No, Shane, tell me a little bit like you you hunted with HSI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so back in that so early early two thousands, a good friend of mine, Philip vander Pool, which lived there at home, which he he'd always been obsessed with videography type work, steal pictures and stuff.
Speaker 4: And and hunted a lot.
Speaker 2: So he got into kind of freelance video and and he we hunted quite a bit together. We would we killed a few he videoed and me killing a few bears. It was featured on a couple of videos, and then we uh, he got a a role working for Hunter Specialties, just freelance selling, you know, getting content for them and selling to them. So I the first few years that was good that we'd done that. I was the one that was drawing tags, you know, somewhere in the Midwest, would either be like Kansas, Iowall, Illinois wherever, and uh that was kind of the deal, you know, he would Uh, I was just wanting to go hunting, and he was wanting the video.
Speaker 4: So it worked out good for both.
Speaker 2: I was getting the hunt, you know, and which now we wasn't going on any guided hunts, I mean ever, everything we was doing was on public or permission land at that time. And then uh, so be it there one one of the years, I uh I was fortunate enough to kill a really good deer that was actually the color covered.
Speaker 1: That's what I bet money. I've got that dvdp there somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was that was a piece of property. It was just like today. I mean, we pulled up and talked to a guy and he said, yeah, you can hunt, which everybody had asked.
Speaker 4: He let hunt. I don't know how we was able to.
Speaker 2: Beat our way in there and around everybody else and ended up killing a super nice deer. How big was the deer one hundred and seventy two begging? Yeah, pretty good, pretty good deer for a redneck from Arkansas.
Speaker 1: So and then you, uh see, you hunted and filmed with Hunter Specialties for quite a few years.
Speaker 4: And four or five something like that.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that's then. That's the way I would have known you. It was like, hey, there's a Arkansas guy over there that's filming for Hunter Specialties.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: And then you shot professional.
Speaker 2: Archery, Yes, done a lot of archery shooting through the years, shot a lot of ASA and IBO tournaments, shot on it was on Matthew shooting staff for several years. It was a good time, met a lot of great people doing that still haven't done that in the wildest life gotten away, you know, doing other things and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, yeah, it's so, man, Bear you should you should get Shane to watch his shoot two or three shots. Man, he's a pro. I taught Shane a lot of what he knows, not about bow hunting, That's what I'm talking about. But I'm sure that he could transfer some of that knowledge back to you as a pro shooter.
Speaker 2: But matter of fact, I just remembered, so I went to leave us in like, oh two thousand and seven, ish was in Vegas shooting and just so happened with Wayne Endicott was on the line with me.
Speaker 4: I think you was up at Wayne shop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, supo Oregon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, super good dude, Yeah he was. He was.
Speaker 2: I've shot a few terms to him and he was just always a pleasure to be around.
Speaker 4: Super good, which they all are.
Speaker 1: That's just ever beat any of the real well known guys, just like one time or one shot that you'd like to high like now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably a couple of times or some of them. I had your chance.
Speaker 1: Like, man, one time I beat Levi Morgan.
Speaker 2: Now one shot had never shot against Levi. But but you know, you do have some really good shooters right here in your backyard that travel and still shoot professionally today.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of them is a friend of mine, Nathan Brooks.
Speaker 4: Yep. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Me and Nathan go way, way, way back. We run the roads a lot, you know. And when we was in our early twenties, so you know, thirty years ago, we've done lots of traveling.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And uh, and now you own a company called Muzzloader Magnum Products, Magnum Musloader Magnum Products known as MMP.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and it's y'all make now. Shane taught me the correct way to say the word s A B O T.
Speaker 4: That's always been a mystery to me.
Speaker 1: How do you say it, Shane Sabot?
Speaker 4: No, yes, that's not ever been on the list of options.
Speaker 1: Actually, I was going to call it a.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or depends on what part of the world, or now.
Speaker 1: You call it? Do you call it cou's deer, a cou's deer, a cow's deer, a cou's deer, Okay, and then you call a sabbath a sabot. The average average hill billy would call it a sabbath. Yeah, Yes, that's what Mo calls it.
Speaker 2: It's a sabbath.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well this guy makes them and his his company thirty years ago. I mean y'all created the.
Speaker 2: Sabbath correct, so both So yeah, in nineteen eighty five. So Dale Ramsey was the original founder. Deal was.
Speaker 1: It was a.
Speaker 2: Lifelong friend of mine. I've known him since I was a kid, and he uh he was an injection molder by trade, That's that's what he done. And he got interested in musloaders. Well back at that time, you know, there was really no good bullets. It's just a cash led bullet. Well, he got to want to do something different.
Speaker 1: I mean, guys were guys were just had they had these old like hawking style muzzloaders, I mean really primitive weapons, and they were jamming lead down those things where lead was. You had a bullet that was the size of your barrel that which seems like what you would have because that was all the technology for the last five hundred years.
Speaker 3: Had that or a patch ball, that's all there was. Well, I mean, yeah, you're right, and that's all there was for Yeah.
Speaker 2: I first started in the late seventies.
Speaker 3: That's the way it was. Either had a pass ball or you had a you had this little lead baller that either greased it or or just stuck it in their dry and shoved it down.
Speaker 1: And the accuracy was very low.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, So when when Dale started that, he got to he kept working with it and then got to shooting. You know, just a jacketed pistol bullet just still today they a lot of guys still used just a jacketed hollow point like a Horner of Day XTP or a Barns XPB. So anyway, that's that's the bullet he started messing with and got him to and then the had a product that was working. So he when he decides to go to the shot show and first of the year, he goes to Houston, Texas and just so happened, sets up a little booth and Tony Knight was there, which Tony nine is who not musloads.
Speaker 4: Well, that was the year that he introduced the.
Speaker 2: M K eighty five, which is an in line musload, first in line mostloads.
Speaker 1: Well change the game.
Speaker 4: Ye changed the game.
Speaker 2: So when Sodale and and Tony was at the forefront of modern most loading, that's and that's kind of how that got started.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 1: I mean so he but he created.
Speaker 4: The Yes, he created.
Speaker 1: Yes savage. Now I remember, I remember this from years ago. I was just talking about this and uh uh, there was some French French folks. Well, the reason it's a sabo, that's that's a French word for what does that word mean?
Speaker 4: Don't get me the line.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, it was because they used it with cannons. Yes, so they would have like you know, military cannons, but wanted to shoot a smaller caliber ball out of a bigger caliber hole. And so they somehow packed this this bullet in a am I right, Yeah, And so that was kind of the idea. Yeah, and then Dale was like, hey, I'm gonna fabricate injection mold this little plastic packaging for a forty five caliber bullet to shoot out of a fifty caliber muscle correct and what what what? What's the physics behind why that changed the accuracy of mussliders so much.
Speaker 2: I think the big thing was the quality of bullet. They get a little better bullet, getting them loaded better. And then at the time, whenever Tony invented the gun, it was so much ahead of everything else on the market. When you just have an old traditional Thompson Center renegade or hockey, and it was just pretty much not much rifling. Yeah, like a turn in forty eight.
Speaker 3: You know, then you have inline that has a wirlhood and it early straightens everything.
Speaker 2: That straightens everything out. Now this it just it just worked. I mean, it just it just is a good combination for you know, the everyday guy that wants to go hunting and don't it's not not wanting to reload, try to size bullets and things of that nature. They there's a good combination for just a general hunter for sure.
Speaker 1: And so he had the patent on that still does.
Speaker 2: He had to design patent when he first started and then it went away.
Speaker 1: Okay, so but for decades if you had a I can't say it any way, a sabotage bullet, Yeah, uh that you thought at Walmart you were using one of Dale's m MPs, which is now Shane's company. You're using one of their say boat, yes, I mean, and and you're still making them today, still make them today and still the leader in making sea boats.
Speaker 2: We try to be, you know, we we do have a competitor. I mean, they make a good product as well.
Speaker 4: I mean there's I.
Speaker 2: Know they don't Yeah, well I hate to down anybody, but you know, I think there's.
Speaker 1: A boat for both of us.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not going for anybody's stuff. No, they probably they might down mind, but that's okay.
Speaker 4: So that's kind.
Speaker 1: I just it's an interesting story. So I do Dale. Dale has since passed away. I met Dale just a time or two, threw you hunted on his place, and he was just an eccentric, real neat old guy just like super I mean super intelligent, probably way to buck forty sop and wet.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe yeah, yeah, he has Eddie's heaviest in his life.
Speaker 4: He was probably one forty yeah.
Speaker 1: And he was he loved to hunt, I mean, was a serious hunter, whitetail hunter. Grew up over here in Harrison, Arkansas. And uh, kind of a genius. That's the way I remember him, just with with his ability like with guns and I mean just a genius. And uh, I remember he said one thing to me that I'll never forget. I'll never forget it. It was it was at a time when in the outdoor space. I don't know why I was talking about this, but I just said, we've kind of done everything that we can do. I remember saying it was a conversation and I was like, there's no basically, I said, there's no room to like have something new in the outdoor space because like everything's been done. I mean we've got grunt calls and mechanical broadheads and air guns and rifles and pistols and I mean just camouflage and leafy camouflage and waterproof boot like. And I remember he said, he said, you're wrong. There there will always be innovation, yeah, always, no matter what, no matter which direction that you go and anything. And what it did for me was, uh, I believed him when he said it. He was just like, nah, there'll always be innovation, and uh it uh. I mean it's like the world is just so big, like there's just always a way to be better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that that's that's one thing that got me interested.
Speaker 4: And when Dale passed.
Speaker 2: Away, me and him had been talking about things, and you know, quite you know and question him and well, why don't we why don't you Why didn't you do this or why didn't you try this? Why not interested anymore? So he had kind of lost inert, wasn't interested in doing anything. But I kept talking to him and talking to him, and you know, he's told me a few things, Well I think this might work, or I think this may work, and uh, I kept that in the back of my mind. And then whenever after he passed away, and then they decided that the company is gonna go up for sale.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't want to just let it go away.
Speaker 2: You know, he didn't accomplish with him, He don't try, you know, so what's the worst can happen? I go broke, so well they're gonna do take my name at that point, you know.
Speaker 1: So so anyway we bold entrepreneur.
Speaker 2: So anyway we we uh come to terms and and got it taken over.
Speaker 4: And then I have actually been.
Speaker 2: Working on some of the things that we've talked about, trying to make a little better product different, not as not as much a design difference that you can see, but just improvements in everything that's available today. You know, there's better materials, better machines, better mold. I mean, there's this, there's things that you can be done better that will work. I think in more high performance guns better today than they maybe currently are.
Speaker 3: Increase the performance of the bullets and yeah, and now of the said boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, good try.
Speaker 1: I tried to say it, What does m MP sell that, like I would buy as a Muslim hunter.
Speaker 2: Well, we we sell bulk sabos or sabots who whoever to suppose, Yeah, so bulk packaging of those. And then we do offer some bullet and sable combinations for the guy that just wants to buy a twelve pack of bullets and don't want to go you know, we've got those.
Speaker 4: And we we do.
Speaker 2: Handle a few a line of athlon scopes optics.
Speaker 4: You know what's they make some.
Speaker 2: Pretty pretty affordable, pretty good scopes for the price point. They're really good and so and so we handle those. That's kind of where we're at currently, looking about expanding into other things. You know, have more of your one stop shop for muzsloud or stuff through the website. But uh, you know, kind of work in progress, you know, getting getting to that point. But yeah, so you don't sell like pellets or powders or any of that stuff. Now, no powders or pellets. It just seems like that is much that there's so much taxes has matt fees getting them shipped in and then having to turn around and reship them to somebody else. It's it's almost. It's proper hard. Yeah, pricing is hard. It's hard to get to, you know, make anybody a deal, you know, you know, especially when bash Pro and Cabellas those kind of places have that such bulk that they b with.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, speaking of Hazmat bart, have I ever told you about the time my my Pyrodex powder story a couple of times, A couple of times.
Speaker 2: You remember our decks four?
Speaker 1: Okay, good, I got I got an audience here, well yeah for that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's on that same heel where this one come from.
Speaker 4: I remember it. Well.
Speaker 1: Have you do you remember this? I love it. I love it when I got an audience, Okay, No.
Speaker 2: I may remember it when it comes out.
Speaker 1: One morning, it was late in the year, I was trying to kill a beart in National Forest on purpose. Uh, was carrying a muzzloader. It was it was late. It was it was right around Thanksgiving, and I remember it was a frigid cold morning, super cold, and I planned to walk the whole day, so I wasn't wearing a lot of clothes and uh, you know, I didn't bring a big jacket or anything. I was just like, man, I'm gonna be moving all day, and I didn't plan to get I left the truck before daylight, didn't plan to come back until dark, and I was gonna move most of the day. Well, when I got in there, it was just so dang cold. I got on the north side of this mountain, I was just freezing. I mean, I'm like a mile and a half from my truck and it's like eight o'clock in the morning and I'm just freezing, and no sun on that no sun on the north side. And I go, man, I'm gonna make a fire. I'm just dying. And I'm on this just a slope as steep as a cow's face. And I take a flat rock and turn it up like this and put another rock underneath it and make me a little table. And I'm sitting on this hill. And so the hill's going up and the table's right here, and uh, all leaves are wet on the or side, just sopping wet. Right, there's nothing to start a fire with. And I go, well, I've got some Powerdex powder, and so I take out one hundred grains the Paradex powder and I mash it up like mortar and pestel on that rock and get a pile of powdered pyrodex powder about that big and about that tall, two pellets, two fifty grain pellets, and I've got a little stack of half dry twigs like right here that I'm gonna light that powder and it's gonna go and then I'm gonna put those on it and whi and it's and everything's gonna be great.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: I was wearing a pair of glasses, I remember, and I had a lighter and all I remember is when I flick that lighter, mow, my entire vision was filled with fire.
Speaker 4: That is not a joke.
Speaker 1: I mean, I saw nothing but orange fire.
Speaker 2: What did you think he's gonna do?
Speaker 1: The way that fire comes out into those barrels, I don't know, man, No, you hadn't told me. I just thought it was just gonna just burn, like just a little just like just have a little flame about that tall. That'd probably lasts about a minute, minute and a half. And man, it just I'm telling you, it was everywhere I I okay, now, I don't want to over exaggerate this. I don't think it blew me back, but I jumped back and when I was on that hill, I like landed like eight feet away, and my glasses flew off, and my glasses had embedded like sparks in the glass. It was plastic lenses that they were like fire marks.
Speaker 4: Glad you had the glasses.
Speaker 1: Singe sinched my eyebrows. I was worked up so much after that. It warmed me up. But it singed my eyebrows, and you like burnt hair smell, you know, But it didn't it didn't, I mean it did it. It wasn't like any permanent damage. So anyway, pirate ex power powder. That's my Pyrodex story. And I proceeded to hunt the whole day and didn't see a single living animal shooks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's bear hunting in the late season two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Barr. Tell So the other day Bear told me a story, and I don't even think he thought it was funny, and I just started like cackling, laughing. Tell me about when you were mowing the other day. This has nothing to do with deer hunt. We're going to get back to deer hunting. Basically, I was mowing this yard and kind of like this little subdivision, old subdivision, and some guy comes walking down the road right next to me while I'm like getting a weed eater, and I can tell he looks pretty rough. But he walks up to me, and you know, I'm just like, how are you? And he's like, I'm doing pretty good. And he asked me, are you a fisherman? And I was like, as matter of fact, I am. And he was like, well, I've got a deal for you, and he like just starts starting so many and then this guy like stops him and he's like hey, hey, and uh. Anyway, he starts telling me about this bay liner boat that he's got like just down the road. He says it's a full Bayliner sixteen foot or something with an eighty horse Mercury on it, and he'd sell it to me for three hundred bucks.
Speaker 4: And I was like, well, shoot, my john.
Speaker 1: Boat needs a motor, you know if it runs an eighty horse mercury for three hundred bucks, like, come on?
Speaker 4: The story is that.
Speaker 1: Barrett then goes with the guy to check out this three check it. Yeah. We start walking and I start kind of asking him some questions about it, and he's like, you know, he's telling me like, if you just take this thing to the car wash, you get some gas in a battery. You'll have it on the lake by tonight. And I was just like, man, this must be a pretty good condition.
Speaker 4: And uh.
Speaker 1: We get pretty close to his house and he's like, and I'll tell you what, I've also got this two thousand and three Mustang convertible. It does it's not in running condition, but if you've got the time, you know you can get it fixed up. I'll give it to you for one hundred and fifty bucks. I was just like, what on earth? The items just start stacking up.
Speaker 4: So like, unbelieva unbelievable deals. Where's the boat on the lane?
Speaker 1: But I could tell the guy was pretty rough, and I pretty much knew there's a catch or say, isn't what it seemed? So I kind of went in there knowing I wasn't gonna buy anything, but I wanted to just check it out. I mean, sure, yeah, I mean three hundred dollars down the road. Well, anyway, we get to the boat like most cousins could be, and it was just the junkiest boat I've ever seen in my life, had like trees growing out of it, and was like, you know, all the flat tires, and he told me. He was like, just bring a battery and gasoline.
Speaker 4: He started changed off the trees out.
Speaker 1: And I was just like, there is no way that thing would start, and he's then he said, I'll tell you what. I'll give you the Mustang and the boat for five hundred, which is fifty dollars more when you do that one in a stand up comedy skit, that's your hook, all right, that's your hook, you say. And then he offered me a package deal, both of them for five hours. I laughed when he told.
Speaker 2: Me that story.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I told him, you know, that's that's a little rougher than what I'm willing to work on. And he told me, you know, he was like, put one hundred dollars down right now. I'll save it till the end of the Tattle program. Needed some can needed it bad and some cash. Anyway, I hated to leave him hanging his stuff. Yeah, No, it turns out it wasn't. It turns out it was his brother, his brother, and he starts he's talking to me like it was his and then his brother pulls up and he says, this boat is my brother's and we're trying to sell it. We're trying to sell you know, all this stuff, and so like he kind of like switched the story when his brother pulled up, but it was his brothers and his brother was going to sell it.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: But anyway, now, son, this is why I wanted to bring this up publicly amongst the community here, is that if you'd have had a regular haircut, that man would have never profiled you as a drug user with the mullet cut. Am I right? That's true?
Speaker 4: No, it is shorter how much you cut off your hair?
Speaker 1: Bear good, three inches maintenance cut. It'll be back in like six months. Okay, that was a great story. That was a great story.
Speaker 4: Okay, I was gonna ask Bear what he brought the show and tell today.
Speaker 1: Well let him. Let him tell the deer story. We're back on the deer okay, Uh, tell us about Dan. Oh yeah, well I was gonna get to this when where we talked about the deer stories, but might as well start because there was a story about a gar hole gar hole in somebody. Oh and uh, anyway, basically, we had this deer camp last year and uh River, my sister's coworker, she invited him to come and hunt with us, and it was like one of his first times to ever hunt. And uh, he had like, you know, good knowledge of how to shoot a gun and everything and basic safety. So uh, and he'd hunted before. So I put him out, you know, in this like pretty good spot that I figured he may be able to see deer. It was opening day of rifle and uh. Anyway, I dropped him off there and then I take me and then another buddy. We go and we hunt and we kill a nice buck. We come back and pick him up and he shot a spike and we were pumped. You know. It was his first dear, one of his first times, and we were just glad that he was able to get one. So anyway, we have like fifteen people at this camp, and you know, we have some like prime spots and so it's kind of like all the people that killed deer in the morning, it was like, you know, they're kind of getting the guar hole pretty much. It was just kind of like telling people where to go. So none of these people, a few of them had ever even been to this place. Yeah, so Bear's like, Okay, you're gonna go here, You're gonna go here, You're gonna go here, you know, he's act like he's yeah, telling people what to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So my buddy Dan, he kills his first deer, and he said, you know, I don't need to be in a good spot. I'm just glad I got one. I just want to go hunt. And so I didn't even have a spot for him. I just told him, you know, there's this, you know, I described an area to him and told him, you know, there may be some deer in there if you just go look for sign. And you know, I mean, he'd like almost never hunted, so he didn't you know, I couldn't tell if he would really know how to read sign or not. But I go hunt. We come back and he has a big wide eight point on the bed of his truck. So he tagged out on bucks in one day and it was his first time to ever public land and his second one was a nice eight point, real wide anyway, so he kind of like develops this clarified just because the audience may not exactly we all maybe on different levels of what big really big one. I'd say it was ninety inches, but it was it was respective Yah yeah, no, no, not the grade in the deer. I just don't want people. Yeah, he wasn't like a one hundred and thirty inch point yea, yeah, it was like two and a half year old, but real yeah, yeah, you know, like probably sixteen inches wide and a little four inch times I mean a buck anybody, Oh it was. It was the biggest buck we killed all the camp. And so he, you know, kind of he killed two bucks one day. He doesn't hunt with us for the rest of the season. Uh, you know, we he wanted to archery hunt this year with a bow, and so he got a bow like two weeks before season, and you know, I took him out shooting, showed him, you know, how to site everything in and he gets to shooting pretty good, and he says, you know, if you all go hunting one weekend, I want to just come. He said, I still have deer meat from last year, so I don't really need to kill anything, but I'd just like to go anyway. So he comes, and I've got four other guys with me that and you know, we kind of like dish out the spots, and he was just like, don't give me a good spot. I just because you know, he'd killed two deer and it had only been out in once, so he was pretty pretty happy with his success rate. And anyway, we h we put him. It was the same thing. I just had an area that I figured there may be some deer in and uh, anyway, he drove down there and he calls me right at dark and is like, and he didn't he didn't have a tree stand, he didn't have hunting off Camo. It was his first time ever with a bow, and he calls me at dark and it's like, I just shot one. And I was just like, you got to be It was a dough okay, but still off the ground. Yeah, he hunted. That's tough, isn't it. Moment that's tough off the ground at like ten yards too. I basically just told him like if one comes in, like draw away before it's close, and it's exactly what he did. And I mean, he just shot a deer.
Speaker 4: So you're basically the world's greatest guy.
Speaker 1: I was with him at all.
Speaker 4: I just but you told him where to go, you told him what to do, you taught him how to shoot.
Speaker 2: I mean, he seemed a place that he thought he might see something.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well that's a that's a great story to get us talking about the deer stories, Mo, what was your what was your favorite story?
Speaker 3: Well, there was two stories that was really good. A guy on there told both of them, and I think his name was Mos. I saw that one coming. Do you like kind of put you right there at the end. Yeah, yeah, he say the best for last. That's that's what you need to do. That's what clean up.
Speaker 1: That's what I did. I got. I gotta tell you what Lake Pickle said. I decided to'd be knowing to tell me he said, he said, we need more Moe Shepherd done there, That's what he said. He said, he loves the way you tell a story. So now Lake now lakes story pathetic, just a joke. Lake's a great friend of mine. He told a great story. There's the only reason I make fun of Lake give him a hard time is because he's such a nice guy. I don't think anybody else does. So I choose on my public platform to ridicule Lake Pickle with on X Lake all right, MO, go ahead.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the you you you've done a good job of cherry picking those stories.
Speaker 2: On all of them. I mean, they were all really good stories.
Speaker 3: The short stories were good, yeah, yeah, the longer stories were good.
Speaker 2: Uh, But I think my favorite one.
Speaker 3: Was the first one that that your friend Mitch, Mitch, yeah, told about the deer that you know, he set up on and and right there close to him.
Speaker 2: He thought he had a good shot. He apparently missed it. And then and then this.
Speaker 3: Other deer comes in and and I've had that happened to me before, you know, Uh, as far as a deer, you see a deer, then all of a sudden it just vanishes, and you're watching that area and you don't never see the deer again.
Speaker 2: You don't know where it went.
Speaker 3: And all it would take is take your eyes off that spot for five seconds, and the deer can turn and walk away and you never know it left that spot. Or they may stay there a long time in that same spot, especially old mature bucks that that are wood wise. So but I really liked that story about that because of this the way it all progressed through. And he talked about, you know, his patience, and and then he thought, there's no way, no way that that that little button buck, you know, could could bend that deer. And well maybe it was because ever saw nothing else move after that, and then all of a sudden, here comes that deer that he had he had first seen movement of, you know, twenty or thirty minutes, however long you'd been you know, yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: I think that you know, that happens all the time of guys get busted never even know it. No, they get a deer just comes in, A big one will come in, and man.
Speaker 3: It may pick up your scent, It may see a movement where you've turned your head or something other. Yeah, it could be several things.
Speaker 1: But you know, I think humans think about time differently than animals do. I mean, you've got to assume that they do. Like to us, sitting in one place for twenty minutes would be hard, and it would be hard because of a lot of different reasons.
Speaker 3: We're on schedules our nature, even as we hunt, we're on schedules. Yeah, deer's not on no schedule whatsoever.
Speaker 1: He wakes up and he has twenty four hours to survive, to.
Speaker 3: Survive and then start the next day for it.
Speaker 1: And so I mean that big buck sitting there for twenty minutes, I mean most people probably would have got busted or just or the buck would have just slipped away. You know, I think that button buck coming out saved him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think the deer would ever come down and where he was at that button Buck, because I think it had smelt where he'd done all the stomping around, yep, and it was trying to figure out.
Speaker 2: This's my thoughts on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Buck was stand up there thinking is that guy still around here? Did he just pass through? What do I need to do to breathe the next day? And I really think deer think like that.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know, but they got to think someway other to survive like they do out and where they're hunting, pressure on them.
Speaker 1: So m hmm, Joshuach was your favorite story?
Speaker 4: Man? I really like Keith Polk's story. Keith story, Yeah, I think it had. It was one highlight after another, man. And I think for me, having been in an old crappy tree stand for years, that you know, you get up there halfway and you're like, crap, I can't this thing is about to throw me out because it's tilted. And every one of us, I guarantee of adjusted those tree stands up while we're up in the tree because we didn't didn't want to climb down, and the way he talked about putting that wing nut on there and thumping it.
Speaker 1: He did a great job describing.
Speaker 4: But then from that to to go and to get his brother and then you know, rally racing back to get the deer, and then the way he described that vine going over the top of the truck.
Speaker 1: That's a great way he described. You know, when somebody's describing something, you know, some people could have just been like, well a vine tore down of the truck, right, But he described how it went over the hood, over the over the glass, over the cab, and you kind of envision it, you know, you can see it.
Speaker 4: But I could just I could see that, you know, I could see when when they tell when they when they tell said they took off with the tailgate down, I saw something's going.
Speaker 1: Is going to happen. Yeah, exactly is that The three wheeler made an appearance in that story. Yeah, what what did he What did he do? He just had a three wheeling. I think Keith put that in there just for me. Any story is gonna be better if it's got a three wheeler.
Speaker 4: But I just I love the nostalgia of that story with with everybody at the Shell station. You know, I mean that that that takes me back. Just everybody sitting around with tailgates down, and you know that unfortunately, those days are are pretty much gone. You know, everybody wants to race to get their pictures on Instagram, Facebook as quick as they can.
Speaker 1: Station that I put a picture of that. Speaking of the new Shell station I put I saw the picture of Keith's buck. It was a nice buck, Yeah, it was. It was bigger than I thought I thought he was gonna you know, the way he described it. I thought it was like, you know, he acts like it was real big in their mind at the time. But it was. It was a pretty good bus and nice even no matter who.
Speaker 4: To them, it was a.
Speaker 3: Giant because they were young hunters and absolutely dandy deer.
Speaker 1: So, uh, Shane, have you ever fallen out of a tree stand, the climbing tree stand or anything? Now?
Speaker 4: But I fell out of a hanging.
Speaker 1: Really, how far did you fall?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: My harness caught me, but oh I was I was eighteen to twenty up.
Speaker 4: When I fell out.
Speaker 1: How'd you fall?
Speaker 4: Fell asleep?
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure enough?
Speaker 2: Just rolled out sitting there with my elbows on my knees, and it's one of them, you know, good cold days and wind hitting you right in the face, and when the sun started pulling, you know, beating down now on, you know, just just dozed off. And I mean I just fell out, just head first, you knowing harnesses.
Speaker 4: Harness caught me.
Speaker 1: I bet that's woke it did.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, knowing that that, it took a It took a little bit to figure, you know, really sink in what happened?
Speaker 1: Did you?
Speaker 2: Did you have your teather at the rid? You where you didn't fall plumb out of stand?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I felt plumb out of the stand. I mean I was, you know, my chin was about it my pipe platform. You know, I probably had that much slack.
Speaker 4: I bet that was a chore getting back up in there.
Speaker 2: I got waller around there and got a hold of one steps, you know, and then kind of I don't, to be honest, don't even know how I got back in the tree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bet, I bet it was all adrenaline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I do know whenever I whenever I'd done that, and to kind of come to somehow my bow was, you know, here on the hangar, and when I went to grab it, I grabbed something where I don't what I thought I was grabbing at. But it uh, I had a hold of a string or cable enough that it derailed my bow, and so I went I had to go home, you know, repress it and put it back together. But yeah, it was a htr and it it derailed it and bent one of the montules.
Speaker 1: So I don't know when you went to grabbing for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I grabbed it pretty hard. I grabbed something pretty Yeah, I grabbed it pretty hard.
Speaker 1: Well. What made me ask that question was thinking about Keith in a tree adjusting a platform. Yep, one time, bear, I was. I think I was nineteen, one year older than you. I went and was hunting on a cold day when there was a bunch of ice on the north side of a pine tree. I went up like down low. There was no ice or snow, And when I got up to the top of this mountain to hunt, there was a skiff of snow on the ground and there was a quarter inch of pure ice completely on the north side of the trees. And I had a loggy value climbing tree which loggy values had a metal strap with a rubber rubber band.
Speaker 2: I just had a piece of rubber around that flat strap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right. Yeah, that's where I remembered it. It was metal, but it had a rubber around the flat strap. Well, I go to climbing this tree that's just covered in ice and I get up, I mean as high as I'm going to get team twenty feet and the rubber is grabbing onto the ice side, and it just it just wasn't a problem, Like you just just kind of went up it and it didn't can't really slide because the teeth were biting into the bark of this pine tree. But when I got up there, I got you had to kind of stand up to get turned around to sit in the seat. And when I did, I took my feet off of that platform and I didn't have a rope attached to it, and that platform just went down. It ratcheted like this all the way to the ground. Just hit the ground, I mean just just straight down. And no, that is actually not entirely true. I was standing on it and it went down and I caught like right here. I had taken my weight off of it and then went back on.
Speaker 2: It, and that's when it started.
Speaker 1: It went to the ground and I went down, but my arms caught on the on the top. Yeah, that makes sense. And so I'm hanging and it just ratchet and.
Speaker 4: You haven't gotten your harness hooked up yet.
Speaker 1: I don't even think I had a harness at that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's probably pre harness. Yeah, you just tried to rope around your waist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, around a belt loop now. And so I'm setting up in this tree, big pine tree, like probably eighteen feet, let's just say, and I just I'm comfortable, I'm safe, but I'm just.
Speaker 4: Like, what am I gonna just went on hunting?
Speaker 1: Wow? I basically just wrapped my feet around that pine tree. It would just lean forward as fast as I could and bring it down about four inches and just I mean it took me thirty minutes, but I worked my way down. Do you remember whenever I was like just learning how to use a climbing stand and I was like thirteen or fourteen right over there, and it was real cold, and I tried to climb like a red oak tree that was kind of like slanted, and I got all over the top and the bottom slip all the same story. Hard barked red oaks, Yeah, hard barked. And it was cold and you I was like to come get you. Yeah, you came with the climbing sticks. Oh, I forgot about that completely, forgot about that. And what do we do? Just put the climbing sticks up, yep, and I just climbed down. It was like right next to the house. I don't even remember.
Speaker 3: I know I'm the oldest one here. So I'll tell this little story. When I first started bow hunting, I was just a young teenager and we didn't even know what tree stands were. And back in the eighteen hundred, yeah, but I'd read a lot about you know, archery hunting. You know, your best if you can get up in the elevated stand above the deer. So I first started bow hunting for four or five years. You know how I got it. You know what kind of tree stands I set in? I stood on limbs. Yeah, I actually stood on limb with my recurved bow. And the first deer I ever shot, I shot shot standing on a big white oak limb on white oaks.
Speaker 4: Oh that's cool, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: And you know I wasn't that high up.
Speaker 3: I was probably foot off the ground or something like that, but it just enough.
Speaker 2: It worked At the time.
Speaker 1: That's some that's some primitive hunting right there, crouched on.
Speaker 3: And then I finally, I think I was about twenty five or twenty six when I bought my first climbing stand.
Speaker 1: And have you ever fallen out of one?
Speaker 3: Never felling out of a stand, I've I've done what he was talking about. I have dozed off a time or two. But that's something when i'm and it was on a on a lock on stand, which you have nothing around you or anything. And but I had my my teather on, my harness tied enough when I kind of leaned forward when I dozed off and went forward, I think that's what woke me up. I felt it pulled my shoulders like that.
Speaker 1: So you didn't go all the way.
Speaker 3: No, No, But if I hadn't had a if I hadn't had a harness on, I would have fell out that day, I think.
Speaker 2: Because I had dozed off. Yeah, yeah, but that was that was several years ago. That was probably twenty five years ago when that happened to me.
Speaker 1: Wow, Shane Watt story stood out to you.
Speaker 4: I like them. I like them all.
Speaker 2: That's all unique, you know, on certain aspects, but I mean really and it ain't because Mos sitting here. My favorite ones were Mo's because because I can I relate to what you get that Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know that's first person just told me that ain't said a thing about my stories.
Speaker 4: Yeah he's he won't.
Speaker 2: But now just because of knowing knowing what the country is like over here where he hunts, and it's a lot like over at home.
Speaker 4: I mean it's it's it's.
Speaker 2: Rough, it's big woods, hard to get to, you know, just everything about I can relate, you know, just kind of relate to it. And it's you know, you don't hear a lot of people, you know, talk about hunting in that kind of country, you know, really very seldom.
Speaker 4: I mean it's always you're either you know, in the South or Midwest.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a whole different a little bit, just a whole different hunting food plots or something like that, just just a whole different hunting experience. And I I mean that's what I've growed up done, and I just that's just relate to that. So I mean that's I enjoy it when I hear somebody talking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear you, I hear you, Uh, which which one dies? You like Bear. I liked Mitch Psike's the one where he killed the the big buck over the scrape. Whenever he talked about just seeing the deer across the road and then like finding this the pocket of white oaks, and then going up and finding those scrapes. That just it just got me didding for you. Yeah, that's all. Huh, No more stories. I mean they were all good. I also liked yours, mo. I mean you didn't want to say it, say it. I didn't want to say it, but no I did, just because it was like, especially the one where you were walking and you see the buck down below you.
Speaker 3: That just I hunt quite a bit like that, especially in my a loader or the modern gun. Clay knows that because that will and him has talked about that a lot, and and especially in places where deer get pressured at the times they stay bedded up.
Speaker 2: I've killed two.
Speaker 3: Three that I've watched get up out of their beds doing that same thing, not knowing I was there, and maybe even seen me. And I've seen deer get up and leaving me never get a shot at him doing the same thing. But it's it's I enjoy hunting that way. I guess what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 4: Now? What was the gentleman's name is?
Speaker 2: Somebody's the guy killed the kid killing the deer where he's pushing these defence down these horns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his name is Henry Sue's song.
Speaker 4: Yeah Sue song.
Speaker 2: He told the story last year, didn't he?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that guy is a he is. He is an incredible bow hunter. He lives in East Tennessee. Yeah, hunting country like that here. It is not a destination whitetail area at all. And uh, but those guys also hunt Illinois. His his truck, he has a a big, a big room, way bit like twice as big as this room. That is just literally from the floor. I mean, he's got deer mount starting about four foot on the wall. They go all the way to the ceiling. Him and his boys are real good deer hunters over there. But they spent a lot of they kill a lot of them in the big ones in Illinois. They got a I'm pretty sure they had a two undred inch deer in there, and wow, and a couple of one night. You put a picture of that last year, probably did.
Speaker 3: I was thinking I've seen to remember a picture of that last year, after the stories that you'd put on you know, social media or something of that room with all those deer and you said, this is yeah, this is a room that will anybody.
Speaker 1: That guy he's uh, he's eighty two, and I mean just just just couldn't wait to tell talk about deer hunting. I mean it was just giddy. I mean just like we were coming down through there. I mean, he was such a great guy.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then that little story to me, sometimes those little funny stories are I like them just because it's it's just something different.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I really like Bob Wilson's garhole story too. It's short, but it made it made me last Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because I think we've all been in like Bear was telling earlier, kind of gar hoole with these friends and that I think we've all been in that scenario if you've hunted very long on both ends of it, went to people that sent you to place, and you was thinking, why am I here? You know, ain't seen a thing, and then you took people with you that this guy coming, I wasn't expecting to be here, but we have. We've got to put him somewhere to go. You know, so we've all kind of been in that scenario if we've hunted very much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, Shane, what's your favorite deer story? You're like your personal dear story, like a big If I'd asked you, what would you have told me? Would you tell me about one of your big deer? Would you have told me about something funny that happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I've got personally probably one of the big deer that I've killed. But since that time, you know, it's the when I've witnessed my boys shooting deer and nurse it's just hard to it's hard to wrap the you know, explain that feeling to give when you see your you know, when your sons shoots his first deer, much less one hundred and fifty inch deer, which that was, that's probably one of the better highlights.
Speaker 4: Uh this last year, we had a.
Speaker 2: We had a buck that I had found there pretty close to the house, just showed up out of the blue. I don't know who where he come from, because that's that's out of the ordinary for a deer like that to be there. And uh so my my oldest son, which is has killed a lot of stuff and a lot of big stuff. He he told his little brother said no, I'll let you. I'm gonna let you hunt that deer. And uh, which was kind of shocking to me because you know that, you know, it's pretty generous, pretty pretty generous, you know. So anyway, we we me and Trenting and we we we hang a stand and I get everything, you know, set up the best I can for him, and uh, we was hunting every evening we could, you know, one season opening and evening after school or when I get off work.
Speaker 4: But so on.
Speaker 2: Uh, I believe I believe it was actually October first. It was one of them days kind of like this past weekend. It was hot there at home. We get out there and getting a tree like at four o'clock and just freaking, you know, burning up this one.
Speaker 4: You know, why why are we sitting here?
Speaker 2: You know, because it ain't just happened to look over he said, there's there's there's a deer coming. Well I get to watching, Well that's this freaking deer that we'd been you know, had got word of and I had had found him, got pictures of even so I knew it, knew exactly who it was or what it was, well, he comes out and he kind of bypasses this, but he goes through a strip and goes into a little bit of a uh a mode off field, you know, behind us, And I seen where he went through, and there was kind of an old there's a little a swe a swag in this field where they they'll come back and forth across. And I don't know what he was doing why he went over there out of the way went out. Next thing I know, we turned around here. He's coming right back on the trail that comes right by us, you know, and he comes in front of treading there at you know, eighteen yards and I'm standing right over his shoulder and he puts an there through him and we watch him fall, and I mean, it's it's just the dangous thing.
Speaker 1: A video with your phone, and I was, I was just shook up, Clay.
Speaker 2: I couldn't I had it in my hand. I couldn't even get it, you know, get it out and and vigear in our mind though, I was, but yeah, you know, but yeah, you know, so you cool, you know, one hundred and fifty in one hundred and forty seven.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's that's a heck of a dear Yeah, nine pointer.
Speaker 2: You know, if he'd been he he had a really really good frame. I mean he could have been.
Speaker 4: He was a nice deer for sure, really really good deer.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: But that's probably one of the biggest everything, you know, just yeah, mainly probably because he's a little his older brother sy y'all, let you on him and if if you miss him, then I'm going to go kill him. Well, he didn't miss him, so I guess that was a good thing.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool, man, that's cool. Well, mo, if you had an't made any more hunting stories since you told us that one, since I told you those, well that was eight and nine years ago. So yeah, I've had several stories. No, no, no, And now we were recorded you telling them like two three weeks ago. Have you hunted any of this year?
Speaker 4: Yet?
Speaker 3: Only one day is all. I've been one day with my bow and I bear hunting one day with my bow.
Speaker 2: It's just been so hot and it has been and.
Speaker 1: I don't remember it the last time it rained around here.
Speaker 3: They was thinking about that today where I live down here, you know, north of mountain Berg. The last marriageable rain we had down there was seven weeks ago, and we got a little over an inch and two days span down there. We haven't had we haven't had a drift since then. Our horse pastures are burning up. I'm feeding eight their horses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and wow, Josh, it's on your list.
Speaker 4: I have some white tail white tail trivia.
Speaker 1: Oh shoot, I forgot. Yeah, we got to We're gonna end with some white tailed trivia. So you didn't know what, Shane, but you should have been listening.
Speaker 4: I should have ever winds gets uh. This this from bear Yep, George saddle.
Speaker 3: You're ever gonna ride in that saddle I have.
Speaker 1: Look you can tell it's getting a little patina on it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see it.
Speaker 1: Now, that's the saddle my buddy cold.
Speaker 3: I remember you told me when you got that, he told you you better use it.
Speaker 1: So I have. I like to keep it in here on the on the stand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a pretty cool saddle.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, okay, trivia, let's go.
Speaker 4: Okay, I got five questions regarding.
Speaker 1: White How tell us the rules? Like the first person to answer?
Speaker 4: What I kind of want to do? I wish I had something for y'all to write on because I want I want everybody to give an answer. Yeah, I want everybody to give an answer, and we'll see we could be honest.
Speaker 1: We could be honest. Answer should we just oh? Because I could say the answer in the moke and cheat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I want I want everybody to say an answer, even if it's the same answer as someone else.
Speaker 3: But answer same white does because his answers, because.
Speaker 4: We're using the honor system here too.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 4: First question is regarding deer antlers. Okay, Baron and I were having this discussion. I think that wait minute, this is with the stories, right, No, No, this is white tail trivia.
Speaker 2: You know a lot of people from this country call them horns. Yeah, I know that's right.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought I thought it was trivia about the story.
Speaker 4: This is whitetail trivia. White I mean, we have stories. Trivia would have been way better, but we have these. We have these white tail hunters. They should know about white tail. Okay, okay, okay, So dear antlers start growing mid March to early April.
Speaker 3: Okay, where'd you learn that at They teach you that internet?
Speaker 4: The Internet? No, because I didn't see the inside of college. Well, I was told once.
Speaker 3: If they start growing as soon as they shed their horns, really they start han't read the internet? How Deerby just told me that though, so he's probably wrong, probably wrong.
Speaker 2: He didn't learn.
Speaker 4: How much can deer antlers grow in one day? An eighth of an inch, a quarter inch, a half inch, or a full inch, full inch, full inch.
Speaker 1: Half inch, half inch, full inch.
Speaker 4: There was one quarter of an inch. A deer antler can grow up to a little over an inch and a half per week. I mean you think about.
Speaker 1: That, How does like one hundred and ninety inches of antler fit in like the three month growing season. Do the map?
Speaker 4: So what it says, that's what a reliable source of internet no order inch per day?
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's do the math here from April, May, June, July, August, five months, thirty days, one hundred and fifty days.
Speaker 4: That's a that's an inch per day, well okay, I mean.
Speaker 1: Not every one hundred and fifty inches, So that's multiple points of that antler. Antlers you grow the total growth. So I think it could work. Your point, your your question was I was with you an inch a day.
Speaker 4: I thought I had as well. Yeah, sure, and that might be like.
Speaker 1: The kind of big there me and Shane or killing but will grow an inch a day?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Okay, question two, Question two, Yeah, in your mind this one is. This one is filling the blank. So you're gonna have to give me an answer. Okay, I don't know if you guys. So, I spent a lot of time with the White River fishing and in the fall, I see a lot of deer swim the river, even when it's flowing pretty good. And I'm always amazed at how.
Speaker 1: Does this job? Story time? Now, that is a question.
Speaker 4: This is the question. I'm always amazed at how good a swimmers deer are. Why is that? What characteristic about deer makes them a good first besides clay?
Speaker 1: This time, Shane, I've got my answer.
Speaker 4: There's a there's a characteristic about deer that makes some good good swimmers.
Speaker 2: I've never thought about that. I guess I don't have a good answer.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Mo their hair, Okay, what about it? The way it sheds water and stuff like that. It don't soak up with water, Okay.
Speaker 1: Webbed hoofs, I think mos onto it. I think it's buoyant hair. Like if you I know, a deer hide, if you put it on water. I've never done it, but I can just envision. It is a good point because, like you type flies, Clay and Mo got it.
Speaker 4: The reason is that deer hair. Deer hair is actually hollow. Okay. And they say that the buoyancy of the fair of a deer will keep a third of its body out of water.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, I know that was a pretty good question, Josh.
Speaker 4: Okay, what is the max life span of a white tail?
Speaker 1: Dude, there's got to be a you're.
Speaker 4: Saying max as max life span like the oldest deer, not the oldest deer, but but a max like general.
Speaker 1: Deer commonly lived at ten years old.
Speaker 4: Okay, but is that max? Would you consider that a max?
Speaker 1: Fifteen max? Sorry, change my answer thirteen.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say. I'm gonna say and you're saying average from maximum.
Speaker 4: Life Yeah, well not not like the oldest deer in the world.
Speaker 1: There's no such thing as an average maximum.
Speaker 3: That's why I asked, don't question the question.
Speaker 4: The don't question the question.
Speaker 1: If you.
Speaker 4: Don't get a podcast and you got a question every eighteen years ten, I'm gonna go ten twenty. It's twenty years.
Speaker 1: They can live probably in captivity. Is it shorter for bugs. I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's a good question they say. They said that deer typically live three and a half to six years, but can live as much as twenty Okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, on where they're at.
Speaker 1: Take what is the subjective?
Speaker 4: What is the max speed of a white tailed deer?
Speaker 1: Thirty five miles from now?
Speaker 3: Thirty four thirty six, twenty seven thirty is what they say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, price is right. What'd you say?
Speaker 4: Twenty seven?
Speaker 1: That's close?
Speaker 4: Okay. Last question, and this one is definitive. There's no gray area. Okay, good. How many states have the white tailed deer as their state animal?
Speaker 1: Oh? Gosh? Seven?
Speaker 4: Four, two three?
Speaker 1: Would you say seven?
Speaker 4: The answer is nine? Really nine nine states, which would be Arkansas, Illinois, Michigan, Mississippi, New Hampshire, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South South Carolina, and Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: So okay, that was pretty good, Joe.
Speaker 2: We had no winner, no winner, Yeah, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: No winter?
Speaker 4: Have you? Guys all were terrible answering this question, just argumentative, unruly, and there's no winners today. I'm not going to here. There are no winners on bear grease.
Speaker 3: But you have to look at the source of the questionnaire.
Speaker 4: Oh no, you don't.
Speaker 1: Oh that was pretty good. I like that. Yeah, okay, now see, I thought I thought it was going to be questions about the.
Speaker 4: Stories, like it's what here would.
Speaker 1: Have been a good question. What procedure did Gerald Brewer take when driving his truck to try to obey the law when he was with his young men? Tee?
Speaker 4: Now say against he took the cap He took the caps off of his muzzleloader before he put him in the truck. That's what. Oh yeah, okay, I see Jerald Brouh.
Speaker 1: Okay. Another question would be I'm just shooting from the hip here. Okay, so josh one, okay, we're continuing the trivia. Okay. How wide was the spread on the buck that Mitch Sykes killed? The Hide and Seek buck twenty.
Speaker 2: Two twenty four? Ward is right at twenty four.
Speaker 1: Ward, okay.
Speaker 4: Eighteen? I thought it was eighteen to two.
Speaker 1: Twenty four inches twenty four inches wide. Yeah, see the speaking of a shepherd. I was listening. I was listening.
Speaker 4: Okay, if you follow nukem on on Instagram, here's another question. What color was Mitch Psych's Ford Ranger?
Speaker 1: Was it gray? He didn't he didn't even have a Ford ranger on my Instagram.
Speaker 4: The picture you posted, I think, Oh no, I'm sorry, Keith Polk. What color was Keith Polk? What color ranger?
Speaker 2: Gray? Nope, I don't know if I've seen that or not.
Speaker 4: Maroon. It was tan. It was classic tan board ranger.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, this has been really good chain, it's been good to catch up with it. Hey, where can people find m m P? Like, how do they Who's who's the customer you're looking for here?
Speaker 2: Just a any musload or hunter that's needing parts. Just get on the website m m P sabos dot com and check it out and yeah we will we be proud to help you out. Or and you can even our phone numbers listened down there. You can call us if you need an assistance on anything that you may may need or think you want to try.
Speaker 1: Right on.
Speaker 3: Good seeing you again, Jane, than you. Maybe it won't be twelve years before we see Maybe not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't even talk about the where we you know, they met at an Arkansas Arkansas Black Bear Association event. Yeah, in the day, in the early years. Yeah, thanks for coming man telling stories so they're always good. Appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Barry.
Speaker 1: You didn't get to talk about yourself? But what are you making? Got self bow?
Speaker 4: Elm?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely, I don't don't.
Speaker 2: You don't have a clue.
Speaker 1: No, it's just I just know it is the worst.
Speaker 2: Looks like looks like white album to me.
Speaker 1: Now, why are you making an elm self bow? It's just the only dry stave I have. Oh really, I won't have enough.
Speaker 4: A traditional thing to make it out of elm or.
Speaker 1: I mean, people make a lot of elmbowsky, but it's not I don't the poor folks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, have you.
Speaker 2: Have you studied have you studied sas frash wood.
Speaker 1: I've heard some guys making with SaaS fras.
Speaker 3: But that's why I was asking you, because because I've I've noticed something made out of SaaS frash.
Speaker 1: It's had to be a pretty big It's pretty sad when.
Speaker 3: Out of elmwood I can chased some SaaS fresh it's bigger in Oh.
Speaker 1: Really yep, dang that'd be good. Well, yeah, I appreciate it. Good to see everybody, Yes, sir, and uh hey next week. Next week we're starting our Osceola series. We're getting back in all this all the bear greazers that it feel like they've kind of got to take some time off and enjoy the podcast, like with stories and stuff. We're getting back on track and we're doing some hard hitting history that means something. Okay, no, this, we've been working on this for like a year and a half. Yep, I read my first book on Ostiel a year and a half ago.
Speaker 4: Also, not to foreshadow, there's a potential of some inductees into the Bear Grease Hall.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. Yeah. So now I'm really excited about the Ostiola series that's gonna start like next Wednesday, from when you see this, but also sometime in the next month, Bear when when Misty's here, Brent's here, probably get my dad up here. We're going to do an official induction into the Bear Grease Hall of Fame. It's been like two years since we've done a Hall of Fame induction. I didn't realize that was an official event. Oh yeah, everybody wears suits and stuff.
Speaker 4: Black ty shoot plus one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a it's it's a big deal. It's it's been a couple of years and we've got a couple of candidates.
Speaker 2: Done a haircut. You didn't know it just for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you probably have to get a haircut for that, another one, another cut, all right, guys,